Bourque locked out by Habs now that injury has healed

reneweb

Rene Bourque has been locked out.

The Canadiens’ winger, who underwent abdominal surgery in the summer, received medical clearance this week and that means (a) he longer has access to the Canadiens’ training facilities and (b) he’s no longer being paid by the team.

Bourque, who came to the Canadiens last winter from Calgary in a trade for Michael Cammalleri, was injured while training in the off-season. Team physician David Mulder performed surgery on Bourque in August and the player had been receiving treatment at the team’s practice facility in Brossard.

Winger Petteri Nokelainen is still receiving treatment for an upper-body injury that left him on the sidelines at the end of last season.

In other news, Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin has assured Team USA general manager Jim Johannson that first-round draft pick Alex Galchenyuk will remain with the team at the World Junior Hockey Championship, even if the NHL lockout ends during the tournament.

Galchenyuk, the third overall pick at the 2012 NHL draft, is playing on Team USA’s top line. He’s tied for the lead in the Ontario Hockey League with 27 goals and is No. 2 in the OHL scoring race with 61 points.

(Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)

1. btcstore34 says:

input this URL:

( h t t p : / / w w w . b 2 c s t o r e . o r g / )

you can find many cheap and high stuff

Believe you will love it.

WE ACCEPT CREDIT CARD /WESTERN UNION PAYMENT
    YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

2. GoGioGo says:

No matter what you say against The Goat – and believe me, I do consider him a first-class a-hole for how the trade unfolded and all, especially the pay-for-your-jersey story – I think he got what he could for Cammy. The guy was playing terribly, I can’t think any team would have given more. Unfortunately, no other team ever hired Rejean Houle as their GM.

• Mike D says:

Absolutely agree with your comment. I just wanted to add that considering how Cammy was playing last season, his cap hit, and his ‘losers’ comment, I think PG was lucky to find a trading partner at all, let alone one who gave us that much value back.

Rumour was that PG didn’t really explore the market though so I guess we’ll never know what else we could have got, but I can’t imagine many teams giving us much to take a small, streaky, scorer who wasn’t scoring with a 6mil cap hit.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• wildwilly says:

I dug up Bob McKenzie’s piece just after the trade happened.
      Personally, I think it was a decent trade considering the prospects we received in addition to Bourque. Rene just needs someone like Therrien to “wake him up a bit”.

3. jols101 says:

With those rules I am surprised players weren’t intentionally running into the boards to dislocate a shoulder or stretch a hammy or groin on purpose, during summer training, to keep collecting those fat paychecks….

Bourque collected $4M last year for doing SFA. With escrow and his injury package he’ll get around 1.5M in 2012-13 for once again doing nothing. The Habs are then on the hook for another three years after this season at an average salary of $3M a year (3.3M cap hit). The best hope is that he can be a decent 3rd liner during that time. Bourque/Eller/Leblanc might just be a scrappy 3rd line next year that can also pot a few goals.

Regardless, there will be no tag days for this guy.

• Kooch7800 says:

He was playing just fine in Calgary and was on pace for 25 plus goals…then when he arrived in the mess of the habs last year he derailed

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• 24 Cups says:

That’s what I can’t really understand. Almost without exception, a traded player usually has a honeymoon period where he kick starts his engine and truly excels for a period of time. Bourque had a few good games and then just vanished.

As for the trade, there were so many factors that it’s really tough to judge. Did the Ghost shop Cammy around, or just make a panic move? Would there have been a 1st rounder at the deadline the way Gaustad brought Buffalo a mid rounder? Or Tampa and Detroit?

Would Hab fans trade Bourque, Holland, and a 2nd rounder for a 19th or 21 pick in 2012 and four years of 3.3M cap space?

Lots of questions.

• Kooch7800 says:

I still think we need to give him a chance. If it doesn’t work trade him. I have been impressed with Holland with the bulldogs so far

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• 24 Cups says:

I agree. My comments might sound critical but I’m certainly hoping that Bourque can play a solid 12-15 minutes a game.

A lot depends on where the Calgary pick lands up in the lottery. If they go low in the first it means the Habs go high in the second.

• Fake says:

Thank you finally with some open eyes, this guy is a bum.

• Kooch7800 says:

I disagree. Who is a bigger bum look at their point totals over the last 3 years and look at their salaries

talk is cheap it is what you do on the ice

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Fake says:

Okay Kooch here it is.

CAMMY:

28 GP 19 P (CGY) 2011-12 +
          38 GP 28 P (MTL) 2011-12

= 66 GP 47 PTS

67 GP 47 P (MTL) 2010-11
          65 GP 50 P (MTL) 2009-10

BOURQUE:

38 GP 8 P (MTL) +
          38 GP 16 P (CGY)

= 76 GP 24 PTS (2011-12)

80 GP 50 P (CGY 2010-11)
          73 GP 58 P (CGY 2009-10)

Now this really wasn’t worth my time adding + researching this stuff. Because all that really matters is how he plays for MTL, which so far isn’t good. IDC how much he’s paid. If he doesn’t play gtfo of MTL.

• Kooch7800 says:

My point is Fake, you can’t really call Bourque a bum when he played half a season in a mess of an organization and judge him on it. In the last three years their stats are comparable and bourque makes half the salary. Cammy would be a bigger bum

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Mike D says:

Bourque can be streaky and may look disinterested at times (AK46 anyone?), but I would argue the same comment can apply to Cammy – the streaky part especially.

Sorry, but when you factor in the cap hits, size, toughness, defensive abilities, etc. Bourque is the better deal hands down.

Cammy was a beast in the playoffs though and that is a big deal.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

So was Bourque collecting a paycheck all this time?

6. Kooch7800 says:

I still think the Habs did ok on the Bourque trade. Cammy was sucking it up hard and has a huge cap hit. Bourque is decent and we also got holland and a 2nd

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Fake says:

His cap hit isn’t that bad… Better to have a guy who’s mad that he’s playing bad and his team is losing, rather then a bum. We’re only saving around 2.7M by trading him for bourque, and bourque’s contract is two years longer. But we got a decent prospect and a good 2nd rounder so no issues here.

• Kooch7800 says:

Cammy was 6 mill a season for a guy who got to 50 points once as a hab and was getting worse. He was clutch in the playoffs and I do like him but I wasn’t liking where his game was going on the perimeter.

Bourque isn’t as good as Cammy that is why we got the 2nd rounder and Holland. I think Bourque will be better this season though
        edit -the season being whenever they actually start again

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Fake says:

Yeah and even 50 points ain’t worth 6M but he plays with heart and I’d rather 6M for 2 more years rather than $3.3M for 4 more years. And obviously the coaching staff and all that wasn’t even there so there we’re issues that affected all the players, and there were other reasons Cammy was playing not up to par, there was many more problems than what we saw.

• Kooch7800 says:

Bourque is tradeable if they needed to move him. 3.3 mill for a 20 plus goal guy is not hard to move. I don’t think the 2 suspensions and the trade helped last year either.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Mike D says:

I would agree that Cammy is the more skilled of the two players and was great in the playoffs, BUT, we definitely won that trade hands down.

Even from an asset standpoint, trading a 3.3mil cap hit is MUCH easier than trading a 6mil cap hit, especially considering each players average production and their size.

- Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• Timo says:

Except that being mad and all he hardly lead by example. As good as he was in that fluky playoff run Cammy did next to nothing since then.

• GoGioGo says:

That is really unfair to the guy. Calling out his teammates for becoming a bunch of losers, and doing everything to be traded, then denying he wanted out of here… you refer to all that as nothing ?

• Mike D says:

I think it was one of PG’s best deals to be honest. Longer contract but we got big cap savings, getting Holland and the 2nd was a huge bonus considering how Cammy was playing at the time, and we traded a small player for a big player which was two-fold in helping the size issue we had at the time.

Bourque played like shite for the Habs last year but I think/hope he’ll get it going and be able to pot 25-30 goals a season again. 3.3mil is a STEAL for a guy who pots 20+ and has a big body.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

7. GrimJim says:

Clearly, the lockout has to end now…

8. Kooch7800 says:

I guess he didn’t learn from Ryan Kessler….has to keep the injury going to get paid!
    “Keep your stick on the Ice”