Bournival returns to Habs lineup against Devils

The Canadiens begin a stretch of four games in six nights when the New Jersey Devils visit the Bell Centre Monday night (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Michael Bournival, who was a healthy scratch for Saturday’s 4-2 win over the Toronto Maple Leafs, will return to the lineup, playing on the fourth line with Brandon Prust and Travis Moen. George Parros and Ryan White look to be healthy scratches.

Carey Price is expected to start in goal, but coach Michel Therrien wouldn’t confirm whether Douglas Murray or Francis Bouillon will be the sixth defenceman against the Devils.

“I’m not going to discuss my lineup for tonight’s game right now,” Therrien told reporters after the morning skate.

After Monday’s game, the Canadiens visit the Devils Wednesday night in New Jersey, followed by games against Boston on Thursday and Buffalo on Saturday at the Bell Centre.

“It’s a lot of hockey, but we’ll have our breaks,” Brendan Gallagher told reporters after Monday’s morning skate in Brossard. “We’ll have time to rest to get ready for game day. When you have a day off, you have to take care of your body and do what you have to do away from the rink. It helps to prepare yourself, and when game day comes around, you’re ready to come to the rink and do your job.”

Max Pacioretty will receive the Molson Cup for November before Monday’s game based on three-star voting. This marks the second time his his career that Pacioretty has won the award, the first coming in January 2012. Price won the award in October.

In 13 games last month, Pacioretty posted 7-2-9 totals and was named the first star three times.

In other news, two Canadiens prospects – goalie Zach Fucale of the Halifax Mooseheads and forward Charles Hudon  of the Chicoutimi Sagueneens – were among the 25 players named Monday to the Team Canada selection camp for the world junior championship. Fucale was selected by the Canadiens in the second round of this year’s NHL draft (36th overall) while Hudon was a fifth-round pick (122nd overall) in 2012.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at Monday’s morning skate:

Bourque – Eller – Galchenyuk
Pacioretty – Desharnais – Gallagher
Gionta – Plekanec – Briere
Bournival – Prust – Moen
White – Parros

Subban – Markov
Gorges – Emelin
Diaz – Murray
Bouillon

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Canadiens vs. Devils preview, NHL.com

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Post-practice comments (video), Canadiens.com

First game in Montreal for Brodeur since his father’s death, The Star-Ledger

Team Canada junior selection camp roster, Hockey Canada

Molson Cup for Pacioretty, Canadiens.com

Murray filling big role with Habs, by Dave Stubbs

Subban should be on Team Canada, sportsnet.ca

Will P.K. go to Sochi? N.Y. Times

HNIC can’t continue to be Leafs Nation, by Jack Todd

Movember’s best NHL ‘staches, The Sporting News

1. db says:

So I like to read the comments here at work on my iPhone… But I am so tired of trying to match replies to the original post. Is there an update to the app coming soon?? Maybe if all the smartphone users pitched in a couple bucks each we can pay a developer? The comments are such a big part of the site.. there’s gotta be a mobile friendly comment version of a similar blog app out there.

2. Ozmodiar says:

New thread, and not a moment too soon!

3. habs-fan-84 says:

I can now fully appreciate why so many “goons” or fighters have suffered depression and or drug problems. Although Parros has been doing it most of his career, it must be tough to be sitting in the pressbox one game and the next night being forced to fight (as long as he wants to stay in the lineup/NHL).

Ya I get that he’s paid well, but as a human being it must be tough knowing you’re being used like that.

I don’t want to start another fighting debate. As someone who has supported fighting I simply wanted to throw it out there that perhaps I am softening to the idea.

4. shiram says:

So it seems the fanbase has come around for Murray, is it the same with Brière?
    His play seems to have improved alot and he’s making the most of the TOI he’s given, about 13 minutes per game.

5. VancouverHab says:

“…the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The movies are massively entertaining, but the books are duller than Jacques Martin.”

If there existed a symbol or abbreviation for pure and total gobsmacked stupefaction of absolute disbelief, I would place it here in response to this remark.

And I would apply a perfect ten of them in response to DipsyDoodler’s comment that the Illiad and the Odyssey are not “enjoyable as literature”: Homer, of course, feted as the supreme literary giant in the Western tradition by, well, by every other writer, young and old, male and female, ancient and modern, who would have plausible counter claim to literary supremacy.

Gentlemen, it is one thing to lack the organ of appreciation for the epic mode in literature; but it is another thing–and that not any good thing–to mistake your individual sensibility for a valid judgement of literary merit.

“You then whose Judgment the right Course wou’d steer,
    Know well each ANCIENT’s proper Character,
    His Fable, Subject, Scope in ev’ry Page,
    Religion, Country, Genius of his Age:
    Without all these at once before your Eyes,
    Cavil you may, but never Criticize.
    Be Homer’s Works your Study, and Delight,

Read them by Day, and meditate by Night,
    Thence form your Judgment, thence your Maxims bring,
    And trace the Muses upward to their Spring;
    Still with It self compar’d, his Text peruse;
    And let your Comment be the Mantuan Muse.

….When first young Maro in his boundless Mind
    A Work t’ outlast Immortal Rome design’d,
    Perhaps he seem’d above the Critick’s Law,
    And but from Nature’s Fountains scorn’d to draw:
    But when t’examine ev’ry Part he came,
    Nature and Homer were, he found, the same:
    Convinc’d, amaz’d, he checks the bold Design,
    And Rules as strict his labour’d Work confine,
    As if the Stagyrite o’er looked each Line.
    Learn hence for Ancient Rules a just Esteem;
    To copy Nature is to copy Them.

Alexander Pope, “Essay on Criticism”

6. DipsyDoodler says:

Duns – It’s like that judge said about obscenity.

I can’t define manliness but I know it when I smell it.

7. Strummer says:

Meanwhile on TSN.ca-
    Not a single Leaf story on the Home page.

Tonight’s Hab game is No.3 story behind WJHC and Curling.

On the Videos on the side Nazem Kadri radio interview on TSN1050 this morning is at the bottom of the page, well below 2 Hab stories- on tonight’s Habs game and Max Pac is a good Fantasy pick now.

Toronto Sports Network? Maybe the tide is turning

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

And the Habs crack top 10 in the TSN Power Ranking. Armageddon is upon us indeed.

• krob1000 says:

Both the TSn and CBC networks in recent years have been more than willing to grant the HAbs more attention when they were doing well picking up extra games and altering their schedules accordingly. Their opportunities have been limited for years as far as both promoting and being the backer of a solid LEafs team so whaen the LEafs are doing well they are all over it. I don’t think RDS shows a great deal of Leafs footage and they seem to talk an awful lot about the HAbs…hmmm.
      As for HNIC…RDS shows every HAbs game…so a big chunk of HAbs fans are already watching that broadcast, you can also watch oftten the road teams version if you are looking for english and have the NHL package. So what peopl ea re really complaining about is probably just smart business….of course they are showing the LEafs…how many English speaking hab fans are there to market to vs English speaking LEaf fans..pretty sur if any one of us were in charge and saw the numbers we would mae the same decisions.
      It is a business and they do what works.
      As for the majority oif the people on the show being Leaf fans..taht does appear to be the case but that is natural….but Milbury, Sherry, Stock….these guys are not Leaf fans…they do however talk the msot abuot the team the majority of their viewers are interested in…can you really blame them? The more I thinka bout it the more sense the new TV deal makes….there will be English options for HAbs fans and those telecasts will beleaning likely the same way they used to with Dick Irvin who tried but was every bit as guilty of letting hiss inner HAb fan leak through. Over time it will likely be the same once a steady staff is assigned to HAbs games..as is the case with RDS now. There will still be Leafs coverage though as should be expected…inf act eh HAbs are the last team that should be complaining…if anything I feel for the Ottawa Senators.

8. shiram says:

The prospect of tonight’s game is so boring, we are discussion literature… and Devils fans always give me a ribbing for suggesting they play a boring game!
    “Lemaire is gone, we play up tempo since 2003!”

yeah, right

9. Hobie Hansen says:

So do people still think Douglas Murray sucks? Or since Dave Stubbs and a few other journalists now have nice things to say about his game, they’ve changed their minds?

10. spos080808 says:

I am sure many of you have made mention of this, so I am sorry if this has been talked about: Markov’s next deal.

This scares me. Let’s face it, the guy has been incredible this season and going into next season it is clear his absence would be a huge hole to fill. Could be done via free agency, but that will be tough, and there is just no way Beaulieu will be ready to fill that top 4, top PP unit role, at least in my opinion.

So, do you resign him? I think we can all agree we would love to have him back, but the issue becomes at what cost. Look at what Streit just got in Philly and then look at how they probably already regret that deal. How about Gonchar in Dallas? Yikes. Then you have a player who brings no offense to the table in Seidenberg for Boston who is losing his speed day by day getting a fairly large deal for his age. It scares me in what Markov will be getting. 3 years at $6mil per seems to be exactly around a deal he will be looking for especially with the cap going up. But will he be worth it over these years? He will clearly want a NTC and remember it will be a 35+ contract. It is def. a tough spot.

What to do? What to do? In the end I def think he resigns, but at what cost, what length and will it come back to bite the team like these Streit, Gonchar deals have already?

• SteverenO says:

I am more concerned with Markov’ staying power for this season.

It is clearly evident that his poor play of last season was either as a result of his not having fully recovered from injury or his not being in top shape. Kudos to him for doing what was needed to get into shape and once again play up to his capabilities.

I am hoping that the coaching staff will start to manage his ice time with a view to not having him be worn out by the time the playoffs come around.

This is the time to see who else on the roster can step up and take some of the load off of Markov. If there is no one on the current roster that can take some of the load off Markov’s soon to be 35 year old shoulders, than we should be developing some of our young defensemen by sticking them in the lineup from time to time.

What would happen if Markov gets hurt? is it safe to say that a defence corp of Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz, Murray and Bouillon will not be sufficient to carry us deep into the playoffs.

The Boy Scouts motto says “be prepared”.

There are two ways that team’s can respond when struck with injuries, they can throw up their hands and say “bad luck” or they can prepare for eventualities. The constant alternating of Bouillon and Murray do nothing to prepare us for injuries and do nothing to help reduce the strain on our oldest defenseman. With 4 games oin 6 nights NOW is the time to call on our reserves and start giving some of our vets an occasional day off.

regards,

Steve O.

11. Bill says:

UCE: You just bashed A Song of Ice and Fire, Lord of the Rings, and The Iliad and the Odyssey. That is pretty bold stuff brother.

What do you read? Jodi Piccoult??

• shiram says:

There’s a time and space for books with lenghts like LOTR, and while I would not read it on a daily basis, it was a great read in my teens, and a great re-read in my early 20’s when I was away on vacation.
      Glad I got to read the books before seeing the movies though.

And such long epics are not for everyone.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Let’s be honest, the Iliad and the Odyssey, for all the awesomeness of the stories, are just not enjoyable as literature. I read my Greek Myths in the kid-friendly version by Mary Renault and that was the first time I remember liking to read.

The other ones are fantasy fiction, right? Unicorns and stuff?

• VancouverHab says:

“….the Iliad and the Odyssey, for all the awesomeness of the stories, are just not enjoyable as literature.”

????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Bashed is a little strong, in that I definitely took a swipe of LOTR, but for one I was quoting, or rather distilling what I’d read on message boards, and the other I was making a comment more on my lack of reading comprehension and faulty memory.

I plowed through the Illiad and the Odyssey, knowing they were benchmarks in Western Literature, and thought they’d be a good yarn. I knew they were based on an oral tradition, and that as such it would be a little stilted in terms of plot development, but overall I was glad I got through them, just didn’t retain a heck of a lot. Note this is at least twenty years ago.

I stand by my comments on LOTR though, as enjoyable as water-drip torture. Oh, this magic sword is unbeatable, but wait, now this magic axe has defeated the magic sword, blah blah blah. Lethally tedious. Totally didn’t live up to the expectation, after years of seeing what I thought were smart adults reading and re-reading these. The movies on the other hand moved the damn plot along, and the pictures did a much better job conveying what the insufferable pages of description couldn’t, which is breathe life into the darn thing.

Often the question is asked whether a movie ever lives up to a book, and in this case, definitely, the movie is not only as good, but a much better format and much more enjoyable than the book. But I’ll stop before I tread beyond ‘bashing’ territory.

EDIT: I’m starting “Waging Heavy Peace” by Neil Young, and just finished “Stonemouth” by Iain Banks, and “Beaux seins, belles fesses”, a novel translated into French from the Chinese that covers the period from World War II onwards in China.

12. Sportfan says:

For once Price doesn’t win the Molson Cup let’s hope the “curse” doesn’t effect the team! Who will be in nets for the Devils? Will it be Schneider, or Brodeur? I know its safe to assume Brodeur, but you just never know!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

13. Bill says:

Obviously I meant to type Euripides. Stupid iphone. Embarrassing.

14. Bill says:

Timo, let me save you some trouble. Try “The Trojan Women” by Euripedes. That’s the one where all the wives and daughters of prominent Trojans are either executed or given away as sex slaves by the conquering Greeks.

15. Caesar says:

@Dipsy there was no contest between Brutus and I, he snuck up on me with his gang. Game over!! Now Octavian vs Mark Antony —there was a contest

16. Rad says:

OK, my bad. I can now CONFIRM that the Dallas Stars are looking to trade a 6th Round draft choice in the 2015 Entry Draft in exchange for David Desharnais and Francis Bouillon of the Montreal Canadiens. The Canadiens, however, are holding out for a 5th Rounder in the 2014 Draft, having spotted a Brendan Grallagher look-alike playing somewhere in Eastern Europe.

17. Bill says:

Timo, I am not going to spoil The Iliad for you. Enjoy. I guarantee reading it will be much better than the next two games against the Devils.

• Timo says:

I read it when I was around 10 I think. And I can';t even remember whose wife they stole. I bet I wasn’t as interested in the whole stealing of a wife thing then as I am now. i might give it another read.

• Un Canadien errant says:

See my book report below. Save yourself the trouble.

I started watching “Game of Thrones”, and was wondering if I should bother with the books, and the consensus seems to be that the series does a good enough job of giving you the story, if you’re going to invest that much time reading, might as well read better books.

My feeling exactly as pertains to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The movies are massively entertaining, but the books are duller than Jacques Martin. There’s no need for anyone to read fourteen chapters on Frodo trudging up that hill, and how he’s soooooo tired and yet he perseveres even though he’s sooooo tired, but then some magic happens to prevent him but he gets saved by other magic and keeps trudging even though he’s soooooo tired….

• Captain Pike says:

☼☼

☼☼

☼☼

• Cal says:

Sorry, UCe, you appear to have missed the ship at the Grey Havens re LOTR. When I take into account the lengths of your reports, Frodo’s trek through Mordor seems less long. KIDDING! ;)
          Besides, what’s not to like about a story that pertains to the giving up of absolute power over foes and friends alike?

• Captain Pike says:

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve come to realize that sword and sorcery novels aren’t for me, I find they’re not honest. There’s always a hero who’s doomed, but then a wizard or magic beans save him in the end, in an altogether predictable plot twist. My magic can beat up your witch.

And when it comes to trilogies, I always suspect that when you set out to write one of these, you’re padding stuff in to get to three books. I say write a book, and if it’s too big, edit it, and only then think about chopping it into three.

• formerly known as the hc says:

The first book is almost a script for the series. (you do gain some insights that you wouldn’t get from the series). After that, the books and series somewhat stray from each other. Excellent series (tv and books). Just don’t fall in love with any characters.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I did read a lot of comments by people who said that Season 2 is a butchering of the books. The comments are somewhat divided, they explain that some characters who appear during the series are somewhat odd, and that the books have done a much better job of fleshing them out and giving background. A significant majority disagrees though, and says that the time investment is not really worth it, and/or that one conversation or scene in the series, aided by deft casting, gives you all you ever need to know about the character, that you get a great sense of who they are just by seeing them in action.

It’s interesting the variety of opinion, and how people approached the series, with some reading everything before watching, or others going to the books after watching a season or two of the series.

• Rad says:

I think her name was Helen. Quite a morsel, apparently.

• arcosenate says:

I think it involves a lot of men in skirts and Trojans , they may or may not be the same thing.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Wasn’t there also a wooden rabbit?

(Sir Bedevere: “Well, now, uh, Launcelot, Galahad, and I, wait until nightfall, and then leap out of the rabbit, taking the French by surprise – not only by surprise, but totally unarmed!”)

18. Say Ash says:

I read that if a story on the Internet isn’t adequately discredited it must be fact. Is this true?

19. shiram says:

Halak + Ryrder +2nd round pick for a legit #1 center!
    Make it happen Gauthier!

20. Bill says:

I see Burly’s rumour has hit the rest of the internet, haha. Play nice HIO!

21. Buzz Lightbeer says:

I like this lineup for tonight. I would imagine the same in game changes with Moen switching up with Briere depending on the situation. Glad to see Bourque get a shot with Eller and Chucky. Prust just didn’t seem up to the task. It’s been said a hundred times but i also would love to see Bournival on that line but MT seems reluctant to do so.
    I’m gonna guess this is the lineup we will see on Wednesday with Boullion subbed in for Murray and then on Thursday Murray and Parros will both draw in.

Getting blanketed in snow out here in BC. Seems like a perfect kind of day for a Monday snooze fest against the Devils. Gonna have a giant,hearty lunch and go for the beer and jagermeister liquid dinner while i watch the game.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

Galchenyuk needs to sit in the press box for a game or two. MT wasn’t happy on what happened last Saturday. I can see that if he does sit in the press box, he might learn something.

Bournival should fill in for him if I were MT.

22. Bill says:

Dipsy, no one stole Achilles’ wife. He didn’t even have a wife.

HIO’s grasp of The Iliad is seriously slipping.

*buries face in a nosegay*

• Timo says:

Then whose wife did they steal?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Man, I read that years and years ago, and the only thing I remember was the descriptions of the shields, like this warrior was so strong and powerful, he had a shield made of six oxhides, and four layers of bronze. Then, this other dude would show up, and get a load of this, his shield was of seven oxhides, and five layers of bronze. But then, no word of a lie, there’s this other warrior who shows up later on with, would you believe it, eight layers of oxhides, and …

It put into context the Spartan saying that mothers would tell their sons (I think): “Come back with your shield, or on it.” As in, if you’re trying to escape the battle, it’s kind of hard to ankle it out of there with that monstrous heavy shield, so you’d ditch it, but then had some explaining to do when you got back home.

So that’s about all I remember, along with all the captured warriors and their ransoms, and these always included massive amounts of cauldrons and tripods. So some prince was worth a bunch of gold pieces and oxen, but also twenty cauldrons and tripods. But then some other prince would get captured, and he’d go for thirty cauldrons and tripods, and so on, until some kings were worth lots of gold and herds or cattle and hundreds of cauldrons, and I wondered why they didn’t just ask for more gold and outright buy the damn things, and all I could think was these Ancient Greeks really liked their stew, with all them cauldrons changing hands.

So there you have it, that’s my book report on “The Illiad”.

———————————————————————–
      … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

• Dunboyne Mike says:

You think that’s bad, Bill. Ask him to define “manliness”.

23. Shackles says:

Desharnais and Boullion straight up for Pierre Lambert and Denis Murcure.
    ….Anyone?

24. Rad says:

Stars interested in Desharnais and Bouillon? If Bob Gainey was running that team I could believe it. But Jim Nill is too good a hockey man to trade for our leftovers.

25. billylove says:

Nice to see a little depth on the roster. It certainly gives MT some flexibility including providing rest as needed. It’s going to be a long, brutal road to the playoffs this year with the top players doing Sochi duty too. I’m very pleased with the effort to this point and Price is showing that with a little support in front of him, he’s proving to be an elite goalie, period. Durability for this group is my concern. Injuries are a certainty. It’s just a matter of how many and how serious. If we’re a little lucky in this regard, we should make the playoffs and achieve what I think should be the short term goal – win a series!

26. Bill says:

I wouldn’t trade DD right now anyway. DD, Pacioretty, and Gallagher … it just works. Worked last year, works this year. Those three are all on the Habs for a long time, so let’s leave that alone.

Next year we have no Gionta. Who’s gonna fill his spot with Plekanec?

What about Eller and Galchenyuk? They’ve gone pretty cold. What could get those guys going?

Clearly what we need is two more Gallaghers.

I found about 56 of them here, take a look through, I am not sure which two we should take though.

I’m leaning towards Sean from Sandwich.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah but Marc Bergevin and Trevor Timmins messed up, we didn’t have a fifth-round pick last year, and only have one this year. So that rules out finding two Gallaghers in the near future.

• johnnylarue says:

Bergevin just needs to trade all of his higher-round picks for multiple fifth round picks and voila–we’ll have a cupboard full o’ Gallaghers in no time!

• Colombiahabs says:

Galchenyuk with that vision won’t show his true skill until he is moved to centre. Not saying they should do it now but he will be the guy getting everyone going in the future.

• SteverenO says:

@ Bill:

wasn.t Galchenyuk, Eller, and Gallagher working pretty well also?

Why not reunite that line and now that Pacioretty and Desharnais have been “woken up” perhaps they can continue to do well with another wonger, such as Prust or Bournival.

There is no doubt that adding gallagher sparked DD and Patches, but at what cost?

Eller and Galchenyuk are no longer producing very much offensively, so I am not convinced that leaving gallagher where he is such a great idea.

I guess we will never know if Bournival would have provided the same spark to DD and Pacioretty as Gallagher did, or of DD and Pacioretty would have got themselves untracked without Gallagher.

I would think that the goal of shuffling the lines is to create more effective lines not simply shift the effectiveness from one line to another.

regards,

Steve O.

27. DipsyDoodler says:

I’m going to have to mea culpa myself here.

After seeing the Parros – Orr fight on Saturday I’ve revised my view of fighting.

Parros – Orr is turning into a compelling rivalry between two great warriors.

In 50 years time when they make one of those pregame montages, they’ll surely have numerous clips of the epic Orr – Parros rivalry. Long after we have forgotten who won the game or who finished above whom in the standings, we’ll remember Parros – Orr.

It was a manly display of manliness. Two men engaged in a manly contest of manliness.

No it wasn’t two sideshow freaks waltzing each other around in circles trying not to get hurt. Don’t ever call it that even if it might have looked that way.

28. ClutchNGrab says:

Between, the Bruins’ last game and the Bruins’ next game our Habs will be playing two games.

Seems a little unfair, but those games will be good appetizers before the main course Thursday.

29. slyCH says:

We can trade DD, I’m all for it, but what if Max throws a kinipshun about his pal and pouts his way to mediocrety, what then?

30. Bill says:

Dunboyne Mike, just for you, Top Five Reasons Orr Wouldn’t Fight Parros:

5) So many concussions, he always has to ask coaches who he is on the bench, and they keep telling him “Bobby Orr”.
    4) He wanted to, but his moustache is afraid of Parros’s moustache.
    3) It was before Coach’s Corner, so Don Cherry hadn’t had a chance to tell him what to do yet.
    2) Accidentally took wife’s iPod, wound up listening to Cher while lacing up his skates.
    1) He heard Nazem Kadri yelling at Parros, and had to go hold him back.

31. SteverenO says:

@ Krob: you wrote…………………………….
    have tried explaining this to you before…but what line do you think the other team play right after a pk? hint: it isn’t their fourth line. So since the Habs have a minimal difference between their top 3 lines offensively and they have the luxury of all three top lines being pp capable they look at the shift after as well…especially depending on whether or not the opposition has an elite top line. Shifts after a PK are huge shifts…on par with first and last shifts of period and shifts following a goal. TO have Pleks-Gio line ready to go to face top teams line after a PP is very benefical and definitely a factor.
    If Eller continues to play with Prust and Bourque that may lay the groudnwork for more PLeks line on the pp. Also, you have to consider which line was on the ice drawing the penalty. Also, you know that Markov and PK will have likely played the entire pp or close to it so you amp up the need for a strong defensvie line on the shift following the pp. If you gie up a goal ont he shift following a pp it is a big momentum swinger.
    ****************************************************

Not sure I foillow you, Krob.

Are you claiming that Therrien purposefully uses the less productive forwards on the PP so that he can keep the more productive line “fresh” for the shift AFTER the PowerPlay?

And he does that because of the fear of giving up goals against on the shift following the PP?

If that were so , It would be extremely counter-productive; Knowingly reducing your chance of scoring a PP goal (when PP goals are scored approximately once every 8 minutes) to prevent a possible even strength goals which are scored approximately once every 35 minutes?

My point is that all three lines are not basically”equal” (minimal difference) when it comes to PP productivity. If you have any stats that indicate how the HABS are doing on the shift immediately after a PP,please share them, and show how this “strategy” is working. Otherwise, you are simply trying to defend/justify illogical decisions.

By the way, Krob, does the same hold true re:Penalty Killing? Does Therrien purposefully put out the weaker defenders to kill penalty so that he can do well on the shift immediately after the penalty expires, (or a goal is allowed)?

regards,

Steve O.

• krob1000 says:

That is what I am saying. YOu seem to not factor anything else into your stats. YOu don;t fac tor in who was on the ie, who is struggling, whot he next line will be, who could use the confidence boost,etc. The difference in pp effectiveness is minimal….your stats are all shown in pp min per game which is not accurate. This is like saying an NBA player who scores 6 points in garbagetime should be an allsstar based on his points per 48 min’s. All pp’ss are not equal, all matchups, all scenarios and there are 5 guys on the pp and 4 guys stats are affected if one messes up, or if the other goalie plays well, or a bunch of other different things happen.

The key to the HAbs pp is Markov/Subban and with those two on there any line shoudl be productive enough. Personally I would believe PLeks is the best PP forward…because he is a dual shooting/passing threat. However, he is also the best shutdown guy and his line is the best 5 on 5 line the team has. Did you notice that Briere doesn;t play on that line in the dying minutes? Moen getst hat role….with who? with Pleks and Gio? that is MT’s most trusted line. Any one of the Canadiens top 3 lines is quite capable on the pp as they clearly have shown…just as the PK is quite effective as they clearly have shown. I am not sure why you keep going on about this given the teams success? I willt ell you that MT has clearly demonstrated that he is a defensive minded coach.

The fact that he allows PK and Markov the entire 2 minutes or close to it is his investment in thepp…but in order to do that he generally comes back with the Pleks line after a pp. Also, he does give PLeks linepp minutes but they when in other factors….the pp is used as an incentive in some cases, used to get guys going, etc.

I would suspect that in a game with no next shift and a late pp that he would have Pleks out there….because he is IMo the best pp forward….but you don’t go all in for eery pp because the rest of the game matters too and the other guys are not much of a drop off form PLeks on the pp….they are a singificant step back IMo when it comes to macthups.

There is so much more to coaching then you are assuming and Pleks/Gio is also a very valuable PK commodity as well so to be clear they are the best PP guys, best Pk guys and best shutdown guys. SO if you are a defensvie minded team and a successful one at that (2nd in league) and you ahve 3 lines that can all play pp and be productive..as they again have proven. Yet you have one line that is clearly dominant in your defensive schemes waht do you do? The answer is simple…you do exactly as the team has done. Well done MT and staff.

Over the last 10 games that the team has played its best hockey these are the forwards in on the teams pp goals
      eller/galch, bourn/pleks, eller/briere, galch-prust, briere, dd, dd/gallag,patch. MT has celarly been willing to distribute the minutes amongst virtually everyone and it is paying off…the team is balanced and all lines are playing well. Why is this not good enough?
      Hockey statistices are all taken with a grain of salt….your insistence that tehse are so important is frustrating because you thinkit iss so black and white…it is not. There is much more to the game and yes…to sum it up the shift after the PP is very, very important. There are two scenarios that happen after a pp…either you scored and every shift after a goal is huge…OR….you did not scre, the other team is riding a high from killing the pp and they are coming back with their top line…..either one of those situatiosn is far more ideal of a scenario to play the PLeks line IMO. In a gmae agaisnt a futile offesnive team then sure give Pleks line some more pp time…but I thinkhe does that already. The last stretch has seen Pleks have two matchups against Ovie, one aganst Crosby, Tavares, etc. The team is 7 -1-2 over that stretch…the one they lost and did not get a point was a 1-0 loss….so get over it….they are doing a fantstic job.

32. Strummer says:

Are any of Prust, Bournival or Moen a centre?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

Bournival played Center in Jr. I am pretty sure.

• doc359 says:

Bournival is a center.
      Prust has played center for us a few times. When he started on the line with the Gallys, he always took draws to take pressure off Chucky. He also is the sole forward on 5-on-3 PKs when Plex is off the ice. Looks like he will be the center on the line.

• Strummer says:

Looks like Bournival will have lots of space to make plays courtesy of THOSE two as linemates

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

33. Dunboyne Mike says:

Please help a poor expat who got NAILED for sneaking off to check the score during a family gathering Saturday night. Only saw bits of the game (furtively).

Why did Orr decline Parros’s first invitation?

Why did he accept the second one?

• Ali says:

game was 0-0 when he declined after he went after Subban, was 3-0 when he danced. Trying to “inspire” the team.

When you say you got NAILED….. no nevermind. Have a great day Mike!

• DipsyDoodler says:

Why do bonobos fling their poo?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I know an ocean separates us, but I am assuming you heard that loud whoooooshing sound.

(Ya you shutup, Oz! “Not the first transatlantic whooosh heard on this thread today”)

• Strummer says:

It’s a staged fight so Orr was just trying to fit it in his schedule.
      He said to Parros on the first invite “I’ll get back to ya”

And he accepted the second on the the condition that they just wrestle- minimum punching please and thanks
      ______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Part of The Code these enforcers live by is that they agree to their staged fight, it’s mutual, not forced upon one participant. Allowable reasons to decline are the situation in the game (although sometimes the other will insist, since probably his team is in the reverse situation and wants the ‘lift’ the fight will provide), the coach’s instructions, or one of them being a little banged up from the previous night/fight and no being able to ‘go’, although the latter is seldom used, these guys are never really healthy, and if they beg off too many fights for boo-boos the coaches will find someone else to do their job. And that’s how the concussions pile up, despite Don Cherry’s protestations to the contrary.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

When I say it was a weird passage of play, it looked exactly like what was really going on was something like what you’ve just described.

So if I’m PK, how do I feel?

“Uh, thanks George. I guess. For a second there I thought you were going to annihilate Orr.”

“Yeah, was thinking about it, felt the time was right and all. But Coltie didn’t want to. So. You know….”

“Yeah, whatever. I guess it’s the thought that counts.”

“Yes, exactly.”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, it’s kind of weird, but let’s say Colton Orr had gone over the line with a cheap shot on P.K., or something worse, then George Parros would have jumped on him and forced him to answer. This would have been a ‘heat of the moment’ fight as opposed to the staged variety. Colton Orr wouldn’t have had to capacity to decline.

Of course, we could eliminate all this nonsense with proper refereeing, but the NHL can’t seem to understand the damage it’s doing to its own product by maintaining conditions which allow players like Messrs. Orr and Parros to continue playing a role.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

You’d wonder if the players themselves ever suddenly feel embarrassed when trying to explain the code. Like to their fiancée’s parents, if they’re not hockey fans.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

How do you explain the growth of the game over the past several years if fighting is doing harm to the product ? I ask this because it seems contradictory to me to say the game is suffering damage to itself due to fighting if there is all the huge growth most think there is. Also don’t you feel there are a good number of people that enjoy a fight in hockey ? Is it just me that senses the buildup of expectations when certain teams play each other. Now I agree with staged fights being silly actually. The Orr/Parros Saturday was a good example but honestly some fights are probably good for the game. All reports I have heard say the Montreal fans almost blew the roof off with that Orr/Parros fight even though it wasn’t much of a fight more of a dance actually. Could it be that fighting is actually growing the sport ? Just wondering.

34. Bill says:

Don’t know how the Stars are as close to a playoff spot as they are with that roster. They are terrible looking. After Benn and Seguin, there’s no one on the team you would even trade DD for.

But at this point, I’d definitely take their first round pick for DD, because it’ll be a high one if Seguin is concussed for long! Dd and our first for their first. How about that?

Unless the Habs are interested in Alex Chiasson?

35. Un Canadien errant says:

I’m hearing lots of buzz that the Stars are desperate to add David Desharnais and Francis Bouillon. Since we have them over a barrel, let’s not just settle for Jamie Oleksiak, the kid is an unproven AHL’er, we should get more for our proven veterans, one with a very attractive expiring contract, and the other with a very attractive 4 year deal that provides cost-certainty. Let them ante up some draft picks and then maybe we’ll listen.

———————————————————————–

I really hope they light up Brodeur tonight.

37. secretdragonfly says:

Good on the boys for winning the Movember challenge (but I have to confess I won’t miss most of the entries).

38. HabsFansince49 says:

Switch Bournival and Bourque.

39. Rad says:

Bournival between Prust and Travis Moen is a damm good 4th line in this league, as long as a heavyweight like Parros is not required. It wasn’t that long ago when Moen was playing top 6 in Montreal, where he was obviously out of his element. He is a very good 4th liner, and that’s where he has to play to be effective. Habs on a roll right now, playing as a team, with everyone healthy and contributing.

40. The Jackal says:

Can’t wait for PK, Pacioretty, and Eller to each score and get multi point games tonight.
    And hell, why not the rest of the week?
    Yeah!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

41. Ozmodiar says:

Just read a rumor on the internet that Dallas might be interested in DD and Frankie B.

Do it MB!!!

42. Beardbaron says:

Good to see Bournival back in the lineup, the kid has been dynamite this season. In a merit based system I see him taking some of Galchenyuk’s ice time.

Murray – Diaz has been a great defensive pairing in limited situations. Bouillon is -11 and routinely gets beaten cleanly on the boards. MT shouldn’t change a formation that has been stellar on D of late. Dress Murray, Bouillon is the odd man out.

43. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Sorry but the Devils…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Waiting for Thursday and the hit parade from PK, Emelin and Murray on the Bruins.

Under the bad news dept., Dallas Stars have lost Defenceman Stephane Robidas for the year with a broken leg, and now Tyler Seguin is missing games with Concussion Symptoms.

(Not trying to start up a trade rumour, but wonder if Gainey may need DD/Frankie B. to shore things up!)

45. Luke says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Bournival take a spin or two with Galchenyuk and Eller.

I like White, and he’s solid enough, but he really has to find a shred of offense or else he’s going to have a hard time getting back in the line-up and will be plying his trade on another team sooner rather than later.

His role is or should be comperable to that of Moen or Prust but both of those guys can chip in goals on occassion and play the defensive side of the puck just as well as or better than White does.

46. slyCH says:

Is HABFAB around? Would appreciate updates on the young guns like Hudon, Bozon, McC Vail and, specifically, Crisp which I’ve read in my brief visits to the site lately has scored a few goals. Hard to stay informed when working long hours. Thx.

Really like the lineup for tonight. Am even more impressed that MT has once again done something many of us didn’t expect. He has essentially turned the 6th dman position into Murray’s and draws in Frankie B. for the back to back games (roughly).

• 24 Cups says:

You beat me to it, Gerald.

Not many teams are ever injury free but right now the Habs can afford to pick and choose.

Bouillon backs up Murray. Or vice versus. As well, the three kids in Hamilton get to play a ton instead of just being a spare part in Montreal.

Up front, Parros fills the goon role while White can play center or wing on the 4th line. Bournival can play wing on any line while also being able to fill in at center on the 4th (not sure what he is like in the face-off circle). Having the extra body in the press box also acts as a form of motivation just in case someone gets complacent.

Lastly, the back-up goalie can be counted on to do more than just play .500 hockey when he lets the regular guy take a break.

All of these factors take on more meaning when the team plays back-to-back games. Me like.

48. Walmyr says:

well…this team is really good when they are all health!…
    our “4th line” is Moen-Prust-Bournival?!…
    CHeers

This is a very effective 4th line, wasn’t too long ago and we had Yannick Weber/Petterie Nokelainen/Mike Blunden as our 4th.

• AH says:

LOL! yuck, don’t remind me.

• Stevie.Ray says:

Noke was the invisible man. Never did anything good, never did anything bad.

And before him we had Andreas Engqvist, granted briefly, but those were some scary times.

Just looked up Engqvist in the hockeydb and he is putting up some decent numbers in the KHL though.

• Walmyr says:

that’s why we have to be very happy with this lineup…

of course more injuries will come…but we have to enjoy this moment…

tonight I will drink a good whisky and celebrate our healthy…whatever the result I know we have a very good team to cheer for…

We will not win every game…or be the best team every night…but this team can put a lot of numbers in the standings…

• Say Ash says:

Engqvist was a JM favourite because he never did anything.

49. Walmyr says: