Bouillon will be healthy scratch for Habs against Red Wings

The Canadiens held an optional skate Friday morning in Detroit as they prepared to face the Red Wings Friday night (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Defenceman Alexei Emelin, who was a healthy scratch for Wednesday’s game in Pittsburgh, will return to the lineup and coach Michel Therrien announced after the morning skate that Francis Bouillon will be a healthy scratch against the Red Wings.

“It’s not because we’re not satisfied with Frankie,” Therrien told reporters in Detroit. “We’ve got eight defensemen and Frankie has given us some good hockey; he’s a veteran and a warrior. But we wanted to give Emelin a chance to get back in the lineup to give him a fair chance to show what he’s capable of doing tonight.”

Carey Price will start in goal for the Canadiens. This marks the Canadiens’ first game in Detroit since Dec. 10, 2010.

The Canadiens will return home immediately after Friday’s game and will face the Washington Capitals Saturday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

(Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

Canadiens vs. Red Wings preview, NHL.com

Game Day report, Canadiens.com

Game notes, detroitredwings.com

Morning skate interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Game Day blog, detroitredwings.com

Bertuzzi out, Alfredsson in for Red Wings, Detroit Free Press

What’s wrong with Alexei Emelin? Stu on Sports blog

Former Red Wing Gallant returns to Detroit, detroitredwings.com

Capitals’ Ovechkin won’t play Friday against Devils, NHL.com

1. keithmacv says:

Eller, Tinordi and a 1st for Yakopov??? Were you dropped on your head as a child?

2. rljmartin says:

Question far below about why HABS with 8 Olympians (9 if you want to count Eller) are not a better hockey team or simply not playing better hockey. Here is a Don Cherryesk response for the commentariat:
    “Only 3 are North American”.

3. SmartDog says:

If you were Marc Bergevin, would you:
    A. Trade one of your “extra” mobile/offensive D (Diaz, Pateryn) for a hard hitting stay-at-home D of similar calibre.
    B. Look for a team that has a lot of F depth and prospects and try to land one of their better F prospects for a combination of players and picks?
    C. Consider trading even one/some of our BEST prospects (Collberg, Beaulieu, McCarron, Hudon) to help our size and 5-on-5 play?
    D. Nothing. Do nothing. Sit on your hands.

Which would you do?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Steeltown Hab says:

I would trade Gorges as the centerpiece of an aggressive package to get an impact player.

Gorges + something for Yakupov

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• knob says:

I don’t move any prospects. period.
      I move Gionta for a top nine prospect or 2nd rounder;
      I move Markov for a 1st rounder and a big bodied top six guy (this trade may be unrealistic though).

• JUST ME says:

Would not touch any prospect cause they are the future and more promissing than a lot of what we have now.
      It`s time for a big clean up in the veteran`s department. Would try to trade the usual suspects and maybe more before trading deadline and go get as many quality free agents as possible.
      Would be ready to make bold moves and sacrifices if i am to expect to get quality players in exchange.
      Because i do not think that the other g.ms are that dumb i would try to offer 2 for 1 s or deal like that…
      Would not expect any miracles for this season but do not think he expected any either this season…

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Go get a RH tough D-man using Markov or Gorges. That would leave the left side to Emelin, Markov or Gorges and a prospect (Beaulieu or Tinordi). Enough already with the RH experiments…it is NOT working.

• Forum Dog says:

For me it would be a combination of A & B:

Not sure Pateryn’s offense translates to the NHL level, but I do see him as a good bottom pairing RH for next year and wouldn’t be anxious to trade him now. Diaz, yes. He is one guy that is replaceable from within. Not sure what they’d get for him though. He’s not even playing for a mediocre team like the Habs. Which means that to move him you’d have to offer something from;

B. I’d consider trading any one of Collberg, Hudon, Dietz or Thrower. I wouldn’t want to lose multiple of them, but if you could include one of them and a pick in a trade that included some excess baggage for either a top-six forward with skill and an edge, or a top-4 d-man who is tough and RH, I’d do it.

• SmartDog says:

Nice to see some decent ideas.
      I’ve decided that Bergevin’s steady line of “everyone is looking for the same guys” is BULLCRAP. Every team has different strengths. Complimentary trades are made all the time. It’s how you build.
      Bergevin has his head in the sand. He probably still thinks Briere is a good pick-up and everything is going to be okay.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• boing007 says:

Collberg, Hudon, McCarron can go. Beaulieu should stay. De La Rose looked better than Collberg. Hudon did not impress much.

Richard R

• habstrinifan says:

B… and then go with the D ‘in the system’ using real meritocracy. So everyone (Pateyrn/Tinordi/ etc etc ..and Diaz/etc etc gets chance to become top 6.)

OR

I’ll just have another meeting with P.K.

• Habfan17 says:

Not Pateryn, he is a hard hitting defenceman. Not know for his offence, that is a bonus this season.

Habfan17

4. Montreal Ace alluded to one reason our team is playing so poorly. It’s like we lost our touch game in golf. We’re being told to revamp our D, finish our checks and 35 other things. No wonder we’re all skating around holding our sticks as tight as when chocking the chicken. They have to be in an easy, confident state of mind and with MT behind the bench, that ain’t gonna happen.

No soul, no confidence, no wins.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• knob says:

Last season was really disappointing. Jays need to move Lawry to 2nd, Edwin to 3rd, Cabrera to DH and bring Gose in for LF. Then add two starters to the rotation. Dickey is going to struggle with his knuckle ball at the Rogers Centre.

5. habitunts1 says:

RDS reports Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin has informed the other 29 NHL teams winger Rene Bourque is available. – See more at: http://hockeytracker.net/wordpress/2014/01/nhl-rumors-230114/#sthash.y3Nxoz89.dpuf
    I wonder what magic MB can pull off if he is able to Trade Bourque away. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Cammy back wearing the CH with a swap with Calgary. But his size and prone to being injured dosnt fly with me to well. I think we need a Solid hitting, puck moving, Dman
    #10

• shiram says:

Calgary will try to get picks, prospects or young players for Cammy.
      Not an old, un-motivated, unproductive player like Bourque.

• CJ says:

Agreed. They are not going to move Cammy for Bourque, unless Montreal is throwing in additional assets, namely picks and prospects.

If we move Bourque, the return will be a project player with a cap hit, who is likely having a bad year. Example might be Drew Stafford, but even that would be a stretch.

• Habitoban says:

Which would not surprise any of the 29 managers. But if the news lights a fire under Rene…..

• Steeltown Hab says:

No point in trading bourque unless we get something useful back.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Sportfan says:

See although his season hasn’t been the greatest he’s still big, the issue is we might not get the greatest return so people need to realize this. Maybe there is a team out there that wants to get rid of someone who in general is decent, but isn’t doing well on that team, maybe we’ll get lucky.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• B says:

Both teams are willing to part with the centerpieces of that trade, Cammalleri and Bourque. Other than the centerpieces, Calgary would retain Ramo and Culkin while Montreal would retain Holland and Fucale.

–Go Habs Go!–

• PeterD says:

I’d be happy if MB could get a 3rd round pick for Bourque…the real value we got for Cammi was their 2nd rounder that became Fucale.
      never underestimate the addition by subtraction…just get rid of the floater and move on quickly.

6. The_Truth says:

Pierre Lebrun reported that MB has notified the other 29 NHL teams that Bourque is available.

Now only if PG had done that with Cammy, we wouldn’t have been in this mess.

7. Forum Dog says:

Watching PK’s response to the media when they ask about his chat with Bergevin – the guy is a pro. Love his approach to both the game and the media. Hopefully Bergevin can go out there and find some pieces to compliment what they have without having to give up a huge piece of the future. I don’t like Therrien as a coach, but until they fall out of playoff contention, his job is safe.

There was talk earlier about Byfuglien, and I have to say that is the probably the first trade target that I think would be a good fit. Would probably mean the end of some veteran D-man’s days in Montreal (i.e. Markov, Gorges, Emelin), but he could bring a few of the things the Habs are missing at their table….

• bwoar says:

Byfuglien on D is about as reliable as Doge Murray, so, keep that in mind. Good PP shooter though.

“thoroughbred”

• Forum Dog says:

Yeah, true that he is not defensively sound. But he is big, strong, not afraid to push back, is a RH shot. Plus, on the PP (assuming they have some combination of Markov, PK, Beaulieu on the points), Buff could slide into a forward spot and run some interference down low.

Might not make sense, but his contract is at around $5M for two more years, which isn’t bad. Conditioning issues are a bit of a concern. Meh, almost talked myself out of the idea…..

8. Plekasuares says:

Completely off topic but why do I have to see a Mugshot of Bieber when there are issues with my homeland in Ukraine. Issues to say the least. More reasons Cbc sucks

9. Dunboyne Mike says:

@Punkster
    Skimmed through the Murray arguments below. I like having him… as I continuously avert my gaze from his stats!

Suppose we were a team that once every three or four games went into the 3rd period 4-5 goals up, tempting the other team to switch from trying to catch to trying to send a message.

Would that be a scenario in which you’d be happy to have Murray?

• punkster says:

No, I don’t like the idea of dressing a 3 minute player who can’t skate just because he can fight. Waste of a roster spot. We now have two of those and they bring nothing.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
      but…
      ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

10. BigB says:

Next poll question:

“Of the entire Montreal Canadiens roster, who should be healthy scratches?”
    – Bourque
    – Briere
    – Diaz
    – Etc

Never mind, this way half the team would be on that list :(

Habs forever…and desperately waiting for #25

11. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Does anyone know the scoop on Kevin Klein? Seems like the type of d-man that Habs could have used: RH, defensive minded with some physicality. I know he’s not offensive but the Habs have PK, Markov and Beaulieu. I just can’t see the Habs going far in the playoffs with D and lack of offense…hopefully I will be wrong. At least try Subban with Emelin. They are two horses capable of playing 25 min/game.

12. Habfan17 says:

I have two questions
    1 – How can a team with 8 players headed to the Olympics, be so inconsistent and quite frankly, bad?

Many people on here say that Pleks is underated and a player we can’t afford to trade. I have heard the nonsense that he does not put up points because he never gets good wingers and he checks the top lines.
    2 – How then do other players who consistently face other teams top checkers, Like Marleau, or those who check top players, Logan Couture, put up more points?

Habfan17

• Say Ash says:

The turtleneck is too restrictive.

• shiram says:

1. Diaz goes to the Olympics, and I would say is a very average D, so just having players over at the Olympics is not a gauge of quality. 2 are goalies also…

2.With better linemates? In a better system?
      With better support from the d?

• John Q Public says:

They may actually czech other players.

• Habitoban says:

1. Because it has 8 players who are distracted by being chosen to go to the Olympics.

• knob says:

Diaz – really isn’t that great, but the Swiss have few NHLers to pick from;
      Budja – is a back-up goalie;
      Emelin – surprised me to be honest
      Price, Subban, MaxPac, Markov, and Plex – are all legit

I would say that we have 5 bone fide Olymians.
      To answer question 1: I think that the priorities of this management group are all wrong. Montreal has talent but they are being held back by stop-gap players like Desharnais, Gorges, Bouillon, Gionta
      Plekanec – the best winger that he has had, for some time is Gionta…Gionta isn’t going to put up much offence anymore.

• Habfan17 says:

I like your answer! I think if the Danes had a team, Eller would be going to. I do agree with your observations regarding the Olympic bound players. Still with 5 bona fide players, you would think they would be better!

I definitely agree with your observations regarding the stop gap players. I would throw in some questionable coaching decisions, i.e., moving Eller to left wing.

Habfan17

• Some truth to that for sure. Re: the Olympians though, that doesn’t make much difference. Huet would have been an Olympian if France made the cut. Ditto Craig Adams for Brunei. Says more about the Habs’ international diversity than star talen.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• JUST ME says:

Not sure that being chosen on the olympic roster is about being mister right as much as being mister right now.
      It`s more about the individual value of the guy as it is his team commitment qualities. Diaz , Emelin, Budaj, i am very happy for them but they have much more value for their country than they have in the habs perspective , not that they have none but…

So yes the habs have 8 guys going to the olympics but it sounds more stellar in ttheory. Let` s say i was to tell you that starting tomorrow 8 guys from their olympic team were joining the Habs and was to name them, knowing what you know about them would you see that as impressive as you do now ?

• The_Truth says:

1-Habs have played good and bad hockey over the year, which pretty much all teams do. They look very bad now, yes, but looking at the whole picture I can’t really expect more than where they are right now. Emotinally, I am disappointed they are not better and am pissed off about it, but intellectually, I look at the roster and then a roster like Boston, Pitt, St. Lou, Anaheim, Chicago, San Jose etc. and understand why it is the way it is. It sucks that this team is mediocre, but we can’t expect water from a rock.

2- Pleks is an underrated player and is a great 2-way guy. He would put up more points if he had some better players to play with, but in saying that he isn’t a #1, PPG guy either. We have to understand he is a great #2 and accept it. DD is an average #2 at best and Eller a #3. When that is the case and we have exactly one top winger on the team, well, that is why the team isn’t so good sometimes. Never mind our top 6 Dmen.

• silversnake says:

His comparable is Patrice Bergeron and he’s pretty much the same except in the +/- and faceoff % department and he’s 1.5 million cheaper. You don’t trade Plekanec, it makes no sense. He’s not the problem and if you trade him you create another problem.

13. montreal ace says:

From what I am reading Subban, who is one amongst many on the team
    not playing well, are being hindered by their coach. It has nothing to do with what is happening on the ice, things such as the opposition, talent or their work ethic. Its all about the people not on the ice, lol, and thats all BS to me. I guess this team really needs a coach that will let them just be, so they are able to believe, feel, and love the talent they have, then they will be able to create and play inspired hockey for a fan like me.

• Habfan17 says:

I don’t believe it is BS, with 8 players going to the Olympics, this team should be doing much better and they should be more consistent! Coaching has a lot to do with it!

Habfan17

• montreal ace says:

Well our 8 Olympians, would do well against the figure skaters right now, even then, our guys might be a bit to artsy to get down and dirty for grind out win.

• PeterD says:

I agree…its not BS…whats wrong with this team is COACHING.
        I watched the last episode of 24CH the other day and in every clip of Therrien in the room with the guys, the players all look disinterested, bored and just tuning him out…seems every sentence has an f-bomb in it…seems clear to me the players are just tuning him out.
        No great surprise that the players have given up on him the wayway he jerks around the veterans and constantly mixes and changes lines.
        Good case in point that its the coach…look at the difference the coaching change in Winnipeg has made with exactly the same players as before the new coach came in.
        Therrien can yell, swear and mix players all he wants but if yhe players don’t respect him, then hes lost them and he is done.
        Therriens got to go and soon of this team wants to make the playoffs rather than fight to slip in on a wild card spot.

• B says:

Detroit’s has 10 players going to the Olympics and Babcock as coach. They must be doing much better than Montreal.

–Go Habs Go!–

14. Mattyleg says:

Hey all, I know that a few of you are heading to Mtl tonight, so I’ll be watching the game in Hurley’s tonight with my buddy Sam “The Raffle Man” if you want to join!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. CJ says:

A quick question for those more informed then myself;

Last year, despite losing to Ottawa in the first round, we drafted somewhere around 25th overall, while Ottawa selected in the 16-17 range. It’s bothered me for sometime as to why the draft order is not impacted by the results from the preliminary round of the playoffs. That said, I recognize that our selection was the result of a strong regular season.

My question is this… Has this process been adjusted this season, now that the playoff format has changed?

• GrimJim says:

To the best of my knowledge, the draft order criteria are the same as last year.

• knob says:

they must have made a trade to acquire that draft pick. I believe that the teams that don’t make the playoffs pick first, then the teams eliminated in the first round pick next, and so on

• CJ says:

No, there was no trade. I don’t agree with the order either. It’s something that’s bothered me since last year.

• knob says:

I think, again not sure, that if you draft a player in the first round and the said player doesn’t sign and ends up playing in the KHL for example, then the team that drafted him will get a compensatory pick in the first round…

• CJ says:

That was the case with David Fisher. He got a compensatory pick, but it wasn’t in the first round. Our compensation was a pick in the second round.

• knob says:

then your guess is as good as mine lol. We are talking about the team that was allowed to run our goalie and kick pucks into the back of our net in last years playoffs though so who really knows anymore….

• Trollhunter says:

The only possible changes mentioned concerning the draft is the lottery system. Every team that doesn`t make the playoffs can win the number 1 pick. And the odds might change too. But nothing is certain.

S G

• Maritime Ronn says:

Division winners impacted choice

• Habfan17 says:

From what I understand, if the Habs were to finish 8th and then go on to win the cup, they would draft at the 30th spot. So, for the teams that get into the playoffs, they could drop in the draft based on how far they go and their record compared to the other teams that get in and are eliminated.

Habfan17

16. John Q Public says:

Here’s why MT has regressed with his coaching.
    While sitting at his desk, pissed off from the previous day’s game, kicking and screaming a secret compartment was found.
    In it lay all these note pads.
    JM’s secret backup stash.

With titles like:
    How to screw up rookies
    Juggling 101
    Veterans are the answer
    You think your bigger than the team
    No power play for you
    Reverse Psychology
    Your not allowed to ask why
    I signed a contract just like you did
    How to talk without saying anything

• krob1000 says:

You forgot the other novels on his bookshelf
      “How to lose a team in 10 game days”
      “How the Grinch Stole Offense”
      “Top Gun-the making of and how to dismantle”
      “The Hunt for a way of forgetting a red hot October”
      ” How to make friends and influence people…short term solutions only”
      “Star Wreck”
      “Rudy”…only there was a weird collage on the inside cover featuring photos of Gionta, Cammalerri, Gallagher, Briere, PLeks, Gallagher, David Desharnais, Valeri Bure and Oleg Petrov,etc
      “Rocky-The how to stop motion in your end picture book”
      “Toying Story”
      “Star Wars-Pk SUbban-The Phantom Menace”
      “transformers-from players to robots”
      “transformers 2-shit..can’t turn these robots back into hockey players”

17. Maritime Ronn says:

Habilis says:
    P.K. Subban and Douglas Murray.

Together, for regular shifts. In a real hockey game. A game we might want to win against a divisional opponent.

I don’t even understand how anyone can defend MT anymore.
    ————————

No defense of MT – just reality.
    Repeated:

Subban plays about 20 minutes of Even Strength time per game.
    Murray plays about 11 minutes of even strength time + PK time.

Some combo of Gorges/Markov/Beaulieu will probably play the other 9 minutes with Subban in even strength situations.
    Most likely we’ll see Subban-Murray for about 3-4 shifts per period.

Murray will NOT play 20 minutes.
    Murray has averaged 13:17 this year.
    His biggest minutes games this year are 16:16 and 16:11.

Why is this so hard to understand?

• Mattyleg says:

Agh!

Reality again!
      It’s my bane, I tell you!
      There’s nothing that gets more in the way of anybody enjoying themselves than galdurn reality…

…hate that guy.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• punkster says:

Nothing to do with forecasting TOI…the hard part to understand is just why Murray is even dressed.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
      but…
      ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• Mattyleg says:

Punky, he’s A Big Presence.
        Our only one.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• punkster says:

Ya, nothing like Big Presents to give your special day a boost I always say.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
          but…
          ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• The_Truth says:

He isn’t that bad in his role. So according to everyone, let’s bench Murray, Boullion, Diaz, Briere, Bourque and, bring up Leblanc, Dumont, Pateryn, Tinordi and Beaulieu.

Trade Pleks and DD and have Chucky, Eller and Bournival as our 3 centers. On top of that, then fire MT and bring in who knows and things will be rosy. Not like it would be an AHL squad or anything.

MB hasn’t set the world on fire, but I am sure glad some of the posters here are not in his shoes.

• Eddie says:

He’s dressed because he was signed.

Now, why was he signed?

• punkster says:

You can also say why were Briere, Cube and DD (for long term) signed?

But signed they were and for whatever reason MT continues to dress them when all (or most) of the fans continue to scratch their heads.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
          but…
          ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• Habilis says:

You sure about that?

And in any case, how is it better to have P.K. playing with half the team throughout the game?

We had a whole bunch of success early in the season with our two best D-men as a pair. This is the formula that most successful teams follow.

But far be it for me to question a tactical genius like MT.

18. Bob_Sacamano says:

The poll is great. Diaz getting 31% of the votes and Murray just 12% says a lot about this place.

• punkster says:

The madness of groupthink.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
      but…
      ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• jols101 says:

The hate for Murray runs rampant over on EOTP. The advanced stats geeks hate the guy as much as you do, maybe you would feel more comfortable over there.

• Mr. Biter says:

What is EOTP?

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• punkster says:

There are so many reasons to support or defend just why Murray was brought in, just why he continues to be dressed and just how much he has contributed to this team.

Please provide those reasons.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
        but…
        ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• jols101 says:

Just wasn’t aware if you guys knew of a place where you can really get your hate on for Murray and be surrounded by like-minded thinkers. This site, by the poll results anyways, clearly doesn’t offer that to you guys. I was just trying to be helpful.

• punkster says:

So which of the three questions does this answer…why he was brought in, why he is dressed or what he has contributed?

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
            but…
            ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• jols101 says:

Sorry Punkster, was just about to get to my answer but Mr. Biter beat me to it. He covered just about everything below.

Obviously, I would love it if he was much more mobile but if he was he would be playing somewhere else for 4-5 million a year instead of bringing the only physical presence we have on the back end for 1.5 million.

• punkster says:

See the issue here? We signed a guy who nobody else wanted, who can’t skate, who contributes nothing but MOAR BIGGER and pair him with a revolving door of partners, none of whom can cover for his egregious mistakes.

So tonight the brain trust is going to pair him, for an undetermined TOI, with our top D who will invariably have to cover his butt.

Write the script for this one if you will.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
            but…
            ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• DipsyDoodler says:

You just wrote the script p-man. All that’s left is to shoot it. I think it’s gonna be one of those youtube only movies.

• Mr. Biter says:

Was not going to reply as I have to leave the hotel to go to work a show, but he hits like a rock, he does not turtle when challenged to fight, will fight, clears the front of the net better than any other Hab d-man and very rarely after he clears the net the scrums or face washing happen or CP gets knocked over. Granted his speed is not his greatest asset but quite sure MB took that into mind when offering him a contract.
          Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• dr. gesundheit says:

Nice summary, Mr. Chomps…gotta say, I agree, and for what he costs, he should not be considered as part of the problem (if looking for a solution).

19. punkster says:

This is a good team being poorly coached.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

20. Habilis says:

P.K. Subban and Douglas Murray.

I don’t even understand how anyone can defend MT anymore. The man has no answers, just darts and a board.

• The_Truth says:

Look at the roster. What answers do you think are there? Murray has actually played quite well the past few weeks. Better than Emelin and Markov, that’s for sure. Actually he has been playing better hockey than Subban as well, in their respective roles.

We don’t even know what the final pairings will be and how long they will play together. Maybe we should wait for the game before beginning to complain.

• Habilis says:

Markov may have had a bad game or two, but to say that Murray is playing better than Markov is pretty bananas.

One is a top 2 or 3 D-man on any NHL team, the other is Douglas Murray.

• The_Truth says:

Murray IS playing better the last few weeks. Markov has been pretty bad and Murray has not hurt the team. Notice I added in their respective roles.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Maybe you should pay a little bit attention when it comes to the employment of players.

• Mr. Biter says:

I also like the way Murray is playing. Knows his role and limitations and plays within them. And he has size and not afraid to use it.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Habilis says:

Yeah but it’s relative to their skill sets to begin with. Murray playing out of his mind is not as good as half of Markov.

I get what you’re saying about Murray playing better, and to a point, I agree. But he’s playing better with bottom pairing minutes against weaker opposition. With P.K., he’ll be playing big minutes against top lines. It’s gonna be a disaster.

This is why most NHL coaches don’t move their 6th or 7th best D to the top pairing after a couple of half decent games.

• dr. gesundheit says:

Considering the cost comparison, as as stated above…”he does what is expected of him” unlike a number of others of late bac on D… (and I probably paraphrase)…what’s the problem?

• shiram says:

In Therrien’s defence his pairings and trio usually don’t stay together for a whole period, unless it’s the DD line.

• johnnylarue says:

No darts. No board. Algorithms, Habilis. Algorithms.

• Habilis says:

Oooooh! It’s a math thing? I had no idea.

MT must have one of those “beautiful minds” that nobody else can understand.

Thanks for clearing that up. ;)

• adadi says:

Some people will always be losers. Unfortunately we have a few here this afternoon. If MT is here at the end of the season, MB should go as well. Geoff are you getting any of this?!

• mrhabby says:

MT has a percentage of .656…really hard to get rid of the coach with that record. Let the revolving door start again.

• Psycho29 says:

Geoff is always on here. He goes by the name CoorsAmericaSaltPeter

• The_Truth says:

If you think MT is the problem, then you are not looking at the roster clearly and are not seeing their play.

Carbo, Gainey, JM, Cunny all had a similar roster and even worse results. MT has this team playing at or even above what the talent level and roster make-up is capable of. Can’t see any other coach having this team with a much better record the last 100 games.

Am I saying MT is doing an awesome job? No, not at all. But to say he gets fired and things will go much better is simplifying the problem and not clearly seeing what is going on with this team.

• adadi says:

This team will not make the playoffs because of this coach. I’ve been saying since November that this team does not have the horses. What irks me with MT is that he has taken a mediocre team and turned it into a poor team. Along the way he has managed to screw up Larry and has taken away some of PK’s confidence. I also can’t believe anyone who MT is brought up from Hamilton is the better for it. MT’s magnifcent record is all on Price

• The_Truth says:

We will see if they make the playoff or not, right now they are in.

If you are saying that the team doesn’t have the horses, then why are you putting all the blame on MT? The team is where they should be with the horses they have.

He didn’t screw up anything with Larry. He has given him big minutes and given him a major role the last few seasons. What did he do, take Gally off the line? C’mon, that’s a cop out. Larry just isn’t playing well and it’s nothing new his inconsistency. It’s been there since he first came to the club.

He hasn’t taken anything away from PK either. He plays him like a #1 dman over 25mins a night.His defensive game improved a lot and he won a Norris under MT. But that had nothing to do with him, right? Now that PK is struggling a little, now that is MT’s fault.

• Mattyleg says:

….and he’s been saying that since November.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mattyleg says:

“Some people will always be losers.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• boing007 says:

Ouija board.

Richard R

21. smiley says:

A little story for you. 1973. I’m 13. Mom and Dad(may you both rest in peace) and my aunt and uncle go to Wings/Habs game at the Olympia. Go to the bar Lindell AC afterwards. The Habs show up led by Peter Mahovlich in a big fur coat. Henri Richard tells my aunt that she looks just like his mother. Yvon Lambert sings a song(hey did you happen to see the most beautiful girl in the world…). My mom gets all their autographs on a Bank of Montreal deposit slip. The party lasts until closing time. I keep that bank slip for years until it disintegrates.
    Side story-Jim Rutherford and Jack Lynch were traded the day before from Pittsburgh to Detroit. The 2 of them are also at the bar.
    Mom chats up Jack Lynch who needs a place to love. Comes over to dinner the next day and rents the upstairs apartment from another aunt. Thought of this with the Habs back playing in Detroit.
    Man those were the days:)

22. munch17 says:

Here ‘s the sad truth.
    Our ” number one line” – where they rank among scoring leaders and what they have done in the last 25 games:

MP # 101 – 14 goals
    DD – # 171 – 6 goals
    BG – # 181 – 3 goals

This is with the first PP – Markov and Subban.
    Is it time for a change?
    Is Gally thriving?

• The_Truth says:

I would love to have a guy like Cole to play on that line and move Gally to another line, but unfortunately there are not many options available. Wingers are Gio, Bourque, Bournival, Briere, Prust, Moen and Eller (for now).

Worst set of wingers I have ever seen. It’s a wonder the Habs are are where they are. Right now, that line and Pleks is all we have.

Peolpe can complain abiut MT all they want, but with wingers like that, what is he supposed to do?

23. adadi says:

If MT is here in the summer it will be very hard to get players to Montreal.

24. Le Jadester says:

Why is Eller on the wing ???
    just can’t understand that ?
    What’s wrong with 48-14-21 ????
    I thought that line does well together
    Or
    8-81-49 ?? (Or you could have 32 in there as well I guess ?)

MT’s starting to lose me ?

Habs, OLE !

25. Propwash says:

It would be nice if Galchenyuk was healthy. I miss watching his brilliant ways.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

26. adamkennelly says:

Habs will lose this game and lose again tomorrow night.

nothing has changed – too many crap players and a team which appears to be done with their coach.

• mrhabby says:

like ur optimism.

• Mattyleg says:

The Oracle has spoken!
      *gong sound*

…and if they win either of the games, you’ll say “I’m happy to have been proven wrong” and not “I’m an unnecessarily negative person whose attempts to protect himself from disappointment causes me to appear like an elephant p!ssing all over a garden party.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• adamkennelly says:

I’m not pessimistic – I am realistic.

team last year was bad and massively benefitted from the shortened season – got curb stomped in the playoffs and only minor changes took place heading into this year.

team is still bad. had a great streak where they won a bunch of games in which they were badly outplayed – and Price saved their asses otherwise we’d be on the outside looking in.

and I don’t want to hear about the freakin Chicago game ok – lightning in a bottle.

I could be wrong – there was this one time where I thought I was wrong but it turned out I was mistaken, I was actually right– weird.

27. mrhabby says:

As if Marleau and Thornton were not going to be resigned by the Sharks..good job by Doug Wilson.

28. habitual says:

I know this is Mike Boone’s point from the last podcast, but I too struggle with the logic of:
    1) Not bringing ‘Dog defensemen like Tinordi up and let them gain experience, as opposed to the rotating door of stratched, old defensemen currently on their last legs still getting ice time.
    2) Bringing up forwards and not using them.

• jacquesthemonkey says:

If you honestly believe that this is a team with a shot at the playoffs, you play veterans and don’t take a risk on the kids. However, I do not share that optimism.

• Steeltown Hab says:

I think the kids give us a better shot at the playoffs actually. Beaulieu > Bouillon

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Maritime Ronn says:

Part of that may be Roster issues
      23 max is allowed including goalies plus IR replacements.

When Drewiske comes back after the Olympic break, and if all the other Habs Dmen are healthy, they will have 8 Dmen with 1 way NHL contracts – and Beaulieu is not part of those 8.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Bergevin suffocated the roster with useless “depth” players. Why a team needs Murray Bouillon and Drewiski when we have those 3 in the minors I’ll never know.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Maritime Ronn says:

That was the summer signings before Camp started for the present season.

The Habs lucked out in not having multiple injuries to their Dmen such as the Pens, that for several games were playing without their Top 4.

Whether one agrees or not with Bergevin’s beliefs – that being he rather be late than early in calling up youngsters (yes, it is debatable) those depth signings were not wrong at that time.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Miss the playoffs one year and the coach is fired.

Miss them consecutive year and the GM is fired.

This likely explains their mindset, if not their decision making.

29. Maritime Ronn says:

Sounds like a lot of folks are concerned about the Subban-Murray pairing.

Not to worry. It’s not as bad as it looks at first glance.

Subban plays about 20 minutes of Even Strength time per game.
    Murray plays about 11 minutes of even strength time + PK time.

Most likely we’ll see Subban-Murray for about 3-4 shifts per period.

Murray will NOT play 20 minutes.
    Murray has averaged 13:17 this year.
    His biggest minutes games this year are 16:16 and 16:11.

Perhaps PK said it best in a La Presse article today:

“….Subban. De la façon dont vont les choses, on ne sait même pas si les duos constitués en début de rencontre seront les mêmes à la fin du match!”

“The way things are going, we don’t even know if the pairings put together at the beginning of the game, will be the same at the end of the game!”

30. Scout says:

I predict a 4-1 loss. I also predict that Diaz gets beat up with his own elbow pad by Alfie the Clown.

• Hobie Hansen says:

LOL. Diaz is afraid of his own shadow, no disputing that! I think the Habs win tonight though! They better!

• bwoar says:

3-2 Habs. Beaulieu scores. He’s got the vowels, he just needs the opportunity.

“thoroughbred”

• krob1000 says:

Beaulieu’s knock has been his behaviour ….he needs to be a consonant professional both on and off the ice.

• Kooch7800 says:

I haven’t heard anything after the incident in the summer. If there were more I am sure the media would be all over it.

One incident doesn’t define a person either as long as you learn from it

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• krob1000 says:

was a bad joke..he mentioned vowels so I said he had to be a “consonant professional”..you know it sucks when you have to explain your joke…my apologies!

• Kooch7800 says:

That is on me man….sorry. Read it quickly and didn’t can’t the consonant part.

My bad

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• bwoar says:

NICE. My kinda humour.

“thoroughbred”

• CJ says:

My greatest concern is once again the fact that this is a nationally televised game on TSN. If the team is going to make a statement, tonight is the night. I just hope it’s a positive statement, and not those of the most recent variety.

31. bwoar says:

Frontenac’s point about making players their Olympic teams also looms large in my head today. I don’t think we’d be the only team with a few guys who tried extra hard leading up to the announcements, only to take their foot off the gas in the last couple weeks.

“thoroughbred”

Thinking the same here as well bwoar. As soon as he posted that it got me to wondering. I just wonder if there is also a tie in to MT not knowing how to get this group playing for him as well though.

• Cal says:

It’s a poor system for the players that he has. This is a run and gun team. Probably have the same lousy win percentage, but way more fun to watch. Habs coaches should remember that they are an “entertainment” these days. Winning by boring people to death won’t translate into paraphernalia sales.

• bwoar says:

That’s what bothers me: Therrien has them blocking all these shots, and yet it’s a shooting gallery in the slot lately. The parade of shooters allowed to come in unmolested and fire point blank just shouldn’t happen UNLESS the team is playing a loose run-n-gun style (which is playing hockey the “wrong” way, mind you.)

If we’re a trapping, JM-style counter-attack squad, there shouldn’t be the bonanza out there for the other team’s snipers. Yet it continues. Mainly I blame the lack of good defensemen, but given that scenario, the coach could slacken the reigns somewhat and get into a few more firewagon -style tilts.

“thoroughbred”

• mrhabby says:

Coachs shelf life is based on wins and to do anything to get wins and to get as much out his/her players.

• Eddie says:

Try and make a list of players who are playing well, and are obviously happy with the coach.

Will you accept shorthand? :)

• D Mex says:

I don’t see one having anything to do with the other. You can play well and ‘ dislike ‘ the coach (Bowman era) or play like crap and love him to bits (take your pick).
          These aren’t amateur athletes – they are highly paid to do something that most would do for nothing. They should do it ” well ” regardless of how they feel about the boss. 2¢ worth.

ALWAYS Habs –
          D Mex

• Eddie says:

I agree. It’s two separate issues. But at some point if almost no one is left standing, no one is playing well and no one is happy, the coach will inevitably be fired.

• Cal says:

Exactly. Most coaches have 7 players that “like” them, 7 that are indifferent and 7 others that don’t care either way. Making millions should mean that the player has some pride and plays his best every night. Even if that best isn’t that great.

• Mr. Biter says:

If you get paid the big bucks it should not matter who the coach is, your paid by the Team and then really by the fans who support the team. Not liking the coach should never be used as an excuse. If you don’t like the coach/city play out your contract and move on or asked to be traded.
            I forget the player but the Quote was on Lombardi “He treated us all the same…….Like Dogs” but they won.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• habcertain says:

MB needs to own a lot of this, his handling of the PK’s contract, which appears to be mistake, certainly financially, he had a shot to lock him up long term and now? who knows and probably tied to the coach’s future.

the hiring of MT, an alienating individual (with a track history of such) to manage young talent that needed nurturing.

Briere FA signing, but MT shares the blame with poor ice time mangement/line mates, DD’s contract and now possibly Emelin’s, but I hope not, I think this is just a stumble.

32. habs001 says:

The winning strategy for the Habs sadly remains the same as it has been for many years…Win pk/pp regularly..tire out and frustrate the opposition team by being dominated in the D zone but but because of great goaltending,desperate plays,luck and missed opportunities the opposition has minimal, results…score a few goals on counter attack ,bad goaltending and fluke plays…The present roster will not score consistently 5 on 5 ..

33. DipsyDoodler says:

In the 20s in the Soviet Union a conductor-less symphony orchestra was founded.

This was obviously influenced by the prevailing new ethos of communism, but also by the realization of musicians that – hey we make the music, but the guy waving the baton gets all the credit.

It was called the Persimfans Orchestra – you can look it up. They were very good and I think Prokofiev wrote for them.

So how about a hockey team?

Could a hockey team work as a collective, without a coach?

Oh silly me. There was a team like that. The 1986 Montreal Canadiens.

34. CalgaryHab says:

Hard to replace cube’s wrister from the point on the 2nd D unit of the PP.

35. Hobie Hansen says:

There is no way is hell Therrien’s job is at risk at the moment. He’s got a very mediocre roster to work with and has had much better results than expected with it. It’s hard to imagine a different coach getting any better results.

I don’t think Bergevin would feel right by giving his coach Briere, Murray and Parros over the summer to improve the team and then fire him. Those were ridiculous signings to improve on last year’s downward spiral. Murray has played well lately though.

Therrien is safe until next year year for sure.

36. Dunboyne Mike says:

Forgive me a brief gloat.

BUT MY WEEKEND JUST STARTED!!!

Oh man, the corridors of education were grilling me these past 5 days and nights!

O know some of you feel me on this!

GO HABS!!!!!

The Wings are ripe for plucking, lulled into an unsafe, delusional sense of security by MT’s crafty strategy of giving up a slaughter to the Pens!

SHhhhhhhhhhhhh! Always the risk of Motor City lurkers.

37. rhino514 says:

Ovechkin probably out tomorrow, Datsyuk and Franzen not in lineup tonight. We need to play our hearts out these next two games to avoid falling back to the pack.
    We are a better team than recent play shows, but we need to reach the olympic break in a good position; a couple of tweaks during the break, we get chucky back, we can be alright.

38. bwoar says:

I highly doubt the coach is fired before MB completes some kind of trade or two. There’s been too many centres, not enough wingers, and too many left D on this team for too long. It’s a set of personnel problems sticking out like a sore thumb. Will fixing them equate to winning? No way to know. But I think the GM has work to do before he can point a finger at the coach he hired. I’d think it’s tacitly acknowledged that these (old, leftover) problems need tidying before the coach ever gets the sack.

“thoroughbred”

Given we are all (or most of us are) in the speculating business. Lots of theories on recent play of Habs. Also recently happening is MB is talking contract with Markov, PK and perhaps Diaz. Is it possible that in light of these discussions the agents/players are saying things like, don’t really like playing for this coach?

I still think MB’s conversation with PK was not about correcting PK, or admonishing him, but rather, What is going on PK, where are you at, where is the team at, specifically related to the coach.

• knob says:

I would love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation, if that is the conversation that happened.

• Bripro says:

I never speculate… ever. Don’t believe me? Ask my wife.
      She’ll agree with me, and this is not speculative.

This is another case of making a mountain out of a mole hill.
      He had a heart-to-heart with his big boss. I believe when they say that they have them all the time.

The media need to take the proverbial valium (or real ones).
      Or smoke a big fat one, and chill out!

• scarboro_habitant says:

maybe he was asking PK if he was ready to take on the C because gio is on his way out lol…..jk….?

40. Sportfan says:

It’s not big news lol the cube hasn’t been that great anyway.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

41. knob says:

I’m not privy to the information that floats around in the belle (sp?) province (I live in Ontario), so I come here to get the inside track (I know sad).

I am reading some posts and it sounds as though MT’s job is at stake…any truth about this or is it just wishful thinking?

• Cal says:

Wishful thinking. He’s here for the full 3 years.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Every professional sports coach’s job is always at stake.

At this point I think we are all speculating. However, team is in a bad spiral. Really as others have pointed out, since the winning streak the team has at best been mediocre. In fact during our win streak, the wins were clawed out, few dominating performances.

At this point, MB has to decide if he has provided MT with good enough players to have a better record than we presently do. Also, if indeed there is a bad odour in the room and is this related to failed communications between coach and players and poorly executed strategies on the coaches part.

• habs001 says:

This is what is missed by so many posters…during the winning streak the team could have lost many of those games…Win or lose this team looks the same on many nights…a few breaks here and there they win or a few bad breaks here and there they lose…as you said very few games where you can truly say the team stood out…

• jacquesthemonkey says:

In the post-Bowman era, Habs coaches average roughly 2 to 2.5 years. So MT is good until sometime next year.

42. allantats says:

Thanks for the suggestions..will have to do some googling.
    I’ll scratch off the Peel Pub anyway. lol

43. habs001 says:

Why will the Habs be any more of a cup contender in 2-3 years than the majority of the rest of the teams?..You cannot predict if they get elite players thru trades or ufa…They would need 10 players who are in their organization with no NHL or minimal NHL experience to become above average players…Many present teams have way better 21 to 26 year olds on their team now and they also have future potential players in their organization…

44. knob says:

Great opportunity for the Habs to put some space between themselves and the Wings. Kinda wish Budja would get the start…looks like Carey could use a break and re-focus.

45. Bripro says:

Bertuzzi is out. That’s a good thing. Our guys won’t need eyes in back of their heads.
    But on the bad news front, Alfredson is in.
    He has what …… 1.3 PPG against us, lifetime?

46. allantats says:

Heading from T.O. to Montreal on Saturday to watch the game.
    Where’s the best place for a post game beer…Peel Pub?
    I hope Price is starting back to back tonight and tomorrow…

• Bripro says:

You can join Ian and the boys at Hurley’s.

• Mattyleg says:

Noooooooooo….

They’ve been closed down for recycling beer more times than you or I have had hot dinners.

Hurley’s on Crescent, Ye Olde Orchard on de la Montagne, even Maclean’s on Peel.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• CJ says:

Second Ye olde orchard. Always hit that spot before the game. Usually grab dinner at Baton Rouge. I normally check out the hotel in between. Usually see visiting team players.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Who was it that broke it gently to me that the Old Munich has not been in existence for a few centuries?

Anyway, don’t go there, Allantats. Jealous of you weekending in Montreal….

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, then it turned into ‘The Spectrum’ (a show venue) and then last year they knocked it down altogether and it’s now (like most of Montreal) condos.

I once bought a girl a drink there when I was 18.
          Her aunt thought I was cute.
          D’oh!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• If you can nab a table at the Cage aux Sports — especially the one beside the Bell Centre — I’d highly recommend it. Otherwise, McKibbin’s on Bishop is pretty good too. The Peel Pub is a little less dingy than it once was, but only a little.

47. Plekasuares says:

Who’s starting this mutiny against Mike?

Marinaro and Gagnon I’m guessing.

And maybe a bit of HI/O commentariat.

• Bripro says:

Marinaro I’ll agree with you.
        Gagnon is one of the good ones.

• CJ says:

When I listen to Gagnon, I swear he’s a Sens fan.

• Bripro says:

People always say that, and his co-panelists bug him about it, because he was the beat reporter for the Sens for their first 7-8 years.
            But I don’t think so.
            However, in a moment of weakness, I’ll admit that you might be right.
            But he’s very factual, and doesn’t make things up.

• CJ says:

I think he is, but we can respectfully see it differently. I do value his insight as it’s balanced and objective.

Tony is over the top. His demeaning, condescending style is not unlike what is televised between the first and second periods on Saturday night.

• JUST ME says:

Gagnon is highly overrated and tends to start rumors with what he sees not necessarily what he knows.

Now let say he saw a player that was mad he will make a story about it . I sure do hope that a few if not all the players are mad about right now for fan`s sake ! Is that abnormal and sign of a brewing situation ? Nope . One would hope that they show a little character.
          Actually Gagnon is the french`s Marinaro. Not to be trusted wants to get the attention wich he does not get anymore since he left la Presse newspaper in MTL.

• Bripro says:

I don’t know which Gagnon you’re referring to, but he’s nothing like the blowhard Marinaro.
            Unless of course, you’re Marinaro.

• Eddie says:

I think Clement Jodoin could step in temporarily if need be, with Gallant being very active as well.

It’s doable if there is a crisis.

48. DipsyDoodler says:

Someone mentioned income tax rates in different NHL cities.

Here is the latest data:

Some interesting facts.

1. US (resident) Players play state income tax during road games. Canadians do too but the Federal govt reimburses them.
    2. Two of the least taxed places are Alberta and BC.
    3. Ontario, Quebec, California, New York have the highest (similar) rates.
    4. Teams with the lowest rates (Alberta, Nashville, Florida teams, Phoenix) are not generally free agent magnets.
    5. Teams that have signed marquis free agents recently or historically (Philly, Rangers, Minnesota, the 3 California teams) have the highest tax rates.

In short tax rates clearly (a) don’t seem to affect players’ decisions, and (b) are no longer significantly different between Canada and the US (generally Western Canada has low rates, and while Ont and Qc have high rates they aren’t too different from NY, CA, PA etc …)

49. habsfan0 says:

Bouillon has been a healthy scratch a lot recently.
    If MT isn’t careful,Bouillon might start to develop a complex.

50. shiram says:

About Francois Gagnon’s twitter about discord in the locker-room, people should read his piece before going off on hyperboles.

51. Bripro says:

Three times’ a charm…

52. shiram says:

So you know we’re talking about coach stability.
    But what about having stable lines, especially if no one is hurt??

• Luke says:

Are the lines being shuffled because they aren’t producing or are the lines not producing because they are being shuffled.

I think, though, MT (and many coaches) no longer see a line as three players. It’s 2 players plus one.

It seems nowadays its a pair (C/W) that is consistent and a third player moved in an out as necessary.

Looking at Dallas, it’s Seguin and Benn as the pair. Nichuskin has played there, Cole has, Rousel has (I think)… etc

We have DD & Max (our most productive pair), Plex & Gionta (our most consistent). Eller & Galchenyuk have been paired together.

So yah… I dunno… Not saying this approach is better or worse. It seems to be a current NHL thing. It wouldn’t be an issue if these some of these jokers could find the back of the net on occassion.

• Steeltown Hab says:

DD and Max only productive with gallagher so tough to determine which 2/3 work.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

53. CJ says:

So much for either Thorton or Marleau. Great signing by Doug Wilson.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Each signed for only $20M. Consider that Brad Richards received $60M two years ago (he was a bit younger but still…).

I’m sure either of those guys would have gotten a similar deal from e.g. Sather or Holmgrem.

• CJ says:

The UFA pool is growing painfully thin. If Vanek and Moulson are locked up, there will be little left to pick over. Statsny is a centre, and unless we dump someone, he won’t fit in our lineup. Callahan is intriguing, but he is injury prone. Iggy? Four teams in four years?

In a weak year, Gionta and Markov’s value might be on the rise.

More and more when I watch teams sign the big UFA’s it appears to be disaster. I think UFA is where you pick up complimentary players. The big stars are drafted, developed from within or acquired in block bluster trades.

Seems to me, that most of the big UFA types, tend to be more mercenary minded. The leaders, tend to get re-signed by their teams, they know not to let them go.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Agreed, except maybe for Chara but that was just evil finding its level.

True on so many levels.

• CJ says:

I agree, complimentary players only. Teams, as much as the players, recognize the value and don’t want the player to go to open market. If the isles can’t get something done with Vanek, I bet his rights are traded at or around the draft, providing the the team an opportunity for exclusive negotiation.

I guess this whole thing is my roundabout way of saying we need to build our core through the draft and add complimentary players as they come available. To exelerate this process, getting picks and/or prospects for Markov, Gionta, etc., will only help to further and expedite this strategy.

• JF says:

I agree that most of the big UFA signings end up being disastrous. The exception in the last few years is Marian Hossa with Chicago.

54. ClutchNGrab says:

About the MT firing.

In the last 20 years the Habs had 8 different coaches:
    Jacques Demers
    Mario Tremblay
    Alain Vigneault
    Michel Therrien
    Claude Julien
    Guy Carbonneau
    Jacques Martin
    Randy Cunneyworth

As you can see, the eight doesn’t include the second MT stint nor the two times Bob Gainey took the reign of the team.

There were also six different GMs
    Serge Savard (Demers)
    Rejean Houle (Tremblay, Vigneault)
    Andre Savard (Vigneault, Therrien, Julien)
    Bob Gainey (Julien, Carbonneau, Martin)
    Pierre Gauthier (Martin, Cunneyworth)
    Marc Bergevin (Therrien)

Some stability is required, most Habs’ GMs had little time to work with the coach they hired to build a team.

With everything that was said at the time and still being said, I feel the Gainey/Martin team did a decent job at keeping the right prospect and trading the ones that didn’t fit.
    – D’agostini
    – Latendresse
    – Chipchura
    – Lapierre
    – O’Byrne
    – Trotter
    – Pyatt
    – Maxwell
    – Wyman
    – Stewart
    Were all traded after the habs got rid of them

The big problem were the players that came in and that has little to do with the coach.

The same has to happen with this team, who is kept from the current roster depend largely on the coach and the GM’s vision. In my opinion, it is too soon to evaluate that part.

• Ozmodiar says:

Longest “FIRST” post ever!! Congrats!

• Mr. Biter says:

Very good post showing the problems faced by G.M.’s and coach’s in Montreal. Win ASAP or your gone and that some stability is good. I realize the BG was GM for a while and did a good job IMO taking us to the Eastern Finals while he was here. The Goat was a disaster as GM. I don’t think the Habs are no where near as bad as the band wagon jumpers are now posting. My only problem is that it seems that certain players show up every night to play and some don’t. This can be addressed by benching a player, limiting ice time, however if these do not work some players may just not to want to be here (Cole) and have to go. Also some (not as many as posters think) are not NHL material, but you don’t replace them with worse players just for the sake of change. With the recent increase in AHL recalls I think MB may be looking at trading some of the farm boys for some rent a players with our cap space availability.
      Also unfortunately IMO the Habs go as Emelin goes (sorry CP and PK as we know you guys are the best). After he got hurt last year our record sank. When he came back and was playing good this year our record was good, then he goes into a slump and bingo so do the Habs. Don’t believe, me check the game records starting from last year after he got hurt till now. For some reason his play drives the team.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• New says:

I suspect you’re right and suspect that is why the owner put Serge Savard in charge of rebuilding the office. Remember when Bergevin said he could tell Galchenyuk was going to be a hockey player by meeting him for a moment? That of the type of ground level smarts that Serge Savard has.

We as fans write off this guy or that, forecast disaster when victory ensues, and claim the Cup on the first shootout win of the season. Management can’t do that. They have to know deep down that this or that guy has the parts, not that he came from some parts, and develop him. There are buckets of players out there who never get a real shot due to circumstance. It is easy to find the next Crosby if he’s around but a lot harder to recognize the immature homesick and confused kid playing seven minutes on the fourth line. But determining a 17 year old isn’t going to make it based on the needs or circumstances of some junior team somewhere is a bit foolhardy. He has a bad skating stride or balance, hey fix it, don’t talk about it.

But in the years it takes to develop any player you have to put an attraction together and dance to the owner’s investment needs, the business communities variable support, and constant media requests and PR events. Chances are you won’t be there when it comes together.

Takes a set of big ones all the way to the top to turn around a situation like this one. We’ll see how it goes.

• jacquesthemonkey says:

I posted something similar as well. Habs coaches average about 2 to 2.5 years at the helm. GMs get about double that. That’s not a lot of time to build a contender. Also, because of revenue considerations, it seems that the goal is to make the playoffs every year which mires the team in mediocrity. The team needs a longterm plan and they need to truely tank and rebuild. Otherwise it will be more of the same.

55. DipsyDoodler says:

The last two weren’t rookies. (I don’t count poor Cunny)

56. jacquesthemonkey says:

The unfortunate firing was Julien. They should have kept him.

57. B says:

List of current NHL coaches who have a better than .600 points% with their current teams:

Bylsma .671
    Queneville .668
    Hitchcock .664
    Babcock .661
    Therrien .656
    McLellan .649
    Julien .627
    Sutter .619

Look who’s in the top 5, go figure.

–Go Habs Go!–

58. jacquesthemonkey says:

The Habs aren’t a contender yet, so firing the coach won’t change much. Once the Habs have a more talented roster, and still suck, then you fire MT.

59. D Mex says:

I’d settle for bringing the jerseys but not wearing them (maybe wave them in the stands). Quite honestly, it has always been my view that the Habs jersey is special – make that very special – and should not be disrespected.
    IMHO, Edmonton does not set standards that are worthy of imitating in Montréal, particularly not at this point in time.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

60. bwoar says:

Bull.

“thoroughbred”

61. bwoar says:

What you do with your wife behind closed doors is your beeswax, chum.

“thoroughbred”

62. habcertain says:

its a hockey jersey, not the shroud of Turin.

63. Cal says:

Hey, we’re talking something real here, not some 12th century fake.

64. Mr. Biter says:

At what they cost they’re getting pretty close.

Mr. Biter