Bouillon signs one-year contract extension with Habs

The Canadiens announced on Wednesday morning that defenceman Francis Bouillon has been signed to a one-year contract extension worth $1.5 million that takes him through the 2013-14 season.

The 37-year old has played in all 28 games this season, posting 1-6-7 totals to go along with a plus-5 and 30 blocked shots. He also ranks third on the team with 48 hits while averaging 18:01 of ice time.

The Canadiens signed Bouillon as a free agent on July 2, 2012.

“That’s a good vote of confidence from the organization,” Bouillon said after practice about his contract extension. “When my agent called me two weeks to tell me that they wanted to sign me for next year I was really happy about it.”

“It’s a well-deserved contract,” coach Michel Therrien said, adding he was happy for Bouillon and his family.

Therrien called Bouillon, who has been paired with rookie Jarred Tinordi in the past two games, a bit of a mentor for young defenceman on the team.

“I know young guys rely a lot on older veterans who have been in the league for a long time,” Therrien said. “And I know Francis communicates really well with the young kids.”

Rene Bourque, recovering from a concussion, practised with his teammates Wednesday after wearing a no-contact jersey at Tuesday’s morning skate. He’s been cleared for contact, but it’s not clear yet when he’ll return to play. The Canadiens play the New York Islanders on Thursday (7 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690) and are back home at the Bell Centre on Saturday to face off against the Buffalo Sabres.

The good news is that he’s joined the team for practices, “so it’s an important progression,” Therrien said.

“I can’t tell you exactly if he’ll be there on the weekend,” the coach added. “The medical team will certainly re-evaluate him on Friday and will make a decision.”

The lines at Wednesday’s practice were Ryder-Plekanec-Gionta; Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher; Galchenyuk-Eller-Armstrong; Moen-Dumont-White; with Bourque as the extra man.

Defence pairings were Markov-Emelin; Gorges-Subban; Bouillon-Tinordi; with Kaberle the extra man.

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

Sabres drop Canadiens in overtime, by Pat Hickey

Therrien won’t let P.K. off the hook, by Pat Hickey

Sabres storm has passed, by Dave Stubbs

Canadiens vs. Sabres photo gallery

Carbonneau likes the new-look Habs, by Stu Cowan

Happy 65th birthday to Bobby Orr, by Stu Cowan

Kind of a weird story, remember back a few weeks and Rick Dipietro was talking about a great deal of dark things as it related to his career. Now he apparantly is feeling pretty good about making a comeback, starting in the AHL.

2. Loonie says:

I see there were some comparisons to the Detroit Red Wings last night with regard to how the Habs should build.

There was some misconception with those posts in my opinion. The Detroit Red Wings didn’t stockpile draft picks and prospects in their best days. They’ve traded a first round pick 10 times in the last 20 years. What they did do was develop well and properly identify the right players to keep in most cases. But they’ve still let their share of excellent players get away.

The good to take away from the Red Wings is that they established a team first philosophy from the top down to the bottom. It seems that’s exactly what Bergevin’s doing in Montreal.

Good things.

• Cal says:

Holland insists on no player being “rushed” (in his opinion). He wants all his players to be in the AHL for at least 2 seasons. When a player arrives in Detroit, that player is ready. Sure, some don’t quite do it, but most of those “developed” players do stay in the lineup.

• Loonie says:

I agree Cal but one thing to recognize with that developmental philosophy is that they rarely have blue chippers in their system. Brendan Smith is probably the only example in recent history of a player in their system who was ready prior to being brought up.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I like Hollands philosophy. Especially with Dmen. I’m ok with Tinordi being called up for a handful of games, but I think he should spend the end of the season in the AHL, and even part of the beginning of next season (or the whole season if necessary). I think that’s one reason Boullion was resigned. To allow the organization depth at D in order to continue Tinordi and Beaulieu’s development, among others

• Luke says:

I think two of Detroit’s great skills over the years has been:

1) Slotting players into roles that they are suited for. Basically, they don’t set players up for failure, and ask them to excel at what they can do.
      2) Finding & succeeding with reclaimation projects. Probably due to #1, they are able to find players other teams have given up on and turn them into productive players.

That said, I think this year it’s finally caught up to them a bit. They are looking a bit thin… sure it may have taken 25years to look a bit thin… but they should trade Datsyuk to Montreal for DD.

3. thebonscott says:

2 things MB should focus on
    1. greg sherman in colorada is an idiot, put him on speeddial
    2. how can i acquire chris stewart out of st. louis, the man is an animal.

“A guy i hate just told me he has cancer…..I told him I felt bad for the cancer.” -Ed the Sock.

• Habfan17 says:

It would be great if Bergevin could get Stewart as long as it does not involve any core players!

Habfan17

• thebonscott says:

white, weber, and a second rounder??? throw in moen??

“I found out that a guy I hate has cancer … I told him I feel bad for the cancer” -Ed the Sock.

• piper says:

Dream on boys. You don’t get power forwards of that calibre for spare parts and a second round pick. It would take a very good roster player and a fairly high pick IMO.

• Luke says:

a 4th round pick (High pick in a deep draft) +
          Blunden (Stud prospect in Hamilton) +
          Weber (Excellent Offensive Dman) +
          Armstrong (Roster player, though he’s scoring at an insane clip right now, so it may not take much more than him).

Do it MB!

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

The media tell us that St-Louis needs a top 4 defenceman so they would be asking for one PLUS they would want something else … like Eller back.

Obviously, the higher the target, the higher the ask in return.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

Another night in the NHL, another careless headshot.

• Habfan10912 says:

I’ve come to the conclusion that the league or the players are not very interested in ridding the game of these hits. Lupul will probably get a game or two and things will quickly return to normal. In my opinion the league has been too conservative in the suspensions given out and the NHLPA should be pushing for tougher penalties.
      My proposal, Any hit where there is primary contact to the head should get an automatic 5 games. Primary contact with intent, which we saw last night, or drawing another penalty such as interference, elbowing, 20 games. Second offenders 40 games. Three peat, see ya. Mandatory drug test the night of the infraction complete with HGH test as well. This has to stop before someone is killed.

Having watched much of the last few Leaf games since Lupul’s return, he has been running around the ice with a real swagger about him. I don’t say that in the best way, but further to 10912’s post about drug testing, I have to wonder…. Just came back from an injury, I don’t know, I guess I’m just sayin’….

Morning Steve

5. Habfan17 says:

With Boullion signed for another season, does this mean there is a trade in the works? With Markov, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz, and Subban and now Boullion, that really only leaves room for one other player…Tinordi? Pateryn?Beaulieu? Maybe Bergevin just wants them to have one more season in Hamilton!

Habfan17

• 24 Cups says:

No big surprise here. This deal became inevitable once Bouillon showed that he could still play NHL minutes. Kaberle is going to be the amnesty buyout while Weber will probably bring a low level pick. The top five Dmen are set which leaves Bouillon and Tinordi to share the last two spots next year. Pateryn and Beaulieu will be emergency call-ups through out the year. They don’t have to clear waivers, they can man both the left and right sides and balance out in terms of offensive and defensive skill sets.

It’s a stop gap measure for one more year until the Habs have to make some major decisions, both in terms of player personnel and cap structure. MB starts to really earn his money during the summer of 2014.

Next question is who will fill the Ryder RW spot next season.

• Habfan17 says:

Very nice insight! I would imagine they will look and see if Kristo may be ready for the 3rd line. If he is, then they already have Gallagher and Gionta unless they trade him. They have a few options for the 4th line.

Habfan17

Kristo I am hoping 24 may, i stress may be able to make the jump.

Ottawa’s injury list. (I know we’re all Hab fans but let’s give credit where credit is due.)

Jared Cowen
    2013-01-07
    on injured reserve and will miss the entire season
    left hip surgery

Jason Spezza
    2013-01-28
    on injured reserve and is out indefinitely
    back surgery

Erik Karlsson
    2013-02-14
    on injured reserve and is expected to miss the remainder of the season
    left Achilles surgery

knee surgery

Marc Methot
    2013-03-20
    questionable for Thursday’s game against Boston
    lower body

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Steve. Just incredible what that the Sens are doing without these players.

• 24 Cups says:

Jim – I find it gets a bit tiresome to just read about how dastardly the Bruins, laffs and Bettman are. SOS.

Everyone is talking about Montreal’s resurgence but the same can be stated about Ottawa’s turnaround. Their drafting in 2008/09 was off the charts. Seven players from those two years are now on the big club. Basically 1/3 of the team. Solid trades for Michalek, Turris, Methot and Anderson filled major holes in the line-up.

• Habfan10912 says:

A great job by the coaching staff as well. The team has a system in place and they seem to be able to plug in different players at any time.

• monmick says:

Lundin will play tonight, apparently…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

7. SPATS says:

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

8. The Dude says:

As well as we’re doing MB is still gonna have to get a huge truculent honest to god real hockey player to go along with DD and Gally and a monster Dman and both have got to be under 30 …and that’s how I see it. GeT hEr dOnE mB!

So, is Therrien still the coach.

10. christophor says:

Changing gears.

I will be happy if the Habs manage to get both Duclair and J.Subban with two of their late-1st, early-2nd round picks

edit: preferably with their early 2nd’s.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I suspect the Habs will use one of their 2nd rounders to move up in the first round. If not the suspense will be crazy if Jordan is available around their 2nd round picks. I think he is getting a bad rap because of his size.

11. Hamayoune says:

If Dallas starts losing, and go on sell mode, would you want to acquire Jagr?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

No…Cole. :)

• Sportfan says:

I know MB doesn’t want to rent but I’d go for Morrow

• johnnylarue says:

Getting Jags for prospects/picks–i.e. as a net addition to our roster–would effectively spell the death of a “Fourth Line” in Montreal. We’d wind up with something like Prust, Gionta/Ryder/Bourque/Whoever and then one of either Moen, White, Armstrong, or Dumont, on the fourth line.

Could it work? Maybe. Pleks and Jags on a line together still represents some very legitimate science–as evidenced during the lockout. But Jagr neither fights nor clears the crease, and he would be taking the spot of one of our lesser-talented role-players, without whom, it is alleged, no team can win the Cup.

That said, as counter-intuitive as it sounds, I tend to agree with conventional hockey wisdom here, in that a “glue guy” like Armstrong is probably more important to the team than an added scoring threat.

To sum up: Armstrong > Jagr…!

I went there.

I think this signing is the clearest indication that Weber’s days as a Hab are numbered. I highly doubt that Weber gets resigned this summer. Kaberle is probably the other amnesty buy-out. It will be the same top 6 as the Habs have now; Markov, Subban, Emelin, Gorges, Diaz, Bouillon. That means the Habs insurance for next season in case of injuries will be Tinordi, Pateryn and Beaulieu and they will not need to be rushed as they can be brought up with less pressure of having to make it and instead be given chances to prove themselves in case of injuries. As for the the other prospects coming into the ranks, I recognize the Habs are seemingly stacked on defence for years, some suggest too much, but I can’t fathom how this can be a bad thing. It’s only bad if mismanaged or assets are squandered. Which we’ve seen in the past.

Here’s hoping the team’s pro-scouting and development departments become as good as the amateur-scouting has been so that these players can be matured slowly and not lost. If I am not mistaken, that was how Detroit operated for so long to build itself into a perennial contender and near dynasty, by not being averse to keeping prospects in the minors so that they could develop into more NHL ready players when the time comes.

• Mr. Biter says:

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• Jim Edson says:

Webers permanent seat in the pressbox is a more telling to his future!

WRT pro-scouting the only way to go is up considering the shambles Goatier left behind!

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

• Bill says:

I have to agree. No problem with letting Tinordi, Beaulieu, etc taking their time developing in the AHL. It’s a good league and a lot of teams let their prospects ripen there for a long time. Two years of seasoning for prospects isn’t too much IMO.

Full Breezer 4 Life

13. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The Montréal Canadiens are 2nd in the league with 9 goaltender interference penalties after San Jose (10). The next team is Calgary with 5. This is a problem especially with Max’s stupid penalty late in the third. Do we hear or read about this in any interviews or reports? No. All we hear and read about is PK’s penalty which was not even a penalty. And you wonder why PK supporters get upset. BTW the reporter who wrote the two articles above is the same guy who said PK should not be on the first unit of the power play BUT states he is a fan of PK…give me a break.

• kholdstare says:

If the Pacioretty powerplay resulted in a loss would you have heard about it? For Sure, did it? no it did not. Did PK’s penalty result in a loss? It did, we are hearing about it.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

So penalties are okay if you don’t get scored on? How do you know the Habs would not have scored during the two minutes Max was in the box? “PK’s penalty resulted in a loss”…so the penalty killers have no responsibility? Markov was beat by Ott to the rebound on the winning goal. It was a team loss and the media treated it like it wasn’t.

• kholdstare says:

Penalties are a lot easier to handle when you dont get scored on, ya i would say thats fair to say.

Never said I knew for sure they wouldnt score when max was in box, not sure where you are getting that.

Penalty kill has responsibility for the goal, for sure they were on ice, never said they didnt.

The team lost, yup they did, in ot, in a game they should of lost in regulation.

• johnnylarue says:

Call me crazy, but if I’m the coach and my team is getting a bunch of calls for goaltender interference, I generally take that as a sign that my players are hungry for goals. Sure, it shows a lack of goalie-screening finesse to an extent, but these are generally penalties which result from a team being aggressive and making a concerted effort to put the puck in the net–as opposed to penalties of the reprehensible ‘lazy’ variety.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

You’re crazy…just kidding. Intent is fine but should not be an excuse for penalties. Everyone knows the NHL has tightened up on goaltender interference. One of the points made against the fact that PK’s stick never hit the Buffalo player was that it did not matter because refs are looking to call such plays regardless. The same argument should apply for Max’s play as well.

• johnnylarue says:

No argument there. Max looked pretty goofy lying on Enroth and shrugging his shoulders like, “What? He was already like this when I got here!”

• Habs_4_ever says:

Give him a break ! They are making it sound like he is the only reason why they lost the game. I don’t think the penalty was warranted and if he had made contact he would have been a hero.

I think there are people that are just waiting for P.K to mess up so that they can crap all over him. Before yesterday’s game he was being mentioned as a possible Norris trophy candidate and after the game he’s all of a sudden a worthless bum.

————————
        “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

• sheds88 says:

can’t argue that the power play was very good with markov and diaz manning the points

EA Sports just announced the new release of HIO13. Available for Playstation and XBox. Line combos and trade fantasies never seemed so real.

• Ozmodiar says:

I already have my copy. Workin’ my way through the forwards. So far…

Bourque – Lacavalier – Lafleur
      Shutt – Getzlaf – Gionta

• Bill says:

I just traded Kaberle and Desharnais for Patrick Kane!

If it’s in the game … it’s not in HIO13.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• johnnylarue says:

Tried the demo and it’s a real stinker. For starters, the game doesn’t let you put Desharnais on the wing, which is super frustrating.

And then if you want to make an obvious move like trade Kaberle to Ottawa for Chris Neil, it’s considered a “Premium Feature” and the game makes you pay extra to unlock it.

Curiously though, it let me trade any player from my fantasy team for Halak, over and over again. So I’m able to ice a team that looks like this:

Halak – Halak – Halak
      Halak – Halak – Halak
      Halak – Halak – Halak
      Halak – Halak – Halak

Halak – Halak
      Halak – Halak
      Halak – Halak

Halak
      Halak

I’ve currently got Halak as 7th D, and unfortunately another Halak is currently out with a pulled groin.

So yeah, it’s a pretty awesome team, obviously.

But the game sucks. Save your money for an Atlanta Thrashers jersey or something instead.

• Bill says:

My least favourite thing about the game is the in-game commentary. Seems like every play leads to Mike Boone’s voice saying “got a bad feeling about this”. And every time the Habs get scored on, a troll dances a jig on the screen while intoning “weak goal, Price should have had that one”.

Full Breezer 4 Life

15. ahabsfanoutwest says:

anyone home…can I get a thought on this…

I know he just signed, but would this get it done?

Perry & Ryan to les glorieux for Gionta, Plekanec, two 1st rounders and two seconds?

Leo

Leo

16. Dr.Rex says:

How about Tiny Tin?

I just saw Johnny Larue’s suggestion of Tiny for Tinordi, I can endorse this. Just not sure it plays out well for him on the social scene.

18. frontenac1 says:

Lupol with a headshot on Hedman. Dirty hit.Chat with Shanny for sure.

19. ahabsfanoutwest says:

I know he just signed, but would this get it done?

Leo

20. kirbhabs says:

The difference between White and PK is the fact that when White had his problems… We did not have injuries and white was barely even on the roster. PK is worth more to this team, and with Diaz out and a rookie in etc. etc. etc. A discussion between the coach and PK is all that is necessary as professionals. Points are just worth too much to jeopardize more with an alpha male dictatorship approaching of sitting PK just to prove he can. Especially with how well PK has played.

• kholdstare says:

just to be clear I have never said benching Subban is a good idea or should be done. That to me is not smart.

• twilighthours says:

I don’t agree with any coach using the media to chastise a player – PK or White.

And that is where the comparisons between the two players end. Because they are incomparable.

21. jimmy shaker says:

Is there a stat for goalposts or crossbars hit? If there is, the boys have to lead the league in that category.

Shaker out!

22. idle says:

I always like the Cube. Glad to see he is working out this season and will be back for next.

BTW is “It was a bad penalty, especially with the effort the guys had in the second and third periods,” said Therrien. “We’re going to take care of that so that it doesn’t happen again.” what everyone is referring to ‘calling out’ P.K? or is there more I am missing??

That really doesn’t seem like much of a call out to me…

• gumper says:

Je pense que c’est tout. Perhaps we’re just overreacting, but I can’t help but connect anything MT says about PK to his earlier stated desire to make him a better person. Makes me nervous.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

23. L Elle says:

In fairness to Therrien, he was asked a direct question about PK and answered it. The same question was not asked of Max’s penalty.

A lot of what Therrien says, imho, is lost in translation.

• kholdstare says:

I want to know where all the defenders of White were when he made that bonehead move that cost them the game? We all liked Therrien getting mad then. How come there is such a double standard for Subban? He has every right to be upset with Subban. Subban made a bonehead play, yet he cant bench him because he is our best defenceman, but when some grinder makes idiotic play there isnt a single word about it.

• twilighthours says:

I defended White. I am sorta disappointed with MT’s response to the question. However, PK and White are not equivalent players, and don’t necessarily have to be treated as such (in my opinion, which is worth zippo).

• kholdstare says:

So idiotic play by superstar is less idiotic than idiotic play by dime a dozen grinder. gotchya.

Im not sure what people expected him to say, if he didnt say the exact same thing, then he is a hypocrite, MT is preaching team first, letting Subban get a pass is not team first.

• twilighthours says:

Yes, idiotic play by easily replaceable grinder who makes few good plays a game is different than idiotic play by franchise defenseman who makes marvelous plays every shift and once in a while makes idiotic plays. Absolutely.

As for MT, there are plenty of people who think he still has his favourites, even if they aren’t playing well.

• kholdstare says:

marvelous plays every shift, right.

People who think eh?

24. Bill says:

@Hobie: don’t you think Bouillon’s salary is a little hefty for a press box sitter? Looks to me like they’re paying him to play!

It’ll be the same D as last year unless Diaz or Gorges get moved.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• twilighthours says:

I think one of those two is getting moved. I can’t see Cube being a regular 7th D.

• Ozmodiar says:

No. 1.5M isn’t too much for a 7th D, especially if the 6th is going to be a rookie.

Ballard, Komi, Kaberle all make 4M + and have been 7th on the depth chart. There are plenty of other examples as well (maybe not @ > 4M, but you get the idea). Depth on D is good. 1.5 is very manageable whether he’s #6 or #7. I’m not sayin’ the Cube will be #7, just that it’s affordable.

Yours Truly,
      Hobie

25. Kfourn says:

Anybody else notice Chiarelli chatting up Bill Daly in the Pressbox while the other GMs were quietly taking in the game.

_______________________________________________________
    Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

26. Bill says:

Bob MacKenzie saying this could be the game that gets Boucher fired. Wouldn’t be surprised.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• kholdstare says:

Vancouver should get him if they do drop him, vigneault looks almost done there, then tampa should hire ruff. solved.

• Bill says:

Vigneault has become such a good coach and had such consistent success, I can’t see him getting canned. Why would you? No one is gonna do a better job, and he doesn’t seem like the type to lose a room.

Full Breezer 4 Life

27. HabFab says:

A more in depth look at the proposed rule changes and both sides positions from LeBrun;

28. Just A Guy says:

Ooh Kronwall just made a similar play that Subban made yesterday with his OT open-ice attempt. He missed his hit and got called for a non-existent high-stick as well.

• Bash says:

Contact with the head for sure. The guy (a no name) was not hurt so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• Just A Guy says:

At least to only see the reaction from…why can’t I remember his name right now, Detroit’s coach. They scored on the PP and put the Wings in a hole, so its a parallel situation.

I do agree that while its not a dirty hit, head contact was made, but its hard to say about all that principle point stuff, he just lead in straight with his shoulder. Kronwall was called for having his stick too high, that is if no other call was going to be made.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Interesting… will Kronwall have to be made a better person?

29. Bash says:

In other news Mcquaid out 3-4 weeks with shoulder injury.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

30. kholdstare says:

The Guy Boucher love affair on here has died down quite a bit, and its been just over a year. Yet we still talk a lot about halak, I doubt that will ever change though.

31. jols101 says:

Lightning making the Laffs look like the 1987 Team Canada squad.

32. Danno says:

Tampa Bay sucks

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

33. Bill says:

How do you guys do that thing where you embed a link in you own text? I’m gonna mess around with that.

Test

SUCCESS

Full Breezer 4 Life

34. Danno says:

Tampa Bay stinks

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

35. Hobie Hansen says:

Bouillon is a classy guy and is playing solid defense. Aside from maybe not having the reach of a guy who’s 6’2″, there’s nothing wrong with Franky.

He wins puck battles, knocks guys right off pucks entirely and looks rather steady on offense, enough to land him on the 2nd PP unit.

I think with Tinordi ready to graduate next year and Diaz being healthy, Bouillon was signed as some insurance as a 7th defenseman. There’s always injuries and even if there isn’t I’m sure he’ll find his way into the lineup.

This signing is further proof that Eller or Plekanec is getting traded.

37. HabFab says:

So the GM’s look positively at visors and hybrid icing. Now in the PA’s court.

38. Psycho29 says:

Not sure if it was posted here already but for what it’s worth, the Montreal Board of Trade has announced it has launched a feasibility study on whether there’s a market for baseball :

Also, Warren Cromartie was on TSN-690 this afternoon discussing it:

• habsfan0 says:

Yes,there is DEFINITELY a market for major league baseball in Montreal.
      However,MLB will not return to Montreal on Bud Selig’s watch. Also,a downtown stadium with a retractable roof within walking distance of a metro station would be required. I’m not sure if this land is still available adjacent or close to the Bell Centre.

And how about conducting a feasibility study on whether or not an NFL team would be a success in Montreal. IMHO,it would probably do better than a MLB team and could play out of Olympic Stadium(as long as significant upgrades were made to that edifice,including,but not limited to,corporate boxes.)

39. Bill says:

God Tampa Bay suck. They have just quit. Guy Boucher must be mentally preparing his résumé.

Full Breezer 4 Life

40. Dave Jones says:

I really like Bouillon at 1.5. It’s interesting to see MB resigning guys mid-season. I think it’s gotta be a big boost in the locker room.

I’ve given up trying to figure out who MB could trade to make this team bigger and better given where we sit in the standings. Seems so obvious that there’s room for improvement, but impossible to identify the moveable piece(s).

• ABHabsfan says:

Could be a boost in the locker room unless you’re the guy not getting signed.

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

41. johnnylarue says:

Hey gang,

I’ve been lurking in the shadows here for a long, long time, and in all likelihood I will continue to judge your public personae from a distance rather than contribute redundant comments on a regular basis. (You’re welcome!)

That said, the reason I felt compelled to register for this forum today was to set the record straight with regards to Jarred Tinordi’s nickname. Hence, let this be my one, enduring contribution to the HIO Datasphere:

Tiny.

Thank you in advance for allowing me this opportunity to enrich your lives. (If you like, consider it my way of ‘giving back’ after poring through 3+ seasons of countless proposed line combinations.)

42. commandant says:

Glen Sather was not at the GM meetings. He will be undergoing surgery to deal with Prostate Cancer tomorrow. Scary Stuff.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

43. Danno says:

There is plenty of blame to go around for last night’s loss. Most of the team failed to show up until half way through the game.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

44. habsgod says:

can anyone tell me with the boullion signing what does that do for our cap space what do we have left for this year and next year?

45. gumper says:

Wonder why Therrien feels it necessary to “fix” Subban for the bad penalty he took, while Max escapes criticism for the bad one he took. Just a tiny bit worried about the fact that PK seems to be the boss’s pet project.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

• The Dude says:

The call was bad and if PK was evil could of put that guy in traction for life and been suspended for a long time. You know again we have a clasic example of a team that can’t handle the “clutch” and go on to choke and this should be Therrien’s concern…..but no he’s acting like another x-hab coach Jullien and should just put a soother in it!

• saskhabfan says:

Also there is DD who always seems to avoid being called out by therrien for his inconsistent at best play this year. He is the one who lost a puck battle in the slot which led to the first sabres goal and was skating around aimlessly while his man scored the 2nd one. DD is being outplayed badly by eller who has a 19 year old and colby armstrong as his wingers.

• The Dude says:

And then Patches bad penalty on Horvath…team sport.

• Marc10 says:

He was called out earlier by Therrien around game 10 in the French media. DD’s line was eventually broken up at that time although that didn’t last…

I’m very happy with the signing because it will give you a chance to complain about our two French Canadians and their preferential treatment on the team.

Never mind when they actually have a decent game you’ll find a way to spin it so line mates get the credit (see the last Boston game where Gally got all the credit for DD’s first star performance…)

You’re a broken record. Let me recap your next 50 posts and save you the trouble: Therrien, Bouillon and DD are crap (and just happen to be French Canadian…) Does that about cover it?

• saskhabfan says:

Nope,i wasn’t sure about therrien but i’m happier then hell he has done a good job. My issue is if players are expected to be accountable,then that should be everybody. The standard should be the same across the board. I also like the cube,he is one of the few guys who gets what it means to wear the CH on his jersey and pound for pound is one tough man. Long story short,DD gets sheltered. This year the best thing about his line have been his linemates. Nice try though trying to put your broken record language spin on a post which most people will agree with.

• Marc10 says:

Glad to hear it’s only DD then.

DD is one dimensional and yes, on this site, you are not the only one actively campaigning to have him shipped off. Some posters left the DD bashing boat last year because of his ridiculously good return on investment, but there are a die hard bunch (and some are obviously biased against him for his size or his ‘favourite son’ status as a franco…)

Is there a bias shown by management towards certain players, undoubtedly. Colby Armstrong and Cube are two players Therrien brought in and trust implicitly. He’s been through wars with them. Prust would also fit into that category because he’s just plain awesome… and Therrien (and MB obviously through the contract signing) rate DD and did lay off him at the start of the season (as they did MaxPac) when they were behind the eight ball. I see that as reward for past services (ie, last year when Max-DD-Cole were our only line), not excessive and unfair bias.

I’m just getting tired of this constant refrain whereby every error he makes is his fault, but every point he racks up is because he had exceptional linemates who put it on the tee for him. That’s bias and it doesn’t pass the smell test (especially when yet again it’s DD bashing time when the post was originally about PK and Therrien’s tough love is going to ruin him/send him to another team line…)

• Timo says:

If I am Subban, after 2 years I am walking out of here. There will be 29 other teams happy to have him and willing to pay the $$$.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

I had the exact same thought after reading that. Bad enough Subban gets criticized & picked on by some media, we don’t need one of our own (coach) doing the same thing.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The thing is, again, Michel Therrien was asked a direct question by the press corps about P.K.’s penalty, which was flagrant and spectacular since it happened in OT and led to Steve Ott’s game-winning goal. He answered it with a business-like ten second response.

He didn’t call out P.K., as some posters are fantasizing.

He wasn’t asked a question about Max’s penalty, and it would have been interesting if he had. Max was at least careless on that play. He should have expected the little bump when he first made contact with the goalie, and been prepared to stop there, rather than topple over.

46. Loonie says:

Anyone interested in a wager?

I noticed I’ve been a little negative lately. I’m willing to wager that I can post comments strictly of a positive nature for the next week.

I’m willing to set a reasonable minimum number of posts as a qualifier.

47. Komihater says:

Well my handle seems kinda pointless now….sigh

In any case, there is only one guy i would like to see a trade for (unless that magical tough Dman pops up) and his name is Jaromir F Jagr. Who’s with me!!!?

*crickets*

48. frontenac1 says:

@bri. No problem amigo. There is another good topless Bar in Dorion. At liitle farther for me but No problem.We will make it happen amigo.

49. frontenac1 says:

Komi back to the Habs? Not unless he embarks on the Six Perfections that Budaj could help him with. Komi has lost his spiritual centre.He is useless until he understands this . Bodhisattva.

50. The Dude says:

Riberio no #8 in NHL scoring and after all those criticisms from the experts all those years proves what they say bout opinions ,just like as-ho-es everybody’s got one.

51. Mr. Biter says:

So much for my post earlier today about Cube leaving after this year. I think I’ll join Frontnac early for some pints at Brit’s in downtown Minny tonite. Old style British Tavern with plenty of ales and old english grub.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

52. jimmy shaker says:

looks like budaj on thursday, carey on sat, budaj back again vs the pens and back to carey for the cubs the next night. I like that schedule!

Shake and bake and I’m out!

53. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

A question for the CBA savvy – when a player is going to be bought out under the amnesty (Komiberle) we are led to beleive that they bubble wrap them in Gomex, a wearable fabric that’s good in any room, to keep them from getting injured and thus ineligible for the buyout.

But who is too say that the player is “injured”. Let’s say the Komiberle gets traded to a team that knowingly could care less if he gets hurt for the next year. Might K goes down for the count, but the player, knowing full well he is going to be paid and no-one really wants him anyway, declares he is healthy.

Who is the arbiter? Does the league administer a base line test?

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

54. frontenac1 says:

@Ian. Nothing pulled out,just more pain than usual. Frikkin Quack.

55. piper says:

Habs should hire Darren Langdon to teach the players that can’t fight (Emelin, PK, etc.) how to tie the opponent up so they don’t loose. Langdon was great at that when he got in over his head and seldom lost a fight.

56. Mr_MacDougall says:

OK, People seem to be wanting a bottom 6 forward that is responsible, big, and tough along with a Top 4 D that is big, tough, and responsible.. I respect most regular posters opinions on here and was wondering who would be the suggested player(s) to be moved out to bring in there players.. how does the lineup shape up?

Obviously the top two lines are
    Gallagher DD Patch
    Ryder Plek Gionta
    Bourque Eller (New guy??)
    Armstrong Galchenyuk Prust
    Moen, White

Top D pairings
    PK (new guy?)
    Markov Emelin
    Gorges/Boullion/Tinordi/Diaz/Kaberle/Weber

So who would go? who would stay?
    just interested in posters thoughts on what lines need to be changed? what players have to play on which line…

57. rogus says:

Good signing. I would much rather have Frankie for 1.5/1yr over Gorges 3.9/4yrs. Gorges blocks shots but is weak around the net.
    Plus the extra 2.5mil equates to an extra decent 3rd or 4th line player, or money to throw at PK when he’s due for a raise. It’s contracts like Gorges that concern me, rather than DD @3.5.

58. frontenac1 says:

@bri. For sure amigo. They have a good Toppless Bar right off the 401 in St.Zotique. Meet ya there!

59. HabFab says:

Kristo getting some love in North Dakota, also speaks about why he stayed in school this season;

60. GoGioGo says:

Based on what we’ve seen from him so far, I strongly believe all the people who expect MB to pull the trigger on a major deal before the deadline will be seriously disappointed on April 4th.

He has already stated that he is not interested in rentals, which rules out a lot of armchair GMs’ fantasies.

I used to be mad at Gainey, all those years when he didn’t do anything at the deadline. But quite frankly this year, I would be okay with it.

Regarding that big, stay-at-home defenceman everyone’s been talking about for a while, it is very possible that we already got him when Tinordi was called up.

The only thing I would try to do (and I’m sure MB has already tried, and will keep trying) is getting rid of Kaberle. Otherwise he will certainly be bought out this summer.

So… let the bashing begin!

61. jmsheehy19 says:

Not Habs related, but anybody have any Cinderellas in their brackets?

62. frontenac1 says:

@burly. Hey amigo! How did the Lassies do in Switzerland today? I was at the dentist and he wouldn’t put it on the TV. I offered him a 10 spot and he got mad. Stupid move on my part.

63. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

So, the Penalty Kill woes this year … observations and questions.

This year, it seems to me that the defensive forwards in the Habs zone are playing more in the middle as though to take away the direct centre shot from the point, leaving the side slots wide open for an easier cross slot pass … it is really pronounced when Eller is on the ice, but I have to think this is by coaching design, and it seems not to be working.

People here have also wondered why, save for Gill, we have essentially the same personnel this year as the past two when we were very good on the PK, are we flailing so badly?

Consider this – for three years, Pittsburgh, with the same personnel (save for Goligoski perhaps) moved from 9th to 2nd to 3rd and now are awful … just like the Habs. In Pitts case, I think they have the same assistant coach – Grannato? making it ever harder to fathom.

Is this logically explained or do we throw up our hands and say “Inshallah?” :-)

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Loonie says:

The perception that the personnel on the penalty kill is just that, perception.

Armstrong and White have eaten a ton of pk time this season. I see the penalty killing woes a little differently. When the puck is down low both of our defensemen are routinely applying puck pressure and the forwards drop down.

Flawed scheme in my opinion. I’d rather have Emelin covering the front of the net than Ryan White. But that’s just how I see it.

• Habfan10912 says:

I think you are on to something. I posted something earlier and noted the personal we have all had good track records of playing the PK. It has to be something with the system/scheme.
        If this team is going to make a long playoff run, it is something that needs to improve, for sure.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Agree as well that the system is flawed, I was focusing more on the forwards allowing the easier in slot transition – my other question is by contrasing Pitt, have they changed their system (although, they have actually improved dramatically in the last 9 games)

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

64. habsfanincalgary says:

TSN posts that Komisarek has waived his no trade in order to be placed on waivers! I’m sure that there will be a team that will pick him up…cheaply.

Frankie has always been a solid, defensively responsible D. Glad he’s back.

Does the whole Kaberlae healthy scratch thing remind anyone of the Jannie Niinima signing? They both were traded for and didn’t play very much. The only snag with Kaberlae is that’s a lot of cap room sitting in the press box!

The Mack Truck Bouillon will play those 3 foot wide shoulders, at least one more year at the Bell Center, and he will win the Stanley Cup!!! Great!

66. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m surprised there has not been much talk about the PK not coming through again last night. The best Habs teams always found a way to get out of trouble. Maybe try Tinordi on the 5 on 3 with his long stick? (Can’t believe I just wrote that…here come the jokes)

BTW can someone teach Emelin how to fight before he gets killed? Thanks…

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Not to worry DDO, I deliberately cleared the way for that earlier in the thread!

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

67. frontenac1 says:

@bri. I’m with you amigo. The Habs are playing great. Yeah they were asleep until TU-74 dropped”em and then what a come back eh?PK got carried away a bit in OT,but sh*t happens.Les Boys are going the distance this year. Los Habs Para Siempre!!

68. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I don’t mind the Bouillon signing. He’ll probably be a 7th d-man next year, or have the same role as this year. It’s fine.

And now, some random speculation on what MB does in the next few weeks (these are my wild guesses):

-Brian Gionta gets traded either in a package or on his own. This opens up a spot for Danny Kristo to join the team a la Chris Kreider with the Rangers last year. Bourque-Pleks-Ryder and Galchenyuk-Eller-Kristo are the new look lines after this move.

-Moen gets traded to make room for Dumont.

69. habsfan0 says:

If the NHL permits a coach’s challenge,one of the issues will be how to signal it. For safety reasons,obviously a coach cannot simply throw a red flag onto the playing surface as they do in the NFL. An option might be to have a head coach “buzz” the referees to notify them of his intention to challenge a play,but for optic reasons,this wouldn’t translate very well to television viewers or fans attending the game. A solution might be to have a head coach wave a challenge flag above his head,similar to the way a referee signals the end of a half in football.

70. habsfan0 says:

NHLPA looking into grandfathering visors.

• punkster says:

My grandfather was an excellent adviser…told my Mom to marry my Dad…and here I am.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• 24 Cups says:

That could be an 18 year process. Not good enough by a long shot.

At the end of this season, let every player know that visors will be mandatory starting in Oct, 2013. They have all summer plus training camp to prepare. Problem solved. Also make no-tough icing mandatory this October. Second problem solved. Then give the league one year to bring in better equipment that is not based on medieval armour. It would become mandatory in Oct/2014. Third problem solved.

It’s that easy.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I do not understand how anybody could argue for mandatory visors.. it is laughable to me. The analogy I’d use is to lap belts in a car without shoulder straps. Why not a mandatory full cage? it is much safer than a visor. Saku koivu had a horrific eye injury while wearing a visor.

• shiram says:

I’d be for full cages, but let’s take it one step at a time.
          As for visors, like seatbelts, they don’t prevent all injury, but they are much better than no protection at all.

• twilighthours says:

I don’t follow. Because visors aren’t as safe as cages, we shouldn’t advocate? Because some injuries might still happen with visors, we shouldn’t advocate? Explain.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Hockey cages are more widely used than visors, it is a superior product, arguing for the mandatory use of an inferior product seems strange. If facial and eye protection is what people are arguing about (player safety) then why is it always visors? What type of protection is a visor? Protection against horizontal impact?

Also, the cost for cages are much lower, the protection is far superior. Either mandate proper facial protection or non at all, half assed gets you nowhere.

• twilighthours says:

How about this? Because it is a step along the, something better than we have now, and something that has a realistic chance of being adopted.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I suppose, I imagine the percentage of injuries in the entire NHL that a visor would prevent are very low in proportion of total injuries. I’m sure there are other areas that are a far greater concern than the few injuries visors would prevent on ‘visorless’ players.

• twilighthours says:

Few of which would be as devastating as losing an eye.

Do you still play? Do you wear a visor?

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Full cage.. sometimes nothing if its just a few guys renting the ice with no slappers!

• Cal says:

Ask Marc Staal.

• otter649 says:

Don’t know why Insurance Companies say Play with Visors or no insurance policies……

71. Loonie says:

I like the Bouillon signing, but the broad picture reminds me so much of Gainey/Gauthier in maintaining the status quo when an obvious, glaring, smack you in the face weakness is there.

Hopefully Bergevin adds a versatile top four guy who doesn’t watch opposing players grind their rear end into Price’s face.

I’m a much weaker man than Marc Bergevin. I would sacrifice a package to add a guy like Bogosian or even Byfuglien, this team is very close.

• Lafleurguy says:

Guess Beaulieu won’t be ready next year. Pacioretty was the one who pulled the “Is this seat taken?” with Enroth’s mask last night.

• Loonie says:

This isn’t about Beaulieu. It’s about Gorges, Markov and Diaz standing around and watching while opposing forwards get physical with our goalie.

• B says:

Are you saying that Bergevin is incompetent and can’t see the obvious? Also, where is that picture of the broad?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Loonie says:

No I’m not saying that. The broad picture is great depth but players out of their element in the top four(Gorges).

If this team doesn’t add a defenseman who doesn’t allow opposing players to screen and deflected pucks by Price it will fall.

• twilighthours says:

Tom, what up with cube? I don’t see him being the 7th d next year, and I see tinordi playing regularly, so what do you think will happen? Who will we deal?

• Loonie says:

Diaz or Gorges.

Or possibly Markov in the off-season. But dealing Markov or Gorges comes with consequences in the room in terms of morale.

Diaz is probably the likeliest to go.

• twilighthours says:

I agree. I’d rather it be gorges, to be honest. Never thought I’d write that. But Diaz can run the pp and I just don’t see it as viable that we play pK and Markov for the whole 2 minutes every time. I don’t think cube, Emelin, or tinordi will ever be capable of being effective on the pp.

So there’s the hole and the result of dealing Diaz.

• Loonie says:

It hurts to say because he’s such a great guy.

And I’d be fine with him being a #5 or #6 guy but we can’t rely on him to be a #4 as a contending team. He doesn’t move the puck well enough and isn’t effective enough physically.

• twilighthours says:

That was quite the visual.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Maybe MB is tooling up so he can make deals. Every contract on the team is reasonable (excluding Kaberle). The Habs have too many bodies (I know depth is never a bad thing) and it seems time to make moves that send out multiple smaller pieces for one big piece that is under contract.

I think the team should only go after high end players that fill the teams needs (which we all know is size and toughness). There are very few high end D with size, youth, are defensively sound, and a crease clearing ability, until that player is found the ‘status quo’ isn’t that bad.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Loonie, notwithstanding that I don’t agree on the need for a top 4 dman to “clear the crease” – mostly because I think the concept is not viable in today’s NHL and I disagree that Price is being run, can you provide a list of desired dmen for the commentariat to chew on?

I know you are a fan of Bogosian and Murray, but who else is on your list so that people can make assessments on what it would take to acquire said player?

For the record, my preference is a better PK dman who may or may not be the same person everyone is looking for.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Loonie says:

Price isn’t being run. He’s being crowded because we only have a couple of guys who can make that difficult.

Los Angeles Kings – Matt Greene, Rob Scuderi and Willie Mitchell
        Boston Bruins – Zdeno Chara, Andrew Ference and Dennis Seidenberg
        Chicago Blackhawks – Brent Seabrook, Nick Hjalmarsson
        Pittsburgh Penguins – Rob Scuderi, Brooks Orpik

That’s no coincidence.

• twilighthours says:

Don’t forget Johnny boychuck. He’d mug anyone in frnt of the net.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

You have no interest in ‘getting by’ until Tinordi and Beaulieu are developed?

• Loonie says:

I think this team needs only that model of defenseman to realistically have a shot at the Cup.

I wouldn’t mortgage the future. But Tinordi, Beaulieu and last year’s picks other than Thrower would be the only prospects off of the table.

Everyone else would be available to get this done.

• ed says:

does scuderi play for the Kings or the Pens or both!!

(just nigglin’ ya buddy)

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Again I disagree that Price is unable to see past players due to inadequte boxing out relative to other teams but I appreciate the list.

I know that the commentariat was high on Allen and Gleason as well.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Loonie says:

If you don’t think it’s happening have a look at the goals scored on Price recently and in previous playoffs when they’re the norm.

72. frontenac1 says:

The Cube is a good teacher for the Tornado.Next lesson”When to drop the Mitts” Saludos!