Boudreau is back

Boudreau
How did the Anaheim Ducks react to their 4-1 win over your Montreal Canadiens?
They fired their head coach.
Not a traditional way to celebrate …

Ducks can Carlyle, hire Boudreau

Pat Hickey’s game story

Facing Habs emotional for Koivu

HBO series 24/7 should be great TV

Forbes magazine evaluates NHL teams

USA Today power rankings

1. Le Jadester says:

How do you go 0-7 on the PP ?
    Its all on the Count.

Something has gotta give here ?
    I realize there isn’t much in terms of options.

Eff it than…….
    Bring back Carbo to finish the season until the right guy is found ?
    He’s still on the payroll and this is a new group of guys that might respond differently than that of Koivu and Kovalev’s bunch ?
    Who knows, mabey he learned from his mistakes and watching from the press booth ?

I don’t know, but anything is better than JM
    Its gettin’ outta control ?

Habs, OLE !

2. likehoy says:

we should hire pierre mcguire as head coach…

only to fire him after we’ve successfully obtained the 1st overall pick

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

3. gotta change the lineup for tonight….bench cammy…..he lost his polish some time ago…no grit or desire. If my PP was dismal…put the third line on…change the method….call for a timeout…give the bench hell….try it again. Even Leblanc would give a better effort on the PP – instead someone like Darche gets prime minutes….go figure. Subban didn’t rush last night, where he usually does at least once in a game….where is the grit? desire? we caved after the ineffective three powerplay opportunities that went nowhere….the team is not healthy (a fish rots from the head usually) How many embarrassing losses before another assistant coaches is given a pink slip or a front desk job within the organization? What happened to firewagon hockey..? Too many passive comment and excuses.

4. Mattyleg says:

I’m going to bring up something here that I think a lot of people are missing with regards to the language issue.

The Montreal Canadiens is a cultural institution. It has been ever since the beginning of the team, and will continue to be. For many many years, playing hockey was one of the only ways for French-Canadians to escape the Anglo exploitation on the factory floor and in the service industry. The CH was an emblem of pride for the French-Canadians, representing the only public forum in which they had any kind of ‘voice’. The Habs made up, and still makes up, a strong part of French-Canadian identity.

It’s only recently that we’ve heard hockey referred to as a ‘business’ and fans denigrated to the role of ‘markets’. The NHL is a corporation, and, like any corporation, pursues its own primary self-interest of making money above all else. By the NHL standard, a successful team is one that makes more money than the others. The fans, obviously, have other standards.

By buying into the NHL concept that hockey is a business, we as fans are losing track of what cultural role hockey plays for us as Canadians, and as Montrealers. The ‘open market’ on players took away the skilled Quebecers from Montreal, and the cultural identity of the CH began to diminish. As that cultural identity faded, so did the team’s success. One of the last vestiges of the cultural identity that the Montreal Canadiens has is a coach who can speak to the majority of the population in their own language.

I’m not supporting this position or condemning it, I’m just asking you to consider the wider concept of what the CH means to the population of Montreal and Quebec, and whose ‘language’ you are speaking when you talk about ‘deserving’ results from ‘investing’ support.

Is it Bettman’s? Or The Rocket’s?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

I tried to make a similar point yesterday. I agree completely that the Habs are and have always been more than a hockey team.

(I compared us to FC Barcelona who similarly view themselves as a member of the local culture.)

But the other implied notion that I disagree with is that there is a coach out there who can magically turn the team into cup winners. I don’t think coaching is like brain surgery. Actually even brain surgery isn’t that hard.

• mdp2011 says:

Don’t take this the wrong way because I always like your posts, but sorry, not buying this one, “…Montreal Canadiens has is a coach who can speak to the majority of the population in their own language”
      Question, when was the last time you spoke to JM or any other Habs coach for that matter? Also, considering the fact that the Habs last 2 coaches biggest issues was communicating with the players, I don’t think language should be taken into account.

Also disagree with this statment “The ‘open market’ on players took away the skilled Quebecers from Montreal” I think this has more to do with the crumbling Quebec minor hockey system and the fact that Quebec is not producing nearly the amount of players it once did. Also, the fact that many of the skilled Quebec players refuse to play here because of all the intense media and fan pressure they would be under.

• Bripro says:

I have to disagree with you on your assessment of the open market.
        Matty is right when he says that there is a reduction in Quebec-based players within the CH organization.
        But I think that has more to do with global reach than the ” the crumbling Quebec minor hockey system and the fact that Quebec is not producing nearly the amount of players it once did”.
        I don’t agree with that. There are still a number of great and very skilled players in Quebec in the Junior ranks.
        But they’re better exposed than say, twenty years ago.
        There is no question that there is a cultural implication when you talk about the Montreal Canadians.
        If you follow local hockey-based promotions and fund-raising for amateur sport, you can’t mention one with involving the CH at some point. This is the extent of their influence in local society.
        It always has been.
        Do we need an bilingual coach? Absolutely not. A good english coach (see Scotty Bowman) who can turn this team around will be embraced.
        But there is no question that a predominantly french society would consider its interests well-served by having an ambassador who speaks their language.
        The Habs mean a great deal to a great many societies, not just in Montreal. Just their out-of-town games will demonstrate that by the number of red jerseys in the crowds, regardless of where they go.
        But we do live in a society where politics and sport sometimes overlap.
        Just look at Quebec City’s push for a new NHL team.
        They’ve got the provincial gov’t involved with our tax dollars.
        There will never be an easy solution to the language debate and any vocal insistence of such can get a guy into hot water here.
        That is not a debate for the weak of heart.
        I’ll give you an example. Last year, a regular on the french post-game show on RDS called “L’Antichambre” had a french separatist, Alain Chantelois. More of a separatist on either side of the language debate will be hard to find.
        He kept venting about the lack of francophones as players and within the organization.
        I emailed them to give them a heads-up that the english community actively listens to them also. I haven’t seen him since.
        My point is the language debate is less of an issue than it was in the 70s, but out of respect, a tinge of french icing is still a requirement.
        And I don’t have any qualms about that at all.

• Bill says:

Nice try from a good poster, and with good intentions that are obvious and commendable. Your argument, however, which I completely disagree with, is soft.

First, to address the false dichotomy you present at the end, that fans are either on the side of Bettman or the Rocket. Obviously simplistic and false as there are plenty of shades of grey between your black and white: but that’s not the worst part. No, the worst is how you equate the fans who want the team to ignore language and hire the best candidates as “Bettman fans” while those who agree with restricting coaching and managerial positions to bilingual/Francophone candidates get to be”Rocket fans”.

What about me and the other fans like me? I deplore Bettman and think of him as little as possible. At the same time, I believe that the time for basing the running of the Montreal Canadiens on exclusionary language politics is past. So what, I’m a “Bettman fan”?

You can wax poetic about the “meaning of the CH to the Francophone community” all you want. Fact is, the CH means a lot to a lot of other people – including the communities of Anglophones in Montreal – as well. Most of all, that’s just a terrible argument for maintaining a racist status quo. I’m sure there are lots of American football and baseball teams that used to represent white communities too. I doubt you’d be as eager to argue that the coach of the Alabama Crimson Tide should always be a white guy because of what that team means to its community.

When I say I want the Habs to be a competitive, winning team worthy of its tradition of excellence – a tradition of excellence that includes both French and English players and coaches – that is NOT the language of Bettman.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• punkster says:

Thoughtful post Matty. The constant tug of war between the “two camps” continues.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Also, What the hell is this?

I’ve been to Centennial Plaza. How exactly do you build a Condo tower on it?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

6. Shane1313 says:

I’m happy with the team.
    Some people here sound like they’re not?

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Let’s try having a rational exercise.

If the Habs clean house as some seem to wish, name your choices to fill in the ranks. Interim or Permanent as you prefer.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• TomNickle says:

Big Bird.

• Maksimir says:

Ditch coach & GM? Two names:

Rejean Houle & Mario Tremblay

Be careful what you wish for.

• Habsolutely says:

Me for head coach/GM

Seriousfan for head of scouting and drafting

Timo as head of public relations and fan apreciation.

Boones job will be to scout for ice girls to replace youppi.

• slychard says:

Saw a fast look of duck ice girls in the montage at the end of the game last night. Ouff. It made the night worthwhile. Dump Youppie and get some ice babes. Never liked the Youpper when he was an expos either.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Storm Man says:

Lowe as GM and Roy as Coach.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Who had heard of Mike Yeo or Dan Bylsma before they coached in the NHL?

We can name the usual 4-5 ex-coaches everyone has heard of. The next coach should probably be a young technocrat.

Actually, coaching is one area where the Habs were more proactive than other teams. We had a long history of hiring rookie coaches somewhat out of the blue – Therrien, Vignault and Julien (spits) come to mind.

• Storm Man says:

Hmmm guess you have not watched Edmonton play and how the team has drafted in the past 4 years… If you think Lowe has no say in who is drafted your doing too much 420.. The reson I picked Lowe is he is from Montreal so the french press would have some to bitch about but not if the GM does not speak french. If you can find me a better GM at this point post it. Don’t forget has to speak french.

• If he’s got to be francophone, it’s pretty thin…

Bob Hartley is coaching a Swiss team to a losing team — no thanks…

Sylvain Lefebvre is a former Hab who won a Cup with Colorado. They must have liked him there a lot, because he’s an assistant coach there now.

Benoit Allaire is a good goalie coach for the Rangers and did good things in Phoenix too.

Wow, not much of a list… Am I missing anyone?

8. boottspurr says:

Alright, two things. Number one: This team has the potential to be good. If we get our guys back from injury, think of this line-up:

1. Cole, Plekanec, Gionta.
    2. Cammalleri, Desharnais, Pacioretty.
    3. Kostitsyn, Eller, Leblanc.
    4. White, Nokelainen, Moen.

1. Markov, Emelin.
    2. Gorges, Gill.
    3. Subban, Spacek.

Maybe if they ditch Gomez, they could get someone actually worth ~4-5 mill and replace someone who doesn’t perform that well on any of these lines.

Anyways… there’s hope.

Thing #2: does everybody else here have that bar of options below everyone’s posts – edit, move, moderate etc? Or do I have moderator powers for some reason?

9. G-Man says:

Bring back Serge Savard as GM. Let him evaluate the team and go from there. Blowing the team up again makes little or no sense.

10. Storm Man says:

It’s time to clean house… Kevin Lowe for GM.

11. TomNickle says:

Larry Robinson would be perfect.

And it would probably pass with media and fans due to his success as a coach and tenure as a Hab.

12. HabFanSince72 says:

Pierre McGuire.

13. PrimeTime says:

You don’t fire a someone on a knee jerk emotional reaction…..or those that do are morons and in the real world open to lawsuits. However, you plan a strategy and do your due diligence to move forward. Cripes, Carlyle was fired after the teams only win in Nov?? GM’s must be Execs before a Fan. PG has likely started the process of who is best available. I’m sure G.Molson is asking “where are we at with this?” JM may last the season or be gone sooner. But I would think PG will have an answer for Molson pretty soon……or he will find himself out as well.

• avatar_58 says:

Knee jerk? So many how many more losses will it take? How many more failed power plays, idiotic line combos, benching players, etc will it take before JM is axed?

The reason JM hasn’t been fired is because there isn’t anyone to take his place. I would rather they suck this year and find the right man rather than just stick someone in his spot.

Course the “right man” was Muller they just missed the boat and fell into the ocean on that one….

• Mattyleg says:

Muller has yet to prove that he has the chops to be an NHL coach, and also, putting an assistant into a head-coaching position on the same team messes up dynamics. He’d have to change from being the good guy to the hard nut too quickly.
        It would have screwed things up.
        Ask McLean in NJ how it worked for him.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

14. HabFanSince72 says:

Someone asked below so I will answer here.

Sam Pollock and Scotty Bowman were/are Montreal natives who both spoke fluent French.

Toe Blake was part Franco-Ontarian and also fluent in French.

Bob Gainey was a unilingual Ontarian when he came to play for the Habs and he learned to speak French.

FYI.

15. Hockey Socks says:

Habs needed an offensive-minded coach. Years of old school defensive coaches has been a failure. Why would replacing one with another change anything? This team has been built for speed and creative offensive hockey for years now. This administration is way too conservative for the product on the ice.

French, English, Black and White, who gives a damb anymore, other than the bigots. If you think your group is special in this small world today, you will be left far behind.!

• Higman says:

I posted this earlier, but it seemed to get lost in the “older posts” section.

I don’t consider myself a bigot, but I do care about culture, Ian. So here’s what I was thinking:

Three teams in California: Sharks, Ducks, and Kings. Could someone living in California or who once lived in California provide me with some insight as to the regional differences between these teams, if there is any? And I don’t mean staff and players. I mean history and culture.

Here’s why I ask: there is a big difference between say the Habs, Leafs, and Bruins. Their histories and cultures are different and interesting.

Now, compare the Kings to the Habs, and there’s also a pronounced difference between their cultures. But comparing the Ducks to the Sharks, is there a difference culturally?

Ok, so here’s why I ask. Are the Habs more than just another US style hockey product? Or are they a representation of and contribution to a Canadian culture. Can that culture be represented if the French language requirement for a coach or other management be dropped and the culture still be represented. Does culture matter? If not, then why argue about Canadian vs US hockey teams?

Just curious to hear how people think about Culture and Sport.

———————
      When the tough gets going, the laughs start flowing. Like Price said, “Chill.”

17. TomNickle says:

This is ultimately very simple.

Either move the players who don’t want to play hard for this team out of town(Cammalleri), move the guy behind the bench out and replace him with somebody who doesn’t put Diaz and Weber on the ice at the same time or use Darche on the powerplay, or do both.

If that’s going to happen now. I have no problem with cleansing the team of Gomez, Cammalleri and Plekanec.

Keep Gionta and Gill around to mentor young players making the transition and build around a solid core, give them more responsibility and watch them grow. Ahem…..Blackhawks style.

18. habsfanincalgary says:

I need to sound off here and would love to get your feedback.

I’m as die-hard as a Habs Fan as they come; I’ve seen them in 1/2 of the NHL rinks, my son even did his first flight to see them in LA at the age of 5 weeks.

The current edition of the Habs is reminding me of the last edition of the Koivu-Kovy era before BG blew the team up. I have always taken the losses personally, but when they came to Calgary and lost 7-3 (only to go bowling the next night in Edmonton and get blown out again), but that was the breaking point. I subscribe to RDS and watch 95% of the game (my 2 year old as well), but last night was another straw that broke the camel’s back.

This organization is dysfunctional this year! Gamble on the Wiz in hopes of Markov coming back, and look where the PP is. This is the team who has thrived on the PP for the past several years. Injuries are a part of it. And to go out and pick up Campoli and the other person who got claimed is just not going to fix the problem!!!

ANA was struggling. They get a big win and then they fire the coach. MTL struggles, and JM (who I call the Penguin), continues to be employed. His defensive strategy drives me NUTS! Just how many times this year has the team scored more than 5 goals. Two seasons ago, they were shutout 11 times. Last year, it was pretty close! How many games have they played this year only to score 1 goal? or how many games have they lost due to sitting on their 1 or 2 goal lead heading into the third? THE SYSTEM NEEDS TO CHANGE!

The last time we had a 40-goal scorer was Brian Bellows in the Cup winning season. It seems every time the team trades someone, their careers flourish (John LeClair, Mark Recchi, Vinnie Damphousse, Patrick, Grabo, SK74, and some other lesser knows like the Brett Clark, Ron Hainsey, Francois Beauchemain). THE SYSTEM NEEDS TO CHANGE!

The team has lost far too much ground. In the land of 1 pt in the OTL, slow starts are very hard to recover from.

As highly respected as I think of BG, I can never understand his Marius Czerkawski and Gomez signings.

I sense there is no sense of panic within the team. Price was livid after Saturday’s loss. If Burns was behind the bench, the entire Bell Centre would have heard what he thought of the non-call. What did the Penguin do???

The current edition:

Lars Eller reminds me of Patrick Poulin when he first arrived: a few good games and the fans loved him. Eller needs far more development!
    Last night’s fourth line members have been ineffective all season.
    PK needs further coaching. Something the current staff is not providing. (his windup is WAAAY to big–goalies are starting to get enough time to get into position).
    I was a big AK27 fan, and after Cammy’s first two season, I thought he was an upgrade on AK, having no flash but lots of finish. Something is wrong with Cammy.

Something is wrong with the team.

I would love to hear your feedback.

– A DEJECTED HABSFAN IN CALGARY

• Ian Cobb says:

You have covered most my friend. Just as in life or business, it is all about proper management and development.! We do have the players to make a noise as they get better game by game. But only when one knows how to mold them into a productive team.

19. Danno says:

Hey, hey! Ho, ho!
    Jacques Martin has got to go.
    Hey, hey! Ho, ho!
    Jacques Martin has got to go.
    Hey, hey! Ho, ho!
    Jacques Martin has got to go.
    Hey, hey! Ho, ho!
    Jacques Martin has got to go…..

It’s easier to fire one guy than to fire 22.

Hit the road Jacques.
    And don’t you come back no more.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

20. HabFanSince72 says:

What I would like to see is a coach who believes in run and gun hockey (are there any these days?).

We actually have 2/3 of the requirements for this: a potential for three good attacking lines and a great keeper. We lack perhaps the most important requirement, fast offensively minded defenders.

It’s not that we haven’t won the cup under JM, the hockey’s been dull.

• TomNickle says:

I actually disagree with your assessment of our defensemen. Diaz and Weber, if they’re going to be used at all, would be better used in a run and gun style where they are attacking(their strength) instead of always defending(their weakness).

• shiram says:

Boudreau let em run and gun…
      But yeah, there is potential in the Habs rank, it’s just not gonna happen now, and it won’t if the right moves are not made.

• Bripro says:

Dump and chase. That’s all they do. Correction. That’s all they’re instructed to do. Except they dump and change.
      Not even a forward to apply pressure in the other team’s zone while the rest of the line changes.
      Their PP is same. Very predictable. No umph!
      I can’t stand JM’s type of coaching.
      Now Muller is gone, Pearn the scape goat can’t be blamed anymore.
      Yesterday, I wanted JM fired and replaced by Boudreau.
      That can’t happen today. Bring back Carbo!

21. DorvalTony says:

Carbonneau was fired after a win too.

——————————————————————-
    Break a nose get 3 games. Break a neck get 0 games. NHL = Nonsense Hockey League.

22. B915 says:

Maybe Doug Jarvis

23. mr_jmac says:

Watched the Leafs game last night prior to the Habs game and the one thing that stood out in my mind was how many more times Montreal intentionally gives the puck away and avoids offensive rushes.

Time after time Montreal would dump the puck in in order to make a line change and essentially give the puck away without any decent forecheck.

Time after time one lone Montreal forward would end up on a rush while his linemates went off to change.

I noticed this hardly ever happened in the Leafs vs Bruins game.

I’m not Scotty Bowman but what the hell? Is there not a better way to make line changes while not giving up the puck???

• HabFanSince72 says:

Rule number one for JM: defend.

In fairness that’s why Gainey got him, remember? He was the calm steady guy whose system would protect Price and allow him to flourish. In fact, maybe that bit worked out OK.

24. J_P says:

Other than the fact that he backchecks hard, he is completely useless.

• likehoy says:

completely useless? I’ve never seen a more useless player be so useful in HIO posts.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

25. Kingofswing74 says:

been a martin supporter all this time, but last night was my tipping point. seems to me he’s lost the room. i don’t see evidence of “the system” on the ice at all any more. who else would love to see Paul Maurice behind the bench?

• habsfanincalgary says:

sorry kingsofswing74! too much leafs stench with that selection! :(

• Jim Edson says:

Might be relief from the Ottawa stench that exists now!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Barak Obama or Gary Bettman.

26. This is a not-so-good team with a fairly good roster, and the biggest problem — though not the only one — is the strategy set out before the puck even hits the ice. Martin isn’t getting the most out of proven veteran scorers like Cammalleri and Gionta, his PP strategy and player selection is rubbish, and his managing of players’ minutes is nonsensical.

This isn’t a Stanley Cup roster, but it’s a playoff roster, and coaching is a big part of the reason it’s not performing like one. But you don’t always have to a fire an underperfoming employee — ideally you can get him to improve his performance with a good talk. Someone — Gauthier, Gainey, someone prominent in the organization — needs to have that talk with him, and now.

27. The Cat says:

What a class act Eric Cole is; flipping the bill for Leblanc’s parents to be in attendance.

28. DorvalTony says:

Blues 2, Capitals 1. Jaroslav Halak does it again. And Matt D’Agostini first star. D’Ago’s also the ‘star’ of the blues.nhl.com website front page. http://blues.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2011020347&navid=DL|STL|home

——————————————————————-

29. Higman says:

Just curious to hear how people think about Culture and Sport.

———————
    When the tough gets going, the laughs start flowing. Like Price said, “Chill.”

30. volcano62 says:

Unless Martin is gone by christmas…consider this season wasted and over.

That is all.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Or maybe we get Yakupov AND Martin goes next summer.

The old Win-Win.

• Furk says:

Even if the Habs start playing better, I doubt they will make the playoffs. A lot of teams in the Eastern Conference have improved, the Habs will fight for a playoff spot but in my mind they’ll come up short.

If they end up in 9th or 10th place, there’s no point in even fighting for the playoffs. I say they tank enough to end up with a decent draft pick. They should draft a player that can make the jump to the NHL immediately and have an impact. Cammalleri has proven his worth in the playoffs that many contenders with that one missing piece will ask for his services, Gionta can also be traded for picks or a young stud. All we need to do after that is bury Gomez’s contract in the minors next year.

After that, we build the team around Patches, Subban and Price. You keep veterans like Cole, Plecks, Markov and Gorges for leadership. With all the extra cap space we can sign Price and Subban to long term contracts. In the off-season we can pick up real “enforcers”. If we can suffer this season, and make the right moves (Fire Martin), we can be right back in the middle of the pack with a much improved team

31. Hockey Bob says:

Look it up, last night I posted the Canadiens are exactly the medicine that Anaheim needed and I called for a 4-1 win Anaheim.

Like I said the Canadiens are decaying from the inside out and it seems nobody gives a damn.

If Darche is on your team and playing more minutes on the PP that an Eller your team is in trouble, want excitement folks watch the Leafs.
    Darche is an AHL’er.

• Kooch7800 says:

No offense Bob, but Eller isn’t exactly lighting the lamp on fire. He is on pace for 23 points this season. He doesn’t sound like the answer to the PP to me

• J_P says:

Eller also isnt getting good minutes consistently to find any sort of rhythm.

Martin prefers desharnais and darche for some stupid reason. Im pretty sure that if you put Eller between patches and Cole he’ll be just as good, if not better than desharnais.

• Kooch7800 says:

For the record, Eller is averaging 14:03 min per game and DD is averaging 16:59. DD is 5th on the team in scoring with 13 points (not lighting the world on fire).

Ak is averaging 14:13 and has 10 points in 15 games. Eller has 7 in 23 games
          Moen is averaging 14:47 and has 8 goals and 2 assits in 25 games.
          Darche on the other had gets 10 min per game

You have to make the most of your minutes.

Moen, Cole and max P, Jorges have been the best players for the habs this season

• mdp2011 says:

you maybe righ that Eller may not be the answer, but who has more offensive potential? A 21 yr old prospect who has scored at other levels, or a 34 yr old journey man who only got to the NHL 2 yrs ago? I would rather give Eller the experience on the PP to continue his development, than to put a 34 yr old with hands of stone on the power play, who btw, only has 1 point this year.

• Kooch7800 says:

DD scored with the same amount of minutes as Eller is getting last year and was leading our team after the all star break. I don’t see Eller doing that. He was given time on the top two lines this season and shows signs of offense but they usually come in small bursts. He gives great effort night in and night out and I do like the kid but he is not the offensive player everyone seems to think he is.
          Darche has not been great on the PP I will agree but I don’t think Eller is the solution either. PK Subban needs to be taken off the PP and rested. He is playing way too much and is suffering the Jinx this year. Use Emelin in his place and he doesn’t have such an insane wind up for a slap shot.

I think the Coaching of the PP is the biggest problem. The Habs miss Muller big time

32. montreal ace says:

Molsons does not have much choice but to go with the management team that BG assembled, as we are already paying too many people to do nothing. This is the season we go with what we have, as the revenue from a playoff series, would not cover all the changes people want. I think Molson was serious when he said he wanted to be more involved in the team, and I believe that to mean contracts and trades. The clause that JM has that he receives money for being fired is way over the top, in its generosity. I like BG but it seems he was not Scrooge like when it came to paying his management team. I am starting to think PG has a clause that if he is fired he owns the team lol.

• J_P says:

Gainey was the complete opposite of scrooge after the great purge. Not only taking a horrendous contract off the rangers hands, but giving them a solid asset as well. Giving Cammy $30 million over five years, and Gionta $25 million over 5 years. He was as generous as they come.

• montreal ace says:

The funny part is I still like Gainey, but I will always wonder why he spent that free agent money like a kid in a candy store. I remember thinking that we had a chance to really change the club in some great ways, and then poof the money was gone. I had always thought of Gainey as a frugal man, as I had met him at a wholesale smokemeat deli once, and the owners son told me he liked the prices. The Habs cant just write off Gionta and Gomez, the team should find them a rugged winger with some scoring touch who can stand in front of the net and create havoc.

33. Mattyleg says:

Mornin’ all.
    That was pretty painful last night.
    First game I actually turned off this season.
    Missed their 4th. Was it pretty?

Who do you reckon is in charge of the powerplay, and what exactly do you think needs to change?

In my opinion, we seem to be playing two on the line and three around the goal-mouth looking for rebounds. Over and over again. Instead, we should be playing a wider game, pulling the D to the boards and feeding into the centre.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

I was thinking last night about the PP, and noticed Gio was planting himself in front of Hiller.
      While it is great to have someone in front of the net with the hands for deflection, it seems to me Gio is one of our speediest forwards, and his speed could help cycle the puck and make the opposite D move around, creating space.
      Does that make sense?

Speaking french does not help in playing hockey

• GrimJim says:

It seemed to me that the biggest problem with the PP was getting it into the attacking zone. They lost all the retrievals in the corners, usually the Habs weren’t even the first players in there by a wide margin, giving Anaheim the chance to clear.
        What you say makes sense as well but we would still need a net presence of some sort and GIO is one of the few that seems effective in that role.

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, plus the fact that as I’ve said before, most goalies can see over Gio’s head from their knees.
          I agree that Gio’s puck control could be better used elsewhere. Max is probably the best person to have in front of the net, and that’s probably why JM keeps putting Darche out.
          I’d like to see AK in front. He’s strong, and he’s got good reflexes.
          Has he even been on the PP?

Jim, I agree that that stupid dump-and-chase is not working. They need a different approach, for sure.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

34. likehoy says:

would anyone be interested in a roy-carbo co-coaches duo?

Roy can be the motivator, carbo can be the brain of the operation

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

Martin still not canned? Drats!

36. arcosenate says:

I know this is going to be derided like 9/11 conspiracies but why not Patrick Roy? He has the pride and the drive to at least get everything out of his players every night, and it sure would be exciting….

37. Castor says:

How can anyone say this is a mediocre team? This is a great team. This team has a whole bunch of potential 25+ goal scorers.

Cole
    Pax
    Plex
    AK
    Cammy
    Gio

They have one of the best goalies in the league

They have PK Subban, Josh Georges and (soon) Andre Markov

What they DON’T HAVE is a coach who knows how to use them or inspire them. It’s hard to play with heart when you feel like you’re not given the chance to play to your strengths. There’s a reason Cammy gets worse as the seasons go by and PK is struggling…

JM really REALLY has to go

• habbernack says:

Yup…agreed

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
      attitude determines how you do it

• RGM says:

Coaching plays a part, sure. But Martin can’t coach Cammalleri to hit the net from 20 feet out when he has time and space to shoot. I count at least 2-3 quality opportunities Cammalleri had last night, and he missed the net on all of them.

Potential is a great thing, but the players have to start executing. The coach has to start getting them motivated to play a hard 60 minutes every night.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
      RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

• adamkennelly says:

good post….and I agree in principal but the problem surprisingly enough is the support infrastructure in addition to coaching…this team needs size and it needs grit…needs to be able to create room for these guys to succeed…too hard for the smaller guys to go to the areas they need to score goals…just watch em out there against F and D with size…you can’t have Dd and Cammy out there at the same time – its a freakin joke….

• LA Loyalist says:

I will file a report from last night’s game at about 8:30 am LA time, but I just want to say that last night’s game was utterly there for the taking. Ducks came out tentative, we scored first….

It was lost by Habs twice, in the first period, with a one goal lead, they wasted 3 power plays in a row — then of course the Ducks scored and found their legs.

Later, in the 3rd period, again on the power play, Hagman had the puck in OUR end, and managed, by himself, to tie up 3 Habs with himself in the corner – knocking about 10 seconds off the clock – again, he did this against THREE Habs by himself.

Pathetic.

Yes we had some bad luck, PK stepped on a broken stick behind the net and fell, which created a scoring chance for Ducks and they buried it. But he also took a very bad penalty late in the 3rd, tripping Selanne.

Moen is an idiot, again in the 3rd, cross-checking Koivu away from the play – and in front of the ref.

Full report later, I have to calm down and get my kid to school.

At least the Ducks had the stones to fire their coach after a win. Gotta like that.

• Barts says:

I don’t think the team is mediocre, other than maybe most of the d-corps, and there’s a serious lack of leadership. I think the coaching is mediocre.

38. novahab says:

Make the Dam call.

39. novahab says:

Hello Mr. Roy we need a coach.

40. Habfan4lfe says:

All I know is there is zero point watching the game tonight. 10:30pm. Dream on, I got better things to do than watch this brain dead coach that nobody wants to play for.

Get some balls PG or GM and get rid of this bum and get someone who will produce. Roy is still available. And F the french language crap, we need someone who can coach even if he speaks Italian. I don’t care as long as he can talk to this 97% ENGLISH team.

41. shiram says:

How could they win, when based Diaz is playing over 20 minutes, second only to Gorges?
    On another note, Hal Gill’s PK breakdance is amusing, and has shown good results.
    DD was 40% on draw, and mostly invisible the rest of the game, or you know just being shoved around.
    Noki and Eller at an even 50% on the draw, Pleks at 44%.

Someone do something!

42. SeriousFan09 says:

Unless Molson comes out and says “Screw the French Requirement” any replacement is not going to help us we should remember, it’s going to be a short-sighted choice made because this team lets itself be paralyzed by petty language politics.

Molson bought the team, if he is serious about doing everything possible for them to be a Contender he has to be willing to do more than suffer the Laraque buyout. Take the heat for axing the French requirement, demote Gomez and if it is the case by the deadline, let PG sell assets and stock up in the ’12 draft.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• HabFanSince72 says:

Yeah that’s why we’re losing – language politics.

• shiram says:

Picking only french coach is a self imposed limitation, and it makes as much sense as hiring only blond forwards, and redhead goalies.

Speaking french does not help in playing hockey

• HabFanSince72 says:

The only flaw in the logic is that this is not a new policy. In fact the Canadiens are less Francophone now than at any time in their history.

Say that Martin has lost the room if you will, but give me a break with the language politics bs.

• shiram says:

I was not talking about players, though I still feel the team should target the best players, what they speak not being an issue as long as they can properly communicate.

And the same applies to coaches, if you look only at the Francophone coaches, you limit the talent pool. I’d just rather have a great coach than a good Francophone one.

Speaking french does not help in playing hockey

• HabFanSince72 says:

I want to reiterate that the Habs’ lack of cups since 1993 has NOTHING to do with hiring French speaking coaches. Recall who coached the two teams in game 7 of the last cup final.

Blaming our team’s current slump on the “French language requirement” is irrational and demonstrably false.

Similarly the idea that there is a genius coach out there that could turn this pig’s ear into a silk purse is probably a fantasy.

• shiram says:

All you are talking about has nothing to do with what I just said. All I’m saying is that limiting possible candidates for any position based solely on being Francophone is an hinderance.

• SeriousFan09 says:

The language policy is outdated. Better coachs and General Managers could have been hired at any point since Savard and Demers were fired that spoke only English. Better GMs may have made better decisions, better coachs may not have driven off players or mishandled their development.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• HabFanSince72 says:

OK I must have missed the point. We were talking about the Habs current problems, and several of you mentioned the French requirement. I naturally assumed you were making a cause and effect observation. I guess it was just a non-sequitur then.

• Habitall says:

I agree with you, generally, and as I’ve said before would be happy if the Habs had a half dozen french-speaking players. But it should not apply to the positions of GM, coach or even goalie. Look at the great teams of the past: Yes, there were really good French GMs (S. Savard) and goalies (Roy, Plante) and a few high-quality coaches (note the 2011 Stanley Cup final, coached by two ex-Hab coaches). But during the glory years, the majority of greats in those 3 positions were not held by French players — do I have to cite names?

Point is, I really question whether Martin was the best Gainey could come up with after he blew up the team 2 years ago. He brought in speedsters — including a bona fide sniper in Cammy — and hired a defensive specialist. Was there no one better available — or persuadable — at the time besides Martin? And if so, what other than language got Martin the job. (Admittedely he’s had some success as a coach, it’s not an easy job, but I thought the team wanted more than that.)

The French language requirement has only existed since the mid-80s, after Bob Berry left. Since then it’s been ALL French coaches (I’m including Burns in that category), only some of whom have been good to great. I’d give high ratings to Burns, Demers, Vigneault and Julien. I suppose you’d have to include Lemaire in that class, post Berry, but he was better with the Devils than with the Habs.

Then you have Tremblay, Therrien, Carbo, and now … Martin? I don’t hate the guy, but he’s just not a good fit for this team. And while there are good French coaches, they’re mostly already coaching!

In any case, if you can Martin, let Cunneyworth take over and re-evaluate come off-season. I love Roy as a player, but there’s not much reason to think he’d be a good coach at this level.

• shiram says:

It just seems like such an obosolete requirement to have, especially when you consider that most of our players are not francophone, why is it so important to have a Francophone coach?
            It’s not the reason the Habs lost night, but it’s not something that helps in any way, shape or form either.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Not the only reason Habs have trouble but it’s set them back for many years. Not pursuing qualified candidates because of a ridiculous need to appease people with a policy that has nothing to do with winning hockey games.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• HFX-HabFan says:

It’s so true.

• HabFanSince72 says:

It’s not remotely the cause of our current problem, or of the lack of cups since 1993.

You’re like these guy who gets stuck in traffic or hits a pothole and blames the damn separatists.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Actually I’m the guy pointing out a ridiculous flaw in the organization.

You want to argue the best candidate to be the Head Coach or the General Manager has always been bilingual? Nonsense. The team should be taking interviews with all available candidates as the only yardstick you need to use in hiring front office personnel is can they make your team better.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• HFX-HabFan says:

Dryden nailed it thirty years ago:

“without the strength of the past, the team may face a choice- to win, or to be French-Canadian.”

I’m more interested in winning than having a coach who can appease half the media in the town by being able to answer questions in their language.

• 24 Cups says:

Robert – If the Habs are going to fire Martin, then Mr. Gauthier has to leave at the same time. It has to be a total house cleaning that would allow a new management team to set a new course. The Gainey/Gauthier/Martin era of the past nine years would have to be totally removed so that a new leadership duo has a clean start. Anything less than that is just a band-aid that won’t stick.

So that means you need two new replacements who fulfill the “French Requirement”. Lots of luck on that one.

Lemaire? Hartley? Crawford? It’s ironic that I just put my bluebox out at the curb for this week’s pick-up.

Roy? Send in the clowns.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Hence why the French Requirement needs the axe. Still don’t take large issue with Gauthier, I think the draft record and his player additions show he gets what the team has been lacking.

In that case though, I think wouldn’t mind as HH suggested, Timmins getting moved up. If it wasn’t for his finds in the draft the management group wouldn’t have a friend in the world really. Let him really get to work collecting youth to build up the team.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• Habitall says:

Agree with Robert here. There is no reason to clean house just because one coach is the wrong guy for this team. That’s reactionary thinking. Gauthier has been decent — maybe not great (giving up 2nd rounders for rentals he doesn’t make any attempt at re-signing would be my main gripe) — but decent. I like his cautious approach at the moment. You can’t keep starting over — over and over again.

Draftwise, I can discern a pattern in the last few years, starting in 2005. They’re building from the net out. Price is a stud. The last few years the top draft picks have been defensemen, and I think a lot of them look like they would be good NHL calibre players down the road, and all have good size (Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn, Dietz).

Next year, I see them targeting that big player up the middle, but if not available, they’ll go for the wing. Meanwhile, Gauthier addressed an organizational need in picking up Eller for a good-but-superfluous goaltender.

We’ve gotten bigger at the wings, wth Pacs and Cole. He took a gamble with Markov, but one that could really pay off (you don’t give up on pure talent like that without getting something back). He worked to get Emelin over here. The Bournival for O’Byrne trade will, I believe, work out for us in the long run.

Next year, I’d like to bid adieu to Spacek, Gill and Gomez. Keep only one of Weber-Diaz …

The key is to stay the course — draft well, get deep with young talent, then, when you’re in contention and need the “it” player to carry you over the top, you have trade material. But all this talk trading away real assets who have not yet entered their prime, plus a 1st for someone like Bobby Ryan? No thanks.

Gauthier is moving us in the right direction.

• chemic says:

Hartley? are you serious? because he has won a cup? wooow…..

trust me, this guy has even problem to get in to the playoffs in a 12team league where the best 8 goes into the postseason. he has a very nice squad but there are no signs of brilliance or sophisticated coaching at all.

• Ian Cobb says:

Steve, Both PG and his coaches will be done at the end of the year. Martin may go earlier, but that will only be because Geoff wants to see if there is something in Cunnyworth and Ladouceur.

• 365fan says:

Agreed. Were Sam Pollock and Frank Selke able to speak French (I really don’t know the answer to that). THey definitely were not Francophone and were able to ice winning teams that were known as the “Flying Frenchman”. I think Habs fans are smart enough and care enough about winning that they would accept the best person for the job. It is the talking heads that make the most noise and need to be ignored.

• rhino514 says:

The french issue is moot, no matter what one´s political view is.
      The only thing it does is limit potential candidates from from maybe a dozen to 3 or 4. But there are decent french-speaking coaches available at any point in time.
      An organization with history and tradition tends to draw people from within more often than other organizations anyway, for the simple reason that such individuals feel a bond to the team and understand the landscape and what hockey means to this city better than outsiders. And just about all such candidates will speak French. Even the anglos, like Robinson or Gainey, will have learned rudimentary French.
      Look at Demers, Burns, Vigneault, Julien, and Martin; they are all decent to great coaches. Therrien isn´t bad. Carbo isn´t as bad as some have made him out to be. So you can´t argue that we´ve had less qualified coaches over that time than other teams, in fact that list is probably MORE impressive than the majority of teams. Would there have been an english speaking candidate out there at one time who had better credentials? Possibly. But the differences are minute, and mitigated by the fact that the local candidate won´t see a coaching gig with the Habs the same as any other coaching gig. They will wear their heart on their sleeve, they coach with every bit of passion that is humanly possible. Because they realize the Habs are MORE than just a hockey club. Don´t discount the importance of that.
      The thing is, once in a blue moon, there will be an exception to the rule, whose name at present is Kirk Muller. Muller spent time in the organization as a player, captain, and assistant coach (though he wasn´t home-grown), is charismatic, understands the scene, AND doesn´t speak English. So you can see him as a coach here.
      But the first reason the Habs didn´t not hire Muller isn´t because he was English, it´s because they wanted to stick with Martin. How can we prove that? Simple, they could´ve hired Boucher, who is much beloved and also french canadian, and they didn´t.

43. RGM says:

Re-posting from previous thread, with additional thoughts:

It’s early but the numbers are not looking too good right now. The good folks at Sports Club Stats have the Habs pegged at a 33.8% chance of making the playoffs. Let’s lower the bar and say that 92 points would be sufficient this year – the Habs would need 30-31 wins over the course of the season and even then the 8th spot is not assured. Does this team have it in them to play .600 hockey for the last 4+ months of the season? Can they accumulate 68 points in the remaining calendar? I just don’t know.

As long as Carey Price is the #1 goalie on this team, they will always have a chance to win games. In 13 of his 21 games he’s allowed 2 or fewer goals. Unfortunately he’s lost 5 of those 13 games, meaning that in 40% of his losses the team in front of him manufactured 1 or fewer goals. It puts an incredible amount of stress on a goaltender to know that he cannot make a mistake because his team doesn’t have the offensive capabilities to get one right back. It’s going to make for a long season for our Vezina candidate if his GAA has to be below 1.00 to win games.

I love the Canadiens, I always have. But this current edition makes it very difficult to like them. There are a number of “good guys” on the team that you want to succeed and do well and produce and win. They’re being let down. The future, we are told, looks very bright. It’s the present that’s the problem.

—-
    Outside of Pacioretty, Plekanec, Cole, and the incredible offensive dynamo Moen, have any of the Canadiens forwards met or exceeded the expectations for them that you had going into this year? Beyond those four players, I can’t think of a player that is up to the level I expected from them. Gionta has contributed 7 goals, but is a brutal -6. Cammalleri is playing hurt, and it shows. Gomez…nobody thought he could be worse than last year.

From the back end, who would have predicted that after 25 games Josh Gorges would have identical offensive numbers to PK Subban? Only difference is that Josh is +9, tops on the team. PK seems mired in the dreaded sophomore slump, and his body language shows that he just isn’t the same force he was last year. Something isn’t right there.

It’s not too late to abandon hope to save this season. The stars will need to align and we may need a sacrificial ritual or two, but this team can come out of the funk and make it to the post-season. Will it matter? Who knows. I try to be an optimist, but it’s tough after losses like the one last night.
    ———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
    RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

44. savethepuck says:

I am a glass half full guy who has faith in this team, and I generally don’t freak out or over react to a regular season loss. Last night is a different story tho. The team played a great 13 minutes of hockey, then the Ducks took 3 minor penalties in a row, and our anemic power play $#its to bed again, giving the Ducks life and completely shifting the momentum of the hockey game. I’ve watched other nights this team has gone 0 for on the PP and not been upset because they were at least sustaining pressure and getting scoring chances. Last night’s PP effort was abysmal and made me regret staying up til past 1:30 AM to watch it ( I’m in Atlantic Canada). I will stay up again for the 11:30 PM start with my bleu blanc et rouge glasses on to watch the game tonight. I’m telling myself that the Habs play to their competition, and they’ll definitely have a better effort tonight. I’ll tell myself that this team over the last couple of years has always bounced back when everyone thought they were down and out. Gotta admit tho, it’s getting harder to keep telling myself these things.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

45. nick says:

Like I said yesterday morning…
    Montreal has an uncanny ability to make “garbage” teams look like allstars. Last night was no surprise, atleast not for me.

46. habbernack says:

Everything goes back to gainey…PG, JM Timmons and the entire staff behind the scenes. We need to clean house and get a completely fresh start.

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

47. Watching the first two periods, I noticed whnever they showed Carlyle or his staff, they seemed totally disinterested in what was going on.

In all likelihood the decision was already made before the puck had dropped, and they (Ducks and Carlyle) mutually agreed to just play out the game.

48. gj says:

How about an english GM and Coach?
    How much longer will this province care more about the language the staff speaks over the victory of a cup?!!

49. Neutral says:

a coaching change won’t help this team – you have to face facts – up front what do we have other than max-pac and kostitsyn and they’re trying to get rid of him – not a very good team – coaching change or no coaching change- we’re not going anywhere – lucky to be in 12th place – we don’t need a coaching change – we need player change better players that is – to many free loaders…..

50. HabFanSince72 says:

We can’t do anything about the coach, the GM or the players.

But we can be better fans. Come on folks. This is lame.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

What is lame? The team is sure playing lame (well that damn PP is).

As fans, people are getting frustrated. The Habs can’t beat teams they should, their PP is non-existent. Nothing is changing, what glimmers of hope is there in the near future?

The future? So how long, before the Habs are a contender? Do we wait until next year, again?

People are frustrated, the season is pretty much lost, look at what the Devils did last year, and that still was not enough to get to the dance.

Different system may work, whether JM will change his ways, or whether the change is someone else either than JM is up in the air, but until something changes, we will never know and will be stuck with this BELOW middle of the pack team.

• TommyB says:

I can’t be a better fan than what I am, and the same fan that I have been for 50 years. I absolutely love this team, but I find it hard to stomach what it has become. At the start of each game, no matter what crisis is going on, no matter how poorly they are playing, it’s a new game, and a new chance to get it going again. Nothing feels better than a Habs win. Which is exactly why it hurts so much to see them lose, and lose often. Sorry, HF72, no apologies here.

• chemic says:

i agree about this whole negativity on this side!

but cmon, three teams did show some serious balls this week and change something in hope to stop their mess while our team did scratch a bit on their p***y in hope an tsunami will break out who floates us into the top3.

i admit, i really tought this move will work but i seems as longer the season goes on this was just a pr-stunt to get everybody quit around because overall it seems it has no effect on the ice at all.

its just painful to watch this mess and i already wrecked one expensive pc-mouse this season because of this awful playing.

51. TommyB says:

Suggestion for today’s “Poll”……”Will you continue to stay up and watch this week’s late games?”

With tonight’s game starting even later, a crappy first period could send me under the covers early.

• shiram says:

That Gio, Pleks, AK46 goal was great though, they had fooled me into thinking they would win after that one, so I watched the whole debacle.

Randy for HC!

• TommyB says:

I know. Didn’t you think right there that it was going to be a fun night? One of those rare games where the Habs light it up? I was looking forward to that kind of game, even if it was vs one of the weakest teams in the league. It would have made staying up late worth it.

• shiram says:

I was sure they would take the momentum, and run away with it, the Ducks getting so many penalties in a row too, but killing all those penalties just swung it back to them.

Someone do something!

• Ian Cobb says:

I already know the outcome Tommy, so its a snuggle up early with the bride night.
      But I may just keep one eye open my friend. I will always hope and wish.

52. Armitagej says:

This team is just pathetic. The ineptitude is painfully obvious.
    The GM sucks, the coach sucks, the system sucks. All this, in turn, making the team suck.

Not a single ufa is going to want to sign here. I see Carey and Subban leaving at their first opportunity.

Something needs to change drastically. This season is rapidly going down the toilet. (If it hasnt already) As crap as I thought ottawa was going to be this year, they are better than us… making us the worst team in the division. The canadiens brass do not have the gusto to make a big move though, whether it be fire the coach, draft properly, make a trade or even put a few guys on waivers… or bury them in the AHL (Gomez and darche.. anyone??)

On top of all that, look at the list of guys we let go for nothing players and coaches: (All made huge contributions to our mediocre success in recent years, but left for absolutely nothing)
    Souray, streit, The wiz, kovalev, koivu, guy boucher, muller, hammer, MA bergeron, Domenic Moore, S. Kostitsyn, ribeiro.. (notice a trend here, why is our PP s**t now?)
    I am sure I’m missing some too, but we got S**T all for all those guys. That’s a huge fumble as far as I’m concerned. We need a culture change with this team. Since when did just making the playoffs become the main goal? What happened to we want to win the stanley cup? That’s the mentality that’s hurting us.

I have to agree with boone here, at best we are a mediocre team, destined to be 8th or worse, and this season is rapidly going down the toilet…. Painful to watch.

53. RiverviewCanadien says:

No idea how to plug the whole that is sinking this ship. I still think this team has good players, but for the life of me, I just can’t see this team, this group, is worse than last year. How can that be?

Habs luck, they finish dead last in the standings, and when the lottery pick comes, Habs won’t get it.

Mean while, Boston will have won their 2nd Cup. I think I am going to be sick just imagining that, but really Boston is a very good team.

54. HabFanSince72 says:

I can’t say I spend much time watching other teams but Boudreau has not been impressive over the past couple of years with a very talented team. It’s clear that the successful NHL coaching model nowadays is the young technocrat, which he isn’t.

We think the Goat is bad but Anaheim GM Bob Murray is worse. He took over the Ducks after they won the cup, and they have gone from champions to bottom-dwellers in 4 years. FYI this Murray is no relative of the Murray who has achieved the same feat in Ottawa.

• TommyB says:

Totally agree, especially regarding Boudreau. You look at the team and talent he had….should have gotten to the final at least once during his time there.

55. Tharsis says:

Dear Abby,

Last night was the first time that I can remember that I did not watch a Montreal Canadiens game in its entirety. After the 3rd goal went in, I instinctively slammed my laptop and went about doing things that brought me enjoyment rather than frustration.

The fact is I have never been so frustrated with this organization as I am right now. From the owner all the way down to the players, there are very few people that seem to be performing up to expectations and that actually give a damn.

Do I continue to watch the games even though it brings me frustration (gotta support the team!) or do I take a hiatus and learn to enjoy the simpler things in life?

signed,
    Frustrated in South Bend.

56. kitbeyer says:

Molson has a plan folks!!

And yes this is relevant to the current thread about Boudreau (and other front office changes).

I saw a similar post on another thread but I think that what people don’t understand is that the Habs are already tanking…they are just doing a good enough job hiding it to fool even the fans who are calling for them to tank. Molson has a brilliant plan and hiring Boudreau would undermine the entire plan and might turn the ship around so that would have been a bad move.

I believe Molson’s plan is to allow PG and JM to flounder just below the playoff spot cutoff until near the trade deadline and then give them orders to fill the cupboards with prospects by dumping our dead weight for whatever we can get from teams who think guys like Cammy, Spacek, Gionta, etc. might be useful additions for a playoff run. If PG and JM won’t do it he will replace them with people who will (he’ll replace them both at the end of the season anyway). With the old “core” of the team gone it will be a free fall into a lottery pick and a fresh start.

Believe.

• Ali says:

I think his plan has more to do with counting his dollars and laughing at anyone who pays money to see a team where Scott Gomez (when healthy), Mathieu Darche and Josh Gorges are key players on the power play.

57. Say Ash says:

Didn’t Gainey fire Carbo after a win in Dallas?

58. Curtis O Habs says:

Carbo could coach this Kovalevless team.

59. J_P says:

Darren Dreger was saying on TSN990 this morning that apparently there is some sort of clause in JM’s contract that they owe him some giant payout if they fire him prior to contract ending. Well, there must be something to that story because I have no idea how JM continues to keep his job.

That was a completely uninspired effort last night, and the powerplay was an absolute joke. I can’t say its all JM’s fault. Cammy is actually the worst player this season. We want this guy to start sniping goals? The guy cant even hit the net.

Im inclined to say that maybe keeping MArtin is a good idea because at least if we continue to be this terrible, we may actually get a lottery pick. However, you know that this squad and Martin will be just good enough to sneak into the playoffs, or just barely miss out on them, giving us another middle of the pack first rounder, and no playoff hockey past the first round.

• shiram says:

RDS was saying last night that Muller got a 4 year contract, and that’s with no real HC experience, just imagine what JM could have gotten in his contract?
      Think it’s 2 million if he is fired… Oyoyoye!

Randy for HC!

• Adriaan Harsta says:

That may be the case but the worst thing about that, if true, is that we signed him to that contract! What kind of confident coach demands a firing bonus in his contract? Even worse, who agrees to it!?

Good Morning!
    I will just take my Mom’s advice until moves are made.
    “If you can not say anything nice, better to say nothing at all.”

61. stevieray says:

if we go 0-3 on this California swing I think JM’s days in the sunshine will be over. PG will HAVE to make a move ..should be interesting

62. TommyB says:

You know what would be a great idea for this site……a ticker that tells us when the next thread will start. You know, for those of you old enough to remember, like those intermission ads at the drive-in back in the day…..couple of little Peter Pucks holding little sticks and jumping over hot dogs! “The New Thread starts in 10 minutes……..”

63. smiler2729 says:

Jacques Martin is a very good coach, hell he keeps getting the Habs into the playoffs and some pretty entertaining ones to boot, but his shelf life with this bunch has probably expired.

How else can you explain this team’s performance? Yeah Goats may have given him nothing to work with on the grind lines (what the hell is a Nokalainen anyway?) and defence (oh yeah, Weber’s gonna blossom, sure, sure) but JM has always found ways to get his teams past the challenges.

Alas, mes amis, the sands have run out…

Sooooo…

C’mon Goats DO SOMETHING! Fire the coach or another assistant, make a freakin’ trade that addresses the shortcomings, or hey, fire yourself at least – hey, I know hire Perry Pearn as head coach, we’ve become a joke anyway (Ned Flanders on a goalie mask?)!

I really don’t care if Ted Nolan or Randy Carlyle or Randy Cunneyworth don’t speak french, they can freakin’ learn, !

Funny how Carlyle gets canned after a victory but I guess a win vs. Montreal is not really a win after all.

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

64. Bim says:

Well here we are again. 23rd place in the entire league and only…wait for it 9 points up on Columbus. Yea! What the hell was that last night? Totally uninspired 20 shot performance against a team that won only twice in November and had lost 7 straight before that. The Ducks looked like world beaters. Jacques Martin come on down. You’re the next coach leaving on the price is right! Hold on to your hats folks they play the Sharks tonight. If they play that way tonight they’ll get killed. Its embarasing! How long will it be before Canadiens make a coaching change? Not long I hope. PG wouldn’t happen to be on vacation in a sunny destination would he? oh and one last comment..where’s the 7 million dollar man?

65. Thomas says:

Hey guys, so is there a certain law that states the Habs only sign a dual language coach? All I hear is they can only sign a coach that is able to speak both French and English…If this isn’t a law, then surely it is up to the team. Is there any way somebody knows how to start a petition, either online, or otherwise that shows that us as fans do not care if the coach can speak French or not?

Having to hire a French speaking coach is such a handicap to us, as there are so few good coaches out there, let alone ones that can speak French. I don’t want this to be put out like I hate French people, thats the farthest from the truth I myself am French Canadian, but I just feel that if the organization knows that it doesn’t bother the fans, then when and if they do hire a non-French speaking coach they can show all the politicians, and detractors that this is what the fans wanted and ultimately we’re the ones who pay their bills…

I would just like them to hire the best possible man period, not the best possible man who is able to speak French.

About 50 photo’s have been added all together

Ian’s link to Summit pictures.

67. habsfan reduxit says:

… okay fans, after roughly one third of the season past, the grades are in:

Michael Cammalleri – C-
    Erik Cole – B+
    Mathieu Darche – D
    David Desharnais – C
    Lars Eller – B+
    Andreas Engqvist – DNP (did not play)
    Brian Gionta – A-
    Yannick Weber – F
    Peter Budaj – B-
    Carey Price – A-

PK – B+
    PP – F

Jacques Martin – D

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

68. Storm Man says:

I guess the Ducks owner cares about the playoffs… APB for Mr Molson….

69. 365fan says:

Boudreau’s wife better get a nice Christmas gift this year after this week.

70. CanadienBoy says:

Well not to many coaches left, we in trouble
    one guy still there with some experience that nobody trying but i like is Ted Nolan

71. stevieray says:

crazy times indeed place for head coaches. So last nite we lose to the 28th place team …did we even show up !.. …depressing morning !
    Can Ted Nolan speak french ??

72. Wow – happy for Boudreau, he must be thrilled.

73. habsfan reduxit says:

… I’m watching Gionta do good things which go unanswered, and Weber do … nothing at all.

74. Kooch7800 says:

Gionta has been terrible this year. He would get a D in my books.

75. Furk says:

76. TomNickle says:

You lost me with your first sentence. We have a nice compliment of bigger and smaller players.

Eller, Pacioretty, Cole, Kostitsyn, Moen, Emelin, Gill.

Desharnais, Gionta, Cammalleri, Weber, Diaz, Gomez.

Gorges, Subban, Plekanec are all around an average size.

Looks pretty balanced to me.

77. Chrisadiens says:

Ive been doing the same for days now. Refreshing twitter every 5 mins too.

If we lose the next 2, there is no way JM will still be the coach right? Molsons cannot be that stupid.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

78. TomNickle says:

If they’re guilty of anything it’s trying to put together a team too focused on post-lockout strengths. Speed and a lack of size from important positions. The additions of Eller, Cole and Pacioretty are a step in the right direction but they(management) were convinced that the officiating would be consistent. Big mistake.

That said, Lemaire would be a terrible hire as a GM.

Timmins is great in his role. Keep him in it.

I’m fine with Serge Savard as GM and somebody willing to put an exciting brand of hockey on the ice as a coach.

HH – This is your worst post of the year so far.

What happened to tanking? At least that made some sense for those who are so inclined.

80. Mattyleg says:

Do you think that Roy would be stable enough to be GM?
    I can see him making plenty of enemies amongst other GMs with his egotism.
    I also don’t think he’s interested in being GM before he’s a coach.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

81. LA Loyalist says:

I used to order the petit filet mignon hamburger at Luxe, wrapped in pancetta on an English muffin, with the frites mayonaisse and a couple of cold Becks. Just sitting at the bar… man I miss that.

Yes, Business was wild, and Taxi… Vol de Nuit on Prince Arthur, or maybe that was the late 70s, geez it all kind of melts together…

Man, I miss the girls in Montreal, and Beauty’s, with the faux coffee stain on the menu… Bifteck St. Laurent, that weird grocery store on St. Laurent – (Warshaw?) where we used to buy live lobsters… and our hockey team was good and exciting…

Sigh…

82. Mattyleg says:

Warshaw’s is gone, my friend.
    It’s now a gigantic Pharmaprix.
    There are still some vestiges of the old haunts, but fewer and fewer every year.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

83. Danno says:

I loved Warshaw’s. You never knew what you might find there.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Matttyleg – I’m not sure if that reply was for me or HH but I’ll answer it.

Larry Robinson would be a great assistant coach. He gave up being a head coach due to the pressure. Fail enough. But he could be a perfect point man for any other head coach without being a threat. Alas, it appears the organization has dumped on Robinson one too many times.

Lemaire has let it been known that he doesn’t want to coach in Montreal. As for being GM, that makes no sense. He has zero experience.

Speaking of zeros, Roy has absolutely no experience at the professional level. There are at least a dozen good reasons why he should never coach and/or GM the team but the main one is that he hasn’t paid his dues. He would get eaten alive by other coaches and GMs in the league. I get that he’s a folk hero for some and that he speaks French, but those are the only qualifications he really has.

85. TomNickle says:

Sorry to chime in here Steve but I had to. I believe Roy has enough experience, knowledge and charisma to be an NHL coach. If he were even remotely well tempered I would be on board with it.

The chances that he completely embarasses the organization are greater than him leading it to success.

86. Mattyleg says:

I agree with both of you.
    And I love the idea of bringing Larry in as Assistant.
    That would be fantastic.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Tom – I’m getting fatigued with all this Hab crap so far this season. Otherwise, I would sit down and take the time to state all the reasons why I don’t think Roy would work out. I’m sure there would be a great initial honeymoon, bu then reality would rear it’s ugly head.

88. G-Man says:

So, HH, how can it be that you are not a GM in the NHL? Ok, maybe a minor league team? No?
    It isn’t as easy as you post. Sheesh!

89. bellcentre hotdog says:

I think what you’re talking about HH is the need for a 5 year plan?

90. likehoy says:

should have gotten Dave Tallon to rebuild our team.. can we pry another guy out of Florida?

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

91. The Cat says:

Maybe so. I think the habs hockey philosophy is the problem -Great goaltending and a good PP is ALL that matters…I guess its kinda like the Cuba embargo position irregardless of who is President of the US, so it is with whoever is the habs coach.

Watched it yes. And 3rd period Boston dominated them. Entertaining was not my issue, quality of play versus Bruins was my point. Toronto may be a better team this year than the Habs, but we still play the Bruins tougher.

Roy’s experience as GM of a hicktown team is not relevant. It’s his pet project. Not much different than running a golf course.

What would I do? Stay the course until the summer. What happens, happens. Be a seller at the trade deadline.

Sound and I could stand behind that with confidence.