Boucher weighing his options

Guy Boucher is still the coach of the Hamilton Bulldogs.

The 38-year-old McGill grad has been mentioned as a candidate for the vacant head coaching position in Columbus. He would not say whether he has been interviewed for the Blue Jackets’ job.

Boucher met the media today at the Canadiens’ development camp in Brossard, and Pat Hickey was there to hear the 38-year-old coach talk about his future (Boucher’s, not Hickey’s).

Guy Boucher audio

1. SmartDog says:

Intersting idea. I’ve stopped believing that we need to keep Andrei K.  I don’t think he fits the team and may be a lifetime struggler – 50 poitns a year.  But I could see him catchign fire in just the right situation.  Playing with someone like Syd might be that.   Like a lot of guys I think he has the core talent but can’t put it together.  Syd’s work ethic and ‘can do’ drive rub off on the guys who play with him I think.  At least for awhile….. Andrei is actually (or can be) quite tough.  I think he’d like the no-prisoners stle over the pass-and-wait style the Habs play.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

2. projectpete19 says:

TSN is reporting that Captain Kirk Muller is being considered for the head coaching job in NJ. we might lose two good coaches

3. punkster says:

I’m feeling frisky today, soooo…..

“…considering how good he is at 20, the sky’s the limit for this kid.”

Does the name Price ring a bell here?

Crosby is a household name, an unquestionable superstar with the credentials and history to back it up. He once had tons of that dreaded word “potential” and he worked hard and has lived up to it. Doughty is a 20 year old kid with a relatively short (but good) resume and tons of “potential”. See the difference?

No knock on Doughty, or Subban, or any other kid with potential. Let’s give them a few years to establish and prove themselves before annointing them.

FREE TIMO!

4. notbigbird says:

I think we’ve got to hang onto this guy somehow. If it means moving him up earlier than anticipated and also moving JM upstairs so be it. He could be the real deal, and you can’t assume that he’ll fail somewhere else and be available to us in 3 years. That doesn’t make any sense as he could just as well have great success wherever he goes and become an institution. I have a feeling that he’ll be willing to stay in Hamilton for another year though, especially if the right words are whispered into his ear.

5. Ayan_SB says:

20 year-old franchise defenseman nominated for the Norris Trophy and winning an Olympic gold against the top players in the world while playing a key role (in their sophomore year!!) isn’t exactly common either. Out of the group of young, highly promising defenseman from the new generation, i.e. Myers, Karlsson, Weber, E. Johnson, Subban, even Keith, IMO Doughty may end up being the best of the lot.

Right now for Doughty, it’s just a matter of having such a short resume, but considering how good he is at 20, the sky’s the limit for this kid. Doughty is the Crosby of defenseman in terms of potential. It’s a lot closer than you think.

6. cautiousoptimist says:

I like your thinking, but Bugs is probably right — Pittsburgh would likely want at least O’Byrne and a 1st thrown in.  So Markov, the brothers, O’B and a 1st for Malkin and maybe a prospect.

My concern though is that I don’t know that we can deal four roster players in order to commit $9M to one centre, when we’ve already got $7M or so committed to Gomez on the second line.  For the money (and the players) I’d rather take a run at Marleau, give him his $7M, re-sign Pleks at $4.5M or so, and then deal Gomez and a prospect (Maxwell?) for an underachiever with skill who might benefit from a change of scenery.  Marleau and Pleks at $11.5M is way better than Pleks and Gomez at $11.5M IMO, or even Malkin and Gomez at $16M.  Plus we still have the brothers and Markov to keep or deal for players to fill other gaps.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat

You might get Malkin’s stick for the 2 K brothers.!….

My blog

Chris. I always thought that JM was hired to
    take over Bobs spot because Bob had said he would take the GM job for
    only 5 or 6 years.

I still think he will move upstairs and
    allow Kirk, Paron and Boucher to take over behind the bench. I was all
    about dumping JM now, but changed my mind after I witnessed this great
    play off run.

It is a team sport and the coaching team did a great job I thought.

9. dre1744 says:

Malkin finished 19th in scoring despite playing with a hurt shoulder   and missing  a few weeks because of it as well.  I’d  take  Malkin over Pleks  in a heart beat.

10. W35T5ID3 says:

wow…..talk about beating around the bush and tip toein around it eh?

11. W35T5ID3 says:

no….r u nuts?crosby will be considered 1 of the top 5 greatest players of all time!Doughty is tremendous but crosby is unreal.its not even close,really when u think abouit it.

12. Bugs says:

If I was Pitt, I’d say throw in O’B, Leblanc, and two 1st round picks and you got a deal.

Agitated but regulated, I aspire as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Undersecretary of North-East Division Propaganda Bureau, Section Chief of Flannel Department, and Field Operative for Habsbros Data Dissemination Services: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

13. crabvader says:

Much obliged. :)

14. captaink4life says:

Straight up, probably not. Had to think about it though. Doughty is so much fun to watch. Sid is a winner (and a whiner :P) though.

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

15. nightmare_49 says:

from Aaron Portzline / Columbus Dispatch

Boucher Speaks To Montreal Media

On seeing his name mentioned as an NHL coaching candidate …

“I know my name is thrown out there. My level of commitment is with (Montreal) at this point. It’s a tremendous present given to me by life. I’ve been at the right place and the right time. I believe we are a product of the people we meet, and I’ve been very fortunate in that aspect. It contributes to the fact that my career is on fast forward.”

16. captaink4life says:

Of course I respect the guy!! That’s why I’m saying 77 points is a sub-par season. For 95% of players that’s a career season. I would absolutely love to see Malkin a Habs uniform. There’s no way I’d get rid of Subban though. We need him to replace Markov down the road.

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

17. Ayan_SB says:

Would any of you trade Drew Doughty for Sidney Crosby and vice versa?

18. Ayan_SB says:

Again, last year’s Conn Smythe winner is still a Top 3 player in the league. He has 381 points in 309 games. This guy’s like Rodney Dangerfield, no respect I tell ya. He’s been playing in the playoffs non-stop for three years, plus the Olympics and the World Championship. Watch him next year with the rest he’s getting this post-season. He’s a generational player, sorry but those guys don’t come around very often. Any offer that doesn’t start with Markov and Subban will be rejected.

19. Ayan_SB says:

Last year’s Conn Smythe winner is still a Top 3 IMO.

20. captaink4life says:

Andrei could be labelled as under performing, but I think that it’s a bit of a stretch for Sergei. He hasn’t really been given a fair shake yet, and he’s still VERY young with loads of talent. As far as Markov, he’s a top 5 defenceman and I disagree with your statement that he’s injury prone. He was the victim of a freak incident when his Achilles tendon got torn and then he fell into the boards awkwardly after a routine bodycheck. Aside from this past season, he’s been quite healthy for the better part of his career.

Malkin is coming off a sub-par season (77 points) where he finished 19th overall in scoring. To put that in perspective, Pleks was 28th with 70 points.

Don’t sell our guys short, the offer is a lot more fair than you might think. The Penguins are desperate for skilled wingers to play with Sid and if they keep both Crosby and Malkin on the payroll it’s going to be very hard for them to afford the talent to play with him.

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

21. Bryan says:

No offense, but that’s a joke of an offer.  Two underperforming wingers and an aging, injury prone All-Star D-Man for a young player who’s top 5 in the league?  No way in hell!

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

22. captaink4life says:

I proposed Malkin because he’s that *big* center that everyone has been drooling over for the last 15 years loll

I wouldn’t mind having Backstrom though :P

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

23. captaink4life says:

If Gonchar retires, the Penguins will be looking for a puck moving D-Man. Markov is a proven All-Star that could fill that void for them. Also, I think the Bros are a big improvement over guys like Fedotenko or Dupuis to play alongside Crosby because they’re much younger and more skilled (maybe not consistently, but I’d be willing to bet that AK46 could easily put up 30+ goals playing with Sid).

I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to be honest with you. Maybe throw in a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but I wouldn’t offer much more than that.

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

Markov + The Kostitsyn Bros for Backstromm.

Whatever the Habs do in scouting they shouldn’t hire anyone to scout for Minnesota. Or maybe not. It’s like Minnesota is to the Habs what the Extra is to the 6/49.

26. Ayan_SB says:

Hahahahahahahaha

Or you were serious?

27. Bryan says:

Throw in at least 2 first round picks, and then maybe Ray Sherro won’t hang up the phone laughing when that’s offered.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

28. captaink4life says:

My trade proposal for PG:

Markov + The Kostitsyn Bros for Malkin

Thoughts from everyone else?

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

29. yathehabsrule says:

I’m a bit tired, but is this Bettman on Britain’s Got Talent?

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

30. Curtis O Habs says:

Let him work out the kinks in some other NHL city.  Nice point.

31. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Flyers just won the only game they’re gonna win in this series.

32. pmaraw says:

JM is to GB as AM is to PS

33. pmaraw says:

they are tanking for the 29th draft pick, its obvious.

Nice analogy!!! I don’t think many people will agree but that’s the nature of the beast you’ve given birth to.

35. ari says:

what is wrong with having him gain some nhl experience some where else than montreal.unless he becomes lindy ruff ,he will be available in future,it ia very different dealing with the kids who makes 5 figures and wait for their chance to jump to big club than dealing with the guys who gets 7 figures and his job depends on them.

36. Omit says:

Because Boucher was/is probably not ready.  Jumping from juniors to NHL is not exactly easy.

37. G-Man says:

1.20-25mil for 5  2. Halak. Trade Price (add the K bros)  3. Moore. Younger,faster. Came to play against some excellent competition and thrived.  4. 20 goals +. Upper body strength will make or break this one.  5. Bye-bye. Try to get 1 player. Packaged with Price, we may get a prospect. The problem is that clubs trade contracts, so who would be the equivalent of about $5 mil?  6. C-Gionta. A- Markov. A- Hal Gill   7. You can’t stop them from pursuing a head coaching job. JM is signed as has indicated that he wants to continue coaching. The Habs cannot remove him or promise his position to either candidate. It would be unfair to both.   8. 2 legit top 6 wingers. AK can’t. Pouliot might, so he needs another real shot this coming season if he puts in the work. Adding 2 30 goal scorers who are physical would vault the team into contenderhood.   9. 1 mil, Max (get it?)   10. See how he comes out of his injury while talking to him all the while. If he does want to move on (which I seriously doubt), a late January trade may be in order.

38. camel_larry says:

Haha yeah, that’s generally my plan of attack, but seeing as it’s a handwritten exam & essay, copy+paste might be kinda difficult.

39. camel_larry says:

Wow. What an amazing pic. Seriously. That’s awesome.

40. SmartDog says:

Inspiration = CTRL C + CTRL V

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

41. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I’m assuming Bob wanted a coach with some NHL experience.

42. camel_larry says:

Does anybody else see the JM/GB issue as being similar to Halak/Price?

JM = Halak. They are both (more or less) proven, and we know what they bring to the table. They can do the job now fairly well, and have shown flashes of brilliance.

GB = Price. They are both young, unproven, with inarguably very high ceilings, but it would be a gamble to throw ‘em in too early.

Thoughts?

43. SmartDog says:

I think it would be very sad to lose Boucher.  And JM to me is ‘okay’.. but it sounds like the guys on the team are the ones who decided the team direction and play without JM.  Based on the reports I’ve read here that ‘coming together’ happened in a struggle for direction between the players and thankfully came together at the right time.  no mention of JM.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

44. SmartDog says:

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

45. HNS says:

Why didn’t they give this man the head coach position before JM was hired? Anybody?

46. camel_larry says:

Wow. Nice essay, dude. I will use it for inspiration in my coming english exam.

Seriously though, I agree. 100%.

47. RetroMikey says:

I’d like to pry Alain Vigneault back from Vancouver to coach us if JM is unsucessful in his second year stint with us.  Not sure Guy Boucher will be a sucessful coach for us or an NHL team.  He still is a work in progress in my opinion and let’s play it by ear to see what Guy can do for a couple of more seasons in Hamilton.  There are many competitive coaches out there who are biding their time in the minors before making the big step in the NHL.

Patience Boucher, patience.

Excellent post by the way.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

48. Bill J says:

Well put!

Agree.

a Sports Psychologist ?

Uhm YEAH! losing GB IMO is = to losing a top prospect for nothing.

Something must be done!

49. SeriousFan09 says:

This is a report from Yesterday’s camp on multiple skaters including Nattinen, can’t find anything about today’s.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

50. Habitant in Surrey says:

…not sayin’ dump JM Ian, at least not yet …sayin’ do whatever it takes to keep GB from leavin’

…if necessary, make GB Assistant Coach …or the highest paid AHL coach

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

51. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

1. Try to resign Pleks for 4 M – 4.5 M at the most. If not then buy out/ trade Hamrlik for cap space and join the race for Marleau. If you’re going to spend 5+ million dollars on a center, might as well go for Patrick.

2. Keep Halak, trade Price for improving the team’s depth. Team has confidence in Halak and there’s no point of keeping a player with a lot of potential like Price as a back-up goalie. He can fetch some depth in return.

3. Dominic Moore, he will be more costly than Metro, but Glen is aging and Moore tends to score when a goal is needed the most. Plus Metropolit will be costlier than 1 million this year. This past year stats will boost up his value.

4. Pouliot’s potential for next season? 20-25 goals. Maybe even more. Keep him where he clicked. With Gomez and Gionta. But if the Habs to acquire a top six forward to replace him, play him on the 3rd line, but do not trade this kid just yet. Loads of potential.

5. K brothers need to go. One of my favourite players (after Price) but they’ve gotten their opportunities. Sergei seems unwanted by both the coach and the players. Trade ‘em as a package.

6. I’d personally continue with the assistant captains strategy. This team does not have just one leader but many, and if that’s best for the team, so be it. But if you really want to pick one, I’d chose Gorges.

7. I wouldn’t do much, you must respect the coaches, their options and let them speculate with others. Let them know that the organization would like to have them back and is willing to sign an extension with them if interested. They will only gain more respect for the GM and might as well stay.

8. A top center

9. Maxim? 800 K to 850 K. Give him a raise like Plekanec and see if he thrives knowing that the organization has given him a big chance to rebound.

10. I used to think that Markov was untouchable on this team. But he’s going to enter his mid 30′s soon and his play might gradually decrease over the upcoming years. I would like to see him sign a contract extension but if he gets a long term injury again next season, I think it would be the best to at least consider trading him. For either depth or a defensive, bone crushing type of defensive d-man. That doesn’t let the forwards enter the o-zone very easily.

Nice post Chris!  I have jumped off the dump JM wagon. Something finally came together. Let’s just see where things go from here.

53. Habitant in Surrey says:

…We would ‘love’ him if he was a Hab

…a mean, dirty version of Larry Robinson ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

54. Habitant in Surrey says:

…The Montreal Canadiens have had 2 Great Coaches in My Lifetime, …Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman

…a coach establishes the character and persona of a team as much or more than its collective players …it’s the coach that decides where and how his player assets are used …he motivates their desire positively or negatively

…I never coached nor wanted to coach, but I have been coached …what I DO KNOW is, that there are coach’s teams that would wind-up at the bottom of the NHL standings even if they had Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, Bobby Hull, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretsky and Jacques Plante ALL on his team

…there are others that would keep their heads above water, with maybe an occasional good year, if he had better than average players or chemistry

…then there are the exceptional Great Coaches that come along once in a generation or a life-time, whom are even more rare than Great Players …whom have that ability to make silk-purses out of sow’s ears …or make great players greater than their sum

…Jacques Martin over 15+ years in the NHL has established Himself in that middle-category …and there is nothing wrong with that

…Jacques, if nothing else this past season, was tenacious in keeping his focus, discipline and cool through what was a challenging year of melding strangers to a team-concept and compensated sufficiently for lost game availibility to key players through injury

…Jacques deserves respect for that

…though much credit must go to JM for being at the wheel for this interesting almost unforgetable season, you will also remember how We backed into incredibly qualifying for these Playoffs by NOT winning

…outshot most games 2 to 1 (…o’ but for The Grace Of God, WHAT would We be speakin’ of Jacques Martin today if not for Our real savior …Jaro Halak ???) …if not for Halak ?, would most of You argue We would of finished the season no more than a few more points ahead of the New York Islanders ?

…2 rounds of unforgettable over-achievement in these Playoffs ? …would You argue that JM should be greatful to Pearn’s and Kirk’s special-team strategies ? ..as well, would You argue He/We had a core of Players, with few exceptions, that were mediocre talent-wise yet possessed inate hearts and courage that required little motivation from a coach to play way over Their heads ?

…I have a hard time wrestling with the ‘potential’ of losing Guy Boucher to another team …I have no more assurances than Yourselves whether Guy Boucher will be an exceptional Coach for Us, or …a bust

…BUT …all the indications are Guy Boucher has ‘the style’ of aggressive speed, intelligent and creative hockey I want to see My Habs play again as in Our Glory Days under Blake and Bowman …in addition I feel Our Habs cries for a enlightened ‘renaissance man’ to establish a new generation of unique, hopefully ‘winning’, culture for Our Team

…from re-establishing a unique Montreal Canadiens’ Style Of Play to making Our Players feel the Montreal Canadiens is once again WHERE you WANT to play and learn the game of hockey

…I am not naive enough to declare Guy Boucher can or would ever achieve what Blake or Bowman did for Us …but I am saying My gut says His ‘potential’ certainly surpasses Jacques Martin

…at 38, Guy Boucher, notwithstanding His preference to coach Our Habs, He will find it difficult to explain to His wife that He decided to hang-out a year or two more in Hamilton rather than enjoy the perks and salary of an NHL head coach, even if in the wasteland of Columbus

…It’s My opinion that Pierre Gauthier’s ‘vision’and decisions longterm for where Our Habs go-from-here, is as much about His ability to keep Boucher within Our Organization, as it is the results of Player draft-picks and trades

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

55. Xtrahabsfan says:

1)2.5 million per

2)Halak ,buh bye Price

3)Moore

4)Start him with Boucher in Hamilton

5)Buh Bye K bro’s

6)Gill

7)Hookers,lol

8)All of the above

9)1.2 million

10)Trade

56. crabvader says:

1. 4mil per, I would not “replace him” but I would use the money to sign Colby Armstrong and Lombardi.

2. That’s the million dollar question.

3. Moore. I believe Moore still has more mileage on him and he is a faster skater…Also better defensively.. Loved Metro though.

4. I think he can score. He needs to work on his skating (balance) and just get him to run drills with Gio and Gomer… He needs to re-gain that lost confidence and stop trying to do too much.

5. Get rid of them. We can’t have guys who don’t want to play on our team… Andrei has been a project for too long… I just don’t think he fits on a team like ours… He would be a good fit for a team like Columbus or LA, I believe… Their value must not be phenomenal… I would say get some picks and free up some space…

6. I would make Gio the captain… the guy is a warrior and really leads these boys. Gill keeps an A and give one to Markov due to seniority :P… If we forget the seniority aspect, give one to Cammi… It’s hard because we have about 5 guys who can adorn the A. Gomez, Moore, Gorges, Markov, Gill, Cammi…

7. Give them money? Lol, I dunno… Personally I would give JM and administrative position and have Muller in as interim coach while Boucher gets a taste of NHL action as an assistant… It sounds far-fetched but I would see that as a positive outcome for everyone.

8. It is and has been a big centre… I still think we have some holes on defence… (get rid of Hamr). and then I’d say a backup for whoever is left after the goaltender debacle dust settles. Our bottom six is nice. Especially with the emergeance of Ryan White and Tom Pyatt among others who can play with Moore and Moen.

9. Not a dime over 900k.

10. Trade bait is only a viable option if we can get a QB type player out of Subban and insurance (a guy like Joe Corvo)… If that doesn’t happen, you sign Markov ASAP.

I thought it was Boone, but not sure. Or was it Hickey’s tape?

58. notbigbird says:

Who is the guy at the end of the tape arguing incessantly with Boucher about college and scholarships?

59. Puck Bard says:

Psst… too many questions.

“arrest this girl, her hitler hairdo, is making me feel ill”

60. crabvader says:

Can anyone tell me how Nattinen is doing in the dev. camp?

Ty :)

61. habs03 says:

Ya I was about to say the same, under the new CBA you get nothing, before you would get a pick, we gave up a 3rd rounder to EDM for hiring Julien because we shared a farm team. From what I’ve read from everyone, Guy Boucher seems like he is going to be a great coach, but I also see how the Habs viewed him to be a coach in the NHL in 2-3 years, as opposed to so soon. While it might be tough to let an asset like him go, I like that management said that they will not in the way of him advancing in his career.

62. otter649 says:

There is no compensation involved anymore……..

Whoa Baby – What’s Going On In Pennsylvania…..(Bob Cole)

63. tippytoes says:

Armstrong is the guy I would go after too. His big and mean.

64. tippytoes says:

Has anyone mentioned compensation in the event that Boucher is wanted by an NHL team as a head coach? If i were management I would not release his services for anything less than a first rounder.

65. habs03 says:

He would be good addition but I would much rather have Cobly Armstrong.

66. Bill J says:

Agreed.

No disrespect (well not in this post anyways) intended for JM.  But I really do not want to see this guy leave the organization.

In many ways he is a Babcock clone…. we NEED a Babcock clone!

I have not seen enough of him to know, but our Management team will bring up or bring in the right players to fill the holes.

After we find a way to unload 5 players that will not be on the roster next camp.—–My blog

68. habs03 says:

Totally off topic, there was a blown call on the last out of baseball game last night that ruined a pitchers perfect game. Usually we are are on refs for blown calls, but in the case with umpire Jim Joyce you can’t help but feel for the guy, man what a class act, the pitcher too handled it so well.

I dito that! Deary Leary.—-My blog

70. c.robillard says:

Does anybody think Raffi Torres would be a good
    UFA to sign this summer? He’s got size and grit, but I just haven’t
    seen him play enough to have a complete idea of the type of player he
    is.

Thoughts?

71. DearyLeary says:

I like something that Boucher said about player development.  Paraphasing here, “you like to see your players develop in a winning environment.”  Getting used to winning, and what it takes to win at all levels is an important lesson.  I don’t think that it’s some pin that drops where some player sudden learns how to win, it’s a process.

Having someone like Boucher in our developmental system will help our long term plans tremendously.  I’d love to see him for another year in Hamilton, and hopefully ready to make the jump up with a few players in a couple years.

72. slapshot777 says:

Hi guys just got this from Eric Engels blog and thought it would be nice to see some of your thoughts on the following questions.

1. What’s the most you’re willing to spend on Plekanec to keep him? If you would rather let him go, no matter the price, how would you replace him?

2. Price or Halak? Or both? If you choose one, what would you do with the other?

3. Glen Metropolit or Dominic Moore? Why?

4. Benoit Pouliot (rfa) won’t be expensive to resign, what do you think his potential is for next season? How would you approach his situation in order to get the best out of him?

5. Should the Brothers K stay or go? What would be fair value for them in a trade (as a package, or individually)?

6. Who do you make captain? Who should be the assistants?

7. With coaching jobs currently available in Tampa, Columbus, Atlanta and New Jersey, what would you do to retain Guy Boucher and Kirk Muller?

8. What is the most pressing need for the Canadiens (A top centre? A power-forward? A capable and experienced back-up? A franchise defenseman? Size on the bottom 6?)?

9. How much will Maxim Lapierre earn next season?

10. Negotiate with Andrei Markov after July 1? Wait until he’s back from injury to evaluate him? Use him as trade bait at the deadline?

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

73. zozotheclown says:

It would be nice to keep him, but it isn’t really fair to keep down someones career just for our own gain. It might not be such a bad thing if he goes, JM has 3 years left, and god knows coaching positions tend to last that or less these days, so even if he does go elsewhere theres a fair chance he could be free by the time JM’s contract is up. Our playoff drive has essentially secured JM’s spot for minimum 1 more year and probably 2, so I find it unlikely Boucher will want to wait that long.

74. avatar_58 says:

I have such mixed feelings about all of this. On the one hand JM clearly did something right. Furthest the habs have made it since 93. Luck? Maybe, I saw lot’s of it. Skill? Of course, Cammalleri was on fire. Goaltending? You bet. However who found the lines that worked? Who gave Moore et al ice time to score those goals they needed to put away games? Who had the balls to bench SK74 when everyone demanded he get in there (and completely flaked when he was in)

I don’t know, because then I watched the Philly series. I saw the same old Martin not calling time outs. I saw him using lines that just didn’t make sense at times. I watched as AK46 and Bergeron got plenty of ice time they didn’t earn. I saw a man who didn’t adjust when adjusting was needed. Luck? Maybe that’s all it was.

Like it or not we’re stuck with this guy for at least 2 more years, if not his entire term. However the team in front of him has me very happy so it’s not so bad. Sometimes you don’t even need an amazing coach to win. Lord knows Boudreau does well with very little idea of what he’s doing.

Bruce Boudreau’s coaching record speaks for itself. You speak for someone who obviously hasn’t a clue.

76. pmaraw says:

wow, its funny looking at the bruce boudreau stats…  so many great regular seasons followed by “Lost in Round 1″

You wanna really laugh. Check this guys record.

At least Boudreau won a championship or two.

78. pmaraw says:

maybe if he spent more than 3 years in the minors…???

79. pmaraw says:

ArponBasu

Guy Boucher on future with #Habs: “…coaching in the NHL is one thing, but I’m also in the organization where I always wanted to be.”

80. nunacanadien says:

That’s the problem, the Habs never think about themselves, we save the world, heck I think the Habs were there to settle world peace, cancer etc, never do we ever think of ourselves first.  So lets let Guy Boucher walk instead of using his services, but then we don’t know if he’s any better or worse than JM.

81. lavie says:

After Price vs Halak, Habs are facing Muller vs Boucher.

82. Ayan_SB says:

JeffMarek

True Story: Ron MacLean jumped into the Delaware River to save a man who was taking his own life this afternoon.

It was Don Cherry in the water and Maclean should have stayed dry!!! AYAN

My blog

Fantastic conversation with Boucher,nice work Mike, we know him a little better and I sure hope he stays with our organisation.

2010 Treats Fans With Great Play Off Hockey!

85. mike g says:

If it was Glen Healy, should he have stayed dry then?….

He’s pretty annoying, you know.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

86. SeriousFan09 says:

If Glen Healy and PJ Stock are drowning, what do you do?

Toss them cinder blocks.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

87. HabsFanNorway says:

I don’t know the details in the contracts, but since Spezza is available, would you trade Gomez and possibly a pick for Spezza? They both have about 7 million in cap hit.

Everyone from Sweden, Finland (swedish speaking), Norway, Denmark: Join the Facebook group “Montreal Canadiens Fan Club Scandinavia”!

88. lavie says:

Finland (swedish speaking). ???

89. SeriousFan09 says:

No, he’s a lazy player, doesn’t fit with the culture of these Habs at all.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

90. avatar_58 says:

Nope. I like the fight in Gomez and I’m proud he wears the CH. We can sit here and complain about his salary till the cows come home but the guy does what he does – carry the puck into the zone with kovalev-like dangling then assist on most of the line’s goals. Not sure what there is to complain about.

If Spezza ever showed up even to pick up a toothbrush in Montreal it would be a disaster!! Never! even if he were to play for free in Hamilton I would freak!!

If you were to know him, you would feel the same.  —–My blog

92. secretdragonfly says:

Want nothing to do with Spezza – people complain about Gomez’s contract but at least he has a pulse (and he gives pretty good after-game interviews).  Spezza is over-rated, IMO.

93. pmaraw says:

I don’t think this is a good idea, gionta and cammy came here because of gomez.

94. namgel says:

This just in.  Glen Heally jumped in the Delaware River to take his own life.  But it was OK.  The river went through his legs.

;-)

95. pmaraw says:

i had a goalie in nhl 10 like that today.

96. HabsFanNorway says:

Many in Finland speek swedish. All the countries in Scandinavia can talk and read the different languages, except for finnish. That makes it very easy to travel and communicate with each other here in Scandinavia.

97. HabsFanNorway says:

Agree! But I think Spezza might give you more points, but I loved what Gomez did in the playoffs!

98. avatar_58 says:

I like every bit of Gomez’ game save for the fact that he seems incapable of potting his own chances, and he tends to pass when a shot will do. He’s basically ONLY a playmaker with no aspirations of anything else. Personally I can live with that given how good he is at it, just get him some good wingers. Gionta is amazing with him, but we need another permanent guy who’s a little bigger to even it out

99. NoTinFoilCups says:

Couldn’t agree more. Except for PK we don’t have anybody else who can actually carry the puck into the other team’s zone. That’s a valuable asset compared with dump and chase.

100. habs4later says:

how about the fact that he can’t score. and when hew crosses the blueline always loses the puck.

wonderful player for 7.3 mil. I say buy out that piece of trash!

101. notbigbird says:

Ian, I’ve heard (read) you say this before. Obviously, you knew him as a junior and were anything but impressed. But we change. Do you know that he hasn’t changed and that he’s still the same Spezza as ever? Just curious and asking. With respect.

We all mature for sure, but the under lying character of the man, ,,,, I better leave it alone as everyone does change for sure. Your point is well taken, thanks.

103. notbigbird says:

Thanks. Who knows eh?

104. habs4later says:

and Gomez isn’t?

Gomez is 1 of the worst players in the NHGL. he’s nothing morew than a grossly overpayed underachieving AHL player. can’t even score into an empty net!