Boucher and Stevie Y make it official

The one who got away becomes Tampa Bay head coach.

Let the teeth-gnashing and what-ifs begin.

*  *  *

Boucher talks to CKAC.

*  *  *

July issue of L’actualite features Jaro Halak on the cover.

1. FSUPhi1584 says:

Well, technically the Habs are the Francophone team. The Maroons were the Anglo team. Also, the french media naturally wants french players and coaches because they appeal more to their french-speaking viewers.

Generally speaking, folks are more comfortable with one of their own. For example, I bet you would be thrilled if someone from your hometown played for the Habs. He would probably even become your favorite player.

Nevertheless, I also believe this team needs more Quebecers (not strictly french-speaking) because they’re home town boys. They have more vested in the team then just work, they could win a cup for their childhood team as well. Notice how the spark really came on for Laps in the playoffs.

The problem occurs when too much emphasis is placed on getting those hometown players to the point where it clouds your judgment.

2. Chorske says:

Jaysus, I only slobbered on you that ONE time

Bugs is a SO Beatles guy, although I wouldn’t say he wasn’t above partking in some Floyd as well

3. pic1983 says:

IF Geoff Molson got rid of Pierre Boivin, Pierre Gauthier, and Jacques Martin I know I would certainly be ecstatic.

I mean as far as ambassadors go, and channeling the past, no one does it better than the habs (in fact I think we do too much of it), but I can certainly get on board with the idea of going younger and eliminating the “old boys club” loyalties.

4. pic1983 says:

Saying you wouldnt pay over $3million/season is tremendously undervaluing pleks.  I wouldnt pay him more than $4.5/yr, but thats mostly because we already have a smallish, playmaking center, with good PK abilities, and hes already making over $7million.  If we didnt have scott gomez, I would give pleks the 5-5.5 million, which i am certain he will ask for, in a heart beat!.

5. pic1983 says:

Well i guess it depends.  I mean, if you’re a montrealer and you just like hockey because of the habs, than I dont see the point in having a second team.  However, I am certain that anyone whos actually a fan of the game of hockey and not just a montreal native whos a fan of the canadiens, will have second, third, maybe even fourth favorite teams.

I dont limit my hockey watching to just the habs, because to me, if you’re just watching habs games (especially under martin) you’re missing out on a lot of great hockey.

Through every round of the playoffs, there is always a team that i want to win more than the other, or a team – like the flyers – that I outright want to lose.

6. pic1983 says:

I agree….Most teams generally covet their draft picks and cap space…

unlike a certain team sporting blue blanc et rouge…

7. DD says:

Vancouver had the 2nd and 3rd draft overall when they got the Sedin twins in ’99

8. punkster says:

I am astounded by your insights.

9. Bill J says:

DUH – Go figure a young goalie was not great…

Kind of like Price has struggled this year

or Kinda like Jaro struggled prior to this year.

Another BRILLIANT observation by Tony

10. terrygain says:

Ah yes, Martin’s system – zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

11. camel_larry says:

Carolina Hurricanes 50/1
    Tampa Bay Lightning 60/1
    Edmonton Oilers 75/1
    New York Islanders 75/1
    Toronto Maple Leafs 75/1

13. nightmare_49 says:

e l – You should ask Denis Cassavant (RDS and Team 990) his scouting report on his nephew.

14. SmartDog says:

I think so (reading too much).  It’s true – it happened in the past, the playoffs are over.

AT the very most (and even this is a stretch) it says that maybe he’s to date unsure if he’s back or not.

I wonder if we’ll see some signings soon.  I would think Gauthier would have his plans in place generally…

Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

15. Bugs says:

You got me there.

Agitated but regulated, I aspire as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Undersecretary of North-East Division Propaganda Bureau, Section Chief of Flannel Department, and Field Operative for Habsbros Data Dissemination Services:

16. Storm Man says:

Thanks…. Keep up the good work.

17. camel_larry says:

“Some people don’t like (the pressure) at all and some do. I appreciated it and I enjoyed it.”
    Said by Dominic moore, reflecting on playing with the Habs. Notice that the verbs are in passé composé.

Reading into it too much? Perhaps. But hey, I’m a habs fan.

18. HFX-HabFan says:

His last name is Jones, not Earl Jones.  You should have either given his surname only, or his full name.

19. HFX-HabFan says:

I think your failure to answer a well-intended question (by someone who was sincerely interested and putting effort into getting to know you more) is another feather in the hat for those who don’t care for you.

If you’re not going to answer to simple questions I ask, I’m not going to bother wasting my time on here with you.  Sorry.

20. Bugs says:

So you have no link then?

Believe it or not, Darth, what an ex-GM says on tv is usually transcribed in print. And they’re VERY easy to locate. If you had a leg to stand on, you would’ve done so.

But since that would probably go against the bile you want to spwe, seems only convenient now that you are unable to …”scour” for it.

Now if you’ll excuse me, this mirror bears more watching.

Agitated but regulated, I aspire as

21. Bugs says:

Like I said: that’s the question.

Agitated but regulated, I aspire as

22. MathMan says:

Gauthier is the man of the hour? Is that supposed to reassure me?

I don’t see Martin continuing to coach the way he has and surviving the year — and if he does stay the course yet survives to coach into next year, I figure he won’t earn quite the same level of approval he got when Halak dragged him to the ECF, mostly in spite of him.

The team’s #1 current need is for a coach with a modern hockey system emphasizing puck possession and zone time, and strong developmental skills.