Bolts coach Tortorella sings Vinny’s praises

Tampa Bay Lightning’s Vincent Lecavalier "is the best player in the league," his coach, John Tortorella, said before Monday’s 6-1 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs. "I don’t care what anybody else talks about. And I say that, and I’m not trying to be disrespectful to anybody else.

"I just see that as a coach, I can put him in any situation and feel comfortable – offensively and defensively. And how’s he handled himself in the room and matured there – I just think puts him above and beyond."

1. Kevin says:

Definetely agree with Tortorella here

2. ebk says:

People are only calling out Carbo to push him and motivate him like he is doing with the players. One day he will thank the minions for pushing him to become the best coach in the NHL.

3. The Teacher says:

(Sung along to the tune of, Row, Row, Row Your Boat)

Slow, Slow, Slow your toast
    Vinny’s but a dream.
    Scarily, Scarily, Scarily, Scarily,
    He’s on the other team.

4. The Teacher says:

Wow, a reasonable post about Carbonneau!

5. mjames says:

Who installed the passive forecheck and trap? Do you think that works against puck possession teams? Carbo’s trap results in 30 plus shots while the Devils is usally in the 20’s. Are you saying this is all the players’ fault? In terms of replacement coach I will give you a name – Denis Savard and this guy even speaks french.

mjames

6. kevin m says:

I think that the Habs should be playing all of their home games, between December & February, on outdoor rinks.

At least we would be assured of a 100% skating effort. Albeit, an effort to stay warm.

Just a thought.

7. RetroMikey says:

John Tortorella tells it like it is. Many occasions he has blasted his players in the media and what have they done? They’ve stepped it up and Vinny for one has to thank his coach for pushing him and motivating him to become one of the elite players in the NHL. Sound familiar with Guy Carbonneau here in Montreal? You bet! But most of the fans are bashing our coach unfairly on this site and the “veteran” players (they know who they are) have not stepped it up. I’m happy with Guy as our coach, I can’t think of anyone who would come in and replace him, it’s the players that have to step it up big time! Never hurt Toronto with all the shake ups going on there with the media. The players have to hustle and play hard every shift as a whole, this is the major flaw in my opinion, not Guy!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

8. Ibleedbleublancetrouge. says:

ummm, even if we did sign Souray, you would still be missing him since he’s only played like 3 games this season? What Hamrlik lacks in leadership, he’s more than made up in plus/minus.

9. Ibleedbleublancetrouge. says:

If there is one player in the NHL that would fit better than Vincent in MTL, I’d like to know who. I disagree with the notion that one player cannot make a difference on a team. Think about the weight off of Koivu’s shoulders, the insipiration it would put into him, the fact that it would actually make the Canadiens feel like they have a legitimate chance at hoisting the cup. I could go on forever. The “system” (whatever the hell that is) would have to change (or the creator of such a “system”) but please, Lecavalier in Montreal would silence every french critic from here to Marseille. He is the 7 missing pieces the habs need in one package and Gainey knows that.

The single biggest problem is we may never get him. Tampa will do whatever they possibly can to keep him, and if they don’t sign him, 28 others GM will throw 10 million a year at him, one team won’t… Montreal.

10. habs03 says:

To me trading for Lecavalier now, simple wont do us any good, ya maybe we’ll make the playoffs and be the 7th or 8th seed but we’ll go no where, and for wat we would have to give to get Lecavalier i personal dont think its worth it. But i do think its worth it to sign him the second his a UFA, and just offer him the maxium or close to it at 20% of the Cap, by then i trully believe we will have a team that not only well have a superstar that it needs but alot of good players in the prime, Plekanec, the Kostitsyns, higgy, kommy, price etc. And than well have a team that has a good chance to win the cup year in and year not.

11. Ibleedbleublancetrouge. says:

Actually, Jay Feaster has been quoted as saying that if his team continues to stumble through Christmas he will have to unload some of his payroll and namely Richards or St. Louis (if he should agree). He has very little intention of moving LeCavalier.

12. TommyB says:

I think St.Louis has a no trade clause….not sure about Richards. I think if St.Louis did not have that no trade clause he would have been traded by now.

I watched the Bolts/Leafs last night…wow, does Tampa Bay need goaltending.

13. Mike says:

Can we get avery? i would love to see him play for the habs.

14. Wops says:

Vinny, Vinny, Vinny ! See you in two years… maybe! (wishful thinking)
    _______________________________________
    CH is for Chris Higgins

15. ccs says:

I know that we all would like a superstar power forward but before we try to land that type of player lets get some toughness in the line up first. If we had a Nilan type player that would be amazing. Who do we have that scares the opposition??? I am starting to miss Souray big time. I know that he had his problems ( Crappy defensive play ) but he was a player that gave his all for this team and his teamates. I guess it dosn’t mean anything to wear the CH anymore, what a shame….

16. AdamG says:

whatever spare defenseman we can find

17. Mike says:

vinny is not coming to mtl, get over it, why would he want to? who would he play with?

18. AdamG says:

i just love how stupid Jay Feaster is. his team has sucked rocks since the lockout. he has no depth, no goaltending and no defense. but he refuses to trade St. Louis or Richards, no matter how bad that team gets.

19. arcosenate says:

i have been looking at the san jose mercury news, the fans there seem to want to get rid of patrick marleau pretty badly. i wonder if he would help us at all, or is he too soft? anyway, a shakeup might be on the way, but it ain’t gonna involve lecavalier!!!!!!!!!