Boivin to step down as CH Group president

The Canadiens have just announced that Pierre Boivin will step down as the president of CH Group on Jun 30, 2011 and turn the reins over to majority owner Geoff Molson.

In other news, Jacques Demers is in the hospital and Bob Probert has died.

• Forgotten but not gine: BGL whines about Guy Carbonneau and Jacques Martin not liking tough guys

The team’s release:

MONTREAL, July 5, 2010 – The Board of Directors of CH Group, the holding company that owns the Club de
hockey Canadien, the Bell Centre and evenko, announced today that it has adopted a succession plan to
ensure a smooth transition in its corporate leadership at the conclusion of the next fiscal year, on June 30,
2011. This is in accordance with Mr. Geoff Molson’s decision to assume the position of President and Chief
Executive Officer.
The plan calls for Mr. Pierre Boivin to stay on as President and CEO of Club de hockey Canadien and evenko
until the end of the transition period. He will work closely with Mr. Molson, who will assume Mr. Boivin’s duties
on June 30, 2011.
Mr. Geoff Molson, Chairman of CH Group, underscored the importance of Pierre Boivin’s contribution to the
organization’s success.
“From the moment he was hired by Molson Inc., eleven years ago, Pierre undertook to transform the
organization by modernizing it, developing fan passion and loyalty, particularly through the team’s centennial
celebrations, and creating value in all of our sports and entertainment operations,” Geoff Molson stated. “We
have been able to count on his loyalty and unfailing support since we purchased the team and both the Board
of Directors and I greatly appreciate being able to rely on his expertise, experience and cooperation during the
coming year to ensure that our plan is executed successfully. To this end, we have invited Pierre, and he has
accepted, to join the board of directors of CH Group.”
For his part, Mr. Boivin underlined his attachment to the organization. “Ever since I took on the management
of the Montreal Canadiens and related businesses, I have had the privilege of working with owners and
employees who were passionate about hockey and entertainment, committed to the team’s success,
respectful of our fans and the entire community, and determined to create a unique experience for our patrons
at the Bell Centre. The confidence and unflagging support of our owners combined with the skills and
commitment of all of our employees allowed our organization to achieve ever more ambitious goals.”

1. likehoy says:

he’s trying to mess up the space time continuum.

2. kempie says:

This is becoming one of the funniest. most twisted things I’ve seen in  months.

3. avatar_58 says:

Money doesn’t buy happiness.

(Wait….yes it does)

4. 100HABS says:

Well, you can make pretty good money just being on the board of directors… so I wouldn’t call it getting canned. He also has a year to get another full-time job or set up work as a consultant on his own time. I bet he’s happy.

5. pic1983 says:

This is almost less of a news story than bob gainey stepping down for pierre gauthier while staying on as advisor.

6. avatar_58 says:

He pretty much will be in a few years of habs ownership

7. SlovakHab says:

I am happy Halak got traded and happy that the three monkeys have put together a good team, including your fav player Mike Cammalleri.

8. HabFanSince72 says:

I agree with the cat.

9. HabFanSince72 says:

Probably. I don’t listen to CKAC or TQS.

10. mike g says:

I’ll tell you what..

If I can purchase a business like the Habs, advertise for free, sell my beer that costs me 12 cents to make for 12$ a pop, sell 22 cent hotdogs for $4.50, and charge people 225$ to sit front row plus an invisible 7$ “service fee” for using your own ink to print out the tickets in your house…I think I’ll overpay a little bit too.

When you have people constantly overpaying for something you provide, you’re flying. The Molson’s won’t lose a penny with their purchase of the Habs.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

11. SlovakHab says:

Boivin will remain as president of the Canadiens.

12. HabFanSince72 says:

Sorry – I didn’t read the communique.

So he really is getting canned.

13. nunacanadien says:

One more year of supporting the three monkeys, gainey,gauthier and trevy, while they continue their stupid blunders…like Halak being traded…

14. The Cat says:

Kovalchuk and Boivin are pretty boring topics.

15. HabFanSince72 says:

I’d like them to cut out all the marketing nonsense during the games. It isn’t likely to happen.

16. 100HABS says:

That’s not what the communiqué says – that’s what Kevin Mio says. I think he misinterpreted.

17. HabFanSince72 says:

Problem is he is not a gazillionaire.

18. mike g says:

CKAC is the King of that, Mon Chum!!

They’ll go insane over anything and nothing. It’s a comedy show for me, especially when Jean-Charles is on. To listen to them talk about hockey is extreamly amusing…

But then when you stop and think about it, it’s sad lol. They’re talking hockey in MTL, are a bunch of idiots that bitche about language issues, yet get paid to do it in a hockey crazy market.

See why most fans are delusional in this city?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

19. 100HABS says:

Kevin – it seems to me Pierre will remain on the BOD after next June, not as president of the Canadiens.

Anyhow, this doesn’t change anything. The decisions that matter to the fans are made by the GM and I don’t expect that to change. I don’t really care all that much about their marketing decisions.

20. avatar_58 says:

Hey if I were a gazillionaire I’d overpay too. I would love me some habs ownership :)

21. HabFanSince72 says:

Boivin will remain as President of the Canadiens.

22. Tony243 says:

You should stop drinking koolaid. Jim Jones got banned. Those two stand patters still don’t know how to take this 88 point team with a 47% anywhere. Incompetants!!!

23. SeriousFan09 says:

Or the businessman who’s on the line for half a billion dollars would like to have a more direct hand in the operation of the team he owns.

24. HabFanSince72 says:

The only two things I know about Geoff Molson are that he inherited a great fortune and he overpaid for the Montreal Canadiens.

25. crabvader says:

Tony, do you think people aren’t aware it’s you?

Are you a glutton for punishment?

26. HabFanSince72 says:

Actually there is way more obsession about language here than in La Presse or on RDS.

My guess is no one on “the other side” will care about this very much.

I suspect if anyone is paying attention to the two named individuals’ mother tongues  it’s the Gazoo readers.

27. mike g says:

Never go full retard, Ian…….

Never.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

28. J.T. says:

Hmmm…reads to me as though Boivin is only staying as Habs president until next year, then Molson takes his place.   I guess that’s what happens when you don’t return Larry Robinson’s phone calls.

29. mike g says:

If this news actually means something, I can’t wait to hear the french radio when I finish work…

They’ll start complaining again that Guillaume Poutine and all the francophones were/are being traded. They’ll bitche about how our roster is being built with HOCKEY PLAYERS who only speak english. Then they’ll start a dumb conversation about how a good’ol Quebecois francophone is gonna lose his job to another anglophone.

Even though both are born in Quebec, they’ll find a way to bitche about what just happened today lol..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

30. crabvader says:

Yay, now Kovalchuk can score 30g/season with the defensive-minded Devils.

31. crabvader says:

This is a fruitless move.

Boivin was a great PR guy. That was his job, to promote Habs hockey and he did it well (even though you don’t really need a kick in the ass to be a die-hard Habs fan in Montreal).

I’m indifferent.

32. joeybarrie says:

Doesn’t thi mean pretty much NOTHING to us. As president of the CH group his duties included exactly what that had anything to do with hockey and the Habs directly. As he is still going to be President of the Club, and not the GROUPE then doesnt absolutely nothing change in our eyes???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

33. Tony243 says:

Yo baby bro’ how is old 242 doing?

34. WarHero says:

They could yes, and the Habs will deal with it if it happens. Stay positive :)

35. Olay Olay says:

theyll find away to do it as most winning teams with qualified people running them usually do. here they put themselves in this jam by their stupidity.

36. Olay Olay says:

price? has not signed. they dont know what he’ll cost plus someone could put an offer in for him driving habs intended cost up. “tieing their hands” right now for others not knowing where they are at.

37. ZepFan2 says:

Dah, I’m must to be agreeing, Meowrade!

38. WarHero says:

They don’t need anyone else once those two are signed. That’s all the 1 way deals done :)

39. HabFab says:

A nightmare featuring the unkillable brain dead zombie!

40. Olay Olay says:

but its tied habs hands regarding the cap and who else they can sign or pay?

41. Bill J says:

I uhm – ……  <Runs into Bomb Shelter>  Agree with you…

BOOM!!!!

Ah Cr@p! lol

42. smiler2729 says:

Me too… one of my faves ever.

43. WarHero says:

Indeed, don’t worry about Price or Laps, they will get done :)

44. Olay Olay says:

The GM was his schoolyard buddy!

45. Olay Olay says:

Couldn’t have said anything truer!

46. Olay Olay says:

You hit the nail right on the head. However they dont have halak to save them anymore!

47. Dintrox says:

It also means NJ is going to need to dump salary. They will be over by 4 -5 M and have 19 players signed. Not to forget that Parise is an RFA after next season.

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.

48. Olay Olay says:

Means they’ve already agreed to a nice fair deal for him. Somethoing that obviosly wasn’t going to happen here or possibly with Price either?

49. Olay Olay says:

All it means is another Eastern team did what it had to including those other earlier signings on defense in order to compete for the top of the conference, something Canadiens did not do as they have an unqualified capologist and GMs from before-cap era, who have put the team into this jam. Which may be even worse after a Price deal is finally done. A deal that should have been made prior to trading any goalie away.

50. WarHero says:

Me to, best scraper ever, hands down! I was just watching a bunch of his fights on YouTube … damn he could fight …!

51. WarHero says:

haha nice! In other arbitration news, from what I read, Halak is NOT going to arbitration :) That’s good news for the Blues :)

52. crabvader says:

I’m bummed about Probert… ugh

53. SeriousFan09 says:

Niemi is going for salary arbitration in CHI. Apparently he doesn’t earn enough to keep buying Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson and Campbell all those gifts he gives them for making him look like a starting goalie.

54. WarHero says:

We resign him next year with some of the funds from Markov and Hammer since they won’t be getting those big contracts again :)

55. Hockey Socks says:

I don’t think so, Twitter is fantastic. Information is available faster than ever before.

56. Olay Olay says:

If the team doesn’t make the playoffs he and the rest of his friends poorly running the on ice operation finally will be completely swept out the door. The first step.

57. Bob Barker says:

how is it different from reading about is in the obituary section  or on a Web site? Most twitter posts contain links to the article anyway.

58. StevieRay says:

Especially if he has a turn around year like Pleks did … gets rewarded like  Pleks  …6 years no trade @ 6 mil a year …

What’ll we do then ….he certainly is capable,especially with kid brother sk gone .

59. smiler2729 says:

Probie was one of my favourite players (got a Red Wings #24 jersey hanging in the basement), I hope he comes through. Heard he cleaned up his act in the last decade so this would be awful news if something bad happened.

60. mike g says:

You know we live in a F-up society when “Twitter” is reporting deaths of human beings…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

61. SeriousFan09 says:

That’s… damn, just wrong. 45? The guy didn’t even have 10 years in retirement.

62. mrhabby says:

iam not sure what boivin did but if this is all about getting rid of the old and adopting new strategies and new ideas iam all for it.

63. The Cat says:

Long may you toil Likehoy!

64. New says:

A. Kostitsyn will be playing for contract this year. He will do fine no matter where he is.

65. New says:

M. Boivin brought enthusiasm and concern for the future of the Canadiens during his tenure. I am glad he is staying on to show Mr. Molson the ropes, and ease the transition. Thanks M. Boivin.

66. Dintrox says:

TSN is reporting he was sent to hospital without vital signs after a boating accident near Windsor.

67. Storm Man says:

This is very good news.

68. nightmare_49 says:

Earlier : via Windsor Star

Former NHL forward Bob Probert has been rushed to hospital after collapsing in a boat on Lake St. Clair Monday afternoon, AM800 CKLW is reporting.

Emergency crews performed CPR on the former Red Wings player on shore and transported the 45-year-old to Windsor Regional Hospital.

An OPP spokeswoman would not confirm the boating victim as Probert.

69. Dintrox says:

Signing Kovalchuk for that chunk of change and over that term. Could it be that Lou’s defensive style has warn on the ownership? Sure doesn’t sound like a deal Lou would make.

70. cautiousoptimist says:

hahaha

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  71. nightmare_49 says:

update 4:55pm, George Malik tweets,

CKLW says former Red Wing Bob Probert has died at 45 years of age.

72. The Big O says:

Finally some great news and a step in the right direction. Now hopefully Mr. Molson can try to keep politics out of the hiring process for future GM and executive positions.

73. VintageFan says:

Stepping Down?  Even in this euphemism-rich society, surely no one buys that?

But when you spend a Gazillion dollars to purchase CH, you get to do what you want.  And when in the first year you get an unexpected $27 million – you can “pay off” anyone and everyone.

Boivin is likely only the first.  There’s lots of bucks left in the warchest!

I think he’s part of the habsr<insert derogitory name here> line but I could be mistaken.

75. alestar says:

Too bad about Bob Probert, 45 is just way too young to go…RIP, big guy.

XXIV…and counting

76. drivefor25 says:

The volume of HIO posts will decrease, but the quality will go up immeasurably. Call it addition by subtraction.

Fan since ’71

77. JIMVINNY says:

It’s okay. man.  Halak will get over it, and so will you.  Maybe it won’t be for a little while, but in the meantime, please, just drop it.  I understand you hate Price, but the incessant whining really gets old fast.

78. Olay Olay says:

thats the class of gainey and the clique. give gomez koivu’s #11 because he also hates him.

79. Olay Olay says:

oh no its not getting old or forgotten and even price knows the pressure the fans will put on him next fall. the clique took their first volley today from molson. the others sure realize it now. how many nhl teams have fired gauthier?

80. Olay Olay says:

to you maybe

define what is someone who is NOT a troll in your groupthinking mind?

81. SeriousFan09 says:

Is there a full moon out tonight or something?

82. likehoy says:

i know i said i’ll get some video of the boys over the days of camp…but you guys will have to wait till thursday/friday!

camps going on the same time as the semi-final world cup games and the world cup only comes every 4 years :S so i won’t have time to check out the camp…but thursday and friday should be good!

83. SeriousFan09 says:

Yes but we have a Russian coming over to play for us, that only happens every 6 years! Get your priorities in order ;)

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

you’ve become a parody of yourself, whereas you used to just be annoying now I just can’t help but laugh at your posts, who needs robin williams when you have Dudley Do-Right yukking it up here…well done old chap well done, how much more rope do you think you’ll need this time before you hang yourself again?

I would like to know why someone deleated my post when I announced the passing of Bob Probert on here earlier.? Did they think it was a crank post or something.?

86. kordic says:

Probert and I had some good tilts. It’s a very big and sad loss seeing all he went through to turn his life around. I guess not everyone can be Scarface and get away with it.

Very happy they put a molson back In charge, I guess we should all be glad that we might get a sniff at the cup sooner than expected after all. The family is very passionate about hockey and bringing the cup back home where it belongs. We should see a lot more Canadians coming to the team because lets face it, Europeans win awards, Canadians win you cups.

“The ghosts are gone. The Canadiens have two choices, try and win the cup or be French Canadian” – Ken Dryden

87. GrimJim says:

Welcome back tony.

“Punch Imlach would tell the press he was calling up someone from the minors who was going to take care of me. So I would skate by the Leafs bench and say “Who ya got for me today, Punch? Send him out.” – John Ferguson

88. ooder says:

red wings 1994-2004

enough said

——————

88 is the new 23

89. kordic says:

Good job Einstein.

90. kordic says:

91. GrimJim says:

I’m hurt…

Dark times have befallen us Ian. The inmates have escaped and are running the asylum.

93. sprague cleghorn says:

Four guys wore 23 after Gainey.  Jeff Brubaker (and 5 others) wore 18 after Savard. Seven guys (including Darcy Tucker!!!) wore #12 after Cournoyer, and he wore it after the great Dickie Moore.
    Nine (9!) guys wore 5 after the Boomer.  Fourteen guys wore 27 after
    Frank Mahovlich. Sixteen players wore #29 after Dryden.  Seventeen guys
    wore Butch Bouchard’s #3 (including the immortal Kent Carlson and
    Robert Dirk).   Koivu wore 11 after Lambert, Walter, and Muller, Houle,
    Larose, Tardiff, Turner, and Floyd “Busher” Curry.  Not to mention
    Gerry MacNeil.  Let’s get over it.

I promise never to bold another comment. And, btw, I really liked Saku.

94. Bugs says:

Ooooo, cynical.

I like it.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

95. GrimJim says:

Today’s paranoia is brought to you by the letter G, B and P and the numbers 88 and 47…

96. _Habsoloutly_ says:

you should get over your creepy adoration of Price.  there’s being a fan and then there’s being a psycho,  you’re the latter.

97. ooder says:

right back at ya xenophobe

——————

88 is the new 23

98. ooder says:

u like my sig :)

——————

88 is the new 23

99. Bugs says:

It’s because you accidentally wrote “the passing of Bob’s probe”.

Sounded a little iffy…

100. Bugs says:

It’s the Toranna power-outage. And since those goofballs can’t find their wives with a map and a flashlight (or a map and a flashlight for that matter), they come bother us.

Disgraceful.

101. likehoy says:

27 + 47 = 88.

102. SeriousFan09 says:

Hockey, the only pro sport where xenophobia is still acceptable, some days it’s hard to be a fan of the game.

103. Bugs says:

“Hire the best men without regard to language”???

Please elaborate on what Pierre Boivin was doing wrong, 4Ever.

104. Bugs says:

And HOW does this pertain to Pierre Boivin, please?

105. HabFanSince72 says:

Halak did get his reward. He got exactly what he asked for.

106. jrshabs1 says:

We are Canadia(e)n….some people in la belle province forget. Thats all!!!

a troll is a poster who will make outrageous and negative remarks to provoke dissent in an online discussion and then calls other posters group thinkers because they refute his position

108. Sheldon says:

True dat!

109. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

88 = Four zeroes

0000

110. Bugs says:

Disregarding the fact your statement ties in not at all to Boivin’s mandate, I should add that many OTHERS in La Belle Province forget that it’s CH on the jersey, and not HC.

This team represents not only a city but a culture.

Making it unique in the League.

111. punkster says:

Just got in from the fest and this is the most interesting and entertainng comment of the night. And I can definitely attest to the fact that it is, indeed, the hum-didy. Stinkin’ hot.

FREE TIMO!

112. Chorske says:

Same anti-euro crap. Gets dull after a while.

113. Chorske says:

incompetent.

amatoor!

114. Bugs says:

Maybe Mr. Molson got a little ahead of himself here.

He shoulda put ME in charge!

I woulda ordered the whole roster overhauled into Chinese. That way, I could read what you French-bashers would come up with next to sustain your prejudice.

Bad move by Molson, I say.

115. Chorske says:

As always, a great post.

I have trouble getting sentimental about Probert. Not so sure I am up to lionizing a guy who pretty much represented an aspect of hockey that I don’t enjoy– and who ultimately self-destructed. I’m not made of stone- I feel sorry for him and (mostly) his family, I wonder what more could have been done help him to straighten out- but I can’t say I’m too surprised or nostalgic.

You KNOW Mario is headed for the broadcast booth. He and Carbo can try to out-sardonic-smile each other.

Heck, let’s get Ron Corey in there too. Maybe also a root canal and colonoscopy.

116. HabFanSince72 says:

Funny how they would love to remove every French speaking member of the organization (all 5 of them), because they don’t like “language politics”.

117. jrshabs1 says:

But it is Canadian right?..Can’t hide that fact. It represents Canadian culture..C-A-N-A-D-I-A-N…Hockey is Canadaian right?…The CH should unite us as CANADIAN not a city or culture that excludes 90% of the CANADIAN population. Please leave your culture rubbish in 1995 where it belongs.

118. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Let’s not get excited about the Molsons. Inherited money doesn’t mean inherited talent or brains. It just means he got rich enough to own the Habs because of his birth.

Let’s see if he has talent and brains.

Sad news about Probert.

119. kempie says:

Stay crazy my friend. Stay crazy.

120. andrewberkshire says:

Considering the amount of success Boivin has provided in marketing and other facets of his job (it doesn’t have anything to do with hockey decisions) I would have to agree. This move smacks of arrogance by Molson, as he’s in essence canning a guy who’s done the job better than 29 other teams.

121. Bill J says:

While I would tend to agree with you in most cases, sometimes when you are born into it… Your ARE successful.

This is not the 2nd generation owning the Habs, it is the 3rd or 4th generation now.

Hate to compare them, because of my distaste for “the father”: The Trump’s are another family like the Molson’s, the Kids are MUCH smarter then their father, and look to be just as successful if not more…

So I agree, apprehensive.  But not “too” worried about it either…

122. fbkj says:

Boivin, marketing wise, did amazing things for this team… being said it sucks that trippleX will have to find a new boogyman…

123. ZepFan2 says:

Still has at least two scapegoats…Gainey or Gauthier.

124. Bugs says:

Yet, the only way I hear about it, is through English media, oddly enough.

I can only hope that marketing-wise, there is method in this madness.

I’ma give Geoff the benefit of the doubt since his brewery surely rakes in more than the Canadiens and I suppose that SOME marketing must be involved in that entreprise.

125. Bill J says:

You forgot about Timmins & Carey Price!

lol

126. Bugs says:

Like buddy said to some monarch afore the French Revolution really got crackin: “Vous vous êtes donné la peine de NAÎTRE, monsieur, et rien de plus.”

Hope it ain’t like that.

127. Olay Olay says:

Inherited skill

c/p

This is Gainey’s draft thinking. When Gainey left Dallas they immediately traded his UNTALENTED son away – didnt take long and Gainey signed his boy for the Hamilton team who could have used the spot to train a potential NHL player. This year, Gainey/Gauthier trades away a #2 round pick to move up 5 spots in the lower 3rd of the 1st round to draft the son of one of his Gainey’s players Tinordi. This is who is running this team. In 1997 was he going to be drafted by anyone in the 3rd round and then make the money a third round pick makes?

‘Steve Gainey was drafted in the THIRD ROUND, 77th overall by the Dallas Stars in the 1997 NHL Entry Draft, by his father, General Manager Bob Gainey. Gainey attended St. Andrew’s College for the 1994–1995 academic year prior to playing for the WHL’s Kamloops Blazers.’

1998-99 Kamloops WHL 15 5 4 9
    1997-98 Kamloops WHL 7 1 7 8

Drafted in 1997

1996-97 Kamloops WHL 2 0 0 0
    1995-96 Kamloops WHL 3 0 0 0

128. ZepFan2 says:

Well, in my defense, I did say, at least two.

We may as well add Gomez and see where we go from there. lol

129. HabFanSince72 says:

Boivin did start to poke his nose in  hockey decisions once GIllett was on his way out. Did he not start mouthing off about Lecavalier and Halak last year?

Also, making hockey at the Bell Centre indistinguishable from hockey in Carolina or Tampa is not something to be applauded.

Boivin was a philistine, and good riddance.

130. SeriousFan09 says:

I think everyone is getting ahead of themselves, Geoff Molson is a businessman and is on the line for every cent involved in the purchase of the Canadiens. If he wants to take control of his investment, that’s his business. Long as he doesn’t stick his hand in daily operations, whatever. Maybe we won’t have any more stupid foam finger handouts during playoff games and he’ll free up more cash for the scouting staff, maybe not.

Mitch Melnyk said all season, of the top 10 problems facing the Canadiens, goaltending wasn’t in there. I would go further, of the top 50 problems facing the Canadiens, who the Team President isn’t there.

131. Bill J says:

Hell – let’s make this simple

“Whoever works for the Habs – Starting with the Owners, and Shareholders.

All Molson Product purchasers may as well be lumped in, & let’s not forget us the fans, and last but not least…. The Media!”

Damn.  That’s a long list!

132. HabFanSince72 says:

If  Molson beer is the template for the Habs,  we’re in trouble.

133. HabFanSince72 says:

And those frickin’ white towels …

134. andrewberkshire says:

He mouthed off, but I doubt he had any power. As far as hockey decisions go he was a figure head for the Molsons.

As for the Bell Centre being indistinguishable from hockey in Tampa or Carolina, you really need to rethink that statement. The Bell Centre is like no other hockey arena on this planet. The passion is palpable and there’s nothing wrong with it aside from concessions being way too expensive.

135. SeriousFan09 says:

You mean with the ice girls, the 15$ tickets with 20$ of free concession vouchers to go with them, the hideous 3rd jerseys (Yeah barber poles sucked but most of the throwbacks were solid), terrible ice to play and slow if not glacier-like crews to replace broken glass panels and half-empty arenas?

Other than that yeah, the Bell Centre is exactly like Tampa Bay.

136. le_vrai_jacques says:

get over it

137. HabFanSince72 says:

The fans are more passionate. The show is no different.

I remember the forum.

138. nickster13 says:

What i don’t get is why our organization doesnt even do any proper talent searches. GM, President and even coaches all seem to be former players or related to someone, or some guys best friend, or ex college roommates, you get the idea. Boivin was good at marketing sure, but look at the good hires he made over all these years, which were arguably the worst the organization has seen in terms of on ice stuff and talent put on the ice!

On the other side, geoff molson? Chicago goes out and hires Scotty bowman for that job, other teams hire former coaches who know hockey, and we hire a guy who inhereted a company because of his name? Yeesh!!!

thats just my opinion, but other teams actually conduct searches for things like these.

139. SeriousFan09 says:

The rally towels were fantastic for the atmosphere of the playoffs, the entire Bell Centre on their feet? Should we give out Vuvuzelas or those thundersticks instead? They’re a great way for the crowd to get into the game and rally behind the team.

140. Bill J says:

When your the OWNER – you ultimately get to choose who the boss is.

Geoffrey Molson grew up surrounded by Stanley Cups in the 70′s

It’s not just a name for him, I do not know his education and how involved he was as a youngster, but I assume he learned a few things along the way.

141. WarHero says:

I am willing to bet that Geoff’s knowledge of both the franchise and the game would put any of the posters on here (including myself) to complete shame.

142. WarHero says:

Amen :)

143. HabFab says:

T243 is our favorite multiple personality poster doing what he does best.

Olay Olay also sounds like our old friend T242, the summer fun season has started.

144. Tony243 says:

Kool-aid party. You’re invited.

145. SeriousFan09 says:

John F. Mcdonough is the President of the Chicago Blackhawks, Scotty Bowman is a senior advisor to the Chicago Blackhawks, not the President. Bowman has no more direct influence over hockey operations than Bob Gainey does here and now I’ve triggered the tinfoil hat brigade with that sentence. Molson is the principal owner of the Canadiens, he is a businessman who is currently responsible for more than half a billion dollars invested along with his partners who backed his bid and he’s managed to convince these partners he should take over as head of the team’s business operations. If I was a businessman with basically every cent I had tied up in an investment, I’d probably want to exert a little influence over that myself, perhaps by being in charge.

I think the lack of search for a GM was a mistake, but I’m willing to give Gauthier the benefit of the doubt rather than crown him Rejean Houle 2 with less than a year on the job.

146. Olay Olay says:

well if he is a real fan he knows there are a bunch of stiffs running the operation making one blunder after another and this is his 3rd move the first – 1-signing all those new free agents last summer, 2- telling gainey step aside please, 3- boivin here’s 12 months notice and 4- when season goes bad and fans are enraged at price ansd gauthier/gainey he will fire the lot of them. you think he doesnt see how poorly habs have drafted since 2003 or how picks in first 2 rounds these two have traded away.

147. SlovakHab says:

Don’t forget Gomez !!

148. Bugs says:

First off, the white towels were stupid and lame; it shoulda been red, white’n blue towels. Hello? Red, white’n'blue? Remember? Anyone at the controls? Hello? Red, white’n'blue, goofballs!

Secondly, YES to vuvuzelas. The idea of driving the rest of the League even more insane with our obnoxiousness (did I spell that word right?) and furthermore, being the FIRST to do so in the NHL, pleases me to no end.

FMMMMMM-WOW-WOW-MMMMM-WOW-WOW-MMMMMMMM!!!

Oh yeah, baby!

149. WarHero says:

On a good note, has anyone watched the footage of Alex Avtsin? Holy crap this kid looks freaking good!

150. nickster13 says:

I dont know, thats a big assumption! John Ferguson junior grew up for stanley cups(cup?) and we all know how he turned out!

151. Bugs says:

Taste-wise, I can’t help but agree.

Moneymakin-wise, surely not. Molson makes money, don’t they? (don’t actually know; only ever drink the stuff at the Bell)

152. Bill J says:

New footage ???? — I thought it started tomorrow ?

Link it :)  Be cool to have some positive talk :)

153. Olay Olay says:

john fergusons hand were tied by the teachers union

154. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Scotty Bowman is just an advisor with the Hawks,  same job he had with the Wings.  He wanted the oppurtunity to work with his son who is the GM,  what father wouldn’t want that?

155. Bugs says:

You mean the footage of selected seconds within his hours of gameplay? No.

But I saw one of PJ Stock once. Friggin A-MAZE-ING. How he never lasted in this league is beyond me.

156. Bill J says:

LMFAO!!!!!!!

And you say “Line up for the Kool-Aid” lmfao if you believe THAT – you’ve had too much “Kool Aid” yourself ;) lmfao!

I would of thought YOU the KING of conspiracy theories would have already come to the proper conclusion:

He was a Habs plant, sent to Toronto to sabotage the team into the depths of H3LL!!! Mwhahahahahaha!

Now his apprentice from the USA has been sent to Toronto to sabotage the “2nd” best Canadian franchise even further.

lol

157. JIMVINNY says:

Tony, you still suck at posting.  -1 out of 10.

158. nickster13 says:

the point i was more trying to illustrate (yes i admit i got that one wrong) was that other teams dont just hire the most convenient guy, Molson should have done what was best and hired a shrewd hockey mind first and a good marketer second, since the habs can sell themselves right now just fine

159. Olay Olay says:

like tony marinaro said this morning, “if boivin hired for example yzerman there was no way stevie y would take orders from him”  gauthier went to school with boivin they are friends from years and years ago.

if this team implodes next season the lot of them will be outta here! and it should have happened long long before.

160. Bill J says:

Well it is kinda ironic that when hinting at nepotism, you use a clear case of nepotism with the Bowman’s lol

gave me chuckle I must admit ;)

161. SeriousFan09 says:

Tory Marinaro is a giant ego case who pollutes Team 990 on a daily basis with his BS. Tried to show his expertise by asking his pharmacist about how Markov should be able to play with an injury, that’s cutting-edge sports journalism right there.

162. Olay Olay says:

hen your the OWNER – you ultimately get to choose who the boss is.

thats right and by next year he’ll have cleared out all of this old boys clique! note- way older than him.

163. Tony243 says:

i am the tony the other one is a cheap imposter, bg and pg 47% 88 points standing pat, how much mor proof do you need!!!

164. Olay Olay says:

yup theyre all idiots but you!

165. ZepFan2 says:

Yup, posted that below

166. WarHero says:

Done :)

167. SeriousFan09 says:

If he was bloodline-obsessed, we’d have Blake Geoffrion on our prospect chart (who we should’ve taken, Hobey Baker winner in NCAA hockey this year). We haven’t drafted any of Ray Bourque’s kids either.

Guy tried to give his son a break to get into pro hockey with a 3rd-round pick in a soft draft year, this is tinfoil hat garbage.

168. WarHero says:

Have you actually tried looking for more clips?

169. Bill J says:

Is your life THIS bad ?  That you would return to a site you where banished by ?

Wow.  Must be great to live in your shoes Voldemort, :(

170. SeriousFan09 says:

Well apparently you’re smarter than all of us by seeing through all these elaborate conspiracies, I was just trying to match wits with a great mind…

Marinaro solicited a completely unqualified opinion for his show and acted like he was doing a good job with it. He was being a jackass.

171. WarHero says:

I will no longer waste my comments on you negative Nancy :(

172. habs4last says:

his name is TONY not TORY!

and btw he is extremely knowledgable.

you’re just jealous and wish you knew 1/2 of what he knows.

173. Game 7 says:

Let me ask you this. Would you prefer Molson as the pres to make decisions for the team he owns or would you like to go back in time, see someone else buy the team and now have Pierre Karl Peladeau as the president? Molson owns the team, he knows how to run a business, I’m sure he’ll be just fine as a president.

174. Bill J says:

Your too witty & funny in your posts.

a Cheap knock off, sorry to say :(

lol

175. ZepFan2 says:

The bad spelling is good. You just don’t use the word “leftist” enough to be the poster who now will be known as…~

Keep workin’ at it though.

176. nickster13 says:

I dont know yet,i havent seen Molson’s in that capacity yet, but lets not imagine what could have been, lets imagine what could be, aka someone we KNOW is a good proven hockey mind

177. SeriousFan09 says:

Well I know if I want my prescription filled, I go to a pharmacist. If I want a medical opinion about a hockey player’s injury, I’ll ask someone who’s an M.D. and has experience in sports injuries.

178. HabFab says:

Sheldon looks way better in Speedos then Chris ever did and where is Bozo when all this clowning is going on?

179. Psycho29 says:

I’m having a friggin deja vu….It’s like ‘Dawn Of The Dead’ all over again!!!!

Sympathies to the Probert family, and get well soon to Mr.Demers…..

180. HabFab says:

Sh*t!. He is multiplying right in front of us…..

The horror!!!!!!

181. Tony243 says:

i was saving that choice insult for you, you leftie group thinking school yard bully, keep drinking the kool-aid hippy, i am right and all of you know it, you can ban me but you can’t ban stupidity, i’ll prove you all wrong, incompetants!!

OLAY!

BTW my fave player is Ian Cushenan. He scored 1 goal in the NHL. That’s the kind of player the Habs need today. A real role player.

182. ZepFan2 says:

Lmao

Not bad. You’re getting there!

Just a tad more idiocy and ya’ just might have it.

183. Bill J says:

Still too funny.

Sorry lol

184. smiler2729 says:

Maybe Carbo and JM had a problem with tough guys that refused to fight… BGL is a BDA (big dumb a$$)

185. WarHero says:

He started to lose his touch the Pitts, the process was just completed with the Habs. Anywho, time for some NHL 10

GO HABS GO!!

186. Bill J says:

Hmmmm Why do I have visions of “he who must not be named” yelling

TekSavvvvyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Hmmmmm I wonder…

187. G-Man says:

(Eerie Twilight Zone theme music begins)

Ladies and gentlemen, it is alive…

188. HabFab says:

The way I heard it was that Boone wiped his a** in a hot dog eating contest in the Press box and he swore off eating meat afterwords.

189. Olay Olay says:

agree with you

190. HabFanSince72 says:

You’re not making sense.

Boivin didn’t hire coaches or players. Gainey (and now Gauthier) did/do that, and they report(ed) directly to the owner.

Scotty Bowman is an adviser, Geoff Molson bought the team. Nothing whatsoever to do with each other.

191. HabFab says:

As usual totally impressed with your warped mind and Sybil impression…totally unreal!

Love it!

192. Storm Man says:

He is just happy today, He got a gold star from summer school.

193. Olay Olay says:

you know gauthier and/or boivin told molson beforehand that they were going to make that trade with halak and convinced him that gainey and gauthier and timmins were right about price from the day they drafted him. BUT now he sees these geniuses don’t even have price signed. he saw the anger across the city on halak not price being traded and what that might bring in the fall. the first has fallen today. the others are not far behind. what great news today for real habs fans!

194. HabFanSince72 says:

But Boivin does not hire the GM.

When Gillett owned the club, Boivin and Gainey were both hired by him, and both reported to him. Similarly, it is fairly clear that Gauthier was promoted to GM by Molson, and not by Boivin.

195. HabFanSince72 says:

You make me pine for Tony242′s lucid comments.

196. ZepFan2 says:

mmm, timbits…what? Timmins??

Nevermind. :(

197. Olay Olay says:

was a healthy scratch for the entire detroit-pittsburgh series and your brilliant gainey gave him an overpriced 3 year no trade deal!

198. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Look this isn’t Tony stuff. This is scientific. Gainey, Gomez, Gauthier, Georges laraque – What do you see? The letter “G”.

Geoff Molson. We’re screwed.

199. Bill J says:

Read this - and if you can not read french.

Google translate it.

Go educate yourself Voldemort.

200. ProHabs says:

Holy Cow George Larocque, would you shut up already. Nobody cares what you have to say. You were a big flop in Montreal. You were paid very good money to do a job that you refused to do. But of course it is everyone elses fault.

How much communication do you need from a coach, how hard is it to understand that when someone takes liberties with one of your teammates, it is your job to put that person in it place. It is not hard, you don’t need Carbo, Muller or JM to tell you this. You failed big time and should be ashamed of yourself that you didn’t take care of Lucic 2 years ago. You were too busy laughing and joking around with Carey Price on Cabby on the Street instead of earning your money. Please George, don’t say anymore, you sound foolish.

201. Olay Olay says:

wow is that ever funny

202. CharlieHodgeFan says:

they’re gonna be Souray they crossed us.

203. HabFanSince72 says:

Problem is we can’t have a parade down ste-catherine for earning the most.

Although having the players ride on top of floats while half buried in cash  would be an apposite way to clebrate the new NHL.

204. HabFab says:

Chicoutmi huh? Now it is starting to make sense…Carbo’s home town.Yeah indeed!

205. Olay Olay says:

because this one is a clique. i think molson knows it now and it will soon come apart.

206. Bill J says:

Are we suddenly on Sesame Street ?

lol

We went from the letter of the day being K a few short years ago, to the letter G.

BTW you forgot about Gill, Gionta, Gorges…

207. HabFab says:

Do not pass Go, but do go directly to your Doctor! They have drugs to
    control your problem :)

208. HabFanSince72 says:

I see. He didn’t fight ’cause Martin wouldn’t let him.

And all this time we thought he was  washed-up.

209. SeriousFan09 says:

What I find interesting, all the guys we’ve kicked couldn’t stop complaining, VGL, Sergei, Guimauve, everyone we picked up last summer on the market? Didn’t say a damn thing, they were professionals regardless of what team they left and how their seasons ended last year. Pouliot came here as an underperformer but I don’t recall him taking a couple articles to slag Jacques Lemaire in MIN.

That’s a good batch of players to have.

210. RetroMikey says:

Wow,  my wishes are coming true.  I wanted Sergei K gone and he’s gone!

I wanted Pierre Boivin gone, and now he’s going to be a goner!  Boivin, you’re fired!

Glad to see the Molson brothers are seeing the day of light and I am hopng several others including Timmins gone from this organization to bring this club of ours back to respecctability.

My condolences to the Probert family and here’s to a speedy recovery Jacques!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

211. WarHero says:

Amen, can’t blame Gainey for taking the chance on him though, at least he was cheap :)

212. Olay Olay says:

just a coincidence that when gainey was hired by gillet because his partner hicks recommended him and failed gm in a couple of other places none with a gainey team, gauthier out of the blue is hired as assistant gm. gauthier boivins schoolmate- just a coincidence ? yeah right! and was at the phony gainey retirement announcement where he said why general manager must speak a certain language- if gm is not his responsibility then why did he even comment on it! first one to bite the dust!

213. WarHero says:

Amen :) Great point! I think we chose the right guys to keep/get :)

214. HabFab says:

Sorry Chris, realize your a Yank and everything but in PQ it is the Surete’. Pronounced as in “sewer rat”

215. Bill J says:

Well if indeed your wishes are coming true, your signature has me worried…

Who the F! is “?” …  Youpi! ‘s illegitimate child ?

216. WarHero says:

That is not what he said, you might want to re-read the post :)

217. ProHabs says:

I guess that is what Carbo meant when he said that there were alot of bad apples in that dressing room 2 years ago. Glad to see those apples continue to be squashed.

I know it’s been said before but: BGL whines about Guy Carbonneau and Jacques Martin not liking tough guys

No BGL we don’t like vegan enforcers otherwisey known as the ghandi of goons!!!

219. Bill J says:

I will draw criticism for this one.

But Alan Walsh was also shipped out of Montreal, along with his Client.

220. HabFab says:

Don’t take it personal.

221. c.robillard says:

You also forgot Guillaume / Guimauve!!

222. RetroMikey says:

The F! ? is my 9 year old nephew who will don the Habs jersey and play goal and lead us to our 25th Stanley Cup since we have no competitive goalie in our system since Halak was traded.

You’ll have to wait another 11 years or so before you see a parade in Montreal.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

223. Bill J says:

You would.

224. Olay Olay says:

did you read what i said? i said obviously they would have told molson in advance of trading him if or if not they should do it – and guaranteed convinced him they were doing the right thing. but you give me a link dated june 25 today is july 5 and price has not been signed and teams hands are tied. anyone with a brain would think why didnt you first make sure you had one of them signed. now the two fools have put price in the drivers seat. and molsons knows it!

225. HabFanSince72 says:

Agreed.

over/under on how long it takes for Olay Olay and/or Ian_Cushena to get banned

227. HabFanSince72 says:

I was actually replying to Laraque’s interview.

228. kempie says:

Feels like I know you from somewhere. Can’t say I recognize the handle but you seem very familiar to me. Gimme a little while and it’ll come to me.

229. Bill J says:

Change your signature LIKE NOW

and start dreaming of Price hoisting a Cup.

Or I’m personally fixing your predicto-meter!

11 more years !!! No F-ing WAY!!!!

lol

230. Bill J says:

88 to 47 odds ?

231. ProHabs says:

You Knuckles Nilan knew how to do your job as did the late Bob Probert. My sympathies to his family.

232. Bill J says:

<sigh>

Where’s Harry Potter when you need him!

233. Tony243 says:

Oh that’s original.

234. HabFab says:

And this guy habs4last  ?

235. Olay Olay says:

question is how long will it take for gainey, gauthier, timmins, martin and brisebois to follow boivin out the door?

my guess? within a year from now

236. Mikey_39 says:

So I hear Tony got banned.  Out of curiosity, what does it take to get banned? From what I saw, Tony never made any offensive comments so why did he get banned? And Timo too…What’s the criteria.

237. ZepFan2 says:

Gainey Fired

238. Olay Olay says:

cant respond to that- typical!

239. RetroMikey says:

Hope you are having a good summer Bill J.

Can’t change my signature, uh-uh, no way!

Until Price proves to me during the season that he is capable of being No. 1 on our team and an elite goalie in the league, just maybe by Xmas I will change my signature.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

240. ZepFan2 says:

He spammed the boards with the same message.

241. Olay Olay says:

great comedians right here – lmao are you ever funny – you should be on just laffs or hbo

242. Olay Olay says:

that’s a good one

243. Bill J says:

Glad you caught my humor.

Hope you as well are having a good summer ;)

244. kempie says:

Anybody else find it’s starting to get a little more creepy in here lately?

245. kempie says:

It’s like killing cockroaches. You can never get em all.

246. Sheldon says:

In five minutes we’ll be in Vermont. You won’t be raggin’ on us once we set up Radio Free Timo!

Believe it or not it used to say Price a long time ago.

248. HabFab says:

Who is driving? Cause Sheldon doesn’t move that fast!!

249. Bill J says:

I remember just as Mikey remembers Price hoisting the Calder Cup too… As he has followed the Dogs rather closely :)

250. SeriousFan09 says:

Producing more spam than all 3 million Nigerian Princes with email accounts.

251. gK_HabsFan says:

Sorry… but it’s GANDHI

-GK-

252. CharlieHodgeFan says:

It’s a conspiracy theory. I have to avoid mentioning Gorges, Gionta or Gill. They’re too inconvenient. I’ve been reading HIO and learning…

253. JD_ says:

* Probie dies of a heart attack at 45 young years of age. Jesus Christ, I hate hearing about stuff like that. Seemed he had managed to get his life back in order after so many years of utter s***. Anybody who smacked Domi around on a regular basis is on the good ledger in my books. Heartfelt sympathies to his family.

* And, c’mon Jacques, get better soon, willya? Demers is probably driving the hospital staff apes*** with his incessant banter, which I will miss on RDS next season.

* Speaking of RDS, if rumours of Benoit “Niaiseux” Brunet’s ouster come to fruition, and Joel Bouchard moves into the broadcast booth with the Houdester, there’ll be a couple of openings for Alain “Ben Niaiseux” Crete’s roundtable segments. I hear Mario “Hostie d’Niaiseux” Tremblay’s looking for work.

(pauses to force back unanticipated regurgitation of recently consumed meal)

* Pierre Boivin is a straight-shooting, very bright manager and a darn thoughtful gentleman to boot. After all he’s done for the org, have no doubt he’s been handed a very, very fat cheque as he parts ways. Could probably retire if he wanted to, but likely won’t. This guy will be in huge demand in this city and will write his own story. Case in point: He accepted an invitation to join the Habs’ board. The tinfoil hat brigade – as SF09 has so aptly described it – will have to move onto other contrived backroom fantasies.

* If I was Geoff Molson, I’d probably have done the same thing. The decision may or may not be the right one, but it is wholly rational.

* BGL? Who cares? After the TekSavvy ads, it’s not like his rep can sink any lower.

* It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity.

254. Habs4ever Fan says:

Excellent news EXCELLENT

Now we can hire the  best men to run our team without regard to their language.

Now all we have to do is find a number one goaltender.

255. WarHero says:

Great post JD :)

256. Bill J says:

Agree with you on your first two points

LMFAO @ your Québecois adjectives!

Agree as well with all your remaining points.

257. Tony243 says:

add Olay and I and it’s an even 7

258. rogus says:

It’s too bad Carbo had to take the fall. He’s still a better coach than the penguin IMO.

259. Olay Olay says:

then you all should be banned! plus for every unfunny joke which is 99% of them – none of you are robin williams

260. ZepFan2 says:

Aha! We’ve found you…

Timo, Tony and Ian on the run

261. Olay Olay says:

from what? he’s only lending his assistance.

262. Shiloh says:

I thought I’d be over the shitty treatment of Halak and the undeserved elevation of Price that marked Gainey’s Reign of Error – I consider PG and JM an extension of the Gainey regime. But I’m not over it. We discover a true Number 1 clutch goalie who the team plays well in front of and PG trades him as quickly as he can, without so much as a word to the guy. What kind of organization doesn’t reward good play? What kind of organization treats some players, but not others, preferentially?

Over 7 million for Gomer and Halak for a couple of prospects – that’s a sorry record.

263. Olay Olay says:

do you really think geoff molson doesnt know habs won a measly 24 games of 82 in regulation time, made the playoffs with least points ever under this format 88, won 47% of their games this year – do you think he doesnt know it? do you think thats great work? boivin was just the first one to bite the dust!

264. Olay Olay says:

when it’s auld who is the #2 yes price can easily be the #1

265. Olay Olay says:

just laffs

266. Habs4ever Fan says:

Agreed

You can overthink a situation and trading Halak and going with a consistantly inconsistant and unreliable Carey Price is a prime example.

267. HabFanSince72 says:

I could be wrong, but I doubt you’ve ever over-thought anything.

268. likehoy says:

tony was pretty offensive…

he was calling everyone “nitwit, idiot, koolaid drinkers, and incompetent”

e.g. “you nitwit koolaid drinkers worship the 3 idiots BG, PG and i forget the third one…timmins or boivin??”

269. Olay Olay says:

especially incompetant

270. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Hopefully they delete you soon.

271. Olay Olay says:

you could be wrong? well think it over again! geoff molson has had nothing to do with this team from after 1971 and before! you who is satisfied with losing!

272. SeriousFan09 says:

Even in that short clip, Chretien is still more coherent than any troll that frequents the site.

273. bwoar says:

You do know Robin Williams is a notorious joke stealer, right?  And that your posts are the same run-on act under a different name?

274. TripleX says:

PLEASE SAY IT ISN’T SO!

Iran’s Ministry of Culture has officially banned the MULLET!  Now they have really gone over the line.

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

275. nightmare_49 says:

Bob Probert’s tough story ended far too soon

BY MITCH ALBOM
       THE FAMOUS FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

What is a man? Bob Probert, the son of a Windsor cop, was the most maddening athlete I have ever covered. Charming. Irresponsible. Repentant. Hard-headed.

And now he’s gone.

276. nightmare_49 says:

Elliotte Friedman’s Inside Hockey Feature On Bob Probert    (a must vid.)

via Dave Stubbs on Twitter

ruefrontenac.com reports Jacques Demers had successful hernia surgery, should be out of hospital by Wednesday.

277. BJ says:

On yesterday’s news: I photographed games involving Probert and the one thing that comes to mind is this guy was as big in civies as he was in uniform he was king sized. The guys that took him on must have been thinking about it twice. Condolences to family and friends.

Jacques Demers has been in an Ottawa hospital for 1 week following stomach surgery. Wishing him the best as well.

And finally a great interview done in good taste on CKAC by Jean-Charles Lavoie with Georges Laraque. He brought out a lot of facts and some insider info on the goings on in the dressing room. I enjoy that he is candid and took the time to give a clearer picture of both his situation and the teams policies. Like him or not the man comes across as sincere and truthful. There was nothing of the usual redundant clichés. The main points that come to mind are a) How divided the room was in his first year b) That famous game in New York vs the Rangers when Pouliot fought, he really wanted to get on the ice to help out despite his pleadings to Muller, the coach insisted on keeping him on the bench. He realized right then and there that his time with the Habs was over. He says that Martin does not like “strong men” and has never had them on his teams and that was partially why the Sens could never get by the Leafs come playoff time, they were intimidated. On Carbonneau’s poor communication skills, players had to go through Gainey to be heard. He very much likes the present team but says that they need more toughness (I agree) and that playing the Rangers will not be easy next season with Boogard in the line-up (we should make a pitch for Artyukin).

I was basically left with the impression that he is a genuinely nice guy with off ice concerns about humanity. He does not know if he will be playing in the NHL, he has received offers at around $700,000 (he went through the math on air and enumerated the deductions and costs that a player has in the NHL and he would be left with something in the $200,000 + per season. He has better offers from Europe (all costs are covered over here included taxes, car, housing, travel etc.) and will make a final evaluation and take a decision shortly. I for one wishes him the best of luck with both on and off the ice projects. I sure wish his stay here had turned out differently but I have a clearer picture now on what really went down. There was a lot more but I think for those interested that those were the main points. He was asked if they voted on a captain who would he vote for? The answer Laraque gave was Brian Gionta (I can’t disagree with that).

278. BJ says:

BGL was asked about “the code”. And he explained that he was not given the green light by Martin to just drop them, he explained the reasons why and it came down to suspensions, lost salary and lack of support from Martin. He said that while he was in Pittsburgh coach Therrien accepted his role and made use of it when necessary. I’m missing additional subtleties here but he explained it clearly. As for the Lucic incident, Lucic did not want to fight him under any circumstance and the instigator rule is a big restriction both in potential suspensions and salary loss. Thats why “the code” and he added that even when both players agreed to drop them you still had to be careful not to be tricked into dropping them alone. So the job of an enforcer is not as easy as it was prior to the rule change.

279. HabFanSince72 says:

In fairness, the instigator rule pretty much means the other guy has to agree to fight you. And not many agreed to fight Laraque.

280. Ed says:

Thanks for the link Bryan. That is a great video on Probert. My condolences go out to his wife, & his 4 young children.

It’s good to hear that Demers is doing well.

281. twilighthours says:

It’s been posted before but people seem to have forgotten: In that ugly Rangers game, after Avery and the pack of clowns ran roughshod over Markov and others, Laraque was thrown on the ice.  He was given his chance to respond.  He didn’t.  He could have (and should have) went berserk on the nearest Ranger player, but didn’t.  Enough garbage from Laraque.

If he didn’t like his coach then he should have played for his teammates.  When they needed him he wasn’t there.  Josh Gorges said as much.

282. Natrous says:

In fairness, if a teammate gets crushed or run in any form of dangerous manner, screw the instigator rule and do your job if you’re a tough guy. Laraque wasn’t hired to hold pucks in the corner or block shots from the point, he was hired to put the fear of God into the opposition and he failed miserably at that as a Hab.

283. Habs Fan in Oil Country says:

I just have to say in regards to BGL complainig about not being able to play his role, he seriously needs to give his head a shake. You do not politely ask guys to fight with you, you take care of business to set a tone that your guys won’t be messed with without consequences.

And on another note, I live out in Terwillegar, which is a new suburb in Edmonton, and a couple of months ago I was at Walmart with my husband and as we were checking out, none other than BGL walks by. He looked like he was seriously out of shape and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what he looked like when he was playing for us. It could explain all the back problems if there is more body fat than muscle. Looking back on it now I should have had him autograph a Walmart flyer. We are still laughing about it!

284. WarHero says:

A lot may have been said about this already , but I like the fact that Geoff is taking over as President. Under the Molson Family leadership the Habs have won about 20 Stanley Cups. Seems like a winning combination to me. I would also think that Geoff can bring new and fresh ideas to the table. It’s not like he doesn’t know anything about the game or the franchise, heck, I’d go so far as to say that his knowledge may be greater then that of any poster on here. Feel free to disagree

285. SeriousFan09 says:

Molsons have caused a lot of trouble in the last 30 years as well, Grundman over Bowman for GM in 79, the Houle administration of the 90s. The two worst management decisions of the last 30 years happened under ownership relating to Molsons. Past 30 years, Molsons are 50-50 for us.

286. Olay Olay says:

The ONLY way the Molson’s can change anything is by completely removing the current on ice hockey management regime. Completely- from Boivin who  may just be President but hisd long ties to Gauthier indicate something else, Gainey who still is there assisting his former assistant, Timins – Gauthier’s employee in Ottawa who has done terrible drafting but Gauthier says will be here for years and Brisebois their cap exert who allowed the team to get into this position again this year. Only way is to clean house of the lot of them. Let a new GM and coach build around the players here who have some talent. Boucher was probably thrilled to get away from this clique because he knows they won’t be here much longer and he will be the first person Molson’s looks to coach the team. Today – first sign of what is to follow hopefully.

287. HabFanSince72 says:

Joachim Low, German football team manager,, getting ahead of himself: “Our analysis was quite clear: we could only win the World Cup by
    playing attacking football and making life difficult for other teams …
    We planned the World Cup all the way to the final.”

You know, another German once planned the invasion of Russia all the way to Leningrad. Even had invitations printed for the victory celebrations. How did that pan out?

288. ooder says:

u can thank my ancestors for that!

——————

88 is the new 23

289. pmaraw says:

you’re talking about an austrian actually.

290. Bugs says:

Yes, both situations are exactly the same.

Well done.

291. Puck Bard says:

I go away for 10 hours, Probert dies and everything goes to crap…

What-The-Hell is going on here?

It’s all going according to plan PB, patience jackass, patience!!!

293. WarHero says:

TSN is now reporting that Probert has passed away. RIP! He will forever be missed!

294. MTLForever says:

probert was one of my dads favourite players. RIP Bob

Awesome site. I went through more top 10 lists then ever. Humans are still the most dangerous predator.

296. Bill J says:

Man at this rate, they may as well rename that franchise

The Tampa Bay Southern-Canadiens.

297. likehoy says:

article on avtsin…don’t know if it was posted but it says he outraced his closest competitor in a 10 lap race by a whole lap.

298. Bugs says:

Well, who were his competitors? No-name Ivans or Pavel Bures?

May I please SEE the bastich play against PRONGER afore makin a knot in my tampon?

299. JasonM says:

Best fight ever : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiMJdl7k9sU

RIP Mr. Probert.

Kudos to Domi of taking it like a man.

300. WarHero says:

Sick! Reminds me of Probert-vs-Coxe, check that one out

301. showey47 says:

Trioy crowder often said to me that bob probert was by far the best fighter he every faced.

302. Olay Olay says:

when did the molsons company start running the team? i mean when did the molsons family stop running it before them?

303. WarHero says:

Good points :) Every team has had bad management though, it’s just a fact of the game no matter who the owner is (unless his name is Mike Illich, lol)

304. WarHero says:

The Family owned them from 51 to 71 I think, then 78 to 03 was under the company

305. Olay Olay says:

So it was always good under the family! Great news today! This is the first move and if Price falters and fans react the end of this regime is near. Great news today.

306. WarHero says:

Such negativity and speculation. I would say that Geoff had a hand in picking both Martin and Gauthier for their current positions. Like other GMs/Coaches, if they fail, they will get ousted. Simple business.

307. Olay Olay says:

Negativity? It’s the 2nd most positive move so far after the purchase of the team by the Molson brothers. Only probablem is it took them so long to get started but I really believe it will be completed by next June though it still will take a year for the new hockey people to get control. A complete cleansing at the hockey management level iis what the team needed for years, glad it is starting even now.

308. WarHero says:

News Flash: It started with Gillette and Gainey, hence our 5 trips to the playoffs since then :)

309. Tony243 says:

Such negativity and speculation. Must be trying to be me. Wannabe!!!

310. Tony243 says:

You should lay off the kool-aid.

311. Bill J says:

See to me – this is proof positive THIS guy is NOT “he who must not be named” – this post was actually quite funny lol

312. Olay Olay says:

you really are happy with mediocrity! never won a 2nd round series here in 7 and 17 years. in all other playoffs but one just sneaking in at 8 or once 7. and youre happy with that. and steinbrenner fired joe torre.vince  lombardi said ” a good loser is still a loser.”

313. Olay Olay says:

1- what position of gauthier? being now assisted by the man he was assisting? molson did not buy the team when martin already had been hired but gauthier martins longtime coach was behind it as red fisher said.

2- winning one 2nd round series in 17 means you have failed. yes coaches have been fired 2 of them by gainey, lever fired too scouts fired too, players sent away, assistant coachs fired but 30 years in nhl loser gauthier is still here, and gainey has nothing to be proud of hois record of lastt 7 years here and only because of halak does he still have this assistants job at gm’s pay level still today! when they traded halak they hastened their own departures from this team. great news molsons gave boivin 11 months notice for his dismisal!

314. ooder says:

bugsy don’t you know all russians skate like the wind?

——————

88 is the new 23

315. Bugs says:

Which wind?

The light summer one over the glade?

Or Katrina?

316. ooder says:

depends on they’re chasing :)

——————

88 is the new 23

317. Bugs says:

They’re chasin a reason for me to get excited about any of’em.

318. ABHabsfan says:

Depends if they are in a contract year.

319. ooder says:

i meant to say.. depends on WHO they’re chasing :)

aa damn it, jokes ruined

ma bad

——————

88 is the new 23

320. shootdapuck says:

Naw the wind resulting from two bowls of borscht, a large Baltica beer and half a ring of Kubie!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

321. SeriousFan09 says:

Yeah, because North Americans never chase the money…

322. Bugs says:

So try again. There was an idea there somewheres.

323. likehoy says:

well maybe he’s as fast as pavel bure and his teammates are only as fast as plekanec!

either way avtsin looks like a terrific skater

324. 100HABS says:

In 87-88 Bob Probert had 29 goals, 33 assists and 398 pim!!! How did he pot 29 goals while in the box for the equivalent of almost 7 games??

RIP

325. WarHero says:

1 great passer comes to mind, Steve Yzerman :) Probie was always on his line in those days :)

326. Chuck says:

What, he couldn’t manage another roughing penalty to make it an even 400?   :)

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

Boivin got fired because he forgot to cancel the order for the new supply of Speedos: Halak Edition.

328. BKAK72 says:

I worked security at Maple Leaf Gardens in the early 90s and can speak from first hand experience BOB PROBERT was a kind and giving gentleman to the fan, most especially kids.  He would stop to sign autographs and take pictures often at the expense of a waiting bus outside on Carlton St.

May God rest his soul.

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

329. Bugs says:

He dang well SHOULDA been signing autographs and takin pictures with the kids after the game, he had just beaten ten kindsa sh*te outta their dads.

330. kempie says:

I can remember watching him patiently signing for hours in the hot sun.

331. punkster says:

He’s one of those I had earmarked for trade last fall and through the year. However since the playoffs I’ve had a change of heart in that I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a while. He does have some talent when he focuses on playing and not yapping and taking dumb penalties. Not a whole bunch of penalties mind you, just seemed to be at inappropraite times. But I suppose the entire team was guilty of that throughout the season. Like I said, I’ve had a change of heart so, Go Laps Go!

FREE TIMO!

332. punkster says:

I see Tony made it back with new IDs. Where are HH and Puck Bard when you need them?

FREE TIMO!

333. ZepFan2 says:

I’m not buying it.

I think it’s somebody screwing around.

- Sam Pollock

I still have 3/4′s of a bottle of Glenfiddich at the ready for the next gun fight. Nothing like a few shots of whiskey to get the old aim and quick draw edge back a la Clint Eastwood in the Unforgiven.

335. Sheldon says:

I’m here for you!

336. A. Berke says:

I wish a speedy recovery to M. Demers and my condolences to Probert Family.

R.I.P. Probie.

Ali B.

337. smiler2729 says:

This place is becoming ___________ (fill in the blank).

338. habs4ever2894 says:

Boring??

339. Bugs says:

of a duchess?

340. punkster says:

1. entertaining

2. redundant

3. tonier

FREE TIMO!

341. Chorske says:

circular.

342. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Exotic? Mind-blasting? Erotic? Eyes-googling? Mind-rotating?

343. W35T5ID3 says:

1.Habtacular.

2.the jam in Larry Camel’s toe.

3.MapleLaughable

4.The Best Damn Website Ever!

344. punkster says:

LOL…you may be right. It just seemed like the phrases and quasi rants were starting to look familiar. Imitation being the best form of flattery?

FREE TIMO!

Screwing around on HIO? None of that going on over here. This here is a serious site my friend. You must’ve been mis-informed.

346. Bill J says:

I think Tony243 is a copycat who was created to ridicule “He who must not be named”

however – I do suspect THIS one is the real deal resurrected

Ian_Cushenan

If I remember correctly of the “He who must not be named”, in his favorite players: Ian Cushenan

His post earlier today certainly is a clear reminder of “He who must not be named”:

As a fan this means nothing. A French
    Canadian will be put in the position so nothing will change. This is a
    great oportunity for Rejean Tremblay possibly. The mindset of hiring a
    French speaking coach will never go away in this city. The biggest
    problem with this team is the trio of incompetents: Gauthier, Gainey and
    Timmens. They have made numerous decisions this summer so far that have
    been blunders. Starting with Halak to St.Louis.

Everyone line up
    for a glass of cool-aid…..

347. Chuck says:

Man, that sure sounds familiar. A little too close for comfort, if you ask me!

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

348. ZepFan2 says:

Yeah I saw it.

I still think it’s another poster trying to see how many jump at the bait.

Not buying it!

349. Tony243 says:

you are 47% correct,,, i give you 88 more tries to figure it out until then i am standing pat…

350. ZepFan2 says:

How do YOU know what I’m not doing while I post?

Tony got outed as Ian so now he’s got a new ID >> Olay Olay

Poor dude is trying hard but the only way his posts wont get noticed is if he tries to be positive. He’s trying but he just can’t resist. Once he types bg or pg it sets off all those bad memories.

352. Bill J says:

Yeah after reading a bit more of Olay Olay – I would tend to agree with you on that one too.

353. punkster says:

Hey, what the heck is up here tonight? We haven’t seen this many multiple Tony’s since Zero Mostel and Phil Silvers. Hope there’s a culling of the herd soon.

FREE TIMO!

354. Bugs says:

Culling is mean; better to keep track of’em by brandin.

Got me a cattle-prod that says “HIO Selected Brand Real Deal 100% Red Troll Beef With Side-helping of Snark and Snide from the Finest North-East Grazing Herds this side of the Saint-Lawrence With Seal of Approval from Governor-General Such’n'Such Number #..”.

That oughta do’er, boy!

355. punkster says:

My best wishes to Jacques for a speedy recovery. One of a kind that man.

FREE TIMO!

356. punkster says:

Brian, I told you before, your listing Juha Lind as fav player was a tipoff. Though I did break out in a cold sweat for a few minutes ;)

I am stopping off at the SAQ on the way home. Looks like I am going to need more ammunition.

358. Sheldon says:

Gilles Poisson and Kilroy have escaped as well. Once we hook up with Timo and Tony all we need to find are two more of our ilk to resurrect The Maginificent Seven.

359. Chuck says:

Be afraid, HI/O. Be very, very afraid.   ;)

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

360. Tony243 says:

I am only joining if it’s called the The Magnificent Forty-Seven Percent!!!

361. ZepFan2 says:

Lmao

362. Bill J says:

More evidence this is NOT “He who must not be named” – ANOTHER funny post!!!

LMFAO

363. punkster says:

I don’t believe I wish to indulge in that imagery at this time. Too soon after dinner. Which, by the way, consisted of lobster, sushi and caesar salad followed by chocolate layer cake all in celebration of my son’s 22nd birthday. He loves a home cooked meal every month or so :) More Jazz Fest tonight. Damn this Montreal life is tough on a guy.

FREE TIMO!

364. Chorske says:

haha, figures that even your cattle brand would have paragraphs.

365. Bugs says:

Not a bad idea. Break into 9 paragraphs.

K-TSSSssssssssssss…

Ma-OOOOOOOOO!!!

366. crabvader says:

What’s new and exciting?!?

:D

I wish Bob were still around to hand some bonafide Probert ass kickings to some of these disrespectful idiots who have surfaced these past few days on HI/O.

367. Steve C. says:

hey Mio,

I don’t think it’s fair to be hard on Georges this time.  He might have been somewhat candid and said what was on his mind, but give him credit for waiting until his contract was bought back.  He could have REALLY thrown some guys under the bus, but didn’t.

And besides, what he said about Carbonneau and Martin, everybody knew that already, granted not necessarily the detail about what he said about New York.  For a journalist, I thought he was a great interview (as he always is), and thought it was very professional and honest of him to not just bitch about everything, but to actually give some good perspective and rounded out the interview on a positive note.

368. BJ says:

Good comments. I listened to the full interview and saw it as a positive.

369. G-Man says:

GL was on the ice after all that crap in NY. He did nothing about it. GL is as useless as teats on a bull. I hope he goes to Europe where he will become even more of a distant bad memory.

370. Bugs says:

“And then, Little Bill said ‘the same William Munney who dynamited the Pacific Railway Station, killin women anna children’n'all?’ And your friend said you was.”

371. Kooch7800 says:

RIP Bob Probert.  He was one tuff hockey player.  It is kind of ironic that BGL is whinning like a spoiled kid on a day when Probie passes on.  Probert could hit, fight and do whatever it took but contributed in whatever way needed and wasn’t a liability on the ice. BGL can’t skate, cant contribute offensively and used to fight.  Last year Kostopulous making less money had more fights and he got playing time….what does that tell you BGL.  The coaches don’t hate tough guys, they hate people who are a waste of space like he was.  Didn’t contribute offesively, didn’t fight and was to slow to body check anyone.  Why did he deserve more ice?

372. likehoy says:

2011…that’s a year away! i got excited!

373. HabFanSince72 says:

Pierre Boivin will step down as
    the president of CH Group on Jun 30, 2011 and turn the reins over to
    majority owner Geoff Molson. Boivin will remain as president of the
    Canadiens, however.

I love it how everyone here is happy about this. The reality is no one (me included) knows what this means. Probably nothing.

374. SeriousFan09 says:

For all the complaints I heard, I can’t recall one rumour saying Boivin stuck his hand into managing the daily operations of the Canadiens. Was overseeing the jersey retirements of Bouchard, Lach, Cournoyer, Moore, Robinson, Savard, Dryden, Gainey and Roy such a terrible thing? Does anyone not like checking out Centennial Plaza? Is the team not better off financially than it was a decade ago?

375. mike g says:

Same here…

It’s probably just a fancy/business way of saying, “Hey we didn’t sign Kovalchuk and Price’s negotiations are taking so much f’kin time to settle, so were gonna release a statement with a bunch of complicated sentences that mean absolutely nothing. It’ll confuse our fans and deflect their attention away from the UFA market for a little, while they try figure out wtf this means.”

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

376. avatar_58 says:

Who is everyone? When you posted this there were 2 comments including your own…?

377. smiler2729 says:

So? Is this good, is this bad? Am I a businessman that knows how this will all come down?

We’re basically hockey fans here, if a story about the business side of things concerning the club comes down, please explain what consequences, if any, it will have on the success, or lack thereof, of the on-ice product… and THAT was written in my best legalese/businessese.

Yawn! When’s Price and Moore gonna sign? When the AK46 gettin’ unloaded?

Pierre Boivin’s my mom’s cousin. That’s my claim to fame… yawn.

378. mike g says:

I once saw Pierre at Holt Renfrew… Can I be famous too?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

379. lavie says:

As a Habs fan, this is the last thing I would care about (the position of president of Canadiens).

380. A. Berke says:

Of course none of us know what the future will bring but IMO, this is a very noteworthy change coming up in a year.

Hope it’ll turn out for the best (language restrictions for hiring a coach comes to mind!).

Ali B.

381. Curtoph says:

I thought it was taking so long because he was out in BC and he had lost his cell phone a long time ago? Maybe that is all that is taking it so long…

382. mike g says:

I heard they settled on a contract by using only the mail/postage delivery method for the information of the offers…

Now, CP is heading to MTL from BC on one of his horses…Name of the horse: Cash n’ Carey.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

383. HABS_FAN_NS says:

I am happy with this. I just wish they would totally get rid of him and bring in someone who thinks winning is more important that politics. If no one knows what I’m talking about go back and watch the press conference when PG was hired where he basically said being french is just as important as winning.

384. A. Berke says:

But of course

Ali B.

385. smiler2729 says:

Cool, we’re both Boivinfamous.

386. zozotheclown says:

Err…..ok

Aside the French first coaching philosiphy Boivin has done a great job marketing this team, of course since he’s staying on as Canadiens president I guess he’ll keep doing that job, maybe, I dunno…

387. kempie says:

Where is Tony when you need him?

388. SeriousFan09 says:

Celebrating how 1/3rd of the Axis of Evil is going to be deposed I guess.

389. SeriousFan09 says:

double.

390. Tony243 says:

Standing pat.

391. HabFanSince72 says:

They were popping champagne on the other thread.

392. mike g says:

Aaandds nowwwwwwwws wuur drfunk!@!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack