Boivin to step down as CH Group president

The Canadiens have just announced that Pierre Boivin will step down as the president of CH Group on Jun 30, 2011 and turn the reins over to majority owner Geoff Molson.

In other news, Jacques Demers is in the hospital and Bob Probert has died.

• Forgotten but not gine: BGL whines about Guy Carbonneau and Jacques Martin not liking tough guys

The team’s release:

MONTREAL, July 5, 2010 – The Board of Directors of CH Group, the holding company that owns the Club de
hockey Canadien, the Bell Centre and evenko, announced today that it has adopted a succession plan to
ensure a smooth transition in its corporate leadership at the conclusion of the next fiscal year, on June 30,
2011. This is in accordance with Mr. Geoff Molson’s decision to assume the position of President and Chief
Executive Officer.
The plan calls for Mr. Pierre Boivin to stay on as President and CEO of Club de hockey Canadien and evenko
until the end of the transition period. He will work closely with Mr. Molson, who will assume Mr. Boivin’s duties
on June 30, 2011.
Mr. Geoff Molson, Chairman of CH Group, underscored the importance of Pierre Boivin’s contribution to the
organization’s success.
“From the moment he was hired by Molson Inc., eleven years ago, Pierre undertook to transform the
organization by modernizing it, developing fan passion and loyalty, particularly through the team’s centennial
celebrations, and creating value in all of our sports and entertainment operations,” Geoff Molson stated. “We
have been able to count on his loyalty and unfailing support since we purchased the team and both the Board
of Directors and I greatly appreciate being able to rely on his expertise, experience and cooperation during the
coming year to ensure that our plan is executed successfully. To this end, we have invited Pierre, and he has
accepted, to join the board of directors of CH Group.”
For his part, Mr. Boivin underlined his attachment to the organization. “Ever since I took on the management
of the Montreal Canadiens and related businesses, I have had the privilege of working with owners and
employees who were passionate about hockey and entertainment, committed to the team’s success,
respectful of our fans and the entire community, and determined to create a unique experience for our patrons
at the Bell Centre. The confidence and unflagging support of our owners combined with the skills and
commitment of all of our employees allowed our organization to achieve ever more ambitious goals.”

1. WarHero says:

Indeed, don’t worry about Price or Laps, they will get done 🙂

2. Olay Olay says:

The GM was his schoolyard buddy!

3. Olay Olay says:

Couldn’t have said anything truer!

4. Olay Olay says:

You hit the nail right on the head. However they dont have halak to save them anymore!

5. Dintrox says:

It also means NJ is going to need to dump salary. They will be over by 4 -5 M and have 19 players signed. Not to forget that Parise is an RFA after next season.

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.

6. Olay Olay says:

Means they’ve already agreed to a nice fair deal for him. Somethoing that obviosly wasn’t going to happen here or possibly with Price either?

7. Olay Olay says:

All it means is another Eastern team did what it had to including those other earlier signings on defense in order to compete for the top of the conference, something Canadiens did not do as they have an unqualified capologist and GMs from before-cap era, who have put the team into this jam. Which may be even worse after a Price deal is finally done. A deal that should have been made prior to trading any goalie away.

8. WarHero says:

Me to, best scraper ever, hands down! I was just watching a bunch of his fights on YouTube … damn he could fight …!

9. WarHero says:

haha nice! In other arbitration news, from what I read, Halak is NOT going to arbitration 🙂 That’s good news for the Blues 🙂

10. crabvader says:

I’m bummed about Probert… ugh

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Niemi is going for salary arbitration in CHI. Apparently he doesn’t earn enough to keep buying Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson and Campbell all those gifts he gives them for making him look like a starting goalie.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

12. WarHero says:

We resign him next year with some of the funds from Markov and Hammer since they won’t be getting those big contracts again 🙂

13. Hockey Socks says:

I don’t think so, Twitter is fantastic. Information is available faster than ever before.

14. Olay Olay says:

If the team doesn’t make the playoffs he and the rest of his friends poorly running the on ice operation finally will be completely swept out the door. The first step.

15. Bob Barker says:

how is it different from reading about is in the obituary section  or on a Web site? Most twitter posts contain links to the article anyway.

16. StevieRay says:

Especially if he has a turn around year like Pleks did … gets rewarded like  Pleks  …6 years no trade @ 6 mil a year …

What’ll we do then ….he certainly is capable,especially with kid brother sk gone .

17. smiler2729 says:

Probie was one of my favourite players (got a Red Wings #24 jersey hanging in the basement), I hope he comes through. Heard he cleaned up his act in the last decade so this would be awful news if something bad happened.

18. mike g says:

You know we live in a F-up society when “Twitter” is reporting deaths of human beings…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

19. SeriousFan09 says:

That’s… damn, just wrong. 45? The guy didn’t even have 10 years in retirement.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

20. mrhabby says:

iam not sure what boivin did but if this is all about getting rid of the old and adopting new strategies and new ideas iam all for it.

21. The Cat says:

Long may you toil Likehoy!

22. New says:

A. Kostitsyn will be playing for contract this year. He will do fine no matter where he is.

23. New says:

M. Boivin brought enthusiasm and concern for the future of the Canadiens during his tenure. I am glad he is staying on to show Mr. Molson the ropes, and ease the transition. Thanks M. Boivin.

24. Dintrox says:

TSN is reporting he was sent to hospital without vital signs after a boating accident near Windsor.

25. Storm Man says:

This is very good news.

26. nightmare_49 says:

Earlier : via Windsor Star

Former NHL forward Bob Probert has been rushed to hospital after collapsing in a boat on Lake St. Clair Monday afternoon, AM800 CKLW is reporting.

Emergency crews performed CPR on the former Red Wings player on shore and transported the 45-year-old to Windsor Regional Hospital.

An OPP spokeswoman would not confirm the boating victim as Probert.

27. Dintrox says:

Signing Kovalchuk for that chunk of change and over that term. Could it be that Lou’s defensive style has warn on the ownership? Sure doesn’t sound like a deal Lou would make.

28. cautiousoptimist says:

1. – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  29. nightmare_49 says:

update 4:55pm, George Malik tweets,

CKLW says former Red Wing Bob Probert has died at 45 years of age.

30. The Big O says:

Finally some great news and a step in the right direction. Now hopefully Mr. Molson can try to keep politics out of the hiring process for future GM and executive positions.

31. VintageFan says:

Stepping Down?  Even in this euphemism-rich society, surely no one buys that?

But when you spend a Gazillion dollars to purchase CH, you get to do what you want.  And when in the first year you get an unexpected $27 million – you can “pay off” anyone and everyone.

Boivin is likely only the first.  There’s lots of bucks left in the warchest!

Joshie, you need a break from the far north, it is taking a toll on you by the sounds of your complaint. What! may I ask have you managed in the corporate world??

More Fan Summit Information

33. The Teacher says:

Retro Mikey must be happy LMAO

34. nightmare_49 says:

Habs – No Moves? No Problems! (for now) / from George Prax / Hockey Independent

There are two players that Habs fans would most like to see traded before the start of the 2010-11 season:

35. c.robillard says:

That marketing nonsense brings in huge revenues and high profit margins for the owners. Don’t expect to see a change anytime soon, unless the Molson’s decide they hate money.

36. Tony243 says:

37. GrimJim says:

Call Doctior Who

38. SlovakHab says:

yep, I know him..

39. GrimJim says:

You and Tony need to go for beers and a long talk…

40. likehoy says:

41. 100HABS says:

To all readers who get confused reading the previous post – the correction has been made in the article. I couldn’t edit so this should help remove the confusion…

42. likehoy says:

he’s trying to mess up the space time continuum.

43. kempie says:

This is becoming one of the funniest. most twisted things I’ve seen in  months.

44. avatar_58 says:

Money doesn’t buy happiness.

(Wait….yes it does)

45. 100HABS says:

Well, you can make pretty good money just being on the board of directors… so I wouldn’t call it getting canned. He also has a year to get another full-time job or set up work as a consultant on his own time. I bet he’s happy.

46. pic1983 says:

This is almost less of a news story than bob gainey stepping down for pierre gauthier while staying on as advisor.

47. avatar_58 says:

He pretty much will be in a few years of habs ownership

48. SlovakHab says:

I am happy Halak got traded and happy that the three monkeys have put together a good team, including your fav player Mike Cammalleri.

49. HabFanSince72 says:

I agree with the cat.

50. HabFanSince72 says:

Probably. I don’t listen to CKAC or TQS.

51. mike g says:

I’ll tell you what..

If I can purchase a business like the Habs, advertise for free, sell my beer that costs me 12 cents to make for 12$ a pop, sell 22 cent hotdogs for $4.50, and charge people 225$ to sit front row plus an invisible 7$ “service fee” for using your own ink to print out the tickets in your house…I think I’ll overpay a little bit too.

When you have people constantly overpaying for something you provide, you’re flying. The Molson’s won’t lose a penny with their purchase of the Habs.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

52. SlovakHab says:

Boivin will remain as president of the Canadiens.

53. HabFanSince72 says:

Sorry – I didn’t read the communique.

So he really is getting canned.

54. nunacanadien says:

One more year of supporting the three monkeys, gainey,gauthier and trevy, while they continue their stupid blunders…like Halak being traded…

55. The Cat says:

Kovalchuk and Boivin are pretty boring topics.

56. HabFanSince72 says:

I’d like them to cut out all the marketing nonsense during the games. It isn’t likely to happen.

57. 100HABS says:

That’s not what the communiqué says – that’s what Kevin Mio says. I think he misinterpreted.

58. HabFanSince72 says:

Problem is he is not a gazillionaire.

59. mike g says:

CKAC is the King of that, Mon Chum!!

They’ll go insane over anything and nothing. It’s a comedy show for me, especially when Jean-Charles is on. To listen to them talk about hockey is extreamly amusing…

But then when you stop and think about it, it’s sad lol. They’re talking hockey in MTL, are a bunch of idiots that bitche about language issues, yet get paid to do it in a hockey crazy market.

See why most fans are delusional in this city?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

60. 100HABS says:

Kevin – it seems to me Pierre will remain on the BOD after next June, not as president of the Canadiens.

Anyhow, this doesn’t change anything. The decisions that matter to the fans are made by the GM and I don’t expect that to change. I don’t really care all that much about their marketing decisions.

61. avatar_58 says:

Hey if I were a gazillionaire I’d overpay too. I would love me some habs ownership 🙂

62. HabFanSince72 says:

Boivin will remain as President of the Canadiens.

63. Tony243 says:

You should stop drinking koolaid. Jim Jones got banned. Those two stand patters still don’t know how to take this 88 point team with a 47% anywhere. Incompetants!!!

64. SeriousFan09 says:

Or the businessman who’s on the line for half a billion dollars would like to have a more direct hand in the operation of the team he owns.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

65. HabFanSince72 says:

The only two things I know about Geoff Molson are that he inherited a great fortune and he overpaid for the Montreal Canadiens.

66. crabvader says:

Tony, do you think people aren’t aware it’s you?

Are you a glutton for punishment?

67. HabFanSince72 says:

Actually there is way more obsession about language here than in La Presse or on RDS.

My guess is no one on “the other side” will care about this very much.

I suspect if anyone is paying attention to the two named individuals’ mother tongues  it’s the Gazoo readers.

68. mike g says:

Never go full retard, Ian…….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

69. J.T. says:

Hmmm…reads to me as though Boivin is only staying as Habs president until next year, then Molson takes his place.   I guess that’s what happens when you don’t return Larry Robinson’s phone calls.

70. mike g says:

If this news actually means something, I can’t wait to hear the french radio when I finish work…

They’ll start complaining again that Guillaume Poutine and all the francophones were/are being traded. They’ll bitche about how our roster is being built with HOCKEY PLAYERS who only speak english. Then they’ll start a dumb conversation about how a good’ol Quebecois francophone is gonna lose his job to another anglophone.

Even though both are born in Quebec, they’ll find a way to bitche about what just happened today lol..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

71. crabvader says:

Yay, now Kovalchuk can score 30g/season with the defensive-minded Devils.

72. crabvader says:

This is a fruitless move.

Boivin was a great PR guy. That was his job, to promote Habs hockey and he did it well (even though you don’t really need a kick in the ass to be a die-hard Habs fan in Montreal).

I’m indifferent.

73. joeybarrie says:

Doesn’t thi mean pretty much NOTHING to us. As president of the CH group his duties included exactly what that had anything to do with hockey and the Habs directly. As he is still going to be President of the Club, and not the GROUPE then doesnt absolutely nothing change in our eyes???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…