Bob does it his way

From Montreal singer/songwriter/entertainer/Habs fan Daniel Iorio, a compendium of Bob Gainey quotes, delicately laid over the music to Frank Sinatra’s timeless My Way.

Drop by Dan’s site here.

1. SmartDog says:

Painful. Absolutely painful.

“this is the time for the players to prove me right…. and for our coaches to take the players when they have and squeeze more out of this team…”

It’s been 15 years of trying to ‘squeeze more’ out of a 2nd-teir team. This ‘we can do it because we are the habs’ philosophy is WRONG, and just so much BS. I’m REALLY dissappointed that Bob has fooled himself into thinking there is nothing wrong with this team that a pep talk can’t fix. Wow. Yesterday was a sad day for the Habs.

~ Listen to the smart dog – he knows his poop!

2. davecessna says:

I sound like a broken record, but it’s going to get a whole lot worse.

3. SmartDog says:

Things wrong with this team:
    1. Lack of cohesion in the dressing room.
    2. Unstable morale.
    3. Inconsistant sometimes god-awful defense.
    4. Inconsistant goal-tending.
    5. Confused forward lines.
    6. Lack of size up the middle.
    7. Lack of premier power forward.
    8. Lack of grit from most players.
    9. No defensive coach. Questionable head coaching decision-making.
    10. Undisiplined play.

Yep, I LIKE this team!!!!!

I have an idea! Rotate through the line-up giving every player a forced 2-day break and a pep talk.

That’ll fix em! Stanley, here we come!

~ Listen to the smart dog – he knows his poop!

4. bolder says:

Once again BG missed the boat at the deadline. All this talk about the habs needed size up the middle never gets addressed. They will fail this year of their expectations and next year will be worse when most of the URF leave for other teams. BG did a decent job in recruiting good young talent during his so called 5 year plan … But he did not address the needs to be a true contender. Too much hesitation and poor decision making.

5. 1010 says:

Friedman’s theory is probably accurate. This team doesn’t have the parts. And a part or two isn’t going to carry them to the promise land. So, soothe their egos by stating publicly that you have faith in them. And privately you realize they don’t stand a snowballs chance in hell of beating the top four teams in the conference.
    Time for a five year plan….again.

GO HABS….

6. ZepFan2 says:

I think the Doors said it more eloquently:

“This is the end
    Beautiful friend
    This is the end
    My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans (centennial), the end
    Of everything that stands, the end
    No safety or surprise, the end
    I’ll never look into your eyes…again”(UFA’s)

——————————————-
    “I think when you talk about the Canadiens, you have to put the word family in front of it.” – Patrick Roy

7. Izzy says:

I am 49 years old. I have watched and cheered and bled for the habs since I was 5. I have all the jerseys….all the posters….all the paraphanalia. I can tell you the roster by name and numbers of any of the habs teams since the early seventies……I even sneaked in the players entrance of the montreal Forum many many years ago as a child, while Pete Mahovlich held the door for me, saying ” hurry bud!”……I’ve laughed, I’ve cried, even had my eyes fill with tears from a pride that runs so deep it has mistakenly taken the normal order of priorities to something that some may consider not normal. I plan trips around dates that the habs are playing so that I dont miss anything. My wife knows to ask if I have a game on before she asks company to visit on the weekend.The only game I have EVER missed was the famous “iced out” game a few years back due to the ice storm.( I drove 8 hours to be there from Fredericton,NB)…….

I may not be a high priced hockey mind that runs a team, or even coaches one for that matter, and I have never spoken out against anything that is or was HABS……but:

Bob……you’ve dropped the ball my friend. Your own team, by their own questions and curiosity yesterday, was dying for a spark….ANY SPARK….
    It didn’t have to be a blockbuster deal…it could have been something very small.

We’ve all played hockey Bob. We all know what it feels like when we’re picking teams as a kid with everyone lined up. We all know that feeling of elation that money or luck can’t buy when the captain of your team picks THAT GUY…..that guy with the bomb from the point that all but assures you a win today, and because of his presence alone makes you play batter and / or above your head.

Thats what your team was looking for at the deadline Bob. The letdown that they felt is exactly what showed up on the ice. They may be men Bob, but this is still a kids game. Dont tell me losing a second round pick next year would have destroyed the Habs as we know them.Even if you can’t see it, and it wasn’t your intent, you’ve made it look to outsiders like you don’t really care, AND to say that you’re happy with a team that has lost 15 or so of the last 20 games makes those same few start to believe that you don’t know how to fix it.

Last night was the first time in 20 years that I’ve stepped away from a hockey game before its completion missing the third period entirely.This weekend is the first weekend in at least that long that I am going away and will miss any and all games played, WITHOUT recording them.

I never thought I of all people could ever be this disheartened with the habs.My season ended yesterday, with the most glaring fumble by any GM in the history of the Habdom.

I know also that, this doesn’t hurt you Bob, and that isn’t my intent. This takes no dollars from your pocket. I do know however that if someone with the dedication to the Habs as myself feels this way, you’ve certainly lost the respect and admiration of many of the “now generation” fans.

Marc True