Blue Jackets offer Boucher coaching job

According to RDS, the Columbus Blue Jackets have officially offered Guy Boucher their head coaching position.

If he were to accept the job, Boucher would become, at 38, the youngest head coach in the National Hockey League.

The view from Columbus.

•  •  •

Louis Leblanc’s rights have been traded from Chicoutimi to Montreal.

This paves the way for Leblanc to leave Harvard and play in the Q under the watchful eyes – albeit fewer of them, after the scouting purge – of the Canadiens.

Leblanc could attend McGill while playing for the Juniors.

Chicoutimi got Montreal’s first-round pick in the 2011 midget draft and 18-year-old forward Guillaume Asselin.

1. Omit says:

What makes you think you’re the only one with inside knowledge?  Thinking one has exclusive information is a tad arrogant and defensive in an argument.  If you ever go to a summit, I’ll gladly trade story for story with you.  You might be surprised that you’re not the only one who knows things about the Habs.

2. Omit says:

I never used the word s**t.  I just used 4 asterisks.  You interpreted it that way. Sorry if I offended you, but you’ve repeated this so many times and you seem to have a mental block because of your dislike for Boivin. You’re normally a smart guy, but this fixation is blinding you about his presence and power on the team.  He is only a suit.  Ask anyone in Montreal besides the oddball fan and they’ll tell you.

3. RetroMikey says:

You calling me a liar?

I may live in Hamilton and you in Montreal but I know more than you in terms on how the team is being operated behind closed doors based on my contacts in the organization I;ve know many years  which I will not name. and it is none of your business.

Dream on Omit like other fans.  You can’t handle the truth!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

4. RetroMikey says:

Like I said PM me and we;ll make a wager,  by the way, I lost reapect in you as a Hab fan when you directly reply to comments like mine as s**t.

You have class.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

5. andrewberkshire says:

Those three packaged together specifically are almost impossible to get a good trade for, as only AK46 gives us any bit of cap relief, and with that you’re looking at only getting one player back. It’s at the point where it’s too much to give up for a good player, but not enough of a package for a great player.

If you add a 1st round pick we might be able to pry away Byfuglien and Sharp from Chicago is Niemi continues to implode. Other than that there isn’t much I see out there. I’m assuming that Pleks is resigned so we need wingers and not centers.

6. punkster says:

Good point. Longer term for sure. So like I asked, who would you trade those 3 for IF you could get the right term and right person?

7. andrewberkshire says:

Dave, the issue is getting better long term. No one is saying that the players involved in the deal is unfair, the problem is that if we make that trade, we’re giving up Price and two young players who, although they haven’t worked out here, they’re good players, for two guys we’ll have for ONE season. Forgive me for being a bit naive perhaps, but there’s no way in hell I would trade Price for anyone who’s only going to be here for a year or two max. There’s no rush to trade him so there’s no reason to get raped in a trade.

8. camel_larry says:

Gimme a break. AK could too, playing with backstromm.

9. punkster says:

I just answered Mike G above with a similar response. It’s not necessarily Semin but it is necessary to get a big forward and he is one of the candidates. Issues? Sure, but are they greater issues than the collective blah we see from Price and the Ks? Don’t give me future and potential, Andrew. I’m talking RFN. Semin IS…Price and the Ks MIGHT BE.

Now give me a better choice, a player you would accept for Price and the Ks. Would you take Crosby? Ovi? Stamkos (now there’s a thought!)? Kovalchuk? Marleau? None of these guys are really possible (apart from maybe Kovalchuk) so who would you take for those 3?

10. crabvader says:

Or unless he wants the Habs to make a move.

11. punkster says:

You started with the finals stuff, I only followed it up. Forget it. My only point was to suggest having an 80 plus point scorer with 40 plus goals would be worth giving up 3 duds…doesn’t have to be Semin, could be anyone else who fits that bill. Now, given Semin’s lack of production in the playoffs I, too, would be hesitant to take him. But as I also said these 3 Habs gave us nothing in the playoffs so the only stats of value may be the regular season. But again, it’s not specifically about Semin, it’s about unloading 3 uinderperfromers for a big scorer.

Man, the angst on this site around getting ahold of a big (as in large size) forward who can score is as big as the Price/Halak debate. Semin is a big scorer. He comes with issues (not a playoff performer so far, can’t ecpect to get more than a year contract out of him, possibly a dressing room issue) but who out there fits the bill of being the perfect one that comes with all upside and no issues? Semin is one of the names that should be considered.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

Yeah, funny how being 40 years old means maybe you’re not up to being a 1st or 2nd line forward anymore, where does Fedorov get off slacking like that?

There are between 20-30 active Russians in the NHL in any given season, close to half don’t end up in the playoffs at times because of where their teams finish, leaving a couple handfuls of Russians to be scrutinzed and singled out as the weak little players who don’t care about the Cup. Even when hacks like Green, Spezza, Thornton are stinking up the ice it’s always about the damned Russians…

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

13. crabvader says:

Are you kidding?! Semin should’ve easily had about 6-7 goals… He was HALAK’D!

He had some crazy freakin’ point-blank shots that Halak stopped that he had absolutely no business stopping.

Semin was shooting more than most Capitals.

14. crabvader says:

Lol, a lazy Euro that can score 40+ goals a season… I’ll take him.

15. mike g says:

So then teams should only trade for players that were in the Finals the past year?

Not really. All I’m trying to say is the playoffs and a push for the Cup includes 4 rounds, not just the final series. You have to win 16 games, as you know. And a guy like Price who people think is done and career is in shambles, has won a playoff round and you can say that’s worth more than anything Semin has done, or not done, in the postseason.

Sure, last year the Caps came back from being down 1-3 to the Rangers, but Semin didn’t play like the 40 goal scorer that he is in the regular season. And this year, he didn’t do that either in the playoffs. He actually scored less goals in the 1st round  than Moore, Moen, Laps, and that disaster on skates MAB.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

16. TripleX says:

I’m sure your contacts within the NHL and the Montreal organization are far superior.  Delusional much?

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

17. punkster says:

Haha…true about Semin but I don’t recall seeing Price or the Ks listed in any of the finals stats either, do you? That’s my only point.

18. mike g says:

There will always be exceptions, and those guys are just that…

4 Russians on that list, and one (Fedorov) went from a top 5 player in the league, to a 3rd line center. You just can’t argue that they are all here for the CUP, I’ve tried and it never adds up.

I look at it this way: 90 percent of North American players will sacrifice anything to win the Cup, the other 10% probably wouldn’t. 10 percent of Russian players will sacrifice anything to win the Cup, the other 90% probably won’t.

I don’t hate Russian players, they are great. But they have just proven time and time again that they just don’t cut it come playoff time. There’s always going to be exceptions, and naturally some Russian players are that in the NHL. But, the majority just dont show up

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

19. punkster says:

I shall respond in due course, once I have filled my stomach and cleared my head 😉

20. mike g says:

ah just looked outside….

not raining anymore, a little cloudy. Wtv, Im not going for the weather, Im goin for da beer!

lol, hope it’s good. I’ve never ben. But, how bad can it be when there’s a bunch of beer in a room?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Last two winners of the Conn Smythe trophy were Europeans. The Norris was monopolized for 6 of the last 8 years by Nick Lidstrom. Only two-time winner of the Hart as a goalie was a European. A bunch of good Canadian boys in SJ were kicked out of the playoffs rather handily because they played like a bunch of softies.

Sergei Fedorov, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Peter Forsberg, Nicklas Lidstrom, Dominic Hasek, Jaromir Jagr, Sergei Zubov, Teemu Selanne, Saku Koivu, Mikko Koivu, Vyacheslav Kozlov, Mats Naslund, Jari Kurri, Stan Mikita. Those guys were/are a bunch of soft, no-compete players?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. andrewberkshire says:

A friend of mine just got back from the beer fest, she said it was awesome but this weather today is garbage.

23. andrewberkshire says:

Dave, you’re wrong anyway. The trade would be a disaster for Montreal as we’d be taking a bigger cap hit for two rentals. No way Laich or Semin stay in Montreal when they’re both about to go UFA for the first time in one year. It would be a terrible deal.

24. terrygain says:

There isn’t a rookie coach on earth stupid enough to play Bergeron and sit O’Byrne. Experience is no substitute for brains. We squeezed into the playoff on the last day and we got to the 3rd round on the strength of fabulous goaltending. We won’t make the playoffs next year.

25. Duracell3 says:

He’d probably be making a million in COlumbus, I don’t know that management is willing to come close to that for their AHL coach, although with the development record they hav they probably should as this guy seems leaps and bounds better at preparing them than the rest have been.

26. mike g says:

jk, lol….sry just bored waiting to go to the beerfest downtown. Just gonna taste a few samples, you know….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

27. camel_larry says:

Price is adequate in the playoffs. K’s suck hardcore in any weather.

28. mike g says:

I don’t know if your watching the Finals, but this Semin fellow along with the best, or 2nd best, player in the world are not taking part in it….

Actually, they were beaten by a team slated to finish 10th. And this Semin fellow was held without a goal. Great playoff performer there…

I see guys like Toews,Sharp, Kane, Richards, Giroux, Briere, etc….scoring in the Finals. Haven’t seen Semin do it yet. And judging by the names I listed above, there’s a distinct difference in the culture and nationalities of those names compared to,….Semin?….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

29. camel_larry says:

lemme see here.. we get: 1 lazy euro, 1 big centreman. They get: 2 lazy euros, 1 blue-chip goaltender.

Plus side: We drop 2 lazy euros, get some size.

Negative side: We lose a future star (IMO), take on a lazy euro.

30. SeriousFan09 says:

Semin’s been injured in his last 3 NHL seasons missing around 50 games and for a MTL team that has struggled with injury in the last two years, I’m not crazy about rolling the dice on a 1-year contract player with that history who doesn’t play defence and is as invisible as AK in the playoffs. He’s not a team player from reports and that doesn’t mesh with what we’re trying to build in MTL. Semin is not the answer to our problems in MTL at all, he’s a non-physical player who isn’t going to give us the grit on the Top 6 we need to get things done.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

31. Omit says:

Please never respond to my posts again.  I, and apparently many others, consider you to be a delusional paranoid.  You are a total waste of time and I really hope the feeling is mutual.  Thank you.

32. mike g says:

Semin is the kind of player that would be asking Pete Laviolette to scratch him for the Finals because it’s too physical for him.

And you refer to our players as so called “potentials”. Well, the biggest potential of all is the status of Semin after next season. He’s a potential UFA, and I’ll bet my house he hits the market and signs with the highest bidder.

I’m not stereotyping because he’s from Vodka land, but it’s just the way they are.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

33. andrewberkshire says:

Completely agreed Mike.

34. punkster says:

Yep and that gives him a leg up on Semin in his career so far? Sorry SF, not trying to pick an argument here, but Semin is the kind of player none of those 3 others can hold a candle to today. Maybe in the future…when any one or all three of them lives up to their dreaded “potential”. But not today and if the trade were to be made today I would have no problem taking an 84 point man/7th top goal scorer (who missed 9 games) in exchange for these so-called “potentials”.

35. sh00n says:

Oh, cute! A gossip BS writer for Montreal writing on the biggest gossip BS website. That’s some source; the Perez Hilton of Hockey’s website.

36. habstrinifan says:

Did you read Brian Burkes comments under this link I know many here scoff at Burke but he is definitely one that goes after what he wants to get or keep.

Maybe  Habs can follow suit.

37. ABHabsfan says:

“Sick” as in “that makes me feel sick”? Semin, as mentioned below is UFA next year and is a soft player who doesn’t even know where his own end is let alone what to do there. Yes he had 40 goals but he didn’t see the other teams’ best checking line because they focus on Ovechkin. Just doesn’t seem like the guy to carry the proverbial mail. Plus afrer his contract expires, he is just the type to jump to the KHL. Of course I generalize somewhat but please allow a little latitude.

AK could get 30-40 goals in Caps system or lack thereof, in which case we are trading Price and SK for Brooks Laich. I “like” Laich (get it?) but not that much.

38. Mikey_39 says:

Mike g…way to ruin my fun, lol.  No you are right.  It’s just we’d be getting two big forwards, one of whom can be a consistent 40 goal scorer.  As for him being soft in the playoffs…well in all fairness he did have to play against the Canadiens!

The Caps get to free up some cap space for them to pursue Volchenkov and they get a legit number one goaltender