Blake Geoffrion to honour legendary family in No. 57

Bernie Geoffrion

Bernard (Boom Boom) Geoffrion, Blake Geoffrion’s late grandfather, hams it up in the Canadiens’ Forum dressing room in 1961 wearing his famous, now-retired No. 5.
© David Bier Studios, Gazette files

Fourth-generation Canadien Blake Geoffrion, following his great-grandfather Howie Morenz, grandfather Bernie Geoffrion and father Danny Geoffrion, will wear No. 57 when he makes his Habs debut, Hockey Inside/Out learned Monday night.

Blake Geoffrion, acquired 10 days ago in a trade with Nashville for Habs defenceman Hal Gill, was called up from the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs on Monday. It’s unclear when he’ll make his Habs debut; if not Tuesday in Tampa Bay vs. the Lightning, then possibly Thursday at home vs. the Minnesota Wild.

Howie Morenz wore No. 7 en route to the Hall of Fame, save one season in the 1920s that he wore No. 6. Bernie Geoffrion wore No. 5 his entire Canadiens career, also bound for the Hall of Fame.

Usually, Canadiens rookies are assigned a number by the team. Those coming from other NHL teams can choose the number they were wearing, though that’s sometimes problematic with the Habs, given that Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12, 18, 19, 23, 29 and 33 have been retired.

Blake Geoffrion has chosen to wear 57, blending the 5 and 7 of his great-grandfather and grandfather. The number will also appear on the front and back of his helmet.

He will be the fifth Canadien to wear the number, following Chris Murray, 1994-96; Dainius Zubrus, 1998-99; Garth Murray, 2005-08; and Benoit Pouliot, 2009-11.

1. Danno says:

Blake Geoffrion (#57) will have to play great to “ketchup” to his legendary grandpa Boom Boom & great grandpa Howie Morenz

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

2. petefleet says:

My hope is that what ever they fed Max in Hamilton the last time he was sent down, is still on the menu for LL. Wouldn’t it be a treat to seee LL come back up in the fall with an over-the-top change to his game like Max did? As far as BF57 goes, good on him. I’m excited to see if he can bring some enthusiasm to this rag tag group before the season ends. Be nice if PK could turn his game around starting tonite.

******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM
    ***Habs Forever***

• Maksimir says:

I just hope he follows in the footsteps of previous #5 & #7 and not all the previous #57’s.

• RetroMikey says:

Only time will tell if Blake Geoffrion or other “Pepsi Generation” hockey players know what it really means to wear the CH with pride and give 100% every shift.
        Only Blake will determine his fate with the team and if he really does feel proud being a Montreal Canadiens player for life!
        Tank I say! Tank!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Sal says:

It was mentioned on Team 990, that LL was sent down to the Hammer as a necessity, so he can qualify to play in the AHL playoffs, if the Dogs can get in… what a year, looking like neither team will qualify!! Yikes!!

Sal from the Hammer

3. TommyB says:

I’m not surprised that the flipping of Leblanc for Geoffrion has happened. It does make sense to take a look at Geoffrion before the season comes to an end, and Leblanc has shown his capabilities. Let Leblanc go back to Hamilton, and let’s see him add some weight and muscle over the summer. Leblanc will be a decent addition to the Habs next year, and more so if he can add some strength.

The only thing that bugs me, is that it seems like a public relations/face saving move by bringing up Geoffrion, as stated by others below. Bringing him up right now and giving him the combination of 5 and 7 for his jersey number seems like a pleasant distraction for the media. Hey, can we get back on the 100th Anniversary bandwagon again, or did we squeeze every last drop out of that thing? Yeah, you know we did. Anyway, I hope for this kid’s sake, that he can find his own place in history on this team. I hope he is not being used for his pedigree. There was a time when I would not question the integrity of the Habs organization, but these days I would not be surprised by anything they do.

• LA Loyalist says:

Yeah, I was at Hockey Hall of Fame a couple of weeks ago and they had Habs branded dental floss. Kind of bothered me, though to be fair my kid loved his Habs toothbrush so I guess their is no difference.

I have no prob wih LLB in Hamilton, as you guys say put on some weight over the summer, work out a lot, it’s good.

As for 57, he’s not a raw rookie, so we should be able to get a decent sense of him over the next few weeks.

Is it just PR? Maybe so, be things are so bad around here I can’t complain.

4. jljudges54 says:

good thing that montreal didn’t retire 57 after Pouliot this summer
    CH 1909

5. TomNickle says:

I don’t blame Pierre Gauthier for this team not performing at a level that it should have this season. I don’t blame him for injuries and I don’t blame him for decisions he didn’t make. He’s been a mixed bag here with his trades and free agent signings.

What I do blame him for is the handling of personnel. This deadline lacked a true seller because Scott Howson was so focused on moving one player that he lost sight of the other half dozen that he should have moved. Steve Tambellini is more focused on re-signing his over-priced and over the hill players(Smyth, Hemsky) than he is on building around his young talent.

This was Gauthier’s error in my opinion. He didn’t take advantage of the team being where it is. No reason that Weber, Kaberle, Campoli and Moen or at least a couple of those players couldn’t have been moved for a reasonable return. Trading Kostitsyn for a second round pick was a terrible trade. He’s a former first round pick and until this season an annual twenty goal scorer. He won’t be confused with Ovechkin anytime soon but for comparative purposes, Troy Brouwer was traded to the Capitals for a first round pick last off-season. It seems he didn’t use any leverage to work for the best interests of the franchise.

Had the Cammalleri and Gill trades not happened prior to deadline day, things would be looking much more grim than they are today.

6. HabFanSince72 says:

Oilers won last night. Now two points behind us with a game in hand.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

7. homerbowen says:

For those PG supporters out there, if any are left, if he was fired what NHL team would pick him up? I personally don’t think he would get a sniff, but that would apply to a number of GM’s, so it’s not a french thing. However, let’s not repeat our mistakes get the BEST available GM and Coach and worry about language for something else. If not, expect more of what we are getting and be prepared for a long wait.

8. Cal says:

The defense is too small and too soft. No fight. Shooters that can’t hit the net to save their life. Defenders, 4 of them, that can’t throw a hit. A head coach, hi Randy, and a defense coach, hi Randy, that are both clueless. Any wonder why the team is among the league best at being the worst?

9. Captain aHab says:

PG was talking yesterday about the pressure of getting potentially traded and how it affected the players who will now get re-focussed. Why did no one ask him how he can expect these guys to win in the pressure cooker of the playoffs when they can’t handle the pressure of possibly being traded? And when is there no potential to be traded? Are guys to be excused from playing badly right from the start of the year because they might get traded? Pure B.S…….excuses, excuses, excuses.

—————-
    McGuire for GM!
    Roy for Coach!
    Sh*t for Brains!

10. Captain aHab says:

And why do you think they are bringing up Geoffrion and sending down LL? Simply to change the focus. Let’s get the media to talk about the Geoffrions and the team’s PAST again instead of having them focus on the abortion of a team we have now.

Now that the trade deadline has passed, if Gomez still gets a ton of ice/PP time, we’ll know this organization is completely wacky.

—————-
    McGuire for GM!
    Roy for Coach!
    Sh*t for Brains!

11. Bogie Man says:

I do not get it..”business as usual”. Do not they not see that what they have been doing is not good business? I mean come on we are in last place, lost 6 out of the last 7 games. Business can not be usual because as usual is not working. Gautier is either lying through his teeth or everyone in upper management is dumb, blind and cannot hear!

Till the habs eleviate Gautier from him current position, we get a permanent coach and Gomez is either bought out or on waivers this team is going to start spinning more out of control. Mark my words the stars we have now will not want to play for the Habs when they go to resign if the team is still in the same state of affairs and it will become more and more difficult to get anyone to want to play on this team. Sure we will continue to get the misfits like Kaberle and Gomez but no one of value.

• Cal says:

This Habs team has stars? Really?

• dh says:

AK46 is gone. He must have been the problem. Now maybe Kaberle can stop giving up game losing goals.

• Bogie Man says:

This team is a train wreck, I think alot of the fans see this and alot of the players both on the team and elsewhere in the NHL see it. My concern is why does the individuals in charge of making a difference do not see it! It is not like the decisions are difficult ones, it is not like the decisions are expensive ones or ones they cannot afford. Three simple things that would make a world of difference on this team>

1. Fire Gauthier now – BG in as interim till summer and hire a qualified GM that can make sound decisions.
        2. Fire Randy now – Bring in Roy or someone that can steer this ship till the end of the year.
        3. This is getting so old now that it is gone beyond stupidity – Place gomez on waivers now. He id doing no one eny good on the fourth line!

12. Captain aHab says:

Now I admit I missed part of the presser yesterday but boy oh boy could some reporter ask him a tough question once in a while? Could somebody ask him what possessed them as an organization to almost completely rid the team of toughness? Ask him if he’s proud of the team he helped build and why he should be left with the keys to the car after wrecking it?

The bloody “what is your favourite colour?” type questions they are asking Habs management are just ridiculous and leave the players to answer the tough questions all the time. I mean JM was TOTALLY flabbergasted when that reporter asked him about Cole and the PP because they are totally not used to it.
    —————-
    McGuire for GM!
    Roy for Coach!
    Sh*t for Brains!

• rjcp says:

You are absolutely right, these reporters have to be “allowed” to conduct interviews so they can’t be asking logical, intelligent questions or they won’t be welcomed back. This whole “wait for the trade deadline to determine if we are buyers or sellers” is so ironic in the Habs’ case because we had nothing to assess! We were crap all season long and Gauthier should have been buyer AND seller to improve this team, but he didn’t. Sure, it isn’t as easy as I’m making it out to be, but Gauthier will tell reporters he tried, like Campoli, Kaberle and Bourque, but he and Gainey have no sense of “calculated risk-taking”, no clue that the team lacks toughness even after watching the Bruins constantly intimidate us, no excitement to their personalities and it reflects in the standings.

• Bogie Man says:

You did not say alot here but I think what you said was exactly where things stand. I am not as proud to be a Habs fan as I use to be. Back in the 70, 80’s and early nineties do you think being in last place would not stir things up. There would be riots in the streets of Montreal asking for heads to roll! The team is way too passive and apparently the fans are getting this way as well. If you raise the bar of expectations most professional will step up. We need to raise te bar!

13. third generation haber says:

Sergei Kostitsyn was one of the laziest, selfish, immature pieces of S$%t to ever disgrace our uniform. (The guy should date Ribeiro)

Of course he’s grown-up since moving to Nashville, but like Grabovski he walked off the team in his rookie year b/c he wasn’t happy with his ice-time.

Attention other G.M.’s! Immature punk who’s hated by his teammates and refuses to hustle or play defence for sale!!! Any buyers?????

Of course we got little in return!!!

I think the Habs have to bring-up players when they’re mentally prepared to play in the Montreal fish-bowl.

D’Agostini, McDonaugh, Lattendresse, and Hainsey on the other hand were literally thrown-away. What a waste!

j.p. murray

• roady says:

The French Nation at their finest….The Goat is a genius…don’t you know it ….great …just great….

take your drink to the end of the bar buddy…come on now, don’t be a fool…

• The Cat says:

A team needs a mix of personalities, habs seem to want every player to have a bland personality like Gorges and Plekanec, personalities that are the least likely to create off ice drama. Habs are too worried about the marketability of their brand.

• third generation haber says:

Good point, but I think Price and Subban bring some of that.

Personally, Gorges’ professionalism is admirable to me.

There’s a handful of guys on the habs (Cole, Gorges, Patches, Eller, Subban, Price, Emmelin if he could speak English) whom I sense are on the verge of tearing a strip off their soft, lazy, heartless teammates.

j.p. murray

• The Cat says:

Yes but how close was Subban from leaving? He was treading toward being the media’s punching bag. Luckily he started to play better, but had he not and he played 3 or 4 more bad games with bad giveaways; you wouldve had an almost untenable situation, such is the way things snowball in Montreal.

14. The Cat says:

Im usually a short post guy. Heres what I think is wrong with the habs. It came out of the horses mouth in Nashville; Gill said SK is a changed man, that hes more relaxed. So the fans and the media and the atmosphere they create deserve some blame for the failed development of young players. They are never good enough, if a forward player is more skilled offensively, the people question his defensive liabilities. People and the habs dont allow for players to be solely offensively gifted, and thats a problem. It reminds of a great comedian who passed away MITCH HEDBERG, and he had a line in his show, Im paraphrasing: ‘Man showbusiness is tough, as soon as I was gaining success in standup comedy, they started to ask me: yeah but can you write a tv show, can you act, if I could direct. Man thats like asking a chef: can you farm?”
    Now theres nothing wrong with trying to make a player more complete, but at some point you got to realize what it is youre drafting, and play to their strengths, and not have them change to adhere the habs philosophy or system. If you want all around players, then dont draft players that are mainly offensively skilled.

• The Cat says:

A perfect example of what I mean is Guillaume Latendresse. From his days in Drummondville he was a sniper, a big bodied one. Lats always had a high scoring percentage, even with the habs, his % was among the best in the league. So of course the habs said:” yeah but can you be a hard hitting power forward who seperates the opposing defense from the puck and go in front of the net and take bumps.” And Lats never had the personality for that, nor the age.

• Nightshine says:

And that’s why Bruce Lee is kick ass. In the beginning of time we were heavily focused on the tribe/community/tradition aspects of living, and although those concepts are highly important in today’s day and age, we’re coming to realize that it starts with the individual that makes up the whole.

Hockey players are people, regardless of how much money they make. We’re all people, and it’s easy to criticize ourselves, especially through the eyes of currency.

From what I’ve gathered, management hasn’t reached their potential, and thus, the team hasn’t reached their potential.

My favorite Hab that I grew up with is no longer with the team, and all my favorite prospects from when I was younger are also now gone (except for the turtle neck!) and yeah, it sucks.

Maybe I’m wrong in regards to “the lost prospects”, maybe the Habs will be better in the following years, I don’t know, yet it seems to me that over the last 10 years we’ve traded away a whole team of prospects. And each of them, it seems, are doing very well in their new environments.

Anyways, I’m not that down about the season. It’s tough not to have the pendulum swing, or for it to swing one way for eternity.

I’ve just never liked the way prospects we’re handled ever since I can remember. YET, at the same time, some bright spots this year; Cole, DD, Patches, PK, Price, Eller, Emelin.

Anyways, don’t really know what I’m talking about. I like the players they have now, and I miss the players that are gone.

It’s just… I am happy with the new prospects…. it’s just, our old prospects are doing well on other teams, because, like this well written post showed – we blamed the kids, instead of looking at ourselves (management).

It suck to actually want to see a high draft pick…… that hurts the most. You never want your favorite team to loose.

• The Cat says:

I hear you, those young guys with the habs are doing well, and I suggest that its in spite of the habs. They never had plans for Desharnais (Gomez had to suck to high heaven for him to even have a chance)and Max is what he is because of Cole. This wasnt planned, it was luck that they gelled, but thats ok you need luck sometimes. You have to be patient with youth but at the same time, you cant show blatant favouritism like they have with Price, if it aint right to show blatant favouritism with the veterans, its equally wrong to do so with youngsters.

15. The Jackal says:

Stev.R the kind of poster HIO is missing.

16. Stev.R says:

Montreal has lost 18 games this season by one goal (including shootouts). We expected Gionta to be able to score ~25 goals for us; he’s scored 8. That’s 17 goals we’re missing from our lineup this season. If he was in the lineup and scored one goal in just half of those close games, we could be fighting for a playoff spot right now.We expected Markov to be in the line up this year and helping produce, and scoring ~40 points. How many of those points would have helped secure us some wins?

We expected Cammalleri to score 25 goals for us this season; He scored 9. If he could have put up some goals for us when he played in a couple of those close games, we’re in 8th place. We expected Kostitsyn to put up 20 goals this season; he scored 12. If he would have scored a few more goals, we could be sitting comfortably in a playoff spot.

How many games has Moen, Blunden, and White missed this year? You think if we could have had them in the lineup we would have been more sound defensively?

What about all the young players in our lineup this season? Pacioretty, DD, Weber, Emelin, Diaz, Eller and Subban are all in their first or second full season in the NHL. You think they may have been somewhat of a liability defensively? How many times has their inexperience resulted in a goal, or a blown lead? How many games did we lose because of this?

This is why I don’t think all the endless hate towards PG is unwarranted. How was he supposed to predict that we would be plagued with injuries, and it would have such a negative effect on the team? What was he supposed to do when reliable scorers didn’t show up to play this year? How was he supposed to predict that a once unstoppable powerplay was going to suddenly dry up? How can he be blamed for the growing pains of young players?

I know everyone likes to blame him for this season, but I think at the end of the day most of the blame lies with:
    -underachieving star players
    -No powerplay
    -Developing youth
    -And most importantly, injuries (2nd most in the league)

It was a shitstorm of a season, but it was caused by a multitude of factors. I doubt anyone will read this because nobody likes to read the posts defending PG. I’m not saying he’s the best GM in the league. I wish we could move Gomez, I wish Kaberle was better defensively, I wish Bourque was more consistent, but I do think most trades he’s made this year (Noke, Kabs, Bourque, Gill, Kos) had the right intent, and we got as much as we probably could for what we gave up.

• montreal ace says:

Stev you have made some valid points about PG and this season. I think as a GM he is just ok, the two biggest strikes I have against him are the coaching change this year, and not getting enforcers for the team. His best move was getting rid of Cammi, as his numbers were going to continue to go down, without the support of bigger players.

• roady says:

You have way too much time on your hands Stevie boy.

take your drink to the end of the bar buddy…come on now, don’t be a fool…

17. gwebster says:

Did the Habs waste more assets by not trading some of their UFAs? I rant about our history of wasting draft picks and failing to trade players here:

18. habs11s says:

I still support Gill and AK46 back in MTL for 2012-13!!!!

_____________________________________________________________

19. habfan53 says:

I’m impressed with Blake already. First was his reaction to being traded to Montreal even though Gauthier told him he woul be going to Hamilton first.
    Then last week he gave an interview with RDS explained he did not really know Montreal that the first time he came was when they retired #5 on the day that his “PAPI” died.
    The emotion he had for his grandfather was telling.
    He heard about “Beliveau, The Rocket and Dickie Moore” growing up, He heard about Lafleur and Robinson from his father.
    The PRIDE in his eyes was there.
    Then choosing by #57 to show respect for both his grandfather and great grandfather he embraces what he expects the pressure to be on him.
    Blake Geoffrion will wear “La Sainte Flannel” with honor and pride.
    I am getting chills just thinking about his ovation Thursday night when he steps on the ice for the first time.
    I hope his “Mami” and dad are in the Bell Centre a well.

P.S. Did anybody see the highlight from the weekend HE CAN SCORE ON A SHOOTOUT!!!!!!!
    to paraphrase Nixon: If the Bruins do it, it is not illegal

20. Stev.R says:

Isn’t number 29 retired too?

21. Worst Daytona ever, let’s freakin go already!

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

This is your Habs team next year.

I do not believe the Habs will bury Gomez. They’d rather tank. I am slotting him in as the 13th forward,

Cole-Desharnais-Pacioretty
    Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
    Moen-Eller-Leblanc
    Blunden-Nokelainen-White
    Gomez

The defense rests on Markov’s knee. I am beginning to agree with Arpon Basu that Markov should play this season. Test it out. The Habs will know if he’s good to go for next season or not that way. If he finishes strong xorošó. If he gets injured again. do svidánija.

Markov-Emelin
    Gorges-Subban
    Kaberle-Diaz
    Weber

It would be nice to shed Kaberle but that doesn’t look likely either.

Price
    Budaj

With Price getting another 70-74 games.

Looks like a team that will compete for the division basement and be a shoo-in for another lottery pick.

• 24moreCups says:

No Ryan White? But Blunden is going to play both wings lol.

• joeybarrie says:

Wow, Blunden will play both left AND right wings. And Gomez only plays one??? What a bum that Gomez.

• Rad says:

I think Plekanec will be traded in the Summer, before the draft.

• Stev.R says:

I think thats pretty close. With Kos gone, we’ll have about 4m we can spend on a possible top 6 forward. There isn’t many out there outside Semin and Parise, but we could maybe give a guy like Hudler, or Doan an offer. Also, possibly trade for Chris Stewart if STL doesn’t think it’s working out there. Maybe David Jones :/
      I do think that we will buy out Gomez. Reports are that PG tried to trade him last summer but got blocked by his NTC. So it’s not like PG doesn’t know Gomez should be moved out. I figure we may go after a new depth center and let Noke walk. I could see Weber being traded and us bringing in a depth shutdown dman. Maybe somebody like Sarich.
      Aside from that, we’ll have a few rookies competing for jobs, and we’ll enter year three of our rebuild. This is the year where the prospects are attained, and they just need to begin their professional development.

• HardHabits says:

Noke is an RFA. I made that list from signed players and RFA’s exclusively. IMO it doesn’t make sense to buy out Gomez. Better to bury him. The savings are only 3.3M dollars but the cap hit over the years amounts to a lot of wasted space. Let him mentor the prospects. He can captain the Bulldogs.

• The Dude says:

Well then…it’s official….we’re F__KED next year as-well .

• Stev.R says:

I don’t think we we will be as bad next year. Our young guys will have another years experience, Cammy and Kos and maybe Gomez will be gone, and hopefully we will be healthier. Like I posted last night, we are 10 goals from being in a playoff spot. If we are healthier, and can get or PP going even a little bit better, that will result in at least 5 – 10 more wins. I happen to think it could be even more than that if Gio and Pleks can get in a groove together.

• Stooof says:

sorry you are missing a key element to next year.

cole-desharnais-pacioretty
      Grigorenko-plekanec-gionta
      bourque-eller-moen
      blunden-noke-white
      gomez will be taken care of. I don’t care who you think our gm is, but you have to thnk they know he stinks and is a horrible peice to this room

markov-subban
      yemelin-jorges
      kaberle-diaz
      weber will be traded in the offseason
      beaulieau will come up a bit,

This team is pretty mcuh garaunteed. if the habs finish like i think they will, they will get the 2nd or 3rd pick. Edmonton is almost garaunteed tot ake the top canadian d, leaving yakupov and grigs to go 2nd and 3rd. Watch the canadians pick up an nhl ready superstar in the making.
      This is also not taking into account all the other tweaks the habs will be making.
      GO HABS

• howardshabs says:

This is the comment board for a motivated Geoffrion joining our lineup, and no one has him penciled into our plans for next year?

IMO

At the very least management will bury or ship out Gomez and sign the RFAs. I also think they will resign Moen, (fantastic idea for many reasons if you have half a brain, I’m sure you know).

I would be happy going into the season with a healthy lineup of:

Cole – DD – Patches
        Bourque – Pleks – Gio
        Geoffrion – Eller – Leblanc
        Blunden – White – Moen
        Noke, Shultz, Engvist

Subban – Gorges
        Emelin – Markov
        Kaberle – Diaz
        Weber

Price
        Budaj

This is the worst case scenario and this team can be good, for many of the reasons StevR mentioned above.

The most frustrating (or salvageable) part for me this season was sometimes watching a team on fire. Crisp passes. Smart hockey plays. Timely saves. Other times it would fall apart completely. Which in a way we are fortunate.

A lottery pick added to this lineup is dynamite. I hope we get Dumba. An athletic, sky’s the limit potential defenseman, like PK Subban but with less offensive flash and much more oh-so-perfectly timed hits. If we get Grigorenko, I hope he is as complete as Malkin, not as flaky as Filatov, Zherdev, Morosoz, Radulov, et al. Whoever we get should be expected to be as big of an impact as our last lottery pick (Price), and that’s exciting if they perform to expectations.

Adding that to this team would be even better then bare minimum changes.

However, to truly be great we need to create a better culture. This starts with the mangement, they have no personality. The team is restricted to be boring, in fear of risky behaviour.

It works for Belichick and the Patriots, but they only play 18 games in a year. I know the Habs had at least 18 good games this year. Well maybe 17.

Either way, Molson needs to bring in Roy as GM, let him do a few colourful interviews, maybe ask him about Jeremy Roenick, and take the pressure off the team.

Then they need to sign Cunneyworth up for French lessons and give him a 2 year contract. He’s a players coach, and in this market someone needs to be loyal to the players to make them feel comfortable so they can play loose and effective.

Then Roy would find a way to move Kaberle, Bourque and Gomer for aggressive, in your face, heart on your sleeve, hockey players.

Like Blake Geoffrion.

I wouldn’t be upset if all we got back from our dead uninspired weight was a bag of pucks and a one timer machine to help our skilled potential reach their potential.

My realistically obtainable lineup:

Cole – DD – Patches
        *** – Pleks – Gionta
        Geoffrion – Eller – Leblanc
        Blunden – Nokey – Moen

Subban – Gorges
        Markov – Emelin
        Diaz – Tinordi
        Weber –

Price (with a new 10 year, $70 mill contract)
        Budaj

*** – someone big, gritty and determined, like Cole, acquired somehow. UFA signing or trade.

please note: In the lineup I have not accounted for the possibility of us getting Grigorenko, Dumba or one of the other top rated picks and them being NHL ready from day 1.

That would be cool.

This could be an exciting lineup.

To be honest, this year is going to be better then that year Toronto knocked us out of the playoffs in our final game. If the Islanders didn’t do the same to the Laffs the next night, who knows what I would have done.

This year has its positives:
        1 – True characters have emerged to form a new team identity for sustainable future (Price, Cole, DD, Patches, Eller, Moen, White, Subban, Gorges, Emelin) ((with Leblanc and Diaz on the verge of consistent impact))
        2 – We acquired Boom Boom’s grandson, (and Howie Morenz’s great grandson…. in the same transaction!)
        3 – A Kost is no longer ‘burdened’ in Montreal
        4 – The Count is gone! Jacques Martin was fired so this year is a success.

Let’s focus on the positives and let the team evolve.

• third generation haber says:

I don’t believe Molson will mandate another season in the tank.

A) We have a lot of players with only 1-3 years experience, so they will get better.
      B) A 1 year turnaround is possible (N.J./ Philly)
      C) This is Montreal!

I belive we will be adding F.A.’s, especially with the 7+ mil we can save from sending Gomez to the minors.

I think Nokelainen will be dumped, and Diaz will play in the AHL.

I think we will add 2 hard-nosed D-men. (FA)
      I think we will add 1 offensive weapon. (FA)
      I think we will add a goon, that’s why we are auditioning Staubitz.
      I also think we will be better b/c we will add Gionta, Moen, Markov, and Blunden.

I believe we can be a play-off team next season.

j.p. murray

23. Mattyleg says:

Watching Flames-Blues.
    Nice to see a real powerplay. It’s fun to watch.
    Ooh! Tom The Bomb on the PP!!
    Imagine if we’d done that in Montreal…
    There’d be outrage.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

24. Saundies says:

The only pressure on this kid will be the normal pressure that comes with being a Hab. If anybody really expects him to live up his family name, they’re ridiculous. I do see him being a solid presence on our bottom two lines next year, banging and grinding it up!

Good on ya for the number shout out too, kid!

25. Rad says:

Edmonton beats the Winnipeg Jets 5-3 tonight. The win moves them 2 points behind the Habs with a game in hand. They’ve got all their injured players back, and Hemsky re-signed. And today the Oilers made a smart trade for a solid, physical defenseman in Nick Schultz. This team is starting to roll. Taylor Hall is a thoroughbred who will be their next captain, probably will wear an “A” next year. He has unbelievable speed and desire to win. And Nugent-Hopkins on the power play reminds me a little bit of Gretzky, he’s that good. The Oilers are a team in a hockey heartland with a good hockey culture, and a management team that is vastly superior to Montreal’s. They are just one really good defenseman away from being a force to be reckoned with in this league. It is instructive to watch a team that is moving in the right direction.

• Saundies says:

Do you think that if the Habs pick 3rd and the Oilers 2nd next year that Edmonton will skip over Grigorenko and take someone like Murray or Dumba to satisfy that need, or do you see them taking the best player available at that spot?

• Rad says:

First of all, I don’t think they’ll pick ahead of us. They’ll finish the season strong and we’re just free-falling with no improvement in sight. I do think they’ll draft a defenseman, probably Dumba, who plays on the same Junior team that Nugent-Hopkins played on, just a few miles away from Edmonton, so they get to see him play a lot. Dumba has explosive speed, and is considered a burgeoning P.K. Subban type of player.

• Trisomy 21 says:

well regardless of where Edm winds up, they can win the lottery and draft ahead of us. Anyways I think they will still draft the best player at the time of their pick. Might be smart for them to trade down and maybe get an extra late pick to get murray or dumba

• Rad says:

Dumba’s been moving up on several lists. He was ranked #2 overall in Craig Button’s Feb 13 Draft Ranking.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Yeah but he also has Grigorenko lower than 5th. Regardless, it’s still plausible to trade down a couple picks and get something in return.

• Rad says:

I am not a big Grigorenko fan, at least not yet. The times I’ve seen him play, he has not stood out.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I’m starting to see why, I just read a scouting report that says he’s losing the fire in his belly. Interesting.

• third generation haber says:

No chance they will take a pass on Grigorenko! They will take him b/c he’s the best player available.

Our only chance is to:
        A) win the draft lottery
        B) Finish below the Oilers (I doubt it)
        C) Trade picks with them by throwing in one of our 2nd round picks
        (We currently have 2 2012 2nd rounders, and 3 2013 2nd rounders)

j.p. murray

• Malreg says:

You’re right, they are on their way to possibly their 3rd straight 1st overall pick.

Their management should give themselves a nice pat on the back.

• HardHabits says:

It’s not enough. They need to get good picks in later rounds to round out the roster. Chicago had Toews and Kane but they drafted well in the late rounds too; Brower, Byfuglien, Bolland, Duncan Keith.

26. Les Canayens says:

Anybody’s watching Daytona 500? All these series of disruptions on top of the 2 rain delays? It’s gonna be like 3am before they’re done.

▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭
    Scouting is subjective.

27. anotherhab says:

Good news!!!! Looks like the Oilers will win tonight putting them 2 points behind us with a game in hand.

28. Say Ash says:

Has Cammi been playing centre in Calgary?

29. H.Upmann says:

Anybody in the league wear 69 ? Hahaha oh yeah: Bettman does!

But seriously, wish Blake well and hope he prospers. Talk about family lineage! … About today’s trade, I liked AK46 but he floated too often. Im glad we’ve been getting rid of floaters (excluding Gill)… However, it’s starting to become obvious that mgmt just don’t know how to implement a real youth development plan… My gawd, the players we’ve gotten rid of within last ten years. And now AK. However, there’s proof then we can get it right: Pleks, Markov (when he was healthy), and I hope Subban and Price join that list. We have to stop screwing up youth development! It’ll be criminal if that happens to Eller and LL.

30. slapshot777 says:

@ Smartdog

Apparently this coming from Bob Mackenzie, who said that Nash’s agent kind of forced the issue with regards to getting a trade done. Now you have to believe that Nash’s agent didn’t do this without Nash knowing what was going on. He would have had to okay it.

Mackenzie, said that once a trade couldn’t get done, with the limited list that Nash supplied Howden figured that he would fire a shot back at both Nash and his agent.

• The Gonk says:

That this became public with a short-list of trading partners in the 1st place tells you there’s a dysfunctional relationship between Nash (and/or his camp) and CB management. This has that Heatley vibe to it and obviously not in a good way.

• SmartDog says:

Thanks.

Here’s how closely I WASN’T following this: I thought he was UFA. Duh-uh. Had no idea he had SIX years left. Wow. My bad.

I hate all this trade hoopla. It’s always a lot of hot air… I try not to listen. Guess I succeeded here.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

31. Bill says:

Winning the Hobey Baker award is a pretty good indicator that you can be an NHL regular, but it hasn’t translated to star potential in quite some time. Ryan Miller is the last “star” player to have that on his resume; Jordan Leopold and Matt Carle are pretty decent players by any standard.

If Geoffrion can be a regular for the Habs, that would be outstanding, and if the draft pick turns out well, that deal is a home-run.

Full Breezer 4 Life

32. The Gonk says:

Let’s go Blake! But not too much, we gotta stick with the tank.

33. deuce6 says:

I really think this kid will lead the way in the effort dept. going forward..I highly doubt he will take a shift off wearing this sweater…

Go set an example, kid..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

34. AceMagnum says:

You forgot number 29!

35. Trisomy 21 says:

No! My Pouliot jersey!

36. slapshot777 says:

Again we have a lot of posters who keep claiming that PG is this or BG is that and that the Habs have no class and that this organization has lost it’s classas a whole.

Well, anyone catch what Howdson did to Rick Nash today. He pretty much threw Nash under the bus and then proceeded to back up and run over him a couple of more times.

Nash is going to have a very uneasy 6 weeks left to the season plus an uneasy summer especially if he stays in Columbus. With Howden pretty much blaming Nash for demanding the trade, there is no way Nash comes back to Columbus next season.

Then again I don’t see Howdson back either, but nobody in the Columbus organization came out and said anything different either, so come July 1st Nash will have a different area code.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Yeah I was surprised to hear that from him. It’s something that doesn’t matter but can make a player look bad.

• ProHabs says:

Nash deserved it. Both him and Carter are losers. Howdson did what he could to put some talent on that team and his best players quit on the team and asked to be traded. Nash and Carter should be ashamed of themselves.

• SmartDog says:

That’s not how I heard what he said… didn’t he say Nash said he would want to be traded if it could help the team. In other words, he offered the very thing that many teams want desperately. (Remember the Laffs and Sundin – Sundin screwed them royally by not letting them trade him.) Why they didn’t trade him is the REAL mystery. Bizarre.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

37. Rad says:

To me this is only a good story if Blake does something worthy of the family legacy, else there’s no good story there. I just hope the kid can become more than a journeyman hockey player. He doesn’t have to enter the Hall of Fame, but if he turns out to be a solid 2-way player who can hold a regular spot on the 3rd line, that will be good enough.

38. SlovakHab says:

Anyone has a scoop on Nichlas Torp?

Habs 2007 6th round draftee.
    Could he become someone like Emelin in the future?
    Do Habs still hold his rights?

39. Chuck says:

I’m not one to brag, but I called him choosing #57, and over the option of #75, too… which of course Blake decided to leave free for when Mr. Gill reclaims it after free agency.

40. Psycho29 says:

His father Danny wore number-20 with the Habs…

41. Wops says:

I would have choose #6 to be between both of them !

42. ProHabs says:

One thing I was glad to see today was Gautier and Gainey finally come out of their cave and get a tough guy on the team. The Habs have been the beee-aches of all the other teams for way to many years.

43. DorvalTony says:

Benoit qui?

“Okay everybody take a Valium.” – Rene Levesque

44. gerrybell says:

dont tell me there is any pressure on Geoffrion considering his dad played 32 games with the habs.

45. JohnBellyful says:

I don’t envy Geoffrion. That’s quite a legacy he has to live up to: the two Murrays, Zubrus, and Pouliot.

46. Caper says:

If you understand the Canadiens history this is very cool. Hopefully this will be a good story to take away some of the disappointment from this season.

47. krob1000 says:

I have a pretty good feeling about this kid…..I would bet he has wanted to wear that number since he was a little kid and I would also bet he works as hard as anyone we have seen in a Habs uni. I don’t expect him to be a star but I think he will have a respect for the Habs organization that even the current players do not. His family is second only to the Richards in organizational significance and I think he could surprise us….not because his name is Geoffrion but because his name is Geoffrion.