Blake Geoffrion expected to make full recovery

Geoffrion

Hamilton Bulldogs forward Blake Geoffrion had successful surgery Friday night and remains in intensive care at a Montreal hospital, reports The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs.

Geoffrion, 24, underwent surgery for a depressed skull fracture, the Canadiens said in a medical update early Saturday afternoon. His condition is stable and medical staff expect him to make a full recovery from the injury, the team said.

Geoffrion was injured during the Bulldogs game against the Syracuse Crunch at the Bell Centre.

Bulldogs head coach Sylvain Lefebvre announced after the game that Geoffrion was undergoing surgery following an injury to his head.

Lefebvre said the injury was not life-threatening.

“We’re going to update you guys as soon as we know more,” Lefebvre told reporters. “But as far as Blake is concerned right now he is under good care.”

Geoffrion was checked by Syracuse defenceman J.P. Côté as he skated into the Syracuse end of the rink midway through the first period. Geoffrion struck his head on the ice and lost some blood, but left the ice under his own steam.

He was rushed to a Montreal hospital. His parents were with him.

1. Lafrich says:

I think I figured out a way to settle the lockout. Players should have to throw in their endorsement money into HRR.

2. Bill says:

Ugh. Not following hockey too closely these days, so just heard about this. Hockey is a rough game and by all accounts it was a clean hit, but you hate to see someone get hurt so badly. BG is a good guy who has worked hard for his opportunities, and I hope he is well cared for – I believe the Habs will ensure this – and makes a full recovery. Unfortunate.

Full Breezer 4 Life

3. HabFab says:

DarrenDreger – Tempers have settled, at least among those involved in negotiations. Daly, S.Fehr and Kevin Westgarth met over lunch and had a good chat.

How nice! I feel all warm and cuddly…

Not sure if many of you are big NCAA Football fans, but the #1 Alabama team is in tough now, what a barnburner. Looks like the Texas A&M team is going to pull off the upset.

• Habfan10912 says:

Welcome back! You were missed. Now if onlu K State can lose we mihht see Notre Dame in the BCS Championship game yet. CHeers bud

———————————–

• punkster says:

How was it in SC?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

Was great, played some great courses and managed to have a couple real good rounds. Had one cold/rainy day otherwise played in shorts most of the week. Great place for a golf getaway. Thanks Punkster, CHeers.

• Bripro says:

Well, look who’s decided that he’s had enough of the good life, and has returned to the virtual land of the lyrical and cynical.
      Welcome back. I hope you had a great time, and improved your handicap!

*********************************************
      “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

Thanks Bri, had a great time, good to be home though.

• Bripro says:

I see that.
          That’s one helluva a tan too!
          While we’re hunkering down here, getting ready for the ugly stuff.
          And as you probably know, some of the not-so-lucky are already living the ugly stuff.
          We need hockey to boost everybody’s spirits around here.
          And some of your astute comments, my friend! Cheers!

*********************************************

Good to hear Boomer will be okay. Really a shame the two sets of Bozo’s still can’t find a way to settle this lockout. Really would be nice to be watching NHL hockey tonight.

• HabFab says:

We are doomed!!

Its looking that way Frank. Am amazed how it isn’t even a story hardly on ESPN down in the States.

• Habfan10912 says:

Sometimes it feels as if Chrisadiens and I are the only ones down here that care. Sure that’s not the case but you are correct in your observation.

———————————–

Yah, I know you aren’t the only ones Jim, but the NHL can very easily be forgotten about in the Southern States if another season is lost. Both sides need to be wary of this. I missed reading your typos Jim, they are brilliant.

• Habfan10912 says:

What typos? :)

———————————–

• Hobie Hansen says:

Hopefully it is one last attempted from both sides to get the other side to blink and they get the deal done next week…

• Habilis says:

Last I heard, the players were demanding their full salary for the 12/13 season, regardless of how many games are played.

If the players are that far removed from reality then I can’t see any hope for hockey this year.

It does clear up one thing for me though. I understand now how 700 grown men can commit career suicide together. They must have been told by their “leader” that he would get them every dime that they are owed, regardless of how long this goes.

What I can’t understand is how they can be naive enough to believe it.

6. Rad says:

Where’s all that moaning and complaining about Jarred Tinordi’s toughness and willingness to stick up for his teammates?

• jols101 says:

I loved it. Especially since it wasn’t a staged fight for no reason. I got no use for those. He went after the guy who took a healthy run at Bournival. Good for him. Hope he does more of that…
      I just didn’t comment on it cause many posters here seam to confuse NHL hockey with women pairs figure skating and I didn’t want them to get their panties in a bunch again…

• Rad says:

Tinordi’s toughness and physical play has not been questioned by anyone except you. You were out of line in doing so. Even though this was his first fight, he has been laying on the body in every game he’s played this year. The kid is going to be a good player in this league for a long time.

• frontenac1 says:

I loved his moxie too.but as I posted previously, he needs more Tilts at this level to “learn the trade”before he is up in the big league. It will come,.along with more meat and savy. I still think we need a big nasty D now until he is ready.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I still can’t figure out how the Habs couldn’t land Bryan Allen and was shocked that he only went for $3.5 mill. He’s no Bobby Orr but he was the best physical defenseman available who is actually a good defender.

I was expecting some team to overpay for him in a bidding war and he’d sign some ridiculous deal for $4 mill or $4.5 mill. I would have been happy if we landed him for $12 mill over three years.

• Mark C says:

I think the reason he got only $3.5M is because he is a black hole offensively and he’s 32. While Montreal needs a player like Allen, I’m glad they didn’t sign him, given his skills and age, he’s one lost step away from being on the bottom pair. Montreal isn’t in a good position to take on marginal talent for term and dollars like Allen got.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Hey thanks for the link! I wanted to see that fight badly. And ya, very cool that he went out of his way to sick up for Bournival!

7. Bripro says:

Jarret Stoll gives a player’s perspective on the current CBA negotiations. It’s not very encouraging.

*********************************************

• 24 Cups says:

I don’t know, it just sounds like a typical lament to me.

I’m sure we might hear the same thing from some of the owners.

The cat and mouse game continues.

If the USA Thanksgiving is a watershed, then the question is how many days would it take to bring everyone back to NA and then hold a short training camp (which begs another question of how many days that camp would require). No need for exhibition games so I’m thinking training camp needs to be ten days. Does this make sense?

• Bripro says:

It wouldn’t be much more than that, for sure.
        And I would think that would include time required for the players to return from their current whereabouts.

*********************************************

• Sean Bonjovi says:

My prediction is that the lock out will last another 53 weeks. I was never optimistic, but about a month ago the League reacted to what I saw as growing apathy with a “new” proposal which made me more cynical (because it strengthened my belief that blaming the players for the lock out is more important to the owners than actually ending it). In the last week or so I’ve also seen Darren Dreger and John Shannon (two MLSE media Tools IMO) start to paint Donald Fehr as the bad guy which, again I see as the NHL’s publicity battle taking precedent over good-faith negotiations, and, again makes me more cynical.

8. Bripro says:

On a different hockey front, this is funny.
    Luongo tweeted about Thomas, and got bombarded with
    hate tweets from incensed Bruins fans.

*********************************************

9. Hobie Hansen says:

Well since the Habs aren’t on the ice to get injured it only makes sense that the Bulldogs carry on the tradition…

10. jols101 says:

Very happy to read Geoffrion will make a full recovery. Very scary stuff. Heart goes out to him and his family.

Bulldogs site also said their next home game is on the 14th at 10:00 a.m. Is this a mistake? If not, why so early?

11. HabFab says:

Spike their drinks, time to loosen things up!

Real_ESPNLeBrun NHLPA says “A small PA/League informal lunch meeting is taking place”. Both sides will determine out of that the next step

12. HabFab says:

In other News;

Obama finally declared the winner of the Florida Presidential vote, good thing it wasn’t close.

Canada expected to lead the Group of 7 in Economic growth for the next 50 years…don’t frig it up you political hacks!

13. frontenac1 says:

That’s good news that the Med.Staff think he is going to be fine. Still can’t figure how he fractured his skull with his helmet on.

14. Phil C says:

I don’t like the hit on Geoffrion. Cote exploded up into him at impact, lifting him off the ice, with the subsequent fall causing the injury. Geoffrion was lifted at least a foot off the ice. To me this type of hit is more dangerous than jumping first because it creates tremendous instantaneous force, like snapping your hands through impact when striking a golf ball, or snapping your fist with rotation at the end of a punch. To me this hit meets the definition of charging because it is a violent hit as a result of distance travelled and Cote would have left his feet if he had not impacted Geoffrion first. Cote’s feet are off the ice after the impact as well. It was an intent to injure, not just to check which should not be a part of the game.

I know it’s a fine line at the speed both players were going, but it seems obvious to me that Cote was not making a hockey play, he wanted to hurt the other player. But I suspect my opinion is in the minority.

15. Haborama says:

My thoughts and prayers are with Geoffrion and his family.

How’s Dalton Thrower doing by the way???, have not heard any news on him lately…….

16. HabFab says:

Russo’s take on the moment;

SpectorsHockey Words of wisdom for #NHLCBA talks: Never wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it – George Bernard Shaw.

17. commandant says:

Glad to hear Geoffrion is expected to recover. Never want to see an injury to any player like that. A little scary that he’s still in the ICU though.

He’s been playing really well for the Dogs and will be tough to replace, but thats a minor concern compared with the young man’s health.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

18. Phil C says:

Does anyone know the mechanism of injury for Geoffrion? Was it the impact with the ice, or was it the skate to the face?

Habs are organizationally weak in nets. Price is a cornerstone for sure. Can’t build on him alone though.

• Bill J says:

Why not? The Devils built a successful franchise around Brodeur.

• HardHabits says:

Yes. And the Red Wings never had a high pick since Yzerman. Both teams are anomalies and exceptions.

How have teams faired with Luongo in nets? Price is not Brodeur and the Habs are not the Devils.

I still think the Habs need to have at least one (more) up and coming youngster between the pipes.

• Bill J says:

He got drafted by the Bruins, :( maybe next year they can get a good one, but personally I prefer they keep doing their thing.

Timmins rocked this past draft, keep letting him do that… Even Mayer would look hot with what the Habs will have on D in about 3-4 years.

• The Jackal says:

We can always trade for Jose Theodore ;)

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

20. BJ says:

I saw the game and the hit was a good one. I guess he never had time to protect himself once airborne and landed directly on his face (maybe the visor cut him)? Wishing him the best. I’ve seen 5-6 Bulldogs games and thought he had been one of the better players on the team so far this season.