Blackhawks, Bad Hits and Bag Skates

From the NY Times Slap Shot blog:

Helene
Elliott in The Los Angeles Times
says the N.H.L.’s three-game ban to
the Coyotes Shane Doan for this blindside head check on the Ducks Dan
Sexton (video) “was meant as a warning to fourth-liners and superstars that N.H.L.
justice will be blind. It’s a bold and overdue statement. And it must
become an enduring benchmark that leaves no room for favoritism or
inconsistent reasoning that has eroded the league’s credibility.”

Colin
Campbell, the league’s vice president of hockey operations, said in an
email to Elliott that “This is a very difficult call to assess live as we
don’t want the referees guessing. Late and to the head from the blind
side are plays we are attempting to extinguish in the game today.”

The difficulty was apparent when the league rescinded the game
misconduct call last Friday on the Penguins’ Kris Letang, who hit the
Islanders’ Blake Comeau from the blindside, but shoulder to shoulder (video) and on TSN last night, Damien Cox suggested to Gino Reda (video) that the
league should institute video review for blindside hits at rinkside to
determine if the hit was shoulder to head or not.

“This is a
game-changing call, Gino, and I think you want to get this hit out of
the game, but you want to make sure it’s right,” Cox said.

Reda asked why the
league is having problems with this call. Cox answered that the league
is trying to get blindside hits to the head out of the game but not all
hits to the head, which puts uncertainty in the minds of the officials.

“What went wrong is they tried to be half-pregnant. They wanted to get some
of the head shots out of the game but not all of the head shots out of
the game,” Cox said.

Continue reading “The Morning Skate: Blackhawks, Bad Hits and Bag Skates.” >>

1. Da Hema says:

I know it is unrelated to the thread topic, but should we start a pool for how long the Leaves will remain in first place?

I give them until 21 October 2010.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

2. RiverviewCanadien says:

2 top movies of all time for myself.

- Cube
    - Resevoir Dogs

Use your brain to think FOR YOURSELF for once and follow the link.

Follow the link below goad. Follow the link below goad.
    Follow, follow, follow, follow,
    Follow the link below goad.

We’re off to slink like lizards, uncomfortable slithering thoughts.
    You’ll find he thinks things you wouldn’t believe! And posts it all days because.
    If ever oh ever he says! not those that differed of thoughts is one because,
    Because, because, because, because, because.
    Because of the unbelievable posts that he does.
    We’re off to slink like lizards. uncomfortable slithering thoughts!

4. RiverviewCanadien says:

LMAO

5. RiverviewCanadien says:

Love Apocolypse Now…feel bad for the cow though. And that number is pretty accurate. That is why I say Duel should be at least 8.5. I would put Duel at the same level.

6. fbkj says:

i hope hes for real, cuz if hes trolling, or if hes a sociology experiment, then ill feel punked lol

7. fbkj says:

the BEST plot summary on imdb, is for elvis gratton

sure thats what its about but dont break it down to the point of MORE AWESOME

8. punkster says:

Dr. Strangelove, Apocolypse Now, Lawrence of Arabia…all 8.6…been my top 3 for years.

9. punkster says:

I just finished reading the comments on this thread and I must say this; the conversations Tony gets involved in are anything but boring. He brings out the best comebacks from the commentariat. There’s just no telling where he’s going to lead you next.

10. RiverviewCanadien says:

I go by IMDB as well, but not necessarily agree with all the ratings, because the recommendation are usually pretty good. But a great site for movies nonetheless.

They rated one of my favorite movies lower than I would have…Duel only got a 7.7…should have been at least an 8.5.

EDIT: IMDB has this under the rating “A business commuter is pursued and terrorized by a malevolent driver of a massive tractor-trailer.” How can you NOT want to watch this, it was also Spielbergs first film.

Damn Leftists Spewing……ah nevermind ;)

11. fbkj says:

i know bonafide straussist american neo-cons that would be confused as to what this guys point is

12. punkster says:

Sic ‘im boy, you got ‘im treed now.

13. fbkj says:

i never said you said it was better, was pointing out that se7en was better

14. fbkj says:

you live in effing ville saint laurent who the hell cares whats going on on american cable

besides habs games are meant to be watched in french, so say we all

15. observer says:

I didn’t say it was better. I meant Header is one of the sickest most disgusting movies ever produced.

16. observer says:

Just made my argument! – And you can’t get all Habs games in English on TV BECAUSE of similar suits here.

17. fbkj says:

your not insulting him, but your saying he is a leftist spewing leftist garbage

he knows he is (this is suggesting deceit on his end)

but so do you (ah HAH your on to him)

explain leftist please, because this is funny

18. fbkj says:

5.3 on imdb as opposed to the 8.7 scored by se7en

19. observer says:

not insulting him. all i said he is a leftist spewing leftist garbage as usual. he knows he is, so do i. and he’s a phony and a holier than thou on top of it. immediate video replay on penalties he wants! i guess maybe the ref himself should also give the player a hearing right there at center ice if the player appeals it. if cox has an opinion on anything i dont care if he says today is tuesday – it still means nothing.

20. fbkj says:

ughhhh i use videotron

the hell are you smoking?

21. observer says:

Did you see Steve Young, Millen and Dilfer last night after the MNF game on ESPN furious that these suits are changing a sport that is and always has been physical where Nighttrain Lanes were heros or in hockey case guys like Scott Stevens and many others played hockey how it always was played. That’s pre- NYC shyster lawyers getting control of those sports. As I said absolutely no co-incidence that both these 2 100 year old leagues does this happen about on the same day.

22. fbkj says:

explain, to those of us that havent been innundated into the sillyness that is partisan divide, how left winger, is an insult

23. observer says:

Since you like heads in boxes then you should watch a movie called “Header” far more disturbing than Seven.

24. observer says:

if it quacks like, waddles like one  -   it is a left winger

25. rocketsglare says:

But P.K. can be at times out of control from the point with some wild and inaccurate shots. When he is under

control, he is able to move the puck efficiently to others or take a better shot from the point on the PP. But,

he is definitely a good choice to shoot from the point and with Markov soon returning, P.K. will benefit from an

experienced and savvy PP specialist. P.K. may in time become this team’s eventual PP specialist.

26. observer says:

biggest cable system in nyc is cablevision owned by dolan who owns rangers. dolan and murdoch of fox (2 billionaires)had long simmering dispute over who could ripoff the public more for cable fees – fox or cablevision and fox pulled their channel off nyc cablevision tv this weekend. giants game was not televised in nyc nor was nlcs. you young green people really are ignorant if you dont yet realize that suits not athletes run pro sports.

27. fbkj says:

not to MENTION were FORCED to read his op-ed, liberal, leftist DRIVEL

which in turn MAKES us POST ON THE INTERNETS!

28. observer says:

Cox is a holier than thou – I sincerely doubt he’d ever apologize for that, in fact he’d blame someone else. What is surprising is he wants video replay for penalties when he himself was against video replay. Besides I thought he specialized in Tiger Woods, Roger Clemens, A-Rod, Sean Avery, etc., etc., etc. – i.e. – athletes’ morals?

29. otter649 says:

Cox was the guy who caused the rumour of Pat Burns death awhile back – He heard Cliff Fletcher mention it and so instead of checking a source other than Fletcher he twitted it and the incorrect news took off……..

30. fbkj says:

no doubt but what i meant was, markie got injured at the beginning of the season and things were doom and gloom, sign mab we did

this year, were getting him back…

but like you said, see whats up then

You know a douche does wonders for a sandy vagina.

I think they should give swords and shields to UFC fighters and let them go to the death. All this knock-out stuff and choke holds or pinning to the mat is so tame. Bring back gladiators and Lions and Christians. Stupid lefties!!!

33. fbkj says:

its literally the only thing that came to mind when i read that post

call me lazy (thanks copy paste)

34. ManApart says:

It’s too early to make any moves and we have to see how the PP looks when Markov returns, but MAB is there if things don’t improve. The PP was troubled last season also, until MAB came on board and the Habs ended up 2nd best. If you don’t have a top half PP in this league, you will have a lot of trouble winning consistently in this league. Ask JM, he’s all about specialty teams.

35. Bill J says:

+2 to you for using the quote.

Nice one! lol

36. fbkj says:

thats cuz yur a socialist commie ;)

37. Bill J says:

Se7en = one of my all time favourite movies – and yes you are correct.

38. Bill J says:

If by greenhorn you’re implying I aspire to be “like you”

I REJECT the title!

Pick another Greenhorn.

39. ManApart says:

Brad Pitt to Kevin Spacey in Seven?

40. avatar_58 says:

I don’t understand anyone who uses “left wing” to start an insult.

41. Omit says:

Tony,

They miss you in the village.

42. Muckbringer says:

monkey endtrails??

43. Muckbringer says:

he would get back as well

44. Muckbringer says:

on the power play anyone can tee one up.  it all depends on whos infront and whos gonna win the chase back. and again, thats anyone but spac (skillsy, given)

45. fbkj says:

… i guess its like tea leaves…

46. fbkj says:

observer i can only think of one movie quote when i read your posts

mods bear with me here plz

“I’ve been trying to figure something in my head, and maybe you can help
    me out, yeah? When a person is insane, as you clearly are, do you know
    that you’re insane? Maybe you’re just sitting around, reading “Guns and
    Ammo”, masturbating in your own feces, do you just stop and go, “Wow! It
    is amazing how fucking crazy I really am!”? Yeah. Do you guys do that”
  47. Muckbringer says:

i think hes saying pro sports is opening a can of worms here.  after all, isnt there a reason their respective unions have fought for the large pay cheques?

48. Bill J says:

Are you trying to get banned tonight ? lol

49. observer says:

DAMIAN COX is a typical leftwing, holier than thou, hypocrite, know it all sportswriter/commentator who couldn’t lick the boots of any athlete -PERIOD. But like all such as him – he considers HIMSELF as a very MORAL person! Yeah right!

50. fbkj says:

not trying to create a straw man here but you havent given me much to work with

are you suggesting that trying to prevent head injuries is a money grab?

51. Bill J says:

WTF?

Seriously where do you come up with these posts ?

Wait – NM, I do not want to know!

52. observer says:

All of a sudden NHL hockey and the NFL both run by suits and ties consider these sports to be too violent. How about touch hockey and touch NFL football instead? The lawyers and BUSINESSMAN MONEY GRABBERS are ruining pro sports and all sports.

53. fbkj says:

no doubt he scored some huge goals but remember when we signed him we were in a completely different situation than we are now…

yes i realize the PP needs a boost but as is, the team is doing a good job holding the fort for markov

i know, we shouldnt just depend on one guy for our PP but i think we do have (at the moment) wiggle room to allow the team to improve as a whole…

54. Bill J says:

Problem with MAB though.

He is still not ready to play, and I think any responsible team will carefully look at MAB & his injury/recovery.

Sans injury, I agree MAB > Picard.

BUT – with Markov out, and Hamrlik out to begin the season, Picard was a sound addition.

55. Bill J says:

PK has not used his booming shot yet in MTL.

That is what I was referring to.  As was ManApart, because of the MAB reference.

56. ManApart says:

PK does have a good shot. I saw it in the Hammer. It’s not like Mab’s though. We’ll see PK on the right point when Markov gets back. I just don’t see it being the threat Mab’s was. I think Weber has a better point shot than PK. PK is very adept at sneaking into the slot and shooting from there. This is the NHL, and it won’t be nearly as easy as it was in Junior or the A. Would Mab be that much worse than Picard? I was looking at highlights fromlast year, and that guy made goals out of nothing. A very accurate shot as well as wicked. He was only -7 last year. Not bad considering he had to play a lot more minutes than he should have because of multiple defensive injuries.

57. Everlasting1 says:

He’s in the role already.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

58. Bill J says:

I think PK has the shot, those who have seen in play in Hamilton / Belleville, or the WJHC have seen it.

I would be interested to see PK given that role, while on the PP.

59. ManApart says:

News from TSN that Markov will not play this Thursday or Saturday. Looks like next week at the earliest. Also JM stated that after the Habs have went 1 for 17 on the PP this season, Spacek will no longer be playing the right point. He didn’t say who will replace him. You cannot underestimate the importance of the big point shot. This PP misses MAB big time. Say what you want about his defensive game, he made up for it on the PP. Even when he didn’t score, he opened up the down low and slot plays just by being there.

60. fbkj says:

OT: ATTN fellow ifone users.;

behold our new killer app

61. ManApart says:

I don’t think I’m in the majority, but I would like links to interesting stories on other teams or junior, AHL. Not little mundane articles, but news worthy items. Higher Nightmare49 (think that’s his name) to scan the web for them. He knows how to pick the interesting news from the ordinary. If he had a feature everyday of links, I, and I’m sure others, would really enjoy it. Some times the same old Habs news gets boring ie. Who should we put with Gio and Gomez. Going on for more than a year, Lapierre, D’Ags, Lats, Patches, Eller, Moen, Pyatt, Metro, Cammy, Sk74, Pouliot. I think there are alot more interesting hockey topics than that hopeless question. I think it would do a lot of posters some good to broaden their view of the game and it’s players. Some tend to get too caught up in the “Habs bubble” and lose perspective. Just my opinion.

62. SeriousFan09 says:

Try Kukla’s Corner in the sidebar links, they usually carry a lot of good topics.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

63. Bill J says:

Agree (there’s something I didn’t see myself saying about one of your posts)

THE best post I’ve ever seen you write.

I fully agree, far too often topics go round and round.  Keep in mind, you partake in the same merry-go-round yourself.

64. twocents says:

If he continues to produce at a ridiculous rate, room will be made for him. Maybe he’ll get a shot on the wing with GG. Or, some opportunity, due to injury, is bound to come along sooner or later.

Nothing is ever as clear cut as all that.

65. HabFanSince72 says:

3 games is a slap on the wrist.

66. captaink4life says:

1 game is a slap on the wrist. 3 games is 3.7% of the regular season. That’s pretty substantial for a hit that wasn’t even being penalized last year.

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

67. Keith says:

Just saw a great little feature (funny one lol) on TSN about Josh Gorges and how much his stock has risen with the Habs. PG has GOT to sign this guy to a long-term deal. Right now he is arguably our best defenseman on the team, and our only pp producer so far. SIGN HIM PIERRE!!!

68. ManApart says:

Thanks, i’ll check it out

69. ManApart says:

You should have seen my stuff 2 years ago, before I went crazy.

I’ve seen your stuff from last year which was more often than not a good read. What happened?

71. marshx says:

Shane Doan and anyone who pulls those hits is a punk.

Can’t believe that guy was actually an alternate captain of Team Canada … and even on Team Canada for that matter….

72. samTHEman says:

Stamkos should of taken his spot. Doan…rofl.

73. matmacat says:

Sometimes we let our emotions get the best of us. Shane Doan is a great leader who had a moment of weakness. I’m sure he agrees with his suspension and will learn from it.

74. Jordio-oh says:

Agreed. Doan isn’t a malicious player. Dangerous hit, no question. A miscalculation in the heat of battle and hopefully he doesn’t do it again.

Besides, i don’t believe Doan’s ever been suspended for something like this. At least according to his player bio on TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1013

75. Greg says:

Also agreed. This doesn’t make Doan a dirty player.

“I lined up next to him at a faceoff, looked over and said “Hi Rocket”. All he did was growl.”

-Gordie Howe

76. Big Ted says:

Shane Doan is a good hockey player, but he’s far from a Lady Byng candidate. I would still like to see whether a guy like Crosby, Ovechkin, or Hossa gets the same punishment. The way things have gone in the past, the NHL just spins things the way they see fit at the time. More than anything, I just want to see them be consistent with the suspensions they give out, whether the penalty is 1 game, 3 games, 10 games, or 20 games. Just make sure it’s the same for everyone.

Fan Summit Updates  Check The Summit Page

The Gainey Foundation Raffle and Donations.

78. twocents says:

I suspect someone has already mentioned this, but Weber and Maxwell have had a very hot start with the Dogs. Weber is 1G 4A in 2 games and Maxwell is 3G, 1A.

79. mike g says:

Yup…

Too bad though for Maxwell, because he’ll likely be in the AHL this year barring injuries to Gomez or Pleks.

He’s an offensive-minded centerman, who’s not fit in a 3rd line role. The only way he cracks our team is as a top 2 centerman, and that’s not gonna happen.

Judging by that train of thinking, you gotta wonder if the Habs are hoping he plays lights out in Hamilton this year and then they maximize his trade value at the deadline or something.

We’ll see….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

80. nick says:

They had to perfect oppourtunity to do that last season when Ovechkin took out Brian Campbell.

He got 1 game for being a “repeat offender”.

Lapierre did the same thing (a few weeks ealier) and got 3 games…

That is despite the fact Campbell was out for a couple weeks – the guy Lapierre hit was fine (if memory serves me correctly).

Better late than never I guess. It should be interesting to see this season if it applies all the way up to the likes of NHL poster boys? :P

81. samTHEman says:

Lappy got 4 games not 3. And I thought the Ovechkin hit was worse than Lapierre`s. All Lapierre did was shove Nichol, who`s done much worse in his career.