Big week begins

Enough of the Sabres!

Enough of the Islanders!

Enough … actually, too much of the Senators.

The mighty Canucks are at the Bell Centre tomorrow night.

On Thursday, the Canadiens are in Boston.

Fans are going to learn to learn some things about the team this week.

• Dave Stubbs on Brian Gionta’s goal drought

• Red Fisher on the loss to Ottawa

• Jack Todd is not impressed by Scott Gomez, Maxim Lapierre

Yvon Pedneault on Gomez

Martin Leclerc on Benoit Pouliot

Today’s argument-starter: How many shutouts would Carey Price have if he were playing behind the surging St. Louis Blues?

Ty Conklin? Really??

And CKAC reports the Blues were talking trade to Pierre Gauthier during the playoffs.

1. jimmy shaker says:

Yes they do have the cap space for MAB, but adding another D-man to the 8 that are already there doesn’t make any sense.  I’d move out Spacek and Hammer because they basically are wasting two d-spots, bring in MAB and let Picard see the ice.  And I don’t see any of the forwards being waived/traded  or sent down to hamilton for MAB.

2. K-hab25 says:

BS!!! You were apart of the group that wanted Halak to play as soon as Huet was traded, despite the fact that Price was dominating. The argument was it wasn’t fair to Halak, Price was just handed the job. He didn’t have to earn it through “competition”. So again nordique fan, why was it important for Price to have to earn his spot through competition, but you feel Subban should just be given his spot, because he’s a “stud”?

3. TripleX says:

I remember SCREAMING OBSCENITIES at the tv when TSN announced this deal.  WTF?  Is Gainey totally delusional to take on Sather’s blunder PLUS give assets in return?

The Gainey gift that keeps on giving and giving.  And Molson keeps him on as an advisor?

I think we both said soon after that this deal would handcuff the franchise for years and was a huge disaster.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

4. Mark C says:

Montreal wouldn’t need to dump either of those two to make room for MAB. The team would have to open up a roster space for him, no matter who that player was would create enough cap space for MAB.

5. Storm Man says:

The bum on the street next to the LRT calls them like he sees them also, Guess he know’s what he is talking about also.

6. jimmy shaker says:

Great point my friend.  Get him out there on the 3rd pairing 12-15 minutes a game.  Hopefully 4-5 of those minutes are on the PP and everything should be fine.  But the biggest factor to signing MAB is dumping Hammer or Spacek’s contract, freeing up money for more wiggle room for PG to tinker.

7. ManApart says:

I agree with your last paragraph 100%. As for hating Todd, I think Habs fans just hate to hear the truth. They can’t deal with it. They rather live in a fantasy world, where everything the Habs do is the greatest, like it was the ’70’s again.

8. ManApart says:

I work for no team. I just call ’em like I see ’em.

9. jimmy shaker says:

He’s been shite (hammer) since last years playoffs.  He and spacek lack speed, look lost out there and take bad penalties time and time again.  They contribute zero to the offense and are not really a shutdown pair of D anymore.  The money saved by dumping these two would/could be used to better the top 6 for sure.  At least MAB can skate, join the rush and contribute offensively.  He’s hell of alot cheaper, takes the body more than hammer and spacek and while sometimes a circus out there in our zone, I’ll stll take his offensive potential to the none that hammer and spacek (which he was brought here to do…..get some points) provide.  And to end Spacek and asset do not belong together in the same sentence.

10. ManApart says:

I agree with you. The pp is the worst in the league. It CAN’T get any worse. IT was also struggling big time until MAB came in last year. It then started it’s rise to 2nd in the league, by April. MAB was only -7 last year, while playing huge minutes against top lines, because of all the defensive injuries. Play him 12 minutes a game against the oppositions 3rd and 4th lines and he will be OK, and maybe we can score a few goals for God sakes.

11. Mark C says:

Montreal does support and double cover players with the puck, all team do this, at some level. Montreal is no longer collapsing on the goalie to block shots as much as in they did in the playoffs (Montreal is 7th in shots allowed and is 10th in blocked shots).

Martin’s non-system allows one more shot per game than St. Louis’ great system, how can this be?

12. The Cat says:

I never said such a thing that Price needed competition from Halak. I always was pro Halak. I like players that deliver.

13. ManApart says:

LOL, Gainey gave us an 8 million dollar one in Gomez…..Right guys?

14. Storm Man says:

What NHL team do you work for again?

15. ManApart says:

They would have to meet in the Finals. The only finals the Habs might see this spring, would be on the golf course. All I have to say about St.Louis is , never underestimate the little Slovak :)

16. Storm Man says:

He has a press conference at 4pm today.

17. smiler2729 says:

Oh don’t get me wrong, I have NO PROBLEM with him at all as I stated BUT I’m just surprized the vultures here haven’t picked at him yet cuz he hasn’t scored 5 goals and 10 assists lately while leading the PP.

I love the guy and am going to be patient no matter how low/high his peaks and valleys go. Just like Price… and even Pouliot.

The Habs are sitting nicely in the standings even though the scoring lines are sputtering… wait til they get on track!

18. punkster says:

I was at the game and I too watched Gomez. What I saw was a player
    who seemed no more or less interested, no more or less involved and no
    more or less motivated than anyone else on the ice. Apart from 60 Minute
    . I saw no Habs player who was truely focused in that game. What I did
    see were Habs wingers hanging out at the opposition blue line while the
    play was deep in our end. I saw Habs wingers hanging out at the top of
    the circles while one Hab was behind the Sens net trying to get the
    puck. I saw Habs D-men get possesion of the puck in our zone, move the
    puck to Habs forwards only to have the forwards cut to the middle of the
    ice and get stripped or blocked or forced to dump the puck in with no
    possible play.

I walked out to get a coffee before the end of the
    second just to wake up. I walked out to get another near the end of the
    third for the same reason. I missed both Habs goals but the fact is I
    didn’t miss a thing. This was the most boring NHL game I have ever
    witnessed in person and the entire team sleepwalked through the game.

Go ahead and trash any particular player you want but the entire team, apart from Price, has not shown up for the past few games. Oh sure there have been exceptions at times and we have a great 3rd line yada-yada-yada but where is this team? Where are their heads? (insert obvious answer here_____)

19. Corio says:

He will have ups/downs, he is still developing and is really trying hard to prove himself, sometimes too hard.  He just has to keep his head on straight, stop jabbering and keep his plays simple.

20. ManApart says:

I’m not surprised he’s been the best at all. I said last year after seeing his play that he was on his way. I didn’t think he would be doing this well though. Not for an ordinary team that’s made the playoffs once in 6 years. I’m scared to see what else will happen. I mean the Blues have already had their greatest start in franchise history (43 years) and have the best winning % in the league. It truly is incredible what one player can do.

21. K-hab25 says:

Weren’t you apart of the crowd that thought Price needs competition and were whining about playing Halak more, even when Price was clearly playing well. Now with Subban you’ve changed your tune and competition is bad for a young “studs” growth. I guess it had more to do with your distaste for Price, or maybe your love for Subban.

22. Mark C says:

He’s going to be a UFA and it seems he’ll be moving down the depth chart pretty fast. Given the quality of the Blues young D, I think he’s not a must sign.

23. SmartDog says:

Trade Markov AND Gomez and get rid of a problem along with wisely exchanging a spendable asset to fill in where we are weak.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

24. avatar_58 says:

A rookie is playing 22+ minutes a game, getting asists and stopping pucks but it’s not good enough? Wow habs fans…..

25. SmartDog says:

Uh oh. I hear the “JM is ruining another young player” mantra warming up.

Who knows? Might even be true. The team hasn’t handled Price well. Dags and Lats went on to much brighter fortunes pretty much the instant they left JM’s barn. Halak is even BETTER in St. Louis. And of course O’Byrne with all his promise is eyeing purses from the press box.

Oh no!  I started the mantra myself!!!

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

26. Hagar says:

So it’s all on Scott for Gio’s scoring drought. That’s actually kind of funny. I always thought that when he said his passing passing the puck to Gio was the reason for Gio’s success that he was kidding around. Now I know that’s not true. Gio lives and dies by Scott. Scott Gomez is the f’ing man.

27. The Cat says:

If you read, it said they dont play one on one, and sometimes they support ie doubleteam, the habs dont do that, they collapse on the goalie and block shots -that was the system in the playoffs. And dont forget most teams play the trap, its just some do it better than others, and yes Einstein, thats the coaches job.

28. ManApart says:

You gotta be crazy to want Gomez over Richards. It’s like wanting Gainey/Gauthier as GM over Ken Holland. I’ve said it since day one. Aquiring Gomez and his salary was an incredibly dumb move by Gainey which reeked of desperation. It hurt the Club more than anyother move in his tenure.

29. shiram says:

I dont like how long he takes to wind up his shot… but he’s fine otherwise, nothing to worry about.

30. Mark C says:

So the Blues have a skating and support system in place. You’re right, that’s a real defensive system, a lot more to that than Martin’s no system at all. Thanks for the info.

31. The Cat says:

Subban is a stud and like most studs he probably doesnt like competition. I say trade Markov for a centreman and watch the pieces fall into place.

32. Everlasting1 says:

Brewer the captain?

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

33. rocketsglare says:

Wade Phillips still has a job this morning. Incredible.

34. SmartDog says:

Okay, I get the problem with Jack and I wasn’t defending him.  (God knows from what I understand he’ll never DEFEND ME!)

But as many posters below are saying, there are obvious weaknesses in Gomez’s game (“He’s drifting…floating by comparison to what he is capable of” – HardHabits; “There is ZERO reason to make a no-look pass when you are down a goal or two. It’s pointless and dangerous.” – avatar_58; “…in the offensive zone, Gomez sits on the boards and takes passes and
    tries to dish to other players. He doesn’t chase down the puck, and he
    makes his other linemates do all the skating.” Mattyleg). It’s not like I’m the only one who sees this stuff.

What kills me is that people who like Gomez deny any of this.  Okay, so the guy has some good skills.  It doesn’t make it okay to play out of position, make dumb blind passes, and wait for other people to do the job he needs to do.  And I agree with HardHabits – he CAN play better.  He’s his own problem.  It pisses me off that people have blamed Gio (or Kostits or whoever) for not putting his crappy passes into the net.  The line in New York was “Gomez is a gourmet chef but no-one can eat his cooking”.  He doesn’t play his position properly so a lot of his passes are in odd situations and from weird angles, or no-look passes that miss the mark.  Terrible to watch, just terrible.  Compare Pleks tape-to-tape saucer passes, beautifully timed after he waits patiently for the other team’s players to commit, to Gomez’s “I’ll fling it at you and you score” approach and you can see why Gomez has 3 points and Pleks has 11 and is 4 up in +/-.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

35. The Cat says:

People better not complain about Subban, hes the jewel of the organization IMO

36. The Cat says:

37. Julie H says:

You just opened Pandora’s box. PK looked so promising at the end of last season and for at least the pre season this year. For the past few games he has just looked totally lost out there on the ice. Perhaps there should be a bit more experimentation with the defensive pairings.

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

38. Mark C says:

They won’t have that space next year. Oshie, Berglund, Backes, Brewer, and Polak need new contracts this off-season. Those are all must signs outside of Brewer.

39. nick says:

Forget Richards… Get Steve Ott straight up for Scott Gomez.

Mind you, MTL would probably have to toss in a prospect to sweeten the deal.

40. howtathor says:

If JM would take the muzzle off…

41. Slovak says:

Jaro will be a great goalie and i do really hope MTL and Blues will meet in the playoffs :)

Have a nice day out there.

42. smiler2729 says:

How come no one’s bitching about PK Subban yet?

Where’s the next Bobby Orr some of you said he was?

I have no problem with giving him time (and lots of it!), just like Price but I’m in the minority.

Just surprized the whining about him hasn’t begun… yet.

43. Mark C says:

What defensive system do the Blues use?

44. andrewberkshire says:

Maybe if Jack Todd had any balls I’d read his article. He literally waits until everyone else in Habs land has complained about Gomez before he says anything. Cowardly.