Bettman ‘thoroughly disappointed’ with NHLPA offers

Bettweb

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman addressed reporters in Toronto at 4 p.m. Thursday and didn’t have good news for hockey fans hoping for an end to the lockout and an 82-game season starting on Nov. 2.

Bettman said he is “thoroughly disappointed” with the three counter-proposals made by the players’ association Thursday, adding that some franchises thought the league went too far with the offer it made to the NHLPA earlier this week, offering to split revenue 50/50.

“None of the three variations of player share that they gave us even began to approach 50-50, either at all or for some long period of time,” Bettman said. “It’s clear we’re not speaking the same language.”

Bettman added that no new talks are scheduled. Bettman has stated that for a full 82-game season to start on Nov. 2, a new CBA would need to be signed by Oct. 25 with training camps opening the next day.

NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr told reporters Thursday that the players would sacrifice nearly $1.8 billion in revenue under the league’s proposal.

“This is not a good day,” Fehr told reporters. “It should have been.”

You can read more by clicking here.

You can read Dave Stubbs’s Q&A feature with Don Cherry from today’s Hockey Inside/Out section in The Gazette talking about the lockout by clicking here.

You can read an article by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell’s on how the NHL and NHLPA need to find an alternative method to settle their differences by clicking here.

Branswell also has an article setting up the Hamilton Bulldogs’ AHL home opener Saturday night against the Toronto Marlies, which you can read by clicking here. Game time is 7 p.m. and you can listen to it on TSN 690 Radio.

And The Gazette’s Steve Faguy reports that TSN 690 will live on after Thursday’s announcement that the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has denied an application by BCE Inc. to acquire Astral Media Inc. Read more by clicking here.

(Photo by Chris Young/Canadian Press)

1. RetroMikey says:

Damn you dirty stinking overpaid, greedy, no good, hockey players…damn you!
    Can’t hockey fans realize that this sport compares nothing to MLB, the NFL, or the NBA when in fact, hockey is just the number 4 major sport in North America.
    Sorry but have to side with the owners….their offer was more than fair.
    Would not be surprised if most players are feeling that a union was a good thing of the past and would jump ship to the other side.
    Hmmmm, whose going to be the first to break his silence and criticize Donald Fehr?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

2. wjc says:

Yea freeze your ass off outside, get yourself some
    catalogues and use em for knee pads…no raisin the puck now….crawl around in the snow bank and look for the puck somewhere in there, cause there is a hole where the puck went in. Shovel the rink every 15 minutes if it snows and you cannot skate in the deep snow.

Put up two frozen snow pieces for goaly nets. Then argue every time you score if it was in or not and if the snow pieces got moved.
    Use the snow build up to stop the puck for you. No pads for you, just stand there and take one for the team.

No sweaters so everyone is confused who is actually playing on which team. 17 kids on each team, playing with a broken stick with just a nub at the end. Aw yes, the good ole days.

Go to minor hockey and listen to the parents berate the ref. Scream at the coach, under mine the coach, slur the coach, fight in the stands. Treat a little game like the seventh game of the Stanley cup final.

Yes the good ole days when outside rinks could be built because we actually had winter that stayed cold for two month. Not mild spells with rain.
    wjc

3. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m not a calculating lawyer, only an air-headed architect …but in My messy little World a ‘contract’ is a contract is a …contract
    …once You, or I, do not meet the written-terms of Our agreement, the contract no longer exists, and/or You, or I, have the legal right to sue the $hite out of Me, or You

…am I close to being right ?

…if the owners are saying to the Ovechkins, Kovalchuks, Luongos, Gomezs, Suters, Parises, Lecavaliers or any other less remunerated ‘sluggos’ (as Don Cherry calls them) we intend to pay You less than we mutually agreed, does that not mean ‘the contract’ is no longer, legally, in-effect

…doesn’t this give Me ‘a right’ to consider ‘the contract’ null and void ? …doesn’t said owner’s non-compliance of the effect of the contract, mean that, at My option, I am back on the market for My services to the highest bidder ? …in other words, am I not now, at My option, a Free Agent ???

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• solomio says:

So read the fine print and try to sue me ( us )

“I figure Bergevin has 3 or 4 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

4. L Elle says:

Classical music, you say?

HabFab, I hope I look like the cute skinny one. ;)

5. Mondou6 says:

Why do some people blame Fehr for killing the Expos? It’s not like Olympic Stadium was packed before the baseball strike. It was empty most of the time.

I’m sorry the Expos left, but I always remember them as a franchise with very few fans.

• mksness says:

well the year of the strike, the stadium was getting 34-40k people just prior to the strike; it was booming. mlb killed the expos and the fans didn’t help much after the fire sale and why should they have?

• boing007 says:

I was at the Big O in the late 70s and early 80s and the place was rockin’.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

On the bright side, Markov and his knee can permanently stay in Russia.

7. Bripro says:

I’m confused.
    The NHL showed (in writing… on the world wide web …. for all to see….)
    that they were offering a 50/50 split.
    Then Fehrbutt (yes, the butt has transferred allegiances) says that it’s not a 50/50 split.
    So what is it Donald, the rate of exchange from U.S. $ from New York to Can. $ in Toronto?

By the way, EriK Cole tweeted: “I think this is probably part of (NHL’s) script.”
    Does this mean that the players will remain behind Fehr?
    Because if this happens, the season is done, and two teams will be in financial ruin come next season (ref.: Montreal Expos, 1995)

EDIT: The Yankees are done like dinner!

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

• mksness says:

it’s rather simple. it’s 50/50 but with a massive pay cut…

the owners would be singing a different song if they had to pay out the contracts they signed. the next range of contracts will all be about guaranteed money. That way the owners won’t be able to say buddy come back to play on our terms or buzz off.

i still feel the players are getting screwed. if you think the players are over paid, don’t watch, don’t go to the games and watch your local hockey team ( midget, junior or whatever). bottom line is we want to see and watch the best and in this case the product is the players and without it the owners have zip.

8. Mustang says:

I have been a fan of Les Canadiens for as long as I can remember and I love the game of hockey. However I must admit that I am beginning to despise the NHL, Bettman, Fehr, the NHL owners, the NHLPA, the greedy players, and the entire business side of professional hockey. The fans are the only ones that still love the game. Everyone associated with the NHL only wants to get every last dime they can and not one of them gives a damn about the fans. They can all go to hell.

• Psycho29 says:

Took the words right out of my mouth. It’s going to be a long long time before they get another penny out of me. And I’ve been a fan for about 50 years

• mksness says:

hockey = game
      nhl = business

once you understand that you’ll be okay.

• wjc says:

If this deal does not go through on October 26th, then I am officially a fan of the “lockout”. I will check every week or so to see what the latest dance is.

All the opinions on right and wrong and greed this and greedy that.
      It would be funny and fun to watch both sides as they dance to a different tune and the commentators blabbing on and on about hockey revenue’s and the split and right and wrong and the poor fans.

They use the fans money, but once you hand it over, it becomes their money to spend, waste anyway they want.

After the 26th of October I hope the lock out continues for a long time.

wjc

• boing007 says:

My sentiments exactly. All of them can take a hike.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

9. Lafrich says:

TSN: “Accoring to Fehr, the first of their three scenarios would hit 50-50 in three years, the second would hit 50-50 by year five, and the third hits the 50-50 hockey related revenue split immediately, but only if the owners honor all current contracts at 100%.

The third scenario, if true is the fair proposal. Point Finale. The owners were signing players left and right at the eleventh hour, and I see no reason to believe that they should reneg on those contracts. If they did, it would imply that they offered the contracts in bad faith.

10. English is not a Crime says:

What company pays it’s employees more than it’s owner? That’s easy, pretty much every company on the planet. Does anyone really think that every employee of say GM combined have a lower salary than the guy sitting in the CEO chair? Come on, give your head a shake and stop making lame excuses already.

If you’re angry at the salary that players make, so be it, if the owners don’t want to pay them that much, so be it…. (duuuur *picks nose* don’t deleted give them the money then) however if the owner offers the player money, and the player accepts that money, you’d have to be a moron to try blaming the player for taking too much.

It’s not a strike, it’s an owner’s lockout. It’s not even a negotiation, it’s a typical every 5 years or so need for Bettman to swing his tiny little member at everyone and show them all who’s boss. He’s not trying to negotiate, he’s just trying to break the union again. He sent out a very weak and thin PR stunt earlier in the week to get the clueless sheep on his side, since they weren’t on his side and it worked, the truly clueless now all blame the players for not jumping on the offer that saw the players making every single concession in the list and having to lose 1.6 billion dollars for the honour of making all of those concessions and people can’t believe how greedy the players are for not accepting such a generous and fair offer?

NHLPA makes 3 separate offers today and Bettman declined all three within 5 minutes without even looking at them…. but he’s clearly trying to negotiate????

This season’s a wash, the best hockey fans can hope for is that ultimately Bettman loses his job this time around and there won’t be regular lockouts every few years (4 work stoppages in his 20 year tenure) anymore.

• solomio says:

You’re right English but keep in mind that Bettman is also an employee who does the owners bidding. If he were to lose his job just imagine what would take his place!

• wjc says:

Geeze where do one start, ENGLISH IS NOT A CRIME.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic when you say” does anyone think that every employee in G.M makes more then a CEO”, hope I got that right. Every employee in G.M. (union) would be a fraction of total revenue’s. Below 20%.

You are on the players side that is obvious. It has tainted your vision a little.

True it is a lockout. But think about it, if they cannot get a deal now. How would they get one when playing. The players could then hang a strike over the owners heads at the worst possible time.

To say Bettman took 5 minutes to read the proposals over is something you made up. He said within 15 minutes he could see that they were not on the same page. He has been living this for the last year, do you not think he and his assistance know what they are looking for in short order.

The contract came due, corrections had to be made. Regardless of what you want to think the players did very well over the last 6 years. There share of revenues kept going up and had to be brought back for a correction.

Now it is the players who say they just keep giving…..with a straight face, no less. The truth of the matter is most of the players do not what this work stoppage and given an opportunity would vote it in.

Bettman is doing the owners bidding and will not be fired. This is just wishful thinking from a fan of the players.

wjc

Given it seems no NHL Hockey for awhile I will turn my attention to the current MLB playoffs. It has been a long time since I have seen a Yankee team look like this. I am no Yankee fan, but without Derek Jeter that team is much much different. Jeter may be the best shortstop/leader I have seen play in his prime. I say may because Cal Ripken Jr. was quite the player.

Good for the Tigers, now go Cards.

12. mdp2011 says:

Why can’t I post on this site anymore?????????????????

Edit: Finally able to post, but now have nothing to say.

Edit 2: I take that back, still not able to post anything else, I tried replying to Burly’s Jeter comment, but doesn’t show up. So I guess for every 15 comments I attempt to post, only one shows up. I guess I will go back to lurking and keep quiet.

• Bripro says:

Too many questions….

*********************************************

13. HabFab says:

And the buttfehr nazi says “No hockey for you!”

14. 69HABS says:

Only in professional sports can a person who has been fired time & time again find work in sports again. Got to love the fantasy world of Pro Sports. If only the “Real” world was like that! Try getting a job with a resume of being fired 2-3 times ….

Attention Dennis Kane:
    I just got home from a day on the golf course and perused through the last few threads. I saw that my username had been used apparantly on Mr. Kane’s website.

Dennis, please know I have nothing to do with the post which you speak of. I have just visited your site and saw your blog which uses my HI/O screen name. I have no idea who did this, but can only tell you this has nothing to do with me. I would like to ask that you could perhaps rewrite your blog which describes me as the person who said that. I simply have nothing to do with it, and don’t want to be advertised as having done that.

My sincerest apologies that someone did post this, and trust me if I met this person in person well things would be rectified.

I appreciate that Habfan 10912 and L Elle defended me earlier and would ask Hab in Surrey (Christopher) please realize this was not I.

I dont know why recently my tag name has been used to spread hurtful messages and wish it would stop, but unfortunately this internet world seems to be an open highway for bad drivers.

Again Dennis, my sincerest apologies. I will try and contact you directly through your website to pass this message on in case you dont see this post.

Thanks

Gerald (HabinBurlington)

• HabFab says:

I go away for a week and come back to you trolling other Hab Fan sites… totally floored mon ami!!

• Bripro says:

Are we going to have to tap into your spycam to see what you’re up to?
      tsk tsk … ;)

*********************************************

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I requested on Dennis’ page for Him to completely delete His current blog Gerald

…I hope someday We corner the mutant doing this

16. Mark C says:

Patrice Brisebois has been in Saskatoon checking in on Thrower and Dietz, even was on the ice for the Blades practice.

Also, Bergevin is in the house in Sarnia tonight. So nice to have a top notch front office.

17. kempie says:

Brendan ® ‏@RossyYoungblood
    #Habs GM Marc Bergevin is in the building taking a look at Alex Galchenyuk

18. punkster says:

JB asked for it…in both languages!

Vos buts, je peux vous les donner
    Messieurs, messieurs, car avec les attaquants
    Oui, les attaquants, peuvent comprendre;
    Pour plaisirs, pour plaisirs,
    Ils ont les combats!

Le cirque est plein,
    c’est jour de match!
    Le cirque est plein du haut en bas;
    Les spectateurs, perdant la tete,
    Les spectateurs s’interpellent
    a grand fracas!

Apostrophes, cris et tapage
    Pousses jusques a la fureur!
    Car c’est la fete du courage!
    C’est la fete des gens de co
    Allons! en garde! Allons! Allons! ahhhhhhh…

Max Pacioretty, en garde! Max Pacioretty, Max Pacioretty
    Et songe bien, oui, songe en combattant
    C’est une chemise noir te regarde
    Et ces buts vous attendent,
    Max Pacioretty, des buts vous attendent

(chorus)
    Max Pacioretty, en garde! Max Pacioretty, Max Pacioretty
    Et songe bien, oui, songe en combattant
    Qu’une chemise noir te regarde,
    Et que les buts t’attend,
    Max Pacioretty, les buts les buts t’attend!

Tout d’un coup, on fait silence…
    Ah! que se passe-t-il?
    Plus de cris, c’est l’instant!
    Plus de cris, c’est l’instant!
    Zdeno Chara s’elance
    En bondissant hors du chambre!
    Il s’elance! Il entre,
    Il frappe, un attaquant à terme,
    Faire glisser un défenseur
    Ah Bravo Chara, la foule rugit
    Chara va, il vient
    Il vient et frappe encore

Secouant son nez ensanglanté
    Plein de fureur, il court!
    Le cirque est plein de sang!
    On se sauve, on franchit les grilles!
    C’et ton tour maintenant! allons!
    En garde! allons! allons! Ahhhhhhh…

Max Pacioretty, en garde! Max Pacioretty, Max Pacioretty
    Et songe bien, oui, songe en combattant
    C’est une chemise noir te regarde
    Et ces buts vous attendent,
    Max Pacioretty, des buts vous attendent

(Chorus)
    Max Pacioretty, en garde! Max Pacioretty, Max Pacioretty
    Et songe bien, oui, songe en combattant
    C’est une chemise noir te regarde
    Et ces buts vous attendent,
    Max Pacioretty, des buts vous attendent

Les buts, les buts, les buts. les buts, les buts, les buts

Max Pacioretty, Max Pacioretty, les buts t’attend!

English Translation

Your goals, I can give them to you
    Sirs, sirs, for along with the forwards
    Yes, the Forwards, can understand;
    For pleasures, for pleasures
    They have combats!

The arena is full,
    It is the game day!
    The arena is full, from top to bottom;
    The spectators are losing their minds,
    The spectators began a big fracas!!

Apostrophes, cries, and uproars grow to a furor!
    Because it is a celebration of courage!
    It is the celebration of people with heart!
    Let’s go, en guard! Let’s go! Let’s go! Ahhhhhh…

Max Pacioretty, en garde! Max pacioretty, Max Pacioretty!
    And dream away, yes, dream in combat,
    That a black shirt is watching you
    And that goals await you,
    Max Pacioretty, goals await you

(Chorus)

Max Pacioretty, en garde! Max Pacioretty, Max Pacioretty!
    And dream away, yes dream in combat,
    That a black shirt is watching you
    And may goals await you,
    Max Pacioretty, goals, goals await you!

All of a sudden, it is silent…
    Ah, what is happening?
    More cries, it is the moment!
    More cries, it is the moment!
    Chara throws himself out
    Bounding out of the dressing room
    He throws himself out
    He enters.
    He strikes, a forward rolls,
    Dragging a defenceman
    Ah Bravo Chara, the crowd roars
    Chara goes, he comes
    He comes and strikes again
    Shaking his bloodied nose

Full of fury he runs
    The arena is full of blood
    They save themselves, they pass the gates,

It’s your turn now, Let’s go
    En garde! Let’s go! Let’s go! Ahhhhh….

Max Pacioretty, en garde! Max Pacioretty, Max Pacioretty!
    And dream away, yes, dream in combat,
    That a black shirt is watching you
    And that goals await you,
    Max Pacioretty, goals await you

(Chorus)
    Max Pacioretty, en garde! Max Pacioretty, Max Pacioretty!
    And dream away, yes dream in combat,
    That a black shirt is watching you
    And goals await you,
    Max Pacioretty, goals await you!

The Goals, the goals, the goals, the goals, the goals, the goals

Max Pacioretty, the goals await you!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HabFab says:

I recognize Burly and L Elle but not sure who the lead is. Looks like Timo??

PS. Tres bon!!

• Cal says:

Bravo! Excellently done! **standing O**

• Bripro says:

OK well… Dave?
      I spent my entire lunch hour today writing mine to Beethoven’s fifth,
      and it’s about a third the length of yours, and unilingual, so all I can say is…
      Wow, and I hate you!

*********************************************

Don’t worry Bri, yours was good also, besides we could see the McDonalds Special Sauce on your keyboard that spilled while you worked through lunch getting that piece together. :)

I can’t believe you folks can do these writings, I wouldn’t know where to start. Guess I should stick to trolling other sites…… okay, please know I am joking now. It’s how I deal with things, try find humour in it.

• Bripro says:

In all seriousness, you’re the LAST person I would see being a WWW idiot, and if ever anyone needs a virtual reference from me on your character, just forward them on, my friend!

*********************************************

Thanks Bri, do you know yet if you are able to make the trek to Hamilton next week? Tickets are going fast and want to make sure if you do attend that we can get you in the festivities.

• Bripro says:

Just to be on the safe side, get me one, unless I need to call myself (which I believe you had posted earlier), and I’ll pay you for it, whether I go or not.
            My wife told me today to go ahead, but she doesn’t know if she’s coming, and the customer I’m trying to meet in Brampton early morning is on vacation until monday.
            I’ll know 100% then. But I’ll get one in case.

*********************************************

• punkster says:

Bri…yours is excellent with full lyrics and entirely original. I just ripped the lyrics off the interwebby thingy, changed a few lines and let the Met do the heavy lifting.

(Anyone who would actually attempt to pull this off has my admiration :)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• JohnBellyful says:

Rats! I forgot to say no French either :)
      Thanks for including English lyrics.
      Punkster, Bripro, bravo!

– “A little song, a little dance, what have we here? Two fancy pants.” –

• Bripro says:

So what’s the prize? What do I sign? Where’s the destination?

*********************************************

• Habfan10912 says:

I have no idea what they were singing just like this.

———————————–

• solomio says:

What ever the hell that was supposed to be stop it and never do it again.

19. Mavid says:

waving their flaccid dicks…hahahaha..thanks I needed that laugh..lets see this week so far..bunch of people get laid off…got my teeth cleaned by the dental hygienist from hell..and then paid for all that pain, left my bank card at the torture chamber…and now no hockey…. wonderful..

20. Ron says:

Dave Stubbs just tweeted that in conversation with Markov today :
    “I’d love to come back to Montreal tomorrow if there’s a NHL agreement today”.

21. Propwash says:

Some good news, TSN 690 will be staying on the air. CRTC rejected the takeover of Astral Media.
    _____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

22. habs-fan-84 says:

The funny things is, the deal that inevitably gets done – whether it’s a week from now, a month from now or a year from now – will probably look almost exactly like the deal proposed 3 days ago. In the meantime the players will continue to wave their flaccid dicks in the wind.

I can’t wait until we can talk about hockey again!

23. commandant says:

What are the details of the offer that the Owners outright rejected in 5 minutes from Fehr?

1) Players agree to 50/50 share of HRR
    2) Owners guarantee that there is no increased escrow, and that they will pay the players for the full value of contracts already signed.

Sounds awfully fair to me.
    Both sides are agreeable to 50/50.

The only issue is dealing with getting to 50/50 so the players don’t lose money on contracts already signed. The Escrow issue

A deal will get done, the harsh back and forth is posturing this week and squeezing every last penny out of each other.

We’ll hear a bunch of BS. We’ll hear a bunch of crap about how unreasonable the other side is, but ultimately they sign and we start November 2nd

Mark my words.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• habsfan0 says:

In order to start season on November 2nd, a deal will have to be ratified no later than late next week, in order to make at least a week of training camp plausible.

• commandant says:

Yup, so we’ll have one week of posturing in the media… and a magical last minute settlement on the 25th.

It will happen. They are too close now. They are just squeezing every last million they can right now… but the sides are far too close, and there is far less at stake for both of them than flushing a season down the tubes would cost.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Ron says:

It is now a given that the final split will be 50/50 as per NHL offer and the 3 counter proposals the NHLPA submitted. It will have to be determined how they reach that plateau. It will get done but by what avenue they take will determine the start up of league schedule. 7 days to come up with something or another block of games will be lost which will be to hard to reschedule with those already past initial start up.

• Dust says:

where did you get these details from?

• solomio says:

We’ll mark your words all right ’cause you are so wrong. Next block of games will be cancelled this week and will continue to escalate.
      Both side are so far apart that they feel there is no longer any use in talking about it.

24. mrhabby says:

3 lockouts over the past 20 years under Bettmans tenure …. is it not time for some new leadership at the NHL level. Ownership is crazy if they don;t look at this when all is said and done.

25. HNS says:

One thing is a certainty. Bettman is a tool.

• Dust says:

not fehr though. he is awesome. Cost one world series now going after a stanley cup… half way there. Next up lets go after the superbowl. who is the real tool

• solomio says:

He is employed as a tool by the owners. Apparently they are very pleased with the job he’s done so far.Now they’re pushing him hard for more. It’s a dirty job but somebody’s got to do it.

26. 69HABS says:

Why would anyone blame the Owners?
    The owners take all the risk.
    Players get enough for what they do.
    This loss of games is all on the players.
    The owners should get more of the profits. Duh …
    What company on this earth gives more profit to it’s employees?

• commandant says:

All the risks?

Ask the guy who can’t walk with damage in his knee about all the risks?
      The guy who can’t lift his arms and play with his grand kids?
      The guy with the concussions who can’t remember a ton of easy things, like what time his wife will be home, or how to use a stove safely?

Better yet, ask Derek Boogaard, Bob Probert, Rick Rypien, and Wade Belak about “all the risks”.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Drew42 says:

Really?… Pronger?? The guy who went out onto the ice intentionally to injure other players with malice and got away with it scot-free… In Pronger’s case, I think its more a matter of Karma…

Your post was great but you lost it there… lol

_______________________________________________
        “I got to get the Swede, eh?” – Saku Koivu

• 69HABS says:

Oh cry me a freakin river for these spoiled pansies.
        Players know what they are getting into when they play hockey!
        They get millions for doing what they do.
        My back & knees have been screwed over the years from my job & I did not get miilions of $$$ ….

• commandant says:

Players knowingly take risks when the step on the ice? Of course they do.

Owners knowingly take risks when they buy a team too.

There is no difference between who “knew what they were getting into”

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• wjc says:

financial risks…..not physical risks.

wjc

• frontenac1 says:

Agreed 100% Commandant. Last time I was with the owners. This time I’m with the players. Bettman is starting to cave and Fehr knows it . He. Knows that smell of blood and it could get more ugly in the next few days. This could very well be the end of Bettman and a re-allignment in the power hierarchy of the owners. What we are witnessing publicly is a small part of this story. The real meat is going on with the owners. I have this feeling there is a big power struggle happening that will have a greater impact on the shape of the league than any 50/50 bullshit. These are very interesting times. Saludos Amigos.

• solomio says:

Get over it Commandant will ya. What you just said was really stupid.

• ZepFan2 says:

“What company on this earth gives more profit to it’s employees?”

Except the players are not employees, they’re the product. You can’t play a sport without the players.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

• 69HABS says:

And you can’t run a business without employees to make the product! Greedy Bastards they are. They play for the love of the $$$. The players of years ago played for the love of the game. Many had summer jobs to make ends meet ….

• wjc says:

Players of yesterday played for money and tried to get as much money as they could. They simply had no power.

May I say that the teams are the product…..Montreal, Toronto, Chicago etc. Players come and go via trades, better opportunities ($), age, waivers, not good enough, etc….etc…..etc. The team logo in the one constant. The recognizable “brand” year after year, decade after decade……long after the star(s) have retired, moved on.

The owner owns the “brand” the logo, the colors, the ice, the building and the players pass through as new drafts move up the ranks.

So in my view, the players are interchangable the logo is for ever.
          The players are commodities…..like cereal in a box. The fans love there players until he is unable to do it anymore, and they fall in love with the next star. The older player is aknowledged if he is able to hang around and created enough of a mark when he played.

The new fans, look at the old grey haired ex players and wonder what the fuss is about, because they are focused on the new stud.

In the NHL there are 30 “brands” and the old saying “you are not bigger then the team is true.

The owners are allowed to put a value on a player and each year depreciate his value for accounting purposes.

Some will dismiss this and that is your prerogative.

wjc

• solomio says:

They are not the product. They are part of the ingredients that make up the product. Take a can of beans for example. You’ve got your can, your label, your tomatoe sauce, your spices,and your beans, your transportation to get them on the shelves, the machinery to the ingredients into the can and on and on.
        Right now the owners are looking for the cheapest ingredients they can get to make more money on their can of beans.
        Molson School of Business eat your heart out.
        Beans beans they’re good for your heart, the more you eat the more you fart

• English is not a Crime says:

Because it’s an owners’ lockout? Make the next question tougher.

27. Habitant in Surrey says:

…it was for frustrations like these that the adjective ‘excruciating’ was coined I surmise
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• solomio says:

Excruciating is not an adjective it is a verb..like so…. “He was excruciating so hard he had a stroke “…” Excruciate or get off the pot”….. “I find excruciating painfull”…. ” Man is she excruciating or what ” ?

28. habsfan0 says:

One good thing about the lockout..the longer it goes on,the more likely it is that several franchises will go bankrupt or be retracted. That is fine in my books as the current product is so incredibly diluted. Donald Fehr will do to the Nashville Predators,the Columbus Blue Jackets,the Tampa Bay Lightning…among others..what he did to the Montreal Expos.

• Dust says:

then the nhlpa will have lost jobs for people in its union. hahah way to go. haha

• habs-fan-84 says:

As a result of the lockout, many of those franchises you just listed will NOT be hemorrhaging cash on a daily basis as they do while the season is underway.

• habsfan0 says:

While that may be true,fans will not be in any hurry in those cities to attend games when they’re played,as they’ve probably found alternative forms of entertainment.

• solomio says:

i would go so far as to say that that is part of the plan, to cull the weaker teams by enforcing this lockout until only the strongest and richest are left

29. habsfan0 says:

When NHL finally does resume play,it would be incumbent upon fans to boycott attending games for first 2 months. That will send a message,although I’m not holding my breath waiting for this to happen.

The NHL & NHLPA are doing this,because they believe,beyond a shred of a doubt,that fans will return in droves.Until this mindset has been changed,the 2 antagonists will do as they please.

• Dust says:

No the nhl and nhlpa aren’t thinking about fans at all. They are both thinking how can we get the most money possible. If they were thinking about fans they would talk about making tickets more affordable. This is just about making more money. not about what the fans think

• jedimyrmidon says:

I think both the NHL and NHLPA are counting on fans to be thinking ” ‘you and others boycott the games while I watch!’ – a message gets sent and I can watch hockey at the same time!”

30. ed lopaz says:

one thing is certain. no matter when this ends, the final deal will give the players MAXIMUM a 50/50 split. MAXIMUM.

once an ownership group makes a move like this they would be foolish to give anything more then 50/50, and say what you will about Bettman, he is no one’s fool.

the players can sing and dance to their hearts’ content, but when the ink is dry on this deal they will be happy to get the 50/50 split deal that was offered this week.

• habs-fan-84 says:

This is exactly what I said this morning. This offer is essentially as good as it’s going to get. Again, there may be some tinkering around the edges, but this is it, it’s not going to get better than this (and shouldn’t).

Once again, the players will lose and come crawling back with their proverbial tail between their legs…all because of their fearless leaders massively inflated ego.

• Dust says:

i don’t think you could have hit the nail much harder on the head

• solomio says:

Fehr interprets what the NHL offer is and means and then asks the union membership what they want to do.The membership tells him to accept or reject. Cut and dried. His ego may direct him to give his opinion about the offer or how he thinks the negotiation should be played but no matter what a majority player’s vote means they play hockey or they don’t. Point finale.

• Dust says:

I believe if a deal isn’t reached by the 25th, you are right the players won’t get any more than a 50/50 split

• JF says:

The longer the lockout goes on, the worse the eventual deal will be for the players.

• jedimyrmidon says:

What I’m hoping is that the player’s proposal addresses those issues instead of submitting a proposal that is wildly different and has nothing to do with the proposal the NHL has submitted.

Submitting a ‘creative’ proposal doesn’t accomplish anything except try to re-define the game to one’s own terms, which I suspect is Fehr’s intention, but it just makes everything much more messy and communication becomes almost pointless.

31. shiram says:

Won’t someone please think of the fans??

• Cal says:

I do all the time. Unfortunately, I also think of all the downtown bars, restaurants and hotels that are going to be screwed over in this mess.

• Ton says:

go back to the old days, watch the junior kids play, go to an outside rink and watch the kids play, take up a role in minor hockey, that where the love in the game exists.

32. Habfan10912 says:

———————————–

33. Ton says:

In the end you can’t be more important than the employer………the owners put there n**s on the line and should get an ROI on there money. Look at Tampa……..the lose 35 million a year yet Vince still gets his 10 million a year. Why should profits be split in half> same thing can be said for the losses> split those in half as well. In all its an industry that is far too lucrative but if someone is going to make the money the investors should be in the driver seat. I blame the players and their union leader that is under the gun to deliver………the stakes are high for him!

34. jedimyrmidon says:

Anyone get a feeling that the NHLPA isn’t being active, but just waiting for the NHL to propose something, and then they submit a counter proposal that they probably drew up months ago? I.e. not really communicating.

I think Fehr wants to play the waiting game.

35. Ron says:

Although I am not a big fan of Doug MacLean from Hockey Central At Noon, he does have some background as a coach and GM. Played pro at a minor level. I do give him some credence. He just tweeted :
    ” Note to players. If you don’t tell Donald to get a deal done. He won’t. And you won’t play this year. Sorry “. I do believe he is right. Fehr will keep this going until there is no season or a very short one. If this keeps going another week of nothing Bettman will have no choice but to cancel another block of games. And these will never get rescheduled.

36. Propwash says:

Bettmans reaction to the nhlpa’s offer?

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

37. Habfan10912 says:

Sorry. If we are going to lose another season(s) I sure hope that Bettman loses his job and the influence Jacobs and Snyder have on the game ends. And I hope the money bleeding franchises are forced to close costing hundreds of player their jobs which will result in lower dues collected by NHLPA. No one should come out of the unscratched. No one!
    ———————————–

• Kooch7800 says:

The league should be going after Ken Dryden to take over from Bettman. He is a lawyer, business man and UNDERSTANDS hockey.

Neither Fehr or Bettman give a flying poop about hockey. They care about $$$$$

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree 100% Kooch. That would also mean Jacobs and Snyder won’t be running the league anymore.

———————————–

• Dust says:

It seems the problem is fehr not bettman. The NHLPA hasn’t budged at all. Nhl should just move on from them if they don’t want to negotiate.

• Kooch7800 says:

Bettman and the players do not get along and haven’t for years. You can look at one proposal where it isn’t a great option presented with ten days to make or break an 82 game season…..this was all a PR campaign. Why wasn’t this so called 50-50 split presented in September? Bettman was trying to use the media to put pressure on the players. It didn’t work. I can’t say I am shocked.

Both Fehr and Bettman are the problem

• Habfan10912 says:

Plus Bettman has propped up doomed to fail franchises and also allowed goon hockey in an attempt to sell it to the casual US fan.
            Enough blame to go around.
            ———————————–

• Dust says:

Why didn’t they start negotiating in june. Oh yeah the union didn’t want to. They’ve been dragging there feet the whole time. Spewing the same bs they want to play for the fans. whatever.

38. Dust says:

Bring on the replacement players.. The real ones will come crawling back

39. shiram says:

I hate both the NHL Owners and NHLPA.

40. gmur says:

Well, as my uncle Al was fond of saying, this is just a fart in a windstorm, but I’m out of here. Take the greed, and Bobble-head Bettman, and the PA, and Fehr and all the BS and keep it. Follow every move and dissect it until this cock-fight for cash is over and the PR people for the NHL can try to convince you with a few highlight reels that the game is what matters most. Bye-bye.

41. joeybarrie says:

Maybe Bettman should think about his first LOWBALL offer while he swallows the news….
    The 50-50 split was a PR move by the NHL, but it was a weak move.
    The players will now make Betts feel the heat for the next week.
    they will iron out the details, and come to terms in time.
    I wouldn’t keep jumping at every media detail.

42. Blondie says:

It will be interesting to see if the PA publishes their offers.

43. habs-fan-84 says:

Once again it will be the PLAYERS who will lose. Paradoxically they think they have leverage. IDIOTS.

44. JF says:

Anyone heard any details of the players counter-proposals?

45. habs-fan-84 says:

lol the PA is a disgrace.

• Kooch7800 says:

So are the owners. The entire thing is a freaking gong show.

The owners just played the fans by saying there is a chance of an 82 game season to put pressure on the PA and sent them a bum deal. The split really isn’t a 50/50 split. (It’s because of the costs the NHL is entitled to subtract from HRR before the players get their share.)

There will be no season with Bettman at the helm. The players are not going to bend over after what happened in the last CBA and you can thank Bettman for that

• habs-fan-84 says:

The last time I checked the players did quite well after the last CBA

• Blondie says:

Yes, but nobody expected them to. It was almost universally acknowledged that they got beat up pretty good at the time.

• habs-fan-84 says:

who cares what people thought at the time. At the end of the day the players made out really well.

The players are delusional and have no leverage whatsoever. They’re only screwing themselves and I’ll laugh when they come crawling back with their proverbial tail between their legs.

• Blondie says:

Well it wasn’t exactly the end of the day, after a few years they were doing pretty good. But that doesn’t necessarily mean they should accept whatever the league offers because the league really has their best interests at heart.

I’m more on the players side than the owners, obviously, but they’re both at fault right now. There’s really no excuse for not getting a deal done by now.

• habs-fan-84 says:

The league asked the PA to the negotiating table over a year ago, the PA declined and decided it would be best to start negotiations in July…

46. Captain aHab says:

Looks like TSN 990 will not be converted to a French station after all….

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

47. hansolo says:

So, Bettman’s “thoroughly disappointed.” Well, what a huge surprise. So the league set up the NHLPA to look bad in the PR war. We’ll see what the NHLPA spins back in its news releases.

“A plague on both their houses” is what I say. I have lived without major league baseball since 1994, when there was a strike with the Expos in 1st place in the NL East with a 70-42 record. I can live without NHL hockey. It’ll be difficult but I’ll manage. I found it hard to be passionate about the Habs during the Houle-Tremblay era and I can go back to what my state of mind was then. There are even more choices now — AHL, juniors, Euro leagues, college — so I can still get my “fix” without the NHL and the NHLPA.

48. Ron says:

Maybe its time for Bettman to get approval from the league and let Jacobs and a few other well known owners start making a few statements on their feelings as the bill payer. Most every player is sending out tweets that at time are pretty stupid.

49. Kooch7800 says:

Bettman was just getting everyone excited by his offer trying to put pressure on the players……didn’t work out so well.

Fehr and bettman at the helms there will be NO hockey this season and the fans deserve better

50. Blondie says:

Oh well. At least we got in a day and a half of optimism.

51. GoGioGo says:

FIRST!! :)

But that doesn’t make me happy with the recent developments, though. Raise your hand if you thought this was exactly what was going to happen.

Nothing we can do about it bud, just hope people know me already is all. Yah there are days I can get a bit wound up, but like to think I try keep things reasonable and humour based.

Thanks, have a good night bud.

53. English is not a Crime says:

Fehr rejecting this? This article is about the three proposals that the players gave to Bettman today and had Bettman decline within about 5 minutes (ie he didn’t even pretend to read them before declining them and telling everyone how insulted he was)

By the way, the draft would be an illegal labour practice if not for the CBA agreed to by the union in the first place. If the union were to decertify, the NHL would have humongous headaches with the labour laws over drafts, restricted free agents and so forth.

54. Ron says:

You must be reading Ben’s comments if you are using the 5 minute statement. Erik Cole himself is a player rep stated in the article HIO posted that the NHL looked at it for about 15 minutes and declined the 3 offers. The 5 minute was added for abit of sinsationalism on Ben’s part to get his point across. Whether 5 or 15 minutes it was not enough to go over the material. Hence Bettmans sh*t statement.