NHL commissioner Gary Bettman addressed reporters in Toronto at 4 p.m. Thursday and didn’t have good news for hockey fans hoping for an end to the lockout and an 82-game season starting on Nov. 2.
Bettman said he is “thoroughly disappointed” with the three counter-proposals made by the players’ association Thursday, adding that some franchises thought the league went too far with the offer it made to the NHLPA earlier this week, offering to split revenue 50/50.
“None of the three variations of player share that they gave us even began to approach 50-50, either at all or for some long period of time,” Bettman said. “It’s clear we’re not speaking the same language.”
Bettman added that no new talks are scheduled. Bettman has stated that for a full 82-game season to start on Nov. 2, a new CBA would need to be signed by Oct. 25 with training camps opening the next day.
NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr told reporters Thursday that the players would sacrifice nearly $1.8 billion in revenue under the league’s proposal.
“This is not a good day,” Fehr told reporters. “It should have been.”
You can read more by clicking here.
You can read Dave Stubbs’s Q&A feature with Don Cherry from today’s Hockey Inside/Out section in The Gazette talking about the lockout by clicking here.
You can read an article by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell’s on how the NHL and NHLPA need to find an alternative method to settle their differences by clicking here.
Branswell also has an article setting up the Hamilton Bulldogs’ AHL home opener Saturday night against the Toronto Marlies, which you can read by clicking here. Game time is 7 p.m. and you can listen to it on TSN 690 Radio.
And The Gazette’s Steve Faguy reports that TSN 690 will live on after Thursday’s announcement that the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has denied an application by BCE Inc. to acquire Astral Media Inc. Read more by clicking here.
(Photo by Chris Young/Canadian Press)