Bettman can kill the NHL, but not “our game”: Jack Todd

outdoorsweb

In his weekly Monday Morning QB column, Jack Todd writes that Gary Bettman can kill the NHL with yet another lockout and another possible lost season, but he can’t kill hockey because it’s our game.

Writes Todd: “Hockey lives on, in every kid who still needs Dad to tie those pesky skates. In every boy who goes to bed with a stick on his pillow and his arms around his shoulder pads, every girl who wants nothing for Christmas but a Wickenheiser jersey and a chance.”

Todd adds: “Come to think of it, there probably won’t be three consecutive hours all winter when someone isn’t shooting a hockey puck somewhere between Nanaimo and Newfoundland — and if there are, you’ll know that Canada is playing in the world junior final.”

You can read his entire column by clicking here.

The NHL and the NHLPA didn’t talk on Sunday, the 92nd day of the lockout, but the league’s lawsuit against its players was assigned to a relatively new federal judge who is a longtime New York Yankees fan and a former federal prosecutor. Read more by clicking here.

Meanwhile, the Canadiens’ head athletic therapist, Graham Rynbend, is using his time during the lockout to be a full-time dad and an assistant coach of his son’s Atom C West Island Knights hockey team. Read Dave Stubbs’s column on Rynbend by clicking here.

Rynbend and his assistant, Nick Addey-Jibb, have also been busy four or five days a week rehabbing two injured Canadiens players, Rene Bourque and Petteri Nokelainen. Read more about that by clicking here.

(Photo by Peter J. Thompson/National Post)

1. Mr. Biter says:

Quick fact. 2011 NBA lockout/Strike settlement. 50/50 revenue (previous players got 57%) shorter guaranteed contracts and harder salary cap. Sound familar.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

2. zip by says:

I get a laugh out of the comments below comparing Campoli to Carney – as though a high profile white collar job has anything to do with hockey. Likewise I got a chuckle out of someone last week comparing NHL players with guys who work on a factory line doing “shift” work. That time it was comparing hockey players to blue collar workers.

The unique thing about the sports/entertainment industry is that the players/performers are more than just employees who “make” the product. They ARE THE PRODUCT as well.

Comparisons with normal work practices just don’t apply.

3. geo_habsgo says:

Whatever ever happened to Telio? I don’t see him around here much anymore. lol.

4. frontenac1 says:

Re/WJC.. Every year the”experts” keep talking about Canada,Russia ,Sweden and the US and every the Finns always surprise. Anybody here got a handle on their team this year? Will they surprise again?

5. Blondie says:

I’m starting to wonder if Bettman and/or Fehr have pushed this thing to this point on purpose. In order to leave a lasting legacy in sports labour law: precedent setting cases in regards to union decertification in the pro spots industry. As many have said, this hasn’t been done before, nobody knows what will happen. Establishing some legal opinions may get them in the legal history books.

Their egos are big enough to want something like this and it beats their current likely legacies; killing the NHL and killing the Expos.

Or not…just thinking out loud while I test some software.

Cheers!

6. New says:

I am totally lost with this lockout stuff. The NHL is now taking itself to court to determine if their lockout was legal in the first place and arguing that the NHLPA negotiators, by giving up and saying we can’t represent you, are trying to trick them.

This legal stuff seems always to make sense until you go back to the meaning of the anti-trust laws. I always thought those laws were to prevent monopolies from restricting workers or competition. I guess not.

The NHL, being the least followed major sports league within the US better watch out. The courts might just do the unexpected and send a message. Too bad really.

7. frontenac1 says:

I stopped commenting on the Lockout weeks ago. Whenever I got started ,I would get angry, start knocking back the hard stuff, use naughty words,get modded or deleted, get more angry,knock back more hard stuff….it was pathetically futile. The solution was to either quit the booze or quit commenting on the lock out. Thankfully I made the right decision. Guinness,Single Malt and WJC.That’s the ticket Amigos! Saludos!!!

8. Kooch7800 says:

Great Article on the Jays trade for Dickey.

Apparently they have agreed on a two year ext worth 12.5 mill. Physical is the only thing pending

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• arcosenate says:

Great article, the time is now, just wish it was the Expos. In any case, in or out is the way it has to be looked at, and Boston and the Yanks are out this year, and that situation won’t last long.

• mdp2011 says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t understand this trade? I mean the guy is 38 and had a carreer year last year. He has never even come close to having this type of season any time in his carreer. I understand going for it and giving up prospects for starting pitching, but I am not sold on him, I don’t think he will even come close to repeating the numbers he had last year. I also don’t understand why they also extended his contract until the age of 41.

9. Haborama says:

two things………

1. Re Riga Fraction: from what I’ve heard, that Nichushkin dude is a total no-go. He is signed for two more years in the KHL, very VERY talented, but is also very inconsistent, he’s a big kid who almost never uses his size, I can recall Mr. Kerr himself saying that the kid was easily intimidated during the super series. I can practically smell the Russian factor already. He reminds me of AK-46 or worse Avstin. I would be very surprised if he gets picked in the top 20 or leaves the KHL.

2. Kerby Richel: any thoughts???

• commandant says:

Woah i never said he was easily intimidated. Quite the opposite, I said NOT easily intimidated.

I’d have him top 10 on talent alone, but signed in the KHL til the end of 2014-15 hurts him

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

10. petefleet says:

Gally is on the rise in PPG. Sept .75ppg, Oct 1.64ppg, Nov 2.1ppg, Dec 2.43ppg. Too bad he’s leaving to play for the USA, that kind of production could be bad for the Canadians. I still haven’t seen him play so I’m looking forward to the WJHC.

******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM
    ***Habs Forever***

Wondering why the vote is taking so long for the players? Apparantly the auto-reply response from Don Fehrs office is to blame.

I sent a no vote to his office and received the following auto-response.

“You appear to have voted No, therefore not allowing us to decertify. While we will gladly accept this answer from you, we are currently only receiving Yes votes. Please try again later, unless you decide to vote Yes which we would be happy to accept at this time.”

• Luke says:

Seems to me they should have had a vote on an offer before voting to decertify.

Vote on the last offer, if the NO’s have it, vote to decertify (or disclaim or whatever).
      Doesn’t that seem like a logical first step? Why wouldn’t that be mandatory before filing one of these other motions. Is it just me who thinks this makes sense?
      I mean, why throw this through the courts when we don’t even know if the majority of the members disliked the latest offer? They certainly can’t say that they looked at every available option before starting this process.

I’m not saying they should, or would, accept the last offer. I’m just saying: shouldn’t they have at least one Union vote before saying it and the process has failed?

I agree, unfortunately semantics will now come in play, as apparantly the offer the NHL has made is not officially complete. So one can not vote on an offer that is incomplete.

Seems to me, Fehr doesn’t want this vote done, as he hasn’t requested that offer be made complete such that a vote could occur. This of course would also tip his hand to the owners. Both sides end of day continue to play games. i don’t know which side to blame more, but know that I am sick of both.

• Mr. Biter says:

And if you reply by e-mail it is not a secret ballot and someone in Fehr’s office will know exactually who voted yes or no.
      HiB, did you get my e-mail?

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

12. Mattyleg says:

Jack Todd is so inspirational.

I dunno, he just has a way of saying what everyone is thinking.

Two weeks after everyone else has thought it.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

13. Cal says:

Bettman may kill the NHL, but only Todd can kill any good mood.
    He’s written the same trash for twenty years. Enough.

• nunacanadien says:

Hey the past twenty years have seen the demise of the Dynasty! Todd and Red Fisher called it like it was. Since the habs were bought out by a group of Toronto investors isn’t it not suprising that any Toronto fan/investor would be giddy to downsize and make Scott Gomez our highest paid superstar player who only scored what, a goal last year?

• Cal says:

“Crazy nuna followed me and he caught me in a fog
        He said, “The Habs are crap; they look like a beaten dog”
        I said, “Wait a minute, nuna, you know I’m a peaceful man”
        But Timo interrupted and asked “Where the hell is JB?”

So you are not referencing Geoff Molson from Montreal or Michael Andlauer from Burlington correct, or are both those cities now considered Toronto? (Andlauer is originally from Quebec).

I believe Luc Bertrand also has an investment in the team. I do admit Nuna , BCE and the Thomson family have an investment in the team, but are not the controlling owners, just investors.

14. RobertAlanFord says:

Here’s an eye popper for you: Galchenyuk played only 6 games this December……..17 points!!!!! 11 of those are goals. Way to enter training camp bud!

@RAFord77

15. derfab says:

Have no fear Jack, this time Bettman is done. His little meltdown 2 weeks ago tells us he knows his days are numbered. When the owners see the damage done to their franchises and the league by a missed season, they will turn on him and eachother. Good news for Quebec and some other Canadian contenders as the league will lose some weak teams while killing its chances for any kind of southern expansion. Nice to see you affirming Grapes!

• Mattyleg says:

And what about the owners who see this lockout as a way of saving money from franchises who are hemorhaging cash?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mr. Biter says:

Bettman is the owners front man as every comissioner is for every Major League Sport in North America. He’s told to get the best deal for them he can. If he doesn’t then he’s in trouble.
      I also predict next next game cancellation will be indefinatly. Reason being Fehr likes coming just before the final deadline making a take it or leave it offer from him. Without a set date takes away some of his bargining power.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

16. ed lopaz says:

it seems quite clear to me that this is not about Bettman, Fehr, the players or the owners.

this is about a Collective Bargaining “process” that simply does not work.

this is about a CBA that breaks down and does not meet the objectives of the 30 owners.

this is about a league, the NHL, that needs to be re-shaped, re-structured, with fewer teams or certainly with fewer teams in terrible markets.

to pin this on any of the characters involved is missing the bigger picture.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…well, pinch Me if I’m wrong, but I recollect at least one of those ‘characters’ has been hanging around the NHL for 20 sumptin years, and has had more than a tad to do about some of those teams that should have been long weeded out, and has led now 4 lock-outs over those years with the objective to re-structure the NHL

…how has that worked out ?

…to Me, it’s this one ‘character’ that has taken Us and the NHL down the rabbit hole We find Ourselves at this time

…no, if His ass was in front of Me and within reach of My boots at this moment, I would kick Him all the way to Phoenix

…without hesitation

• Thomas Le Fan says:

You may be right but the owners hired him to do their bidding. I’m hardly a fan of the man but I can’t believe this is all Bettman. Like the previous poster said, this is a horribly flawed process, and I would add, between two seriously flawed group of characters.

I know this isn’t the best venue for such a link, but given how heated the debate got here on HI/O this past weekend as it related to gun control, I think this article provides a good perspective on the issue at hand.

Further to what Ed Lopaz and a few others have been saying about Drouin all year.

19. RetroMikey says:

It’s not only Bettman killing the game, but the greedy players as well with that putz Donald Fehr trying to run the show in this CBA.
    The only professionals that deserve the big bucks are medical doctors, researchers, etc. and others in the health care industry,
    those that care about humans and our beloved pets.
    Amen!
    “We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• commandant says:

Mikey I’d argue that there are other professions who “deserve” big dollars other than the medical profession, such as police, firefighters, and others.

However this is not how our society works. Movie stars, TV stars, Musicians, and other entertainers get paid exorbitant amounts as well. In a capitalistic society, its how much money you generate. And hockey players generate a lot, getting people to buy tickets to watch them work, as well as tune in on TV.

So yeah maybe a doctor should earn more, in the moral sense. But the economic, capitalistic world doesn’t work that way.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ABHabsfan says:

Mark Carney, former head of the Bank of Canada and now head of the Bank of England; salary is $1M british pounds. It could be argued that there is no more capitalist post in the world; nor one as important. The decisions he makes influence how any of us generate money.
        Campoli made $1.7 last year. (about equal)

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

It was rumoured Carney just couldn’t skate backwards as fast, thus the reason Campoli was given slightly more. ;-)

• commandant says:

And yet Carney still cant convince folks to buy tickets to watch him work

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Chris says:

What is the average salary for a CEO and other senior executives in a Fortune 500 company?

Government posts routinely pay “peanuts” next to their private sector counterparts. The fact that the President at my university makes roughly double what the Prime Minister of Canada earns demonstrates how utterly silly this whole economic model actually is.

• twilighthours says:

I’d actually argue that (some) doctors are overpaid. And I think ol’ Dalton would agree with me.

But I don’t get bent out of shape about how much someone else earns. If I wanted to earn that money, I should have done what they did.

• Mustang says:

Commandant. What do you think would happen to the team revenue if companies were not allowed to claim the cost of the seats or luxury boxes as a business expense? I would guess that there would be many empty seats even if the prices were significantly decreased. With revenue way down, these players would not be receiving the same salaries as they now enjoy.

• L Elle says:

My doctor drives a Jag and all he does all day is sit at his desk and write prescriptions. He’s not working in some remote African village helping aids-stricken children or working exclusively in a trauma center. Why should he make a million dollars?

Hockey players make a lot of money. This is a fact and won’t be changing anytime soon.

20. AliHaba says:

Dustin Walsh 9 8 E
    Mike Cichy 16 8 E
    John Westin 29 5 -8
    Maxim Trunev 26 4 -3
    Josiah Didier 12 2 E
    Colin Sullivan 14 0 E

Five days to complete a vote with today’s technology??? WTF

Thanks for the summary again Ali. Looking forward to wjc like many others here. Collberg may be whom I watch the closest to see what he can do on the big stage again.

• ABHabsfan says:

Looking forward to seeing Galchenyuk the most, I’ve never seen a Sting game.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Cal says:

Thx for the updates, Ali.
      And, yes, 5 days is ridiculous. Yet another Fehr slooooooooooowwwwwwwww dooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwn taaaaaaccccctttttticcccccc.

21. Cal says:

It’s Monday, and with a week until Christmas Eve, it’s time for a Carol about Jeremy Jacobs.

The players are still voting?

• Riga Fraction says:

From what I understand, they have 5 days to gets their votes in since it’s largely going to be done via email

• Chuck says:

I guess that they need time for Gomez to dogsled his way to a library in Anchorage.

___________________________________________________

• Riga Fraction says:

The Bruins players (like Chara and Lucy) have to have the crayon X marks cleaned off of their monitors and then need to get a local 5 yr old to type out their email responses for them instead as well. Bright side is, it’s the same local 5 yr old that had to read them the email they were voting on in the first place so that saves a bit of time in searching.

• Mr. Biter says:

What 5 days to figure out how their smart phones work or to begin to decide what they want to do?

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

23. Psycho29 says:

My new avatar…….

24. Mr. Biter says:

What is going on in New England? 21-0 in December games under BB. Not near a T.V.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

25. Habilis says:

This, my friends, is why defence wins championships.

Go Niners.

26. habsfan0 says:

Sadly,with today’s loss,my Buffalo Bills were officially eliminated from playoff contention today.

I truly did not see this coming.

27. frontenac1 says:

Wow! For a Game of The Week, this is one of the screwiest, weird, turnovers every series, game I’ve seen in a long time. Weather is bad but really?

28. roady says:

HIO poll question is ridiculous….and 32% think they should award the SC to another league. What other league would that be… that would be worthy to hoist it ? The IQ on this site is way under normal…stupid questions get dumber responses…the proof is in the pudding. Just an opinion…start shooting…ha !

take your drink to the end of the bar buddy…come on now, don’t be a fool…

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’d say give it to the top women’s hockey team in the country. There is no pinnacle for men’s hockey here with the NHL rotting away, but no one’s locked out the women’s teams, and they play hard. Even the best don’t get offered millions, so it’s Canadian hockey for the love of the game.

• Mr. Biter says:

Sorry Charlie but watching Women’s Hockey (even Canada vs USA) is worse (I know I’m gonna piled on for this) than watching curling.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• Chuck says:

Personally, I dont think that awarding the Cup to another league (womens, amateur, etc.) would demean it one bit. The original intent behind the Cup was that it be awarded to any amateur team that won a challenge for the cup. If the NHL wipes out another season, I could think of no better way to honour the history of the trophy than by having the top 2 amateur teams in the country challenge for it.

___________________________________________________

• Mr. Biter says:

So for this year what do they do with the Allen Cup? Give this years winner both cups or move it down to another league? Just asking?

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• Chuck says:

To be determined. :)

Perhaps the Alan Cup winner could accept a challenge, with the winner getting the 2012-2013 Stanley Cup.

As far as determining who would challenge the Allan Cup winner… draw straws, maybe? ;)

___________________________________________________

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…without all due respect Mr. Roady, but the NHL is ‘a business’ that has become all too indifferent to the ‘culture’ of hockey, to which was the objective, vision and intent of Lord Stanley of Preston, Canada’ s then Governor General

” Stanley intended that the Cup should be awarded to the top AMATEUR HOCKEY TEAM in Canada, to be decided by the acceptance of a challenge from another team. He made five preliminary regulations:

1) The winners shall return the Cup in good order when required by the trustees so that it may be handed over to any other team which may win it.

2) Each winning team, at its own expense, may have the club name and year engraved on a silver ring fitted on the Cup.

3) The Cup shall remain a challenge cup, and should not become the property of one team (or organization ?), even if won more than once.

4) The trustees shall maintain absolute authority in all situations or disputes over the winner of the Cup.

5) If one of the existing trustees resigns or drops out, the remaining trustee shall nominate a substitute.”

…I think the ‘trustees’ (and Hockey Canada) should have the last word on whether if the NHL is not intent or willing to present an elite tournament for the Stanley Cup, that the trustees and Hockey Canada have a right to intercede and determine a legitimate alternative

…maybe this will provide the Americans that are holding this icon of Our Game hostage a slap of reality and sense of humility

…the Stanley Cup is not an ‘inalienable right’ of the NHL, and if they wish to remain associated with it, more respect must be provided to the roots and cultural intent of the Cup

29. Marc10 says:

The one positive out of this lockout has been the huge coverage the junior kids are getting. This draft year and all the prospects in the system now are getting unofficially scouted like nobody’s business.

When they get drafted or eventually make it to the show, they’ll be household names!

Can’t wait to see Galley at the Juniors (assuming he’s able to go). Could be one heck of a coming out party as he gets to measure his game with some established talent.

Loving the kid Hudon too. I would hate to play against that relentless little pest (assuming I was half my age and had any actual skill… :-) If Charles keeps at it, he’s going to be a good one.

• Chris says:

As much as people love the World Juniors, it isn’t always a great showcase to evaluate players, especially for defencemen whose lack of familiarity with their partner and teammates can often lead to some mind-boggling errors that they would rarely make with their normal teams.

That being said, it will be interesting to see how Galchenyuk does and what position he’s played at.

• Boomer says:

You don’t think the wjc is a great tournament to evaluate players Chris?

• Chris says:

I think the wjc is terrible hockey that gets overhyped because of the nationalistic overtones.

I watch junior hockey games all the time where the quality of the hockey is MUCH stronger than what we will see at the World Juniors. The defencemen have it really tough because they just aren’t familiar with the systems in place.

When the players come back to their home teams, they have to go through another readjustment, getting used to the old defensive system and tendencies of linemates.

Chemistry and knowing what your role is are crucial to playing good positional hockey. These kids don’t have enough time to develop those skills, so the World Juniors often aren’t much more than an All-Star Game with a lot of hitting.

• Riga Fraction says:

Ryan Murray was the perfect example of that last year when he scored a hat trick in the Canada/Russia game… all 3 goals in his own net though.

30. Haborama says:

four things…..

1. Galchenyuk. (enough said)

2. I think that the best possible 1st round pick for us would be Sean Monahan. he is a big, physical, skilled center and having him and Galchenyuk as a 1-2 punch down the middle would make us one of the best teams in the NHL down the road.

3. I am disappointed that their seems to be no true power forward prospects (we have discussed what that means) in the top 60 at the draft. Perhaps we can find one lower down, anything’s possible.

4. It looks like Dalton Thrower is back from the dead, I wonder how long this will last………

• Chris says:

2. I think that whoever they draft, they really need to target goal-scoring. Both the Habs and the Bulldogs are in pretty dire need of players who can actually convert chances. The system is thin when it comes to snipers. I have high hopes for Collberg and Kristo, and I guess Gallagher might be a darkhorse (I’m still not sold on him), but the cupboard is pretty bare.

3. Power forward prospects are hard to identify in junior. You’re banking on a kid putting on enough weight and size after being drafted to continue playing that style in the NHL. Milan Lucic was drafted 50th overall after posting 9 goals and 19 points in 62 games. If Montreal drafted a guy with such middling numbers in the second round, there would be some poignant questions asked.

I’m not all that concerned…with Galchenyuk, Eller and Pacioretty, the Habs have the start of a top-6 that has size, skill and speed.

• Boomer says:

“If montreal drafted a guy with such middling numbers in the second round, there would be some poignant questions asked”
        Poignant questions about prospects?… On HIO??
        WHHAAAAAAA????
        never…
        ;p

• Riga Fraction says:

I tend to make a spelling error in the name a lot, but the Russian kid with the cage (Nichushkin) is one I’ve been watching.

31. habs-hampton says:

Went out today and watch the local Bantam AAA team play, even thought I have no kids on either team. Really enjoyed it. I miss the NHL less and less each day. I never thought it could happen, but I really can live without Hockey Night in Canada.

32. Sean Bonjovi says:

I’m a Blue jays fan, but sadly on days like today I’m reminded that many Blue Jays fans are Maple Leafs fans too : (

What do you think of the apparant trade Sean? I love Dickey the story, but I am worried about the quality of prospects given up in this trade, also R.A. has to adjust to A.L. hitters.

Certainly happy to see the Jays going after it though.

• Bripro says:

Just thought you’d like this little tidbit Gerry.
        Remember my son the Bs fan?
        Well now he asked for a football jersey for Christmas. Guess which one?
        The Steelers. That kid’s gonna be the death of me.

• Kooch7800 says:

I like the addition of Dickey but I think the price was pretty steep. I like the fact that they are actually realizing that there is a window of opportunity with the yankees and sox not having great squads.

Next year will be entertaining to watch. I know I will be watching more games past July now!

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Jays traded a Catcher who’s never had an at bat in the the major leagues and a pitcher who’s never thrown a pitch above single A for a guy who’s retired 9 batters for every run he’s allowed in the last three years. I don’t think the American league is really any tougher to pitch against. The biggest concern about changing leagues is that the pitcher needs to learn a dozen new scouting reports for every team they face and those dozen guys can all share one scouting report on him, but I’m not worried. I see this trade as injury insurance on the other pitchers in the rotation, and if Dickey wins 15 games I’ll be happy.

33. HabFab says:

Tinordi with his first goal makes it 4-3.

34. Ron says:

Admirals led the Bulldogs 3-2 2 mins into 3rd. Dumont had second goal.

EDIT: Admirals get 2 goal lead back. 4-2

2nd EDIT: 4-3 13 mins into the 3rd. Dumont has his second goal of night

First no NHL, now probably no playoffs for my Steelers, this sucks!!

• Chris says:

You could have been a Saints fan like me, so quit your whining! ;)

• Mr. Biter says:

Still pissed at Saints and their paid destruction (Bounty) of Favre in the NFL final. Just think every Bruin taking a shot at Markov’s knee’s on every play if there would have been a”Bounty” system on the Bruins or any NHL team for a matter of fact.
        Hate the F#@king Saints now and I’m a Packer Fan but was a huge Farve fan. He never recovered from that game and never Physically recovered from the beating he took and should not have come back for his last year with the Vikings.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• Chris says:

I don’t understand NFL culture, but these guys have always done this. Favre was targeted in the same way that the Brees has been targeted: he was an elite quarterback that was the anchor for his team. Take him out and you have a better chance at winning. I’ve seen Brees take some late hits and some dirty hits. Favre took far more because he would make throws when he shouldn’t have. The only hit in that Vikings game that stood out as being out of the ordinary flow of a normal game was the one where he was hit in the lower leg. That was an ugly hit and should have been penalized. But the same hit has been done on other quarterbacks (Tom Brady, for one)…defenders just lose their minds out there.

Every defensive team in the league has been guilty of late and dangerous hits on opposing quarterbacks. Judging by unnecessary roughness calls, the Saints were no dirtier than most teams in the league. The whole “bounty scandal” is a bit of a joke because just about every locker room has similar crap going on.

The difference was that the Saints were told to stop (unlike the other teams) and didn’t, and then lied when confronted about it. Hence the ludicrously over the top penalties.

• commandant says:

Inovative use of the first post.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports