Best wishes from HIO to young Habs fan battling meningitis

Our best wishes from everyone at HIO for a speedy and full recovery for Alex Smidt, a 13-year-old Canadiens fan from Regina who is battling bacterial meningitis.

Alex was rushed by air to Calgary Children’s Hospital recently and has undergone four surgeries. The teenager was wearing his Canadiens pajamas and shirt when taken to hospital and also brought a Habs flag with him.

Ian Cobb, a lifetime Habs fan who grew up in St. Lambert and now lives in Belleville, Ont., and organizes the annual HIO Summit in Montreal, made arrangements for Rob Hing and his wife Alayne – members of the HIO family who live in Calgary – to visit Alex in hospital Monday and they brought along some Habs goodies for the teenager (photo above).

Hing told Alex that everyone at HIO was cheering for him and Cobb is making arrangements to have tickets for Alex and his father to attend this season’s HIO Summit slated for Nov. 29 when the Buffalo Sabres are in town if the youngster is healthy enough to travel by that time.

“Hopefully it gives him something to look forward to and keeps him motivated to keep fighting and to get better,” Hing told Cobb in an email.

Here’s a post Alex’s father – longtime HIO member John Smidt – put on HIO Monday night after his son received the Habs gifts from Hing and his wife:

Hi everyone, just thought I’d let u know that my son Alex is doing very well in the children’s hospital in Calgary…the doctors are amazed at how well he’s recovering from the 4 surgeries and the meningitis that he had…. I want to thank a couple more HIO members, Timo and Rob from Calgary…. Rob and his wife visited Alex today and really made Alex’s day and he was very excited and the gifts Rob and his Mrs. brought him: they brought him a Habs jersey, a coffee cup (travel mug) and a night light for his room! I’m at home in Regina, Alex had to phone so excited about his stuff! My wife and I cried at the generosity of what Rob did for our little boy! That made Alex’s day he was very, very excited.

My wife said she hadn’t seen Alex this excited in a long, long time! So again I just wanted to say thank you again to all of you guys on here for your thoughts and prayers for Alex ……you guys are the greatest and it makes me so very proud to be a Habs fan seeing all the love and support you guys gave me, my wife and Alex that this most difficult time! Alex said to me dad now I have a new Habs jersey that I can wear to the summit and I can wear when we watch the Habs win the Stanley Cup! He said with my new jersey dad I’m now a full fledged Habs fan! I said that can go with your Habs pj’s your shirts, winter jacket … you were born a Habs fan son! He said I love you dad and I can’t wait to watch our Habs play! Also like I said I want to give a big thank-you to Timo and Ian Cobb, and Rob! My heart goes out to you! Everyone on here thank you again so very much ill never forget all the out pouring of love for my son Alex!

THANK-YOU GUYS SO VERY MUCH! I LOVE ALL YOU GUYS
HABSGOD (JOHN SMIDT)

(Photo courtesy of Rob Hing)

20 Questions with P.K. Subban, National Post

Habs prospect Bozon on comeback trail from meningitis, canadiens.com

Bulldogs add 6-foot-8, 250-pound defenceman Joe Finley, Stu on Sports blog

Habs’ Subban gets a golf lesson at Canadian Open, Stu on Sports blog

1. Habitant in Surrey says:

Radio interview, CBC Radio ‘AirPlay’ https://www.facebook.com/CBCAirplay

Attention HIOers: Ol’ HiS has hit the Great White Way !

Well …at least I have ‘hit’ Whitehorse !

Don’t laugh, because ‘Paris’ is next ! :)

The link is to My interview on CBC AirPlay in Whitehorse, hosted by Dave White.

I did My best to explain the #RogersPetition and the dilemma of Habs Fans west of Quebec this fall following Our Habs, and the projected black-out of RDS in western Canada.

Click here to listen, and feel free to throw bricks or roses :)

I hope to follow this up with other similar initiatives in the near future.

Note Bene: because of technical difficulties on their regular web-page, the links are seconded to the station’s Facebook page.

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

• PK says:

I listened to your interview, Chris.
      Well-spoken explanation of our problem!

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• habsgod says:

CHRIS THANKS FOR EVERYTHING YOU”VE DONE FOR ME AND ALEX! YOUR A GREAT MAN!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

:) You are very welcome John. I have 2 children that I have been raising alone for the past 14 years. She, Venus, is 16 now, and He, Quentin, is 18.

They are the reasons I wake up in the morning.

So, I know very deeply Your concern for Alex, and the fear You must have felt.

2. NightRyder says:

Mr. Cobb, you are a good man.
    Best wishes to the young fella.

Just had a very nice conversation with ” HABGOD” John, Alex’s father.
    He said that Alex is convinced that he will make it to the Summit in Nov. But he does not quite now how ill he is. So we will just have to wait and see what the Doctors have to say about it.
    John is very appreciative of all the HIO support boys and girls.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

4. Mavid ® says:

finally made it home..its good to be back

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

5. CJ says:

Good evening folks.

Hoping that someone might be able to provide a recommendation;

We are travelling to PEI on Friday August 8. I’d like to break the drive up and am looking for a hotel for Friday night. We are leaving Ottawa Friday morning so I’m thinking Quebec City, or something further east. Any recommendations on where we might stay? I will probably look at booking in the same area on the way back.

Again, any insight/help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, CJ

• Ian Cobb says:

You should have no problem getting to N.B Edmonston on the 1st day John!, Quebec city you should be there for lunch at noon.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• Phil C says:

I’ve only done it a few times so I’m no expert, but I stayed at the Sheraton right on the highway in Levis, just outside Quecbec City. Pretty nice hotel and you can often get a good rate from the Sheraton website. There is an ice cream/chocolate shop a short drive away that we always visit called Les Chocolats Favoris.

Another option is Riviere Du Loup. The hotels are not the greatest but we took our kids on a whale watching tour and actually saw some Blue Whales which was a nice addition to our trip.

6. Habilis says:

Awesome to see that Alex is doing so well. Keep up the great work little man!

All the best to the entire Smidt family.

7. savethepuck says:

So is tomorrow the day that the Habs and Meehan submit $ figures for if, and hopefully not when, they go before the arbitrator Friday? I seem to remember the Habs and Lars’ side offer the 1.65 and 3.1 figures in case of a Friday hearing last Wednesday.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Habilis says:

I think you’re right. But we know from Eller that those numbers mean nada anyhow. If they follow form, the deal will be announced sometime on Thursday.

There will be a deal prior to arbitration, there simply has to be. My only real concern is whether he gets 8 years or not. I’ve seen some chatter about 5. That would not be ideal, IMO. If you’re going to buy some of P.K.’s free agency, you buy as much as you can right now.

• savethepuck says:

I am confident there will be a deal Thursdsay or Friday morning too. The #’s they submit I think will be for what the arbitrator determines for a 1 year deal.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

8. twilighthours says:

Hey scamorza, you happy with that Nike watch? It does all you want?

You’d be shocked at the cost of mine…. Suunto Ambit 2. I’m embarrassed at how much I paid. But it’s amazing!

• scamorza says:

@ twi- Like it! Like I said just no elevation tracking which I miss from garmin days. You can sign up for joining nike community and all that jazz . Just really like how it keeps track of all my runs since I bought it 2 years ago. they just upgraded the interface so now it will show your run in geographic areas etc etc . Anyway it does inspire to get out there and beat the nike community and fellow runners in your age group. Also 200 smackers cheaper than my last garmin

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

9. Arnou Ruelle says:

Aside from player contracts, who here are in favour of additional changes w/c should be made for next season:

a) Coach’s Challenge
    b) Additional Video Review

• savethepuck says:

I personally think every goal should be reviewed . I also like the coach’s challenge for the phantom high stick calls we see once every few games.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

10. HabFan in Edmonton says:

Be strong Alex! So nice that Ian and many other Hab fans were able to help out. I am very happy that things are progressing in a positive direction for you.

11. Dr.Rex says:

My prayers are with you Alex.

12. Dr.Rex says:

When all is said and done, what is the most realistic contract PK will get this summer:

a) 1 year – 8 million through arbitration
    b) 1 year – 5.5m through arbitration
    c) 6 years @ 6.5m per
    d) 8 years @ 8 per
    e) 2 years @ 7.25 per

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Without question d), 8 years at a minimum of 8 million per year. No way they are going to arbitration unless Meehan is asking for a ridiculous contract.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

I think everybody, especially both Eng. and Fra. media should just relax with the whole PK contract thing.

Too much speculation about signing this week or arbitration is being brought out. I’m not really too hyped for this sort of reports and whether he decides to stay long term or not, I as a Habs fan should not be anxious about it. Subban deserves to make his decisions regarding his tenure in MTL. So, for everybody sake, “Relax and just Chill.”

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

It’s the biggest immediate issue for Hab fans and the amount of the contract will determine a lot regarding the flexibility MB has going forward. It’s a big issue! What else are we going to talk about right now regarding the Habs? It’s priority #1

13. Mattyleg says:

STOP. EVERYTHING.
    CBC:
    ‘Leafs ink defenceman Gardiner to 5-year, $20.25M: reports”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

HIO MEMBERS__I have been swamped with people’s idea’s of how to help 13 year old Alex and his Dad get to Montreal for the Summit.

First and foremost we will be waiting for Alex to recover and it might be to soon for him to make the trip this year. I have told both Alex and his Dad that when Alex is healthy enough, this fall Summit or next, that I have a pair of Summit tickets for them.

Lets just wait until he is healthy and fit enough to travell and attend. Then I will be asking for all of your help getting them to their 1st live game at the Bell Center & Summit!

You are all fantastic people and you will get a chance to contribute, I promise you!!
    Ian

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

15. StevieM61 says:

Best wishes to this habs fan….

On an unrelated note…

Do any HIO-ers have any experience with working in Singapore? I am being actively recruited to move there for a large electronics company…

Any info regarding cost of living, taxes etc..etc.. would be appreciated

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

• Habitant in Surrey says:

I lived in Singapore for a couple years as an expat. I loved it as a base from which to do business throughout Asia,

Taxes back then (early 90s) were very favourable for expats. It’s probably the best Asian city if You have a Family and/or special One living with You.

Housing can be expensive depending where You live. I lived-out of a suite in the Mandarin Hotel during My stay. I am not an expert of renting a home though.

Singapore was all glitz and modernity when I was living there, and must be even more so today.

• StevieM61 says:

hanks for the info HIS…

I am looking at maybe doing a 2 year stint to set up a large lab and then probably get out of Dodge after that..

Wife is not enthused.. Son, 23 yrs old , intrigued, daughter 17 is … well…17..’nuff said..
        Am hoping to get set up with housing paid and can bank enough to keep the Canada household going until I get home..

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

• habs001 says:

Friend worked as an engineer adv very nice but very hot and humid and housing very expensive…

• scamorza says:

can’t forget about not spitting gum on the streets…Heard only good things myself , a bit more reserved compared to say HK. Quite an experience to work abroad and 2-3 years is the time frame for most folks I know. Oh and housing and everything else is more expensive but the tax rate is nice

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• StevieM61 says:

yah.. heard the whole spitting / gum chewing thing..
          very strict from what I hear.

I figure if I can get housing paid for I can bank enough..

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Also don’t pizzle in the elevators. There’s a law for that too :)

Note Bene: Most Asian cities are pretty chaotic. Spitting, urinating in public places, leaving wads of gum on the sidewalks and everywhere else, are pretty common, among other things what We would call ‘uncouth’ habits. So Singapore wanted to avoid that, and have succeeded.

The city is orderly and beautiful in the most part. I never felt threatened in Singapore. You can walk the streets safely at any hour. Sober or not :)

Unless your bank account is on par with Bill Gates, get used to walking, getting around in taxis and the great SMRT (their Metro) system, because owing Your own car in Singapore is prohibitive.

If I was single at that time, I likely would prefer Hong Kong, Tokyo (both of which I also lived for a time) or Bangkok or Manila, but Singapore for Me, as a jump-off doing My business from Sri Lanka to Australia was perfect for My Wife and I.

• Marc10 says:

Singapore is a pretty sweet posting. You go there not because its Singapore, but because it’s a stone’s throw away from fantastic Asian tourist destinations where you can spend a weekend scuba diving, relaxing in a spa, shopping or on a jungle cruise.

You’ve got Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Burma, Cambodia, The Philippines, Indonesia, China, etc just around the corner.

And Singapore is safe. The secret police is everywhere so nothing bad ever happens (see there is a positive to a totalitarian regime). It’s clean. The food is terrific. It is bloody hot and humid, but apartments are modern and you lack for nothing. Heck, if you’re really well set up, you’ll be at the golf club most weekends you’re not away enjoying life at its finest. (Try the champagne brunch at Raffles where they invented the Singapore Sling… You’ll be stuffed to the gills!) There’s also the best health care in the world and transportation is very good.

Go there. At worse you have an adventure for 6 months in a cool part of the world.

• StevieM61 says:

I have spent time in Germany in the 80,s and 90,s and also in other eurocities where you tend to have a heavy police presence.. was never intimidated.. more like relieved..
        spent a bit of time in south korea and did not like it.. too crowded.
        Is Singapore like that?
        Although you did say the magic word
        Golf

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

• Marc10 says:

It’s densely populated for sure. It’s a small peninsula.

I lived in Tokyo for seven years and that was much like Seoul. Very packed in, quite polluted in parts… Singapore is a very clean in comparison and I found it less crowded. It was certainly more ‘Western’ than Korea or Japan and far less hectic than Hong Kong. In that sense you won’t feel like an outsider as much. Expats are an integral part of the Singapore scene and you won’t be sacrificing as much of the comforts of home as you would in developing Asia or in more ‘traditional’ cultures like Korea or Japan.

• StevieM61 says:

Also spent a bit of time in Paris… biggest pile of dog crap I have ever seen.
            was worried about the “island nation ” thing being a bit constricted..
            I was raised in a small town and still live in one..
            I need my “get in the bush” time..
            I hope you can drive a half hour and then lose yourself..

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Lots of things not far away in Malaysia, and the northern nearby islands of Indonesia. A few dayz in Bali will make You forget about Canada :)
            Just stay away from Kuta.

Take the train from Singapore to Northern Thailand. I was lucky enough to have done that spending 90 % of that ride hanging-out in the mail-car, feet hanging-out the door, drinking Thai whiskey with the train crew.

You are bringing back too many good-times Stevie !!! Stop Me !!! :)

• StevieM61 says:

still too many ifs..
            wife will want to stay home with daughter.. son will probably go.
            he is 23 and can adapt to anything..
            Thing we would miss most is probably slinging a gun over your shoulder first Monday in November and heading out to the bean field.

I still would be very into seeing all the other cool things nearby..
            Stopped diving in the late 80’s and have been thinking about taking it up again..

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

• DipsyDoodler says:

Hot and humid. Very clean and safe. Awesome food. Zero culture. Actually rank below Russia in press freedom index. Very beautiful women. Oh yeah, and fabulous food.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• habsgod says:

THANK-YOU STEVIEM61

16. Maritime Ronn says:

Q & A with Subban in the National Post today:

Question:
    Staying on the basketball theme: With LeBron James returning to Cleveland this summer, have you ever considered going home to play in Toronto?

PK: Um, I’d be wrong to say that I haven’t thought about it.
    But one thing’s for sure: Montreal’s a great place to play. The start to a tremendous career — hopefully — has been great in Montreal, when you think that we’ve put together a team that’s been in the playoffs in three out of four years. I’ve been a big part of it.

I’ve had individual success as well as team success. You look at last year, what we accomplished. And really, just setting the stage for a legacy there that, possibly, some players will never have in any organization. So I look at that first.

But definitely, to think that, at some point, you may have the opportunity to play in your hometown?
    Yeah, it’s unique.
    But I’m not in a position to elaborate any more on that.
    All I can say is that I’ve heard a lot about it, I’ve thought about it — but I’m very happy where I am right now, and they’ve treated me so well.
    —————————-

Question:
    During the playoffs, Doug Gilmour told a Toronto radio station he thought that you are: “Sometimes a little too flashy for us old-school guys.” What do you think he meant?

PK: I don’t know. I’ve had a chance to meet with Doug, and you know what? He’s entitled to his opinion. Everybody’s entitled to their opinion.
    It’s like Michael Jordan: He might have been proven to be the best player of all time, but some people say that Wilt Chamberlain was the best player of all time. You know what I mean? Everybody’s entitled to their opinion, and I respect that.
    Doug Gilmour was my favourite player.

I don’t know if you’ve ever seen that picture of me that they always show on Breakfast Television, of me wearing a Leafs jersey with a ‘C’ on it: That was Doug Gilmour’s jersey … so I’m not about to sit here and say I disagree with him.

Lots of other stuff…

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“Matt Duchene’s family spent more than $320,000 just to get him through minor hockey”…that’s insane. I’m sorry but if parents are spending anywhere close to that on hockey for their kids, they need to rethink their priorities.

• Mattyleg says:

Matt Duchene’s salary according to CapGeek:

2014-15: $6,000,000
        2015-16: $6,000,000
        2016-17: $6,000,000
        2017-18: $6,000,000
        2018-19: $6,500,000

…plus the $16,600,000 he made in the previous 5 years.

…plus sponsorships and advertising.

Considering the return on their investment, it sounds like his folks had their priorities just about right.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Are you seriously going to tell me that they knew years in advance he was going to become a millionaire? Give me a break…

• scamorza says:

Matty, have always appreciated your posts but have to agree with DDO here. A very, very small group make it to the NHL let alone make his earnings an future earnings . Who knows, obviously they knew something we don’t but would think they are the minority

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Mattyleg says:

Relax, DDO.
            It’s the summer.

Even if he didn’t become a millionaire like that, he could make extremely good money in the AHL or equivalents.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habs001 says:

25 to 35 point forwards now are getting 3.5m a year or more…parents will push their children even more to make the NHL even if the odds are so long…Look at PK…very good player but after 4 years 64 million plus contract…

• Loop_Garoo says:

That is just blind luck though. Even at 16 they still had no idea if he would play pro or not.

• habs-fan-84 says:

My boss is from Oakville and has a son playing AAA in the GTHL. From the stories I’ve heard, in no way do those numbers surprise me. These kids have private lessons with pros/skating instructors, specialized year round camps (shooting, skating, defense etc.), tournaments, travel, accomodations, equipment, bribes etc.

It really is insane the money some of these parents are spending.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Agreed, that seems like a ridiculous amount of money to spend. What if he didn’t make it? What did you give up? Money to spend on an education?

• CJ says:

I agree, that’s a ton of money. Not shocking though. People would be equally shocked how much some parents spend on golf. Competitive sports are really becoming games for the elitist.

• DipsyDoodler says:

You should see how much people are spending in the US to get their kids into an Ivy League school. Starting before age ten.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

There are so many West Island kids in their mid to upper teens with parents spending a fortune on their hockey – and not always parents with big incomes. It’s probably the same in most areas where there’s a little extra money around. The boys themselves have a great time, but while this sounds cruel to say, there are so many of them who are not going to beat 5″8 fully grown. Right off the bat, the limitations jump out if you aren’t the parents. Hockey’s cruel to small guys who may be rolling in talent, but will never get a sniff from the career their parents are planning.
        Not a lot of them get the American scholarships or get near Junior (most are already past their due date for that). But the hockey industry keeps working the NHL dreams for as long as it can – it really has become a fierce and lucrative little business.
        My neighbour is really embittered about his son not growing tall, even though no one in the family is even of average height. His son is out of the circuit now, flunking out of Cegep and getting stoned. Livin’ the dream.

• Marc10 says:

Good answers by PK. #Hab4Life

17. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

What a great story. Ian, Rob (Alayne), Timo and John are all class acts. Today instead of “GO HABS GO”, it’s: GO ALEX GO!!!

18. Maritime Ronn says:

Wow!
    What a great and thoughtful story.

HIO is so much more than a Web Site or a simple community.
    It has always proven to be a most caring and thoughtful site that transcends hockey when family and health items are involved.
    – A place that rallies the troops, where we all put aside stuff and come together when unexpected and serious health issues transpire.

Please forgive me if this suggestion is over the top or out of place, yet I would like to propose that HIO members celebrate the youngster’s and family renewed gift of health and recovery.

There is always a financial burden when unexpected health issues happen…let alone the most brutal mental and spiritual experiences of fear and anguish.

That mentioned, perhaps HIO as a great community, can get together and ease what perhaps may be a financial burden concerning a young Alberta fan and his family in attending the Ian Cobb Habs Summit in Montreal.

@ Ian Cobb:
    Hi Ian
    I pledge $ XXX towards the airfare and costs of young Alex to come to Montreal and experience a Habs game and the Summit.
    You know where to reach me and consider it done.
    Check your mail tomorrow.

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

Joe Finley: 250 lbs, 6′-8″

Sure makes You sit-up and listen, …don’t it ?

…at least until You get to His ‘bio’

Then You can slouch-back into Your chair again :)

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

Joe Finley: 250 lbs, 6′-8″

Sure makes You sit-up and listen, …don’t it ?

…at least until You get to His ‘bio’

…Then You can slouch-back into Your chair again :)

Like a medieval knight (call Me Sir Shootsalot :) ) I have been crusading for Our Montreal Canadiens to retire Toe Blake’s number 6 …and add His banner in the rafters next to Our other former Greats.

Some of You may believe Toe was only a Great Coach, and as a Player, did not quite rate such an honour …and/or, do not want yet another low-number retired and unavailable to contemporary Players.

…maybe unaware Toe Blake also was a great hockey Player, won a NHL scoring championship, the Hart Trophy and the Lady Byng, …and led Our Habs in scoring for 6 seasons of His Hall Of Fame playing career.

Hector ‘Toe’ Blake was a key component with The Rocket and Elmer Lach on ‘The Punch Line’, which was the most feared scoring line of it’s day.

Most younger Fans understandably remember Toe Blake mainly as the genius Coach of the Montreal Canadiens at the cusp of Our Golden Era …the Golden Era that most of Us, whether We know it or not, were inspired to follow Our Habs as if it was ‘a religion’ unto It’s own.

Toe Blake’s name is on 11 rings of the Stanley Cup; …8 as Our Coach, …2 as a Player for the Montreal Canadiens …and one as a Montreal Maroon.

Toe Blake was the ‘heart and soul’ motivator Whom inspired and ‘showed the way’ to Our great Players of the time, both as a Player and Our Captain (3 Stanley Cups), …and as Our Coach (8 Stanley Cups).

His Legacy is greatly taken for granted by the Montreal Canadiens and it’s great Fans, I strongly believe, by the fact that Toe Blake’s number 6 is not represented yet in the rafters of the Bell Centre.

The TOTALITY of Toe Blake’s legacy and contributions to the Montreal Canadiens, as a Player and Our Coach, to it’s History and exceptional success, becoming the most famous brand in the hockey world, is way embarrassingly past the overdue stage.

I request all Montreal Canadiens Fans to join with Ian Cobb and I to right an outstanding wrong and oversight.

We would like to encourage all Montreal Canadiens Fans whom agree with the objective to make Their opinions known to Mr. Geoff Molson and the Montreal Canadiens’ executive board, …that a special game night to honour Toe Blake’s number 6 with a banner in the Bell Centre is long-overdue and should be held at the soonest opportunity.

If this is something You would like to make right, as I and Ian do, I provide the following mail contacts to send Your requests to ‘Campaign To Retire Hector ‘Toe’ Blake’s Number 6 !!!’

Geoff Molson: President and Owner

Kevin Gilmore: Vice President of Operations

Send your testimonial to:

c/o The Montreal Canadiens

1909, avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal
    Montreal, QC, CANADA
    H3C 5L2

…merci beaucoup :)

_________________________________________________________
    Michel F.Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs

HIS’ alternative HIO Official Theme Song: ‘MTL Stand-up !': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK0l0XEW3Dw

HIS’ Get It Up ! pre-game musical intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=R5mMRiiCwak&NR=1
    _________________________________________________________
    HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least:

Mike Boone MARCH 25, 2014 AT 7:54 AM
    Finding every way to stir up sh.. is pretty much my job description.

Mike Boone
    Hockey Inside/Out blogger

For all HIO members: this is Scott Moore’s Twitter account link; https://twitter.com/MooreScottmoore

Scott Moore is President of Sportsnet and NHL Hockey for Rogers.

Any of You with a Twitter account, give him Your opinion of the Roger’s television access for Our Montreal Canadiens

While You’re at it, provide him the link to Our petition page so he can sign it :)

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

21. Habfun says:

To me this story is about Alex (full and speedy recovery to you lad!)
    But it is also about the love and compassion from people like Ian and Timo, you guys are great! You are true men! And all the posters here with heartfelt well wishes to Alex. This is amazing I am in awe! I have been chatting on this site for about 2 years on and off and have watched the knowledge and wisdom of many posters. I have learned a lot and I would like to thank each and everyone of you. HIO is just loaded with beautiful people!! I am one proud Hab Fan just to be able to type this and say I AM A HABS FAN!!

Get well Alex, you have wonderful friends everywhere!

It’s all about the CH

22. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Get better soon Alex! Heartfelt thanks to HIO folks Ian, Timo and Rob for giving so much of yourselves to this worthy cause. Best wishes to Alex for a full recovery.

24 cups and counting….

23. flowerpower_74 says:

Get well soon Alex!! Looking great young man!!

Montreal Canadiens-2013 and forever Northeast Division Champs

24. Habitant in Surrey says:

…just finished a coffee reluctantly reading of Putin’s megalomania, Russian/Ukranian separatists preventing the proper collection of corpses and evidence of MH 17 as they lay scattered in foreign fields

…the horror of Hamas killing Jews and Jews killing back

Here in My little universe, seeing My sweet daughter Venus crying lost innocence, realizing for the first time that there are heartless humans capable of leaving new-born kittens in Our local dumpster.

Life is about caring. Life without caring is not Life.

Long Life Alex !

Go Habs Go !

• BJ says:

Hello HiS. You may want to look at a map of Palestine in 1948 and compare it to a map now. It may help in the understanding of the Palestinian perspective. They basically live in an outdoor concentration camp. The land grab is on and continuing and so is the ethnic cleansing. Both the Ukraine and Palestinian situations are connected.

25. habstrinifan says:

@UCE:
    I came to post a long thank you and appreciation for your reply to me. I am sure you will understand (caption/picture) why it seems unnecessary to be that long winded now. Thank you for your response.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

26. habstrinifan says:

What a beautiful picture of FAMILY and JOY AND LIFE!
    YOU are a HERO Alex…. just look at the smiles you are putting on the faces of EVERYONE around you. We in HIO are smiling like crazy too Alex.. All because of you.

Keep getting better young man!

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

27. shiram says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, just trying to understand the waivers concept.
    If St-Louis brings up Mueller, he would go through waivers, and any team can claim him, unless it’s an emergency call up (the team has less than 12 forwards on the big club).
    Right?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Waivers only apply when a player is sent down now, not on the way back up. The NHLPA got recall waivers abolished, since sometimes a team would ‘sneak’ a player through waivers, and they wouldn’t bring him back up the rest of the year for fear of losing him on recall waivers. So you’d have players being left in the AHL on a technicality, whereas they normally would be given a shot in the NHL after an injury or other opportunity arose.

At training camp, Peter Mueller will be exposed to waivers if he doesn’t make the team and is sent down to the AHL.

28. Thurston says:

Best wishes to Alex and his family! Keep fighting, young man!

29. Cal says:

Is HIO greater than the sum of its parts? Do Stubbs, Cowan, Branswell and Boone have some sort of secret recipe? Is it on the commentariat’s side, where great hockey posters like (in no particular order)Chris, UCe, commandant, twilight speak their minds? Is it on the lighter side, where Bellyful, myself, Timo, 10912 and Burly spout off on all subjects great and small?
    Or can the whole ball of wax reside in the heart of HIO’s Summiteer, and greatest literacy advocate, Ian Cobb?
    So many great commentaters. So much good will- this goes back to Bripro and his wife finding a certain truck in time for Christmas- here and so many great arguments. And now, Rob (and his wife) and Timo deliver a special gift to young Alex in Children’s Hospital in Calgary.

HIO rules.

30. Un Canadien errant says:

Justin Bourne is consistently one of the most interesting writers on hockey. Here, he takes a look at five NHL’ers and what kind of sticks they use.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

31. scamorza says:

Sitting in the airport and just read the news about Alex and family – wow just so happy to hear that things are going well and pray only for continued best wishes and good health.
    As a Dad who spent a few weeks in the ICU when my son was born, alex’s struggle brought back challenging memories so just so happy to hear him so excited about the summit and for him to be so excited about the habs and their next cup win well we all have to believe that next year may be it. Heck smaller miracles have happened.
    It just is so nice to hear a young boy get excited about our beloved Habs.

My son is now 10 – many challenges of a mental disability nature, He has been non verbal for most of his life but slowly gaining some vocabulary. The two emotional moments for me was when he was able to say I love you Dad and of course Go Habs GO.
    Can’t wait to see Alex and family in November don’t think there will be a dry eye in the place. Congrats to HIO family in Calgary for making Alex’s day and now mine for reading this
    BTW now I know why Ian is such a nice guy another ex- Soth Shore Quebecer!
    come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

32. BJ says:

Thanks for the good news. Looking at all the suffering in Palestine, Ukraine, Lybia etc, its uplifting to see and read about our caring HIO Community.

33. Forum Dog says:

Good to hear the young lad is pulling through. Keep going Alex!

Got to admit, there is some pretty good leadership and a real sense of community here at HIO, which seems rare for an internet forum. I myself really only come for the (generally) respectful hockey talk, but obviously for a number of you there is a lot more to it than that. Good on yez! Every positive contribution makes the world a better place….

34. frontenac1 says:

That’s Great News about Alex. Let’s keep up the positive thoughts for him and his family.

35. Habs signed LD Joe Finley to a one year two way contract.

36. kalevine says:

great job Ian and the generous members in Calgary and elsewhere. This community stands together….at least in matters not directly related to hockey :)
    Glad to see Alex is doing better

37. bwoar says:

Bulldogs pickup tough defenseman Joe Finley, ex-Islander & Sabre, minor leaguer. 6’8″, 250lbs.

38. Feraco says:

Great article. Good job Ian. All the best everyone

39. shiram says:

Another free agent off the boards.

St. Louis BluesVerified account ‏@StLouisBlues

The Blues have agreed to terms on a one-year, two-way contract with forward Peter Mueller. #stlblues

• DipsyDoodler says:

This year’s Konopka!

By the way, where is Konopka playing?

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• shiram says:

Don’t think he signed just yet.
        He was given a 20 games penalty for a violation of the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program, does not make for an attractive player considering he’ll miss about 25% of the games.

• Luke says:

Are those part of the 30 – 50 he’d be a healthy scratch for anyways?

• shiram says:

That’s an interesting thought, but he probably would just be unavailable for the first 20 games of the suspension.
            He could ride the press box as needed afterwards.

• Luke says:

In truth though, he’s got a pretty bad back (over the counter meds is the reason for the failure) and is on the wrong side of 30.

I like him, but I’d pass.

Bissonette? He’s got the chutzpah to be a Hab. (Well, a good twitter account).
            He sign yet?

And both are local (to me, Burly and some others) guys!

• shiram says:

This got me thinking of Brad Staubitz, during the Cunneyworth time.
            He and White looked to be the only ones having fun during that time
            Both he and Bissonnette are free agents as of now.

40. twilighthours says:

Reading about heart rate training is freaking boring. This better make me faster.

• Luke says:

I tried it for one season. Couldn’t handle it… trying to track pace and heart rate while doing intervals then the battery died on my garmin and I’ve been happy since.

(No advanced stats in my running!)

• twilighthours says:

I turned off pace display, only looking at heart rate for a while.

Zone 2 is reaaaaaally slow.

• Luke says:

I found it got very distracting… but yah, that zone stuff… it’s hard to try and put in less effort than feels natural.

An odd conundrum.

• scamorza says:

my garmin died too bought nike watch a cheaper alternative only thing i miss is no indication of (hilly) terrain

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

41. pete says:

All the best to Alex and great job Ian and rob.Thats why it is great to be a habs fan. OH almost forgott was great of timo for sending the gift

42. Ton says:

I don’t post in the summer for its a long season but stories like this are touching……………Ian great work, Rob as well………………and Timo hats off to you………………..I always said Timo is great……….we love Timo! Alex get well!

43. hansolo says:

Wait, Rob Hing is Timo? Where is the dude in the aviator hat and glasses who calls himself Michael?

EDIT – never mind, I get it he’s not. Nonetheless, thanks to you, too, Timo/Michael.

44. on2ndthought says:

One look at that picture and you can see Alex is a fighter!

Good health to Alex, his family, and all the HIO community.

“a cannonading drive”

45. hansolo says:

This is a hockey forum. After all, most of us come here for conversation. It’s more play than work by a large margin. It’s not like we come here looking for answers to profound questions on the nature of the universe (ok, maybe hockey analytics come close), nor are we debating how best to achieve world peace.

Yet, as this story shows, members here give of themselves – a lot – and can be profoundly kind. A tip of the hat to Ian, HiS for his news reports a few days ago and to the HIO members from Calgary who visited Alex. I must confess I’m more of a follower than a leader when it comes to these things but I do very much look at what you did with some awe and not a little bit of pride that a forum on which I occasionally post can be such a force for good.

Maybe it would be nice to channel this in other areas that aren’t so close to home? Or would that take away from the essential nature of the site as a hockey forum?

And, oh, Alex, little buddy, hang in there and get well soon.

46. Donkey Hoat says:

Lovely; all the best to the little guy and his family.

47. sprague cleghorn says:

In the words of The Rocket, “never give up”.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

HIO members have become such a fantastic community & family! We will always look after our own and others. Alex is a fighter and is now our new, “NUMBER 1, 2014 HIO Summit FAN”.

I order and paid for all Summit game tickets today.

There will be 152 members coming to our 2014 Summit NOV. 28th & 29th this year. Some have their own tickets, but we will see everyone at Hurley’s Pub, (2nd floor) for the meet and greet, name tags, and to watch the Hab’s on big screen, beat The Sabers, Gorges and Gionta on the Friday night!

Please remember to bring your children’s raffle donation gift, to the Baton Rouge at 3pm.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

49. Hstands4Hockey says:

Wow – well done guys.

——————————————————————–
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

50. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Good to see this kid bouncing back – I’ve been thinking of him every day and wondering how he was doing. I think we all wish we had superpowers and could just solve problems like Alex has faced, but for a lot of us, all we can do is care how this guy does. Way to battle, Alex.

And Timo – your cheerful perspective has gotten to me a few times over the years, but from now on I will always simply smile and raise a glass to you. You’re good people. Ian, Rob, Alayne and Timo – thanks.

• twilighthours says:

Huh. So timo is legitimately a good guy.

Then what possible motivation to act like a dink online?

• Cal says:

It’s his schtick. Timo is the Curmudgeon of Calgary with the heart of a Hab.

• HabsWin-nipeg says:

“dink”? If I had been drinking I would have spewed on my computer (at work no less). Thanks for the laugh – haven’t heard that word for a long time. Just goes to show you that what we see online here is not necessarily an accurate representation of the real person behind the posts. A situation like that of young Alex cuts through all the other stuff to reveal the heart of the person.

• habsgod says:

THANK-YOU CHARLIEHODGEFAN

51. Rob says:

Just wanted to take the opportunity to publicly say a big thank you to Ian Cobb for presenting me with the idea of visiting Alex. I spoke to John (habsgod) on the phone for over an hour and i have to say he is as passionate a Habs fan as I’ve ever met; and I’ve met a few! And after meeting Alex, it’s clear his passion has rubbed off on his son. Alex is a tremendously sweet and polite boy and it was a real honour getting a chance to meet him and John’s wife Mary Lou. They’re wonderful people and I just know Alex is gonna make a full recovery and will meet us all one day at a future summit! And when I got to the hospital room, Mary Lou showed me a great huge gift basket that was sent with a card that was signed “Timo”. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Timo in person and as such this act didn’t surprise me one bit. But I think it’s nice to know that the people behind the avatars we see on HIO are real people and are capable of doing really amazing things. Even the one’s whose personas can be a little…negative at times. Right Timo? :P

anyway, just wanted to say thanks again to Ian and to the HIO community as a whole. Being a Habs fan is a special thing and this forum proves what I always have said: the fans of the Montreal Canadiens are family.

P.S. just want to clear up a little confusion I’ve been reading in some of of the posts. The picture is one Alayne and I took at the hospital with Alex yesterday, and Alex is John’s son, not mine. Although I would call both John and Alex good friends….and family.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

52. Mattyleg says:

Amazing stuff, HI/O.
    Great work Ian, and lookin’ good, Rob and Alayne!!
    Best wishes to the young ‘un and the family.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

53. habs-fan-84 says:

What a wonderful place this. Great job!

54. twilighthours says:

Awesome picture

55. DipsyDoodler says:

Alex is looking like he’s on the mend. Good luck to him.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

56. joeybarrie says:

Very happy to hear Alex is doing better. Thank you for putting up an update. Things like this show you whats truly important in the world. Family and friends. Love. People. Finding things in common with others as opposed to seeing our differences.
    But MOST importantly how great Habs fans are….. and how much more important the Montreal Canadiens are than any other team on the planet….
    Its really quite fascinating to see what this blog has developed in the last 5 years. Very impressive. We have an excellent community here at Habsinsideout.

57. habs001 says:

Alex looks good and hopefully back on his feet soon….Meanwhile PK will get a yearly salary that covers probably the majority of the staffs salary at the hospital.

58. habsonly says:

Great picture, nice to see a happy smiling family after all they have been through.
    I must say I have always been proud of being a Habs fan but after seeing this picture and reading all the comments and this story I am extremely proud to be a habs fan and to be associated with this group on HIO (even though I don’t contribute much dissussion on here), very classy everyone and props to Ian, Rob and Timo.

59. CJ says:

Thank you Mr. Cowan and HIO for sending along an update on our young friend Alex.

Echoing comments shared by others, as the father of two young boys, I can only begin to imagine the concern that would besiege a young family when health related issues impacted a member of their team.

Again, sending positive thoughts and wishing you all the very best. Most importantly, looking forward to meeting you at the next Summit.

Kindly,

CJ

60. A very touching story for sure!! Get well young man Alex. You have a lot of Habs supporters here wishing you a speedy recovery. The picture of a thousand words and many thanks for all who went beyond their way to make this happen. God Bless and our prayers are with you.

61. Un Canadien errant says:

A quick question for John Smidt or anyone else in the know: Tim Bozon contracted meningitis in Saskatoon, or at least came down with it after a game against the Blades. Now Alex from Regina. Is there an outbreak in Saskatchewan, or is this just random bad luck?

EDIT: Here’s what I found after a quick Google. The article dates back to March.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

62. Luke says:

From the previous thread:

Mr_MacDougall:
    Mathematics are used to study and define events, identify trends. Attempting to use mathematics to describe hockey is similar to using math to describe the individual ripples of a flowing river, it is not advanced and it is pointless. We can define the entire river flow, water temperature, but not the behaviour of each individual ripple.

You can, if you chose to delve deeply enough, define the behaviour of each individual ripple.

As for “Mathematics are used to study and define events, identify trends. Attempting to use mathematics to describe hockey (snip) is pointless.

They use the math to define the events and trends in hockey.
    It’s something like this:
    Trend when “Player X” is on the ice – Team has possession of the puck for 43% of the play. They are outshot by opponent.

Trend when “Player Y” is on the ice – Team has possession of the puck for 52% of the play. Team outshoots opponent.

I’m not sure I understand why you wouldn’t see the value in that kind of analysis.

• twilighthours says:

And while it may be difficult (yet still possible) to model individual ripples, we’ve got pretty good science describing fluid flows and properties.

These new metrics are quite good at painting the broader strokes, the long term effects and predictive power. I don’t see anyone in the hockey analytics community proclaiming that metrics will predict what will happen next shift or even next game.

Sometimes I think the critics don’t understand the intent of the new metrics.

Certainly the Kings and black hawks do, as those teams have admitted to using analytics. Meanwhile, Brian Burke doesn’t…..

And anyway, this new leaf guy isn’t a stats nerd. He’s spent his whole life in a rink, watching and playing hockey. He sounds well qualified, intelligent, and with fresh ideas. Good on him.

• shiram says:

People take it to the extreme on both sides.
        The “watch the game” crowd are missing out on interesting and valuable information, while the “numbers says it all” crowd are blinded by numbers that cannot account for all situations.

Take some, leave some, and have a nice day.

• twilighthours says:

We at HiO have a tendency of letting a few messengers ruin the message.

• Cal says:

I don’t find possession stats to be “valuable.”
          Contending teams will, in all probability, have positive possession stats while the other teams won’t. Teams with great players on them, like Crosby’s Penguins, and Toews’ Hawks should have stats pointing out how well their team does compared to, say, the Sabres of 2013/14.

My other argument (if you want to call it one) is that off ice officials in the 30 rinks cannot count shots properly, nor body checks. Expecting these same officials to be accurate on what they report is expecting too much. The information or data they process is flawed.

That’s why I am a “watch the game” guy. My eyes tell me what a great game it is, and whom to watch.

• twilighthours says:

I’m on a phone cal and therefore won’t debate you now, but rest assured that you’re wrong!

(jokes! Relax! Smileys! :-))

• Cal says:

@Twi- I figured as much! ;)

• shiram says:

That’s where the “take some, leave some” comes into place, and there’s no substitute to watching the game.

• B says:

Watching the game is important, but different people can see different things watching the same game. Individual mistakes can appear glaring and more frequent for players one doesn’t care for yet may seem minor and more easily ignored for players one is high on. I think this is more human nature than a conscious effort. In the same vein, fans of any team will tell you with sincerity that their team gets screwed over by the officials more often than the other team. Sometimes we see what we want to see.

I think stats are also important even though they don’t tell the whole story. Stats can also be selectively gleaned and presented (or glossed over) when trying to support either side of a particular claim.

Often it just boils down to subjective opinions. I suppose that’s what keeps the dialogue going on forums like this?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Cal says:

Got it in one, B.
            It’s difference of opinion that makes a horse race.
            Difference of opinion is alive and well here.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Not only is the notion that Mathematics can ” define the entire river flow, water temperature, but not the behaviour of each individual ripple” incorrect. There’s actually no other way to understand (model) the individual ripples than with math.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• on2ndthought says:

just want to know which river scored more goals.

“a cannonading drive”

63. Un Canadien errant says:

Glad to see a picture of Alex doing well.

Ian, Timo, Rob, great great stuff. Proud of you guys.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

64. montreal ace says:

Just a fabulous photo of Alex smiling, while on the road to recovery, with Mom and Dad.

65. adamkennelly says:

get well soon Alex. huge props to Ian, Timo and Rob – awesome work. what a great community we have here at HIO.

66. Slackman says:

Get well soon little buddy! You might be cheering for the habs but we’re all cheering for you!

67. AliHaba says:

Way to go Alex! This is an amazing story. So happy to see that things are improving for this Habs family. Shows that we truly are a close-knit group.

Here’s a topic that should get the banter going:-

Fact: The most important statistic is Stanley Cup wins…agreed?

That being said… it is a fact then that the Habs won the Savard/Chelios trade since they won the 1993 cup with Savard while Chicago never won a cup with Chelios.

68. veryhabby says:

WOW. As a mom of a 14 yr old, I can’t imagine going thru that as a family. So sudden and shocking. Awesome to hear he is on the road to recovery. All the best Alex! I’ll be praying for a quick recovery

69. DAVE. N says:

When the world is full of negative issues, this is the type of story that should make headlines. Smidt family keeps strong, conquers a Summit; prepares for another.
    Get better soon, and kudos to all the extra efforts and support for this family. HIO cares.

Save the planet. Compost a Leaf.

70. mdp2011 says:

Well done Ian, Rob and Timo. Get well soon Alex!!!!

71. Cal says:

Stories like this and contributors like Ian set this site apart from any and all hockey sites. This is why HIO is my home page.

Get well, Alex. We are all pulling for you and want to meet you at the Summit!

72. JUST ME says:

Go Alex go ! You get well soon and fast now ! Best vibes to you to mom and dad !

73. mrhabby says:

Great story. Get better soon Alex.

74. Habfan10912 says:

Wonderful story. The HIO family has kept Alex and his family near to our hearts. Get better soon!