Best wishes from HIO to young Habs fan battling meningitis

Our best wishes from everyone at HIO for a speedy and full recovery for Alex Smidt, a 13-year-old Canadiens fan from Regina who is battling bacterial meningitis.

Alex was rushed by air to Calgary Children’s Hospital recently and has undergone four surgeries. The teenager was wearing his Canadiens pajamas and shirt when taken to hospital and also brought a Habs flag with him.

Ian Cobb, a lifetime Habs fan who grew up in St. Lambert and now lives in Belleville, Ont., and organizes the annual HIO Summit in Montreal, made arrangements for Rob Hing and his wife Alayne – members of the HIO family who live in Calgary – to visit Alex in hospital Monday and they brought along some Habs goodies for the teenager (photo above).

Hing told Alex that everyone at HIO was cheering for him and Cobb is making arrangements to have tickets for Alex and his father to attend this season’s HIO Summit slated for Nov. 29 when the Buffalo Sabres are in town if the youngster is healthy enough to travel by that time.

“Hopefully it gives him something to look forward to and keeps him motivated to keep fighting and to get better,” Hing told Cobb in an email.

Here’s a post Alex’s father – longtime HIO member John Smidt – put on HIO Monday night after his son received the Habs gifts from Hing and his wife:

Hi everyone, just thought I’d let u know that my son Alex is doing very well in the children’s hospital in Calgary…the doctors are amazed at how well he’s recovering from the 4 surgeries and the meningitis that he had…. I want to thank a couple more HIO members, Timo and Rob from Calgary…. Rob and his wife visited Alex today and really made Alex’s day and he was very excited and the gifts Rob and his Mrs. brought him: they brought him a Habs jersey, a coffee cup (travel mug) and a night light for his room! I’m at home in Regina, Alex had to phone so excited about his stuff! My wife and I cried at the generosity of what Rob did for our little boy! That made Alex’s day he was very, very excited.

My wife said she hadn’t seen Alex this excited in a long, long time! So again I just wanted to say thank you again to all of you guys on here for your thoughts and prayers for Alex ……you guys are the greatest and it makes me so very proud to be a Habs fan seeing all the love and support you guys gave me, my wife and Alex that this most difficult time! Alex said to me dad now I have a new Habs jersey that I can wear to the summit and I can wear when we watch the Habs win the Stanley Cup! He said with my new jersey dad I’m now a full fledged Habs fan! I said that can go with your Habs pj’s your shirts, winter jacket … you were born a Habs fan son! He said I love you dad and I can’t wait to watch our Habs play! Also like I said I want to give a big thank-you to Timo and Ian Cobb, and Rob! My heart goes out to you! Everyone on here thank you again so very much ill never forget all the out pouring of love for my son Alex!

THANK-YOU GUYS SO VERY MUCH! I LOVE ALL YOU GUYS
HABSGOD (JOHN SMIDT)

(Photo courtesy of Rob Hing)

20 Questions with P.K. Subban, National Post

Habs prospect Bozon on comeback trail from meningitis, canadiens.com

Bulldogs add 6-foot-8, 250-pound defenceman Joe Finley, Stu on Sports blog

Habs’ Subban gets a golf lesson at Canadian Open, Stu on Sports blog

1. boing007 says:

Five years, 35 million. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. With that, perhaps a three year extension built in at 9 million or more. Fits in nicely with the cap over time and gives MB more dollars to find some players that will take the team to the Finals and an eventual cup win. PK will end up with the amount that he’s asking for over the next eight years it will just take longer to get there. Simple.

Richard R

2. on2ndthought says:

@ Steeltown Hab:
    I admire your admiration for PK.

One statement that will never stand up here at HIO?

“It’s not even open for debate.”

Everything is open for debate, except this statement! ;)

“a cannonading drive”

3. shiram says:

New thread.

4. Old Bald Bird says:

PK may not have been #1 in MT’s mind or in minutes played, but he was sure #1 in my mind. No question about it.

5. on2ndthought says:

This article from a month ago seems to say Lacroix was coming back in NY with the Rangers. What happened, did they forget to sign him?

Also, I see that Bergevin and Ramage played together in TB. (TB was where Lacroix was 2 years ago as well). I always (admired/liked/hated) the way Ramage played, like Chris Neil if my memory serves.

“a cannonading drive”

• on2ndthought says:

this is the quote from the article:
      “At least coaches’ salaries don’t fall under the salary cap. With NHL head coaching vacancies full, Alain Vigneault’s staff will be back in tact, including associate head coach Scott Arniel, assistant coaches Ulf Samuelsson and Dan Lacroix, and goaltending coach Benoit Allaire.”

“a cannonading drive”

6. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Hmm, if Subban is asking for 8.5 – it means he wants 7 to 7.5 next year. It’s too much, but it isn’t completely crazy.

5.25 from the Habs is a reasonable starter for negotiations. No one on either side means these numbers – they are negotiationg around 7, I guess.

The sky won’t fall, the Cap Hit won’t freeze over and with luck, tomorrow brings a deal that is reasonable for the Cap moving forward.

If not, how about the Impact eh? Blrrphtt.

7. joeybarrie says:

8 million time 8 years is my guess.
    Keeping it simple.

8. jeffhabfan says:

To John I hope for all the best for Alex moving forward and I know Ian well and he is the nicest guy I have ever met with his huge heart. I hope to see you at this years summit John and Alex.GO HABS GO.

9. habtastic74 says:

A couple things on my mind…When the Habs send their number to the arbitrator, they know that they will not “win” that exact number. Everyone ends up conceding something in one way or another. So, when MB submits 5.25, he is actually probably hoping to come out around 6-6.5.

My other thought is this: Would it really be so bad if Subban and the Habs agreed to a one year $7-8 million deal tomorrow before arbitration hits? I know Subbie has done his bridge already, but is it really so bad for a team to continue asking a player to prove himself before committing for 8 years? This way the Habs can say, “Prove it to me one more time P.K.,” and Subban all but has a guarantee of his contract next year provided he has a good year. We also don’t end up having to bash one another at an arbitration hearing. I know PK doesn’t want to do one year, but if it looks like we are headed to arbitration anyway, wouldn’t he probably accept one year at $8-8.5 mil?

• habstrinifan says:

“Prove it to me one more time P.K.,” and Subban all but has a guarantee of his contract next year provided he has a good year. ….

Unrealistic… if after the ‘bidge’ contract Subban now has to prove ‘it’ again (I don’t know what ‘it’ means..) why would Subban trusts their ‘guarantee’ again.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• habtastic74 says:

because he’s an RFA with no real leverage. If the Habs choose to stand firm, both sides will go to arbitration tomorrow, and they will hafta bash one another and likely come out with a salary between $6.5-$7 imo. So, if you’re PK, and you know that a one year contract WILL be the end result (if the Habs are standing firm) why not take your $8 million straight up, and force their hand next year when the Habs have one last chance at you as an RFA. Yes, it sucks for PK, but that’s the life of a RFA.

10. mdp2011 says:

Rob Ramage joins the Canadiens as Player Development Coach.

Also, at the end of the Habs press release is this little tidbit.

REORGANIZATION – HOCKEY PERSONNEL
    The Canadiens also announced a reorganization within the hockey department. Rick Dudley was named senior vice president, hockey operations. Scott Mellanby was promoted to assistant general manager, to work along with Larry Carrière. Trevor Timmins was appointed vice president of player personnel, as well as retaining his responsibilities as the Club’s director of amateur scouting.

• shiram says:

Raises for everyone!!

• Luke says:

Rob Ramage?

THE Rob Ramage?

Of the Birmingham Bulls?

Interesting choice. I can’t help but immediately be reminded of the car accident he was in, and the tragic loss of Keith Magnusen. Lots of strong opinions on how that event was handled.

Given MB’s mantra of character, I would think much discussion took place on how his life has been affected and perhaps changed since then.

Edit: here is an article written in 2011 when Ramage got back into hockey as an Asst. Coach with the London Knights.

• mdp2011 says:

yeah, that was my first thought too. I can’t remember how it turned out though, was he found guilty of drunk driving?

• smiley says:

On December 15, 2003, Ramage was driving former Chicago Blackhawks captain Keith Magnuson to an NHLPA players’ alumni meeting when his rented Chrysler Intrepid car swerved into the oncoming lane and collided with another vehicle, killing Magnuson and injuring the driver of the other vehicle. Ramage was charged with impaired driving causing death and dangerous driving causing death. Defense lawyer Brian Greenspan claimed the blood and urine tests were flawed, and the smell of alcohol came from beer cans that exploded after the crash.[3]

On October 10, 2007, Ramage, who had pleaded not guilty, was found guilty on all counts. The Magnuson family had forgiven Ramage and urged the judge not to send him to prison, instead suggesting that Ramage speak to teens about the dangers of drinking and driving.[3] On December 3, 2007, in a Missouri civil suit, Ramage and National Car Rental of Canada were found liable for the death of Magnuson. The family of Magnuson was awarded $9.5 million.[3] On January 17, 2008, Ramage was sentenced to four years in prison. Legal experts described the sentence as the harshest ever handed out in Ontario to a motorist with no previous record for drinking and driving. Ramage remained free on bail until his appeal of the sentence was denied on July 12, 2010.[4]

In July 2010, Ramage began serving his sentence at Frontenac Institution,[5] a minimum security facility in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.[6] In March 2011, Ramage made his first application for day parole and release to a halfway house, but this request was denied. The board did grant him permission to leave the minimum-security prison for three-day unescorted absences once a month. The board cited its belief that Ramage did not yet understand the severity of the actions which led to his incarceration. Their concern centered on Ramage’s drinking habits and whether he took responsibility for the crash.[5] On May 5, 2011 Ramage’s second request for day parole was granted. He is barred from drinking alcohol and he is restricted from visiting establishments where alcohol is the primary focus. Ramage must undergo psychological counseling and the court order prevents him from driving.[7]

Originally Ramage was not eligible to seek accelerated parole because his crime was considered violent. The federal government is abolishing legal provisions that free some non-violent, first-time offenders as soon as six months into their sentences. Ramage’s full sentence is to expire in July 2014.[8]

• Luke says:

It might offer a bit of perspective to some of the teenagers with a brand new Mercedes SL63 AMG Roadster a plump bank account.

11. Chris says:

The arbitrator can choose a value anywhere between the two camps, but he is certainly not obligated to meet them halfway, which seems to be a common belief. The Shea Weber hearing is applicable. In 2011, Weber’s agent submitted a $8.5 million salary while the Predators went low with a $4.75 million salary for a one-year deal. The salary cap applicable to the 2011-12 season for which that salary would count was $64.5 million, and the arbitrator ultimately awarded a $7.5 million salary.

Subban does not value his last 2 RFA years in the $6.5-7 million range. He fully believes he is a $8+ million player now, with that figure going up when he is an unrestricted free agent. This makes me a little concerned that the long term deal gets done before they go to arbitration. He (rightly) feels that he already gave the team their bargain basement deal, so I can’t see him feeling too generous this time around.

I also don’t think the Habs have much of an arbitration case here. Subban has established himself as an elite offensive defenceman. One major argument, that he doesn’t play the penalty kill, would get blown out of the water by Don Meehan, as he can point to 2011-12 where Subban played well in a major penalty killing role. Or the 2010-11 playoffs, where Subban had the most ice time on a penalty killing unit that shut out the Bruins in all 7 games. Therrien’s strange decision to not use Subban in that role does not mean that Subban cannot play that role, as already demonstrated at the NHL level.

Subban produces offence, he is a solid defender, he throws hits…he is a difference maker in every sense of the word. Montreal can try to point at Pietrangelo, but the Habs are going to point at Weber.

Going into their arbitration hearings:

Shea Weber
    Career – 402 GP, 80 G, 214 PTS, +23, 313 PIM, 36 PPG
    Previous Two Seasons – 160 GP, 32 G, 91 PTS, +7, 92 PIM, 13 PPG, 376 Hits, 219 BS
    Career Playoffs – 33 GP, 8 G, 17 PTS, -1, 28 PIM, 3 PPG

P.K. Subban
    Career – 282 GP, 42 G, 167 PTS, +10, 383 PIM, 25 PPG
    Previous Two Seasons – 124 GP, 21 G, 91 PTS, +8, 138 PIM, 11 PPG, 186 Hits, 174 BS
    Career Playoffs – 43 GP, 10 G, 30 PTS, E, 63 PIM, 7 PPG

Looking at the more recent two seasons to the arbitration hearing on a per-game basis (given that one of Subban’s previous two seasons was shortened by the lockout), Weber scored more goals but scored almost 25% fewer points. Weber threw significantly more hits, but Subban blocked slightly more shots.

The one and only argument that can be made against Subban is the lack of discipline. That would be an awfully interesting argument in front of the arbitrator, because Subban’s camp COULD try to raise the spectre that he is held to a different standard (something most Habs fans can see just by watching the games).

• Forum Dog says:

I am actually somewhat encouraged by this. If PK is looking at $8.5M as an arbitration award, I am thinking that he could settle for something close to $8M on a long-term deal, and not be pushing for a $9M annual cap-hit.

I didn’t love his comments in the post about considering the possibility of playing in T.O. at some point in his career, but he is the motor of this team and figures to be for at least the next 7-8 years…

• Luke says:

Therrien’s strange decision to not use Subban in that role

I still don’t think it’s strange. Montreal had plenty of Defenseman that could play on the PK. They play P.K. for pretty much the full PP, he gets ~25 minutes a game. He needs to rest at some point.

He was used on the PK when the usual PKers were the ones in the box.

I don’t think it was an aversion to using P.K. on the PK, but rather
      it wasn’t necessary.

I think this year will be a bit more telling. With Gorges gone, a prime PKer, that opens a pretty big spot. Plus Murray and Boo saw time as PKers. I’m not sure if Gilbert plays that role, so i can’t comment on that, but I suspect, this season, PK will be on the PK.

(We need to come up with a code, or something, when discussing the PKs).

12. twilighthours says:

I mostly stay away from the money debate, but I’ll be captain obvious for a second:

If the Habs are keeping PK for the long term, it’s looking an awful lot like he will carry an AAV of more than $8.5 mil.

For those of us who were expecting less than that….sorry.

13. shiram says:

Canadiens MontréalVerified account ‏@CanadiensMTL

Dan Lacroix joins the Montreal Canadiens coaching staff. DETAILS -> http://goha.bs/1o3MUOJ pic.twitter.com/VzEElw4vn7

14. habstrinifan says:

With all due respects to Ian Cobb, I feel that his respect for Geoff Molson’s dollars is a bit misplaced. Molson is not a philanthropist running the HABS for the fans. Take for instance the condominiums being built on the memorial square while ‘remade’ souvenirs are being set up elsewhere are not to benefit the HABS fans. They didn’t not ‘dig up’ the memorial stones out of any respect for history and tradition. They are building over them cause it’s the cheapest way to go.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

I’ve tried to avoid speculating dollars on “PK Gate”, but one value I will speculate on, is the value or cost of a NTC in the contract.

Essentially I feel the key in this potential long term contract is to have it be free of any NTC. Seems to me that MB is being and has been very careful or leery of giving PK a big bucks long term contract. There has been wild speculation here about how he gets along with coaching staff and teammates. I really don’t care to speculate on this behaviour but do feel the one thing MB is going to try avoid is to give out a NTC.

If indeed the Habs and PK come to an agreement of 8.5 per year with PK, I would be fine with adding 1million per season to that contract provided zero NTC is included.

It is the only leverage the team would still have involving PK if indeed they feel that at some point a change on the team is required.

• Steeltown Hab says:

He’s obviously not getting dealt are you kidding? MB doesn’t give a sh*t about a NTC in there or not.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• habstrinifan says:

“Seems to me that MB is being and has been very careful or leery of giving PK a big bucks long term contract. There has been wild speculation here about how he gets along with coaching staff and teammates. “.

“I really don’t care to speculate on this behavior..”

You were VERY SUCCESSFUL in your attempt to avoid speculation. You flat out put forward that a long term contract is a fear of MB because P.K is a difficult teammate and player to coach.

Pass your post by most any reader and ask what the first take away would be.

I could speculate that based on your post you have chosen to believe the ‘wild speculations’… but…

I have my views indeed, nothing wild or crazy just have my views. I will try not to expose them here again.

• habstrinifan says:

It’s not your views, it’s the ‘couched terms’ which says “you know” but “awww-shucks”.. I am not saying anything mind you.

Since I freely and f’ing unapologetically indulge in speculation, I am gonna speculate that you will be doing some espousing in the future… albeit as ‘couched’ as possible.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• bwoar says:

I got the speculation that MB might not want to hand out a no-trade-clause (or a NMC). I got the unspoken “…if it turns out that the rumours are true” (about being a difficult teammate) but as we sit out here in fan-land, doesn’t it seems like what a prudent GM would do?

Is it okay to say that at some point it may be very inconvenient for him to have a say if MB feels its to our advantage to trade him? I think it is okay.

I doubt it ever happens. And I have a suspicion that PK is actually a very good teammate. But GMs hand out way, way too many of those clauses and they are a plague on the league. I agree that an extra 1M AAV, to not give out the NMC, is a good move.

• on2ndthought says:

HiB: do you know the difference between a modified trade clause and a limited trade clause? MB seems to have done a pretty good job in keeping the NTCs to a minimum (capgeek)

“a cannonading drive”

16. Steeltown Hab says:

Ian Cobb re: PK

“He still has a way to go before he can command top dollar”

umm..what? Don’t want to call people out but how can these words be uttered. If anyone can command top dollar it’s him.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Ian Cobb says:

I should explain, top dollar for a player on this team that has yet to win anything but the Fans hearts. Is not like top dollar for the Kings or Black Hawks for example. He might be the best talent on our team, but he still needs seasoning my friend.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• Steeltown Hab says:

If you have to wait to win a cup to get top dollar, barely anyone in this league is getting paid.

Norries, Named to Canadian Olympic team (toughest team to make especially for a dman), Ridiculous playoff and reg season track record, most consistent performer in big game situations. He’s the face of the franchise, first true superstar since Patrick Roy. He deserves it. It’s not even open for debate.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Phil C says:

He was 14th in Norris voting last year, he was the 8th defenceman on team Canada. He wasn’t even the number 1 defencemen on his own team with Markov playing more TOI/game than Subban. Don’t get me wrong, Subban is awesome, but he has not proven he should be the highest paid defensemen in the league, at least not yet, but that is what he is asking for.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Omg are you kidding he’s not #1 on this team…you’re just dillusional

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• joeybarrie says:

I do notice some fans seem to believe players are currently playing at the level of our expectations of them.
            Which is why a lot of players get so much pressure when they do not perform to our own higher expectations.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

He was niot the top d-man on the Habs last year, Steeltown. Markov was, due to PK’s inconsistency. That’s not dillusional (which’ll get you into a pickle) or even delusional. PK is probably going to be great. I hope so. But he’s a work in progress, like any young player. He’ll be one of the 10 best NHL d-men for many years, I hope. He isn’t one yet, consistently.

• Phil C says:

Call him what ever you want, but measured by TOI and shifts per game, Markov gets tapped on the shoulder more often than PK does. PK is the only top defensemen who doesn’t lead his team in TOI. This lends support to Ian’s argument.

• boing007 says:

A little Shake & Bake perhaps?

Richard R

• joeybarrie says:

Based on what?
      He isnt top is playing time.
      He isnt top in points.
      He isnt even the top choice for team Canada.

Dont get me wrong. PK is GREAT. But he isnt top yet, and cannot command top dollar.

17. scuba says:

Well now we have at least an idea of what Subban is after. Asking 8.5 for an RFA deal means he is looking for at least 9 and likely 10 on a long term deal.

Be prepared for a 8 year 75Mil deal tomorrow.

18. Stuck_in_To. says:

Arbitration numbers are pure strategy in a business decision where the negotiation element is taken out of your hands. As noted below, the Eller numbers were similarly skewed.

19. Maritime Ronn says:

If you read between the lines – and use the Eller contract negotiations as an example, you can see where this is going

It appears that the Habs value Subban’s last 2 RFA years in the $6.5M-$7M range
    A $7M Cap hit next year would rank Subban 5th for all NHL Dmen tied with Doughty.

The big question is how do the Habs value Subban for the following 3-4-5 years after those 2 RFA years?
    Is it $8M AAV plus or minus a few hundred K?

Some danger here as this is not only a Subban contract, but an NHLPA contract in setting benchmarks and standards.
    Pressure will be coming from everywhere….

20. mrhabby says:

its just posturing. Subban will sign long term. All teams lock down there superstars.

21. on2ndthought says:

As far as PK is concerned: The Norris trophy may have been an aberration, or may be just the first of many. His +/- may not be the best. He may be taking ‘too many’ risks at both ends of the ice.

All I know is that he spear-headed our come from behind series win against Boston. He didn’t win it alone. He didn’t lead alone (Markov’s hit on Lucic in game 6 was a great rallying point in the series) but he was THE leader. When it is no longer about coaching or skill, but about heart; he showed he belonged with the Lions in Winter!

To sign him for 8 years is probably going to cost us $ 7.5 to 8 M average. I’d like to see it done

on a lighter note:

“a cannonading drive”

22. veryhabby says:

MTL’S OFFER IS NOT LOW BALLING. Understand they aren’t asking him to take a 8 yr contract with a cap hit of $5.25. They are saying that for this upcoming season, RFA PK salary should be over $5M. That is 100% fair. And whenever they do sign their long term contract we will see that the first year’s salary will be in the $5M range with increases every year after that.

If anything PK’s camp is a tad silly in asking for $8.5M for next season. But I guess they are saying they feel PK’s first year should start a lot higher then in the $5M range. That, I personally don’t agree with.

Still not worried. This will get done.

23. CHicoHab says:

Edit- $5,225,000 more.

24. Loop_Garoo says:

Not the highest paid, but the highest cap hit. Don’t think there is any doubt he will get that.

25. CHicoHab says:

5.25 mill for a 25 year old not too shabby. Exactly 5 mill more than I was making when I was 25.

26. Maritime Ronn says:

According to Ken Campbell of The Hockey News, the Canadiens submitted an offer of $5.25 million on a one-year contract, while Subban’s camp is asking for $8.5 million

27. adage2000 says:

From my modest crystal ball: Subban will sign a 6-year deal worth 53 to 55 millions.
    Years 1 and 2: average 7.5 million per year
    Years 3 to 6: average 9.5 to 10 million per year

28. 123456 says:

What a great story for an unfortunate situation. I can just imagine how the family felt – for those of us with kids and the unfortunate experience of seeing them very ill there really are no words to can deliver the thankfulness when people step up and do extraordinary things.

Ian, Rob, Alayne and any others who have touched someone’s life in a positive way I can not thank you enough.

29. habstrinifan says:

P.K asked for 8.5 HABS offered 5.25!

Both good starting points.

So those saying P.K was asking for exhorbitant is wrong!

8.5 starting is not bad in my opinion.

Cant see a deal not being reached for about 7 to 7.5.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• shiram says:

Keep in mind those would be for RFA years.
      Like Eller asking for 3.1 and getting 3.5 AAV.
      If Subban’s deal dips into his UFA year, expect a higher cap hit.

• twocents says:

Exactly. Those who see this as a sign of reasonable demands on P.K.’s part are mistaken. He is likely asking in the 10 mill. range for a long deal including many UFA years.

• Ian Cobb says:

Doubt if anymore than 6. I am on record! And I know everything.! Right!

• Mustang says:

Please don’t get me wrong, I really like P.K. and if I was in his position, I would be trying to get everything I could. Having said that, the salaries in pro sports are simply getting more and more rediculous each year. I know it is supply and demand and these guys have short careers but when you come right down to it, what do they really add to society except a diversion for a short period of time. It is getting very difficult to follow pro sports knowing just how much these players get.

I will get off of my soapbox now.

• Cal says:

We really have to separate ourselves from it. ALL pro athletes in the top 4 North American leagues make obscene money and in no way do they deserve it. However, if we’re stupid enough to watch and be fans, they are equally stupid enough to charge us through the nose for it.

30. shiram says:

Marchand hates Pleky.

Heh another reason to like Pleky, as far as I’m concerned.

31. shiram says:

Ken Campbell ‏@THNKenCampbell

P.K. Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration and the Canadiens are seeking $5.25 million on a one-year deal.

Let the wild speculation begin.

32. JohnBellyful says:

A considerable amount of emotional and intellectual capital has been invested by the fans of the Montreal Canadiens in the outcome of the contractual contretemps that currently exists between the team and PK Subban. Reaction to the ultimate resolution could range from bitter dejection to unbridled joy.
    Either response is not good to the long-term emotional well-being of diehard Hab fans. The first extreme is likely to fatally poison the fealty many pledge to the franchise while it’s probable the second will give way to anguished disappointment, when expectations of a Stanley Cup are not met, despite having one of the game’s most dynamic players in the flannel’s fold for an extended period.
    We must steel ourselves for whatever fate delivers, possibly with an arbitrator serving as the midwife.
    If we look at the various postulates that have been forward by the ill- and well-informed, vis-a-vis the salary Subban will receive, the average, or Meehan, is $8 million annually over six or more years.
    More certain is the fact that that a good many of us will be wrong.
    Now this is not a new experience for me so I have grown inured to the mental upheaval it can cause but for those who will experience this feeling for the first time, here’s a little bit of advice on how to handle the various scenarios that present themselves with equanimity, even aplomb.

To go any further on this stage risks getting a reply of TL;DR from posters, which my sensitive nature could not abide. I’d rather cut short my presentation and let those few souls interested in reading further to visit http://johnbellyful.weebly.com/
    I can’t promise you will profit by the experience — I certainly don’t stand to gain any lucre, filthy or otherwise — but it will prove to be a diversion (as is the case with any link, seeing as it sends you in another direction).

• Ian Cobb says:

John, great article,
      but I needed my WEBSTER with me when reading it my friend. Thanks for enhancing my vocabulary.

Some great articles of yours on the link that you put up.

• JohnBellyful says:

Thanks, Ian, but it’s you who deserves all the accolades.
        As I’ve said in person and say again now, what you do to bring the HIO community together is tremendous, and your recent generous act adds to your reputation as an ordinary person who’s truly exceptional.
        Very inspirational.
        Looking forward to the Summit as always, and to John and Alex, whose presence there you have made possible. Congratulations to you and the other HIO posters who responded to their plea for support and kind thoughts.

• Cal says:

Gold again, Mr. Bellyful. Wherever do you mine this from? :)

• JohnBellyful says:

It’s all fool’s gold, Cal, not worth very much in the long run.
        I pyrite the stuff from other sources (eg, Dummies.com) for the background material.

• Habfun says:

After reading your article and having to use my imagination (or dictionary) to decipher some of the words in your blog (and reading 3 or 4 previous ones). I have this urge to call you Mr. Bellyful!
      Very well written and very interesting.
      I feel a little more relaxed now!

Thanks John

It’s all about the CH

Don’t get me wrong, I love PK and I know him personally. But check out his plus-minus, it is terrible, his poor timing in taking penalties and his percent of give away’s is atrocious. He still has a way to go before he can command top dollar. PK can win a game by himself or lose a game by himself. Most exciting player to hit Hab’s ice in many decades, but he needs more seasoning for two more years.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• Cal says:

I agree with you on PK’s performance- especially win you or lose you a game. However, his agent knows what a special talent he has. Meehan will not be short-changed.

• Loop_Garoo says:

In my never humble opinion, you are correct in your analysis of PK, however, unlike most of our jobs and careers, in hockey you do get paid for potential, and those 2 more years of seasoning that he needs in the time during which the habs will be paying for that potential.

• tophab says:

ian pk played with gorges the worst dman that anybody could play with, so lets not talk about his plus minius.

• Luke says:

Gorges was not worse than Doug Murray, Frankie Boo and, at times, Al Emelin.

I’m no Gorges fan, but c’mon… the worst anybody could play with?

• Cal says:

Geez, I thought I was the worst Dman anyone could play with.
          At least that’s what my old beer league guys would tell me. Over and over again.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Gorges is a solid NHL d-man. Get real. PK’s stats are on PK.
        We shouldn’t make an ideal and not respect the wonderful reality.
        Here, PK is good. He has potential.
        There, Ian is right, as usual. He is a wonderful player who still makes ill-judged plays too often. His plus minus and the giveaways are there for all to see.
        Those of us who remember the young Chelios will see a similar pattern. The penalties, the zoneouts, and the talent.
        Where else do you learn your trade, and learn to work with others while hundreds of thousands judge your every gaffe? And where else does a skilled guy with a lack of experience and a tendency to screw up from that think he gets top wages for the trade? It’s a crazy world.
        Maybe he will grow out of that, but he isn’t 21 anymore. The next two years are key to his development (IMHO) because he has yet to string together a consistent use of his talent. It is always there, but he still gets a little carried away too often, and sabotages his own game. That game is part of a larger whole, and that is a problem.

Right now, I imagine a staredown. PK, carried away by his confidence and agent, wants 9 mill. Bergevin knows he’s worth 6.5 mill to the team now, and could be worth 7.5 in the future. Stare. Stare. Smile. Stare. Call you later.
        I’d like to see 7.5 max now, to pay for the potential. For those calling for PK to be captain, it would help if the guy would get on the ship.

34. Marc10 says:

I think it was Norman that voiced our collective worry on the Franco side with TVA and its coverage of the Habs.

Well in this piece, they refer to that punk Shawn Thornton as ‘Shane Thornton’…

I know it’s summer filler by some barely paid intern who is just glad to meet P Bergeron, but still… ‘Shane?’

We’ll let this one go… But only because it’s Da Bruins. You’re on notice TVA.

I am very sure that Geoff Molson will not condone anything over 7million for PK’s hockey service’s.
    As a matter of fact I think PK will get closer to 6 million for two years.
    Both Molson and Bergevin know about the Canadian dollar situation as well as knowing the value of a dollar. Unlike other stupid owners and GM’s around the league, that have eliminated themselves from contending for a cup by not spreading the wealth throughout the whole roster. I know who will blink first on this negotiation. Guaranteed my friends!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• marlboro says:

Hi Ian,
      I have to disagree. I don’t see any chance of P.K getting less then 7.

MB and his team have so far proven to be an excellent manager of the cap. There is the 8-10 million available (with a few million to spare), and PK will get it. The reason the Canadiens haven’t been in a situation where we had to pay top Money is because we haven’t had a game changing player of PK’s caliber in over 30 years. 20/20 hindsight, MB’s mistake was not getting a 5, or 6 year 30-36 million $ deal done instead of the bridge. Carey, and Max’s deals, and even IMO, Eller’s are exactly why we will be in good shape cap wise for a while. Anyways, the missed their chance of signing PK to a cap friendly contract. Management told him to prove himself over the 2 years. He’s done his job to the tune of a major, major raise. Time to bite the bullet and pay up.

• Cal says:

I think PK is going to be paid every bit of $8mil + per season. If he goes to arbitration, he will get about $8 mil and he will realize that Habs management are behaving like skinflints. Aside from Price, PK is the Habs superstar. Superstars get paid the big bucks and all the endorsements. It’s time for Habs management to realize this or lose their best players in acrimonious fashion.

• Ian Cobb says:

We will know on Friday my friend. He is going nowhere else but the Bell Center for years to come, but he is not getting a back breaking contract yet my friend. And besides, once Geoff builds his war chest, I will be collecting my IOU first!

• Loop_Garoo says:

I think 7 mill. is probably the low ball offer MB goes to arbitration with. Meehan will put in for 10, and I cannot imagine any way that PK does not walk away with the highest cap hit in the league for a d man.

36. DipsyDoodler says:

Would you trade PK to the leafs for their next 20 first round picks?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Maritime Ronn says:

No, but I would seriously consider a Shea Weber trade, but Preds GM Poile would have to fall on his head and lose his mind to do that deal

• Dust says:

If the habs got offered weber for Subban i think i would do that deal

• DipsyDoodler says:

Really Shea Weber shouldn’t have signed that offer sheet. That’s why he’s stuck on a team that will never compete for the cup.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Weber isn’t really stuck
          Interesting that Weber does NOT have a NMC or NTC, so he can be traded at any time/anywhere with no consent needed, or no partial trade list to be dealt with

It was a no lose for Weber
          The contract guaranteed him $110M – $104M of that to be collected in 10 years between 2012-22.

He may have also thought at that time that Nashville would not match because of their financial situation and how the contract was so front loaded.

• Cal says:

Weber got greedy and I can’t say I blame him. If some idiot offered me this insanely front loaded contract, I’d sign it, too.
            I dislike the contract immensely. On a stupid scale for management side, it’s off the charts. The $7.857mil cap hit is completely and utterly fabricated. Weber will not be playing 2023/26 2 $1mil per season. He will be retired, having earned $143 mil. Just for fun, I am dividing that total by the 16 seasons I will expect him to play- the “hit” is $8.9375 mil over his entire career.
            No sane GM touches his ludicrous contract.

Didn’t Weber also get full money during the lockout as a result of the contract?

• Maritime Ronn says:

burli
            I may be wrong but I believe he received his $13M bonus

• Loop_Garoo says:

It is very possible that he likes living and playing there. It is a pretty cool city, and if you live on the outskirts of town especially, your money goes a long long way.

• Cal says:

Name calling? Seriously, are we at recess in elementary school?

• Dust says:

????? why is that? because he has an opinion different than yours

• GrosBill says:

Classy…

• Steeltown Hab says:

MTL wouldn’t trade Subban for Weber

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

37. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! Hard to believe but PK is taking a back seat today to our friend Alex. Wonderful words from his Dad last night in appreciation of some real HIO love.

Great job by HiS yesterday on CBC radio. HIO is well represented there as well.

I think I’ll just head out for a quiet bike ride this morning warmed by the kind hearts of HIO and the bravery and spirit of Alex and his family. PK can wait.

CHeers.

38. Dust says:

If PK goes to arbitration it is not the end of the world. The habs will choose to make the term 1 year. Subban will still be an RFA next summer. That will give them another year to work out a long term deal.
    This is a business, players and teams understand that. Do you hear Shea bitching in nashville? He went to arbitration, signed a one year deal. The following summer in his last year as a rfa he signed an offer sheet with philly that nashville matched. There doesn’t seem to be any ill will between the player and team.

• DipsyDoodler says:

If a Predator makes a sound does anyone hear it?

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Maritime Ronn says:

That’s one way to look at it, yet there are several other possibilities.
      The Arbitration game is a very dangerous game.

Your Weber scenario is one.
      Here’s a different scenario:
      PK goes to arbitration and plays for the Habs next season, and this same scenario happens again next summer.

PK refuses to sign any Offer Sheet/long term contract, and declares he will go to Arbitration again – play out the year, then become a UFA with several bidders willing to throw 7 years/$70M+ at him.

Habs hands are tied…How do you keep a guy who wants out?
      How do you trade a guy with a 1 year contract that will become a UFA and can choose wherever he wants to play?
      Negotiate with another team in a sign and trade?
      And if PK doesn’t want to sign?

• Dust says:

i would believe that if this goes to arbitration this year and the habs don’t think that Subban wants to sign long term(or the habs dont want to sign him long term for the money) than they will trade him this year. You would get a ton for PK if you traded him

• Maritime Ronn says:

Agreed
          Habs would almost have no choice in your scenario.
          Always wondered what his trade value would be?

• Dust says:

my geuss would be an nhl roster forward and defenceman and a top notch prospect and a 1st.
            I would imagine the habs would lose in the deal as PK would be the best player involved in the trade.
            Long term it may even out if the prospect and 1st round pick develop into anything.
            But that’s just a geuss.

39. plum says:

The Hockey News writers just ranked Calgary’s flaming C logo as #19 on their NHL logo countdown. Personally, I would rank Calgary’s logo in the top 10.

Man, the comments section over there is almost as bad as tsn. Trying to read through and find any sensible comments is an exercise in futility.

• DipsyDoodler says:

The logo is alright, but they might have come up with something else. The team was called the flames because they came from Atlanta. Something to do with Gone With the Wind right?

—–
      Moving. Forward.

40. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning.

Procedure – PK Subban arbitration.
    The next 48 hours could be very interesting depending on leaks – and they can come from multiple and different sources.

1) According to Article 12.9 of the CBA, both the Habs and the Meehan/ Subban group must submit their Salary offers/requests no later than 48 hours before the scheduled Arbitration meeting.
    Within 10 minutes of the submissions to the Arbitrator, they must email each other of what was sent to the Arbitrator.

Most likely the meeting is at 9:00 AM Friday, meaning all the detailed paperwork must be in by 9:00 AM today.

2) Because this was a Player Elected arbitration, it will be for the Habs to decide whether the term is for 1 or 2 years.
    This info is part of the document exchange.

Both the Habs and Meehan group have been tight lipped so far, yet because multiple Parties are involved, the probability of leaked details increases. (see Eller)
    Not saying this will happen, yet several agents/GMs in the past have used the media if and when they were unhappy with a player contract situation….

While both sides will claim it’s strictly business, sometimes human nature shows up in the form of ego, pride, and respect.
    No good will come if details are leaked, and you can almost bet GMMB’s offer will not be higher than $7M, while Meehan’s request will not be lower than $8M – $8.5M.

Take the following however you wish.
    No source was cited, and here’s hoping he is wrong.
    ” “Negotiations between the Canadiens and Subban did not go very well,” Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports said Tuesday. “Is it possible that Subban should go to arbitration? I think so.”

41. Captain aHab says:

Habitant in Surrey/Chris,

Have you done anything on twitter yet? Might want to take a look at the articles originally published about the Rogers deal and hit the same reporters who published them with some info.

This one for instance talks about how great coverage will be:

link

For NHL Centre Ice, you could try calling it the HST, or the Habs Spectator Tax.

You come across real well in the interview by the way.

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

42. habsgod says:

HERE’S A LITTLE SOMETHING FOR ALL OF MY HIO FAMILY ! I SAID THANK-YOU TO EVERYONE ON HERE BUT INCASE I MISSED ANYONE I’M SORRY THIS WILL SAY IT ALL!

43. southaltahab says:

Glad to see Alex is doing well. He must be a tough little guy and is smart as well as he’s a Hab fan. Hope he continues to improve.

44. WindsorHab-10 says:

Get well soon Alex. Habs nation is pulling for you.

45. habsgod says:

hi everyone today was an amazing day i was so surprised by all of this i got a call today from stu cowan from the gazette ,he’s been folLowing alex’s story and wants to do a story on him! i didn’t know about all the posts on here and all the love and support alex and i had been recieving UNTIL STU TOLD ME,THEN ROB TOLD ME AND IAN TOLD ME I CRIED WHEN I TALKED TO ALL OF THESE GUYS AS I WAS JUST SO GRATEFUL FOR THIS!! guys thank-you so very much ! i told stu cowan that the montreal canadiens and their fans are the classiest and best in all of sports ,and this just proves it! i spoke to ian cobb today as well he’s an amazing man he;s as great on the phone as he is on this site! i really,really enjoyed talking to ian i told ian that we are life long friends ,same with rob and alyne ,as well as timo ,…when i heard that all of you guys were going to help alex and i get to the summit i was over come with emition i cried i can’t believe the generosity of all of this from you amazing guys ian your a 1st class guy! i loved your story about how you became successful i couldv’e talked to you for an hour! i told alex about what you guys were going to do …via phone of course and he’s bound and determined to go he said dad i want to go to the canadiens game he was so happy and excited as i am! lol it will be our 1st trip to montreal…but as ian said and he’s so right we have to make sure alex is 100% and cleared by the doctor before we can travel …but if he isn’t this year we will definately be going next year and i can’t wait to see all of you and give each and everyone of you amaxing guys a hug and tghank each and everyone one of you amazing guys on here……ian,rob,timo,chris van dyke sorry for using your real name, you guys are an inspiration to this! ian as you can tell i`m very very passionate about our team! guys i`m in tears as i`m writing this i can`t say thank you enough to all of the amazing friends and habs fan i have made on here! i told my wife today she typed in hockeyinsideout .com and she read all of the amazing things you guys said about alex too! she wants to tahnk each and everyone of you guys too from the bottom of her heart! she said as soon as she and alex gets home she`s going to make an account and thank everyone here personally!
    ps alex wore his habs jersey today and loved it and was very excited about wearing his sainte fanelle (as i explained to him that) that meant the holy cloth ……… he also recieved a montreal canadiens watch today from my aunt and uncle he`s so overwhelmed ,as i am for the love you guys have shown us!
    THANK-YOU SO VERY MUCH GUYS I LOVE YOU ALL! I`LL NEVER EVER FORGET HOW AMAZING YOU ALL ARE AND WHAT YOU`VE DONE FOR MY BOY!
    HABSGOD(JOHN)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Great to hear he is pulling through John. He had Us worried for awhile.

God’s Blessings to Alex and Your Family.

• Natrous says:

So glad to hear that your son is doing better and that this community has come together to support your family – this is an amazing story all around.

Ian Cobb has long set the standard for class on this site and it is heartening to see it carried forward from others who subscribe to these values as well.

As fun as everyone is to read and chat with, this group has elevated itself to another level – way to go!!

• habsgod says:

thank-you natrous your right ian cobb has set the standard for class
        everyone on hear is just classy as and i couldn’t be prouder to be part of an amazing site hio (i told ian this is the first site i visit) and to be part of an amazing family the hio family i promised ian that when this is all said and done and alex is home and recovered i will post more and talk with all of the family on here about our habs! and i will have alex make an account so he can learn from the best and the most classiest fans in all of sports you guys!plus i know alex will learn about the team! and the players! from the best fans on the planet hio fans!
        ian liked the story i told him about alex and halloween and how a guy got told by a ten year old(a leafs fans)haha that is my first laugh in awhile

46. Habitant in Surrey says:

Just in case the link to My interview on CBC Radio AirPlay re the #RogersPetition is difficult to link to, the above is a more direct link

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds