Best guys lead fantasy win

DesharnaisCelebrates

Suffering Canadiens withdrawal? The Gazette has the answer with the ultimate fantasy experience as beat writer Pat Hickey and Gazette techie Eric Tobon employ EA Sports NHL 13 to produce The Season That Isn’t. Here’s how things might have looked in Saturday night’s game between the Canadiens and the Anaheim Ducks at the Bell Centre.

PAT HICKEY

The Gazette

Good things happen when your best players are your best players.

The Canadiens proved that Saturday night as they defeated the Anaheim Ducks 3-1 at the Bell Centre.

Montreal’s top line of Max Pacioretty, David Desharnais and Erik Cole provided all of the offence while goaltender Carey Price shut out the Ducks until Ryan Getzlaff scored late in the third period.

The win gave the Canadiens six consecutive wins and their 6-2 record is second only to the Vancouver Canucks, who are off to a 7-1 start.

Desharnais scored the first of his two goals at 10:48 of the first period when he lifted the puck over Jonas Hiller after the Anaheim goaltender went down to block a shot by Erik Cole. Hiller lunged for the loose puck but Desharnais was too quick.

“I was afraid that I might hit him in the head as he dove but I was up to flick the puck and it went just below the crossbar,” said Desharnais.

The diminutive centre picked up an assist when Pacioretty scored his fifth goal of the season at 1:05 of the second period. Pacioretty deflected Andrei Markov’s slapshot from the point.

Desharnais made it 3-0 at 4:43 of the second period when he combined with Pacioretty and Cole on a 3-on-2 break. Pacioretty took a hit from Sheldon Souray as he stormed into the Ducks zone but he managed to puck the puck to Desharnais. Pacioretty was shaken up on the play but only missed one shift.

“It was a stinger,” said Pacioretty. “I’ll probably be sore tomorrow but it’s nothing serious.”

Price made 35 saves as the Ducks outshot the Canadienc 36-31.

Brandon Prust was in a short fight with Nate Guenin in the third period. Prust tagged the journeyman with a left hand which took all the fight out of him.

The game probably marked the last Montreal performance for former Canadiens captain Saku Koivu.

“We only come here every two years and I think this is probably my last year,” said Koivu. “There aren’t too many guys who were here when I left but it’s always nice to come back to Montreal . I have a lot of great memories from my time here.”

1. Habitant in Surrey says:

…oh, by the way, seems I was wrong about the lock-out being resolved before the beginning of November
    …sorry about that Ian
    …I thought neither side to be so stupid enough to kill a Golden Goose
    …seems I underestimated their inestimable stupidity :(
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton until this f*&$T^g lock-out is over !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the Brooklyn Hipsters ? …mmmm, I LIKE it !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

3. Habitant in Surrey says:

…in all seriousness, if Hickey has nothing better to write about in Montreal, why doesn’t Cowan and The Gazette send His butt to Hamilton to cover the Bulldogs in Hamilton ?

…rent Him some digs in Hamilton, Stu, until the lock-out is over …for Gawd’s sake ! :(

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

…well, I haven’t visited HIO for days because of this embarrassing schlock in it lately like Hickey’s Fantasies (Gawd !, I wish Hick was into sexual-fantasy, at least I would be ‘curious’ to read about His fetishes :( )

…I slept like a baby last night, and I get awakened by a hysterical message from My Daughter, who lives by the Hudson River in Connecticut, was leaving on My phone’s message-box …telling Me she and Her husband are placing sand-bags around Their home anticipating to be hit by Hurricane Sandy

…then, I get-up and go online to learn a 7.5 earthquake hit off the coast of BC (of which I am a ‘hop, skip and …a jump’ from it’s edge :) ), which included stories of tsunami warnings from Vancouver Island, Haida Gwai to Hawaii

…I told Wendy, if She sees Bettman’s body floating out to sea on the Hudson, next to Jimmy Hoffa’s, don’t throw him a rope !!!

…man, I have to stop this sleep nonsense, I miss ALL the fun !

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

Spendin’ the Crowds

Both sides are rich
    They’re two of a pair
    One side all standing their ground,
    The other don’t care.
    Just screwing the crowds.

Ignorant bliss
    The fans don’t approve
    One side keeps skating around,
    The other wont move
    Where are the crowds?
    There are no crowds

The league wont stop locking their doors,
    Annually screwing the ones who just want to see scores,
    Acting with contempt once again and an arrogant air,
    There’s no more spines,
    No heart beat is there.

The league is a farce
    Bettman and Fehr
    They thought that we’d want what they want
    So just buy more beer
    But where are the crowds?
    Quick, don’t lose the crowds
    Don’t bother, they’re scared

Life is a bitch
    This much is clear
    They’re wasting their time it’s too late
    No one will cheer
    And where are the crowds?
    There ought to be crowds
    Well, maybe next year.

6. HabFab says:

Did the NHL underestimate the Fehr factor? An interesting read with video from Flyers Sports no less…
    IMO the NHL has been more hard a$$ in their approach to send messages to Fehr and the NHLPA…bring it on baby. This is the reason for my pessimism in regards to this season seeing hockey. God, hope I’m wrong!

• Ron says:

Do you feel its more in line that the NHL ( team owners ) are out to displace Fehr or bring him down a notch seeing how he handled his last job more so than the players ?

• HabFab says:

I believe the NHLPA hired Fehr to win, and why not? However, the owners are now facing a serious adversary and of course came to negotiations even more motivated. Unfortunately with this mind set from both sides, there is not much room for compromise. And we all lose while they fight it out. A point in example, is both sides refusing to negotiate on proposals from the other side. Some major egos involved here…

• Ron says:

If the season gets trashed then to me it would be like getting kicked in the lingam and have to take a long sit out to recuperate. Being retired I have in past years been able to take in alot of tube hockey no matter the time zones. Going to miss it.

• HabFab says:

Just read the Ken Dryden piece below and he seems to think along the same lines as I do…”chest puffed out” ;)

• Ron says:

Exactly, how far do both sides push to say they won. Hard to get through a brick wall once the motar cures.

7. mark-ID says:

Gameday. Yeehaw

8. jedimyrmidon says:

So Sebastian Collberg has been loaned to a team in the Allsvenskan league, no longer playing as the 13th forward, and he’s scoring goals. Good for him and his development.

Hey Ben, the weather has put a crimp in our plans. Jim and Chris already left and L Elle and Poutine are just on their way home. I am not sure if I am heading to Brampton myself. Sorry bud, was great to meet you Friday.

10. commandant says:

For today’s game, how about we set up a place to meet before the game and then go to our seats?

How about on the concourse around section 9 (in honour of the rocket)

I know 9 isnt the best seats but we can move from there and it gives us a place to meet

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

11. Habs64 says:

NBA Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver will succeed Commissioner David Stern.

Any chance Bettman now wants to take over for David Stern in the sport he actually may care about, basketball? Maybe he will now quickly make a deal in NHL in order to get back to NBA.

13. Habfan10912 says:

Really looking forward to seeing Gally play today with what remains of the mini summit group. Last night I recalled that it was the night of the actual Summit game at the Bell Centre. Although the mini summit was a blast despite not winning our 900 million as L had promised, it would have been even better if we were in Montreal. Next year?
    One thing for sure, L. Burly. JohnBellyfull, Commandant, Chuck, Hammer and Kooch are as classy and nice in person as they are on line.
    Looking forward to the ride back through the Hurricane tomorrow. ( Insert sarcasm icon). CHeers.

14. Cal says:

So much for the KHL being a viable alternative.

15. Cal says:

Sunday already? Have more fun, Mini-Summiteers!

Another classic trashed! See the wreckage at

Here is the pregame report from the Brampton Battalion website.

Not sure if this was posted earlier on weekend, but Ken Dryden with a message to both sides in the current dispute.

18. HammerHab says:

What a weekend so far. Bulldogs game was a good one and as some mentioned with better goaltending perhaps a different outcome. Someone had mentioned on another thread Beaulieu played poorly. I don’t know what game you were watching but he was solid. He’s probably the best passer on the team, half the guys couldn’t handle his passes they were so crisp. Made one offensive mistake where he kinda fanned on a pass but got back quickly and we were none the worse for wear. Defensively he’s not Lidstrom but he’s better than Subban was at his age. Gallagher had a great game, as did Holland I thought. Qualier’s bigger than I thought. Great to meet you guys who were there, luckily you didn’t have to endure the Marlies “fan” behind me, who kept calling D’Amigo “Diego” and yelled out “Set it up Acton!” when Gardiner had the puck and Acton was on the bench.

Then I head over to Ivor Wynne for the last game there….got absolutely soaked but hung in there the whole game and stayed for the post-game celebrations which was pretty cool.

A memorable weekend for sure. Cheers to you fine folks for setting up the mini-summit!

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

19. Klondike Habs Fan says:

I love the fantasy Habs. This is a cure for no real hockey. Especially a solid win. And oh the sight of Koivu waving to the Habs faithful, from center ice.

But…

We are all beating around the bush here… I need to know… How will this lockout affect Boones retirement? If the season is gone then- have we read the last ALN? Will Boone extend his post retirement live blog contract? Will he hold out for 50 50 split?

We need to know.

20. Boomer says:

A SWEET shootout move happened tonight by my favorite player in this years draft… Mr. Aleksander Barkov.

• jols101 says:

Sick move. I love the golden bucket the Teams leading scorer gets to wear.

I’d love to get this kid too. Can Hab fans handle Tank 2.0 ?

• Boomer says:

It’s really impressive to me how a kid is the leading scorer on a team of men. Still early in the season, but he’s looking good.

• jols101 says:

Ya Barkov has 18 pts but long time ex NHLer Ville Niemenin is creeping up on him with 16 pts. Barkov may have to pass the golden helmet to Niemenin soon but the funny part is he is over twice Barkovs age. Barkov is 17 and Niemenin is 35.

I think when everything is said and done Barkov will be in the mix with MacKinnon and Seth Jones for the top 3 picks. Would love to have any of them put on the CH…

21. jols101 says:

Tim Bozon adds another goal and 2 assists to his totals. 15 games, 14 goals, 13 assists for 27 points.

Yes he is playing on a stacked team and a stacked line but this is amazing for a kid Timmins got in the 4th round. Hope he keeps it going. Good size too, 6 “1, 195 lbs.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I think he was taken in the 3rd round.

And although he’s playing with the two leading scorers, I don’t think just anyone would be able to keep up with them. Seems like he’s able to finish plays, i.e., score goals.

22. sreuel says:

If all that is stopping a season of games is paying the players there contracts that they deserve. Then most of the owners are to blame for the length. Why did they offer 10 to 12 years at a lot of money.

• B says:

The last offer made by the league included playing all 82 games and paying all the players all of their current contracts. There was some deferral involved but each current contract was to be paid in full (or “made whole”). The players rejected that offer.

23. habspattinos says:

Would you rather here that over what plekanecs is doing overseas or beaulieu in the A, maybe galchenyuk in the O. I have no problem if people enjoy the fantasy season. I just hope theres more news and info on this site about the real world and what is happening with our boys. Am i alone?

• ProHabs says:

I am not sure if you are alone or not but this EA season is all I think about.

I stay up at night just Googling it trying to find out as much information about it as I can. To me, it is the best hockey league in the world right now.

If any other posters could direct me to some links about the EA league, I would really appreciate it.

24. sreuel says:

What we r gong to here each game on EA Sports. Need a life write about real sports isn’t this your job as sports writers.

25. habspattinos says:

Hey im a new poster. Not trying to put down the writers here but does anybody else feel like their time would be better served focusing on prospects and our players overseas than this silly fantasy maid up season. I want you guys to keep working, and ill keep reading if you keep me posted on my current habs, especially bulldogs news.

• ProHabs says:

Not me. I wish they would devote more time to the fantasy season.

-Which goalie has the lowest GAA?
      -What are the trade rumour going around?
      -When are the practices as I would like to attend one?
      -How is Bettman being received by the fans when he attends
      the EA games?
      -How is Red Fisher enjoying the play of these EA Habs?
      -Any chance the games will soon be on TV?
      -Will my Hockey News magazine start writing articles about the league?
      -What is going on in the EA KHL league?
      -Any chance of there being the start of an EA HabsInsideOut with contribution from EA Timo, EA Commandant, EA HardHabits et all?

Just a couple of the questions that I would love to have answered regarding the EA season. It might be time for the Gazette to assign more writers to this league, not less.

26. ProHabs says:

Very surprised at the number of posters that are not into this fantasy EA Habs season.

Six wins in a row. Unreal. Always liked Souray (one of my favorite Habs of all time) but that hit on MaxPac was one I didn’t like. Glad to see MaxPac is OK.

Love the signing of Brandon Prust. He is keeping the other teams honest. Desharnais is playing like he is 5ft9 now instead of 5ft7 with Prust in the lineup.

Pat Hickey is doing some of his best reporting in years with this EA season. I just wish he had mentioned in his article when the Habs next game is. I am hoping to invite a bunch of friends over to take in the game.

If everyone jumps on board with this EA Habs, buy some tickets to the EA games and some EA memorabilia, it could put a TON of pressure on the NHL to come to an agreement. Lets go folks, lets get behind these EA Habs.

27. scuba says:

Just back from another Mooseheads game and these guys are as entertaining as it gets. Drouin had a hat trick to pick up 7 points in his first two games back after a shoulder injury. He has been in my oppinion better than MacKinnon in every game he has played so far. That is in no way a knock on Nathan as he has 18 goals in 14 games, but Drouin is that good. He is looking like a top three pick right now.

Everyone should tune in on Nov 9th when the Moose are on Sportsnet or the Subway series as these two are pure magic together. Who needs the NHL when you have season tickets for the Mooseheads!

Well one game out of the way, one fruitless trip to casino out of the way, and now we await Galchenyuk tomorrow afternoon.

The Summiteers are still going strong, (okay so most of us hitting the hay early) but the party continues.

Enjoyable game to watch Friday, with some better goaltending and perhaps a few point shots on the target and perhaps the result is better.

The Dogs competed hard for a young roster.

Glad to hear Markov is fine. Hopefully we get hockey yet and he can remind many of what a player he was and still can be.

JB, perhaps the rest of us could get that 20dollar bill you offered, seem to be a bit short now. :)

• jols101 says:

Are you going to the game in Brampton tomorrow afternoon? I wish I lived in the GTA sometimes. Sarnia only comes to Ottawa once and it is not till February I believe. I would love to be able to see Galchenyuk on a regular basis; you are a lucky guy.

Tonight Sarnia won 5-2 against Eerie. Gally was kept off the score sheet, maybe he will have a spur in his bonnet and light it up for you tomorrow afternoon….

Yah we are going to catch the game in Brampton tomorrow should be a treat. Habfan10912, Chrisadiens, L Elle and her friend and myself hope to meet up with Commandant again tomorrow to watch.

We too hope he lights it up, should be exciting.

• JohnBellyful says:

You got smurfed, didja?
      Sorry to hear WE didn’t win (see other thread; I did my best not to reveal who among HIO posters had succumbed to gambling fever and here you go and tell the world).
      As for the 20 dollars, well, I’ll make sure I have it in hand at the next summit to buy the Gator Teds Fellowship Society a round. (Remember, things go better with Pepsi.)
      Postscript to your game report post: getting to meet Antoine Corbin in person after the game. Nice fellow, very obliging in answering our questions (although, to be honest, Burl’, I thought you crossed the line when you asked if you could borrow 20 bucks).

Corbin really was a nice young man and handled himself well, good kid. Was great to have your presence at the game and at brekkie this morning. Trust you enjoyed the Ticat result today, my Bombers were very accommodating I thought.

29. Mark C says:

Everyone’s favorite prospect to write off, Danny Kristo has now assisted on of 4 of his teams 5 goals since his return to the lineup.

30. Propwash says:

Stopping into HIO to say hi from Port Saint Lucie Florida, where i am spending 2 weeks vacation at my parents place with my wife and son. We’re planning on going to Disney World for a day, maybe play some golf, do a bit of fishing, shoot some guns at a range, and basically unwind.

Hopefully there will be some progress in the negotiations between owners and players, and a semi season will commence in the near future. Cheers everyone!!

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

31. Boomer says:

No Hockey makes me sad, but this makes me happy. :)

I especially love the EPIC rant before the jump.
    Cheers

32. JF says:

Saturday night? Even in fantasy, this game hasn’t happened yet!

33. zaq007 says:

Even hearing fake Saku comments makes me miss him… :( i want him back!

34. HabFab says:

So what are the player stats so far in fantasia hockey?

He who is first shall be last…