Bergevin keeps busy during lockout

GMweb

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said he’s keeping busy while waiting for the NHL lockout to end.

“The lockout is out of my control and I’m just keeping busy until it’s settled,”   Bergevin told the media Wednesday night before the Hamilton Bulldogs completed the Quebec portion of their training camp with an intrasquad game at the Palais des Sports Leopold Drolet in Sherbrooke.

Bergevin said he was getting his first look at some of the Canasdiens’ prospects and while it was too early to single out any players, he has been impressed by the intensity at the camp.

Bergevin said he has been checking out some of the talent in Quebec in preparation for next year’s draft and plans to travel to Ontario “very soon” to watch Alex Galchenyuk, the team’s first-round draft choice in June. It’s expected that Galchenyuk will be invited to the Canadiens’ training camp when the lockout ends.

The GM said he had no problem with the oft-injured Andrei Markov going to play in the KHL and said that it could be good for Markov to experience game conditions. He said every player has to make his own decision on how to stay in shape during the lockout but he noted that it will be easier for players who are in game shape.

Team White continued its domination of the intrasquad rivalry Wednesday night with a 4-2 win over Team Red at the Palais des Sports Leopold Drolet.

Brendan Gallagher, who was a major surprise at the Canadiens’ camp last year, led the winners with a goal  and an assist. Michel Ouellet, Stefan Chaput and Steve Quailer scored the other Team White goals while Michael Bournival two assists. Ouellet some NHL experience and he and Chaput both played in the AHL last season. Quailer is a rookie pro after spending three injury-plagued seasons at Northeastern University.

Team White had goals from Aaron Paluashaj and Blake Geoffrion, both of whom  last season with the Canadiens.

Audio: Therrien

Audio: Bergevin

1. jeffhabfan says:

I am going to Trenton Saturday morning to see the Dogs in the Trenton portion of Camp should be fun.Might be the best group of kids we have had on the farm in a long time.M.T. should be good just wanting tougher players and M.B. looks like a good choice for G.M.LETS JUST PLAY SOME HOCKEY NOW.

2. Muckbringer says:

so, rather than judge, ill vent. Some stupid american lawyer has turned our sacred site political. Im not judging anyone, but dont you miss
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmjdZKfumEI after a win?

this shit has gone too far. How long can one man spit on 32000 strong?

if i could envision `dickhead it would be GB.

KNob

whats worse is he doesnt care. if this were seria, hed be fùk wAd kuntKnife. fit im doen. i used to listen to this song while we faced adversity. now i want to see gb show his bambi skills and get his vert broken like chara did. FUCK SUCK THE NHL!!!

Conan: Almost 20 years of pitiless cumber! No rest, no sleep like other men. And yet the spring wind blows, Subotai. Have you ever felt such a wind?
    Subotai: They blow where I live too. In the north of every man’s heart.
    Conan: It’s never too late, Subotai.
    Subotai: No. It would only lead me back here another day. In even worse company.
    Conan: For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.

3. Kooch7800 says:

Ian Schultz is now been assigned to the ECHL

Sebastian Owuya was released

4. The Dude says:

Douchebag award goes to Mitt…..Obama’s the Man! Oh do Americans ever have a short memory that the Republican party and George W not only brought the most powerful nation in the world to it’s knee’s but also brought down the world. Just the fact that over 6 billion World citizens can’t nail the USA as a raciest country with Obama in the drivers seat is such a plus. And a s for the republicans ,Romney and their congress reps who’s mandate was just say no to Black Obama on everything for his first term and then stating Obama hasn’t done enough is a farce! Question for Romney…in Staples is not everything MADE in China,LOL…..

• 123456 says:

what an idiot – nice post calling names. mitt won the debate hands down. obama looked weak – not exactly waht i want from my leader

• Max says:

All Obama supporters are a bit delusional.Romney was a machine tonight and looked and sounded presidential.He was articulate and aggressive.Obama looked and sounded weak and passive.He was probably thinking about sipping grey goose with Jay-Z after the debate.He was schooled by Romney in a big way.

Cabrera wins triple crown! Unsure if Marcel Dionne is going to present it. Hope he wins MVP.

6. kempie says:

WTF is up with this?

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
    Big Bird fired? Larry Robinson hasn’t even started with San Jose yet

7. Bripro says:

I logged on for a reason! Oh yeah!

I read the previous threads.
    First, Stu Siegel…..
    Well, what do you expect him to say?
    At first, I was just going to re-hash what many of us have said about the owners making their own beds, etc.
    Who’s fault is the skyrocketing salary cap anyway?

Then I moved on to the top video “Together we can”.
    This wasn’t created and edited by the players, was it?
    It mentions Bettman’s $8MM salary.
    Do I appreciate the fact that the little weasel makes more in a year than I’ll make in a lifetime? Absolutely not.
    But let’s be at least fair on that issue, the owners offer ridiculous salaries and the players accept them.
    They’d be foolish not to, you say? Indeed.

But it should never have gotten there in the first place.
    I’m not sure if there’s a good side in this, except for the fans’ side.
    And who started escalating salaries?

Jean Beliveau!!! ;)

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

8. ProHabs says:

I love hearing Terrien say “My system is going to be different”. Finally, no more boring Jacques Martin hockey and more rough and tough hockey.

9. commandant says:

Those with a thirst for hockey talk? Just a reminder Our first ever puckheads radio show is live at 10pm.

Feel free to call with a question.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

10. Bripro says:

So I was up before dawn this morning.
    Most of you know, that rarely happens for me, because you guys are on here blogging, and I’m still zzzzing.
    6 hour drive to Trois Pistoles in Eastern Qc and back.
    For a meezly order, but an order nonetheless.
    Nice people, though. And we get to talking hockey.
    I mean, the heart of PQ country with a drawl, and the first topic of conversation is ‘osti d’Bettman’!
    Regardless of where we come from in this greatest of lands of ours, that which unites us makes us more determined.

And then of course it turned to politics and blah blah blah…..

*********************************************

11. HabFab says:

His defensive pairings;
    St-Denis-Ellis,
    Beaulieu-Tinordi,
    Nash-Pateryn,
    extra: Stejskal

12. HabFab says:

Based on play so far, forward lines for Hamilton;
    Palushaj-Geoffrion-Blunden
    Bournival-Leblanc-Gallagher
    Quailer-Nattinen-Holland
    Fortier-Dumont-Stortini,
    extra: Chaput.

JFChaumont

13. HabFab says:

3-1 for the Whites over the Reds tonight after the first period with shots 14-8 in Sherbrooke.
    Gallagher, Chaput and Ouellet for the Whites while Geoffrion has scored for the Reds.
    Pateryn stood up Palushaj with a big hit at the blue line.
    Leblanc and Quailer have impressed.

This brief hockey fix courtesy of your friends at the NHL and NHLPA…NOT!!

Update: Palushaj has made it 3-2.
    Quailer scores,4-2
    After 40, Reds out shooting Whites 20-19.

14. HabFab says:

Depuis son premier jour à la tête du Canadien, le 2 mai, Bergevin a ouvert les portes de l’organisation à 13 nouveaux membres du personnel hockey: Dudley, Mellanby, Michel Therrien, Sylvain Lefebvre, Lapointe, Brisebois, Gerard Gallant, Donald Dufresne, Vincent Riendeau, Ethan Moreau, Jean-Jacques Daigneault, Donald Audette et Mark Mowers.

Short version, since taking over Bergevin has brought in 13 new faces to the organization.

• Bripro says:

Hey Bravo Frank!
      Sérieusement, j’avais aucune idée que tu parlais français!
      You could’ve fooled me!!!

*********************************************

• Timo says:

One of these faces (in the one of the most important positions) is Michel Therrien. That’s it.

15. HabFab says:

Apparently Markov made 107 NHLers that have gone to Europe…seems high!

16. frontenac1 says:

Let”er Rip Obama, Kick some Romney Arse!

17. HabFab says:

Andre Markov needed to play, I have nothing against it. “- Marc Bergevin.

18. commandant says:

Are we going to see Bulldogs cuts, or do they take all the players to the preseason games.

My bet is that cuts (if any) will be very minimal today.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• HabFab says:

It would be surprising if any of those 14 try-out guys make it, Ouellet a possible exception. But with 29 players under contract already, it would take some camp to get signed.

HIO SUMMIT NEWS!

I am having trouble with holding onto our reservations at the Baton Rouge, Cora’s and Hurley’s Pub for our Summit events!

I have to confirm by Thursday the 4th to the Baton Rouge.
    I have been speaking to the Bell Center and I am expecting a call again today to say weather they can confirm our game or cancel. I can not make a move until I hear from them. But they are in the same boat about not knowing.
    If I cancel our venues and the league starts playing, we won’t have much of a Summit. Also people that are flying, their plane tickets are in jeopardy.
    I need a cancel sign from the Bell Center in order to get replacement tickets for another game of our choosing, this year or next.

IMPORTANT
    Please do not lose your tickets or misplace them. They are the only thing we have to get a replacement with.!!!!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• bleedhabs81 says:

I feel bad that the lockout is causing Ian grief.

• slamtherimtim says:

just goes to show how much the lockout affect the normal person , not only people like us who already invested , but the waitress who will lose a shift bell tour employee wont have a tour to do , no parking money , baton o waitress and probaly bar help and kitchen staff , , hurleys , public transport for whoever used it , plane and train tickets , beer guys , taxi home , man this sucks

20. HabFab says:

Highlights from today’s Bulldog scrimmage from RDS;

21. frontenac1 says:

Jesus this place is boring! Where’s Nickle? Or Gumper?Or Nuna?I’m heading to the Saloon for some cocktails. Back later when I’m good and hammered! Saludos Amigos.

22. HabFab says:

As per the poll what side do you support?

I support the owners on;
    - revenue share percentage change, financial information available shows that a 4-5% change is needed (small market team revenue sharing)
    - some contract limitations in time and yearly amounts

I support the players on;
    - just about all other issues
    - was sympathetic towards no roll backs until they choice to not hold off on this upcoming season Salary Cap increase until after the CBA negotiations. This almost 10% increase was equal to a 5.25% cushion against roll backs.

The present HRR definitions seem reasonable to me so support neither side on that one.

23. geo_habsgo says:

EDIT: I don’t know how this got here. Was meant as a reply to Shiram’s comment below.

I find gravy often takes a back seat to the cheese curds but it’s just as important. I personally love my poutine when it has that dark, thick gravy on top. Poutine should be hearty.

Fack, now I want poutine :(

Bergevin is the greatest GM Habs had since Gauthier. When he speaks, people listen.

25. Thurston says:

At least Bergevin speaks. The media would be lucky to get a dirty look from Gauthier if he was still with the Habs.

26. Kooch7800 says:

What is he going to speak about? His fav poutine spots recommended by Shiram? The alternate Summit possibly coming at the direction of Habs in Burlington?

There is no NHL hockey news.

I hate this lockout. How can a league have record years and then be on a lockout…..baffling

I commend you for at least giving each player 2-3 weeks of Junior hockey before making such a decision. One wouldn’t want to be too hasty. :)

28. commandant says:

Its been four games…..

He has 3 points in 4 games.

Grigorenko has scored a bunch of points against shitty QMJHL teams, meanwhile Galchenyuk has played against the two best goalies in the OHL and still has 3 points and a shootout goal.

He’s also getting rid of the rust from a year off.

Holy overreaction.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

29. Mark C says:

Haha. Thanks for the laugh.

30. jedimyrmidon says:

I remember seeing an almost identical post… after 1 game.

31. Lizardking89 says:

Really? Second guessing Timmins’ choice after 4 games? I hope Gally has a think skin cause this city will eat him alive if he doesn’t pan out. Give him a chance for f sake!

32. Habfan10912 says:

Tried to respond to this several times and had second thoughts and deleted it. Kind of like if you have nothing good to say……… leave it at that. Good night all.

———————————–

33. Mark C says:

And you didn’t even mention that Grigorenko has been playing with Shaw, Dunclair, and now I think Erne is on that line with Dunclair out. Those are some outstanding linemates.

34. Max says:

Don’t joke.Romney is wiping the floor with Obama tonight. That’s a professional politician and businessman toying with a community organizer without much to say. I’m no great Romney fan but Obama’s been on the wall all night.

35. 123456 says:

could not agree more – obama is studdering and treading water. i will admit i am a romney fan (or rather anti-obama) but i expected a lot more from teh great teleprompter speaker