Bench Talk: Week 3

With a weekend sweep of the lowly Flyers, a historic comeback versus the Rangers, a visit from the NHL’s point leader, and trade rumours, trade rumours, trade rumours – Montreal fans had a lot to talk about this week. In case you haven’t had the time to read all of the great posts by Habs
Inside/Out members, here is a short selection of some of the best from
the past 7 days.

Read a comment that you really liked? hated? laughed at? Then send me a message to nominate a post for next week’s Bench Talk. Make sure to include the original message in its entirety (you can use copy and paste), the username of the person who posted it, and the title of the thread under which it was posted.

To send me an e-mail, go to my profile, and then click "Contact".

Until next time… Go Habs Go!

-Chris

Some of the comments have been edited for length.

Ah…that was enjoyable! This is soooo much better than last year, it’s almost indescribable. There are big changes of course…like Hamrlik, O’Byrne and Gorges on defence versus Souray, Dandenault and Rivet, and this year’s Kovalev versus last year’s. But there are so many little things that, when you add them together, make the difference between a decent team that misses the playoffs by one win and a consistently very good team.

Better than last year? (THE GAZETTE/Allen Mcinnis)Better than last year? (THE GAZETTE/Allen Mcinnis)Watching Markov penetrate the offensive zone on the PP is a joy. That little hesitation he makes just at the line to throw off the defender and allow him to carry the puck rather than dumping it in is an art. Gorges’ positioning is great to see. Twice last night I saw him rub out a puck carrier on the boards and flip it out to his own player in a quick transition. Plekanec, Kovalev and Kostitsyn’s blind awareness of their linemates’ positions on the ice is a weapon very difficult to defend against…as we saw with the Habs’ first goal last night. The number of shots the team blocks is indicative of a much more determined will to win than we saw last year. Sergei Kostitsyn’s seeing-eye passes are brilliant, and when he stops surprising his linemates with them so often they’ll generate some pretty goals. So many little things…
-Submitted by J.T.

I am good enough to fill in for Breezer or Smokes in the press box.
And I’d sit there night after night for ahhh…$90,000 per year.
And actually, if the Habs look after my housing and meals, i could live on an allowance of $500 per week.
-Submitted by Richard B

Listening in on the Puckcast, there was some mention of the reaction Bob Gainey would get at his jersey retirement ceremony. For some reason, some people feel Gainey has not been very good at putting this team together.Hamrlik, Huet, Price, Both Kostitsyn brothers, Lapierre, O’Byrne, Begin, Streit, Kovalev, Halak, and Latendresse were all brought in by Bob Gainey. Not to mention the depth he has drafted, where the Habs boast one hell of a farm system; with Halak, Chipchura, Emelin, Valentenko, McDonagh, Paccioretty, Fischer, Maxwell, Ryan White, Yannick Weber, PK Subban, Cameron Cepek, and Mathieu Carle.

The fact is that Bob gainey has developed this team into a good product on the ice, with all signs showing that it could very well be something great, in the not so distant future. This Organization has great scouting, bolstered by the recent addition of Frank Jay Who has been a crucial part in developing the farm systems of Ottawa and New Jersey, both teams who have shown a very strong tradition of good draft picks.

Iā€™m waiting with baited breath for Febuary 23rd 2008, where, if the fans remember him as the team-first, heart on his sleeve, never say die, dignified player he was, and as the very skillful, patient, insightful GM he is. Bob Gainey will be given an reception the kind of which he greatly deserves; the kind that has been reserved for Beliveau, Richard and few others who have truly turned the Montreal Canadiens, from simply being a hockey team, to being an Institution.
-Submitted by 9410

Does anyone know Bob’s e-mail?
I think I need to give him some advice.
-Submitted by Richard B

BEST IDEA FOR A CUSTOM JERSEY

Kostitsyns
746
-Submitted by Blitzen

BEST TRADE INSPIRED ONE-LINERS

So, does that mean the Foppa market just floppa’d???

-Submitted by sadave

Are you serious or are you Jokinen?
-Submitted by Rugger

Nah, it was just Sundin I heard.
-Submitted by sadave

Hossa ’bout we don’t trade anyone?
-Submitted by Rugger

Looks like LA put the Blakes on any deal with their UFA.
-Submitted by sadave

Holik Cow!
-Submitted by doug

And while we’re at it, we’d better stop being so Lecavalier about a
trading for a player with a year still to go on his contract.
-Submitted by sadave

Gainey wouldn’t Havlat anyway.
-Submitted by J.T.

Now, that’s just Cournoyer.
-Submitted by G-Man

And the Oilers are Stolling for time…
-Submitted by The Teacher

There isn’t going to be any trades.
We’re just going to have to Huet it out.
-Submitted by The Teacher

How much do you think it would Kostopoulos to Havlat?
-Submitted by Bob Gainey

Well Huntering for the best deal for a low level Prospal is a wise move.
-Submitted by The Teacher

It’s simple really, just take the list of UFA’s and Markov who you want.
-Submitted by Rugger

Whoa! This is Streit out of some comedy routine…
-Submitted by Bob Gainey

….

Okay Kids, we’ve let this go on too Luongo to bed now.

-Submitted by Rugger

Yeah, this is getting Auld…
-Submitted by Bob Gainey

Do you have a trade idea that’ll balance out the team? Find a good link
to a Habs’ story? Calculated a crazy stat? Then post it to the
discussion boards and check out Bench Talk every Friday for a weekly
round-up of the best of your comments.

1. Ed says:

Chris, tell me you never saw this one posted in Boone’s thread after that fantastic comeback to win 6-5 over the Rangers. Boone even had to respond to it.
    ___________________________________________________________________________
    Submitted by JLa30 on Wed, 02/20/2008 – 09:26.

I CANNOT believe I missed this!!!! When I saw they were down 5-2 at the end of the second, I decided to get a little “romantic” with my boyfriend. What the frickin hell!?!?!?!! Guess I learned my lesson… no nookie during Habs games, even if they are down and seem to be out!

___________________________________________________________________________

Mike Boone’s picture
    Submitted by Mike Boone on Wed, 02/20/2008 – 13:24.

Wow! I feel your pain … so to speak. You missed the comeback … so to speak. You just have to work on your scheduling. At my age, I can wrap everything up ā€“ foreplay through cigarette ā€“ during the time it takes to Zamboni the ice for a shootout (so to speak).
    __________________________________________________________________________

I thought these were both hilarious.

2. aungthwin says:

Yeah, I did see that one… and like The Teacher said, Mike Boone used some ink on it in Friday’s Gazette. I figured most people would see it there. It was pretty classic though, wasn’t it?

I wonder how the boyfriend feels?

3. The Teacher says:

Well, Boone mentioned it on one of the first 4 pages of the Gazette today. I started laughing when I saw it.

4. Ed says:

I bet he felt good while the Habs were making their comeback. His mind was elsewhere, plus it was the girlfriend who got romantic, not him. That’s always a bonus. He made better use of his time than the guy I heard on Team990 who said he watched 2 hours of American Idol. Yuch!

5. showey47 says:

Lmao, like he cares,he got some didn’t he?

6. Rogie30 says:

Love them all, and cant help but think of a couple of dillies Habs Kat made, ‘Habs fans are bipolar from one game to the next”, and when we lost 4-2 to the Laffs, “Where,s the bags”. Those were gems.

7. GrimJim says:

This is the best trade talk I’ve heard.