Bench Talk: Week 2

Tomas Plekanec: Poetry in motion?  REUTERS/Mike Carlson (UNITED STATES)Tomas Plekanec: Poetry in motion? REUTERS/Mike Carlson (UNITED STATES)

As usual it has been an interesting week for the Montreal Canadiens and their fans. And also as usual every goal, every line change, every benching and (new this week) every arrest, has been fiercely debated. In case you haven’t had the time to read all of the great posts by Habs Inside/Out members, here is a short selection of some of the best from the past 7 days.

Some of the comments have been edited for length.

BEST COMMENTS OF THE WEEK

Le Gros Bill is the classiest, most humble, and without a doubt the most professional player to ever wear the Canadiens jersey. Everything he did both on and off the ice reflects core values that are sadly lacking in today’s society – love of family, love of life and an authentic love for all aspects of the game that provided him with his livelihood. Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Beliveau… Happy Valentine’s Day!
-Submitted by Odie Clegorn

To Mr. Stubbs,
Wonderful in-depth interview with the best player the Habs have right now. Last year, AK27 drove me crazy: all the talent, so little effort. This season, he’s made me eat crow from the start. Too bad more players can’t take a long walk with Gainey and get their attitude and fierce pride straightened out. What a team we’d have then!
-Submitted by G-Man

Habs-Kat – Adding to your comment about a third line center. I wonder if we would be better off trying to get a (signed) center who will stay in Montreal for a few years rather than just going for a rental. Otherwise, we will face the same dilemma next year. Lapierre could move to the wing next year and Chipchura could take the fourth spot. Outside of those guys, there’s really no one in the system who is ready to fill this need. I’d love to trade for someone who has size and grit and isn’t afraid to get his nose dirty. It would cost more than a rental, but it would also address more than one need. If that’s not possible, then we should checkout the free agent market this summer. Not all the fish have to be big fish.
-Submitted by 24 Cups

Here is a list off the top off my head of names that the Habs were rumored to be interested in for the last couple years, not including Tanguay because I don’t believe there ever was any interest in him for Kovalev:

Gagner: 18 points in 24 games, -7. Just suffered 2nd concussion of the season.
Briere: 52 points in 54 games, -18. Yikes!
Kariya: 47 points in 53 games, -4.
Hossa: 49 points in 55 games, -14. Still think he is attractive?
Shanahan: 32 points in 51 games. Currently injured.
Gomez: 54 points in 58 games, +3.
Smyth: 28 points in 36 games, -5. Injured for a while now.
Souray: You know this one.
Drury: 39 points in 58 games, -12.

-Submitted by habitual

[Huet] is a UFA and he is going to want a 3 year deal minimum somewhere around 12 million. We don’t need him for nearly that long and that money can be spent on a high profile forward or for our core players. Don’t get me wrong, I like Huet but I feel we don’t need him much after this season. This is Huet’s one chance to get that retirement contract, does anyone think he is going to accept anything less?
-Submitted by showey47

Canadiens have a huge luxury right now, they have two goalies who are capable of winning games in the NHL. Down one goal knowing that he could not afford to let in another, Carey Price did what a goalie is supposed to do. He kept his team in the game and gave them a chance to win. Don’t know if it qualifies as stealing a game but it was a very solid performance.

Higgins looks to be emerging from his slump, scoring goals in each of the last two games. Shows what happens when a coach has faith in his players. Higgins was struggling as badly as a certain someonoe but the coach had enough faith in him to leave him alone and work through his problems.

Without a doubt Ryder’s days are done in Montreal. Even slumping he is much better than a lot of the players who dress on the third and fourth lines. With him on the Koivu line and Sergei back leading the Kid Line, I think this team is much better than it is with Ryder sitting in the press box.

-Submitted by ebk

BEST HAIKUS OF THE WEEK

The Canadiens
They give me nightmares but I
want to live the dream.
-Submitted by kevrob

Alex Kovalev
once threaded a needle, with
a high slot wrist shot.
-Submitted by moser17

Florida bores me
But the Habs pull off two points
Pleky for Selke
-Submitted by J.T.

MOST ATTENTION TO DETAIL

I might be the only one, but I think Sergei Kostitsyn’s gloves are the nicest hockey gloves I’ve ever seen, period.
-Submitted by usversusthem

BEST PROFILE PIC OF THE WEEK

Click on: JasonM to see it.

Do you have a trade idea that’ll balance out the team? Find a good link
to a Habs’ story? Calculated a crazy stat? Then post it to the
discussion boards and check out Bench Talk every Friday for a weekly
round-up of the best of your comments.

1. ColdHabs says:

Yawn…

Best Haikus???

enjoying the high’s & enduring the lows of being a Habs fan

2. moser17 says:

haiku

yawning at haiku
    betrays a lack of wisdom
    enjoyed by Habs fans

3. N.B.habs fan says:

hEY TEACH ,YOU MAD BECAUSE THEY DIDN’T PICK ANY OF YOUR POST,just kidding ..I read your post all the time,don’t you agree with Kit-Kat…

4. The Teacher says:

Not too impressed with this one..

Much better out there IMO.

Here’s your first

BOOOOOOOOOO!!!

;)

5. N.B.habs fan says:

ooops ment Habs-Kat

6. The Teacher says:

Kit-Kat?

I assume you are talking about 24 Cup’s post?

I agree with him that we have to get a player that is signed if we decide to make a trade. I don’t agree with giving up assets for rentals at the present time. And since Ryder is soon gone, I think it is important to get a #2 winger with size if we would choose to improve the forward situation THIS year.

Our #1 priority in the off-season should be a good #3 or #4 defence-men. We will need to move Dandy, Bouillon and let go of Brisebois and Smolinski. This will save us 6.5 million (estimated Breezer at 1 Mil). I’m expecting Valentenko up next year. We will have Markov, Komi, Hamrlik, (new #3,4), Gorges, O’Byrne which makes 6 starters. We have Valentenko as our #7 and Streit as backup (He will play forward and PP the point depending on what type of D Gainey acquires).

The saved 6.5 mil should allow us to do so. We would then have enough to sign our RFA and then try and get a forward to fit into our team, one with grit, size and a knack for finding the net consistently over his career (barring a 1st line forward that is).

I don’t really care if my posts make it, I just found myself laughing quite often when reading the last Bench Talk, and really not so for this one. To each their own though, right?

7. Dru says:

Hey folks,

I don’t think there’s anything stopping people from making their own proposals for best comments of the week, right here in this thread. Go to!

8. Les-Habitants says:

While it would take a lot to pry Huet away from the Habs, I don’t think Gainey is out-right refusing to consider it.

But, realistically, I believe that there is a very strong chance that Gainey will try to re-sign Huet for another 2 yrs, and we have the cap room to accomadate such a contract. If someone wanted Huet, they’d have to pony up a really good package….but be prepared to see an extension rather then a trade.

9. Xtrahabsfan says:

I would think moving Huet risky at all,Halak and Price will be awsome as a shared goaltending dynamic duo

10. The Teacher says: