BeDevilled again

Same old same old, despite an early exit by Martin F. Brodeur

Pat Hickey’s game story

Gill takes blame for first goal

Price moving up in record book

Devils brought their A-game

About yesterday afternoon …

Jack Todd on Gomez

• Arpon Basu on good 2011 stats

Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

• Brendan Kelly on Nos Canadiens

1. joeybarrie says:

Todd’s article says that Gomez spoke out against PK’s attitude. I never heard this.

Also this article, to me anyways, has nothing to do with Price. So how you can make such a generalization, I don’t know. Why you are making this out to be about Price I also do not know.

Another thing I find interesting is PK’s stats of late, having 14 points in 16 games. Since being benched by JM, yet of course JM is hurting our youth.

Todd is typically picking on a guy because of his contract. But I will ask this again. Without Gomez in the lineup we have won only 1 game in the last 2 years. We have been exceeding expectations and Gomez is our number one 5 on 5 center. He is a BIG key in our play, and since he has been on this team we have gone to the Conf Finals, and are currently holding on to 6th spot in the standing despite being without Gorges and Markov, along with Cammi for awhile. Not I do not pretend this to be simply the work of Gomez alone, if you think he isnt a big part of it, then I believe you are quite naive.

With Gomez we have been a much better team. So I do not see why he gets so much bashing… HE did not trade himself to Montreal, and He did not OFFER himself the contract, he simply said YES to two good opportunities. Which makes him a smart guy.

I will say it again. Gomez makes 7.3 million on average per season. SAME AS BETTMAN. What do you expect.

OH THATS RIGHT, some people want our first two lines to be Crosby, Ovechkin, Briere, LaCavalier, St. Louis, and Kesler. And of course they want them for 3 million each…

Todd may be able to write an article, but he is a typical instigating reporter who’s entire style is based on reaction. He is similar to Don Cherry, Howard Stern (without the humor) or Jackass movies….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

2. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Gill just doesn’t have the speed and balance to properly lay guys out, he’s be hitting an enpty board more often than not. I like Gill, and he shows is real worth come playoff time.

3. The Cat says:

I think that art thingy donation he made in Ottawa and then it turned out to be dubious, it had something to do with his mother or something. I forget the full story but that did him in in Ottawa.

4. lach60 says:

jack todd is a turkey

5. Chris says:

I always thought Alexei Yashin was a great player, but recognize I’m in the minority.  I’ve always felt the guy has been unfairly maligned, but what can you do?  He’s a big boy collecting a big salary, so I’m sure he can deal with it.  But he was a very, very good NHL player for his entire career.  The contract disputes tarnished his legacy, as did his playoff performances.

But the guy played for some not particularly great teams…he was with the Senators when they were starting to get good, and then got dealt to the Islanders when they started to get truly awful.  His only good shots at success were thwarted when the Senators ran into the Dominik Hasek led Sabres in 1998-99 and then a Maple Leafs team pefectly designed to kill the Sentators (just like the Flyers seem designed to kill the Habs of late) in 2000-01.  And if you want to see interference, watch the “defence” that Shayne Corson got away with while covering Yashin in that Leafs-Sens playoff seriesin 2001.  That was absolutely the worst officiating I’ve ever seen.

6. Chris says:

I agree to an extent with Arpon Basu’s article, but there is a cautionary note.

Since Dec. 31, the time period Basu is talking about, the Habs have played 10 games at home and 6 on the road.  That the Habs are a very good home team and a decidedly average road team thus far should be factored in, particularly given that those 6 road games were against Florida, New York, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Ottawa and Washington, only three of whom were in playoff positions .  Since January 1, the Canadiens have had minimal travel (New York, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Ottawa and Washington, all within 800 km).

Once the current home-game heavy portion of the schedule is finished, the Habs face some nasty travel for the following month (Feb. 17 – March 20):

• the annual Western Canada swing (Edmonton, surging Calgary, Vancouver)
    • back to Montreal for a pair of games (always dangerous Toronto, Carolina)
    • travel to Atlanta, Florida and Tampa Bay
    • back to Montreal for a game (Boston)
    • travel to St. Louis followed by Pittsburgh
    • back to Montreal for a pair of games (Washington, Tampa Bay)
    • travel to New York than Minnesota

I have no doubt the Canadiens will make the playoffs.  But I think we’ll have a much, much better idea of where the team sits in terms of Stanley Cup contender status on March 20th.  That road-heavy schedule mixed in with some pretty tough home games could bring the team together and show that they might in fact be a solid Stanley Cup contender, or it could expose some weaknesses and show that they might be a pretender.

Jacques Martin loves to match up his lines and defensive pairs, and I think that is a big part of the team’s success.  Whether he can do that without the benefit of the last change will be an issue for the team to face.  I’m not saying anything that people don’t already know, I just thought it might be useful to point out that there can be some flaws in the conclusions you reach when you cherry-pick a short portion of the schedule.

7. Oddball says:

Cap issues aside, are you trying to say we would be a better team had Gainey not made the trade and kept, Higgins (36 points), McDonagh (1 pt), Valentenko (No NHL games, career AHLer?) Janik (2 points) over Gomez (101 points, 14 of them play-off points) Pyatt (9 pts)

Now it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that Sather screwed the pooch on the Gomez contract, but I’d rather have him and Pyatt, rather than Higgins, who really is the only bonefide NHLer right now and who’s been through 3 teams since the deal, out of the 4 players the Habs dealt, even at Higgin’s 1.6 cap. hit.

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

8. F Bomb says:

I’m starting to get the feeling that much of the players really care what the media says.  Gomez, Gionta, Cammi are all signed for the forseeable future, they are fresh off a Conference final and they continue to win games without top players.  Media can say all they want this is a tight nit group that plays hard and has an identity

9. HFX-HabFan says:

Jack Todd = what the J-school profs teach you not to be like.  What a hack.

10. kempie says:

Amen to that. I love the guy’s contribution and I can overlook most of his shortcomings. What bugs me most about Gill is watching a guy with his size play like a Lady Byng candidate. I’m not saying he should go full-Pronger but a little Chara would go a long way. But if he were to develop a bit of a nasty streak he’d be a beast.

11. Peterborough Habs Fan says:

Spot the Devils a one goal lead, go and grab a pillow and a blanket. Might as well watch paint dry.

12. The Cat says:

Im going to toot my own horn here but I remember when I said the habs should get Avery, that he had hit a wall with his antics and it was all an act. Hed have come cheap and look at Avery this year. Hes a very good player and you dont hear anything out of him.

13. The Cat says:

You know I think Gill is getting away with too much, hes been MABesque a lot from what Ive seen. And just cause he owns up to it doesnt make it better. I dont dislike the guy but hes as much of a one trick pony like MAB was (his octopuss-like reach when on the PK). Just once Id like to see him use his size and flatten someone.

14. Mark C says:

Jack Todd gets paid for that? Well, I guess I read it, wished I hadn’t.

Todd cites Gomez’s salary and not his cap number; in 2012 Gomez’s salary will be $5.5M (almost $2M lower than his cap number), who thinks Todd will still be citing his salary then?

Why is Todd so upset about there being regular season awards, and in particular an MVP award? Does Todd not realize that there is a playoff MVP award too?

Har har, Jack, Mr. Gisele Bundchen, that’s original. If that wasn’t enough, he then compared Brady (who played on a broken foot) to Ryan Leaf.

If he dislikes Gomez’s production so much, how come he was disappointed to see Max sent down last year? Max had 3 goals and 14 points in 52 games when he was sent down, and hadn’t scored a goal in 27 games. I guess it’s all about the Benjamins.

Say what you want about Ben Roethlisberger personal behavior, but saying he shouldn’t have played in the Super Bowl is ridiculous. Someone needs to remind Todd that you are innocent until proven guilty in America, he seems to have forgotten.

15. habs-hampton says:

Boone/Stubbs/Hickey,  how do you work with this guy? He must be to your staff, what Avery was to the Dallas Stars. You must be embarrassed every time his letterhead shows up in the paper.

16. Habnofear says:

Dumbest written  statement ever”Are you paying his salary???”.Gomez at 8 mil a season is the worst trade EVER FOR A FORWARD. Niinaama worst trade for a Dman and Di Pietro worst goalie contract.

17. F Bomb says:

Todd really let Gomez have it.  Is Gomez that much of a cancer?  Is it really that big of a deal that he was mouthing off and got ejected?  They were losing 3-1 against the last place team and had trouble generating any offence.  People get frustrated and so what he got kicked out.  Doesn’t that show emotion?  I don’t see him doing that when they are winning and they don’t have guys that can fight or push the other team around; so what do they do?  They chirp.  PK churps, Georges, Cammi, they all chirp.  4-1, your losing, 2 minutes left, go nuts and bring it next game.  + it was another back to back after a big shutout win.

Any news on when Cammi is set to return?  I know he is skating but doens’t look like he is taking contact or shooting.  I’m thinking another 2 weeks.  Just my opinion but maybe even surgery after the season.

+ about last night, they were also missing Wisniewski.  Injuries/illness are really taking the offensive players out.  Give the team a break!

18. joshua94k says:

After reading Red Fisher and Jack Todd this morning, it was refreshing to get Arpon Basu’s viewpoint. His analysis of the team after Dec. 31 is spot on. Not many teams can compete night after night as the Canadiens have after missing key players like Markov, Gorges, Cammalleri and now Wisniewski.

Scott Gomez may not be having his greatest season but when a player is angry after a loss, he is on the right track. Somebody has to question the poor officiating (only one powerplay in a game) against the Devils. The refs put their whistles in their pockets during the last 30 minutes. I am glad Gomez confronted the referees. Somebody has to do it. This has been going on for too long. If the Devils were behind, the Canadiens would be sure to get a few back to back penalties.

It is hard enough to compete without your top players, at least let the game be played fairly.

It seems Red Fisher never has a positive thing to say about the Canadiens. Early in September he said they would not make the play-offs with teams like Buffalo, New Jersey and even Toronto getting better. Then in December when the Canadiens were in a slump, he said things are not going to get easier for them suggesting their season is done.

This team has character, they will not quit. If they are given a fair chance to play, they are hard to beat.

19. HabFanSince72 says:

You don’t hear anything from Avery because he’s been demoted to the fourth line.

20. F Bomb says:

At the same time you don’t see to many players taking runs at him.  When he gets involved in scrums players usually back off instead of throwing punches or trying to bully him.

If he started throwing his body around and flattening guys he must be prepared to get it back.  Is he prepared for that?

21. joeybarrie says:

Jack Todd continues to be just plain dumb.

Gomez was right in yelling at the ref’s, why wouldn’t he. GAME OVER and no chance to win. Why wouldn’t he yell at the idiots who helped stifle his team. I won’t blame the ref’s for us losing. But they did not help.

Second, maybe I am wrong, but I have NEVER heard anything about Gomez telling PK how to act. IF ANYTHING, I think Gomez is similar to PK’s joking style (or vise versa), and I wouldn’t take much out of his mouth as too seriously.

Then to say his contract is the worst ever, (ok I admit I stopped reading and saw that from another poster) but, again JACK TODD. I ask you…. This team has won 1 game without Gomez. With him we went to the Conf Finals. You can say what you want, no one can tell me that this team has not exceeded expectations time and time again since we traded for him… NOT ONLY HIM, but you have to admit, the center who gets the MOST even strength time on ice on this team is in fact a HUGE part of it’s success.

The way people bash Gomez you would think we were the New Jersey Devils in last place. When will people realize that without 3 of our best players the guys who are getting it done should be congratulated, not bashed.

It’s been said a few times, if you are a fan of winning, you should be a fan of this team. And there is not a player on our team who has more experience in winning than Gomez. So to those of you who fail to see the upside of Gomez, then I say you are in the same boat as Jack Todd, and enjoy the trip. What’s that you say, he isn’t worth his contract….. WAKE UP. THIS IS THE NHL… Half the players are over paid, FOR GOD’S SAKE BETTMAN MADE OVER 7 MILLION LAST YEAR to keep a bunch of half full arenas in the League.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

22. fbkj says:

anybody check out the canadien comic book?

me no understandy

23. The Cat says:

You know maybe Red thinks like me. I dont find the habs a very good club at all, I mean they turtle around their goalie better than last year which is why Price looks so good this year (Price wasnt bad at all last year, its just they wouldnt score more than 1 goal when he was in) and usually manage 1 period of consistent offensive effort per game. Im honestly surprised they have the amount of wins they have… I find in the east that other than Philly and maybe Tampa, that theres a lot of flawed teams this year. I cant say Ive been dazzled while watching games. I hope theyre all saving something for the playoffs at least.

The Gazoo. What a rag.

25. Storm Man says:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Im glad I don’t think like you I would have to shot myself.

26. Storm Man says:

Where do you get 8mil? did you sleep in math class? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

27. kempie says:

I think I’m speechless. WTF?

28. The Cat says:

No reason for you to shoot yourself storm man, theres more to life than hockey.

29. Mark C says:

Montreal isn’t a very good team, yet Tampa might be complete? I recommend a few minutes checking out the team stats page on NHL.com.

30. Storm Man says:

Who cares what he has to say anymore. Arpon Basu is a better columnists.

I just laugh.

Of topic. Or back to topic. Last night was one of the 1st times I’ve noticed Kovalchuck as an impact player. What’s worse is with all his skill he’s 6’2″ and 240 pounds. I really hope Lemaire retires before he turns KovyII into a better player than he already is.

About Jacques Lemaire, man I dislike that coach. Except when he was Habs coach. Back then I knew he was going to be a very good. It really pissed me off when he left Montreal, left because of the pressure from the fans and media to put out an offensive team whereas he was leaning towards defense first. His coaching the Habs was his initial dabbling in the dreaded trap.

Is retrospect 20/20 or is it just another case of sour grapes turned into a bitter whine?

Nah. Only in the bowels of New Jersey could such a festering hockey strategy be developed. In essence Jacques Lemaire forced the rule changes of a few years ago.

Apparently, and in its honour, those rules were suspended yesterday aft and it was 1995 all over again.

32. Storm Man says:

Read it again…. If I was thinking like you I would have to. My life does not live and die with hockey unlike you. maybe you need some catnip.

33. Habnofear says:

Who’s better Alexi Yashin or Scott Gomez?

The Gaurdian Project is by far the lamest fail since Windows Vista. There is no way to describe the cheap suckiness of it. It’s beyond bad. It seriously needs to be spoofed. LOL. That would go so viral.

35. Strabo says:

Nice article by Apron, it helps to see things in a different light. You hear and read so many negative things about the Habs, it just wears on you.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

36. The Cat says:

I know what you meant einstein…

37. HabFanSince72 says:

Bit worried at Gionta and Kostitsyn’s numbers during that 16 game stretch.

And of course who leads the team in minus since Dec 31?

38. Storm Man says:

Anytime Homer……..

39. The Cat says:

To be fair I said maybe. TB can score and their D stats can only improve with Roloson…The thing is I dont see the habs increasing their goal outputs, theres no reason to believe it will. Ottawa was the same under JM, they couldnt score, theyd lose 2-1 or 3-2 and Lalime was scapegoated.

40. HabFanSince72 says:

Lemaire is hands down the best coach of the past 20 years.

It’s not just the trap. Look how he turned NJ from worst to best.

41. Mark C says:

Again, spend some time checking out the team stats page. Outside of Martin’s first year in Ottawa the team finished no worse than 6th in goals scored, and lead the league in his last season.

42. habsguy says:

Best ??????????????

43. Chris says:

The trap was around long, long before Lemaire perfected it in New Jersey.  It was running rampant in the Swedish hockey, for example.

I really don’t understand why people hate the trap so much.  New Jersey played their system beautifully.  They were still generating scoring chances, so if you were a New Jersey fan it must have been a fun game to watch.

We’re only mad because they played their system better than the Habs played their own.

44. Chris says:

Agreed. With Barry Trotz probably a close second, in my opinion.

45. christophor says:

Because nothing could possibly have happened between then and now. Nothing. There’s no way some other deal could have materialized over the last two years. None. That’s why you’re right…because there is no other way things could have happened. I’ve got it now. Keep it coming.

46. habsguy says:

I dont know that I would call a player “great” unless he played great in the playoffs as well.

47. anotherhab says:

“Turkey” is being awfully kind!!

48. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

So you feel that there are alot of flawed teams this year in the East and you’re surprised that the Hagbs have as many wins as they do. Yet, they are in the thick of things with all of these flawed teams, boy you have really underestimated this team, haven’t you? Do you ever see the positives of them?

I agree with you about Philly, but there is no other team that scares me in the East, Montreal can compete with any of them.

49. kempie says:

Way to piss off an entire species of the animal kingdom.

50. The Cat says:

Yes but as the season goes, the games get tighter. Ottawa went from scoring to scoring less. Montreal will go from scoring less to ? Im not saying they wont score or will stop winning, Im just saying theres no reason to believe offensive production will increase.

51. The Cat says:

Sure theres some positives. I love PK Subban, I think he’ll be a superstar. But have you seen the team win when Price hasnt been very good? It hasnt happened often.

52. Chris says:

He donated a bunch of money to the National Arts Centre but it came with a condition of almost half going to his parents for consulting fees. He originally argued that he pulled the donation because the NAC had refused to honour his request to use the money to bring in Russian ballet companies. Like you said, that whole charade on top of two contract hold-outs sealed the deal for Yashin.

Nonetheless, he was a good player on the ice. Even coming back to play that 2000-01 season after the arbitrator ruled against him, he could have mailed it in a bit. Instead, he had one of his best seasons, at least statistically, while surrounded with a much improved supporting cast.

53. andrewberkshire says:

He’s certainly the most influential coach, but I wouldn’t say best. By virtue of success, Mike Babcock is far and away the best coach in the NHL.

Oh I am bitter. 😉

BeDevilled by more than the Devils folks.

We are starting to slip a little this past week. But not as bad as some may suggest. Other teams are now starting to get the injury bug now as well. This time of year the game picks up in speed and intensity.

We have been hit with slow starting first period hockey, this has to be turned around. The season is becoming very short. I wonder if Gauthier and staff are going to make a move.?

In a 30 team league, here is where we are placed this week over last week.

Goals Against—-131,  We are in  6th place.   Last week we were in   4th place.

Total points——-65,  We are in  9th place.   Last Week we were in   9th place.

Goals For——–139,  We are in 22nd place.  Last week we were in 22nd place.

Scott Gomez is acting like a “petulant, spoiled child,” writes Jack Todd

Jack Todd’s writing is like a “flatulant, spoiled mold,” writes HardHabits

57. Shiloh says:

Nice to see the same old Jack Todd haters out. For some here, good writing is defined by how many instances of excessive praise can be heaped on Carey Price in one sentence. You see, folks, disagreeing with a writer is one thing – and it’s a perfectly normal occurrence. But morphing that disagreement into spewing vitriol is just inappropriate and sad.

Todd’s article criticizes Gomez but praises Subban, Jacques Martin and Woody Fryman. He writes about how much he likes Forsberg but wishes he would hang them up. He takes a stand on Ben the Rapist – a clear and unequivocal stand.

And for this honest revealing approach he is vilified by the Carey-loving horde. I can’t expect all of you to develop a sense of proportion when you read, but I can ask you to reflect on why you must pound hate out into the blogosphere because you disagree with a sportswriter – a very talented writer who we are fortunate to have.

58. Chris says:

Hard to compare.  Both guys have Stanley Cups (1 each).  Babcock jumped from the Ducks to a powerhouse franchise in Detroit, so his success has to be tempered a little by the fact he jumped to a pretty ideal situation.

Lemaire turned around a Devils franchise that was floundering and instilled a system and work ethic that has thrived there for almost 20 seasons.  He then went to Minnesota and turned around that franchise, leading them to their best years.

And now he’s come back to New Jersey and has that franchise righting itself again.  Like Ken Hitchcock, Lemaire has specialized in taking really bad teams and making them respectable.  I don’t think you could go wrong with either Lemaire or Babcock.  But I’d still take Lemaire and Trotz over Babcock as I think they have done very well with a LOT less talent.

59. newbrunswick troy says:

Ok i,m just home now from my trip to Montreal….seen both games from up in the nose bleeds, that said i couldn,t help but want to vent (from my vast hockey knowledge)

1- Spacec is fat,slow and the game has totaly passed him by (but i still love hearing him talk in interviews)

2-Hamrlik is slow – but very smart with puck , an asset (manage minuites on ice)

3- Gill- steady and is well suited with P.K

4 P.k is exactly what this team needs – seems like habs only have chance to score if he,s on ice!

5- Picard & Weber – made severe errors almost every shift ( ticking timebomb )

6- Kostitsyn is an absolute waiste of capspace!!! has a great shot but won,t skate to get chance to use it!!

7- Gomez – not worth 8mil., but works hard & always competes does set up good plays (keep him)

8 Gio & Plecs – both are the heart & soul of this team!!! period end of story

9- Pac is doing great !! Desharnie (or however u spell it) has to work 100% (way too small for even 90%)

10- Price is a true elite goalie no doubt about it

11- Everybody else just fills up space – i mean i love moen (but he can,t pass the puck & can,t pick up pass)

the rest are like that too!!! I was kind of creeped out how Darche would sit on bench before game so that people could just look at him and take pictures?????? kinda vain eh??

Anyway thats just the way i saw it …maybe if someone gave me tickets to the next two games– i would see it different again!!!

Oh p.s  who the hell pays $10 for a beer—well i did 5 times!!!

He’s certainly one of the best. I was really miffed when he left Montreal. It’s disheartening.

61. The Cat says:

I just googled it. I should have before but it was 1 000 000 of which 425 000 was to go to his parents for what was said to be ‘loosely defined’ consulting fees lol

62. Chris says:

After watching both Habs games this weekend (I don’t have regular TV access at the moment, so this weekend was a treat), I have to point out that P.K. Subban makes as many mistakes, if not more, as any other Habs defenceman.  He is a joy to watch, but he remains raw.  I posted the stat that he and Gorges gave up the most even strength goals of any D-men on the team, and after focussing on Subban this weekend, I saw why…he makes a LOT of rookie mistakes, both in his own end and with some very ill-timed or risky pinches.

That being said, I’m very happy with the development of both Weber and Subban.  They are both needed ingredients moving forwards, and it is great to see the two of them developing in the NHL.  The Habs are very fortunate.

63. The Cat says:

I dont get it, Ive certainly read worse about Gomez on here, yet Todd doesnt seem to be allowed to say much of the same. All in all I rarely read Todd. When I want truth about the habs, I go to the french media…Flame on bitches ^_^

64. Mark C says:

If your theory of games getting tighter as the season goes along is true, won’t it be true for all teams and not just Montreal?

Based on last’s year’s numbers, Montreal’s offensive production did decrease from the regular season to the playoffs by 0.14 GPG, or 11 goals over 82 games. Based on your theory being right, I would guess that a decrease of 0.14 GPG is at least average and maybe even a good number.

65. punkster says:

Scott Gomez.

Discuss.

***Subbang!!!***

Awesome post. I agree 100%. Except for the part about Gomez.

67. Jordio-oh says:

I respect that you take a stand and write about what you believe in, but you lose strength when you can’t resist adding things in like “carey-loving horde”. The fact that your Halakian undertones are still showing through months after we traded him away are as entertaining as they are sad. Additionally,  criticism of Gomez is entirely fair but people take exception when you call a veteran player like Gomez a spoiled, petulant child. Todd has never been eloquent in his writing (in fact there’s nothing about him that makes me think he’s a good writer) but i still expect a better choice of words from him.

68. BoomBoom says:

Not blaming the refs for yesterday’s loss but it was another example of sub-standard referring that is becoming all too common especially for Habs games. Yesterday’s duo of Justin St.Pierre and Kevin Pollack were crap and let a lot of things go.  By the way, Justin St.Pierre is becoming the new Chris Lee. I don’t know if he is trying to prove that as a French Canadian, he doesn’t favor the Habs but he tends to go against the Habs in most of his calls a la Chris Lee. St.Pierre who in 7 years in the league has never, NEVER officiated a NHL playoff game. Why is this guy still ref in the NHL if after 7 years he’s not considered good enough to officiate a first round playoff game. Final note, just once, I’d like to see Jacques Martin blow up at the refs like Lindy Ruff. Since he’s not known for that, blowing up at the ref early in the 2nd period could see calls go the Habs way for a change.

69. avatar_58 says:

Scott Gomez? Scott Gomez Scott Gomez! Gomez? Scott! Scott Gomez? Gomez, Scott, Scott Gomez Gomez? Gomez? GOMEZ! GOOOOOOO MEZ! Scott Gomez Scott Gomez Scott Gomez Scott Gomez Scott Gomez!

Scott Gomez

70. Oddball says:

Sorry my mistake, I thought we were talking about the “worst trade ever” as mentioned in the original comment, not some make-believe, genie-in-a-bottle, could a, should a, would a, scenario.

Tell you what, why don’t you make up an imaginary deal, you know, the one Gainey should have made. Then I’ll be able to “keep it coming” just like you asked.

It feels good helping out the less fortunate.

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

71. adamkennelly says:

my game analysis…our D could not handle the aggressive NJ forecheck, they scored 2 goals and then they did to us what we did to the Caps and Pens in the playoffs last year.

also – the refing was terrible..missed a bunch of calls both ways..those two are clowns.

72. JohnBellyful says:

Typical Punkster. Goes on and on and on and on…………..and on and on and on

73. Shiloh says:

There’s nothing Halakian about my post. I have been a regular here for a good long while and it has been my experience that most players on the team can be spoken of in less-than-kind terms – but should one dare to imply that Price has had a bad game, or even shift, the wrath of the horde descends.

It’s like a bizarre exercise in groupthink sometimes. Price – good. AK46 – bad. But when the name ‘Todd’ appears, the drooling haters begin to writhe and snarl – almost on cue. They appear to delight in trying to outdo each other in their venomous ejaculations. It’s sort of humourous in a way – but very sad in so many other ways.

Todd is widely considered to be one of North America’s best sportswriters. His columns often transcend his subject matter – have a look at the one he wrote on Tiger Woods last year – or any he produced on the Turin Olympics. Lately, he’s down to one column a week as he pursues his other career as a novelist – and these columns are generally less thematic than the ones he produced in the past.

I understand that there may be some “need” on the part of posters to suck up to Boone and Stubbs by dissing their colleague, but that is just sad. In fact, Boone went a tad over the line in that regard a few months back and the site was promptly scrubbed.

You can tell me that Gomez is great or that he stinks – or that PK should be traded for a Zamboni tire. That’s a hockey argument where we can exchange views. But when you venture into the territory of critique of writing, even if you detest the ground he walks on, you must recognize Todd’s ability – there’s no argument about that unless you are totally ignorant of the subject.

74. punkster says: