BeDevilled again

Same old same old, despite an early exit by Martin F. Brodeur

Pat Hickey’s game story

Gill takes blame for first goal

Price moving up in record book

Devils brought their A-game

About yesterday afternoon …

Jack Todd on Gomez

• Arpon Basu on good 2011 stats

Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

• Brendan Kelly on Nos Canadiens

1. JohnBellyful says:

and on and on and on

2. JohnBellyful says:

Suckiness? Spoof? What’s that I hear? A rerun! From last Tuesday:

Submitted by JohnBellyful on Tue, 02/01/2011 – 11:53.

The Guardian Project: Canadien

Episode One: Front Row Seat … to Death

Canadien and his sidekick, Sacre Bleu, stand vigil high atop a skyscraper, watching over the great metropolis and its metropolits. The wail of a poutine delivery truck siren pierces the clamour of downtown traffic. Sacre Bleu follow its path and then excitedly points to the corner of a small city park, exclaiming: “Can’, look, it’s The Scalper!”

Canadien unplugs his EhPod. The Pretty Good Hits of Robert Charlebois would have to wait another time. “You’re right, SB! Let’s nab him!”

Canadien rockets to street level. Sacre Bleu, propelled by his cursing a blue streak, races down the side of the building and joins his partner as he is moves in on their unsuspecting foe.

But just as Canadien is about to clip him with a high stick, he collapses, clutching his throat, gasping. The Scalper turns and his look of fear immediately turns to triumph when he realizes the fallen superhero is choking like the Bruins.

Alarmed, Sacre Bleu opens his foul mouth to unleash a torrent of abuse but nothing comes out. The Scalper is holding up a platinum ticket to the Habs game that night, for just $150. SB knows it’s bogus but he’s overwhelmed by the thought of snaring a great seat for peanuts. His vituperative powers rendered impotent – as useless as the Islanders protecting a rare lead – the sidekick slumps to the ground.

“Can’, do something! I should be hurling $%#&%#*& at that creep but I can’t even muster a #@*. That deal is too good to get mad about. But you, you’re better than that. What’s wrong?”

Canadien grabs Sacre Bleu by the tunic and pulls him close to his face. Fighting for breath, his chest heaving, his voice no more than a whisper, he asks: “Sacre, …who is….. the team ……playing ….. tonight?”

“Toronto.”

Canadien turns his head and closes his eyes. “We’re …….doomed,” he says, his voice fading fast. ”Doomed.”

“Why, Can’, why?”

“You … forget … mon ami. My powers … are drawn … from … the … nearest Guardian …and…………then …… enhanced……. Maple Leaf…….must……be….here…He’s….the…biggest…..Guardian …of…us…all……and….like …. his …team …………he ….. sucks…..big time…..And …now…..I……am.. too……only… worse.”

A shadow envelops the helpless pair. The Scalper looms over them, about to collect a trophy from the mightiest superhero of all. He raises his ticket price and

TO BE CONTINUED

Episode Two: Curse of the Zamboni

3. Shiloh says:

How insightful.

4. HabFanSince72 says:

Todd is widely considered to be one of Nort America’s best sportswriters.

You’re mistaking him for Michael Farber.

Figures you’d be into the poop scoop.

Nice catch.

7. ZepFan2 says:

You have Scott to be kidding me.

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~

Todd is the Gazette’s token draft dodger.

9. patience is a virtue says:

Chicken or Egg?  Tough Dec road games or brutal Dec slump?

I’m not sure which caused which, but I am sure that outside of the terrible stretch from Dec 10-30 the Habs are one of the winningest teams in the league this season – at home AND on the road.  If the poor road performance in Dec was more slump than structure/if they do well on the road in Feb-Mar, little doubt can remain that they are contenders.

10. ZepFan2 says:

“He takes a stand on Ben the Rapist

When was he convicted again?

And thanks for the laff. Jack Todd and “good writing”, now that’s hilarious.

Oh…you were serious…hahahahahahahahahaha

11. HabsFansince49 says:

Not often I agree with every word a journalist writes about the Habs, but Jack Todd’s article on Gutless Gomez is right on.  He is a total embarrassment to the organization; thank God, we have many much better players and people.

Suck hot? Go amaze!

13. Jordio-oh says:

“But when you venture into the territory of critique of writing, even if you detest the ground he walks on, you must recognize Todd’s ability – there’s no argument about that unless you are totally ignorant of the subject.”

I’m sorry, but that’s just not true. It isn’t. I don’t hate jack todd at all, i just don’t like his writing style. There are many many journalists that do what he does but they do it better. How should i recognize his ability when i don’t think there is much ability there to recognize? I understand he’s journalist for a reason, but beyond his position as a paid journalist for a reputable publication, there isn’t much more to recognize or celebrate. Nothing about Todd’s writing is clever and insightful. Its mostly just one-sided arguments for the purpose of provocation.

14. Psycho29 says:

The Gazette is a fantastic newspaper.

But then Jock Toad turns it into the National Enquirer…

15. Shiloh says:

And are you our token Tourette’s?

16. Shiloh says:

Uh, no – nice fumble. you are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

17. Propwash says:

Todd just loves to go with the flow. He was throwing Price under the bus last season, and this year, he admitted he was wrong. Kudos to him, but Jack Todd writes opinions more often than not rather than actual facts.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

Unfortunately there are no translators that convert English into Idiot. You’re stuck wondering.

19. Mark C says:

Montreal has been a good road team minus the chicken or egg slump. I think their road record outside of the 9 road stretch is 11-4-1, I think this team should be at least okay on the road the rest of the way. Last year this team only won one more home than road game, then won some big playoff road games.

20. Mark C says:

If what Gomez did yesterday was a “total embarrassment to the organization,” what do you call what the guy in the middle of your picture did years ago?

Do even know what that means?

22. The Cat says:

zing!

23. avatar_58 says:

Everyone bitches that Martin never yells at the refs – Gomez does and suddenly he’s the devil. What a bunch of hypocrites.

24. Shiloh says:

Oh – but there is a very simple way to produce idiocy. Just write under the byline HardHabits. Check the meds, bud – Tourette’s is manageable.

25. andrewberkshire says:

No kidding, its beyond ridiculous. At this point it doesn’t matter what Gomez does, whatever it is that action happens to be the worst thing he could do. Nevermind that he was our best forward on the weekend.

26. andrewberkshire says:

Game, set, match.

27. fbkj says:

okay mr. facts over opinions, please cite how “Todd is widely considered to be one of North America’s best sportswriters.” is “fact”?

28. fbkj says:

tl;dr

but kudos nonetheless

29. joeybarrie says:

I can see why you have no response or anything to say in rebuttal… It’s what I expected.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

30. Shiloh says:

Wasn’t the Rocket’s stick swinging also an embarrassment to the organization?

31. observer says:

You mean the Huffington Post!

32. fbkj says:

i like the part when the coach got mad at the ref

33. Bill H says:

Thanks Ian. I always look forward to your weekly summary.

34. Shiloh says:

Joe – we’re just not on the same page. Gomer is actually playing better- as you point out in another comment, but he’d have to play like Crosby to justify that contract – which he would have been crazy not to sign, mind you. I thought Todd was over the top regarding Gomer – especially because Gomer had excellent reason to call out that idiotic referee and the game was over – but can’t a writer produce something we disagree with without bringing out a flotilla of hateful loons?

35. fbkj says:

you mean the drudge report

yay

36. andrewberkshire says:

Considering Todd is barely known by anyone outside of Montreal, and among media here he’s considered a pariah… Who exactly in North America is saying he’s an excellent sportswriter? I wonder where Shiloh is getting these statistics, especially when I counted about 8 spelling and grammatical mistakes in Todd’s very short article.

The guy is considered a joke among his peers, barely read by anyone besides his haters who want something new to complain about, yet he’s “widely considered to be one of North America’s best sportswriters”… By who?

37. Bill H says:

Great post Chris.  I enjoyed Arpon’s article too, but I didn’t look at it in light of the valid points you have raised.  JM does like to match lines and does it well.  He can’t do that on the road.

38. observer says:

No! I mean that or any leftist one which is what Todd does to his ‘sports’ column – turning it into his political idealogy.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Anaheim, 2003. SCFs with the Underdog team and Babcock got it to Game 7.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

40. fbkj says:

the fact that you use the word leftist is amazing

well done

partisan division, we need more of that in this country, anything else drummed up by american pundits would you care to import into our backyards?

leftist?

observer, grow up!

41. fbkj says:

he shops at my provigo and lives in greenfield park

GREENFIELD PARK

nobody respected for ANYTHING lives in GREENFIELD PARK

42. Chris says:

Whole-heartedly agree. This is why I’m waiting to see what they do over the next month. The Habs have frankly surprised me this season, as I honestly didn’t expect them to be sitting this high in the standings while trying to work a number of rookies into the line-up.

The scheduling gods were nice to the Habs this year…no crazy road spells thus far. But unlike last season, the team is doing well against everybody.

Against the bottom 8 in the league as of today, the Habs are 13-7-2. Against the top 8, they are a very respectable 8-8-1. and against everybody else, they are 9-4-2. So the team’s record is “for real”…it is not being artificially padded by playing ridiculously well against crappy opponents while getting beat up by quality opponents. A .500 record against the top teams in the NHL is very good, and basically indicates they have a shot against everybody. Except perhaps Philadelphia. 🙂

43. andrewberkshire says:

Weird, that’s my favourite part too!

44. ZepFan2 says:

“Check the meds, bud – Tourette’s is manageable.”

Speaking from experience, are we?

45. andrewberkshire says:

According to your hero, Jack Todd… Yes.

46. Mark C says:

Correction, Jack Todd would have wanted the Rocket to be kicked out of the league. At least that would be consistent with his thinking that Ben Roethlisberger shouldn’t have been playing yesterday.

Nice try at an an insult but it just proves that you really are a douchebag.

Tourette’s is a pretty awful disorder to have. I wouldn’t make fun of it. How on earth would a person even think  another would have it via the written word?

Moreso and as has been proven here on numerous occasions I am articulate and well written. I will attest that I am equally capable of being so in public when speaking.

Yes I can swear like a drunken sailor if I want to. I can also control myself and after working in the public for decades I’d be without a job if I couldn’t.

Dumb-ass! That was intended. No tic there.

48. Chris says:

Winning 1 National Newspaper Award for sports writing and being nominated 3 times overall indicates that his peers have some respect for his work.

Red Fisher and Michael Farber have both won it twice in their careers. It’s not the easiest award in the world to get. 🙂

Andrew, I am not baiting, but really… he was our best forward?! How badly did the team suck that he ended up to be “the best”?

50. andrewberkshire says:

I was gonna say, depending on the severity Tourette’s is not that manageable. I have a cousin who has it and his life has been sh**.

You’re an embarrassment to these pages. Thankfully we have many much better posters here.

52. andrewberkshire says:

What Roethlisberger was accused of was a much more serious crime, although by his logic Jack Todd should be railing against Kristian Huselius and Henrik Tallinder every column for being aloud to play in this league.

53. OneTimer says:

fbkj, you’re in my top 2 favorite posters around here

54. andrewberkshire says:

Well we split a set of back to back games, so the team didn’t suck, but there wasn’t much offense to be had, and on both goals that were scored on goalies, Gomez either scored or set it up. Who would you say was better?

55. fbkj says:

i just cant stand partisan talking points, especially in canada… especially on a HOCKEY BLOG

but thanks

56. andrewberkshire says:

Let me clarify that by peers, I should have written colleagues, as I was referring to Gazette writers. As for the National Newspaper Award, good for him, although listing Red Fisher and Michael Farber as other recipients makes me think they have bad taste in choosing winners. And let’s be clear that Shiloh stated NORTH AMERICA, not Canada. Winning a Canadian only award is great, but that accounts for what… 7% of the population of North America off the top of my head. Less?

57. Chris says:

Todd does not rail about Rothlisberger in every column.  He railed about him in this one because it was topical.

Who knows if Huselius and Tallinder would draw Todd’s wrath if their team’s were in the Stanley Cup finals and they were drawing a lot of media attention?  I certainly don’t.

58. andrewberkshire says:

He even tries to get Playfair to calm down by grabbing him and pulling him back a little. What an embarrassment.

59. Mark C says:

I had forgotten about that story.

60. fbkj says:

tourette’s isnt without its lulz however

61. Chris says:

A total embarrasment to the organization. There can be no condoning of what Richard did all those years ago. Richard’s treatment of on-ice officials was one of the things he did that tarnished his legacy.

62. observer says:

i think deserting your own country’s army makes you incapable of criticizing any other person’s morals!

63. Chris says:

He only writes one column per week.  In that column, he touches on hockey, baseball and football.  He often delves into other sports, but those have long been his big three.

I don’t know how often Roethlisberger is in his zeros, but he wasn’t there on January 10.  And I give Todd props for being one of the few “mainstream” journalists that routinely tries to give some credit to other sports.  He routinely includes athletes from various Olympic sports, in addtion to the usual suspects from the NFL, CFL, NHL and MLB.  He usually leave the NBA alone.

64. fbkj says:

-todd uses his gazette sports column to push his leftist ideas

EXPLAIN!

-cherry uses cbc to push his right wing ones

agreed, he perpetuates a dialogue that WE DO NOT NEED UP HERE, much like you are doing

-melnick on montreal sports radio too does it for his pro-leftist simpleton ideas

again explain, also why throw in the word simpleton, the tone of this thread would suggest you were trying to come off as, what do they call it in the states, centrist?

-and certain parts of the francophone sports media also do it for their political obsession.

they do what? push a “leftist” agenda?

65. avatar_58 says:

There is no left or right in Canada. We’re ALL left. No one follows “right” wing american politics up here. Voting conservative means you are still “left” in the eyes of the southern folks.

66. fbkj says:

he didnt desert his country’s army, he was drafted to go to war, he didnt sign any contract

this is the ONE thing i respect todd for

edit: you are right, i was wrong, he wasnt drafted, he did desert the army, k that changes things

67. longbow says:

He doesn’t seem to disagree with peoples opinions.He rather disagrees with peoples right to have them.

68. Shiloh says:

No way – you’re one of a kind.

69. fbkj says:

interesting… thats a lot of grey…

70. Shiloh says:

Jack Todd is not my hero, Andrew, but he’s a very good writer.

71. Shiloh says:

Retreat!!! Run away!!! Oh no, facts!!! Arrrgggghhhh! The facts are coming to get me.

72. Chris says:

Yeah, I would have liked to see him stay in Anaheim and continue building. Winning a Stanley Cup with Detroit is kind of like winning a World Series with the Yankees…your odds always go up. 🙂

73. olematelot says:

I think senility has set in