BeDevilled again

Same old same old, despite an early exit by Martin F. Brodeur

Pat Hickey’s game story

Gill takes blame for first goal

Price moving up in record book

Devils brought their A-game

About yesterday afternoon …

Jack Todd on Gomez

• Arpon Basu on good 2011 stats

Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

• Brendan Kelly on Nos Canadiens

1. JohnBellyful says:

and on and on and on

2. JohnBellyful says:

Suckiness? Spoof? What’s that I hear? A rerun! From last Tuesday:

Submitted by JohnBellyful on Tue, 02/01/2011 – 11:53.

The Guardian Project: Canadien

Episode One: Front Row Seat … to Death

Canadien and his sidekick, Sacre Bleu, stand vigil high atop a skyscraper, watching over the great metropolis and its metropolits. The wail of a poutine delivery truck siren pierces the clamour of downtown traffic. Sacre Bleu follow its path and then excitedly points to the corner of a small city park, exclaiming: “Can’, look, it’s The Scalper!”

Canadien unplugs his EhPod. The Pretty Good Hits of Robert Charlebois would have to wait another time. “You’re right, SB! Let’s nab him!”

Canadien rockets to street level. Sacre Bleu, propelled by his cursing a blue streak, races down the side of the building and joins his partner as he is moves in on their unsuspecting foe.

But just as Canadien is about to clip him with a high stick, he collapses, clutching his throat, gasping. The Scalper turns and his look of fear immediately turns to triumph when he realizes the fallen superhero is choking like the Bruins.

Alarmed, Sacre Bleu opens his foul mouth to unleash a torrent of abuse but nothing comes out. The Scalper is holding up a platinum ticket to the Habs game that night, for just $150. SB knows it’s bogus but he’s overwhelmed by the thought of snaring a great seat for peanuts. His vituperative powers rendered impotent – as useless as the Islanders protecting a rare lead – the sidekick slumps to the ground.

“Can’, do something! I should be hurling $%#&%#*& at that creep but I can’t even muster a #@*. That deal is too good to get mad about. But you, you’re better than that. What’s wrong?”

Canadien grabs Sacre Bleu by the tunic and pulls him close to his face. Fighting for breath, his chest heaving, his voice no more than a whisper, he asks: “Sacre, …who is….. the team ……playing ….. tonight?”

“Toronto.”

Canadien turns his head and closes his eyes. “We’re …….doomed,” he says, his voice fading fast. ”Doomed.”

“Why, Can’, why?”

“You … forget … mon ami. My powers … are drawn … from … the … nearest Guardian …and…………then …… enhanced……. Maple Leaf…….must……be….here…He’s….the…biggest…..Guardian …of…us…all……and….like …. his …team …………he ….. sucks…..big time…..And …now…..I……am.. too……only… worse.”

A shadow envelops the helpless pair. The Scalper looms over them, about to collect a trophy from the mightiest superhero of all. He raises his ticket price and

TO BE CONTINUED

Episode Two: Curse of the Zamboni

3. Shiloh says:

How insightful.

4. HabFanSince72 says:

Todd is widely considered to be one of Nort America’s best sportswriters.

You’re mistaking him for Michael Farber.

Figures you’d be into the poop scoop.

Nice catch.

7. ZepFan2 says:

You have Scott to be kidding me.

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~

Todd is the Gazette’s token draft dodger.

9. patience is a virtue says:

Chicken or Egg?  Tough Dec road games or brutal Dec slump?

I’m not sure which caused which, but I am sure that outside of the terrible stretch from Dec 10-30 the Habs are one of the winningest teams in the league this season – at home AND on the road.  If the poor road performance in Dec was more slump than structure/if they do well on the road in Feb-Mar, little doubt can remain that they are contenders.

10. ZepFan2 says:

“He takes a stand on Ben the Rapist

When was he convicted again?

And thanks for the laff. Jack Todd and “good writing”, now that’s hilarious.

Oh…you were serious…hahahahahahahahahaha

11. HabsFansince49 says:

Not often I agree with every word a journalist writes about the Habs, but Jack Todd’s article on Gutless Gomez is right on.  He is a total embarrassment to the organization; thank God, we have many much better players and people.

Suck hot? Go amaze!

13. Jordio-oh says:

“But when you venture into the territory of critique of writing, even if you detest the ground he walks on, you must recognize Todd’s ability – there’s no argument about that unless you are totally ignorant of the subject.”

I’m sorry, but that’s just not true. It isn’t. I don’t hate jack todd at all, i just don’t like his writing style. There are many many journalists that do what he does but they do it better. How should i recognize his ability when i don’t think there is much ability there to recognize? I understand he’s journalist for a reason, but beyond his position as a paid journalist for a reputable publication, there isn’t much more to recognize or celebrate. Nothing about Todd’s writing is clever and insightful. Its mostly just one-sided arguments for the purpose of provocation.

14. Psycho29 says:

The Gazette is a fantastic newspaper.

But then Jock Toad turns it into the National Enquirer…

15. Shiloh says:

And are you our token Tourette’s?

16. Shiloh says:

Uh, no – nice fumble. you are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

17. Propwash says:

Todd just loves to go with the flow. He was throwing Price under the bus last season, and this year, he admitted he was wrong. Kudos to him, but Jack Todd writes opinions more often than not rather than actual facts.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

Unfortunately there are no translators that convert English into Idiot. You’re stuck wondering.

19. Mark C says:

Montreal has been a good road team minus the chicken or egg slump. I think their road record outside of the 9 road stretch is 11-4-1, I think this team should be at least okay on the road the rest of the way. Last year this team only won one more home than road game, then won some big playoff road games.

20. Mark C says:

If what Gomez did yesterday was a “total embarrassment to the organization,” what do you call what the guy in the middle of your picture did years ago?

Do even know what that means?

22. The Cat says:

zing!

23. avatar_58 says:

Everyone bitches that Martin never yells at the refs – Gomez does and suddenly he’s the devil. What a bunch of hypocrites.

24. Shiloh says:

Oh – but there is a very simple way to produce idiocy. Just write under the byline HardHabits. Check the meds, bud – Tourette’s is manageable.

25. andrewberkshire says:

No kidding, its beyond ridiculous. At this point it doesn’t matter what Gomez does, whatever it is that action happens to be the worst thing he could do. Nevermind that he was our best forward on the weekend.

26. andrewberkshire says:

Game, set, match.

27. fbkj says:

okay mr. facts over opinions, please cite how “Todd is widely considered to be one of North America’s best sportswriters.” is “fact”?

28. fbkj says:

tl;dr

but kudos nonetheless

29. joeybarrie says:

I can see why you have no response or anything to say in rebuttal… It’s what I expected.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

30. Shiloh says:

Wasn’t the Rocket’s stick swinging also an embarrassment to the organization?

31. observer says:

You mean the Huffington Post!

32. fbkj says:

i like the part when the coach got mad at the ref

33. Bill H says:

Thanks Ian. I always look forward to your weekly summary.

34. Shiloh says:

Joe – we’re just not on the same page. Gomer is actually playing better- as you point out in another comment, but he’d have to play like Crosby to justify that contract – which he would have been crazy not to sign, mind you. I thought Todd was over the top regarding Gomer – especially because Gomer had excellent reason to call out that idiotic referee and the game was over – but can’t a writer produce something we disagree with without bringing out a flotilla of hateful loons?

35. fbkj says:

you mean the drudge report

yay

36. andrewberkshire says:

Considering Todd is barely known by anyone outside of Montreal, and among media here he’s considered a pariah… Who exactly in North America is saying he’s an excellent sportswriter? I wonder where Shiloh is getting these statistics, especially when I counted about 8 spelling and grammatical mistakes in Todd’s very short article.

The guy is considered a joke among his peers, barely read by anyone besides his haters who want something new to complain about, yet he’s “widely considered to be one of North America’s best sportswriters”… By who?

37. Bill H says:

Great post Chris.  I enjoyed Arpon’s article too, but I didn’t look at it in light of the valid points you have raised.  JM does like to match lines and does it well.  He can’t do that on the road.

38. observer says:

No! I mean that or any leftist one which is what Todd does to his ‘sports’ column – turning it into his political idealogy.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Anaheim, 2003. SCFs with the Underdog team and Babcock got it to Game 7.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

40. fbkj says:

the fact that you use the word leftist is amazing

well done

partisan division, we need more of that in this country, anything else drummed up by american pundits would you care to import into our backyards?

leftist?

observer, grow up!

41. fbkj says:

he shops at my provigo and lives in greenfield park

GREENFIELD PARK

nobody respected for ANYTHING lives in GREENFIELD PARK

42. Chris says:

Whole-heartedly agree. This is why I’m waiting to see what they do over the next month. The Habs have frankly surprised me this season, as I honestly didn’t expect them to be sitting this high in the standings while trying to work a number of rookies into the line-up.

The scheduling gods were nice to the Habs this year…no crazy road spells thus far. But unlike last season, the team is doing well against everybody.

Against the bottom 8 in the league as of today, the Habs are 13-7-2. Against the top 8, they are a very respectable 8-8-1. and against everybody else, they are 9-4-2. So the team’s record is “for real”…it is not being artificially padded by playing ridiculously well against crappy opponents while getting beat up by quality opponents. A .500 record against the top teams in the NHL is very good, and basically indicates they have a shot against everybody. Except perhaps Philadelphia. :)

43. andrewberkshire says:

Weird, that’s my favourite part too!

44. ZepFan2 says:

“Check the meds, bud – Tourette’s is manageable.”

Speaking from experience, are we?

45. andrewberkshire says:

According to your hero, Jack Todd… Yes.

46. Mark C says:

Correction, Jack Todd would have wanted the Rocket to be kicked out of the league. At least that would be consistent with his thinking that Ben Roethlisberger shouldn’t have been playing yesterday.

Nice try at an an insult but it just proves that you really are a douchebag.

Tourette’s is a pretty awful disorder to have. I wouldn’t make fun of it. How on earth would a person even think  another would have it via the written word?

Moreso and as has been proven here on numerous occasions I am articulate and well written. I will attest that I am equally capable of being so in public when speaking.

Yes I can swear like a drunken sailor if I want to. I can also control myself and after working in the public for decades I’d be without a job if I couldn’t.

Dumb-ass! That was intended. No tic there.

48. Chris says:

Winning 1 National Newspaper Award for sports writing and being nominated 3 times overall indicates that his peers have some respect for his work.

Red Fisher and Michael Farber have both won it twice in their careers. It’s not the easiest award in the world to get. :)

Andrew, I am not baiting, but really… he was our best forward?! How badly did the team suck that he ended up to be “the best”?

50. andrewberkshire says:

I was gonna say, depending on the severity Tourette’s is not that manageable. I have a cousin who has it and his life has been sh**.

You’re an embarrassment to these pages. Thankfully we have many much better posters here.

52. andrewberkshire says:

What Roethlisberger was accused of was a much more serious crime, although by his logic Jack Todd should be railing against Kristian Huselius and Henrik Tallinder every column for being aloud to play in this league.

53. OneTimer says:

fbkj, you’re in my top 2 favorite posters around here

54. andrewberkshire says:

Well we split a set of back to back games, so the team didn’t suck, but there wasn’t much offense to be had, and on both goals that were scored on goalies, Gomez either scored or set it up. Who would you say was better?

55. fbkj says:

i just cant stand partisan talking points, especially in canada… especially on a HOCKEY BLOG

but thanks

56. andrewberkshire says:

Let me clarify that by peers, I should have written colleagues, as I was referring to Gazette writers. As for the National Newspaper Award, good for him, although listing Red Fisher and Michael Farber as other recipients makes me think they have bad taste in choosing winners. And let’s be clear that Shiloh stated NORTH AMERICA, not Canada. Winning a Canadian only award is great, but that accounts for what… 7% of the population of North America off the top of my head. Less?

57. Chris says:

Todd does not rail about Rothlisberger in every column.  He railed about him in this one because it was topical.

Who knows if Huselius and Tallinder would draw Todd’s wrath if their team’s were in the Stanley Cup finals and they were drawing a lot of media attention?  I certainly don’t.

58. andrewberkshire says:

He even tries to get Playfair to calm down by grabbing him and pulling him back a little. What an embarrassment.

59. Mark C says:

I had forgotten about that story.

60. fbkj says:

tourette’s isnt without its lulz however

61. Chris says:

A total embarrasment to the organization. There can be no condoning of what Richard did all those years ago. Richard’s treatment of on-ice officials was one of the things he did that tarnished his legacy.

62. observer says:

i think deserting your own country’s army makes you incapable of criticizing any other person’s morals!

63. Chris says:

He only writes one column per week.  In that column, he touches on hockey, baseball and football.  He often delves into other sports, but those have long been his big three.

I don’t know how often Roethlisberger is in his zeros, but he wasn’t there on January 10.  And I give Todd props for being one of the few “mainstream” journalists that routinely tries to give some credit to other sports.  He routinely includes athletes from various Olympic sports, in addtion to the usual suspects from the NFL, CFL, NHL and MLB.  He usually leave the NBA alone.

64. fbkj says:

-todd uses his gazette sports column to push his leftist ideas

EXPLAIN!

-cherry uses cbc to push his right wing ones

agreed, he perpetuates a dialogue that WE DO NOT NEED UP HERE, much like you are doing

-melnick on montreal sports radio too does it for his pro-leftist simpleton ideas

again explain, also why throw in the word simpleton, the tone of this thread would suggest you were trying to come off as, what do they call it in the states, centrist?

-and certain parts of the francophone sports media also do it for their political obsession.

they do what? push a “leftist” agenda?

65. avatar_58 says:

There is no left or right in Canada. We’re ALL left. No one follows “right” wing american politics up here. Voting conservative means you are still “left” in the eyes of the southern folks.

66. fbkj says:

he didnt desert his country’s army, he was drafted to go to war, he didnt sign any contract

this is the ONE thing i respect todd for

edit: you are right, i was wrong, he wasnt drafted, he did desert the army, k that changes things

67. longbow says:

He doesn’t seem to disagree with peoples opinions.He rather disagrees with peoples right to have them.

68. Shiloh says:

No way – you’re one of a kind.

69. fbkj says:

interesting… thats a lot of grey…

70. Shiloh says:

Jack Todd is not my hero, Andrew, but he’s a very good writer.

71. Shiloh says:

Retreat!!! Run away!!! Oh no, facts!!! Arrrgggghhhh! The facts are coming to get me.

72. Chris says:

Yeah, I would have liked to see him stay in Anaheim and continue building. Winning a Stanley Cup with Detroit is kind of like winning a World Series with the Yankees…your odds always go up. :)

73. olematelot says:

I think senility has set in

74. Oddball says:

I don’t mean to burst your bubble, Don, but Tony doesn’t cheer for the Habs, he whines about them.

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

75. habstrinifan says:

With all the injuries’ allotment I am sure we have the money to fit him in this year. And PG can reshuffle the cards in summer. I think a guy like Iginla this year makes us a contender.

If you look at the league, the Cup may be up for grabs. I dont see Canucks being as dominant a team as their record shows and if we have Iginla, then we will be a different team when we play Philly.

76. A. Berke says:

Flames are chasing a playoff spot (they’re short of 1 point) and there’s no way (here on earth or in hell) that they’re going to trade him away. Besides where’s the money to keep him for next year?

Just saying.

Ali B.

77. habstrinifan says:

Lots of talk couple weeks ago on Antichambre re Weiss. And also rumours from Eklund(dont say I believe Eklund).

I hope JM is not pursuing Weiss. Nothing suggests he is anything but similar to the type of forwards that we currently have. Average points producing. And he is too small to set the tone of any game requiring pushback. And also wont command the room’s attention we need from the guy we next trade for.

No Weiss please!

I would love the pair of Chis Neil and Chris Phillips from Ottawa… unless we can get someone like Iginla.

78. Habitoban says:

Thats active Habs of course.

HI/O posters like to talk about Regehr but I wonder if the Flames aren’t trying to make the playoffs this eyar.  There are about 11 teams that are no more than ten points apart out West.  I can’t see that many being sellers.

If they do trade, I think they will be after a centre to go with Iginla.

Cammy isn’t going to bring in any offers with his $6M contract.  I haven’t given up on Pouliot (who isn’t expensive), and I’m even starting to wonder about AK46.

It’s funny how the game plays out.  AK and Gomez are my least favourite Habs but they are playing some great hockey right now.  Gomez was our best forward yesterday but it appears nobody agrees with me (I think the Todd article was written before the game was played).

80. Habitoban says:

And Benny is also second among active players in “Hits.”

81. Mark C says:

I would disagree about Montreal having an excess of forwards. By virtue of not have an elite number one line, Montreal counts on having three scoring lines just to gain enough offensive output. I don’t know why a team 25th in goals and 6th in goals against, should be trading forwards for defensemen unless there is another move made to bring in another forward (this is not to say the defense cannot/should be improved).

Right now, Edm, Tor, NJ, Ott, the Isles and Florida are out of the playoffs.

I looked at their rosters and really couldn’t see anyone who would be able to log top six Dman minutes on a long-term playoff run basis.  I think you also have to keep in mind that the Wiz ain’t no wiz in his own end.  Whoever we bring in, will have to be able to cover up the turnovers and brain cramps.

Maybe we should be looking at something bigger in terms of a deal where the incoming player may stay for more than just a few months.  We’re going to have to do a total defensive re-build next year so why not start now.  The only problem is that the price just went up when you are trading for a guy who isn’t a UFA.

83. mbplekfan says:

We have excess forwards when Cammaleri comes back and it may be time to trade him or AK to acquire the defenceman we need. Pouliot could be given top line minutes with either Gomez or Pleks and see how he fares for the rest of the season.

84. mbplekfan says:

I would suggest adding a big, bruising top four defenceman to play with wiz and use the Czechs as the bottom pairing in terms of minutes. Hammer and Spacek are very good if they are limited to 15 minutes a night.

We need additional toughness on the back end (alas poor OB) and someone who can clear the crease. Someone like Robin Regehr.

Then for next year we have Markov and the newcomer in the top pairing, Subban and Gorges in 3-4, and Wiz and Spacek in the bottom pair. Weber sent off in the trade of course.

85. andrewberkshire says:

As I already stated, if I was differentiating his hockey writing from other writing, how in the world is it even possible for me to imply that his overall writing skill is different from that when writing in a certain subject.

Grow the **** up already.

86. Mark C says:

Right now he’s averaging 2 goals every 10 games, while just getting a mere 12 minutes a game. You are selling his upside way short.  Right now Benny is 3rd on the team in goals per 60 minutes, behind Gionta and Pleks. He is easily one of the most productive players on the team.

87. Shiloh says:

That is your direct quote. It reads that his hockey writing is about the quality of the dregs of the blogosphere. You are of course wise to back up and to suggest that what you really believe is that his tone lacks quality, but that’s not what you wrote.

88. ZepFan2 says:

“you ever see the bbc doc, the power of nightmares?”

And it begins…

😉

89. fbkj says:

CLEARLY YOUVE NEVER HEARD OF PNAC [angry10]

Simply stated, that defense just isn’t good enough to win 16 playoff games.

91. habs001 says:

if we do damage in the playoffs it will be because of goaltending,pk,team d ,pp and clutch goals…i think it is time to realize the forwards we have on the team are no better than somewhere between 20th and 26th in the nhl in scoring…our scoring has remained in this position since the beginning of last year…

I agree. I’d also add that the Habs should move AK to the 4th line in Pyatt’s stead, send Eller to Hamilton and pick up a player like Iginla, as in a real bonafide power forward, for the top 6.

How likely is that? That’s why I suggest tinkering where the Habs are weakest.

The bottom 6 defensive pairing is really where the Habs need the most work. If one solid player can be brought in, a real stay at home bruiser, pair him with Wiz, put the old Czechs together and have PK with Gill and it doesn’t look so bad.

93. fbkj says:

oddly, pleks doesnt sound nearly as cartoonish as the others

Nice work by the 3rd liners. Imagine if the 4th liners could make that list.

I think here-in lies the area where the Habs need the most work. Not the top 6 or the 3rd line.

If the Habs could pick up a replacement for Pyatt, someone who can score, hit and bring good energy minutes, that IMHHO would put the Habs over the top and give them a chance to compete against even the Flyers. 4 lines that can score and play responsible defensive hockey with good team defence over-all and very good goal-tending and the Habs could very realistically go all the way.

It’s not the top 6 where the Habs need help. It’s the bottom 3. Halpern is way solid. Moen, meh. At least he can score, is gritty and can fight. Pyatt. Love his speed and he’s very responsible defensively. Kid’s got stone hands, can’t pass, no hockey sense or offensive creativity.

Replace him with a solid winger and the Habs look good. Or maybe not. When Cammy comes back the team upfront could very well be:

Gio-Gomez-Pax

AK46-Plex-Cammy

Pouliot-DD-Darche

Moen-Halpern-Eller

That actually looks like 4 lines that could do damage.

The defense looks weak in the bottom pairing though:

PK-Gill

Wiz-Hammer

Spacek-Picard-Weber

If the Habs don’t make a move, which I don’t suspect they’ll do, unless they send Eller to Hamiltion and get that scorer to replace Pyatt, then I figure the defense needs to spread the strengths and not stack all the weakness on the last defensive pairing. If Spacek shows up for the play-offs like last year than the Habs look good. That was after a lay-off, albeit injury related, so maybe he needs a rest soon.

The best moves for the Habs  would be for some upscaling on the bottom 6 defense pairing and 4th line IMO. Strengthen the weakest links.

95. andrewberkshire says:

Perfect, now I have something to do while home sick this afternoon!

96. fbkj says:

lemme know what you think

97. habs001 says:

we have to have very solid goaltending,total team d ,great pk and we will have to have a very good pp…looking at our forwards stats from top to bottom this is a bad scoring team…and since we have kept our scoring pace pretty well the same over the last 150 games i dont see this group improving ..

98. Mark C says:

Don’t know how you can say that about the Bruins when they’ve only beaten Montreal once in the past year and a half. Montreal should be given a fair chance to beat any team outside of Philly.

99. Jordio-oh says:

haha, one of my favorite things about Hasek is his accent.

Hasek, Jagr, Spacek. All great to listen to; gotta love those Czech accents.

100. matrags says:

stick to logic and the facts Chris it drives then crazy!!

101. habs001 says:

in mine opinion pouliot is a guy who can average 2 goals every 10 games…he does not get enough chances to score in games and when he gets good chances he is not a finisher…if we are happy with a third line player who scores 15 goals a year than we have pouliot..i really dont think he has any higher upside…

102. fbkj says:

you ever see the bbc doc, the power of nightmares? they have all the episodes up on youtube… they play it on cbc newsworld from time to time… freaky stuff… its a doc about the rise of the neo-conservative and radical islam movements and how they paralell one another

oh its also about how full of sh[t all politicians have been the last few decades, its depressing, frightening and oddly relieving

103. _Habsoloutly_ says:

lol, thats getting told to the wifey when she get’s home.  she’ll luv it.

104. SeriousFan09 says:

Guy hasn’t been on CBC since the end of the 09-10 season, he was on RDS this season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

105. Chris says:

Oh, come now Timo.  I’m not THAT naive!  :)

106. andrewberkshire says:

I suggest a re-read is in order for my comment, as I said nothing about his skill. His knowledge of the game of hockey is neglible. He knows about as much as the average fan, and shows no interest in getting to know the players through his journalistic credentials so he has zero insights into the team. His tone is that of many of the angriest, least intelligent blogs on the internet.

PS: Dan Chorra is a hockey topic.

107. Shiloh says:

Oh no – a leftist!!! Ok, my Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin-lovin, FUX News-watchin’ friend, I’m going to suggest that using the term “leftist” as a purported insult is quite revealing. Generally speaking, neo-cons are ridiculous. You have at least the good sense to cheer for that Habs.

108. Chris says:

Aw, you broke out the old gem!  Always liked that line.

Ah yes, the cannibal troll.

KYM rox!!

110. Jordio-oh says:

“We’ll see it every Monday for the rest of the year.  And the same next year.  Just like last year. “

Can’t argue with that.

111. SeriousFan09 says:

Dominic Hasek and his season in the KHL, he’s hanging in there at age 46 and he leads the KHL in Shutouts with 7.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

112. Shiloh says:

No – you clearly said his hockey writing was equivalent to what we could find in the dregs of the blogosphere. If you now want to modify that statement to refer to tone only, that’s fine. But don’t suggest I can’t read.

113. The Cat says:

Im going to go on a limb and say Ottawa beats Vancouver tonight.

114. krob1000 says:

Interesting note I read in Hockey News…not sure if it was posted here as I have been rarely able to post in the last week and a bit…..Benoit Pouliot leads the NHL in points in games in which he has played 14 minutes or less (17pts), Mathieu Darche is 4th (14pts).

115. Oddball says:

John Roberts said “Pro Mubarak protesters” attacked the two reporters. What does this have to do with the left or the “freedom yearning people just like us” for that matter? Let me guess Tony, all the pro-Mubarak thugs are communists and lefties, right? Is Tony’s on the glue bag, again?

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

116. andrewberkshire says:

Why do parents allow their kids on youtube….

THE CONSEQUENCES WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!!!

117. Chris says:

Habs are 9-7-1 in the game before a Jack Todd column, and 1-5-2 over the last 8 weeks.  Better?

I’m not shocked that people go off on him, just the number of them.  I’m amused that we go through this routine every single Monday.  We’ll see it every Monday for the rest of the year.  And the same next year.  Just like last year.

Goalie controversies, Todd bashing and questioning coaches seem to be the primary past-times of HI/O posters.

“You find the gripe-fests amusing in a similar way that i find the undeniable “holier-than-thou” tone in your writing to be amusing, especially since you’ve returned from exile.”

Touché.  Nice shot.

Just think of the amount of traffic it generated. Coincidence that the link to his article is there? Me thinks not :)

oh no… i am going to miss his 2-3 words he says during the CBC broadcasts

The journalists said they were beaten by Mubarrak supporters. Are those not members of the right-wing and not the democratic movement? At any rate, comparing the left, right, or whatever in Egypt to NA or Canada is ludicrous.

Many people are neither left nor right but are centralist and see elements in both that have value and aim for synergy or a synthesis of ideas and solutions as opposed to dogma. It is at the farther reaches of either the left of the right that we see totalitarianism and facism. Along the way leanings towards either belies a tendancy towards the same.

Not unlike the types of arguments your many pseudognomes produce.

121. mbplekfan says:

PG and the braintrust have likely thought long and hard about next year. We have Pacioretty, Gionta, Cammaleri, Kostitsyn, Pouliot, Eller and DD as tradeable forwards.

Gionta is Captain so he stays. Pacioretty stays. Eller stays. That leaves Cammy, AK, Pouliot and DD as tradeable assets.

On the defence we have Spacek, Hammer, Gill, Picard and Weber as tradeable assets. Weber has some value, whereas the other 3 are pretty low on the desirability scale and Picard is worthless.

So Weber paired up with AK, Cammy or Pouliot with a second round pick becomes a pretty good package.

Is it enough for a Regehr?

122. andrewberkshire says:

Yes, especially when the first person who responded claimed that the word neo-con was made up to disguise anti-semitism… Even when I explained the REAL origins of the word, and the political ideology behind it (politics is kind of my life) I was still met with the same BS. Gotta love internet experts.

123. mbplekfan says:

A couple of rounds? It will be a major triumph if we draw an opponent we can beat in a seven game series.

Provided we dont draw Philadelphia we have a legitimate shot against a depleted Pittsburgh and a reasonable shot against the Capitals.

Bruins and Philadelphia both are too big for us to seriously challenge on a nightly basis with the other team making adjustments to defeat our trap. Our defence is old and will wear down as the season and playoffs go on.

We have an outside chance this year to do something in the playoffs but it relies on Carey Price and luck.

After a serious rebuild of our defence over the summer next years team will be better constructed for playoff success.

124. theremster says:

cannot agree with Gomez playing a solid game. Don’t mean to flog a dead horse, but he’s just been terrible this year. His play is very predictable, ” skate the length of the ice, lose the puck or dump it to the corners to absoluetely no one, and then coast along and pretend to backcheck”. Not to mention that he doesnt seem to believe that hockey is at all a physical sport. He avoids physical situations like the plague. I understand he isnt big, but if you attempt to dodge hits costing the puck all the time, go play basketball. I dont know how he was signed for 8 million, what a horrendous waste.

125. habs001 says:

sabres lost in pitts friday and killed a rested leaf team on sat…the leafs on their recent road trip were playing their 4th game in 6 in san jose who was off the night before and the leafs played and the leafs scored 3 goals in the third in san jose to win…we keep using the excuse we played back to back…

126. Chris says:

double post.

127. andrewberkshire says:

Outside of hockey, Jack Todd is rarely as angry and bombastic as when talking about the Habs. Giving him props for talking about less ‘popular’ sports is entirely legitimate. My problem with him is in regards only to his hockey writing, which is about the quality of the dregs of the blogosphere.

As for him admitting he’s wrong, I would give him props for it if it wasn’t always worded in a way that suggested that he was only temporarily wrong, or that he knew he was wrong the whole time, like his column on Price earlier in the year. Instead of admitting that he was wrong about Price’s potential, he claimed he was right in the first place. I think the fact that you can draw comparisons between Todd’s hockey writing and people posting on this website, says nothing good for Todd.

128. Jordio-oh says:

The habs have an identical winning percentage on the weekend (saturday and sunday games) as they do through the week.

All in all, you said yourself that you understand why people dislike him, and its evident you understand the irrational and overreactive nature of the commentariat, so it confuses me why you are shocked at how many people here go off on him.

129. fbkj says:

you win

what you win

i am not sure

but you did win it

130. andrewberkshire says:

I wasn’t attacking Chris, what I was doing was expressing my surprise at his admiration of Jack Todd’s tone, which is nearly always vitriolic hatred, when Chris rails against that kind of stuff on this website all the time.

As for Jack Todd winning a National Newspaper Award, that doesn’t support your earlier claim at all, considering you said he was considered one of North America’s most respected sportswriters. Canada is just a tiny part of North America Shiloh, and winning one award in decades of writing isn’t exactly putting him in the same league as others in his field.

The ad HIOminem attack!!

132. ZepFan2 says:

Figures, damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

133. Shiloh says:

That’s actually very good.

134. Chris says:

He’s a “What have you done for me lately?” kind of guy? I dunno…half the people in here seem to lose their shirts after every loss too. He’s just like the rest of us, he just has a better soapbox. :)

135. ZepFan2 says:

“It’s perhaps the lowest form of argument.”

Yeah, not like using Tourette’s syndrome as a comeback.

136. fbkj says:

this comming from mr. tourretes

137. Chris says:

I don’t go after people when they spew vitriol…I would never have time to post anything else. I go after them when they insult me or others. A message board is for discussion…kind of hard to discuss things when the other side is too busy insulting you to realize that both sides have valid points. A columnist is supposed to get people to read their columns…Jack Todd succeeds. Some people read because they like his writing or agree with him, and a lot seem to read so that they can carp about him until his next column.

But I freely acknowledge the hypocrisy of it. Like I said, it isn’t my style but I enjoy reading his articles. I like that he tries to give the CFL some props. I love that, unlike most sports fans and journalists in Canada, he gives some attention to Olympic sport athletes outside the Olympic cycle.

I definitely like that he continues to hold a grudge against Loria and Sampson. They are idiots.

And I like that he admits to being wrong and a jerk frequently. That makes him different from most of us. :)

138. Shiloh says:

Come on, Andrew. Chris gives you several plausible arguments and a healthy dose of hard facts – and your response is an ad hominem attack? It’s perhaps the lowest form of argument.

Fact – There is verifiable evidence that Todd is highly regarded by his peers. Fact – He is an award-winning journalist. Could you please deal with the argument that you are so badly losing without attacking the bearer of truth?

139. ZepFan2 says:

Very Kostitsynesque!

140. longbow says:

Woman walking down the street and sees a guy walking a dog.She stops and says “nice pig you got there” Guy says “thats not a pig,that’s a dog” Woman says “I was talking to the dog !”

141. ZepFan2 says:

Fighting the trolls, I suppose.

142. andrewberkshire says:

He mentioned it, said it was flukey or lucky or something.

143. fbkj says:

well yeah… im at work what else do you expect me to be doing…?

144. ZepFan2 says:

They went 1-1 over the weekend.

Why no mention of the Rangers game then? The one where Gomez scored the gwg.

145. Trenton_Romulox says:

And yesterday marks the first time I’ve seen the Habs not get at least 1 point out of a game when I’ve been in attendance. Darn, it was a good streak too! The Habs are now 9-1-1 when I’ve been in attendance in Boston and Montreal combined, 10-1-1 if you count preseason games. Let’s hope they can get a new winning streak goin’ for me this Saturday when I see them play the Leafs. Go Habs Go!

146. andrewberkshire says:

Chris, considering how often you complain about the vitriol on this particular internet message board, I find it very surprising that you would endorse that same writing style from a paid writer in a respected newspaper.  Seems to be about as hypocritical a stance as one could dream up.

Guy Carbonneau is the new head coach of the Chicoutimi Sagueneens.

148. observer says:

He is a leftist first then he has a sports column. He would report about “freedom yearning people just like us” – but this is exactly who they really are who the left conviently ignores. Watch the video: – – – – http://video.foxnews.com/v/4526742/exclusive-fox-news-reporters-on-savage-beating-in-egypt

149. Chris says:

Since Jack Todd is such a great topic on here, here’s an article some of you might like, written around the release of “Taste of Metal”.

I’ve always liked Jack Todd, and I’m always shocked at how many people here go off on him. He’s a columnist, not a reporter. He basically writes his opinions, and generates reactions. He often says stupid things, and he is more aware of that than most.

But I would challenge a lot of you to read your own posts sometimes and see how often your heat of the moment posts are over the top, just like Jack Todd’s. He often writes the things that I think at that particular moment…the difference is that I usually don’t write them down for the world to see. I usually hit the “X” up in the top of the right-hand corner instead of the “Post Comment” below the comment window. Todd just lets it slide. All the more power to him. It’s not my style, but I do appreciate the snark.

I understand why people dislike him, but I do find the collective gripe-fests about his writing every week somewhat amusing.

He has no credibility as a journalist.He has been nominated for and won national awards for his writing. I think the Gazette remain happy with him, given that they still give him a weekly soap-box.

He only comes out of the woodwork when the Habs lose. He writes once a week, Mondays, like clockwork. The Habs just happen to lose on the weekends and he’s therefore in a surly mood. And a surly Todd is a caustic Todd.

He deserted from the US Army during Vietnam. Doesn’t make him a bad guy necessarily…we don’t know what he knew at that time. My dad moved to Canada as a twenty-two year old in 1955 to dodge the draft in Denmark. According to some of you, that makes him a coward. He’d be okay with that…he knew why he did it and would make the decision a hundred times out of a hundred, despite that decision resulting in him only seeing his mother one more time and coming to Canada to start a new life with absolutely nothing: no job, no money and a new language. I’m biased, but I hardly call that cowardice.

He doesn’t know anything about hockey. Well, arguably, neither do a lot of posting here, but that really hasn’t stopped us. Todd, unlike many of us, was actually a pretty high level athlete, competing in Division I athletics. So he does have some credibility as an athlete, even if his NHL knowledge has been gained from the couch or the press box, just like many of the rest of the journalists out there. Doesn’t make them any less credible…sometimes you need a viewpoint from outside the sport so you don’t get stuck with the sycophantic “rah-rah” stuff that you sometimes see from athletes that cross over to the broadcast booth.

150. Hobie Hansen says:

1) I enjoy reading, listening or watching the majority of TV, Internet or Newspaper reporters who provide us with NHL info on a daily basis. Jack Todd has always been one of a handful of guys I never make time for. He’s a reporter who’s never had a thing to do with the game of hockey except write a smart ass column about the Canadiens from some unknown location, probably drinking scotch on Sunday nights. If he’s interviewing a player or coach that’s great, maybe I’ll read it, but if it’s his opinion..WHO CARES!

2) I’m not reading too much into the Habs loss yesterday, second game in as many AFTERNOONS, and besides the guys on the LTIR, they were missing Wisniewski and Cammalleri.

3) Maybe Gomez was out of line and deserved to get tossed but if he and other players have to dive out of the way to avoid bumping a goalie that’s outside of his crease, then the goalie should not be allowed to bump or pick an opposing player. Stupid rule!

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” – George Orwell

151. andrewberkshire says:

Not to mention they have to have grit, jam, big body presence and an active stick.

152. avatar_58 says:

Flyers and Devils yes, but Pens? The habs beat the pens many times. Isolate Crosby/Malkin and you win.

Score more goals. Let fewer in.

154. Chris says:

He only writes on Mondays.  Not his fault the Habs like to lose their games on the weekends.

155. volcano62 says:

If we want the cup we need to defeat teams like Flyers, Devils, Pens etc……We need to study their game plan and figure out a way to win.

Devils had a rough start but they are far from a shit team especially with Lemaire guiding the ship.

156. fbkj says:

weird, sure there are some prominent jewish neo-cons, but thats pretty silly

157. The Cat says:

Very interesting.

158. Propwash says:

Ever notice that Todd, more often than not, only chimes in after a loss?

BeDevilled by more than the Devils folks.

We are starting to slip a little this past week. But not as bad as some may suggest. Other teams are now starting to get the injury bug now as well. This time of year the game picks up in speed and intensity.

We have been hit with slow starting first period hockey, this has to be turned around. The season is becoming very short. I wonder if Gauthier and staff are going to make a move.?

In a 30 team league, here is where we are placed this week over last week.

Goals Against—-131,  We are in  6th place.   Last week we were in   4th place.

Total points——-65,  We are in  9th place.   Last Week we were in   9th place.

Goals For——–139,  We are in 22nd place.  Last week we were in 22nd place.

160. fbkj says:

few other things they need to do, they have to give it %110, play a full 60 minutes and take it one shift at a time

161. fbkj says:

WHAT

ARE

YOU

TALKING

ABOUT?

162. ZepFan2 says:

Dude, you’re wasting your time.

163. Shiloh says:

Clearly you have missed his columns on the carpetbaggers Loria and Samson as well as those which addressed the numbskullery of Donald S. Cherry.

I suggest a re-read is in order here.

I get it that you don’t like him, Andrew. Ok – deal with it. But suggesting that he can’t write – or even that he can’t write about hockey or stating that his writing skill in this regard is akin to the dregs of the blogosphere – these are sweeping claims for which you have no factual basis other than your opinion. You are entitled to your own opinion, of course, but not to your own facts.

164. habs001 says:

it will be a good season if we make the playoffs and win a couple of rounds…right now it looks pretty tough for us to win more than 2 rounds as our secondary scoring is non existent and what will happen in the playoff is that martin will have to over use our main forwards and they will be physically beat up by the third round…we have too many forwards that dont spread out their scoring and tend to have long l non scoring streaks…

165. The Cat says:

Buffalos been coming up quietly. I do think if Burke got smart and fired Wilson, youd see a marked improvement, leafs are spiritless now.

166. andrewberkshire says:

Be careful using the word Neo-con on this site, last time I used it I was called a Jew hater and a Nazi sympathizer by two posters.

167. Shiloh says:

And if you close your eyes when they interview him, you’d swear that it was Martina Navratilova answering.

168. andrewberkshire says:

When saying “hockey writing” and differentiating between that and his other writing, how is it even possible for me to be implying that his writing skill in itself is worse. Come on Shiloh, you’re better than this. It was very obvious that I was referring to tone and knowledge.

Oh… well… I’ll miss him anyway.

170. Chris says:

Wow.  That guy is truly amazing.

That stretch with the Sabres was other-worldly.  I’m not sure I’ll ever see consistent goal-tending like that again in my lifetime.

Of course, I also stated that Terry Sawchuk’s career shutout record was untouchable, so what do I know?  :)

I meant to write >> farther reaches of either the left or the right

172. ZepFan2 says:

[Trum]

PNAC…the Party of North-American Clowns?

Nope, never heard of them. [winkgrin]

173. mbplekfan says:

AK is full value for his contract. Its just that his potential is still unrealized. This makes posters here slag him.

I agree that its going to be hard to part with an asset. But in order to get more than a Q leauge prospect or project AHL defenceman we will have to part with quality.

I wouldnt give up on Pouliot yet either. I think that he could become part of a big, fast skating high scoring second line if paired with Eller and Pacioretty. I wouldnt part with any of those three.

That leaves AK and Cammy.

174. habstrinifan says:

What do you folks think… Try hard to get J Iginla giving up anything but Price/Pleks/P.K/and maybe Pacioretty.

Failing that try to get the duo.. only as a duo… of Crhis Neil and Chris Phillips from Ottawa….

Failing that try and get Antoine Vermette from Columbus and a big, tough, utility player.

175. olematelot says:

Right friggin on brother!!!!

176. CBrady12 says:

You have to understand something. You are writing to a segment of the population who spend an unreasonable amount of time on a website where they write about a hockey team they have no control over. Does this seem like normal behavior to you? A good portion on this site are not fans but fanatics. You can tell by some of the posts you read. I mean a majority of them have no rhyme or reason and are based purely on emotion rather than rational thought.

You don’t need to explain the value of Gomez to anyone who has ever played the game at a level higher than peewee.

177. Mark C says:

I got a kick out of the lucky goal thing too. Pretty much all NHL goals have some element of luck involved, some more so than others. Think of the goals yesterday, Zubrus is lucky he didn’t get called for holding. Kovy II goal was a great tip-in, but how often does a tip like that result in a goal, I don’t know but I’m sure it’s below 50%. The Zajac goal, the puck took what looked to be a perfect bounce onto his stick, if the puck bounced a foot in a different direction maybe he doesn’t score.

Luck or the bounces of the game, whatever you want to call it, play a role in the majority of NHL goals.

178. joeybarrie says:

Ok, so I get quite frustrated with the Bashing of our players. I wonder why we hate guys on our own team? I wonder why we bash our OWN, and I think we might have a REAL sickness…

What frustrates me most about Jack Todd, and his druids on here….

Gomez has 19 points in the last 24 games. Probably the most important of our season as it started just after Markov went down for the season and just before Gorges went down. He is winning 50% of his face offs.

This compared with Gionta’s 10 points in his last 25. Now every single one of those is a goal, and who do you think passed him the puck in MOST of those… Yet Gio gets a pass, and Gomer is bashed.

DO THE MATH ON THOSE NUMBERS BY THE WAY…. But I forgot, some ONLY care about scoring. As if the players who score single handedly steal the puck from the opposition, beat everyone and slide it into the net with absolutely NO support from their teammates.

By the way Pleks has 18 points in his last 25…

in our last 24 games we are 12-4-6 and have taken 28 points. We have scored 61 goals and GOmez had a hand in almost one third of them… LESS SO PLEKS, yet Gomez is the TERRIBLE one on our team… I MEAN HOW DUMB CAN YOU BE?

The guy has 7 goals, yet 2 of them are Game winners… YET HE WAS LUCKY ON BOTH his game winner against NYR, and the assist he got on Subban yesterday. AND THE BEST PART IS TODD BASHED GOMEZ FOR AN UNLUCKY ASSIST AND FRIKEN PRAISES PK WITHOUT ANY MENTION THAT HIS GOAL WAS LUCKY. TALK ABOUT BEING BIASED…. Yet of course, no one sees it, cause Todd tells it like it is… Keeps it REAL…. WAKE UP. HE IS FRIKEN DON CHERRY.

GOMEZ IS A ZERO, he set up our ONLY goal yesterday and scored the Game winner against NYR… HOLY RIDICULOUSNESS BATMAN…. Are you serious????? WE WON IN NY on his goal. A HUGE GAME for us on a BIG BIG four pointer. Yet BASH ON BASH ON BASH ON….

You honestly call yourselves fans? Waiting with your pitchforks to burn down his house…. It’s pitiful. Look at the difference since he has been here.

It’s a TEAM thing, and he is a HUGE team player.

AND to finish off, Gomez is smart enough to know WHEN to take a penalty like that… Again with his praises of PK in an article talking about penalties…. Do I have to point out the obvious??? Probably…

179. longbow says:

It’s lonely at the top !

180. The Cat says:

I think athletes do pay attention, or I should say, they at leats get a whiff of it from relatives or friends etc.

That’s impossible. Nobody can be right all the time, especially when I’m always right.

Nice try though.

The nerve.

I don;t like to argue. Besides, what’s the point when I am always right anyway?

Timo is HIO’s token argument dodger.

184. HabsFanInTampa says:

…………..since 1967

185. HabFanSince72 says:

Yeah, but they’re only two years from seriously challenging for the cup. Just ask their fans.

186. F Bomb says:

Let us take a moment in bask in the fact that the Toronto Maple Leafs are in a whirlwind of hurt, despiration and despair.

187. Mark C says:

To get 90 points the NJD would have to go 23-4-2, and this year it’s looking like it will take more than 90 points get into the playoffs.

188. geo_habsgo says:

Assuming 90 points is generally what will gain you a date to the playoffs, can’t Jersey technically do it if they keep up this play? Granted, they need about 50 points in their last 31 games but isn’t it possible with the way they have been playing lately? I know how far fetched it is lol so don’t bite my head off but it is going to be fun to see them play spoiler for everyone in the league from now on (unless its against the Habs!).

189. patience is a virtue says:

Bang on.   Lol, fanatics and peewee brains are us.

Sure Gomez could be better for his salary, but he is still a big part of this team on the ice and off.  Currently making up for an even slower than usual start.  He will probably play a lead role down the stretch and into the playoffs.

190. CBrady12 says:

Don’t get me wrong, I completely agree with you,  I hate Todd and his style of “journalism” if thats what you want to call it. As you said, he writes things in order to get the reaction you guys are giving him. Thats his goal, and we play right into his hands because the comments are up, page views are probably up, pages views to his article are probably high and that is good news to the Gazette…

191. SeriousFan09 says:

I read the article by accident this afternoon as I was visiting Puck Daddy and they had a thing on Gomez relating to what the hack wrote and I didn’t realize who they were referencing until I saw the comments so I came on here to vent.  I keep telling myself not to get involved in too many useless arguments around here but honestly… this guy getting paid for this nonsense riles me a bit too much sometimes.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Hahahahahahaha. So true!!!!! It’s awesome.

193. Rudy says:

Lovely day here at HIO after a loss and a Jack Todd link.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

194. CBrady12 says:

Every time i see one of your comments I laugh…for a couple of reasons…

1) After being banned from a WEBSITE, instead of finding something else in life to do, you come crawling back, I mean if there every were a definition for the word LOSER…

2) It is so blatantly obvious that you know nothing about the game

3) you think your schtick is so original because you always have a cynical point of view about pretty much everything. You think it makes you seem real and cool…to put it in the words of the late great George Carlin “you ain’t cool, you’re fuck!n’ chilly, and chilly ain’t never been cool”

195. OneTimer says:

Timo, what good does calling Gomez out in the press do? Do you think he (or any other pro athlete) pay close attention to what’s said about them in the media? By the way, it appears you have a lot in common with Jack Todd. Apart from the Gomez hate, both of you love to spew inanities and hateful drivel as if they were actually meaningful contributions to discussion. Have a nice day :)

196. _Habsoloutly_ says:

C’mon man, tell us how you really feel.

Haha… how did I know I would walk into a Gomez love fest once I saw “Jack Todd on Scott Gomez” headline? Lol. Gomez is great, Gomez is fantastic, Gomez is everything we ever wanted, Gomez is precious.

Finally somebody in the Mtl media called out Gomez on his performance. More articles like these needed. I mean, would it NOT be helpful if he say… hmm… i don’t know… scored yesterday? Or in any other  40 some games that he hasn’t?

Gomez is useless overpaid bum that only at his best when the camera’s are rolling and reported whip out their little notebooks to capture another wise-a$$ comment from him.

198. SeriousFan09 says:

Jack Todd for a three-legged mule, steal of the decade.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

199. observer says:

Will Gauthier make a trade before the trade deadline – just 21 days from now?

200. CBrady12 says:

The guy writes whenever he thinks he can stir the pot regarding the Canadiens”

and you all fall for it hook, line and sinker…EVERY time

201. SeriousFan09 says:

You can always count on Jack Todd to bravely come out and call out a player he doesn’t like long after criticisms of that player have come out so he can write his *ahem* unique criticisms of that player and wrap up it in his own self-righteous way while he pretends that he gives a damn about the Canadiens when they aren’t giving him material to come up with his own self-righteous, flawed insights.

If Habs were to win say, the first round of the playoffs based off 12 points by Gomez, Todd will be right back on the bandwagon because it suits him. The guy writes whenever he thinks he can stir the pot regarding the Canadiens. The average Habs blogger has better insight into the team than he does.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

202. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I think that since Carey has been playing lights out this season Jack has had to focus the crosshairs on a new target.  Whether you like him or not Gomer will always be the easiest guy to pick on.  Hopefully G-Love has a strong performance in the playoffs,  then it will be harder for Jack to hate his contract.

203. observer says:

Todd learned all his hockey knowledge in Nebraska where the sport of ice hockey was founded!

204. notbigbird says:

I am forced to agree 100% with Jack Todd when he says, “I dunno. Maybe I’m crazy.”

Yes, Jack.

205. Rudy says:

Emery has signed with the Ducks….

206. Storm Man says:

No kidding, And he has the balls to talk about football like he knows what he is talking about. His insight about hockey is luke warm his take on football is of the charts.

207. Cool Ice Price says:

If Kessel is not happy in Toronto or with Wilson (Ron is an A$$ anyway, there are probally many players on that team that can’t stand him) Burke needs to get rid of Wilson. A GM can’t give away 4 top picks for a player then trade him.

208. fbkj says:

oh god that would be epic

209. arcosenate says:

Apparently Kessel said something to the effect that it’s not working out for him in Toronto. Imagine if he is looking to get traded! Brian Burke has made a real fool out of himself. And given the Boston Bruins such an advantage over everyone in the division. Thanks alot blow hard.

210. The Cat says:

I cant stand Wilson just by looking or listening to him. Im surprised no one has punched him out.

211. kempie says:

Todd is a knob.

212. Barts says:

Jack Todd speaks the truth again, and says what every other media member tied to the team is afraid to.

213. Cool Ice Price says:

Get rid of JM then.

That was what the Habs should have done to Trembly & Roy would have retired a Hab!

214. bigdave says:

Certainly not JM!

Kessel would be a JM nightmare!

“The Allo Police Media – a collection of bitter ex-coaches, players and wannabees whose collective lack of success accounts for their present positions in Sports’ equivalent of a Jerry Springer Show”

215. Cool Ice Price says:

Would anyone swap Gomez for Kessel?

216. Cool Ice Price says:

He’s better than Gomez.

217. HabFab says:

Thank you! This place can go negative fast.

218. JF says:

Arpon Basu on 2011 stats is a great read to chase away negative feelings after yesterday’s loss.

219. SmartDog says:

As usual Jack Todd is jumping aboard a train that’s already under full steam.  But his point about Gomer taking stupid penalities is true.  He’s been an ass lately.  Dumb penalties every game or two.  Puffing his chest out like he’s some veteran superstar.

I am sure it hurts the ego to see that every winger on the team gets excited to play with Pleks because their stats go up… but deal with it Gomer.  Just deal.  Or you’re even a more sorry sumbeetch than I thought you were.

“It bothers me…there are old coaches in the league today that don’t know how to deal with these young personalities.” – Mike Peca on JM handling of PKS

220. jimmy shaker says:

17:21 of ice time…..even +/- and 2 assists. Assisted on Vinny’s game winner and played all his minutes from the back end.

Shaker

221. HabFanSince72 says:

… Nancy Pilosi …

He also lists Yvon Cournoyer as his favourite Hab.

222. HabsFanInTampa says:

“Toad needs a one way ticket to Pyongyang so he can comiserate with his fellow countrymen and ideological soulmates Nancy Pilosi and Harry Reid at North Korea University’s  J. Stalin School of Business”. Comrade, WTF???

223. HabsFanInTampa says:

I wasn’t much of a MAB fan when he played for the Habs and am glad we released him. But, he actaully looked good on the ice yesterday afternoon. I’m not sure, but I think MAB was credited with two assists yesterday.

224. jimmy shaker says:

After the devils scored first, I’m glad I turned off the game and turned on the bolts/blues game. MAB helping tampa win was a way better game than the habs/devils. From the reads on here and the highlights, it looked like a snooze fest, a game the devils love to play. Here’s looking forward to the cubs on wednesday.

Shaker

225. HabFanSince72 says:

In defence of the New Jersey Devils

1. They are not Bettman’s favourite, even if he does attend games incognito with his grandson. The idea that their success comes from holding and interfering while the refs look the other way is idiotic. Remember how badly they got screwed by the league over the Kovalchuk contract? How come Chicago and Detroit get to do it, but NJ gets fined a first rounder when they try?

2. They don’t win “because of the trap”. They win because they have great scouting and player development, and a top-notch organization at every level. And because they only want one kind of player: the kind who works on every shift. Bob Gainey was right to try to pattern his Habs on Lamoriello’s team.

3. Most of you don’t remember the Canadiens before they became a brand. But in those days Jacques Lemaire and Larry Robinson were our heroes.

4. Lou Lamoriello would be a Hab fan if he could. You know he would.

226. shootdapuck says:

Toad taking shots at his favorite targets; players who make over the minimum wage.

As if anyone normal would turn down an offer of 8 mill per “because I’m afraid I don’t deserve it and it will upset Toad of Toad Hall”!

Toad needs a one way ticket to Pyongyang so he can comiserate with his fellow countrymen and ideological soulmates Nancy Pilosi and Harry Reid at North Korea University’s  J. Stalin School of Business.

Why doesn’t he focus on Derek Jeter at 22 million per and poor results.

“I only like to watch and takes notes” JM

227. Shiloh says:

Such originality, wit and insight – and sooooooo funny too. You’re just a perky little pepperpot when you’ve got a hate on. Remember your meds.

just cause I am nice I will help you out here… “couple” means 2 not 1, 2, 3. You’re welcome.