Beaulieu in, Tinordi out for game against Oilers

Rookie defenceman Nathan Beaulieu, who was called up from the Hamilton Bulldogs on Monday, will be in the lineup Tuesday night when the Canadiens face the Edmonton Oilers at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690) while Jarred Tinordi will be a healthy scratch.

Beaulieu has played two games this season with the Canadiens and is plus-1 without getting a point. Tinordi is pointless in six games and is even in the plus/minus stats.

Patrick Holland and Mike Blunden, who were also called up from Hamilton on Monday, will both be in the lineup against the Oilers. Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at Tuesday’s morning skate:

Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Bournival-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Desharnais-Bourque
Blunden-White-Holland

Markov-Diaz
Subban-Tinordi
Gorges-Bouillon
Beaulieu

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Oilers vs. Canadiens Preview, NHL.com

Game Notes, edmontonoilers.com

Habs call up Holland, Blunden, by Pat Hickey

Former Hab Hamrlik hangs up skates after 20 seasons, by Dave Stubbs

24CH Flash #9 (Trivia night at Thanksgiving dinner), Canadiens.com

A simple plan for Oilers: more pucks on net, Edmonton Journal

Eberle will play against Canadiens, NHL.com

1. oldtimerguy says:

oilers prospect list is deeeep. lots of size and skill coming…they need a vet or 2 to mentor them…im looking at you gorges markov pleks moen gio…

2. oldtimerguy says:

tank it!

3. HabFab says:

HabsWorld top 10 Prospects as voted by the fans;

4. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Anyone else surprised by the Holland callup? Will be interested to see what he brings and if he’ll ever be an NHLer.

Even without him I think the Habs won that trade with Calgary, so anything he does will just be a bonus.

• Say Ash says:

I’m pretty sure he’ll be an NHLer in about three hours.

• JUST ME says:

I was surprised but am happy cause we will get to see what this guy is made of. I think that it will be for a few games only and then they will give the chance to other guys from Hamilton. I like this way of doing things, it is fair and gives them a little taste of things to come if…

• Ron in Ottawa says:

Let’s play fantasy habs. if you could make one block buster trade of up to 6 players to get up to 3 players- not counting picks- what would you do?

• oldtimerguy says:

if they play Holland with plumbers, its a waste of time…he needs to be with fast skilled guys who know what to do with the puck…Holland is a pure passer.

• Timo says:

I wasn’t watching pre-season that closely so can’t say I noticed him much. Perhaps he’s been playing very well for the Dogs. I was expecting Blunden and Dumont but just because I didn’t even remember Holland existed until he was called up. We’ll see. Perhaps he’ll surprise us.

5. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Few notes in Elliotte Friedman’s 30 thoughts about the Habs:

3. Speaking of kids, Montreal’s line of Lars Eller, Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher is gaining big-time respect. Canadiens head coach Michel Therrien had the last change during Saturday’s game against Nashville and Predators head coach Barry Trotz worked hard to get Seth Jones and Shea Weber against them on the fly.

24. So when does Galchenyuk move to centre? “Right now, it’s not really a conversation. It’s going so well, why change it?” Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin said, adding the team doesn’t need Galchenyuk in the middle at this point. But he admitted, “It is going to happen.”

25. I had a better chance of getting Bergevin’s credit card PIN number than information about contract extensions for either Andrei Markov or P.K. Subban. One thing to remember, Bergevin’s shown no fear of getting things done early (eg. Max Pacioretty).

6. savethepuck says:

I assume this has already been discussed today, but I just logged on and I’m sorry that I don’t have enough time to catch up on all of today’s posts. Do the D pairings listed above mean MT may be splitting up Marky and PK? I don’t think that is wise.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

7. frontenac1 says:

@burly. That was hilarious amigo! That’s Grapes for sure. Nothing about his Cottage on Wolfe Island?

8. Subban in Sochi says:

Now that the bulk of the Canadiens’ toughness, grit, and well, bulk, is in the pressbox I’d like to see the Habs go counterintuitive and play a physical game tonight. In short, have 17 guys play like Brandon Gallagher.

I was glad to see Beaulieu say that it’s time for him to “grab the bull by the horns.” I think he’ll play well tonight. But as for the physical side of the game it’s time for the Western Bulls to do some “running”: Bourque, Moen & White. The 3 of them have been “OK” this season but have brought little by way of meaningful thumping. It’s time to open the corral gates and let these beef critters trample some beleaguered Oilers.

If Blunden is going to stick in the National longer than 3-4 games he also needs to be in on the Running of the Bulls. This will be Blunden’s last Tim Bit in Montreal unless he goes “Pamplona.”

“PAS D’Excuses.” While Canadiens’ fans may be sorely tempted to comfortably fall into the Excuses Trap with 7 experienced NHL’ers out of the lineup one need only look at the depleted roster of the Oil to see that that “explanation” for a subpar performance is “scratched” tonight. And Edmonton was playing badly BEFORE their previous battle(s) of Bull Run lengthened their IR list.

There’s another hard truth that must be confronted: the combined record of the 5 teams that Montreal has beaten is a hapless 15-27-2!!! The Canadiens are 1-3 against teams with winning records.

Wave the red flag at the Habs’ Western Bulls. Pound the Oil while they’re down. This ain’t “Any Given Tuesday.”

And may the “mighty” Ducks soften up the Changing Leaves with 40+ shots tonight. The All-World Leaves goaltending seems to have “changed color,” reverted to the mean, as they face 3 dozen shots every game.

The JV schedule ends at 10:00 PM tonight. Anaheim will be the first Big Test for the Habs on Thursday…The first of many.

“Cannonading drive!!”

• HabsProf says:

“In short, have 17 guys play like Brandon Gallagher.” I don’t know if it was intentional or not, but I laughed at the double-meaning of “in short” wrt Gallagher.

_____________________________________

They brought their f____ing toys with them!

• Timo says:

I look for DD to lead both teams with body checks.

• JUST ME says:

With all due respect the winning against weaker team is B.S.
      It`s 2 points at the end of the season and does not weigh more than any other 2 points.
      It`s the same thing when we say that it`s an honorable loss. We played great but we lost. At the end of the season it still is a loss as any other.

The Habs have to be carefull cause tonight seems to be an easier win than other games and we know what can happen sometimes with those. They play with a lack of motivation and before you know it you`ve fallen behind.

But open play for open play, the habs have a better overall package so go Habs go !

• Ron in Ottawa says:

We have been hearing for years about the need to restock the cupboard in Hamilton. First Gainey then Bergevin said the same thing. So now is the test. A year ago the Sens got hammered with injuries and brought up a bunch of unknowns who not only held their own- they got the Sens into the playoffs and then we all know what happened then. so it’s time for the unknowns who want a crack at the big leagues to step up and prove they can play. Blunden is a good example. I am tired of seeing this guy come up, run around looking lost, go down saying “gotta get focused on my game” tehn come up and do the same thing all over again. And if not Blunden, who else?

9. Gerry H says:

So, I wonder why MT gave up on the Markov/Subban pair. That was a thing of beauty.

10. frontenac1 says:

@burly. That was hilarious amigo! That’s Grapes for sure.

11. Can’t wait to see how he performs!

12. Chuck says:

Can any one remember what the Habs’ record is for the HI/O Summit games?

_______________________
    Anything is possible.

13. frontenac1 says:

Homeboy Taylor Hall is a great guy from a good Family. One of my son”s buddies that played Midget with him confirms it.Saludos!

Hah, reading that falls right in line with the CherryMetrics link I just posted. You’ll love it Front, give it a quick read bud!

CHeers!

• longbow says:

When I watch American Choppers I always think of Don Cherry. Why is that ?

” Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm ” – Winston Churchill

Looks like the Stat boys have just been one upped by Don Cherry.

Here is a finite detailed explanation of how Don Cherry uses Hockey Analytics.

15. 100HABS says:

Re Tiny: I think he’s been taken off his game because he sits. In pre-season (granted, not the best opposition), he was playing better all the time and twice played two games in two nights. Never slowed down.

Cutting him from the line-up cuts his progression… IMHO.

16. Habcouver says:

The Poll question had me picking RNH. BC boy that would bond with CP, Gally and JG (if the latter is not dealt in the fairy tale trade).
    Playmaker and sniper.

Waiting patiently for #25

17. bwoar says:

So, Taylor Hall out 4 weeks…. look like the Oilers should tank, right?

“thoroughbred”

18. jeffhabfan says:

We have to many injuries right now but do you guys think we will be okay for the next few weeks untill we get healthy with the kids.

• Max_a_million says:

I think some positives will come out of it

1. Michel Therrien might actually realize the kid line is our number one line and play them as such. Funnily enough the other teams defenses have already figured this out.

2. Beaulieu, Tinordi, Bournival get real playing time.

3. We might decide to use our speed instead of trying to be tough guys. This always seems to get us in trouble.

4. Ryan White gets a chance to sink or swim without having to look over his shoulder.

• Mattyleg says:

I think we’ll be fine.
      I don’t think we’ll be subjected to the physical beating that some on here are suggesting, but I also think that we’ll struggle to be consistent – sloppy d-zone coverage being my biggest worry.

As long as the kids are willing to play to impress rather than ‘to not make mistakes’.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habcertain says:

I think we are in for a bad stretch, unless Price plays lights out. only 3 forwards and 2 d-men playing with results. guess who? also, I don’t know what is going on with Pleks, but in the o-zone he has become predictable and flat.

• Cal says:

Not quite a free fall, but it isn’t going to look good. The games against the Ducks and Sharks will show the Habs can’t swim with the big ones.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Pacioretty, Emelin and Prust are huge losses. Anyone else? Not so much. I really doubt that Murray would be an upgrade on Bouillon. That´s why I agree with Matty.

• Gerry H says:

Weird. I posted on just this topic earlier this afternoon and it simply vanished into the ether. The team is definitely down on size and grit for the next while and the loss of Pacioretty also trims skill and speed from the roster. I view it as an opportunity for accelerated development of some the prospects, whom we thought just weeks ago were going to be squeezed out of a solid lineup. I like that MT is spreading that development time around.

If they can play .500 or better hockey for the next month or so, I think this team’s prospects for a deep run will be impossible to ignore as the likes of Emelin, Parros, Prust and Pacioretty return, and Briere, hopefully, shows signs of contributing in the post-season.

19. Stevie.Ray says:

I think I’de rather have Holland and Moen switch spots in that lineup.

20. Say Ash says:

Arsenal or Dortmund: Call it!

21. billylove says:

This is the type of game where a coach can make a difference. Despite the injuries, this is a game we should win if MT plays it smart. He should stress discipline and patience and let the Oils, as they often do, make the mistakes that decide the outcome. No need to be physical or even try to outskate them. Clear the zone, limit turnovers and focus on short, crisp passes. Oh and, PK needs to stay out of the box.

• Cal says:

You know, there’s nothing like watching MT out there, skating like the wind, delivering thundering checks and hammering shots….wait a minute. MT doesn’t play? You mean he has to convince about 20 slugs to play with discipline and smarts while slagging PK pubicly? Geez. Tall order.

• John Q Public says:

If you haven’t, watch ch24 flash #9.
        Looks like MT is having triplets.
        Timo might get his wish sooner than expected.
        Paging Dr recchi, code blue.

• billylove says:

How true, silly to think the coach actually coaches/teaches/guides/inspires/mentors/etc/etc to put the team in it’s best position to win. As far as the players are concerned, well, that’s another matter altogether. Rather not go there right now I’m having a rather nice day!

One thing about Tiny is that he looked a lot more physical in pre-season. Not talking about the fights. He was body checking more often and more aggressively and was moving people out of the way with much more rigor.

• Luke says:

The preseason population is largely composed of NHL vets that aren’t trying and players not yet old enough or good enough to sit at the adult’s table.

(hmm… that metaphor may be too mixed. Even for me).

• Mattyleg says:

Hey, if they’re not old enough to sit at the adult’s table, then they should get out of the frying pan because the fire’s not getting any cooler, considering many of them have taken the high road while others haven’t decided which player in whose boots they’d walk a mile.

As the gingerbread man said to the scorpion; if it ain’t chicken, it’ll be lights out until the cows come home to roost.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

It’s easier against AHL and junior competition. Now, Tinordi is out against real NHLers. Not as easy by a long shot.

I agree, and perhaps Luke is right in that the pre-season made it easier for him to be physical. But, I think the presence of Parros and now the lack of presence of Parros is a factor. Watching that Toronto vs Montreal game, Moen, Tinordi were both very physical, knowing that if the T.O. big boys wanted a dance that George was there to waltz with them.

Now that Parros is missing, I wonder if the guys like Tinordi/Moen aren’t as agressive physically knowing the other teams big boys could then come tapping on the shoulder looking for a dance partner.

• Ali says:

Also the coach made some comments in preseason about him looking for hits vs letting hits come to him. Can’t remember which reporter that covers the habs was speculating that may have something to do with him being less aggressive.

• Mattyleg says:

I noticed that too, and I made a comment about it earlier, saying that Tinordi (in my view) seems to have a case of the ‘respects’.

He isn’t throwing himself around and being aggressive because he’s giving the NHLers too much respect. He’s got to play his game, and make his opponents do the same.

Also, he looks like he’s worried about losing his position; in the preseason he had nothing to lose, all to gain; now he has everything to lose and is playing like it.

He needs a good kick up the arse.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bash says:

Trying too hard NOT to make a mistake doesn’t bring out the best in a player.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

23. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

this is gonna be ugly……sigh

24. Le Jadester says:

RE: the Poll Question…….I would love to add Eberlie over the other 3 forsho !

Habs, OLE !

• Luke says:

I agree. Thought the same.

Hall is breaking down.
      RNH looks at Prust’s shoulders and wishes his were that healthy.
      Yak is a 2nd year guy who scored 17 in his first. I suppose it’s him out of those 3.

• Timo says:

I will forever remember Eberle saving Team Canada’s rear ends against the russians in 2009 junior worlds. That was the game where PK was absolutely unreal and Tokarski could not stop a beach ball. It was the most exciting hockey game I have ever been to.

25. Bugs says:

The Oilers stank and stank and pick up all these 1st overallers, and then proceed to stank and stank some more. Why would we pick our apples outta that basket?
    We got Gallagher (…edmontonian, btw) and the Lil Ivan; we’ll be ok.
    The REAL question is (let’s be real here), the REAL question got us all abuzz is what Saku’s gonna get up to 3rd game down the pike.
    Over/under pt production: 1.5
    Call it.

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

• Ali says:

I think the real issue is that brain trust kept drafting forwards when they really should have Ryan Murray over Yakupov. Add him to Justin Schultz, Klefbom and Darnell Nurse and that’s a very good defensive core.

• 123456 says:

totally agree – I do not want yakopov – imagine what his attitude could do to the team. he is certainly a bad apple.

saku one of my fav players – I hope habs win 5 – 1 and saku gets that goal late in the third so the crowd can applaud

• Strummer says:

Having Markov as a mentor maybe what a young Russian dude like Yak needs to get his head straight.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Habfan10912 says:

Hey Bugs! Welcome back. I am looking forward to seeing Saku play as well. I’ll take the over please.

• habs-hampton says:

Is it true that kids in the CHL are “tanking” so they don’t end up ranked #1 and get drafted by the Oilers? ;)

26. frontenac1 says:

@matty. Ok! You’ve convinced me! If soccer were more like Hockey, with body checking and Fights it would be a good game. I would probably start watching it.Saludos Amigo!

27. Strummer says:

Before the 2012 draft the chant was “Fail for Nail”

Now the Oilers are chanting “Fail WITH Nail”

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

28. Habfan10912 says:

Is MT just rotating Tinordi and Beaulieu every other game? It sure looks that way to me. I guess they’re holding the fort until Murray and Emelin return.

29. Stevie.Ray says:

One of my favourite Habs prospects Tim Bozon has been traded from Kamloops to Kootenay. He got off to a slow start this year, but he will look good next to Sam Reinhart.

30. I’ve said this before, but the Rick Nash injury just hammers it home…

What the heck is the point of a three-game suspension in an 82-game season? Especially when the infraction caused serious and potentially lifelong injury to the brain? That’s not a deterrent; that’s a farce. Stuart gets to play 78 games this season, and earns some 96% of his salary. Let’s see how many games Nash plays.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• Habfan10912 says:

Plus we as fans are losing the benefit of one of the games stars.

• Yup. Sad that the league thinks (knows?) most fans would rather see the headshots than the skill.

• J Dub says:

This is what I’ve been saying. When Duncan Keith took out one of the Sedins a few years ago just before the playoffs, he got, like, 5 games, which is meaningless. If there are no significant consequences to injuring talented players, then basically what the rules say is that you *should* try to do it, because it makes strategic sense given the current rules, which is very very ugly.

31. Max_a_million says:

Viable trade scenarios.

So if you want a viable trade let’s look at actual trades for some reality. Kovaluchuck as he was out the door in Atlanta was traded for Oduya, Cormier, Bergfors, and a 1st round draft pick.

bobby Ryan went for a first round pick, Noesen and silvferburg

Now Yakupov is not as established, but he belongs to Edmonton for a long time on the cheap. He isn’t a rental for a season or two.

I think it’s safe to start with a first round draft pick, add at least two highly skilled players to the mix. Probably Beaulieu and Tinordi are pretty close to the talent given up in the other trades.
    So to start conversation we would need to give something up like Beaulieu, Tinordi, and a 1st round pick for Yakupov. Probably another prospect, maybe more. Gallagher is probably interchangeable with one of these guys instead.

They don’t want DD, Gorges, Briere, Bourque, Diaz, Bouillon …
    Yikes people, we don’t want to be trading for Yakupov.

• 123456 says:

who the heck wants yakupov? he’s a cancer.

• veryhabby says:

The only thing Max is that Beaulieu and Tinordi are much more NHL ready and proven then other prospects that went in those trades. So I would think replace one of those Dmen with one of our recent draft picks.

I have read that Edm was ready to pick Fucale and we got to him one or two picks before they were to pick. But I can’t see MTL trading Fucale. Again, I saw on 24CH where MB came into the scout meeting and said, “This year we are drafting a goalie, so do your homework”. So I can’t see us trade him.

A 1st, Beaulieu or Tinordi, one of our recent picks, a depth roster player. This is approx. what I think it would take.

Or a 1st, Gorges, one of our top prospects

But I don’t want to trade for Yak

• Yup. if we’re looking for help at forward, it’s much better to go after the quietly competent 2nd- and 3rd-tier guys, who don’t have all kinds of hype and name recognition pushing their trade value up into the clouds. Guys like Yakupov are a pipe dream for us.

As for some ideas, Steve Ott’s good for the odd goal and solid defensively, is tough as nails, and may be available in Buffalo’s fire sale. Maybe Chris Stewart could be had as well, as he’s had a slow start on a hot team. Clutterbuck’s cap hit is reasonable and has started slow too, though NYI may not want to give up on him so soon after picking him up…

And here’s a crazy idea I’d love: Ryan Smyth. They’ll probably deal him at the deadline if at all, but he’s a UFA with a small cap hit, good for 20 goals or so, tough when he needs to be, and might be just the big veteran leader we need with so many kids filling in. He’d probably cost a 1st ad a solid defensive prospect though, say Nygren? Though that could really come back to bite us if injuries drive the Habs into the basement…

• oldtimerguy says:

sorry max- you’re off on the wrong tangent…think pleks, gorges and a 2nd… Edmonton needs leadership, responsible vets, some defensive defensemen and maybe a draft or prospect…

32. Dunboyne Mike says:

@Matty. That was masterful! Glad you’re the same.
    @Burly. Sorry! It’s very rude, no way of saying, but had to be done. Apologies. DM
    On the road – a pleasant afternoon to all in EDT.

33. keviathan says:

PK ranked fourth in the CBC Olympic power rankings…http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/olympic-power-rankings-canadian-nhl-skaters-week.html
    Also check out Thornton, looks like he just woke up from the Chez Paree bathroom

34. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Catching up on my 24CH. Does anyone know where you can see the English version of the Louis Leblanc talk? My french is good enough to get the gist of most of the show, but for that one I want the full details, very curious to understand exactly what was said.

35. HabFab says:

@HiB – in regards to accommodations for Tinordi and any other “transferred” players.
    page 88 of the CBA;
    - 21 days of hotel accommodations
    - mid size car rental for the same period

36. The Dude says:

This is a game that Budaj should play and we all watch at the start of the 3rd.

37. Bugs says:

What’s with all the Yak-ptui-pov talk?
    What about that Pittburgh guy Sylvester Cosby, or something? Have you seen this guy play? What can we do to get HIM? Honestly, y’all should check this guy out; he’s pretty good at the hockey-playing game thing.
    I would personally enjoy seeing this particular fellow playing on our team and would gladly entertain trading Yakipof for him.

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

38. habs001 says:

Most games in the NHL are close,especially in the playoffs…no super offensive teams and teams that have a bit more offense than others get shut down in the playoffs …In the playoffs a physical mobile d can do wonders…If the Habs are in the playoffs and the current forwards are all healthy i believe the Habs are 2 solid d away from being real contenders(easier said than obtained)…Diaz,Cube and Tinordi out…Emelin,Edler and Seidenberg in…

39. kempie says:

Nice to see Bournival getting to skate with Plex and Gio. That never would have happened under JM. It would have been Moen or Darche for sure.

40. Bugs says:

Gonna tell what you can do with Bree-Ur
    Alright?
    Let you know, dude
    He’s not looking good, he’s out of fight
    Alright?
    Just move himself
    And send him out on a seven-forty-seven
    And lose him-self in the sky
    Among the clouds in the heavens and…

Let this move light up his fuse
    Alright? (alright) alright!
    Let this goof put on his shoes
    And get out (alright?) alright!

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

41. J_P says:

To the lovely HIO community:

If you’re going to make mock trade proposal for yakupov, at least make them realistic. Before writing your proposal, say to yourself “im the oilers, would I even listen to what I am offering as a starting point in a real trade negotiation, or would I just hang up on myself?”

Ive heard on TSN 990 and read on here, some real ridiculous trade proposals today.

42. Sportfan says:

I’m going off the board with that poll I’d rather Eberle

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

43. The Dude says:

I would think it’s maybe a good TIME FOR A TRADE!

44. Cal says:

Why in hell are we being asked about the pathetic Oilers and their draft picks? The answer is obvious: none of the above. Care to ask Oiler fans what they think of the Habs’ draft picks?

45. zephyr says:

beaulieu is a creampuff like diaz & georges. our d is in trouble. markov & bouillon are not big either. we’ve been getting outshot by a mile lately & it doesn’t look like it’s going to get any better. i’m going to record the game 2nite & go see a movie.
    they’re gonna screw up tinordi’s confidence if they’re not careful here. I hope emelin & murray are close.

46. thorandresson says:

Jeez only 2 people have voted for adding Yakupov ( me being one of them), and the reason being that given his chemistry with Galy, I think the 2 of them could light it up, and despire Yakupov’s perceived attitude problem, I bet Galy’s influence could go a long way, and of the 3, Yakupov would be the easiest to get via trade (value wise)

47. thorandresson says:

Does anyone know if Tinordi has been told to find an apartment in Montreal yet? Just curious, since they told Bournival to find one recently. Not that I’m comparing the 2, very different situations and it’s a lot easier to crack the lineup at forward than D.

48. shiram says:

Looking forward to the game tonight, should be an interesting speedy game with not much physical non-sense.
    Bournival will be allowed to skate as he wishes and having him with Pleks and Gio makes for great veteran leadership to support him.
    Seeing Holland is cool too, I have not seen him much, and wonder about him, he was a sizeable piece in the Cammy trade and it would be good if he could turn into a regular NHL player.

DD gets 2 big lugs in Moen and Bourque, and hopefully dimished TOI, but that could be good too, he needs a kick in the butt and if Therrien plays it well it could be a dangerous line.

So yeah, psyked for the game tonight, it should be a good one.

49. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Jordin Tootoo? Whowho would you trade for him? Or would you offer a third round pick? Or would you take him at all? Is he too small at 5-9 199lb for HIO?

• Cal says:

Let him stay in Detroit. We have our very own nutbar in Ryan White.
      Another would be redundant.

• Ali says:

Therrien has nutured Ryan White. He’s not been the same since the Buffalo incident. He needs to be a tad smarter than that, but guys like him need to play on the edge. You have to live with the fact that sometimes they’ll go over the line.

50. Max_a_million says:

@Luke -
    5 lbs over an entire roster is such a huge difference. Have you ever fought anyone that weighs 5 lbs more than you? It’s a weight class difference in pretty much all fighting sports. It adds up, and over an entire roster. Yes sure you can come up with individual counter examples, but over an entire roster it really adds up. The other roster will have counter examples as well.
    Things do rest on the mean, outliers are on the margin for a reason.

• Habsrule1 says:

I fought a guy 5 pounds heavier than me and I didn’t get beat any worse than by the guy who was 5 pounds lighter.

Go Habs Go!!

• Luke says:

Weight classes are more than 5 pound swings usually.
      Using the UFC as an example 146 – 155. 155-169. 170-184. 185-205. 226-265.

Again though, weight has nothing to do with toughness. I’ve seen plenty of giant bouncers get popped by people who are a lot smaller.
      Goalies included… over an ENTIRE roster of 23 people, the Leafs weigh 115 lbs more than the Habs. Thats just 2/3 of a Desharnais. And all of those 115 extra pounds aren’t on the ice at the same time.
      The average weight as a sign of success doesn’t hold water for me. IIRC the Hawks ain’t exactly giants. They, not unlike the Habs, do have some Big guys… but their best players aren’t. Perhaps it isn’t about how big a player is. Maybe it’s how good a player is.

51. boing007 says:

Diaz, LeBlanc, Ellis for Yakupov. Yak & Yuk, Together Again.
    Vroom! Vroom!

Richard R

Starting to look like Rick Nash could miss a significant amount of time due to concussion. Not a good situation at all.

• shiram says:

I really dislike the Rangers, a bit less now that they have Vigneault instead of Torts, but still hate them, so…
      That said Nash is a tremendous player

• Mattyleg says:

Once again, bodychecks should be like shoulder-tackle in soccer; to bump the opposition off the puck or knock them off the path that they want to take with the puck.

Imagine in soccer if a player ran across the field to shoulder-tackle another player! They’d get a red card!

When a player has the puck on the boards, that doesn’t mean that another can come and plaster him. That player should be after the puck, not the player.

Also, when a player no longer has the puck, or the puck hasn’t reached him yet, they should not be the target of a bodycheck. That’s interference or charging.

Hopefully one day soon refs will start calling these sorts of infractions the way they should, and the injury count will drop dramatically.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Forum Dog says:

We love the entertainment value of a good hard hit, but players who take runs at other players (i.e. Downie on Josi) should be suspended for the intent of their actions. Which is to injure someone.

It’s a fine line though. Subban lighting up Marchant is a beautiful thing for Habs fans. But Bruins fans, they might think he ran him. There is no rigid guideline for what is a good hit and what is not. More of a sliding scale….

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Soccer? Heck, soccer players get brushed and then roll around on the field for five minutes and act like they’be been shot. Hockey players pull out their own teeth and don’t miss a shift. Please never make that comparison again. Hockey IS a contact sport. Sheesh.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk but … there is fighting in hockey.

• frontenac1 says:

Hockey should be more like soccer?

• Walmyr says:

no….too many skaters on the ice…(this joke was a crap one…I know…)

• Mattyleg says:

Fronty and Tom,
          Soccer is a physical game as well, and apart from the odd floppers and rollers, soccer players are a tough lot too.

I’m not saying that hockey should be like soccer; hockey is like soccer. The rules are the same – bodychecks are allowed, but not for their own sake. You can’t just hit any player anywhere on the ice, and you can’t run/skate at a player to hit him.

“42.1 Charging – A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.
          Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.”

This means that you can’t skate at a player in the desire of hitting him. You have to be alongside him and check him.

This is never called, and it should be.

If a player has the puck and another player hammers him, then that’s legal, much like most of Emelin’s hits, because he’s not actually skating AT the player to do it.

It’s just the rules, guys.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habsrule1 says:

Soccer players are tough? I’ve yet to see a game where I would classify any of the players on the field as tough, but I’ve seen many where I would classify half of them as sissies:

Pretty much any that have the least bit of contact made to them.

Go Habs Go!!

• Mattyleg says:

Sorry bud, but many of them take advantage of the single ref to try to get fouls called, while many more of them take their lumps and stick with it.

It’s a shame that a few floppers have given the sport such a bad rap.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habsrule1 says:

You’re probably right on both counts. I don’t watch enough to have an educated opinion, but it seems like every time I do watch I see a few guys screaming in agony then getting up like nothing happened.

Go Habs Go!!

• DipsyDoodler says:

“Imagine in soccer if a player ran across the field to shoulder-tackle another player! ”

Surprised no one has thought of that.

I think a whole bunch of sports could be re-branded and marneted to a whole new North American demographic if they added hockey style intimidation and fights. Tennis. Golf. Synchronized swimming.

• Cal says:

As long as goons like Campbell are helping run the NHL into the ground, called infractions will be infrequent and biased. The NHL’s refereeing system is a complete joke.

• Habs_Norway says:

Where’s the bucket?

______________________________________
        Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

53. Max_a_million says:

We need to have the choice in every future poll that ever comes up in the future. That the team we like 2nd after the Canadiens is NO OTHER TEAM! All other teams can suck my butt.

54. Max_a_million says:

Topics for fun debate:
    1. Really, Patrick Roy wasn’t a good coaching choice because???

The Avalanche were supposed to be crappy on defence, crappy in goal, and too young on offence … pretty universal opinion of those in the know.

2. The player that 24ch has led you to like much more than you realized?

3. The one player you would cut if you could, like they do in the NFL?

5. Your favorite non-superstar/hall of fame hab of the past?

8. What do you think about those big beards that seem to be in style?

9. Favorite Broadway show?

10. Best restaurant in Montreal?

• shiram says:

1. Really, Patrick Roy wasn’t a good coaching choice because???

I did not question Roy’s ability as a coach, just thought that he was not the best fit for Montreal, but none of the guys available at the time seemed like good fit to me anyways.

2. The player that 24ch has led you to like much more than you realized?
      None really, Pleks is still my fave, and Eller second.

3. The one player you would cut if you could, like they do in the NFL?
      Brière/DD, let Chucky play center

I was for signing Prust when he was UFA and was quite pleased that we did

5. Your favorite non-superstar/hall of fame hab of the past?
      going recent too, but Hamrlik was awesome and undervalued by alot

maybe the green and white jersey? I don’t know, we got the best jersey in the league, no need for a third

flight, makes morning commute more fun

8. What do you think about those big beards that seem to be in style?
      as a guy with a big beard, I love ‘em, more man should ditch the razor

9. Favorite Broadway show?
      none, haven’t had the chance to see any

10. Best restaurant in Montreal?
      I’m not of a fancy palate, and don’t have the financial ressources of some, so my choice would pale compared to others. Schwartz was awful though, and I feel a need to say as it’s constantly recommended and was such a horrible let-down

• 123456 says:

1. Really, Patrick Roy wasn’t a good coaching choice because???
      Did not have a lot of coaching experience – the list of guys with limited experience that are successful is much much smaller than the list of guys with limited experience that end up stinking!! (remember bouche – we all loved him right??)

2. The player that 24ch has led you to like much more than you realized? Gally

3. The one player you would cut if you could, like they do in the NFL?
      briere – only if the cut free up cap space

4. The trade or free agent acquisition that most pleased you? Doesn’t have to be recent. – recently it was prust – IMO he added so much to the team

5. Your favorite non-superstar/hall of fame hab of the past? tie: naslund, koivu, Racicot (because of the nickname)

6. What color and patter could a third jersey be? No barber poles please, nor anything that looks maple-leafish. NONE NONE NONE – classy teams do not have made up 3rd jerseys

7. What would you rather have for a super power flight or invisibility? What would you do with your power? invisibility – reason is two fold. one sneak into hockey strategy sessions of habs and opponents. two sneak into ……. (well lets just say I have some very attractive neighbors)

8. What do you think about those big beards that seem to be in style? like them – and so glad duck dynasty does not refer to the hockey team

9. Favorite Broadway show? pass

10. Best restaurant in Montreal? only two trips and both were 1 night trips to games and then return – so arena food or fast food…. kinda sad I know. both trips I had young kids with me

• jrs10069 says:

1) Because the habs organization thinks they are too good for him
      2) Galchenyuk – awesome player, really nice kid
      3) Briere hands down, DD next though he has been skating much better lately
      4) Cole year 1…what a stud
      5) Vinny D – he’ll be a habs coach one day. Only guy with any brains on Anti chambre
      6) No comment…2 we got are good enough
      7) Invisibility…have all kinds of fun
      8) Love ‘em
      9) Kidding right…
      10) Depends what you’re looking for but if it’s on the company, i’m going to Toque

jrs10069

• Max_a_million says:

1. I just think Patrick has that ‘It’ factor that makes him a winner. I wish we had him even though Therrien has done a lot of good.

2. I like Prust bravado in the locker room, and Eller makes me laugh

3. Desharnais …. 4 years ugghhhh

4. Cole, he is a scary checking beast who can play on a scoring line.

5. I will say Lyle Odelien. I saw him grab a guy by the top of the head, spin him around, and knock him down with a huge punch. I was super impressed. I love Claude Lemeiux’s gusto!

6. We shouldn’t have one for the team. I would like to see what a negative with blue and red switched would look like for fun.

7. Invisibility … I like the idea of sitting in on hockey meetings I am stealing that idea

8. Beards are so itchy, everytime I think I want one I quickly realize I don’t like them.

9. Book of Mormon or Chicago

10. I really enjoyed L’express on St. Denis. Hidden away Bistro with only a sign on the sidewalk.

What happened with Brown? Did Oilers send him down? Or just sitting him for tonight?

56. krob1000 says:

I sure hope this move isn’t a “showcasing” of Beaulieu?

57. habsguru says:

how many games has Blunden played under MT as coach?

58. Habs1962 says:

NB has the speed against the young oil offence. Good decision.
    Hopefully the boys dig deep tonight and for the next couple games with the guys injured, GHG

59. krob1000 says:

Interesting…with so many of the tougher guys out one would think they may use Tinordi…BUT…the Oilers just got rid of Brown and are missing Hall and Eberle..gonna try and outskill them. Their injuries are as bad as the Habs and they are not the toughest team to play against either. Should be some room out there for the kid line again tonight..YAk will want to show something after his last head to head performance with Galchenyuk ..and he will get some serious quality time with Eberle and Hall out…gotta keep Yak in check tonight.

60. TheMostCupsPeriod says: