Beantown beat-down

A long and ugly night.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

• Hickey on the goalie “fight”

Quick hits and About last night …

Arpon Basu on Scott Gomez

Stephen Harris of the Boston Herald offers his view

• Pierre Durocher on Lars Eller

1. SLYDER says:

really?

somebody needs to remind you where Laviolette is currently coaching….

okay, i will…..ever heard of the Philadelphia Flyers?

2. TommyB says:

I wanted to comment about the “goalie fight”. First of all, there wasn’t really any reason for Thomas to head down the ice. He could have skated to centre and watched to see if Price would join the action in that end, and then he could go charging in to even the numbers. But Thomas felt like being a Big Bad Bruin in front of the home crowd, so he ran down there. He gets there, only to realize that “holy sh#t, this kid is big, and I’m f’n old”. So he grabs onto Price’s sweater and hopes to hell Price doesn’t land a good one. I give Price all the credit in the world here. He showed a great deal of class. There was only one way Price could win in that situation, and it was by doing what he did, which was to just hold Thomas and not pummel the old gent. Price would have been crucified in the press for beating up an old man, or he would have been ridiculed in the press for getting beat up by an old man. Looked like a no-win situation for Price, yet he found a way to come out on top. One smart young man there.

3. N.B.habs fan says:

What bothers me the most is the 3 players sitting out most of the 3rd period,should of had them out there to get their butts kicked for hiding on the bench.time to have these guy in the press box and bring up a few bulldogs that have more heart .I REALLY HATE GOMEZ………

4. Hobie Hansen says:

I’d have to agree Gauthier is finally thinking of doing something about our inability to play in games like last night’s.

5. Displaced says:

Shhhh.  Don’t let people hear you dissing Gomez.

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

6. SeriousFan09 says:

We’ll know tonight Ian what the throwback to 70s hockey did for the Habs. Hopefully this fires Pouliot up. The kid is not a self-starter is his issue, seems to need someone to inspire him to get his butt moving.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

7. TommyB says:

It might have reminded me of those old days, and it might have been enjoyable too.  Except for one tiny problem.  And I mean “tiny”.  I don’t enjoy watching my team get a beat down like that.  The Habs cannot match the Bruins or any other “bigger” team in the fighting or intimidation department.  In the old days, they could give as good as they recieved, if not better.  Last night saddened me.

8. J_P says:

Tim Thomas is also one of the oddest players, personality-wise, in the National Hockey League.

9. SmartDog says:

Plekanec line +/-  0

Gomez line  +/-  -4

There’s your game story and the story of our season.

10. forskis says:

I just read that Boston article and it made me angry…Marchand is an idiot as is the reporter…so apparently gooning it up is ok when you are leading, the Habs are a bunch of cheapshot artists and divers who would rather play hockey than fight, but the B’s are just some honorable tough team…I am sure Krecji appreciated getting dropped with one punch when it did not really have to happen.

I hope the hockey gods see what happened last night and read about it and brings down some divine hockey retribution….

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

11. Cool Ice Price says:

Price needs to get back in net tonight. He needs a good rebound game.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

I think Auld is getting the start tonight, Price had a long night and would do well to recharge and refocus in practice. NYI are bringing out what, their 5th-stringer in nets? Use Auld when the compeition is junk. Habs can’t beat them with Auld they don’t deserve to win.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

13. jimmy shaker says:

Wow, people talk about MAB and his defensive zone miscues…….I’ve never seen a forward so lost in his zone as Gomez was tonight.  It was shocking how bad he was.  Ak and eller just seemed to be victims of Gomer’s laziness as well.  Now like the rest of you guys on here, I hate seebass sitting up there in the presser, lucheese, thornton, dr.suess horton, flamer farence and igor, basically the whole team……I too was yelling at the telly and getting very animated.  Thankfully the wife and the kiddies were sleeping.  I was yelling at PG to do something, but as I’ve calmed down and thought about the game, I realized that the cubs are a tough team.  Basically they have almost 8 or 10 guys who can throw em, and the habs have what….Moen and I think that’s it.  So we are never going to match them in toughness, so I got that notion of PG going out and signing carkner, neil etc etc. out of my mind pretty fast.  Although Neil would be nice, he wouldn’t be able to take on the cubs roster by himself tonight.   The habs are a small, skilled team who can’t match any team in the fisticuffs/toughness department.  We all have to except that, and understand that come playoff time, this game will never happen again.  Sure it sucks that we got fed, but the boys stood up as best they could, they never gave up, and just need to take care of business the next 2 games, while the wings will take care of the cubs as they play twice against eachother, and by the end of the weekend we can be back up a top of the division where the boys belong.  Cheers, and I can’t believe that I can hate a human being as much as I hate Mcguire, what a pathetic scalped puke.

shaker

14. forskis says:

All these teams keying in on PK is also making me start to think that it is not because he is an important player….when teams go 2 or 3 against 1 every time…I am more and more bring out the race card.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

15. coachdoug says:

You could see this game coming at some point in the season…

As much as everyone is trashing Lucic and Horton those guys can and will fight and they can play hockey…I think Lucic has more goals than our leading scorer…I would have signed either in a heartbeat if I was GM…

The fighting isn’t so much the problem as the hard checking and battles on the boards…we have a handful of guys who can play that way…Yapping during the scrums is stupid if you can’t back it up…Bruins cashed it in on a few last night…

We don’t need a “goon” but we need a few guys who can hold their own in a physical game and fight besides Moen and apparently Benny…

Players get injured in fights and it does affect them mentally when they play the team again…Bruins did it because they could last night…Habs would have done the same, but we can’t play that game…

While their is no fighting in the playoffs their is some pretty physical play…we are not ready for that right now…

16. Cool Ice Price says:

I understand. But if Price played tonight he would not have time to stu about last night;s game though.

17. SeriousFan09 says:

Sometimes him stewing on an L isn’t a bad thing, after the 2009 playoffs, he was 6-0 against the Bruins until tonight. He’ll get back in on Saturday and want to serve the Leafs their lunch I imagine.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

18. coachdoug says:

They are keying in on him because he is going for big hits and yaps during the scrums…they also read the press and know he is the subject of some scrutiny…

He is also a very good D-man and they are trying to get him off his game like they would any other player…

19. Big Ted says:

I don’t even know where to start about last night’s game against the B’s. I guess first of all, let’s just say that neither coach had to be happy with the way their team played defense last night. The players were all over the ice, as if it was 5-on-5 pond hockey and no one really had a position to cover. How many times did we see two of our guys covering one of their guys and leaving another man wide open in the slot or crease? Sadly, this didn’t change as the game went along either, meaning there were no adjustments made. The team seemed to get caught up in the fighting and scoring and forgot altogether about puck movement, defensive zone coverage, or back-checking.

Usually, after a dirty game like this one, we talk about what penalties were missed, but again, I want to focus this time on not just what could have been a penalty but what could have merited a misconduct or game misconduct:

– Marchand had two hits from behind and one late hit after a whistle, which started a brawl. He made several hits that put our players’ safety in jeopardy and that is the type of thing we should have had a big guy come and pound on him for. After the game, he had the nerve to comment on the Habs being the dirty team and running interference on him, but come on man, no one’s broken their neck from interference, but plenty have been hurt by slewfoots, shots form behind, and late hits while they’re touching up the puck. Marchand could have easily been given a major penalty on at least one occasion.

– Price definitely gave out the first shot on Lucic, I won’t argue that, and Lucic came back at him with a push. But then he dropped himself on top of Price, and after the scrum had broken up and the refs pulled him away, he went back at Price for a gratuitous shot late. Giving him an extra two wasn’t enough. This was possibly the moment when the refs lost control of the game, after letting Lucic off easy. He should have received a 10 minute misconduct for unsportsmanlike play after the fight had been broken up.

– During the brawl after the late Marchand hit, Chara came running in and started hitting Pacioretty after the latter was already engaged with another Bruin. Now I understand Chara had a score to settle, but when your 6’9″ and your half a foot taller than your opponent, have the guts to do it face to face while the refs are there. I thought that was an utterly cowardly move from Chara, the same guy who refused to fight Laraque how many times last year? Nevertheless, the refs let Chara off easy in this case by awarding everyone 2 minute roughing penalties. Chara must have landed a good 8-10 punches and all the players had their gloves off throwing them. This wasn’t a scrum with player holding each other, there were punches flying, and Chara was quite obviously the 3rd man into that fight and should have been expelled from the game.

– Thomas, on the same play, came flying down the ice looking for a fight. If that’s not an instigator penalty, what is? I think it’s pretty obvious Thomas was the first one to want to fight given that he traveled 170 feet to do so. Not only was no instigator penalty called, each goalie also received the same penalty for “leaving the crease.” However, if you look at the replay, Price was still in his crease and it was the referee who can be seen pulling Price out of the crease. So how can the ref penalize him for that? In any case, Thomas should have been expelled as well for instigating a fight and for doing so while another fight was in progress. The Bruins seemed to think this would be the case also, since they had Rask getting ready and because they have gone through this before and their goalies have previously been sent to the showers for the same thing.

– Gregory Campbell in one of the last fights, beat Tom Pyatt to a pulp, but the replay shows he was hitting Pyatt repeatedly with the plastic of his elbow pad. Now I know that if a player is wearing a cast or protective gear, he’s not allowed to fight with this one, or it’s an automatic game misconduct and suspension. I don’t see how this is much different. Campbell was using his gear as a weapon and clearly did damage because he cut Pyatt on the cheek. It wasn’t like it was 1 or 2 shots where he couldn’t get it out of the way, Campbell continued to use it even though Pyatt had pretty much turtled and wasn’t throwing punches. This to me was one of the worst offences of the night, and on the theme of the Bruins being hypocrites when it comes to headshots and player safety, it showed zero respect for an opponent. To me, this is a minimum 5 game suspension for a guy who is a repeat offender. I don’t know how the league can turn a blind eye to a guy using a weapon in a fight.

– Finally, Adam McQuaid attempted to start a fight with Max Pacioretty at the end of the game. And once again, the refs chickened out and gave him 4 minutes for roughing, but when you drop the gloves and throw that many punches to the back of an opponent’s head, to me that’s fighting, and to boot, it’s instigating a fight in the last 5 minutes of a game, which again should have been a game misconduct (a moot point by then) and possibly a 1-game suspension (not a moot point).

This is not to say the Habs were clean all night, they did their fair share of hitting and fighting too, but I just can’t believe how many possible suspendable or ejectable offences were not taken seriously enough, and then you wonder why the game gets out of control when players get off-setting minors for repeatedly slamming someone in the head. For clarification, this is the official NHL rule on what constitutes a fight:

“46.1 Fighting – A fight shall be deemed to have occurred [b]when at least one player[/b] (or goalkeeper) punches or attempts to [b]punch an opponent repeatedly[/b] or when two players wrestle in such a manner as to make it difficult for the Linesmen to intervene and separate the combatants.”

To me, McQuaid meets this definition, as does Chara when he was the third man in.

Regarding Campbell, I think he meets this NHL definition of what an aggressor in a fight is:

“46.2 Aggressor – The aggressor in an altercation shall be the player who continues to throw punches in an attempt to inflict punishment on his opponent who is in a defenseless position or who is an unwilling combatant.

A player must be deemed the aggressor when he has clearly won the fight but he continues throwing and landing punches in a further attempt to inflict punishment and/or injury on his opponent who is no longer in a position to defend himself.

A player who is deemed to be the aggressor of an altercation shall be assessed a major penalty for fighting and a game misconduct.

A player who is deemed to be the aggressor of an altercation will have this recorded as an aggressor of an altercation for statistical and suspension purposes.”

With respect to Lucic going back after Price once the fight had broken up, the rulebook says this:

“46.5 Continuing or Attempting to Continue a Fight – Any player who persists in continuing or attempting to continue a fight or altercation after he has been ordered by the Referee to stop, or who resists a Linesman in the discharge of his duties shall, at the discretion of the Referee, incur a misconduct or game misconduct penalty in addition to any penalties imposed.”

This is the rule re: Thomas coming down the ice to start a fight after the original scrum, and note that the original scrum does not necessarily have to be called a fight, just an “altercation,” which is defined as any incident involving two players where at least one is penalized:

“46.7 Fighting After the Original Altercation – A [b]game misconduct penalty shall be imposed[/b] on any player who is [b]assessed a major penalty for fighting after the original altercation[/b] has started.

Notwithstanding this rule, at the discretion of the Referee, the automatic game misconduct penalty may be [b]waived[/b] for a player or goalkeeper in the altercation [b]if the opposing player was clearly the instigator[/b] of the altercation”

Again, after reading over the rules, there is no doubt in my mind several of the Bruins players could have and should have been tossed from this game and failure to do so by less-than-competent refs led directly to more play outside the rules as the night went on, putting the safety of the players and the integrity of the contest in jeopardy.

20. forskis says:

I did not see Patrice Bergeron mixing it up last night…does that mean by the definition of the B’s that he is a diving, cheapshot coward too?

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Very good breakdown, unfortunately you’re making too much sense for the NHL to take you seriously.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

22. forskis says:

I will go for your second statement since that is more likely the case….however, I have an issue with the yapping…everyone complains about his yapping during scrums…but ALL teams do it whether it starts a fight or not, so what is the big deal about PK yapping?

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

23. BJ says:

Good observations. You must have some sort of record for the longest post? Good points nonetheless.

24. Julie H says:

Besides it’s not like he has thaaat much time to stu. We play the Laughs on Saturday. I’m sure he’ll be back in form by then.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

25. forskis says:

On the bright side…it takes about 10-15 punches to drop a Hab but it takes only one punch to drop a Bruin.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

On the bright side, it sometimes takes a good licking for a team to get their act together. Including Gauthier, I’ll just bet there will be meetings in the GM’s office today my friends.!

27. scrowe21 says:

LOL. Bennys got that reach. Looked good in his fight last year too

28. Cool Ice Price says:

Would would think so Ian. But IMO, teh Habs won’t learn or change anything.

Just wish he would put in the same effort while playing.!

30. SeriousFan09 says:

Krejci has the distinct honour of being the only hockey player to lose fights to Mike Cammalleri and Benoit Pouliot.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

31. forskis says:

The B’s play the Red Wings next…what are the odds that they will goon it up against the Red Wings?  It would be neat to see Lidstrom kick some butt…

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

32. Ton says:

reading the posts please have some perspective

1. we have had more success than the bruins in the last 30 years

2. we have worked are way out of getting beat up in the past although its more important to win games!!!!

3. we have better goaltending and more integrety

players like Cam Neely and Lucic are cowards. they live the sword and die by the sword. still to this day Neely cries the blues but when he picked the right opponent he would decline and get a beating…….ie corson, wendel clarke.  lucic is the same ex BGL.  they are weak on the blue line and in most cases 6 goals we have won us any game……… relax its not over.  Boston and Philly are alike and we will find a way for we need to re tweak the team and they will the the gate way into the finals for the next two to five years.  we cannot trade away draft picks in order to keep up with boston’s stock pool of youth.  honestly with gorges and Markoff and Cammi I like our chances……..agree?

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Yeah, I hear you can get those guys for 5th-round picks these days. Playoff race is wide-open, panic is what results in bad trades and lost assets for diminished returns. This is not a Cup Year and the management knows the needs already, but they can’t rush into a deal to please fans when they want an immediate solution.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

34. Mattyleg says:

We’re comfortably in sixth, three out of fifth, and four out of third. We got to the conference finals last year.

What makes you think we need a new coach?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. Mattyleg says:

I don’t know why everyone is being so glum and apocalyptic!

Neither team played defensively, and we lost the turkey-shoot, but otherwise, it was great old-timey hockey!

We dropped the gloves and met them one-on-one. Krejci got dropped with one punch, and we rassled ’em pretty good. We took our licks too, Pyatt getting a bit cut, and Spatch acting as a punching-bag, but who cares?

As I’ve said many times, it’s not about who wins the fights, it’s about the willingness to drop the gloves in the first place. Look at Kosto. He lost nearly every fight he was ever in, but every time he threw ’em down, it boosted the team.

I’m sure that there was very little doom and gloom in the dressing-room.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. SmartDog says:

There could be a silver lining here if Gauthier goes out and gets us what we obviously need – a hard ass top 6 forward…. and a hard-ass top 4 defenceman too but that’s dreaming.

…. and a new coach would be nice but yeah, Christmas is 320-something days away.

—-

“It bothers me…there are old coaches in the league today that don’t know how to deal with these young personalities.” – Mike Peca on JM handling of PKS

37. Cool Ice Price says:

Spot on BT spot on my good man

38. Julie H says:

Most thugs are cowards, so I agree with you there. I think we will be ok. I don’t think we need to stack up on goons. Someone posted yesterday “beat em on the scoreboard, not the back alley.” It’s 100% true. We have speed, finess, we should use those and other aspects of our team game to get points.

39. Ton says:

Ian how does one explain it; size, reach, stride, shot, punch…….could it be he’s weak on his skates, he falls alot.

40. Ton says:

do u like his yapping? that alone would iniate a comment about emotional stability!!!  play the game, i like him but just play the game…..

41. SeriousFan09 says:

The final part of my review of Gauthier’s 1st year as General Manager is up.

You can catch it here http://bit.ly/gmPDfL

I’ve also re-uploaded Parts 1 and 2 to my Blog so the order isn’t so weird on the calender listings on the site for those who missed it.

Part 1 http://bit.ly/gTVrJH

Part 2 http://bit.ly/i91AVg

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

42. Mattyleg says:

What do we have to learn or change? Not let in 8 goals? It’s not like that’s happened too many times this season. Not step up and refuse to be intimidated? I think skating away from confrontations is a bad strategy.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

43. Ton says:

spatch whatever his name is , waive him now, today>gone. he’s an abarrassment.

44. Julie H says:

Exerpt from stupid Boston article “Brad Marchand and No. 1 star Nathan Horton (goal, four assists) were after Habs blueliner P.K. Subban all night. Subban is a guy with talent, but he looks to have a few screws loose emotionally”

45. The Cat says:

I was glum and apocalyptic before being glum and apocalyptic was cool ^_^

46. Cool Ice Price says:

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size if the fight in the dog! It’s doesn’t matter how many times you get knocked down what matters is you get back up! AND the Habs got back up!

47. adamkennelly says:

you are one serious “glass half full” dude. I disagree. Team got punked and beaten last night. Worse than the beatdowns in my opinion was our team allowing Lucic to engage with Price and the entire Boston team to target Subban.  How many other teams would allow that stuff to happen.  Its embarassing and needs to be addressed.  You know how you address it- next time we play them – you make sure you have players in the line up ready to challenge Lucic, and Campbell and McQuaid and for good measure – take a few cheap shots at Thomas and Seguin if they have the balls to play him.

I agree its not really about who wins 1 fight but when a team clearly dominates you physically – its a problem.  There was no doom and gloom in the dressing room but there was a ton of very very pissed off adult male professional athletes who felt like they just got themselves in a situation that their boss did not properly arm them to deal with.

Pleks, Giota, Moen, Patches, Pyatt, Subban – they would all prefer to not have to deal with that crap.

Its fixable – fix it.

48. Julie H says:

Agreed. Unless he’s trying to be the next Sean Avery, he should demonstrate his prowess and skill on the ice and keep his beak zipped.

49. Mattyleg says:

What a trendsetter. 😛

—Hope Springs Eternal—

50. Rudy says:

Agree 100%

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

51. The Cat says:

A hard ass that would be allowed to take bad penalties once in a while…Not gonna happen with JM… The man had Andre Roy and Rob Ray glued to the bench as the leafs were slowly psychologically destroying the senators.

52. RGM says:

A couple of quick responses…

Carey had left his crease early in the scrum to try and break things up, which is why he got the 2 minutes (and $200 fine, as we learned from TSN after the game) for the leaving the crease penalty.

I am quite certain that there are going to be some fines and phone calls made today regarding all the brawling in this game. I am shocked that there were no penalties given out for instigating a fight in the last five minutes of the game just to clear some of the dunderheads out and prevent further melees. If we hear nothing at all from the NHL about Campbell using his equipment as a weapon I will not be surprised – gotta protect his kid, Colin does.

The refs definitely let this game get out of hand. After the scrimmage near the end of the first period, the powder keg had been lit.

53. Mattyleg says:

I don’t think that we were dominated physically.

They came after us, but we were able to stand up to them. You think that Moen or Subban or Gionta can’t stand up for themselves? You’ve got to be kidding me.

The days of the ‘enforcer’ are over. IF we get someone who is a big fighter, he’d better be able to play as well as he fights, or there’s no room for him on the team, in my opinion.

Plus, once it comes down to the playoffs, nobody fights anymore. Look at Carolina. They won the Cup under Laviolette’s strict ‘no fighting’ orders.

People are over-reacting to this game, in my opinion. I think we stood up for ourselves.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

54. RGM says:

You’re being too kind. Gomez was -4. The line was a combined -12.

55. SeriousFan09 says:

That’s part of his game though, it’s how he keeps the star players he defends against off-balance. PK is playing his style right now, it’s when a player gets away from his game that he has trouble.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

56. J_P says:

*Carey Price should not start tonight, and not because I blame last nights loss on him, but because the kid needs a rest.  He should have never started that game against New Jersey (a non-playoff team) on Sunday.  He looked tired, and towards the end of the game, was downright frustrated.  Auld should get the start tonight, and Jacques Martin should come out and say that starting auld tonight was the plan all along.

*What a brutal defense from both teams last night.  A lot of the goals were nice, but only happened because everyone had so much time and space to operate.  The Gomez/AK46/Eller line should be ashamed of themselves.  That was an absolute pathetic display on their part.

*Turning point, IMO, was Desharnais’ brutal penalty in the third period.  Why he didn’t just let the boston player go into the corner, I have no idea.  Desharnais had position on him, and there was no reason to take an interference penalty there.

*Boston did an excellent job of getting the habs off their game plan.  I admire the fight back, but instead of trying to win the game, and playing defense, the habs were caught running around trying to hit the Boston players.  Team’s need to play to their strengths, and the habs played right into Boston’s.

*To those of you crying for size, there is no evidence to indicate that having a Chris Neil, Cal Clutterbuck, Derek boogard, or Cam Janssen in the line up would have deterred Boston from playing the way they did.  Boston played their game, and it took us off ours.

*”Beantown beat-down” as a title is completely played out.  A little more creativity please.

Overall, they need to let that game go and move on.  Tonight’s a great chance to get another 2 points in standings, and they need to be focused.

57. Grumpyoldhab says:

Great article Big Ted. Thanks for putting up the rules. My main concern now is I have my doubts about Jackass Jim or PG addressing the breakdown in officiating with the league.

58. Mattyleg says:

Thank you.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

59. Stuck_in_To. says:

That was a bump in the road and should be a meaningless loss in terms of building the team’s psyche. The Habs played as poorly as the Bruins played well and then (for both) only in spurts. There was great push back, there was attempts to comeback and, most important, there was no backing down. Some of Boston’s goals were (I grudgingly admit) beautiful. But on most nights — and especially those nights when Mtl. is playing team defense — those passes do not thread the needle and the rebound to the open side of the net is not uncontested. One thing about Boston though is that they do have the size and the talent to get hot if and when they score first. Had Mtl. scored first you’d have seen a different game. It is a hard element to control but there you go: it is a serious factor when playing a team as good as Boston. But “Beatdown in Beantown”? Come on. Hardly. And just to reiterate, first goal and the speed game and Boston’s big boys are crying all over the ice. Go Habs go!

60. volcano62 says:

I absolutely loved the game last night even though we lost. This is hockey I used to watch and adored as a kid. Reminds of old rival games like habs-bruins, habs-nordiques even habs-sabres and habs-whalers.

With that said, the only problem last night was Gomez. i don’t care how many cups he has, he is brutal on defense and offence and also waste of cap space. Think of what the Habs can get with that 7 M……..

Sad part is we will never be able to unload him to any of the 29 other teams :(

What other options do we have?

61. theremster says:

Completely agree. People are ragging on Eller, not realizing that Gomez has been in the NHL for 15 years and has done crap the last two games. Eller is still learning, he will be good once he starts putting goals up. Gomez was really the only one scared of physical play last night, as usual…

62. The Cat says:

Price and Thomas are friends you know. It was stupid of Thomas to do that however. Neither had intentions of really fighting.

63. The Cat says:

Maybe a team with cap space that could use some offense and really really wants to make the playoffs could be talked into taking Gomez…L.A. perhaps?

64. TommyB says:

Excellent perspective of what actually happened last night.

65. jbroderi says:

marchand is a little pansy, Lucic is the biggest pussy in the NHL, because he only fights guys smaller than him. marchand was running his mouth after the game about how little Montreal is and how tough the Bruins are. If there was any form of officiating in the game, this garbage wouldn’t happen. I thought the whole point of the “new NHL” was to get rid of all the dirty crap. I’m all for a rough hockey game, when both teams participate, but you can’t be allowed to bully and take liberties on a team and not suffer the consequences with penalties. This game was a microcosm (not sure of the spelling) of the NHL the last couple of seasons. The zero tolerance is gone out the window, with refs letting most things go until they decide to make a cheap call for one reason or another. I am not going to say that the refs are against montreal, because I see these poorly officiated games all the time, but the officiating mostly affects teams like Montreal, who want to play fast hockey between the whistles.

It is tough to watch a team that should get tons of power plays, get no more, or even less than a team of goons who do nothing but obstruct and take liberties while the refs have their head and whistles up their butts.

On a seperate note, Campbell should be suspended 5 games for knowingly throwing punches with his elbow pad over his fist. He threw at least four punches like this. He knew that the elbow pad was over his hand and has the responsibility to stop. He could have taken Pyatts eye out. Fat chance for any punishment though. We all know that the clowns run the circus in the NHL War Room!!

I would like to see Neil, but fat chance that Lucic would even fight with him. We need Gauthier to get a little tougher, but also send the NHL some sign that this is utter BS!! “I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

66. RC-51 says:

Read somewhere Thomas saying Price showed some class by not punching him when he went down, but he didn’t mention how COWARDLY Thorton,Chara,Campell etc. were when our players were down and they kept throwing punches! That is what pisses me of the most about last night. I wonder if Grapes will say anything about that considering he ALWAYS praises guys who fight and don’t punch when a player is down, probably won’t because it was his Bruins and the VICTIMS were the HABS!

Not to mention Marchand’s late hit on the icing!

67. PrimeTime says:

I will admit that part of me enjoyed the game last night. It was entertaining and I’m happy our guys didn’t turtle and put their tail between their legs. Would I want a team that plays goon hockey? No. Would it be nice to have a couple of “larger” players that could face up to it when needed but for the most part that era is gone and not likely to come back. Boston was a pissed team. We beat them more often that Betty Crocker beats eggs. They, rightly or wrongly, feel we are a “cheap-shot” team. I still feel we are the better team but as Boone said, Habs did not play the style they need to play to win.
    I hope the best outcome of the night will be abetter Gomez. He owes his team much more than he gave last night. I have not praised or sh*t on him like many this year he owes his teammates an apology. And that must be followed up with much more determined play. If we can get that out of him for the remaining games and the playoffs then last nights Beantown Beating was worth it.

68. TommyB says:

It was stupid of Thomas.  The only reason I can think of for him doing it is to give the home crowd something.  It was obvious even to him when he got there that it was stupid.  But he did take one good swing at Price, and had he connected we could be looking at Auld for a few games in a row.   You say they are friends, I don’t know where you get that from, but I have no real evidence to contradict that statement.  However, TSN was showing a clip of Price trying to make conversation with Thomas during the ASG-draft, and Thomas clearly seemed to be tuning Price out.  Friends?

69. J_P says:

Dean Lombardi refused to sign Kovalchuk, who’s cap hit is only 6.6 Million (granted he’s signed for eternity), you think he would commit to taking on $7.3 million scott gomez for another three seasons? Wishful thinking lol

IMO, the best chance to unload Gomez would be after next season.  Even though his cap hit will remain at $7.3million for another 2 years, his actual salary drops to $5.5M and $4.5M for the last two years, making him attractive to a low budget team trying to make the cap floor.

70. 123456 says:

not only thomas but krejie got his but kicked and hte habs player stopped throwing – luchic is a pansy, does he ever hit someone while looking at them ir is it always from behind. well didn;t expect a seson sweep so what can you do.

gomez eller and ak46 need to step up or sit….. yes i call eller out bc he managed to be a -4 in under 8 minutes.

71. adamkennelly says:

we WERE dominated physically – its not a matter of opinion.  Gionta, Subban, Moen can certainly stand up for themselves but they should not have to, Moen needs some help.  Are Lucic, Thornton, McQuaid, Chara, Campbell “enforcers”…nope, Thornton is the closest thing to one and he has more goals than anyone on our bottom 2 lines.  Face facts – this team is small and soft and opponents know they can dominate us physically, a game like this has lingering affects.  Don’t forget we LOST them game.

72. LA Loyalist says:

Can you imagine if Price had been hurt, even inadvertantly? I don’t mean Thomas doing anything, he could have hurt himself on Thomas bean head, or twisted something – really easy to do when you are out of your element, goalie equipment is awkward as hell when you’re not actually goalie-ing.

—–

Watched the game clips again this morning, trying not to over react, but it was just as bad as last night.

Our guys showed some spunk, I’m proud of them, actually, but that game was pretty humiliating.

And I think the myth of Gomez providing ‘leadership’ in lieu of anything else is finally obliterated.

If PG addresses this by  the trade deadline (even symbolically, obviously it’s going to be difficult) I think it’s important.

73. Mattyleg says:

They do have some good bruisers, but I still don’t think we were dominated physically.

We never shyed away from going into danger areas, we took and gave hits easily.

We are not a small or soft team. This is one of those myths that are self-perpetuating. If enough people believe it, it stops mattering that it’s not true.

As far as size goes, we are well witihin the league average. And as for ‘softness’, we didn’t back down from any fights last night, and we didn’t run away from any checks either.

I think that people who think this team is ‘soft’ simply have ‘soft’ confidence.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

74. Mattyleg says:

The Flyers have a different approach coming from the GM. What I said still counts, regardless of what Laviolette’s doing now.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

75. Mr. Biter says:

i would also like to see Neil however i doubt that’s going to happen as teams rarely trade skill or goons to divisional rivals.