Battle in Beantown tonight; Price in net again

The Canadiens flew to Boston immediately after Tuesday’s 1-0 road loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins and will face the Bruins Wednesday night (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

“We got beat by the best player in the world,” goaltender Carey Price said of Sidney Crosby, who scored the game’s only goal on a bad line change by the Canadiens. “We had a breakdown and he took advantage of it.”

Michael Ryder credited Penguins goaltender Marc-André Fleury for making key saves in the first two periods when the Canadiens outshot the home team 24-12. It was the 13th straight win for the Penguins.

“We were throwing pucks at the net and we were hitting crossbars and posts and Fleury made some big saves,” Ryder said. “You play games that you don’t deserve to win and then you have games like the last two, where we’ve played well and lost. You have to take the positives out of them.”

The Canadiens did not hold a morning skate Wednesday in Boston, but Therrien met with the media at the team’s hotel.

“I told the guys yesterday, you can play with a bad ankle or bad shoulder, but you can’t play with a bad attitude,” Therrien told reporters. “Ours is good.”

Therrien added that Price would start in net against the Bruins and that the rest of the lineup would be a game-time decision.

(Photo by Alex Trautwig/Getty Images)

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Bruins

Canadiens vs. Bruins Preview

Penguins shut out Canadiens 1-0, by Pat Hickey

A game of millimetres, Price says, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens vs. Penguins photo gallery

Captain Gionta discusses turnaround season, by NHL.com

Gallagher shows how he prepares his sticks, 24CH

Penguins’ Fleury out after collision, by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It’s getting tough to think about anything but the streak in Pittsburgh, by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Will Claude Julien keep shuffling Bruins’ lines? by Boston Globe

1. buyme218 says:

input this URL:

( h t t p : // w w w . b u y 2 m e . u s / )

you can find many cheap and high stuff

WE ACCEPT CREDIT CARD PAYMENT

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

2. frontenac1 says:

I think Dumont can take Lucic.

3. SteverenO says:

In the hopes that somehow this info will make its way to the coaching room; let me display the numbers one more time:

Brendan Gallagher even strength versus powerplay:

even strength
    316 mins TOI – 23 goals for – 14 Minutes per team goal scored (best on the team among forwards)

powerplay

61 minutes TOI 3 goals for – 20 minutes per team goal scored (worst on the team among forwards)

how about looking at it this way?

Canadiens powerplay totals:
    219 minutes of 5 vs 4 minutes-total of 24 goals scored-average of one goal every 9.125 minutes.

Without Gallagher on the ice:
    158 minutes of 5 vs 4 – total 21 goals scored – average one goal every 7.5 minutes

With Gallagher on the ice:
    61.5 minutes- 5 vs 4- total of 3 goals scored – average of one goal every 20.5 minutes.

Do you still think that it makes sense to play Gallagher on the PP?

Are the numbers misleading? how so?

regards,

Steve O.

4. Cal says:

If Hartnell were available in a trade, (his Cap hit is $4.75mil. until 2019), would you be interested?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Last couple years could be ugly, kinda like Cole, but ya in a second! Bergevin got rid of Cole so I say go for it. 1st rounder and a prospect, done.

Exactly what MTL needs.

I would worry he doesn’t translate the same pugnacity in a different coloured uniform. He reminds me of Neil in Ottawa, I suspect Hartnell also has a Flyer logo tatooed on his ass. He is a perfect fit for the Flyers. I would love to see MB “overpay” for Clarkson just the same way he overpaid for Prust.

• Sportfan says:

His contract is scary to take up and if he doesn’t play the way he does in Philly hab fans could get tired of him fast but yeah I’d take him

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yes Cal. Just the kind of guy I believe we need.

As long as we can establish (as far as possible) that he’s not banged up and wouldn’t be likely to wilt under the Montreal media scrutiny.

5. commandant says:

I seem to remember the Bruins comments after Kaspar Daugavins shootout moves. Something about not accepting teammates who would do that in the shootout came from one David Kreijci. I think some other members of the organization like Marchand and others had something to say about it too.

Wonder how they treat him now, or does Boston Hypocrisy rear its ugly head again?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

6. pmaraw says:

I guess everyone was right about Prust being the team MVP…. it’s be an uphill battle since he’s been injured

7. Dr.Rex says:

Which scenerio is most likely to pay out in the next 24 hours.

a) Julien goes mental again and babbles on about embellishment of other teams after Marchand performs a triple axle to perfection in tonight’s game.
    b) Desharnais makes his first impression on a hockey game since his new contract.
    c) Ryder hits two more posts
    d) Chara attacks an unsuspecting player then starts pounding on his chest and then gets dehydrated.
    e) Bruins fans realize collectively that most of their players are Canadian and that chanting “USA” repeatedly is redundant and makes them FOX News anchor worthy.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

If so, Marchand is only asking for disappointment. Everyone knows quads are standard now.

Hope for b, lose my mind if c, expecting d, same probability as Garry Galley realizing it’s wheelhouse, not pinwheel

• New says:

ProbablyChara is absolutely dominating until Galchenyuk, accidently teamed with someone other than Armstrong, turns him inside out. Lucic and Marchand then hold the Bruins net from moving as Chara accidently slams MaxPac’s head into the goal posts. Marchand gets two for dislodging the net even though the ref twice told him he was pushing too hard.

When players get in slumps, i recall some coaches telling them to aim for the posts. It is so difficult for players to do so, it often helped end a players slump. Of course with the luck our team has had in recent games, our guys would miss the post to the amateur side, not the pro side.

• Loonie says:

In my opinion the easiest way to break a scoring slump is to do the exact opposite of shooting from everywhere. It’s counter productive when guys just start shooting because they can.

Just go to open areas in the offensive zone and drive the net like a mac truck when somebody else is in shooting position.

But I wasn’t a scorer

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Someone posted a story last week about a coach telling his slumping scorer to go out and make ten hits. Slump ended.

I think the coach was Scotty. Can’t remember the player. Good story, hope it’s true.

9. nellis13 says:

We’re not scoring on the PP because we only have 2 DMen that should be playing the PP. We look great with Subban and Markov but the second wave is garbage.
    The Bruins will play an extra physical game tonight considering we played yesterday. Not so concerned about the win. Just hoping for no injuries.

How’s that for “positive.”

10. Luke says:

Our guys should shoot at the goalie and hope they miss.

11. Frank2468 says:

I know we need Diaz back but the boys really miss Prust out there, and If he was ever needed more it will be tonight. I don’t mean to bash Moen but the last time I noticed him was this morning when I turned on my kitchen faucet. Buy it for looks buy it for life.

12. otisfxu says:

My microsope is on Pacioretty tonight. It is time for him to step up to the plate, win a game for us. This would be a nice win for Habs – really get the Bruins pissed off.
    Time for first line to perform. – OFFENSIVELY!!

• Frank2468 says:

Well the last time Patchs did really well was when Prust was in the lineup. Coincidence I say not.

• otisfxu says:

Sorry, but if he is useless without Prust, then he is just useless.
        And if people think that when Prust comes back he is going to be tossing guys into the first row, you are mistaken. He’s gt the bad wing, and will probably have it for rest of year.

• Frank2468 says:

Well I don’t think Cooke would have tried the crap he did last night on Gionta with Prust in the line up. Gointa would just have moved out of the way and said Cooke meet Prust.

• Luke says:

Prust wouldn’t have been on the ice.

• otisfxu says:

Don’t have exact stats, but I think Pacs is just as big, maybe bigger than Prust – time for pacs to be the power forward he is suppose to be. And I don’t mean he has to start fighting

• Frank2468 says:

Luke he wouldn’t have been on the ice but M.T would have sent him out there on the next shift for sure when Cooke was there. He’s reformed my ass he is still a cheap player, did anyone else notice
            Bylsma on the bench talk to Cooke after getting off the ice? I’m sure he was telling Cooke don’t be a tool and take a stupid penalty, and you look really stupid and really tough going after a guy that’s 5 foot 6 or 7.

13. Mattyleg says:

Okay, while everyone’s feeling scrappy, here’s a joke:

Fella, at his wit’s end, goes to a witch doctor to help him perform more effectively in the bedroom. Witch Doc gives him a bottle and says, take a teaspoon of this liquid and say “1-2-3″, and you will be as upstanding as you were when you were a teenager, and you’ll be able to carry on for as long as your heart (or that of your missus) desires!

Fella says, “great, but how do I make it go away?”

Witch Doc says, “All you need to do is say ‘1-2-3-4′” and it’s back to normal. BUT!! Because it’ll take so much out of you, nothing will work again for you until the next full moon.”

Fella goes home happy, and that night, he takes a spoonful of the liquid, says 1-2-3, and -Hey Presto!- he’s ready for action. His wife is extremely impressed, and as she’s throwing her clothes off, says,
    “That’s amazing!! But what was the 1-2-3 for?”

… and that, my friends, is why you should never end sentences with a preposition: it’ll leave you with a dangling participle.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I LOVE it!

Make sure Twilight and all the other Grammar Marshalls see it!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Here’s an Irish one by way of return:

Guy playing golf, loses the ball in the scrub. When he eventually finds it, there’s an unconscious leprechaun lying beside it. The ball had struck him on the head and knocked him out cold.

The guy feels terrible, revives the leprechaun, takes care of him, feeds him. The leprechaun is very grateful. “You’ve been so good to me. Please allow me to grant you a few wishes.”

“No, no. Not at all,” answers the guy. “It’s the least I could do in the circumstances.”

They part company. But the leprechaun decides to send a few nice goodies the guy’s way anyhow. A few months later he visits the guy to make sure he’s been receiving them.

“So how’ve you been feeling?”

“Great!” says the guy. “In fact, now that you mention it, I do believe I feel healthier than I have in years.”

“How about money?” asks the leprechaun.

“Well you know what?” answers the guy. “For the last while, any time I take money out of my account, the total just stays the same. Can’t explain it. Neither can the bank.”

“Good, good,” said the leprechaun, delighted. “And what about women?”

The guy blushes a bit before answering. “Well, yes, oh my goodness, yes. I’ve been having sex nearly once a month!”

“Once a month?!” exclaims the leprechaun. “Is that it?”

The guy answers, “Yes, but I’m a priest.”

14. Loonie says:

Price is awful and sarcasm is low brow wit.

And here I thought I made this place worse.

15. aroma says:

Price: “We got beat by the best player in the world.”

Nonsense – giving up only one goal to the Penguins (indicative of how strong the Habs’ defence and goaltending was) is not a reason for losing; it’s usually a reason for winning. Missing golden scoring opportunities was the reason for losing the past two games. Plekanec, Desharnais and Pacioretty look as if they are either dog tired or playing hurt. The offence is ailing, and let’s hope that it’s very temporary.

• B says:

I agree that holding Pittsburgh to one goal is a good job, they are the highest g/g team right now and they have not been shut out yet this season. As for singling out 2 guys for not scoring in a game they got shut out…

–Go Habs Go!–

• aroma says:

I singled out three – but only because we normally expect offence from them. And because they seem to be struggling…

• B says:

Sorry, I can’t count today, but I did notice your 3 struggling single outs combined for 14 shots last night (although they did fail to score – like the rest of the team last night).

–Go Habs Go!–

16. Maksimir says:

I made a joke about Chiarrelli buying a high priced transsexual prostitute and now its gone? Wha happened?

• Mattyleg says:

Hey, come on, am I the only one who, when we’re on the powerplay, and Pleks or DD gets the puck at the top of the near circle, and does a a little loop… am I the only one that wishes whoever it is would instantly transform into Kovalev and ping a wrister into the top corner??

…I’m sure I’m not….

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Good to see the Prix Trollers out again. Still can’t believe he didn’t score a couple last night, piece of crap western kid. Man do we need an upgrade in net, there has to be a Francophone goalie out there for us…….

• HabFanSince72 says:

a) this is a website for hockey debate and nothing is off limits – we should be allowed to debate anything without accusations of trolling.

b) “Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit”

Ahhh, well I am at my wits end with trolling. I trust I am allowed to do so?

• Mattyleg says:

Yeeks.
        Feeling a bit touchy, HFS72??

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I think he is from Hamilton actually, very fond of one way streets.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Matty and Burl –

The suggestion is that I hate Price (1) because he’s from Western Canada (2), which implies that I’m a bigot (3).

(1) I don’t. I think he’s great.

(2) I don’t think that way about anyone.

(3) Yes, I find the insinuation a bit irksome.

• Loonie says:

Perhaps clarifying what your expectations of him are at this stage in his career would go a long way toward lowering the amount of arguments you have about him.

• Mattyleg says:

Oh.
            I don’t think that HiB was directly targeting you and making assumptions about you.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

HiB may very well have been doing that. I won’t ever consider calling HF72 a bigot however. I just happen to think that he would prefer a different goalie and that if his name had a differnt ring to it, he would be much happier.

• Loonie says:

Aside from a good percentage of his last 50 or so posts I don’t know where you’d get an idea like that Gerald.

• Mattyleg says:

Hahaha!
            I’m obviously out of the loop…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Loonie says:

Ha.

I sincerely hope that post becomes your signature. I’d hate for people to have to go digging for it later to throw it back in your face.

Specifically the next time somebody calls Desharnais overvalued or references preferential treatment to francophone players and you subsequently get cranky.

• Luke says:

b) Bzzzzzt. Wrong. Puns.
        Plus Sarcasm is awesome. (That’s not sarcastic, though it could be).
        a) Probably true, but there has to be an absurdity limit.

• shiram says:

Did you know Price is tied for LAST in the league for goals scored by a goalie? No wonder our offence ( fifthin the league) is struggling so much!

• Chuck says:

How come no one blames the bad line change with Cindy Freakin’ Crosby on the ice? The Kid made a world class shot. Price stopped everything else, and we didn’t score. End of story.

___________________________________________________

• Luke says:

Shouldn’t you be at the Poacher by now?

18. HabsWinn-ipeg says:

Top forwards (pointswise) on teams who would be considered as “favorites” to win the cup (IMO);

Anaheim: Getzlaf/Perry/Ryan/Koivu/Selanne
    Chicago: Kane/Toews/Hossa/Sharp
    LA: Kopitar/Williams/Carter/Richards/Brown
    Boston: Bergeron/Marchand(just threw up in my mouth)/Krejci/Seguin/Lucic/Horton
    Pittsburg: Crosby/Kunitz/Neal/Malkin

Now the Habs: Ryder/Pacioretty/Plekanec/Desharnais/Bourque/Gallager/Gionta/Eller

My point? Our top forwards are not on the same level as top forwards on contending teams. Our “first line” players wouldn’t crack the first line of the teams listed above (maybe with Boston, but I can’t really think about any Habs player in a Boston uni.) The Habs win with a bunch of good players and a great system. Not saying our guys don’t develop into those top level guys – but we aren’t there yet. Could we win the cup – I believe we could, but realistically it would be a surprise.

I’m hoping MB can land a goal scoring forward – that’s the biggest need for a deep run IMO. The team defense is strong enough for now (see last night – 25 shots allowed against the best offence in the league). One guy who would be dangerous anytime he gets the puck near the net would tip the balance in our favour.

• christophor says:

Or you could look at it this way: the Habs score more goals than all but 4 teams in the league and yet they don’t have star forwards.

That’s called depth. If one or two Habs forwards are having a bad game, there’s plenty of backup. There isn’t the same depth to back up the above stars.

• HabsWinn-ipeg says:

Not arguing that we don’t have depth. My point is that the teams that would be considered favorites have depth of better players than we do. I’m not criticizing the Habs – I think MB/MT have done a masterful job…far more than anyone expected. What we as fans have to realize is that MT is getting everything possible out of a team that talent wise is a step below the upper echelon teams. To be more blunt, at this point the Habs are not as good talent wise as the teams considered favorites for the cup. We can talk about depth (which is great to have) all we want – what the Habs don’t have is a game changer. I’ve actually seen glimses of that in Eller recently, but he lacks the finish at this point.

My initial point was, that if the Habs win the cup this year it will be a surprise. Given how most of us thought about them at the beginning of the year, even talking about a cup run is pretty incredible. Unless they completely crap out for the rest of the year you have to consider this year a resounding success. Will I be disappointed if they don’t make it through the first round – Yes. But I will also be abe to look at what they’ve done and realize how amazing it’s been.

As for the point below, what the Habs are willing to part with is the question. If they could get a bona-fide scoring threat (i.e. a threat to score any time he’s on the ice) that will be with the team for a few years I would say give up a lot to get him. I don’t think that player is available this year – there is no Rick Nash out there. If we’re talking a lower tier scorer (Gaborik, Jagr, etc) that’s more of a short term/rental then you have to minimize the long term loss of picks/prospects.

MB seems to have a long term view of building the team. If he can do something to improve the chances of a playoff run this year I think he will, but he won’t lose sight of his long term plan to do it. You can just as easily screw up your team with short sighted thinking. I agree with Ghosts below re: winning the cup this year – it would be great but I’m happy with the way the team has progressed and the direction they are going. Wait till next year actually means something this year.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Saying that we need a player who can score is easy enough — it’s a question of who and for how much.

With the young talented core we’ve got right now, I’d be hesitant to trade anything too valuable away unless it’s what the folks call a ‘hockey’ deal. For example, if the rumours about Loui Eriksson potentially being available are true, I could see a good deal for our club being made.

But outside of stuff like that (ie the Iggy sweepstakes), I really don’t want MB to trade away some of the great talent we’ve cultivated for an immediate.

In fact, I’ll come right out and say it — I’m fine with the Habs not winning the Cup this year. Obviously I’d love them to. But I think this team has made monumental leaps forward and is well-positioned to be a consistently competitive team in the very near future (if not now). I say let the core carry this team, see how the cope with the playoffs and tweak as necessary. A good, deep playoff run would be a great success and building block for this team.

19. shiram says:

If the Bruins lose tonight, expect some more whining coming from Julien.
    Wether it’s diving or just talking about how the Habs have had the most PP chances and the Bruins the least… The guy just won’t take any blame his way.

Oh yeah!
      Start planning what you want to be drinking while you sit back and listen to that.
      Can’t go wrong with Jameson.

Except it’s not such a great match with donuts…

20. SteverenO says:

For a team struggling to score goals you would think that we would want to take advantage of all our available resources.

There is two defencemen on the ice at all times. some defencemen are better defensively and some are stronger offensively. Here is a breakdown of our defence corps by offensive production. From worse to best:

Player/ games played/ TOI EvenStrength/ Team GF / AVG (minutes per GF)

Patteryn: 3 GP/ 29 mins/ 1 GF / 29 MPG
    Tinordi : 5 GP / 56 mins/ 2 GF / 28 MPG
    Emelin; 32 GP/ 571 min / 21 GF / 27 MPG
    Markov: 32 GP /558 min / 21 GF/ 27 MPG
    Diaz: 19 GP/ 283 min / 12 GF / 24 MPG
    Gorges: 32 GP/ 562 min / 24 GF / 23 MPG
    Subban: 26 GP/ 435 min / 21 GF / 21 MPG
    Bouillion: 32 GP /483 min / 24 GF / 20 MPG
    ?????????? 10 GP/ 110 min/ 8 GF / 14 MPG

For a team that is now struggling to score goals , would it not make sense to utilize ?????????????????. When he played together with Bouillion the team scored goals at even strength a very prolific rate.

Keeping this asset in the press box so that Tinordican play 7 minutes is ridiculous.

If the goal is to develop Tinordi, you have to let him play at least 12 to 15 minutes per game,and not bench him in the third period.

If the goal is to win as many games as possible ,right now, our best lineup INCLUDES Kaberle.

The argument about keeping him off the ice to prevent injury is a silly one. Anyone can get hurt anytime. If we can,t “Buy Out ” Kaberle because he got injured we will deal with it then. It wouldn’t be terrible if we used our buy out to buy out Moen:s contract .

IN 10 games this year Kaberle played pretty well in most of them. Surely he could be useful to have around when trailing in the third period.

Looking at the numbers above you have to realize that Gorges offensive numbers are significantly higher because he plays with Subban. By the same reasoning Subban’s numbers are lower because he is playing with Gorges.

You have to think that Markov’s offensive production would go up if he played less minutes. Having Kaberle in the lineup makes us a better team and gives us a better chance to win. There is no question about it.

regards,

Steve O.

• Luke says:

So the numbers prove that Kaberle is the best offensive defensman we have?

I’m a Kabby booster, have been all season, so please understand that when I say this:
      Please drop the numbers and slowly back away…

• SteverenO says:

What the numbers indicate is that when Kaberle was in the lineup he contributed to the offensive goal production of the team and at the same time he was not a defensive liability.

And yes Luke it is a FACT that this season the Canadiens have scored more frequently when Kaberle has been on the ice them with any other defenceman. Does it mean that he is our “best ” offensive defenseman? No, not neccesarily. I would sure feel better if he was on the ice in the third period when we were trailing by a goal as compared to having Gorges and Emelin playing about 7 minutes each when we need to score

I believe that Most of the time he played he was paired with Bouillion. The numbers ido ndicate that that pairing has been the most effective (offensive) pairing of defenseman this season, albeit in limited playing time

Yes, Tinordi is averaging 11 TOI per game, but the last two games he was virtually benched in the third period when we needed to score. Last night he played 7 minutes and change.

Personally I don;lt mind bringing uop a young player to have him learn “on the job” But you are not doing him , or the team, any favors, by having him sit on the end of the bench during the crucial parts of the game.

regards,

Steve O.

• Luke says:

Your numbers are misleading.

• SteverenO says:

First-

They are not “my” numbers. They come form the official NHL.com website.

second-
            I object to the fact that you are claiming that they are misleading with out any explanation as to why you believe that to be the case.

I have not manipulated the numbers in any way to favor one individual over any other. Its not as if I only presented numbers that favor my side of an argument (e.g., Kaberle should be playing, Gallagher should not be on the PP, etc.) and withheld other numbers to be deceptive. I have been fully transparent.

At a certain point you cannot ignore the fact that the one, and ONLY one player on the entire team that is significantly more productive at even strength than with the man advantage continues to get major time on the powerplay unit.

This is a perfect example of how statistics can be very useful., The problem is our coaching staff are either unaware of the numbers OR they believe, as you do, that it all just one big coincidence.

Let me display again the numbers:
            of Brendan Gallagher even strength versus powerplay:

even strength

powerplay

how about looking at it this way?

Canadiens powerplay totals:

Without Gallagher on the ice:

With Gallagher on the ice:

Do you still think that it makes sense to play Gallagher on the PP?

Are the numbers misleading? how so?

regards,

Steve O.

• govenah says:

Please send this info out to all other GM’s in the league before next Wednesday.

thanks.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Tinordi is averaging 11:07 TOI and it’s going up most games. And the Habs are 4th in the conference in goals for.

Two games where they were snakebite while facing excellent goaltending…not sure it’s time to panic yet.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Didn’t realize Frankie is such an offensive dynamo

• Luke says:

Or he’s so bad that the other players keep the puck away from him and therefore keep it on the stick of better offensive players for a higher period of time on his shifts so by doing so they increase the offensive potential of each of his shifts by playing keep away from him…
        ARRRGGHGHHHHHH
        numbers are dumb.

• SteverenO says:

Numbers are dumb? Why do they keep stats ?

Are you saying that its just a “coincidence” that the team scores more often with certain players on the ice than others?

If you don;t believe that judging a players performance by how often his team scores and how often the opponents score while he is on the ice, how do you suggest that a players performance be judged?

It’s easy to scoff at numbers and say that they are “irrelevant” but what is the alternative?

regards,

Steve O.

• Luke says:

You are putting too much faith in your numbers and saying they represent the entire situation. It’s not a black/white scenario which is what you have your numbers portraying.

Who do you want on the ice Boullion or Subban? Because Boullion means better offense, according to your numbers. So therefore he should be the one playing 28minutes a game. And Kaberle should be second. According to your numbers above…

I’m sorry but it’s absurd.

“Its just happenstance that the Canadiens score approximately one goal every 40 minutes when Moen and/ or Armstrong are on the ice and once every 20 minutes when Plekanec and /or Desharnais are out there?”

No it isn’t happenstance. But it’s not numbers either. It’s that Plek/DD are BETTER. You don’t need 1g/40mins to know that or prove that… commonsense is enough.
            Just like how it is enough to say that Subban offers more offensive potential than Boullion does… and that is what you are arguing right now.
            You may be using different names, but your numbers mumbo-jumbo is saying that Boullion and Kaberle should be the #1 offensive pairing instead of Subban and Markov.

I don’t hate numbers, I hate the way people use them. They rarely tell the whole story.

My little Keep away scenario is one way that numbers could be misleading. Semenko’s Goals/TOI was probably staggeringly high. But I’d rather have Ryder on the ice if I was trying to tie a game.

• Mattyleg says:

As we all know, averages are not the best way of expressing likelihood.
      You would need to look at either median or mode.

You might find this book interesting.

No insult intended, it’s just that numbers on their own will tell us whatever we want to believe.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

21. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Anyone else running out of things to talk about?

Drop the puck already!!!

22. jols101 says:

Anyone hear if Therrien is making any line adjustments?

Anyone venture a guess?

23. Harditya says:

How Jussi Jokinen managed to clear waivers is beyond my knowledge. A consistent 50 point player that has been struggling this year.

• mrhabby says:

salary cap going down next year.

• showey47 says:

I was surprised also. I’m guessing its the extra year on his contract and with the cap going down to 64 million as the reason. You would think with only 1 year left after this one that some team that struggles to reach the cap floor every year would take a chance on him.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Apparently another year at 3 mill was a concern. Surprises me too. That’s reasonable for that production.

• HabsTrueBlue says:

He has scored 50 points 3 times in 8 years (including this year based on projection). Not sure how that makes him a consistent 50 point player.

24. scavanau says:

I’m hoping Peter Chiarelli blows all his cash

25. petefleet says:

Maybe it’s my avatar but my posts are not being posted.
    I’ll try again.
    I am not really worried about the Habs after last nite’s performance. I expected and predicted a hard fought game that could go either way. Last nite it went the other way. In a 7 seven game series I believe the Habs would end up on the good side of the wins column because of their depth in goal and on defense and their system. Tonight against Boston I think you will see a win. The guys in that room are not hanging their heads. That was a gritty performance that could have gone either way. Hopefully tonight they show up with some shots that find a whole not the post. The Habs are going to be hard to beat in the playoffs and Boston and Pittsburgh will be glad to see lower seeds in the opening rounds….but so will the Habs.

******************************************
    “Backup goalie getting the shut out is like your mistress babysitting your kids. Did a great job but still feels wrong.”

Mutt

***Habs Forever***

26. Bash says:

The obvious??

A player hits posts because he is trying to hit an opening. Like the tennis player who hits the lines (or doesn’t). You can’t win against a good goalie without the pinpoint shot or a great screen.

Pacioretty shoots a lot of pucks right at the goalie.

Ryder hits a lot of posts or just misses.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

27. Loonie says:

I just figured out all of the Habs’ problems.

Their best players just aren’t good enough. What we really need is Patrick Roy, Guy Lafleur and Larry Robinson to come out of retirement and lace’em up again.

I mean, if all it takes is talent and the attitude that nobody is better than you I’m sure these guys could come right back and pick up where they left off.

Or. And stay with me because this is crazy. We could patiently wait and enjoy it while our young stars(Price, Subban and Galchenyuk) develop. When they hit their prime years they’ll all be among the best in the World at their positions. I’m sure at that point they’ll have enough humility that they’ll acknowledge when players of similar talent and ability get the best of them.

I just hope they won’t be as arrogant as some of our stars of yesterday.

• Gerry H says:

Heh. See what a few days in “fourth” place will do to one’s morale?

Good post.
      But you’re still leaving the door ajar for a late acquisition, right?

Who 1975 and prior was arrogant? And are you giving some allowance for the kind of big personality/hyper-self-assurance that so often accompanies God-given elite talent?

• Loonie says:

I don’t think they need to believe they’re the best in the World individually to be good enough for a championship. They need to believe they are collectively.

That’s all.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

There’s probably a whole thread (or PhD thesis) that could be devoted to the different impact today’s grotesque celebrity culture has on the minds of young sports stars compared with those of an earlier age.

I chose 1975 more or less at random, but I suspect we wouldn’t find the level of arrogance you refer to among Habs of that era, even though they were indeed the best in the world.

And the door’s ajar, right?

• Timo says:

Other than Subban, I would be very hesitant to call anyone on that team a “star” player. Most of them are OK players who will always be OK players, ensuring that Habs always stay int he middle of the pack with occasional 2 round of playoffs or a suckitude a-la 2011-2012.

• Cal says:

If Subban could fight he might come close to Robinson. Price is our Roy (sans Coupe). The problem is no replacement for Lafleur. Richer was it, but the media ran him out of town. Since then, no one’s come close. Hopefully, Chucky will be our new Flower in a few years. (Lafleur exploded only in his 4th season)

28. HabFanSince72 says:

Can anyone imagine Patrick Roy saying “I was beaten but it was by the best player in the world”?

Neither can I.

29. JF says:

It sees to be a rule the last few years that if the Habs play a great first period, completely dominate their opponent but fail to score, they lose the game. That’s what happened against both Buffalo and Pittsburgh. This season we’ve mostly played good first periods, and until recently, we’ve mostly scored. We have to get back to that tonight. No posts, crossbars, missed open nets and so on. Just score.

30. Trisomy 21 says:

So what do you think DD’s market value is today? Late first round? 2nd round?

31. Hobie Hansen says:

Nice top 10 Boston/Montreal – Love the wins in the playoffs and all the positive moments but man it’s embarrassing as a Habs fan that they beat on us, injure and slap us around like a bunch of school girls and we have no response.

Keep working Mr. Bergevin. Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon was a start, calling up Tinordi was another good move but I’m hoping it continues again this summer, I’m sure it will.

• Thurston says:

I’m still rather baffled as to how a guy who had the testicular fortitude to once play a game with two injured shoulders (Gainey) could put together a team of lightweights.
      At least Marc Bergevin appears to acknowledge the deficiency in rougher-type players and is attempting to rectify it.

• Sportfan says:

It will continue for sure this summer, wouldn’t be surprised if he’s trying to make a few moves now.

No way, Hobie!

None of the 10 includes Orr.
      Only one with Lafleur, one with Espo.
      None with Pocket Rocket, and nothing pre-expansion.

Ok sticking my chin out: you’re just allowing yourself to be manipulated by League+Media trying to psyche you up for some kind of pseudo-warrior contest instead of a hockey game.

You’re Bettman’s Bitch!

32. Luke says:

I think i’ll wear my Lafleur jersey while watching the game tonight just to see the mayhem here tomorrow…

This place would be nuts after a 7-0 Bruins romp.
    Yes, my Lafleur jersey has that kind of jinx power.

33. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Would like Dumont back with Eller and Gally. Hope Armstrong does not get 15 minutes again while Dumont only gets 8…

34. shiram says:

Another boring, def first game tonight against the irrationally feared Bruins?
    Those rivalries, more often than not, do not live up to the hype associated to them.

35. EastCoastHab says:

Will Ryder get an offer to stay with the team next year?

36. habstrinifan says:

I know people here have said “no way” but if Raffi Torres is on market and we have chance to get him for lowish price I would bite.

37. Dunboyne Mike says:

I know why it’s posted today, but I hate the Top 10 Habs-Bruins video.

Top 10 according to whom?

I’ll tell you, according to people trying to sell tickets to the lowest common denominator. And that’s the Bettman business-plan. If you love hockey, don’t buy into the Bettman plan.

Does my blood get stirred watching those clips? Oh yes. Do I try to govern that rather than let it govern me?

Yes, I do try.

I don’t want to play rockem-sockem with Lucic and Chara. I just want to win. Just beat them. 4-point game. Put on the kettle, listen to Claude after, maybe Marchand, too.

38. Thurston says:

I wonder if, and how many, embellishment penalties the Habs will get tonight? Ever since Julien cried about embellishment after last time, will the referees be “on the lookout” for such alleged infractions?

39. Bripro says:

Ryder pots one of his two crossbars, and we’re not even having this discussion.

40. HabFanSince72 says:

(Repost – now I think Pittsburgh should move ahead of Chicago)

How to choose who to cheer against in the playoffs a handy guide.

1. Teams based in Boston MA (Boston).
    2. Teams that were built through tanking (Pittsburgh, Chicago).
    3. Teams whose success would please the league (NY Rangers, LA).
    4. Teams that wouldn’t have a Stanley Cup Parade if they won because their towns don’t even have a main street and even if they did no one would go (Anaheim, New Jersey).
    5. Teams whose fans are so deluded that if someone wrote an oral history of their team’s support it would be called “Not Just a River in Egypt” or “I’m Ready for my Close-Up Now, Mr Burke” (Toronto).
    6. The remaining US teams (The remaining US teams).
    7. Teams that aren’t the Montreal Canadiens or Winnipeg Jets (Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa).
    8. The Winnipeg Jets (Winnipeg).

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

hahahaaha! Well done, sir!

• Big Buffy Boat Club says:

This makes a lot of sense to me. I have Jets season tickets and my ultimate nightmare fantasy best worst thing ever to happen will be the Habs playing them in the first round.

———————————————————————————-
      “Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of the women.”

• Loonie says:

Can I suggest moving the Leafs to #2?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I would move Ottawa higher up…their fans only show up when they’re winning. Toronto and Philly too…

• jedimyrmidon says:

Leaf fans? Ha.

They mouth off as if they’ve won the Cup in the past five years. If anything goes right for them, it gets massively overhyped and they chirp EVEN MORE.

They’ll chirp Hab fans as if they’ve made the playoffs since the [before last] CBA, and they’ll act like the Leafs have been better team for the past decade (or four) even though the Leafs have done absolutely nothing.

That’s a beaut, 72.

Can I separate Calgary from (7. Other Canadian teams) and move them up several notches, please?

Because of 1989. At the Forum.

41. habstrinifan says:

Funny eh? We beat Boston today in regulation and suddenly everything looks different and Rangers look eminently beatable.
    We lose, even in shootout and it’s a 3 game losing streak and suddenly Rangers look formidable.

And it’s not all mere fans’ volatility… it’s a true barometer of our current state.

42. Loonie says:

Carey Price, much to the dismay of his haters gets the start tonight.

43. Psycho29 says:

The big question for tonight is how early in the game does Claude Julien get really pissed off and start to look like a bowl of jello in an earthquake????

44. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Pierre LeBrun on twitter:

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Spoke with one GM this morning who likes Jokinen and would have taken him if he was a pending UFA. Next year’s $3 M on his deal scared teams

• Loonie says:

That’s pretty funny considering about a third of the teams in the league are going to have work to do to get to the cap floor.

• Strummer says:

The operative word is “one” GM. There are 29 others

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• christophor says:

The Habs have more than enough space next year. There aren’t that many teams in as good a spot.

Maybe this says something about Bergevin’s offseason plans. Who knows?

45. Marcusman says:

Why aren’t wee trying to land Jerome? Isn’t he exactly what we’re looking for?

• mark-ID says:

well we can start with the fact that we aren’t even on the list of teams that he has accepted to be traded to. It is apparently only Boston, Chicago, LA or Pittsburgh.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

How flexible is a player’s list of preferred teams, anyway? Is it like your will — you need your agent and some lawyers to change it? Or is it more like, “What the hell — it’s near Vegas: Coyotes here I come”?

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I think they can approach him at anytime, so if Phoenix offered something that was too good to be true, the Flames could ask Jarome’s agent if he’d go there. It’s not written in stone.

But I think the list is handed over with the expectation that the GM will only negotiate with those teams. The question is: are accurate are the leaked reports that those are the only four teams he’ll consider?

Sounds good.
            And I like your last point: it’s a business, right? There’s no way anything is the exactly the way it looks. Any GM (who knows? maybe including ours) that’s interested in Iggy will have been on the phone.

• Bash says:

Wee need to get bigger.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I love Jarome, but I really don’t think it’s smart to pick him up now. Asking price is high and he’s a rental. We have an extremely talented young core group of guys that are going to make us competitive for years to come. Swapping some of them for one playoff run would be wrongheaded, IMO

We need a guy like him, but who has 5 or 6 seasons left and will sign with us for several of them.

• Trisomy 21 says:

It was said once that Iginla is looking to get traded to a team to sign there over the summer. Otherwise I don’t think he would submit a list of teams he wants to play for. So I wonder if he really is a rental

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Perhaps not, but really, only going to get two/three seasons out of him — not sure he’s worth it at this point…especially to a young club like the Habs. Like I said, nothing but respect for the guy. Just not sure it’s a good decision for us (pretending it’s a possibility, which I don’t think it is)

• Timo says:

Becuase he told the Flames that HAbs aren’t one of the teams he would like to be dealt to. MB can try but that’s be kinda waste of time.

46. Hstands4Hockey says:

With Letang going on the IR today, does Subban become a Norris favourite?

Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

• habstrinifan says:

Really don’t care today. These games are too important to think about stuff like that.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Not only that, but he’s still some way before fulfilling his amazing potential, at which point he could own that cup.

And I’m sure your point is the way he thinks about it himself.

• habstrinifan says:

No. I am just not into ‘trophies’ right now. And I am sure Subban and everyone on the team is the same at this juncture. This is a scary week for the the team. What happens could mean a lot to team confidence; team chemistry; how MT’s message resonates onwards; MB’s moves long term and short term.

I am a huge P.K fan so if he wins fine by me. But it is irrelevant issue now!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Don’t be surprised if he is not even nominated…Letang, Chara, Webber, Suter, Kromwall…lots of competition.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

The League can’t be seen to endorse a chronic embellisher with a flawed personality given to uncharacteristic moodiness.

47. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

And did everyone freak out and call for some tough guys after this 3rd loss in a row?

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

48. frontenac1 says:

Great. Bourque,one of our best forwards is done? Punched out of the season by Leafs enforcer? Good thing Orr didn”t connect with Plex”s knee too.

49. ont fan says:

Mat Sundin..a lot of stars don’t want to go to Hockey hotbeds like TO. Free agents don’t want that kind of pressure.

50. wd40 says:

Getting a little tired hearing about Bruins fans/media about the schedule being a factor? How’s that?

* Habs have played 1 game more than the Bruins thus far.
    * Habs have had 7 back-to-back games vs 4 for the Bruins (3 each in March).
    * Bruins played 10 games in Feb vs 14 for the Habs.
    * Bruins have played 2 more games thus far in March.

Come on.

• Luke says:

Everyone plays 48. That’s all that matters…

Arena availibilty and a compressed schedule have magnified the perceived imbalance in it.

That and whiny people on the internet always looking for something to gripe about.

It’s mostly that last thing though…

51. Loonie says:

Bruins claimed Daugavins.

52. mark-ID says:

Daugavins claimed by Boston. Interesting.

53. Loonie says:

Jokinen cleared waivers.

Wow.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

And people still believe Kaberle’s contract can be moved…

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Ahhh…it’s a salary issue? Was wondering why that happened, he’s a pretty decent player. What’s he make?

• Loonie says:

Jokinen’s basically a twenty goal scorer with great creativity.

One more year at $3 million. I think there might be something other than the salary at play here.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Wow, yeah, that’s not much of an albatross of a contract. Surprised no one took —- especially the Bruins who are supposedly looking for exactly that type of depth scoring. Strange, indeed.

• bwoar says:

The cap going down next year doesn’t make that 3 million very attractive.

“thoroughbred”

• Loonie says:

True but if you’re Florida and you’ve been pummeled by injuries to pending free agents and others alike, why not take a shot on that guy?

If he produces offense and that’s not a stretch he helps your lineup and gives you a player that may have value on the trade market. We’re only a week away but goodness, one more injury and that guy could become a valuable asset.

I really think that there’s something else going on. Maybe he wants to retire or something bad happened behind the scenes. This is really odd.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Florida’s tanking. It’s Dale Talon’s specialty.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Yes, to an ice floe perhaps!

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Kooch7800 says:

I think with the cap dropping people are really evaluating their situations

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• christophor says:

I find this crazy. There really must be something else going on.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree with the WOW! Can’t be the contract!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Jokinen’s point totals

2010 65
      2011 52
      2012 46
      2013 25 (pro-rated)

• Loonie says:

Question for ya. Desharnais had a sixty point season last year right? He’s around a .5 point per game pace this season. If he finishes this season at that mark and then next year experiences another drop in production would you want Marc Bergevin putting him on waivers?

Habs win 2-1.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Habs pick up Jussi Jokinen off waivers and win in a shootout!

I don’t know…but without Prust and White, it will get ugly tonight. Hopefully calls are made and the PP comes through…

55. Ghosts of the Forum says:

The Bs haven’t looked particularly great in their last few outings. But back-to-backs are tough.

To be honest, I expect a not so great game (with the exception that it’s Habs-Bruins, meaning even a not so great game feels like an amazing one).

I think it’s absolutely key that we get the first one tonight. Has been a hallmark of this team this year. Got to get back on that train.

Lost in all the lamenting of no goalscoring how well the D has shutdown in the last two games.

• New says:

Prust is missed. The team has been playing well in the D. Part of that is because they spend a lot of time skating the puck around the oppositions half so the D isn’t always pressured and frazzled. Prust though would cause havoc amongst the opposition D and they’d start chasing the guys rather than keeping to the plan. Once you pull a player towards you it leaves someone open. That’s why Eller has looked so ineffective when he skates those large circles before someone comes to the point and takes it off him. The opposition aren’t biting and no one is in there causing the goalie and other D to start yelling, draw attention, and open the lane for the shot. Effectively everyone is covered so the opportunities aren’t made.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Yep, think the net presence of Prusty and Bourque is dearly missed. Especially as games become increasingly like playoff games. Not sure what the solution is though…especially without knowing how long those guys are going to be out. Let’s just hope that Moen on the top line isn’t it….

56. DAVE. N says:

I thought last night ,we saw the Habs team that enters the playoffs looking to match an Ottawa, Jersey, or Pittsburg team. If those are the match, I’ve got a sense that the Series is very winnable.
    Contrary, they just aren’t large enough to take the physical abuse of a Bruins team. THAT TEAM is in your face for a full 60 minutes. Toronto is trying to match that.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Sorry Dave. Gridiron, maybe.
      I think sometimes we overstate the Boston size thing; I believe we are capable of beating them with our own kind of game.
      Yes, I acknowledge Chara is not only huge but excellent. But also beatable. Lucic is big and useful… meh.
      In fact, the guys who worry me more are Seguin, Krejci and — I hate to say it — Marchand. But I think we are more than capable of capping those guys, the way we very nearly completely capped Syd last night.
      Now, I’ll hold up my hand and say conspiracy is not alien to my thinking on the Boston Cup win. And if the refs/league want to let dirty play prevail over quality play once again, then I’d be less optimistic. I believe we can take the Bruins. I’m not so sure if we can take the Bruins AND the league.

• DAVE. N says:

Excellent point, but I’m not all about the size; it’s the style of play.The Thornton,Lucic, Chara hit you hard all night; Marchands’ the new Kenny Linseman, yapping in your ear all night; THEN you’ve got the Seguin, Krejci, Hamiton, Bergerons’ that are, to be honest, pretty talented.
        Take out the punishment, and I’m with you. The Habs system WILL work against the talent,just not sure about the abuse.

And, oh yeah…Colins’, kid with all the NHL ears Daddy can smoke.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yikes, I forgot Bergeron. Cheers. And you have to like the kid Hamilton.

But. I still see the game as our talent against theirs. There’s only a war of attrition if we stray from our game. But what do I know?!

One thing I’ll post closer to game time is this amateur theory: I think Chara — star and all that he is — has a rather UNprofessional short fuse. Why not bang him every shift? Of course it won’t hurt or intimidate him. But I think he resents anyone having the impertinence to make physical contact with him! ANd when he loses it, he ends up in the box, at which point the entire Boston D is reduced to Very Ordinary, as we saw last game.

And another confession: I think Campbell (jr) is a useful player; not his fault his father is a corrupt bollox!

Cheers Dave

57. Loonie says:

Anyone else want the Habs to finish 6th in the conference?

58. jackbutt says:

Solid game last night, now MT has to light a fire under the boys asses to score more goals tonight against the Booouins.

59. Bash says:

All Habs fans want a timeline on each of the injured.

One week? One Month? Day to Day?

For suck fakes tell us something!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

60. habsfan0 says:

I’m looking forward to Claude Julien’s post game press conference tonight in front of Dunkin Donuts sign.Julien might say that anyone who claims Tim Horton’s is better than Dunkin Donuts is just embellishing.

61. Gazza Strip says:

Just read a story on Boston Globe where the so called reporter rips into the Habs again for diving last game and expecting the same tonight. Was probably the most biased and unprofessional newspaper story I’ve ever seen. Nothing like throwing BS on an already stoked fire. Man I hope we beat that team tonight. Go Habs.

62. Dunboyne Mike says:

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Cooke’s rationale for sticking Gio and taking penalty, followed by Coach Dan’s well thought-out approach to being a man down:

“At least it sends a message that we’re not a team that’s just going to allow stuff to happen and let it fall by the wayside,” Cooke said. “We’re a group in here that sticks together.”

“Our guys were up for killing that penalty,” Bylsma said. “We definitely went over the boards with the mindset that this was a penalty we were going to kill off.”

63. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Habs needed a “dirty” goal last night…worried about tonight without Prust.

64. Propwash says:

Are Diaz and Bourque officially on the LTIR list?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

65. Garbo says:

Confident about tonight. Boston has yet to beat the habs when first place is on the line. Classic choke artists.

66. jon514 says:

Hmmm. I’m reading Price and Ryder’s comments, and I can’t help wondering, what happened to the “No Excuses” motto over the past week. Twice in a row I read about how many shots we took and how the bounces just didn’t go our way…. NO EXCUSES!

67. Garbo says:

If the Habs are able to play like they did last night against the Pens, I think we have very little to worry about. I imagine Pittsburgh is starting to worry. Based on that performance, they know they would not last a 7 game series against the Habs.

I don’t think many teams could for that matter… if they continue to play like they did last night. The goals will come. It is an anomaly to not score at all on that many shots.

Based on last night, and this season for that matter, there is very little for us to be concerned about at this point.

• mdp2011 says:

I highly doubt Pittsburgh is worried about any team.

• Garbo says:

Then they’re stupid. If they play like they did last night, they defintely should be.

• habs-fan-84 says:

then that’s their problem.

I would imagine a few years ago, both Washington and Pittsburgh thought like that…we then beat them both in 7 games. If Pittsburgh still hasn’t learned they’ll be out of the playoffs in short order…AGAIN.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t agree. If those two Ryder posts had gone in P-burgh would have just opened the throttle.

We are competitive with the Pens but they are the better team – by a considerable measure.

• Garbo says:

Of course they are good. But so are the Habs. And last night I think they proved they could beat Pittsburgh in a long series if they keep up the compete level they showed.

A team allowing 37 shots on goals is rarely gonna win. Especially not by only scoring 1.

• Loonie says:

From the perspective of talent there’s no arguing your point. But teams that have high quality star power often fall victim too relying to heavily on their star or stars.

A team with depth will almost always beat a team with high end talent at the top but mediocre depth.

• vancouverite says:

I think the tight loss this game and the last game indicate that in a 7 game series … we would probably win 3 of those games ! They’re just a little better than the Habs

• habstrinifan says:

I want to believe you, that a performance like last night means we are in good standing right now to prevail in a 7 game series against Boston or Pittsburgh. And I am cosidering the return of Prust and Bourque and Diaz to the level they were before their injuries. I want to believe… but.

68. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Hope the D has enough gas for tonight…3 played 25 min last night. Hopefully Tinordi gets more than 7 minutes…

• t1tan5 says:

Tinordi was drafted specifically to face teams like the Bruins. I’m really interested to see how he fares tonight.

• Luke says:

No he wasn’t. Not at all.

He was drafted because he was seen as an NHL calibre hockey player.

He was drafted where he was because the Habs thought wouldn’t last much longer and had already dropped lower than they expected.

There is such an unhealthy pre-occupation with the Bruins around here. All reason abandons at the merest sight of that silly spoked B.

69. habstrinifan says:

Teacher’s pet!

70. Luke says:

Don’t know why everyone keeps pointing at the hit goalposts. It’s not even a shot on net. They’re wide. Do you want goalies to start saving the pucks going wide too?

71. Trisomy 21 says:

I don’t think you’re watching other teams play enough. We aren’t hitting posts more any often than other teams. Just seems that way because we’re rooting for the Habs. They hit a post and we think “damn, what if” The other teams hit the post and we’re thinking “omg thank god wtf” and push it out of out minds or tell ourselves “Price had the rest of the net covered so well, an inch to the inside would have been in his glove.”

72. Bripro says:

Like Price pointed out, it’s a game of mm.
    A few to the right or left, and it’s in.
    You can’t dismiss that.
    Very few goals can be as clean and accurate as what Crosby scored.
    And are you gonna tell me that a goalie will let a shot go by assuming that it’s going to hit the post or go wide?
    Of course we want him to stop them all.

73. shiram says:

They already do actually, how often do you see a goalie glove a puck that was clearly going wide of the net??

74. Luke says:

Was kidding… Can’t remember who it was, but a goalie in a post game was asked about a post being hit and that’s what he said…. ‘what? Now you want me to stop the ones going wide too?’

75. Bripro says:

LOL. :)
    Oh…. OK.
    I hadn’t heard that one yet. But that’s pretty funny.
    With that kind of attitude, you sure it wasn’t Torterella?

76. GrosBill says:

WOW! This is sarcasm right? Some may disagree but I actually thought Price played VERY well last night.

77. Mattyleg says:

Hey bro, this ain’t TSN 690, bro.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

78. Ghosts of the Forum says:

But if Dryden and Roy were in net, that’d be unfair.

Actually…can you have 4 skaters and two goalies? That’s not a half bad idea!!

79. habs-fan-84 says:

He did play well.
    He should’ve scored though ;)

80. New says:

He did play exceptionally well. But if you don’t know anything about sports you follow the ball or puck. The puck always goes to the crease then a light comes on and everything stops. The announcer tells you someone scored. If it isn’t your team then you blame the guy standing there.