Barch suspended one game for shot at P.K.

krys-barch-13-nhl
The NHL has suspended Krys Barch of Florida for a racially-tinged remark directed at P.K. Subban.
Barch was tossed out of the Canadiens’ New Year’s Eve game against the Panthers.
The NHL cited  an “inappropriate comment” in suspending Barch for one game.

“Mr. Barch has admitted making the remark, but denies that the comment was racially motivated,” said Colin Campbell, Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations. “While we accept Mr. Barch’s assertion, as a player in the National Hockey League, he must be held accountable for making a comment that, in the context in which it was made, and in light of the entirety of the circumstances, was offensive and unacceptable.”

There are reports that after Subban went down in a tussle with Florida defenceman Erik Gudbranson, Barch asked the Canadiens’ defenceman if he had “slipped on a banana peel”.

The reamrk was overheard by linesman Darren Gibbs. Barch was given a 10-minute misconduct and a game misconduct.

Kerry Fraser has weighed in on the issue in his TSN column:

Political correctness in our ever changing world demands us to be sensitive to the feelings of others. The hard truth is that the intolerance and inequality well documented throughout history was never okay but certainly something to learn from.

Even though there is no ‘PC rule book,’ we should all know what type of comments cross the line. Some years ago, ‘racial taunts or slurs’ were added to the NHL rule book under Game Misconduct, rule 23.7 (ii) to address these changing times. Respect and tolerance for the differences of others is something that we must uphold.

1. Ferg says:

Help me understand the NHL’s position please…

“Mr. Barch has admitted making the remark but denies that the comment was racially motivated,” said Colin Campbell, senior executive vice president of hockey operations. “While we accept Mr. Barch’s assertion, as a player in the National Hockey League he must be held accountable for making a comment that, in the context in which it was made and in light of the entirety of the circumstances, was offensive and unacceptable.”

So, Colin Campbell accepts Barch’s assertion that this was not racially motivated. OK, so all he is guilty of is trash talking by using a fruit reference. This is now a suspendable offence? I’d be pissed off too if I was suspended for making a reference to a piece of fruit.

What is more likely is that Campbell doesn’t believe Barch when he says it wasn’t racially motivated, and therefore the suspension. But if that is the case, he should have said that and given a longer suspension. To say that the remark wasn’t racially motivated and still suspend the player is sucking and blowing at the same time. It was either racially motivated or it wasn’t. If it was, throw the book at him. If it wasn’t (and that seems to be what the NHL is accepting) then set the man free.

You know the problem with the administration of this league? It is populated by hockey players and most of them are just plain dumb. Put some business people, lawyers, adademics in charge and run this like a corporation. Not like some raggedy-ass chapter of the local rotary club.

PK should be pissed and so should Barch (if he is as innocent as he claims). And if he is not innocent, Barch should be thankful that Colin Campbell is such a dumb as……..paragus.

2. ZimHabwe says:

OK, many of us are wondering how bad it was that Barch had to be suspended one game. Answer is there was most likely a racial connotation in what he said. Or else the ref would not have come charging and thrown him out for misconduct. Also, out of all the things to say to someone (particularly a black player) on the ice – “did you slip on a banana peel”? Really? Not even Don Cherry would use that as a figure of expression.

Anyone who knows anything about sport dominated by white (mostly male) players around the world will know that the banana has come to be the new “N-word” of the sports arena. (see European football). I’m sure Barch knows this. If he didn’t then, he knows it now. A better “punishment” would’ve been to do what the NBA did to Kobe Bryant – Make Barch a spokesperson for the league against all kinds of hate.

3. kirkiswork says:

If the same remark was directed at a caucasian does it then become a non racially motivated inappropriate comment?
    Isn’t that then also worthy of suspension ?

4. Thomas Le Fan says:

Having a mixed racial family, myself, I’m against any kind of racial slurs and other nonsense of that sort but that’s some pretty slim evidence. All the silent comedies and cartoons I’ve seen had white folks slipping on banana peels. I’d be willing to give Barch a pass on it and … punch the living sh*t out of him the first chance I got.

• powdered toastmann says:

Well said/I pretty much agree…although, I doubt that the Habs have anyone on the current roster who is capable of carrying out the last task mentioned in your post.

5. gmur says:

Some of the ‘friendly banter’ that usually goes on during hockey games… I guess in today’s league this would be seen as offensive, but this is an example of how it was in every league I played in from Midget to Junior to University hockey… not that long ago.

I suppose one could argue that it’s all part of getting into a player’s head. That being said, I was witness to only one racial comment in all the years I played, and I played with Asian-americans and African-Americans. I have to admit, I was the player who received the most disparaging remarks, being an anglophone playing in a francophone league. It never bothered me that much. It just motivated me more for the next trip into the corner.

You heard it here first: The Habs will make the 2013 playoffs.

• The Cat says:

I kind of agree with you as long as it doesnt get too out of hand. But thats the NHL: you can give someone a flying elbow to the head and run into goalies and it has a good chance of going unpunished, but dont call anybody any names or clear the puck over the glass -then youll pay!

6. Natty-Dread says:

I’m all for eliminating racism from, well, everything. Being dark skinned kid has opened me up to a fair amount of racism. But ridiculous trash talk is a huge part of hockey. If – extreme example – somebody calls a brown skinned player a piece of Sh**, will they get suspended because of the color reference? Thats more or less the same as the ‘banana peel’ business (assuming that was said).
    This debate is going to become extremely contentious as more people of different races get into the almost exclusively white game of hockey, and its going to be really interesting to see how it plays out.

Bobcat Bob
      Given the way the NHL operates ( Colin Campbell especiallY) , I assume the ” banana peel” reference has been ” sanitized” to save face for the league. I feel the player should have been fined a large sum and suspended for much longer.

7. The Jackal says:

It’s such a nightmare to see Boston steamrolling teams every other game… WTF?

• SPATS says:

And yet, we all know they fear us… we’ll sneak into 8th and dust em in the first round

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

• Marc10 says:

It sucks… but I think they’re peaking early.

Then again I didn’t think it was possible for them to win last year and thought they’d need two cracks at it…

• jwhogeveen says:

I dislike the Bruins as much as the next Habs fan but I love hockey and the Bruins are dominating. They are running 4 lines each night and everyone is producing, by far the deepest team in the league.
      @SPATS I dont want to sneak into 8th andplay Boston…. I would gladly take 7th place haha

Cheers

8. montreal ace says:

Seeing AK last night and his play is such a tease, he makes me wonder if he has been misused by the Habs, or just does enough to get by. I think he could play better if he wanted too, and I know other teams are looking to get him on the cheap. I guess if we want tokeep him, we should also sign him now like Gorges. I easily see him playing better, with just more effort. I also think he needs a guy like Moen around, so I also want Moen signed

9. Rightwing says:

Kick PK’s rear end in a fight: no problem!

Call him a name: Suspension!

Hypocrites.

In the real world, hate acts trump any speech any day.

10. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I’m not sure if the connection between slipping on a banana peel (an incredibly common figure of speech) and racism (portrayal of black africans as monkeys or apes) is clear to me. But I wasn’t there, didn’t here the tone in which it was said, so best ere on the side of caution I guess. It’s easy to imagine the kid was merely calling PK a diver (which he is, let’s face it folks) in which case it’s a shame Barch has been painted with this brush. Also easy to imagine that there was a
    racist dig intended in what he said, in which case he didn’t get enough. So what do you do? Can’t categorically call this a racist event though. Nor not one. One thing is certain – PK’s theatrics are wearing thin on me.

How long do you think the CBC’s time delay will be on Cherry when he discusses this one? :)

• Just A Guy says:

I’m sure the only thing Cherry will discuss Saturday will be Brian Burke and his rant about having to let Orr go. For once I might like what he has to say on the subject. I hope he brings up the gladiator-esque equipment players have these days.

11. The Jackal says:

Darche and Blunden for Getzlaf??? Man I wish trades could happen like in NHL 12.

12. Boomer says:

Am i the only one who found what pk did disgracefull? starting something, and then cowering on the ice in the fetal position?

Boom baby!

• krob1000 says:

already took a bad penalty earlier..was trying to draw one…I see fighters do it too…it’s part of the game now. PK is gonna have to drop them with someone a little tougher soon though and earn some respect because he is losing it more and more…even guys like Avery, Ott, Carcillo,etc drop them …however PK is normally our icetime leader so he is problem under pretty strict guidleines as to when that is acceptable.

13. Big Bird says:

Couple of cents from the peanut gallery:

1 – I think the suspension was appropriate because racism has no place in our game. I’ve played hockey and I’m cool with trash talk. But I draw the line at racism. You have no idea what it feels like when it’s directed at you. Using that kind of hateful language as an edge on opponents is just like using steroids for an edge – it’s wrong.

2 – And for those who say it’s PC (political correctness) run amok – I wonder how many are black or a visible minority and had a racial slur uttered at them? Just curious as it does make a difference. Furthermore just because other blacks such as rappers drop the N-word doesn’t make racism right and it’s just a reprehensible.

3 – If it’s unacceptable to throw a banana at a black player on the ice (what happened in London, Ontario recently) then asking a black player if they slipped on one is the same thing. It’s not semantics.

4 – I would never accuse Barch of being racist as I’ve heard good people say stupid things and regret it afterwards. It was careless and ignorant. And there are consequences to words just like your actions such as unintentionally high-sticking someone and getting slapped with 4 minutes. In this case it was 1 game for Barch.

5 – Barch admitted he said it so time to move on. I’m glad the NHL is taking a stand as I’ve been to soccer games in Europe where black players have fans making monkey chants at them. It’s disgusting and we are better than that as a society. Some sports/club venues (in Canada) used to have signs that said “No dogs or Jews allowed”. That was viewed as being okay so looked how far we’ve come.

6. My point is that we all need to stand up and speak out against injustice. Even when we feel uncomfortable. And I’m glad that the linesman did it. And the NHL did it as well.

• English is not a Crime says:

My issue would be more with the consistent inconsistency (nice eh?) that the NHL has with such rulings.

Grier was giving racial slurs to Simon about being an Indian, Simon responded back to Grier. Grier was ok, but Simon got 4 games.

Another pair (I forget who now) traded another set of insults. One was ok, the other got 4 games. (in these two cases the 4 games were for referencing a monkey to one player and the other player was called a boy)

Prospal told Brisebois that he was going to him him, you f**king Frog. That was deemed ok. (so some animal names are ok, others aren’t)

Avery makes a comment about sloppy seconds and gets (I forget now) a whack of games for that.

Simmonds was apologized to over the banana incident and a week later he was giving gay slurs to Avery. He was let off the hook on those hateful remarks.

Barch makes a banana peel reference to Subban and it’s 1 game, but a monkey reference is worth 4 games?

I am not standing up for discrimination or prejudice in any way shape or form, in fact I feel the Habs should be docked draft picks for their discrimination in hiring coaches and for actually apologizing for the crime of hiring an English guy, admitting their discrimination. The NFL has it backwards in their efforts when they punish teams if they don’t interview a black man when looking for coaches (qualified or not).

All I wish they would do is make up their minds on whether saying rude, crude, racist, bigoted things are wrong (in which case punish them all equally) or aren’t (in which case punish none of them) and stick to that. Then again, they can’t even do that for blatant attempts to maim one another so…

• Lizardking89 says:

well said there’s no room for racism in the game or in this day and age.

14. krob1000 says:

I hope someone has been on the phone with Colorado lately…Duchene is out til med Feb and they are in a playoff fight…we just may have an extra center nearly healthy. They are also a low salary team so Gomez just might benefit them that way as well. Seems like a fit to me….where do we sign?

15. krob1000 says:

wow…sobering fact for the day…the 8th place team and 7th place teams are 5 and 6 games over .500 hockey…….for us to be there (at 5 games over .500 hockey we would need to win 8 in a row). That would start us on about even ground in a dogfight for one of the last spots…..yikes…..2 points in october is 2 points in april and our start is still pretty well insurmountable but if there is any hope we need at least two 8 of 10 games stretches where we are winning and not giving up any tie points to conference teams….

• Marc10 says:

Yep. There’s your reality check and it’s not very likely.

I’ll take the Moen-Eller-AK show for the good night that it was. They put on a clinic and I’m hoping they keep doing just that…

• krob1000 says:

Those games in Florida were the straws that broke the camels back…..I had really given up on looking at the standings too much a week or two ago……but that game and Gio on his way back gave me a glimmer of faint hope……that is now alll but gone….but we should be able to reload easily for next year

• matt jordan says:

too bad Moen and AK won`t be around much longer, while Gionta and Gomez will

16. RiverviewCanadien says:

Wow…Boston is a whopping +69, not even at the halfway point. I love the Dropkick Murphys, but I hate the Boston Bruins.

So what does CGY do? Will a coaching change solve their issues, or are we about to witness a firesale/rebuild?

17. price365 says:

Barch got what he deserved maybe should have gotten more – I’m white and I think PK is a Great kid and a good defenceman – why do people have to be ignorant – get a life.

• hablifting says:

I am a half native/half french and moved to a small redneck town on the west coast when I was in early grade school. I couldn’t speak a word of english. I dealt with ton of BS from other kids and adults. As far as I am concerned this is entirely blown out of proportion as per usual by the PC police. Someone who uses “racist” language to try and harm someone is a complete idiot lacking in creativity. Someone who takes them seriously enough to be hurt by it I would have almost less respect for. Time to grow up.

18. Bill J says:

I really wish the Mods would explain why they delete some posts, while I do appreciate the moderation process, I only see benefit in at least emailing the offensive poster with a warning…. something!!!

Try to improve the site, don’t just hide the problems.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

Senators fans must be licking their chomps.

20. hablifting says:

LOL. The fluke-coaster Russian team finally comes to a complete stop. Big suprise. Although I would rather see Canada win then Sweden, I’ll take the Swedes over the Russian Diving Team any day of the week.

21. Duracell3 says:

OMFG finally. Most boring game of all time.

22. otter649 says:

Good for Sweden – 1981 is a long wait without Gold…..

Cant for the life of me guess who will be Russian player of the game…..

24. HABZ24 says:

hopefully cunnyworths new offensive system works itll help open up our freewheelers like cammy,gionta,patchs,eller. lets hope. ellers done it rest must get it in gear too. we need to win 8 of next ten and awesome after that to have a playoff spot. yes we can! go habs go

25. ProHabs says:

Haven’t seen the Swedes play at all this WJC but I see they have outshot the Russian by a large margin. Anyone who has seen them play this WJC, are they that good.

26. HABZ24 says:

good stupid kid hope that chunk of change he will miss teachs this dumb azz punk a lesson nhl is a class league

Have to believe somewhere JM is watching this game saying, “now that is how you play the system!”

Is the Russian coach a genius for starting Their backup goalie?

29. TorontoHabsFan says:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, but after last night’s game Eller has only 1 less point than Sergei The Superstar!

30. habaholic68NJ says:

Sweds play tonight looks like the Habs play over the season. Lots of buzz but no finish

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

31. diehardhab says:

Does anyone have a stream for the gold medal game?

The torch be yours to hold it high!

@MTLJosh

32. ProHabs says:

Ryan Getzlaf is available for trade. COme on PG, get him over here in red, white and blue.

Offer Pleks and AK. Imagine Getzlaf and Eller as 1-2 centers to throw against the Bruins.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I’d work Nok in on that deal so Getz could wear #15…

I’d say Pleks for Getz straight up!
      and Gionta if they want him

• English is not a Crime says:

I’d take Ovechkin for Darche straight up too, I don’t think Washington or Anaheim are likely to make such trades though. Then again, Jagr was traded for Beech and Roy was traded for Thilbault (only after we threw in our captain) so you never know with these GMs.

• matt jordan says:

Yes, sometimes a trade is made and you can`t believe how well another team makes out.

For example, look at that trade that the Rangers made to acquire McDonagh! It was a shrewd move to say the least.

• LA Loyalist says:

Hilarious.

It would take Plex, AK and probably Gorges or Emelin to get Getzlaf, and that is doubtful. But the truth is Murray is basically trying to shake up the team, Getzlaf is not moving.

If he were, Ducks would want a healthy Markov (they badly need stability in their own zone), Plex to replace Koivu (who is probably in his last or 2nd last year – though it would not surprise me if he played a year on Wild with his brother should Teemu retire) and a young player.

The problem is we don’t have a healthy Markov. They don’t need young D having Fowler and Vishnovski, who are both really talented.

The problem with these trade scenarios (and I would LOVE to have Getzlaf here) is that we don’t have the depth to play. What’s the point of filling one huge hole (a #1 center) if it creates another huge hole (say we gave up PK for him).

We have to bring up our kids carefully, and do some under the radar drafting, as we did with Markov, Halak, Huet, Streit, Emelin… Obviously with the internet finding guys like that has not gotten any easier.

But we don’t have the depth to do much else.

• matt jordan says:

I`d sacrifice anybody on the Habs to acquire Getzlaf really. Except for Price.

I think whoever gets the best player in the transaction wins the trade… It`s a lot easier to replace depth players than to find superstars

• matt jordan says:

It would take a little more than Pleks and AK to pry Getzlaf away…

But yes a bonafide number one centre, it would be weird to see in Montreal.

• LA Loyalist says:

There used to be this book for sale: “All That Men Know About Women” – - the pages were blank.

Strangely, it make me think of Scott Gomez’ highlights reel.

33. The Dude says:

So Barche made the Banana peel statement in Florida which is loaded with Blacks ,Latino’s,Asians ,Jews and X-European white-bread Crackers! “wooops” Well I’m sure the few remaining First Nations peoples hope they all move.

34. Nitroslices says:

@Ian Cobb…..Visentin over Wedgewood against Russia?…Hindsight is always 100%. Last year Mark Visentin was in against Russia and look what happened. Giving Visentin a well deserved credit, he was in the nets and earned a shutout and a bronze metal. He made 27 saves in the 4-0 Canada win over Finland.

35. HabFanSince72 says:

Shot total is 39-4? I’ve never seen anything like this.

• HabFab says:

I did on December 31st ,1975. Greatest game in history my “boris”!
      Habs dominated and Russians had only 13 shots, Tretriak was awesome and I am having an unpleasant flashback!

• Bill J says:

What game are you talking about ? Calgary had 19 shots after 2. What even more lopsided game is going on ?

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

36. habsfanforever7631 says:

If the Banana peel thing is true, then how are we suppose to believe Barche didn’t mean it in a racist way?

1. why did he say it in the first place?
    2. why did he say it to Subban, who is black?

Come on your saying that to a black player!

37. Nobody says:

It would be nice if AK and Eller could play like that more often. Definitely a line to keep together. A bust season though. I know, they could…, but who really sees it happening. Still think we need some meanness, or make the team bigger and tougher, which means some changes to our core.

38. Nobody says:

Ffenliv, its not heresay, it’s heresy (unless you meant hearsay).

39. SlovakHab says:

Wow, those frackin Bruins.. Were the Wings so dominant in any of their season as they are this year? Dismantling opponent by opponent and losing 1 in 10 games, badly outplaying everyone (since we beat them twice).
    I hate them so it will hurt watch us finish in the regular season and hoping they don’t repeat.

Kudos to Chiarelli, what a GM. Great drafting, awesome trades (save Kaberle but they paid extra for him because they won the Cup clausule), built an awesome team without any contract worries for the future.

40. chilli says:

So we’re not gonna make the playoffs and proved last night that we can win a game with no Gio, Gomez, Markov, Camarro (he did ok, but not that much)… I happen to like Kaberle for his offense and his first pass is always right on the money.

So let’s dump the rest and start building around the youngsters.

Boston is killing it. We have no chance against them no matter what version of Gio, Markov and Gomez come back.

Tre

41. HabFab says:

Are we seeing the old Russian “rope-a-dope”?

Edit; Thank you Bob Mackenzie at 9:27 pm. Either that or quit stealing my lines !

42. tippytoes says:

When is it gonna stop…this political correctness …should the Swedish players get suspended for smashing those Russian nesting dolls?…Should all banana be banned from stores?

43. LL-not the hockey player says:

The kids watching the games can see the players and coaches mouthing F**k on beautiful HD, whereas only the official and some players heard what Barch admitted to saying.

There is hypocrisy in everything the league does, even when they take a stand against racism, they come off insincere.

Barch is a no-name-brand, that’s all. I think PK is the only one who can list all the remarks he has heard over the years, and by whom.

44. likehoy says:

just saw this scott gomez highlight reel.. He shows some of that real talent he has in this clip!

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

Who is everyone pulling for tonight? I am unsure, I always enjoy watching the skill of the Russians, but also like the underdog role.

• Habfan10912 says:

Leftover cold war feelings for me. Sweden

• Bripro says:

If what RDS reported earlier is true and the Russians were cocky enough to say that they knew they would beat the Canadians, then I hope Sweeden shaves a little edge off that block of arrogance.

• Duracell3 says:

I’m sorry, but any Canadian calling a Russian arrogant is just laughable.

How many “It’s Canada’s Game” signs do you see every year? How easy is it to predict after EVERY loss in the U20′s or WC every year “Oh, we didn’t have our best players.” We are by far the most arrogant and worst losers there are.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Sweden.

Respect to Russia, but their arrogance, embellishment and over the top goal celebrations drive me nuts.

Lots of good metal out of Sweden as well, so definitely rooting for Sweden lol.

• Bripro says:

Let’s all just admit that we’re pi$$ed that they beat us.
      Go Sweeden!

JUNIOR HOCKEY!
    Before we dropped the puck with the Russians, I said that I thought we had selected the wrong goal tender for the game. I believe that was the difference in losing the game. Water under the bridge now.
    This tournament is the best hockey being played on the planet every year. Great fun to watch.

47. Garghamel says:

BS PC. Unless they have some inside info on Barch’s intent (highly unlikely), this suspension is to appease the the torch bearers, hence the 1 game handout. Think about it; 1 game for racism? I don’t think so.

• SmartDog says:

Sadly, if Barch was from Boston this would have been over-looked.

But you can’t let people get away with excuses or “maybe I didn’t mean it”… “my glove was stuck”… “I couldn’t stop”… because that just opens the door to abuse. Unless, like I said, the guy is from Boston. Then, whatever – if there’s an excuse, let him off the hook, precedent be damned.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

And in other NHL social behavior news Alex Ovechkin doesn’t know what the word spit means in English (as I cough bullish$t)

You have to show respect for difference, especially when you are looked up to and admired by all the kids. Their hero’s have to lead the way in society so that the kids have a better understanding and respect for others my friend.
    Sad that you had missed that class HH

• HardHabits says:

Look Ian. You obviously don’t understand what I am saying. Sadly you are also guilty of something I am against. Prejudicial thinking. Read what I said a few more times maybe.

• Ian Cobb says:

I will. I apologies if I was wrong about what you wrote HH

• HardHabits says:

I apologize too Ian.

In retrospect I see the value in these minor suspensions or disciplinary actions. It just annoys me that too much of this is subjective. Maybe I am insensitive to certain things and too sensitive with others.

Maybe I am too much of an idealist in some regards even though I claim to be a realist in others.

50. Ton says:

Um pretty gutsy, its one thing if he played junior hockey in Russia……he could board the plane quick and get out……..sure his agent will be talking to him………….be a little more politically correct.

51. kempie says:

If the new poll question had asked “will they” I’d have voted differently. I took it as a kind of mathematical question.

Does anybody actually know what was said? Maybe the linesman is a bit sensitive. Did Subban press charges? This is beyond silly.

Nobody should be suspended for a rude gesture or even a so-called racist remark.

Intent is everything. For Barch to be racist he’d have to be uncomfortable, possibly even unable, to be on a team that had people of colour on it. He’d have to display on numerous occasion derogatory behaviour and insults towards those people of other persuasions.

Whatever was said, and we may never know considering the shroud of secrecy, is pointless. Maybe a disciplinary hearing or a bit of talking to if it was so over the top.

What kills me is rappers drop N-Bombs like there is no tomorrow but Michael Richards makes one poorly delivered attempt at humour and all of a sudden the mob is heating up the tar and skinning birds.

It’s a load of hogwash.

The politically correct don’t say anything or oppose the authorities and certain teams get away with murder while others are incarcerated for looking at somebody the wrong way league is a parody.

Seriously. If it wasn’t so retarded, and by that I mean mentally retarded, I’d be laughing.

• G-Man says:

We are never going to know what was really said.
      This is Denis Leary’s Rescue Me crew discussing this very subject. **Caution to anyone going to this link. You will be offended**

• HardHabits says:

I once got a book of ethnic jokes as a kid and it was hilarious. Pretty soon newfie jokes are going to be illegal. Frig.

BTW. That skit was hilarious. Nothing offensive about it.

It’s not what you say. It is how you say it.

Barch wasn’t making a racist statement. It was a cut down. At least the alleged comment appears to be. Slipped on a banana peel is a double whammy because there is the monkey/skin colour connotation but beyond a doubt the same thing could have been said to a white person and the meaning would not have been lost. Slipping on a banana peel is one of the oldest cliche jokes and site gags in the lexicon of humour and slap stick comedy.

So sue me for having a twisted sense of humour. I know where I stand in terms of open mindedness versus prejudicial thinking.

• Bill says:

The only thing that offends me about Leary is how much of his material he stole from Bill Hicks.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Bigdawg says:

I did not think you were a troll but its either that or the dumest most jaw dropping thing you ever wrote : O

• Bill says:

Gotta disagree with most of this. To suggest that to be really racist a person would be “unable” to be on a team with players of other races is … odd. Lots of racist people work with people of other races. That should be obvious.

Michael Richards did not make a clumsy attempt at humour. That was an enraged rant.

The incident was dealt with well. You can’t condone that kind of behaviour: makes the league look bad, and it’s a bad example for kids who look up to these guys. 1 game is exactly right.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• HardHabits says:

A remark was made. It was considered base. To suggest it was racist is IMO making the matter a worse case scenario than it should be. If you want to look at it strictly in a PR way it would have been better to not have played that card at all. I still think a lot of this is subjective and the element of intent plays a huge part and is also IMO not something that can easily be proven. If it was not possible to prove intent on an action like slamming a person’s head into a stanchion then how on earth can you ascertain that you have conclusive evidence of intent with a statement.

It’s just sensationalism.

Obviously people are still too segregated in society. Makes me think of the movie Bulworth.

• Bill says:

I dunno how they missed the stanchion thing! But I think they got this one right.

They screw up all the time with their incosistency: the Wiz suspended for obscene gesture, but Ference gives the Bell Centre the finger and it’s a hockey play.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• HardHabits says:

My point exactly. With this instant nobody heard it but maybe Subban and the ref.

Ference flips the whole world a bird and nothing. So there’s definitely a double standard.

I also think we are judging outward expressions too harshly and not looking at the root of the matter and instead glossing over the real crux, and that is that we are too uptight. Changing behaviour is important but it is not enough, perceptions have to change to make those behavioural modifications persist.

Not enough laughter going around. Too much huffing and puffing. Like a bunch of old British ladies with their Victorian sensibilities saying, “Well, I never!”

• Ian Cobb says:

HH

Bobcat Bob
      Your post explains a deal great about you.

• Psycho29 says:

Just when I think you can’t stoop any lower than you have in the past, you surprise me.
      You should have left here the day of the Kaberle trade like you promised.

53. Exit716 says:

Come on, he said something more substantial than what’s been agreed to by the NHL. That comment is worthy of a suspension, but breaking a guy’s neck isn’t?

54. Habfan10912 says:

I wish the HIO folks could come up with an ignore button.

So any chance if we rewind the Chara “hockey play” on maxpac we could hear anything muttered under Chara’s breath regarding Maxpac’s ancestry, since that would be suspend able?

56. J.J. of Turku says:

Off topic, but congrats from Finland! It’s not embarrassing to lose, if the other team is better…

57. Habitoba says:

Is it just me or if the NHL wants to discipline somebody for racial slurs in an effort to curb that kind of trash talk, why is it we are not only reporting the incident but we are trying as best as possible to recite what was said by the offender? If something was said that was deemed bad enough that it warranted a suspension, why is it good enough to be printed on a website for all to read?

58. deuce6 says:

They did the Whit…Err the right thing…People have to stop being so sensitive when words get mixed up with the situation…

I remember a game against the Leafs and Glen Healy was doing the color commentating…Subban was trying to mix it up with Kulimin…Colton Orr stepped in and Subban skated away…Healy went on to say, and I quote,”Orr lets Subban know that they are not putting up with any of Subban’s Monkey Business.”

Now I am sure Healy wasn’t really trying to be blatantly racist, but it was inappropriate because of who was involved..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

59. Habsolutely says:

as I posted earlier, Erik Cole seemed to think there was something said about Subbies parents. There were a few habs on the ice who heard the comment so somebody knows exactly what was said. I can’t see it being as innocent as “did you slip on a banana peel?”

“Teammate Erik Cole said the comment may have been made about Subban’s Jamaican-born parents.”

60. habsnyc says:

I read a comment elsewhere that a reporter contacted a player who explained that “slipped on a banana peel” is a not uncommon comment in reference to a player to hits the ice unaided during a scuffle or fight. It is generally a comment meant to decry the player’s turtling or avoiding the fight.

I have no idea if this comment was meant innocently or was racially motivated. Just a weird sport where giving a guy brain damage in a fight is a finve minute penalty, but making a bad joke elicits a suspension. That’s why, in the end, Shanahan is pretty much useless.

To clarify, if this comment was made after someone else slipped, it would not be racist. Given PK’s reputation for starting things he does not finish, I interpreted the comment to refer to his interior fortitude and not to his exterior skin color.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Nobody really knows except the people within a few feet of the incident.

In my opinion Barch was attempting to be racist.

• ffenliv says:

Out of curiosity, without knowing what was said, or how it was said – what are you basing your opinion on?

All we’ve got is heresay, and some fan/media conjecture. Hardly seems like the stuff of making an informed opinion.

Of course, you’re entitled to it, I really am just wondering how you came to that conclusion.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I just don’t think Eric Cole or other members of the Canadiens would make it up. I doubt they enjoy making a fellow hockey player seem racist on a national stage.

• ffenliv says:

However not Cole or anyone else knows what Barch’s intentions were. They can report what he said, but that’s all.

I just find myself being uncomfortable with accusations like this when there’s no way for the average joe to really know what was going on, since everyone is tight-lipped about it.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Anything to do with black players and bananas sends alarm bells off in anyone’s head I’m sure.

It’s not like Barch is some stupid kid. He is 31-years-old and has been a round the block a few times.

@Hobie, perhaps Barch often went around the block but just as often couldn’t find his way home due to his IQ :)

• Hobie Hansen says:

All in all I’m sure Barch is not a racist. He was just doing everything in his power to aggravate Subban and said something very dumb.

Hockey players use every word under the sun but there are some in society that can not be said.

• ffenliv says:

I have to say, it’s quite refreshing to have a civil conversation on HIO. Several times after I first arrived here, people accused me of not being a Habs fan at all because I didn’t just blindly support whatever other fans said.

A pleasant change!

• HardHabits says:

The people who tend to be less critical of the Habs tend to vilify those that are. It’s called irony.

• G-Man says:

The linesman heard it and reported it. For this to have happened, the comment was…wait for it!…..racist.

• kempie says:

Based only on what I’ve read, I think Barch was attempting to be somewhat funny. Not a very good attempt. Could have been racially based or maybe not. Either way, I’ll go out on a limb here and suggest the Panthers don’t have this guy on the roster for his brains. It makes me wonder what kind of things the Bruins can get away with saying on the ice. Must be pretty much open season for them.

61. Natty-Dread says:

Rumor has it PK slipped, and Barch Said something like ‘did you slip on a banana peel?’.
    Also, is Beaulieu playing in the WJC bronze game? Havn’t seen much of him…

62. Peter Young says:

Social guru Kerry Fraser writes: “Political correctness in our ever changing world demands us to be sensitive to the feelings of others.”

And to think I always thought it was common decency that demanded that we not racially insult others. Silly me.

63. colin_nowra says:

I’ve been trying to find out what it is he said, after finally seeing it I don’t get how it’s racist at all. Didn’t any of you watch cartoons where they are constantly slipping on banana peels? (bugs bunny) more recently Mario kart banana peels or if you’re ancient old black and white movies of the three stooges or something using banana peels

I just don’t get it

64. otter649 says:

Barch should have gotten an extra game for being so stupid to be caught uttering the phrase which takes some doing……

65. Hobie Hansen says:

I was going to give Barch the benefit of the doubt because I thought he may have used the “N” word in the heat of battle, which to me isn’t that crazy.

The reason being is that I’ve said really stupid things when angry and I’ve also had people say equally stupid things to me.

But to think up the slipping on the banana peel remark took some thought and is definitely going out of your way to make a racist remark and he deserved to be suspended.

• habs03 says:

what?!?!? The N-word is unacceptable under any circumstance!!!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Bah, if I’m in a fight and I call a guy the “N” word I really don’t think he’d be too concerned about it.

If someone was punching me in the face and called me a piece of white trash I really don’t think I’d be to concerned.

People say dumb things, especially in hockey fights. Once the adrenaline settles down I’m sure they wouldn’t say those things.

In Barch’s case he wasn’t involved in the fight and muttered it while skating by, now that is totally racist and unacceptable.

If that makes any sense.

66. Dunboyne Mike says:

Is it confirmed that Barch contacted PK after? If so and it was genuine, and not merely window-dressing intended to lessen his sanction, then give the guy some credit. He is clearly ignorant but may well smarten up after this incident. If it ever happens again, hit him hard.

Speaking of guys learning, have I just not been paying close enough attention or has Matt Cooke had cleaner season so far after his major suspension last season?

Happy New Year all.

67. HabFanSince72 says:

Memo to Kerry Fraser: objecting to racist speech is NOT political correctness.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Good point.
      It’s like religious tolerance — as in, I dislike you and consider you both ignorant and inferior, but I’m going to TOLERATE you out of self-righteous piety.
      That said, doesn’t appear to be much of an issue in the NHL!

• IamShepherd says:

Do you ever write anything that does not bash a comment? Buddy, maybe you should teach English classes to our French fans…

68. habs03 says:

I don’t think Barch meant it racial but he still should be held accountably for the words he uses, using the banana reference to a black person is just wrong. Hopeful Barch learns from this.

69. gwebster says:

hate hate hate hate

70. colin_nowra says:

Slipping on banana peels has nothing to do with monkeys

71. roady says:

holier than thou you are..,.you phony phuck…new it …everlasting jerk…feel your head pal…

take your drink to the end of the bar buddy…come on now, don’t be a fool…

72. Clay says:

A. Lot.
    Not ‘alot’

__________________________
    ☞ “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau. ☜

73. kempie says:

Maybe but he’s no Pouliot.

Hmm. You made E1 look good with post of yours. And that isn’t easy.

75. roady says:

I like what Burke said, and he said a hell of a lot more than your statement which you’ve taken way out context…he was absolutely right in my opinion…said (deleted) other’s are to chicken- (deleted) to sayy …right on Brian, you just got yourself another fan…

take your drink to the end of the bar buddy…come on now, don’t be a fool…

76. colin_nowra says:

They’re different.

Slipping on a banana peel is not racist and when Barch says he didn’t mean it in a racist way i believe him.

Throwing a banana at a black player implying he is a monkey is racist.

77. HabFab says:

Peacemaker? Never heard of that Tank…hmmmm!

What peace? I am going to swoon in and destroy whoever of these two jerk offs is left standing.

79. Bill says:

Whenever I hear one of those guys talk about how there didn’t used to be cheap-shots in the NHL I wonder which alternate universe they just popped in from.

Full Breezer 4 Life

80. Bobcat Bob says:

Bobcat Bob
    Bill , you are correct. Burke is lost in another of his blowhard time warps.

81. Bill J says:

3rd was an aided empty netter. Eller, earned all FOUR of his goals. JaWho ? Eller would look great in STL eh?

PG for the win on that deal.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

82. Everlasting1 says:

It does get tiring Bill.

——————————————————————-
    “As I looked, and behold, a whirlwind coming out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness about it. Out of the midst thereof, was the colour of amber. And in the fire was what looked like four living creatures.” Ezekiel 1:4-6

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Really you realize it now? Thanks E1 we will miss your posts.

84. Bill J says:

Then maybe you should find another place to share your hockey knowledge. No one is forcing you to visit this site.

Good to hear I annoy you so much, you now know how many feel of you. :)

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

85. Bill J says:

STL can bow down if it wants. Terrible Hockey strategy if you ask me.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

86. matt jordan says:

Those are really good odds.

But i`m not sure what the `Starley Cap Chimps` award is. Must be a St. Louis Blue thing.

87. Duracell3 says:

STL might make the playoffs to contest something……MTL on the other hand….lol. We do have a pretty good chance of falling under the Islanders though.

88. Bill J says:

The way I look at it is, we win either way.

Top draft pick, or playoffs. The world will not come to an end if the Habs miss the playoffs. How does Tampa Bay get Stamkos and Hedman. While having Vinny (who so many Hab fans still want for some weird reason) and St.Louis !?!?!?

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

89. Bill J says:

google : Brad Marchand Starley Cup

Trust me, it’s worth it for a good laugh.

edit: unless you were poking fun at the Chimps part, if so lol… my bad.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

90. montreal ace says:

Your right he said something much worse, NHL does not want this type of problem in the news.