Balsillie totally denies pursuit of Habs

Further to the story brewing today about moneybags Jim Balsillie being interested in buying the Canadiens, this email was received this afternoon from Balsillie’s lawyer in his hockey interests:

"Jim has absolutely no reason to believe the Habs, or any interest in the Habs, is for sale. Furthermore, Jim has met Mr. Gillette (sic) on more than one occasion. Not once has there been any discussion of a possible sale of the Habs now, in the future, ever…….not a controlling interest or a minority interest…..nothing. It is true that Jim is a Habs fan and has attended games at the Bell Centre, which he has enjoyed."

The lawyer added that Balsille "has a tremendous amount of respect for both the Canadiens organization and for Mr. Gillette (sic) personally." Basille apparently has sent an explanation and apology to Gillett about today’s published report.

1. habs-13 says:

I blame the NHL messed up schedule for last night’s loss. It’s twice now in this young season that the we have had a 5 day break in between games. We came back from a long break and lost to the Ducks, then we won 3 straight. Now we come back from another long break and lose to the Jackets. How are we supposed to establish a rythym, when we have almost of a week off at once? We have played the fewest games in all of the NHL, so what the hell are we doing with all these days off in a row? A couple people on the team do need to step it up though. Latendresse got off to a fast start and seems to have lost the drive he had at the start of the season. O’Byrne is taking too many bad penalties and doesn’t seem to be playing physical enough. Both Kostistyn’s haven’t done much this season but seem to be working, Sergei a little harder than Andrei. They just don’t seem involved in the play as much. Komisarek and Kovalev aren’t having bad season’s, but are looking a little off and giving the puck up way too much. Finally, Halak hasn’t looked good in his last 2 starts. He’s making a habit of letting in soft goals, which we just cannot afford. Although I couldn’t imagine this at the start of the season, if he continues like this, I could see him being sent down and Denis being called up.

2. georgesd says:

At CKAC there are two audio interviews Michel Villeneuve and another broadcaster made with the two journalists at La Presse. The comments attributed to Balsillie were made after the formal part of the interview. And they were unsollicited by La Presse.

I have absolutely no reason to doubt of the veracity of his comments about the Canadiens. I honestly believe he became over-excited about the issue and simply said more than he should have. In retrospect, he regrets and has apologized but, as we say in French “le mal est fait!”.

The comments he made were made after the formal interview, in the hall leading to the elevators. So I doubt there is a taped recording of it. However, the main journalist is publishing her write-up today in a financial publication.

Just thought it important to clarify what the +15-20 minutes of audio aluded to.

Regards, Georges D

3. LTHF says:

Lets call a spade a spade, last night’s lost was the result of Capt K taking a brain cramp at the faceoff and consequently lost the man advantage, 2 quick goals and the rest is history, however, one point is better than none. Think the Habs will have to be very sharp tonight against the Leafs, they are playing everyone very tough and the Habs D better tighten up considerably.

4. REB2 says:

Rejean Houle, you had your chance with the team. Leave this version alone!

5. habs haven says:

It’s quite obvious we need a 4th D man. I don’t know what’s going on with Komisarek, but he just doesn’t look right. He’s giving up the puck alot, and opposing players are beating wide to the net. As well, Lang is just way too slow. I mean having Lang and Lats on the same line, is like watching molasses pouring out. I believe our team will look very different come April. Lang, Lats, Sergei, Dandy, and O’Byrne will be gone, replaced by d’Agostini, Maxwell, Pac, and on D, weber will be there, and to help our PP. I think the habs will also go get another defenceman, maybe Boumeester or Schneider,or someone else when teams bow out of the playoff race. But looking at the way we’re playing now, something is missing. last year we had more jump and energy and our passes were crisp. In general, even tho our record is good, look at who we’ve played. not exactly great teams. The guys need to play 60 minutes every game, and with more intensity. I fear the leafs tomorrow. If the habs play like they did tonight, it will a long night for our team!

6. Mitch.sc says:

wow. seriously?

do you get how hockey works?

some player have bad games or even bad stretches, especially newer ones like obyrne and sergei, how can you think that they wont be with the team in april?

and then Maxwell and pac will be invincible too i guess and will never have bad games, and will play perfectly forever. or maybe this time next year they’ll have a few bad games and you’ll talk about getting rid of them too?

the team is finding it’s rhythm, ya this sucks right now but you can’t go replacing every player who doesn’t play well for a few games.

7. NoTinFoilCups says:

Wow at last a quality feed, wahooo!

8. georgesd says:

I’m pleased to be of help. Later in the game I went to live radio at CJAD w Murray Wilson and cohort and found that the 2-3 second delay was liveable. So I turned off the feed audio and listened to the p by p at CJAD. At intermission, I then went back to CKAC for Danny Dubé’s comments: he’s the absolute best analyst.

Regards GD

9. georgesd says:

In case some of you are looking for the best feed for live streaming NHL and other sports. Absolutely the best image quality with “local” commenting, ex. tonight it’s Blue Jackets commentators calling the game. Can’t sync w CKAC since there is a delay.

Go to http://atdhe.net/ .

Best regards, Georges D

10. ross says:

Still between periods at the moment, but the audio/video quality looks top-notch from here. Thanks for the link!

11. habs haven says:

I knew if it went to a shootout we would lose, because Halak is lousy at shootouts. He makes me very nervous when he plays, always allowing soft goals. I think he is an AHL goalie at best!

12. mrhabby says:

a shit game. we get a point. should have one it.

13. Ton says:

I am not quite sure we have a stanley cup contenter. I believe Det & Duck are definately ahead of us. In addition to this we would have a hard time winning a 7 game series against Sens/Flyers/Sabres/Devils/Rangers in the East. Were missing something. I realize were getting points but we have not played well. In my opinion we are definatley weak on D and if you noticed tonight we do not have good shooters. Were often missing the net. In fact Breezer is our best shot from the point this tells you something. I think now is the time to start thinking about dumping some players that we may in fact lose next year. We have good amunition to obtain a good player, we are deep in the minors, and if we retool the team now we could make a go at it come April.

14. rp25 says:

I think that s called…PANIC BUTTON.

15. Mitch.sc says:

ya, or maybe we’re just not a shooting team.

16. Mitch.sc says:

I’ve never said this before but here goes. Halak (who i reaally like) is mostly responsible for that loss. I even gave him the benefit of the doubt after Anaheim, but that was weak. He needs to get back to his normally solid self. also ya, not great on shootouts.

One more bit: why was andrei our second shooter? wouldn’t koivu make more sense since generally he’s pretty reliable for those, and also we beat mason low mostly which is where koivu shoots, and also andrei (who i love as a player) kinda has a lousy shootout record. i could have probably gone on with a few more “and also’s” but i think i made my point.