Bad news piles up

Cammalleri
As the Canadiens prepare to face the Bruins in Boston, Brian Gionta is lost, likely for the season.
And Mike Cammalleri pops off about his teammates.

After most of the media had left the Canadiens’ room after Wednesday practice, Cammalleri had a chat with Arpon Basu of NHL.com and François Gagnon of La Presse.

His remarks – exonerating Cammalleri’s own poor play, whining about his reduced ice time and calling out his teammates for their “losing mentality” – enraged the panel on L’Antichambre.

There were suggestions Randy Cunneyworth make Cammalleri a healthy scratch against the Bruins. But the Gionta injury and the Canadiens’ lack of depth make that unlikely.

The bigger question: Does Cammalleri want out of Montreal?

Gagnon thinks so.

P.K. won’t be fazed by boos in Boston

Good piece on Lars Eller

Will Bruins force other teams to toughen up?

1. --Habs-- says:

See ya and don’t let the door hit ya on the way out! No big loss. At this point George Laraque would be an improvement.

2. Thomas Le Fan says:

Maybe Cammaleri should stfu, suck it up buttercup and play harder for his millions. Just a thought.

3. English is not a Crime says:

Wonder if Anaheim wants to take the gamble on Cammalleri, since they want to get rid of Bobby Ryan and all?

Then it’s time to cut Markov and Gomez, I’d sue to void Markov’s contract since he was injured when he signed it and never did play under it, get Gomez to head over to Europe to void his own contract ala Huet. That sure frees up an awful lot of salary cap room between the three of them. Close to $20M would go a long way toward signing a couple in house free agents to be and then they would have loads left over to take a run at some of the other guys on the market, either at the deadline or in the offseason. Maybe some more size up front even (hint hint)

• kirkiswork says:

Quite sure I have read this exact posting 2 or 3 times before.
      Copy, paste anyone.

• English is not a Crime says:

Quite sure you haven’t read this exact post since I just typed it out. Learn to read before making a fool of yourself anyone?

• kirkiswork says:

It’s true, I do feel foolish.

• English is not a Crime says:

S’ok. With the amount of stuff that gets repeated to death over here, it’s a natural assumption to make about a lot of posts. Did you hear Price and Halak both used to play here and the fans were rather split about them? Or that Gomez hasn’t scored a lot of goals in the past year, especially considering his salary? Or that the Habs have an English coach and it hasn’t gone over so well, even though Martin was fairly inanimate on the bench and no one seemed all that happy with him for it?

• kirkiswork says:

Yeah, it does get quite repetitive. Maybe something will happen soon to give us a new thread.
            Maybe even a win tonight.

• Curtis O Habs says:

George Parros is the other player on that roster I would target in a package deal.

• --Habs-- says:

Gomez is fishing in Alaska laughing at every snapper he catches. Thats as close to Europe he will get. He Sara Palin he sees Russia from his house and thats as close as he wants to get to Russia. Like everyone else hes trying to stay or get into America not trying to leave

• LA Loyalist says:

Actually, does anyone know how the contracts are insured? I think Anglais has a point on Markov.

As heartbreaking as it is, how much longer do we wait for him?

As for Gomez, I think we are screwed. How do we get him to go to Europe? (Though I know a couple of guys personally who played in Europe and had a blast, it’s not like sending them to Afghanistan).

And finally, the Ducks don’t need a soft sniper, up front they need a Bob Gainey type, on D they need a Craig Ludwig / Josh Gorges type. Much as I’d like Bobby R, it doesn’t fit with what they need.

That said, and I’ve said it before, Kings are a different story and they would like Cammaleri. Who would we want from them (no we’re no getting Doughty, JJ or Kopitar).

4. HNS says:

We need the Hanson brothers tonite. Perfect time to SlapShot them Boobs.

5. LesHabs says:

Here is some more bad news:
    -Darche is still in the lineup (would he even make the Roster in Hamilton?)
    -PG is still in charge.

This could be the last good game to watch this season for the Habs. Lets hope we can take 5 of 6 points this weekend and come Monday PG is gone.

6. HFX-HabFan says:

So I traded Pleks away from my fantasy hockey team- sent him away, along with Brian Elliott- for Kris Versteeg and Marc-Andre Fleury.

Fleury gives me a legitimate starter to go along with Price (it’s a 12-team Yahoo rotisserie pool), and I have Rask as a third goalie.

Still have MaxPac as a starting LW, and Cammy is stashed on my bench (though I wonder if I should start him tonight against the Bs), so my Habs contingent on the team is still relatively high.

• krob1000 says:

Fleury is a legit starter but they are hurting with injuries…badly. They are going to be in a dogfight to make the playoffs with their injury situation. When healthy they are elite…when near helathy they are still elite…when decimated they will ahve to fight their way in ike everyone else….they have lost a ton lately and are still a ways from getting anymore help..Letang, Crosby and Staal are all key cogs..and are all out long term

7. Furk says:

As much as I was on the Cammy bandwagon, his recent comments have made it hard for me to cheer for him. The famous question comes to mind when hearing Cammy whine, “What have you done for me lately?”

He blames the system and his reduced ice time, yet his goal production is no where near where it should be. He played on a team coached by Mike Keenan and still scored 39 goals, and for that he can’t blame the system. Like people have mentioned, if you’re not scoring goals you better be preventing them, but Cammy is too often caught staring at the puck and coasting. I don’t remember seeing him do that too often in his previous two seasons with us.

IMO, we should try trading him while he still has some decent value with his playoff performance. I’m thinking a team with a sure shot to the playoffs will be looking for his services. I also think a change of scenery will do him good. For us it will give us some cap relief, and I also think a player like Gallagher can take his place. The other unfortuante thing is that we can’t trade Gionta with his recent injury.

What do people think?

• ebourcier says:

January 12, 2012 at 10:29 am Im just as big a habs fan as anyone but this has got to stop, lets stop hitting the panic button, we have had some great season the past few years and we have some great tallent on the way(LL and Gallagher). Lets suck this season up to injuries and just an off year for some of our top players…. Lets NOT run Cammi out of town, Lets not forget this guy has been our best player(not including halak/price) in all four playoff series he has been apart of in montreal, tied a record for most goals thru three rounds off a playoff… the guy is a big game player.. one bad season is no reason to run a player out of town(gomez has had 3, you can pack his bags). If anything were to be done i would trade A.K cause he obviously only plays in contract years and could probably get a 1st rounder for him or high second. In dreamland i would trade gionta back to jersey(since they like to bring back old players) along with a.k and maybe a pick for parise(as the canadiens seem to like american boys). But lets not hit the panic button an trade a quality performer like cammi because of one bad season. Unless that is your getting bobby ryan in return

Ebour

• wd40 says:

Cammy’s got 2 more years on his contract; his cap hit is 7 million next year and the year after, making him more expensive than Gomez ;)

• Duke_Rauol says:

I like Cammi, but its apparent we have to many small players, if and only if we can get a decent return, not picks or pprospects, but a top six player , i d say go for it.

Or maybe a package deal to get Shea Weber? One can always dream!

——————————————————————-
      We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold……

• Furk says:

I do agree with the comment of not running Cammi out of town, but he hasn’t helped his cause. You don’t want a player talking like that and passing his attitude to the young players on the team.

We have seen over the years and been frustrated with the size of our forwards. Too many times we have seen them getting beat to the puck, being outmuscled in front of the net, and just beaten up period. We all know Gainey’s mindset of building the team around speedy forwards hasn’t worked. We have seen over the last decade that big forwards are coming up in the NHL, and these same forwards have speed. You can have one or two small players at a maximum, but you can’t have 5 of your top 9 being smurfs (DD, Gio, Cammi, Gomez, and Plecky).

• Duke_Rauol says:

Cammi , AK and pick/prospect for Shea Weber?

——————————————————————-

• Kooch7800 says:

would have to be a first round pick if you want Weber

• Duke_Rauol says:

id do a 1st rounder, build from Price out, Weber is an elite d man, good place to start. id try and sign AK if possible right now, and change it to Cammi Patches and 1st?

——————————————————————-

• Furk says:

Not gonna happen. For Shea Weber, you would have to give up Tinordi/Beaulieu, a first rounder, and A.K. There’s no way they’ll take Cammi.

• Duke_Rauol says:

For Weber, id give up Tinordi, i think Bealieu is gonna be the better of the 2. Nashville is weak up front, Cammi might help?

——————————————————————-

• CalgaryHab says:

The environment does not currently exist within ownership, management and most certainly socially to have a winning team. We are forced to buy high and sell low because of the environment that has been created. How often we see a players excel once they are gone and they enjoy playing again? (that is on the players too)
      I wish it wasn’t this way but it sure seems like that happens a lot.

• GUNKA DIN says:

If a team is in the running for the playoffs and wants a high level top six talent that scores lots o goals, what are they gonna jettison to get Cammy?
      High level prospects and big D or wingers? Prospects are a crap shoot, but if you are gonna shoot craps – go for big and nasty Bruin like prospects (plural for a top sixer). Gallagher has not yet scored one goal in the NHL, may never do so. And he is the same size as Cammy. Montreal needs big guys to compete with the top level teams.

see my blog at http://noroomatthedump.blogspot.com/

• nellis13 says:

We’ve got too many physically soft players and Cammy and Plecks are the only ones that would be of interest to a playoff team. Plecks is the Swiss Army knife of the team – we can’t trad him so that laves Cammy. He’ll be great on a big physical team.

8. LA Loyalist says:

I just remembered this – Selanne ripped his Ducks team mates a new one a few weeks ago – and it seems to have worked, he and Koivu cranked it up on the ice to help.

But the difference with the Cammi sitch is that Selanne is playing great, is 41 and has tons of experience. If Cammi was playing great he can talk, when he’s attending the Nathalie Wood/Scott Gomez School of Floating – - not so much.

• TomNickle says:

Exactly. When Cammalleri gets to 500 goals he can throw teammates under the bus. That’s a comment that needs to be made to everyone in the room. Not to Francois Gagnon and Arpon Basu.

• HFX-HabFan says:

Especially not Francois Gagnon

• Bripro says:

I have to tell you HFX.
          I watch François Gagnon on RDS’s AntiChambre, and when he’s on CTV during Brian Wilde’s sports report, and the guy is pretty sharp.
          The only issue I have with him is his taking exception to the coach’s lack of english, although he didn’t go overboard or insist on a sit-in.
          As far as I know, he’s never played near the professional level, but he’s a realist, and far less extremist than say Bertrand Raymond, who should be in the french dinosaur museum by now.

9. Danno says:

Cammy probably shot is mouth off on purpose just so he could get out of playing against Boston. I’ll bet he really would rather be eating hotdogs in the pressbox instead of playing “the best hockey” he’s ever played in one, two or even three years.”

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• shiram says:

Disagree, you can fault Cammy all you want but he is a competitor, and wants to play and play alot.

• Bripro says:

Why do you take exception with Pleks?
      The guy is always paired against top lines.
      He’s one of the league’s best shut-down guys, but can’t do it by himself.
      Personally, I think Cammy is floating, as many have suggested.
      He says he’s a better player than last year and the year before.
      I don’t see it. Going one way, fine, but he seems in limbo coming back.
      This year, he’s playing like a prima dona…NHL’s version of Barry Bonds.
      But you’re wrong about Plekanec.

10. gmur says:

Having played high-level hockey, if a teammate of mine said the things Cammelleri did, it depends how he is with his teammates. If he’s a bit of a primadonna, it could be a rough practice for him today. If he’s just a hot-head and ran his mouth a bit too much, the team would be able to laugh it off and come out stronger. Either way, you don’t go to the media in Montreal, say things like he did and expect things to go smoothly. He knows where he is now… Montreal, not Nashville. So, what’s his motive?

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, I see it the same way.
      I think his teammates know that he’s a hothead. He’s been in practice scraps etc.
      I’m sure they’ll just shrug it off and say “Beh, it’s just Cammy being intense again.”
      I don’t read it that he pointed any fingers. He said ‘we’, not ‘they’.

But then again, who am I to try to put out the media-fuelled fire? A wet-blanket?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

The two of you just made a good point regarding the Montreal media.
        Many were pointing out here yesterday that several players refuse to come to Montreal to play.
        I don’t blame the fans, I blame the media.
        Who else could take a little language issue and turn it into the local sports story of the year?
        Frankly, I would rather see them all shut up, and just let the team play.
        That way, instead of hearing “he said….” or conspiracy theories, we possibly could enjoy a higher level of competitive activity.
        The media’s sensationalism knows no bounds.

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I don’t generally pay any attention to any of it.
          But, they gotta sell papers and get website hits, y’know?

Kinda like the little birds that pick the crud out of crocodile’s teeth.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Newf_Habster says:

The Laffs do not have much space in their salary cap.

• Les Canayens says:

Being a local Toronto (Richmond Hill) boy his treatment would be worst. Notice there’s almost no Torontonian playing for the Leafs? The one who does, Kadri, is getting thrown under the bus from time to time.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
      ☞ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.☜

• LA Loyalist says:

I think you’ve called it. Leafs are on the way up (hurts to say) and we are on the way down. And he’s a good Toronto boy, works out at St. Mike’s in the summer (I’ve seen him)…

Who would we want from Blowhard Burkie? Should we take Komisarek back? :-)

I don’t think Leafs have any players we want, or picks…

11. Newf_Habster says:

Supposedly we go ahead to traded a few of our guys with huge salary in order to have more space in our salary cap, BUT the problem is there are not many good unrestricted free agents after this season.

12. Habziefan09 says:

He wants to whine, let him ride the pine.. we don’t need him against Boston.. Not like his goal per million ratio has really worked this season anyhow.. If anyone has been playing like a loser, he just has to look himself in the mirror.
    ____________________________________________________________
    Twitter: Habziefan09

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”

13. Mattyleg says:

There is a very slight chance, very slight, mind you, that this Cammalleri thing might be getting blown ever so lightly out of proportion.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that the legions of media-types (who some could call ‘sharks’, but which I would never dare) who surround the team, and who often have little to comment on, are pouncing on this shred of information and inflating it to monumental proportions with unjustifiablty overblown hyperbole.

I would never suggest such a thing.

But one thing I will say is that when Michel Therrien says that he’d bench Cammalleri for saying that he’d like more ice-time, it makes a whole hell of a lot of sense why he’s watching his butt-cheeks grow in an easy-chair in L’Antichambre, rather than standing behind an NHL bench.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

I never watch RDS unless there’s a game on, and even then I make sure to only watch the actual game, none of the intermission stuff, none of the pre-game/post game stuff.
      I feel better for that.
      Cammy with what he said has painted himself the scapegoat, and Francois Gagnon certainly helped in that.

• mdp2011 says:

Great post.

Almost as funny as the turnstile post, Matty. Thanks! :D

• Mattyleg says:

Turns out my goddamn hand was broken!
        Got x-rays three weeks later and they said ‘yep, it’s broken’. Wasn’t displaced, so no biggie, but I think I effed up some tendons. Pinky still isn’t working right.

…. but it did make for a great story!! :D

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• LA Loyalist says:

Yikes. You have to isolate it, and be very patient. I just went through this with my left thumb and my second toe. You wish it were broken, it heals faster. But eventually it will.

Then you have to squeeze a foam ball like it was Scott Gomez’ neck to get strength back. You will feel really discouraged. (I missed a month of hockey) but it will get better. Good luck!

P.S.
          Tape the pinky to your second finger when you play, if it gets bent again you are screwed.

• Mattyleg says:

Thanks LA.
            I can bend it okay, it’s just the strength thing, and both finger knuckles hurt. I’ll take it easy. No dangerous nose-picking for at least three days.
            Okay, maybe two.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

14. RiverviewCanadien says:

Good article by Eric Engels on the Cammalleri situation.

This is what really sticks out for me from the whole interview (and article by Eric);

But the crux of the conversation comes at the very end, in which Cammalleri tells Gagnon and Basu to “read between the lines” regarding his commitment to the team, and hints at his willingness to accept a trade if he’s approached by the general manager.

There are a lot of things you can say that cross the threshold of what’s commonly acceptable, but that last one isn’t just over the line, it’s well past.

15. Les Canayens says:

August 2011 – “I expect this to be my best season ever,” said Cammalleri.

Reading this article one should listen to “If I Could Turn Back Time” by Cher to feel the full effect.

(instructions: open both links above in separate windows)

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

16. Budaj should get the start tonight IMO. Price will get banged around and could possiblity get injuried in the process. What then? Who’s backup? That would be the end of season for sure!!

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Season’s over, and I have a bottle of rum on the line in the Bruins/Habs season series. I need the W more than the Canadiens do.

____________________________________________________
      They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

• bleedhabs81 says:

If you don’t try to beat the bruins your conceding the season…. so does it really matter?

On that note, I am extremely happy that you are not the coach. When you play the best teams, you play your best guys.

If you are worried about injuries, go watch ballet.

17. habs03 says:

The funny thing is (sad really), even if we had Bobby Ryan and Getzlaf, we would still throw them under the bus after 1 poor season, even half a poor season.

• DorvalTony says:

Last cup 1993.

——————————–
      “Okay, everybody take a Valium.”

• CanadienBoy says:

DO we need to loose the next 3 game for Molson to realize the season is already lost

• Les Canayens says:

Indeed. Crosby was lucky Montreal did not win that lottery to draft him. It would’ve ruin his career by surrounding him with marginal wingers, and then when he underachieves because of it, gets “thrown under the bus”.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

18. RetroMikey says:

You know, I really never gave a squat about Gionta as Captain, one more year and it’s “C” ya for him or we trade him at trade deadline. Now everybody should realize that we need to get bigger on this club to compete in Bettman’s NHL.

I say we make Gorges for Captain!

But we have to face reality, we are not a good team and if I were Gauthier (with Bobby as his advisor), let’s start trading now and listen to offers for Gio, Cammy, Pleks, Weber, Gill, Kaberle, Moen, to name a few and get prospects and draft picks in return.
    Tanking is the only solution to bring this club back to where we once were, as winners.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• shiram says:

Sell low, buy high!

• durocher says:

I agree — make Gorges captain now.

• DorvalTony says:

You mean we aren’t tanking now?

——————————–
      “Okay, everybody take a Valium.”

• ebourcier says:

Im just as big a habs fan as anyone but this has got to stop, lets stop hitting the panic button, we have had some great season the past few years and we have some great tallent on the way(LL and Gallagher). Lets suck this season up to injuries and just an off year for some of our top players…. Lets NOT run Cammi out of town, Lets not forget this guy has been our best player(not including halak/price) in all four playoff series he has been apart of in montreal, tied a record for most goals thru three rounds off a playoff… the guy is a big game player.. one bad season is no reason to run a player out of town(gomez has had 3, you can pack his bags). If anything were to be done i would trade A.K cause he obviously only plays in contract years and could probably get a 1st rounder for him or high second. In dreamland i would trade gionta back to jersey(since they like to bring back old players) along with a.k and maybe a pick for parise(as the canadiens seem to like american boys). But lets not hit the panic button an trade a quality performer like cammi because of one bad season. Unless that is your getting bobby ryan in return!

Ebour

• G-Man says:

You’re only supposed to post tomorrow, if the Habs lose. Your schedule’s out of whack.

19. Kooch7800 says:

I wonder if we would be doing any better with Spacek still on D instead of Kabby? He has been playing not bad for Carolina cause he is a steady eddy. Lets face it our PP is not any better with Kabby back there

• shiram says:

How about Hamrlik? His contract is certainly better than Kabs. I miss that guy.

• Kooch7800 says:

I was thinking that as well but I do understand why they didn’t sign him as he wanted two years instead of just the one. In hind sight it wouldn’t have been so bad but going into the season I think Markov was supposed to be playing already and with Spacek and Gill, and Jorges we should have been better off. Now we just have puck movers back there along with Gill, Gorges and Emelin. Our D has killed us this year and the only person to blame is PG on that one. The Markov not playing hurt this team cause PG had a knee jerk reaction and signed Campoli and most recently traded for Kabby. This tied up much needed cap space and really has not paid off to date.

I know Markov will be a big asset moving forward but I think if they would have known he would have been out this long it would have been a little different in the off season

• krob1000 says:

Well…the power play was better but it has been a revolving door. There is no “power play” when you have 5 diff’t guys every time out there….. and certain guys have been shooting when they shouldn’t and others have been turning pucks over like mad….I think PK needs a break from the pp…I like Diaz’s ability to get pucks through and know when to shoot and hesitate. He doesn’t have the Streit bomb but his shot is pretty darn good but more importantly he uses it effectively. Subban is not making solid decisions back there…he is taking too long to get the shot off, one timing into bodies when no lane is availabe and not adjusting. The other day he could have walked in 15 feet forcing something to give int he lowered box…instead he took the shot…i question whether or not he even looks before he shoots. His reading the pp is not the greatest and he really needs to focus on what an effective pp guy does.

• Kooch7800 says:

PK needs to be off I agree. He has been brutal back there on the PP. Put Weber in his place. I just haven’t seen anything from Kabby recently on the PP to say he is the solution. In saying that he isn’t the major reason it is not working either

20. LA Loyalist says:

Bad news about Gionta. Now we can’t trade him for MAB. :-(

21. aj says:

I guarantee that when the Habs lose tonight (which I feel that they are, hopefully not) more finger-pointing will happen in the dressing room and the current fall-out guy is Mike Cammalleri.

If I were the them, keep him, let him live up to the scrutiny. Let him finish his contract or wait for him to ask for a waive in his no trade clause. Look at Carey Price, he got a lot of flak back in the 09′-10′ season (Halak was there to save his ass). He did learned from being benched out and luckily, he’s the #1 netminder the last season and now. Or maybe, RC should bench Cammalleri for a few games just to cool off peoples’s heads here in Mtl.

22. Hoegarden says:

Cammi has to play politics now; Apologize to his mates for calling them losers and then pot a couple tonight.

I am afraid the goons will really dump loser quotes on him tonight.

RC and Captain Gionta have their work cut out for this latest episode. Calling your mates losers with the press instead of facing the boys with it is not the right way to help the team. Which two losers will really want to play with him now ?

• G-Man says:

This may be semantics, but there’s a huge difference between “losing mentality” and “losers.”

• 123456 says:

i agree and cammy said “WE” – he didnt say everone else. he included himself. he knows he is playing poorly.

as with most other montreal stories this is blow way out of control – but it gets us talking right?

• Hoegarden says:

G;
        To quote Gagnon, from last night; Cammi used the word losers on several occasions during the 10 min interview as well as losing mentality.

A heartfelt apology should take some heat off him and with a bit of luck, potting a couple of winners.

• G-Man says:

I cannot believe what Gag(mewithaspoon)non reports. He’s made up bs before and has gotten away with it.

• DorvalTony says:

No difference. He knew what he was saying.

——————————–
        “Okay, everybody take a Valium.”

23. durocher says:

The situation in Montreal only gets worse — Gio out, Cammy publicly disses the team. There is a strong probability we will not make the playoffs his year. The question becomes, which pending UFAs do we trade before the deadline and not bring back? Candidates:

Kostitsyn
    Moen
    Darche
    Gill
    Campoli

In my view, we try to trade all for prospects or picks (though Darche will not get any interest). The only two I’d be okay with coming back in 2012-13 are AK46 and Moen.

• Duke_Rauol says:

If they can sign AK before the deadline id say go for it. If they cant sign him, imo they must trade him because i can foresee him heading to nashville to play with baby bro. Ive akwasy loved Moen so i hope they can keep him.

——————————————————————-

24. krob1000 says:

Cammi is a sniper…he does not create space…he excels at what he does…unfortunately we do not have Anze Kopitar or Jarome Iginla….Pleks is our best….although of late I would consider him playing with Lars and Andrei…it might jsut work if Lars continues and Andrei continues to work so hard away from the puck. I know Moen has played well in that role but imagine Cammi there with the way Eller and Kostitsyn are playing.

• G-Man says:

Pleks and Cammy need someone to give them space. Since it didn’t work with AK and Pac is too busy watching Cole, maybe try Moen and Blunden for a few shifts.

• shiram says:

They are trying Blunden on that line for the Bruins game.

• Kooch7800 says:

I like Blunden. He puts in some effort. Hopefully he will help them out tonight

• shiram says:

Sure he seems like a nice guy and he plays with fire and energy, but he’s a fourth liner for sure.
            Hopefully it works out for them, maybe they won’t face the Bruins top line and can capatlize on that.

• DorvalTony says:

Yep, never stopped JM from running Darche on the top two lines and PP. But I prefer Blunden to Matt. Imagine him and Whitey on the 4th line. What a crash line.

——————————–
            “Okay, everybody take a Valium.”

• habitual says:

Pleks and Cammy need to manufacture some space themselves. No one in the NHL gives you space.

• krob1000 says:

and few in the NHL bury when they do have space like Cammi…he is what he is…as was Ryder but Cammi is a better finisher than Ryder. I still think Larry with Andre and cammi might just work.

• G-Man says:

Big guys with speed and hitting create space. Smaller players can’t and usually don’t.

• krob1000 says:

“pac too busy watching cole” lol…kinds seems true of late. Pacioretty seems to have lost that drive with top speed and the work ethic in the corners and aggressiveness on the wall since his suspension….that was what was separating him and creating his opportunites before. He isn’t playing full speed…and speed is one of his biggest assets if not his biggest…sure he isn’t as fast as Cole…but he is still pretty damn fast and Dessy can distribute if he would just get open.

• Duke_Rauol says:

I mentioned earlier that Cammi needs someone to create space, might be worth a try with AK and LArry . but with Gio out, who plays with plecks?

——————————————————————-

25. aj says:

With this so much media hype around Cammalleri, I wonder if he’s contemplating right now and is asking why he put himself in this kind of predicament by signing with the Habs.

As if he took a BIG hammer to smash it in his head!

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

That’s what I’ve been saying all year, and not just about Cammy. The Habs must not do Psych evaluations on free agents when they sign, because they all must have a screw loose.

____________________________________________________
      They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

26. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I think some people here are being very harsh towards François Gagnon, who is not a stir the pot type of journalist. He is very much a reporter and that shows through in his editorials and blogs, which are very tame compared to the Rejean Tremblays, Bertrand Raymonds and Jack Todds of this world.

If you watched Antichambre last night (I don’t usually, but felt I should last night to get a sense of how the media is spinning this story), you would have heard Gagnon clarify numerous times that Cammy wasn’t saying the team was a bunch of losers, but more that you have to maintain a winning attitude even when the chips are down.

He clarified that Cammy was saying when you have confidence, you take the video sessions and board sessions with a grain of salt, because you’re confident that even if you don’t apply perfect coverage, you will make a big play later. When you have a losing mentality, you get too caught up in the video and the board sessions.

I don’t disagree with the message Cammy is trying to get across, and I don’t think any of the guys on Antichambre or François Gagnon more specifically disagree with it either.

The problem lies with the timing and the messenger. Cammy doesn’t have a leg to stand on here. He is playing like garbage and coasting. He is showing no accountability. If he had just played a game where he busted his ass off and then said “We all have to be better, especially me” and then said everything else, there would be no problem.

As TomNickle said yesterday, “Adversity doesn’t build character, it only reveals it.” Cammy always seemed like a character guy when things were going well, but he is revealing himself to be a toxic personality. If you want to say something about the team, you need to have capital with your teammates that is earned on the ice. Cammy has not earned the right to say these things this year.

He needs to look in the mirror and start playing better before he spouts off in the media, regardless of how valid his message might be.

• habitual says:

Yes, Jan. That is how I felt, reading his words as quoted on TSN, not pointing the finger at just his team mates.

His words would ring truer if he was playing better. As you quite correctly point out, he needs to look in the mirror.

• LA Loyalist says:

good post, you are on a roll lately (I know I’ve slammed you in the past) if Cole said the same things it wouldn’t be taken the same way.

I think it is partly that Cammi doesn’t have the right guys on his line, because we don’t have the right guys to give him. But yeah, he has to work harder.

Also, we all complain that athletes just give canned answers — but when they do speak frankly we slam them for it — we can’t really have it both ways.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I agree about the canned responses part of your post. I have found Cammy’s comments to be refreshing in the past. However, you need to know where you stand with your teammates when you make a comment in the media.

He was in no position to make that comment yesterday.

• mdp2011 says:

But that’s just the problem, Gagnon wrote his initial story in a way that gave the impression that Cammy called his team “a bunch of losers”, and that is when the sh*t hit the fan. Now what are people talking about? Nobody cares that Gagnon clarified his comments last night, the damage is already done. As Gagnon wrote today, Cammy knew what he was doing when he said what he said, and so did Gagnon. He knew by writing his article in such a way, it would create a massive sh*t storm, that’s cheap journalism.

27. Chris1138 says:

Just to throw some fuel on the language issue fire:

Translate at your peril: Study finds Anglos live longer

–| Brad Marchand | Starley Cup Chanpiar 2011 |–

28. Who’s the habs best player right now? There’s only one!!!!

Carey Price!!! That’s right!!!! Carey Price hands down.

Habs management ever decides to trade CP at some point are sending this team back for another Century. If CP went to a contending team in the distant future that team will have a GREAT chance of winning just about every game and THEE LORD GRAIL TO BOOT.

People should not wish for changes just for a change? Habs are ONLY a player or two away of competing with the BEST. I would like to see for a season this team go injury free. Man these pass few years have been brutal on how many key players on this team have been injuried. When is it going to end?

• Kooch7800 says:

We have a couple players that are not doing that bad. Cole? What about him? In my eyes he has been the habs best player with consistent effort night in and out and is producing. That line with Max P is fantastic and always puts pressure on.
      I would also say DD is doing not so bad either. He makes some errors but he is still steadily making production happen.

• G-Man says:

Agree. Cole is Habs best player this season. It’s about the effort and the results. Thus far, he has both.
        I really hope that Price does not go to that waste of his energy called the All-Star game. Let him have the time off.

• DorvalTony says:

19th in the league, Cole is the best. Should be captain in fact.

——————————–
      “Okay, everybody take a Valium.”

29. Hoegarden says:

@ Psycho29
    Damphousse totally rejected the “play Cammi for 25 mins” suggestion, which came from Gagnon. VD said instead that you do not reward a player with extra play time when he is in a slump and MT followed with “that’s creating more problems”.
    Please do not forget that Gagnon is a big Sens fan and that many of the things he says is with intent to stir the pot, for which he is a master of it (doing his job) as he puts it.

30. JUST ME says:

The comments posted here are exactly as they should be since in MTL it`s a lose-lose situation. More than ever it`s a negative atmosphere thickenned by reporters who are looking for scoops and fame. Since a reporter can not be seen as a fan (yeah right) then there is only one way to go, hate and destroy.

Been a habs fan for over 40 years so cannot see myself otherwise. Been through great times and bad times but never before have i been through that much general negativity. I am not pretending that it is wonderland either but give me a break ! Trade that guy,draft this one,fire him,way overpaid,always injured,selfish,underachiever,and what else ? Always huge dramas caused by blood sucking reporters followed by blind supporters that drink their every word.

It`s just not fun anymore. Not a word about tonite`s game ! Shouldn`t we ask ourselves why ? Facing Boston for pete`s sake !

Lose-lose situation.

• mdp2011 says:

Unfortunately, that’s what sells more newspapers and generates more hits, it’s called cheap journalism. Which article is getting more attention today, Gagnon or Apron? Clearly it’s Gagnon’s article, cheap journalism at its best. I would love to hear the actual audio of that interview.

31. SmartDog says:

On CJAD this morning Farber said that thanks to the contract Bob gave him, Cammalleri is untradeable. I don’t agree… I think his playoff performances make him desirable by a team that needs scoring.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

32. Duke_Rauol says:

IMO Cammi is a goal scorer who is at his best with a elite centre who can create open ice for him. As it stands now he has to fight for his ice and chances, and that is not his strength. Its hard to decipher what he was really trying to say in this interview because he is a smart fellow, im not convinced he wants out but it could be a possibility.

If PG does move him, who would be intererested? the Pens come to mind, but who do we get ? id love Stall on this team but is that at all possible? Cammi playing with Malkin would probably allow him to get 40 a year no prob.

——————————————————————-

33. who cares any more says:

Fans aren’t stupid. They aplauded Halak because he played a great game, as much as because they like him. They booed the Habs on the ice simply because the players are the only targets they have; fans know how frustrated players are, and how hard most are working without any rewards, but fans can’t direct their boos to Gauthier or Molson, so it’s the players who get the raspberries.

definition of insanity: keep doing same thing expecting a different result

34. krob1000 says:

Cammi is a lot of things…an idiot is not one of them…unfortunately we won;t know the real reason behind his remarks….there are diff’t possible scenarios ..none of which I would put past him.

1. He really does want out

2. He knew the media would jump on this and it would help bury the Gomez return, Price faltering a bit of late, Subban getting dogged,even Pleks, etc,etc,…maybe he was willing to take the heat….and also fire himself up. There were no safe players of late.

3. Maybe he wants to challenge the boys ….and start anew tonight. You don;t like what I said? play better than me…..

4. Maybe there really is frustration with the gameplans and maybe there are guys who are not on board….maybe he is one…who knows but I believe it was PG who said the team had guys who were not 100 percent on board.

5. Cammi is just frustrated and spoke out …it seemed to work for Pleks who rarely speaks out and actually for Pacioretty and even Halak for that matter. Pleks mentioned he isn’t getting pp time,etc…and voila! Pacioretty wanted top six and viola! Halak’s agent wanted time and then out…voila! maybe in Montreal the only way to get things done is this way?

35. G-Man says:

“I like playing in Boston,” Subban said.
    If Francois Gag(mewithaspoon)non had heard this, he’d start rumours about how PK wants to be traded to Boston. That’s how much credence I put to his story.

• gmur says:

Cammalleri has not been giving an honest effort this season. Watch him backcheck, forecheck, and hit. He’s not pushing himself like he has the last few seasons. Solely based on that, you wonder whether he really wants to be here. Now that he’s said the team prepares for games like losers and plays like losers… he also said, at the end of the interview that the two reporters could read between the lines. Doesn’t take a professional reporter to figure out what he’s saying, especially given how he’s playing.

• G-Man says:

Considering the earlier portion of the interview is properly recorded, I don’t believe FG’s crap. Produce the sound byte or don’t publish. This is no longer a single medium society. Audio and visuals are almost a must, especially when something “controversial” comes up.

36. petefleet says:

I’m very disappointed in how this is playing out. When the three amigos (Gionta, Gomez and Cammy) were fresh with team and played with purpose, it was fun to watch. Gomer sh*t to bed last year and continued that this year until his injury. Gionta underperformed last year and this year and is suffering injury. Cammy has not been the same player since his suspension. What difference that has made in him, I don’t know. Obviously something has affected his attitude towards playing and his team. He can’t really blame ice time because JM gave him regular minutes on the 1st or 2nd line right up to his departure. RC has reduced his time after the honeymoon period because he still is not performing. I will say this; he played his best hockey this year with DD. I thought he was coming around when he was on the 3rd line….ice time not withstanding. As for the losing attitude, the team is underperforming and has gone through some hard changes this year. It would be very difficult to be upbeat under the circumstances. 2 or 3 stretches of 4 or 5 wins would change all that but that’s a high mountain to climb. Aside from Max, Cole, Eller, Pleks, Gorges and DD, the whole team has struggled. The defence has been atrocious. PK is a shadow of his former self. I find myself cursing him now when he does a rush rather than getting excited because his rushes this year have been very costly for the Habs. Gill is not playing as good as last year…age maybe. The loss of Hammer, his steady play in all situations, can not be overstated. The rookies have not been able to make up for that loss. About the rookies; they have performed admirably. Diaz and Emelin will be great NHL Dmen soon. If not with us, someone else. PG has some serious work to do on the kid front. I hope he treads lightly and doesn’t give away the future. A note on Pleks. I would have him on any team any time. His line mates have been a revolving door this year and his work load has not diminished as it was projected it would. He is a stud and any team would be glad to have a guy who can do it all defensively and lead a team in scoring.
    The heart says I want them to make the playoffs and go deep. My head says I hope they don’t win another game so they can get a descent draft pick in the summer. I think it’s going to end up somewhere in the middle and that won’t be good for anyone.

******************************************
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

***Habs Forever***

• nunacanadien says:

It’s called defensive coaching. That is what Cammy is b*tching about. That is why we haven’t seen any of our talented players perform. Only time is when Cunneyworth releases the famous five men everywhere defensive formation that Martin spoke of early in the season. We may have fired the coach, but we kept his playbook. You think the Habs would let Cunneyworth come up with a new one? Did we hear that when Martin was fired? No. Did the habs go back to camp to learn a new style? No. It is because Cunneyworth is keeping the same horrible defensive style that cost us the first half of the seaon and why the habs are not going to make the playoffs.

• petefleet says:

That my friend is an overly simplistic look at the problem and certainly is not an answer to the problem. Defensive hockey did not inhibit that same team 2 years ago when they went to the conference final. Players like to win above all else and if they are part of that, even better. If Cammy et all were getting their numbers and Price won the Vezina and the Jennings, you would have a serious problem with defending your post.
        Just saying.

******************************************

***Habs Forever***

37. mdp2011 says:

To me this is all being blown out of proportion, if you read the 2 articles, they are completely different in terms of what he actually said about the team being losers. Francois Gagnon took what Cammy said in English, and spun it in French to make his comments look much worse than that actually are. If you read Arpon’s piece, it does not sound anything like what Gagnon wrote. Yes, he whined about not playing enough, but a lot of players do when things aren’t going their way.

38. Marcusman says:

Wow, just a little bit of panicking after losing to the 3rd best team in the league?

We need to relax….stay calm and play who’s hot.

Crazy Idea here but why not bring up Gallagher? Maybe his spark with catch fire… he’s crushing the jr. level…what do we have to lose.. bring him up for 8 games and see what happens?

Play Emelin already!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I guess they could brig up Gallagher at any point to play his 9 games. I’d do it the last 3 weeks of the season if Montreal is pretty much done.

I bet the Vancouver Giants would be rightfully pissed since their playoffs we be getting underway.

39. Hobie Hansen says:

I doubt any HIO poster is really dumb enough to hope Price is traded?

I’m telling ya, you put Price on Philadelphia, St. Louis, Boston, Rangers, Vancouver, San Jose and he would absolutely dominate!

Price is currently looking out of his crease in Montreal and seeing Diaz, Subban, Weber, Campoli and even Gill and Gorges and thinking there is really no contested real estate in front of him.

There is no stopping a big team like we saw the other night or like the one we’ll see tonight from getting into the prime scoring areas and blasting away.

Maybe Price should be standing on his head every night but I’m pretty sure he knows this roster doesn’t cut it and he’s hoping for reinforcements over the next couple seasons before really turning it on. His junior teams had a tougher and more physical defense for crying out loud!

Price looks huge in the net (6’3″) and has stopped
    91.5 % of all the shots he’s faced in a Habs uniform. Put a good defense and a good team in front of him and look out.

• shiram says:

Price can’t win games with the skaters not scoring for him.
      He is one of the key pieces on the Habs, just look at how many games he plays.

Hio has this mentality that everything management does is bad, but then they want to sell low and buy high.

• Hobie Hansen says:

If the media and fans every start pointing the dirty end of the stick at Price and he leaves town, forget about being a mediocre team and fighting for 8th spot, we’d be dead last.

• nunacanadien says:

You have the first part right. Price does well when we are scoring most of the time. Where Price does not do well is when team leaders like Cammy are struggling, but hey when the coach says play defensive, how can you hope to win. When the philosophy is to sit on a lead, not score into a lead etc.

40. John Q Public says:

Here’s my solution to all the habs problems:

Charter a plane. Load team on plane. Fly over Japan.
    Irradiate players and transform them into mutants!
    As we all know mutants play better hockey than smurfs!
    We could then play in the dark as the players would be glowing thus reimbursing Mr Molson for the charter.

41. Mr. Biter says:

Does Cammy speak French or did AP and FG suddenly learn English and were able to translate it to their readers?

Mr. Biter

42. HabFanSince72 says:

The combination of manic-depression and paranoia on this board reminds me of an opera board I occasionally frequented in the early days of the Internet.

You think you guys are bad.

Opera fans are much worse.

Remember that Luciano Pavarotti was heckled at La Scala.

• shiram says:

Sometimes people have to remember it’s only a hockey game… Take a look at your life, if your worst troubles are about your favorite sports team trouble, your leading a good life!
      the worst thing about the state of this place is it’s driving away good posters.

• nunacanadien says:

Actually it is the habs owners and management who have the mental illness. Which team would think Gomez is a top 6? Honestly? Or think sitting on a lead cause you have the world’s answer to goalies when he isn’t? It’s a losing philosophy.

43. ed lopaz says:

Cammy is a smart guy and he knew this would stir the pot big time.

This was no mistake.

The Vets can see the writing on the wall – especially with Gionta out for the season.

The Habs will be selling at the trade deadline.

Cammy is simply making himself available to the league.

When you want to be traded in Montreal, you talk to the media.

The word spreads throughout the entire league in 1 day.

Every GM can now contact Gauthier at some point and make an offer.

Nothing wrong with any of this – unless you happen to be a big Cammy fan.

But if the Habs were smart they would hold out for a deal that gets them some kind of scorer in return.

Preferably, someone who is younger, bigger, and has potential – because he won’t be as “accomplished” at the NHL level as Cammy is.

Guys that can score 30-40 goals at the NHL, which Cammy can do, are NOT easy to find.

There is NO WAY we should dump Cammy for a pick – he is worth much more.

For example, lets look at the Dallas Stars who are fighting for a playoff spot.

they have a prospect who looks good to me.

Alex Chiasson, a Montreal born player, who is 21 years old

He played a year in the USHL, and is now in his 3rd year at Boston University

at 6’4 195, right winger, who can score a few goals and make some plays (good number of assists)

here he says he patterns his style after Ryan Getzlaf because of his PHYSICAL PLAY and SKILLS.

That “type” of player would be something I would go after in a package deal for Cammy.

Maybe Chiasson + a 3rd round pick for Cammy.

• Captain aHab says:

Hate to break it to you but ANY guy on ANY team that would say what Cammy said would instantly be quoted across the league…this isn’t just a Montreal thing. Media look for controversy. Everywhere.

• Psycho29 says:

The only issue I have with this is like when “Saint” Patrick quit on the team publicly. You rarely get as much back in return when the other GMs know that the guy wants to be traded.

Of course this was the only topic on L’Antichambre last night. Michel Therrien said that if he was the coach, Cammy would be in the press box against the Bruins.
      Vincent Damphousse suggested that if he wants more ice time, play him 25 minutes tonight, especially when Chara, Thornton, etc are on the ice…

• G-Man says:

Therrien is going to be waiting to be a coach again for a looooooooong time. By the way, Gagnon misinterpreted what Cammy was saying.

• ed lopaz says:

actually it was Gagnon that suggested the ice time against Chara and Lucic.

Damphouse corrected Gagnon and said there is no way you give Cammy MORE ice time for going public.

Damphousse is a legit candidate for a GM job – maybe even Gauthier’s replacement.

• G-Man says:

How about if Damphousse actually did some GM work before taking up the Habs GM position? Being a successful businessman gives him some tools, but playing hockey isn’t managing a team.

• 24 Cups says:

Ed – How is Damphousse a legit candidate? He has no experience. Shouldn’t he have to pay his dues just the way Muller did? All of the other bright young guys in the league had to apprentice to some degree.

Making Damphousse GM would be just as bad as making Roy head coach. It could be Houle/Tremblay all over again.

• ed lopaz says:

yes. I agree. damphousse should apprentice as an assistant GM first, and then he could be an interesting candidate for a GM job.

• G-Man says:

“When you want to be traded in Montreal, you talk to the media.”

FFS, ed, they stick mics in player’s faces after ever practice. That’s a little excessive. No, make that a lot excessive.

I don’t see Dallas throwing away a 6’4″ young forward that can score for Cammy.

• ed lopaz says:

G-man – a microphone is not a gun.

Players “choose” what they want to say and how they want to answer the questions.

There is nothing “excessive” in my comment.

Cammy is a PROVEN NHL scorer who led the league in Goals 2 playoffs ago.

He is worth a top line prospect + 3rd round pick.

• G-Man says:

By “excessive”, I meant the media access to the team and its players.

• nunacanadien says:

With the recent changes in the NHL rules, these small tykes ain’t gonna get us cup boys. That is the sad truth. Cammy would do good if he and his forwards were released to let them play like they want to, like when Pearn was fired, or when Eller opened up. Those were times Cunneyworth let the boys play hockey. The rest of the time we are observing the horrible playbook of Jacques Martin and Bill Gainey. The defensive hockey where everyone lies down in front of a shot and we dont’ rush the other net for fear of getting a penalty or giving the puck away. That is boring hockey and we’ve had enough of that. It is costing us the season and it’ll cost us the playoffs if we keep this up.

44. dallyd31 says:

As the article by Gagnon stated…Cammy has few friends in the room. This will only make things worse for the team and himself. As someone ( Stubbs I think) said ” Cammy thinks he is the sun and the other players the planets”

Some have wondered aloud that there is something wrong in the room with the way this team is playing. Maybe this is the first true hint and maybe he is the centre of the issue.

45. RiverviewCanadien says:

One can only hope that Cammalleri comes out tonight and proves he is playing his best hockey in 2 years. In order for things to turn around for a player like Cammalleri, he has to look at his own play and make himself better, not just expect his line mates to do that for him.

Question: With Gionta gone for an indefinite period of time (maybe the rest of the regular season, yeah I said regular season, I can still dream), should the team put the C on another player? If so, who would you pick?

I think they should (same thing they did when Kovy wore the C), the young guys need that figure head.

I would choose Plekanec, but would also be happy with Gorges.

46. shiram says:

Hio : where fans complain about management, and thenturn around and want them to sell low and buy high.

47. ths says:

Wow. Thank God I snuck back to Mtl from half way around the world to catch the Bolts game win before this thing implodes. Also got to meet the hockey legends outside. Now back to reality for both me and the Habs

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

48. Psycho29 says:

Obviously having the players watch videos of the games isn’t part of the coaching strategy.
    For Cammy to say he’s playing his best hockey in 2 years, there’s a problem.

• G-Man says:

He said he’s a better player now than he was 2 years ago. Usually, that means he’s worked on different aspects of his game. To his mind, anyway.

49. Ali says:

This is all about how you think hockey should be played. All you have to do is look at St. Louis and how they play versus how we do. St. Louis attacks the puck carrier at all times and leaves not an inch of ice uncontested. They are on you, forcing you into making quick decisions and turn the puck over at all times.

The Habs start slow, have problems pressuring the puck carrier on a regular basis, cannot generate sustained zone presences, don’t have the size to wear down opposing defenses, and prefer to capitalize on the other team making a mistake versus forcing a mistake like St. Louis.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Thing is … that’s how we played against the Jets and Bolts last week.

• powdered toastmann says:

St.Louis is a substantially stronger team than both the Jets and Bolts.

• Ali says:

I still think other than the forecheck we allow entry into our zone too easily (this is a remnant of the Washington series when we would let them break in but block the shots off in the corners.

And i still don’t see any sustained offensive pressure. Eller’s line, sometimes, and for the first few games after RC took over the Nokelainen line was doing it. Our first line is, and has been ever since we got Cammy, Gio, Gomez etc, a one-and-done pop offense.

50. habs03 says:

I got Cammy back even with his poor season, but he should not have said what he said. The guy shows up when the pressure is on, and it looks like the losing is getting to everyone on the team. And again, what he said should not have been said on to the public, but hey he has a point, RC has not done a good job, and his system on a more aggressive fore-check hasn’t planned out.

Under JM Habs were 13-12-7, top 10 on scoring 5 on 5, top 10 in shots for, and top 10 in shots vs, top 3 PK, but one of the league’s worst PP.

Under RC Habs are 3-7-0, 16 in 5 on 5 scoring, 19 in shots for, 6th in shots vs, top 3 PK, and still bottom of the league in the PP.

Under the RC the Habs are losing more, and generating less offensively in regards to shots for, and scoring 5 on 5.

• Kooch7800 says:

That is not a fair stat at all. They dropped JM before the toughest road trip of the season and Cunneyworth hadn’t even had proper practices to instill his playing style which in my opinion was pretty brutal of PG on timing.

Once these season is over evaluate it and we can have a true idea.

Cammy should keep his comments to his management and coaches for the time being not the media. I honestly think he wants out and his ego is bruised cause he got booed.

I would rather have him on my team scoring but if he keeps playing the way he does than see ya.

I have a feeling a lot of changes are coming. When the blew the team up last time they didn’t seem to have so many angry comments

• nunacanadien says:

So far all I see is Cunneyworth playing the same style as Martin minus a few line up changes. You still see offense being penalized. Only Montreal punishes and speaks out against its young rookies for showing initiative and scoring away and outside the playbook.

• dh says:

Whether or not Cammy should have said what he did, how is it acceptable for someone who purports to be a journalist to print something like, “reading between the lines…” If he got the impression that Cammy wanted to be traded, a responsible journalist would have asked him and printed the response.

Of all the AC talking heads, I thought that Gagnon had more integrity than that.

51. smiler2729 says:

From the Not That It Would Happen dept.:

Would you trade Carey Price straight up for Claude Giroux?

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

• Mutt says:

and play whom in goal?!?!

• smiler2729 says:

That would be another matter… Budaj, some UFA, draft one, whatever, would you make the trade?

___________________________________
        Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

• avatar_58 says:

Haha no. All the UFA goalies are terrible and budaj would mean a tank

• Clay says:

…a tank…meaning we get Giroux and the first overall pick? Do it, I say! ;)

__________________________
            ☞ “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau. ☜

• HabFanSince72 says:

There are more good goalies than potential Hart trophy winners.

• Mutt says:

Not a chance, Price is a young franchise goalie and they are tough to come by… as good as Giroux is, and he great, for me you build from the net out.

Ask Giroux’s GM how hard it is to find a reliable goalie.

• nunacanadien says:

Price is wasted in Montreal. Price should be traded if Price wants to win a cup and be known as a real goalie. In Montreal, the team’s losing philosophy of not taking penalties and sitting back on a lead, and basically not playing the 3rd period on top of that, no wonder Price struggles when he does. Price should be traded if only to see Price develop into a real star goalie. Too bad I have to say that. Imagine if we did n’t let a star player develop? That is what we are doing to Price with our style of hockey. Which is not a style of hockey really, this is not the Olympics, nor is it the world juniors, nor the russian league. This is the NHL. We need an NHL playbook. Scrap the one Bob Gainey wrote for God’s Sake! Please! Sure we struggle the first couple of years, but for God’s Sake get rid of Bob Gainey once and for all, start anew with someone like Larry Robinson or Serge Savard…..

• smiler2729 says:

I think Price is amazing too BUT think of how many so-called problems in Montreal would be solved by having Giroux here: the franco media would have their franco superstar and more importantly, the team would have a bonafide number one center.

Replacing Price would be tough but how do you pass up on a player like Giroux?

___________________________________
            Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

• Sal says:

Good question. It’s been said that the biggest coach killer of them all is weak goaltending. Bruins won their tainted SC with that flopper in the nets. How he does it is a mystery to me, but, I will give him credit for never giving up on a puck. No Thomas, no SC for them. However, the Hawks won their cup with what was considered to be less than stellar goaltending, and, the Wings have won several cups with Osgood. He has his detractors also. JM probably lasted as long as he did because of the Halak/Price factor. The Flyers, have had many, many years where the team was considered good enough to win, but, their goalie/s were not up to snuff.

So I guess what I am saying is, it would be tempting, especially a French Canadian, even one from Ontario, playing in Montreal. He would be treated like an icon, a rock star! A guy with his talent can raise the play of the whole team. But, it’s hard to attain and develop a stellar goalie with so much promise like CP, that thrives in an enviornment like MTL. Plus, most goalies get better as they age, and CP, I believe will only improve as he reaches his prime years. He’s a keeper.

Sal from the Hammer

• nunacanadien says:

Bruins won because they knew the forecast and planned for it early. After the lockout like any other NHL team the Bruins stocked up with tough punishing large forwards mixed in with a few smaller talented guys. The crash the net style is what got them the cup. Montreal does not crash the net, cause even though we try, the players we sign are not tough enough.

52. avatar_58 says:

Can the media blow this up any more than it has? What did Cammy say that was so wrong? They ARE losers. They play like losers with a loser mentality. These are facts. Sorry if that upsets the sheep, but your team blows.

The problem is this is coming from Cammalleri, our top paid scorer who is not scoring. His comments about “not forgetting how to play” don’t ring true because he’s not playing very well at all. Ice time has nothing to do with it.

However his comments about his team mates are all correct. Maybe it just pisses off the media to hear it? Get over yourselves, this is not news to anyone who has been paying attention. The 7 goal game was an anomoly against a terrible Winnipeg team. They will be destroyed against Boston.

Also Gagnon is a tool and likes to stir the pot.

53. twilighthours says:

A correction on the Sean Gordon article: Cammalleri’s contract is $30 mil over 5 years for an average $6mil cap hit. His salary will be $7mil in each of the next two seasons ($6 mil this season).

This would appear to mean that only a rich team would be able to take on a real salary greater than a cap hit. Like the Rangers or Flyers, for example.

If Cammalleri returns to his 35-40 goal scoring pace, then $6mil cap hit is just fine for a player like him. Big if.

It’s going to take a leap of faith for a team to pick him up.

—————————————————————–

• Marc10 says:

If the Pens want to make the playoffs… just sayin’

• Jim Edson says:

LA or San Jose may need scoring and might be desperate enough to take a flyer on him!

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

• habs03 says:

San Jose would ask that we take Havlat back (hell no), Cammy in LA didn’t end great, so no way he goes back there.

• Sal says:

True that, Jim. The league is BUSH, and they think we are all idiots!

Sal from the Hammer

• Sal says:

Some day a retired/ fired /career cut short ref, is going to reveal in a book ,how the NHL fixes games, series, etc. Just a matter of time.

Sal from the Hammer

• Jim Edson says:

They don’t need a whistle blower it’s so blatant!

They think everyone outside the NY office is stupid!

———————————————————————-
          What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

• CanadienBoy says:

Florida

54. Thomas Le Fan says:

If I was the G.M. of the Habs, Cammaleri would never wear the uniform again. Gee, maybe he could have been minus four or five with more ice time against St. Louis. Hey squid! Your play deserves less ice time. A bag of pucks would score as often.

• Mutt says:

Why!?!? They’ve won 16 of 42 starts, no matter how you slice it that’s a losing team…. So we hang him for be honest and frustrated.

Maybe he should say “Hey everything is perfect no reason to change this team”, no wait that would make him the GM…

• nunacanadien says:

The habs don’t have a GM. They have the director in charge of marketing the bell centre, Pierre Gauthier, who also has to make sure a rock concert gets top billing instead of some hockey dynasty. The habs don’t have an ownership who thinks hockey. No they are owned by a marketing team who are only worried whether you bought one of their trinkets. They don’t care if the habs win or lose. You think Geoff Molson or Pierre Gauthier care? No they have their priority, the Bell Centre. The habs are just another smaller division in their large money making empire. No wonder we have a tyke like Gomez being overpaid. All you have to do is BS the owners who dont’ care about hockey and you got yourself a big fat contract like Kaberle and others got. As if the habs owners care anymore!

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Maybe he should stfu, suck it up and play harder. Just a thought.

55. edflynn says:

I’m less concerned about Cammalleri’s comments than I am about his numbers. He always speaks in something much more substantial than cliches and he certainly didn’t throw anyone under the bus.

Improve the play and move on.

While he’s not cornerstone material I’m not sure I’d trade him. Though a package of young prospects/picks wouldn’t go astray.

Trading Price as mentioned above shouldn’t happen. He is a cornerstone and a thoroughbred and, at the moment, a difference maker.

56. Every day that passes this looks more like the year to start a rebuild.

57. Habfan10912 says:

1. I miss looking forward to game nights.
    2. Cammy, I don’t really care what you say. Put the puck in the net!
    3. Anybody else not surpriced Gomez has elected to take another game even though the team is short forwards? (I know, I know I am not a Doctor. Just sayin.

• CanadienBoy says:

Cammy could be good trade bait at the right time ,like Kaberle last year and this year as well if we had a GM with balls .Sign the players u want to keep now and dump the rest before the dead line

58. Captain aHab says:

Here’s how I look at it: we’ll have at least a couple of years of bad before we start to turn it around. Personally, I think no player is untouchable. None.

I think the Gomez contract will be the indicator of how long a rebuild will last. If they are unwilling to bury him, we might be in for the long haul. What I don’t want them to do is trade him for another toxic contract. If we are going to keep him, then keep him and ride it out.

They need to try and get as much as they can for Cammy. We need to get rid of a couple of smurfs and he is likely the most tradeable of the lot as someone will think he’ll get his playoff mojo back. Buh-bye! What could we get for him? Late first rounder? Second rounder?

I don’t mind riding out Pleks and Gionta to the end of their contracts.

Right now, with Galchenyuk injured, it looks like it’ll be D-Men who will be the best available players at our pick (even if he had not been injured, we’d likely be looking at d-men anyways). Do we trade that pick to a team looking for a solid d prospect in return for a solid forward prospect? Or do we reach for a lower ranked forward prospect? If Galchenyuk isn’t drafted by the time our pick comes, do we take him even if injured?

Just talking for the sake of talking: what could we get for Price? 1st rounder and a prospect? If we could get that, would you do it?

How about this scenario for shits and giggles?: if we can get a first for Cammy and a first and prospect for Price and we do it, we would then have three first rounders and could use one on Malcolm Subban to eventually replace Price. Anyways, it’s fun to toss ideas around so I’ll like to read yours.

On Cammy, I agree with Gagnon: the best punishment Cunneyworth could give him is to play him 23 minutes against the Bruins.

To me the idea right now is that I don’t want the Habs to take on any more longterm toxic contracts or even non-toxic contracts with aging vets.

• Sal says:

Interesting stuff, Capt. Food for thought. Is this Malcom’s fraft year?
      I think that it’s time to blow it up, but, build around the youth that still looks promising. Who that is could be a moving target. I think management, hopefully not, PG/BG, has to listen to offers for ANYBODY, from ANYBODY. If it’s time for Cammy to go, get the best offer possible. Nothing knee jerk!

Sal from the Hammer

59. Mutt says:

We may not want to hear it but this team, currently, is losing more than it’s winning. The media is up in arms but that is their job, it sells.

However if the team is losing, and attitude is a big part of it, why is it a crime to point it out and maybe change it…

John 18:23 ” “If I said anything wrong, you must prove it. But if I’m speaking the truth, why are you beating me?”

It’s up to the team to PROVE that aren’t loser by, you know, WINNING!!!!!

60. smiler2729 says:

Cammalleri’s right and he’s frustrated and this thing’s been taken out of context cuz it’s Montreal.

Cunneyworth should double shift him.

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

• The Cat says:

RC cant do that, hed undermine his own authority, thats if the comments are true.

• smiler2729 says:

It’d be a “go-out-and-prove-yourself” thing, if Cammy wants better ice time and a more offensive flair then better back it up.

___________________________________
        Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

61. Propwash says:

Ted Bird’s take on the Cammi situation.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

62. --Habs-- says:

Honestly I haven’t watched a game in almost a month and I really don’t care to. I can’t waste my time watching this. Its way too painful. Nothing will really change unless a change is made from the top down. Remember they are the creators of this fiasco and you what them to change it! To what!

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Great read by JT, and I feel the same way, and have for a while now. Why can’t he have the guts to come out say how he is playing, just like Pleks did a couple years back. Take ownership of your own play on the ice.

I posted this yesterday before the article from Gagnon came out. This was in the HIO thread Video After Practice

RiverviewCanadienJANUARY 11, 2012 AT 1:37 PM
      Listening to the Cammalleri interview, the question was directed at his own play and what he would give as a self assessment…that seemed to stump him and he BS’d his way through it.

Maybe it was just me and how I interpreted his response, but does not sound like he is holding himself accountable.

63. otisfxu says:

Cammalleri didn’t last long in LA and Calgary even after good seasons, so me thinks he has worn out his welcome again, maybe even a year too late.

What is it with the Habs organization? – guys go off the rails a year or two afetr they get here, or never get on track at all. Hopefully Cole can stay happy and productive.

Sad part about all this is that it comes back to haunt you when you try to sign players in the future – they want no part of this messed up joint. I smell a firesale in the near future, then back to the”rebuild” stage,,,,,,,,again!!!

64. j2w4habs25 says:

Trade Cammy now!

Carey Price #31

I only post this so people can read the Comment section from the TSN article.

66. HabFanSince72 says:

Remember the 100th anniversary game against Boston? We were on a bad losing streak ( a bit like this year) and the Bruins were top of the league. It looked like a fiasco in the making.

Who came through with the hat trick?

67. vegas says:

when it comes to Ak and Moen they have no choice, if these 2 players are part of the future plan (and I think they should be) they have to make them an offer asap to see where they stand. If they see they can’t move forward then they should be traded away. I think it’s pretty simple

• HabFanSince72 says:

Moen is a journeyman, and easily replaceable. I would not hesitate to trade him at the deadline.

• savethepuck says:

Welcome to Habs Nation. For two seasons everyone bitches that Travis Moen has hands of stone and he’s at best a 4th line player. He’s puts together a 40 game stretch that his point production is nowhere near his career averages, and he’s the new Guy LaFleur.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

68. alestar says:

For sale:

2XL CCM Vintage white Montreal Canadiens #13 Cammalleri…

ugh!

XXIV…and counting

69. Chris says:

Always hard to say how these things are going to go. Gagnon put a fairly negative spin on the comments in his piece, while a similar piece over at the Globe and Mail by Sean Gordon wasn’t quite so damning of Cammalleri.

I hope people remember that while eviscerating Cammalleri today. :)

I’ve never been a fan of Cammalleri’s (how many teams do you see giving up on 25-year olds with a point-per-game?), but I have a feeling this type of thing could easily blow out of proportion very fast.

• G-Man says:

Gag(mewithaspoon)non is a liar. Talking about “tone.” He’s as full of it as someone suffering from constipation.
      IF I were in Habs management, it would be a long time before he’s ever allowed to talk to my players.

• twilighthours says:

He may or may not be a liar, but this doesn’t change what Cammalleri is: a one-dimensional player. He brings nothing more than the big shot. When he’s on, he’s the most dangerous guy in the league. When he’s not, he’s a soft, lazy player that hurts his team.

The question is: do you want to hold on to him in hopes he gets hot?

—————————————————————–

• The Cat says:

Thats because he wasnt there, according to Gagnon, everyone had left except for him and Arpon Basu.

• savethepuck says:

And the Basu article said Cammy was referring to “Winning mentality” and “losing mentality” ( which to me means confidence) and the Gagnon take on it was “playing like losers”. There is a huge difference in the two.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• savethepuck says:

Bob Mackenzie doesn’t seem to think his comments were meant as the La Presse article says either, and I’d respect Mackenzie’s opinion any day before his. This is another AK “the coach doesn’t like me” as far as I’m concerned. This team is always under a microscope and anything said can easily be misconstrued or blown out of proportion.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

Let’s face it, if Gionta is done for the season then so are the Habs. There are only so many blows a bubble team can handle at one time.

I guess this means Leblanc will be called back up and probably play the entire season here. That’s a bit of a concern. I’m in the camp that says you shouldn’t rush rookies. This is MaxPac all over again.

As was discussed yesterday, Geoff Molson must now make a tough choice. Does he trust Mr. Gauthier to sell off the assets (and make key long-term decisions about the future of AK46 and Moen), or does he move to his new man right away so he is able to take advantage of the rebuild timing situtaion.

Second question, who’s the new man who will be entrusted to take the team forward for the next four years?

To quote MB, “what a mess”.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The optimist would point out that teams like NJ and Philly were in a bigger mess than us quite recently.

• HabsFanInTampa says:

Yes HFS72, NJ and Philly were in a bigger mess than us quite recently. BUT, players WANT to play for those teams. Players hesitate to sign and play here in Montreal. It will take much longer to fix, if indeed it will be fixed, the mismanagement we have with our organization.

71. HabFanSince72 says:

There’s just no way to put a positive spin on Cammalleri’s comments is there?

Maybe – maybe – the losing mentality comment can be excused (as in “we have a defeatist mentality ’cause things aren’t going well right now and we have to turn it around”).

But “I didn’t backcheck because of my reduced ice time”? There’s just no way to make that sound good.

Problem is we can probably only trade him for someone else’s problem. Either that or a 2nd round pick.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning 72. Do u thing Cammy is a bad character guy? I never thought so before but maybe there is issues in the locker room and he is one of them. Bad enough that this team is not playing well but now we have to put up with this? Gees.

• Chris says:

Cammalleri did not have a particularly great reputation amongst his teammates in Los Angeles, but I did not hear anything negative about his season in Calgary.

• HabFanSince72 says:

He is who he is. Probably not happy about the season, like most of us.

I believe he could really help a cup contender like San Jose or Vancouver.

One problem is his weirdly structured contract which sees his salary increase relative to the cap. That will make him less appealing to other teams.

• HabsFanInTampa says:

“Also, if we sell him for a pick then we are officially tanking, and I don’t see the Habs doing that. It will mean huge losses in revenue this year.” Not picking on you today HFS72. But I disagree with your “losses in revenue this year” remark. This is Montreal which sells out every preseason and regular season game NO MATTER the product on the ice. “Selling” Cammy for a pick will actually increase the revenue (in the Molson’s coffers) by eliminating Cammy’s salary.

• Habfan10912 says:

Might be tanking anyways. Unintentional Tanking due to Sucking (UTDS)

• HabFanSince72 says:

All of the following will decrease revenue:

Fewer people watching the games on TV which will eventually mean less revenue.

Fewer fans to buy overpriced merchandise.

No playoffs. In the playoffs all revenue is extra. Habs apparently make $3-$5M per playoff game.

• stevieray says:

So how will he respond tonite ? Nothing wrong with a second round pick …if ours scouts do their homework .. and a bonus would be freed up cap $$$$.
      But ..he is a sniper …and these type of players are streaky ..then again maybe his time/skills have passed.
      Gomez in tonite ??

• Chris says:

The backcheck comment was singularly stupid.

• G-Man says:

“I didn’t backcheck because of my reduced ice time.”
      Source, please. Prefererably with sound where Cammy actually says this.

72. RiverviewCanadien says:

But nobody else is coming out and complaining about the way the team is coached. Not the Captain, not any Alternate captains, etc.

Just Cammalleri.

And Jacques Martin is no longer the coach.

73. smiler2729 says:

That’s what I took from it too but then I’m an idiot.

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

74. Clay says:

I agree. And the Montreal media – English and French alike – as usual blow everything WAY out of proportion. They are going to force him out, and in the process remind all upcoming free agents why they don’t want to sign in Montreal…

__________________________

75. Jim Edson says:

You can’t say for sure.

BUT…….

Most of the others are no doubt adhering to the “keep it in the locker room” philosophy!

So much for the much touted “chemistry” on this team, the cracks are now evident. Who’ll be next, Gomez?

76. Jim Edson says:

Subban is on that stuff too!

You might have hit the nail on the head!

———————————————————————-
    What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

77. Habfan10912 says:

Isn’t it Mr. Hankie on South Park that says, “Biosteel is bad, mmmmm OK.”

78. Captain aHab says:

That’s on good days.

79. G-Man says:

80. mdp2011 says:

wow, sorry professor. I should be shot for “improper use of an apostrohe”.

81. Sharks9 says:

Who would want to do that though?

And I think management will try and get him signed before he becomes an RFA, especially because we won’t make the playoffs so they have a ton of time between the end of the season and July 1.

25 before 14

82. nunacanadien says:

Maybe Gomez will score all of his 24 season high goals and rescue us and get us into the playoffs. Good luck doing that under a defensive minded coach and Gainey leading the losing cause of sitting on a lead.

83. nunacanadien says:

Subban and Pleks fighting a few days ago? Geeze, I wonder if they are fighting cause they’ve been told that Molson doesn’t give a rat’s arse anymore. I guess the habs finally learned that they are not a priority for the habs owners. What can you say when Geoff Molson says Gomez is a top 6 forward when none of his stats have ever proven that comment to be true?

84. nunacanadien says:

Excuse me, the media is correct on this one. Geoff Molson is out to lunch so is Pierre Gauthier. Anyone who wastes cap space on Kaberle like PG has done shows they dont’ know hockey. Molson saying Gomez is a top 6 forward, now that is just out to lunch.

85. Yeah, its always nice to have local players.

86. HFX-HabFan says:

Sorry, the same Dale Tallon who failed to send out the fax and cost the Hawks valuable cap space and forced them to deal a third of their Cup-winning roster away?

87. G-Man says:

“Politically correct platitudes intended to perpetuate the continued illusion that all a team needs to do is make the play-offs and then anything can happen.”

Give me a quote, TankMan™, where Molson says any of that. With a source, please. The rest of your post is your daily mantra of TankMania™.

88. ed lopaz says:

in fact, before the season began, Molson was sharply criticized for stating publicly, on the record, that his goal was nothing short of a Stanley Cup contending team.

Now, I don’t know Molson personally.

I have heard him speak publicly about education, leadership, and of course, a little about what it meant to him to own the Habs.

have you ever been in the same room with this guy?

Geoff Molson is one of the biggest Habs fans in this city.

To write, imply, or whatever, that Molson is happy simply making the playoffs, is flat out wrong.

Every year the Habs are trying to build a team to compete for the Cup.

the owner wants the Cup.

the GM and coach want the Cup.

the fans want the Cup.

Period.,

89. TomNickle says:

You really think that Dale Tallon was the actual person resonsible for sending something out via courier or fax?

90. ABHabsfan says:

The same Dale Tallon who has resurrected 2 franchises in the past 6 years. He and Ken Holland are the best GMs in the NHL

91. SmartDog says:

Well… proof that anyone can be traded TO the Montreal Canadiens, but can anyone be traded FROM the Habs. Still a question.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

92. G-Man says:

It was his responsibility. And, yes, Chicago blew up their Cup Winning team.

93. LA Loyalist says:

I haven’t used a fax machine in 10 years. Most professional workflow is via PDF. And Tom is right. Some underling screwed up, and Tallon took the bullet, which, ultimately, he must, just like any leader.

94. Malreg says:

Someone who has been out of the game for almost 20 years, and has never worked with a salary cap before?

No thanks.

95. Captain aHab says:

Can’t wait for Price and Subban to demand trades.

96. krob1000 says:

ummm yeah…40 goals is a sniper…otherwise there may only be about 3 snipers this season….

97. Les Canayens says:

Add an “i” to make it Dale Taillon. Voila!

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

98. Jim Edson says:

From Rouyn Noranda??

Hard to believe he doesn’t

———————————————————————-
    What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

99. LA Loyalist says:

Just to clarify – are we putting you in the “Let’s Tank ™ ” column?

100. powdered toastmann says:

In a heartbeat…But this current management regime would not be interested in what Parros would bring to this team.

101. PureGuava says:

I think Subban has to go. I’m not at all blaming him for the state of the team, but he still has value – if he continues to play here I don’t think that will continue to be the case.

102. CanadienBoy says:

x2 give the C to Georges with A to Cole and Plack and let the young guys plays , may be Cammy the reason for Plack lack of fire

103. G-Man says:

Tanking is for losers.

104. Mickeyy says:

Why would Subban have to go?? This is why the Canadiens are where they are, giving up on young players. He is 22 and in his 2nd year. Give PK some time to develop and improve his game. Pk will be a great defenceman in the future. This season is pretty much over in the sense of making the playoffs but now is a time to let the young players play and gain experience and improve for next year and beyond.

Saku you’ll always be #1

105. mrhabby says:

why would the habs get rid of subban. he has so much potential and is realatively cheap..it just does not make sense.

106. Thomas Le Fan says:

Once again, proving that hockey sense is not necessary in order to post around here.

107. Willy says:

It doesn’t have to make sense around here. Never has and never will.

Which is what the Habs are right now, so seems like a good fit.

109. mb says:

I, for one, never considered tanking as an option, but this year… And maybe tanking is for losers, but in the Habs case, NO tanking would most likely keep them losing for years to come.

110. TomNickle says:

They have television rights for the Senators and Leafs. I’m sure there’s no agenda there at all.

111. dhenry1234 says:

lmao sitting at a computer bitching about other people’s opinions on hockey teams is really manly.

112. mrhabby says:

I heard the writer of the article on the radio this am…he makes very good points on all the issues the organization has..not pretty.

113. petefleet says:

Not because of defensive hockey.

******************************************

***Habs Forever***

114. PureGuava says:

You’re gonna cite ‘hockey sense’ in a post defending Subban??!?!?!

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    - Robert Anton Wilson

115. giants_habs says:

shut up re, ok lets put in our back up! some comments are so stupid.