Backup goalie possibilities for Habs

Goalies Carey Price (left) and Jaroslav Halak in April in Philadelphia. Club-first teammates, now both get a chance to carry their own teams.
Len Redkoles, NHLI via Getty Images

Have a look here for an interesting look at possible backup goaltenders for the Canadiens, now that Jaroslav Halak is a St. Louis Blue. Nice job by

Pat Hickey’s take on the deal. PuckDaddy weighs in.

And make sure you read J.T.’s “obituary” of Halak.

Stubbs column appears below on how Price sees the deal, through the eyes of Gerry Johansson, his Edmonton-based agent:

Price pleased to still be a Canadien: agent

The Gazette

“Think this would be a bad time,” Gerry Johansson was saying,“to tell the Canadiens that Carey has just signed in Russia?”

Goaltender Carey Price’s agent laughed heartily at that one, stopped at a Tim Hortons drive-through in Edmonton for coffee when he answered a call from Montreal.

And of course Johansson was kidding.

The agent called Thursday’s trade of Jaroslav Halak to the St. Louis Blues “a bold move,” one that surprised Price when Johansson reached his client in the afternoon with the news.

“Carey’s happy he’s still in Montreal,” Johansson said. “Like everybody else, he knew something was going to happen one way or another. He said it was 50-50 that he was staying or leaving. He’s pleased that he’s still with the Canadiens.”

The agent was lucky to reach his client at all. Price recently lost his cell phone, and he was on the way out the door in Williams Lake, B.C., to go horseback riding when the family phone rang.

The Halak trade smacked the Montreal goaltending hornet’s nest with a goalie stick. After carrying the Canadiens three rounds deep into this spring’s playoffs, after having hauled them into the postseason with often brilliant play, Halak had won the adoration of this city’s fans whom he generously thanked yesterday in a conference call organized by his new employer.

The deal seems to once more hand to Price the keys to the Canadiens goaltending bus, having been given them with the 2008 trade-deadline swap of veteran Cristobal Huet to Washington.

General manager Pierre Gauthier suggests he might go the free-agent route in a couple of weeks to secure his second goaltender. Curiously, Gauthier never came right out and said on his late-afternoon conference call that Price now is his undisputed No. 1, though that seems apparent.

“I couldn’t imagine a scenario where the Canadiens wouldn’t want Carey as their No. 1 guy now,” Johansson said. “Carey likes Montreal. He’s always liked Montreal. I think everybody’s surprised (at the trade), but no matter what would have happened would have been a bit of a surprise.”

There has been shock expressed that the Canadiens never once talked contract to the Halak camp since the end of the playoffs, or even discussed their plans for the 25-year-old.

But neither has Price’s team been in the loop, short of a brief chat Johansson had at the recent NHL combine with Trevor Timmins, the team’s director of player recruitment and development.

“They’ve always expressed that they really like Carey,” Johansson said of the team’s first draft choice (fifth overall) in 2005. “But we haven’t had any discussion of any sort the last few weeks.

“Frankly, that isn’t unusual. I assumed they were working on something, and that from the end of the season to the draft (next weekend), something was going to shake down.

“I assumed they’d kind of let us know at the appropriate time,” he added, laughing, “so I guess this is letting us know.”

Johansson said he empathizes with the Canadiens’ hockey department, who were dealing with two young goalies who both want to play.

“Management was sitting there, scratching their heads, figuring out what they were going to do, right?” he said. “I’m not sure that talking to me or Halak’s side would have helped them make a decision.

“The most difficult thing would have been bring both goaltenders back – for a lot of different reasons, none the least of which is money. You’d have to be a math wizard to figure how to do that.”

Johansson reminded that Price and Halak have always gotten along as club-first teammates who were caught in a tough spot of No. 1 and 1a, to paraphrase head coach Jacques Martin’s season-long mantra.

But, he said, “any goalie will tell  you they like to have the opportunity to play through any mini slumps. You’re not on your game for a bit and then guess what? It all comes together and you go on a tear.

“With Halak backing up Carey, and Carey backing up Halak, that opportunity is pretty narrow. A goalie needs a little elbow room to have some ups and downs, like every other player on the team.”

Johansson believes that Price handled the end of the season perfectly, unhappy that he wasn’t getting the results his work ethic deserved but “on board 100 per cent, no questions asked, no problem,” when Halak was handed the reins.

Now, the agent awaits a call from Gauthier, or perhaps a meeting next week at the draft in Los Angeles, to begin contract talks.

“We’ve never been in a rush,” Johansson said. “We’ve had to wait for them to get their house in order.

“No extra pressure on Pricer, right?” he added, laughing again. “My new deal with Carey is I’m never coming to Montreal. I can’t take it. But I could hear him smiling on the phone. Good for him.”

1. terrygain says:

Yes I’m serious and like most lawyers I have an excellent memory. This was the best goaltending I’ve seen in my 63 years. Yes, it was even better than Roy in 93. As good as that was.

2. spos080808 says:

Stop making sense. The Habs haters are out in full force and are just spitting nonsense. Not one person on right now has made one logical argument against what the Habs did…It is just “Gainey etc are idiots”. “Halak was great in the playoffs”. “Price sucks”…Etc Etc Etc…Do not bother arguing with these fools. I am done with them as well. But very good point!!

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Because he was? He took bad penalties and when he got shoved around the crease, he shoved back and more than once, helped the other team score because of those scuffles.

You dismiss that someone can’t be right because of an opinion he had about a 3rd-pair defencemen, you’re not coming aross as a rational debater yourself.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. TomNickle says:

I was in a conference today and I got the TSN alert on my cell that the trade had gone down.  I actually burst into laughter thinking about how dramatic this site would be if it didn’t crash due to all the crazies coming out.

Props to the tech fellas for keeping er up and running.

PS Joey, are you wearing a helmet right now, or at least feel like you should be?

5. nightmare_49 says:

080808 – I think he likes a cage on his helmit, he hates visors.

6. spos080808 says:

Really? Bc one half of a season makes him God’s gift to goaltending? Interesting…Is he solid? He sure is. BUt he has NEVER played a full season as a #1, 43 games! 43 games! You know what that number means? It is the most games he has played in a regular season. Let him play 65+ then play in the playoffs before making him a franchise goalie big guy.

7. TomNickle says:

HEY CHUCK.  That’s a great gosh damn avatar.  Awesome work buddy.

If nothing else this trade should weed out some of the bandwagon jumpers who fell in love with Halak and were rooting for the team to lose with Price in net.

8. joeybarrie says:

Last few HOURS??????????  Ive been a Habs fan for 33 years. I have felt like I am in an insane asylum since I was 5 and became smarter than half these posters…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

9. terrygain says:

There’s no point arguing with anyone so out of it that he describes Bouillon as a hothead.

10. habaholic68NJ says:

Thanks for replying to tripleX before I had a chance to.  It never occurred to me that I needed to spoon-feed the details of my post as most posters around here get it.

11. joeybarrie says:

Thanks for making my point… HMMM Isnt Halak’s stats similar to Price’s in 2007-08 when Price led us to be the Eastern Conference Champions????

What makes you think Halak will be as good? What makes you think Price wont be better???

Or do you have that simple mind where you think everything next season will be exactly how it is this season???

Man I hate to see how GREAT our team could be with actual friken SUPPORT from our fans… Cause honestly at the rate we bash our own, we really look pretty stupid.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

12. TomNickle says:

Hey Joey, how’s it going.  I’m guessing that right now you feel like you’ve been trapped in an insane asylum for the last few hours.

That anything close to accurate?

13. spos080808 says:

Really? Look at all the UFA goalies. Look at all the goalies on the trading block…Look at the very minimal amount of teams that need goalies for next season…Look at Halak being arbitration eligible…Look at the dates coming up for RFA contracts and offer sheets etc…Thank you.

14. jimmy shaker says:

R U prepared to handle the price haters this year?  Seeing as your the president of his fan club… might turn out to be a 24/7 job.

I had to give up my presidency of the Jaro fan club now that he’s gone… all I have left is the MAB fan club that is kind of prorogued right now!

I hope carey’s back/shoulders/mental game can withstand the pressure that was just placed on him as of 1600 hours today!

15. Caper says:

Terry. I’ve been around a long time as well. You can’t be serious brother?

16. TomNickle says:

Oh Terrance my boy.  HAHA.  That goalie, you know, the one you just called Joey’s goalie, is YOUR GOALIE too.

That is, he is if you’re a fan of the Habs and not just some fly by night Pierre Mcguire wannabee.

17. terrygain says:

See the posts above yours and get a clue.

18. spos080808 says:

Still being an idiot I see…Only a handful of teams need goalies going into next season…WIth multiple goalie UFA’s as well as goalies on the trading block, the Habs could have been screwed if those teams went with those multiple options available…Keep trying though. All night long buddy all night long.

19. Caper says:

Yipper-great guy with an awesome attitude. he will be good for Price.

20. deuce6 says:

He didn’t wait because there is a window before the draft that RFAs have to be qualified in order to retain negotiating rights..Halak was going to be dealt anyway and it looked as though he was going to use his arbitration rights to get a deal that HE wanted…PG’s hands were tied..

————- Leaf fans shitting on the habs is like a crippled guy saying someone walks funny…

21. spos080808 says:

A big part of it has to do with the fact that there are many UFA goalies out there as well as numerous goalies who are on the trading block. Also not many teams need goalies. You can count on one hand those that were in need. They did not have much time to make a deal. If they waited and those teams instead signed UFA’s or made other trades then the Habs were screwed.

22. Willy the bum says:

5 minutes later…

I tried to be glad about the Halak trade, and hope for the best in Halak and Price, and wish the Habs luck on their next season.

And now I heard the great Larry Robinson being the assistant coach to the Devils because the Habs haven’t made a deal with him…

23. joeybarrie says:

Your right, hopefully he would like me more than any other, and want to hang out…

Since HE IS ON THE ICE, he knows more than to listen to people in here. There in lies the difference between us, and people who actually know what they are talking about.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

24. terrygain says:

If I’m Cammy I’m totally pissed that management just traded our best player. But I keep my mouth shut.

25. terrygain says:

So without Halak we basically should be dead last in the league right? This is pretty much what your saying. Halak singlehandedly put this team on his back and got us in the playoffs and into the Conference Finals.

Pretty well. Check out your goalie’s record. What makes you think he’s going to be better next year?  Are they moving the team  to Trois Rivieres?

26. joeybarrie says:

Jeff Schultz is an RFA on July 1st.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

27. SeriousFan09 says:

To be fair, Schultz has two years on Mcllrath, extra time to grow, fill out and get experience from many more fights. 20-year old versus 18-year old after all.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

28. TomNickle says:

Terrance.  Your wishing for the organization to fail under Price is quite telling about how much of a “FAN” you are.  You aren’t a fortune teller, and you aren’t knowledgeable when it comes to hockey.  Your ignorance when it comes to the direction of this team is only further indication that you are as I said, a fly by night fan who comes and goes with success.

I won’t shove off Terrance.  I’ll continue to support the TEAM and not just one guy on it.

29. Chuck says:

How do you think that Cammy would feel after reading a lot of these posts? He led the playoffs in goal scoring, but some folks would have you believe that Halak was the ONLY reason for their playoff success.

Time to spread the love!

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

30. nightmare_49 says:

Dear PG

What was the rush? Explain why moi PG.

Why couldn’t you have waited to the Entry Draft (what harm would it do) and maybe a better deal may have been available. You did the same thing when you let our 2nd round pick go for Dom Moore,weeks before the deadline. What is the F***in rush. With patience it may be possible to get better veggies in a deal. I don’t understand your thinking.

31. K-hab25 says:

No, but I just watched Shultz beat up the 6’5 guy Boone was wanting us draft. That kid is tough.

32. SeriousFan09 says:

Weak argument to prove a point.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

33. spos080808 says:

Poster Chris Nilan “Ok genius If the market for goalies is firm why did they not get more for him”…

Is this clown serious? This is why you cannot argue with idiots…

Does he not realize that because there are multiple solid goalies on the UFA market and even on the trading block, that means goalies are not in demand in trades because there are multiple options out there…If Halak was one of maybe 2 or 3 solid goalie options out there, teams would have overpaid to make sure they would get one of those 2 of 3 options…

I mean wow just wow.

34. sh00n says:

Well, it seems like your amnesia is catching up with your ignorance, gramps.

35. terrygain says:

A semi intelligent GM would have signed Price before trading Halak.

36. Chuck says:

C’mon, even you must be able to figure this one out.

The cap space we save is on what Halak would be making NEXT SEASON, not this past season.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

37. terrygain says:

I was a Hab fan before you were born, sonny.

38. joeybarrie says:

OK, lets make sure that all you commenters out there calling doomsday on the team, cause we just traded away god, remembers your comments when the season starts again.

What will you say when we do well next season???

God forbid St. louis doesnt make the playoffs. What will you say about Halak then???  Shouldnt he be able to bring them to the Cup SINGLEHANDEDLY and in a year where they dont lose a single game???

You really helped his agent along…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

39. Willy the bum says:

My luck goes to Halak for turning the next chapter on his career, where it starts with the Blues next season.

Then and again, I reminded of his days when he first started with the Habs and I knew he would be the one who leads to better chances in playoff competitions. His seasons – which he was the back-up to Huet and Price – has been the stuff that we couldn’t imagine knowing: saving the Habs’ hides in reaching a playoff spot.

And now, I was deeply surprised and shocked to hear this news today, and at first I am furious. Calmed a few hours later, I try to think positive and find a more optimistic approach to this huge news. The only good thing today is at least I got a day off from work today. The Habs are the Habs, and hope the Halak trade won’t affect their attitudes and work ethics. Only now is that Price is the number one goaltender, the team must know something should be work out, and give full support for each other, especially Price.

My greatest luck to the Habs next season, with most of you same players play with more confidence and pride to wear the CH. And to Pierre Gauthier… I may hate him for this trade…

…but he got balls.

40. deuce6 says:

Marty Biron will be a Hab on July 1st..

41. terrygain says:

After this season anyone who wasn’t  pro Halak is an idiot.

42. joeybarrie says:

Is this supposed to be some sort of proof of something???

I gotta say that MAYBE the guy who scored the most goals in the playoffs might just have had something to do with the best performance of any Canadiens team since 1993. In fact I think the 13 goals he scored goes back longer than 1993…

How about the defense that made sure Ovechkin had his lowest shots on net of any season or playoff series???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

43. RetroMikey says:

I guess I’ll keep my Carey Price Bobblehead and McFarlane figurine still around and not throw them out……not yet.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

44. spos080808 says:

Um you do know there is a salary cap right? And the market for goalies is soft? What!!!!???? Go look at the goalies who are UFA’s right now big guy…God you really are dumb!

45. sh00n says:

Get real.

Obviously, we found someone who wasn’t a fan of the team in 93. Halak playing better than Roy?

46. sh00n says:

Gotta love the ignorant haters!

Go join the St Louis boards if you’re only a fan of one player; we don’t need moronic statements like that here.

47. SeriousFan09 says:

Could’ve, should’ve, would’ve, guaranteed to win a Cup with a better team and coach? You can say that with any NHL Player!

How did I change my opinion, did I ever infer that Halak was better than Roy and this is the worst mistake the team has ever made? No, I’m sticking to what I’ve said all the day, the world hasn’t ended, I’m not a huge of this trade but I also acknowledge this is the goalie market and this is what PG could do in it and that Halak’s salary was probably too tough for the team to swallow.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

48. spos080808 says:

Michael Ryder makes $4 million. What can Boston get for someone who makes so much. Obviously it should be something big since hes making big money right??…That is how foolish your argument is.

49. terrygain says:

Goalies are a dime a dozen in the NHL.

Dumbest comment ever.

50. Eliisa says:

Haha, a slap in a face with a velvet covered hand. Thank-you, I needed that. You know me, I am ALWAYS a Habs fan first and foremost… it just wasn’t that long ago I was filled with ecstasy, wearing my Halak t-shirt jumping around my living room after epic wins over both Washington and Pittsburgh. The memories of those good ol’ days are still fresh in my mind.

Although, I think there might be a saying somewhere about time healing all wounds or something of the like. I will get over the departure of our (scratch that – the Blues) netminder eventually. I am looking forward to seeing what Eller and Schultz can bring to our team and I am also certainly interested in who will be our backup. There isn’t a shortage of selections this season to fill the role.

51. boris420 says:

Is it a big deal if price smokes? I mean didn’t all of our greats used to smoke?

52. habaholic68NJ says:

I would go with Sanford as our backup.  This conserves cap $ and I think he is as good a backup as anyone on the fre market.  This we can see how Desjardin does as a starter for the Dogs.

53. spos080808 says:

Yet again you bring nothing worth noting to the table. Not one argument against the trade, not one…Still waiting…I am sure you can just copy and paste someone though since you are obviously incapable of a rational thought.

54. terrygain says:

Halak played better than Roy in 93 and if we had had a better team and coach he would have won the Cup. We traded him for 2 prospects. Nuts. I see you have completely changed your opinion over the course of the day.

55. spos080808 says:

Really Gill and Gorges had nothing to do with that? Cam scoring at will had nothing to do with that? Great coaching had nothing to do with that? Interesting…And who brought all those other pieces to Montreal? Was it Gainey? Oh it was. Interesting….

And you want to hand Halak 4 mil per for multiple years based on one solid post season run? Really?I guess you would have given Raycroft, Blaine Lacher, Jim Carey $5 mil per season after their rookie seasons too huh.

56. matmacat says:

Interesting fact. Ian Schultz’s brother, Jeff, was first in +/- in the reg. season last year. +50!

57. spos080808 says:

I am just spitting out FACTS unlike you. You have said NOTHING worth noting. At least many of us are using facts and reasonable opinions. You are just being a complete joke! But keep it up Timo.

58. TripleX says:

You are not the first to mention this opening up of cap space? I am mystified?  Halak makes 850,000 a year and Price 2.2 Million and will get a raise.  The Habs need to sign a veteran backup for Price.

Where is this huge cap space that was freed by trading Halak?  How much do the two players coming back to Montreal make?

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

59. terrygain says:

Back up? Price will be our back up. Who is going to be our starter?

60. says:

LOL and the ECF mean nothing I suppose.

Goalies are a dime a dozen in the NHL.

They couldn’t afford to keep Halak, so he had to go.  Why is that so hard for some to understand.

Hockey 101

You just failed!

They Call Me Shane

61. SeriousFan09 says:

Since it has been discussed at least by two different posters and while it’s insanity, I have to address it, it has been suggested this is a worse move than the Roy trade.

Patrick Roy’s record upon leaving Montreal: 2 Conn Smythe trophies with the 1986 and 1993 Canadiens, was 289-175-66 regular
    season, 70-42 in post-season with 3 Cup Finals and 2 Cup wins on his
    record when he left. Three Vezinas, 3 Jennings Trophies, First-Team All-Star 3 times, 2nd-Team All-Star twice, 6 All-Star Game appearances, Calder Cup win in 1985 as well.

You want to run Halak’s record against that and appear rational?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

62. says:

Now that Halak is gone (thank god), what happens if some GM offers Carey 4-5 million lol!

Draft picks here we come.

They Call Me Shane

63. spos080808 says:

I know what is Gainey etc doing…They only won the East regular season a few seasons ago and only went to the ECF this season…They have no idea what they are doing. Jeez get rid of these idiots in management. What are they doing to this franchise…Enough of winning the East regular season title and going to the ECF in recent seasons. Damn them to hell.

64. spos080808 says:

You are just an idiot. I never said I was pro Price or pro Halak…You are just on a mission right now bashing the Habs…I have proved you and other people like you wrong all night long. The only thing you people say is “Price sucks” “Look at Halak in the playoffs”…That is it…Great arguments…How about you look at everything from past history, to recent history, to contract status, to what each will make, age, future projections etc etc…You are just a typical Timo plain and simple!!! You talk out of your ass without ANY facts or resaonable opinions.

65. habaholic68NJ says:

Come on  Eliisa.  Going soft on us?  Remember our discussions?  You knew in your heart that Price was the guy we were going with long-term and that Halak was the guy that made he season exciting.  Now he has opened up some cap space, gotten us a top 6 prospect with size, and a tough grinder with size,  Size does matter, a bit.  Wipe off the tears.  You are a Habs fan first.

66. TheIndian says:

I don’t understand what is the need to bash Halak and compare Price and Halak.  WE all know they are two good goalies.  Halak did amazing for the team and took them far in the playoffs and it was awesome being part of that experience but let’s not forget we were number one in conference not that long ago and Price took us there.  A team needs many elements to succeed but yes you do need someone to step up and this year in playoffs it was Halak, Gill, Georges, Cammillari.  The year we finished first it was line of Kovalev, Plecs and Andrei that was flying and Price didn’t do that alone.  We as a team need to get bigger and not just bigger but better as well.  Looking at Hamilton, we have some good players but they are all small with exception of Pacioretty (who was injured anyways). We do have have players like Engqvist who might be good but even then, we are thin when it comes to talent and size and this Lars kid has done well in his first year in AHL and he will only get better.  We had to choose between two goalies and the management chose Price.  Suck it up and live with it now.

67. Chuck says:

Whoever is on the bench on any given night is the backup.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

68. spos080808 says:

Timo is that you????

69. warriorhockey says:

i like Johan Hedberg

70. ProHabs says:

I’m thinking Ron Tugnutt.

71. Mikey_39 says:

Now that Price is the undisputed number one, there are two things that need to be done.

1)Sign him cheap and long term. I would have rather kept Halak, the guy held a special place in my heart, but the habs made a decision to go with Price and they have to stick with it.

2)Pick a backup goaltender that isn’t necessarily the best available goalie, but the best available mentor for Price.  Someone with great work ethics, team-player, and that can make sure to keep Price’s ego and attitude in line

72. yathehabsrule says:

Ellis is my pick too. He’d probably be willing sign a short-term deal to sit back and take the reigns if Price falters.

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

73. Eliisa says:

The obituary was very nicely done. It actually feels to me like he has died. This is not the news I was expecting to read at noon on H I/O today. It’s a sad, sad day guys. I am only slightly embarrassed to confess a few tears might’ve glimmered in my eyes upon hearing the news.

74. adam76 says:

error in the article – Price was the backup, not Halak.

75. TheIndian says:

I like Ellis too.  He has had good numbers and was out of job not because he played bad but due to awesome play of Pekka Renne…he is 29 but I dont think he will come cheap and if Gauthier already said Price will start as number 1..I would doubt that Ellis would want to sign with us and as for this Toskala crap, I dont even think he will be in NHL next season.  Anaheim clearly mentioned that Toskala wanted to be number one and thats why they didnt sign him so he can say goodbye to NHL.  I would see a guy like Biron or even Mason (I think he was decent in St Louis last year).  You would probably want to sign a goalie who can take over in case Price still needs time to develop…overall I am not disappointed with this trade.  I loved Halak but team comes first and this Lars guy seems to be good.  I have always loved teams like German, Switzerland…small european teams know value of working hard and I am hoping this guy brings that team spirit and hard working attitude…now time to get rid of K brothers

76. CharlieHodgeFan says:

The choice isn’t ours, but whomever they choose, he’d better be able to play a lot of games. I suspect the number one job will be there to be halaked.

77. yathehabsrule says:

The way Gauthier was going on today, it sounds like they’re willing to let Price handle the load of the work.

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

78. g says:

John Davidson on the trade “On moving forard with Halak: “We’re younger in goal, and I think we have a bright future with that position. It’s just about trying to make the St. Louis Blues better for a longer period of time. It’s not disrepsectful we’re just trying to improve.”

On dealing Eller: “It’s tough. Lars was a Blue. We’ve been working to develop him. He’s a good kid, as is Ian Schultz. When you deal for people, you have to give to get. We moved two great kids.”

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

79. avatar_58 says:

We’re having a discussion about potential players and his name is in it?

Wake me up please because this has to be a bad dream. Not a few hours ago we had the hottest goaltender now we’re looking at guys like Toskala.

80. g says:

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

81. SeriousFan09 says:

I like Dan Ellis for the backup job.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

82. yathehabsrule says:

I floated that idea on the weekend :)

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

83. idle says:

I guess Halak was never truly going to be given a chance.  I have nothing against Price but we have been hearing for years about what great potential he has but no one wanted to suggest Halak has potential too.  Halak is young also, only played a noticeable role in parts of 3 seasons and showed signs this year and in the playoffs that he could have what it takes to be a true number one goalie.  I hope this team did not put all of it’s marbles in the wrong marble bag.

Also it would be nice if this team could have a goalie settle in for a few years.  It seems since Roy left (which is starting to become fairly dated) it has been a bit of a parade of 1 and a half to 2 season goalies before they are shipped out and the next year and a halfer comes in.  Would be nice if we could have an identity at this position like this team always seemed to have in it’s rich past.  If that turns out to be Price then great but if it turns out to be Halak only with the Blues then that really would be too bad.

So long Halak.

84. habs03 says:

Now that everyone has calm downed. For those who are saying “we got a bag of pucks for Halak”, you need to follow other teams rather than just the Habs, I can’t say much for Schultz, but for Eller, this guy is going be a special player, he is one of the top prospects playing on a team which ranks top 3 in prospect ranking, if you ask any Blues fan, they are happy that they got Halak, but just as upset letting Eller go who is almost if not NHL ready. His style of play is a lot like Plecks but with more grit and he is a big centre that we have been looking for. I would have loved to get more for Halak, maybe Backes, but that’s the market value, maybe we could have gotten more from Philly or Tampa but I don’t think you trade a goalie like Halak in conference. As for picking between Price and Halak, its tough, because Halak has been better so far but everyone seems to think that Price is going to be a better goalie in the future, and seems like many teams felt like that too, I think it has a lot to due with Price being 6’3 and Halak 5’11 even Pierre McGuire was saying that today on TSN. Anyhow now that the team has made its choice its time for fans to stop picking sides and go back to being Montreal Canadiens fans. Also for a backup I would like Hedberg, Biron, or Nitty, in that order, all being in the league a while and should be cheap but also can step in in-case Price goes into a slump. Whats on my mind now is what do Pleck, I think by trading Halak we save some money and if we can move the Hamrlik contract we’ll have enough money to make a push in for a player like Marleau on July 1st but risk losing Pleck if no one signs or do we sign Plecks now?

85. ProHabs says:

Good post.

The market is not there to trade Halak for a Jordan Staal or Jeff Carter type of player. We might have just acquired one today. This is the type of trade I don’t mind the team making (even though it is sad to see Halak go) but I would rather they get a player with alot of potential then a player like Martin St. Louis who is small and has maybe 2 good years left. THis Eller is big, he is a center and that is what we need. Plus he has alot of potential. Who knows how good he might be.

86. alestar says:

Given that list, I’d say either Biron or Sanford would be the best options.

XXIV…and counting

87. SeriousFan09 says:

When will the war between the illuminati and their splinter group Majestic-12 going to end? Can we get an answer to that as well?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

88. TripleX says:

Compare the secrecy of the Habs to that of Toronto.  They publicly stated that Kaberle was available and were taking offers from all teams up to June 30.  Seems logical and the best way to get a bidding war and MAYBE the best return.

As usual it seems the Habs take the first offer that they get.

89. TheIndian says:

you are starting to annoy the f*ck out of many of us here repeating same thing.  NO.  Gainey is NOt in charge of this team anymore.  He has enough class and had he wanted to still run the team, he would have accepted the habs offer to renew his contract so stop with ur moaning about Gainey still running this team.  Just cuz the fans here decide Halak is worth Carter, doesn’t mean that is what the other GM’s think.  I think we got two young players who will deepen our talent pool in Hamilton (which is week) and Lars is basically NHL ready and I am sure down the line he will be a good player for us.  AS for YOUR so called bidding war. wake up..not many teams need goalie in league right now and getting a first round developed NHL player is a good deal

90. spos080808 says:

Would you just shut up. You have brought nothing to this discussion. You just bash on Gainey etc. It is getting old really fast!

91. dallyd31 says:

Seriously man…seriously.

Spew your poison elsewhere.  It’s just getting ridiculous and exhausting having to see this crap all the time.  Enough.

92. SeriousFan09 says:

Do you have bugs in the Candiens front office? Do you tap their telephone lines, faxes and e-mails? Thought not. Gainey in the past and Gauthier now don’t speak publically in trade terms as to not demonstrate desperation and overplay their hand, better to let their trade partners guess at intentions rather than reveal their hand to everyone.

Toronto has publically announced they’re overloaded at Defence and are desperate for anyone who can score more than 10 goals a year by offering him up. Add in the fact that almost every Leaf that has left in trade in 09-10 was a bust elsewhere… I fail to see him entertaining offers for Bobby Ryan or similar.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

93. TripleX says:

Do you ever consider that the Montreal organization is fallible?  Or do you believe that they are run by some divine right and anything they do is the right way and the only way?

Maybe, just maybe they could learn from other organizations?  Maybe you could refrain from jumping on anyone who dares criticize St. Bob and the Habs?

94. yathehabsrule says:

Usually the best time is right before the draft, but if you take a listen to Gauthier’s conference call, you might have a better idea.

Basically it comes to this: GM’s know what other teams are doing ie:salary wise, and each of them handle things differently. ie: Burke is more agressive and vocal, while Gauthier (Gainey) keep things quiet.

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that the Habs would be moving one or the other, more likely Halak. At least three other teams had made a pitch or kicked the proverbial tires before the Habs pulled the trigger.

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

95. SeriousFan09 says:

I know they’re fallible, the draft record for the last decade in the 1st round speaks to that quite accurately. I also acknowledge that there many ways to entertain offers and make deals in the NHL. Ken Holland, the best GM in the league has made many deals and offers without going big in the media because he didn’t think it was necessary, who knew Lou Lamorello was going to nab Kovalchuk before it went through? Some very successful GMs keep it quiet. Did Dale Tallon endlessly about how he’d make things happen and what was up for sale?

Just raising the point that making noise about trades doesn’t mean you’re going to get a better deal.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

96. spos080808 says:

I know screw Gainey…1st in the East regular season a few years ago and this season an ECF. What the hell is he doing!?!?

97. TripleX says:

One question.  Why the rush?

98. TripleX says:

All are valid points.

99. spos080808 says:

A goalie who has only played 43 games in a season as his max…A goalie who has never been a #1 for a full NHL season. A goalie who nobody has any idea if he can play 65+ games AND then the playoffs…A goalie who for all the good he did in the playoffs was still pulled in each series….So stop making it look like Halak is this franchise goalie when he has done NOTHING to prove otherwise…And you keep leaving out the fact he is going to get a nice payday, one that he has done nothing to deserve…Keep trying tho!

100. TheIndian says:

oh I also remember a MVP goalie not that long ago who was also the best in league and got a HUGE contract to just fail year after year.  I am glad we got to witness some great goaltending by Halak but let’s say he can repeat that next year in a conference that is bigger and badder and where he will get to play lots of minutes.  I wish him best of luck but we have seen many conn smythe winners changing teams before so not end of the world.  You call them minor leaguer I call them prospect.  Seems like you don’t understand what a minor leaguer is.  These guys are 20 year old prospects and one of them you will see in habs uniform next year.

101. spos080808 says:

Based on what? One half of a season. You do forget when Price made the all-star team that 1st half his stats were incredible right? So there ya go. He had one great half of a season as well…But will not be getting $4 mil a season like Halak…Keep trying.

102. spos080808 says:

This is why you sir are a complete idiot…Yes the fans helped Price with the voting but his numbers backed up his selection…

From the beginning of that season up until the end of December Price started 24 games. He only allowed 3 or more goals in 5 of those games!…So yah keep trying buddy. Idiot.

103. dallyd31 says:

Do you have any idea how Lars Eller plays…have you seen him play ?  No ?  Then shut it.  From all accounts of the folks on the Blues board, this guy is great and a sure fire first or second line player next year.  I haven’t seen him play, so, like most intelligent folks, can make an assesment…but the guys on the Blues board sure like him.

104. jkirk says:

Gee, with Price and all of his potential in net, next year we might even make the playoffs, manage to beat the best team in the NHL, the reigning Stanley Cup champions, AND make it to the third round. Now that would be something.

105. 4loorplay says:

I say we just get a 6X5 sheet of 2 inch plywood with a CH on the middle and put that in nets…..

106. doug says:

I’m waking up this am to a worse hangover. Man I’ll miss Halak, and I haven’t had faith in Price from day 1. I’m going to hold on to hope that there is logic and a better goaltender than my eyes have told me. I have not seen any stretch during which I thought Price was consistently very good, and many in which he’s been consistently inconsistent. I’m kind of tired of this Mickey Mouse organization. I hope my words are as off as Gretzky’s in describing the Devils, but I really don’t foresee any joy next year with our cap situation and goaltender. I didn’t see it last year and they put together a wonderful playoff run, but I still think that was a fluke. We’ll see. I do enjoy watching Habs more without the haters on here, though.

107. roughneck says:

Last I checked Halak is not Patrick Roy or Ken Dryden so easy on the emotional over reaction for a guy who won 2 series. He simply does not have the physical size to play 55 games as a #1 and then go FOUR rounds to win a cup. This was also a financial decision and the 1st of more moves to come for sure. I love the double standard with Price and Halak. People talk about Price’s record. Last I checked Halak lost 4 out of 5 and found out you can’t win if your team doesn’t score just like Price found out during the regular season. Support Price going forward he is your future.

108. Mats Naslund says:

It makes NO sense to shop for a UFA backup. Save the money. Call up one of the two AHL goalies. Both have earned their shot. Either one will play for less than $1m. Why waste precious cap space on another team’s throw-aways.

109. Ant says:

I thought the trade was top notch personally.   You Habs Rock!   LOL

110. Kaptain K says:

Why are they looking for backup goalies… we already have Price..