Backup goalie possibilities for Habs

Goalies Carey Price (left) and Jaroslav Halak in April in Philadelphia. Club-first teammates, now both get a chance to carry their own teams.
Len Redkoles, NHLI via Getty Images

Have a look here for an interesting look at possible backup goaltenders for the Canadiens, now that Jaroslav Halak is a St. Louis Blue. Nice job by habsworld.net.

Pat Hickey’s take on the deal. PuckDaddy weighs in.

And make sure you read J.T.’s “obituary” of Halak.

Stubbs column appears below on how Price sees the deal, through the eyes of Gerry Johansson, his Edmonton-based agent:

Price pleased to still be a Canadien: agent

DAVE STUBBS
The Gazette

“Think this would be a bad time,” Gerry Johansson was saying,“to tell the Canadiens that Carey has just signed in Russia?”

Goaltender Carey Price’s agent laughed heartily at that one, stopped at a Tim Hortons drive-through in Edmonton for coffee when he answered a call from Montreal.

And of course Johansson was kidding.

The agent called Thursday’s trade of Jaroslav Halak to the St. Louis Blues “a bold move,” one that surprised Price when Johansson reached his client in the afternoon with the news.

“Carey’s happy he’s still in Montreal,” Johansson said. “Like everybody else, he knew something was going to happen one way or another. He said it was 50-50 that he was staying or leaving. He’s pleased that he’s still with the Canadiens.”

The agent was lucky to reach his client at all. Price recently lost his cell phone, and he was on the way out the door in Williams Lake, B.C., to go horseback riding when the family phone rang.

The Halak trade smacked the Montreal goaltending hornet’s nest with a goalie stick. After carrying the Canadiens three rounds deep into this spring’s playoffs, after having hauled them into the postseason with often brilliant play, Halak had won the adoration of this city’s fans whom he generously thanked yesterday in a conference call organized by his new employer.

The deal seems to once more hand to Price the keys to the Canadiens goaltending bus, having been given them with the 2008 trade-deadline swap of veteran Cristobal Huet to Washington.

General manager Pierre Gauthier suggests he might go the free-agent route in a couple of weeks to secure his second goaltender. Curiously, Gauthier never came right out and said on his late-afternoon conference call that Price now is his undisputed No. 1, though that seems apparent.

“I couldn’t imagine a scenario where the Canadiens wouldn’t want Carey as their No. 1 guy now,” Johansson said. “Carey likes Montreal. He’s always liked Montreal. I think everybody’s surprised (at the trade), but no matter what would have happened would have been a bit of a surprise.”

There has been shock expressed that the Canadiens never once talked contract to the Halak camp since the end of the playoffs, or even discussed their plans for the 25-year-old.

But neither has Price’s team been in the loop, short of a brief chat Johansson had at the recent NHL combine with Trevor Timmins, the team’s director of player recruitment and development.

“They’ve always expressed that they really like Carey,” Johansson said of the team’s first draft choice (fifth overall) in 2005. “But we haven’t had any discussion of any sort the last few weeks.

“Frankly, that isn’t unusual. I assumed they were working on something, and that from the end of the season to the draft (next weekend), something was going to shake down.

“I assumed they’d kind of let us know at the appropriate time,” he added, laughing, “so I guess this is letting us know.”

Johansson said he empathizes with the Canadiens’ hockey department, who were dealing with two young goalies who both want to play.

“Management was sitting there, scratching their heads, figuring out what they were going to do, right?” he said. “I’m not sure that talking to me or Halak’s side would have helped them make a decision.

“The most difficult thing would have been bring both goaltenders back – for a lot of different reasons, none the least of which is money. You’d have to be a math wizard to figure how to do that.”

Johansson reminded that Price and Halak have always gotten along as club-first teammates who were caught in a tough spot of No. 1 and 1a, to paraphrase head coach Jacques Martin’s season-long mantra.

But, he said, “any goalie will tell  you they like to have the opportunity to play through any mini slumps. You’re not on your game for a bit and then guess what? It all comes together and you go on a tear.

“With Halak backing up Carey, and Carey backing up Halak, that opportunity is pretty narrow. A goalie needs a little elbow room to have some ups and downs, like every other player on the team.”

Johansson believes that Price handled the end of the season perfectly, unhappy that he wasn’t getting the results his work ethic deserved but “on board 100 per cent, no questions asked, no problem,” when Halak was handed the reins.

Now, the agent awaits a call from Gauthier, or perhaps a meeting next week at the draft in Los Angeles, to begin contract talks.

“We’ve never been in a rush,” Johansson said. “We’ve had to wait for them to get their house in order.

“No extra pressure on Pricer, right?” he added, laughing again. “My new deal with Carey is I’m never coming to Montreal. I can’t take it. But I could hear him smiling on the phone. Good for him.”

1. SeriousFan09 says:

Could’ve, should’ve, would’ve, guaranteed to win a Cup with a better team and coach? You can say that with any NHL Player!

How did I change my opinion, did I ever infer that Halak was better than Roy and this is the worst mistake the team has ever made? No, I’m sticking to what I’ve said all the day, the world hasn’t ended, I’m not a huge of this trade but I also acknowledge this is the goalie market and this is what PG could do in it and that Halak’s salary was probably too tough for the team to swallow.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

2. spos080808 says:

Michael Ryder makes $4 million. What can Boston get for someone who makes so much. Obviously it should be something big since hes making big money right??…That is how foolish your argument is.

3. terrygain says:

Goalies are a dime a dozen in the NHL.

Dumbest comment ever.

4. Eliisa says:

Haha, a slap in a face with a velvet covered hand. Thank-you, I needed that. You know me, I am ALWAYS a Habs fan first and foremost… it just wasn’t that long ago I was filled with ecstasy, wearing my Halak t-shirt jumping around my living room after epic wins over both Washington and Pittsburgh. The memories of those good ol’ days are still fresh in my mind.

Although, I think there might be a saying somewhere about time healing all wounds or something of the like. I will get over the departure of our (scratch that – the Blues) netminder eventually. I am looking forward to seeing what Eller and Schultz can bring to our team and I am also certainly interested in who will be our backup. There isn’t a shortage of selections this season to fill the role.

5. boris420 says:

Is it a big deal if price smokes? I mean didn’t all of our greats used to smoke?

6. habaholic68NJ says:

I would go with Sanford as our backup.  This conserves cap $ and I think he is as good a backup as anyone on the fre market.  This we can see how Desjardin does as a starter for the Dogs.

7. spos080808 says:

Yet again you bring nothing worth noting to the table. Not one argument against the trade, not one…Still waiting…I am sure you can just copy and paste someone though since you are obviously incapable of a rational thought.

8. terrygain says:

Halak played better than Roy in 93 and if we had had a better team and coach he would have won the Cup. We traded him for 2 prospects. Nuts. I see you have completely changed your opinion over the course of the day.

9. spos080808 says:

Really Gill and Gorges had nothing to do with that? Cam scoring at will had nothing to do with that? Great coaching had nothing to do with that? Interesting…And who brought all those other pieces to Montreal? Was it Gainey? Oh it was. Interesting….

And you want to hand Halak 4 mil per for multiple years based on one solid post season run? Really?I guess you would have given Raycroft, Blaine Lacher, Jim Carey $5 mil per season after their rookie seasons too huh.

10. matmacat says:

Interesting fact. Ian Schultz’s brother, Jeff, was first in +/- in the reg. season last year. +50!

11. spos080808 says:

I am just spitting out FACTS unlike you. You have said NOTHING worth noting. At least many of us are using facts and reasonable opinions. You are just being a complete joke! But keep it up Timo.

12. TripleX says:

You are not the first to mention this opening up of cap space? I am mystified?  Halak makes 850,000 a year and Price 2.2 Million and will get a raise.  The Habs need to sign a veteran backup for Price.

Where is this huge cap space that was freed by trading Halak?  How much do the two players coming back to Montreal make?

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

13. terrygain says:

Back up? Price will be our back up. Who is going to be our starter?

14. sholi2000.com says:

LOL and the ECF mean nothing I suppose.

Goalies are a dime a dozen in the NHL.

They couldn’t afford to keep Halak, so he had to go.  Why is that so hard for some to understand.

Hockey 101

You just failed!

They Call Me Shane

15. Bugs says:

Ummm…

Huh?

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

16. SeriousFan09 says:

Since it has been discussed at least by two different posters and while it’s insanity, I have to address it, it has been suggested this is a worse move than the Roy trade.

Patrick Roy’s record upon leaving Montreal: 2 Conn Smythe trophies with the 1986 and 1993 Canadiens, was 289-175-66 regular
    season, 70-42 in post-season with 3 Cup Finals and 2 Cup wins on his
    record when he left. Three Vezinas, 3 Jennings Trophies, First-Team All-Star 3 times, 2nd-Team All-Star twice, 6 All-Star Game appearances, Calder Cup win in 1985 as well.

You want to run Halak’s record against that and appear rational?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. sholi2000.com says:

Now that Halak is gone (thank god), what happens if some GM offers Carey 4-5 million lol!

Draft picks here we come.

CAREY CAREY CAREY

They Call Me Shane

18. spos080808 says:

I know what is Gainey etc doing…They only won the East regular season a few seasons ago and only went to the ECF this season…They have no idea what they are doing. Jeez get rid of these idiots in management. What are they doing to this franchise…Enough of winning the East regular season title and going to the ECF in recent seasons. Damn them to hell.

19. pointu says:

I thought you had to win three playoff rounds to be eastern conference champs?I seem to remember somebody almost costing the habs the Boston series then crapping the bed against Philly in the second round.They finished first in the conference but not champs.

20. spos080808 says:

You are just an idiot. I never said I was pro Price or pro Halak…You are just on a mission right now bashing the Habs…I have proved you and other people like you wrong all night long. The only thing you people say is “Price sucks” “Look at Halak in the playoffs”…That is it…Great arguments…How about you look at everything from past history, to recent history, to contract status, to what each will make, age, future projections etc etc…You are just a typical Timo plain and simple!!! You talk out of your ass without ANY facts or resaonable opinions.

21. terrygain says:

If you were analytical you would understand that I bold your comments to distinguish them from my own.  Of course if you were analytical you would prefer  Halak to Price.  Does it embarrass you to see your silly comments bolded?

Martin did not play 4 lines. As I pointed out (and you noticed only subsequently)  he double shifted  Cammy. That’s 3 and 2/3 lines plus Cammy. A true 4th line would have played with some pride as a unit.

How did playing Cammy on 2 lines work out ?  It exhausted Cammy and he was less effective on the 2nd line and useless on the 4th line. You erroneously  equate hockey intelligence with time spent at the rink.

22. habaholic68NJ says:

Come on  Eliisa.  Going soft on us?  Remember our discussions?  You knew in your heart that Price was the guy we were going with long-term and that Halak was the guy that made he season exciting.  Now he has opened up some cap space, gotten us a top 6 prospect with size, and a tough grinder with size,  Size does matter, a bit.  Wipe off the tears.  You are a Habs fan first.

23. TheIndian says:

I don’t understand what is the need to bash Halak and compare Price and Halak.  WE all know they are two good goalies.  Halak did amazing for the team and took them far in the playoffs and it was awesome being part of that experience but let’s not forget we were number one in conference not that long ago and Price took us there.  A team needs many elements to succeed but yes you do need someone to step up and this year in playoffs it was Halak, Gill, Georges, Cammillari.  The year we finished first it was line of Kovalev, Plecs and Andrei that was flying and Price didn’t do that alone.  We as a team need to get bigger and not just bigger but better as well.  Looking at Hamilton, we have some good players but they are all small with exception of Pacioretty (who was injured anyways). We do have have players like Engqvist who might be good but even then, we are thin when it comes to talent and size and this Lars kid has done well in his first year in AHL and he will only get better.  We had to choose between two goalies and the management chose Price.  Suck it up and live with it now.

24. Chorske says:

So without Halak we basically should be dead last in the league right?
    This is pretty much what your saying.

Total Straw Man fallacy. Some of us think we could have gotten a better deal for Halak. Some of us would have preferred to trade Price. Neither position means we think that the Habs should be “dead last in the league”.

Straw. Man.

25. SeriousFan09 says:

You’re a really classy guy you know that?

Markov is the true MVP, has been since the lockout and Halak’s greatness one year doesn’t equal what Markov has done in the last half-decade and will do next year as he gives Subban the benefit of his experience.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

26. ari says:

on the positive side,we will watch blue’s games more .

27. Chuck says:

Whoever is on the bench on any given night is the backup.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

28. spos080808 says:

Timo is that you????

29. Chorske says:

I certainly don’t want him to fail. On the contrary: I am praying fervently for everyone concerned that he succeeds mightily. Gauthier has staked his job on it.

30. warriorhockey says:

i like Johan Hedberg

31. ManApart says:

You’re pathetic. Happy about the team losing it’s MVP. The man who showed this city things it hadn’t seen in almost 20 years. You don’t care about the team winning, you just care about trying to build up a sense of self that is in the toilet. Sad.

32. Omit says:

Well, let’s see who the fool is and who knows his hockey because you show a tremendous amount of ignorance about the Habs.

You say that Dryden was an average goalie because of the great D in front of him.  Well, if you checked the Habs’ success before and after he sat out that one year because Pollock wouldn’t agree to his salary demands, you’d see quite a difference. Pollock did and that’s why he came to terms with Dryden.

Now go look in the mirror.  Now that’s a fool!

33. RJB says:

Whats with the hate guys and girls? were all Habs fans here, lets support our team and hope for the best!! GO HABS GO!!

34. ProHabs says:

I’m thinking Ron Tugnutt.

35. Tis Himself says:

Everyone needs good goaltending, even a better balanced team than the Habs. Just ask the Flyers. Give them a decent kicker and they would have won the Cup.

36. terrygain says:

Nobody want’s him to fail. Some of us want what’s best for the team. The Pricebots here like Nickle and Barrie are beside themselves with joy as we  get rid of the goalie who carried us to unexpected heights and in return we get uncertain prospects. Our opinions on how  Price will perform are based on his history rather than wishful thinking.

37. pointu says:

Good thing were not screwed now.

38. Bob Barker says:

Pleks will probably end up leaving via free agency as big money will be thrown at him. Lars Eller could compete for that spot next season. The Habs might have the cap room now to pursue a scoring winger. Nathan Horton is available. He’s good for 25+ goals per year and he makes 4 million. RH-shot and only 25 years old.

39. Mikey_39 says:

Now that Price is the undisputed number one, there are two things that need to be done.

1)Sign him cheap and long term. I would have rather kept Halak, the guy held a special place in my heart, but the habs made a decision to go with Price and they have to stick with it.

2)Pick a backup goaltender that isn’t necessarily the best available goalie, but the best available mentor for Price.  Someone with great work ethics, team-player, and that can make sure to keep Price’s ego and attitude in line

40. Fabio D says:

Agreed. Gainey and Gauthier strike me as the type of men that would go to a car dealership with a price in mind, low ball the salesman, be told “no”, and then give in and take whatever they can to get the car. In this case they gave up a Cadillac to get a couple of Matrixes.

There was an old episode of Married with Children that illustrates the example and sums up how I feel about the trades/signings Gainey and Gauthier have made last and this summer thus far.

Only I’m not laughing as hard as I did to Al Bundy’s predicament.

41. yathehabsrule says:

Ellis is my pick too. He’d probably be willing sign a short-term deal to sit back and take the reigns if Price falters.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

42. Fabio D says:

Do you have a list of these supposed available goalies? With the record that Halak put up last year and in the play-offs?
    Now find one in that league that does not have a no trade clause that would come to Montreal that IS NOT on the down side of his career and asking for multi millions?

Would it kill the Habs to make Halak the moey goalie qualify Price and give Halak a little more work to prove he is the 63+ game type of goalie?

43. terrygain says:

I obviously know more about hockey than someone  who prefers Price to Halak. If Price had been our number one goalie this year we wouldn’t have made the playoffs. What makes you think he’s going to suddenly  be better next year?

Next April champ, or earlier, you buy me dinner at Rolands. In the meantime knock off the trash talk.

44. Max_a_million says:

Do you want a team that needs a lucky hot goaltender to win a series, or a team that can win on merit.  Adding cheap good big young prospects who score and set up scoring gets us closer to being for real every year instead of a one hit wonder.

45. Eliisa says:

The obituary was very nicely done. It actually feels to me like he has died. This is not the news I was expecting to read at noon on H I/O today. It’s a sad, sad day guys. I am only slightly embarrassed to confess a few tears might’ve glimmered in my eyes upon hearing the news.

46. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Bang on!

47. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

“Check out YOUR goalie’s record.”

Your?

I thought you were a Habs fan?! Last time I checked, Price was still a Hab.

Support your team.

48. terrygain says:

I’ve stuck with the Habs through Wickenheiser over Savard, Chelios for Savard, Desjardins and LeClair for Recchi. Roy to Colorado and  the Kostitsyn and Martin  and Martin and O’Byrne/Bergeron  follies.

The question is how you will  react when soft goal Carey implodes and we miss the playoffs next year.  I suspect that your double posting on this thread  is foreshadowing.

49. terrygain says:

He played behind the best team of defencemen in history: Robinson, Savard and Lapointe. Fool.

50. TomNickle says:

How about this.  Terrance’s ability to twist reality into a Peter Pan World only sets him up for a bigger crash down to Earth when things don’t go his way.  Ignoring facts even when they slap him in his face.  Well, Halak got traded Terrance.

Oh.  Do you put things I’ve said in bold because you don’t think I’ll remember?  Or is it just an attempt at giving what you have to say some sort of misguided validation?

It really isn’t like you’re analytical, you not knowing when the 4th line touches the ice when you claim to be watching is a pretty good indication of that.

51. K-hab25 says:

Halak is over 2 years older than Price, how about we revisit who’s the “better” goaltender when Price is 25, like Halak is. I can’t believe how you think Price is washed up at 22. Most players haven’t even made it to the NHL by then, yet Price in your mind is a failure that will never get any better. Time will tell and I’m sure you’ll be there cheering against your supposed favorite team, because after all, terry being right is all that matters, not the team.

52. Laramy87 says:

Eller was drafted last year… There are not too many players who get drafted and step right onto the team. I think its way to early to call Eller a flop

53. TomNickle says:

I think that Eller is very close to NHL ready if not ready now.

I believe that Schultz is a project with excellent pedigree who will need another 2 years to be an NHL regular but by all accounts, he will be one.  The only question is whether it will be in a checking role or a physical top 6 forward role.

Keep in mind that during the 57 point first season that Eller enjoyed on a relatively poor team on North American ice for the first time, he battle mono.  I remember his draft and teams being scared by him being from Denmark and that he was considered to have top 3 skill because of his ability to find people in great areas of the ice at the right time.

I’m not saying it’s a homerun, but it allows the organization to do a lot of other things too.

54. terrygain says:

Shove off Nickle. I was here first. I will remain a Hab fan, despite the stupidity of management and some of my fellow fans.

55. adam76 says:

error in the article – Price was the backup, not Halak.

56. Propwash says:

Oh, btw, to the people that want Price to fail to prove a point, ***k right off. The Habs are a TEAM, not just two goaltenders.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

57. TomNickle says:

I’m glad that you can see my elation.  It actually has nothing to do with who was traded.  It has a lot to do with what we acquired and even more to do with you bandwagon jumpers making a mess of your Depends.

58. TomNickle says:

59. terrygain says:

The Price camp is realistic.

Time out while I clean my screen!

Time will tell but Price’s ability to move the puck is the x-factor

x factor  my ass. Concentrate, play the angles  and stop the puck.  Something Jaro does much better than Carey.

60. TomNickle says:

Oh, and one more thing.  Management doing the exact opposite of what you would do only reassures me more that they’re moving in the right direction.

You know, keeping Martin and Price.

Two huge steps for the franchise that you disapprove of that will ultimately prove to be integral to our team’s success in the future.

61. TheIndian says:

I like Ellis too.  He has had good numbers and was out of job not because he played bad but due to awesome play of Pekka Renne…he is 29 but I dont think he will come cheap and if Gauthier already said Price will start as number 1..I would doubt that Ellis would want to sign with us and as for this Toskala crap, I dont even think he will be in NHL next season.  Anaheim clearly mentioned that Toskala wanted to be number one and thats why they didnt sign him so he can say goodbye to NHL.  I would see a guy like Biron or even Mason (I think he was decent in St Louis last year).  You would probably want to sign a goalie who can take over in case Price still needs time to develop…overall I am not disappointed with this trade.  I loved Halak but team comes first and this Lars guy seems to be good.  I have always loved teams like German, Switzerland…small european teams know value of working hard and I am hoping this guy brings that team spirit and hard working attitude…now time to get rid of K brothers

62. TomNickle says:

Andrei Kostitsyn is next Terrance.  I’m thinking that will be enough to push you from insanity to catatonic.

63. TomNickle says:

Enjoy Missouri

64. Omit says:

Gee, something to look forward to, and coming from a guy who thinks he knows hockey but calls Ken Dryden an average goalie.

65. terrygain says:

So the majority of posters here are trolls? Get a grip.  No one’s squirming fool, but you will be before the end of next season.  And your comment  wasn’t worth a single post let alone a  double.

66. TomNickle says:

And have you managed to keep yourself chemically balanced among the chemically imbalanced today Bugs?

67. TomNickle says:

In all honesty Terry, it has nothing to do with a preference.  It has much more to do with what’s best for the organization going forward.  And keeping a goaltender at an expensive cost who isn’t likely to duplicate the success we enjoyed this season over a goaltender who isn’t anywhere close to his full potential at a cheaper cost isn’t a good business or hockey decision.

I’m sure you disagree but there’s a big difference between the so called Halak and Price camps.  The Price camp is realistic.  You children seem to be of the opinion that Halak is the next Roy.  Time will tell but Price’s ability to move the puck is the x-factor, that and the fact that he responded much better to sitting on the bench than Halak did.

68. Bugs says:

Madness. I don’t want a knee-shakin choker teachin the Priceberg ANYTHING.

Biron for me.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

69. terrygain says:

The Habs gave us a lot of thrills this year. It will be very sad to see the heart torn out of this team next year with soft goals added to bad coaching moves.

70. TomNickle says:

Haha.  He’s been traded, GET OVER IT.

This is fantastic.  Just to watch you trolls squirm is absolutely gorgeous.

Dance for me troll, Dance!

71. TomNickle says:

Haha.  He’s been traded, GET OVER IT.

This is fantastic.  Just to watch you trolls squirm is absolutely gorgeous.

Dance for me troll, Dance!

72. terrygain says:

I had no preference before the start of this year. Those of you who didn’t prefer Jaro at the end of this year are impervious to evidence and annoyingly  brain dead.

73. Caper says:

OH oh. Lawyer? Hmm. the only thing I recall about my divorce lawyer was his ability to remember how to bill me too much.

74. terrygain says:

We are pissed but not going anywhere. I’ll be here all of next year to remind you that I told you so.

75. K-hab25 says:

I’ll give you the experience point, but size wise Mcllrath is already bigger. I really was impressed with both in all honesty, they landed big shots on each other, I just thought Shultz was a little more impressive. How great would it be to have both in the lineup 2/3 years from now?

76. g says:

John Davidson on the trade “On moving forard with Halak: “We’re younger in goal, and I think we have a bright future with that position. It’s just about trying to make the St. Louis Blues better for a longer period of time. It’s not disrepsectful we’re just trying to improve.”

On dealing Eller: “It’s tough. Lars was a Blue. We’ve been working to develop him. He’s a good kid, as is Ian Schultz. When you deal for people, you have to give to get. We moved two great kids.”

from http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/morning-skate/uncategorized/2010/06/john-davidson-comments-on-halak-trade/

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

77. avatar_58 says:

TOSKALA???? TOSKALA???

We’re having a discussion about potential players and his name is in it?

Wake me up please because this has to be a bad dream. Not a few hours ago we had the hottest goaltender now we’re looking at guys like Toskala.

Jesus…

78. g says:

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

79. SeriousFan09 says:

I like Dan Ellis for the backup job.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

80. yathehabsrule says:

I floated that idea on the weekend :)

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

81. idle says:

I guess Halak was never truly going to be given a chance.  I have nothing against Price but we have been hearing for years about what great potential he has but no one wanted to suggest Halak has potential too.  Halak is young also, only played a noticeable role in parts of 3 seasons and showed signs this year and in the playoffs that he could have what it takes to be a true number one goalie.  I hope this team did not put all of it’s marbles in the wrong marble bag.

Also it would be nice if this team could have a goalie settle in for a few years.  It seems since Roy left (which is starting to become fairly dated) it has been a bit of a parade of 1 and a half to 2 season goalies before they are shipped out and the next year and a halfer comes in.  Would be nice if we could have an identity at this position like this team always seemed to have in it’s rich past.  If that turns out to be Price then great but if it turns out to be Halak only with the Blues then that really would be too bad.

So long Halak.

82. habs03 says:

Now that everyone has calm downed. For those who are saying “we got a bag of pucks for Halak”, you need to follow other teams rather than just the Habs, I can’t say much for Schultz, but for Eller, this guy is going be a special player, he is one of the top prospects playing on a team which ranks top 3 in prospect ranking, if you ask any Blues fan, they are happy that they got Halak, but just as upset letting Eller go who is almost if not NHL ready. His style of play is a lot like Plecks but with more grit and he is a big centre that we have been looking for. I would have loved to get more for Halak, maybe Backes, but that’s the market value, maybe we could have gotten more from Philly or Tampa but I don’t think you trade a goalie like Halak in conference. As for picking between Price and Halak, its tough, because Halak has been better so far but everyone seems to think that Price is going to be a better goalie in the future, and seems like many teams felt like that too, I think it has a lot to due with Price being 6’3 and Halak 5’11 even Pierre McGuire was saying that today on TSN. Anyhow now that the team has made its choice its time for fans to stop picking sides and go back to being Montreal Canadiens fans. Also for a backup I would like Hedberg, Biron, or Nitty, in that order, all being in the league a while and should be cheap but also can step in in-case Price goes into a slump. Whats on my mind now is what do Pleck, I think by trading Halak we save some money and if we can move the Hamrlik contract we’ll have enough money to make a push in for a player like Marleau on July 1st but risk losing Pleck if no one signs or do we sign Plecks now?

83. ProHabs says:

Good post.

The market is not there to trade Halak for a Jordan Staal or Jeff Carter type of player. We might have just acquired one today. This is the type of trade I don’t mind the team making (even though it is sad to see Halak go) but I would rather they get a player with alot of potential then a player like Martin St. Louis who is small and has maybe 2 good years left. THis Eller is big, he is a center and that is what we need. Plus he has alot of potential. Who knows how good he might be.

84. yathehabsrule says:

The way Gauthier was going on today, it sounds like they’re willing to let Price handle the load of the work.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

85. CharlieHodgeFan says:

The choice isn’t ours, but whomever they choose, he’d better be able to play a lot of games. I suspect the number one job will be there to be halaked.

86. alestar says:

Given that list, I’d say either Biron or Sanford would be the best options.

XXIV…and counting

87. SeriousFan09 says:

When will the war between the illuminati and their splinter group Majestic-12 going to end? Can we get an answer to that as well?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

88. TripleX says:

Compare the secrecy of the Habs to that of Toronto.  They publicly stated that Kaberle was available and were taking offers from all teams up to June 30.  Seems logical and the best way to get a bidding war and MAYBE the best return.

As usual it seems the Habs take the first offer that they get.

89. TheIndian says:

you are starting to annoy the f*ck out of many of us here repeating same thing.  NO.  Gainey is NOt in charge of this team anymore.  He has enough class and had he wanted to still run the team, he would have accepted the habs offer to renew his contract so stop with ur moaning about Gainey still running this team.  Just cuz the fans here decide Halak is worth Carter, doesn’t mean that is what the other GM’s think.  I think we got two young players who will deepen our talent pool in Hamilton (which is week) and Lars is basically NHL ready and I am sure down the line he will be a good player for us.  AS for YOUR so called bidding war. wake up..not many teams need goalie in league right now and getting a first round developed NHL player is a good deal

90. spos080808 says:

Would you just shut up. You have brought nothing to this discussion. You just bash on Gainey etc. It is getting old really fast!

91. dallyd31 says:

Seriously man…seriously.

Spew your poison elsewhere.  It’s just getting ridiculous and exhausting having to see this crap all the time.  Enough.

92. SeriousFan09 says:

Do you have bugs in the Candiens front office? Do you tap their telephone lines, faxes and e-mails? Thought not. Gainey in the past and Gauthier now don’t speak publically in trade terms as to not demonstrate desperation and overplay their hand, better to let their trade partners guess at intentions rather than reveal their hand to everyone.

Toronto has publically announced they’re overloaded at Defence and are desperate for anyone who can score more than 10 goals a year by offering him up. Add in the fact that almost every Leaf that has left in trade in 09-10 was a bust elsewhere… I fail to see him entertaining offers for Bobby Ryan or similar.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

93. TripleX says:

Do you ever consider that the Montreal organization is fallible?  Or do you believe that they are run by some divine right and anything they do is the right way and the only way?

Maybe, just maybe they could learn from other organizations?  Maybe you could refrain from jumping on anyone who dares criticize St. Bob and the Habs?

94. yathehabsrule says:

Usually the best time is right before the draft, but if you take a listen to Gauthier’s conference call, you might have a better idea.

Basically it comes to this: GM’s know what other teams are doing ie:salary wise, and each of them handle things differently. ie: Burke is more agressive and vocal, while Gauthier (Gainey) keep things quiet.

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that the Habs would be moving one or the other, more likely Halak. At least three other teams had made a pitch or kicked the proverbial tires before the Habs pulled the trigger.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

95. SeriousFan09 says:

I know they’re fallible, the draft record for the last decade in the 1st round speaks to that quite accurately. I also acknowledge that there many ways to entertain offers and make deals in the NHL. Ken Holland, the best GM in the league has made many deals and offers without going big in the media because he didn’t think it was necessary, who knew Lou Lamorello was going to nab Kovalchuk before it went through? Some very successful GMs keep it quiet. Did Dale Tallon endlessly about how he’d make things happen and what was up for sale?

Just raising the point that making noise about trades doesn’t mean you’re going to get a better deal.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

96. spos080808 says:

I know screw Gainey…1st in the East regular season a few years ago and this season an ECF. What the hell is he doing!?!?

97. TripleX says:

One question.  Why the rush?

98. TripleX says:

All are valid points.

99. spos080808 says:

A goalie who has only played 43 games in a season as his max…A goalie who has never been a #1 for a full NHL season. A goalie who nobody has any idea if he can play 65+ games AND then the playoffs…A goalie who for all the good he did in the playoffs was still pulled in each series….So stop making it look like Halak is this franchise goalie when he has done NOTHING to prove otherwise…And you keep leaving out the fact he is going to get a nice payday, one that he has done nothing to deserve…Keep trying tho!

100. TheIndian says:

oh I also remember a MVP goalie not that long ago who was also the best in league and got a HUGE contract to just fail year after year.  I am glad we got to witness some great goaltending by Halak but let’s say he can repeat that next year in a conference that is bigger and badder and where he will get to play lots of minutes.  I wish him best of luck but we have seen many conn smythe winners changing teams before so not end of the world.  You call them minor leaguer I call them prospect.  Seems like you don’t understand what a minor leaguer is.  These guys are 20 year old prospects and one of them you will see in habs uniform next year.

101. spos080808 says:

Based on what? One half of a season. You do forget when Price made the all-star team that 1st half his stats were incredible right? So there ya go. He had one great half of a season as well…But will not be getting $4 mil a season like Halak…Keep trying.

102. spos080808 says:

This is why you sir are a complete idiot…Yes the fans helped Price with the voting but his numbers backed up his selection…

From the beginning of that season up until the end of December Price started 24 games. He only allowed 3 or more goals in 5 of those games!…So yah keep trying buddy. Idiot.

103. dallyd31 says:

Do you have any idea how Lars Eller plays…have you seen him play ?  No ?  Then shut it.  From all accounts of the folks on the Blues board, this guy is great and a sure fire first or second line player next year.  I haven’t seen him play, so, like most intelligent folks, can make an assesment…but the guys on the Blues board sure like him.

104. Mats Naslund says:

It makes NO sense to shop for a UFA backup. Save the money. Call up one of the two AHL goalies. Both have earned their shot. Either one will play for less than $1m. Why waste precious cap space on another team’s throw-aways.

105. Ant says:

I thought the trade was top notch personally.   You Habs Rock!   LOL

106. jkirk says:

Gee, with Price and all of his potential in net, next year we might even make the playoffs, manage to beat the best team in the NHL, the reigning Stanley Cup champions, AND make it to the third round. Now that would be something.

107. 4loorplay says:

I say we just get a 6X5 sheet of 2 inch plywood with a CH on the middle and put that in nets…..

108. doug says:

I’m waking up this am to a worse hangover. Man I’ll miss Halak, and I haven’t had faith in Price from day 1. I’m going to hold on to hope that there is logic and a better goaltender than my eyes have told me. I have not seen any stretch during which I thought Price was consistently very good, and many in which he’s been consistently inconsistent. I’m kind of tired of this Mickey Mouse organization. I hope my words are as off as Gretzky’s in describing the Devils, but I really don’t foresee any joy next year with our cap situation and goaltender. I didn’t see it last year and they put together a wonderful playoff run, but I still think that was a fluke. We’ll see. I do enjoy watching Habs more without the haters on here, though.

109. roughneck says:

Last I checked Halak is not Patrick Roy or Ken Dryden so easy on the emotional over reaction for a guy who won 2 series. He simply does not have the physical size to play 55 games as a #1 and then go FOUR rounds to win a cup. This was also a financial decision and the 1st of more moves to come for sure. I love the double standard with Price and Halak. People talk about Price’s record. Last I checked Halak lost 4 out of 5 and found out you can’t win if your team doesn’t score just like Price found out during the regular season. Support Price going forward he is your future.

110. Kaptain K says:

Why are they looking for backup goalies… we already have Price..