Back to work, with medical updates, audio

5529811

The Canadiens, who had Thanksgiving off, return to practice at the Bell Complex in Brossard.

AUDIO: Travis Moen | Yannick Weber Max Pacioretty | Aaron Palushaj | Jacques Martin (on Travis Moen)

Medical updates:  Jaro Spacek will be out two to three weeks, Michael Cammalleri 10 to 14 days.

Lines at practice: Moen-Plekanec-Cole; Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta; Darche-DD-AK46; Eller-Engqvist-Palushaj. D: Gill-Subban; Gorges-Diaz; Emelin-Weber

Injuries open spot for Weber (photo by Pierre Obendrauf of The Gazette)

• All Cherry/all the time:  Ex-enforcers to sue?; Dowbiggin on Cherry; another take

Canadiens media guide a geek’s dreambook

Pat Hickey on Jets fans

Pierre Ladouceur’s weekly report card

1. The Dude says:

Moen….top line ….really???See,I knew there’s a System? “It’s just like LaFleure said”,’every line’s a fourth line’.omfg!

2. piter says:

Hey fellow Habinites, I understand that we gave back Betts because he was injured. Doesn’t that mean we basically got shafted. He should have never available in the first place, so, what if management would have left open a spot open for Woywitcka, and not put him through waivers? What i’m getting at is we never had a choice, after finding out Betts was injured, to protect Woywitcka and we should have been compensated somehow. What do you guys think? It didn,t have to be Woywitcka, could be any player we put on waivers.

• Bripro says:

It’s part of the CBA.
      The Habs placed Woywitka on waivers at the same time as everyone else.
      They took that risk, so compensation can’t play a part in this.
      As for Betts, if the acquiring team picks up an injured player, they have the right to return said player within a short timeframe. It has to be cleared through Buttmans’ office.

• Chris says:

That’s the chance you take with waiver claims. The Habs were not forced to return Betts.

• G-Man says:

No, the Flyers believed he was healthy, too.
      Protecting Woywitka was never in the cards; he was always bound for Hamilton unless he drugged all the D-men and injured them.

• VJ says:

Exactly. He had to clear waivers to be sent down, which unfortunately didn’t happen and he was taken.

• piter says:

I see, thanks. I remember reading Betts saying he was able to play after Montreal picked him up, and he did play at the start of the preseason, but not their last 3 games. I guess Philly didn’t know(ya, right)and were always going with young guys instead of him. Sounds like he(with Philly’s blessing) was just trying to pull a fast one

3. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

why does moen always get promoted to the top line? lol

JM your whack

4. HabFarmer says:

Hey @bleedhabs81, I’m a Winnipegger, I’m drunk out of my skull and I’m truly diggin’ on your avatar!

“No, I see. The monkey’s out of the bottle now!”

5. Dintrox says:

I can’t believe people are standing up for Cherry and calling Nilan just a goon. Just a reminder knuckles scored 21 goals in the CH one season and that would put him 3rd on last year’s roster. He has always taken ownership for his problems and never blamed the game or his career. (he scored 19 goals another season and for the majority of his habs career he was a + player) as for free speech, cherry is entitled to an opinion but making specific non-truthful allegations about someone’s character is low and may allow for civil action.

• zak says:

I doubt if alot of these posters were alive to see John Ferguson and chris Nilan in action and what they meant to the habs

• G-Man says:

Both were key players- Nilan because he learned with Carbo and Gainey and Fergie because he had the will to do what was necessary as well as score clutch goals. Neither were the classic “goon” that couldn’t play.

• ZepFan2 says:

F-Cherry.

What exactly has he achieved in hockey anyway? Zero, nada, zilcho!

Nilan at least has a Stanley cup ring.

———————————————————————-
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• VJ says:

Agree with everything you said, but it’s unfair to compare Knuckles’ season goal totals to last year’s roster’s totals. Different eras, where everyone had inflated totals due to the style of play (Rob brown + Gary leaman 50 goal scorers? what? REALLY?)

• neumann103 says:

What Cherry said looks actionable. It seems pretty undeniably defamatory and quite possibly slanderous. The whole question of what rights a public figure cedes and how much Cherry’s “journalistic” role affords a protection of the speech are both germane.

I expect Canadian courts would see it as a bit of a nuisance unless the pugilist plaintiffs could show loss of income or opportunity. But if they ever brought suit I would expect the CBC to quietly but quickly settle with a non-apology apology statement of regret and a moderate sized donation to Concussions Anonymous or whatever.

In the UK Sir Knuckles and Lord Grim of the Reaper would have a pretty good case with the libel/slander laws there, but then Liberace won a judgement against a newspaper that implied he was gay…

“Et le but!”

6. Hicktownboy says:

This is how you put these guys in their place!!!

bleedhabs81OCTOBER 11, 2011 4:03 PM AT 4:03 PM
    Coaches put you in a position which will give your team the best chance of winning. Putting players in situations where they are most likely going to fail is not what a good coach does.

60 minutes of Moen on the top line is not the answer. It has been done too many times before. Did you watch last year? Whenever I saw Moen on the top line I benched Pleks in my pools because you know he was not getting a point that night.

HicktownboyOCTOBER 11, 2011 4:16 PM AT 4:16 PM
    Well your little pool is perhaps a kiddy pool then isn’t it.

I suppose we should just bench Pleks too then, since that’s what you would do in your little pool.

Cry me a river, or a tiny useless pool, so I can wipe your dirty little diapers off in.

• Mattyleg says:

Um… correct me if I’m wrong, but did you just re-post your own reply to someone else and give yourself kudos for it?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• bleedhabs81 says:

Really? You thought that was the come-back of the year?

Dude… it was weak. So weak. Personally, I like well thought out comebacks. Maybe one the finishes with a backhanded compliment or one that makes you think.

Something witty and clever, maybe?

Something that could not be conjured up by someone who has yet to learn how to tie their shoes… maybe?

Kiddie pool and dirty diapers… Not really “grade A” comeback, slap in the face material.

I must say, I didn’t really expect anything to clever in the first place. Especially not from one who would copy and paste this with an exclamation “This is how you put these guys in there place (triple exclamation points for good measure)” with the expectation that anyone really cares, aside from myself that is…

• Hicktownboy says:

The jerk store called buddy…..

• bleedhabs81 says:

Seriously… can anyone help this man or child (sorry I haven’t checked how old you were and your posts are kind of leaning towards a person with the IQ of a grade schooler) with a comeback?

Note, I did not call you a grade schooler. I merely indicated that the quality of your posts where in likeness to those I would imagine a grade school child posting. I figured I would explain this so that you wouldn’t jump to more incorrect conclusions.

Where are you from Hicktownboy?

• jo_maka says:

Got nothin to do with either one of you, but since you’re so hell bent on sheathing your butterknife wit in a comeback predicament, I had to chime in.

This blows seven shapes of johnsons

But there will be better days :) shake hands and say good fight !
          _________________________________
          Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• Tharsis says:

man… this is embarrassing on several different levels.

———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

7. Feraco says:

Here are some ideas…

Why not play Palushaj on a scoring line to replace Cammi and give him a chance to play in an offensive role?

How long before we see Desharnais centering Gionta and Pactioretty?

With all due respect to Gomez and Moen.

Molson Ex mon ami

• bel33 says:

Totally agree with Palushaj over Moen in an offensive role.

• It’s because the 1st line isn’t an “offensive” role. The job of the first line on the Canadiens is to play against the best line on the other team, stop them from scoring and if we end up scoring that’s a bonus. The Plekanec line always draws the toughest matchups and putting Palushaj on that line would be guaranteed failure.

• bel33 says:

So in your opinion… the Habs 1st line operates in a different shut down role than say 1st lines of other teams… like Vancouver… or
        Pittsburgh? Just asking… as I do agree they draw the toughest matchups.

• Feraco says:

And thats why I write. Always an insightful and accurate answer!

But to comment on, “The job of the first line on the Canadiens is to play against the best line on the other team, stop them from scoring and if we end up scoring that’s a bonus.”

Who the heck is supposed to score then! (sarcasm)

Molson Ex mon ami

• They’re still supposed to score, don’t get me wrong, but it isn’t the main objective of the line. The way JM’s sytem operates the 2nd and 3rd lines should pick up drastically more goals than they did last year, especially the 2nd line.

• Feraco says:

I never thought that much into the coaching strategy…most teams have a bonofied “scoring line” but your right Pleks line always plays against teams 1st lines while many teams have a “shut down line” and then play their scoring line vs the oppositions 3rd / 4th line. Good example – Vancouver – where match ups are very important.

With Martin pretty much any line can play against other teams top lines (to an extent) creating less goals but more balance…which was his theory on placing Cole on the 3rd line! But Jacques may be outsmarting himself with that move…

Which brings me to Cole…

Cole seems to be a go to the net player but with the type of offence Montreal plays many of the plays start from their zone, not long passes. From my perspective Cole’s style of play is out of sync with Montreal’s. I am hoping all will fall into place as he could be a valuable player!

Molson Ex mon ami

• Cole is a little bit out of sync maybe, but not that much. It always takes a little bit for new players to adjust. The big adjusting right now is from Emelin and Diaz who have less room to make mistakes than Cole does.

The way Vancouver deploys their lines is the old school standard. It’s likely that because of how sheltered the Sedins and Burrows were last year they couldn’t handle Boston matching their top line against them. It would go a long way to explaining why there were so damn useless in the finals. They also didn’t have the most important part of their dedicated checking line in Manny Malhotra, and when they did have him he was very rusty.

• bel33 says:

My point as well. If your top offensive line is built for shut down… you’ve got a problem. Good coaching on home ice with line changes can help free an more offensively skewed line.

Anyhow.. feels like a week till the next game. Go Habs!

• It’s not a problem if you have the depth to have the other lines take advantage of the opponent’s weaker players. Boston employed the same line matching strategy as Montreal with Marchand – Bergeron – Recchi taking the tough assignments last year, and because of that they ate the Sedins alive in the finals.

• likehoy says:

uhh ok.
        do you really mean that the first line’s role is to out possess the puck of the opposing team’s first line.. thus preventing them from scoring due to puck possession and increasing their chances of scoring with larger possession of the puck?

sounds… almost.. logical of a first line.

- Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

• habaddict_andy says:

Never thought of it that way but I think you are absolutely right. Not that I don’t like the idea of Palushaj trying out on the top lines. But it makes sense playing an all around player for offensive and defensive role on the top line.

——————————————————————
        Go! Hockey! Go!

• Bripro says:

Besides, it appears as though Gomez is making a strong case for a strong year. So far, anyhow.
      Can anyone complain about his performance so far this year?
      Maybe it’s time to give him the benefit of the doubt.

8. JohnnyBEast says:

What is the best website to buy a habs hat on? The more variety the better

9. Bripro says:

The Globe and Mail’s “Don Cherry: Just call him the enforcer of free speech” written by Lynne Crosbie.
    You would think, with a name like Crosbie, she would reflect on the individual she’s writing about.
    It’s not about free speech. It’s about respect, and through a medium which my taxes pay for…..
    Too bad, as a shareholder, I’m not allowed to walk into the CBC’s executive offices, look Cherry the buffoon in the face and say:
    You’re fired! Get out!

• dh says:

For me, it’s about explaining to my 14 year old why those guys aren’t pukes because they think fighting is not that good of an idea or suffer from emotional problems or substance addiction.

Most adults know that this guy is a clown.

10. habs11s says:

Posted from TSN.ca comments section

“Guys, Connolly was a stop-gap. Toronto is loaded, who cares? LTIR the guy and free up cap if needed. It was only a 2 year deal, and the way they were playing up until the 3rd period the other night, they didn’t need him anyway. I’m sure when he’s ready to go there will be a few eating crow as I’d rather him get the injury bug over and done with and move on with a healthy season. And if not, they’re fine with Lombardi/Steckel/Kadri(when back)/Grabo for anotehr year. Is this leaf team 45 wins better then last year? Absolutely. Reimer has a whole year in front of him. Watch for a bounce back/shut out performance for him. He’s done it time and time again. and I mean EVERY bad game followed by a great one (easy, since he’s played so few :) ). ”

It’s so delusional it hurts…

____________________________________________________

11. Montreal1993 says:

Soooooooo i finally got tickets to opening night at the bell for a steal! they arnt platinum but in the whites center ice :)

12. habsnyc says:

OK, so now we know how go get Moen from the fourth line to the first line, but how do we get Gomez from the first line to the fourth line?

13. Sean Bonjovi says:

Old-boys-hockey-network-tool Elliotte Friedman chose not to mention anything about Don Cherry in his weekly “30 Thoughts” column.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
    - Sean Bonjovi

• Habitoban says:

A bit harsh, given the noise about a possible law suit.

• LNev says:

I’d rather EF talk about hockey then some spat between former goons.

What do you want him to say anyways?

11. “Some guys are cranky that Don called them names. Look for a lawsuit, and a bunch of media guys to use this as two weeks worth of column material and fodder to try and get him fired.”

• sims says:

Friedman isnt an idiot. u think it would be smart to discuss negative issues about your workplace online for everyone to read? cmon

• Sean Bonjovi says:

You’re making my point. No matter what’s true or reasonable Elliotte Friedman’s first thought is Elliotte Friedman’s career. If repeating the opinion of the hockey establishment is the best career move, he’ll do it, no matter how ridiculous that message is. When it’s time to shut his mouth, then he’ll do that too.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
        - Sean Bonjovi

• avatar_58 says:

Yes let’s bash our workplace.

Friedman is the one good thing at CBC. When he leaves for TSN (watch) that network is in deep trouble.

14. Hicktownboy says:

Anyone want bets on if Moen gets a point again tonight? I’m on, the man is on a mission!!!

• davelecave says:

I will bet you everything I own that Moen won’t get a point tonight.

• bleedhabs81 says:

In your previous post you claim that we Canadiens fans should be more like Winnepeggers. Why is that?

Winnepeggers would cheer if the jets dressed 21 defencemen. They would cheer if they played all 60 minutes with an empty net. They would cheer if the team spent the entire game only skating backwards…. do you know why?

Peggers are like that desperate guy at the bar at 2:30am. He is so desperate for a woman he thinks the really large woman sitting in the corner with wing sauce in her mustache is a great option to take home.

You have been deprived of hockey for too long. Your claiming you need 3 moens is an obvious testament to this fact. Go home, watch all 82 games, then come back and we can talk when your head is in a better place.

No one needs 3 Moens.,,, unless they want a 1st line that only generates 15 pts a year.

• G-Man says:

“Now, if my above theory is incorrect… than your just an idiot…. I hope for your sake your just desperate.”

Name-calling with this kind of grammar is what keeps me coming back. :D

• bleedhabs81 says:

Indeed my grammar is lacking. Your vs You’re. I know the difference, I just always type your.

Same with there and their. Spell check and office have ruined me.

• Hicktownboy says:

I haven’t been deprived of hockey at all and do not nor have I ever lived in Winnipeg.

Sorry but everyone needs 3 Moens, I never said we needed 3 of them on the 1st line, that was your conclusion.

“Now, if my above theory is incorrect… than you’re just an idiot…. I hope for your sake you’re just desperate.”

I’m not sure what that means or why people are so upset to see Travis Moen playing so well???

• bleedhabs81 says:

I am not upset. I love the guy, when he is on the 3rd or 4th line.

I hope he does well. I have seen Moen on the first line a billion times and it never really works out well. He will miss way more chances than he will put in… that is not a 1st line guy. Sorry.

I think people are upset that we have to go through this yet again. It has failed 2 years in a row. Other similar failures:

Begin on the top line
          Tom the Bomb on the top line
          Tie Domi on TSN and on the top line in Toronto… (sorry, I just wanted to say Win, Lose, or Tie)

do you know why? They are not, nor will they ever be, #1 guys.

• Hicktownboy says:

HicktownboyOCTOBER 11, 2011 3:49 PM AT 3:49 PM
        My point is the guys playing great! Lets congratulate him and give him his dues!

He might not even finish the next game on the 1st line, but starting him there shows that he is doing something that the coach wants the other players to also be doing and if they do, they too will be rewarded. That is what coaches do.

• bleedhabs81 says:

• Hicktownboy says:

Well your little pool is perhaps a kiddy pool then isn’t it.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I think you may have missed my point. Yes we should bench Pleks when he is playing with Moen (big sarcastic WTF look on my face).

I bench him (notice the word I) because his line does not score when he is paired with Moen. In a points pool points are important. If I have a choice of another 2nd line center or Pleks, I usually choose Pleks, unless he is with Moen.

Or

When Moen plays, Pleks doesn’t get any assists because Moen does not score. Therefore, this is bad for my points pool (not kiddy pool… I have one of those to and my niece loves it!)

Or

With Moen on the top line, it is better for me to find another center for my points pool because Pleks put up a big 0. Zero points is bad for my pool.

The team should not bench Pleks because he has other tangibles that don’t count in my pool (like pk duty). All clear now?

and I am not sure what your malice is against hockey pools.

15. SmartDog says:

Kevin Weekes’ ranking of NHL goalies at NHL.com:
    #8: Ilya Bryzgalov
    #7: Carey Price
    #6: Henrik Lundqvist
    #5: Roberto Luongo
    #4: Marc-Andre Fleury
    #3: Ryan Miller
    #2: Pekka Rinne
    #1: Tim Thomas

Fleury and Luongo AHEAD of Price? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is one time when Cherry has it right. Right NOW, Price may be the best goalie in hockey. And he’s certainly ahead of those two guys.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HabFab says:

Chris beat you to it…20 posts and counting below!

No, actually didn’t bother to count :)

• Chris says:

Based on career consistency, I would easily put Luongo ahead of Price. Neither guy has done much in the playoffs, and Price only has one great regular season on his resume to Luongo’s half-dozen.

Fleury has a Stanley Cup and had the same numbers as Price did in Price’s awesome season last year. So it isn’t THAT far-fetched to have him ahead of Price based on a larger body of work.

• HabFanSince72 says:

But if you are basing it on career consistency you would put Brodeur number one.

So obviously the ranking is not based on past performance, but is a ranking of who is the best goalie right now. Price is better than Fleury and Luongo right now.

• Hicktownboy says:

• NoTinFoilCups says:

My thoughts exactly before reading below the list! Laughable!

16. nunacanadien says:

Anyone know if Blair Betts would have brought the required toughness we are lacking overall? I mean those yogurt eating sessions in Collingwood mellow all our players out, heck they’d be stressed out driving the potholes of Montreal…..look at what we did to Laraques for God’s Sake, we converted the leagues’ toughest guy into yet another yogurt eating hab! I bet Gauthier has a pink toilet paper at home so he doesn’t have to be stressed out, what with the hard work of signing only the injured players no one wants, that is hard work after all.

• DCos says:

Yawn.

–Whining, sniveling, complaining, negative “fans” annoy me.–

• Chorske says:

Anyone know what nunacanadian is on? Apparently he thinks the Habs converted Laraque to veganism. And here I was thinking that he was cut from the team specifically because he refused to do what the team expected of him, i.e., fight. No no no! Apparently it was the HABS that made him vegan. Maybe we can also blame the Habs for TEKSAVEEEEEEEE!

• twilighthours says:

You should go vegan. More nutrients to the brain might make you smarter.

————————————–
      If you’re sick of not being able to view the HIO comment structure from your iPhone, try downloading Mercury browser. If you have alternative suggestions, please send them along!

• jayvanni says:

Zach Stortini anyone?

…Been placed on waivers by Nashville today. Maybe have him complete the 4th line with White & Moen?

• Stev.R says:

Stortini fights all the time… and he has never once won a fight.

• Kooch7800 says:

he isn’t very good i am afraid.

• jayvanni says:

I guess that explains why Nashville dumped him for McGratton. It would be nice to be able to pick up a heavy-weight for the fourth line that had the skills of a Moen or a White… I’m not a big fan of engqvist. I’d like to see the lines like this when healthy:

Cammy-Pleks-cole
          Patches-Gomez-Gio
          AK46-Eller-DD
          Moen-White-Darche

Markov-Emelin
          Subban-Gill
          Diaz-Gorges

Campoli, Weber as the extra D & pick up a tough guy to replace Engqvist at the 13th forward and to insert into the lineup in the place of Darche when necessary.

I think that if the young guys can perform that this team has the potential to go very far this season. This the deepest lineup we’ve seen in a long time.

• Hicktownboy says:

finally intelligence

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree with you on Enqvist. I am not a huge fan either. He isn’t physical. We are in dire need of a face off guy in which I thought PG addressed with Betts but that obviously didn’t work out with his health.
            As for White, I am worried he isn’t going to be back for a very long time. When your injury update is out Indefinitely that is not a good sign

• LA Loyalist says:

I think it would depend on what flavor yogurt. Chocolate, strawberry or vanilla would be ok, but green tea or pomegranite would be highly suspect.

Does anyone know if they added sprinkles or gummie bears? that would worry me.

• Propwash says:

Hittin’ the sauce a bit early there?

• Duracell3 says:

wtf yogurt?

17. BJ says:

Bournival 10 goals in 7 games. Maybe PG lucked out on the O’Byrne trade?

18. BJ says:

Don’t know if this has been posted. Gallagher scored 3 and assisted on two last night. That makes 7 goals in 4 games. Good start to a season.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

3 goals and 2 assists and he set up the other team’s goal too, don’t short change him.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
      - Sean Bonjovi

19. HabFab says:

The first step in a law suit by Grissom’s Law Firm;

20. C_exacte says:

eller sounds like patches, patches sounds like eller!! thankfully the questions are the same! “are you scared of being hit?” “you look happy to back, tell me every detail about your injury so we have depressing sound bites to corroborate Moen being on our 1st line.”

21. Chris says:

Just saw Kevin Weekes’ ranking of NHL goalies at NHL.com:

#8: Ilya Bryzgalov
    #7: Carey Price
    #6: Henrik Lundqvist
    #5: Roberto Luongo
    #4: Marc-Andre Fleury
    #3: Ryan Miller
    #2: Pekka Rinne
    #1: Tim Thomas

Not too bad…I might re-arrange the bottom 5 a bit (I would have Henrik Lundqvist right there with Ryan Miller at #3), but I think those guys are the consensus top 8 with maybe Jonas Hiller knocking on the door and Jonathan Quick could earn consideration if he can put together another solid season.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I am biased but I would put Carey ahead of Fluery and ahead of Thomas.

Sure, Thomas had a sick season last year… but he also had a lot of rest. Rask played a good chunk of games. I think if Thomas had to start 70 games his numbers would have been worse.

• C_exacte says:

tim thomas?? don’t you mean Tuukka Rask and the mighty 1 & 2 bruins?

• Chorske says:

Do you honestly think the Bruins will have a losing season this year? I hate them as much as the next guy, but really. They are a strong team, with (yes) two strong goaltenders.

• C_exacte says:

I really do think they’ll have a losing year!! #1 every team wants to beat the champs, #2 the sophomore slump or Franzen/Pisani post-playoff factor for Marchand or Seguin, #3 Timmy T at 40 years old (the ripe old age where all goalies have groin and back issues), #4 the concussion trio of Savard, Bergeron & Horton, #5 no more Kaberle, Ryder, Recchi, Colin Campbell, and #6 they replaced those four players with “the next big thing” pou-pou Pouliot. They only chance they have is if Zdeno the giant slap shots and cross-checks every single opposing player (which could happen).

• Chris says:

I’d be shocked if they end up with a losing year and, more importantly, would dread that…they already have a great young core, they do not need ANOTHER high draft pick to build with.

Yes, it is possible that Marchand will take a step back. But Seguin had a very trying first season…there is almost zero chance that a kid that skilled doesn’t improve on his 22 points from last season.

Savard didn’t play most of last season and wasn’t the same player when he did, so his loss is inconsequential.

Ryder and Recchi hurt, no question. But Kampfer looks like a keeper on D, and Seguin’s improvement should mitigate some of the drop-off from Recchi, and a full season with Peverley will help as well.

The Bruins are too deep to miss the playoffs.

• J_P says:

Chris, stop talking so much sense. Especially about the bruins. Completely unacceptable lol

• Arrow77 says:

I’m also biased but the top 4 should be Thomas, Rinne, Lundqvist and Price in whatever order you want. Fleury and Miller are very good but not in the same category as the others and Luongo is lacking the consistency to be anywhere higher than 5. Price, Rinne and Lundqvist do miracles with the team in front of them!

• Chris says:

I’m not sure that Luongo lacks consistency…he’s pretty much money in the bank when it comes to being near the top of every goaltending category each year.

He has had his struggles in the playoffs, but that is pretty much the only knock against his consistency.

I can’t put Price above Miller or Fleury because he has essentially had one superlative year. When he puts up big numbers again this season, and I think he will basd on his form, then he can move up the chart.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Yes but Chris, playoffs are what matter most. If Luongo can’t at least play at his regular-season level in the post-season for his team, what use is he?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• LNev says:

Forgive me if i am wrong, but i think i recall seeing Luongo in the Stanley Cup finals recently.

• Arrow77 says:

@LNev

True, but he was also pulled in Game 4 & 5 and didn’t start Game 6 of Round 1 so that’s really not a case of a goalie proving himself.

• Chris says:

And by that logic, how do we rank Price ahead of anybody? His playoff numbers over his career are not exactly outstanding: 8-15, 2.84 GAA, 0.907 SV%. And that is inflated after his excellent post-season last year.

Price has to show that last year wasn’t a fluke.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I would never rank Price behind Luongo, or Fleury.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• Chorske says:

Agreed. But its interesting that many of the discussions we’ve had re Price’s development could also be applied to Fleury.

• Chris says:

It is an interesting parallel. I think a lot of ire goes Fleury’s way because of that unfortunate gaffe at the World Juniors.

But he’s a great NHL goalie. He put up essentially the same numbers as Price last season. He’s been to the Stanley Cup finals twice, winning a Cup. He was good enough to be chosen as the #3 goaltender for Canada’s Olympic team in 2010, behind Brodeur and Luongo.

He’s taken a while to get where he is, but I would be pefectly at ease with Fleury as the goaltender.

• Kooch7800 says:

Fluery struggled his first couple years cause he was rushed but since then has been a traffic goalie the last 3 seasons

• A lot of ire goes Fleury’s way because he makes a gaffe as bad as that WJC one every 5 games. He probably the best reflex goaltender in history but his positioning is a joke.

• Chris says:

They say that about the #1 guy on the list too.

All he does is stop the puck. :)

I don’t care how you look while doing it, as long as you stop the puck. The greatest goalie of my generation was Dominik Hasek, and his positioning was absolutely wild. But he played the position better for a 5 year stretch than anybody else I’ve ever seen, including Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur.

• The Chicoutimi Cucumber says:

Price is ridiculously underrated (probably because he stung the critics with his growth pains). I would take him over anybody on that list.

• Duracell3 says:

I don’t think Fleury should even be on the list, and I’d take Price over Lundquist any day, and Luongo in the playoffs.

22. Hicktownboy says:

Travis Moen, apparently nothing more than a dismal 4th liner, a grinder a best, steps up with our top goal scorer out and pots a beauty. As a result he is promoted to play with Eric Cole and Pleks in Cammy’s absence for 1 game, likely to get Cole going, and you so called Montreal fans think it’s time to bash Moen’s skill and question his ability to play on the 1st line.

You should watch some real fans in Winnipeg who would be applauding the move and giving some love to someone who stepped up and plugged the hole.

If we had 3 more players like Moen, we would be actual cup contenders and would have the respect of every opposing team in the NHL.

23. HABSIN09 says:

How do I get my geeky hands on a couple of those dreambooks? Sounds like a great Christmas present for my dad. (And me, if anyone wants to know)

24. Say Ash says:

Callahan put us at 49 pro contracts or 50?

25. sims says:

so is markov close to returning or what? time to start looking for another top d-man in my opinion

not signing the hammer was dumb.

• Sharks9 says:

Looking for a top D-man would be stupid. What do we have to trade for one? Are we going to give up our first round pick for a replacement and then have Markov come back in a month?

Hamrlik would be fine for this year, but having him for next year too would just take up a roster spot from a young guy.

25 before 14

• Kooch7800 says:

Hammer even though he is old is clutch during injuries. I think they didn’t resign him cause of Spacek and Gill. We were getting old on the back end. Too bad though I would much rather rammer over Spacho

26. Bugs says:

Put my boy Ebby Calvin Paloosh down for 2pts next game.
    Unnhh!

Back from the Brink’s boasts L. B. Potter, esq.

27. AK_PK_Usay says:

hmm, so far every time AK is on 3rd he ends up vs opposite 1st, how is that good? And gionta can’t finish for his life… Gomez is actually trying

28. jonnyp says:

Moen will be great with Cole !! Two good grinders for the boards to open space for plec !!! Good line in my option!!!

• Hicktownboy says:

Finally someone who knows what they are talking about. This team needs more players like Travis Moen. He provides heart, which Saskatchewan has no lack of.

Wait till he gets to be lined up next to Ryan White for a while and we will finally have the opposition running scared.

29. Neutral says:

I agree with IAN, don’t mess with the lines. now JM should put Palushaji on the 1st line a lot of pressure I know, but give him a real chance to prove he belongs on the big team. here’s the time only two games into the season maybe the answer, couldn’t play along side two better players than pleks and cole. go for it JM worth a try…

30. avatar_58 says:

MOEN????

Look buddy it’s getting very hard to use your ECF miracle run as a defence when you keep demanding he play on the top lines. I would rather see AK46/Cole/whoever switch wings and “deal with it” than ever see Moen anywhere beyond the third line.

They called up Palushaj – even he would do better than Moen. As would Eller (if he’s ready) or DD. ANYONE even in their wrong wing, position, etc would be better.

Anyone who disagrees is out of their mind. Moen is a grinder and those types of guys aren’t top 6 material.

• mike3131 says:

I agree… I thought I’d never see Moen on the top six ever again with the depth we have!

It’s not about the size of the dog in the fight; It’s about the size of the fight in the dog.

• Hicktownboy says:

Moen has more heart and more game and experience than all 3 of these guys combined.

Grinders can be a welcome addition to the top 6. If it’s not for the whole season, and might get Cole hitting like he can.

It’s not all about the points that show on the statistics my friend.

• avatar_58 says:

Up until that goal Moen has been listless and floaty. Are we not watching the same games? He hasn’t done anything meaningful since the miracle run. 2010-2011 Moen was terrible and replaceable.

31. habpunk says:

Moen on the top line?
    here we go again.
    JM must have a man crush for Moen.
    why did we got Cole? put Cole there, not Moen!
    Moen isn’t now or ever will be a top 2 line player.
    learn JM, and then maybe we’ll get better, but not till then!
    MOEN belongs ALWAYS on the 4th line!

• Propwash says:

I guess JM’s mantra is “you produce, you get promoted.”
      Not exactly unfair imho.
      Then again, it’s Martin, he can never do anything right according to some.

• sane hockey fan says:

So it should be be Cole-Pleks-Cole?

• Ian Cobb says:

Cole is top 6 which is right, so let them be. They have chosen to build a good 3rd line this year, so leave it alone and let them develop into a #3 weapon for us. I do not like the way that Martin coaches, but I like this Cunneyworth influence for having a better 3rd line, which we sure have now.

• G-Man says:

Cunneyworth influence? Where? I know you don’t like JM as coach, but to dole out kudos to his underlings means never giving the boss man his due. And that is either being wrong or just willfully blind.

Bowman used to see which players had it going and shortened his bench generally midway through the game. He used to put players together in different combinations all the time. Because of his success, no one questions it. No Cups for Martin = All Criticism All the Time. It’s getting old.

• 1010 says:

I agree Ian: I was just being facetious about sane hockey fans response to habpunks little slip- up regarding his request that Cole be on the number one line.

GO HABS…

• kitbeyer says:

Cunneyworth influence? No offense because I usually enjoy your posts but I don’t think Cunneyworth is in anyway responsible for the Habs finally having enough guys to have a solid top 6 with enough leftovers to have “a better 3rd line.” If JM had attempted to spread the offense over 3 lines at the start of last season that would have made scoring even thinner on all three lines. This year is different with the emergence of DD and Eller and the acquisition of Cole. I think if anyone should get credit it’s JM and maybe BG/PG for acquiring the pieces to allow him the luxury of a “#3 weapon.”

32. sane hockey fan says:

Why does everyone seem to think that LW and RW are interchangeable and any player can line up on either side and it wont affect their game?

33. habaddict_andy says:

I don’t understand the love for Kostitsyn. Yes he has the size and yes he has an amazing shot. He can be a beast out there. I had big hopes for him last year.

Here is a problem with him, 95% of his goals are when he finds an opening and rush towards the net. and that’s about it. A lot of times, when it is time to play strategically and find your proper position in the offensive zone he seems lost and unsure what to do. He does not battle for the puck as much as he should. He makes a lot of lazy moves when he is in his moments of floater plays.

We hear about the management doing the wrong thing. But the management can only do so much. They can’t carry him around the ice. It’s up to him to make an extra mile if he wants to be an elite player. And by the way, considering all aspects a player brings to the game, he is not a better player then Max Pacioretty.

——————————————————————
    Go! Hockey! Go!

• AK_PK_Usay says:

love??? He gets dissed the most. He’s a 0.55 pt guy that hits more than our team and once in a blue moon is a game changer.
      FOR LESS MONEY THAN- Gomez, canny, goings, cole… PS none of these suffer from epileptic attacks…

plus he gets tossed around lines wether he performs or not…

when all think alike, no one is thinking very much

• Chorske says:

Agree, except for the epilepsy part. AK has epilepsy, but does not suffer from epileptic attacks. AKs epilepsy is being managed medically and to my knowledge he hasn’t had a seizure since coming to MTL. In fact I believe he has commented about the high quality of the medical care he has received in Canada and the significant positive effect this has had on his condition.

34. Propwash says:

I say keep Coach’s Corner, but turf Don Cherry.

35. dudurules says:

What’s up with Webber’s stick in that picture?

36. Neutral says:

it would appear JM don’t care much for AK, Cammy goes down and his replacement is moen, what a joke and we wonder why the Habs have a problem scoring. moen scores a good goal in winnipeg so he’s a replacement for Cammy, if Gomez scores a goal like moen’s, he’ll be a replacement for Pleks. my, my, my makes one wonder.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

in the 1st game al making some nice plays and hitting a post got him demoted… Cole misses an empty net and makes some horrible passes… Yet all is well, helps not being russian

when all think alike, no one is thinking very much

37. sauster says:

Weber needs room to grow.
    Moen is just not that type of player. We shouldn’t expect this out of him.
    Cherry sucks, always has, always will.
    Jets fans were great, should teach NHL to move teams from non-market cities to real hockey havens.

TheHockeyRecord.com
    Recalling hockey records daily and taking an in-depth look at what they mean for the game of hockey.

• Ian Cobb says:

I believe that Martin has done the correct thing here.

He is leaving the 2nd and 3rd line alone to continue growing chemistry. When a man goes down from a certain line it makes little seance to change and break up all 4 lines. Leaving the top 3 lines together works best for me. Bring a 4th liner up to fill in for an injury.

Any word on how badly Cammileri was cut?? Sounds like it was above the knee which is good. Unless it cut the side tendens!

• habaddict_andy says:

So far it appears to be 2 weeks, which is good.

Go! Hockey! Go!

• HabFab says:

Ian, according to RDS it was just a surface cut. No muscle or tendon damage.

• samTHEman says:

Very true but since when is Martin consistent with his lines to begin with? The only line that’s been stable is Pac-Gomez-Gio.

What I don’t get is why Cole and AK were interchanged when Cammi was healthy, but then now AK is on the 3rd while Moen is on the 1st with Cammi out. Makes no sense to me. Yes both AK and Cole are LW but so is Cammi.

I have nothing against Moen. He played arguably his best game as a Hab vs the Jets, but surely he can’t consistently play like that for a longer stretch of games.
        ———————————————————-
        It’s P.K. Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

• GrimJim says:

This is the way I see it (from about 1000 miles west and 2000 ft elevation, so take it with a grain of salt). JM builds lines looking for a big body to clear space, a playmaker and a sniper (ie gio-sniper/gomez-playermaker/Max-bigbody or last year’s moen-hitter/eller-playmaker/ak-sniper). So to my view he’s replacing Cammi by putting Cole in the sniper role and Moen in the hitter role. I would bet that JM doesn’t expect Moen to score lots but he does want him to pressure the d on the forecheck, clear space for Cole and Pleks and muck about in front of the net.

38. hirky says:

Everyone is clamouring for AK46 to be 1st line, I wonder given AarPalu shouldn’t be on the 1st line given his chemistry with Pleks last year when they played him there. AK46 seems to be better off facing the 5th/6th pairing of opposing teams. I am not a fan of Moen on the top line either but against the Flames it may work out, it will allow him to hammer around Iggy a bit. I think the Habs will be vague on Cammy’s injury.

Oh well Go Habs Go!

39. habs001 says:

Moen has scored the type of goal we saw on sunday a few times and it gets us excited that he is capable of more than he has shown. but sadly he reverts back to the Moen we know for the next 10-15 games…

40. The Dude says:

Muller “the two coaches I learned the most from were Burns and Demers”. Well don’t that speak volumes about Count Cocula…….be very afraid.

41. JD_ says:

Canadian slander laws are not particularly strong and the available defences are fairly open-ended. Worse, Nilan, Grimson, and Thomson – The Thug Three – would likely face considerable out-of-pocket were this to go to the courts, while Dan Chestnut would likely see his legal costs covered by the Mothership, seein’ as the comments were made while in its employ.

All to say, this kinda uphill battle requires moutaineerin’ equipment.

And the only reason we’re hearin’ about it this mornin’ is not so much Chestnut’s original comments but, rather, the almost stunningly disingenuous manner in which he addressed the resultin’ controversy in his follow-up comments.

My read on it – which is purely a guess – is someone at the CBC implored him to say somethin’ apologetic, he grunted, effectively refused to do so while on the air, thus leavin’ MacLean to both sycophant and self-preserve as he awkwardly tapdanced around the studio. It was a complete, unmitigated cringefest.

Like some really ill-mannered kid bein’ dragged down the street by his momma to apologize for tossin’ a rock through some neighbour’s window, and failin’ miserably to convey any regret.

All to say, I fear the only remedy the offended parties are gonna receive in this whole affair is the opportunity to further embarrass an already well-embarrassed buffoon. And it will come at a steep financial price for them if it goes ahead.

For shame.

Good points JD, thanks for the good read.

• punkster says:

There won’t be any suit. They will be more press, more exposure, more discussion and a window of opportunity for twit Cherry to quite possibly insert his foot further in his festering gob. This and this alone may be the proverbial tipping point that brings the Motherf’inship into the fray.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

42. RGM says:

Neat! http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=3146

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

43. caladin says:

Shanahan a joke? You must be kidding.

44. TINMAN17 says:

So, here in Boston, apparently the sky is falling. Several of my friends who are die-hard B’s fans are beside themselves that “the best team the NHL has ever seen” (I struggle to hold back the laughs each time one of them says this) lost to the the Av’s. When I say ” the season just started, take it easy” (trying not to snicker at them all the while) the response I get is, “You wouldn’t know, you’re a Habs fan!”. This is my reality.
    Please, oh holiest of Fathers, may we destroy the Bruins this year.
    That is all, good day, to you.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• bleedhabs81 says:

You are a good man for not laughing… better than me, that is for sure.

Enjoy the current panic in Boston Tinman, I hope its permanent. Yes this would be a good year to put the Bruins into hibernation mode.

• TINMAN17 says:

Hopefully, the sky falling is an entire season event for them. A week into the season and friggin Marchand is on the TV every time I turn it on. A website that’s popular down here has made a tee shirt for him and every time I’m downtown I see it everywhere. Where is the closest ledge?

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

45. J_P says:

Let me get this straight. Travis Moen scores a slick goal on a breakaway in one game and JM already has him practicing on the first line as an injury replacement for cammy? Havent we seen this failed experiment enough times?

What is JM’s thought process? “Well we lost a guy whos a sniper, and purely an offensive player, and im going to replace him with a grinder whos best suited for 3rd-4th line duty, even though ive tried this in the past and its failed. I do have a very able player on the third line, whos proven he can score more than 20 consistently, but no point in putting him on the lines I look to for offense. That makes sense.”

He’s hands down one of the most puzzling coaches in the history of pro sports.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Maybe, just maybe, this is Moen’s year (snickers…. snickers….) Bwhahaha. Ya, I couldn’t keep a straight face there, sorry.

I agree. We have seen the 1st line Moen show before. He will have good defensive shifts and absolutely bumble two or three sweet plays by pleks… In the end that line will go scoreless more often than not…. can’t wait!

Love Moen, by the way… just not on the first or second line.

• J_P says:

I like moen also. The point of my post was definitely not to rag on moen. In my opinion, as a coach, you want to put your players in a position that plays to their strength, and allows them to succeed. Putting moen in the top 6 definitely doesn’t do any of that. Moen doesnt have the tools to keep up with skill players.

46. HabsoluteFan says:

Lines at practice as per Arpon Basu on twitter :
    Moen-Pleks-Cole
    Gio-Gomez-Pacs
    Darche-DD-Ak46
    Palushaj-Enqvist-Eller

Gill-Subban
    Gorges-Diaz
    Emelin-Weber

47. Kooch7800 says:

Observation – You don’t see many ladies posting on this site anymore. Not that there was ever a lot but there were a few

• Chorske says:

This is hardly surprising, given the number of posters who make comments involving terms like played like a girl, sissy, sisters, go watch figure skating or women’s hockey and so on. Not exactly the friendliest environments. I am always amazed that HIO mods will (quite rightly) come down on comments about race, politics, religion, sexual orientation, use of the horrible word “retard”, and so on…. and yet they will allow comments that might offend women in general, and female athletes in particular.

That said, there are a number of excellent women posting on the site, many of which have been around forever.

• Framlingem says:

Or referring to Sidney Crosby as “Cindy”. Other than that, yes, this. Sexism’s acceptable on the internet for some reason, and that bugs the heck out of me. It’s slightly better here than on Puck Daddy (where, for instance, the news report about female players being useable as avatars in the new NHL game were met with comments about the default player that pretty much amounted to whether or not people would bang her – keep in mind the default was based on a fourteen-year-old), but it’s still really discouraging.

• Chorske says:

Was watching football with Dad the other day- Jets/Patriots- and just before EVERY replay the network would cut to a graphic with cheerleaders bouncing around- like those subliminal messages they used to play in the theaters to get people to buy more popcorn. Don’t get me wrong, I am an avid appreciator of the human female form, and the young women that cheer the Molson section are beauties (my avatar has three of them), but do we really need a flash of booty and boob before EVERY replay? I’ve watched the games with my Dad since the 70s and it seems to me that- barring the occasional cut to the cheerleaders- this wasn’t such a thing back then.

48. rated_R says:

Nice line combo by habs guard

49. Lafrich says:

So, Brendan Shanahan, or should I say BS, decides to suspend PM Bouchard for 2 games because he is responsible for his stick, and the fact that the other player lifted it into his own mouth right as Bouchard swung his stick was irrelevant. Ummmm….Hypocrite? What the hell was that s–t about Campoli moving his head at the last moment then? Double standard perhaps?

• habsguy says:

how about Schenn’s hit on Gomer, far worse have gotten a couple of games this year!!!

• J_P says:

shanahan is already a joke.

Truth of the matter is, supplimental discipline done by an employee of the league, who happens to be a well respected former player, is doomed to fail. There’s loyalties to former playing buddies, and obviously to the leagues agenda. Gary Bettman being the one who handles any appeals is an even bigger joke.

Supplimental discipline should be handled by a third party. It cant just be any old third party because they have to understand the game of hockey. I think the IIHF would be a good candidate to take over supplimental discipline for all leagues. It should also be a 3 person panel, and not just one person making the decisions.

• 1010 says:

I guess you didn’t get the memo. You know, how Shanny is a breath of fresh air. How him explaining his decision makes the whole thing easier to swallow. You must have heard that he may have slipped up by…ohhh, maybe a game on the Malone decision, but other than that he’s done a bang-up job.
      As a I said to a few of his supporters at an earlier love-in: Give this whole Shanny tells it like it is gig a couple more months and the hypocrisy drooling from his month will make you gag.

GO HABS…

50. eric says:

Good hit by O’Byrne on Chara. Don’t think Chara is used to being hit and knocked down.

51. The_Franchise31 says:

I read a stat from last season that said the habs have the best draft% in the league, it was something like over 20% play 100 games. Unfortunately it’s for other teams. So it’s not our drafting it’s our development. And I think detroit was last

• Chris says:

Detroit is absolutely terrible at drafting. Short of 2 miracle home runs in the late rounds (Zetterberg and Datsyuk) and the drafting of 24-year old Johan Franzen in the 4th round of the 2004 draft, the Red Wings have not drafted many notable NHL’ers since the early 1990′s.

And if the Red Wings knew those guys were as good as they are, they sure wouldn’t have waited until the late rounds to draft them. So like the Habs with Halak or Sergei Kostitsyn, sometimes you get lucky with those late round picks.

• eric says:

It must be the coaching that makes them a good team year in and year out.

• Chris says:

Well, they are well-coached.

But having the best player of his generation (Nicklas Lidstrom) plus two of the top-10 players in the league (Datsyuk and Zetterberg) sure didn’t hurt. Take Datsyuk and Zetterberg out of the equation and the Red Wings are the same as the Dallas Stars, a very good team in the 1990′s that won a Stanley Cup or two. Finding those two home runs let them prolong their run at the top far longer than should have been possible…luck of the draft, although they do deserve credit for making the picks.

• CanadienBoy says:

I think more like Martin

52. mdp2011 says:

Please take Pleks off the point on the power play, didn’t work last year and it is not working this year.

Well its good to see that we still have posters focused on players no longer in the Montreal organization. Obviously no other team in the NHL has ever had young prospects which don’t fit their formula ever go play somewhere else in the NHL. I mean isn’t it clear that other teams would never be so foolish. For example Detroit, the current gold standard in the NHL for longterm success despite the new cap world. Ville Leino, Tomas Fleischman, Tomas Kopecky, Mike Knuble these are all players they would never give up. Only Montreal in all the NHL has ever had a prospect go on to play any significant games for other teams in the NHL.

Oh how I wish our lineup was Ribeiro, SK, Gui, Lapierre, Grabovski, Higgins, then we would finally have enough NAG that the Bruins and Flyers would be shaking in their boots.

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t miss any of those players. They are gone for a reason. Sometimes they play better in another organization cause it is a fresh start. Regardless it obviously wasn’t working for them here…

I see Schultz got a goal in the opener this year for the dogs. I have a feeling he is going to show he can play hockey this year like he did in Junior. I know everyone rags on him but I think he is the type of player if he develops properly that we need.

• davelecave says:

If only Pittsburgh had hung on to Dan Carcillo, Matt Moulson, Ryan Whitney and Colby Armstrong maybe they could have won the Cu…. oh wait…

• eric says:

We used to develop players for 4 or 5 years . The flower, the road runner. Big Bird etc. Now PG just trades them because JM doesn’t like them. Webber will probably be next. mWe could sure use OB on the D. D”Agostini 20 goals last year

• ZepFan2 says:

I hope you’re NOT comparing O’B to the Big Bird? Or for that matter D’ags to Lafleur.

They’re not even in the same hemisphere of comparisons.

———————————————————————-
        Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• Chris says:

I don’t mind that we let players go…that is part of the business.

I do very much mind the rate of return on all those high draft picks.

Look at the guys that we’ve drafted in the 1st and 2nd round from 1999-2007 and see what’s left of that haul:

Nothing to show for it:

Buturlin (1999, 39th overall), Carkner (1999, 58th overall), Hainsey (2000, 13th overall), Hossa (2000, 16th overall), Komisarek (2001, 8th overall), Perezhogin (2001, 25th overall), Milroy (2001, 37th overall), Linhart (2002 – 45th overall), Urquhart (2003, 40th overall), Fischer (2006, 20th overall),

Some benefit, but assets are now gone:

Balej (2000, 78th overall) – traded for Kovalev, subsequently lost as UFA
      Latendresse (2005, 45th overall) – traded for Pouliot, later lost as UFA
      Maxwell (2006, 49th overall) – traded with 4th round pick in 2011 draft for Sopel and Dawes, both of which are no longer in NHL

Still with team in some form:

Higgins (2002, 14th overall) – traded with McDonagh + Valentenko for Gomez and Pyatt (later lost as UFA)
      Kostitsyn (2003, 10th overall)
      Lapierre (2003, 61st overall) – traded for 5th round pick in 2012 + Brett Festerling, who was later traded for Drew McIntyre who was lost as UFA
      Chipchura (2004, 18th overall) – traded for 4th round pick in 2011 (Josiah Didier)
      Price (2005, 5th overall)
      Carle (2006, 53rd overall) – traded for Mark Mitera (2006, 19th overall draft pick who blew out his ACL in final NCAA season)
      McDonagh (2007, 12th overall) – traded with Higgins and Valentenko for Gomez + Pyatt
      Pacioretty (2007, 22nd overall)
      Subban (2007, 43rd overall)

So the current haul for the Habs out of 9 NHL drafts comprising 21 1st and 2nd round picks is 5 roster players (Gomez, Pacioretty, Subban, Price and Kostitsyn), two marginal prospects (Mitera and Didier) and one 5th round pick.

That isn’t too bad a haul, but it is one that certainly required the team to seek out roster players via free agency (Cammalleri, Gionta, Cole, Gill, Spacek, Darche, Moen), where you frequently overpay, and the luck of the later rounds of the draft, where the Habs have been somewhat adept at finding players (Plekanec, Halak who became Eller, Desharnais, White, D’Agostini who became Palushaj, etc).

54. smiler2729 says:

Nuthin’ really matters as long as the goalie plays to his abilities (which are top top-notch)… Although it’s nice to have a relaxing 5-1 win, I see a lot of white knuckle 2-1, 3-2 games again.

Anybody miss all that Kovalev, Halak bullsh*t? This team is cool.

“If the Bruins played the Taliban, I’d root for the Taliban”

55. joshua94k says:

Yannick Weber has played well in any role given to him. He just goes in and gets the job done without complaining. He scored a very crucial goal against Winnipeg which probably was the turning point in the game. He has an amazing shot and if he works on his defensive game, he will become a very valuable player.

The Canadiens played a true character game. They never stopped skating and despite losing key personnel, they just continued battling.

Plekanecs led by example. Moen was aggressive and big for us. MaxPac is back and Price is the best.

Yet, even as the Canadiens lose key personnel, as they get pushed closer to the brink, they seem to somehow grow stronger. – Scott Burnside ESPN

• RetroMikey says:

One game is not too be excited about the team and with Weber.
      The guy looks so small playing on D and when the season progresses, our smaller players will not have the stanima to last a full season.
      We played the lowly Winnipeg Jets (AKA Atlanta Thrashers), a very weak team IMO.
      Too soon to get excited, we are going to player bigger, stronger and better teams.
      But hey, kudos for the W, it was expected from us.
      “We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Natrous says:

It’s like deja-vu all over again. I knew that record would stand until it was broken. Weber is a good young prospect with a future ahead of him, no need to be discouraged by his youth. If the world was perfect, it wouldn’t be. Just remember, money isn’t everything – but also remember to make a lot of it before talking such fool nonsense. Forgive me my nonsense as I also forgive the nonsense of those who think they talk sense.

56. Habitoban says:

Benny seems to settling in for the moment: In yesteday’s Bruin loss, “Benoit Pouliot had a Bruins-high five hits. The third-line left wing added three shots in 9:48 of ice time. Pouliot should be in line for a third straight game tomorrow against Carolina.” No points yet.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Yes, because that is exactly the type of stat-line teams were expecting out of a former 4th overall pick. He’s settling in alright.

• LA Loyalist says:

Points come from opportunities, opportunities come from hits.

So why have you got a woody for Pouliot – Jan pronounced like that idiot girl from The Brady Bunch, with about as much hockey sense?

• SmartDog says:

Wow Loyalist, take it easy? Why so rough on Jan?

I’ve said several times Pouliot will work out well and I stand by it. I think Jan’s point is that they seem to be getting him involved at least and that IS the start for a guy with talent.

————————————-
          Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• SeriousFan09 says:

You can’t turn out well in the NHL if you don’t have the confidence and focus, which Pouliot has never shown. Anyone who falls down as often as he does, without reason either has a severe case of vertigo or does not have himself committed to what he’s doing.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• Natrous says:

Thing is, Pouliot started off great for us as well and then seemed to lose interest. It appears that a change of scenery does wonders for fringe players, and they’re working out great after three games for Poupou. I don’t see it lasting for much more than a dozen or so tilts, given that his hitting game has never been a factor throughout the majority of his career.

• WOW, LAL attacking someones hockey sense is like stephen hawking attacking someones ability to walk

• Habitoban says:

Htiting is actually a big part of his game. Benny was no. 3 in hits among Habs skaters last year. And yes, penalties and falling was also part of his game as well. Seems less of an issue this year.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Take it easy Loyalist. No need to resort to petty insults.

When Pouliot was here, I truly thought we had gotten a really talented player for Latendresse. Unfortunately, talent isn’t the problem with Benny. He lacks the drive, intestinal fortitude, confidence and hockey smarts to make the most of his skillset.

He may end up putting it together in Boston, but so far, he seems like the same player he was here.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Well spoken arguements are great. Attacking someone for their POV with insults is childish.

Don’t get me wrong, I love a good insult, but in this case it was unprovoked. Come on Loyalist, you have a kid right? Is this how you would like him to communicate with people?

• ZepFan2 says:

“Jan pronounced like that idiot girl from The Brady Bunch, with about as much hockey sense?”

Now if the tables were turned and Jan came at you like that, you’d whine like a baby.

He’s not impressed with Pouliot, much like you with most of the Habs. What’s the problem?

———————————————————————-
          Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• punkster says:

WTF? Go back to bed and sleep it off.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

57. habs03 says:

I’m hoping for this line-up
    A.kost-Pleck-Cole
    Patches-Gomez-Gio
    DD-Eller-Pulashaj
    Moen-Engqvist-Darche

Gill-Subban
    Gorges-Diaz
    Emelin-Weber

58. slychard says:

I read the espn link on Calvillo and found it to be an excellent read. Thanx Haligonian-hab!

59. RetroMikey says:

Go to any NHL team site and it will say…..”We are happy to be able to provide that media guide in PDF format for fans and media to download. Please follow this link”

But not our Montreal Canadiens, they want you to suck up the $20.00 or price higher to get a hard copy.

Not fair I say! But those Sabres have a really nice one to share for all fans of hockey on their site to download in PDF format.

Just wish this organization of ours would cater to our fans and give something free for once and not be greedy. Hard copies are a thing of the past and electronic or CD copies will be the new trend. Look what the organization is giving for an option if you subscribe to their Canadiens magazine, hard copy or electronic one.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Chuck says:

Mikey, does ANYTHING about this team keep you from complaining?

• joshua94k says:

The Canadiens magazine subscription is a great deal at $25 for 7 issues delivered to your doorstep. That comes to about $3.50 an issue with some glossy posters included. Last season they also sent the special edition Heritage Classic issue for FREE.

60. wd40 says:

Does anyone know if the Canadiens Media Guide is available for sale?

• RetroMikey says:

Save your money, the media guide has not changed at all over the years, same format over and over. Not many colour pictures compared to other NHL teams that produce their media guide.
      To be honest, Chicago and Boston make the best media guide out there in terms of quality and tons of colour pictures.
      Best to wait until some media guy downloads the PDF format on a torrent site with other NHL teams for all of us to share.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

61. BJ says:

Montreal Canadiens greatest weakness; close second being drafting, is the teams inability to develop talent. We are so weak in this department that we end up “buying” players such as Gomez, Gionta, Cammi etc. and paying the big price. And whatever potential some young players have Sergei Kostitsyn, Grabovski, Latendresse (jury still out on him once he’s injury free), O’Byrne and Ribeiro to mention a few, we seem to give up and trade away for virtually nothing. So unless its an exceptional talent such as PK, it doesn’t seem to be apparent to management what value a player has. I think we seem to have done the same with coaches.

• G-Man says:

Yup, like Plekanec, MaxPac, Weber, White, Price, Halak and Markov, to name a few.
      The Habs can and do develop young players who buy into a strong work ethic with responsibilities to teammates. The only one moved that had the work ethic was Halak, and only because of the need for a #1 goalie.
      If the coaches are so poor, why do other teams snap them up?

• habsgod says:

don’t forget gallagher,beaulieu,tinordi,avtsin,leblanc,kristo

• Chris says:

You can’t include those guys, as not one of them has proven they will make it as an NHL player. And the odds are that 1, maybe 2, of them will actually do so, while the rest will be journeymen at best.

• Sharks9 says:

I’d say at least 3 will be good NHLers. There are 3 1st round picks plus 1 of the other 3 guys could make it.

25 before 14

• Chris says:

Sharks: I hope you’re right. But history is not kind to the Habs when drafting in the second half of the first round, nor to many teams for that matter. Once you get outside the top 10, it really does become a bit of a crap-shoot in most drafts. There are some, like the 2003 draft, that were insanely deep with quality players. But most drafts are not so fortunate.

Looking at the Habs drafts since 2008, not one of their picks has played an NHL game yet.

Kristo (2008, 2nd round) is developing in the NCAA, and still has a year or two of the AHL to go before he makes the jump.

Leblanc (2009, 1st round) is forecast by many as a Chris Higgins-esque third liner with potential for the second line. That kind of ceiling usually comes with significant risk. He seems like a bright, grounded kid, so I do think he’ll make it. But he may not be an impact player when he does.

Tinordi (2010, 1st round) is still years away from the NHL. He was drafted as a project, and struggled for most of his first season in the OHL. He should benefit from a strong London Knights team this season, so hopefully he makes a big leap forward in his development.

Beaulieu (2011, 1st round) is a promising offensive defenceman, but is at least 2-3 years away from the NHL. I haven’t seen enough of him yet to say whether he’ll make it, but he certainly impressed my friends who saw him at the Memorial Cup last season.

Gallagher and Avtsin are projects. Gallagher is going to have to show that he can get it done against bigger, stronger and faster players in the AHL and NHL than those that he is terrorizing in the WHL. It is a huge leap forward. Avtsin has struggled mightily since coming over, but there is a lot of potential there.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I doubt the Knights would make Tinordi their captain if they weren’t confident of his ability to step forward this season and deliver.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• Chris says:

Robert: Being a captain in the OHL is a nice thing, but basically irrelevant when it comes to NHL development.

I direct your attention to Martin St. Pierre, former captain of the Guelph Storm the year they beat Corey Perry’s Knights in the OHL
            playoffs on the way to a Memorial Cup berth. Tinordi has always been a leader…now he’s got to show that he’s a player too.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Yes but he was an offensive forward with sterling points totals in the OHL towards the end of his junior career. Tinordi is a pure defensive defencemen, giving that kind of player the C shows a great deal of confidence by the team that he will be able to effectively lead without struggling in the defensive end and damage his effectiveness to rally his teammates if they’re cleaning up after his mistakes.

If they were worried he wouldn’t be able to play a leading and dominant role on defence, he wouldn’t be wearing that letter.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• Chris says:

Good point. Let’s use my old friend Ryan Parent as an example instead.

Ryan Parent was an elite shutdown defenceman in the OHL and captained the Storm, earning two 2nd team All-Star nods in the OHL despite being a pure defensive defenceman. He played for two gold-medal winning World Juniors teams, and was drafted 18th overall by Nashville in 2005.

He was regarded highly enough to be one of the players in the Peter Forsberg trade, and was also the player involved in the Dam Hamhuis trade.

Partially due to injuries, he has never made it. Not saying that Parent’s lack of success will have anything to do with Tinordi. Just that Tinordi has a long development curve ahead of him before he makes the NHL, let alone becomes a good, impact player.

• Habitoba says:

Streit, Hainsey, Lapierre, Koivu, Komisarek, D’Agostini, Garon, Theodore…

• BJ says:

Plekanec, Price, Markov, Max Pac yes. Weber, White we’ll see. Halak traded, will Eller be adequate compensation, we’ll see. Point being is that its still despite a few names you mentioned our weakest link. I suppose to a degree it goes hand in hand with drafting. I feel better about our drafting the last couple of years. I’m not sure about Leblanc yet but I guess we will have to wait and see on that also.

• …yea…horrible… and what did we get for halak? eller? yea…he’s horrible….*cough* ;)

———-
        hip-check!

• SeriousFan09 says:

I’d take Gionta and Cammalleri over everyone we ‘let go’ in the playoffs in a heartbeat.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• Chris says:

I’d gladly dump Cammalleri, but that’s just me. :)

• SeriousFan09 says:

Yeah, guys who can generate above point per game pace in the NHL playoffs grow on trees. 3rd-best goal scoring output in a playoff year in team history. With the exception of Vincent Damphousse’s 23 points in 1993 and Larry Robinson’s 20 points in 1987, it was the best scoring campaign of a Hab since I was born.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• Chris says:

Dany Heatley generates a point per game too. He also had great playoff stats in Ottawa. Want him? I feel the same way about Cammalleri as most people feel about Heatley.

If Cammalleri showed that he gave a damn about anything other than generating points, I would be a fan. But he doesn’t, so I’m not. I never said it was rational. I just can’t stand the guy, and his one-dimensional invisibility act is wearing thin during the regular season.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Cammalleri already has more playoff goals in two years than Heatley has managed in his career and his PPG stats are actually above Heatley’s, who has never scored more than 3 goals in a post-season year outside of the 2007 Cup Run by Ottawa.

Cammalleri is a scorer and you need that kind of guy on your team to win, especially one who elevates his play when it matters most. If we want our team to finish higher in the scoring charts, it would help if we had at least one guy who was committed to scoring goals.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• RetroMikey says:

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• mjames says:

I agree with you . Although we can all find examples of players we develop and players we let go if you are really objective the development trend is negative. In addition to questionable drafting in the 1,2,3 rounds (later rounds really are a crap shoot unless you are Detroit – similar to a blind squirrel finding an acorn) , we seem to lack patience with those we do draft. We keep on dumping on Weber. We are ready to let Emelin return to Russia , etc. . Lets let these guys develop. Aside from Subban and Weber when was the last time we developed a Dmen. We gave up on O’Bryne, we lost Hainsey and traded Mcdonough. The list goes on.

mjames

• Natrous says:

If the Habs could be accused of anything based around the names from the diatribe above, it would be mishandling young talent and not keeping them out of the amazing Montreal bars/nightlife. There were good reasons to get rid of Ribiero, Kostitsyn, Grabovski, Ryder, Higgins, Theodore, etc. – either these guys couldn’t get it together off the ice, and it showed on the ice, and/or they were a total cancer in the dressing room. Some went elsewhere and shined after a serious shake-up of their world, others not so much… good riddance.

62. Chorske says:

The article about Don being the defender of free speech is way off the mark. Don’s right to free speech does not guarantee him from being fired from his state-sponsored soap box if he uses that soapbox to belittle and berate entire categories of people. The right to free speech doesn’t guarantee him (or ANYBODY) air time on the public broadcaster we all support via taxes. We all have the right to free speech, but on our own time, using our own soapboxes. I have no problem with Don having his own website or whatever, but I do have a problem with the CBC foisting that bombastic hysterical angry old pro-violence racist on me every weekend.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Don Cherry, using his free speech to slander others and fabricate his own twisted version of the truth is not really defending free speech but rather reminding us all of the pitfalls that we must endure for enjoying it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• avatar_58 says:

Free speech works both ways. He can say what he wants but I have every right to call him a bigoted moron who needs to shut the hell up and get off my habs broadcasts.

• MikeMcLaren says:

You’ve nailed it. Free speech means that you won’t be put to death if you say something objectionable. It means you merely have the RIGHT to say whatever you want to say. It does not mean that a public broadcaster must carry every crackpot view out there.

Just as the owners of the website we’re on can delete any comment they please, as that is their right, the CBC can delete Don Cherry whenever they want without stepping on his rights – his contract, maybe, but not his rights.

It’s just all so tiresome. I can’t even get worked up over it anymore. He really is just a sad, crazy old man at this point.

/\\ike
      GO HABS GO!

63. TommyB says:

All Cherry/All the time….it’s like a car crash, isn’t it, you just have to take a look. The best way this could turn out, at least in my opinion, is that Cherry steadfastedly refuses to apologize, and the group files a suit (pun intended) against the CBC. This could finally lead to the end of Don Cherry and Coach’s Corner. I feel certain the CBC could not continue to air the show with a lawsuit hanging over their heads, caused by Cherry and his opinions.

64. Haligonian-Hab says:

This article is a good read. Found it in ESPN’s search engine… not a headline in the US for obvious reasons.

• JF says:

Thanks for the link. An extremely well-written, entertaining article.

• TINMAN17 says:

On Saturday, during Chris Berman’s “2 minute drill” on sportscenter he highlighted Calvillo and Warren Moon as two of the best passers ever, he had been talking about Tom Brady at the time. It is true that CFL gets little to no coverage in the US, though. The last CFL highlight that was mainstream was a DB going headfirst into the goalpost.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

65. slychard says:

And you read BETWEEN lines, not behind them.

• Ton says:

No because you can read ahead of them, between them or behind lines as well. Your choice. Get a life, an article link was provided from someone’s reading enjoyment. You welcome! You never commented on the article as of yet but chose to critique one’s posts because its where your priorities are> weak!

66. slychard says:

@ton; Interesting indeed, since Martin is only starting his 3rd year at the helm of the habs.

• Ton says:

Ok let me rephrase> Muller was in the job 5 years. spent a better part of two years with Martin> almost as equal as he spent with Burns and Demers. Martin was not mentioned as an influence. Not saying he is a bad coach just commenting on Muller’s comments.

67. Ton says:

Interesting read, I think you can read behind the lines, didn’t learn much from Martin especially since he spent 5 years with him, interesting. I think he will be missed.

Good morning everyone, It is time to start getting your donation gifts ready for the HIO Summit children’s foundation charity. Great way for our HIO community to give back to the kids.

5TH ANNUAL 2011 HAB FAN SUMMIT NOV. 18,19 & 20.

We will all meet and greet at Hurley’s pub Friday eve. Some of us will be having supper there, and name tags will be given out.

Everyone is welcome to join us. Ware you team colors! and enjoy the evening.

Saturday morning, breakfast is at Chez Cora’s at 8:30am. You can order a la cart and everyone gets 15% discount off your bill.

We walk over to the Bell Center for the Hall of Fame Tour at 10:30am and the Bell Center Tour is at 11:30am. You need to purchase a $5:50 ticket for the Bell Center tour.

After the tours there will be a professional presentation put on by former concussed hockey players. Kerry Goulet, Keith Primeau and other players who are Involved in educating the effects of concussion, depression and neurology rehabilitation.
    (location is the Novotel hotel, just up the street)

At 3pm the Children’s Foundation charity raffle at the Baton Rouge rest. bring one item each if possible, so everyone gets a gift to go home with. Our pre game dinner. Then we walk across the street to the game.

After the game the 2nd floor of Hurley’s pub is reserved for us again, to celibate the win. Anyone may join us, just identify yourself as a HIO member.

Please be generous with your charity raffle gifts and your purchase of raffle tickets. It is a way for the HIO community to give back to less fortunate kids.

Enjoy talking hockey and meeting your wonderful HIO family.
    See ya there.
    Ian Cobb

HIO Fan Summit Organizer (613-968-9807) if you need anything.

2011 HIO FAN SUMMIT HOTEL
    2 min. walk to everything–Book early before the cut off date.

Hotel regular rates are $139 and $149. BUT!

Our HIO special rates are as follows.
    Hotel rates.single $119, Double $119, Triple $144, Quad $$169

Be sure to tell them you are with HIO.

Mrs. Xich-Vê HÔ (pronounced “sik-vay”)
    Sales Manager- Leisure Groups and Catering
    1180 de la Montagne
    Montréal, Qc H3G 1Z1
    866-861-6112
    Tel : 1 514 871 2138

69. G-Man says:

Cherry should have been replaced long ago. His “insight into the game” belongs to the 1960s and 70s. The NHL passed him by a long time ago. Mind you, for those who like watching someone dressed as a clown every Saturday night (excepting the red nose), they have a “village idiot” tailored to them.
    May he be sued off the air for his comments on Nilan. The tool.

70. CanadienBoy says:

Like the fact that Weber ‘s getting a second go at the D ,him and PK have the best shoot on the PP

• Ton says:

The only time I saw this organization give a young d an opportunity and allowing for mistakes is komi and PK over the years. I always said just play your young d’s, leave them in there and allow them to make mistakes and learn from them. That’s how you develop young D’s. Webber would be a good 4 to 5th D men with great potential on the power play.

71. EricInStL says:

Jeez just ignore the guy.

Controversy sells, always remember that.

72. Neutral says:

Shiloh – I think everyone is entitled to an opinion, it’s the way you express your opinion is what matters and that’s where Don Cherry crossed the line. we have a few on this site whom cross the line from time to time and the HIO zero-tolerance policy is not enforced. this site is meant for the enjoyment of the readers agree or disagree and not to be disrespectful to anyone, don’t be a cherry….

73. moester says:

My problem isn’t with Cherry’s opinions he is un fact entitled to them. Many people share them, and I can respect that even if I don’t agree.

What I don’t agree with is that he should receive government funds to do so. It sickens me that the only thing that seems to protect Cherry is the fact that he is on the CBC. No corporate environment would allow a man such as Cherry to go forth unedited.

I read miss Crosbie’s article and I want to answer her question. Are we to be in a society where the workplace us free of insults and inflammatory opinions? Yes, yes we are. Why? Because bullies have no place in our society. You want to have your opinions and share it with your friends? Sure. You want to run for office using that opinion as your platform? Absolutely! You want me and every other tax-payer to float the bill for an opinion held by a minority? That I cannot abide!

• Johnny_D says:

Totally agree, and that is scarily very close to what I just wrote in a previous comment…

(However, it doesn’t appear, I wonder who I pissed off?)

74. j2w4habs25 says:

GO HABS GO!

Carey Price #31

75. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

So Cherry calls French people “Pepsis” and that’s just free speech.

76. Johnny_D says:

I believe that he is indeed entitled to an opinion, but I would rather hear this type of opinion in a local bar, or another place where I can argue with the guy about him being a moron.

What I cannot accept, and what I believe he is not entitled to, is receiving tons of Canadian tax-payer dollars to promote this type of neanderthall opinion.

77. Jim Edson says:

Cherry and Milbury and Maclean are all CBC employees.

Why else would the CBC be backtracking and distancing itself for the past 5 days on Cherry’s latest invocation?

Most interesting revelation related to this entire incident is that the editorial power Maclean has over the content of HNIC. Makes you wonder who the real “culprit” is.

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Barak Obama or Gary Bettman.

78. JD_ says:

Lawyers are generally all specialists. Grimson would probably be ill-equipped to take on the kinda suits the CBC can afford, at our indirect expense, of course.

All of which sux.

But, then again, maybe he has friends in the biz who would work pro bono just for the opportunity to have a go at Chestnut.

79. JD_ says:

I appended before you posted. We’re on the same page in that regard.

Although I’m not a slander/libel lawyer – I just play one on the Internet – I’m, however, way, way, waaaay far from convinced they have much to work with as far as a slander suit goes.

They just want a simple apology.

80. HabFab says:

They would actually have to convince the Courts that DC’s comments lowered the listeners perception of them. The CBC lawyers could probably argue successfully that their public perception was in fact enhanced by the old fart.

81. JD_ says:

I believe they would have to prove financial harm was caused.

Even then, Chestnut’s defence would be a piece of cake, somethin’ he probably already well knows.

82. Maksimir says:

Don’t you guys remember Carbo? He was the King of line switch-ups. If one line played 2 shifts together and didn’t score – it was time to change it up.

83. RGM says:

That’s just a very small portion of the 500+ cards in there. We’ll have to swap collection links. :)

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

84. RGM says:

Here is the link, my friend – let me know if it gives you any troubles:

Will have to look at yours when I get home – Photobucket always makes my system lock up. LOL

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

85. Kooch7800 says:

They are cut from the same cloth

86. well for once, a RE movie with leon and wesker, only took em 5 installments to figure it out

/nerdrant

87. my bad this will be the third with wesker

my leon point still stands

i loved the first one, rest sucked… im actually currently steamrolling through RE4, it was re rendered for PS3 as a download

this still has to be one of the best games ever made, plus nothing… NOTHING is more satisfying than running through a granado village with an infinite RPG :D

88. see i liked the originals as well, but the camera issues were certainly a gripe (which didnt detract me)

in 4 they changed everything

its too bad they crapped the bed with 5… sheva just wastes your ammo, i always kept her unnarmed

avoid 5 and just play 4

if you finnish 4 and want to play 5, just play 4 again (trust me)

89. Half in this instance is referring to half way between the goal line and the blueline.

90. Chris says:

It’s funny…I NEVER heard that expression until Pierre McGuire and the TSN guys went on about the “half-boards” all the time. I watched hockey for 20 years and never heard that term once.

91. Chorske says:

These new sports terms drive me crazy. It’s like “from the pocket” in football. I’ve been watching the sport for how long now? When did the pocket happen?!

92. Bill says:

Or maybe he had a great pre-season and earned the call-up. Which he did. Where were you?

Full Breezer 4 Life

93. Hilarious. You whine about toughness constantly but lament giving up D’agostini, the softest player the Habs have dressed in years.

94. Stev.R says:

D’Agostini was garbage who bitched and complained about everything. Good riddance. Palushaj was our best minor leaguer last year and will earn a spot with the big club in due time

95. Tony McLean says:

Amen!

“The point is that Fergie wasn’t, and didn’t have to be, a non stop brawler. His hard earned reputation preceded him, and he could keep the opposition in line without spending all night in the penalty box.” – Jean Beliveau

96. pat s says:

blue collar players are not liked in montreal right now—no grit or fear whatsoever

97. Kristo is smaller than Gionta? Last I checked he’s never been measured under 5’11 since he was drafted.

98. Translation: How dare you bring up relevant points, Bill! I will persist in my unsupported opinion because I’m too lazy to look up things like player performance and waiver rules.

99. WestHab says:

If you didn’t watch pre-season as you admit then you are a year off the mark at least. Your insight has been sour for a while.

100. punkster says:

And the real question being, did he dress himself?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

101. Everlasting1 says:

Softest player? He’s known to give a hit or two. He’d fit in nicely on your second line right about now.

——————————————————————-
    When the Hebrew scouts investigate the Promised Land of Canaan and return to discourage the other Hebrews from entering it..”We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them.” [Numbers 13:33]

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

102. Mark C says:

Palushaj plays with much more edge and defensive awareness than Maxwell, and Palushaj’s offensive game and production is actually progressing, unlike Maxwell.

103. Mattyleg says:

Okay, hold on, hold on…
    You’re saying that Grabovski didn’t get a fair shake? You mean when he refused to get on a plane with the rest of the team in his rookie season?
    Hmm. Carbonneau was the coach when he got traded.
    But what the heck, we can blame him on JM, right? Right!
    And SK74? You’re right. He never got a chance here. Or another chance. Or another and another. Yep.
    And O’B!! What a great, great player. An All-Star this year, I reckon.
    You should look into supporting teams that we trade to, if you like our garbage so much!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

104. el heffe says:

i don’t know if i’d trade Bournival for O’Byrne but seeing Ryan run not over but THROUGH Chara the other night was…well, beautiful. Like watching a baby take its first steps, then a header, only to get back up laughing and try it again. My insides felt warm and wonderful seeing Chara get demolished by O’Byrne. If only, i thought, he hit like that in the bleu blanc rouge.

Charge it to the Underhill’s.

105. Matt. says:

Nailed it.
    and i’d still trade O’B for Bournival today .

106. Mark C says:

I thought you didn’t watch NHL pre-season games, yet you’ve seen US college games? Odd.

107. JD_ says:

Some here cheer for infinite shootouts so that they can come on here and bitch about the absence of a theory unifyin’ general relativity and quantum mechanics.

108. davecessna says:

Down with the establishment!

109. davecessna says:

The cat is dead in the box. The end.

110. Tony McLean says:

Never happen. Scotty as GM with Lemaire as assistant, Larry Robinson as coach.

111. JD_ says:

Brett Hull’s skate was in the crease.

The Stars won the Stanley Cup.

112. and yet where would he fit on your team(s)?

paranoid italian in toronto likes the habs and the blues

hedging bets ftw

113. kempie says:

D’agostini? Matt D’agostini? On Montreal’s second line? Right now. With Gointa & Gomez? Matt D’agostini? Say that out loud and tell me it sounds right? Puuuuuuleeeeeeeezzzeeee.

114. punkster says:

Really and truly LOL.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

115. I could not stop laughing while reading this comment.

I am sorry, Kempie, i may be waaaaay off base here but sounds to me you… possibly… you saying Gomez is an asset?

117. kempie says:

Well Timo, he’s no Matt D’agostini, and he’s only playing to justify the Valentenko trade, but if he were playing with the great Matt D’agostini, he’d have the chance to put up some decent numbers for once.

118. Chorske says:

Heee heee! It’s the birth of a new HIO meme: player X is only playing to justify the Player Y trade. Feckin hilarious! Love it.

GOMEZ IS ONLY PLAYING TO JUSTIFY THE HIGGINS TRADE!

The possibilities are almost endless.

119. habzfan2003 says:

Where can I get that hat dude?

120. nunacanadien says:

But look at how we trade these drafted guys for a bag of pucks. Hey Gauthier, I hear there is a bridge for sale in Montreal the old historic bridge with lots of history! I bet Gauthier would ask “Is it less than 6 feet 1 inch and weighs less than 205 pounds?”…..because we draft and trade small, the bulldogs end up being a team that can compete at that level but when we call them up, they are just squashed by the NHL goon hockey. It’s time we stopped looking for fragile thin small Campoli type players no one wants, and instead have a hockey management that would wait for a better day and better deal. Sure we would have to watch the habs fall down for two or three seasons. But this Gainey rebuild has to stop, of drafting or signing small players.

121. Chorske says:

Newsflash: guys like Enqvist and Gill weren’t drafted this year.

Also, who gives two craps about intimidation and grit?

122. Chorske says:

Complete nonsense. Never mind that Campoli is hardly small by league standards, at 6′ and almost 200 lbs. Who are these small players recently drafted by the Habs? Besides Gallagher, whose stock is rising meteorically after an awesome camp and a great start in Vancouver? Who are these small players you’re going on about?