Back to work

Rocket
The Canadiens return to practice in Brossard Tuesday morning.
They are still in 11th place, but Carolina won Monday night and has moved up to 12th.
The Sabres have slipped down to last.
Oh, and there was a spot of bother involving Tim Thomas …

We at Hockey Inside/Out do not share Thomas’s political views. (If we did, there would be more canned food and guns at HIO headquarters.) But we are vigorous defenders of free speech. And you have to respect a pro athlete – or anyone – who thinks principles are more important than PR.

The weight of tradition

Ken Dryden’s mission

Trade P.K.? | François Gagnon weighs in

Thomas snubs Obama | Kevin Paul Dupont weighs in | Great column by Joe Haggerty

Jaro finally loses to hot Wings

Ovechkin gets three games

And a great NFB short on hockey:

1. SmartDog says:

Re: ELLER

Of all the points I made in my long status post, the one that got the most disagreement was the idea that Eller is our future 1st line center. While I can’t KNOW that he is (and if he isn’t yes, we need to change), I still think he well may be.

FIRST: He’s probably nowhere near his potential now. He’s a 22-year old! A lot of centers come into the league at 21 or 22, and play on the 3rd or 4th line. How was MaxPac in his first year or two? I’ll tell you: Lousy. But look at him now. Eller is still young and improving, and will be next year as well. Judge him on his potential when he’s 24, not when he’s 22.

SECOND: He’s playing defensive assignments on the 3rd line. More and more he’s up against the other team’s best forward lines – and without the benefit of a Cole or Patches, or a Cammallerri or Gionta by his side. He has Moen. And AK. All playing DEFENSIVE assignments.

If you’re watching you’ll see that Eller is big, pushy, scrappy, and doesnt’ give up. And he makes great plays when he’s in the groove, as well as converts them. The style he plays is what we need… and his skill set, though inconsistent now does seem to be very good.

In SUM, the kid needs more seasoning, some confidence, and better linemates before we judge him on his potential. Hopefully he gets that next year, but it might be another year before he threatens to unseat Pleks AND DD. But he will. At least I think so. And if he DOESN’t. Maybe Pleks with the right forwards and a more mature Eller on the 2nd or 3rd line could be the mythical 3 scoring lines the Habs have wanted. Anyway, that’s more likely next year than this.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• --Habs-- says:

Eller can easily be on a second line night in and out right now. They have him on a 3rd line to learn and hone his defensive skills. Once he’s mastered that he’ll move up to the 2nd and maybe 1st line in the near future. He certainly skilled enough but maybe not just consistent enough for a 1st line assignment.

2. Prairienewf says:

• fastfreddy says:

@SMARTDOG, I agree with most of your post about who to trade and not trade. You forgot to add Darche, Kostitsyn,and Moen to the trade list. Those guys are’nt doing much for the habs. And Pleks is not that great of a player, if you can move him for a bigger player then do it.

• SmartDog says:

I TOTALLY disagree re. Pleks. Our top scorer AND our top defensive forward for a couple of years. That’s worth 5 million a year. He’s a big part of why our PK is so good…. and for most of the last 2 years he could make ANY wingers look good. This is an off year for him but the team is a mess (and at home he’s just had a kid). To trade him now would be a big mistake. He’ll bounce back next year – especially with some stability. There’s a reason why commentators all love him – he’s the complete player – even if he doesn’t up up 80 points.

As for the rest… for sure… though if AK will take a discount to stay here I think that’s a good thing. I like the way he plays.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

3. boing007 says:

Let’s hope that FG doesn’t have the ear of PG, otherwise we might lose PK.
    Richard R

4. Nobody says:

What strikes me about the Thomas thing is what a looney toon he is. I mean, did you read his statement, with all the peculiar capitalization and some weird purported insight into what the founding fathers would think about contemporary politics. Whatever, dude. If he was not a star goaltender, these mutterings would catch nobody’s attention.

• Prairienewf says:

I have to respond to this. I just have to. Were all the habs fan’s (of which I am) loathing of the bruins totalled up it probably wouldn’t total how much I loathe these beantowners. Having said Its hats off to Tim Thomas for me. I know the general feeling is put your petty differences aside for a few minutes to get perspective on things and go meet the “King” or “You’re just a goalie/athlete whatta you know you ‘Republican’!”. Well no that doesn’t wash with me. Look at the facts. Anybody know what his real beef is? Democrats take shots at Republicans for the patriot act but turn around try shove this new piece of legislation down americans throat. I like Obama but this little piece of garbage they’re attempting to pass as law in the USA shortly will potentially make all the certifiable conspiracy theorist look like prophets of Biblical proportion. Don’t let Pat, Mike, Stu, or Tonio tell you differently on this matter just becaus eits “Tim Thomas”. In canada we are a little more reasonable in our reactions to eyebrow raising political issues (Quebec generally being the exception. Good for them) but every now and again depending on the issue noise is necessary to draw attention and get people thinking instead of merely shrugging their shoulders and assuming those elected officials know what they’re doing. Good on you Timothy. Good on You.

• Strummer says:

Why is it that we need to comment on someone’s political leanings or motivations?

It’s one thing to criticize Thomas decision but bashing his political ideology because you don’t agree with it is unfair and unnecessary.

This is not the site to get into these pi$$ing matches.

If you don’t like Thomas’ politics please take it to a political site.

It’s “Hockey” Inside/Out

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
      -Dennis Miller

• TomThompson says:

Yeah the founding fathers also owned slaves so go to hell Thomas. And all the whacko Tea party types. I can understand advocating for a more limited government, but this fetish for the founding fathers/near hero worship of the constitution (when most of them love to attack it when it doesn’t serve their interests) is tiresome.