Back to the ice

The Canadiens practice this morning in Brossard, sweating off the turkey and whatever ele was ingested during their two-day hiatus.

The home opener is tomorrow night, with Guy Boucher and his Tampa Bay Lightning at the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens have also scheduled a press conference with Bell to announce “a series of three innovations aimed at bringing fans closer to their team than ever before.”

Maybe the cell phone numbers of all the players so we can call them up with helpful tips?

Homecoming for Boucher

Guy Carbonneau assesses the first two games

BGL gone, Breezer hanging in at Battle of the Blades

• A new creepy Ovechkin commercial

• Another questionable hit: Pominville injured

Wisniewski doesn’t remember

Hicks having trouble selling Stars

Devils a joke?

VTbA1y6vvig

1. Max_a_million says:

All of you black and white people are amazing.  Honestly it’s an incredibly fast paced rough sport.  These things will happen.  Was it a bad hit? yes, an illegal hit? yes, do they happen every night? yes, was the result horrible? yes … there was nothing that blatantly wrong with the hit.  These will happen. He will be suspended, as he should be and most likely worse because unfortunatley the result was worse than the hit.  You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

You want guys to go balls to the wall for 60 minutes, and these things will happen.  Otherwise you have ringette, or woman’s college hockey (which is actually fairly rough).  What you want is the George Laracque code where I ask people before I hit them if they wouldn’t mind being hit, and I make sure I only hit people my size.

All of the crybabys in Vermont ro wherever you may be from are free to visit any local department store for their tissues, as may be appropriate for their local town.  Sorry to have only pointed our Canadian Tire, I didn’t mean to be off putting.

2. Storm Man says:

I have no say on what goes on with my Chargers. But I do when it comes to my HIO ESPN teams ;). But McNeill is now locked up on a new 5 year deal. Im not worried about how the team does the rest of the year. Rivers is on fire just need to fire the special teams staff and we will win the AFC WEST again. Your the GM of your HIO team right? I hope you don’t get fired :).

3. ZepFan2 says:

There are those of us that already were aware of Cammi’s “jediness”.

Observe…Jedi Cammi

————————————————————————–

- Steven Tyler

4. riazp says:

Yeah so did I, loved it…does anyone know how long this promotions is for?

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Oh what are you complainin’ about, my goalies can’t put 1 win together right now, I’m pretty sure I lose this round unless Getzlaf plays like his hair is on fire for the rest of our round.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

6. SLONCOLD says:

I SAID I WANTED HIM SUSPENDED FOR SWINGING HIS STICK AT A GUYS HEAD. and yes i think one game was not enough

a great hockey play by the way.

i said the hit he took was clean

7. TomNickle says:

Complete nonsense.

See Cooke hit on Savard.

Thornton fights Cooke.  Cooler heads prevail immediately.

8. joeybarrie says:

Had to work yesterday, but spent the day watching the same thing… GREAT way to spend a holiday and get paid for it… Plus im off tomorrow, and Thursday to make up for it… AH THE GOOD OL’ USA…

You right, I remember watching the Ducks and wondering if they could beat that NYI team they sent us. I barely remember them being able to set ANYTHING up in the opposing zone, and the run towards it looked like one of my games… Let’s do something and see what happens, maybe we will end up with the puck…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

9. J Haul says:

Something that a lot of people miss is the objective of hitting in hockey. Upon it’s inception, body checking was meant to be used as a way to remove the puck from a player. It’s simply another form of “checking” to achieve this goal. Now people view it as a way to hurt the opposition. This is even evident in how we reference it now, calling it “hitting” instead of “body checking” and how we keep stats on it.

It’s this “hitting” mentality that leads people to think plays like this are ok. A big hit is fun to watch, but effective body checking can be done with respect and without trying to maim your opposition.

10. Max_a_million says:

Fighting wouldn’t solve a thing.  It never does.

11. Storm Man says:

D’Agostini = Brian Savage.

12. joeybarrie says:

So I see some back and forth on the Pommy hit from yesterday. Cammy got 1 game for a retaliation in an exhibition game and this is his second offense. I don’t see how Hjalm will get more on a bad hit for his first offence. You can’t simply judge the penalty because of the outcome. There have been worse hits that ended up being nothing because it wasn’t a funny angle. Dangerous hit with no intent to injure. Besides exactly how do you determine the intent to injure?

It’s too bad though, I have Pominville in my Fantasy league.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

13. Rudy says:

That’s what I thought. I was at the Caps home opener on Sat. and they raised a President’s Cup banner and SE Division Champs banner, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t do EC Champs.

Hilarious to watch a banner raising that wasn’t a Stanly Cup (though I’ve only seen 2 of those)

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

14. MathMan says:

On the one hand definitely wait-and-see to see if Boucher can beat Martin.

OTOH, Martin does need to do a better job with the system because last year’s team was pathetic 5-on-5 and the passive “flee-to-the-net” system had a lot to do with that.

15. TomNickle says:

Maybe you should focus on the Chargers’ special teams costing them football games a quarter of the way into the NFL season.

;)

16. Max_a_million says:

You are correct sir!

17. TomNickle says:

You think I’m crying about this?

I didn’t know they had Canadian Tire stores in Vermont.

If you delivered a hit like that, you’re gutless.  And if you took a hit like that you know that it’s a gutless play.

18. Storm Man says:

Tom maybe you need to pick him up for your HIO ESPN league ;).

19. Max_a_million says:

Exactly right!

20. TomNickle says:

Cammalleri should have dropped his gloves.  If Cammy and Pleks had that big of a problem with the way Niederreiter was playing, a fight is a good way to go about dealing with it.

Three blatant stick penalties within a minute isn’t.

That said, I have no problem personally with what Cammalleri did because he’s a smaller guy and they need to go over the top to protect themselves.

21. TorontoHabsFan says:

Spent yesterday watching the free NHL Centre Ice promotion…what a great way to spend a holiday! Anyways, the one thing that stuck out to me was how truly terrible Anaheim is playing right now. There was literally zero transition game between the D and the forwards. They look awful.

I’m feeling pretty bad about drafting Corey Perry so high in one of my fantasy leagues :)

22. Max_a_million says:

I have been both on the delivering and receiving end.

My knuckles are indeed sore from playing football this weekend, where I delivered and received lots of hits.

Tissues can be purchased at Canadian Tire very cheaply by the way.

23. joeybarrie says:

Always funny to me when a guy we let go has a good game that we come out and wonder why didn’t we do this or that. First off D’ags first goal was great. A HUGE LASER MAB STYLE into the top corner. His second goal was a gift from god as he found himself with the puck and no one in the goal. Let’s see if he gets more than 5 goals this season before we wonder if we gave up on him too soon.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

24. HabFanSince72 says:

I thought it was Price, not Halak.

In any case, we sure dodged a bullet. Thanks Bettman.

25. Max_a_million says:

You wanted Cammi banned from the league a week ago.

26. J Haul says:

Exactly.

I also hate the views of some below that place the onus on the player being cranked. “He didn’t protect himself”… why is that an excuse for a guy to take a dirty run at him?

It’s all about a lack of respect for other people.

27. RGM says:

It’s unfortunate that you value “toughness” and defending an archaic code over a person’s long-term health considerations. You’re entitled to do it, but a person laying motionless on the ice and having to be stretchered off is not part of the game. This was something that was perfectly avoidable had the player chosen not to illegally hit another player from behind and put his head into the glass.

Not five minutes after that dirty hit, Tyler Myers absolutely rocked a guy. Everybody cheered it, the announcers got pumped for it, and both guys got up and skated away from it. That is hockey. Nobody questions that hitting is part of the game, but what sensible people do question–and can disagree upon–is whether it is acceptable and “part of the game” that people should be stretchered off the ice because of illegal contact.

28. oshawahabsfan says:

Two games, are you serious. Cammalleri got a game for a little two handed slash in which the player received a bruise to his leg. Pominville may not play the rest of the season now thanks to this reckless idiot

29. TomNickle says:

Okay.  On Pouliot, I’m reading a lot of, he won’t go to the net and he won’t play physical.  This couldn’t be further from the truth.  He hasn’t been getting benched because of a lack of physical play or a reluctance to go to the net.  It certainly isn’t due to a lack of skill.

He makes silly mistakes that atom level hockey players don’t make.  Seriously.  He isn’t very good without the puck, he doesn’t tie up his man with consistency when backchecking or on faceoffs.  He doesn’t pick up the proper man at all when backchecking and gets caught too deep in the offensive zone quite a bit.

All that said, he’s an asset to this team.  He’s been in on two big goals early in the season and is playing hard for this team.  I don’t think the benching is helping.  But that’s just my opinion.

He’s arguably been one of our most physical forwards so far this season.

30. Chorske says:

I’m gonna wait until tonight’s game before getting all ZOMFG!!1!

31. Danno says:

A sign of things to come if the league keeps allowing cheap shots.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

32. TomNickle says:

Who was on the record while in Dallas saying that he thought that Halak would be a future Vezina winner.

His history with goalies would suggest to me that he’s slightly off the mark.

33. oshawahabsfan says:

Some people still live in the stone age I guess, your knuckles must be sore

34. Chorske says:

Not sure I buy the connection between Pouliot and Dag. Dag had hit his ceiling, which wasn’t high to begin with. PouPou is a (probably vastly overrated) former 1st round pick with (supposedly) mad skills who won’t do basic things like battle for the puck and play with focus and intensity. I really don’t see the link at all.

35. notbigbird says:

I can’t see any question about it being a blindside hit covered by the new rules. He couldn’t possibly have seen the guy coming from that angle even with the supposed peek which if anything was looking for his own man or the other opponent. While I don’t think there was intent to injure, but neither do I think most highsticking or delay of game infractions were deliberate, so it’s definitely punishable. If the league is really serious about this, it should be at least 5 games IMO.

36. andrewberkshire says:

The GM of the Blues is Doug Armstrong.

37. oshawahabsfan says:

Throw the book at that guy, this was essentially a hit from behind. They need to set a real standard the way junior hockey has been dealing with cheapshots. There’s no way for Pominville to see the hit coming and protect himself. What will it take for these meatheads to stop delivering these dangerous checks

38. Harani says:

On twitter:

Stubbs reports that Markov and Hammr practicing at full speed.

JFChaumont reports that Hammr skating with O’B so might be in the line-up tomoro.

MAGodin ask : How would the Habs look today if they had completed the rumoured transaction of Plekanec, Gorges, Subban et Halak for Lecavalier et etc. Very shitty is my guess!

“It must be love!”

39. Chorske says:

Lets turn the question around. Do you think it’s acceptable for a young player to play BADLY without the puck?

Come on. This whole “JM is ruining the kids” line is so tired.

40. Danno says:

Concussion from a bad hit from Chicago’s Andrew Ladd early in the season.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

41. HabFanSince72 says:

It takes a year to recover from concussion. Maybe what we are seeing is Dags returning to the level he should have been at.

42. Fire_Laraque says:

I heard Toronto also raised a banner: “We didn’t finish last 2009-2010″

43. HabFanSince72 says:

Not only that, but they weren’t Eastern Conference Champions, the Caps were.

44. Fire_Laraque says:

Yeah but my reflection was more regarding OUR players then D’agostini.

45. Fire_Laraque says:

Yeah, just wonderin’ if there isn’t another way to develop a player then to have ridulous expectations from him and start moving him around without giving him the time to settle.  But hey, what do I know?

46. Watsatheo says:

Actually he has two assets, very good shot (right handed too) and very fast.

47. SeriousFan09 says:

Flyers raised an “Eastern Conference Champions” Banner in their home opener last night.

Someone should tell them there’s only one banner that means anything after a season is over and that isn’t it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

48. SLONCOLD says:

didn’t he get hurt in mtl too and then was never the same after as well?

49. Harani says:

That Ovie commercial is freakin’ creepy!

“It must be love!”

50. SLONCOLD says:

Boyd’s been working pretty hard and not shying away from the the dirty zones on the boards. maybe before they move him up full time on the first line they’ll get him some time on the PP with gomez.

51. SeriousFan09 says:

D’Agostini has a shot, that’s about it. He barely scored a goal after Koivu was no longer his center, lifting him into something relevant on the Habs. If you’re going to be a 1-dimensional sniper you’d better be a hell of a sniper but he isn’t that good and he doesn’t have the game for the bottom-6.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

52. Jordio-oh says:

Sometimes a fresh start ignites a bit of an initial hot-streak, but normally taper off in cases like D’Agostini’s. I’d be surprised if he manges over 15 goals.

ps, your reference to JM wasn’t lost on me.

53. TomNickle says:

I think you’re misunderstanding the point I’m making.  You want to win trades, but you don’t want your trading partner to lose on them all of the time.  You want the player you’re trading away to be productive so that teams will continue to trade with you.

54. krob1000 says:

on IR, broke his toe on OCt 3rd.  Will get a chance to play top 6 there, Bouillon and Erat have been “assigned” as his mentors.  They are very excited about him and wil give him every opportunity to play top six minutes…he played very well in the preseason according to everyone but some QMJHL kid who is also a Predator prospect? weird stuff that was…he said Sergei was soft….most accounts I have read..say flashes of brilliance and the Preds have high hopes …and expectations for him.

55. Fire_Laraque says:

Tongue in cheek question here;

I wonder if the Blues coach asks D’agostini to play well without the puck and benches him when he has a bad shift???

Just wonderin’ ’cause we seem to be losing Poupouliot the same way we lost other kids by benching him and switching him lines as quickly as possible to make sure he’s good without the puck.

56. Watsatheo says:

Jedi Cammalleri Episode II with sound:

57. Dr-Watson says:

What a ridiculous and irrational statement to make!

58. TomNickle says:

I don’t believe I’ve read about him complaining that teams are too rough after the whistle or that a certain fight went over the top.

He’s referring to hits that are a result of a lot of players not respecting each other on the ice, and that has become a big problem in this league.

If you think that kind of hit is okay, I’m assuming you were never on the receiving end of one, and never dished one out.  Because if you had taken a hit like that, you would understand the potential danger and if you had given one, you would’ve had to stick up for yourself pretty quickly.

59. SLONCOLD says:

you should read more of my posts. because while the entire HIO community was complaining about the blind side hit on cammy, i thought it was clean.

60. TomNickle says:

I would really like to see if Jacques considers putting Pouliot and Eller with Halpern.  I think it could be a really good project.  In addition, I wouldn’t mind seeing Boyd moved up to the wing with Gomez and Gionta.  Boyd’s been good through the middle of the ice but his faceoff ability is lacking a wee bit.

61. Max_a_million says:

When somone cries about every patch of roughness, the message gets lost in the crying.

If ringette is too harsh, perhaps woman’s college hockey?

62. warriorhockey says:

ok so quick question… has sk74 played a game yet ?????

63. MathMan says:

Am I the only one who’s worried that it might not take more than one game we’ll all pine for the “one that got away” and his puck-pressure system who was let go for the coach who has a, well, “system” of some sort?

Or that the Habs’ vaunted 1000-game coach might well get his X-and-O board handed to him on a platter by a guy with two games of NHL experience?

I’m really hoping we start seeing some benefit from Martin this year, I really do. His system has been abysmal for the Habs so far and they need to not be a worst-in-NHL type team at evens this year. Because I think the guy who should’ve been coaching the Habs after last year’s, shall we say, less-than-inspiring coaching performance, is now coaching Tampa and I think the Habs will regret that for years.

64. SLONCOLD says:

do u like the hit and want to see your son or a friend in minor hockey experience the same tough hit? i love hits just not cheap shots.

65. TomNickle says:

Perhaps you should consider that Jason Pominville would like to walk upright when he’s done his career.

The risk of getting hit like that is part of the game but that doesn’t mean it should be tolerated without consequence.  It was a dirty hit that has the potential to end a player’s career.

Perhaps he would like to see consistency in the suspensions and a harsher punishment so that the NHL does get rid of these kinds of hits.  That may never come, but he’s justified in wanting them gone.

66. rocketsglare says:

Hjalmarsson IMO just took a dangerous shot at a vulnerable player. Noticed how Hjalmarsson raised his

shoulder at the moment of impact to maximize the force of the hit. He could have easly eased up on the

hit with out having to blast him into the boards. Regardless if Pominville saw Hjalmarsson coming it was

to little and certainly to late to do anything about it given the speed of Hjalmarsson’s approach.

Again, IMO an unwaranted and definitely dangerous hit with intent to injure. When is the league going to

stop these types of hits which to me seem like free shots at vulnerable players.

67. Max_a_million says:

Dude this is hockey.  People will get hit, and hurt.  You cry everytime something rough happens.

Perhaps you should follow ringette instead of hockey?

68. TomNickle says:

He was putting the surgery off for when he retired.  I believe he played two full seasons prior to having the surgery or ahem…..retiring.

69. Jordio-oh says:

And with the slow motion, side angle view i posted, you can see that Pominville did glance up before he got hit. However, that’s not to say he was expecting to get slammed, or that he was purposely remaining in a vulnerable position in order to draw a penalty

70. SLONCOLD says:

didn’t hatcher have knee replacement?

71. TomNickle says:

There’s no way they give him 10.  If Ovechkin were to do it later in the year they’d have to give him 10 minimum.  They won’t be prepared to do that.

5 is fair and a good number for a guy who doesn’t have much of a history.

72. PeterStone says:

that hit is as dirty as they get.  When you see the guys number, odds are you shouldnt drive him into the boards.  If you see both his numbers … 5 games minimum, personally would like to see 8.

That Ovechkin commercial is hilarious !

73. TomNickle says:

If I’m the Devils I’m sitting down with Zubrus and Salvador and telling them that they’ll collect their full paychecks to sit at home and fake injuries like the Flyers did with Rathje and Hatcher to get under the cap.

The Flyers did it without consequence.

At slow speed you see the hit better, but at top speed he came a long way to nail him in the back.

Dirty hit, and the league needs to send a message or the courts needs to send the league a message before someone is killed.

75. pmaraw says:

ya he did get pay from us

76. pmaraw says:

I know, my favourite was the one that crosby thought he scored on.  lol, also loved crosby’s post game interview lol, the reporters should carry tissues when they go see him.

77. pmaraw says:

it was a tough shot from a good position on the ice.  I think the guy was lucky, right place right time, but I dont blame price for that goal, nor did I consider it soft.

78. G-Man says:

I’ll appreciate him when he wins something in the NHL, not the minor leagues.

79. J Haul says:

Why is it that virtually every goal that Carey lets in is deemed a “weak goal”? These are pro players that make great shots. Just because something might be savable doesn’t mean it has to be weak.

Also, using a similar view to the one you’ve used here, shouldn’t one of those “sure goals” that Price stopped have cancelled out what you consider a weak goal?

With this mindset, and the number of massive saves from Price, the game should have actually ended with a score of something like 2 to -3 for the Habs. Add in the posts we hit and make that a 7 goal spread. Holy smokes, what a great performance!

80. larisalapointe says:

For starters, a 7th game shut-out in the playoffs. Only a handful have done that before him and not at 21.

81. G-Man says:

That’s the big question we all can’t answer. Why are you here, Castor?

This is not a fan site exclusiveley and I call weak goals allowed like I see them. Both goalies allowed softies, with Fleury’s being an even worse gaffe than Price’s. Like I mentioned before, the game should have been 2-1 Habs and not 3-2.

82. Habsrule1 says:

Well, he helped, but if not for Price, it would not have come down to that goal.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

83. pmaraw says:

cause price didnt keep them in the game with 38? saves

84. G-Man says:

Price allowed the 2nd- which was a weak one. Fleury allowed the 3rd one, which was All-Star weak.

If it were a great goaltending duel, Habs would have won 2-1. Because of both goalies’ brain farts- 3-2 Habs.

Price did play well, but this penchant for softies has to stop or the team will be between a rock and hard place. Habs D will improve a lot when Markov and Hamrlik are back. Until then, the pairing of O’Byrne and Picard is out there and that’s not that good a thing.

85. Danno says:

Many of Price’s 38 saves were huge. He kept them in the game in spite of one goal he would like to get back. This happens to all goalies even you-know-who.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

86. Habsrule1 says:

I didn’t think that goal was soft. Price could have made a great save on it, but that doesn’t make it a weak goal.

The fact is if not for Price, this game would have gotten out of hand quickly. It could have very easily been a 5-3 pens final.

87. Castor says:

But that’s the most ludicrous argument in sports. PK hit a post, Pleks hit a post. So should the game have been 5 to 2 instead? Do we blame Plekanec for missing that shot that he clearly should have had? No. If Price had let in 5 goals I’d be all over blaming him, and he’d blame himself. To take a performance like his on Saturday and sour it by insinuating that “Fleury lost the game” is an example of your horrible view of your team. Not an example of “calling it as you see it”

But, you’re right, it’s not exclusively a fan site so you can say what you want. Not being a Habs fan and all.

88. habs03 says:

By your logic, the game should have been 3-2 Pens, with Pricing saving that 3rd goal in the game but Crosby should have scored on the 2 open net chances Carey robbed him on….

89. 123456 says:

yes the gomez goal was horriffic – but the pens second goal was not a bad goal – it was a nice shot from 8 feet out – how was price supposed to save that? price made at least 5 crazy saves to keep the habs in the game. the win gets attributed to price.

90. G-Man says:

I have been a fan for almost all of my 50 years, Castor.

Look- you said it yourself- Fleury lost the game with that terrible goal he allowed.
    My “horrible” view is that the Habs are not much better than a middle of the pack team with a good possibility of finishing out of the playoffs because of management’s decisions over the summer. If you don’t agree, say why. Saying I am not a “fan” or a “true fan” is a no-go.
    Price’s performance Saturday was a good building block for him. Let’s see if he can put 2 or 3 solid games behind him. He wasn’t able to do it all last season and half the season previous.

91. 123456 says:

agreed he played great. made a few crazy saves that a lot of times would be goals. i hope this is the start of somethgin special

92. larisalapointe says:

So  a 2-1 win over a 3-2 win is the major point here?

Both gets you 2 in the standings. Yes winning is important, but those last 2 back to back goals gave the game alot of spice. Don’t you think?

Whoever gets the most pucks in the opponents net wins….or has something changed?

93. larisalapointe says:

The same way Price played on Saturday against Pens is the same way he played 1 year ago, except this time the team in front scored. I’ll take the soft flukey goals and the win.

Price was never the problem. Since you’ve been a longtime fan. Question? Where would Ken Dryden have been without the Big Three, and all the superstar forwards scoring one after the other?

94. G-Man says:

Where were you in ’71?

When the Big 3 weren’t there and the Habs were underdogs?

95. larisalapointe says:

I was there. A bit too young to remember it all. But why did you choose that year to make a point and not all of the seventies? A goaltender is supposed to be Spiderman, Superman and Batman all rolled up into one?

You still didn’t answer the original question. 2-1 win vs 3-2 win. What the heck is the difference?

96. Castor says:

Why are you here? What ever happened to supporting the team? The guy played GREAT on Saturday! Take that and roll with it for goodness sake.

97. nick says:

Seriously… Where does that silver spoon lacky get away with letting in 2 goals after having been peppered with 38 by a team of pissed off penguins determined to get a little pay back?

What reasonable number are we looking for? 1 goal for every 60 – 70 shots?

98. G-Man says:

The difference is that neither goalie would have let in a softie. I want to see Price play a 60 minute game and not let in 1 or 2 softies. That’s the point.

Was the game a building block for Price? Yes. Can he play better? Yes.

I want the #1 goalie for the Habs to not allow 60 to 120 softies a year. Is that a crime around here?

99. larisalapointe says:

You know what, forget it, You don’t appreciate Price and no matter what is said, you’ll stick to that. You want him to get a shut-out every game. Well g-man, even at that the team in front still has to score.

100. Hagar says:

Honestly, I’m not entirely convinced that this hit is as a dirty as a lot of people make it out to be. He clearly hits him from the side. Pom’s right shoulder was down slightly just before contact was made and their hips are almost perfectly parallel. The puck was also in his possession (or woulda been in another split fraction of a second). It also couldn’t be described as charging or boarding. To me this looks like a clean hit that ended badly. Mind you, my understanding of rules regarding hitting are imperfect, so I could be wrong.

101. J Haul says:

Totally with you. The guy was pretty much headhunting (and no, I’m not omplying that he went after his head). When taking a run at someone from that far away and then popping him from behind, especially without the puck, you’ve got to know this is one possible outcome. That was a complete lack of respect for a fellow player. Suspension has got to be coming.

The only crappy part (outside of Pominvilee suffering a concussion) is that this incident will now overshadow the Wis “gesture”. I know everyone hates Avery, but if he got 5 for “sloppy seconds”, Wis should at least get a couple for something even more vulgar. I suspect the league will want to just sweep it under the rug though.

102. habitual says:

Can’t say I agree Ian.   At the very least he did not hit him directly from behind.  What I saw was the hit coming mostly from the side.  I think the problem came by Pomminville’s shoulder being hit on an angle, spinning him into the boards.

At the very least the hit was charging and from behind. At the speed of the game today the league has to send a clear message before players die on the ice.

We all love great clean hits, but to charge at another player and cream him against the boards and glass like that, there can only be one out come. Death or serious injury. They have to get that crap out of the game!!

104. WarHero says:

Well folks….

In regards to that Hockey news I mentioned last week, I took a chance
    and because of it, I have been asked to write both live game blogs and
    non-live blogs for the OTTAWA 67′S!! No, it’s not an NHL club but it
    certainly is a step in the right direction and to be honest, I
    [b]LOVE[/b] OHL hockey!

My first game blog will be on Friday, October 22nd against the Brampton Battalion and can be found here:

I will provide more details as they are worked out!!

Sooooooooooooooo excited!!!

————————————————————————

105. longtimehabsfan says:

The Devils thing is a joke and not good for the game.  It reminds me of pickup hockey.

106. habsfan321 says:

Is there a time set for this Bell/Canadiens press conference?

107. crabvader says:

I have to say that Hjalmarsson’s hit was 100% clean. No head shot, no charging, never left his feet…and here is the key moment in the hit: POMINVILLE SEES HIM COMING!

There was no blind sided hit. Pominville went hip-to-hip and his head ended up hitting the glass.

This is an absolute joke that Hjalmarsson is facing disciplinary action. Pominville broke the cardinal rule of hockey: keep your head up. He saw the Swede coming and just ignored the hit.

I hope he recovers 100% but it was definitely his bad for not protecting himself from the hit.

Pretty soon, players will be penalized for simply throwing hits. What a joke.Now I have to say that the only thing wrong with the hit was that Pominville didn’t have the puck YET. It was heading his direction though and Hjalmarsson picked that up. Early hit is all the NHL can really say.

108. lefreak says:

are you blind?

that hit was squarely from the back…he lined him up with his numbers ffs.

check the rulebook man, blindside hits are a no no.

109. TomNickle says:

I think you should watch that clip again.  He looks to his right to see if he has anybody leaving the zone that he can pass to.  Not looking behind him to see if Hjalmarsson is skating with a full head of steam to level him from behind.

And it is 100% from behind.

110. krob1000 says:

???? clean??? he never had the puck, it was from behind, it was from more than charging distance, it was a vulnerable player and an uncessary hit in a dangerous position…that was pointless.   If there had been a bunch of traffic, the hit was coming from 6 feet away…and Pominville had the puck….maybe it then it is not dirty…but then again he wouldn’t have the velocity, Pominville might be expecting it…you know…if he had the puck? this site is weird today….there is a reason it was 5 and a game…this deserves 3-5 IMO.  This is the type of thing that has to be addressed…there was time, no real reason, the player was vulneralbe,etc…..if this is suspendable and our two a couple years back on the icings were then there are some serious inconsistency issues going on.  I don’t think he meant to actually hurt him…and he did meet his lower half first, but Pominville was not in a dumb position he just wasn’t expecting a dumb hit, he was actually close to the boards, was facing the puck and not the boards and it was an ugly hit…one that had some unusual circumstances, player backing up, Hjalmarsson coming from unusual angle as usually pinching dman would be coming from directly behind him,etc….the amount of time Hjalmarsson had, the distance he travelled, the angle he hit him at, the fact Pominville was vulnerable BECAUSE HE SHOULDN’T EXPECT TO GET HIT WHEN HE DOESN’T HAVE THE PUCK, the injury, the potential severity of injuries on these type of hits as opposed to Cammi’s three minor stick infractions that cumulativley warranted suspension…..this is life altering dangerous hitting…it has to go.  Hjalmarsson…again I don’t believe intended to hurt him but it was poor judgement and the type that can’t go unpunished …unless you are Alex Ovechkin.  People say the result doesn’t matter? the NHL has proven before it does to them……he will get something…what is the question as Hjalmarsson did hit lower first, it wasn’t diretly from behind,t ehre was an angle, he has a clean history, he already got a 5 and a game…..it was a weird circumstance..forward drifting backwards, him coming from across instead of from behind directly …etc….be interesting but I say 3-5 games….likely 3.

111. JasonM says:

1. Pomerville was looking to someone to pass to and not behind him.

2. You can tell by the replay that he hit him squarely over his right number. Basically at a 135 degree angle thus officially a blindside/boarding hit.

3. You can’t be that stupid to truly believe such a hit belongs in hockey. If you’re trolling, good job you got me. If you’re being honest, Sir, I shake my fist in your general direction and feel bad about your lack of insight and hockey knowledge.

112. JerryMcgoo says:

Pominville appears to do a quick check over his shoulder before the hit.  It’s not clear whether he sees the player coming in or not.  Even if he saw the hit coming, I can’t say that it’s a clean hit.

113. notbigbird says:

Disagree. He took a quick peek — a very quick peek — to his right but could not possibly have seen the guy coming from behind. This should be covered by the new league rules. I will agree that it was not an intent to injure, but it was a serious  infraction regardless.

114. andrewberkshire says:

No matter what you might deny about the facts of the hit being dirty, Pominville didn’t have the puck yet so it’s by  definition a dirty hit.

115. Mattyleg says:

Pominville didn’t have the puck!

It was not his “bad” (mistake) for not protecting himself. He didn’t have the puck, so he shouldn’t have been blindsided.

Who cares if he looked up? When I look at cars coming towards stop-signs as I come through intersections, I don’t expect them to keep coming!

Hjamawekaljdkga should have stopped short or at least pressed Pominville into the boards.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

116. habs913 says:

I disagree… the definition of boarding is tripping, hitting, hooking (anything that causes the player to hit into the boards)… pominville was a couple feet away from the boards and Hjalmarsson hit him projecting him into the boards. The call was right… since the player was injured, Hjalmarsson is lucky he only got 5 and a game and not a match penalty.

GO HABS GO

117. oshawahabsfan says:

He didn’t see him coming, he took a peak to decide what to do with the puck once he got it. It’s called breaking out of the defensive zone. He didn’t have to puck so regardless of where the contact occurred, this was a bad play. The fact the Hjaskhflkdh didn’t let up at all upon seeing that Pominville’s numbers were still facing him shows he’s a coward and has no respect on the ice. When you see the numbers you don’t throw a bodycheck, it’s pretty damn simple. When a player doesn’t have the puck, you don’t bodycheck them, another pretty damn simple concept. Apparently he, and some people on here don’t have the brain capacity to understand such concepts

118. bwoar says:

Early hit is all the NHL can really say.”  Making it completly illegal.  See my long post above on bodychecking.  Dunno where everyone gets the idea that any and all contact is legal so long as the puck is almost in the same zip code.

119. McPhee35 says:

This comment is what makes it hard to watch modern day hockey, sometimes.

There is a lack of respect amoung players… Even if Pomminville saw the hit coming (which is questionable), he made the assumption that Hijalmarsson could see his vulnerability and bump him, not crush him.  Players are out to hurt other players more then ever, and it’s sad to have so many talented players sidelined all the time.

Don’t get me wrong, I love physical, tough, fight-littered hockey games… but when it’s evident that the respect is gone for many players, hockey turns nastier then it need be.

120. lefreak says:

i have a feeling that many of the people that said that the hit on pominville was clean, would be clamoring for a lifetime ban if this happened to cammilieri of another hab.

121. joeybarrie says:

Go to a bar and have some drunken buffoon try to pick up a pretty girl, have him get all handsy and then finally insulting when she doesn’t want to dance… Shame, and I would laugh at him… Make it my wife, and he gets a punch in the face…

Now is it right???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

122. TomNickle says:

EXACTLY.  Pominville did everything on that play by the book.  Backchecked through the middle, kept his body facing the play and was available for a pass.  Kept a safe distance between his body and the boards, look for a breakout pass with the puck coming to him and also for a check coming from his side.

123. lefreak says:

pominville is a very important player for the sabres. The league tends to hand out stiffer penalties when top line players are targeted, so i would not be too surprised to see 5. This is a huge loss for the sabres.

124. lefreak says:

i’m going to have to invoke the good ole fashioned “wat?” here:p

125. TomNickle says:

On a much more relevant note.  Who do you guys think Monsieur Martin will throw out on the ice against the Stamkos line tomorrow night?

I’m going Pleks, Cammy, AK with Gill and Gorges.

126. SeriousFan09 says:

Likely, Pleks is the top two-way man and Gill-Gorges will be looking to give another NHL superstar an aneurysm with their coverage. Than we can have Gomez V Lecavalier and the endless stat comparisons of the 7-million dollar centers head to head.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

127. TomNickle says:

Transition game will be strong against that line if Gill and Gorges can get the puck up ice quickly.  St.Louis and Stamkos shoot quite a bit so they’ll look to take advantage of their misfires.

I like Gomez, Gionta and whoever up against Lecavalier’s line with Subban and Hamrlik at the back.

Subban could get into their heads maybe.

128. bwoar says:

Ditto.  Martin is a strength-on-strength guy.

129. habitual says:

Overwhelm them?  Don’t see that happening.  The majority of skaters on our top two lines have not played well. The two goals in TO came from the third and forth lines. Gomez and Kostitsyn look the same as last year and while Pouliot is skating better he isn’t generating scoring chances.  Pleks and Cammy need these guys to step it up.

130. SeriousFan09 says:

Tampa’s not the worst thing coming at us this week, after Hedman and Ohlund (who hasn’t played a game yet) their best defencemen is Pavel Kubina plus their goalie has a ton of problems. That first-wave PP unit will be a pain but our checking lines can pretty easily outmatch theirs and give the Habs a few ways to overwhelm them during the game.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Battle of the blades,,

Brisbois was very impressive and is getting very good in fact. He should stick around for a couple of weeks.

But V. Bure and his partner should take this thing. Very polished skating team out there.

132. Everlasting1 says:

We can agree to disagree, but he WAS aware it was coming.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

133. pmaraw says:

I see boarding, charging and interference, as well as intent to injure.  he was gunning for him well before that puck started dribbling in his direction.  I hope pominville has a good hospital

134. Everlasting1 says:

I wouldn’t classify that as a hit from behind. It was more a lateral shoulder to shoulder hit. No doubt an interference/boarding major penalty and perhaps a game misconduct.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

135. 123456 says:

popmmer was againt the boards facing the corner getting ready for a pass right? did the Dman come from the slot or the blue line? he came from the blueline. that’s a hit from behind – there is no other way to define it.

secret mod

136. G-Man says:

“Lateral”? Geez- after watching it a number of times, there’s no lateral about it.

Let’s agree to disagree.

For the “watch golf” poster, Curtis- a good hit is when both players are aware of what’s coming and neither backs down. This was a cowardly attack from behind, but I guess you see that as “entertaining”, right?

137. Max_a_million says:

Funny that if you think the hit was not dirty, then it is open season for everyone to call you every name in the book … knuckle dragger, idiot, neanderthal, goon, etc.

Heaven forbid you say anything in return.  Hmmm so those are the rules heh.

138. bwoar says:

It’s not a hockey play.  You may think “hitting” is all the rage, but you don’t or won’t realize that bodychecking, not “hitting” is what makes that contact legal in the first place.

The tough-guy crowd here loves the hitting, they know little of bodychecking, the hockey play.  You can’t bodycheck a guy without the puck.  Why not?  Because the purpose of bodychecking is to gain puck possession from another player.

That hit has no place in the game of hockey.  By slamming a player when they are most vulnerable you are attempting to injure them.  Does Pomminville have the good sense to keep his head up and protect himself?  No, he didn’t, and the blame is partially his.  But does Hjalmarsson let up on a player he clearly has dead to rights?  No, he doesn’t.  He didn’t NEED to destroy the guy to take him out of the play, he did it anyway with a purposeful hit, with the result that he hurt the player as much as possible.

I grew up idolizing Scott Stevens.  I defended his hit on Lindros because the big dummy had his head down.  But over time I realized the game was slipping away.  Skate, pass, check, shoot, score.  The more I see young players in junior and below get hurt and/or run around trying to kill guys, the less I want to do with the Scott Stevens’ of the world.  Lay a lick on a guy when he’s asking for it in the trolley tracks, hell yeah.  But initiate shoulder-to-shoulder contact.  Does anyone in the NHL even throw hip checks anymore?  They should.

Bodychecking is part of hockey and should be taught correctly and used correctly.  The hit in question was a case of a guy spotting a winger on the wall in a vulnerable position and gunning for him.  It’s okay to go in with reckless abandon, as long as the puck is in the vicinity – that seems to be today’s standard.  Alex Ovechkin is allowed to play that way because it sells tickets, no matter who gets hurt or why.   But the game is poorer for it.  Hjalmarsson had the option of hitting Pomminville cleanly.  It may still have resulted in injury, as we know, hockey is a rough sport.  But lay the body cleanly, and legally or you should be suspended at length.

Don’t get me started on stick infractions….

139. G-Man says:

Still a long wait for Wednesday night’s home opener. After those lame “water” based festivites of the laffs and pens, it’s time to see a home opener done right. Oh, and beating TB and wonderboys Boucher and Yzerman would be nice, too.

What is so questionable about the Pominville hit? It was a cheap shot from behind delivered by a player who doesn’t give a rat’s a$$. 3 to 5 games would be a nice suspension. Longer if he does it again.

140. SmartDog says:

Just read Carbo’s article about the first two games.  Waste of time. It’s as empty as my cup of coffee so far.  I guess I need to make some.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

141. Habsrule1 says:

I’m looking very forward to the HUGE ovation that Price will get tomorrow. If not for him, we come home 0-2.

142. G-Man says:

You mean, if not for Fleury…

143. Everlasting1 says:

The hit on Pominville was shoulder to shoulder though he came at him somewhat from behind. No doubt he saw him coming and made no effort to avoid contact. Skating backwards like that also put him in a precarious position. Seeing as he didn’t have the puck should be a factor as well in determining the severity of the hit.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

144. G-Man says:

There is no “somewhat.” This was a cheap shot from behind, period.

He had not received the puck yet, so it was interference on top of being a hit from behind.

If I use my forehead to headbutt the back of your head, is it still a head to head hit?

145. Curtis O Habs says:

I agree.  He looks and sees the hit coming and does nothing to avoid it.  he was probably trying to draw a penalty and got hurt instead.  Skating backwards like that towards the point is what you expect from Sunday morning shinny players.  Its a tough game played by big men.  My advice is don`t try to draw a hitting from behind penalty and give Pominville two for unsportsmanlike and two for delay of game.  All those people who don`t like the hit can watch golf.

146. habaddict_andy says:

Based on his body language there is no way he was expecting a check.  Just standing there vulneratble knowing he is about to get hit does not make any sense.  Reacting through body language when getting hit is the same as blinking when someone throw something at your face.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

He lined him up from across the rink for pete sake. The intent was to injure.

148. HabFanSince72 says:

That’s insane.

Pominville was backing up to accept a pass. He was looking forward at the puck. The other guy nailed him from behind when he didn’t even have the puck.

149. nick says:

I’m sorry, sure he looked back, and probably saw 7-8 other guys… But based on the angle he got hit, theres no way he was expecting, or saw  that coming.

If hes facing he 12 o’clock, he got hit from his 5 o’clock.

The guy showed no intention of slowing up… Granted, it looked like he was trying to hit his shoulder, regardless… Pominville still got hit from behind from a guy going full tilt with the intention to hit the guy hard.

43.1 Checking from Behind – A check from behind is a check
    delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore
    unable to protect or defend himself, and contact is made on the back
    part of the body. When a player intentionally turns his body to create
    contact with his back, no penalty shall be assessed.

Don’t try to say that he turned his back intentionally to draw a penalty because thats pure BS.

150. habsguy says:

I guess your favorite player would be Steve Downie,  you probably also like to look at car accidents…

151. SeriousFan09 says:

Kostitsyn’s stickhandling towards the end of the 3rd set up the Gorges shot for Cammy’s deflection and tying goal, he had some good moments.

TB doesn’t have any real D beyond their 1st pair and their checking lines aren’t going to really put any real pressure on MTL. Their Top-6 will have issues if they don’t have Ds to move the puck to them and if the Canadiens correctly focus on giving them a hard time. If their top D pair isn’t out, it isn’t going to slow down our Top-6 guys. Their top skaters will be touble, but no other element of their team seriously challenges MTL.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

152. petrov14 says:

We cant let Toronto beat us in an all star logo vote! http://www.icethetics.info/vote/2010/10/12/polls-nhl-asgtol-quarterfinals.html To vote for Canadiens 2009 logo.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

153. oshawahabsfan says:

Nicely put, there is no defence for this type of play