Back to the ice

The Canadiens practice this morning in Brossard, sweating off the turkey and whatever ele was ingested during their two-day hiatus.

The home opener is tomorrow night, with Guy Boucher and his Tampa Bay Lightning at the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens have also scheduled a press conference with Bell to announce “a series of three innovations aimed at bringing fans closer to their team than ever before.”

Maybe the cell phone numbers of all the players so we can call them up with helpful tips?

Homecoming for Boucher

Guy Carbonneau assesses the first two games

BGL gone, Breezer hanging in at Battle of the Blades

• A new creepy Ovechkin commercial

• Another questionable hit: Pominville injured

Wisniewski doesn’t remember

Hicks having trouble selling Stars

Devils a joke?

1. Chorske says:

I’m gonna wait until tonight’s game before getting all ZOMFG!!1!

2. Danno says:

A sign of things to come if the league keeps allowing cheap shots.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

3. TomNickle says:

Who was on the record while in Dallas saying that he thought that Halak would be a future Vezina winner.

His history with goalies would suggest to me that he’s slightly off the mark.

4. oshawahabsfan says:

Some people still live in the stone age I guess, your knuckles must be sore

5. Chorske says:

Not sure I buy the connection between Pouliot and Dag. Dag had hit his ceiling, which wasn’t high to begin with. PouPou is a (probably vastly overrated) former 1st round pick with (supposedly) mad skills who won’t do basic things like battle for the puck and play with focus and intensity. I really don’t see the link at all.

6. notbigbird says:

I can’t see any question about it being a blindside hit covered by the new rules. He couldn’t possibly have seen the guy coming from that angle even with the supposed peek which if anything was looking for his own man or the other opponent. While I don’t think there was intent to injure, but neither do I think most highsticking or delay of game infractions were deliberate, so it’s definitely punishable. If the league is really serious about this, it should be at least 5 games IMO.

7. andrewberkshire says:

The GM of the Blues is Doug Armstrong.

8. oshawahabsfan says:

Throw the book at that guy, this was essentially a hit from behind. They need to set a real standard the way junior hockey has been dealing with cheapshots. There’s no way for Pominville to see the hit coming and protect himself. What will it take for these meatheads to stop delivering these dangerous checks

9. Harani says:

On twitter:

Stubbs reports that Markov and Hammr practicing at full speed.

JFChaumont reports that Hammr skating with O’B so might be in the line-up tomoro.

MAGodin ask : How would the Habs look today if they had completed the rumoured transaction of Plekanec, Gorges, Subban et Halak for Lecavalier et etc. Very shitty is my guess!

“It must be love!”

10. Chorske says:

Lets turn the question around. Do you think it’s acceptable for a young player to play BADLY without the puck?

Come on. This whole “JM is ruining the kids” line is so tired.

11. Danno says:

Concussion from a bad hit from Chicago’s Andrew Ladd early in the season.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

12. HabFanSince72 says:

It takes a year to recover from concussion. Maybe what we are seeing is Dags returning to the level he should have been at.

13. Fire_Laraque says:

I heard Toronto also raised a banner: “We didn’t finish last 2009-2010”

14. HabFanSince72 says:

Not only that, but they weren’t Eastern Conference Champions, the Caps were.

15. Fire_Laraque says:

Yeah but my reflection was more regarding OUR players then D’agostini.

16. Fire_Laraque says:

Yeah, just wonderin’ if there isn’t another way to develop a player then to have ridulous expectations from him and start moving him around without giving him the time to settle.  But hey, what do I know?

17. Watsatheo says:

Actually he has two assets, very good shot (right handed too) and very fast.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Flyers raised an “Eastern Conference Champions” Banner in their home opener last night.

Someone should tell them there’s only one banner that means anything after a season is over and that isn’t it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. SLONCOLD says:

didn’t he get hurt in mtl too and then was never the same after as well?

20. Harani says:

That Ovie commercial is freakin’ creepy!

“It must be love!”

21. SLONCOLD says:

Boyd’s been working pretty hard and not shying away from the the dirty zones on the boards. maybe before they move him up full time on the first line they’ll get him some time on the PP with gomez.

22. SeriousFan09 says:

D’Agostini has a shot, that’s about it. He barely scored a goal after Koivu was no longer his center, lifting him into something relevant on the Habs. If you’re going to be a 1-dimensional sniper you’d better be a hell of a sniper but he isn’t that good and he doesn’t have the game for the bottom-6.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

23. Jordio-oh says:

Sometimes a fresh start ignites a bit of an initial hot-streak, but normally taper off in cases like D’Agostini’s. I’d be surprised if he manges over 15 goals.

ps, your reference to JM wasn’t lost on me.

24. TomNickle says:

I think you’re misunderstanding the point I’m making.  You want to win trades, but you don’t want your trading partner to lose on them all of the time.  You want the player you’re trading away to be productive so that teams will continue to trade with you.

25. krob1000 says:

on IR, broke his toe on OCt 3rd.  Will get a chance to play top 6 there, Bouillon and Erat have been “assigned” as his mentors.  They are very excited about him and wil give him every opportunity to play top six minutes…he played very well in the preseason according to everyone but some QMJHL kid who is also a Predator prospect? weird stuff that was…he said Sergei was soft….most accounts I have read..say flashes of brilliance and the Preds have high hopes …and expectations for him.

26. Fire_Laraque says:

Tongue in cheek question here;

I wonder if the Blues coach asks D’agostini to play well without the puck and benches him when he has a bad shift???

Just wonderin’ ’cause we seem to be losing Poupouliot the same way we lost other kids by benching him and switching him lines as quickly as possible to make sure he’s good without the puck.

27. Watsatheo says:

Jedi Cammalleri Episode II with sound:

28. Dr-Watson says:

What a ridiculous and irrational statement to make!

29. TomNickle says:

I don’t believe I’ve read about him complaining that teams are too rough after the whistle or that a certain fight went over the top.

He’s referring to hits that are a result of a lot of players not respecting each other on the ice, and that has become a big problem in this league.

If you think that kind of hit is okay, I’m assuming you were never on the receiving end of one, and never dished one out.  Because if you had taken a hit like that, you would understand the potential danger and if you had given one, you would’ve had to stick up for yourself pretty quickly.

30. SLONCOLD says:

you should read more of my posts. because while the entire HIO community was complaining about the blind side hit on cammy, i thought it was clean.

31. TomNickle says:

I would really like to see if Jacques considers putting Pouliot and Eller with Halpern.  I think it could be a really good project.  In addition, I wouldn’t mind seeing Boyd moved up to the wing with Gomez and Gionta.  Boyd’s been good through the middle of the ice but his faceoff ability is lacking a wee bit.

32. Max_a_million says:

When somone cries about every patch of roughness, the message gets lost in the crying.

If ringette is too harsh, perhaps woman’s college hockey?

33. warriorhockey says:

ok so quick question… has sk74 played a game yet ?????

34. MathMan says:

Am I the only one who’s worried that it might not take more than one game we’ll all pine for the “one that got away” and his puck-pressure system who was let go for the coach who has a, well, “system” of some sort?

Or that the Habs’ vaunted 1000-game coach might well get his X-and-O board handed to him on a platter by a guy with two games of NHL experience?

I’m really hoping we start seeing some benefit from Martin this year, I really do. His system has been abysmal for the Habs so far and they need to not be a worst-in-NHL type team at evens this year. Because I think the guy who should’ve been coaching the Habs after last year’s, shall we say, less-than-inspiring coaching performance, is now coaching Tampa and I think the Habs will regret that for years.

35. SLONCOLD says:

do u like the hit and want to see your son or a friend in minor hockey experience the same tough hit? i love hits just not cheap shots.

36. TomNickle says:

Perhaps you should consider that Jason Pominville would like to walk upright when he’s done his career.

The risk of getting hit like that is part of the game but that doesn’t mean it should be tolerated without consequence.  It was a dirty hit that has the potential to end a player’s career.

Perhaps he would like to see consistency in the suspensions and a harsher punishment so that the NHL does get rid of these kinds of hits.  That may never come, but he’s justified in wanting them gone.

37. rocketsglare says:

Hjalmarsson IMO just took a dangerous shot at a vulnerable player. Noticed how Hjalmarsson raised his

shoulder at the moment of impact to maximize the force of the hit. He could have easly eased up on the

hit with out having to blast him into the boards. Regardless if Pominville saw Hjalmarsson coming it was

to little and certainly to late to do anything about it given the speed of Hjalmarsson’s approach.

Again, IMO an unwaranted and definitely dangerous hit with intent to injure. When is the league going to

stop these types of hits which to me seem like free shots at vulnerable players.

38. Max_a_million says:

Dude this is hockey.  People will get hit, and hurt.  You cry everytime something rough happens.

Perhaps you should follow ringette instead of hockey?

39. TomNickle says:

He was putting the surgery off for when he retired.  I believe he played two full seasons prior to having the surgery or ahem…..retiring.

40. Jordio-oh says:

And with the slow motion, side angle view i posted, you can see that Pominville did glance up before he got hit. However, that’s not to say he was expecting to get slammed, or that he was purposely remaining in a vulnerable position in order to draw a penalty

41. SLONCOLD says:

didn’t hatcher have knee replacement?

42. TomNickle says:

There’s no way they give him 10.  If Ovechkin were to do it later in the year they’d have to give him 10 minimum.  They won’t be prepared to do that.

5 is fair and a good number for a guy who doesn’t have much of a history.

43. PeterStone says:

that hit is as dirty as they get.  When you see the guys number, odds are you shouldnt drive him into the boards.  If you see both his numbers … 5 games minimum, personally would like to see 8.

That Ovechkin commercial is hilarious !

44. TomNickle says:

If I’m the Devils I’m sitting down with Zubrus and Salvador and telling them that they’ll collect their full paychecks to sit at home and fake injuries like the Flyers did with Rathje and Hatcher to get under the cap.

The Flyers did it without consequence.

At slow speed you see the hit better, but at top speed he came a long way to nail him in the back.

Dirty hit, and the league needs to send a message or the courts needs to send the league a message before someone is killed.

46. pmaraw says:

ya he did get pay from us

47. SLONCOLD says:

Now that is a blind side hit/from behind… no place in the game for it. i say min 5 games. although i would love to see that get 10.

48. TomNickle says:

THANK YOU Robert.  It bothers me that teams can buyout a player to get to the cap floor(Islanders) or put players who aren’t injured on LTIR(Flyers) to circumvent the cap without punishment but the Devils are giving away a draft at the whim of the NHL.

49. Mark C says:

Sure, at least at ES he did last season. Spacek actually averaged 25 more seconds of ES time than Markov did last season. Markov gains the extra time by adding over a minute each of PP and PK time. If Subban is on the 1st PP unit and Spacek is still behind Gorges, Gill, Hamrlik, and Markov on the PK, I would think Spacek could handle being paired with Markov ES.

50. SLONCOLD says:

that is something i will be able to live with. speaking of trades though. what’s NJ gonna do?

51. Danno says:

The guy is vaguely familiar. Didn’t he play for us at one time?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

52. habs youngtimer says:

if that’s the case, warrant: out for Blues GM Davidson for stealing Halak for a minor leaguer!

53. SLONCOLD says:

5 games. accident or not players have to be carefull and respectful of others

54. TomNickle says:

This Hjarlmarsson thing is very touchy for the NHL.  They need to be careful how many games they give him.

Remember, Ovechkin will almost certainly hit somebody in the same way at some point this year and he’ll be a repeat offender.  Same with Marian Hossa, although he doesn’t make it a habit to skate all over the ice with reckless abandon.

55. habs youngtimer says:

word is, Markov returns to the lineup Saturday. yahoo!

56. SeriousFan09 says:

A joke is the New York Islanders, they spit in the league’s face and the fan’s faces to avoid spending money. They sent multiple players on tryout contracts in that D-squad we whipped in Quebec City and pretty much made it a giant mockery of the pre-season (an accomplishment in itself!) than using close to 6 million in buyouts from Witt/Yashin to meet the cap floor this season.

If you watch the Devils, you get to see Parise and Kovalchuk, you watch the Islanders, you get to see their latest Top 10 pick from the draft struggle to play at a competition level he can’t handle yet, on the EL contract he’s signed to, inflated for the cap on bonus measures he’ll never meet because the team is so bad he’s lucky to get 45 points.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

57. TomNickle says:

You don’t want to start winning trades in lopsided fashion on a consistent basis.  Or at the very least, you want the player you traded away to be somewhat productive for his new team.

If you start hitting homeruns on trades and the other team keeps striking out, nobody will trade with you.  Darcy Regier in Buffalo doesn’t swing as many deals as he used to and that’s a big reason why.

58. pmaraw says:

of course they won’t notice it, its censor’d out… lol

59. pmaraw says:

and d’agostini scored 2 goals as st louis won 5-1, don’t ask me who was in net.

60. HabFanSince72 says:

Except can Spacek play Markov minutes for long?

61. Jordio-oh says:

Here’s a better video of the Pominville play:

62. flanman says:

Did Tony claim to know this or was he just speculating?

63. 21BIGGionta says:

So I’m at the John Abbott library on the computer. Everyone else around me is doing homework and I’m on this site…oops?

anyways, carbo’s thing; boringg
    BGL; it was either he got kicked out or injured himself 😉 groin

I hate to say it.. but Avery has a point, if it was him he would be in a heep of trouble, but it’s someone else Betman isn’t even commenting on it. And something tells me it will go unnoticed, but hey thats the nhl some favourites (Crosby ovechkin….) and some like Avery (With good reason, don’t get me wrong)

64. forskis says:

Looking at the Devils’ situation…I do not see how it is a jome or embarassing for the League, it is a sign that the cap “works”…if you mismanage your cap and players, then you deserve to play shorthanded and lose games, otherwise the rule of not being allowed to play for being over the cap is meaningless…the Devils’ management made their bed and now they have to sleep in it.

I think the Pominville hit is suspendable…people say that he saw it coming, I do not know about you, but if a player is 40 ft. away, I really do not think he is going to blast me into tomorrow through the boards.  The hit was from the blindside/behind and should he should get a few games…we have seen similar hits get game misconducts, but if a stretcher has to come out…suspend him.  However, I do not think that there was an intent to injure, if there was, Hjarlsson would have left his feet and annihilated him but he did not.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

65. fuhgawz says:

yes we are winning this deal so far — i wasnt sure why Calgary ever let go of the kid in the first place and then for the Preds to do so as well made me think humm maybe he isnt very good, but so far he has been one of the best Habs this season

66. habs03 says:

I agree with you guys, Markov-Spacek, Hamrlik-Subban makes the most sense.

67. SmartDog says:

Couldn’t it be

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

68. SeriousFan09 says:

They won’t shift Hamrlik to the right side, it didn’t even work out that well with Spacek and I don’t think it’s been pushed for more than a game or two with Hamrlik there. If anything, JM might be tempted to begin the mentoring of Markov to Subban by pairing them up, Hamrlik-Subban, Markov-Spacek could also be pairings.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

69. pic1983 says:

I disagree.  Whenever a player makes a hit like that, they arent exactly doing it to tickle the guy.  They are doing it to hurt them.  However, hitting is part of the game.  The only problem with the hit IMO, is that its from a funny angle.  I agree though that hjalmarasson isnt exactly a dirty player, but he should still get two games just because of the fact that it was blindside in my opinion, and pominville had to be taken off on a stretcher.

70. joshua94k says:

Newsflash : Arrest warrant out for Canadiens GM Gauthier

The Nashville police have issued an arrest warrant to the Canadiens GM Gauthier for stealing Dustin Boyd in a trade for Serge Kostitsyn. Violations include misleading the public, making false statements about player ablilities etc….

“It’s too much for one guy to shoulder. For us, we’re going to do it as a group. It’s about sharing that responsibility win or lose.” – Mike Cammallerie

71. habs03 says:

So Tony Mariano says Markov is back on Saturday, I just hope noone gets hurt tomorrow so on Saturday we can have a full lineup! Then we can role 3 good stable d pairings, Markov-Hamrlik, Spacek-Subban,Gill Gorges. I wonder how Hamrlik is going to deal with playing the right side if he plays with Markov.

72. JIMVINNY says:

I don’t think there’s any way to say that WASN’T intent to injure. He came at him from 40 feet away, Pominville’s positioning never changed, and he hit him in such a way that while the head was not the principle point of contact, it certainly smashed into the boards first.
    Yes, Pommer knew he was coming, but that doesn’t excuse the hit at all. It was interference, boarding, and intent to injure all wrapped up in one. 5 games at the bare minimum.

73. joeybarrie says:

Very bad hit. Very ugly repercussions. However, it doesn’t look like it was his intent to injure. These guys are competitive, and sometimes you go too far. Mistakes happen, and you have a good chance for a good, BIG, and loud hit to get your team and the crowd roaring. He comes in from a bad angle and it ends up being a function of a few different things. Don’t get me wrong, he wasn’t trying to give him a handshake, let’s remember these guys go at each other with intensity. I don’t think he was trying to injure him. AGAIN, people make mistakes. I can’t remember him ever being involved in anything dirty, so… Benefit of the doubt, maybe a game suspension. But I doubt it. First offence, he will most likely get nothing, and deserve it.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

74. 123456 says:

i can not believe people are defending the hit on pommer. it was from behind, he did not have the puck… thats a hit you just can not deliver. i lost respect for quenneville for saying it was not even a penalty. a coach needs to take the high road (as he did by saying noone wants to see a player get hurt).

75. HabFanSince72 says:

Is it time for players to sue the league, the opposing team, and the offending player in cases like Pominville’s?

By repeatedly giving slaps on the wrists for these kinds of hits the league has essentially facilitated them.

76. G-Man says:

“Lateral”? Geez- after watching it a number of times, there’s no lateral about it.

Let’s agree to disagree.

For the “watch golf” poster, Curtis- a good hit is when both players are aware of what’s coming and neither backs down. This was a cowardly attack from behind, but I guess you see that as “entertaining”, right?

77. Everlasting1 says:

We can agree to disagree, but he WAS aware it was coming.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

78. pmaraw says:

I see boarding, charging and interference, as well as intent to injure.  he was gunning for him well before that puck started dribbling in his direction.  I hope pominville has a good hospital

79. Everlasting1 says:

I wouldn’t classify that as a hit from behind. It was more a lateral shoulder to shoulder hit. No doubt an interference/boarding major penalty and perhaps a game misconduct.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

80. 123456 says:

popmmer was againt the boards facing the corner getting ready for a pass right? did the Dman come from the slot or the blue line? he came from the blueline. that’s a hit from behind – there is no other way to define it.

secret mod

81. Castor says:

Why are you here? What ever happened to supporting the team? The guy played GREAT on Saturday! Take that and roll with it for goodness sake.

82. G-Man says:

That’s the big question we all can’t answer. Why are you here, Castor?

This is not a fan site exclusiveley and I call weak goals allowed like I see them. Both goalies allowed softies, with Fleury’s being an even worse gaffe than Price’s. Like I mentioned before, the game should have been 2-1 Habs and not 3-2.

83. Habsrule1 says:

Well, he helped, but if not for Price, it would not have come down to that goal.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

84. pmaraw says:

cause price didnt keep them in the game with 38? saves

85. G-Man says:

Price allowed the 2nd- which was a weak one. Fleury allowed the 3rd one, which was All-Star weak.

If it were a great goaltending duel, Habs would have won 2-1. Because of both goalies’ brain farts- 3-2 Habs.

Price did play well, but this penchant for softies has to stop or the team will be between a rock and hard place. Habs D will improve a lot when Markov and Hamrlik are back. Until then, the pairing of O’Byrne and Picard is out there and that’s not that good a thing.

86. Danno says:

Many of Price’s 38 saves were huge. He kept them in the game in spite of one goal he would like to get back. This happens to all goalies even you-know-who.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

87. Habsrule1 says:

I didn’t think that goal was soft. Price could have made a great save on it, but that doesn’t make it a weak goal.

The fact is if not for Price, this game would have gotten out of hand quickly. It could have very easily been a 5-3 pens final.

88. Castor says:

But that’s the most ludicrous argument in sports. PK hit a post, Pleks hit a post. So should the game have been 5 to 2 instead? Do we blame Plekanec for missing that shot that he clearly should have had? No. If Price had let in 5 goals I’d be all over blaming him, and he’d blame himself. To take a performance like his on Saturday and sour it by insinuating that “Fleury lost the game” is an example of your horrible view of your team. Not an example of “calling it as you see it”

But, you’re right, it’s not exclusively a fan site so you can say what you want. Not being a Habs fan and all.

89. habs03 says:

By your logic, the game should have been 3-2 Pens, with Pricing saving that 3rd goal in the game but Crosby should have scored on the 2 open net chances Carey robbed him on….

90. 123456 says:

yes the gomez goal was horriffic – but the pens second goal was not a bad goal – it was a nice shot from 8 feet out – how was price supposed to save that? price made at least 5 crazy saves to keep the habs in the game. the win gets attributed to price.

91. G-Man says:

I have been a fan for almost all of my 50 years, Castor.

Look- you said it yourself- Fleury lost the game with that terrible goal he allowed.
    My “horrible” view is that the Habs are not much better than a middle of the pack team with a good possibility of finishing out of the playoffs because of management’s decisions over the summer. If you don’t agree, say why. Saying I am not a “fan” or a “true fan” is a no-go.
    Price’s performance Saturday was a good building block for him. Let’s see if he can put 2 or 3 solid games behind him. He wasn’t able to do it all last season and half the season previous.

92. 123456 says:

agreed he played great. made a few crazy saves that a lot of times would be goals. i hope this is the start of somethgin special

93. larisalapointe says:

So  a 2-1 win over a 3-2 win is the major point here?

Both gets you 2 in the standings. Yes winning is important, but those last 2 back to back goals gave the game alot of spice. Don’t you think?

Whoever gets the most pucks in the opponents net wins….or has something changed?

94. larisalapointe says:

The same way Price played on Saturday against Pens is the same way he played 1 year ago, except this time the team in front scored. I’ll take the soft flukey goals and the win.

Price was never the problem. Since you’ve been a longtime fan. Question? Where would Ken Dryden have been without the Big Three, and all the superstar forwards scoring one after the other?

95. G-Man says:

Where were you in ’71?

When the Big 3 weren’t there and the Habs were underdogs?

96. larisalapointe says:

I was there. A bit too young to remember it all. But why did you choose that year to make a point and not all of the seventies? A goaltender is supposed to be Spiderman, Superman and Batman all rolled up into one?

You still didn’t answer the original question. 2-1 win vs 3-2 win. What the heck is the difference?

97. nick says:

Seriously… Where does that silver spoon lacky get away with letting in 2 goals after having been peppered with 38 by a team of pissed off penguins determined to get a little pay back?

What reasonable number are we looking for? 1 goal for every 60 – 70 shots?

98. G-Man says:

The difference is that neither goalie would have let in a softie. I want to see Price play a 60 minute game and not let in 1 or 2 softies. That’s the point.

Was the game a building block for Price? Yes. Can he play better? Yes.

I want the #1 goalie for the Habs to not allow 60 to 120 softies a year. Is that a crime around here?

99. larisalapointe says:

You know what, forget it, You don’t appreciate Price and no matter what is said, you’ll stick to that. You want him to get a shut-out every game. Well g-man, even at that the team in front still has to score.

100. pmaraw says:

I know, my favourite was the one that crosby thought he scored on.  lol, also loved crosby’s post game interview lol, the reporters should carry tissues when they go see him.

101. pmaraw says:

it was a tough shot from a good position on the ice.  I think the guy was lucky, right place right time, but I dont blame price for that goal, nor did I consider it soft.

102. G-Man says:

I’ll appreciate him when he wins something in the NHL, not the minor leagues.

103. J Haul says:

Why is it that virtually every goal that Carey lets in is deemed a “weak goal”? These are pro players that make great shots. Just because something might be savable doesn’t mean it has to be weak.

Also, using a similar view to the one you’ve used here, shouldn’t one of those “sure goals” that Price stopped have cancelled out what you consider a weak goal?

With this mindset, and the number of massive saves from Price, the game should have actually ended with a score of something like 2 to -3 for the Habs. Add in the posts we hit and make that a 7 goal spread. Holy smokes, what a great performance!

104. larisalapointe says:

For starters, a 7th game shut-out in the playoffs. Only a handful have done that before him and not at 21.

105. SeriousFan09 says:

Tampa’s not the worst thing coming at us this week, after Hedman and Ohlund (who hasn’t played a game yet) their best defencemen is Pavel Kubina plus their goalie has a ton of problems. That first-wave PP unit will be a pain but our checking lines can pretty easily outmatch theirs and give the Habs a few ways to overwhelm them during the game.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

106. habitual says:

Overwhelm them?  Don’t see that happening.  The majority of skaters on our top two lines have not played well. The two goals in TO came from the third and forth lines. Gomez and Kostitsyn look the same as last year and while Pouliot is skating better he isn’t generating scoring chances.  Pleks and Cammy need these guys to step it up.

Battle of the blades,,

Brisbois was very impressive and is getting very good in fact. He should stick around for a couple of weeks.

But V. Bure and his partner should take this thing. Very polished skating team out there.

108. habitual says:

Can’t say I agree Ian.   At the very least he did not hit him directly from behind.  What I saw was the hit coming mostly from the side.  I think the problem came by Pomminville’s shoulder being hit on an angle, spinning him into the boards.

At the very least the hit was charging and from behind. At the speed of the game today the league has to send a clear message before players die on the ice.

We all love great clean hits, but to charge at another player and cream him against the boards and glass like that, there can only be one out come. Death or serious injury. They have to get that crap out of the game!!

110. J Haul says:

Totally with you. The guy was pretty much headhunting (and no, I’m not omplying that he went after his head). When taking a run at someone from that far away and then popping him from behind, especially without the puck, you’ve got to know this is one possible outcome. That was a complete lack of respect for a fellow player. Suspension has got to be coming.

The only crappy part (outside of Pominvilee suffering a concussion) is that this incident will now overshadow the Wis “gesture”. I know everyone hates Avery, but if he got 5 for “sloppy seconds”, Wis should at least get a couple for something even more vulgar. I suspect the league will want to just sweep it under the rug though.

111. G-Man says:

Still a long wait for Wednesday night’s home opener. After those lame “water” based festivites of the laffs and pens, it’s time to see a home opener done right. Oh, and beating TB and wonderboys Boucher and Yzerman would be nice, too.

What is so questionable about the Pominville hit? It was a cheap shot from behind delivered by a player who doesn’t give a rat’s a$$. 3 to 5 games would be a nice suspension. Longer if he does it again.

112. SmartDog says:

Just read Carbo’s article about the first two games.  Waste of time. It’s as empty as my cup of coffee so far.  I guess I need to make some.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

113. Habsrule1 says:

I’m looking very forward to the HUGE ovation that Price will get tomorrow. If not for him, we come home 0-2.

114. G-Man says:

You mean, if not for Fleury…

115. Everlasting1 says:

The hit on Pominville was shoulder to shoulder though he came at him somewhat from behind. No doubt he saw him coming and made no effort to avoid contact. Skating backwards like that also put him in a precarious position. Seeing as he didn’t have the puck should be a factor as well in determining the severity of the hit.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

116. G-Man says:

There is no “somewhat.” This was a cheap shot from behind, period.

He had not received the puck yet, so it was interference on top of being a hit from behind.

If I use my forehead to headbutt the back of your head, is it still a head to head hit?

117. Curtis O Habs says:

I agree.  He looks and sees the hit coming and does nothing to avoid it.  he was probably trying to draw a penalty and got hurt instead.  Skating backwards like that towards the point is what you expect from Sunday morning shinny players.  Its a tough game played by big men.  My advice is don`t try to draw a hitting from behind penalty and give Pominville two for unsportsmanlike and two for delay of game.  All those people who don`t like the hit can watch golf.

118. habaddict_andy says:

Based on his body language there is no way he was expecting a check.  Just standing there vulneratble knowing he is about to get hit does not make any sense.  Reacting through body language when getting hit is the same as blinking when someone throw something at your face.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

He lined him up from across the rink for pete sake. The intent was to injure.

120. HabFanSince72 says:

That’s insane.

Pominville was backing up to accept a pass. He was looking forward at the puck. The other guy nailed him from behind when he didn’t even have the puck.

121. nick says:

I’m sorry, sure he looked back, and probably saw 7-8 other guys… But based on the angle he got hit, theres no way he was expecting, or saw  that coming.

If hes facing he 12 o’clock, he got hit from his 5 o’clock.

The guy showed no intention of slowing up… Granted, it looked like he was trying to hit his shoulder, regardless… Pominville still got hit from behind from a guy going full tilt with the intention to hit the guy hard.

43.1 Checking from Behind – A check from behind is a check
    delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore
    unable to protect or defend himself, and contact is made on the back
    part of the body. When a player intentionally turns his body to create
    contact with his back, no penalty shall be assessed.

Don’t try to say that he turned his back intentionally to draw a penalty because thats pure BS.

122. habsguy says:

I guess your favorite player would be Steve Downie,  you probably also like to look at car accidents…

123. SeriousFan09 says:

Kostitsyn’s stickhandling towards the end of the 3rd set up the Gorges shot for Cammy’s deflection and tying goal, he had some good moments.

TB doesn’t have any real D beyond their 1st pair and their checking lines aren’t going to really put any real pressure on MTL. Their Top-6 will have issues if they don’t have Ds to move the puck to them and if the Canadiens correctly focus on giving them a hard time. If their top D pair isn’t out, it isn’t going to slow down our Top-6 guys. Their top skaters will be touble, but no other element of their team seriously challenges MTL.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

124. longtimehabsfan says:

The Devils thing is a joke and not good for the game.  It reminds me of pickup hockey.

125. habsfan321 says:

Is there a time set for this Bell/Canadiens press conference?

126. crabvader says:

I have to say that Hjalmarsson’s hit was 100% clean. No head shot, no charging, never left his feet…and here is the key moment in the hit: POMINVILLE SEES HIM COMING!

There was no blind sided hit. Pominville went hip-to-hip and his head ended up hitting the glass.

This is an absolute joke that Hjalmarsson is facing disciplinary action. Pominville broke the cardinal rule of hockey: keep your head up. He saw the Swede coming and just ignored the hit.

I hope he recovers 100% but it was definitely his bad for not protecting himself from the hit.

Pretty soon, players will be penalized for simply throwing hits. What a joke.Now I have to say that the only thing wrong with the hit was that Pominville didn’t have the puck YET. It was heading his direction though and Hjalmarsson picked that up. Early hit is all the NHL can really say.

127. lefreak says:

are you blind?

that hit was squarely from the back…he lined him up with his numbers ffs.

check the rulebook man, blindside hits are a no no.

128. TomNickle says:

I think you should watch that clip again.  He looks to his right to see if he has anybody leaving the zone that he can pass to.  Not looking behind him to see if Hjalmarsson is skating with a full head of steam to level him from behind.

And it is 100% from behind.

129. krob1000 says:

???? clean??? he never had the puck, it was from behind, it was from more than charging distance, it was a vulnerable player and an uncessary hit in a dangerous position…that was pointless.   If there had been a bunch of traffic, the hit was coming from 6 feet away…and Pominville had the puck….maybe it then it is not dirty…but then again he wouldn’t have the velocity, Pominville might be expecting it…you know…if he had the puck? this site is weird today….there is a reason it was 5 and a game…this deserves 3-5 IMO.  This is the type of thing that has to be addressed…there was time, no real reason, the player was vulneralbe,etc…..if this is suspendable and our two a couple years back on the icings were then there are some serious inconsistency issues going on.  I don’t think he meant to actually hurt him…and he did meet his lower half first, but Pominville was not in a dumb position he just wasn’t expecting a dumb hit, he was actually close to the boards, was facing the puck and not the boards and it was an ugly hit…one that had some unusual circumstances, player backing up, Hjalmarsson coming from unusual angle as usually pinching dman would be coming from directly behind him,etc….the amount of time Hjalmarsson had, the distance he travelled, the angle he hit him at, the fact Pominville was vulnerable BECAUSE HE SHOULDN’T EXPECT TO GET HIT WHEN HE DOESN’T HAVE THE PUCK, the injury, the potential severity of injuries on these type of hits as opposed to Cammi’s three minor stick infractions that cumulativley warranted suspension…..this is life altering dangerous hitting…it has to go.  Hjalmarsson…again I don’t believe intended to hurt him but it was poor judgement and the type that can’t go unpunished …unless you are Alex Ovechkin.  People say the result doesn’t matter? the NHL has proven before it does to them……he will get something…what is the question as Hjalmarsson did hit lower first, it wasn’t diretly from behind,t ehre was an angle, he has a clean history, he already got a 5 and a game… was a weird circumstance..forward drifting backwards, him coming from across instead of from behind directly …etc….be interesting but I say 3-5 games….likely 3.

130. JasonM says:

1. Pomerville was looking to someone to pass to and not behind him.

2. You can tell by the replay that he hit him squarely over his right number. Basically at a 135 degree angle thus officially a blindside/boarding hit.

3. You can’t be that stupid to truly believe such a hit belongs in hockey. If you’re trolling, good job you got me. If you’re being honest, Sir, I shake my fist in your general direction and feel bad about your lack of insight and hockey knowledge.

131. JerryMcgoo says:

Pominville appears to do a quick check over his shoulder before the hit.  It’s not clear whether he sees the player coming in or not.  Even if he saw the hit coming, I can’t say that it’s a clean hit.

132. notbigbird says:

Disagree. He took a quick peek — a very quick peek — to his right but could not possibly have seen the guy coming from behind. This should be covered by the new league rules. I will agree that it was not an intent to injure, but it was a serious  infraction regardless.

133. andrewberkshire says:

No matter what you might deny about the facts of the hit being dirty, Pominville didn’t have the puck yet so it’s by  definition a dirty hit.

134. Mattyleg says:

Pominville didn’t have the puck!

It was not his “bad” (mistake) for not protecting himself. He didn’t have the puck, so he shouldn’t have been blindsided.

Who cares if he looked up? When I look at cars coming towards stop-signs as I come through intersections, I don’t expect them to keep coming!

Hjamawekaljdkga should have stopped short or at least pressed Pominville into the boards.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

135. habs913 says:

I disagree… the definition of boarding is tripping, hitting, hooking (anything that causes the player to hit into the boards)… pominville was a couple feet away from the boards and Hjalmarsson hit him projecting him into the boards. The call was right… since the player was injured, Hjalmarsson is lucky he only got 5 and a game and not a match penalty.

136. oshawahabsfan says:

He didn’t see him coming, he took a peak to decide what to do with the puck once he got it. It’s called breaking out of the defensive zone. He didn’t have to puck so regardless of where the contact occurred, this was a bad play. The fact the Hjaskhflkdh didn’t let up at all upon seeing that Pominville’s numbers were still facing him shows he’s a coward and has no respect on the ice. When you see the numbers you don’t throw a bodycheck, it’s pretty damn simple. When a player doesn’t have the puck, you don’t bodycheck them, another pretty damn simple concept. Apparently he, and some people on here don’t have the brain capacity to understand such concepts

137. bwoar says:

Early hit is all the NHL can really say.”  Making it completly illegal.  See my long post above on bodychecking.  Dunno where everyone gets the idea that any and all contact is legal so long as the puck is almost in the same zip code.

138. McPhee35 says:

This comment is what makes it hard to watch modern day hockey, sometimes.

There is a lack of respect amoung players… Even if Pomminville saw the hit coming (which is questionable), he made the assumption that Hijalmarsson could see his vulnerability and bump him, not crush him.  Players are out to hurt other players more then ever, and it’s sad to have so many talented players sidelined all the time.

Don’t get me wrong, I love physical, tough, fight-littered hockey games… but when it’s evident that the respect is gone for many players, hockey turns nastier then it need be.

139. lefreak says:

i have a feeling that many of the people that said that the hit on pominville was clean, would be clamoring for a lifetime ban if this happened to cammilieri of another hab.

140. joeybarrie says:

Go to a bar and have some drunken buffoon try to pick up a pretty girl, have him get all handsy and then finally insulting when she doesn’t want to dance… Shame, and I would laugh at him… Make it my wife, and he gets a punch in the face…

Now is it right???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

141. TomNickle says:

EXACTLY.  Pominville did everything on that play by the book.  Backchecked through the middle, kept his body facing the play and was available for a pass.  Kept a safe distance between his body and the boards, look for a breakout pass with the puck coming to him and also for a check coming from his side.

142. lefreak says:

pominville is a very important player for the sabres. The league tends to hand out stiffer penalties when top line players are targeted, so i would not be too surprised to see 5. This is a huge loss for the sabres.

143. lefreak says:

i’m going to have to invoke the good ole fashioned “wat?” here:p

144. TomNickle says:

On a much more relevant note.  Who do you guys think Monsieur Martin will throw out on the ice against the Stamkos line tomorrow night?

I’m going Pleks, Cammy, AK with Gill and Gorges.

145. SeriousFan09 says:

Likely, Pleks is the top two-way man and Gill-Gorges will be looking to give another NHL superstar an aneurysm with their coverage. Than we can have Gomez V Lecavalier and the endless stat comparisons of the 7-million dollar centers head to head.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

146. TomNickle says:

Transition game will be strong against that line if Gill and Gorges can get the puck up ice quickly.  St.Louis and Stamkos shoot quite a bit so they’ll look to take advantage of their misfires.

I like Gomez, Gionta and whoever up against Lecavalier’s line with Subban and Hamrlik at the back.

Subban could get into their heads maybe.

147. bwoar says:

Ditto.  Martin is a strength-on-strength guy.

148. Max_a_million says:

Funny that if you think the hit was not dirty, then it is open season for everyone to call you every name in the book … knuckle dragger, idiot, neanderthal, goon, etc.

Heaven forbid you say anything in return.  Hmmm so those are the rules heh.

149. bwoar says:

It’s not a hockey play.  You may think “hitting” is all the rage, but you don’t or won’t realize that bodychecking, not “hitting” is what makes that contact legal in the first place.

The tough-guy crowd here loves the hitting, they know little of bodychecking, the hockey play.  You can’t bodycheck a guy without the puck.  Why not?  Because the purpose of bodychecking is to gain puck possession from another player.

That hit has no place in the game of hockey.  By slamming a player when they are most vulnerable you are attempting to injure them.  Does Pomminville have the good sense to keep his head up and protect himself?  No, he didn’t, and the blame is partially his.  But does Hjalmarsson let up on a player he clearly has dead to rights?  No, he doesn’t.  He didn’t NEED to destroy the guy to take him out of the play, he did it anyway with a purposeful hit, with the result that he hurt the player as much as possible.

I grew up idolizing Scott Stevens.  I defended his hit on Lindros because the big dummy had his head down.  But over time I realized the game was slipping away.  Skate, pass, check, shoot, score.  The more I see young players in junior and below get hurt and/or run around trying to kill guys, the less I want to do with the Scott Stevens’ of the world.  Lay a lick on a guy when he’s asking for it in the trolley tracks, hell yeah.  But initiate shoulder-to-shoulder contact.  Does anyone in the NHL even throw hip checks anymore?  They should.

Bodychecking is part of hockey and should be taught correctly and used correctly.  The hit in question was a case of a guy spotting a winger on the wall in a vulnerable position and gunning for him.  It’s okay to go in with reckless abandon, as long as the puck is in the vicinity – that seems to be today’s standard.  Alex Ovechkin is allowed to play that way because it sells tickets, no matter who gets hurt or why.   But the game is poorer for it.  Hjalmarsson had the option of hitting Pomminville cleanly.  It may still have resulted in injury, as we know, hockey is a rough sport.  But lay the body cleanly, and legally or you should be suspended at length.

Don’t get me started on stick infractions….

150. petrov14 says:

We cant let Toronto beat us in an all star logo vote! To vote for Canadiens 2009 logo.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

151. oshawahabsfan says:

Nicely put, there is no defence for this type of play

152. Hagar says:

Honestly, I’m not entirely convinced that this hit is as a dirty as a lot of people make it out to be. He clearly hits him from the side. Pom’s right shoulder was down slightly just before contact was made and their hips are almost perfectly parallel. The puck was also in his possession (or woulda been in another split fraction of a second). It also couldn’t be described as charging or boarding. To me this looks like a clean hit that ended badly. Mind you, my understanding of rules regarding hitting are imperfect, so I could be wrong.

153. WarHero says:

Well folks….

In regards to that Hockey news I mentioned last week, I took a chance
    and because of it, I have been asked to write both live game blogs and
    non-live blogs for the OTTAWA 67’S!! No, it’s not an NHL club but it
    certainly is a step in the right direction and to be honest, I
    [b]LOVE[/b] OHL hockey!

My first game blog will be on Friday, October 22nd against the Brampton Battalion and can be found here:

I will provide more details as they are worked out!!

Sooooooooooooooo excited!!!