Back to the ice

The Canadiens practice this morning in Brossard, sweating off the turkey and whatever ele was ingested during their two-day hiatus.

The home opener is tomorrow night, with Guy Boucher and his Tampa Bay Lightning at the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens have also scheduled a press conference with Bell to announce “a series of three innovations aimed at bringing fans closer to their team than ever before.”

Maybe the cell phone numbers of all the players so we can call them up with helpful tips?

Homecoming for Boucher

Guy Carbonneau assesses the first two games

BGL gone, Breezer hanging in at Battle of the Blades

• A new creepy Ovechkin commercial

• Another questionable hit: Pominville injured

Wisniewski doesn’t remember

Hicks having trouble selling Stars

Devils a joke?

VTbA1y6vvig

1. Chorske says:

I’m gonna wait until tonight’s game before getting all ZOMFG!!1!

2. Danno says:

A sign of things to come if the league keeps allowing cheap shots.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

3. TomNickle says:

Who was on the record while in Dallas saying that he thought that Halak would be a future Vezina winner.

His history with goalies would suggest to me that he’s slightly off the mark.

4. oshawahabsfan says:

Some people still live in the stone age I guess, your knuckles must be sore

5. Chorske says:

Not sure I buy the connection between Pouliot and Dag. Dag had hit his ceiling, which wasn’t high to begin with. PouPou is a (probably vastly overrated) former 1st round pick with (supposedly) mad skills who won’t do basic things like battle for the puck and play with focus and intensity. I really don’t see the link at all.

6. notbigbird says:

I can’t see any question about it being a blindside hit covered by the new rules. He couldn’t possibly have seen the guy coming from that angle even with the supposed peek which if anything was looking for his own man or the other opponent. While I don’t think there was intent to injure, but neither do I think most highsticking or delay of game infractions were deliberate, so it’s definitely punishable. If the league is really serious about this, it should be at least 5 games IMO.

7. andrewberkshire says:

The GM of the Blues is Doug Armstrong.

8. oshawahabsfan says:

Throw the book at that guy, this was essentially a hit from behind. They need to set a real standard the way junior hockey has been dealing with cheapshots. There’s no way for Pominville to see the hit coming and protect himself. What will it take for these meatheads to stop delivering these dangerous checks

9. Harani says:

On twitter:

Stubbs reports that Markov and Hammr practicing at full speed.

JFChaumont reports that Hammr skating with O’B so might be in the line-up tomoro.

MAGodin ask : How would the Habs look today if they had completed the rumoured transaction of Plekanec, Gorges, Subban et Halak for Lecavalier et etc. Very shitty is my guess!

“It must be love!”

10. Chorske says:

Lets turn the question around. Do you think it’s acceptable for a young player to play BADLY without the puck?

Come on. This whole “JM is ruining the kids” line is so tired.

11. Danno says:

Concussion from a bad hit from Chicago’s Andrew Ladd early in the season.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

12. HabFanSince72 says:

It takes a year to recover from concussion. Maybe what we are seeing is Dags returning to the level he should have been at.

13. Fire_Laraque says:

I heard Toronto also raised a banner: “We didn’t finish last 2009-2010”

14. HabFanSince72 says:

Not only that, but they weren’t Eastern Conference Champions, the Caps were.

15. Fire_Laraque says:

Yeah but my reflection was more regarding OUR players then D’agostini.

16. Fire_Laraque says:

Yeah, just wonderin’ if there isn’t another way to develop a player then to have ridulous expectations from him and start moving him around without giving him the time to settle.  But hey, what do I know?

17. Watsatheo says:

Actually he has two assets, very good shot (right handed too) and very fast.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Flyers raised an “Eastern Conference Champions” Banner in their home opener last night.

Someone should tell them there’s only one banner that means anything after a season is over and that isn’t it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. SLONCOLD says:

didn’t he get hurt in mtl too and then was never the same after as well?

20. Harani says:

That Ovie commercial is freakin’ creepy!

“It must be love!”

21. SLONCOLD says:

Boyd’s been working pretty hard and not shying away from the the dirty zones on the boards. maybe before they move him up full time on the first line they’ll get him some time on the PP with gomez.

22. SeriousFan09 says:

D’Agostini has a shot, that’s about it. He barely scored a goal after Koivu was no longer his center, lifting him into something relevant on the Habs. If you’re going to be a 1-dimensional sniper you’d better be a hell of a sniper but he isn’t that good and he doesn’t have the game for the bottom-6.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

23. Jordio-oh says:

Sometimes a fresh start ignites a bit of an initial hot-streak, but normally taper off in cases like D’Agostini’s. I’d be surprised if he manges over 15 goals.

ps, your reference to JM wasn’t lost on me.

24. TomNickle says:

I think you’re misunderstanding the point I’m making.  You want to win trades, but you don’t want your trading partner to lose on them all of the time.  You want the player you’re trading away to be productive so that teams will continue to trade with you.

25. krob1000 says:

on IR, broke his toe on OCt 3rd.  Will get a chance to play top 6 there, Bouillon and Erat have been “assigned” as his mentors.  They are very excited about him and wil give him every opportunity to play top six minutes…he played very well in the preseason according to everyone but some QMJHL kid who is also a Predator prospect? weird stuff that was…he said Sergei was soft….most accounts I have read..say flashes of brilliance and the Preds have high hopes …and expectations for him.

26. Fire_Laraque says:

Tongue in cheek question here;

I wonder if the Blues coach asks D’agostini to play well without the puck and benches him when he has a bad shift???

Just wonderin’ ’cause we seem to be losing Poupouliot the same way we lost other kids by benching him and switching him lines as quickly as possible to make sure he’s good without the puck.

27. Watsatheo says:

Jedi Cammalleri Episode II with sound:

28. Dr-Watson says:

What a ridiculous and irrational statement to make!

29. TomNickle says:

I don’t believe I’ve read about him complaining that teams are too rough after the whistle or that a certain fight went over the top.

He’s referring to hits that are a result of a lot of players not respecting each other on the ice, and that has become a big problem in this league.

If you think that kind of hit is okay, I’m assuming you were never on the receiving end of one, and never dished one out.  Because if you had taken a hit like that, you would understand the potential danger and if you had given one, you would’ve had to stick up for yourself pretty quickly.

30. SLONCOLD says:

you should read more of my posts. because while the entire HIO community was complaining about the blind side hit on cammy, i thought it was clean.

31. TomNickle says:

I would really like to see if Jacques considers putting Pouliot and Eller with Halpern.  I think it could be a really good project.  In addition, I wouldn’t mind seeing Boyd moved up to the wing with Gomez and Gionta.  Boyd’s been good through the middle of the ice but his faceoff ability is lacking a wee bit.

32. Max_a_million says:

When somone cries about every patch of roughness, the message gets lost in the crying.

If ringette is too harsh, perhaps woman’s college hockey?

33. warriorhockey says:

ok so quick question… has sk74 played a game yet ?????

34. MathMan says:

Am I the only one who’s worried that it might not take more than one game we’ll all pine for the “one that got away” and his puck-pressure system who was let go for the coach who has a, well, “system” of some sort?

Or that the Habs’ vaunted 1000-game coach might well get his X-and-O board handed to him on a platter by a guy with two games of NHL experience?

I’m really hoping we start seeing some benefit from Martin this year, I really do. His system has been abysmal for the Habs so far and they need to not be a worst-in-NHL type team at evens this year. Because I think the guy who should’ve been coaching the Habs after last year’s, shall we say, less-than-inspiring coaching performance, is now coaching Tampa and I think the Habs will regret that for years.

35. SLONCOLD says:

do u like the hit and want to see your son or a friend in minor hockey experience the same tough hit? i love hits just not cheap shots.

36. TomNickle says:

Perhaps you should consider that Jason Pominville would like to walk upright when he’s done his career.

The risk of getting hit like that is part of the game but that doesn’t mean it should be tolerated without consequence.  It was a dirty hit that has the potential to end a player’s career.

Perhaps he would like to see consistency in the suspensions and a harsher punishment so that the NHL does get rid of these kinds of hits.  That may never come, but he’s justified in wanting them gone.

37. rocketsglare says:

Hjalmarsson IMO just took a dangerous shot at a vulnerable player. Noticed how Hjalmarsson raised his

shoulder at the moment of impact to maximize the force of the hit. He could have easly eased up on the

hit with out having to blast him into the boards. Regardless if Pominville saw Hjalmarsson coming it was

to little and certainly to late to do anything about it given the speed of Hjalmarsson’s approach.

Again, IMO an unwaranted and definitely dangerous hit with intent to injure. When is the league going to

stop these types of hits which to me seem like free shots at vulnerable players.

38. Max_a_million says:

Dude this is hockey.  People will get hit, and hurt.  You cry everytime something rough happens.

Perhaps you should follow ringette instead of hockey?

39. TomNickle says:

He was putting the surgery off for when he retired.  I believe he played two full seasons prior to having the surgery or ahem…..retiring.

40. Jordio-oh says:

And with the slow motion, side angle view i posted, you can see that Pominville did glance up before he got hit. However, that’s not to say he was expecting to get slammed, or that he was purposely remaining in a vulnerable position in order to draw a penalty

41. SLONCOLD says:

didn’t hatcher have knee replacement?

42. TomNickle says:

There’s no way they give him 10.  If Ovechkin were to do it later in the year they’d have to give him 10 minimum.  They won’t be prepared to do that.

5 is fair and a good number for a guy who doesn’t have much of a history.

43. PeterStone says:

that hit is as dirty as they get.  When you see the guys number, odds are you shouldnt drive him into the boards.  If you see both his numbers … 5 games minimum, personally would like to see 8.

That Ovechkin commercial is hilarious !

44. TomNickle says:

If I’m the Devils I’m sitting down with Zubrus and Salvador and telling them that they’ll collect their full paychecks to sit at home and fake injuries like the Flyers did with Rathje and Hatcher to get under the cap.

The Flyers did it without consequence.

At slow speed you see the hit better, but at top speed he came a long way to nail him in the back.

Dirty hit, and the league needs to send a message or the courts needs to send the league a message before someone is killed.

46. pmaraw says:

ya he did get pay from us

47. SLONCOLD says:

Now that is a blind side hit/from behind… no place in the game for it. i say min 5 games. although i would love to see that get 10.

48. TomNickle says:

THANK YOU Robert.  It bothers me that teams can buyout a player to get to the cap floor(Islanders) or put players who aren’t injured on LTIR(Flyers) to circumvent the cap without punishment but the Devils are giving away a draft at the whim of the NHL.

49. Mark C says:

Sure, at least at ES he did last season. Spacek actually averaged 25 more seconds of ES time than Markov did last season. Markov gains the extra time by adding over a minute each of PP and PK time. If Subban is on the 1st PP unit and Spacek is still behind Gorges, Gill, Hamrlik, and Markov on the PK, I would think Spacek could handle being paired with Markov ES.

50. SLONCOLD says:

that is something i will be able to live with. speaking of trades though. what’s NJ gonna do?

51. Danno says:

The guy is vaguely familiar. Didn’t he play for us at one time?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

52. habs youngtimer says:

if that’s the case, warrant: out for Blues GM Davidson for stealing Halak for a minor leaguer!

53. SLONCOLD says:

5 games. accident or not players have to be carefull and respectful of others

54. TomNickle says:

This Hjarlmarsson thing is very touchy for the NHL.  They need to be careful how many games they give him.

Remember, Ovechkin will almost certainly hit somebody in the same way at some point this year and he’ll be a repeat offender.  Same with Marian Hossa, although he doesn’t make it a habit to skate all over the ice with reckless abandon.

55. habs youngtimer says:

word is, Markov returns to the lineup Saturday. yahoo!

56. SeriousFan09 says:

A joke is the New York Islanders, they spit in the league’s face and the fan’s faces to avoid spending money. They sent multiple players on tryout contracts in that D-squad we whipped in Quebec City and pretty much made it a giant mockery of the pre-season (an accomplishment in itself!) than using close to 6 million in buyouts from Witt/Yashin to meet the cap floor this season.

If you watch the Devils, you get to see Parise and Kovalchuk, you watch the Islanders, you get to see their latest Top 10 pick from the draft struggle to play at a competition level he can’t handle yet, on the EL contract he’s signed to, inflated for the cap on bonus measures he’ll never meet because the team is so bad he’s lucky to get 45 points.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

57. TomNickle says:

You don’t want to start winning trades in lopsided fashion on a consistent basis.  Or at the very least, you want the player you traded away to be somewhat productive for his new team.

If you start hitting homeruns on trades and the other team keeps striking out, nobody will trade with you.  Darcy Regier in Buffalo doesn’t swing as many deals as he used to and that’s a big reason why.

58. pmaraw says:

of course they won’t notice it, its censor’d out… lol

59. pmaraw says:

and d’agostini scored 2 goals as st louis won 5-1, don’t ask me who was in net.

60. HabFanSince72 says:

Except can Spacek play Markov minutes for long?

61. Jordio-oh says:

Here’s a better video of the Pominville play:

62. flanman says:

Did Tony claim to know this or was he just speculating?

63. 21BIGGionta says:

So I’m at the John Abbott library on the computer. Everyone else around me is doing homework and I’m on this site…oops?

anyways, carbo’s thing; boringg
    BGL; it was either he got kicked out or injured himself 😉 groin

I hate to say it.. but Avery has a point, if it was him he would be in a heep of trouble, but it’s someone else Betman isn’t even commenting on it. And something tells me it will go unnoticed, but hey thats the nhl some favourites (Crosby ovechkin….) and some like Avery (With good reason, don’t get me wrong)

64. forskis says:

Looking at the Devils’ situation…I do not see how it is a jome or embarassing for the League, it is a sign that the cap “works”…if you mismanage your cap and players, then you deserve to play shorthanded and lose games, otherwise the rule of not being allowed to play for being over the cap is meaningless…the Devils’ management made their bed and now they have to sleep in it.

I think the Pominville hit is suspendable…people say that he saw it coming, I do not know about you, but if a player is 40 ft. away, I really do not think he is going to blast me into tomorrow through the boards.  The hit was from the blindside/behind and should he should get a few games…we have seen similar hits get game misconducts, but if a stretcher has to come out…suspend him.  However, I do not think that there was an intent to injure, if there was, Hjarlsson would have left his feet and annihilated him but he did not.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

65. fuhgawz says:

yes we are winning this deal so far — i wasnt sure why Calgary ever let go of the kid in the first place and then for the Preds to do so as well made me think humm maybe he isnt very good, but so far he has been one of the best Habs this season

66. habs03 says:

I agree with you guys, Markov-Spacek, Hamrlik-Subban makes the most sense.

67. SmartDog says:

Couldn’t it be

Markov-Spacek

Hamrlik-PK

?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

68. SeriousFan09 says:

They won’t shift Hamrlik to the right side, it didn’t even work out that well with Spacek and I don’t think it’s been pushed for more than a game or two with Hamrlik there. If anything, JM might be tempted to begin the mentoring of Markov to Subban by pairing them up, Hamrlik-Subban, Markov-Spacek could also be pairings.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

69. pic1983 says:

I disagree.  Whenever a player makes a hit like that, they arent exactly doing it to tickle the guy.  They are doing it to hurt them.  However, hitting is part of the game.  The only problem with the hit IMO, is that its from a funny angle.  I agree though that hjalmarasson isnt exactly a dirty player, but he should still get two games just because of the fact that it was blindside in my opinion, and pominville had to be taken off on a stretcher.

70. joshua94k says:

Newsflash : Arrest warrant out for Canadiens GM Gauthier

The Nashville police have issued an arrest warrant to the Canadiens GM Gauthier for stealing Dustin Boyd in a trade for Serge Kostitsyn. Violations include misleading the public, making false statements about player ablilities etc….

“It’s too much for one guy to shoulder. For us, we’re going to do it as a group. It’s about sharing that responsibility win or lose.” – Mike Cammallerie

71. habs03 says:

So Tony Mariano says Markov is back on Saturday, I just hope noone gets hurt tomorrow so on Saturday we can have a full lineup! Then we can role 3 good stable d pairings, Markov-Hamrlik, Spacek-Subban,Gill Gorges. I wonder how Hamrlik is going to deal with playing the right side if he plays with Markov.

72. JIMVINNY says:

I don’t think there’s any way to say that WASN’T intent to injure. He came at him from 40 feet away, Pominville’s positioning never changed, and he hit him in such a way that while the head was not the principle point of contact, it certainly smashed into the boards first.
    Yes, Pommer knew he was coming, but that doesn’t excuse the hit at all. It was interference, boarding, and intent to injure all wrapped up in one. 5 games at the bare minimum.

73. joeybarrie says:

Very bad hit. Very ugly repercussions. However, it doesn’t look like it was his intent to injure. These guys are competitive, and sometimes you go too far. Mistakes happen, and you have a good chance for a good, BIG, and loud hit to get your team and the crowd roaring. He comes in from a bad angle and it ends up being a function of a few different things. Don’t get me wrong, he wasn’t trying to give him a handshake, let’s remember these guys go at each other with intensity. I don’t think he was trying to injure him. AGAIN, people make mistakes. I can’t remember him ever being involved in anything dirty, so… Benefit of the doubt, maybe a game suspension. But I doubt it. First offence, he will most likely get nothing, and deserve it.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

74. 123456 says:

i can not believe people are defending the hit on pommer. it was from behind, he did not have the puck… thats a hit you just can not deliver. i lost respect for quenneville for saying it was not even a penalty. a coach needs to take the high road (as he did by saying noone wants to see a player get hurt).

75. HabFanSince72 says:

Is it time for players to sue the league, the opposing team, and the offending player in cases like Pominville’s?

By repeatedly giving slaps on the wrists for these kinds of hits the league has essentially facilitated them.