Back to practice this morning

Pressure on Capitals, Canadiens say: Hickey
Cartoonland’s Underdog was a bigger favourite than Habs: Stubbs
Bergeron paired with Markov: Hickey

Caps wary of Habs: Washington Post (might require free subscription)
Caps look forward to second season: Washington Times

The Canadiens are back on Brossard practice ice this morning, one day closer to Thursday’s first game of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal opener against the Capitals in Washington. Their opponent begins preparation today, having been given yesterday off by head coach Bruce Boudreau. Pat Hickey will cover Habs practice and file news and audio early this afternoon.

1. Bugs says:

My point is: between “we’ll never trade our 1st-round pick” and “we’ll trade it for Crosby”, there’s a large area you can bargain within.

I’m sure you agree with this.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

2. SLONCOLD says:

dude, think of this for a second. carey didn’t get as many starts down the stretch. they were building up halak to be ready for the playoffs….

3. SLONCOLD says:

halak looked good against russia in the olympics? thoguth he stopped a few break away there

4. SLONCOLD says:

okay with a few exceptions but i’m sure crosby and ovi aren’t on the block…. and most big tme players have no trade clauses and edmonton ain’t the desitination of choice….

5. Big Ted says:

I don’t think anyone’s putting Weber and Subban in the same class anymore. Weber never really got going in his first few attempts (other than the pre-season two years ago) while Subban really was a force and got lots of minutes. And yes, we have at least one more call-up free so why not use it on PK? What are we waiting for? It’s not like there’s anyone else in Hamilton who’s going to help and we have extra forwards and D avalaible already with the club if we need them. Stubbs also wrote that they could likely make a call-up in ane emergency even over the 4 allowed, so if a goalie went down, we could still substitute one of the guys from hamilton.

6. dudurules says:

She’d be “mon oncle” !

7. Say Ash says:

The Bell Centre fans would still boo and jeer the empty net for losing the game.

8. wd40 says:

no captain, no coach…

9. fuhgawz says:

no doubt !

10. Storm Man says:

The Pens fans would toss Shero in the lake if he made that offer:)

11. fuhgawz says:

posted this before last game — since we play the caps anyone else but me think Price should play against this team?

“Jm is an idiot jaro is not a big game goalie and before I get jumped on my point will be proven tonight”
  12. andrewberkshire says:

To get pumped up for the playoffs, a count down of the top 10 games of the Canadiens’ season!

12 forwards and 6 defensemen and the Habs have a chance (that means MAB as a D man). 11 forwards and 7 defensemen and the Caps sweep the Habs in 4 games.

14. Say Ash says:

Too bad he didn’t bet he’d get fired, eh?

15. notbigbird says:

I love how you switched the Breezer for MAB this year. We sure come upwith some dandies on D. If we have to play MAB, I think we’re cooked.

16. Storm Man says:

That would be a upgrade, I think we could land a better coach here. Guy Guy Guy Guy

17. jbroderi says:

sorry, i just realized that i had the caps on for some of that post..  You still may see price, and if we do, it may be the perfect storm if you know what i mean. (cup cup cup)

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

18. Storm Man says:

The TSX is down -115.86 need more bets on the Habs

19. Bugs says:

Hoya wants to trade Jack Marty for Rick Tocchet!

Oh, my gosh, Hoya! Not you! Nooo, not you! I can’t believe it!

Hoya wants Rick Tocchet!

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

20. Say Ash says:

“Combine paul mara and bergeron.” Whoa.

21. likehoy says:

ask rick tocchet, i’m sure he has nothing to do now that he’s unemployed…he probably bet that he’d have the first team in the NHL to have two 90 point scorers, and a 50goal scorer and still miss the playoffs.

- We’ve gotta beat the beat, and fist pump our way to victory!

22. jimmy shaker says:

I still say Hammer is done here in montreal…..he’s slow and basically contributes nothing to the offense anymore, Dandy, Boully and Gorges can be the shutdown D out there!….so I’d keep MAB because of his offense and his cheap contract and use the money up front where we need it.  SO I agree with you 7 except MAB for Hammer.  Good thoughts though!

Shaker

23. Bugs says:

Really?

So if they’re offered Crosby for it, they’ll tell Shero to go jump in a lake?

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

24. likehoy says:

says who?

- We’ve gotta beat the beat, and fist pump our way to victory!

25. linp says:

7.  SK said something in russian and JM misunderstood and thought SK criticised his system.

8.  JM caught SK blinking his eyes and accused SK flirting with girls in the Bell center and not focuing on the game.

26. j2w4habs25 says:

so he is saying “they are going to score alot of goals” and not worrie about good goaltending???

27. SLONCOLD says:

UHM just to let you know edmonton is not getting rid of their pick…

28. Harani says:

My heart is optimistic and says Habs.

My brain is realistic and says Caps.

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

29. likehoy says:

well that’s how the NHL works…we’ll take a waste of cap space in return for something really want i.e. the first round pick.

- We’ve gotta beat the beat, and fist pump our way to victory!

30. Bob Barker says:

At this point in his career I think Souray is a waster of cap space.

31. Bugs says:

The dart I shot him with is taking effect?

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

32. Le Jadester says:

Still wonderin’ why SK 74 was benched ? It all started in the timeout agains the Canes.

1) SK rolled his eyes when JM was addressing the team during the time out.

2) JM was gonna bench AK and ordered SK to replace him on the 2nd Line.  SK refused and was Insubordinate.

3) SK was JM’s scapegoat and he wanted to send a message by grounding him to the rest of the team and city using him as an example. SK has had some success lately and it makes him look bad for cutting him at the start of the year. Boucher has been getting all the credit for SK’s resurgence.

4) JM thought the only way he could guarentee a playoff spot and his 500 K bonus would be to keep the SK out of the picture so he couldn’t have a hand in foiling it (would make for a great soap plot !).

5) SK and Poulio went out the night before and got caught breaking curfew

6) SK re injured his “lower body”

Just some random conspiracy theories we were throwing around at work havin’ a laugh. The 3rd line will be critical in this matchup with the Caps There is never anything clear cut with him. Did anyone go to the Autograph session with AK and Markei ?

I kinda get O’By but I think the timing of all this is awful IMO but I guess its better they all go through this now, than in the playoffs. The alternatives aren’t any better.  As much as I love MAB, my brain says no to Defense, especially against the CAPS.

As well, I don’t understand why playoff exposure and experience is good for some young players and not others, especially when there’s nothing to lose by goin’ up against the Caps (i.e. PK Subban).  I get the whole “let’s handle each player on a “case by case basis” but I think it would only be beneficial.  I guess we’ll see what happens if we get bit by the injury bug.

JM is still a clown.

Habs, OLE !

33. SLONCOLD says:

lol halak is starting sorry i was just mesing with aces….

34. Bugs says:

Ah, well, the 1st-rounder, that’s a different story…

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

35. Bugs says:

You guys remember all this double-talk last year about how bringing up a kid into the playoffs after TWO games experience and how that would solve all our problems all of a sudden?

The name was Webber at that time. Even scored a goal.

But didn’t help for sh*te when all was said and done.

We got here without PK. None of us are under any illusions that we’re headed for a Sainte-Catherine Parade. So we stick to the plan: Soobie goes for the Calder Cup this year and NEXT year, the Calder Trophy.

And MAYBE, come playoff time NEXT year, we might get further than where we’re headed THIS year.

Which is the Conference Final of course.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

36. j2w4habs25 says:

what?? did he sleep in? lol

37. likehoy says:

hey
    if edmonton wants to deal souray, we have to be in on it not for souray, but for their first rounder and the possible chance of drafting seguin/hall…we’ve waited long enough, and one deal of spare parts will get us there a little quicker.

we get souray back, we essentially combine paul mara and bergeron, and if we deal hamrlik as a make-weight, we still have room for soobie-doo to come in. Pair up soobie and souray, and spacek and gorges, with markie and OB as our top pairing and we got ourselves an interesting defense corps..with a superstar draft pick.

- We’ve gotta beat the beat, and fist pump our way to victory!

38. jbroderi says:

you must have drank the darren dreger kool-aid.  Listen, I know that good money would be on washington in 5 games, maybe 6.  (maybe 4)  But, teams play each other certain ways, and that can have an effect, especially if montreal can squeek through the first game with a win.  Just saying that when you look at things a little differently then the “experts”, you can find some trends to give fans some hope and realize that it may be closer then we think.

Stats are stats.  Sure, you can fudge them here and there to fit your needs, but 3.16 games out of 7 and 4.2 out of seven means that it could be close..  We aren’t saying “play another 82 games, and see who has more points”  we are saying play the same team night in and night out.  Can washington adapt if they lose the first one?? they have no system..  We need to lean on them hard, even the little guys need to, TO have any hope.

MY GUT SAYS WASHINGTON IN 5 OR MAYBE 6, my heart says habs in 6 (the MAB shelf in overtime!!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB