Back to practice on eve of Game 6

Canadiens’ Travis Moen dislodges the net of Capitals’ Semyon Varlamov with a high-speed crash Friday in Game 5.
Jim McIsaac, Getty Images

A tough job, but Moen’s gotta do it: Stubbs
Power outage jolts Capitals: Hickey

The Canadiens return to practice this morning in Brossard to prepare for Monday’s Game 6 against the Washington Capitals.

The Habs we spoke with Saturday – Travis Moen, Hal Gill and Dominic Moore – all echoed a familiar refrain: Friday’s 2-1 Game 5 win in Washington will mean nothing unless they follow up with a victory Monday at home.

Pat Hickey will be at practice late this morning (it begins at 11:30 a.m., for those planning to attend) and will provide updates later today.

The Capitals practice this morning in Arlington, Va., then charter into Montreal later in the day.

1. coachdoug says:

That would be priceless…I think he is still on the payroll…

Only problem is JM says we don’t need no stinking enforcer…just a well trained medical staff and a lot of ice bags…

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

2. TorontoHabsFan says:

The whole “let’s blame Jacques Martin” thing is as
    tiresome as it is bizarre. I mean, did we or did we not make the
    playoffs? And have we or have we not been competitive in every game in
    those playoffs? For a team that was considered shallow, it really is
    impressive that we reached the playoffs considering the number of games
    that key players missed with injury:

• Markov – 37 games
    • Cammalleri – 17 games
    • Gionta – 21 games
    • A. Kostitsyn – 23 games
    • Bergeron – 15 games (or so)
    • Metropolit – 13 games
    • Mara – 40 games.

And before we beatify Guy Boucher before he ever coaches a game in
    the NHL, we would do well to remember John Anderson. He who was just
    fired by Atlanta also came with some lofty achievements in the AHL (from
    his wiki:

John Anderson is the Chicago Wolves franchise’s all-time coaching leader in wins
    with 371 and holds the club mark for postseason victories as well with
    80. John also lead the Wolves to the Turner
    Cup
    /Calder Cup four times in the past eight seasons. His team was
    crowned league champions in 1997–98, 1999–00, 2001–02 and 2007-08.

On
    April 14, 2010, Anderson was released as head coach of the Atlanta
    Thrashers after 2 seasons with the organization.

3. Bill J says:

Then don’t get upset if I defend Price against gibberish posts. ;)

I mean, if your being a realist and all lol :P

4. derfab says:

He would be our top center. it’s nice out. Go chase a tornado or something.

5. Danno says:

Lol. The job ain’t over till the paperwork’s done.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

6. Bill J says:

Interesting way to promote more Jersey sales for Montreal (or is this a NHL promo).

That’s for sure.

7. Danno says:

Attach a bayonette on the end of the flagpole and shish kebab the big ape.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

8. adam76 says:

Just being a realist.

9. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

after battling hard in the corners and in front of the net at both ends of the ice….the question is:

WHO IS GOING TO OPPOSE YOU from carrying the puck into the zone…or anywhere… it is a matter of conjecture…liberties against us would be reduced tenfold.

10. Bill J says:

I still like the Idea, and would absolutely LMFAO if BGL was in that spot Monday night.

11. Chuck says:

Habs look to retire more jerseys:

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

12. HUDSONHAB says:

Sorry Ava, you got that backwards. Hammer is spent and MAB needs to be B*t*ch slapped until he gets his head on straight. I’ll take Spacek, thank you very much.

….Hab4life….

13. tdrmoss84 says:

Hope that little flag bearer is ready for Ovenkitchen this time!  Perhaps he could high flag #8 and make him look like  his team mate Belanger?  Ole’ Ole’ Ole’

14. derfab says:

Sheldon Souray scored 25. One-piece wonders like MAB (eech!) can put the puck in too. Elite players?

Markov is an elite player. Boyle is an elite player. Green was left off Team Canada because he is lost in his own zone. .

Ovi doesn’t play on a line, he plays on 2, plus special teams.

My point is that these “stars” are a full tier below Crosby, Nash, Ovechkin…who, whether they are on the same “line” or not, give everyone they play with more room and make everyone they play with (eg. Matt Cook)look better.

15. coachdoug says:

Danno..Let’s channel that thought until it becomes a reality!  I think Varly is due for a break down…happens to the best of them and I am not convinced he is the best of them yet…Love to see Jaro silence the few critics he has left…

I want to see Ovenchicken get walloped some time during the playoffs…The way he goes around headhunting he is long overdue to get his…I like his offensive game but the physical side of his game is reckless and the odds are stacking against him…Every dog has his day…

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

16. Bugs says:

Nice!

Vicious, but nice.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

17. HabFanSince72 says:

Devils style hockey doesn’t work any more.

18. Bugs says:

Gotta agree.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

19. Bill J says:

And you accuse me of always jumping in to defend Price.

Meanwhile you jump in at every occasion presented to you to slag him…

Double standard no ? lol.

20. HabFanSince72 says:

Unfortunately the likely scenario is that they step on the gas from the opening whistle.

To think they got 37 shots while never really opening up the throttle.

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, your avatar shows your non-partisan nature in the matter.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. Bugs says:

Brian Gionta talks about Shooting the Puck.

On the team’s motivation: “No one wants a spanking on this team(). I’m not saying a guy or two here couldn’t use one () but nobody wants one, no.”

Superfluously redundant, I remain

23. Bill J says:

RE: Lats – I find it funny, granted, that he FINALLY started to park his butt in front of the net & crashed the net when he arrived in Minny.

Now the question to ask yourself is… Is it because he was not used properly by his Head Coach’s in Montreal?

Fair question I would say…

re: the goalie age for prime-time, that can be debated.  Too many goalies to counter your point, suffice it to say “24 as a goalie has never been “Prime-Time” for any goalie in NHL history” is a bit exaggerated.

Like I said to Bob below… Your closing sentence is for sure what I am referring to.

If the plan was to bring JM in as the future GM.  So be it, but in the development of our youth.  I would far prefer GB at the helm.  Sooner the better.

24. adam76 says:

lol @ goaltending solution.  After Wednesday – Price for sure has the class and character to be a true flyer.  Will fit right in.

25. adam76 says:

Do you really think we can get anything more then a couple of draft picks for Price?  This deal could have went through at the start of the season.

26. Bugs says:

They’d sell their mothers before putting Theo in net tomorrow. If they have any brains, that is.

We score 8? Varly eats’em all, I reckon.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

27. Bob Barker says:

Since it’s fun to think about, if Markov had himself as a defensive partner not to mention as his three forwards, the PP would be ridiculous, breakouts would be seamless, and they would dominate puck possession. In reality, he’s been paired with MAB for most of the playoffs, whose defensive abilities can only be described as beer league.

A team of Moen’s would drive hard to the net and battle hard in the corners but who’s going to carry the puck into the zone or play the point on the PP?

28. HabFanSince72 says:

Looks like Gagne and Carter are done for the season. Good news for the Caps if they beat us.

29. Bob Barker says:

I agree, unless it’s a package deal for Carter or maybe JVR+, I don’t like it.

30. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

not in the playoffs…

31. derfab says:

Talented player but how many of his points are tied to ovi? Pleks had 70 this year with lesser players who were injured for a third of the season. i don’t see either of them as elite, just good. Debatable. But it is clear that teams with one true all star have that edge and that only over the others.

32. HabFanSince72 says:

Washington’s 2nd tier players are also pretty good. Guys like Laich, Belanger, Fehr, Morrison. All very fine players.

33. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

DIY players are obsolete or enigmas…the stuff of dreams…keep dreaming about them, i’ll take hard workers with results..not fringe don’t get your hands dirty finesse types…

34. Bob Barker says:

Probably not. I think JT will hit 30-40 goals next year. Stamkos had great chemistry with St-Louis and is fast enough to score off the rush. JT doesn’t have the same supporting cast or the same footspeed.

35. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

like shots matter?….wash has 78 shots and scores 3 times, we have 7 shots and score 4 times….that stat is useless… now he may have 3 shots, but one was a game winner, thats why we are here, and on top of those 3 shots he must have dbl digits in HITS, that are as well game changing.

36. Instant Karma says:

if we arnt getting a big, young, scoring centre (Carter) pass!

37. Storm Man says:

So did I read this right you think Backstrom is a so-so hockey player? If that is the case please watch a sport you know something about.

38. HabFanSince72 says:

Even better idea: keep Price and Halak.

It’s too early to give up on Price.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Brilliant, give the Flyers a goaltending solution and pick up a fragile winger going on the down half of his career and 2 2nd-round picks, pass.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. Danno says:

Hear me now believe me later. Varlamov will have a meltdown at the Bell Centre and will be replaced by Theodore who will continue to stink for the Caps. Halak will shine. Habs will crush the Caps and force a game seven in Washington on Wednesday where they will shock the hockey world and defeat the Caps in seven.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

41. matmacat says:

You’re saying Semin, Backstrom and Green are not elite players? Green scored about 30 goals last year and 20 this year. That’s not him making a pass to OV and OV putting it in. That’s Mike Green putting the puck in the net. I’ll also assume you haven’t watched a single game of this series since you claim Backstrom is not a fantastic player regardless of OV. As for Semin, he played the majority of the regular season on the 2nd line without OV.

So what are you talking about?

42. derfab says:

Price for Gagne and 2nd round 2010, 2011?

43. crabvader says:

OUCH! I agree on maybe Semin and Knuble but Backstrom is a top tier player in the NHL.

He has speed, strength, amazing passing skills and great finish.

Backstrom is any coach’s dream. Seriously, the kid is absolutely phenominal.

He’s had much more of an impact in these playoffs than Ovy has.

44. crabvader says:

Well, Stamkos has been consistent all season long, even when Tampa was in the running.

What I mean by my question is that Stamkos was pretty irrelevant last season. I thought he was overhyped and had no clue why he was in the NHL, truth be told.

Now I want to know if JT is going to pull a Stamkos next year…

45. Bob Barker says:

My team of Markov’s would beat your team of Moen’s

46. avatar_58 says:

Tavares is a little soft no? I still think he’ll be good in time, but it’s not fair to compare him to the guys having amazing seasons. Stamkos is had a breakout year. Call me next year at this time and tell me how he’s doing when it really matters.

ALL players do well once their team is out of the running. Look at the leafs and their AHL’ers. Next year is a different story

47. derfab says:

What we have here is two more or less mediocre teams with one elite forward and a few good goaltenders between them.

Ovechkin makes Semin, Backstrom, Greene and knibbles and bits look much better than they are. Pleks, Gomer and Gionta would also look fantastic playing with a force of natu….err… this type, that’s it, ‘type’.

Washington may just blow it if they don’t accept that they have to bang and crash and play D. just like all the other scrappy teams in this diluted business.

Go Habs Go…and pitchfork Ovi if you have to!

Where’s Bobby Clarke when you need him!

48. avatar_58 says:

Bergeron let SEVERAL pucks by him on the blue line. He’s too nervous out there and it’s costing us powerplays. Not that Hamr has helped much in that regard, but at least he can hold the puck in.

49. avatar_58 says:

Yeah thats right. Support the team. lol

I wish I could get the hometown jersey with the ‘H’ on it, the dark blue one. It’s very sexy. Unfortunately it was a one-time deal and I’d have to find someone willing to part with it.

Yes no name. I have no clue where to get it stitched anyway, maybe Copps does it? Change or no I’d love a 76 Subban :D However yeah, going no name.

50. mrhabby says:

i blame it all on George Bush.

51. Mr.Hazard says:

TSN.com: the Reporters 2.0 (on the video player), taking stabs at Quebec.

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

52. Mr_MacDougall says:

I like Moen.. but, he has 3 shots in 5 games.. so, you want 12 forwars athat would combine for 36 shots in 5 games?

53. crabvader says:

Moen is a complementary player, not a do-it-yourself’er.

54. Mr_MacDougall says:

Lats had fewer Goals per Game average with Minny than Pouliot with the Habs.. mor etotal goals… but it is easy to look at the numbers and highlights and think Lats is great… Kinda like how me watching Ovechkin this series has shown me he is a lesser version of Brett Hull… does nothing but score goals, lots of the mind yop… what else does he offer? NOTHING!

24 as a goalie has never been “Prime-Time” for any goalie in NHL history that has had long term success, sorry to disagree, but he needs 3-4 more years of seasoning.. at minimum 250 career starts to come into his own.

As for JM, he didn’t give Spezza a chance, so I understand where you come from with the young player thing.

55. crabvader says:

So…does John Tavares turn into Steven Stamkos next season??

56. Bill J says:

Overall great points, your summary is what I loved the best.

And the sooner we see GB the better IMO.

JM, does not strike me as the best candidate to right the ship.

Just my opinion…  You’ve raised some valid points, but as you said.  Some of this doesn’t necessarily fall on JM as much as the Goalie coach for example etc etc…

Good convo Bob – :) — still think JM sucks…. on to another topic lol

57. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Give me a team of MOEN’s and i’ll give you the CUP….

1:The N.A.G. (North American Grit) Youth Movement will bring us respect. 2:The NHL-Ref-Syndicate will do everything in its power to never allow the HABS to win another Stanley Cup. 3:Take it easy on the boys, they are going 110%

58. Bob Barker says:

Martin gave Pouliot a chance to succeed on the second line. He’s just in a slump right now so in a do-or-die game it was the right move to promote Moen to the second line.

O’Byrne has progressed this year. He was much more physical. He’s also 25 so by your definition is not a young player.

I think both goalies improved this year, but that has more to do with the goaltending coach. Some credit has to be given for Martin playing Halak.

Lats has done very well in Minnesota. He’s playing top-line minutes and is actually playing with effort, effort which was definitely lacking in Montreal under Martin, Carbonneau and Gainey. He’s another Ribeiro type in my books. I still think Pouliot will end up being the better player.

That being said, I look forward to seeing Boucher in Montreal precisely because of his ability to work with young players and the results he’s gotten with PK Subban, the next 50+ point NHL defenseman.

59. Mr_MacDougall says:

Stamkos they would

60. Bill J says:

Said it earlier Ted – was widely speculated that JM was losing his job in FLA, after the Bouwmeester debacle FLA ownership wanted a new direction.

61. Mr_MacDougall says:

No Jersey…. FACE PAINT!!!!  Go with the red one.. without a name or number.. AHL changes players way too much.  Love the “Gotta Support the Team”
     ala David Putty

62. dicktracy says:

Washington still doesn’t believe they can lose this series but seems a little pissed that they have to bother with the last seed on their rightful way to the cup finals. Maybe if we take the next one they will finally except that they have an apponent but hopefully they will not wake up until after they loose the series and wonder what the hell just happened here.

63. Big Ted says:

100% agreed. Hamrlik has played well before, even though now he looks tired and/or injured. But there is at least the possibility of him playing well and playing minutes. MAB has made a few nice plays but has shown overall that he is not skilled enough and too under-sized to have any value as an NHl defenceman, particularly against a big team like Washington.

64. Mr_MacDougall says:

MAB is soooooooo done… Hammer is just worn out, loggen way too many minutes for an old guy this season, two days off, after decreased minutes.. he should be ready for a good 15 minute night. MAN and his -8 rating can watch.

BTW Hal Gill is +1 in the series, I liked the signing at the start of the year, nice to see it paying off. I liked Mara too, not sure if he’d be helping us right now if he was healthy anyweay, he was not as good as I thought.

65. Big Ted says:

Boucher would not have been ready to come to the NHL last year, it was a good decision to give him at least a year in the minors. I agree that the contract for JM was too long, but remember that JM was a GM in Florida, I don’t think he would have left his job if he knew he was a one-year fill-in until Boucher was ready.

66. Storm Man says:

You forgot HHOF also

67. Bill J says:

Ok THAT I can see, the way it was written certainly did not imply that.

Because usually when you say “So & So should be promoted, and in the same sentence “…because of the brilliant year he had” it really does not imply Boucher was the one been spoken of.

Boucher should be promoted to Head Coach of the Habs because of the brilliant year he had, and Martin can take the GM job”

is a more apropos statement under the circumstances.

68. notbigbird says:

Sorry, I don’t see it that way. It’s a decision for current owners and managers to make. I do understand what you’re saying though and admit that the $ and contract are factors. But credit him signing Boucher in the first place to develop him just as players are developed in the minors.

69. notbigbird says:

I imagine he’s either speaking ironically, or the “his” refers to Boucher.

70. homerbowen says:

Eberle is too small for a team already loaded with tiny players

71. avatar_58 says:

Despite his lapses I would rather see Hamr out there than MAB. MAB is done, for the love of god stop using him. Hamr just needs a slap across the face to wake him up.

72. avatar_58 says:

No? No one in their right mind would pass up Taylor Hall. Even if he doesn’t immediately light it up he’s going to be a stud in the future. Only the most idiotic of GMs would lose that first round pick they tanked for.

73. bertuzzisucks says:

How About This??

Spacek in, Hamrlik sits.

Bergeron will only play 5 minites of regular ice-time anyway. And we dont want that defense on 4th line crap.

Forwards should stay the same with 4th line getting few minutes with the occasional Cammy shift.

Habs in Seven!!

Are you going to bark all day little doggy?
    Or are you going to bite?

74. punkster says:

STORM THE BASTILLE!

75. Bill J says:

& The equally important factor in this equation.

Convince Roy to come out of retirement and play for the Habs.

Then the commercial becomes

“What if Roy didn’t come out of retirement to once again stone Sandstrom”

lol