Back to practice on eve of Game 6

Canadiens’ Travis Moen dislodges the net of Capitals’ Semyon Varlamov with a high-speed crash Friday in Game 5.
Jim McIsaac, Getty Images

A tough job, but Moen’s gotta do it: Stubbs
Power outage jolts Capitals: Hickey

The Canadiens return to practice this morning in Brossard to prepare for Monday’s Game 6 against the Washington Capitals.

The Habs we spoke with Saturday – Travis Moen, Hal Gill and Dominic Moore – all echoed a familiar refrain: Friday’s 2-1 Game 5 win in Washington will mean nothing unless they follow up with a victory Monday at home.

Pat Hickey will be at practice late this morning (it begins at 11:30 a.m., for those planning to attend) and will provide updates later today.

The Capitals practice this morning in Arlington, Va., then charter into Montreal later in the day.

1. ManApart says:

Ya, pretty much. That’s why we can’t really blame Gainey for that one. Lats was playing terribly for whatever reason and it just wasn’t going to happen. It’s too bad Pouliot is blowing it. He had a perfect opportunity, to have a fresh start, and play with 2 very good, professional players. He was given a great chance and so far has blown it. Teams don’t give up on 22 year old, 4 pick overall choices, for nothing.

2. ABHabsfan says:

I agree Ovechkin has a woopin’ coming his way I just don’t think the Habs have anyone to do it. They should just concentrate on limiting his chances and trying to keep him off his game. I wonder what Lord Bettman thinks of his “face of the league” snow-hosing a little kid carrying a flag? What an idiot move by an equally idiot player.

Also regarding the object of P MacGuire`s man-love: is there no longer a limit on stick curves. I know they increased the limit to ¾ inch but look at Ovie`s stick at looks like a Bobby Hull special. Could a McSorley move be in the offing

3. ABHabsfan says:

4. MontrealAtheist says:

Price is nothing more than an average goalie with a bad temper. I say the sooner we get rid of him the better since it will resolve these unnecessary struggles as to who is the #1. If one or two 3rd round picks is all we are offered for Price then so be it, we should still take the offer.

Price has had enough time to redeem himself in Montreal and quite frankly he hasn’t done anything for this team yet. Any potential that he may have is useless unless it’s actually realized and quite frankly I don’t see that anytime soon and we cannot afford to keep an average goalie on the payroll for many years to come just because he might some day realize all that potential that he is rumoured to have.

5. ManApart says:

The theory that a guy can just turn it on anytime he wants, and does, because it’s a contract year, is very flawed. Just look at Price.

6. Storm Man says:

I like Pleks just not sold on paying him 5.5-6 mil unless it is a 3 year deal.

7. SeriousFan09 says:

So exactly like Lats before we traded him then?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

8. Bill H says:

Last time Pleks had a contract year was 2008-2009.  Remember?  He signed last summer to a one year deal.  So what were his stats last contract year? GP 80  G20  A19  Pts39  +/- -9  This was after his break out year with 29G.  So it had nothing to do with contract year and everything to do with his own commitment to excellence.  Let’s give credit where credit is due, rather than suggest that it was Plekanec’s greed that motivated him.

9. ManApart says:

That Pouliot aquisition is looking worse and worse everyday. Soft, lazy, terrible defensively and now no scoring at all. He played less than 5 mins last game and has now been replaced by Moen. Doesn’t say much for the guy.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

Well hey, remember in 07-08 when we were facing the ‘Ruins and we figured since we went 8 for 8 against them in the regular it was 5 games tops for the series? That nearly blew up in our faces. No. 1 seeds always see the first round of the playoffs as a formality, they get complacent and it sometimes costs them dearly.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. Big Ted says:

The Caps really do seem to be acting like they expected to beat us in 4 or 5 games max. They haven’t explicitly stated that in public yet, but this whole bit about how they’re disappointed in themselves for allowing this series ot go on so long is another way of saying they don’t think we deserve to be playing against them. Boudreau acts like this series is a formality to him, Ovechkin seems to take the whole thing as a joke… the Habs can say all they want that they don’t believe in bulletin board material, but come on. If I were on the Canadiens, I’d be fired up to know how little the Caps think of us. There is no way they should be allowed to take all 3 games on our own ice. We need to score early and keep a lead so the fans stay on the caps and the refs.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

That Boucher influenced Sergei? All reports indicated Boucher and his assistants spent a lot of time working with the younger Kostitsyn down in Hamilton and when he came up again, he was playing two-way forward and stopped taking bad penalties, a complete change from what he had done before.

As for JM not doing much with the young players, who really has done a lot this year in the youth group besides OB and Halak? Nobody really, they’ve mostly gone through cold and hot streaks, but mostly cold ones.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

13. adam76 says:

Your defense of Price is he is a nice young lad who is very good with autographs.  or maybe that was Priceburg:)

It all good Bill.

14. Storm Man says:

It is his contract year, Nothing more nothing less.

15. Bugs says:

It was an…interesting scoop, lemme tell ya.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

16. TorontoHabsFan says:

That’s some specious reasoning there. By the same logic I could say that it’s all Martin’s doing that caused Plekanec to have such a great season.

17. Bob Barker says:

A situation that was remedied by acquiring Pouliot, who is basically Lats with skating ability and more potential.

But I agree about SK74, I don’t understand what the problem is. I’ve found SK74 plays has played very well on the third line.

18. Jbird says:

Depends on what draft picks you are talking about.   And Price had a Cigarette. .  . . So?  Get over it.

19. Danno says:

I can’t say Bill, because that would jinx it.

All I can say is Halak will do VERY well.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

20. HabFanSince72 says:

Torontohabfan and Seriousfan are both right.

JM’s biggest failing has to be Latendresse. He disliked him from day one.

But in Montreal every game is a playoff game, even in October. Not a good situation for the youngsters.

21. SeriousFan09 says:

They’re right you know, we should only buy our jerseys from NHL-approved sweatshop labour.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. Bill H says:

I like this scenario Danno.  I hope you are right.  But hey, your prediction is nothing without the score on Monday night.  So what will it be?  5-2?  😉

23. derfab says:

All good points. my problem is that Price will not want to sign a reasonable deal and become poison. If he doesn’t play enough next year his value will not increase and we will end up dumping him somewhere for less than a frenchie and 2 picks.

24. SeriousFan09 says:

My primary issue with JM?

What players 25 or under aside from OB and Halak would any of us say have really improved this year? For a coach who came in with a reputation for working with young players, it certainly hasn’t worked out that way here. Most have stayed the same or regressed, SK his favourite whipping boy only plays two-way forward now because of Boucher’s influence in Hamilton.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

25. Storm Man says:

I would not want to take your job. Don’t you have a class to get ready for?

26. Chuck says:

I haven’t seen it on any of the other team websites, so I think that it’s a Montreal initiative.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

27. Danno says:

From the site:

Buying a counterfeit jersey may support unlawful labour conditions and organized crime.

It should add:

Buying an official NHL jersey may support unlawful officials criminally organized to fix games.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

28. coachdoug says:

That would be priceless…I think he is still on the payroll…

Only problem is JM says we don’t need no stinking enforcer…just a well trained medical staff and a lot of ice bags…

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

29. TorontoHabsFan says:

The whole “let’s blame Jacques Martin” thing is as
    tiresome as it is bizarre. I mean, did we or did we not make the
    playoffs? And have we or have we not been competitive in every game in
    those playoffs? For a team that was considered shallow, it really is
    impressive that we reached the playoffs considering the number of games
    that key players missed with injury:

• Markov – 37 games
    • Cammalleri – 17 games
    • Gionta – 21 games
    • A. Kostitsyn – 23 games
    • Bergeron – 15 games (or so)
    • Metropolit – 13 games
    • Mara – 40 games.

And before we beatify Guy Boucher before he ever coaches a game in
    the NHL, we would do well to remember John Anderson. He who was just
    fired by Atlanta also came with some lofty achievements in the AHL (from
    his wiki:

John Anderson is the Chicago Wolves franchise’s all-time coaching leader in wins
    with 371 and holds the club mark for postseason victories as well with
    80. John also lead the Wolves to the Turner
    Cup
    /Calder Cup four times in the past eight seasons. His team was
    crowned league champions in 1997–98, 1999–00, 2001–02 and 2007-08.

On
    April 14, 2010, Anderson was released as head coach of the Atlanta
    Thrashers after 2 seasons with the organization.

30. Bill J says:

Then don’t get upset if I defend Price against gibberish posts. 😉

I mean, if your being a realist and all lol 😛

31. derfab says:

He would be our top center. it’s nice out. Go chase a tornado or something.

32. Danno says:

Lol. The job ain’t over till the paperwork’s done.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

33. Bill J says:

Interesting way to promote more Jersey sales for Montreal (or is this a NHL promo).

That’s for sure.

34. Danno says:

Attach a bayonette on the end of the flagpole and shish kebab the big ape.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

35. adam76 says:

Just being a realist.

36. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

after battling hard in the corners and in front of the net at both ends of the ice….the question is:

WHO IS GOING TO OPPOSE YOU from carrying the puck into the zone…or anywhere… it is a matter of conjecture…liberties against us would be reduced tenfold.

37. Bill J says:

I still like the Idea, and would absolutely LMFAO if BGL was in that spot Monday night.

38. Chuck says:

Habs look to retire more jerseys:

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

39. HUDSONHAB says:

Sorry Ava, you got that backwards. Hammer is spent and MAB needs to be B*t*ch slapped until he gets his head on straight. I’ll take Spacek, thank you very much.

….Hab4life….

40. tdrmoss84 says:

Hope that little flag bearer is ready for Ovenkitchen this time!  Perhaps he could high flag #8 and make him look like  his team mate Belanger?  Ole’ Ole’ Ole’

41. derfab says:

Sheldon Souray scored 25. One-piece wonders like MAB (eech!) can put the puck in too. Elite players?

Markov is an elite player. Boyle is an elite player. Green was left off Team Canada because he is lost in his own zone. .

Ovi doesn’t play on a line, he plays on 2, plus special teams.

My point is that these “stars” are a full tier below Crosby, Nash, Ovechkin…who, whether they are on the same “line” or not, give everyone they play with more room and make everyone they play with (eg. Matt Cook)look better.

42. coachdoug says:

Danno..Let’s channel that thought until it becomes a reality!  I think Varly is due for a break down…happens to the best of them and I am not convinced he is the best of them yet…Love to see Jaro silence the few critics he has left…

I want to see Ovenchicken get walloped some time during the playoffs…The way he goes around headhunting he is long overdue to get his…I like his offensive game but the physical side of his game is reckless and the odds are stacking against him…Every dog has his day…

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

43. Bugs says:

Nice!

Vicious, but nice.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

44. HabFanSince72 says:

Devils style hockey doesn’t work any more.

45. Bugs says:

Gotta agree.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

46. Bill J says:

And you accuse me of always jumping in to defend Price.

Meanwhile you jump in at every occasion presented to you to slag him…

Double standard no ? lol.

47. HabFanSince72 says:

Unfortunately the likely scenario is that they step on the gas from the opening whistle.

To think they got 37 shots while never really opening up the throttle.

48. SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, your avatar shows your non-partisan nature in the matter.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

49. Bugs says:

Brian Gionta talks about Shooting the Puck.

On the team’s motivation: “No one wants a spanking on this team(). I’m not saying a guy or two here couldn’t use one () but nobody wants one, no.”

Superfluously redundant, I remain

50. Bill J says:

RE: Lats – I find it funny, granted, that he FINALLY started to park his butt in front of the net & crashed the net when he arrived in Minny.

Now the question to ask yourself is… Is it because he was not used properly by his Head Coach’s in Montreal?

Fair question I would say…

re: the goalie age for prime-time, that can be debated.  Too many goalies to counter your point, suffice it to say “24 as a goalie has never been “Prime-Time” for any goalie in NHL history” is a bit exaggerated.

Like I said to Bob below… Your closing sentence is for sure what I am referring to.

If the plan was to bring JM in as the future GM.  So be it, but in the development of our youth.  I would far prefer GB at the helm.  Sooner the better.

51. adam76 says:

lol @ goaltending solution.  After Wednesday – Price for sure has the class and character to be a true flyer.  Will fit right in.

52. adam76 says:

Do you really think we can get anything more then a couple of draft picks for Price?  This deal could have went through at the start of the season.

53. Bugs says:

They’d sell their mothers before putting Theo in net tomorrow. If they have any brains, that is.

We score 8? Varly eats’em all, I reckon.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

54. Bob Barker says:

Since it’s fun to think about, if Markov had himself as a defensive partner not to mention as his three forwards, the PP would be ridiculous, breakouts would be seamless, and they would dominate puck possession. In reality, he’s been paired with MAB for most of the playoffs, whose defensive abilities can only be described as beer league.

A team of Moen’s would drive hard to the net and battle hard in the corners but who’s going to carry the puck into the zone or play the point on the PP?

55. HabFanSince72 says:

Looks like Gagne and Carter are done for the season. Good news for the Caps if they beat us.

56. Bob Barker says:

I agree, unless it’s a package deal for Carter or maybe JVR+, I don’t like it.

57. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

not in the playoffs…

58. derfab says:

Talented player but how many of his points are tied to ovi? Pleks had 70 this year with lesser players who were injured for a third of the season. i don’t see either of them as elite, just good. Debatable. But it is clear that teams with one true all star have that edge and that only over the others.

59. HabFanSince72 says:

Washington’s 2nd tier players are also pretty good. Guys like Laich, Belanger, Fehr, Morrison. All very fine players.

60. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

DIY players are obsolete or enigmas…the stuff of dreams…keep dreaming about them, i’ll take hard workers with results..not fringe don’t get your hands dirty finesse types…

61. Bob Barker says:

Probably not. I think JT will hit 30-40 goals next year. Stamkos had great chemistry with St-Louis and is fast enough to score off the rush. JT doesn’t have the same supporting cast or the same footspeed.

62. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

like shots matter?….wash has 78 shots and scores 3 times, we have 7 shots and score 4 times….that stat is useless… now he may have 3 shots, but one was a game winner, thats why we are here, and on top of those 3 shots he must have dbl digits in HITS, that are as well game changing.

63. Instant Karma says:

if we arnt getting a big, young, scoring centre (Carter) pass!

64. Storm Man says:

So did I read this right you think Backstrom is a so-so hockey player? If that is the case please watch a sport you know something about.

65. HabFanSince72 says:

Even better idea: keep Price and Halak.

It’s too early to give up on Price.

66. SeriousFan09 says:

Brilliant, give the Flyers a goaltending solution and pick up a fragile winger going on the down half of his career and 2 2nd-round picks, pass.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

67. Danno says:

Hear me now believe me later. Varlamov will have a meltdown at the Bell Centre and will be replaced by Theodore who will continue to stink for the Caps. Halak will shine. Habs will crush the Caps and force a game seven in Washington on Wednesday where they will shock the hockey world and defeat the Caps in seven.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

68. matmacat says:

You’re saying Semin, Backstrom and Green are not elite players? Green scored about 30 goals last year and 20 this year. That’s not him making a pass to OV and OV putting it in. That’s Mike Green putting the puck in the net. I’ll also assume you haven’t watched a single game of this series since you claim Backstrom is not a fantastic player regardless of OV. As for Semin, he played the majority of the regular season on the 2nd line without OV.

So what are you talking about?

69. derfab says:

Price for Gagne and 2nd round 2010, 2011?

70. crabvader says:

OUCH! I agree on maybe Semin and Knuble but Backstrom is a top tier player in the NHL.

He has speed, strength, amazing passing skills and great finish.

Backstrom is any coach’s dream. Seriously, the kid is absolutely phenominal.

He’s had much more of an impact in these playoffs than Ovy has.

71. crabvader says:

Well, Stamkos has been consistent all season long, even when Tampa was in the running.

What I mean by my question is that Stamkos was pretty irrelevant last season. I thought he was overhyped and had no clue why he was in the NHL, truth be told.

Now I want to know if JT is going to pull a Stamkos next year…

72. Bob Barker says:

My team of Markov’s would beat your team of Moen’s

73. avatar_58 says:

Tavares is a little soft no? I still think he’ll be good in time, but it’s not fair to compare him to the guys having amazing seasons. Stamkos is had a breakout year. Call me next year at this time and tell me how he’s doing when it really matters.

ALL players do well once their team is out of the running. Look at the leafs and their AHL’ers. Next year is a different story

74. derfab says:

What we have here is two more or less mediocre teams with one elite forward and a few good goaltenders between them.

Ovechkin makes Semin, Backstrom, Greene and knibbles and bits look much better than they are. Pleks, Gomer and Gionta would also look fantastic playing with a force of natu….err… this type, that’s it, ‘type’.

Washington may just blow it if they don’t accept that they have to bang and crash and play D. just like all the other scrappy teams in this diluted business.

Go Habs Go…and pitchfork Ovi if you have to!

Where’s Bobby Clarke when you need him!