Back to practice on eve of Game 6

Canadiens’ Travis Moen dislodges the net of Capitals’ Semyon Varlamov with a high-speed crash Friday in Game 5.
Jim McIsaac, Getty Images

A tough job, but Moen’s gotta do it: Stubbs
Power outage jolts Capitals: Hickey

The Canadiens return to practice this morning in Brossard to prepare for Monday’s Game 6 against the Washington Capitals.

The Habs we spoke with Saturday – Travis Moen, Hal Gill and Dominic Moore – all echoed a familiar refrain: Friday’s 2-1 Game 5 win in Washington will mean nothing unless they follow up with a victory Monday at home.

Pat Hickey will be at practice late this morning (it begins at 11:30 a.m., for those planning to attend) and will provide updates later today.

The Capitals practice this morning in Arlington, Va., then charter into Montreal later in the day.

1. avatar_58 says:

Bergeron let SEVERAL pucks by him on the blue line. He’s too nervous out there and it’s costing us powerplays. Not that Hamr has helped much in that regard, but at least he can hold the puck in.

2. avatar_58 says:

Yeah thats right. Support the team. lol

I wish I could get the hometown jersey with the ‘H’ on it, the dark blue one. It’s very sexy. Unfortunately it was a one-time deal and I’d have to find someone willing to part with it.

Yes no name. I have no clue where to get it stitched anyway, maybe Copps does it? Change or no I’d love a 76 Subban 😀 However yeah, going no name.

3. mrhabby says:

i blame it all on George Bush.

4. Mr.Hazard says:

TSN.com: the Reporters 2.0 (on the video player), taking stabs at Quebec.

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

5. Mr_MacDougall says:

I like Moen.. but, he has 3 shots in 5 games.. so, you want 12 forwars athat would combine for 36 shots in 5 games?

6. crabvader says:

Moen is a complementary player, not a do-it-yourself’er.

7. Mr_MacDougall says:

Lats had fewer Goals per Game average with Minny than Pouliot with the Habs.. mor etotal goals… but it is easy to look at the numbers and highlights and think Lats is great… Kinda like how me watching Ovechkin this series has shown me he is a lesser version of Brett Hull… does nothing but score goals, lots of the mind yop… what else does he offer? NOTHING!

24 as a goalie has never been “Prime-Time” for any goalie in NHL history that has had long term success, sorry to disagree, but he needs 3-4 more years of seasoning.. at minimum 250 career starts to come into his own.

As for JM, he didn’t give Spezza a chance, so I understand where you come from with the young player thing.

8. crabvader says:

So…does John Tavares turn into Steven Stamkos next season??

9. Bill J says:

Overall great points, your summary is what I loved the best.

And the sooner we see GB the better IMO.

JM, does not strike me as the best candidate to right the ship.

Just my opinion…  You’ve raised some valid points, but as you said.  Some of this doesn’t necessarily fall on JM as much as the Goalie coach for example etc etc…

Good convo Bob – 🙂 — still think JM sucks…. on to another topic lol

10. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Give me a team of MOEN’s and i’ll give you the CUP….

1:The N.A.G. (North American Grit) Youth Movement will bring us respect. 2:The NHL-Ref-Syndicate will do everything in its power to never allow the HABS to win another Stanley Cup. 3:Take it easy on the boys, they are going 110%

11. Bob Barker says:

Martin gave Pouliot a chance to succeed on the second line. He’s just in a slump right now so in a do-or-die game it was the right move to promote Moen to the second line.

O’Byrne has progressed this year. He was much more physical. He’s also 25 so by your definition is not a young player.

I think both goalies improved this year, but that has more to do with the goaltending coach. Some credit has to be given for Martin playing Halak.

Lats has done very well in Minnesota. He’s playing top-line minutes and is actually playing with effort, effort which was definitely lacking in Montreal under Martin, Carbonneau and Gainey. He’s another Ribeiro type in my books. I still think Pouliot will end up being the better player.

That being said, I look forward to seeing Boucher in Montreal precisely because of his ability to work with young players and the results he’s gotten with PK Subban, the next 50+ point NHL defenseman.

12. Mr_MacDougall says:

Stamkos they would

13. Bill J says:

Said it earlier Ted – was widely speculated that JM was losing his job in FLA, after the Bouwmeester debacle FLA ownership wanted a new direction.

14. Mr_MacDougall says:

No Jersey…. FACE PAINT!!!!  Go with the red one.. without a name or number.. AHL changes players way too much.  Love the “Gotta Support the Team”
     ala David Putty

15. dicktracy says:

Washington still doesn’t believe they can lose this series but seems a little pissed that they have to bother with the last seed on their rightful way to the cup finals. Maybe if we take the next one they will finally except that they have an apponent but hopefully they will not wake up until after they loose the series and wonder what the hell just happened here.

16. Big Ted says:

100% agreed. Hamrlik has played well before, even though now he looks tired and/or injured. But there is at least the possibility of him playing well and playing minutes. MAB has made a few nice plays but has shown overall that he is not skilled enough and too under-sized to have any value as an NHl defenceman, particularly against a big team like Washington.

17. Mr_MacDougall says:

MAB is soooooooo done… Hammer is just worn out, loggen way too many minutes for an old guy this season, two days off, after decreased minutes.. he should be ready for a good 15 minute night. MAN and his -8 rating can watch.

BTW Hal Gill is +1 in the series, I liked the signing at the start of the year, nice to see it paying off. I liked Mara too, not sure if he’d be helping us right now if he was healthy anyweay, he was not as good as I thought.

18. Big Ted says:

Boucher would not have been ready to come to the NHL last year, it was a good decision to give him at least a year in the minors. I agree that the contract for JM was too long, but remember that JM was a GM in Florida, I don’t think he would have left his job if he knew he was a one-year fill-in until Boucher was ready.

19. Storm Man says:

You forgot HHOF also

20. Bill J says:

Ok THAT I can see, the way it was written certainly did not imply that.

Because usually when you say “So & So should be promoted, and in the same sentence “…because of the brilliant year he had” it really does not imply Boucher was the one been spoken of.

Boucher should be promoted to Head Coach of the Habs because of the brilliant year he had, and Martin can take the GM job”

is a more apropos statement under the circumstances.

21. notbigbird says:

Sorry, I don’t see it that way. It’s a decision for current owners and managers to make. I do understand what you’re saying though and admit that the $ and contract are factors. But credit him signing Boucher in the first place to develop him just as players are developed in the minors.

22. notbigbird says:

I imagine he’s either speaking ironically, or the “his” refers to Boucher.

23. homerbowen says:

Eberle is too small for a team already loaded with tiny players

24. avatar_58 says:

Despite his lapses I would rather see Hamr out there than MAB. MAB is done, for the love of god stop using him. Hamr just needs a slap across the face to wake him up.

25. avatar_58 says:

No? No one in their right mind would pass up Taylor Hall. Even if he doesn’t immediately light it up he’s going to be a stud in the future. Only the most idiotic of GMs would lose that first round pick they tanked for.

26. bertuzzisucks says:

How About This??

Spacek in, Hamrlik sits.

Bergeron will only play 5 minites of regular ice-time anyway. And we dont want that defense on 4th line crap.

Forwards should stay the same with 4th line getting few minutes with the occasional Cammy shift.

Habs in Seven!!

Are you going to bark all day little doggy?
    Or are you going to bite?

27. punkster says:

STORM THE BASTILLE!

28. Bill J says:

& The equally important factor in this equation.

Convince Roy to come out of retirement and play for the Habs.

Then the commercial becomes

“What if Roy didn’t come out of retirement to once again stone Sandstrom”

lol

29. Big Ted says:

Even with Khabibulin, the Oilers would be fools not to listen to an offer that includes one of our goalies. Look at where chicago would be with only Huet or Washington with only Theo. Don’t you think Phillly would have preferred to have  another option after Emery than Leighton or Boucher? The fact is that a young goalie with a big upside is a luxury a lot of teams would like. I don’t think Edmonton deals its first pick unless there is something else in the package (Subban, Markov, AK46, or someone like that). But the kid we might be able to squeeze out of Edmonton would be Jordan Eberle, who is more the kind of player we need, a hard-nosed, clutch guy who can also score. If I’m PG, that’s the guy I am realistically targeting to see what edm would want for him.

30. punkster says:

This whole never-had-luck-in-the-post-season knock on JM was and still is a poor argument for getting rid of him. How did the Panthers and Sens do without him? If you use his various team post-season records as a measure of him as a coach then you absolve his players (past and present), not to mention the rest of the coaching staff, management and ownership (past and present), from all responsibility for losing. Do you absolve all the present Habs players from any responsibility for their poor showing this season?

Rob, I’m just tired of the folks here always looking to assign “blame” when things aren’t going right. Blame Carbo, blame Gainey, blame JM. In game blame always has to be hung on one or two or three players (well, only one when it comes to your comments ;). Blame, blame, blame. And I’m not even going there with your Gomez thing.

31. avatar_58 says:

Going to the ‘dogs game tonight. I figure I might also pickup a jersey since I’ve gotten so many free tickets. White or Red? I’m not a huge fan of the current design with the lines across the arms, but gotta support the team 😉

32. Big Ted says:

So you’re saying we need to find a way for the Caps to sign Tomas Sandstrom?

33. Bash says:

SIT MAB!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

34. DONJUAN says:

They still have nick khabibulin for 3 years if he gets out of the drunk tank in arizona, wishfull thinking but Edmonton going to hold that pick.

In HABS we trust.

35. Bill J says:

2 part answer…

Think: probably within 2 years, likely NOT this upcoming season.

Hope: As of the day after the Habs play the last game of the playoffs they are involved in.

36. Exit716 says:

Boudreau sounds like a guy who knows if they lose this series he’s out of a job and back to riding the buses in the AHL.

37. MontrealAtheist says:

Friday’s game shows that it is very well possible to defend a first period lead vs. the Caps until the end of the game, but given the Caps’ reputation for turning games around in the 3rd period and turning on the heat (they outshot the Habs very badly in the 3rd period) I would strongly recommend not to pursue this tactic on Monday.

38. Bill J says:

Wow – nice catch, I had not made the connection…

Cool!

39. mrhabby says:

when do you think boucher takes over from martin.

40. Bill J says:

Sorry my reply came off as a little snappy, I mean the Turds where tanking for a few years…. Martin benefited from it.

Montreal does not tank, so Martin must work with youth that is NOT a top pick.

IE Detroit’s Mike Babcock who has had to work with talented youth that was not drafted at the top of the draft.

41. Bill J says:

Pick & choose the games you want to use as examples as opposed to the “big picture” – fine…

Halak is no longer in the youth bracket, at 24 he is entering Prime-Time now.  Clearly this year was his coming out party, and he has arrived.

Thank GOD O’B played – notice how the team won too ?

Dags was just another name to throw in, IE another player JM said was not worth the time.

Lats ? Are you seriously choosing to NOT acknowledge what he HAS done with Minny ?

Pouliot ?  He is a top 5 pick, I would hope a change of scenery would help him.  But to say he has progressed is ignoring some MAJOR issues.

42. mrhabby says:

okay..given to him on the platter…..i really did not know , thats why i asked the question.

43. Bill J says:

Martin developed top picks he was given on a silver platter ?

Really ?

OK…  Our youth are all garbage then, because JM says so.

44. Bob Barker says:

O’B played 16 min last game and played very well.

Halak is a young player. How has JM mishandled Price? He allowed them to compete for the starting job and went with the guy that played better this season. Post-Olympics, Price has turned in some very solid performances.

D’Agostini is a marginal NHL who couldn’t produce. He hasn’t done anything in St-Louis either.

Lats was the laziest player on the team before being traded. He didn’t earn his ice time.

Pouliot finished with 24 points in 39 GP with the Habs after doing nothing with Minnesota. Last game was the first time he’s played less 15 minutes all playoffs.

45. otter649 says:

The Oilers are not looking for a goalie since they lost Khaibulian to injury which explains alot of their woes and after that things just got worse for them as well they do have a good goaltending prospect in DesLauriers (sp) no way Edmonton makes a trade like that………..

46. Bill J says:

“He should promote JM to assistant GM after his brilliant year.”

WTF !!!!!! Am I in the twilight zone ???

While I agree with the next part of your sentence, it would be a major mistake to let Boucher go.

The first part makes no sense.

Brilliant ? – Yeah that’s why Martin is the front runner for Coach of the year.

47. mrhabby says:

did martin have sucess in ottawa developing younger players…maybe with time he lost that edge but i thought he was quite good while being the coach with the sens.

48. otter649 says:

That spot where History will be made with Patrick Roy making a glove save in the 1986 Playoffs OT Game against The Rangers with the player shooting the puck was Tomas Sandstom fast forward to the 1993 Stanley Cup Final Series Habs vs Kings when Patrick Roy does his “famous wink” the player he directed his wink to Tomas Sandstrom sent to The Kings by The Rangers between 86 – 93……….

49. terrygain says:

It’s on Gauthier’s head if we lose Boucher.  He should promote JM to assistant GM after his brilliant year.  It would be a major mistake to let Boucher go elsewhere. We lose nothing if he doesn’t work out. Martin prefers to play  Lapierre on the 3rd line over the 201 pound  SK74, who had 131 points in 2006/7. Lapierre has no offensive talent. He agitates the opposition- not to take penalties against us but to try harder.  He agitates and then turtles.

50. Bill J says:

Lats / Dags / O’B / Price… to name a few…

In fact what young player has succeeded with JM so far ???

51. Shublips says:

That would be a great trade for Montreal but I also doubt the Edmonton would go for it.  They need more than just goaltending to fix what ails them!

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

52. Bill J says:

“I don’t know why you would give them the choice…”

Oh I don’t know, because the #1 pick represents MORE value then either of our goalies ?  Thus Edmonton is in the position of power when negotiating.

It was purely hypothetical, if you think Edmonton would trade the #1 overall pick to MTL for a Goalie & our 1st rounder, your <fill in the blank as to how crazy you seem to think I AM>!

53. Bob Barker says:

JM definitely dislikes SK74 but I don’t see him as someone unable to work with young players.

54. Bill J says:

I guess your right – Jaro has more value, and will be traded.

Wanna start crying now ?

55. mrhabby says:

nice one,  that being said i would be surprised to see it happen because edmonton really has its heart on selecting a 1st overall and they need a scorer…if it did happen do we really want martin involved seems to me boucher would be the better coach on ability to deal with young players.

56. terrygain says:

They would choose Price if they haven’t been watching Halak this year.

57. HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t think Edmonton would trade away their 1st pick for anything.

58. terrygain says:

I don’t know why you would give them the choice of a number two goalie with a history of allowing soft goal or the  number one goalie who got us into the playoffs. What would we do for a number one goalie?

59. Bill J says:

Ok for curiosity’s sake.

Do you trust JM with Berglund ?

60. Bob Barker says:

I doubt Edmonton makes that trade. I’m not one of the people here who thinks Price has no value but I don’t see that trade happening.

I’d like to see Price to St-Louis for Patrik Berglund, 6’3 centre, first-line potential.

61. Bill J says:

IF Edmonton was prepared to make this trade (I Doubt it though, because they need/want a flashy scorer – see Taylor Hall) BADLY!!!

However – I suspect they would choose Price under these circumstances, as he is “very close” to being a local boy for Edmonton.

Even under those circumstances though, Id say make the deal (IF Edmonton was foolish enough to trade a pick that would give them the player they NEED)

More important question is:

Do we trust JM with Taylor Hall ???? :-/

62. The Juice says:

What do you guys think of this trade: Offer Edmonton their choice of either Halak or Price, plus the Habs 1st round pick this year, for Edmonton’s 1st overall pick? This solves the Oiler’s goaltending woes and still gets them another top prospect, while it solves the Habs goaltending issues and gives them a potential franchise player.

Thoughts?

63. nychabsfan says:

nychabshan

Regarding Gainey-His inconsistency remains consistent.I think the game has passed him as well plus the personal issues that he has undergone have overtaken his decision making IMO.I think the brothers Molsen need to get up to speed quickly.I believe when it comes to scouting the habs need European representatives.I also think they need to spend time really learning their prospects and making sure they have the mental fortitude to deal with the pressure cooker that is Montreal,it is exceptional.Akost is deadwood,pkg. him for next season and get your moneys worth now.Clearly the new blood has been a great influence and brought the proper attitude towards the team(Gionta,Gomez,Camm,Gill)we need more of that.Lapierre looks back on track.Price is an enigma,I hope we can solve it…

64. nychabsfan says:

nychabshan

65. Bill J says:

Hmmm lol – moron ? Maybe not THAT far.

Useless with the youth – yup!

Dinosaur among coaches – yup!

moron – well let’s not go too far… lol

Enjoy your day as well lol

66. Bill J says:

Agreed 100%

Don’t understand how he could pickup Boucher (a GREAT move considering his schooling and the type of Coach he is) & then sign JM for so long like that.

For Every “good” or decent move Gainey did, he seemed to throw in another 2 bonehead moves.

67. tony d says:

Good morning. JM is a moron. I have no hard facts to back up this claim, just a gut feeling. Enjoy the rest of your day.

68. SmartDog says:

If Boucher goes someplace else, it’s on Gainey’s head.

I think Martin is okay, but five years to a coach who has never had luck in the post-season, and who’s long in the tooth to boot.  #2 in the list of dumb long contracts Gainey got us in to.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

69. Bill J says:

So long as they offer a performance like Friday, win or lose.  It will be respected.

I think though, playing as they did on Friday gives the Habs the best chance to legitimately compete with ANY team in the league.

70. dre1744 says:

the Penguins game just goes to show that you must play a solid 60 minutes against a top notch club. Yes the Sens jumped out to a 3 – 0 lead but then what they took a page out of JM coaching book and sat back in the third.

Lets hope if montreal gets a nice lead tommorow they keep attacking the caps and not sit back or we all know how the game will end.

71. Bill J says:

“Why would a GM step back down into the coaching ranks like Martin did?”

He didn’t necessarily, it was widely speculated that he was about to get fired by FLA.  Martin would have been un-employed if not for Gainey sweeping in to save the day for JM.

RE: Boucher staying in Hamilton one more year ?  I think the youth in Montreal who can not be sent down to Hamilton to work with Boucher, they WANT Boucher.  Cuz JM sucks developing the youth.

Ask Lats, Dags, SK74, O’Byrne & Price…

72. TommyB says:

Interesting idea, bringing Boucher in as an assistant coach.  However, traditionally, coaches decide who their assistants will be.  Hard to imagine JM bringing up Boucher to breathe over his shoulder and eventually steal his job.

Unless….and it’s hard to imagine the Montreal brass thinking this far ahead, but, unless it has been part of the plan all along with the hiring of JM.  Why would a GM step back down into the coaching ranks like Martin did?  Anyway, I for one would like to see what Boucher does in Hamilton for an encore next year.  One successful season at the AHL level does not make an NHL coach out of anyone, IMO.  I’d rather see one more year of Boucher in the minors and have some kind of comparison to make.  The Habs have been far too knee-jerk in their decisions lately, if you ask me.

73. Bill J says:

“Martin will assure himself of one more season should we beat the Caps.”

Your probably right 🙁

Doesn’t make it the right choice though….

74. Caper says:

They’ve got to make sure that they keep Boucher. I think he will be smart enough to season himself one more year in the AHL or assistant in Montreal (bye Kirk?). Martin will assure himself of one more season should we beat the Caps.