Back to practice on eve of Game 6

Canadiens’ Travis Moen dislodges the net of Capitals’ Semyon Varlamov with a high-speed crash Friday in Game 5.
Jim McIsaac, Getty Images

A tough job, but Moen’s gotta do it: Stubbs
Power outage jolts Capitals: Hickey

The Canadiens return to practice this morning in Brossard to prepare for Monday’s Game 6 against the Washington Capitals.

The Habs we spoke with Saturday – Travis Moen, Hal Gill and Dominic Moore – all echoed a familiar refrain: Friday’s 2-1 Game 5 win in Washington will mean nothing unless they follow up with a victory Monday at home.

Pat Hickey will be at practice late this morning (it begins at 11:30 a.m., for those planning to attend) and will provide updates later today.

The Capitals practice this morning in Arlington, Va., then charter into Montreal later in the day.

1. Big Ted says:

Even with Khabibulin, the Oilers would be fools not to listen to an offer that includes one of our goalies. Look at where chicago would be with only Huet or Washington with only Theo. Don’t you think Phillly would have preferred to have  another option after Emery than Leighton or Boucher? The fact is that a young goalie with a big upside is a luxury a lot of teams would like. I don’t think Edmonton deals its first pick unless there is something else in the package (Subban, Markov, AK46, or someone like that). But the kid we might be able to squeeze out of Edmonton would be Jordan Eberle, who is more the kind of player we need, a hard-nosed, clutch guy who can also score. If I’m PG, that’s the guy I am realistically targeting to see what edm would want for him.

2. punkster says:

This whole never-had-luck-in-the-post-season knock on JM was and still is a poor argument for getting rid of him. How did the Panthers and Sens do without him? If you use his various team post-season records as a measure of him as a coach then you absolve his players (past and present), not to mention the rest of the coaching staff, management and ownership (past and present), from all responsibility for losing. Do you absolve all the present Habs players from any responsibility for their poor showing this season?

Rob, I’m just tired of the folks here always looking to assign “blame” when things aren’t going right. Blame Carbo, blame Gainey, blame JM. In game blame always has to be hung on one or two or three players (well, only one when it comes to your comments ;). Blame, blame, blame. And I’m not even going there with your Gomez thing.

3. avatar_58 says:

Going to the ‘dogs game tonight. I figure I might also pickup a jersey since I’ve gotten so many free tickets. White or Red? I’m not a huge fan of the current design with the lines across the arms, but gotta support the team ;)

4. Big Ted says:

So you’re saying we need to find a way for the Caps to sign Tomas Sandstrom?

5. Bash says:

SIT MAB!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

6. DONJUAN says:

They still have nick khabibulin for 3 years if he gets out of the drunk tank in arizona, wishfull thinking but Edmonton going to hold that pick.

In HABS we trust.

7. Bill J says:

2 part answer…

Think: probably within 2 years, likely NOT this upcoming season.

Hope: As of the day after the Habs play the last game of the playoffs they are involved in.

8. Exit716 says:

Boudreau sounds like a guy who knows if they lose this series he’s out of a job and back to riding the buses in the AHL.

9. MontrealAtheist says:

Friday’s game shows that it is very well possible to defend a first period lead vs. the Caps until the end of the game, but given the Caps’ reputation for turning games around in the 3rd period and turning on the heat (they outshot the Habs very badly in the 3rd period) I would strongly recommend not to pursue this tactic on Monday.

10. Bill J says:

Wow – nice catch, I had not made the connection…

Cool!

11. mrhabby says:

when do you think boucher takes over from martin.

12. Bill J says:

Sorry my reply came off as a little snappy, I mean the Turds where tanking for a few years…. Martin benefited from it.

Montreal does not tank, so Martin must work with youth that is NOT a top pick.

IE Detroit’s Mike Babcock who has had to work with talented youth that was not drafted at the top of the draft.

13. Bill J says:

Pick & choose the games you want to use as examples as opposed to the “big picture” – fine…

Halak is no longer in the youth bracket, at 24 he is entering Prime-Time now.  Clearly this year was his coming out party, and he has arrived.

Thank GOD O’B played – notice how the team won too ?

Dags was just another name to throw in, IE another player JM said was not worth the time.

Lats ? Are you seriously choosing to NOT acknowledge what he HAS done with Minny ?

Pouliot ?  He is a top 5 pick, I would hope a change of scenery would help him.  But to say he has progressed is ignoring some MAJOR issues.

14. mrhabby says:

okay..given to him on the platter…..i really did not know , thats why i asked the question.

15. Bill J says:

Martin developed top picks he was given on a silver platter ?

Really ?

OK…  Our youth are all garbage then, because JM says so.

16. Bob Barker says:

O’B played 16 min last game and played very well.

Halak is a young player. How has JM mishandled Price? He allowed them to compete for the starting job and went with the guy that played better this season. Post-Olympics, Price has turned in some very solid performances.

D’Agostini is a marginal NHL who couldn’t produce. He hasn’t done anything in St-Louis either.

Lats was the laziest player on the team before being traded. He didn’t earn his ice time.

Pouliot finished with 24 points in 39 GP with the Habs after doing nothing with Minnesota. Last game was the first time he’s played less 15 minutes all playoffs.

17. otter649 says:

The Oilers are not looking for a goalie since they lost Khaibulian to injury which explains alot of their woes and after that things just got worse for them as well they do have a good goaltending prospect in DesLauriers (sp) no way Edmonton makes a trade like that………..

18. Bill J says:

“He should promote JM to assistant GM after his brilliant year.”

WTF !!!!!! Am I in the twilight zone ???

While I agree with the next part of your sentence, it would be a major mistake to let Boucher go.

The first part makes no sense.

Brilliant ? – Yeah that’s why Martin is the front runner for Coach of the year.

19. mrhabby says:

did martin have sucess in ottawa developing younger players…maybe with time he lost that edge but i thought he was quite good while being the coach with the sens.

20. otter649 says:

That spot where History will be made with Patrick Roy making a glove save in the 1986 Playoffs OT Game against The Rangers with the player shooting the puck was Tomas Sandstom fast forward to the 1993 Stanley Cup Final Series Habs vs Kings when Patrick Roy does his “famous wink” the player he directed his wink to Tomas Sandstrom sent to The Kings by The Rangers between 86 – 93……….

21. terrygain says:

It’s on Gauthier’s head if we lose Boucher.  He should promote JM to assistant GM after his brilliant year.  It would be a major mistake to let Boucher go elsewhere. We lose nothing if he doesn’t work out. Martin prefers to play  Lapierre on the 3rd line over the 201 pound  SK74, who had 131 points in 2006/7. Lapierre has no offensive talent. He agitates the opposition- not to take penalties against us but to try harder.  He agitates and then turtles.

22. Bill J says:

Lats / Dags / O’B / Price… to name a few…

In fact what young player has succeeded with JM so far ???

23. Shublips says:

That would be a great trade for Montreal but I also doubt the Edmonton would go for it.  They need more than just goaltending to fix what ails them!

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

24. Bill J says:

“I don’t know why you would give them the choice…”

Oh I don’t know, because the #1 pick represents MORE value then either of our goalies ?  Thus Edmonton is in the position of power when negotiating.

It was purely hypothetical, if you think Edmonton would trade the #1 overall pick to MTL for a Goalie & our 1st rounder, your <fill in the blank as to how crazy you seem to think I AM>!

25. Bob Barker says:

JM definitely dislikes SK74 but I don’t see him as someone unable to work with young players.

26. Bill J says:

I guess your right – Jaro has more value, and will be traded.

Wanna start crying now ?

27. mrhabby says:

nice one,  that being said i would be surprised to see it happen because edmonton really has its heart on selecting a 1st overall and they need a scorer…if it did happen do we really want martin involved seems to me boucher would be the better coach on ability to deal with young players.

28. terrygain says:

They would choose Price if they haven’t been watching Halak this year.

29. HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t think Edmonton would trade away their 1st pick for anything.

30. terrygain says:

I don’t know why you would give them the choice of a number two goalie with a history of allowing soft goal or the  number one goalie who got us into the playoffs. What would we do for a number one goalie?

31. Bill J says:

Ok for curiosity’s sake.

Do you trust JM with Berglund ?

32. Bob Barker says:

I doubt Edmonton makes that trade. I’m not one of the people here who thinks Price has no value but I don’t see that trade happening.

I’d like to see Price to St-Louis for Patrik Berglund, 6’3 centre, first-line potential.

33. Bill J says:

IF Edmonton was prepared to make this trade (I Doubt it though, because they need/want a flashy scorer – see Taylor Hall) BADLY!!!

However – I suspect they would choose Price under these circumstances, as he is “very close” to being a local boy for Edmonton.

Even under those circumstances though, Id say make the deal (IF Edmonton was foolish enough to trade a pick that would give them the player they NEED)

More important question is:

Do we trust JM with Taylor Hall ???? :-/

34. The Juice says:

What do you guys think of this trade: Offer Edmonton their choice of either Halak or Price, plus the Habs 1st round pick this year, for Edmonton’s 1st overall pick? This solves the Oiler’s goaltending woes and still gets them another top prospect, while it solves the Habs goaltending issues and gives them a potential franchise player.

Thoughts?

35. nychabsfan says:

nychabshan

Regarding Gainey-His inconsistency remains consistent.I think the game has passed him as well plus the personal issues that he has undergone have overtaken his decision making IMO.I think the brothers Molsen need to get up to speed quickly.I believe when it comes to scouting the habs need European representatives.I also think they need to spend time really learning their prospects and making sure they have the mental fortitude to deal with the pressure cooker that is Montreal,it is exceptional.Akost is deadwood,pkg. him for next season and get your moneys worth now.Clearly the new blood has been a great influence and brought the proper attitude towards the team(Gionta,Gomez,Camm,Gill)we need more of that.Lapierre looks back on track.Price is an enigma,I hope we can solve it…

36. nychabsfan says:

nychabshan

37. Bill J says:

Hmmm lol – moron ? Maybe not THAT far.

Useless with the youth – yup!

Dinosaur among coaches – yup!

moron – well let’s not go too far… lol

Enjoy your day as well lol

38. Bill J says:

Agreed 100%

Don’t understand how he could pickup Boucher (a GREAT move considering his schooling and the type of Coach he is) & then sign JM for so long like that.

For Every “good” or decent move Gainey did, he seemed to throw in another 2 bonehead moves.

39. tony d says:

Good morning. JM is a moron. I have no hard facts to back up this claim, just a gut feeling. Enjoy the rest of your day.

40. SmartDog says:

If Boucher goes someplace else, it’s on Gainey’s head.

I think Martin is okay, but five years to a coach who has never had luck in the post-season, and who’s long in the tooth to boot.  #2 in the list of dumb long contracts Gainey got us in to.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

41. Bill J says:

So long as they offer a performance like Friday, win or lose.  It will be respected.

I think though, playing as they did on Friday gives the Habs the best chance to legitimately compete with ANY team in the league.

42. dre1744 says:

the Penguins game just goes to show that you must play a solid 60 minutes against a top notch club. Yes the Sens jumped out to a 3 – 0 lead but then what they took a page out of JM coaching book and sat back in the third.

Lets hope if montreal gets a nice lead tommorow they keep attacking the caps and not sit back or we all know how the game will end.

43. Bill J says:

“Why would a GM step back down into the coaching ranks like Martin did?”

He didn’t necessarily, it was widely speculated that he was about to get fired by FLA.  Martin would have been un-employed if not for Gainey sweeping in to save the day for JM.

RE: Boucher staying in Hamilton one more year ?  I think the youth in Montreal who can not be sent down to Hamilton to work with Boucher, they WANT Boucher.  Cuz JM sucks developing the youth.

Ask Lats, Dags, SK74, O’Byrne & Price…

44. TommyB says:

Interesting idea, bringing Boucher in as an assistant coach.  However, traditionally, coaches decide who their assistants will be.  Hard to imagine JM bringing up Boucher to breathe over his shoulder and eventually steal his job.

Unless….and it’s hard to imagine the Montreal brass thinking this far ahead, but, unless it has been part of the plan all along with the hiring of JM.  Why would a GM step back down into the coaching ranks like Martin did?  Anyway, I for one would like to see what Boucher does in Hamilton for an encore next year.  One successful season at the AHL level does not make an NHL coach out of anyone, IMO.  I’d rather see one more year of Boucher in the minors and have some kind of comparison to make.  The Habs have been far too knee-jerk in their decisions lately, if you ask me.

45. Bill J says:

“Martin will assure himself of one more season should we beat the Caps.”

Your probably right :(

Doesn’t make it the right choice though….

46. Caper says:

They’ve got to make sure that they keep Boucher. I think he will be smart enough to season himself one more year in the AHL or assistant in Montreal (bye Kirk?). Martin will assure himself of one more season should we beat the Caps.

47. HabFab says:

Is that the straight poop!

Bad and too much! Of course you can now add “pooper scooper” to your illustrious titles!

48. Bob Barker says:

Well it’s good you haven’t written him off. Look at his game log, he was producing at a decent pace until 12 games ago.

In the 12 games following the Olympic break, he had 4 goals and 5 assists. Pretty good production.

In the 12 games since, he has 0 goals and 2 assists.

49. ManApart says:

RFA does not fall under the category of a year in which a new contract must be negotiated and signed? Look it up. I could post an equally long list of players that had average or below average seasons in a contract year. So if pros can turn it up in a contract year, why do half of them choose not to? Maybe a few can and do, but to generalise it as a rule for the reason a player is doing well, is flawed. I bet that if a study was done, it is almost just as likely, a player does the same or worse than his career average, rather than better in a contract year. Maybe slightly better, but no way enough to make it a rule…..Look at last year, Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Higgins, Dandy, Begin, Bouillion, Ryder the year before, Price this year. All contract years, all average to below average seasons according to their own standards. And the final point to prove your theory wrong about Pleks. It was a contract year for him last season. He had a bad season. So does that mean Pleks doesn’t think it’s important to turn in up during a RFA year, but only during a UFA year? Now that is kind of nuts.

50. ManApart says:

First of all it’s been a pattern his whole NHL career and it’s more like the past 20+ games with the Habs. Secondly, when did I say, I wrote him off. I said he’s blowing his chance “so far”. I didn’t say trade him. You definately give the guy a full opportunity next year to play on the top 6 and PP and see how it goes, before making any final assessment.

51. Bill J says:

Not my defence, so will assume Priceberg’s lol

My defense is – he is not the first nor the last.  And ultimately if Jaro was given till he was 24 to break out, Price as a backup to Jaro should also be given the chance to break out by the age of 24.

Goalies develop at a far different pace then other players, I will assume you know this.

So @ 22 it is FAR too early to quit on him.

Someone listed a bunch of “busts” who had won WJC & Calder Cups.

NONE of which EVER showed moments of brilliance as Price has.

This past season was a GARBAGE season for the HABS – the proof is in Price’s GAA & Save %.  He had little to no goal support on MANY of those losses.  Jaro has had much better luck, and his maturity (at the age of 24) has shown to be a great asset.

52. derfab says:

ditto. habs should be up 3-2. bad breaks in game 2 defines the series so far. albeit the continuing advantage, caps still won’t go far given the way pitt, philly have played.

53. ManApart says:

All right, I blame both Lat’s and Pouliot’s parents, for not instilling a better work ethic and sense of responsability in them, to have a Gionta type attitude towards life and towards their chosen profession. I blame the French fans and media for giving Lats a sense of entitlement and for making him out to be more than he was (equivalent of Price on the english side), in turn creating a spoiled man-child who thought he didn’t have to work for anything. I do blame Gainey for not having him play at least a  year in the AHL to develop.And foremost, I blame the players themselves, for not having the character and fortitude to listen to what their coaches are telling them and WORK HARD.

54. Bob Barker says:

He’s struggled for the past 10-12 games, he was bound to have a slump at some point. Maybe you should give him a full season in the nhl before you write him off.

55. ManApart says:

I know Carbo is with you on that one. He’s on the record saying he wishes he had a team with 12 Tom Kostopouloses. I wonder who would win, your team of Moens or Carbos team of Tm the Bombs?

56. Bill H says:

The truth is, Paul, that we will never know what could have been and what would have been with Latendresse under a different set of circumstances.  Latendresse was lighting it up in the Q with 51GP  43G  40A  +/- +20  He was still underage, if I remember correctly, and so he was not eligible to play in the AHL.  He had a great training camp, so Canadiens management made the decision to let him have a shot with the big club, rather than play another year in junior.  In retrospect, that might have been a mistake.  For sure there was a lot of fan and media pressure to bring up the next big francophone star.

So Latendresse never really met inflated expectations in Montreal.  He played 3 full years and scored 16, 16 and 14 goals – not too bad, but way short of expectations.  The wheels came off this past season, with only 2G in 23GP.  Its easy to blame JM for that, but what evidence is there that it was his fault?  Latendresse was not trying.  He got traded to Minnesota and now he’s trying.

Montreal is a unique hockey environment, especially for a francophone hockey player.  Why do you think so many refuse to come play here?  You acknowledge that with your comment about playoff hockey in October.  Its just simplistic and convenient to blame JM.  Maybe even lazy…like Latendresse.  ;-)

57. Storm Man says:

Price is UFA this year? no he is not but anyways if I was to post all the players whos stats were better come contract year the HIO site would crash. To say pros in any sport cant turn it on come contract year is a little nuts.

58. Bugs says:

Aww…

What’s the point of gettin pissed if ya can’t blame nobody?

Point some fingers, Manny, c’mon!

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

59. ManApart says:

Ya, pretty much. That’s why we can’t really blame Gainey for that one. Lats was playing terribly for whatever reason and it just wasn’t going to happen. It’s too bad Pouliot is blowing it. He had a perfect opportunity, to have a fresh start, and play with 2 very good, professional players. He was given a great chance and so far has blown it. Teams don’t give up on 22 year old, 4 pick overall choices, for nothing.

60. ABHabsfan says:

I agree Ovechkin has a woopin’ coming his way I just don’t think the Habs have anyone to do it. They should just concentrate on limiting his chances and trying to keep him off his game. I wonder what Lord Bettman thinks of his “face of the league” snow-hosing a little kid carrying a flag? What an idiot move by an equally idiot player.

Also regarding the object of P MacGuire`s man-love: is there no longer a limit on stick curves. I know they increased the limit to ¾ inch but look at Ovie`s stick at looks like a Bobby Hull special. Could a McSorley move be in the offing

61. ABHabsfan says:

62. MontrealAtheist says:

Price is nothing more than an average goalie with a bad temper. I say the sooner we get rid of him the better since it will resolve these unnecessary struggles as to who is the #1. If one or two 3rd round picks is all we are offered for Price then so be it, we should still take the offer.

Price has had enough time to redeem himself in Montreal and quite frankly he hasn’t done anything for this team yet. Any potential that he may have is useless unless it’s actually realized and quite frankly I don’t see that anytime soon and we cannot afford to keep an average goalie on the payroll for many years to come just because he might some day realize all that potential that he is rumoured to have.

63. ManApart says:

The theory that a guy can just turn it on anytime he wants, and does, because it’s a contract year, is very flawed. Just look at Price.

64. Storm Man says:

I like Pleks just not sold on paying him 5.5-6 mil unless it is a 3 year deal.

65. SeriousFan09 says:

So exactly like Lats before we traded him then?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

66. Bill H says:

Last time Pleks had a contract year was 2008-2009.  Remember?  He signed last summer to a one year deal.  So what were his stats last contract year? GP 80  G20  A19  Pts39  +/- -9  This was after his break out year with 29G.  So it had nothing to do with contract year and everything to do with his own commitment to excellence.  Let’s give credit where credit is due, rather than suggest that it was Plekanec’s greed that motivated him.

67. ManApart says:

That Pouliot aquisition is looking worse and worse everyday. Soft, lazy, terrible defensively and now no scoring at all. He played less than 5 mins last game and has now been replaced by Moen. Doesn’t say much for the guy.

68. SeriousFan09 says:

Well hey, remember in 07-08 when we were facing the ‘Ruins and we figured since we went 8 for 8 against them in the regular it was 5 games tops for the series? That nearly blew up in our faces. No. 1 seeds always see the first round of the playoffs as a formality, they get complacent and it sometimes costs them dearly.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

69. Big Ted says:

The Caps really do seem to be acting like they expected to beat us in 4 or 5 games max. They haven’t explicitly stated that in public yet, but this whole bit about how they’re disappointed in themselves for allowing this series ot go on so long is another way of saying they don’t think we deserve to be playing against them. Boudreau acts like this series is a formality to him, Ovechkin seems to take the whole thing as a joke… the Habs can say all they want that they don’t believe in bulletin board material, but come on. If I were on the Canadiens, I’d be fired up to know how little the Caps think of us. There is no way they should be allowed to take all 3 games on our own ice. We need to score early and keep a lead so the fans stay on the caps and the refs.

70. SeriousFan09 says:

That Boucher influenced Sergei? All reports indicated Boucher and his assistants spent a lot of time working with the younger Kostitsyn down in Hamilton and when he came up again, he was playing two-way forward and stopped taking bad penalties, a complete change from what he had done before.

As for JM not doing much with the young players, who really has done a lot this year in the youth group besides OB and Halak? Nobody really, they’ve mostly gone through cold and hot streaks, but mostly cold ones.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

71. adam76 says:

Your defense of Price is he is a nice young lad who is very good with autographs.  or maybe that was Priceburg:)

It all good Bill.

72. Storm Man says:

It is his contract year, Nothing more nothing less.

73. Bugs says:

It was an…interesting scoop, lemme tell ya.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

74. TorontoHabsFan says:

That’s some specious reasoning there. By the same logic I could say that it’s all Martin’s doing that caused Plekanec to have such a great season.

75. adam76 says:

Talk to anyone who played Major Junior – if you don’t have maturity at 17, you will never get it.

To be 22, to be starting your 4th season in the NHL and to still have maturity issues – is an embarrassment.

76. Bill J says:

Oye what a brutal thing it is to talk to people with selective memory lapses.

What was that Agent’s name — hmmmm Oh Yeah Allan Walsh.

Whose agent is he again ???? hmmmm Oh yeah HALAK.

What famous Twitter did he tweet this season… Don’t even GO there about people complaining about being on the bench.

Not Once has Price OR his agent complained about being on the bench, find me ONE quote to that effect.  While your looking – have a look how many times Price has supported Jaro, all throughout Jaro’s successful run.

Immature fanbase….  Look at yourself in the mirror!  ;)

77. adam76 says:

Do you have some sort of program that monitors this site?  A search function that emails you the second someone takes a shot at “your boy”?

Unless Price is a blood relation, I don’t understand your “dedication” to him.

78. Storm Man says:

Bill all of this is a trend or fad to be on the hate Price bus right now.

79. Bill J says:

Keep thinking about it – maybe eventually you will think to yourself

“Hmmm Maybe we should NOT throw him away, not quite yet anyways”

When you do, you will likely have a better understanding as to why…

Consider this, I don’t understand your “hatred” to him.  Because let’s face it, everyone here knows you HATE him…. It’s beyond anything I’ve seen thrown at Jaro (if you take the blatantly non-hockey related defenses)

80. Bill J says:

Then please use arguments that make sense.

81. adam76 says:

very dramatic.

82. Chuck says:

I guess that I missed that bus.

83. Bill J says:

Well… even I must admit Carey has earned “some” of what he is getting, I just think certain things that are being said are VERY extreme &/or excessive &/or Total B.S.

Carey does need to mature, he needs Boucher to be his Head Coach.  Not Martin, who really has never had much success getting the best out of young talent.

Neither did Carbo really…  That’s another discussion entirely.

Boucher = not only the solution to Price, IMO.  The solution to MANY of our youth issues.

84. Bill J says:

huh ? lol because I used your P.O.V. to make a point ?

or because I called out your hatred for Price ?

Ok Adam…

85. terrygain says:

If he can’t, he will be traded and his immature fanbase can follow him to whatever team he goes to.

Two thumbs up. I was surprised when I came here and saw so many Carey price fans (not true  Montreal fans)  attacking the goalie who got us into the playoffs. I have no axe to grind with Carey. He might someday be a number one goalie, but I say we trade the Pricebots for a bag of pucks.

86. Bill J says:

Oh here we go again with Halakian-troll.

Here we go – now it will become a real Price Hatemonger festival again.

87. terrygain says:

Make sense? What does Walsh’s tweet have to do with who is the better goalie?

88. andrewberkshire says:

What are you, Sergei Kostitsyn?

89. Chuck says:

90. adam76 says:

I am not a teenage girl – thus don’t “love” or “hate” players.

My point was to question your undying love and you need to post 35 seconds after someone takes a shot at “your boy’ (valid or not).  You responded by asking me why I “hate” Price.  My response to that response is a facepalm.

91. terrygain says:

No one is suggesting Price be thrown away. Halak has had a much better year and yet Price will likely bring us more in a trade. As someone with no emotional preference for one over the other, it’s obvious to me which one we should trade.

92. Bill J says:

Nothing – Seriously you need to learn how to read!

Not to mention your so dumb, you did a FULLY BOLD reply applauding “Hab Tab” for the post saying Price was complaining on the bench.

Which is the comment that started this conversation.

Not too complicated right ?

93. Bill J says:

Then you prove your age or maturity level (face palm – how mature). Either way the irony of you bitching about Price is not lost on me Adam.

I’ve watched enough hockey to know, that at 22 it is FAR too early to give up on this kid.

I am not alone in believing this.

Obviously you & Jack Todd see things a lot alike… Hey to each their own…

94. Bill J says:

Ahhh well you see terry, this is the FIRST post I’ve read of yours that also included the name “Price” that was not derogatory.

Now…. Right now – are we in a trade period ? — NO

Right now. is Price part of the team — YES

Do you know for a fact that Halak will be playing for Montreal next season — NO

So until it plays out, and while Price is the clear #2 – why not just focus your negative energy on the Capitals.

Because as you seem to like to lay-down as a lame insult, you aren’t a “REAL FAN” if your dumping on ANY player of this team.  Sorry to say.

Maybe some Price supporters will leave if Price is traded, I won’t because I was speaking the truth.

I wonder if YOU will still come here/or be a Hab fan if Jaro is traded though.

Before you preach, learn your own lessons.

95. terrygain says:

It’s you who needs to learn how to read Pricebot.

The Hab Tab statement which I bolded and replied said:

Carey is the back-up goalie.  He’s getting too much attention for being a back-up. His job is to sit on the bench and take it like a man.  If he can’t he will be traded and his immature fanbase can follow him to whatever team he goes to.

It doesn’t say Price is complaining. It says if he does complain he should be traded along with his fanbase.

I was thinking of you in particular Bill J when I applauded that statement. I have no issues with Price. He’s a good back up. Some of his fanbase are immature and don’t put the team first.  adam76 has you pegged.

96. Bill J says:

WTF ?

Your entitled to your opinion, but can you elaborate a bit more.

<edited this part out, as I did not read your post right>

97. terrygain says:

You have a problem being objective on the subject of Carey Price. It’s why I call you a Pricebot. Pointing out that he’s not as good as Halak is not derogatory. I’ve said he’s a good goalie with the potential to be a great goalie. The only negative thing I’ve said is he has a history of allowing soft goals. That’s a statement of fact.  He’s not number one for a reason.

98. Bill J says:

Ok – and then I replied with the Allan Walsh connection…

Catching up yet terry ?

Because YOU asked me what what Allan Walsh said has to do with “his talent” to which I said, nothing…. remember ?

Just let it go…  I know you hate Price, you know I like Price.

We both like Jaro, he’s the goalie right now…. can we just agree on that & move the hell on.  Why do you have to come here & piss on Carey.  Did he refuse to sign your autograph or something because you asked him why he kept losing ?

What is it ?

99. Bill J says:

If you think calling someone a Pricebot is not derogatory…. Sorry your wrong.

As for soft goals, Jaro has let MANY in himself, if the team acted like you think…  Jaro would have been traded years ago!

Is that clear enough ?

see didn’t say a thing about Price to support my claim, you should try it sometime.  Jaro is a big boy, you don’t need to use Price as a step to prove your points.

Some of us who DO see things objectively are just fed up with the back & forth some of you choose to banter around.  SPECIALLY when Price is not even playing.  WTF else you wanna blame Price for…

The Volcano erupting in Iceland ?

100. terrygain says:

You are quick to jump to conclusions and make sweeping assumptions. You project and write like a teenager. I recognize that Halak is now the better goalie and in your mind it means I hate Price and may switch teams if Halak is traded. I’ve made one negative comment about Price but you imagine that I’m constantly  attacking  Price. Because I prefer Halak you accuse me of attacking Price. I would have loved it if Carey had outplayed Jaro this year. He didn’t.  This is why I prefer Halak. It’s based on performance.

I’ve been a Hab fan since 1952 and I’m still here despite the trading or release of hundreds of players that I liked. As a Hab fan it’s annoying to read the   comments of other Hab fans who obviously prefer the fate of their favourite goalie to the team. You yourself have called out some of your less restrained  fellow Pricebots on this site.

101. terrygain says:

Take a pill, Bill. You are much too emotional to have an intelligent conversation about Price/Halak.

102. Bill J says:

Ok – let’s try a clean slate.

Because if your saying that I am assuming things about you based on your posts, I think you assume yourself quite a bit.

So I’ll make you a deal, so long as your posts are objective and your careful who your labeling a “Pricebot” which is certainly a derogatory name.  I will gladly entertain objective conversations.

No reason for us to fight, it’s stupid. Because neither of us knows nor has the power to affect the end result.  So why not just cheer the team on, wait & see what happens in the off-season.

Then we can perhaps put this to rest.

If you read my posts from today, you will likely see for yourself.  My references to Price where a direct link to my thoughts of Boucher coming up to Montreal the sooner the better.

103. Bill J says:

Not sure how you thought I suggested what you are replying to.

My post was a reply to adam76.

Or if the board did that weird thing where it jumbled a buncha posts.

So yeah ??!!?? lol

104. Big Ted says:

Looks like Spacek is unlikely to be able to go for Monday, barring a miraculous recovery. I fin dit hard to believe the Habs have not made a move for Subban yet. How can they possibly expect MAB and Hmrlik to do the job? This would be like Boudreau sticking with Theodore for the whole series, we in Mtl would be laughing at that move and I’m sure the Caps are enjoying getting to take advantage of MAB’s soft defence as well.

105. adam76 says:

I agree – someone explain to me how this franchise can justify NOT calling up P.K.?

106. slapshot777 says:

If the Bulldogs could win tonight and knock out the Moose. Why not give PK a call for game 6. Then he can go back and help the Bulldogs for their second round start. which probably would not start until wednesday or Thursday anyways.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

107. adam76 says:

Montreal is a man short.  Call up the best available.

108. ABHabsfan says:

I third your motion. A new look could be just what the Habs need to complete this mission. The coaching staff is probably thinking that  if they kept the Caps to 1 goal with this line-up then why change. I f same line-up craps the bed tomorrow the comments will be scathing to say the least.

109. likehoy says:

if you call him up, you can’t send him back down…we used 5/6 roster moves.

- Habs Romance (Lady Gaga remix) http://montreal.virginradio.ca/blogs/39/posts/464

110. ABHabsfan says:

If we don`t win tomorrow, it won`t matter anyway. So make the move I say.

111. Bill J says:

100% support this idea.

Whats more important the Calder Cup or the Stanley Cup.

I know I know, the “let the player mature in the AHL purists” will jump on this

But we are talking about a few games in the NHL “early” so-to-speak.

112. Big Ted says:

If we lose, he goes back down, as roster moves no longer matter then. Pyatt and Maxwell would likely also go back down to finish the year in Hamilton. And if we win, he stays up with big club and trie sto help us win another one. We need a guy who can skate, move the puck, quarteback the pp, play physical, eat up minutes… Subban is a logical answer to all of those questions. If we had another guy in the minors who could do some of those things, at least better than MAB, I’d take him as well, but we don’t have any other viable options and I cannot bear to watch us lose a game because of MAB’s continued stink-ups.

113. Bill H says:

Its called not acting in desperation and thinking long term.  I expect that coaches who work with him every day feel PK would not make a difference in this series and that it is in his best interests to stay where he is for the rest of the season.  People around here like to slag Canadiens management for not developing their young players properly.  I think they are handling PK Subban very responsibly.  After a long and successful playoff run with the Bulldogs, PK will be ready for the NHL next season.

114. Storm Man says:

PK plays tonight, he is doing great where he is.

115. derfab says:

I’m not sure he remains eligible after the habs are done. Is it possible PK himself wants to be sure he’s able to finish the year in Hamilton?

116. Habsforlife 1959 says:

If Hamilton Bulldogs wins today? Maybe, PK might be called up after tonight’s game. Just have to wait and see. It would be GREAT if bulldigs win tonight and go unto the 2nd round. Bulldogs are home tonight and maybe the coaching staff and management might be at teh game too. C’mon call up PK ASAP. It sure would give the habs another important piece they are lacking on D. Go Habs Go!!!

117. slapshot777 says:

We have only used three moves so far and we have one left. Every team is allowed four.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

118. habs fan from stonyplain says:

Why is there so many bandwagon jumpers here, we play one game, after a long serious two days ago and everyone is back saying blow it up get rid of ak46, get rid of this person blah, blah, blah.  Last time I checked is its the best out of seven not one game.

119. punkster says:

Terry, re: your SK comment, that is a whole other discussion (though you’re point is taken and can be argued as valid). On the other hand I don’t think our PK record is anything to complain about and almost entirely due to those 3 guys. Remove or reduce their PK time and our PK stats sink, right? The lack of depth on the team is the reason our scoring is down (yes, partly because our top guys are killing penalties) and the lack of depth is what I was pointing out with my statement you quoted. Just addin SK to the Gomez line alone would not solve all problems, only open up yet another hole in the lineup. Give us a couple more big forwards and a couple more big D so the workload can be spread.

120. punkster says:

Teach me Obi-Wan.

121. Castor says:

AGREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

122. W35T5ID3 says:

WOW i’m so bored right now i’m watching The Littlest Hobo!!!!I need to get a life.

123. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Wow! What a video hahah – another ‘History will be made’!

124. Harani says:

Coyotes showing some serious character. Nice to see Robert Lang out there, always loved the guy and his radiant smile you know!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

125. petrov14 says:

ROFLOL! “A MUST WATCH” thanks for that.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

126. showey47 says:

that is awesome

127. Chuck says:

There are a lot of good parodies on YouTube. I’ve sent the “What if Kerry Fraser wasn’t blind?” one to all of my Leaf fan friends to rub it in.

128. SlovakHab says:

Just to throw it here.

If you knew 100% we can sign Volchenkov on July 1st for 5M a season and manage to unload Roman Hamrlik’s contract for a 6th rounder – would you do it?

129. habs4cup says:

so lang and Schneider weren’t good enough for Gainey and his cohorts, yet great for the Coyotes.

and people wonder why the habs never improve. take a look at our present and most recent GM’s.

Gainey will go down as the worst GM in the history of the NHL!

130. Harani says:

Pleky and RFAs?

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

131. pmaraw says:

holy overstatement batman

132. Psycho29 says:

I just saw the Geico ad with Mike Green, wasn’t he the older brother on “The Wonder Years”?

133. Jordio-oh says:

what a foolish thing to say.

134. HabFanSince72 says:

Sure is. Two 40 year olds would have changed everything.

135. HabFanSince72 says:

Hamrlik? We would have to pay someone to take him off our hands.

136. SeriousFan09 says:

Schneider played 25 games in the regular season, he’s good for the post-season because he was either scratched or playing in the AHL that isn’t nearly as taxing on him, if Hamrlik played 25 games in the regular season I doubt he’d be dead man skating right now. Lang was a risky signing as he was coming off an achilles tendon injury and we already had a lot of older players on the roster as it was.

Knock off the hyperbole, Gainey didn’t trade away the best goaltender of an era and every talented player on the roster (Houle). ALso, go ask the Islanders fans what they thought about the Milbury regime. Or look at Calgary, did Gainey ever clear out his roster and trade for a bunch of Leafs players because he was short of reliable scoring, then picked up a total enigma and a washed-up Higgins from NY.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

137. HabFanSince72 says:

Bob Gainey could be said to have  turned this franchise around.

138. Harani says:

Wings special teams let them down. 3 for 5 on the PP for the Coyotes. And a shortie to boot.

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

139. coachdoug says:

Yotes taking it too an “unlikely” game 7….Good on them…

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

140. SeriousFan09 says:

Twice in 6 really, game 1 the Red Wings PK was 1 for 4 against a team that had a PP in the bottom 5 for the entire year, disappointing and troubling if Babcock can’t rally his troops for game 7.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

141. HabFanSince72 says:

Wings are getting old, and have a rookie goaltender.

142. Exit716 says:

He married a Playboy Bunny.

It’s hard to judge players coming from Florida. Look at the huge flop Bouwmeester has been in Calgary.

143. scott9002ca says:

I wouldn’t miss detroit if they get eliminated

144. scott9002ca says:

I wouldn’t miss detroit if they get eliminated

145. ManApart says:

I think what would be more accurate is to say Gainey had 6+ years to make this team a contender and failed. In 5,10,20 years, nobody will ever remember Gainey’s tenure as anything more than part of the 2 decades when the Habs didn’t do anything. I am thankful the guy realised he was history and ran off. The team is better off for it.

146. punkster says:

It is my understanding that he was also responsible for the chlorination of water in Montreal, an act far more heinous in my opinion.

147. Bill H says:

LOL  very nice Dave!

148. Bill J says:

Agree… While I really thought (and I’m sure I was not the only one) that Gainey was doing some good.

However, it seems for every 1 good thing he did, he followed it up with 2 bad or puzzling choices.

I too am glad he walked away into the sunset.

Sad he couldn’t get it done, would have been “nice” to see BG land another Cup for Montreal.

But that’s all it would have been. nice.

149. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I just uploaded the ‘Top 10 Rookies of the Year‘ video on Youtube. Comments? Suggestions?

Can’t wait till next year – Hoping Subban will have a really good year.

Oh, and I do realize that the music in this video is not ..great – I don’t prefer it either, but then the peeps on Youtube can’t stop yappin’ and yappin’ about pop music.

Harsh words but probably true.  No one questions Gainey’s integrity or good intentions but the team really hasn’t moved any closer to a Cup.  In the end, that is all that really matters.

151. HABZ24 says:

jacques martin was the genius behind the last win,putting halak back in and putting moen on top line. hope for the best.  go habs go.

152. punkster says:

I vehemently disagree Steve. You must see that the core of this team is far better and provides a far more solid base on which to build. This team has way more heart and desire than last year’s pud wackers. They are missing some pieces. No question. Can you imagine though if we had the complimentary talent that would a) put themselves in position to follow up on Gomez puck work, b) use their size/strengh advantage to work the corners and the front of the net and c) fill out the depleted defence pairings.

No. Gainey cleaned out the talented but no heart crowd and brought in the nucleus of what will be a solid team. That will bring us closer to a Cup and in the end that’s all that really matters.

153. punkster says:

What was your nickname before Hab Tab?

154. CHsam says:

some of the guys at the bar I go to were saying ‘can you imagine if the Yotes win, Bettman gets to hand himself the cup?’ .. man, that would be wrong

155. punkster says:

Just asking HG. No need to get yer knickers in a knot. Thought maybe igniting another Price debate after the last on flamed out wasn’t maybe such a good idea for you. But hey, knock yourself out. You’re a big boy.

156. Chuck says:

Are you not going to answer Punkster’s question? Got something to hide?  ;)

157. habbynessisyellingohabsgo says:

Funny how the Yotes went from Fans of zero to playoff heros in less than a year! No way in hell the cup comes to canada with buttman in charge.

158. Psycho29 says:

Have we been able to also pin 9/11 on Bob Gainey yet????

I’ve said it before I preferred this year’s Habs to last year’s underachievers.

Gainey rolled the dice and didn’t sign a bunch of players.

Injuries have played a big role in where the team ended up in the standings.

159. Bugs says:

Madness.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

160. KenD29 says:

HandTab  Just curious, what does this have to do with the Habs/Caps series?!! Why bring that topic up now?Last I checked, they are about to play Game 6 tomorrow here in Montreal and hopefully they pull off another win forcing Game 7.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

161. Bugs says:

Totally, totally freaky!

Superfluously redundant, I remain

162. ooder says:

absoulty terrible trade.

Horton is sooo overrated it’s not even funny.

that might be worst then the phaneuf trade the burke pulled of

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

163. Chuck says:

Punkster didn’t attack you. He merely asked you what username you used to post under.

164. sholi2000.com says:

The Hammer Speaks!

They call me Shane

165. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

you know what’s funny about yours and others opinions of Gainey??

people seem to forget that Gainey ALSO put together the PREVIOUS YEARS’ “PUD WACKERS”.

Gainey put together one team – it failed

Gainey decided that the team needed to be changed

Gainey spent 30+ million last summer and changed HIS OWN TEAM.

HOW MANY GM”S GET TO CHANGE THEIR TEAM TWICE IS 6 YEARS?

166. ooder says:

your right.. the habs should totally model themselves after pheonix.

the true class of the NHL’

all that success just overflows overthere in pheonix, all those hall of famers, record setter and thsoe stanley cups

man i wish we had a team with a history like that

——————

167. punkster says:

Didn’t attack. Asked you a question which you didn’t answer. As I said, knock yourself out.

168. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

he turned around a franchise that he already turned around 6 years ago.

169. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

Florida would have to be crazy to make that trade. Price’s stock has plummeted this year.

Price has gone from a top ranked, rising star, to a back up with a losing record – all in 1 year.

Price would need to re-establish himself next year in order for a trade like that to go through

Horton is one of the most sought after young, power forwards in the game. A rare talent.

170. Bill J says:

Note to self, punkster’s onto something.  Today I allowed myself to get dragged into something, and Hab Tab was part of the reason.

Will pass by this user from now on.  Thanks punkster for shedding light on what I clearly missed.

171. punkster says:

Glad you said “funny” and not something derogatory :) Believe me, I did not forget the past 6 years. How could anyone here?

Yes, he did put together much of the previous team. It didn’t pan out as he or anyone else thought it would. And yes he then changed it. He was the GM and it was his call. Not everyone is successful in the NHL and not every GM gets the chance for a “do over”. I don’t hold any animosity against Gainey for what he did. Why? Because he tried.

172. ooder says:

Horton has yet to prove he is anything of the sort.

never has been a point per game or more player.

never played in the playoffs

plays in a low pressure market that no one takes seriously.

has never represented Canada in any tournmanets.

what exactly makes Horton so special?

——————

173. punkster says:

So what was your nickname before?

174. Bob Barker says:

He produced at a 72 point pace this season and is 24. I’d bet he’ll have an even better year next year. He’s scored more than 20 goals in each of the past 5 years, >25 in 3 of the 5 and >30 once. Maybe he won’t live up to being picked 3rd overall but those are still some impressive stats.

175. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

people who know hockey say Horton is unfreakin real. Not me.

176. ooder says:

maybe… but people also say Price is a great talent as well.

Horton has never really impressed me…

never done anything note worthy and is basically a guy who racks up ok stats on a team no one cares about

——————

177. punkster says:

Just askin’ HG. Just askin’.

178. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

Price is a great talent – I agree to that.

179. andrewberkshire says:

Impressive stats on a team with zero pressure from fans, and zero pressure from management to win. Bouwmeester went from 15 goals to 3 when he left the easy to play in atmosphere of Florida for Calgary. Not to mention Horton plays in the weakest division in the NHL, whereas Montreal plays in arguably the strongest.

180. terrygain says:

Gainey’s probably our best GM since the incomparable Sam Pollock.   He didn’t trade  18 years of Chris Chelios for 2 years of Denis Savard, nor Eric Desjardins and that horse Leclair for  Recchi. And Serge Savard was much better than any of the others. Houle, for example  got fleeced in the Patrick Roy trade.

And he didn’t pay 4.5 million for Mike K.

Would Montreal fans allow a GM to do what you need to do to build a contender? You need to blow it up, go to the bottom and start over. Look at Toronto: Second overall and  1st and 2nd round draft choices for a 30 goal scorer. And Mike K signed for 4 years at 4.5 million.

181. Bill J says:

Just cuz this post made me laugh…

Am I the evil Uncle then ?

HT – Sorry, but Florida has the best goalie prospect outside of the NHL.  In fact, Jacob Markstrom just might turn out to be better than Price.  I seriously doubt the Panthers would trade for one of our goalies.

183. pmaraw says:

and i will call gayry batman about his referees

184. punkster says:

OK. Here’s my hockey response. Price for Horton is a non-starter. Enjoy your stay here.

185. Bill J says:

I almost agree with you terry.

Gainey’s the best GM since Savard. Who also made his share of mistakes (for one he was the one that started the trade negotiations with Colorado, the deal was at the time Owen Nolan & Stephane Fiset), Pollock was in a class all to himself.

The GM of the year award should be named “The Sam Pollock award” or something like that.

Everything after Savard, with probably the worst GM being Houle was BAD news.

Gainey DID return the ship into the right direction.  But it was also a good time for him to walk away if not for his own personal sanity.

Montreal owes BG a lot, better to remember him that way.  And he can be a returning alumni we often get to see at the Bell.

Thank You terry for reminding me why I did like Gainey.  I shudder to think of this team and what it was 7-8 years ago. :-/

186. terrygain says:

Or a coach smart enough to know that you don’t pull someone with the skill set to capitalize on Gomer’s  playmaking ability and replace him with a checker ( albeit a very good player), thus messing up two lines. Or a coach with the intelligence to realize that if you use your three of your best five best offensive forwards to penalty kill they won’t have enough left over to score their share of goals.

187. Storm Man says:

Bugs where is this madness you talk about? ;)

188. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

Here’s the cure for everything that ails the Habs.

How do we get management to focus, hire the best people, train the youth on the team, etc….?

Answer:?

Re-introduce a Nordiques franchise into Quebec City.

Its called: COMPETITION – and when the Habs know that they are competing for fan support, competing for media attention, and that they are not the Hydro Quebec of NHL hockey- you will see the Habs make some noise again.

189. sholi2000.com says:

Slow Day At the Gazette

Show emotion, don’t show emotion.  People need to make up their minds about the young Carey Price.

I have,  sell copies, clicks and create controversy.

They Cheer CAREY CAREY CAREY because they know he’s the future, or maybe hope he’s the future ;)

Can’t wait for July and end this famous topic of 2010

Who Stays and Who Goes?

No one wants Halak, so I guess he stays.

I’ll still be a fan, but I would love to have Carey in Habs org for long term.

They call me Shane

190. SeriousFan09 says:

Don’t bother with Todd, he’s just the mouthpiece of every malcontent fan in Montreal who thinks they can run the organization better than whoever is in charge.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

191. adam76 says:

Three seasons is a long time.

192. Big Ted says:

We want Carey to show emotion. We want a guy who wants to win. I think he does want to win and I think he shows it. But that emotion needs to be directed, it needs to motivate him and not detract from his performance. The fact is that Carey is used to being a winner at every stage of his career, and I’m sure that the fact success hasn’t come easy to him at the NHL level is frustrating. If he wants to be a top-level goalie, he can’t have temper tantrums or feel sorry for himself when his D screws up. Sometimes he fishes pucks out of his net like he’s pissed off at his teammates. That kind of attitude should stay in the dressing room, not on the ice. If you’re not happy with a teammate, you speak to him off the ice and tell him what he can do better. I don’t know or sure, but I feel like a lot of the Habs don’t appreciate the body language he sometimes displays where he acts like he has a sense of entitlement. I think he’ll get to a place where he does channel that emotion better, but it’s going to take more maturity and experience. Carey needs to want to become a leader of the team, he needs to want to say that this is his team and that everything any guy on the team does is a reflection of him. The best goalies (Brodeur, Miller) do their job but you don’t see them putting down teammates. They talk about “we” and they mean it. That’s what we need from Carey.

193. Chuck says:

Did Carey piss in JT’s Corn Flakes?

194. sholi2000.com says:

Staff please remove the obvious troll for the seventh time.

Members please add the members new name to black list of the unaccepted.

They call me Shane

195. sholi2000.com says:

I agree, but he sucked me in with this article.  Like I said it sells clicks so he’s doing his job.

They call me Shane

196. sholi2000.com says:

lol, looks who’s back staff

They call me Shane

197. andrewberkshire says:

Sholi, Hab_Guru loves you, he just can’t leave.

198. slapshot777 says:

Anyone been able to watch any of the Bulldogs games on ATDHE.NET. I have been looking but don’t see it listed.

199. SeriousFan09 says:

AHL links have died off, maybe they’ll be back for the Calder Cup Finals but not sure. Going to actually go see the game tonight and will do a post-game report when I get back.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

200. adam76 says:

All the “free” streams have dried up – you can buy the game for 10 bucks at:

40 bucks a round?  300 for the playoffs?  What a ripoff.

201. Storm Man says:

Same thing was said about Lafleur after Three season also, Lets just see how this year closes, this team has other things to deal with.

202. adam76 says:

That whole Lafleur argument is weak.  He still ha 175 points in his first three seasons.

203. Chuck says:

Now you’re just being silly. No goalie is ever going to get 175 points!

204. andrewberkshire says:

And he was constantly called an immature party animal.

205. Storm Man says:

Who said anything about what he did on the ice, I was talking about what he did off the ice. BTW nice pic you have up, glad to see your a fan of the team and not some name on the back of the jersey.

206. Bill J says:

Your post has one clear solution.

a SPORTS PSYCHOLOGIST

Guess who the Habs have in the organization with a Sports Psychology degree….

Oh Just that Head Coach in Hamilton, whats-his-name again ???? hmmmmm

Guy Boucher!

Why throw away Price, without finally giving Price a Coach who CAN help Price become what he was intended to be for the Habs?

207. sholi2000.com says:

All great points, and I look forward to him being the leader on the team, but that’s ten years away.

They call me Shane

208. sholi2000.com says:

Nice, I think he should visit the entire team after second periods hehe :)

They call me Shane

209. terrygain says:

I want a goalie who is steady, steals his share of games and doesn’t give up soft goals. Everything else is b.s. I love the “Support The Troops ” emblem on Carey’s helmet, but it’s not a factor in my assessment of which one is the better goalie.

210. derfab says:

how about we all go to dorval and ask ovi for his autograph 40 times each?

211. likehoy says:

we should snow him

212. Storm Man says:

He would ask you if you had any tickets for game 6 to sell him.

213. Say Ash says:

Somebody suggested the flag be held by Georges St.-Pierre. I like.

214. derfab says:

how about we all send pizzas to his room tonight?

215. derfab says:

ya and hire some little people to flagpole him.

216. ABHabsfan says:

That would be funny. Get the cameras ready…

217. Big Ted says:

Keys to winning Game 6:

- Solid game from Halak. He shouldn’t have to steal it by himself but he can’t let in any goals at bad times that break momentum. If they score, it needs to be a goal that merits going in. Momentum is going to be huge and Halak’s job is to make sure we keep it for 60 minutes or more.

- Pressuring the net. The top guys have been doing a good job getting pucks at the net. What we need to do better is get on the rebounds and get the lose pucks in the goal-mouth scrambles. I’ve been happy with Gio, Gomez, and Pleks, but I’d like to see AK46 and Pouliot among others take the puck to the net more. Habs need at least one of those two guys to play a big game as a sniper.

- Better play from the D corps. This doesn’t refer to Gorges or Gill, who have been consistently good throughout the series, nor to OB, who has done his job well. This means MAB and Hamrlik, if they’re in, need to play good fundamental hockey. No bad pinches, keep the puck in at the line, make stronger passes coming out of our own zone or if nothing’s available get it hard up the boards. Markov has put in a solid effort so far, but even he could be sharper at a lot of these things. I don’t feel like we’ve seen Markov at his prime yet in this series.

- Movement. It frustrates me to see a lot of our breakouts, a lot of guys end up standing still. Ditto for when we have a guy with the puck in the offensive zone, particularly on the PP. The guys without the puck need to be in constant motion. We are a fast team, we need to use that speed to be creative and keep the Caps running around. Their D is not strong and if we keep moving, they are going to break down or at the very least take bad penalties.

- Stay out of the box. The refs have been awful, so it’s hard to say what is going to happen. That being said, the Caps PP is due, so it’ll be crucial to give them as few chances as possible. We especially cannot give them early PPs and let them steal momentum with it early.

218. sholi2000.com says:

Carey’s more of a wheaties guy lol

They call me Shane

219. Chuck says:

I think that Jack and his ilk need to put the whole puck-shooting thing in perspective.

Was it a wise choice on Carey’s part? No, but then again hockey players make bad decisions all of the time and get slapped with an unsportsmanlike or some other penalty for their slip in judgement when anger gets the best of them.

Players are getting concussed from being driven into the boards out of retaliation. Price flipped a puck at another player. Neither are excusable, but one is definitely more deserving of our attention.

220. Bill J says:

Very well put, much better then I’ve been able to muster when adam keeps going on & on about how Classy & Gutsy it was of Price.

Never-mind the fact that the NHL has not & will not discipline Carey.

As you said, much bigger fish to fry in the League.  Making Price look like a good little boy in comparison.

221. petrov14 says:

I would love to see this go to game 7!

GO HABS GO!!

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

222. Habitant in Surrey says:
    Habitant in Surrey's picture

…My kids and I were eating in a sports bar
    this afternoon with the Senators-Penguins game on a screen in the
    background …We left with the score 3-1 for Ottawa, and mistakenly
    thinking the 2nd intermission stoppage was the end-of-game as We left

…only
    to come home later to find the Penguins tied the game in the third and
    had won in overtime

…My Son and I had been talking of how sweet
    it would be if the Canadiens and Senators eliminated both Ovechkin’s and
    Crosby’s teams …and how suicidal this might make Bettman

…We
    also talked of the possibility of Vancouver and either Our Habs or the
    Senators meeting in the Final for the Cup

…well, these
    possibilities have narrowed to Our Habs and the Canucks

…leaving
    the potentialof an unknown fissure in My up-to-now tight little Family
    …My Vancouver-born daughter Venus, an avid Canucks fan threatening to
    set Our pants on fire if We (My son and I) dare to cheer on Our Habs

…today,
    Quent and I stocked-up on extra jeans and slacks …just in case

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

223. PeterStone says:

I am just glad to hear you are bringing up those kids the right way.

I went on vacation a couple of years back, and this dad had his 4 or 5 year old son decked out in all sorts of leafs clothing … leafs hat, leafs shorts, leafs backpack .. possibly even leaf flip flops.  After seeing the kid for 4 straight days wearing nothing but leafs stuff, i felt compelled to say something ..

So, I asked the dad, how he could do that to his own flesh and blood ? How could he comdemn that poor boy to a lifetime of disappointments … the guy laffed … but I feel bad for the kid.

224. Habsrule1 says:

We can do this!

Right?

Go Habs Go!! “I don’t have a copy of Georges’ code, I don’t know what it is,”. “I think the code is that you’re here for your teammates. It’s not your code, it’s our code.” – Bob Gainey

225. terrygain says:

We can win if we go with 4 lines and shorten the bench if we have  the lead in the 3rd period. IMO, we can’t win with the 3rd and 4th centres playing 20 minutes combined – as they did in game 3.

226. novahab says:

Jack Todd boy oh boy you are the poster child for whats wrong with the writters at the Gazette. Yes what you written about Price is true but that is so like shooting fish in a barrel. How easy is it to sit back in your chair and write about a guy who under a lot of pressure as a goalie in Montreal like that hasn’t happen before. Mean While Ovie and the doped up gang are tring to shoot their way to the cup. Have you ever thought about going after a real story and like call some people and do some investigation but not the kind the NHL does which is none. How about calling the Molsons and asking them how they felt when thier goalie was mugged for three illegal goals . Do you think the fans that watch or better the fans that pay a small fortune to go to the games would like to know how ownerships feels about their team getting railroaded. The fans in Colorado and Vancouver know because ownership stepped up. So I wonder, is it your just lazy or you just go to the bars get drunk and write that crap. Come on man balls up and be a man write a real story we will all support you for that.

227. WindsorHab-10 says:

I read Jack Todd’s article and I thoght it was well written and right on. I love Carey Price but he must grow up & change his attitude for the good of his team & teammates.

228. spoonfullofjelly says:

You know I was thinking something along those lines too when I read that. Jack Todd is like someone on a message board talking shit and hiding behind a screen name. I can’t believe the Gazette still publishes his useless “column”, what a waste of perfectly good newspaper space. Quite frankly I think those cut down trees deserve better.

229. BKAK72 says:

Shooting a puck at the team that just scored reminds me of only one other goalie who couldn’t gather his game to deliver when it counted:  Ron Hextall.  The article is fair.  No need for Price to behave this way after a goal and eventual loss.

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

230. habsfanonthewestcoast says:

Petulance is what I think of yet another useless Jack Turd article. Flatulence is my reaction to it.

It would be a total waste of intelligence if there was some in the first place.

231. Halaksucks says:

jacktodd46@yahoo.com

Tine to have some fun.

232. VancouverHab says:

Yes, that is a discreditable article, but journalists get paid for nothing more than producing words which provoke response. Just picking two of the low-hanging fruit; had Mr. Todd investigatory ability he would have discovered instances of Patrick Roy petulance and would not have had his easy antithesis; and had he capability of human insight he would realise that what is ‘petulance’ in a loss would be ‘competitiveness’ or ‘defiance’ in a win.

However, the true heart of the article is Mr. Todd’s dreary animus against Bob Gainey: poor Carey Price is mere ordnance in the hack writer’s long-standing campaign to elevate himself to adversary, rather than minor (or more likely unnoticed) irritatant to the great man.

233. habfan01 says:

Well, what would you expect from a chickensh*t draft dodger. Glad he decided to stay up your way.

234. HabFanSince72 says:

The Sens got robbed. That Volchenkov penalty in the 3rd? How on earth did the ref manage to conjure that one up?

235. MontrealAtheist says:

Robbed or not, what matters is that the Sens are out … So long, LOSERS … hahaha

236. nightmare_49 says:

…  TIDBITS: Hockey World / Jim Matheson …..  http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Hockey+World/2948933/story.html

Kovalchuk can re-sign in New Jersey -he should think about it -but he’s dreaming if he thinks he’s even in the Sidney Crosby-Evgeni Malkin salary league ($8.7 million). Those players produce and win games.

Los Angeles remains a possibility, but there’s a better chance Kings GM Dean Lombardi will go after Patrick Marleau after drafting the former Sharks captain in San Jose, and he’ll let Alexander Frolov and his $2.9-million-a-year salary walk this summer.

Devils need a point man ………………..  The chances of dealing defenceman Sheldon Souray to New Jersey just got a whole lot better with the Devils’ ineffectiveness on the power play against the Philadelphia Flyers (four-for-32) in Round 1.

The Devils blue-line needs a complete overhaul, and Souray certainly has a relationship with GM Lou Lamoriello and coach Jacques Lemaire.

The Devils are looking more for a right-handed shooter (Souray is a lefty), but they can’t be too choosy.

237. terrygain says:

Nice post Bryan. Is the nightmare that the Leafs won the cup in 4 straight in 49? I see you recognize offensive potential.

238. TommyB says:

Dead on regarding Kovalchuk not being in the same league salary-wise as the others you mentioned.  I think the addition of Kovalchuk was a mistake on Lamoriello’s part, and I feel confident that he is aware of it.  Sure he might offer Kovy II a contract, but it will be low enough that it won’t be accepted.  Lou knows the money game.

Back to Kovalchuk…I think he was the wrong influence in the dressing room.  A “me” kind of player on a “we” kind of team.  When you add Lemaire into the mix, it’s a recipe for a disaster.  You have to figure Lemaire will whisper into Lou’s ear on this one.  The Devils had little choice but to put a lot of faith in Kovalchuk in the playoff round, and he did produce 6 points in the series, however, the Devils had nothing more going for them.  Not much production from Parise, Zajac, and others.  Langenbrunner with one point!  Martin Brodeur maybe has reached the end of his tenure with New Jersey.  Looks to me like it could be rebuild time for Lamoriello, and I wouldn’t believe that rebuild will be around Illya Kovalchuk.

239. vic says:

What about the Boucher rummor that other reams are looking at him.I know Canadiens have him under contract but you can not keep him on the farm for 4 years because of JM contract.

If we lose we are screwed for years.

How many players do we lose at the end of this year?

240. Bill J says:

Well other teams would have to ask the Habs permission to speak to Boucher.

So I sure hope the Habs will not just “allow it to happen” and rather fire the Penguin wannabe JM.  And bring up what this team needs…. a Sports Psychologist who knows how to win!

241. slapshot777 says:

If anything after this years playoffs are over in both the NHL and AHL I would off Guy a job with the Habs as an assistant, with the idea that he will be the next coach when JM is either fired or moved to some other capacity. At least Boucher can still work with the young guys that will be here from Hamilton like PK.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

242. Bill J says:

I sure hope Karma didn’t see this post!

BTW I hate the Turds just as much as any other, just saying.  Pot/Kettle & such…

243. HabFanSince72 says:

It would be a shame to lose Boucher.

On the other hand if he gets the job, how long before the Habs InsideOut commentariat starts calling him a moron?

244. Bill J says:

Probably within the first week as Head Coach of the Habs.

Freaking stupid though, I mean Boucher is practically a Mike Babcock clone.  Without the accolades at the NHL level I mean of course.

245. nychabsfan says:

nychabshan

GAME 6

We will take it if we do the 1 thing we have had trouble with all year(and previous years)but showed signs of change in game 5-PLAY 3 PERIODS.We also need to stay mentally strong,don’t let the capitals waves overwhelm us.I love the Moen move,I hope we go back to it.What will it take to get Benny going?I think he has been mostly MIA this series.Should we put him w/ Pleks and Cam,move A.Kost w/ his brother and Moen,thoughts?just putting it out there.The habs need to get to the dirty rea of the crease to beat varlamov in the bell center.Halak needs his A GAME.MAB needs to learn how to keep the puck in at the blue line on pp’s,it has been exasperating to watch him fumble.Hammer,oy vey,will Spatch be back.O’B was great last game…

246. HabFanSince72 says:

Watching HNIC last night it struck me that Glenn Healy doesn’t get enough credit for being a topnotch imbecile.

With ignorant blowhards  like Milbury, Cherry, Stock, it’s hard to make a mark, but Healy should not be forgotten. He’s easily as obnoxious as those other guys, and perhaps a shade stupider.

247. Bill J says:

Yeah Darren Pang too…

Hell, the ONLY goalie I’ve ever respected behind a mike…. Hrudey.

Healy is a Loafer…. So need not say anymore right ? lol

248. The M says:

I have to say: you are entirely correct.

Healy is hilarious, in that you can laugh at him.  He has nothing positive to say about anybody or anything. My favourite Healy quote was when in 2004? the Habs were playing the Bruins and Healy said after the Bruins had taken a series edge that “This is why the Bruins fought so hard in the regular season, to play teams like Montreal.”  Fortunately the Habs won and Healy cemented his status as a numbnut.

249. coachdoug says:

If it wasn’t for Friedman it would be the Toronto Zoo Chimp exhibit…”Mom, Dad Look!…the chimps are pretending to be hockey analysists”

BTW Milbury gets even worse on our stateside NBC broadcasts…

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

250. Chuck says:

Ok, I’m bored.

Uh… HALAK SUCKS!!!

251. Tis Himself says:

Going on and on and on about Price is just as wickedly boring. It’s not like the guy is gonna get another start in these playoffs.  I just want to know how many years we are supposed to wait for his head and his skill to live up to his billing?

252. Exit716 says:

I miss Chris Higgins.

253. BKAK72 says:

Chris Higgins?  Sarcasm…right.  Good one.

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

254. Tis Himself says:

I miss Roger Doucet.

255. Say Ash says:

Why, you have some stale beer you need to get of?

256. W35T5ID3 says:

I do too.The kid had promise.I thought he’d turn out to be a bonafide 30-35 goal scorer.Well he is UFA after July 1st…..maybe a return to montreal is imminent????

257. showey47 says:

i’m sure chez paree misses him also. I wonder how many young ladies he personally put through university.

258. Chuck says:

Well, if he doesn’t get to play, then… never.

Going into this season Price had as good a start to his career as did Roy and Brodeur. He had a rough second-half last season after sustaining the ankle injury, so this year should have been all about getting him back on track. Yet under JM’s goalie “management”, this year has become a “lost season” for Price.

259. Bill J says:

How about as long as they waited for Halak to step up as a #1. ?

2 more season ? Fair enough right ?

Because we’re damned lucky Gainey didn’t pull the trigger sooner.

We would have either Vinny for Price

OR

a 2nd rounder from Philly for Jaro.

Either way – we’d be screwed.  Better off with both, and yeah give Price the same extra 2 years to mature (preferably under Boucher’s tutelage)

260. Tis Himself says:

I have a feeling we’re gonna have Price/Halak debates with no conclusion for the next three years.

261. Chuck says:

Either that, or we could have a coach that understands that player development at the NHL level is a necessary evil in the salary cap era. I hope that when the season is over, JM and the rest of his staff sit down and take a look at the “progress” of the kids on the team… then develop a plan for next year that puts the kids in situations that allow them to succeed and grow.

262. Tis Himself says:

The first step may be kicking JM upstairs and bringing in Boucher. The damage was done to Price by Gainey, but JM’s handling of OB and SK has been atrocious.

263. Chuck says:

Agreed. But in my books JM doesn’t get off the hook with Price, regardless of how he was previously handled. If you want your young players to develop, then you’ve got to put them in situations where they’re likely to succeed, and be to able to make mistakes while not putting the team in jeopardy.

After Price’s rough second-half of last season, I thought for sure that with him coming to camp healthy that they would have pushed the restart button with him. JM should have sat down with both goalies and said, “Look, we’ve got practically a whole new team, so we don’t really know what to expect. So we’re going to go into teaching mode and make it a priority to give both goaltenders a chance to take their game to the next level. Carey, you’ll be playing in games x, x, and x. Jaro, you’ll be playing in games x, x and x. That rotation witll hold true barring injury.”

264. Bill J says:

And ultimately THIS is what I’ve been “pushing”

Boucher to come in & do his best to repair the damage done by the ones you mention…

Before the Habs give up on Price, I want to see what Boucher can do with him.

What a wasted opportunity to not use the Sports Psychologist to get into Price’s head and set him on the right path.

At least TRY to give Price a decent coach to work with before we give up on a 22 year old anyways.

265. ManApart says:

People can talk all they want, for the rest of time, but there really isn’t a debate. Halak is/was/will be the #1. It’s over.The people who wanted Price to play, this year, were wrong and the people who wanted Halak to play were right. You can be happy JM was part of thre latter group and that BG went AWOL, because there would be no game 6 tomorrow night.

266. habsgirl74 says:

did anyone watch the games price played since the olympic break, he played awesome, so why can’t he get the same acknowledgement about that as halak does

267. Chuck says:

Yawn… and if it wasn’t for Halak, we might have wrapped up this series in 5 or even 4.

It’s rediculous to bash a player for a game that he didn’t even play; you nor anyone else knws what the outcome would have been if he did.

268. terrygain says:

I don’t think so. If one really asserts himself as number one (and a good argument can be made that Halak did that this year) the value of the other will diminish – because he won’t be playing. I just hope that we get good value for whichever one we trade.

269. Exit716 says:

Lang looks pretty solid for Phoenix.

Wow. 4-1 Coyotes.

270. showey47 says:

He’s about the only one i miss from last years team.

271. Chuck says:

I don’t. He always wore his tux a little too small, and it freaked me out.

272. Chuck says:

Actually, I like Halak a lot. Sure, there are parts of his game that drive me nuts, but he’s a solid NHL goaltender.

273. HabFanSince72 says:

Kovy II was one of NJ’s few bright spots in the playoffs, and I read that  he apparently did learn the Devils system and got along with Coco.

As to how much he is worth it’s a question of supply and demand. You need to compare him to other UFAs not to players who were still RFAs when they signed.

I think last year Havlat and Hossa both got $7.5M. Kovy II is probably worth more, don’t you think?

274. Big Ted says:

Kovalchuk shouldn’t be in the same salary range as Crosby or Malkin, but then neither should Gomez. His contribution to the Devils really reminds me of what our Kovy did for us, an electrifying player who the fans love to see score but who is possibly detracting from the overall success of the team. Don’t get me wrong, I loved seeing AK27 play for us and wanted him to come back at the start of the year, but I will admit that the guys we have now have more heart as a team than when Kovy was here. And that is not a measure of individual heart because guys like Koivu and Bouillon and Dandenault played with everything they had, and even Kovy seemed to really care about Mtl fans, but as a team they didn’t have what it took last season. The Devils still have a lot of young talent, so I don’t think they need a re-build (they did just win a very tough division this year), but Lamoriello will need to secure a goalie of the future and they need to get some offense out of their back end that’s been missing since Rafalski left. In fact, Price and Markov would likely be great fits in NJ, although for us to do that, we’d need to be getting Parise back in return.

275. coachdoug says:

Actually now that I think about it my apologies to the chimps…

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

276. HabFanSince72 says:

Lebrun and Hrudey are also very good.

Speaking of morons did anyone catch Don Cherry repeatedly mispronouncing Varlamov? Even after his sidekick told him how to pronounce it?

What an embarassment.

277. punkster says:

Hey, The Chez is not a privledge in Montreal, it’s a right. He was only doing what every other red-blooded hockey player does when he comes to this town.

278. terrygain says:

Is what turned his game around?

279. Danno says:

Habs in seven!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”