Back to hockey tonight

But everyone is still talking about The Hit

Red Fisher and Jack Todd weigh in on Pacioretty

Gomez tells Stubbs that NHL inaction stunned Canadiens

Pat Hickey on Price vs. Halak

Eric Duhatschek and Roy MacGregor on Chara

Fans are calling the cops

Boston Herald likes NHL decision

1. J.T. says:

Tommy, the league is so commercialized now that actual hockey has become secondary to the “product”.  That’s why Air Canada, if it moves against the league, would be groundbreaking.  Hit ’em in the wallet and you get the attention of the ponces running the operation in New York.  It’s kind of poetic, actually.  The league feeds at the corporate teat, so let the corporate de facto owners of the league call the shots.

I’d like the next in line to be Molson’s.  Then Labatt’s, and Tim Horton’s, whose spokesperson is the still-injured Crosby.  If Sid has any pull with the company he represents, perhaps he can persuade Tim’s to get tough.

I decided two years ago never to listen to Don Cherry again, and for the most part, I haven’t.  I’ve got better things to do than waste brain cells listening to the likes of him.

2. Former Jets Fan says:

Renaud Lavoie posted the same story on at the same time as Blob McKenzie.

3. Mr. Habs says:

SPOT ON!

4. Habs64 says:

Wonder how much money Chara got or if there was a bounty on Patches?

5. 123456 says:

stubbs boone et al – first of all i am not trying to be a jerk here (i save that for other times). does anyone know why mckenzie got the interview with pach? (obviously i am implying why not one of you guys)

6. habsguy says:

what a bunch of jerks,  Kypreos said if this happened in columbus we wouldnt even be talking about it,  the only reason it’s news is because he was a Hab !!!!!…….The NHL really needs to clean house,  starting right with Bettmem

7. DD says:

“I’ve gotten hit into that partition before,” said slew foot artist Johnny Boychuk. “He just rubbed him out and he hit his head on that partition, and that thing’s not going to move.”

What thing? Colin Campbell?

The Bruins and Chara’s earlier actions and words point to premeditation. even if they and the league say there was no intent to injure. The fact is, not only did Chara interfere with Pacioretty on the play, he elbowed his head into the partition.

Read JT’s blog entitled ‘SHAME’

This should also be sent to Bettman, Campbell and Murphy.

The NHL is a joke.

8. Mr. Habs says:

This comming from a Douche who’s head is softer than jello!

9. awesomerino says:

To paraphrase Bill Hicks:

Stephen Harris is a fevered ego who’s tainting our collective subconscious and making us all pay a higher psychic price.

Truly, the world would be a better place without him in it.

10. arcosenate says:

Well, all this does is put the ball in the Habs court, the league is essentially saying you punish him. So be it, if that’s the way they want to deal with these issues then that’s exactly what they’ll get. Frontier justice. What a sorry, sad day for hockey.

11. observer says:

the first joke is the 5 foot tall commissioner/money grabber who put these turnbuckles where they are.

12. Mr. Habs says:

Us Habs fans should gather up as many game tickets as we can & make the trip to Stupidtown USA (AKA Boston)on March 24. We can cause the biggest stink that arena has ever seen!

13. observer says:

gary bettman is out in phoenix trying to steal more mmoney today. bettman his best friend and backer jeremy jacobs/ jacobs giving campbells worthless hockey playing son a job – bettman’s nhl is organized crime. thats why he approved all those criminal owners from boots del baggio, the former isles owners, anaheim’s current thief. bettman was not going to suspend jacobs best d-man in a year bruins think they are a contender. if the dwarf ever appears in the forum/bell centre he should be treated like clarence campbell was times 10 times!

14. observer says:

the only place kypreos has an announcing job is canada – because they would never listen to any hockey expert in columbus or phoenix — pj stock another 4 goal scorer NOW AN EXPERT ON HOW TO PLAY THE GAME- how come the only announcer ex-jocks now are all flunkies at the sport?

15. Fansincebirth says:

What a travesty, an absolute joke. They had their chance to send a message, a very clear message that this garbage that has infested the league will stop NOW. However, whether influenced

by money (owners) or by association (Colin’s son), the league has decided to do nothing, to let things rest. No further action necessary, it was a part of the game, he was just finishing his check.

So now, we have a young man lying in a hospital bed with a severe concussion and a broken vertebrae in his neck from someone just finishing the check. No intent, they said, no targeting of the head, they said. They are blinded by their own prejudice and stupidity.

So, what now, what is going to happen? A very dangerous precedence has been set. The NHL will turn it’s back, look away from nasty, disgusting hits because they are just part of the game.

Well Mr Campbell, here is my wish….

I will wish for a hit on YOUR SON, one that is borderline criminal like this was, one that lands YOUR SON in the hospital with very serious injuries and I hope you are at that game and witness it, like Max’s parents did. I also wish it to be done by someone who has no history of doing anything like that, a first timer. I hope your world is rocked so badly that you are forced to take the blinders off and see what is going on in this league. I would wish the same for Bettman but I doubt he has ever been allowed to reproduce. I want to see what happens when the person who crushes your son and potentially ends his career sits on the other end of the phone with his feet up on the coffee table, video game on hold and listens to your fellow henchman Mr Murphy tell him and the rest of the hockey world that he can find no basis with which to suspend him from the game of hockey.

Then, and only then will justice have been served, Mr Campbell.

Reap what you have sown you SOB!

Patches, get well soon…

Welcome to the new NHL – NASCAR on Ice

16. J.T. says:

The more I think about this situation, the madder I get.  The thing that’s currently enraging me is the idea that the NHL thinks Sean Avery’s “sloppy seconds” comment is worth six games.  Wisniewski’s “suck it” gesture to Avery got him two.  Yet Chara’s breaking a man’s neck…whether he intended to is beside the point…gets nothing.  It’s really, really unbelievable.  Maybe if Chara had called Pacioretty a name first, or pretended to hump him or something, there might be justice today.

17. observer says:

watch it come up in parliament today again?

18. CoachJoe says:

“We can be as pissed off as we want, but it’s not going to change anything,” Canadiens centreman Scott Gomez was saying last night from St. Louis.

“But guys are livid. They’re very pissed off.”

That is all I needed to know as a fan.  We can go over what happened all we want, but it is time to start thinking about action.

This is a slap in the face of Montreal.  No other way to look at it.  It is a slap to the team and a slap to the league’s most loyal and best fan base.

I am sick and tired of seeing this fan base called crazy and difficult and that Montreal is a hard place to play.

I propose that we crank up our emotions to a height that has not been seen before.  Gomez says the guys are pissed, then we are pissed!

The league wants to do nothing, the experts want to blame the infrastructure, other players and coaches want to all it a hockey play….fine!  They are the enemy.

Let’s really crank it up.  Let’s go nuts at the next home game.  Chant Pacioretty’s name.  Pick these Habs up and propel them.  This city can do it.  This fan base can do it.

If you are in a bar watching a game, crank up the cheering.  Use your cell phones and video it.  Post it on the web.  Let the Habs players know that our fan base is a bunch of crazed dogs and we are now foaming at the mouth.

There are only a handful of games left and then playoffs.  This might have been a call from the Hockey Gods to lift our team to the promised land.

Personally, I am going to cheer this team on like I never have before.  I am going to boo every single opposing player that scores on us mercilessly.  I am going to remember every single player and coach who went on record calling Chara’s hit a hockey play and I am going to NEVER let them live it down.  EVER!!  I am going to turn my radio off whenever it is time for “Insiders” like McKenzie and Dreger to come on and I am going to tell Team 990 that I am doing that.  I am going to do whatever I can to try to focus my support on the Habs while eliminating my support of the NHL, TSN, and all the other A-hole organizations that refused to take the proper stance on this.

I am gong to apologize for making this such a long read…

19. Dee says:

Where is the NHLPA in all of this?

Habs Fan 4 Ever & Ever Amen.

20. Matt_in_TO says:

Further proof this league can’t do anything right.  Everyone see St. Louis’ shoot-out goal last night?  How they hell did the refs allow that?

– In Price We Trust

21. adam76 says:

To quote the late 1990s Bloodhound Gang……

22. danedmunds says:

air canada has threatened to withdraw sponsorship because of the hit. that would be fantastic! go air canada!!

23. Clay4bc says:

Agreed…I’ve been looking forward to that game for a long time (of course pulling for Price to get a shut-out), but now I am barely interested.

F@#$ing Chara even ruined hockey…

The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

24. 123456 says:

agreed on all points – now who is going to break chara’s neck in the next meeting??

25. avatar_58 says:

Price vs Halak? Who gives a shit. Not me. All I care about is justice here

26. DearyLeary says:

I don’t even feel like watching tonight… hockey just feels empty with the disregard for the safety of the players now.  It’s barbarism, and they just want to sweep it under a rug and hope people will forget about it.

27. mrhabby says:

Air Canada pulling sponsorship..well thats a start. but if there replaced by somebody else it will be business as usual.

28. matrags says:

lol, love it , wh en the law will not protect us we must protect ourselves. Go Habs Go!!!!!!!!

29. RGM says:

It’s amazing to think that we’ve all had this date with the Blues circled on our hockey calendars for the whole season….and now, thanks to the gutless Chara and even more gutless NHL, the game itself is not even close to the forefront of my mind.

30. Clay4bc says:

(repost) e-mail bettman to show him your

i have heard a lot of comparisons between this and the Bertuzzi incident. However, I think in actuality (other than the specific type of injury) this is more like the incident that led to the Bertuzzi/Moore incident. A cheap head shot to a player that resulted in serious injury (Naslund went down with a concussion then, Pacioretty now). The league does nothing. Revenge ensues.

I wonder if the same thing will happen here? Will someone take revenge on Chara for this, like Bertuzzi did on Moore?

And lost in all this – Gomez played the best 2 periods of his entire season. If he had played like that all year, no one would be complaining about his salary, because he would have earned it.

31. CHsam says:

I didn’t think it’s possible, but I feel worse about it today than I did yesterday.

32. TommyB says:

The NHL turned it’s head and looked away on Jan. 1, during their big-splash production of an outdoor hockey game designed to sell itself to a nation that doesn’t give a rat’s ass about hockey. And I say that with apologies to the regions in the U.S. who do love and enjoy the sport. During that game, the sport’s best player was blindsided with a concussion-giving check in clear view of all who were watching. This showcase game. The NHL immediately looked the other way while everyone else looked at Crosby facedown on the ice. No suspension was given. In fact, no penalty was called. I thought that was an incredible moment, and though I knew well before that hit that the NHL had become bush-league, that event sealed the deal.

Two and a half months later, Crosby is still on the sidelines. One of the game’s most recognizable stars from the past, and owner of the Penguins franchise,speaks out about what the league has become, and questions his continuing membership in this “club” known as the NHL. The NHL still does nothing, and continues on it’s merry way, trying to salvage a franchise in the middle of the desert. Something that is apparently more important.

Now this. This “hit” on Pacioretty. I call it a hit, in the way the mob would put a hit on someone. I see no difference. Chara executed the hit on Pacioretty, and there was clearly intent to injure, but not in the eyes of the NHL talking heads. Given what we have witnessed prior to this, why should we expect anything different?

I congratulate Air Canada for speaking out, and at least threatening to take a stand (cuz let’s be honest, all it is at the moment is a threat). It would be even better if more big-name corporations would step forward and say something similar. Tim Horton’s? MacDonald’s? Instead, we will suffer through another idiotic statement from Don Cherry on Coaches Corner. I must force myself to turn away this Saturday night. 46 inch TV’s are too costly to throw a beer bottle through.

33. arrow says:

Vote Max 3rd Star every HOME Game until he returns!

34. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

doesn’t matter…TSN was a good move by PATCHs… its nation wide and they’ve shown nonstop since yesterday, Chara is a liar

35. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

it was a cowardly act, the more you watch it, the more plainly it becomes, the thrust of his check happens exactly at the right time to send MAXPAX into the steel post…

THIS IS A NO BRAINER…. he shoved him into the steel post you idiotic imbeciles….

and in DON CHERRYS own words, Chara didn’t look back… CRIMINALS (THE GUILTY) NEVER LOOK BACK, THEY KEEP WALKING.

Wednesday March, 9th, 2011 – the day NHL Hockey “officially” died

36. RGM says:

It’s a hell of a world eh? It’s usually so easily to get excited and pumped up for a particular game, but this one….I just don’t have it. I didn’t even pay attention to Sportscentre this morning to get the updates on what happened last night. The whole mess has just really ruined my ability to care about a playoffs race for the time being.

37. habsfaninboston says:

I can’t bring myself to watching the game tonight. My blood is still boiling. I’m so disgusted at the NHL.

FU Bettman.

38. 123456 says:

figured iut was bc of tsn being national and also a potential biased reporting form the local media – but still i’m sure there were discussions among media before attempting to contact paches – or at least i hope there was.

39. Ton says:

Firstly I am appaled that their is another side that doesn’t wish the kid well, if you read some of the coments regarding max’s comments their sickening. This is what winning at all costs as done to our sport, hits like such are viewed as entertainment. there always going to be someone at the end of that hit. Lindros had the opportunity to protect himself against stevens but max beat chara on speed, he had the upper hand and he was taken down viciously. how the other side can be so unhumaine is beyond me.  Nhl will crumble, its started faster than what I thought…… it go fast…….mcquire said sometning interesting in his interview…..speed and skill make franchises…….boston and philadelphia are the only two franchises that could survive without it however doubtful for boston had a run of empty seats for years.

Think about and tell the critics, how credible is this decision……..the chief commander cannot make a decsion because of conflict of interest………..what?????!!! The level of intellegence at the broadcast booth is sickening, most former hockey players with bad communication skills, remember most of them are employed in an industry that pays them well, how many of them upgraded their education, bet you that have not made it past grade 10!!!  I hope the students of the game will comment, flower, beliveau, orr,……..Orr will not he as vested interest with agents/players in boston meaning he will be wishy washy, gretzy will not the nhl owe him 8 milllion and he got taken out once real good, poor kid only played 10 games after than, cudo’s to those who are straight shooters and shame on you if you said this hit was clean…………how ignorant of you, I have watched hockey for 40 years and tried to keep a perspective…… was an elegal hit……called that way by the chosen nhl referree of choice for this game…………….

40. Kooch7800 says:

God Bless Air Canada for standing up and stating it as it is!!!!!!

41. Fansincebirth says:

I’d volunteer but I’m only 5’4″…never make it.

Welcome to the new NHL – NASCAR on Ice

42. Kooch7800 says:

As habs fans we need to figure out a way to send a message to the NHL.  I don’t know how lets think of something. A boycott of watching a game but there has to be something we can do

43. avatar_58 says:

He’s lucky gomez didn’t pull a Bertuzzi then

44. Kooch7800 says:

What Air Canada did was right and they sent it to the press.  That is exactly the negative press that this deserves.I was proud of them when they did it. At least they have a spine.