Avtsin signs three-year deal with Habs

The Canadiens have signed Russian prospect Alexander Avtsin to a three-year contract.

The 19-year-old played in 30 games with the KHL’s Moscow Dynamo last season and scored three goals and added six assists. The 6-foot-2, 188-pound right winger was selected 109th overall in the 2009 NHL entry draft by the Canadiens.

The team’s release:

Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced today the signing
of forward Alexander Avtsin to a three-year contract (2010-11 to 2012-13). As per club policy, financial terms of
the agreement were not disclosed.
Avtsin, 19, played 30 games in 2009-10 with the KHL’s Moscow Dynamo. The 6’2’’, 188 lbs right winger
registered 9 points (3 goals, 6 assists), with 10 penalty minutes.
In 2008-09, Avtsin recorded 110 points (56 goals, 54 assists) in 76 regular season games with the Moscow
Dynamo-2 (Russia-3), while also serving 130 penalty minutes.
A native of Moscow, Avtsin was selected in the fourth round, 109th overall by the Canadiens at the 2009 NHL
Entry Draft.
Avtsin participated in the Canadiens’ development camp in July 2009 and this past camp in July 2010.

1. WarHero says:

She’s the wind beneath my wings ;)

————————————————————————

2. DONJUAN says:

Good I hope this russian stays.

In HABS we trust.

3. bwoar says:

Yeah he played in Pincher Creek, AB, I think.   Pretty sure he’s a French kid – Gilles-Henri Gill-Gorges.  Insane stick checking, covers the ice surface well, a little shaky when he handles the puck though.

4. homerbowen says:

It is a shame but he’s played like a pussy and we don’t need that, time to move on.

5. TripleX says:

xD

“And I am really looking forward to watching Michael Cammalleri in the NHL. He had an awesome year in the AHL.” PIERRE McGUIRE

6. matraque says:

How come The Franchise is still not signed?

What’s up?

——

Canadien en 5!

Never go Full Retard

7. homerbowen says:

You are right on, hopefully the smurf experiment is over. Our tiny tots in the AHL should be moved if possible.

You still keep coming up with the wrong answers.

9. andrewberkshire says:

It’s definitely too bad, but not every prospect can pan out. For every Subban there are 3 or 4 Ben Maxwells.

10. petefleet says:

gives the puck away almost as much as Hamrlik

You mean Spacek, he actually led the league in that catagory….not sure where Hammer was on the list.

But Surray over Markov, no way….I’ll take both on the same PP…remember?

Go Habs Go

11. andrewberkshire says:

I’ve noticed.

12. CBrady12 says:

yeah i didnt know you needed surgery to repair the philly flu

13. andrewberkshire says:

Same way I feel. Too timid, doesn’t have confidence. And with Martin in charge, if you don’t have confidence and make very few mistakes, you’ll never crack the lineup.

14. SeriousFan09 says:

The Flyers Flu? Oh BS, you actually listened to that hack Marinaro when he called a pharmacist to ask him about Markov’s medical condition? Markov had a back injury, it was known and he was not cleared by the Canadiens medical staff to play those games. He wasn’t very good at the Olympics, because of his back injury and he was a little shaky when the NHL season resumed as well.

I never recalled Souray being called a valuable leader either and if he was so good in his own end, why are his +/- stats so consistently bad? Because he’s not good on defence. A team has to pay for a top-tier defencemen, they’ll take the one who can truly play the full game and Markov is a much more complete defencemen.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

And Alexander Avtsins?

Sorry, I just couldn’t resist.

16. ZepFan2 says:

That’s strange. I’m pretty sure he posted below that he’s never wrong.

Maybe kitty-cat will hack up a good response. If not, it’ll be something that belongs in the litter box.

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler (Aerosmith’s lead singer)

17. CBrady12 says:

You ever heard of Alexander Ovechkin? He has stated that Markov is the toughest defenceman to play against in the league…. oh yeah ….check this out Spezza looks terrified

18. secretdragonfly says:

A friendly suggestion?  Change back to your old avatar ’cause that’s the only way you’ll be able to dodge the missiles coming your way.

19. Mark C says:

It’s a shame Maxwell’s game has turned so timid, he has the skills to play in the NHL. Given the make-up of the current roster and how it projects over the next two years, I’d say there is 98% chance Maxwell is traded before next summer.

If Maxwell ever adds some edgy in his game, I could see him being a fine 2/3 line center.

20. The Cat says:

Evidently, the 2 of them are different types and a team needs all types, and its not just about offensive production (mind you Souray was no slouch with that slapshot) or defensive shutdown, Souray -in his prime without injuries- had way more intangibles than Markov (dropping the gloves, clearing the net, fighting for the puck in the corners, leadership qualities etc) forwards arent really scared of Markov -and yes thats huge in the big tight games that count the most -which is why Markov is never a factor in the big games, thats when he doesnt catch the Philadelphia Flu.

And so I dont get labeled a negative nelly, to me PK Subban is The Man.

21. ooder says:

he won’t.

i and other posters have contradicted him at every step and like a real cat, when cornered he just runs away

——————

88 is the new 23

22. CBrady12 says:

Dont even bother…defence is a hard position for a fan to see how valuable someone is when they are watching the game…you really have to have played the game to get an idea of how an elite d man can control a game…yeah anyone can see that ovechkin is good, but you really need to UNDERSTAND the game to see how good Markov is…obviously the pussy above doesnt really know the game…and that okay, you dont have to be an expert to be a hockey fana

23. mike g says:

He looked really intimidated and uncomfortable playing in the NHL last year…

Even in the playoffs, he wasn’t able to secure a 4th line role given to him because Sergei was MIA. Maxwell was invisible and looked very scared.

Compare him and his NHL opportunity to that of Tom Pyatt, and you know exactly which one to dress..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

24. ZepFan2 says:

Now it’s Souray that’s better than Markov.

Oh boy, I can’t wait to see you try to scratch and claw your way out of this one, Kitty-cat.

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler (Aerosmith’s lead singer)

We do and his name is Gill-Gorges.

26. Chuck says:

He’ll sign soon.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

27. CBrady12 says:

You might watch a lot of hockey, but you have no idea what youre talking about…just sayin’

28. mike g says:

Both players in their prime….

Markov kills penalities, QB’s the PP like a genious, plays vs the other teams best players, controls the game-pace, and does all of this with ease.

Sourray has a blast from the point, fights sometimes, hits sometimes, is terrible in defensive zone coverage, gives the puck away almost as much as Hamrlik, is always injured, and takes minimum one dumb penality per game.

Really, you’d rather have Sourray???!!!!!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

I like to keep people guessing.

30. kempie says:

So then you would put Markov’s trade value at roughly Mark Streit and a third-rounder? Wow.

31. doug says:

“As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not
    disclosed.  Please go to capgeek.com for full details.”

32. Curtoph says:

Lol, The Cat springs the most comments with his Markov comment. Good show.

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Seabrook is getting the same benefit from Keith that Komisarek got from Markov, except Keith is better than Markov and Seabrook is better than Komisarek so their pairing looks even better.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

34. andrewberkshire says:

Maxwell is a center and Avtsin is a RW so he hasn’t slipped any further down the depth chart. However I’ve pretty much given up on Maxwell reaching his potential, he’s just too soft.

35. ooder says:

one of the best players that ever played the game.

he left everything he had to come to north america and play.

to bad for his knee injury

——————

88 is the new 23

36. secretdragonfly says:

That’s funny – I thought the only NHL player I shared a birthday with was Garth Murray but it turns out it’s Ovechkin’s birthday, too.

37. SeriousFan09 says:

Defencemen with the best stats after Nicklas Lidstrom since the lockout, or a defencemen whose PPGs are all neutralized by the mountain of ES goals against him because he’s a sieve defensively…

Yeah, that’s a hard choice to make. Souray has little defensive ability compared to Markov which is what makes him more valuable as he is a true two-way defencemen, no team would take Souray over Markov given the choice.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

38. andrewberkshire says:

Personally, I can never tell if you’re joking or being sarcastic. I think you need a special HH seal of sarcasm or something.

39. mbplekfan says:

Ben Maxwell just slipped another notch down the depth chart. He has one year to prove himself in the minors before being released at the end of his contract.

As for Avtsin, he’s young, big, and extremely talented. The accomodations in the A will be better than what he is used to in Russia and all he needs is an english tutor and he’s off to the races.

Habs could call him up late season to test his skills in the NHL.

Things are looking good as we replace the smurfs with real hockey players.

40. adam76 says:

Don Cherry called….

41. andrewberkshire says:

So you think Souray in his prime was more useful to a team than Markov in his prime? Really?

42. Bill J says:

Perhaps the person posing as PG should just post as themselves then ?

These multiple accounts are getting out of hand.

43. adam76 says:

If only we had a starting goaltender.

44. ZepFan2 says:

Translation: I never read any whinging posts from you.

Thanks for noticing. Now go clean your litter box!

Markov is a little better than Streit…HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler (Aerosmith’s lead singer)

45. The Cat says:

When I say way better I mean more useful to their team. Like no one would argue that Kovalev isnt skilled, but it aint the type of skill that wins games, it is skills thatd go well if the NHL ever had a Harlem Globetrotters version of a hockey team.

46. Mats Naslund says:

Statistically speaking only ONE (1) defenseman has a better stat line since the lockout: Lidstrom.

Habs fans need to wake up. Markov is our BEST PLAYER. He would be the best player on just about EVERY TEAM in the league. He is the ONE constant that has made our PP the perennial best in the NHL, and without him the team flat out struggles.

47. secretdragonfly says:

The odds of those comments having been posted by a member of this forum are infinitesimal.

48. SmartDog says:

Good post.

Reading that I feel good about the Halak trade.  I didn’t want to lose him but Gauthier did somethign that I’ve complained the Habs don’t do enough of which is get VALUE for leaving players.  If only Gainey had traded a few players as rentals instead of letting half the team walk just IMAGINE what we’d have in the pipeline.  It could be insanely good!  Habs need to make more sacrifices to build and fewer sacrifices to make money by scraping into the playoffs for a round with a mediocre team.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

49. bostonantifan says:

Right.  Markov is “a little better than Mark Streit”.  Now I know I can ignore all your posts from now on.

Same thing I’ve been saying for a while now.

51. Julie H says:

New Russian!

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

52. SeriousFan09 says:

They don’t suck, but Markov made their careers with being their partner, lending them his ability and it boosted their profiles. Souray benefitted from Markov being his PP partner and Souray in his prime was still **** defensively, he’s a career minus defencemen for a reason, -20s with his 20-goal season is crap work by a defencemen, scoring a PPG doesn’t count if you’re guaranteed to allow an ES goal to make your PPG meaningless.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

53. mike g says:

OK, now you really need glasses!!

I clearly said Weber, Doughty and Keith are BETTER than him.

Then I said, Markov falls in the same category as guys like Chara, Seabrook, and Pronger. Yes, that’s what I said because it’s true. Incase you don’t watch Bruins games, Chara has some pretty awful games. He’s a very solid d-man, but has his share of off days. Infact, in the Philly series he had 4 straight terrible games.

Pronger is dominant, and I’d put him a slight notch above Markov.

Seabrook is very good, but I think his stock was driven up a little due to last years insanely stacked Hawks team. I’m very curious to see how he performs this year, with his team losing so much offense..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

54. Radio Free Timo 2 says:

If only it was the other way around.

55. The Cat says:

Because to me youre the quintessential ‘go with the consensus’ guy.

56. mike g says:

Pretty nice post that I found on TSN.ca’s comment section…

“Subban, Avtsin, Eller, Kristo, LaBlanc, Tinordi, Weber, Pacioretty, Palushaj, Schultz…Habs are really stockpiling some great young talent…with their core already signed to long-term contracts (Cammalleri, Gomez, Gionta and Plekanec), the Habs will have approx $23M to re-sign Markov and Gorges, and then add some firepower to their roster…the future is very, very bright in Montreal…even brighter if Price finds himself.

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

57. andrewberkshire says:

Markov is WAAAAAAAAY better than Seabrook. It isn’t even comparable.

58. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I think you’ve seen too many episodes of coaches corner.

59. aemarchand11 says:

Avstin will have 30 Goals in the AHL this year.

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

60. ooder says:

“I been more right than wrong”.

woooow.. is your head big enough to get through the door?

——————

88 is the new 23

61. derfab says:

This kid is an exciting player and, being a forward, has the stuff to crack the line-up now. He has been playing pro for 2 years and, if given the chance by the front office, could take someone`s spot and force a trade.

character is derfab destiny.

62. G-Man says:

To put it mildly Double HH, up yours and all those who think we should be waiting yet more time for this incompetent management. And here’s a stupid smiley face just for you:   :D

63. The Cat says:

Same category as Pronger, Doughty, Seabrook, Keith, Chara…I need glasses???

64. andrewberkshire says:

Mogilny was one of my favourite players growing up, and we have the same birthday!

65. Radio Free Timo 2 says:

Humour is strictly verboten unless it is approved and authorized by the HIO bosses. Only views which favour the HIO ruling class and the Glorieuxgoisie are allowed here. However we Probarians will endure.

Radio Free Timo will broadcasting live from the ladies rest-room of Le Manoir tonight. Stay tuned for further details.

66. ZepFan2 says:

Sure you have, kitty-cat.

Nice you chose me. It’s not my fault you posted a ridiculous statement. Look in the mirror.

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler (Aerosmith’s lead singer)

67. aemarchand11 says:

There, are you happy now? You broke my back.

2010-2011

68. mike g says:

I’ve officially seen it all….

When someone says Sheldon Sourray in his prime is better than Andrei Markov.

That is either the funniest joke in the world, or the booze is talkin’.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

69. ooder says:

if anything the KHL is good for the NHL.

it is a great way for the a team to get rid of a player by taking him off the books without losing him to waivers, or buying him out which woudl still count against the cap.

anyways remember the name Lindros?

last time i checked he was a canadian and was one of the biggest bitches the NHL has ever seen

——————

88 is the new 23

70. HabFanSince72 says:

Actually, over the past few years, it’s been the case that the Habs generally lose when he’s not there – most notably in Spring 2009.

Last year the team was 13th in the conference when he came back from injury, and they ended up in 8th place. The PP went from anemic to league-leading.

71. The Cat says:

Most people on this board like zepfan, are usually wrong. I been more right than wrong.

72. bwoar says:

“Is this the year?”

73. The Cat says:

True. But the russians do hold the KHL as serious leverage, whereas most canadians dont really want to go to russia.

74. punkster says:

Actually I’d guess it’s that his comments (and those of his evil twins) have tended towards insight and humour rather than vitriol and profanity. :)

FREE TIMO!

75. Mattyleg says:

….yawn…

Nobody cares about your dumb little war. Just talk hockey or shove off.

—Hope Springs Eternal—