Avtsin signs three-year deal with Habs

The Canadiens have signed Russian prospect Alexander Avtsin to a three-year contract.

The 19-year-old played in 30 games with the KHL’s Moscow Dynamo last season and scored three goals and added six assists. The 6-foot-2, 188-pound right winger was selected 109th overall in the 2009 NHL entry draft by the Canadiens.

The team’s release:

Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced today the signing
of forward Alexander Avtsin to a three-year contract (2010-11 to 2012-13). As per club policy, financial terms of
the agreement were not disclosed.
Avtsin, 19, played 30 games in 2009-10 with the KHL’s Moscow Dynamo. The 6’2’’, 188 lbs right winger
registered 9 points (3 goals, 6 assists), with 10 penalty minutes.
In 2008-09, Avtsin recorded 110 points (56 goals, 54 assists) in 76 regular season games with the Moscow
Dynamo-2 (Russia-3), while also serving 130 penalty minutes.
A native of Moscow, Avtsin was selected in the fourth round, 109th overall by the Canadiens at the 2009 NHL
Entry Draft.
Avtsin participated in the Canadiens’ development camp in July 2009 and this past camp in July 2010.

1. Pierre Gauthier says:

Im habing my posts deleted becuase my name is Pierre Gauthier? Im not trolling, so why are posts being deleted. C’mon now Mods.

2. Pierre Gauthier says:

I purchased a Cammalleri #13 RBK T-Shirt (Blue) right after the playoffs. I also have a Subban one as well, the up and comer and the show stopper.

3. alestar says:

I like it…this guy has some skills. I like that he decided to come to NA to develop instead of staying in Russia, shows he is serious about developing into an NHLer.

XXIV…and counting

4. Les Habitants says:

Fun fact

Did you know Cammy was selected by the Kings with a draft pick from the leafs. You know who the leafs got for that pick in return? Aki Berg!!

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

5. mike g says:

He is one classy dude…

Kinda hope we’d had him a few years back. But as long as he stays here for the rest of his career, and plays at a level we know he can, he’ll be one of those old timers walking down the red carpet at future Habs ceremonies.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

6. Chuck says:

Who?

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

7. Chuck says:

And he does it with class, too. Simple fist pump, congrats to the rest of the guys, then back to business. As they say, “Act like you’ve been there before.”

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

8. Chuck says:

Cammy = Stud

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

9. mike g says:

People choosing Sourray over Markov????

Listen buddy, I don’t wanna argue with you or have to smash my PC screen here at work. If you choose Sourray for certain reasons, fine; everyone’s entitled to their own opinion. It’s cool…

But I do have to say that Cammy did something incredible this spring. I’ve loved this team for over 20 years now, and never has one single player ever made me more proud to wear a Habs jersey. He electrified the Bell Center, and scored such key goals at a clutch rate that nobody’s seen in quite some time. Add that to the fact that he came back from a major knee injury and is 5 foot 7 inches tall.

I’m not one to jump on a players bandwagon. When we signed him, I was happy but didn’t buy a t-shirt or anything. I found it kinda cliche, and a little too mainstream for me; that’s why I never had a Kovalev jersey. I like the guys that fewer people wear like Moen, Pleks, Gomez and Markov. But when I saw what this Cammy guy did against such heavily favoured apponents, I realized this guy was a big time player. Not only did he score all of those goals, he wanted to be the guy every single night scoring those goals. Nobody in the past 20 years has wanted to be that guy; he does it with a smile.

Cammy’s become my favorite Hab for that sole reason.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

10. Shiloh says:

I like this signing. We have to hit one of these times and this guy could end up being a real keeper. Now if we could just get Halak back…

11. The Cat says:

Mancrushes? Whats next? Bette Midler videos?…

12. andrewberkshire says:

Are you saying 1/30 2nd rounders pans out for this org? That’s quite a bit of hyperbole.

13. ZepFan2 says:

Right at what exactly? Taking stabs in the dark? What’s that saying again…”Predictions are for gypsies.” 😉

Yup, you proved beyond doubt how “right” you are with the Streit and Souray comments.

See, I was right. Something for the litter box!

Keep ’em coming, kitty-cat.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler (Aerosmith’s lead singer)

14. andrewberkshire says:

Too bad for his arthritic hips too. Although it wasn’t injuries that did him in, it was Lou Lamoreillo. I was so shocked when he sent Mogilny to the minors after scoring 25 points in 34 games, a 60 point pace! Truly classless move to cover up his own cap mismanagement.

15. Bob Barker says:

Hopefully he develops into a legit top-six sniper. Looks like he has the tools.

16. andrewberkshire says:

Your birthday just got updated BIG time hahaha!

17. andrewberkshire says:

Have you ever cornered an angry cat? I’ll tell you one thing, they definitely do NOT run away.

18. Exit716 says:

Correction. For every Subban there are 30 or 40 Corey Urquharts, Kyle Chipchuras and David Fischers.

19. mike g says:

Alright so I went on another Youtube roadtrip..

Was watching a 15 second video and ended up being on the site for 45 minutes. But I did find something for all you guys while I was gone. Always gotta treat your friends to a little gift when you come back from a trip, you know…

So far, it’s the best montage I’ve seen. Got the chills a few times. And reminded myself why I had a man-crush on Cammy for 2 months..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

20. The Cat says:

You do know Ovechkin and Markov are best buds, dont you?

21. The Cat says:

I didnt say I was never wrong, I said I was more right than you were, and really I dont think even you can dispute that lol

22. The Cat says:

I dont shy away, I cant always be at HIO, if I dont get to you, feel free to remind me next time you see me. And sometimes I may have answered to someone else, so I dont repeat myself.

23. WarHero says:

She’s the wind beneath my wings 😉

————————————————————————

24. DONJUAN says:

Good I hope this russian stays.

In HABS we trust.

25. bwoar says:

Yeah he played in Pincher Creek, AB, I think.   Pretty sure he’s a French kid – Gilles-Henri Gill-Gorges.  Insane stick checking, covers the ice surface well, a little shaky when he handles the puck though.

26. homerbowen says:

It is a shame but he’s played like a pussy and we don’t need that, time to move on.

27. TripleX says:

xD

“And I am really looking forward to watching Michael Cammalleri in the NHL. He had an awesome year in the AHL.” PIERRE McGUIRE

28. matraque says:

How come The Franchise is still not signed?

What’s up?

——

Canadien en 5!

Never go Full Retard

29. homerbowen says:

You are right on, hopefully the smurf experiment is over. Our tiny tots in the AHL should be moved if possible.

You still keep coming up with the wrong answers.

31. andrewberkshire says:

It’s definitely too bad, but not every prospect can pan out. For every Subban there are 3 or 4 Ben Maxwells.

32. petefleet says:

gives the puck away almost as much as Hamrlik

You mean Spacek, he actually led the league in that catagory….not sure where Hammer was on the list.

But Surray over Markov, no way….I’ll take both on the same PP…remember?

Go Habs Go

33. andrewberkshire says:

I’ve noticed.

34. CBrady12 says:

yeah i didnt know you needed surgery to repair the philly flu

35. andrewberkshire says:

Same way I feel. Too timid, doesn’t have confidence. And with Martin in charge, if you don’t have confidence and make very few mistakes, you’ll never crack the lineup.

36. SeriousFan09 says:

The Flyers Flu? Oh BS, you actually listened to that hack Marinaro when he called a pharmacist to ask him about Markov’s medical condition? Markov had a back injury, it was known and he was not cleared by the Canadiens medical staff to play those games. He wasn’t very good at the Olympics, because of his back injury and he was a little shaky when the NHL season resumed as well.

I never recalled Souray being called a valuable leader either and if he was so good in his own end, why are his +/- stats so consistently bad? Because he’s not good on defence. A team has to pay for a top-tier defencemen, they’ll take the one who can truly play the full game and Markov is a much more complete defencemen.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

And Alexander Avtsins?

Sorry, I just couldn’t resist.

38. ZepFan2 says:

That’s strange. I’m pretty sure he posted below that he’s never wrong.

Maybe kitty-cat will hack up a good response. If not, it’ll be something that belongs in the litter box.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler (Aerosmith’s lead singer)

39. CBrady12 says:

You ever heard of Alexander Ovechkin? He has stated that Markov is the toughest defenceman to play against in the league…. oh yeah ….check this out Spezza looks terrified

40. secretdragonfly says:

A friendly suggestion?  Change back to your old avatar ’cause that’s the only way you’ll be able to dodge the missiles coming your way.

41. Mark C says:

It’s a shame Maxwell’s game has turned so timid, he has the skills to play in the NHL. Given the make-up of the current roster and how it projects over the next two years, I’d say there is 98% chance Maxwell is traded before next summer.

If Maxwell ever adds some edgy in his game, I could see him being a fine 2/3 line center.

42. The Cat says:

Evidently, the 2 of them are different types and a team needs all types, and its not just about offensive production (mind you Souray was no slouch with that slapshot) or defensive shutdown, Souray -in his prime without injuries- had way more intangibles than Markov (dropping the gloves, clearing the net, fighting for the puck in the corners, leadership qualities etc) forwards arent really scared of Markov -and yes thats huge in the big tight games that count the most -which is why Markov is never a factor in the big games, thats when he doesnt catch the Philadelphia Flu.

And so I dont get labeled a negative nelly, to me PK Subban is The Man.

43. ooder says:

he won’t.

i and other posters have contradicted him at every step and like a real cat, when cornered he just runs away

——————

88 is the new 23

44. CBrady12 says:

Dont even bother…defence is a hard position for a fan to see how valuable someone is when they are watching the game…you really have to have played the game to get an idea of how an elite d man can control a game…yeah anyone can see that ovechkin is good, but you really need to UNDERSTAND the game to see how good Markov is…obviously the pussy above doesnt really know the game…and that okay, you dont have to be an expert to be a hockey fana

45. mike g says:

He looked really intimidated and uncomfortable playing in the NHL last year…

Even in the playoffs, he wasn’t able to secure a 4th line role given to him because Sergei was MIA. Maxwell was invisible and looked very scared.

Compare him and his NHL opportunity to that of Tom Pyatt, and you know exactly which one to dress..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

46. ZepFan2 says:

Now it’s Souray that’s better than Markov.

Oh boy, I can’t wait to see you try to scratch and claw your way out of this one, Kitty-cat.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler (Aerosmith’s lead singer)

We do and his name is Gill-Gorges.

48. Chuck says:

He’ll sign soon.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

49. CBrady12 says:

You might watch a lot of hockey, but you have no idea what youre talking about…just sayin’

50. mike g says:

Both players in their prime….

Markov kills penalities, QB’s the PP like a genious, plays vs the other teams best players, controls the game-pace, and does all of this with ease.

Sourray has a blast from the point, fights sometimes, hits sometimes, is terrible in defensive zone coverage, gives the puck away almost as much as Hamrlik, is always injured, and takes minimum one dumb penality per game.

Really, you’d rather have Sourray???!!!!!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

I like to keep people guessing.

52. kempie says:

So then you would put Markov’s trade value at roughly Mark Streit and a third-rounder? Wow.

53. doug says:

“As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not
    disclosed.  Please go to capgeek.com for full details.”

54. Curtoph says:

Lol, The Cat springs the most comments with his Markov comment. Good show.

55. SeriousFan09 says:

Seabrook is getting the same benefit from Keith that Komisarek got from Markov, except Keith is better than Markov and Seabrook is better than Komisarek so their pairing looks even better.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

56. andrewberkshire says:

Maxwell is a center and Avtsin is a RW so he hasn’t slipped any further down the depth chart. However I’ve pretty much given up on Maxwell reaching his potential, he’s just too soft.

57. ooder says:

one of the best players that ever played the game.

he left everything he had to come to north america and play.

to bad for his knee injury

——————

88 is the new 23

58. secretdragonfly says:

That’s funny – I thought the only NHL player I shared a birthday with was Garth Murray but it turns out it’s Ovechkin’s birthday, too.

59. SeriousFan09 says:

Defencemen with the best stats after Nicklas Lidstrom since the lockout, or a defencemen whose PPGs are all neutralized by the mountain of ES goals against him because he’s a sieve defensively…

Yeah, that’s a hard choice to make. Souray has little defensive ability compared to Markov which is what makes him more valuable as he is a true two-way defencemen, no team would take Souray over Markov given the choice.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

60. andrewberkshire says:

Personally, I can never tell if you’re joking or being sarcastic. I think you need a special HH seal of sarcasm or something.

61. mbplekfan says:

Ben Maxwell just slipped another notch down the depth chart. He has one year to prove himself in the minors before being released at the end of his contract.

As for Avtsin, he’s young, big, and extremely talented. The accomodations in the A will be better than what he is used to in Russia and all he needs is an english tutor and he’s off to the races.

Habs could call him up late season to test his skills in the NHL.

Things are looking good as we replace the smurfs with real hockey players.

62. adam76 says:

Don Cherry called….

63. andrewberkshire says:

So you think Souray in his prime was more useful to a team than Markov in his prime? Really?

64. adam76 says:

If only we had a starting goaltender.

65. ZepFan2 says:

Translation: I never read any whinging posts from you.

Thanks for noticing. Now go clean your litter box!

Markov is a little better than Streit…HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler (Aerosmith’s lead singer)

66. The Cat says:

When I say way better I mean more useful to their team. Like no one would argue that Kovalev isnt skilled, but it aint the type of skill that wins games, it is skills thatd go well if the NHL ever had a Harlem Globetrotters version of a hockey team.

67. Mats Naslund says:

Statistically speaking only ONE (1) defenseman has a better stat line since the lockout: Lidstrom.

Habs fans need to wake up. Markov is our BEST PLAYER. He would be the best player on just about EVERY TEAM in the league. He is the ONE constant that has made our PP the perennial best in the NHL, and without him the team flat out struggles.

68. secretdragonfly says:

The odds of those comments having been posted by a member of this forum are infinitesimal.

69. SmartDog says:

Good post.

Reading that I feel good about the Halak trade.  I didn’t want to lose him but Gauthier did somethign that I’ve complained the Habs don’t do enough of which is get VALUE for leaving players.  If only Gainey had traded a few players as rentals instead of letting half the team walk just IMAGINE what we’d have in the pipeline.  It could be insanely good!  Habs need to make more sacrifices to build and fewer sacrifices to make money by scraping into the playoffs for a round with a mediocre team.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

70. bostonantifan says:

Right.  Markov is “a little better than Mark Streit”.  Now I know I can ignore all your posts from now on.

Same thing I’ve been saying for a while now.

72. Julie H says:

New Russian!

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

73. SeriousFan09 says:

They don’t suck, but Markov made their careers with being their partner, lending them his ability and it boosted their profiles. Souray benefitted from Markov being his PP partner and Souray in his prime was still **** defensively, he’s a career minus defencemen for a reason, -20s with his 20-goal season is crap work by a defencemen, scoring a PPG doesn’t count if you’re guaranteed to allow an ES goal to make your PPG meaningless.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

74. mike g says:

OK, now you really need glasses!!

I clearly said Weber, Doughty and Keith are BETTER than him.

Then I said, Markov falls in the same category as guys like Chara, Seabrook, and Pronger. Yes, that’s what I said because it’s true. Incase you don’t watch Bruins games, Chara has some pretty awful games. He’s a very solid d-man, but has his share of off days. Infact, in the Philly series he had 4 straight terrible games.

Pronger is dominant, and I’d put him a slight notch above Markov.

Seabrook is very good, but I think his stock was driven up a little due to last years insanely stacked Hawks team. I’m very curious to see how he performs this year, with his team losing so much offense..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

75. Radio Free Timo 2 says:

If only it was the other way around.