Avery tells it like it is

Love him or hate him, you gotta love Sean Avery’s honesty.

William Houston in the Globe and Mail reports Avery, on CBC’s The Hour, offered a candid assessment of Don Cherry:

“He’s a staple as far as Canadian hockey goes,” Avery said. “And I grew up watching Coach’s Corner, and he serves a purpose.

“But he really does not know shit about hockey.

“He knows, like, unnecessary facts about putting Sears catalogues on your shin pads.”

“He says a lot of things,” continued Avery. “He calls people by their wrong names. And it’s just, like, enough of this guy.”

• When the Canadiens are in, school’s out. Dave Stubbs reports from St. Jovite.

• Georges Laraque on his recovery from an injury he won’t discuss.

• NHL tough guys laud Laraque

• Marc De Foy of the Journal de Montréal on the battle for fourth-line spots

• Mathias Brunet of La Presse on Jacques Lemaire and the Minnesota Wild, who are at the Bell Centre tomorrow.

•  Could this be The Year?

1. Mr.Hazard says:

Uggh. Guys please post the next article so I don’t have to see Avery’s close-up staring into my eyes every 5 minutes as I obsessively browse back to this page.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

2. Gary320 says:

One thing I like about Avery is this guy isn’t afraid of saying what he feels. His problem, he says it too harshly…

However, I agree with his points here. Although Cherry is very charsimatic and I personally like to watch him.. he really does not know that much about the sport of Today as he likes to think.

3. HABZ24 says:

ok cherrys getting a lil long in the tooth, but he’s part of canadianana. he tells it like it is,and knows his stuff.cherry rocks.i work 2nd shift, how do i convince my boss to let me out of work to watch the habs like those lucky school kids. those kids will remember that forever,and become bigger habs fans, class move to that school principal,whose gotta be a habs fan too.come on bob max -pac has got to be in the line up for atleast the first 9 games of the reg season.we want pac, we want pac !!

4. nightmare_49 says:

A Hab’s scout was at the Buffalo – Columbus game last night and may have been advance scouting the Sabres but i doubt it. He wasn’t the only scout there as the Blue Jackets have an abundance of forwards which probably won’t interest the Habs but the Jackets also have three defenseman that probably have to be sent down and have to go thru waivers – Marc Methot – Aaron Rome and Ole-Kristian Tollefsen. Also there is the rumour that Manny Malhotra may be on the market cuz of his salary (1.5 million) and he’s a Hitchcock trained two way forward whose excellent at faceoffs, interesting ….. by Aaron Portzline .. Columbus Dispatch ….. http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/10/scouts_aplenty.shtml ……………. Holy Goalie – A 56 year old Catholic Bishop suits up for practice with NHLers ….. http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/10/holy_goalie.shtml

5. joeybarrie says:

I LOVE THE WAY HE DRESSES (Don Cherry)…. Thats about it.

6. G-Man says:

I just saw Cherry in Roberval with a Bruins pennant. The only player he likes on the Habs is Price. He drones on and on about the laffs, as if no other team matters. Cherry was forced to do what he did because all the other Canadian teams were eliminated. Don’t get your undies in a knot, it’s Cherry, Ontario’s Village Idiot.

Gilbert
    2008/09 is the season of the Habs

7. VancouverHab says:

Admirable post, sir.

8. VancouverHab says:

This is, as you say, a hockey forum, so an extended discussion about Mr. Tommy Douglas is probably improper: much, I will say, as I would enjoy one!

The original invocation of him as a direct contrast to Don Cherry was apt: much of the rancour directed at Mr. Cherry (such as can be witnessed in several posts here) comes from the left-of-centre opinions of the originators (likely, Mr. Boone is one of these); in the same way that a proportion of his admiration is due to Canadians with right-of-centre views cheering an exemplary manisfestation of their own views.

It is strangely uneven, therefore, to witness left-of-centre Canadians–who idolise Mr. Douglas as their own side’s exemplary manifestation–aghast when encountering right-of-centre Canadians treating Mr. Douglas in the same way (from the opposite side) as the Left Wing treat Mr. Cherry — i.e. as an outrageous and baleful influence on Canadian society.

(N.b.: I argue mutatis mutandis here. Mr. Cherry and Mr Douglas are equal in points of public flamboyance, of intense belief in the rightness of their own points-of-view, of declamatory phillipic in oratory, and of social involvement. Although there are obvious incidental differences (one was a politican; one is not — a credit to or a black mark against the person according as one views politicians), they have similarities salient for this point of discussion.)

9. Chorske says:

Totally agree with the Avery-Lemieux comparison.

10. Chorske says:

The ratings boost argument doesn’t wash with me. I’m sure we could boost ratings by taking a page from the Man Show and replacing the GAWDAWFUL ‘satellite hotstove’ with “girls on trampolines”. Actually, that’s not such a bad… uh, never mind.

I don’t think I know more about hockey than Don. But his advice is often iffy, so much so that even I can spot the inconsistencies. And he embraces a philosophy of hockey that I find dull and unentertaining as a product. So again, I’m not sure he’s the best we can do.

11. Chorske says:

This is a hockey forum, so perhaps you can pm me and explain why you hold Tommy Douglas in such low esteem. Baptist minister, devout Christian, lightweight boxing champion, volunteer war medic. If you’re ticked about his views on eugenics, I’m sure you’re also aware that he repudiated those views shortly after writing about them. If you’re ticked about universal health care or his fervent support of human rights and social issues… well, booing Tommy Douglas is like cheering for the Grinch every Christmas.

Cherry draws reactions that are directly in proportion to the odiousness of the outrageous nonsense he sometimes blusters from atop his publically-funded soapbox. He’s a big boy, he can handle it. I reserve the right to express my irritation at his views, and the public broadcaster that hires him, and I resent you dismissing it as hatred based on political leanings. The guy’s a friggin dope, he says dumb things, and it irritates me because I expect more from my public broadcaster.

Mostly I’m intrigued to find out what these “sentiments” are that are so lacking in hockey and Canada. Can’t wait.

12. Big Bird says:

Just saw the Avery interview online.

My few cents from the peanut gallery:

(1) Although I don’t like Avery dissing our Habs at least he’s honest about it. I never liked his attitude on the ice as he has what I consider to be an unsportsmanlike streak. Pain in the ice to play against but a guy you love to have on your team. Remember what Claude Lemieux did for us in ’86. I have to be honest with myself otherwise I’m a hypocrite.

(3) With respect to Don Cherry, he has coached in the NHL and a Canada Cup team. I haven’t done that so I can’t question his credentials from a hockey perspective. He has always professed a love for the game so I won’t knock the man for that. I don’t agree with his hockey philosophy all the time but that is the beauty of this game.

(4) My old-man worked for the CBC for 35 years. I met Don Cherry on a few occassions when they filmed Coach’s Corner in the CBC Atrium in Toronto. He was usually very polite and accomodating to fans.

(5) I used to find Grapes amusing but where I lost respect for him was when he started voicing his political opinions on Coach’s Corner. When the whole debate on Iraq started he jumped-in with both feet. Coach’s Corner is not the place for political discussion or a personal soapbox on political views be they right-wing or left-wing. Not when it’s on the taxpayer dime.

(6) I love how Cherry talks about the kids now. Forgetting for a moment the barb against Mats Naslund.

(7) I get irritated when Montreal plays Boston or Toronto and Cherry is clearly biased but I don’t blame him. In fact I feel pity for him because our team deprived him of the true mark of success of a coach. A Stanley Cup ring and on more than one ocassion. So who wouldn’t hold a grudge?

(8) I’ve raised this point before despite the vehement opposition of other posters. I do believe that Cherry can be racist at times like anyone. The trouble is that he has a national televised podium for it. When he makes comments about Russians, Swedes, Finns or others that is pretty clear to me what his point is. Simply replace those nationalities with Jews, Blacks, Muslims, French or Gays.

(9) We can bitch and moan all we want about Donald Cherry but he brings in a lot of advertising revenue to a cash-strapped CBC so unless he uses the N-word or something to that effect on-air he’s going nowhere anytime soon. So I’m just as happy to watch the games on RDS and read Boone’s in-game commentary and my fellow posters on here.

Sorry for the long post. Have a good weekend everyone and my thanks to the Summit Organizing Committee. Just got the tickets in the mail and looking forward to seeing my friends in person soon.

13. krob1000 says:

The best broadcaster our natioal broadcaster can hire? Probably not but the one who will likely go down as having drawn the best ratings ….hands down…some people tune in for him and not the game. Noone is going to tune in to listen to Ferraro or Hrudey although they are great hockey people and great commentators. My whole response was because some people on here think they genuinely know more about hockey than Don Cherry and to me that is some of the most laughable crap I have read on this site since it’s inception. That was my point and if it weren’t our national broadcaster I think peoples views would be diff’t.

14. Chorske says:

Well, one could argue that guys like Avery and Cherry derive their so-called media credentials from getting under peoples skin, rather than their hockey sense.

I’m not questioning Cherry’s record as a coach- and at any rate, I don’t think you need to have a hugely successful NHL history to comment on the game. There are lots of guys out there who know hockey and have lots of interesting things to say about the game who aren’t Scotty Bowman or Ken Dryden. The point is: is he the best hockey commentator our national broadcaster can hire? I don’t know. I hope not.

15. krob1000 says:

WEll let’s look at MR. Bowmans record with the Buffalo Sabres immediately after his “door opening days” with the dynasty that was Montreal of the 70’s. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=528
    He went on to coach the Sabres for 7 seasons (about Cherry’s career) where he once led them to the semi-finals and never won a Jack Adams and missed the playoffs one year. Hmmm thanks for your suggestion. Seriously give it up …dislike him for him but there is zero hockey argument supporting anything you have said.
    Bowman is still the greates coach of all time IMO but using this to compare to Chrry is ridiculous.

16. habsguy says:

Thank you Mr Boone…I’m wondering where the Rockies may have finished with a good coach like Scotty Bowman behind the bench !!
    He had a great team with the Bruins where basically all he had to do was open doors…apparently he didn’t do to well at the either !!!

17. The Teacher says:

Sorry, but The Dob a racist? I don’t know if I believe that, as it seems more of a “Canada Against the World” mentality.

18. cautiousoptimist says:

I think it’s instructive that throughout the “Greatest Canadian” contest, Don Cherry’s advocate was Bret “the Hitman” Hart, who for decades made his living pretending to punch people in the face. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

And though I’ll firmly defend your right to say it, arguing that a long-winded hockey commentator deserves greater esteem than the father of our health care system, for whom you have “the lowest and most antipathetic opinion,” seems flat-out bonkers to me.

Douglas, incidentally, punched people in the face for real, as Manitoba’s lightweight boxing champion.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
    2. Josh Gorges on Montreal’s attack: “They’re comin’, they’re comin’ and they keep comin’. Just line after line, wave after wave…”

19. VancouverHab says:

Dear Mike:

With respect, how is that salient? In fact, how it not simply mean?

Don Cherry was one among the long history of somewhat-successful coaches in the NHL’s march of time. (As he is wont to re-iterate, he did win Coach of the Year, meaning that he is more than rubbish.)

Don parlayed that into an exceptionally successful career in media (according to how such things are judged), and in turn parlayed that into a legitimate position as social icon. As you know, the CBC “Greatest Canadian” contest in 2004 placed Don Cherry in 7th place. Such rankings indeed have their benefits and and disadvantages, but they do reasonably express, in a democratic form, how those listed are significant in public life. The odius — such as Ernst Zundel — are not present there; neither are non-entities: I am properly not on the list, for instance.

The point is, you are misguided to belittle the man. One does not have to be in sympathy with Cherry’s media persona, or even with how he represents the issues. But that says nothing of the man’s worth and legitimacy. I myself have the lowest and most antipathetic opinion of the winner of the title “Greatest Canadian, Mr. Tommy Douglas. But I would be wrong to run down his validity or achievements.

For openness, I think Mr. Cherry has just the sentiments that our game, and that this country, needs. The hatred that he draws is purely partisan-social: people with Left-Wing social views become, in my experience, irrational to the point of apoplexy at publically-successful people with both populist and Right Wing points-of-view (pace Ms. Sarah Palin.)

(The certain gentleman below whose brief post is so astonishingly bileful in proportion to the topic, goes so far as to say that he actually prevents his children from watching Mr. Cherry on television. This type of censurious and controlling behavior would be disdained if the parents were Christian fundamentalists: it is equally disdainful if the parent is Puritanical in his Left-Wing politics.)

20. cautiousoptimist says:

When I saw this youtube video of Avery dancing around Brodeur like an idiot, I lost a good chunk of the meagre respect I had for him as a player. But that doesn’t mean he’s wrong about Cherry…

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat

21. krob1000 says:

Did he ever apply for any others? He probably works far better hours, makes just as much money, has less headaches,more fun and saw the potential for a more sustainable long term career in television. I was in no way comparing Don Cherry to Scotty friggin Bowman that is like comparing Brian Savage to Wayne Gretzky but Cherry’s tenure as a coach was definitely a success no matter how you look at it. His career on television …also a success ..again …no matter how you look at it. Scotty Bowman…. Boone …c’mon he is easily the best coach to ever stand behind a bench. I started this debargument because people were implying that Cherry “knows nothing” … if people want to dislike Don the person or character for whatever reason…fine …but his credntials speak for themselves. How many coaches have won Stanley Cups in the history of the game …big deal if he didn’t. He did get to two final and wina Jack Adams ….how many have done that? The guy knows his hockey and also knows how to get under peoples skin……..he’s like a catchy tune that you hate but find yourself humming standing in line at the grocery store.

22. Mike Boone says:

I think we have to ask ourselves why he hasn’t been asked to coach anyone except “you kids at home” since the Rockies canned his ass in 1980.
    30 teams in the league and he’s neverr had a sniff for a coaching, front-office or scouting gig.
    Would Scotty Bowman be out of hockey for 28 minutes, let along 28 years?

23. krob1000 says:

Take that back nightmare Ryder is still my idol! I think I am slowly leaning to Alexgei Plekoivu being my one true idol with the team right now Lats has a ways to go but he is an NHler and deserving of more time.

24. Chorske says:

I understood what he meant. But the story is funnier the way Patou tells it. ;)

25. nightmare_49 says:

krob – Just to let you know that your idol Lats has to go thru waivers if he was sent down , his playoff games just put him over the limit (160 games) so we are stuck with the lug.

26. krob1000 says:

I think the message is a long shot that is manageable for your goalie is best left to him (assuming there is not a pile of traffic in front)but if a guy is approaching dangerous territory than you try to block the shot at all costs. I think the outcome is unfortunately what makes or break that play and different goalies will have different views but that is how I would take that…..In all my defense I will not back him as an eloquent commuicator and acknowledge that he may not have clearly made his point lol.

27. Chorske says:

I’m torn. On the one hand he is enormously entertaining, mugging it up with Ron in his outrageous suits. He’s a pain in the ass and a classic and he’s complicated. I hate his sorry ass and I’ll miss him when he’s gone.

His hockey advice is of mixed quality. Example: my buddy Patou tells of the time he showed a bunch of clips and concluded: “YOU KIDS AT HOME, when the guy is coming in to take a shot, put your stick down and try to block it or deflect it.” The very next week, he had a whole bunch of clips and said: “YOU KIDS AT HOME, when the guy takes a shot from the point, get your sticks out of the way, let it go straight to your goalie, don’t try to deflect it”.

His commentary can be tasteless- the time he went on air in a pimp suit with earrings and proceeded to lisp and mince effeminately for ten minutes comes to mind. TOO MUCH, Don. Too much.

28. nightmare_49 says:

Preds Blame Boots ….. The Nashville Predators’ ownership tangle has taken another twist with the startling admission the NHL team has defaulted on a “$40-million” (all currency U.S.) loan .. Globe.com

If that raises fresh questions about the franchise’s viability, Nashville’s owners say the blame should be laid at the feet of former minority owner William (Boots) Del Biaggio III, who declared bankruptcy in June ………………………………… NHL Morning Papers (Friday Edition) .. by Richard Pollock ….. http://www.illegalcurve.com/2008/10/03/nhl-morning-papers-friday-edition-25/

29. krob1000 says:

he ahd a horrible team with the Rockies so I guess we’ll never know. There have been many coaches with awesome teams that have done nothing. He wasn’t a one year wonder he stuck around with that “awesome team” for five years. If management thought they were close and that a coaching change would make a difference do you not think they would have done something? Let it go…the guy is a success as a coach, a businessman, a hockey commentator and apparently an off ice agitator. As a hockey player yeah he didn’t go as far as he would have liked but for a 5 foot 11 inch 180 pound defenseman to have a 15 year pro career is pretty damn impressive to me…especially since he was NOt an offensive guy. Hate him for what he is or isn’t but just please don’t ignore the facts when doing so. The guy knows his hockey better than any and all of us……that is unfortunately a fact.

30. habsguy says:

Oh come on, he had an awesome team with the Bruins, what happened when he didn’t ???????

31. habsguy says:

I’ve only played pick up as an adult, rec as a kid, and I really don’t have much to say about his hockey level, it is an accomplishment to play pro hockey anywhere…it’s more him, the man as a role model for kids, I used to get a kick out of him, he was funny, but it seems he’s gotten to big for his own good, he has good ideas about icing, the glass etc, but don’t we all have those ideas!!!

32. krob1000 says:

How many goals did you score? Where did u play, coach, commentate or for that matter have anything to do with hockey? HIO is fun but I know where I fit in the grand scheme of things …….I know everything I need to because I am aware that I know nothing and that I can learn from people with experience and knowledge. Gee that Don he always talks about his prowess as a goal scorer ….he was a defenseman!!!lol maybe you should figure out what position he played before you go making comical retorts like that! He coached 6 nhl seasons, went to he finals twice, semi finals twice, lost in the first round once and won the Jack Adams trophy (look that up because you probably don’t know what it is) and only missed the playoffs once …….with the expansion Colorado Rockies.

33. DAVE. N says:

I actually think this is a grape topic!

34. Le.Bon.Serge. says:

What level have you played habsguy?

_________________________________________________________________________
    “No way! Thats unbelievable! Thats the save of the year and its not even the year yet!”
    (on Carey Price stick save against Detroit)

35. Le.Bon.Serge. says:

I really think that Cherrys reputation, well in Quebec, was made-up by the media. Yep he said some things against frenchies….When was that? 15 years ago??!!!

When I talk with my friends, who are hockey fans, and I tell them that I like Cherry, they are all surprised. They thinks he is bashing frenchies all the time, wich is not the case.

I had those prejudices against him, and when I started to watch him on tv, I realized that those were coming from the french Montreal journalist.
    They are hating him probably just because he is from Toronto.

They are the ones that are racists.

_________________________________________________________________________
    (on Carey Price stick save against Detroit)

36. habsguy says:

Ya, play with your heads up, but don’t bother with a helmut or visor.

37. habsguy says:

if the 2 you mentioned were Leafs or Bruins he would love them.

38. habsguy says:

well you got me there..13 goals for his career year at Kitchener-Waterloo Beavers, other than that, I think 7 was his highest total..so I guess if thats what you call successful…I’m worng !!

39. Exit716 says:

If it wasn’t for Don Cherry there wouldn’t have been a Stanley Cup win in 1979.
    Meanwhile…in Nashville…the Commish’s hand picked partner to save the Preds…is in deeper financial trouble.

40. Le.Bon.Serge. says:

You dont want Cherry as a role model? He may be loud and colourful, be if you would listen to him, you would witness that the guy is all about security on the ice.

He is mad about guys that does cheap shots. He is against guys like Downie, Simon and more. He wants the NHL to change the boards so that it comes flat with the glass to prevent loosing your teeths and getting disfigured. He always say to the kids to learn to play with their heads up.

Its always safety first with him. Tough hockey, but within the rules.

Listen to him this season and youll see.

_________________________________________________________________________
    (on Carey Price stick save against Detroit)

41. P St. Pierre says:

I agree that Don Cherry probably knows more about hockey than many, especially Sean Avery. I rarely agree with Cherry in his assessments but that doesn’t mean that I’m always right and he’s always wrong. He has valid points on occasion and he isn’t as anti-French as he used to be. He says that Vinny is the best player in the NHL and he’s said that for the last three seasons.

Avery is simply annoying, a classless individual whose antics are embraced (if only in secret) by the NHL in order to attract U.S. born fans to the game and get their butts in American NHL arena seats. Does anyone think that Bob Gainey would ever put Avery in a Canadiens’ jersey? Of course not, you can’t be an idiot and expect the classiest organization in sports to support your actions. He’s been far more racial in his comments towards French players than most and he’s been an embarrassment to many of his teammates on various clubs for many seasons. I’m weary of his comments.

42. Le.Bon.Serge. says:

Your post is awesome. You wrote what I would have written if I could express myself perfectly in english.
    _________________________________________________________________________
    (on Carey Price stick save against Detroit)

43. mrstewart61 says:

Cherry is not a role model I want my kids to follow after.
    ———————————————————————————————————————-
    If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

44. krob1000 says:

Failed as a player……what percentage of people who play hockey make it to the show or play pro hockey …hardly a failure. Same rule applies for the coaching. Wear helmet? Craig Mctavish was the last one to not wear one and that was years ago…..maybe you haven’t tuned in a while. White Canadians…this is the second comment I have heard of this nature……where do you guys get this from. Yes he promotes Canadians but at NO POINT as he ever incorporated color into anything ….other than what would have been a very bland program without him. Is his promting Canadians any different that soemone complaing that factories are moving to other countries and Canadians are losing jobs. You folks are completely manufacturing the White thing …it is a Canadian thing…that is it….like it or don’t but don’t make things up.

45. Le.Bon.Serge. says:

You didnt read my post dont you? Cherry rooted for the Habs after they eliminated Boston. He wore a Habs tie. He said it was a great team. He never stopped talking good about Price, Kovalev, Komisarek and a lot of our players.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

_________________________________________________________________________
    (on Carey Price stick save against Detroit)

46. Mr.Hazard says:

Also some interesting points. However, it IS his knowledge being questionned (by Avery, above). And if our national TV station decides to use a “racist” host, perhaps we should point at Canadian television. Because most people are “racist” in some form or other.

Thoughts.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

47. santeri says:

What I find somewhat entertaining is the fact that the shit disturbers like Ruutu and Avery are actually some of the most intelligent (that is, least simple) players out there, at least off the ice. As for the majority of the players, well, let’s just say I wouldn’t let them (or Cherry, for that matter) do my taxes.

48. Mr.Hazard says:

Hm hm hm. Excellent points my friend. Especially about his conservatism. If you would take away the “Thumbs up Don!” at the end, I think I would agree 100%!

Ex nihilo nihil fit

49. habsguy says:

Cherry failed as a player, failed as a fighter, failed as a coach and failed as an owner, and now (since he’s gotten to big for himself) he’s a failing sidekick to a VERY knowledgable Ron McLean.
    He’s a loud mouthed over bearing ignorant idiot that my children are not allowed to watch. I want my son who plays hockey to wear a helmet, I don’t want my children hating others because they aren’t white Canadians.
    The man doesn’t belong in the public eye !!!!

50. G-Man says:

“Cherry will support any Canadian team.”
    As long as they are called the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Gilbert
    2008/09 is the season of the Habs

51. G-Man says:

Don Cherry is an old-fashioned racist that belongs on the the dung heap of history, not on a nationally televised show. It’s not his hockey knowledge that it is in question. It’s his “old white english speaking only” mentality.

Gilbert
    2008/09 is the season of the Habs

52. jimbo says:

Amen Krob,very well stated.Cherry’s knowledge of hockey is far superior than anything i’ve read on here.

53. merch says:

You laud Cherry for speaking his mind, but demonize Avery for doing the same?

54. krob1000 says:

I’ll start by saying yes I am from Kingston but Cherry does know his hockey and a hell of a lot more than any of us on here. A car salesman?? He was a pro player and coached the Boston Bruins…..he knows hockey. He actually watches every game that is played during the season ……anyone on here do that?? Yes some of his views are antiquated but to imply he knows nothing is absurd …especially from us. He is also an entertainer and businessman who knows that controversy and opinionated views and the character he has spent decades developing is what has made him an icon …..and he is an icon whether you like it or not. Cherry says what he feels and he says things that noone else has the balls or the apparent bullet proof status to get away with. I disagree with him on a regular basis but I am not stupid enough to be naive as to his intent. He is an ultra conservative (maybe the only one) in a position where everyone else appears to have a desire to ruin our beloved game. He tries his best to remain traditional and without him and his influence (which none of you are even acknowledging …and it has been huge in shaping the views of a generation) things may be different. He is a proud man who is very loyal and I suspect the majority of the ire on here is attributable to his affiliation and loyalty to two of our chief rivals over the last 30 years.

Anyone who says Don Cherry knows nothing is embarassing themself unless they too coached at the NHl level, played at the NHL level, have attended and/or watched nearly every game (by all teams) over the last 30 years, personally knows hundreds of current nhlers and has all access to virtually anything and everything that is NHL today. The simple fact that you folks are chatting about him proves he has done his job well. He is an agitator of the ice in the same way Avery is on the ice ….too bad generations couldn’t meet because my gut says Cherry would have cleaned his clock in his prime. Avery would probably score hat trick and skate circles around Don but Don would be the last man standing IMO. I like Avery too and think he has stepped up into a an entertainer role and figure of public interest for the massess. Love him or hate him you have an opinion of him and that is what the league needs after two work stoppages in the last 15 years. He too plays a role and it serves him well.

Next time you guys get rattled by the likes of Don Cherry and his rantings while in CHARACTER turn the channel to a wrestling program for a while …..some of you will get it and others won’t but those guys are playing roles and saying things that are….get ready for this….total b.s (sorry for those who think that every word heard on television is the gospel). I love to disagree with Don Cherry as much as the next person and if we want to talk about commentators that know nothing let’s look at the play by play guys like Millen or Bowen or several others…..how about Glen Healy…..another guy trying desperately to bet he next Don Cherry. They have been looking for years and they would love to get Rid of Don Cherry if there was a worthy replacement …there isn’t. There are an abundance of well spoken knowledgeable guys like Ferraro, Hrudey, etc but it’s guys like Cherry and to some extent Pierre Mcguire who are hard to find. These guys speak from the heart and whether you like it or not they make you listen……a job well done IMO. Bland, generic commentating and discussion is not what any of us want and I suspect it is no different than us on here.. …..as much as I harp on the negative folks and people with different opinions (wrong if they don’t agree with me LOL) it is that variety and difference of opinion that keeps things interesting.

Thumbs up Don!

55. VancouverHab says:

We Hab fans have a dog in this fight, and it’s on Cherry’s side. Avery is yapping abuse at Dandy Don because Don–along with all of us– thinks (& in Cherry’s case, publically says) that Avery is a despicable cheap-shot artist and petty loudmouth who is bad for the game.

You may not yourself appreciate Don Cherry, but the Canadian thing to do is put your animosity aside when the one whom you have antipathy toward is speaking (a.) the goods, and (b.) on the side of your own interests; to wit, the fact that Avery is a creep and a blot on the game.

I like Mike Boone a lot (apart from his profanities), but surely he and Cherry are cut from exactly the same cloth: blue-collar types with a high opinion of themselves and a plain manner of speech.

Full disclosure: I do not understand how people can on one hand complain that public figures don’t speak their minds, and then on the other insult Don Cherry for, you know, having personal favourite teams. One should appreciate the honesty, and admit that Cherry will support any Canadian team.

56. merch says:

Sean Avery is fantastic! Love this guy! The NHL needs fewer cliché-spouting drones and more people that actually have something to say (albeit maybe with a little more tact than Avery usually uses, he’s still hilarious). Maybe it’s because he is right about hockey players being under-educated and “really, really… simple” :)

As far as Cherry is concerned, I am in the same boat as him, until about two years ago, when any of my friends were going on about how terrible he was, I used to defend him, now I can see the light. Same thing with the Cole/Neale tandem. The CBC needs a fresh start, maybe this will be the year.

Here’s the full interview video, a great watch:

He is an entertainer and showman, he knows nothing about the game. His wife made him and he rode other people’s coat tails his whole life including Bobby Orr. Being loud and rude covers for his lack of knowledge.

58. Le.Bon.Serge. says:

Im one of the guys that likes Cherry, and Im french.

I think he does a great job at bringing clips of little details that no one else show. ex; A player that made a simple play,that we didnt see on tv, but makes a big difference in a game. We dont even see any replays on RDS!

Avery is lying when he says that Cherry doesnt know anything about hockey.
    I dont always agree with Cherry, but he have the guts to share his opinions. Will you ever see that on RDS? Demers is only rooting for Quebec players and Brunet never says his opinion. Cherry isnt scared to blame a player he likes.

Cherry likes the old time hockey, tough and fast. The way it should be played in my opinion.

Oh and please stop saying he hates the Habs! Sure his first team is Boston. Theres nothing wrong with that. But when they got eliminated by the Tricolore, he was cheering for us and even wore a Habs tie. He took our back in front of all Canada when the riots occured. He didnt say bad things about french people even if the door was wide open for him to do so.

As for Avery….hes just dumb. When a guy like Tucker says that he crosses the lines, you can believe him.

Trash talk? Sure! Respect? Avery doesnt seem to have some of it….

_________________________________________________________________________
    (on Carey Price stick save against Detroit)

59. krob1000 says:

Shall we see you coaching in the bigtime soon Ian. Yes he is an entertainer but he knows more about the game than you, I and the entire collective of us posters. His biggest fault is his biggest strength and that is his opinion. Someone please explain to me how any of us on here can actually say with a straight face that Don Cherry knows nothing about the game. How many games did you watch last year ……Being rude is just his personality ….I think you have things reversed…because you are a positive person and try to always see the good in things a guy like Don bothers you. Try seeing around the ego and persona of Don and accept the reality that the guy knows hockey. Yeah he is too rigth wing at times but someones gotta be to maintain balance. I am nowhere near him on his views and outlooks most of the time but when it comes to the finer points of hockey and general committment to team, preaching the importance of sacrifice, teaching kids while commenting he is effective an asset to the game. He is deliberate in his delivery and one sided and that offends but it only offends you if you let it.

60. Moey says:

Well said Robert, I don’t know how much truth there is to the rumor that the departure of Souray and Rivet (and Samsonov)gave him more “space” in the dressing room, but it could have been a factor. He has blossomed since then, I just love him, he’s great.

61. nightmare_49 says:

Robert L – Good read and i hope Kovy does sign soon and it sounds great to me.

62. habs33 says:

Avery’s right. Cherry is an idiot. Why the rest of Canada seems to praise the man is beyond me. Kudos to Avery for making it perfectly clear. While I think Avery is a real idiot himself, he does have a point.

Ever watched a Rock ‘em Sock ‘em? It’s like Jerry Springer on ice. Cherry seems to undermine everything good about the game right now. He hates Europeans, he dislikes Crosby, he thinks that players who wear visors are sissy’s and he likes the Leafs!

When he gets a players name wrong no one seems to care. We roll our eyes or blame it on nerves, but after a while it’s totally inexcusable.

63. Exit716 says:

It’s Leaf fan that thinks Cherry is the be all and end all of hockey. He showed all he knows about hockey when he ran the Mississauga Ice Dogs into the ice.

64. Blitzen says:

Avery beating up on Cherry. Isn’t that a little like Cardinals beating up the Pope?
    _____________________________________________________
    Mad Pax…Beyond Powerdome

What the hell, my post is potential spam this morning?????????

I responded to your post about Cherry and I was flagged as spam, what is going on here this morning.?????

67. tony d says:

Cherry was a car salesman!!!! (not that there’s anything wrong with that) and now he’s a broadcaster???!!!
    Sorry but there are so many more talented and knowledgeable people out there who’ve worked hard and they deserve to get a crack at HNIC. I agree, Cherry’s days were over when dinosaurs roamed. Instead of a new theme contest, they shoulda had a new side-kick contest for Ron.

68. tony d says:

Ian, it’s become a vegetarian site, no luncheon meats allowed

69. Ian G Cobb says:

Maple Leaf stuff and you lose or die.

70. Mr.Hazard says:

Higgins:
    “Only in this province do they let you out of school to watch a practice, you know?”
    They wouldn’t let them out to watch a game, cause no one can afford tickets.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

71. Jay in PA says:

Cherry is the worst of 1970’s hockey preserved in amber. He makes John Madden sound like a genius.

This may be inflammatory, but it seems that hockey players and coaches have a very hard time making the transition from being in the game to commenting on it. Compare it to American football, where Sunday halftimes across networks feature a range of former players and coaches who express great knowledge and personality. Ferraro is good and will be a big upgrade for HNIC, but it’s telling that “Hot Stove Corner” or whatever it’s called is composed exclusively of journalists.

72. Ian G Cobb says:

I know him well, and if you want to be a friend of his , you better not have an opinion. He has been a complete fool for a long time.

73. Morenz7 says:

For a while, it seemed like only ex-goalies were qualified to be hockey broadcasters. Healy, Hrudey, Greg Millen, Darren Pang, John Garrett, the list went on. They were better than any of the former skaters on offer, I suppose. But what the hell does Millen really know about being, say, a penalty-killing centre?

74. J.T. says:

Watching Avery dump on Cherry is a little like using an outhouse…a monumental arse dropping its contents down a deep hole filled with crap.

75. HabFab says:

Love it.Too bloody funny.