Avalanche won’t take Jones with No. 1 pick

The Colorado Avalanche won’t be selecting defenceman Seth Jones with the No. 1 pick at this year’s NHL draft.

Adrian Dater of the Denver Post reports that after a week of internal meetings, the Avalanche brass decided that if it doesn’t deal the No. 1 pick it will select one of the three top-rated forwards: Nathan MacKinnon, Jonathan Drouin or Aleksander Barkov.

“If we do pick first, we’re leaning more toward one of those three forwards,” Joe Sakic, the Avalanche executive vice-president of hockey operations, told Dater.

“We feel those three forwards are just too good to pass up,” Sakic added.

In its mock draft, The Hockey News had the Avalanche taking Jones with the No. 1 pick, followed by MacKinnon going to Florida at No. 2, Drouin to Tampa Bay at No. 3 and Barkov to Nashville at No. 4. THN also had the Canadiens selecting goaltender Zach Fucale , a Montreal native, with the No. 25 pick.

“Carey Price needs an heir and local boy Fucale is the best available netminder this year,” THN wrote in its July edition.

In other news, Hockey Canada has announced it will hold press conferences Thursday morning in Montreal and Toronto to announce that a “major event” will be hosted by the cities. It is expected to be the world junior championship.

TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweeted that the cities will share the 2015 and 2017 junior championships with Montreal hosting the preliminary round and Toronto the medal round in 2015 and then the reverse will happen in 2017.

(Photo by Nathan Denette/The Canadian Press)

Avalanche to pass on Seth Jones to take forward, by Denver Post

Is there a future for Letang in Pittsburgh? TSN.ca

Gretzky believes Nordiques will return, montrealgazette.com

Being Chara is no big deal, by Bruce Arthur of Postmedia News

Strength in middle Boston’s blueprint for success, NHL.com

Time for Lightning to buy out Lecavalier? by Stu Cowan

Where will Luongo, Bernier end up? Sportsnet.ca

Remembering Bobby Orr’s most famous goal, by Stu Cowan

Hawks fan grows playoff lawn instead of beard, by Stu Cowan

1. Not sure how many video game-playing armchair GMs there are on here (I’m guessing more than a couple), but there’s a new game in beta called Franchise Hockey Manager: https://www.facebook.com/FranchiseHockeyManager. It’s being backed by Out of the Park Developments, which has a pretty successful baseball manager series.

It’s 34$, and while not all features have been implemented, it’s quite playable and mostly bug-free. For those of you who played Eastside Hockey Manager, it’s a lot like that, but spruced up. For everyone else, it’s a hockey sim — you don’t play the games so much as running a team, scouting, drafting, trading, signing free agents, setting lines, adding coaches, etc… They also have “legend” teams from the past, and while the trading still has some issues, it’s a lot more realistic than in an EA hockey game (i.e. you can’t package together a dozen fourth-liners for Sidney Crosby). They’ve 20 or so leagues in there so far, and from what I understand, more are coming.

For the really big geeks out there like me, the message boards are here: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/franchise-hockey-manager/. The community seems pretty vibrant and involved.

I believe the completed game is set to launch in September.

Wonder if Buffalo is talking to Colorado. Dangle Grigorenko and Miller and see what Patrick would give back.

• New says:

So last years 12th, a 33 year old goalie who was pretty darn good and American, and….for the first overall? I think Patrick would bite for Grigorenko ( a mistake) but before the deal could pan out the first overall would probably be a star, Miller would be gone, and Grigorenko would be Antropov. The world would never stop reminding him.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

Why would Roy be relevant in such a discussion?
      As head coach he doesn’t make trades, and I don’t think the GM would answer to the HC, sure he may have pull, but run the team he does not..

Go Habs Go

I am a bit dumb founded to see that Nathan MacKinnon is the winner of the poll. The Habs don’t need another 5’11” puck moving defence man. They need a Seth Jones. He got my vote.

• commandant says:

Nathan MacKinnon measured in at 6’0.5″ at the NHL combine.

He’s not a puck moving defenceman, he’s an offensive centre.

If anything Jones is the puck moving dman. I don’t know where he got the reputation as a physical player (maybe because he’s 6’4″), but the next time he hammers someone will likely be the first time.

MacKinnon also made him look very ordinary at the Memorial Cup.

I like Jones, but I think it makes sense that he’s only the third best guy in the draft.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• bwoar says:

?

“thoroughbred”

• Strummer says:

He’s roughly the same size as Crosby and that didn’t hold Sid back from utilizing his skill set..
      He’s also as highly coveted as Crosby was in his draft year .

Same hometown too.

Edit- also a centre- lots in common with the Kid
      ______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

4. bwoar says:

Happened to notice the Carey Price discussion come up again surrounding his bizarre comments. It suddenly hit me that we’ve been looking at this all wrong: Hobbits, in point of fact, are most at ease and content when firmly ensconced in their holes. Perhaps Carey was telling us how happy he is!

“thoroughbred”

5. commandant says:

Anyone else get the feeling the Avs are trying to get Florida or Tampa to trade up to #1?

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Maritime Ron says:

Yes, and it might even be more open than that.
      As mentioned, do you believe Patrick has the patience to wait around before the team is competitive?

They are brutal on D, so perhaps if someone puts forth an incredible package, they jump.
      If they want to stay in the Top 4, picking any of those forwards would open up a trade for either O’reilly or Stastny that could fetch ready made Dmen.

• Kooch7800 says:

yup.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• The_Truth says:

I agree. It looks like they want Drouin and know that Tampa and Florida covet Mckinnon. By saying they want a forward, and not Jones, Florida and Tampa would be scared to lose McKinnon now, and have to up their offers for a trade to #1. Avalanche can only gain, because they know Drouin won’t be picked ahead of the other guys by those teams.

It’s the only thing that makes sense for Sakic to tip his hand like he did. Sakic isn’t stupid. If he said he wouldn’t take Jones, then why not specify the player they want instead of saying “one of the 3 forwards”?

According to Ray Ferrarro they are just trying to save their fans money who may be buying Avalanche Jerseys with Jones on the back. No word of a lie he said it on radio yesterday.

• ont fan says:

Absolutely. The Florida teams are looking for forwards so how much are they willing to pay to assure that.

• habstrinifan says:

I do. But it still ha sthe same final effect.. they will be passing on Seth Jones and let Florida or Tampa take him while they drop down and also get an addittional asset.

Still a risky move… unless they know something about Jones ‘work/life habits’ which they consider irreversible.

Also Patrick may be ‘naturally’ leaning to the QJMHL player and hopes to snag him and also get a bonus from Tampa or Florida.

• Ozmodiar says:

I expect the usual rumors about the #1 pick being traded right up until Colorado takes to the stage and announces their pick.

• New says:

They’re trying to sell insurance. They will promise to do what they were going to do anyway for a premium. I don’t think either Tampa or Florida is that stupid.

6. krob1000 says:

Can SOMEONE PLEASE…explain to me how the JAys are only 4 and half games out of the wildcard based on the standings. I don;’t understand how they are 6 games back of the Orioles in the dvision race….yet 4.5 games back for the wild card? I looked on other sited and they have it like this as well.

BOston 44w 30 L
    Baltimore 42w 31 L 1.5 back
    New York 39w 32L 3.5 back
    Tampa 37w 35l 6 back
    Toronto 35w 36 L 7.5 back

yet the JAys are somehow not 6 back of BAlt?

They are chasing Texas technically for the 2nd wild card spot, thus the 4.5 games back versus the 6 games back of Baltimore.

(Texas is not tied with Baltimore in games, but rather each have a wild card spot presently, thus the reason they appear tied in wild card race)

• krob1000 says:

ah ok..thanks….that makes me feel much better! was very confused…they said on the highlight show that they were now trai’ing Balt for a the wildcard and were 4 and half games back going into the weekend…i looked and could not get it…must have just been a mistake they made and I then was too pigheaded to really look at the bigger picture…I was just looking at them relative to Balt.

7. florida habs says:

what about Bozak? UFA, 6.0′ 190 LBS, center

• Luke says:

Plus, it has been reported that he wants more than 4mil/season. If DD and his 28points last season isn’t worth 3.5m, I don’t think Bozak and his 28points are worth more.

He wants 5.5 per season like Grabovski! He is a good faceoff guy, and decent defensively, but not worth anything more than 2.5/3.0 per season.

• Kooch7800 says:

we don’t need him

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Maritime Ron says:

He had some nice line mates in Lupul and Kessel and he had a gang of PP minutes

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree. We also just don’t have a need for a centre right now when there are other issues that need to be addressed on Defense as well as top 6 goal scoring

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Luke says:

Kooch, I will sorta disagree with you, but not really… but kinda.

We need the *right* centre, not any centre… if a highend, faceoff winning, offensively gifted, big centre became available (as they so often do) we need that.

• Kooch7800 says:

@Luke…your first sentence made me laugh. I agree with you that some amazing opportunity to upgrade at Centre I would do it but I think for the next couple of seasons with Eller and Gally, Pleks and DD they need to address some other holes first before a centre.

To me the habs need some more grit up front to insulate Gallagher, DD a bit and add some scoring punch we lost with ryder/Cole now leaving.

We also need to address the current D situation. Long term they should be in good shape but currently the D is lacking and it emphasized with Emelin going down and by any strong forechecking team.

It will be a fun off season to watch as here we will really see what MB is made of and the extra factor of the buyouts makes it fun as well

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• florida habs says:

why I asked, if we bundle Pleks as the main piece with some other assets to get the big winger, Bozak appears to have a bigger upside offensively and in the face-off circle, which is an area we are sorely lacking. but it sounds like he won’t fit into Pleks salary slot.

8. Ozmodiar says:

Nice win by the Hawks last night!! 2-2 is much more compelling than 3-1. I guess I’ll have to tune in on Saturday night.

Despite the win, I’m starting to get a bit worried about what I consider the Hawks Achilles heel – Johnny Oduya. Man, he looked bad last night. Frankly, I don’t see how Leddy would be much worse out there.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Morning Oz. (or should that be ‘jo reggelt kivanok’…)
      As worried as you are by Oduya’s weak play (LOTS of giveaways!), I was delighted with Chara’s! Look at the highlights and find Chara on all the Hawks’ goals. Enjoy

• Dust says:

Bickell was all over Chara last night

• florida habs says:

especially nice, as he was standing there when the winning goal went in, unable to move out Toews.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Was going to post earlier about how impressive Toews was parking himself in front despite the attention of the Bruins wide-boys.

He is the same size as Max-Pac.

• Ozmodiar says:

Boy oh boy, I’m gonna enjoy watching the decline of the Great Z!!
        He’s got plenty of bad games ahead of him… in the not so distant future, I think.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Careful!
          I was stung by his poor play in March/April, hypothesised publicly that the decline had set in. Not sure now (although he truly sucked last night).

I will continue to say that he is overrated. A good defenseman, yes, game-changer, yes yes yes. But not the best in the league or in the history of the planet.

Let the Nino Niederreiter rumours start up. Evidently he has chosen to decline the offer to participate in his 4th summer prospects camp with the Islanders.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 18h
    Nino Niederreiter has declined to attend prospect camp this year. Players are required to attend 3x, choose to attend after that. #Isles
    Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More

• SlovakHab says:

Here’s a question for all.

For the purpose of a buyout, would you trade Tomas Kaberle for Rick DiPietro + Nino?
      We would then buy out RDP’s contract and keep Nino as a consolation for the monetary value of RDP’s contract buyout.

If no – what would it take to trade Kaberle (who btw could be useful to Isles and help their PP after Streit departure) for RDP’s buyout? Please don’t dream about Tavares :D Realistic players only, haha.

I would be very happy to see the Habs use their wealth to pick up a player. Unfortunately, I am not sure Molson wants to spend that kind of money on a Rick Dipietro buyout, granted the franchise can afford it.

• Maritime Ron says:

Dipietro Buyout cost in Salary:
          $36,000,000 remaining
          2/3 of that would cost $24,000,000 spread over 16 years which is double the time remaining on his contract.
          That becomes $1,500,000 every year until 2028-29

Kaberle Buyout cost in Salary:
          $4,500,000 remaining
          2/3 of that would cost $3,000,000 spread over 2 years which is double the time remaining on his contract.
          That becomes $1,500,000 per year for just 2 years.

This crazy year, anything is possible, yet that scenario appears unlikely

I know the dollar figures are crazy, just that the team as an operation could budget that money in, granted you want to make sure the prospect you are essentially buying is a good bet.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

“Realistic players only, haha.”

Man, on this site you are dreaming the impossible dream!

10. Ozmodiar says:

I gotta say I’m a little surprised at how soundly Nate Mac is beating the others in the HiO poll. He’s my pick, but I figured Drouin would have more votes. Jones didn’t stand a chance considering the blog’s headline picture.

11. Habfan10912 says:

To any gear heads friends out there, this weekends NASCAR race in Sonoma California will feature a Canadian flavor. Ron Fellows will be driving a car sponsored by Canadian Tire and Montreal’s own Jacques Villeneuve will be racing. Villeneuve is a road course expert and if he had a top notch car would be a strong favorite to win. He’ll still run well even with inferior equipment.

What a crazy game, but the good guys won!!

13. Habfan10912 says:

The question of the day for me. What the heck was wjc doing up so late last night? :)

Not only was he up late but he provided very thoughtful post all day long as well. Among them were this one:

“How does ‘Price’ ever have home ice advantage, with people ready to pounce, first chance they get.”

He’s dead on. The life of playing goal in Montreal.

• Maritime Ron says:

Re the Price home advantage, one of the funniest (I think…) answers I ever read concerning why Price is at $6.5M per year.
      The poster said, ” he gets paid $4M to stop the puck and $2.5 to put up with all the crap”
      The question of the day for me:
      Is that $2.5M too little, or too much?

• Cal says:

Hey, Jim. More like the life of any goalie in a city that cares about winning hockey. The perception that the players read stuff here or worry about the papers or the fans is funny.

• Habfan10912 says:

That’s probably a good point but in Canadian towns it’s so much different. Even NY, Philadelphia, Boston and Chicago where in US terms hockey is big, are not the same. Players can still walk down those streets and for the most part not be recognized. Not so in Canada. Got to be tough for these guys but so is life sometimes and they’re payed handsomely for their trade.

• ont fan says:

I have a relative who played for Wash., Atlanta and Toronto. All 3 teams were poor at the times he played for them. He couldn’t go anywhere in TO without being accosted by fans and he was a 4th or 5th defenseman. The stars had it much worse, so the papers have little to do with it. After you sign a contract the money is meaningless too. They are set no matter who they play for. They have been winners all their lives and that’s what they want to do, win and excel, believe me. They are harder on themselves than we could ever be. The other 2 places he was anonymous.

• Maritime Ron says:

Cal, if what you say is so, then what does this mean?

Price:
        “That’s one thing I miss, just being anonymous,” he said. “It’s tough to do that here.”

Price was then asked if it was indeed tough, or impossible. He didn’t hesitate to answer.

“I don’t even go to the grocery store anymore. I hardly do anything anymore. I’m like a hobbit in a hole. I just don’t do anything anymore.”
        ———
        The next question is that just about all the players never admit to watching or reading about hockey or stories. I always found that curious as most always seem to be 100% aware of stories and quotes throughout the NHL. How does that happen?

• Cal says:

If Price doesn’t like his $6mil a year job, he can go back to his rodeo career. If he doesn’t like being recognized, try asking to be traded to Phoenix, so , no, I don’t feel sorry for him at all. He’s chosen his profession.

Players are told by the media what’s going on as prefaces to their (usually mundane) questions.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I was VERY surprised at Price’s candour in that interview.
          I am a fan and I really want him to fulfil his potential and do it in Montreal. But those remarks worried me. It’s not like he’s 19.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Hasn’t Stubbs already clarified that this was tongue-in-cheek? Probably not his words, but I think the idea was that Price was being humourous.

Morning Jim! My buddy whose restaurant we went to for brekky during Hamilton Summit was at the game last night. He is a huge Hawks fan and he took his cook (Bruin Fan) along with his Molson rep. who is a Bruin fan and some other bar owners. Can’t wait to hear from him how great the atmosphere must have been to watch that game.

The Boston fans must have surely thought their team was going to pull that game out.

What a game.

• Habfan10912 says:

It was a great game to watch. BTW – Our buddy L got in trouble again last night. She’s out again!

EDIT – I remember the place well. I had the “brown” toast and used the “washroom”. :)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Sending your post to Bletchley Park for decoding.

LOL, Jim was curious how we Canadians reference the American term washroom as a bathroom, and how we reference whole wheat instead of brown. Or is it supposed to be Warshroom, :)

Here are some of the details on the helmet/visor rules the GM’s are proposing. What is interesting to note is that the hope of the league is that players punching a visor or helmet will reduce fighting.

So they want to reduce fighting, but don’t want to reduce the fight. Whether a person is pro or against fighting in the NHL, the concept of introducing details like punching a visor or helmet will reduce fighting, is just asinine.

• habstrinifan says:

Good morning HabinBurlington.
      When you consider that (1) under the new visor rule the majority of players will soon be wearing visors then I think the disguised ‘anti fighting’ regulations which will become adjunctive to both the fighting rules and the visor rules are not that assinine.

If we accept the historical reaction of players and teams to an outright ban on fighting, we have to admit that any direct ‘anti fighting’ rule will be difficult to get on the books.

So “eliminate the instigator penalty for starting a fight with one’s helmet on” and add ‘a two-minute penalty for fighters who remove their helmets before a fight. So it would be a five-minute penalty for fighting, plus two more minutes for the helmet violation” make it very unlikely that the old ‘drop your gloves and start a boxing match” fight will be relegated to the current crop of ‘old guard enforcers’ and once they are gone from the scene you will indeed see less if not none of the hockey fight.

They have not only made the visor now a piece of equipment which all players can wear without questions of their ‘courage’ but also provided potection from the old charge that a brave player must ‘remove his helmet/visor’ to fight.

You are right… a roundabout way to ban fighting… but one that should have the desired effect among an ‘unwilling’ membership.

Hopefully we will now see the emotional trigger that drives fights be used to increase bodychecks etc. It may negatively cause an increase in ‘cheap shots’ but that is what the referees must be vigilant and guard against. Hockey is better with physical play properly executed and with no risk of having to fight after.

This is good for players like Emelin and P.K who can and do deliver crowd gasping clean hits but now wont be called upon to ‘remove their visor’ etc and fight. Of course it is fair if the opposing team’s hitters target them for ‘physical retribution’.

15. Maritime Ron says:

Good Morning morning crew.
    That was a fun game to watch, reminiscent of that 7-6 game we played against the Penguins back in early March.
    Team D almost non-existent, no goalies making the big save, and last shot wins.

In all fairness, these guys must be physically and mentally exhausted – especially the goalies….and you have to wonder about all the hidden hurts.
    4 games in 7 nights including 3 OT games for a total of an extra 76 minutes of intense hockey….all that following another 3 playoff rounds.

Then you have a guy like Duncan Keith and his almost unbelievable Time on Ice per game in this final alone:
    1) 48:40. 2) 32:09. 3) 26:21. 4) 32:37

Great game indeed to watch, speaking of players hurting, former Hawk Tony Amonte has now received an honourary doctorate from the Recchi school of medicine. He has now ascertained that Hossa indeed has no heart and could have played in game 3. He has also deduced that Hossa routinely takes 20 games off every regular season in order to be fresher for the playoffs.

Interesting that Amonte now works on the broadcast team for a Bruins radio show. Jack Edwards must be so proud of how Amonte is coming along in the world of broadcasting.

• SlovakHab says:

That’s a bloody good point, mate!
      Many people laugh at the goalies letting in 5 goals each, but if you think about their icetime….. 60-100 minutes per game… Little to no time off in the playoffs with backups not playing. Some of the best shooters and crease-crashers going at ya.
      I have nothing but respect for the starting goalies on both sides, regardless of the score in the last game.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning to you AND the am crew as well. As long as the team I root for is not involved, these are the types of games I enjoy the most. Hockey is a game of mistakes and last night we saw are share of those. Fun to watch but I bet the coaches didn’t enjoy it much. You’re point about fatigue is spot on. CHeers all.

16. Dunboyne Mike says:

Us glass-half-full guys are comforted by the Black Hawks’ press release today indicating that there was no loss of confidence in Crawford after last night. This is because about 80% of him played an elite game. Only his left arm had an off night.

There were of course the inevitable suggestions that the left arm might need a little counseling before Game 5.

• Cal says:

I hear they contacted Roy for a glove hand transplant, but the coaching job for the Avs came up and he refused.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Even without the transplant they could look at trading his left arm to some team with cap problems that can’t actually afford a complete back-up goalie.

(This suggestion is no less absurd than what the GMs are proposing re. helmets and fights.)

So TSN also reporting that Toronto and Montreal have a joint hosting of the 2015 and 2017 World Junior Championships.

2015 – Montreal hosts preliminary rounds, while Toronto hosts medal round.
    2017 – Flip Flop the 2015 hosting duties.

18. Cal says:

The series is now deadlocked!
    They are fit to be tied.

So the GM’s may put an end to the spinorama in shootouts. The games will still end with a gimmick shootout, just now less gimmickery?

And the GM’s also want to give an additional 2min. penalty for players who remove their helmets prior to a fight. So the fighting is fine, just they want the players to punch the helmets and not the other players heads. This approach to removing headshots from the game is so refreshing…..

20. Cal says:

A horrible night for the goalies and blown D coverage, but in the end POSton lost, so all is well! :)

Pretty exciting game Cal, another example of how goalies are often a product of team defence. Give up enough scoring chances and even the best goalies can give up 5 goals.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Something that gave me particular pleasure was how badly Chara completely sucked on nearly all the Chicago goals.

Let’s not confuse the words biggest and best. He is definitely the biggest. He is definitely not the best. Last night Chara was more porous than Spongebob Squarepants.

21. wjc says:

Things to ponder: Is there such a thing as home ice advantage.

Is anything in ‘hockey’ obvious…such as “it is obvious it is going to 7 games.

Some one has to lose, even though both deserve to win.

I think ‘Price’s’ days are numbered in Montreal. The lynch mob is circling….will still follow his career with interest. When he succeeds, the mob will say, Montreal management should not have traded him.

You can feel the fear on here, that a certain team will be successful.

wjc

Crawford went a bit Carey Price there but in the end not quite.

23. Peter Young says:

I liked the Hawks when they were league doormats during the 50s, but I disliked them in the 60s and the first part of the 70s because of their ouster of the Canadiens in the 1961 playoffs and because they were a constant threat to the Canadiens throughout that era. But ever since I’ve had a bit of a soft spot for them as an Original Six team that didn’t fulfill its promise back then with only that one Stanley Cup victory in 1961. And I kind of like Chi-Town fans, too. Go Hawks, go!

• wjc says:

I was crushed when they beat Montreal in 1961 and gave them a pounding as well.

Toronto had an outstanding team back them and prevent Chicago from winning, and then Montreal rebuilt and took over again.

wjc

• Dunboyne Mike says:

One of the best things on this site is posters with in-depth knowledge of various subjects like junior hockey and the draft, salaries and caps, etc.

But that said, it is hard to beat posts that recall and describe Habs games from the 50s and 60s. Those ones are gold.

Keep ‘em coming!

Cheers guys.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I think the whole city was in a state of shock that year. I know I was. I can remember walking to school in a state of consternation and perplexity.

24. habs001 says:

Hawks should win the series now..but who knows…lol…

• habstrinifan says:

Hopefully this win works two ways… give the HAWKS confidence and the kind of mojo that Boston got from their Toronto escape and kinda starts some doubts creeping into Boston’s sense of inevitability.

25. The Jackal says:

I wonder if Hawks fans are down on Crawford for the softies he has let in this series.

Hmmm…..

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

26. habs001 says:

The players that have the same role on Boston and Chicago as Moen has on the Habs have shown more effort and desire in one game than Moen has shown in 20 games

• The Jackal says:

Yeah that must be why Moen was a hero when his team won the cup. Or why he was a warrior every game prior to having this season as a poor one.

Yep. Totally makes sense.

EDIT: not to sound harsh, but Moen has been very good for us prior to this season. The goldfish memory fans have regarding their team/players is annoying sometimes.
      ______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Mark C says:

Yeah Shawn Thornton and his one hit in less than six minutes was great, so much effort. Frankly, what’s the point of comparing a guy who had an off year to players playing game 4 of the Stanley Cup finals?

27. habstrinifan says:

Both CHI wins seemed lucky… Boston’s wins, seemed ‘dominant’. But series tied.. so GO HAWKS GO!

• savethepuck says:

So game 2 when Boston won and Chicago had the the questionable “no goal” that would of put them ahead 2-0 in the 1st but they ended up losing 2-1 in OT was a dominant performance by Boston?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Exactly how I see it, too, Trini.
      Indeed, it was initially rather reminiscent of the Boston-Vancouver series. I reckoned the Bruins could be very satisfied with what they took out of Games 1-2 (so close to leaving Chicago 2-0), and was fearful of what might happen in Boston (remember Luongo, remember the Canucks becoming suddenly inept and traumatised?).
      So I am delighted with the split. To me, nauseating as it is to say, Boston still seem the stronger team, and I can’t really see there being issues of confidence among the Bruins generally. But at least the Hawks no longer have to wonder if — after totally dominating the West in this short season — the East has produced a team they can’t beat. They will be pumped back at the United.

28. Bill says:

This one is going game seven overtime, it’s pretty obvious.

Full Breezer 4 Life

29. habstrinifan says:

Chicago wins!….. and we shoulda signed Bickell yesterday. The price just went back up.

• Habbergasted says:

Watching Bickell play just makes me hope MB goes after him to his full extent. We need a guy like that who is not afraid to match up against the toughest in the league and still create offensive plays. I hope Bickell and MB had a good relationship in 2010.

For the rest of this season at least… Go Hawk…. Nope cant do it.

30. savethepuck says:

Yeah baby! Maybe we can have a few H I/O days without all the Bruins praise. Hawks got home ice advantage back.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

31. Bill says:

Rask not clutch. On his knees.

Full Breezer 4 Life

32. punkster says:

Gotta hate those little teams with a shitty goalie.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• HardHabits says:

Almost as much as I love the narrative you’re parroting.

• SlovakHab says:

Please stop hating Montreal Canadiens and please enjoy the Stanley Cup finals instead.

BTW I disagree with you, Carey Price is not a shitty goalie. He is a decent to good no.1 goalie with plenty of time in his career to win some hardware.

• punkster says:

Wha?

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• GrimJim says:

You forgot the sarcasm font…

• SlovakHab says:

You wrote “Gotta hate those little teams with a shitty goalie.” and I wrote “stop hating Habs, enjoy the SC finals instead. And CP is not a shitty goalie.”

Which part do you not understand??

Or are you trying to be a smart ass and say that one of the finalists is a small team with shitty goaltending? I would recommend a nice pair of specs in that case. Just because one game was 6-5 doesn’t make any of the goalies “shit” and any of these teams “little”. They have plenty of toughness without having average or below-average smurfs a la Desharnais/Gionta/Bouillon on their powerplay or in their lineup.

This is not a Fenwick Cup finals, this is a hockey game mate.

• punkster says:

Take your head out of your butt and set your sarcasm detectors to receive…mate.

Looking for an argument never was, isn’t now, and never will be my style…mate.

You don’t like stats…we get that…over and over and over…we get it…mate.

And this isn’t exactly hockey on here tonight…it’s all in good fun if you don’t take it too seriously…mate.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• SlovakHab says:

- I admit they were not on. I didn’t get it you were sarcastic.
            – I actually do like stats to some extent, but I prefer balanced approach. They don’t tell the whole story, but are fun to read.
            – Cool, won’t take it seriously. :) I really thought you were trolling. Although I’ve been on HIO about 3 years, I don’t remember who’s the sarcastic one and who likes to troll and spread nonsense. In any case, I won’t do any wars here. Pretty bad short-term memory for a 28-year old I have – that’s for sure.
            – Personally I’m not in the 100% stats or 100% Moarbig crowd. I am balanced, somewhere in the middle. Although you won’t call me liberal, after I just argued with you, above :D

No worries, have a good one mate. No offence meant at all.

• punkster says:

SlokvakHab…no offence taken…just chillin’ to some Miles now:

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Peter Young says:

Okay, boss. Can I hate the Montreal Canadiens not being in the finals just a little bit?

• The Jackal says:

MOAR bigger 0 – EOTP 1?

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• HardHabits says:

Mass 2 – Acceleration 2

3 games left. I still give Acceleration the edge, a slight edge. This series has been extremely close.

• The Jackal says:

Hey…. Hawks have mass too, and Bruins have acceleration. I’m just joking around with HIO’s favourite positions on team composition.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• SlovakHab says:

Both teams have both.
          We are talking about the best of the best in NHL.

Of course both teams have scoring, speed, size, toughness and goaltending.

None of these teams is “skilled but small” or “big without much skill”.

• HardHabits says:

I agree with both of you guys. I think Boston has the mass (size and grit) edge and the Hawks have the acceleration (speed and skill) one, but they both have elements of both, as is necessary.

size x mass = force

Both teams are forces.

• SlovakHab says:

For sure.
            Great hockey though.

I don’t care who wins, as long as it’s not the freakin’ Bruins. Chara, Julien and Marchand make it impossible for me to like them a bit.

33. Peter Young says:

Hawks have home ice advantage again. Yay.

34. habsfaninboston says:

Yessss! Hawks get some life.

35. H.Upmann says:

Niceeeee

Hockey Physics 101: Lesson 1

(size + grit) x (speed + skill) = force

Did Don Cherry just say that some of his Bruins players were on the rag when they got beat by the Habs back in the 70’s?

38. savethepuck says:

I didn’t want to stay up for another OT tonight. Crawford needed 1 more save. Don’t really bllame him for the tying goal because I don’t think he picked it up until it went over the guy trying to block the shots shin pad. Maybe he could of stopped 1 of the other ones though.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

39. <----- ALMOST PERFECT says:

If Chicago looses this one. They can blame crawford. 28 shots five goals. Rask 41 shots five goals. Rask is winning the battle.

40. SlovakHab says:

It’s tied, but Chicago’s Fenwick must look phenomenal because they’re outshooting their opponent.

Will probably win Corsi Cup this season as well.

41. habs001 says:

please dont get Niklas Hjalmarsson he looks like many of the Habs panic stricken d when under pressure

42. Peter Young says:

It seems fate is on the Bruins side this year. They don’t have as much talent as any of a number of teams, but they are playing better as a team than the Hawks. They have this never give up thing going for them, and they capitalize on it. That, plus their usual goaltending strength, has been enough so far. But … go Hawks go!

43. H.Upmann says:

These dzone turnovers aren’t helping the Hawks

44. saskhabfan says:

Crawfords play resembles having your roof done by meades creek roofing,full of leakes

• The Dude says:

Now that’s a lie boy,I’ve been protecting more families and their assets from the RAIN FORREST in 35 years than you can count,but thanks for mentioning my Company my lil RCMP stalker…. humm ,lying and RCMP …NOT AGAIN,LOL

45. habsfaninboston says:

The book is in on Crawford. Shoot glove side.

46. Bill says:

Book on Crawford is out and it’s called “High Glove Side”.

It’s the latest in a best-selling series of books with the same title looking at NHL goalies.

Full Breezer 4 Life

47. punkster says:

World class goaltending?

Neither of these guys are worth spit tonight.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

48. Mark C says:

Where is Emery?

49. H.Upmann says:

More goals than JM can handle

50. savethepuck says:

Now they have to hold on for once.

Edit: guess that’s not going to happen.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

51. Bill says:

Bruins are unstoppable. That one really hurt Chicago.

Full Breezer 4 Life

52. SlovakHab says:

5-4 YEAH!!!

53. savethepuck says:

This is a huge 4 on 3, followed by a short 5 on 3 if they don’t score, for the Hawks
    “They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

54. SlovakHab says:

Unreal. It was 3-1 and 4-2 Chicago… now 4-4??

55. jols101 says:

Crawford looking very ordinary tonight.

56. savethepuck says:

This is a crazy hockey game. Hawks need to keep coming at them.
    “They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Le Jadester says:

Totally.
      But say what ya want…..Bergie and Jagremeister were unreal on that tieing goal?
      Stupid boooins.

I really wanna watch PK and Gallagher in a Cup series wearing our sweater soon……like, in less than 5 years…….that’s my hope , I hope?

Habs, OLE !

57. JohnBellyful says:

Commandant, as usual, is doing an excellent job preparing us for the entry draft, focusing on the top 70.
    I thought I’d help out with the heavy lifting by looking at some of the players further down the list of prospects:

Bo ‘Diddley’ Squatt – Squatt isn’t expected to be a high, or even low, draft pick because most people don’t know him. However, he has shown flashes of competency in his final year in the college ranks, and the fact that he’s grown eight inches and added 65 lbs in the last six months should earn the 6’11”, 275-lb goaltender with a seven-foot wingspan and a Billy Smith disposition an invitation to training camp.

L.L. Van Camp – There’s nothing special about this average-sized defenceman with average speed and average shot – except for one amazing statistic: No opposing player has ever set up a screen or collected a rebound when Van Camp’s been on the ice. What sets apart the pudgy, mild-mannered blueliner from other rearguards – in fact, all players, usually by a distance of 20 feet – is his irritable bowel syndrome.
    “He may not be in shape but he never gets winded – it’s the other guys who do,” said one scout.
    One strike against Van Camp is that he’s not good in the room. Or on the bus. In the elevator. At the table.

Clark Kent – This magnificently built athlete came out of nowhere and stunned everyone with his extraordinary abilities. Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, Kent took the Western Hockey League by storm the first half of the season, scoring at will.
    But then the surefire No. 1 draft pick stumbled badly in the second half and became a shadow of himself. Some say it was because he met a dark-haired girl and lost his way. Others say his game began to suffer when he started showing more interest in matters away from the rink – “all he ever talked about was ‘a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way,’” said a teammate, rolling his eyes.
    One blogger suggested it was the Kryptonite-scented Irish Spring soap the team began using supplied by one of its sponsors, LexCorp.

Sue Silverstein – Silverstein’s parents did him no favours naming him Sue – unless their plan was to have a son grow up to be one of the meanest juniors in the country. Nicknamed ‘Sir” by his coaches, teammates, teachers and probation officers, Silverstein is a plodding defenceman who, against all odds, has never been beaten to a puck in the corner. Easily riled, he once tipped over a Zamboni that was slow getting off the ice.

Todd Mesmer – The slightly built centre could become the first Svengalian ever to play in the National Hockey League. A marvelous playmaker who hypnotizes defenders with his adroit stickhandling, Mesmer is especially adept at winning faceoffs, with opposing centres often suddenly behaving as if they were a chicken. Incredibly, scouts say teams likely will stay clear of drafting Mesmer because they fear what the outcome of contract negotiations could be.

— “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

58. Wintercount says:

If the USGA could get their shite together for Merian last weekend, why not the NHL?
    In the last game Keith had the open net and the puck would not sit for him, it rolled/bounced off to the corner. The ice was awful, the high humidity was to blame they said. The ice guru Craig arrived, hit the button for the cold air fans, and presto “La Glace” is good tonight.
    Do you think the Bruins knew about the button?
    Has anything really changed since super Mario said, and I quote, “C’est une vrai ligue de garage.”…..

Haha, Hrudey shows up PJ and his usual idiot analysis. PJ needs to just shut up.

In other sporting news the Jays win another game. The combination of Cecil, Delabar and Jansen is proving to be quite a bullpen.

• krob1000 says:

nice to see little things going well…..like at the end…2 strikes, 2 out, base hit….then at 3 and 0…inside strike, then the really close one…ball inside and 6 inches at least inside…batter leaves for walk early (could have brought tying run to plate and dh)…instead…strike. This is the type of thing that had been going against them all year…..batters would get in tough counts on horrific calls, pitchers would not get the corners, etc….life has a funny way of evening out…I think th4e Jays are the Jerry Seinfelds of ball….things just always work out evenly for them.

61. The Dude says:

One of the best Finals, awesome hockey!

62. SmartDog says:

Most Boston goals in this series come from poor Chicago clearing attempts. Four of the last five I think. Chicago needs to stop giving away the puck.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!