Avalanche names Roy as new head coach

Patrick Roy will be behind the bench next season, but not with the Québec Remparts.

The Hall of Fame goaltender is returning to the National Hockey League as head coach of the Colorado Avalanche, the team he helped lead to two Stanley Cup victories after being traded by the Canadiens.

The Avalanche announced late Thursday afternoon that it had reached an agreement in principle with Roy, who was also named the team’s vice-president of hockey operations.

“This is an unbelievable day for me,” Roy said in the team’s statement announcing his appointment.

“It’s a new and exciting challenge that I am really looking forward to. I would like to thank (owner) Stan and Josh  (team governor) Kroenke for this opportunity as well as Joe Sakic for the trust they are putting in me. Almost 10 years to the day that I announced my retirement as a player I am back in Denver and hope the fans are as excited as I am.”

The team said Roy will also work with Sakic, his former teammate who is now the Avalanche’s executive vice-president of hockey operations, on player personnel decisions.

“All along Patrick was our top candidate and we are thrilled that he has decided to accept this offer,” Sakic said in the statement.

“Patrick has a great hockey mind, is a tremendous coach and there is no one more passionate about this game. He will bring that winning attitude to our dressing room to help this young team grow.”

The Avalanche plans to hold a news conference with Roy next week in Denver.

Roy is part owner of the Remparts  in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and has served as the team’s coach and general manager. The Remparts won the Memorial Cup in 2006 during Roy’s tenure as coach.

At this year’s MasterCard Memorial Cup underway in Saskatoon, Canadiens prospect Dalton Thrower has been suspended for the remainder of the tournament. Thrower, a defenceman with the Saskatoon Blades, was suspended for a check to the head on Taylor Leier, a forward with the Portland Winterhawks, when the two teams faced off Wednesday night.

Roy named head coach of Avalanche, montrealgazette.com

Roy brings his temper and his talents to Colorado, by Stu Cowan

(Gazette file photo)

1. habstrinifan says:

I can’t allow myself to think about our 86 CUP! Think I’ll start to cry! To me it was the last great HABS team. I dont agree with Perron. He had more offense than he described.

Look at Claude Lemieux goals total. And Robinson was so special.

I wish we never lost some of those player sto other teams.. Lemieux, Richer, etc.

I better stop.

2. Sportfan says:

Anyone else surprised by Alfies comments?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Clay says:

Alfie deserves some leeway. He is a classy player who’s had a hall of fame career, and he may have played his last game at home. I don’t blame him one bit for doing what he did. His explanation wasn’t great, but there is no need to make this into something it isn’t.

__________________________
      ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

3. Sportfan says:

@Timo lol I like what you said about the D but at least Quintal was 6’3 :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

4. Sportfan says:

Newest blog is up! Not hockey related but anyone growing up in the 90’s will enjoy it… I hope!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

5. Habitant in Surrey says:

…great reading Your profiles of draft eligible players, especially a bumper crop from the Q with size and skill

…this is a very important summer for Our Team

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

6. frontenac1 says:

Huh? 3D Replicas of people made at home? Hey, I would…..no better not. Too early to get modded. Off to the Saloon for the Friday Board Meeting. Saludos!

7. Steven says:

A question for those of you who are perhaps more immersed in the draft prospects than I am…

From what I’ve read of Gauthier, he seems like an enticing prospect, but why would we pick him when we already have what looks like our #1 and #2 centers in Galchenyuk and Eller, along with Plekanec as a 3rd? I know there’s always the notion of picking the best player, but wouldn’t someone like Mantha be better, since we do have a need for big wingers?

• Timo says:

We can always make him play D. Or goal.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Gauthier would be ready to make his mark 3 or 4 years down the road, right around the time the Plekanec contract ends. By that time Galchenyuk will be our #1 center and Eller our #2.

• Steven says:

Oh, I guess that makes sense. His skillset seems above a 3rd liner, though. I guess that’s more of a good thing than anything, though :P

• Hobie Hansen says:

Well, as we’re seeing with Eller right now, Gauthier might spend a few years on that 3rd line after he makes the NHL…

• Luke says:

Though from Hobie’s round up below… as a centre he has issues with faceoffs, foot speed and sustaining physicality… not sure if a guy those three against him would intrigue me too much.
          Maybe if he was a great physical skater who blew on faceoffs, or a poor skater, but great in the dot and played physical.

I also know nothing else except what Hobie posted… and the name is Francais… but if that counts, I definitely want that Laurent Dauphin fellow commandant posted about!

With that name he could have played for the Habs in the 1920s!

• Clay says:

Steven, it makes sense if you look at drafts as assets, and not necessarily future players for your team. You draft the best player available, and then you can trade him in the future to fill a need.

__________________________

Just watched the Patrick Roy video. I want very bad things to happen to Mario Trembley and Rejean Houle.

And boy, what a stellar defensive group Habs had back then – Racine, Quintal, Popovic. This can only be rivaled by Drewiske, Diaz, and Weber.

9. Hobie Hansen says:

Hobie’s hopefuls in the draft:

Kerby Rychel
    Warren Rychel’s son is as tough as nails, a ready and willing combatant, and a grit player. He has good hands for a guy whose bread & butter is down low, where his tenacious forecheck can disrupt and cause havoc in the cycle. His skating needs work, but he moves with agility and strength, and poses problems on every shift with his physicality, playmaking abilities, and puck control. Plays in every situation and even takes the odd face-off. He scored 41 goals in 2011-12, and no matter how you break down his lack of elite skills, or his average size, he is a player that just scores with hard work.

Frédérik Gauthier
    The big center was going to be counted on for his defensive prowess and size, but has shown surprising offensive abilities early on in his rookie campaign with the “Q.” He needs work in the face-off circle, with his footwork and sustaining physicality, but his scoring ability and the projected potential in all other areas has to get him first round consideration early on. He was selected to the roster for the World Junior Under-18 Tournament in April.

Anthony Mantha
    Tall left winger with physicality and scoring prowess, as well as willingness to stick up for his teammates. A physical presence in the Q that has elevated himself into the first round by playing well in each outing. He missed the cut-off to the 2012 draft by one-day, and in 2011-12 has a respectable 22 goals and 51 points in the QMJHL. Increased that to reach the 50 goal plateau his last season.

10. Habitant in Surrey says:

Ian and I are hopeful the Montreal Canadiens may currently be considering to retire Toe Blake’s number 6 and add His banner in the rafters next to Our other former Greats.

Besides being Our Coach from 1955 to 1968, winning 8 Stanley Cups in 13 years, Toe Blake was as well associated with Our Habs for a total of 33 years.

As a player Toe won an NHL scoring championship, the Hart Trophy, a Lady Byng, and led Our Habs in scoring in 6 seasons of His Hall Of Fame playing career. 8 of those years as Our Captain.

Toe played left wing with The Rocket and Elmer Lach on ‘The Punch Line’ which was the most feared scoring line of it’s day. Toe was Captain of Our Team His last 8 seasons as a player, while leading the Habs as a player to 2 Stanley Cups.

Later, Hector Toe Blake was the genius Coach of the Montreal Canadiens at the cusp of Our Golden Era. The Golden Era which most of Us of a certain generation were inspired to follow Our Habs as if it was ‘a religion’ unto It’s own.

Toe Blake’s name is on 11 rings total of the Stanley Cup; 8 as Our Coach, 2 as a Player for the Montreal Canadiens and one as a Montreal Maroon.

Toe Blake was the heart, soul and conscience of the Montreal Canadiens of that era whom inspired and ‘showed the way’ to Our great Players of the time, both as a Player and as Our Coach.

His Legacy has been and still is greatly taken for granted, I strongly believe, by the fact Toe Blake’s number 6 is not represented yet in the rafters of the Bell Centre.

The recognition of the totality of Toe Blake’s legacy, as a Player and Our Coach, to the History and exceptional success of the Montreal Canadiens as the most famous brand and aura in the hockey world is way past the overdue stage.

I wish to request all Montreal Canadiens Fans to join with Ian Cobb and I to right a wrong.

Ian and I would appreciate if Our great Fans would support Our goal to convince the Montreal Canadiens that a banner honoring Toe Blake be added in the rafters of the Bell Centre to hang next to Maurice’s, Elmer’s and Our other immortals.

We hope that if the Montreal Canadiens agree with Us, that this can be done to coordinate with HIO’s 2013 Fan Summit in October or November.

We would appreciate HIO members that agree Toe Blake should be honored in the Bell Centre to take a few moments from their days and write their own personal testimonial on the subject to the following:

Geoff Molson: President

Kevin Gilmore: VP Operations

Address:

[Name of person]
    c/o The Montreal Canadiens
    1909, avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal
    Montreal, QC, CANADA
    H3C 5L2

Sincere thanks for Your support. :)

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

11. formerly known as the hc says:

With a name like Magnus Nygren, Ya woulda thunk he’d be bigger than 6’1″ and a ‘buck 92.

12. Mattyleg says:

Hey ho everyone,

Have to give it to HI/O, they really put a lot of thought into that poll question. Especially the Yes/No aspect.

“Would you like to see Roy as coach of the Canadiens, Yes or No?”

Well, it depends on how he…”Would you like to see Roy as coach of the Canadiens, Yes or No?”

If the Avalanche…”Would you like to see Roy as coach of the Canadiens, Yes or No?”

Nobody wants a…”Would you like to see Roy as coach of the Canadiens, Yes or No?”

No comment.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

13. mksness says:

Hope the pens finish up tonight. i don’t know about everyone here but the lack of penalty calls and then the phantom calls is really getting annoying and making the playoffs somewhat boring.

I mean it seems to be okay to rough up toews with no calls for the whole entire series lol.

This whole idea of let the players decide the fate of the games without penalties is a joke. It’s basically giving the advantage to the team that wants to push the line of physicality.

On another note where does montreal finish next year? those screaming for big changes are in for a surprise because i don’t think they’ll do all that much in terms of FA and trades

• Timo says:

I think Habs need another Drewiske trade.

• Habilis says:

I’m with you. I have never understood the reasoning behind the whole “put the whistles away for the playoffs” deal.

You call the game on way all season, then you change everything once the playoffs start. How does that make any sense? Someone (I can’t recall who) on twitter made a great analogy; It’s like changing the size of the strike zone once the baseball playoffs start.

I get the idea behind it, letting the players decide the game as you pointed out. But you’re 100% right, it just ends up being the group of players who learn how to walk closest to the imaginary line.

I also agree about your opinion of the Habs’ off-season plans. I think that if we do get any vets through FA or trade, they will be depth guys, not impact players.

The one move I could see MB making is a draft day deal or two in order to move up and get a coveted player. Freddy Gauthier maybe? That’s more me hoping than anything though. ;)

• johnnylarue says:

I’d also be surprised to see MB make a bold UFA signing this summer, but I would be less surprised to see him pull off a significant trade. Case in point: no one saw the Cole/Ryder trade coming. So I certainly wouldn’t rule anything out…

• Habilis says:

Yeah that’s true. Plus this off-season is a different animal of sorts because of the declining cap. That could contribute to more movement than usual.

One thing is for sure: Even with one buyout left, the Habs don’t have a ton of cap room. Any kind of impact player coming in will almost have to involve a trade of some kind.

The one thing I don’t want to see is us signing one of the buyouts like Brad Richards or Danny Briere. I get that they’d probably be cheap, but I just don’t think that either of them would add anything to the club.

• johnnylarue says:

MB wasted no time at all in buying out Gomez, so I’d be extremely surprised to see him take a gamble on another cap-eating albatross contract. Not his style.

• johnnylarue says:

I agree with you regarding the looseness of the officiating–I think it’s unnecessary and irresponsible–but at least the same ‘lawlessness’ applies to everyone. So if Toews and the Hawks are mad about non-calls, they’ve had several games to adjust accordingly and they haven’t.

If it were up to me, a skilled, elite team like Chicago would not suddenly find itself at a disadvantage due to an overnight change in the way the game is officiated in the playoffs. But it ain’t up to me.

That said:

1. I thought that game last night was incredibly fun to watch. Detroit and Chicago can both skate like it’s nobody’s business. Great goaltending at both ends. Lots of hitting–some of it legal, even! Great playoff hockey all around.

2. Credit where it’s due: Detroit is loaded with crusty veterans who understand how to win tight hockey games. You’ll be hard-pressed to find any passengers on that team, which is not something you can say for Chicago. (Patrick Kane comes to mind.)

• B says:

Montreal should make the playoffs next season, but will be in tough to win the division again, especially under the new alignment. Winning the division this season was fun but unexpected and ahead of schedule.

The team is still in transition and it won’t be done properly overnight. Bergevin will continue to evolve the team as the opportunities present themselves. Some bumps in the road are inevitable, but I expect the majority of his moves to pay off in the long run. The Habs should become a harder team to play against as they evolve.

–Go Habs Go!–

14. NTTIAWWT says:

This once interesting comments on this hockey blog have become nothing but constant redirects to outside websites and shameless self-marketing.

15. @fronteac1

Here was my motto for the season. “A Season to Remember”
    Basically here’s the story.

When I played in Bantam AAA, and Midget AAA (mid 86-89), I had two amazing coaches who treated me like I was a man and not a child and they taught me every aspect of hockey they knew and were good men/coaches. But not just hockey, they taught us respect on and off ice, plus we played in front of hundreds and sometimes thousands fans, was the most incredible feeling ever!

SO I wanted this season for the kids on my team to remember me for the rest of their lives and to pay in front of a large fan base.. But it was house league, and they weren’t going to get the same things as the AA and AAA players.

I treated the season as if they were in the NHL. I created a web site on facebook (some members here saw every single day what I was doing) as a starter. I did pre and post game reports as if they were newspaper articles. I made them locker room stall nameplates, hockey cards, posters to give them that special treatment. I treated each kid no matter how good or bad they were as if they were the best player on the ice and I taught them how hitting can win a game and lose a game.

I wrote each player a profile that they could follow online and we had each kid be Captain and alternates for at least one game.
    Then to top it all off as a season finale I hosted a big game in the Westman Place. I called it “Be A Pro”, and labeled it concussion awareness night.

I spent Jan-Mar promoting it and trying to get hundreds of fans to show up. I acted as the host and gave out prizes all evening, and I played memory games with prizes for the 50 kids that showed up. I taught them about what post-concussion syndrome, and what it did to me, and how I got them (hit from behind, and then years later how I hit someone in the chest and my concussions returned).

During the game I had the fans chanting for both teams and the players from both teams were Blown Away! It was loud and it was as I was told later “the best night ever”.

There is much more but I just can’t type it all out.

Next season I have even bigger plans, and can’t wait. House League, teach the game and have fun, that’s me.

(violin playing) I’ve seen so much crap in my life, I just want kids I can influence to not have to ever go through what I have. In house league there is no sense in it. They just want to play!
    The End :)

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31

• frontenac1 says:

That”s great stuff Shane.Like I said ,those are lucky kids to have someone like you and you are lucky to have them. Hey,one day I will tell you some stories of the Midget teams I coached. They are hilarious, but would not last 10 seconds on this site. You know my relationship with the Mods. Saludos Amigo!

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

@sholi2000.com

Shane, here is a link that may help you with Your business

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• lol, I am seeing a company in Ontario this summer about 3D scanning and printing. Get out of my head! :lol:

I want a portable scanner so I can scan the facial recognitions and have an exact replica of the kid. It’s going to be big! I am doing well now, and can’t imagine with this technology where I will be in the near future.

You can ask Stu Cowan, he saw first hand the reaction my customers have when they receive my product and personally I need that for self healing.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 00029.31

17. Sportfan says:

I feel like this is old news by this point.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Mattyleg says:

For more up-to-date news, please click on the ‘You Might Also Like’ link, and learn that the near-indestructible Pacioretty is skating with Subban.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

18. commandant says:

A look at what Home Ice Advantage has meant in the playoffs this year. Is it becoming a real advantage again, after years of road teams winning a ton of big games?

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

19. Bill says:

Shane, I volunteer with kids in a different capacity – theatre program – and you’re right, it is one of the most rewarding things you can do. Keep doing what you’re doing and don’t let the idiots get you down. Smile and wave, like you say!

20. Bill says:

@Old Bald Bird, I dunno if Nygren is coming over, but if he does, he will have to get a new nickname, ahaha.

21. Old Bald Bird says:

Has this been posted? Apparently Magnus Nygren will play in North America.

What do people have against Detroit? As far as I am concerned they have been a model of consistency (in a good way, not the Habs way) since like mid 90’s. That is the team that haven’t drafted high in 2 decades and yet keeps putting a competitive team with a chance to go all the way year after year.

• Luke says:

Who has something against Detroit? Around here poeple have been generally positive to glowing when talking baout Detroit…

The City is a hole.

They need RoboCop and soon.

• HardHabits says:

Most people here use Detroit as the model to follow as opposed to the Pittsburgh/Chicago method, excepting a certain acceptable and occasional Tank™ ever now and again.

The Boston method is quite good too:

Sign an elite player (Zdeno Chara), Build team around said signing
      Draft well (Brad Marchand, David Krejci, Patrice Bergeron, Milan Lucic)
      Trade well (Nathan Horton for Dennis Wideman, Rich Peverley for Mark Stuart and Blake Wheeler, Daniel Paille for future considerations)
      Don’t match offer sheet (Tyler Seguin, Dougie Hamilton)

• 24 Cups says:

The Good News – If Detroit beats Chicago they advance to the final four and Montreal moves up to 24th in the draft.

The Bad News – Detroit tumbles all the way in the draft from 17th to 27th (or lower).

• ont fan says:

They haven’t drafted high but were fortunate to have great European scouting that has made this team what it is for 20 years. Russians and Swedes were the core. Those days are coming to an end. There aren’t to many surprises anymore. Like the Habs of the ’70’s with Pollock every thing changes sooner or later. The red Wings will go as long as Datzyuk and Zetterberg go.

23. Luke says:

What’s nice about the Roy story is that he is starting his pro career as a coach in Denver. That means a French speaking coach will become available in three to five years that has NHL experience and hasn’t been fired by the Habs yet.

What concerns me, is the VP Hockey OPs part. Not sure I’ve ever heard of a coach getting that kind of title along with the coach duties (since the coach/GM days are done with).
    Without any reason for to think this way, it seems like a power issue on the surface. Weird.
    I also like that he put the time in, coaching for 8 years (?) in the Q.

24. Bill says:

Shane, every hockey parent has witnessed the kind of things you describe, and it’s so needless and dumb.

Must be remembered that the vast majority of parents are sane, and actually every coach my kid has ever had has been absolutely fantastic. It’s too bad a few idiots can spoil things, because Canadian hockey is full of tremendous volunteers such as yourself.

• It was my first year coaching minor hockey and I never learned so much about people in one season in all my life, but man it was so much fun teaching kids what you know. I really loved it, and can’t wait for Bantam next year.

Living through their kids and thinking they are gonna play in the NHL.

As for volunteer coaches, of the 70 coaches I saw this season, only these two were above and beyond horrible.

Smile and Wave!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 00029.31

25. Bill says:

Timo, affirmative, Therrien still coach. Check again tomorrow, haha.

Is Therrien still the coach?

27. @habs-fan-84 Thanks for the kind words.

A four page report was written about this one team. Every single team had an issue with them on and off ice (parents and kids), and teams that had them invited to tournaments in other towns had problem with them.

I knew it was ugly when three of the nice parents emailed me and thanked me for being a great coach (after I won the award). It was not a fun season for some of those kids on that one team.

Teach the Game and Have fun! That’s House League.

All started with poor volunteer coaches who had no business coaching.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31

• habs-fan-84 says:

Cheers Shane, all the best next year!

• frontenac1 says:

Shane, I coached for 7 years from pee wee to midget in a pretty rough rural league and came across some pretty poor behaviour by parents but nothing like that. You are doing great work for those kids that they will remember you for all their lives. They are very lucky to have you there. Keep up the good work. All the best amigo!

28. Kooch7800 says:

After Watching most of the LA’s playoffs I couldn’t imagine the habs playing them in the playoffs right now…..we would have so many injuries it wouldn’t be funny.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• bwoar says:

We’d be swept in 3.

“thoroughbred”

• kalevine says:

did u see the way Detroit was punishing CHicago’s D, especially Roseval and Oduya (sp?). And Detroit is known as a finesse team. That should be the model for the Habs. they can be tough and punishing and still be known as a skill team

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t think Detroit will get by LA. In saying that I didn’t think they could beat the ducks or chi town….

If Detroit beats LA I will be shocked and will be cheering for them for the cup

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• kalevine says:

I just hope they don’t come down to earth in time to lose to the Bruins if both get that far. I think Jimmy HOward has to get a lot of credit for making the key saves when needed

• frontenac1 says:

Just caught the third period but that was a close ,wide open game with lots of chances until near the end. Chicago came close but Babcock is one hell of a coach too eh?

• Kooch7800 says:

no doubt LOL

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

29. frontenac1 says:

Helmets? Got my first hockey helmet way back in my first year Bantam. It was this bogus little felt thing and it got the job done. no injuries. Had much better equipment when I played high school football but those hits I took back then keep coming back as I get older(knees,shoulder). The booze helps with that. Saludos amigos!

30. Hobie Hansen says:

I hope Detroit doesn’t make it through to the finals. I don’t think they will because L.A. has one of the better goaltenders in the league in net and it only begins there.

I would absolutely love to see Boston and L.A. go at it in the finals. Now that would be a true battle of the gladiators and most likely one of the more intense finals in league history.

I’d like to see some of those big forwards on the Kings really get in the kitchen of Chara, McQuaid and company.

• Kooch7800 says:

LA just punishes teams. They haven’t even played that well and they are still on top. I think they win the cup again this year.

The Kings will expose Boston’s D this year.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

31. Thanks for civilized discussion on hockey everyone. I need to get back to work. I could talk about this all day! I have 6 weeks to fill my orders until I eat Lobster in PEI and fish salmon in BC ( I hope I can, not sure about the law there).

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31

32. kalevine says:

I think the boo-ins just took their foot off the gas a bit last night when they were up 2-0 and seemed headed for an easy sweep. They could afford it. Still, although I took no particular pleasure in Rask’s misfortune on the first goal, the gaffe on the second by Chara was pure gold. I hope the Rangers can drag this out a bit longer but I can’t see this Bruins team repeating their 2010 choke.

And I watched most of the Wings-Hawks game, the speed of which makes the eastern games seem like they are being played in slow motion.

33. habs-fan-84 says:

Good for the Rangers last night!
    Was quite happy for them.

Lundqvist is simply incredible (I know that’s obvious) but wow he is one special athlete.

34. I completely blame two things for concussions.

1. The equipment.

2. Poor coaching. The first thing a coach says when they start losing is go kill something. Instead of studying why they are losing and beat them with what he’s learned next time, they get upset and say things like go get number so and so, or hit him into the boards (from behind), hurt him, etc etc.

Coaches need to understand that this is House League (in my case). Right from Hockey Canada.

1. Teach the Game

2. Have fun!

Have Fun! There is nothing fun about having a kid who is just learning the game get thrown into next week by a kid who’s been playing since he’s 4, but has never made a rep team because he’s not good enough. Those kids are dangerous.

What’s worse are the parents in the stands applauding those hits. I always knew it was bad here (everywhere). Smile and wave I say, and find ways to beat those teams, and then Smile and Wave again! :)

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31

• habs-fan-84 says:

It’s disturbing listening to the parents in the stands.

• Every time I hear a parent cheer on their kid hitting another kid with less skill I get upset inside. Then instead of getting even I have our kids win, and we sign OLe Ole Ole on the bench. We would never sing when the score was getting out of control, but as soon as I saw a kid from the other team take a run at one of us I would have our kids sing, then that would usually fire up the other team into doing something stupid and we would score again and again.

I had a lot of problems with the first place team all season because one. They had poor coaches who taught violent hits. Two the parents were horrible in the stands and those parent’s kids were a direct reflection of themselves.

We knocked the first place team out of the playoffs, and I made sure the coaches knew why. It’s House League, not the NHL!

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Summit Member 00029.31

• bwoar says:

You teach the kids to sing “Ole Ole”? Hang your head in shame.

“thoroughbred”

• It’s a fun song, and the kids/parents love it!

Hang your head if you can’t have fun with a song!

Shane Oliver
            Twitter @Sholi2000
            Custom Sports Figures
            Summit Member 00029.31

• Ron says:

Shane, sounds like you have trained your players to taunt the other teams you play with the chant. Is this why you had problems with fans etc of which you spoke of last week ?

• habs-fan-84 says:

Good stuff Shane!

• I would love to tell you everything. Text messages to my wife and I, my boy’s facebook attacked by the two bullies from the other team, a parent form the other team was caught trying to rig the 50/50 and how when I won an award the coaches never showed up form our division. All the above happened from one single team.

I suffer from depression (concussion linked), I couldn’t sleep all winter because it’s all I thought about. I couldn’t believe parents ( I thought I was friends with) could do that.

Smile and Wave….. it drives people crazy when they can’t upset me. (imagine trying to upset and ex Infantry Sgt, talk about poking a bear). :lol:

Shane Oliver
            Twitter @Sholi2000
            Custom Sports Figures
            Summit Member 00029.31

• habs-fan-84 says:

Sad stuff Shane. You’ve handled it like a champ.

Cheers,

• Curtis O Habs says:

A larger ice surface may help.

• Mustang says:

2000, unfortunately many Canadian parents think that their child is the next NHL star, yet to be discovered. Instead of the kids learning how to play the game, they are following instructions from their parents or some coaches (not all coaches fit here) and do exactly what you have described.

A few years ago, I went to watch a high school game between the local team and a visiting European high school team. The difference was unbelievable. During the warmup, I told my daughters that the Europeans were going to easily win the game, which turned out to be the actual result.

The European team warmed up by doing various high speed skating drills while a couple of the players warmed up the goalie. The Canadian boys did very little skating and spent most of their time taking slap shots at their goalie’s head. The game was no contest as the Europeans were far better skaters and easily out-classed the local opponents. Luckily the refs took a very tough stance to this “friendly” game and did not allow it to get out of hand. None the less, I could see the frustration beginning to build and I am sure that our boys would have been head hunting if not for the good refs.

Talk to many parents and their boy is a star. Go to watch a game and you see that half of the 10 and 12 year olds can’t even skate very well but they sure know how to hit.

• That is so true. Less than .01% from house league make it into the NHL and something like .10% from AA, and AAA make it into the NHL. The numbers are crazy. In the end almost all end up playing in adult safe hockey leagues.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Summit Member 00029.31

• Roy_s_WINK says:

I say let your bias of the European game be removed and see how far it will take you.

Canadians are the greatest hockey players who have ever existed. Period.

There are talented members from other nations who can play very well but don’t get it twisted:

We will always outskate, outhit & outscore our fellow humans from different countries.

35. Bash says:

There were concussions years ago but they were largely ignored…”got his bell rung” was a common phrase. Doctors were not as knowledgeable about this potentially debilitating injury.

Now the players are bigger, faster and wear hard plated armour. Throw in a good dose of “hit to hurt and intimidate” and you have a recipe for an emerging epidemic.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

36. Kooch7800 says:

No need to worry about the Thrower hit anymore people cause they are out of the tourney so he essentially got one game.

Thrower needs to come back and have a strong season next year so he can get his contract with the habs.

Dietz has done it already (didn’t have a great game last night though) and will be with the dogs next year.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Hobie Hansen says:

IMO, I’m sure Bergevin, Mellanby, Therrien, Dudly and the rest of the crew had no problem with the Thrower hit.

Nine times of of 10 that hit works out they way Thrower intended it to and the opposing player is more aware of his surroundings.

• Kooch7800 says:

I really don’t think they care about the hit either but they do care about Thrower playing better. He needs to take his game to the next level. Dietz did it this year and now he needs to as well. Hopefully Thrower will get traded to a contender in JR next year so he can get better and better. He was pretty invisible in the tourney other than the hit that got him suspended

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya I must admit that I have a list of our top 10 prospects but don’t often get to see them play. I’ve heard Thrower has been up and down with his play and has had a problem(s) off the ice this year.