Avalanche names Roy as new head coach

Patrick Roy will be behind the bench next season, but not with the Québec Remparts.

The Hall of Fame goaltender is returning to the National Hockey League as head coach of the Colorado Avalanche, the team he helped lead to two Stanley Cup victories after being traded by the Canadiens.

The Avalanche announced late Thursday afternoon that it had reached an agreement in principle with Roy, who was also named the team’s vice-president of hockey operations.

“This is an unbelievable day for me,” Roy said in the team’s statement announcing his appointment.

“It’s a new and exciting challenge that I am really looking forward to. I would like to thank (owner) Stan and Josh  (team governor) Kroenke for this opportunity as well as Joe Sakic for the trust they are putting in me. Almost 10 years to the day that I announced my retirement as a player I am back in Denver and hope the fans are as excited as I am.”

The team said Roy will also work with Sakic, his former teammate who is now the Avalanche’s executive vice-president of hockey operations, on player personnel decisions.

“All along Patrick was our top candidate and we are thrilled that he has decided to accept this offer,” Sakic said in the statement.

“Patrick has a great hockey mind, is a tremendous coach and there is no one more passionate about this game. He will bring that winning attitude to our dressing room to help this young team grow.”

The Avalanche plans to hold a news conference with Roy next week in Denver.

Roy is part owner of the Remparts  in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and has served as the team’s coach and general manager. The Remparts won the Memorial Cup in 2006 during Roy’s tenure as coach.

At this year’s MasterCard Memorial Cup underway in Saskatoon, Canadiens prospect Dalton Thrower has been suspended for the remainder of the tournament. Thrower, a defenceman with the Saskatoon Blades, was suspended for a check to the head on Taylor Leier, a forward with the Portland Winterhawks, when the two teams faced off Wednesday night.

Roy named head coach of Avalanche, montrealgazette.com

Roy brings his temper and his talents to Colorado, by Stu Cowan

(Gazette file photo)

1. OK I watched the Thower hit.

1. Leier was trying to control the puck and looked away as Thower came at him, that’s a no no. Leier has to know he’s going to get hit here, and he should have prepared himself to take the hit or avoid the hit.

2. Thower made no effort to hit the chest, that’s called self control and those type players are dangerous to hockey.

This hit is not as bad as the Eller hit who had no chance to defend himself.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31

• Price07 says:

Thrower could have had more self control but I wouldn’t say he made NO effort to hit the chest. As I’m sure you know since like me, you say you’ve played at pretty high levels, the game is fast and rough. Hockey players like several other athletes go to war and sometimes people are going to get hurt. Its unfortunate but then again no one if forcing you to play a contact sport or even contact hockey. There are definitely some idiots out there but sometimes your going to get hurt due to the sheer nature of the game, regardless of if an idiot hits you or a “clean” player.

The physicality of hockey is part of what makes it great. For people who are less into physicality there is soccer, basketball and baseball.

• Maritime Ron says:

Good Morning Shane

A question for you concerning your minor hockey post as I do not have any more contact once my son was done some 10-15 years ago.

When growing up in the 60s and playing minor hockey, we never even heard of the word concussion.
      The softer helmets we wore as kids are laughed at today.
      I also can’t remember anyone getting a head injury.
      Of course there were a lot of face cuts, lost teeth, bruises and broken bones, yet that was about the extent of it.

So the question is, exactly what changed that is causing so many concussions/head injuries in minor hockey today?
      Were there actually more back then, and were they misdiagnosed as was the case in the NHL?

• 1. The equipment.

2. Poor coaching.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Summit Member 00029.31

• 123456 says:

i am not a dr. but i believe back then a lot of concussions were diagnosed as “you got your bell rung”. your headache would go away in a day or two and you played again.

but more impartantly when you did get hit you were not getting hit my a piece of hard plastic or metal. the “pads” of today are like weapons. i still use my elbow pads from HS and college and they do not have any plastic in them – just layers of foam. if i used my elbow to hit someone in the head my elbow would be hurt.

now having said that i will add that the game is at least twice as fast as it used to be. watch highlights form even just 20 years ago… the game was much slower and the hits, while hard, were not as violent.

• commandant says:

People didn’t understand what concussions were, and how serious they were at the time.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Phil C says:

To add to the posters above, another change that had unintended consequences was bringing helmets to the game. When players didn’t wear helmets, I think it inherently caused the game to be more respectful. If you look at highlights from the 50s and 60s, you didn’t see as many violent hits as you see today. Add in better skates, harder equipment, and modern fitness techniques, and a tolerance for Rock’em Sock’em hockey, and the game has become dangerous.

Putting on a helmet gave a sense of invulnerability to players. While a helmet prevents catastrophic head injuries, we now know that they do little to prevent concussions. We also now know you can be concussed without losing consciousness, and that there are long term health issues associated with it. Even as little as 7 years ago, there was not the awareness about concussions that there is now.

I played minor hockey over 20 years ago. Looking back on it, I had several concussions that were never diagnosed. I remember wanting to hit like Wendel Clark (yes, I hate the leafs, but he was a tremendous hitter). I now look back on it and think how dangerous that was. I am lucky to not have more head issues now.

• Phil C says:

1. I don’t think Leier was unaware of Thrower, he tried to cut to the inside on Thrower and he almost succeeded, it wasn’t a random cut to the middle, he saw Thrower over-commit and tried to exploit the poor defensive play. You have to assume that your opponent won’t take your head off. I’m not a big fan of blaming the victim.

• You see there we have it. Two people (you and I) see it differently.

I saw Leier come down, and as soon as Thower changed direction in that exact moment, Leier looked away for that split second, and got nailed. Had he looked at Thower the entire way he would have avoided the hit.

But Thower did not control his hit. He is at fault for the high hit.

Had he given him a hip check, we wouldn’t be talking here.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Summit Member 00029.31

2. Price07 says:

I love Dalton Thrower…finally the habs have someone who will dish out the pain instead of always being the ones to take it. Not saying I want anyone to get hurt, but hockey is rough and you have to play rough or at least have certain guys who can. The habs never have anyone to really keep the other team on their heels.

3. Ian you know how hard I am working on Hockey Canada to make all house league hockey No Contact, right? Two weeks ago I was discussing it with a facebook friend of mine who is completely against the idea, and I was using Eller as an example. My FB pal was going on and on how kids were going to get lost in my no hit program, and we (oh crap concussion moment, what is it called when two people discuss different opinions on right and wrong) debated (there we go). In the end my FB said “I used to throw hits like that all the time” my reply, “and you are the type of player we are getting rid of”. He didn’t talk hockey with me until the other night.

People who support these types of hit have no idea what it’s like to recover from those hits. Maybe Gryba will be a better player because of his hit from (was it?) Orpik.

I took a Peewee house league team with two girls on defense, and all in all just a good bunch of kids. I taught them how to hit, take a hit and avoid a hit, and I coached them so that they could beat team without violence. I drove the other coaches crazy with my style of play because they couldn’t throw big checks. They got so upset with us that they in the end would try and run players, in turn giving us PP, and we scored! :) (2nd in the city championships, and third in Provincials)

I know hitting is a part of hockey, I was a wreaking machine, but what did all that get me in the end? An unwanted early retirement. I know it has given me my business and life is good but those who know me know what concussions can do to a person. What ever goes on there leads to some awful thoughts that a normal brain doesn’t think.

3 kids last season could not play house league hockey because they have had concussions. That’s three too many!

We can all take hits, but what we can’t take is that unsettle child who thinks it’s ok to slam a from behind into the boards. No one can stop those kids. So remove the obvious!

And with that time for another email to the Hockey Canada AGM.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31

4. derfab says:

That Thrower hit is a clean check that he has to make in that situation. Clearly, this is not a cheap shot, not a penalty and not the part of the game that needs fixing. Officiating that purports to eliminate this kind of play but that tolerates slew-footing, cross checks to the spine and the kind of relentless jab and grab, facewash nonsense that “agitators” engage in is the problem that is not being dealt with in any substantial way.

• habs-fan-84 says:

“That Thrower hit is a clean check that he has to make in that situation.”

Was it clean in the traditional sense? Yes, at the time of the hit the opposing player had the puck so it was not interference.

Was there contact to the head? Yes, as a result this is a suspendable offense.

I do not know what is hard to understand here?

This check COULD have been perfectly clean had Thrower thrown a BODY check. Thrower should have been in a more “crouched” position and went shoulder to shoulder or shoulder to body. As you can see Thrower is not in a “crouched” position; in fact he lifts himself up into the opposing players head with his shoulder; therefore the hit is not clean as you suggest.

From the OHL rulebook:

a hit to the head with the shoulder shall be considered an illegal check and shall be penalized as checking to the head

• commandant says:

People have to realize that the rulebook has changed.

What was clean ten years ago is not clean today.

With all we have learned about concussions, and all the science that is out there on brain injuries, the hits that contact the head are being taking out of the game.

This doesn’t mean all hitting is being removed (as those who oppose the move try to argue, and is a complete red herring), just that hits need to be focused on BODY checking and not head hunting.

The NFL is making similar rules, and they don’t seem to be playing touch football.

Yes, you can’t eliminate 100% of concussions, but if you can reduce the number, why wouldn’t you?

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• oldandslo says:

The critical factor is time. Since the opposing player went outside/inside Thrower was left with milliseconds to decide how to hit and adjust his body accordingly. I am against all hits to the head just like I am against all high-sticking but we all realize that sometimes it’s an unavoidable accident. He should be punished nevertheless in order to assure that all players take responsibility for the hits they make. However, this type of hit is circumstantial and all defence men (even Lady Byng candidates) will occasionally infringe.

5. habs-fan-84 says:

Dalton Thrower = Justified suspension
    Eric Gryba = Justified suspension
    Pacioretty on Letang = Justified suspension

Shoulder to the head = Suspension

End of story.

6. Danno says:

Dennis Kane and his Excellent Habs Blog is moving to Montreal

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

7. Habfan10912 says:

Things you may also like: 15 awesome pictures of Derek Jeter’s girlfriend.

Timo, You up?

As I stated last night, I love how Hab fans rationalize the Thrower head shot because he’s one of our own. This is why we can’t clean up the game.

Do the Rangers play Richards now that they won last night’s game? If not, you know the amnesty buyout is on for sure (1.7M for 14 years). I wonder if the laffs will be interested. Let’s get real here, isn’t it time for Glen Sather to walk the plank?

So Patrick Roy is the head coach AND the vice-president of hockey operations. That’s a new one on me. You’ve gotta be a bit pissed if you’re the GM.

Jonathan Toews is one of the young elite players in the game. However, he’s lost his composure in this year’s playoffs. He also tends to be a cheap shot artist at times. He just turned 25 so maybe it’s time to have a chat with Stan Mikita.

So I take it that Mike Babcock will coach Canada’s Olympic team. He’s pulling off a minor miracle in Detroit this spring.

Brendan Gallagher played for the Giants for four years yet the Canucks couldn’t see to even use a 4th rounder to take a gamble on this kid. Kind of ironic seeing that Vancouver chose 5’8″ Jordan Schroeder 22nd overall the year before.

• Lafleurguy says:

Nice recall of Stan Mikita. Morph’d from high penalty minutes to Lady Byng.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Steve. Lots to agree about with your post.
      1. Any hit where primary contact is the head = suspension. No debate. Just like a high stick does not need to be intentional (must be in control of your stick at all times) the same should hold true with hits to the head.
      2. Richards done for the season. NY’s amnesty buyout #2 unless Sather can convince Gainey into offering his best prospect in a trade. (just kidding)
      3. Maybe the Avs GM is a Cap specialist?
      4. Are the Blackhawks this years version of the Sharks?
      5. Detroit is just a phenomenal hockey organization.
      6. I’m still upset that Gallagher didn’t make the Habs last season. I remember Coach Bowel Movement poo pooing his training camp saying he looked good because of the competition he was playing against. I real confidence builder for the kid.

• 123456 says:

thank you for your first comment – for years i have bene an adovacte of any head contact is penalized. why must you control your stick and not hit a guy in the head with it but you do not have to control your shoulder? thrower hit to me was not an attempt to injure – just an attempt to hit hard and he hit too high… couple games. i do havfe an issue with the ref watchign the play and NOT calling a penalty immediately

torts must be the best coach ever – he sits a superstar and his teams wins. i nominate him for coacd of the decade.

i am not up on this stuff as must as some of you – but coach and VP operations while never coaching in the NHL…. seems odd

9. NL Hab says:

So with one more Chicago loss, it will be official that we will be picking 24th overall. So then we will have the 24th, 34th, 36th and 56th. Plus the 3rd round we will have the 71st and 84th pick.

6 picks in the Top 84. 3 in the Top 36. Very exciting times ahead for the Habs. This team is going to be a force in 3-5 years.

Et Le But

• Lafleurguy says:

Not yet feeling the excitement in store for 2016. Maybe in the fall.

• wjc says:

3 to 5 years is too pessimistic. The Canadiens are starting to be a force now, another year will make a big difference.

wjc

• 24 Cups says:

NL Hab – I’m all for having a rich stable of prospects. I’ve spent way too many years watching as the Habs applied band-aids and made Hail Mary transactions.

Having said that, there is only so much room for so many prospects to develop and take over spots in the Hab line-ups. Eventually some of those kids have to move on. At some point, they become tradable assets instead of prospects. With that in mind, I think the Habs can look at it two ways on June 30th. They can view this draft as a major opportunity to add four or maybe even five prospects to the talent pool. Or, if the chance arises, trade up in the draft for a specific player by utilizing one of their other prospects or picks.

• Maksimir says:

I wonder if Edm or Florida will look to take on players for their high picks.. I mean how many frigging blue chip prospects can you have until you need some experience to help them along.

10. Lafleurguy says:

Speaking of overtones, “Queen II” was my play it loud and play it often album of my youth.

“May you live in interesting times.”

11. Habfan10912 says:

This may be my Hab’s colored glasses talking here but Chara looked absolutely horrible last night. He lost so many puck battles I lost count. In addition he was just wonderful with that turnover in front of his own net that led to a Ranger goal. It made me smile.

• Maritime Ron says:

He did look a tiny step slower this year, yet he is also playing monster minutes – 29:36/game in the playoffs which is the most for any remaining DMan, and all are tough minutes including PK.

As for his performance, he has 11 points in 11 games (2nd only to Letang for Dmen) and is +6 (tied for 3rd in the playoffs for Dmen).
      He is also 2nd in hits behind only team mate Johny Boychuck who has really emerged this playoff.
      Johnny B. also leads all Dmen in blocked shots with 44.

• habstrinifan says:

Gotta agree with you. He seems to be skating a little too upright as if his back is hurting.

And yes that goal is for me the most beautiful goal in the playoffs. Cause it might make karma suck it to the B’s… and I think Chara owes for his Pacioretty thing… I dont wish him ill… just a bit of hockey bad luck.

Thrower threw a dirty hit to the head. The kid was out before he hit the ice!. Any contact to the head is a crime, not just a hockey penalty.
    He might be one of our future Hab’s, but he better learn that this type of garbage has to stay off the ice.

Those that love this kind of violence will always say it was a clean hit, but they do not know the game and have a lot to learn about sportsmanship and life!!

• Habfan10912 says:

Ian, I often share your thought on the senseless and reckless hits in our game today. While I agree that Thrower’s hit (primary contact to the head) was illegal, I don’t think it reaches anywhere near that of a crime.
      Players are going to have to learn to go for the midsection when checking an opponents. Huge, hard plastic pads, bigger stronger players, and a lack of respect by players, are causing too many injuries.
      When will it change? When money begins to be lost by the owners and revenues are significantly impacted. Owners don’t give a rats butt untill they feel it in the checkbook. in the meantime players continue to be injured and the game suffers.

• Lafleurguy says:

Mornin’….Junior Seau’s family. Different sport but similar tragic emotional overtones.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Guy. Yes, something like that type of tragedy. Wait, we have one. Boogaard’s family v NHL.

• Lafleurguy says:

About four years ago, when overaged junior Mike Liambis clobbered 16 year old Ben Fanelli of the Kitchener Rangers and concussed the youngster along with causing a skull fracture, there was outcry. Time passed. Same violent hits are occuring frequently. Incorrigible methinks.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Phil C says:

It will take a lawsuit. And they are coming. I hope they sue the NHL into oblivion.

• neumann103 says:

Ian

I understand your passion and agree with the effort to get dangerous hits to the head out of the game, but both disagree with the characterization of the hit as “dirty” and believe that it just clouds the issue.

There are a lot of dangerous suspendable hits that in the NHL would not have even been a 2 minute minor prior to Rule 48. Part of the point of a rule like that is the statement “even if the hit is ‘clean’ we have an interest in eliminating it from the game” and that supplemental discipline is appropriate.

In the same context it is important to support the notion that the officials did not “blow the call” on failing to call a 2 minute minor. It might not even deserve a 2 minute minor on the conventional rulebook, but still deserve a 3 game suspension after the fact.

We all saw the debate about Torres or Gryba and how it gets messed up on intent or “dirtiness”. Leagues from the CHL to the NHL have started to take action to try and change the culture to prevent these hits. The use case of “it was not even a 2 minute penalty, it does not have to be ‘dirty’, the referees did not err in not calling it as such, but you are suspended anyhow because we have to condition players to change the way they play” is an important one to reinforce and support.

Edit: Lars Eller is my second favourite current Hab and I felt gutted seeing him injured by Gryba, but even at the time felt that hit was not “dirty” but was reckless. That whole distraction prevents consensus required to eliminate such hits.

“Et le but!”

• wjc says:

All hitting is violence. To end the violence, you have to end body contact. It is hard to hit and not sometimes miscalculate. Thrower threw a body check, player had puck, hitting will have to be eliminated according to some.

Make this your ‘mantra’ eliminate hitting and therefore game becomes totally safe.

wjc

• commandant says:

Red herring… totally.

There will still be hitting, just not with the reckless abandon and headhunting that happens today.

And when you screw up it will be a penalty.

The players will learn and adjust.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Phil C says:

“All hitting is violence. To end the violence, you have to end body contact.”

All hitting uses force, but not all hitting is violent. Violence is the use of force that causes injury. There is your line. If you injure the player, it should be illegal. In fact, that is exactly how the charging and boarding penalties are described in the rule books, using the word “violently” to describe an illegal hit. They are are just not interpreted well by the NHL, IMO.

Emelin is a great example of hitting without violence. He hits hard, he usually knocks his opponent down, but the player almost always gets back up and stays in the game. If everyone hit like that, the game would still have lots of hitting.

I do think they have to eliminate all checking to the head. There is no way to safely hit someone in the head.

13. Maritime Ron says:

Question:
    Would the good folks here be patient enough if our Habs took one step backwards next year, to take 2 or 3 steps forward in 2014-15/16?

Case in point:
    Almost no one had our Habs as a playoff team this year.
    This playoff was truly an unexpected bonus for our Habs.
    Most likely we caught many teams off guard early with our new pressure style of play, and 2 great rookies in the Gallys.

We started hot with a record of 20-5-5, yet wilted going 9-9-0 in our last 18 games. 500 hockey does not make the post season.
    Along with losing our only bruising Dman, Carey went cold.

Next year, Winnipeg, a perennial non playoff team going nowhere, moves out of the Conference and Detroit and Columbus join in – A Columbus team that lost a tie breaker to make the playoffs in the West. They also have 3 First Round Draft picks this year.
    That’s 16 teams instead of the 15 teams of the past.

Our own Division will be brutal with Boston, a more healthy Ottawa, Detroit, an emerging Leafs…

Depending on what GM MB does in the next 4-5 months, we could find ourselves on the outside looking in. If our D remains status quo without replacing ‘strong’ Emelin – if we don’t get ‘stronger’ all around – and if Carey and Budaj don’t stand on their head most of the season, it may be a long one

The 3 top teams from each Conference make the playoffs + 2 wild cards

Division C*…………Division D*
    Boston ……………..Carolina
    Buffalo ………………Columbus
    Detroit ………………New Jersey
    Florida……………… New York Islanders
    Montreal…………….New York Rangers
    Ottawa……………… Philadelphia
    Tampa Bay…………. Pittsburgh
    Toronto……………….Washington

There are also teams we shouldn’t fluff off.

– Carolina had to play 19 games with their 3rd string goalie when both Ward and Ellis were injured. Before Ward went down, they were 12-8-1.
    – Philly. At 1 point in time, 4 of their Top 6 D were injured
    – Florida. Lead the NHL in man games lost to injury.
    – Tampa could re-emerge with a new coach and Ben Bishop as its goalie

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Ron. I am not sure about a lot of things but I am sure on this one. The majority of posters would NOT be patient with another non playoff season. In fact a few posters are in the Stanley Cup of bust camp.

• Maritime Ron says:

Good Morning Jim,
        If those same are paying attention and then watch the tough Final 4, they would notice just how far away we are from being a true and legitimate Cup contender.
        LA missed the playoffs for 6 straight years – then lost the Conference Quarter finals twice before winning the Cup.
        They are ridiculously strong everywhere.
        At this point in time and for at least a few more years, we could not compete with them in ‘playoff style’ hockey

• Habfan10912 says:

I am too much of a fan to admit we can’t compete with the big boys. :)
          Last season in hindsight was the best thing in the long run. People like HardHabits who advocated the tank were proven right.
          I do agree with you that Bergevin has some work to do. CHeers.

• wjc says:

Please explain ‘the tank’…losing on purpose, Players told to lose on purpose, management sitting key personal. Trading top players.

Would players go along with being told to lose, would fans pay to see teams deliberately lose. Not clear to me, what it entails.

wjc

• HardHabits says:

@wjc: stop with the losing on purpose narrative. It’s BS. It never happened and it never will happen.

I’ve explained this 100’s of times and yet people (yeah you punkster) still revert to the tired theme that I have been advocating throwing games, which is patently false.

• wjc says:

Go in with low expectations and be happy.

Go in with high expectations and perhaps be disappointed.

Better to be happy then sad. There is no way to predict what next season will bring. I prefer the cup is half full.

Young big defencemen on the way up could be a big answer to size issue.

Bournival, Lablanc could surprise.

Canadiens set in goal, rookies a year older, Emalin gives a rookie defenseman time to develop.

I see Canadiens 5 or 6, but then I am an optimists. Now you can say “no way, the will not make the playoffs” and we both have a shot at being right.

wjc

• Maritime Ron says:

Not at all saying “no way”, just pointing out that the degree of difficulty will increase next year.
        Here is also hoping GMMB stay on plan and doesn’t give away the farm to try and slide in the playoffs.
        I would be disappointed if the Habs didn’t make the playoffs, but would be OK if we moved in the right direction and not move draft choices or young ones for +30 year olds.

• JF says:

I think we’ll be battling all season to make the playoffs and probably miss out. In our division Boston, Ottawa, and Detroit are certain to make it. Toronto will be better, Tampa too if they have solid goaltending. Bergevin will not have much room to manoeuvre unless he can swing a trade, packaging Gorges or Desharnais for example, to land a solid defenceman. I’m OK with missing the playoffs next year provided the rebuild continues to go in the right direction. 2014-15, when a couple of contracts are off the books and more of our prospects start making an impact, should be the start of better things.

• Cal says:

It does look like the Habs will be hard pressed to improve, but it’s early days yet. MB needs to move players that can’t compete in the playoffs. Kaberle will be bought out, freeing up some cap room.
      My list:
      Weber – no room
      Diaz- can move the puck, but can’t hit- another team should need him
      DD- expect more of what we say after the contract was signed.
      Gionta- when the season goes down hill (and it probably will) he may want to go to a team seeking depth (he has a NTC)
      Pleks- like Gionta- when the season proves there will be no playoffs, teams will want him.
      Markov- same as Gio and Pleks
      Frankly, I don’t see the team doing all that well for the next couple seasons. Too many diminutive forwards and a D that doesn’t hit much or crease clear and a goalie that’s either all world or stinks. I expect a team that struggles to play .500 hockey. Any better would be a bonus.

• wjc says:

Only forward steps allowed, no need to go backwards. Team played to potential. Making it to the second or third round is the new goal.

Missing the playoffs is now unthinkable.

wjc

• WhatUp says:

i dont think most will be patient. watching many playoff games it is so obvious that the habs are years away from competing at the level of consistent 2nd / 3rd rounders. how many goals did the Sens score on the Habs and how many against the Pens. yes the Pens have way more offense but the Sens scored way too many on us.

i would say we are locked into may/may not make the playoffs with less than 50% chance of making past round 1 if we did – this for the next 2 -3 years…way too many issues to address (softness, D to be revamped, know if Price is the guy for the job (for him and the Habs)…)

14. ed says:

it’s amazing how much success can be had in hockey simply by out working your opponent.

forecheck hard, backcheck hard, first on the puck, win the battles on the boards, pay the price……and wins are the inevitable result.

building a hockey team is about evaluating talent, yes.

but building a WINNING hockey team is about evaluating character.

Detroit wins because every player on the team brings the hard working character to the ice and doesn’t stop working until the final buzzer sounds.

it seems so simple, really.

but it’s not.

• Maritime Ron says:

It will take more than 1 year for Bergevin and his staff to weed out those that don’t fit the character mode, then somehow try and beat 29 other GMs in finding those exact type of guys.

• wjc says:

Character will only take you so far, you need talent.

Character without talent is useless. Talent without character can still work. Detroit has talent and character, much the same thing Canadiens are trying to do.

A lot of players with perfect attitudes, drive and determination do not make it because the talent is missing. All the character in the world will not help if you are over matched.

wjc

15. gmur says:

What a clinic the Red Wings are putting on. Tough, skilled players who understand that you have to play within a system whether you’re Datsyuk or Ericsson. I’ve always loved Ericsson. What a hit he layed on Bryan Bickell last night. You don’t need goons to be tough. Give me an Orpik and Ericsson on defence tomorrow!

• Maritime Ron says:

They also have great stability both in Management and the coaching staff.

GM Ken Holland has been in his GM position for 16 years and was with the Red Wings in some capacity since the late 1980s.
      Coach Babcock is now in his 8th year, and Detroit has only had 3 full time coaches in the past 20 years. ( Barry Smith only coached 5 games)

• wjc says:

Canadiens now have this, stability in management and coaching staff. It is all forward from now on. Many pieces of the puzzle are in place already as far as players go.

wjc

16. Un Canadien errant says:

I was relying on a Kings or Hawks juggernaut in the Western Conference in case the Bruins slip by the Penguins in the next round. Detroit is not doing us any favours with their little games right now. I don’t want Cinderella trying to bar that door, I want Godzilla.

Darn you, you no good for nothing Leafs, you blew it. You’re no good for nothing!

• savethepuck says:

Actually, if the Wings beat the Hawks, we move up 1 spot in the draft . So maybe they are doing us a favor.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• The Jackal says:

I’d rather see the Bruins win than the Leafs have any success at all.
      At least I can respect the Bruins for being skilled, tough, deep, and competitive. The laffs are just a bad joke.

• savethepuck says:

I think I’ve read from you before that you are a newer Habs fan, it’s good that you are on the program of hating the Leafs. That’s how I was brought up!

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Marc10 says:

Oh Jackal…

It’s good to hate the Leafs and they should be well up on any Habs Fans pecking order of teams we loathe… But (and this one but we should all agree on) nobody trumps the Bruins.

Chara, Marchand, Lucic, Thornton, Ferrence, Campbell, Campbell’s dad, Jeremy Jacobs, Jack Edwards, Ken the Rat, Mike Milbury, Don Cherry… even Mark Recchi became a total dick simply by putting on the sweater…

Do I need to go on?

And I’d also put the Flyers ahead of the Leafs, but we can negotiate on that one… :)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Jackal, I have to respectfully disagree. A Canadiens fans hates the Nordiques, then the Bruins, and then the Flyers, but the latter two are in that order only because we play the Bruins more often.

We may dislike the Leafs, that’s allowed. But they’re at worst a distant fourth.

• Luke says:

Oh, but their fans… those Leaf fans are worse than all the others combined.
          It’s not the team I hate. It’s the ‘nation’.

• habstrinifan says:

Right on!!! And it’s not so much the ordinary Leafs fan.. it’s the media who are disguised as unbiased and yet are really Leafs fans thru and thru. They do more crowing than the ordinary fan.

• pmaraw says:

yes, please, anyone but the Bruins!!!

• wjc says:

Leafs went farther then the Canadiens in the playoffs. Canadiens played 5 games, the leafs took a tough Bruins team to 7 games.

People fail to realize the Leafs will be able to build off this playoff because they took the Bruins to the brink.

wjc

• commandant says:

I’m sure Toronto fans will be buying

Winners of 3 playoff games – 2013 Toronto Maple Leafs

T-shirts at the ACC right now.

Big deal they won an extra couple games… don’t mean crap. Florida pushed New Jersey to the brink last year and what did it get them?

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

17. Un Canadien errant says:

So… Our little scheme to have the Blades lose last night so as to not go straight through to the finals, but rather lose, play a tiebreaker game, win that then play in the semi-final, and after another victory get into the finals, has, um, backfired. The Blades, a team that appeared disjointed all season, going on alternating hot and cold streaks, were overmatched in the last game, as their high energy, physical style couldn’t make up for their comparative lack of talent.

In the first period, Saskatoon battled bravely, propped up by another excellent performance by Andrey Makarov, who was under siege even when his team was on the powerplay. It seemed a matter of time until the Knights exploded, and they did in the third, making the score 4-0 then 5-0 from the opening faceoff, and what was still a possible win became a rout. While the Blades dumped and chased, and cycled, and grinded, and cycled some more, the Knights were one-touch passing, playing the ‘three passes before you can shoot game’. The first round talent they had overpowered the mature, physical lineup of the Blades.

Dalton Thrower was suspended for his shoulder check to the head of Taylor Leier of the Portland Winterhawks, so we were now stuck watching Darren Dietz as the only Canadiens prospect in the tournament. And again, he did a lot of things well, but tonight some of his miscues were glaring.

On the plus side, he played major minutes, especially when the Blades still had a chance, being on the ice more often than not, even strength, on the powerplay, on the penalty kill. He was confident and creative with the puck, got off a few shots on goal that came close, and he was physical when in front of the net.

On the debit side, he committed a couple of gaffes that almost ended up in his net, notably when he tried a tricky little bounce pass of the boards to a teammate while behind his net, and that pass was easily gathered in by an opponent. The Blades scrambled in their end blocking shots and chasing the puck for an extra 30 seconds instead of having easily cleared their zone. Also, as the wheels were coming off, Mr. Dietz was frequently out of position, chasing the puck or a hit, although the whole team was coming unglued, the system was unraveling, so he’s not completely to blame. Another blight was his huge deliberate elbow to the throat of a London Knight who was already engaged with a Blade in a corner. Mr. Dietz was lucky to get away with only a two-minute penalty. As an assistant captain, we expect more maturity and discipline from him. He played the rest of the game straddling the line between resignation and dejection.

Overall, we have to assess Darren Dietz as a good prospect, but he’s no slam dunk. He does most everything pretty well, but he’s not a world beater in any respect. He’s not a scalpel, he’s not a sledge hammer, he’s a good, useful multi-tool. He’ll need to spend a couple of seasons in the AHL to develop further, and I can see him as a Josh Gorges type, in that he won’t be huge, but not small either, he’ll be reliable and dependable, but in contrast he’ll have an offensive component to his game that Josh doesn’t.

The game offered glimpses of Nikita Zadorov also, and he again impressed with his mobility and agility. Usually, a very tall defenceman is easy to pick out on the ice, he’ll be the guy with the slow, chugging stride, the ungainly pivot, the slow stick that a Daniel Brière or Saku Koivu will exploit. He’ll be the one who mid-stride will teeter, coast as he windmills his arms, then resume skating. Well, in Mr. Zadorov’s case, as well as most young giant defencemen coming up these days, that’s not the case. We saw him walking the blue line with the puck, stickhandling all the while, and getting off good shots. He was confident skating forward or backward, and his lateral movement and crossovers were effortless. He scored another goal, although this one was a rebound off his skate blade as he charged the Blades’ net, not a beauty like his powerplay marker in his earlier game against Saskatoon. Overall, he’s not a defenceman who’s tall yet pretty good, he’s a really good player who is really big and tall to boot.

Fingers crossed. Central Scouting has him ranked #22, you never know. Maybe we can start planting KHL rumours….

———————————————————————–

• Chris says:

Great comments.

One thing I would point out is the relative performances of Dietz and Gorges in their fourth year of junior:

Darren Dietz: 72 GP, 24 G, 58 PTS, 100 PIM
      Josh Gorges: 62 GP, 11 G, 42 PTS, 32 PIM

Dietz has got a better shot and a bit more offence than Gorges, but he also played on a stronger offensive team. Gorges had his best junior year in his third season, when his Kamloops Blazers had an offensive team (they were re-building in his last year).

That year, Gorges put up the following season:

54 GP, 11 G, 59 PTS, 76 PIM
      19 GP, 3 G, 20 PTS, 16 PIM (playoffs)

People see Gorges as a purely defensive defenceman because that is what he has become. In junior, however, against slower players, Gorges was able to put up some pretty admirable offensive numbers. He didn’t have the shot of Dietz or Thrower, but he was a very good all-around defenceman.

• wjc says:

You lost me at ‘our little scheme” like you and anyone for that matter is able to plan how a playoff run will go.

Plant KHL rumors, wow. Influencing Russia, from your little key board in the basement.

wjc

18. Phil C says:

Don’t know how you guys think Thrower’s hit is clean. Any contact to the head is illegal in the CHL, the rule is different than in the NHL. I don’t think Thrower was aiming for the head, but most of the contact was on the head. Completely illegal, not even close.

• pmaraw says:

its because a clean hit and a legal hit are two different things in the CHL. it was clean in the sense that he made the right play, if he lays off, he gets turned inside out by the attempted dangle. Leier was skating towards Thrower and could see him the whole way. Dalton throws the hit, the correct play. unfortunately the head ends up being the main point of contact due to the Leier’s poorly timed attempt at a dangle therefore making the hit illegal in the CHL, but not dirty.

• Phil C says:

I agree that it is probably not fair to call it a dirty hit. But there is no way you can call it clean either. To me, clean implies that it is also legal, and this hit was clearly illegal.

The reality of the new headshot rule in the CHL and IIHF is that if you can’t hit a player in the head any more, hitting a puck carrier from the front with your shoulder is now a very risky play. The style of hitting will have to evolve to adapt to this new rule. If NFL players can adapt to how they have to tackle, hockey players will have to do the same with how they check. Except in the NHL of course, they are good with their employees getting concussed.

19. savethepuck says:

This will make you think twice about crossing an older bridge in your car. Very scary, bridge on I-5 which is major highway on the west coast of the USA, collapses.

“http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Skagit+River+Bridge+collapses+Washington+State+cars+people+seen/8427846/story.html

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Un Canadien errant says:

No, no, no, that’s not important, what we must do is bring government spending under control, that’s what’s killing us. Building bridges and maintaining schools are luxuries we can’t afford.

• Marc10 says:

Well there’s a war on Christmas as you know Normand… and if you’re not willing to protect Baby Jesus with the full might of the Pentagon and the CIA’s drones… then I’m afraid you’re with the terrorists.

Bridges and flood levies and tornado shelters are good and all, but they won’t be of any use when Obamacare comes to take your guns away or goes after you and your 17 children for not paying your taxes…

That’s what the Founding Fathers thought when they wrote Magna Carta of Independence, Freedom and Liberty! And at the end of the day, the Rapture is coming… so we don’t need no stinkin’ bridges. We just need to be right with God.

And if push comes to shove… Just let the Free Market take care of it. That’s what Jesus would want.

(I think that’s how the argument goes… I’ll get Tim Thomas to proof this for me… )

In jest — and I apologize in advance for causing offence, but the ball was on the tee and someone had to ‘Sergio Garcia’ the heck out of it!

;)

• savethepuck says:

Was actually reading it saying WTF, but then I eventually found my way

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• Clay says:

haha! :D Very well stated Marc! I was getting concerned towards the end that you only mentioned Jesus one time, but you slipped another reference in there, and made it right.

__________________________
          ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

• Luke says:

I think i’ve read some of your work on my Facebook page!
          (repeatedly)

20. Gally365 says:

Three reasons we lost to Ottawa. Not tough enough, Weaker “D” and Weaker Goal Tending. Look at it what ever way you want. Having said that Ottawa won’t get by Pittsburgh.

Disagree completely.

Reasons: worst officiating I’ve ever seen, injuries, and bad bounces.

These things actually do influence the outcomes of sports more often than some may like to admit.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Yawn. Yeah, that Ottawa “D” is really great. That´s why they are giving up 40+ shots all the time.

21. habs1992 says:

Tom Cruise is a legend man does not age. Also nice to see celebs out at hockey games.

I support Carey Price

22. habs11s says:

So does Richards play Game 5 ?

_____________________________________________________________

23. Lafrich says:

For the first time, the expression “hockey play gone bad” actually applies. Thrower’s hit was head-on against a player carrying the puck. There was no blindside hit. No hit after the puck was gone, or before the player got the puck. No leaping. Just a good solid hit where unfortunately his shoulder hit the player’s head.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The CHL hands over discipline and video review to the NHL during the Memorial Cup, to ensure impartiality. As I understand it, they also use NHL rules during the tournament.

In any case, the rule doesn’t include whether the hit is a ‘blindside’ hit or not as a factor. We no longer need to worry about that, only whether the head is the ‘principal point of contact’.

from http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=64063

Rule 48 – Illegal Check to the Head

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.

———————————————————————–

24. habs001 says:

Well it looks like Canada will not have any edge in goaltending at the Olympics….Canada may have the weakest goaltending of the top teams…not even sure who they would go with…

• ProHabs says:

Price will flame out in the playoffs next year for the Habs but will lead Canada to gold in the Olympics because he won’t be playing behind a bunch of soft, small defencemen.

• savethepuck says:

Price is the consensus starting goaltender for Canada in the 2014 Olympics contrary to what some of his fans on here think. Everyone blames management for giving him the key to the franchise without earning it, but can anyone explain to me why new management came in this summer that had absolutely no allegiance to him, and gave him his contract because they knew how important he is to this franchise? The answer is, because the hockey community, management from other organizations who know more than us, know how good this guy is.
      The constant bashing is ridiculous.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• The Jackal says:

Seriously, he had 10 bad game… a slump – something which every athlete experiences – it is not a rare thing, it happens all the time.
        This is why you can’t trust what people say about goalies, lose a few games and you are nothing. Get on a hot streak and suddenly you are a perennial Vezina candidate and Conn Smythe candidate.

Price is good. Goalies play much better behind solid defenses as well. Upgrade that, and Price is even better.
        Put Quick behind the D we had going into the playoffs and they call him a stiff too. Oh wait… some were saying Quick sucked… right before the Kings won 6 games in a row :D

• savethepuck says:

It bothers me a lot that he’s being blamed for the loss to the Sens because when he got hurt, the Habs were only down 2-1. Should of been tied 2-2 without our starting goaltender being hurt, and Habs retaining home ice advantage if a few idiot zebras didn’t make a few bad calls.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• The Jackal says:

Exactly. Game 4 was a shutout until they let Zibanejad do his best Lionel Messi impersonation. Price was then injured right before OT… what bad luck that series… Eeessh!

25. habs001 says:

What is the purpose of having all four of Diaz,Gorges,Cube and Markov in the lineup next season?……If you are building for the future it makes no sense and i cant believe management believes you can even win one round in the playoffs if these 4 are in your lineup…

• Mark C says:

What do you suggest they do when it’s not even the offseason yet?

• formerly known as the hc says:

I am not sure how envision “building for the future”, but I am willing to bet that most hockey people would do this through the draft…. Not by trading prospects, not by chasing free agents, but through the draft. Yes, when we actually have a contender (we are no where close to being one), trades and free agency may be used to ‘push us over the edge’. Remember, this is a cap league, and everyone wants the same type of players, AND nobody will give us gold for our lousy players/contracts. The ‘future’ doesn’t mean tomorrow.

• savethepuck says:

What you don’t understand, is that there are a lot of posters here that thought MB should of just released 1/3 of the roster ( or assets he has ) because they didn’t fit, instead of letting him take the time to evaluate what he has and give him time to make the necessary trades he will undoubtedly do to make this team a serious contender.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

26. habs1992 says:

Real good chance we dont make playoffs next year, DETROIT MOVING TO OUR DIVISION

I support Carey Price

27. frontenac1 says:

Throwers hit looked good to me too.

28. Bill says:

Yeah, watched that hit by Thrower a hundred times now. Good hit. Can’t wait to see him play for the Habs.

Full Breezer 4 Life

29. punkster says:

Too bad HH didn’t watch this one…best game of the playoffs so far.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

30. Bill says:

Figured out why I like the Wings this year.

They remind me of the old time Habs when they were at the end of a dynasty. A team of vets who weren’t the best anymore but who still knew how to win better than anyone.

Full Breezer 4 Life

31. johnnylarue says:

Classic playoff hockey at the Joe Louis tonight. Great stuff.

32. Adidess says:

I always thought Jimmy Howard was good because of the great defensive system in front of him.

New found respect for him this year, regular season and playoffs. This guy is an unbelievable goaltender.

• Chris says:

Howard was a hot prospect coming out of the NCAA, but he had a slow start to his career. Never really found his groove in the AHL until he was 24, which prompted the Red Wings to draft Thomas McCollum.

But Howard has definitely put it together and he’s one of the better goalies in the league. He does benefit from an experienced team that is usually committed to strong team defence, but he’s increasingly standing out on his own merits.

33. L Elle says:

Money Goalie
    You got a good job with good pay and you’re okay
    Money goalie gassed
    Grab that puck with both gloves or you’ll be bashed
    New car, race horses, five star daydream
    Think I’ll buy me a hockey team

Money Goalie boy
    you’re no star Roy
    Keep your head on your shoulders
    Money goalie lit
    Don’t give me that do good good good bullshit
    You’re not the high-elite goalie – teams lose with you in net
    I think you owe us a debt

Money Goalie shine
    Blame unfairly
    But take a crappy team up high
    Money Goalie they say is the root of all evil today
    But if you ask for some praise
    It’s no surprise that they’re trading none away away away away

34. habstrinifan says:

Karma’s gonna make Boston lose this series and Chara’s goof gonna end up in Hockey Lore. As I said. Beautiful.

• HardHabits says:

Nah. It’s gonna go to game 7 and Boston will win after trailing miserably going into the 3rd period. Then in the post game interview somebody will say how they don’t make it easy on themselves but how they have so much character yadda yadda yadda.

35. YOWHab says:

I cannot wait for Thrower to put a few hits just like that on some Boston players…….

It’s a shame that his production sucked this year though….

36. habstrinifan says:

Replayed the Thrower hit. In my opinion Thrower mistimed an intended ‘full open ice hit’ and as he had passed the spot where shoulder to shoulder contact would have been made, Thrower threw out his his upper arm from his elbow up and connected directly with the player’s head. It was almost a stationary hit to the head. Suspension deserevved…. just my opinion.

• twilighthours says:

Just saw it. To me, it looked ok.

• Steven says:

It didn’t look like he wanted to end up high, but from what I saw, he got him cleanly in the chin. In that sense, I understand why the suspension was discerned.

At the very least, it’s a good learning experience.

• The Jackal says:

Looks like it was accidental, but was it reckless?

IMO, if a hit is deemed reckless, then accident or not, it must be subject to disciplinary action.

It’s up to hockey authorities to determine what reckless means, but it should include any contact with the head, like the IIHF rules. Just like a high stick is always a penalty because that kind of play is dangerous and can really hurt a player, a hit to the head should always be penalized regardless of intent.

• habstrinifan says:

I’ll go with reckless especially since if you watch the clip closely you will see that Thrower almost had to do a double take to make contact… after he had lost ‘alignment’ for a full legal hit.

• 24 Cups says:

LMAO. If that hit was on a Hab, people would be crying for a suspension.

Are we trying to clean up the game or not?

37. twilighthours says:

Don’t know how that hit on Bickell wasn’t interference. And he looked wobbly afterwards, too.

I recommend everyone listen to this album in its entirety.

Truly one of the great albums of the prog rock 70’s. Dark Side of the Moon would never have been the best selling album of all time if it wasn’t for this studio genius.

39. HabFan in Edmonton says:

Still can’t believe how many empty seats in Saskatoon when the Blades are playing. So why did they pick Saskatoon to host the Memorial Cup ??? Ridiculous !!!

40. Un Canadien errant says:

One more thing people (and especially Ms. Branswell), it’s the Memorial Cup, plain and simple. We don’t have to, shouldn’t, and mustn’t contort ourselves to affix a company’s name in front of the title just because they paid Sportsnet a couple of mill. Just because Darren Millard and his stooges and the announcers are being forced to say this unwieldy phrase eight times a period doesn’t mean we have to jump through the same hoop.

That company didn’t invent the Memorial Cup, or play any part in its development as a grand Canadian tradition. All they’ve done is shovel money into Ted Rogers’ estate. We get no benefit from it. They get no credit.

The trophy was originally known as the OHA Memorial Cup and was donated by the Ontario Hockey Association (OHA) in 1919 to be awarded to the junior champion of Canada. From its inception until 1971, the Memorial Cup was open to all Junior A teams in the country and was awarded following a series of league, provincial and regional playoffs culminating in an east-west championship. The three-league tournament format began in 1972 when the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association divided the Junior A rank into two tiers, naming the Memorial Cup as the championship of the Major Junior level.

The Memorial Cup was proposed by Captain James T. Sutherland during World War I, who wanted to create a trophy as a memorial to remember the OHA’s players who died during the war. When the trophy was created, it was dedicated in honour of the soldiers who died fighting for Canada in the war. It was rededicated to honour all soldiers who died fighting for Canada in any conflict during the 2010 tournament.

Let’s honour the tradition and legacy that is the Memorial Cup, and not sully it by parroting what the talking heads at Sportsnet are bleating incessantly.

———————————————————————–

41. The Jackal says:

Toews is putting on quite a show of pissed off faces.

• twilighthours says:

He’s a mess. Falling apart.

Edit: three stick infractions. Two more and he’s gone!

• The Jackal says:

I can’t believe he just took his third penalty in a row.
        He definitely looks like he has lost his mental edge, he is making lots of frustration mistakes.

Not to be captain obvious but if the Hawks lose this game, they are done.

IMO, teams that are that successful without going through adversity don’t usually get it together on time to bounce back from a bad streak.

• frontenac1 says:

Yeah, not like him at all. Weird. Started when whined to the press about the refs a couple of games ago. Quenneville yelling at his goalie on the bench in the last game too? Strange stuff.

• Bill says:

Gotta love Toews though. I would trade anyone for him.

Full Breezer 4 Life

42. JohnBellyful says:

The NHL is trying to keep it hush-hush but apparently one fan grew so irate over the terrible officiating in a recent playoff match he confronted the referee after the
    game
    The league is so concerned it’s arranged for special security to escort officials to their hotel rooms.

43. habstrinifan says:

Just saw the MOST beautiful goal in the playoffs!
    Stepan picks Chara’s pockets and stuffs it in.

It was so beautiful. I hope this turns the whole darn series around. Up till now I wasnt interested in this series but I want this to go down as a highlight .. all over youtube.

44. The Jackal says:

You know, one thing that is funny about how people criticize goalies is that the usual statements and claims are usually unsubstantiated and specious… at best!

Watching all these games so close together, I’ve noticed that these criticisms don’t really apply well. I mean, take the HIO favourite: he was on his knees on that goal! Well duh, most goalies play a butterfly style, they tend to go down when making saves. It’s funny how some commentator on CBC noted yesterday that Vokoun was on his knees for all the goals he has let in… I mean, is that even noteworthy?

Then there are the typical sport make or break a legend statements… like a guy is clutch or not clutch, carries a team or does not. Case in point – Anderson. He ostensibly carried the sens to a win in the first round, but is that really true? If he is that good, why doesn’t he do it again? On the flip side, many blamed Price for not being good enough to win. Well, it’s a team game. The Habs outplayed the sens most of the time but did not win because of many different factors that are irrelevant here. What matters is that both goalies gave their teams a chance, and a big part of who got the W or L was how a team made use of their chances. Despite getting the lucky bounces, the sens were able to score more goals despite being outshot, while we did not get the high quality chances, most shots were from the outside. Nonetheless, people still blame Price for letting in goals that his defence should not have allowed, and Anderson is praised for many 40 routine saves a game.

By the same token, Rask is being praised as a gamebreaker while Lundqvist, who has been just as good, if not better, is said to be not clutch. People cite his record in OT as if the Rangers did not lose those games as well, only Lundqvist lost. How people draw these conclusions about goalies makes no sense.

At the start of the LAK – STL series, many pundits said Quick had lost it, well look who is at the top of the charts now? Goalies are just part of a team. Sometimes they play lights out, sometimes they don’t. But even when they play lights out, their teammates have to score more goals than they allow.

Where is this going? Well, despite how well a goalie plays, if he ends up allowing more goals than the other guy, chances are he will be labeled as a loser while the other guy will be called clutch. How people rate goalies just doesn’t make sense! They say a guy who makes 40 routine saves is good, but the guy who makes a bunch of hard saves yet lets in 4 is crap.

• Chris says:

This is basically just stating that the gap between the best and the mediocre goalies simply isn’t that big. Any goalie can get hot in a series.

Craig Anderson was a difference-maker in the Ottawa-Montreal series. Arguing otherwise is simply grasping at straws. Montreal did take some crappy shots, but he also made the key saves when he had to and survived some pretty heavy barrages at the start of most games.

Similarly, he hasn’t been at the same level in the Pittsburgh series. He’s been more average, and average isn’t going to cut it given the disparity in talent level between the Penguins and the Senators.

Montreal and Ottawa had similar talent levels, but Ottawa’s players executed their game-plan far better, and this most certainly includes Anderson.

• The Jackal says:

The difference is small, yes, but that’s because of the level every player is playing at.

The point is that you can’t put it all on goaltending or make judgments about a goalie based on a hot streak or a cold streak.
        Perhaps Anderson made a difference, but we still managed to pump a few past him. I won’t get into the details of why we came up short, but he was not unbeatable and we are now seeing his unsustainable play unravel as Pittsburgh are getting way better chances.

Anyway, the point is that just because a goalie let’s in 4 does not mean he choked or did not rise to the occasion. Like all players, they go through streaks, the difference is that they are easily blamed for their mistakes, because when they make one, a red light goes on. But they are also vulnerable to their teammates making mistakes in the D zone, as these can also lead to goals. No matter how good you are, you’re not stopping a backdoor play. Nevertheless, the expectations seem to be that they should make that save, and thus, the goalie that loses the game, regardless of the nature of the goals that were scored on him, is looked as inferior to the winner.

45. Bill says:

@UCE thanks for the Grantland link, that was a great read!

46. Mavid says:

no baby yet.. :???:

47. Un Canadien errant says:

Absorbing email chat on Grantland regarding Sergio Garcia’s boneheaded remarks.

I’m only halfway through, and I’m learning stuff. For example, as anodyne and dated as I thought any references to fried chicken or watermelon are, it apparently is still a very, very touchy issue in the States at least, to a point that I, with a different cultural background, don’t understand it at all.

———————————————————————–

• habstrinifan says:

I was trying to read the stuff on the link when I came across the following line, “And yeah, it’s worth mentioning how boring racism has gotten..”. Of course I did not have to read any farther into the discussion. I now had a comforting response for the next 10 to 12 year old who wonders why others chose to resurrect such ‘boring’ insults.

48. Bill says:

Totally unrelated, but I love how my phone wants to spell Prust as Proust.
    As Habs fans we are all in search of lost times, are we not?

49. Bill says:

@Jackal: Hard to express all this on my phone, but when Vigneault was a new coach in Montreal he overcompensated for his rawness by being a total martinet. He had this ridiculous metaphor: “three chairs”. Every player was either a scorer, a checker, or a tough guy. You had to choose your role and not stray from it.

This probably sounds ridiculous to someone who wants hockey players to be multifaceted and versatile. That’s because it IS.

This nonsense resulted in veterans moving out of Montreal. The young players had no choice but to follow directions. I remember Darcy Tucker, one of the most versatile players I’ve seen, being forced as a 20 year old middleweight to try to be an enforcer. He was traded when he didn’t pan out as a tough guy … obviously went on to a good career in Tampa and Toronto.

The worst case was Terry Ryan. The Habs pick at #8, a big, skilled, tough player who should have been a star. Vigneault absolutely destroyed this kid’s confidence and approach to the game. Ryan wound up trying to be a goon in the AHL to make the Habs when he should have been scoring goals for the Habs. Vigneault ran him right out of the league. Still makes me angry as a Habs fan and especially as an East Coast Habs fan!

Eeesh that’s too bad!
      Well it looks like he learned from his mistakes, but too bad about Ryan, it’s a horrible thing to have your career derailed like that.

• D Mex says:

This is interesting stuff : it surprises me that an organization like the CH would allow a rookie coach this kind of latitude with players who have been around long enough to establish some kind of name or reputation for themselves.
      I knew Tucker had been with the Habs organization, but had not heard of these circumstances leading to his departure. Who were the other veterans that left and which ‘ chairs ‘ did they not fit into ?
      Where do you go for sources on this kind of insight and how do you assess its / their reliability ?

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Habcouver says:

Had MT derailed any young player’s confidence during his first stint in Mtl?

Waiting patiently for #25

• JohnBellyful says:

Three chairs? That doesn’t sound so bad.
      Imagine trying to play for Herb Brooks and his 12 chairs. Players were either scorers, checkers, heavy hitters, playmakers, ice-the-puckers, deflecters, good in the room, good on the bench, fast skaters, penalty killers, power play specialists or shot blockers. Anything else and you were off the squad. It did cause a lot of tension on the team.
      ( … I think it was Herb Brooks)

• Chris says:

Terry Ryan busted because he simply wasn’t an NHL calibre skater, and he didn’t have enough talent to overcome that liability.

It would have been great if he would have made it, but even he has admitted that he was a bit of a long-shot because of his skating.

People often fall in love with talent, but the thing to watch when you’re watching junior age players if whether they have wheels. The jump from the OHL to the AHL is huge, and the jump from the OHL to the NHL is almost unfathomable. Almost everybody in the NHL can skate like the wind.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Chris, I’ve read similar posts from you in the past, about how skating is the determining factor in whether a player makes it to the NHL, and I bow to your greater familiarity with Junior hockey and scouting in general, but one question I have is whether you think, with the current, growing mania in the NHL to go with players with size, almost to the exclusion of any other consideration, that this will change in the near future?

• Chris says:

The NHL has been obsessed with size for a couple of decades. Look at Montreal’s draft picks in the 1990’s and the size they ended up playing at:

1990: Turner Stevenson (6’3″, 220 pounds)
          1991: Brent Bilodeau (6’4″, 230 pounds)
          1992: David Wilkie (6’3″, 215 pounds)
          1993: Saku Koivu (5’10”, 184 pounds)
          1994: Brad Brown (6’4″, 230 pounds)
          1995: Terry Ryan (6’1″, 207 pounds)
          1996: Matt Higgins (6’0″, 213 pounds)
          1997: Jason Ward (6’2″, 208 pounds)
          1998: Eric Chouinard (6’3″, 204 pounds)

Out of that list, the only guy that was an elite skater was Koivu, and he’s also the only one that had a career befitting a first round choice. Turner Stevenson forged a niche for himself and his limited skating ability in New Jersey, but the rest were busts.

I’ve had the good fortune to cheer for the Guelph Storm in recent years and the trait I watch for is guys who either have outstanding top-end speed or above average speed married to an elite work ethic. Ryan Callahan is a great example of the former, while Dustin Brown was a good example of the latter. Both have gone on to successful NHL careers.

NHL scouts and executives aren’t completely stupid. They know that size isn’t enough on its own, but that it needs to be married to skating ability. But there is a pervasive attitude in the NHL that “bigs” need to prove they can’t make it because of their skating, while “smalls” need to prove that the can make it despite their size.

It isn’t fair, but it is understandable in a league where Ilya Kovalchuk or Alex Ovechkin can fly around the ice for 25-30 minutes per game at 235 pounds. Even Lucic is a good skater for a man of his size, something that is often overlooked.

• habstrinifan says:

Hi Bill, you are the first person ever on HIO whom I have seen express any regret that Darcy Tuckey was lost to the HABS. Maybe because he became of of those players who you hate on the other team. I think Darcy Tucker should have had a long career as a HAB.
      I dont need to repeat my opinions re Vigneault, the non-thinking philosopher coach.

• Chris says:

Tucker is one of my pantheon of Habs that I absolutely detested while he wore the Montreal jersey. That list includes:

Gary Leeman
        Darcy Tucker
        Jose Theodore
        Mike Ribeiro
        Scott Gomez

Tucker was a clown and out of control in Montreal. Opposing players did not respect him, nor did referees. I remember a linesman violently shoving a chirping Tucker into the penalty box, a gesture that was so out of place that there was talk of a suspension for the linesman.

Tucker had a great junior career, but he didn’t figure out his role until his Tampa Bay years. The Habs probably gave up on him too early, but that is one failure that I will never, ever regret.

• frontenac1 says:

One of my favourite Tucker moments courtesy of L’Artiste.

• habstrinifan says:

I understand cause I have seen that sentiment many times. I am surprised your list didnt include Claude Lemieux. I think when Habs ‘gave up’ on Tucker and Lemieux’ they erred mightily.
          But as I said I understand. You are in the majority. I dont fight it anymore, the ‘hate’ for these two players is overwhelming.

• Chris says:

Lemieux didn’t really start pulling the BS until after the 1986 playoffs where he had already established himself as an NHL player. Tucker was an idiot right out of the gate.

50. commandant says:

Bo Horvat scores on a penalty shot at the mem cup

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

51. EricInStL says:

Krug, Krugster, Krugmeister, what a playoff series….Might save Julien’s job….

• commandant says:

He can’t be good, he’s only 5’9″

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• EricInStL says:

but he is surrounded by lots of lumber. That will give a sprout lots of confidence.

Montreal has Proust and it helped, but they need more help. Hopefully Bergevin will continue his work. Let’s see what he drafts….

• Mark C says:

Finalist for the Hobey Baker and college free agent. Two other HIO pox marks.

• Strummer says:

5’9″ and under is Ok when there are only 2 such players – having 5 in your line-up including 3 of your top 9 forwards is too many.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• The Jackal says:

Well, A, we don’t have 5. And B, they are effective players on our team, so it’s irrelevant that they are that size since we have other players who help them out. Marchand is not exactly tall or big, neither is Krug… and besides Chara and Lucic, it’s not like the Bruins have huge guys. They are a team that plays big and tough. You don’t need a whole team of giants to play like that, just a few players. We are well on our way to allowing our smaller guys to play tough all the time.

• Strummer says:

Gionta, Gallagher, Deharnais, Dumont, Bouillon

______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• The Jackal says:

They are not on at the same time.
            Size is not as important as some people think.
            Play hard, play tough, and win battles.
            Small does not mean you can’t win battles. DD has been quite good at that until this season, he was probably playing hurt.
            We all know Gallagher tends to come out on top in battles too.

As long as you have balance, size is not an issue.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Gionta, Desharnais and Gallagher should not be in the lineup together, period. And on the defensive side, which is most important, Diaz, Gorges, Bouillon and Markov can’t make up 2/3 of defence.

No question the Habs need to adjust that to compete in today’s NHL.

• The Jackal says:

So why is Krug succeeding as a rookie despite his size? And is Jordan Subban not worth picking then?

Balance > size.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Individually a small player can succeed. Look at Gallagher, he’s awesome.

Put a team of 30-goal scoring guys who are 5’8″ up against a team of 30-goal scoring guys who are 6’3″.

Odds are by the end of the game the 6″3″ bunch will have won more puck battles, come out on the better end of more hits, done a better job clearing the crease…

They’ve got a longer reach, longer legs and are generally stronger.

Hockey is a physical game.

52. 1010 says:

Rick Nash: Biggest perimeter puss in the league.

GO HABS…

53. EricInStL says:

This blueshirt team is done like a turkey during thanksgiving….

54. The Jackal says:

@Bill. Just wondering if you could elaborate on Vigneault ruining young players? Is that true? I always thought if he was fired last season then we should hire him. But his tenure ended just before I moved to Canada and started watching hockey, so I don’t know about the shennanigans of that era.

55. Strummer says:

As VP of Hockey Operations how much authority will Roy have in player personnel decisions?

I think this also shows that Sakic is a figure-head PR type of VP who may be out of his depth on player acquisition/development issues.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

56. Habfan17 says:

This is a bizarre way to run a club. How many people can hold the title of VP? Maybe they should have given Roy the title of
    Coach and Co-VP of hockey Operations, It sounds like this is what it is.

Habfan17

57. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Coach and VP of hockey operations when the team has a GM? Maybe if Colorado had more D-men than VPs they can make the playoffs…

58. frontenac1 says:

Ban fights,ban hits,ban smoking and drinking. Zeig Hiel!

• Strummer says:

Fighting, smoking and drinking all prevailed in Nazi Germany.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Chris says:

Fighting in hockey is pointless.

Hitting in hockey is fine, so long as it is hitting to separate the puck from the player, not the head from the player.

Smoking is idiotic, but I couldn’t care less if other people want to kill themselves so long as I don’t have to breathe the crap.

Drinking? Knock yourself out. But don’t drive, like the idiot that killed my brother. I’d also love it if the people that drink were a little less belligerent so that I could walk through the main street here after 11 p.m. without having to worry about some little Napoleon jumping me to show his friends how tough he is.

Nazis? Equating the above is not only nonsensical, but it is somewhat insulting to the millions of people who had to put up with being prosecuted, i.e. that is brutalized, killed and desecrated, because of their sexuality, their religion or their racial background.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Fighting is a silly thing but until it’s gone, I want the Habs to be the toughest team in the league. If your team gets beat up all the time, so does your confidence.

When I stand up and cheer during a fight it’s because I want the Canadiens player to win the fight and keep the momentum going our way.

• SUMO says:

Depends on what your smoking ;-)

• Marc10 says:

Fighting: The risks outweigh the benefits. Guys are too strong and too skilled and doing this on a sheet of ice in an unregulated setting is positively insane. Will .result in lack of insurance coverage and massive lawsuits

Smoking: That’s a drug addiction whereby you place your addiction above everything else: your health, your family and kids, everyone else… simply to get a hit. Usually the pushers make sure to get you hooked when you’re young and impressionable so you can then spend the rest of your life justifying spewing that filth in people’s face and behaving like a complete jerk… After all, you should be free to enjoy yourself no matter how badly it inconveniences others, right?

Drinking: Another drug. Dis-inhibits and relaxes you. Damages your health when abused and can lead to violent outbursts and momentary (and sometimes irreversible) brain dysfunction. In moderation, it’s fine. Like all things, when done in excess… leads to bad things, lawsuits and broken lives.

Sieg Heil: Means hail my leader or hail victory… Popularised by the Nazis in the 30s. Now associated with all forms of fascism… I would assume you’re equating being forbidden to fight, smoke and drink with fascism, that is to say, being forced to conform to strict dictates from some kind of authority (ie, government).

I would see your point if said behaviour didn’t significantly infringe on other people’s fundamental rights. Fighting is a grey area. If it’s unprovoked… that’s assault. Is it really fascism to stop assaults?

Smoking? That’s letting someone’s irrational addiction prevent others from breathing clean air. Doesn’t serve a utilitarian purpose at all (unlike cars for example) and is simply justifying chemically induced narcissism.

Drinking? No one is preventing it. They just don’t want you to start fights or drink drive. Seems reasonable… Hard to say that’s fascism.

• frontenac1 says:

Yeah,I kinda agree on the cigarettes, but a good Cohiba? That is civilized amigo. Just pissed off the health nazis closed down our Cigar Room. Tragic really.

59. Bill says:

The Boston-Toronto series was a ridiculous, anything-goes, nothing will be called, Australian rules series. Seems like the Ranger-Bruins series is about the same. More interference than I’ve seen since the late 90’s. What is this BS. Hard to watch.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Chwinsy says:

I found the hawks and detroit series equally hard to watch, the stick-work is awful; while i believe toews needs to suck it up, I find detroit, despite their obvious talent, to be skillfully playing to the ‘limit’ of the ‘playoff rulebook’.

• johnnylarue says:

I noticed that too about Detroit.

I guess the refs are just being fair to smaller or less physical players by allowing them to slash with relative impunity–in response to the general goon-fests we’ve seen in other series.

You’d think they’d be doing a better job of calling goals and non-goals with all the extra time they have, seeing as they don’t have to pay attention to anything happening away from the puck…

60. frontenac1 says:

Paddy Roy and Torts are Loose Wires.My Kinda Guys.

Joe Sakic hiring Patrick Roy… This must have been one fair and unbiased selection process.

• habstrinifan says:

I think Joe Sakic was ‘convinced’ that he had to hire Roy as both coach and VP for hockey operations.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

A guy in charge has never hired a friend before anywhere…c’mon.

• Strummer says:

Mr. Gainey- Meet Mr. Carbonneau and Mr. Jarvis.

They also fire their friends.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

62. johnnylarue says:

I’m one of those bleeding-heart “ban ALL hits to the head” guys, but I’ll agree that the Thrower hit is a tough call and that it definitely wouldn’t have called for a suspension five years ago.

That said, no question Thrower jumps into the hit and catches Leier very high. (See the video. WATCH the video.) He just clearly didn’t intend to make contact with Leier’s head–only his shoulder/body. It was accident, but the concept here is that any hit which results in a player losing consciousness has to be considered reckless. It’s as simple as that.

And as a counter-argument to the popular refrain, “players are responsible for protecting themselves,” I offer: the culture of the game needs to change, because senility at age 45 is just not a super great career outcome, any way you choose to look at it.

• Bill says:

Well, I’m in a bind, because I don’t want dirty blindside hits that obviously target the head, but on the other hand, I don’t want a no-contact league. Thrower comes at Leier shoulder-height and head on. If that hit is illegal then all hits are illegal, period.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• johnnylarue says:

I absolutely hear what you’re saying, Bill.

I don’t think anyone wants to see physicality removed from hockey, but there has to be a culture of respect instilled in the players–meaning that at a minimum, a player should always be aware when they’re about to hit an opponent who’s in a vulnerable position.

The problem with this hit is that Leier definitely should have been more aware of the situation. He had to know that Thrower was right there in front of him. Thrower was the only guy standing between him and the goal. But he failed to consider that getting hit was a possibility for some reason.

So yes, even as a bleeding heart, I can acknowledge that there was more at play here than just recklessness or malicious intent. Leier, to be fair, could have protected himself better.

But still, I’m gonna support the suspension on principle, with the hope that if enough suspensions get handed out, players will learn to think twice before really nailing a guy with his head down.

• HardHabits says:

I disagree about the bleeding heart part. I know you’re being sarcastic but that is so Don Cherry.

I do agree that Thrower flips up his elbow and not just leans but jumps into the hit.

I support the IIHF position that there are no clean hits to the head. It’s not being a bleeding heart to think so. The NHL are dunces and laggards.

• johnnylarue says:

Ha! Actually, no sarcasm intended… I actually take pride in my bleeding-heartedness. ;)

And yup, I’m on your side: I think you can still have hard, physical hockey without the copious head injuries we’re seeing today. Just a matter of time before the dunces and laggards retire. (Hopefully the people replacing them will have a more 21st century worldview…)

• Chris says:

Junior hockey players simply don’t understand physics. The way that they are taught to hit makes absolutely no sense and puts them into a position where they can easily cause an injury if their timing is off even a little.

When are Habs going to announce a new head coach?

3 games on the tube and Interwebs and I doubt I will even watch one period of hockey tonight. Round 2 is my least favourite round of the 4. Can’t wait for the conference finals. Just get this over with already.

BTW. Thanks and a special shout out to Bripro for the Mediahint hook-up.

• The Jackal says:

Wait just a minute. Does mediahint work for game centre or are you using it for Netflix?

• HardHabits says:

I am using it for Hulu. I watched this rad Iron Man mini series and another X-Men one. Both were top notch and totally adult oriented.

Mediahint also allows you to select from the full American menu with Netflix but I don’t subscribe to that service. It also seems to work with other sites that restrict their content to the good ole You Ess of Eh!!

Best site for sports is WIZIWIG

65. habstrinifan says:

The caption “The Evolution of John Tortorella” should probably read “The revolution against John Tortorella”.

66. habstrinifan says:

So with the developments in Colorado would you agree”

Habs dodged a bullet that it wasn’t Avalanche moving into our conference.

HIO dodged a bullet that it wasnt Avalanche moving into our conference.

Coulda led to some knock-down drag-out fun among the commentariat.

67. Un Canadien errant says:

According to the team’s website, which hasn’t been updated since the announcement, Stan Kroenke is the President, Joe Sakic is Exec. VP, but Greg Sherman is only General Manager, and doesn’t have a VP title, as does Marc Bergevin (Exec. VP), Dave Nonis (Senior VP), Mike Gillis (President), Dean Lombardi (President), etc.

It would be odd for Patrick Roy to be the Head Coach and VP, yet have his GM not be part of the executive as well. It will be interesting to see how they update their org. structure.

EXECUTIVE STAFF
    E. Stanley Kroenke – Owner
    Josh Kroenke – President & Governor
    Joe Sakic – Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations
    Greg Sherman – General Manager
    Jean Martineau – Senior Vice President, Communications & Business Operations
    Craig Billington – Vice President of Player Development/Minor League Operations
    Charlotte Grahame – Vice President of Hockey Administration
    Brad Smith – Director of Player Personnel
    Pierre Lacroix – Advisor

———————————————————————–

Does this mean that Quebec City is a long shot for a franchise?

69. bwoar says:

I know it’s late, but, nice hit by Thrower. BS suspension. Unlucky result for Leier. Players making that play have a responsibility to avoid head contact? Ridiculous. Keep your head up and defend yourself when going down his side.

St. Patrick: we’ll just see about that, won’t we?

“thoroughbred”

70. habstrinifan says:

I think Roy may have overplayed his hand here. Insisting on the VP title as part of accepting the job. Once the possibility of Roy as head coach was mentioned, the AVS were in a tough spot. To renew and maintain their fan base they almost had to make this move. Roy held them up real good… and it could backfire.

It also gives credence to the rumours that Roy wanted too much authority and therefore was eventually ‘dismissed’ as a candidate for any position with the HABS. I am sure folks here will remember all the furor over Roy’s name at that time.

NHL and Colorado need Roy. And I hope he lights a fire in the Avalanche franchise. But I am not as excited as I was yesterday. I dont like to see a guy like Sakic put into a position like this. Make no mistake about it Sakic feet was held to the fire on this one. I only hope that he, Sakic, was able to play a little hardball himself and insulate himself contract wise if things do go sour.
    Good luck to Sakic.. and with just a little dismay.. good luck also to Roy. I hope it all works out.

The respective titles are curious.. VP of hockey operations -Roy and Executive VP of hockey operations-Sakic.
    Tick tock tick tick tick tock….

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think it puts last May all in context. Both sides explained that Patrick Roy was interviewed and was impressive, but eventually Michel Therrien was the better fit. I can see Marc Bergevin not being comfortable giving Patrick that much latitude. He had people in mind as part of his management committee, Rick Dudley first and foremost, and he didn’t think that could work.

Joe Sakic knows Patrick and probably trusts that they can make it work.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree. However I think Patrick Roy was ‘involved in some sort of consideration’ long before Bergevin. Remember we have found out that one of the questions raised during the GM interviews, and raised by non other than Savard, was “Where do you see Patrick fitting in with the organization?”.
        I do agree with you that once Habs brass became ‘wary’ of Roy’s ‘demands’ they relayed their concern to Bergevin after he was eventually chosen and allowed Bergevin to form his own opinion after meeting Roy and go from there.

71. commandant says:

A young team will be perfect for Patrick at this stage.

The VP title is interesting as is his role in personnel.

How long til he butts heads with Joe Sakic though?

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• bwoar says:

If he hasn’t started telling Joe how to do his job by this afternoon, I’ll be disappointed.

“thoroughbred”

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s an interesting curl, that he was given the official VP title, as opposed to just verbal assurances that he would be consulted and have a voice in the room when moves were being deliberated. A NHL Head Coach always has a say, practically, but usually not that kind of officially recognized authority, unless he’s a GM/Coach like Darryl Sutter was in Calgary.

I’d like to see the org chart, see if the GM is a VP with the same standing as the new Head Coach, do they both report directly to Executive VP Joe Sakic, or does Patrick Roy report through the GM to Joe Sakic.

A little muddled, but a team of equals who have the ultimate goal in mind can make it work. I’ve been in a situation where I reported indirectly and then directly to a personal friend, and it didn’t cause any problems. We trusted each other, and on my end, made me work harder so we would both be successful.

———————————————————————–

72. JUST ME says:

Perfect fit for the Avalanche. Roy has sentimental attachments with the city and he thrives when he is emotionaly involved in a project. He probably has carte blanche. He will be working with his friend Sakic and probably a few others to be named later. He knows how to work with kids. He is from the era of the spoiled superstars so he will know how to deal with them. He likes to kick a few…wich is badly needed down there. He will have time to build something, may not have enough time to reach the ultimate goal though…He now has more than plenty of experience with 7 years as a coach in the minors.

73. punkster says:

Now he gets the opportunity to show if he can do what so many believe he can.

Tough challenge with that team…good luck.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

74. Ron says:

Good luck to Pat..its his FIRST kick at NHL coaching, hope its not a short stay.

• Mike D says:

I don’t typically read the TSN comment boards, unless I’m maybe looking for a good laugh, but this one was both funny and potentially very accurate:

“Varlamov will demand a trade 3 weeks into the season.”

I wonder if Patty will also serve as goalie coach to go along with his Head Coach and VP gigs? If I remember correctly, the Avs don’t/didn’t have one.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Habfan10912 says:

I’ll be rooting for Patrick as well. It will be tough for him as a first timer but he’s better off getting his feet wet in Colorado then in Quebec.