Auld tomorrow, Markov Saturday

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Alex Auld | Jaro Spacek

Very quiet morning at the Bell Sports Complex, the Canadiens still basking in the glow of last night’s 5-3 win over the New York Islanders.

Only seven Canadienswere on the ice for a bit of work: goalie Alex Auld, who will get the start on Long Island Friday night, and skaters Andrei Markov, who’ll play his first game of the season against the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre on Saturday, plus Lars Eller, Mathieu Darche, Alexandre Picard, Ryan O’Byrne and Dustin Boyd.

The rest of the crew worked out in the gym.

The team charters this afternoon to Long Island for tomorrow’s game against the Islanders.

• Carey Price became the first Canadiens goaltender to begin a season with nine starts since Patrick Roy in 1995.

• Islanders send Nino Niederreiter back to the W

1. fbkj says:

anybody else incredibly creeped out by spacek’s accent?

2. Corio says:

Weber unfortunately, or Henry, I prefer Henry.

3. pic1983 says:

He needs playing time, and not just a game here or there, but consistent playing time.  Only way he’s going to develop.

At this point we should trade him or waive him, as it looks like he isnt really going to get his chance.

4. TomNickle says:

Henry.

Nash is close.

5. habfan53 says:

After the game Friday Montreal is going to have to make a decision. With Markov coming back the can’t afford (cap) to keep both Picard and O’Byrne in Montreal. As I said yesterday I would rather see Spacek go as I don’t think he will repeat his play from last years playoff run BUT i don’t see them releasing him either. Picard is BY FAR the better of the  better of the three this year.

6. nick says:

Who would folks say is the most NHL ready defenseman out of the Bulldogs?

7. fbkj says:

bell center is between bonaventure and lucien l’allier so… yeah your basically there

8. HNS says:

Another great defensive game by the Habs. Really nice forecheck and backchecking by all. I really like the fact that the guys playing D on the blueline rush to attack the puck to keep it in rather than heading back out too soon to play it safe. Safe=Death……Good job. Now we need to ignite the PP.

9. TomNickle says:

He wouldn’t be stepping on the ice if he weren’t able to considering the millions of dollars at stake for him this coming off-season.

The Habs also wouldn’t jeopardize his health considering they really don’t need him that badly right now and that if he were to sustain further injury any marketability of his services is gone.

You’re reading too much into it.  It’s all good.

10. nick says:

Same here, although I think a little bit of it has to do with Markov’s return.

JM would much rather stick Price in behind Markov on his first night back than have Auld back there.

I can’t explain… It just feels right with Price starting on Markov’s return than having Auld make his debut.

11. Mark C says:

Tom Brady still wears his, he even told the back-up QB to wear one on his plant leg for protection.

12. habaddict_andy says:

I believe that’s not far from the entrance to the Bell Centre on the Ouest side.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

13. Corio says:

No but last train home is at 9:15 so better not miss it!  And Lucien-Lallier is in the Bell Center!  🙂

14. shiram says:

It’s right next to it, a few minutes walk.

Congratulations on the tickets!

15. Corio says:

MAN the media is really prodding Spacek on his age, lackluster play etc.. uncomfortable Spacek?  lol  Poor guy..

16. Hobie Hansen says:

I was more concerned with the “hobbling around” part. It was also mentioned that he hadn’t received clearance from the doctor yet either. That was a pretty gruesome looking injury and he seems to be coming back awfully quick. Just worried about the crown jewel of our Habs….

17. TomNickle says:

Picard playing instead of Hamrlik or Spacek would make it even better.

A trade of one of those two wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

Watch out for Columbus or Colorado.

18. Psycho29 says:

Just a question, has anyone taken the train to a game at the Bell Centre?

I just won 2 tix to Markov’s return on Saturday (Reds right behind the net!) and am considering taking the train from Vaudreuil. How far is the Lucien L’Allier train station from the Bell Centre?

Appreciate your help!!! Best $2 raffle ticket ever!

19. andrewberkshire says:

Exactly.

20. Corio says:

LOL! Love Francois Gagnon’s initial question to Spacek, TO THE POINT!

21. Mark C says:

That is the best looking defense the Habs have had in years. Switching Markov for Picard eats up over 8 minutes of ice per game. Picard is averaging 14:55 minutes of ice time this season, while Markov averaged a cool 23:48 per game last season. This switch will take substantial minutes and pressure off the Hammer/Jaro pairing.

22. habaholic68NJ says:

The New Jaques Martin?

Last year I was highly critical of JM’s coaching style and the “System.”  My problem was that JM had the team giving up the blueline and colapsing around the goalie too easly.  This allowed teams to enter our zone at will and flood us with a barage of shots. When we would finally control the puck in pur zone, the forwards were too deep to effectively break out which allowed the opposing D-men on opprtunity to pinch and keep the pressure on.

I do not see this happening so far this young season.  We are musch better at spraeding our players around, shuting down the middle and holding our ground at the blueline forcing a transition game that plays well with our speed and skill. It is still a defensive system but one that capitalizes on oppertunities.

So has the “System” changed or is this the type of game that JM always wanted but took a full year to condition a defense first mentality that sets up a rapid counterattack?  Has JM changed his ways or is he just a patient genius?

23. TomNickle says:

There are a bunch of reasons.   Here they are…

Eller, Gallagher, Leblanc, Avtsin, Palushaj, White, Pacioretty, Engqvist, Maxwell, Kristo, Trunev.

A couple of them, if not more will be ready within the next three years.  No reason to handcuff your team with a big contract when somebody will be ready to step into the role in that time period.

😉

24. JD_ says:

Meh. If the headline editor had any ballz, they would have written Stanley Cup. For all I know, they really mean Memorial. Or the Canadian Tire® Medicine Hat U14 Co-Ed Hockey and Corndog Blowout.

Besides, any legitimate Cup contender doesn’t need articles written about why they can win the Cup, cause everybody’s already ready pretty much figured it out on their own. No need for folks in lab coats holdin’ clipboards ‘n’ writin’ incomprehensible shiznat on blackboards.

25. nick says:

I agree on all points except for Markov.

His raise is going to depend highly on this season. If you see him hurt as much as he was last season, he shouldn’t be seeing a huge raise. If he plays well and stays healthy… He should get one.

Best bet is to try and resign him as soon as possible. It’s a little insurance for both parties.

26. TomNickle says:

It isn’t really cause for concern.  The brace will give him strength and stability that he wouldn’t have without it.

It will also give him some added protection.

27. habfan53 says:

As for Gill mentoring OB .  Ryan has had 3 years to watch and play with Markov and Hamarlick as well as 1+ years with Gill . The mentoring is over it is time for O’Byrne to step up. He has the tools to do it. Maybe it is a confidence thing he knows if he makes a mistake he rides the pine and he does not play with abandon but is thinking to much.

28. Say Ash says:

Why not long term? Thus far, AK is having a bounceback year like Plekanec did.

29. TomNickle says:

I wouldn’t go that far my friend.

It would be a good opportunity to give Carey a weekend off if Auld shows up in a big way tomorrow night.

I’d play it by ear and if Auld go lights out tomorrow night I’d come back with him Saturday and end it there.

30. Hobie Hansen says:

Oh perfect, you have me convinced he’s ready to go, thanks!

31. Say Ash says:

“Patrick Roy in 1995”

Was that really necessary, Stubbs? I was having a good day until the flashbacks.

32. TomNickle says:

I wore a brace on a rehabbed broken knee for four years following the injury and subsequent rehab.

It’s all about comfort with range of motion.

33. StevieRay says:

Mikey …. found Jesus  ?? I’m still looking for my horse …. !

34. TomNickle says:

Gorges gets $3 million annually.

Markov gets $6 million annually.

Andrei Kostitsyn gets around $4.5 – $5 million on a short term deal if this keeps up.  They won’t sign him long term.

35. andrewberkshire says:

Even if Auld got a 40 save shutout he wouldn’t start against the Panthers. Guaranteed.

36. TomNickle says:

That’s exactly the way it is Shakes.

Actually, PK’s placement is debatable.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see PK with Hamrlik and Spacek with Markov.

37. andrewberkshire says:

Anyone who isn’t wearing a brace after tearing a tendon or ligament and is getting back into intense physical activity is stupid. The fact is sometimes when you tear things, even after surgery, you might have to wear a brace as a precaution for years.

38. TomNickle says:

I don’t think O’Byrne’s gonna see the ice until an injury hits or he gets traded.

I would like to see Spacek traded(for his sake) if his request to be put back on the left side continues to be ignored.  He’s bad on that side of the ice, he knows it, the staff knows it, management knows it, fans know it and most importantly, the opposition knows it.

If he’s on the left side of the ice, Hamrlik is useless because Spacek is better hands down.

There’s no competition between Picard and O’Byrne right now.  Picard’s got it.  Picard has improved, O’Byrne has regressed.

39. jimmy shaker says:

With Marky back won’t Picard be the odd man out?

Marky/PK

Gorges/Gill

Hammer/Spacek

picard/O’byrne extra’s

That’s how I see it,

Shaker

40. Hobie Hansen says:

During the broadcast on TSN last night, everybody’s favorite analyst, Pierre McGuire, stated that he saw Markov hobbling around in a brace and thought he might be rushing things.

Then again, he’s just a know it all and we shouldn’t pay too close attention…

41. pic1983 says:

Even more comical than Mike Brophys piece on sportsnet about Phil Kessel as a potential hart trophy winner.

42. Mark C says:

I do too, plus I think it’s better to start Auld on the road and it gives Price an extra night off. Hey, Gionta and Gomez looked better last night, the goals are going to come and soon unless we’re to believe they’ve both turned into pumpkins over night.

43. forskis says:

With Hammer’s 5.5M cap hit coming off the books…how would you divide it up amongst the FAs (of all kinds) that will need to be resigned.  In my opinion:

An extra 1.5M at Markov;
    An extra 1M at AK46
    An extra 1.5M at Gorges

That leaves 1.5M in cap space to fill whatever gaps the team may have next season.  Also, if I remember correctly, Hal Gill is an FA after this season, I would say re-sign him for 1 or 2 years at the same money and have him mentor OB.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

44. jbroderi says:

you can flip a coin for which game Auld plays, cause it doesn’t really matter, although I like the Friday game for this simple reason.  Too often last year Price never got a chance to redeem himself after a subpar outing.  (the same gooes for Halak as well)  It is better to give price the night off friday after a solid game than to risk him playing poorly on Friday and then having to watch the next game with negative thoughts festering.  Say what you will, but I like the idea of Price sitting after a well earned win, not after an average performance. )I realize he could still win on Friday, but the Saturday start assures him a break with a positive vibe)

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

45. habfan53 says:

TOM   I am not assuming anything what i am saying is that Picard is playing well (+6) O’Byrne knows he is on the bubble and fighting to stay, Meanwhile Spacek arguable the weakest of the three goes to the gym.

This just shows me a little complacency.  Thats all

46. TomNickle says:

I saw the virgin Mary in my pancake this morning.

47. mike g says:

And?…

Nothing wrong with that. It’s the internet.

I’ve seen video’s of people who think they’ve found Jesus.

There’s a saying, “Don’t believe what you see on the internet.”…..

Today, October 28,2010, that saying has been officially confirmed to be true.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

48. TomNickle says:

If they win the Cup you can bet that Pronger will end up with some sort of mysterious back injury that can’t be supported by an x-ray or mri.

It will be on the advice of a chiropractor that he sit out for a year and they’ll get big LTIR dollars.

See:  Hatcher, Rathje.

But they don’t get punished for cap circumvention.

49. habfan53 says:

Actually the latest internet joke is that a guy says that there is a woman in a 1928 Chaplin film (the CIRCUS) that is talking on a cell phone therefore she must be a time traveller .

50. jbroderi says:

We gotta trade O’Byrne.  There is a reason why JM doesn’t trust him.  I think he has a good skill set but he doesn’t seem to have the mental make-up to play in MOntreal.  Just my opinion, and I hope he proves me wrong

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

51. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

I woul have preferred that Auld gets the Saturday start, just ’cause Florida has less fire power.

52. TomNickle says:

Nope.  Auld would have to get a you know what to be in there on Saturday.

53. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

hit ya back

54. TomNickle says:

I’m sorry?  Spacek went down two spots because he wasn’t part of what appears to be an optional skate?

If you’re assuming that one of Picard or O’Byrne are going to be paired with Markov I’d say you’re nuts considering Spacek, Hamrlik, Gill and Gorges weren’t taking part in the skate.

While it’s possible that one of O’Byrne or Picard play with Markov, I highly doubt they’re going to throw O’Byrne in for his first game action in over a week with a guy who hasn’t seen game action since April.

55. emann_222 says:

Don’t know about this Auld move for tomorrow – I was hopping to see the Auld Eagle on Saturday against the Panthers.

Check the NEW POST at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com and leave your thoughts and opinions on who YOU think should be in the net tomorrow night.

Cheers!

56. habfan53 says:

On the ice with Markov, Lars Eller, Mathieu Darche, Alexandre Picard, Ryan O’Byrne and Dustin Boyd.

Anybody see a pattern   Markov getting ready to come back  the other 5 fighting for a spot .  OB just went up a notch and Spacek down 2.

Also I know it was optional but why were the other skaters not on for even 15 minutes practicing deflections OR GOD FORBID the PP

57. mike g says:

If there’s anyone in the NHL who can win 2 Cups by December, it’s Carey Price..

He’s the new Chuck Norris in MTL.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

58. samTHEman says:

NHL has a piece on the homepage : “Why the Leafs can win the Cup”

What a JOKE! You’re talking about a team that hasn’t made the post-season in God knows how long

59. RGM says:

Before December? I think the only Cups he’ll be getting in that timeframe will be the Molson Cup if the fans keep voting for him. 🙂

60. Maksimir says:

I’m looking forward to seeing what Auld can do in net. I hope he doesn’t stink it up.

61. mike g says:

Which is a strong possibility….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

62. habfan53 says:

He has to win 2 cups first.

63. Chuck says:

Does this mean that he won’t be with the team past December?

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

64. StevieRay says:

I think that’s a good thing as there is usually some animosity when 2 teamsplay back to backers …. I’ll have to miss it …. going to the hunting camp for a few nights !!  Maybe Gionta / Gomez will score if I’m not watching… hahahaha

65. MTLForever says:

sent you an email.

66. fbkj says:

yes but it reloads when you refresh or go to another page on HIO

use the ABP add on

67. Nilan4Pres says:

There a spot on the green bubble for the + millions that you can click to get rid of it

68. HabFanSince72 says:

Try the flashblock add-on for firefox.

69. Mark C says:

Word is Auld is starting tomorrow.

70. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I wanted to shout out to the crowd here on HI/O, specifically anyone in Western New York or Southern Ontario area: I have a pair of tickets as well as a single ticket to the November 5th game vs. Buffalo at HSBC Arena. I’m looking for $50 for the single and $120 for the pair, OBO. Had some friends back out… private message me if interested. I’ll post again later.

Great start to the season, really enjoying the exciting style of hockey
    we are seeing. Out of the 9 games played, only the loss to the Devils
    stands out as a boring waste of time. I’ll be leaving tomorrow morning and heading to the No Habs No event down there in Uniondale. Any other posters heading down?

The Hockey God will remain for 6 more years…

71. Billy says:

flying in tonight…. let’s hope they stay at the hotel with a curfew!  too much of chance of a party hard night in manhattan, and then come out flat (and hungover) in long island.

72. Mattyleg says:

Gaaahhh!! This stupid lotto pop-up is driving me NUTS!!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

73. C3P1 says:

does the fact that auld is skating mean that price is expected to start both games over the weekend?

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

Flyers in talks with Carter over new contract.

It could be interesting seeing that Giroux and Leino will also be up for renewal.  It’s a tight cap whn your D makes a collective 25.5M.