Auld tomorrow, Markov Saturday

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Alex Auld | Jaro Spacek

Very quiet morning at the Bell Sports Complex, the Canadiens still basking in the glow of last night’s 5-3 win over the New York Islanders.

Only seven Canadienswere on the ice for a bit of work: goalie Alex Auld, who will get the start on Long Island Friday night, and skaters Andrei Markov, who’ll play his first game of the season against the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre on Saturday, plus Lars Eller, Mathieu Darche, Alexandre Picard, Ryan O’Byrne and Dustin Boyd.

The rest of the crew worked out in the gym.

The team charters this afternoon to Long Island for tomorrow’s game against the Islanders.

• Carey Price became the first Canadiens goaltender to begin a season with nine starts since Patrick Roy in 1995.

• Islanders send Nino Niederreiter back to the W

1. nick says:

Who would folks say is the most NHL ready defenseman out of the Bulldogs?

2. fbkj says:

bell center is between bonaventure and lucien l’allier so… yeah your basically there

3. HNS says:

Another great defensive game by the Habs. Really nice forecheck and backchecking by all. I really like the fact that the guys playing D on the blueline rush to attack the puck to keep it in rather than heading back out too soon to play it safe. Safe=Death……Good job. Now we need to ignite the PP.

4. TomNickle says:

He wouldn’t be stepping on the ice if he weren’t able to considering the millions of dollars at stake for him this coming off-season.

The Habs also wouldn’t jeopardize his health considering they really don’t need him that badly right now and that if he were to sustain further injury any marketability of his services is gone.

You’re reading too much into it.  It’s all good.

5. nick says:

Same here, although I think a little bit of it has to do with Markov’s return.

JM would much rather stick Price in behind Markov on his first night back than have Auld back there.

I can’t explain… It just feels right with Price starting on Markov’s return than having Auld make his debut.

6. Mark C says:

Tom Brady still wears his, he even told the back-up QB to wear one on his plant leg for protection.

7. habaddict_andy says:

I believe that’s not far from the entrance to the Bell Centre on the Ouest side.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

8. Corio says:

No but last train home is at 9:15 so better not miss it!  And Lucien-Lallier is in the Bell Center!  :)

9. shiram says:

It’s right next to it, a few minutes walk.

Congratulations on the tickets!

10. Corio says:

MAN the media is really prodding Spacek on his age, lackluster play etc.. uncomfortable Spacek?  lol  Poor guy..

11. Hobie Hansen says:

I was more concerned with the “hobbling around” part. It was also mentioned that he hadn’t received clearance from the doctor yet either. That was a pretty gruesome looking injury and he seems to be coming back awfully quick. Just worried about the crown jewel of our Habs….

12. TomNickle says:

Picard playing instead of Hamrlik or Spacek would make it even better.

A trade of one of those two wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

Watch out for Columbus or Colorado.

13. Psycho29 says:

Just a question, has anyone taken the train to a game at the Bell Centre?

I just won 2 tix to Markov’s return on Saturday (Reds right behind the net!) and am considering taking the train from Vaudreuil. How far is the Lucien L’Allier train station from the Bell Centre?

Appreciate your help!!! Best $2 raffle ticket ever!

14. andrewberkshire says:

Exactly.

15. Corio says:

LOL! Love Francois Gagnon’s initial question to Spacek, TO THE POINT!

16. Mark C says:

That is the best looking defense the Habs have had in years. Switching Markov for Picard eats up over 8 minutes of ice per game. Picard is averaging 14:55 minutes of ice time this season, while Markov averaged a cool 23:48 per game last season. This switch will take substantial minutes and pressure off the Hammer/Jaro pairing.

17. habaholic68NJ says:

The New Jaques Martin?

Last year I was highly critical of JM’s coaching style and the “System.”  My problem was that JM had the team giving up the blueline and colapsing around the goalie too easly.  This allowed teams to enter our zone at will and flood us with a barage of shots. When we would finally control the puck in pur zone, the forwards were too deep to effectively break out which allowed the opposing D-men on opprtunity to pinch and keep the pressure on.

I do not see this happening so far this young season.  We are musch better at spraeding our players around, shuting down the middle and holding our ground at the blueline forcing a transition game that plays well with our speed and skill. It is still a defensive system but one that capitalizes on oppertunities.

So has the “System” changed or is this the type of game that JM always wanted but took a full year to condition a defense first mentality that sets up a rapid counterattack?  Has JM changed his ways or is he just a patient genius?

18. TomNickle says:

There are a bunch of reasons.   Here they are…

Eller, Gallagher, Leblanc, Avtsin, Palushaj, White, Pacioretty, Engqvist, Maxwell, Kristo, Trunev.

A couple of them, if not more will be ready within the next three years.  No reason to handcuff your team with a big contract when somebody will be ready to step into the role in that time period.

;)

19. JD_ says:

Meh. If the headline editor had any ballz, they would have written Stanley Cup. For all I know, they really mean Memorial. Or the Canadian Tire® Medicine Hat U14 Co-Ed Hockey and Corndog Blowout.

Besides, any legitimate Cup contender doesn’t need articles written about why they can win the Cup, cause everybody’s already ready pretty much figured it out on their own. No need for folks in lab coats holdin’ clipboards ‘n’ writin’ incomprehensible shiznat on blackboards.

20. nick says:

I agree on all points except for Markov.

His raise is going to depend highly on this season. If you see him hurt as much as he was last season, he shouldn’t be seeing a huge raise. If he plays well and stays healthy… He should get one.

Best bet is to try and resign him as soon as possible. It’s a little insurance for both parties.

21. TomNickle says:

It isn’t really cause for concern.  The brace will give him strength and stability that he wouldn’t have without it.

It will also give him some added protection.

22. habfan53 says:

As for Gill mentoring OB .  Ryan has had 3 years to watch and play with Markov and Hamarlick as well as 1+ years with Gill . The mentoring is over it is time for O’Byrne to step up. He has the tools to do it. Maybe it is a confidence thing he knows if he makes a mistake he rides the pine and he does not play with abandon but is thinking to much.

23. Say Ash says:

Why not long term? Thus far, AK is having a bounceback year like Plekanec did.

24. TomNickle says:

I wouldn’t go that far my friend.

It would be a good opportunity to give Carey a weekend off if Auld shows up in a big way tomorrow night.

I’d play it by ear and if Auld go lights out tomorrow night I’d come back with him Saturday and end it there.

25. Hobie Hansen says:

Oh perfect, you have me convinced he’s ready to go, thanks!

26. Say Ash says:

“Patrick Roy in 1995″

Was that really necessary, Stubbs? I was having a good day until the flashbacks.

27. TomNickle says:

I wore a brace on a rehabbed broken knee for four years following the injury and subsequent rehab.

It’s all about comfort with range of motion.

28. StevieRay says:

Mikey …. found Jesus  ?? I’m still looking for my horse …. !

29. TomNickle says:

Gorges gets $3 million annually.

Markov gets $6 million annually.

Andrei Kostitsyn gets around $4.5 – $5 million on a short term deal if this keeps up.  They won’t sign him long term.

30. andrewberkshire says:

Even if Auld got a 40 save shutout he wouldn’t start against the Panthers. Guaranteed.

31. TomNickle says:

That’s exactly the way it is Shakes.

Actually, PK’s placement is debatable.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see PK with Hamrlik and Spacek with Markov.

32. andrewberkshire says:

Anyone who isn’t wearing a brace after tearing a tendon or ligament and is getting back into intense physical activity is stupid. The fact is sometimes when you tear things, even after surgery, you might have to wear a brace as a precaution for years.

33. TomNickle says:

I don’t think O’Byrne’s gonna see the ice until an injury hits or he gets traded.

I would like to see Spacek traded(for his sake) if his request to be put back on the left side continues to be ignored.  He’s bad on that side of the ice, he knows it, the staff knows it, management knows it, fans know it and most importantly, the opposition knows it.

If he’s on the left side of the ice, Hamrlik is useless because Spacek is better hands down.

There’s no competition between Picard and O’Byrne right now.  Picard’s got it.  Picard has improved, O’Byrne has regressed.

34. jimmy shaker says:

With Marky back won’t Picard be the odd man out?

Marky/PK

Gorges/Gill

Hammer/Spacek

picard/O’byrne extra’s

That’s how I see it,

Shaker

35. Hobie Hansen says:

During the broadcast on TSN last night, everybody’s favorite analyst, Pierre McGuire, stated that he saw Markov hobbling around in a brace and thought he might be rushing things.

Then again, he’s just a know it all and we shouldn’t pay too close attention…

36. pic1983 says:

Even more comical than Mike Brophys piece on sportsnet about Phil Kessel as a potential hart trophy winner.

37. Mark C says:

I do too, plus I think it’s better to start Auld on the road and it gives Price an extra night off. Hey, Gionta and Gomez looked better last night, the goals are going to come and soon unless we’re to believe they’ve both turned into pumpkins over night.

38. forskis says:

With Hammer’s 5.5M cap hit coming off the books…how would you divide it up amongst the FAs (of all kinds) that will need to be resigned.  In my opinion:

An extra 1.5M at Markov;
    An extra 1M at AK46
    An extra 1.5M at Gorges

That leaves 1.5M in cap space to fill whatever gaps the team may have next season.  Also, if I remember correctly, Hal Gill is an FA after this season, I would say re-sign him for 1 or 2 years at the same money and have him mentor OB.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

39. jbroderi says:

you can flip a coin for which game Auld plays, cause it doesn’t really matter, although I like the Friday game for this simple reason.  Too often last year Price never got a chance to redeem himself after a subpar outing.  (the same gooes for Halak as well)  It is better to give price the night off friday after a solid game than to risk him playing poorly on Friday and then having to watch the next game with negative thoughts festering.  Say what you will, but I like the idea of Price sitting after a well earned win, not after an average performance. )I realize he could still win on Friday, but the Saturday start assures him a break with a positive vibe)

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

40. habfan53 says:

TOM   I am not assuming anything what i am saying is that Picard is playing well (+6) O’Byrne knows he is on the bubble and fighting to stay, Meanwhile Spacek arguable the weakest of the three goes to the gym.

This just shows me a little complacency.  Thats all

41. TomNickle says:

I saw the virgin Mary in my pancake this morning.

42. mike g says:

And?…

Nothing wrong with that. It’s the internet.

I’ve seen video’s of people who think they’ve found Jesus.

There’s a saying, “Don’t believe what you see on the internet.”…..

Today, October 28,2010, that saying has been officially confirmed to be true.

43. TomNickle says:

If they win the Cup you can bet that Pronger will end up with some sort of mysterious back injury that can’t be supported by an x-ray or mri.

It will be on the advice of a chiropractor that he sit out for a year and they’ll get big LTIR dollars.

See:  Hatcher, Rathje.

But they don’t get punished for cap circumvention.

44. habfan53 says:

Actually the latest internet joke is that a guy says that there is a woman in a 1928 Chaplin film (the CIRCUS) that is talking on a cell phone therefore she must be a time traveller .

45. jbroderi says:

We gotta trade O’Byrne.  There is a reason why JM doesn’t trust him.  I think he has a good skill set but he doesn’t seem to have the mental make-up to play in MOntreal.  Just my opinion, and I hope he proves me wrong

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

46. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

I woul have preferred that Auld gets the Saturday start, just ’cause Florida has less fire power.

47. TomNickle says:

Nope.  Auld would have to get a you know what to be in there on Saturday.

48. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

hit ya back

49. TomNickle says:

I’m sorry?  Spacek went down two spots because he wasn’t part of what appears to be an optional skate?

If you’re assuming that one of Picard or O’Byrne are going to be paired with Markov I’d say you’re nuts considering Spacek, Hamrlik, Gill and Gorges weren’t taking part in the skate.

While it’s possible that one of O’Byrne or Picard play with Markov, I highly doubt they’re going to throw O’Byrne in for his first game action in over a week with a guy who hasn’t seen game action since April.

50. emann_222 says:

Don’t know about this Auld move for tomorrow – I was hopping to see the Auld Eagle on Saturday against the Panthers.

Check the NEW POST at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com and leave your thoughts and opinions on who YOU think should be in the net tomorrow night.

Cheers!

51. habfan53 says:

On the ice with Markov, Lars Eller, Mathieu Darche, Alexandre Picard, Ryan O’Byrne and Dustin Boyd.

Anybody see a pattern   Markov getting ready to come back  the other 5 fighting for a spot .  OB just went up a notch and Spacek down 2.

Also I know it was optional but why were the other skaters not on for even 15 minutes practicing deflections OR GOD FORBID the PP

52. mike g says:

If there’s anyone in the NHL who can win 2 Cups by December, it’s Carey Price..

He’s the new Chuck Norris in MTL.

53. samTHEman says:

NHL has a piece on the homepage : “Why the Leafs can win the Cup”

What a JOKE! You’re talking about a team that hasn’t made the post-season in God knows how long

54. RGM says:

Before December? I think the only Cups he’ll be getting in that timeframe will be the Molson Cup if the fans keep voting for him. :)

55. Maksimir says:

I’m looking forward to seeing what Auld can do in net. I hope he doesn’t stink it up.

56. mike g says:

Which is a strong possibility….

57. habfan53 says:

He has to win 2 cups first.

58. Chuck says:

Does this mean that he won’t be with the team past December?

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

59. StevieRay says:

I think that’s a good thing as there is usually some animosity when 2 teamsplay back to backers …. I’ll have to miss it …. going to the hunting camp for a few nights !!  Maybe Gionta / Gomez will score if I’m not watching… hahahaha

60. MTLForever says:

sent you an email.

61. fbkj says:

yes but it reloads when you refresh or go to another page on HIO

use the ABP add on

62. Nilan4Pres says:

There a spot on the green bubble for the + millions that you can click to get rid of it

63. HabFanSince72 says:

Try the flashblock add-on for firefox.

64. Mark C says:

Word is Auld is starting tomorrow.

65. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I wanted to shout out to the crowd here on HI/O, specifically anyone in Western New York or Southern Ontario area: I have a pair of tickets as well as a single ticket to the November 5th game vs. Buffalo at HSBC Arena. I’m looking for $50 for the single and $120 for the pair, OBO. Had some friends back out… private message me if interested. I’ll post again later.

Great start to the season, really enjoying the exciting style of hockey
    we are seeing. Out of the 9 games played, only the loss to the Devils
    stands out as a boring waste of time. I’ll be leaving tomorrow morning and heading to the No Habs No event down there in Uniondale. Any other posters heading down?

The Hockey God will remain for 6 more years…

66. Billy says:

flying in tonight…. let’s hope they stay at the hotel with a curfew!  too much of chance of a party hard night in manhattan, and then come out flat (and hungover) in long island.

67. Mattyleg says:

Gaaahhh!! This stupid lotto pop-up is driving me NUTS!!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

68. C3P1 says:

does the fact that auld is skating mean that price is expected to start both games over the weekend?

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

Flyers in talks with Carter over new contract.

It could be interesting seeing that Giroux and Leino will also be up for renewal.  It’s a tight cap whn your D makes a collective 25.5M.

70. Storm Man says:

Alot of QB’S are doing that.

71. Storm Man says:

Knee braces do add protection in a very big way. Most linemen in football wear them, I’ve seen bent knee braces come off the field and the guy is not hurt.

72. nick says:

Regarding the Halak / Eller – Schultz deal…

These guys the Habs acquired are way too young. You won’t be able to say if it’s a good deal or not until these boys play a season or two. Ellers played 9 games and is doing great… Schultz hasn’t even made the NHL yet. I’d like to remind folks that in a short visit, D’Agostini scored 5 goals in 5 games… We all know how well that worked out.

Eller looks great, and very promising. It’ll take a season or so to know what MTL has really gotten in return. Heck the same goes the Blues. Last season was Halak’s only real full season at NHL level, so far he’s on track for a great season, but ya never know.

73. SLONCOLD says:

doesn’t add protection…..

74. SLONCOLD says:

ah andrew. ever tear an acl? go read a report on what acl braces do and dont do. an acl brace serves no protection against future injuries. the amount of force required to tear the ligament is far greater than what the brace will support.

an acl brace(i have one) acts more as a mental aid to help people not be reckless.

75. Corio says:

Auld in nets Sat!

76. observer says:

Irregardless of what he says, Auld is trying to steal Carey Price’s job from him.

77. mike g says:

Maybe Chicago?

They’ve got some good prospects, but I think the only guy the Habs would be able to get from VAN is Bieksa.

He’s a UFA also, and I don’t see VAN keeping him much longer. Poeple there are all over him.

I’d take him for OB anyday of the week, but it would cost us more, not sure how much more but more.

The thing is, do you wanna trade for another d-man when we’ll already have 7?

78. TomNickle says:

I would also like to note that TSN had us in on Kovalchuk.  Then we came to find out that Gainey made a feeler call like 20 minutes before he was dealt.

79. SeriousFan09 says:

Dude, never, ever trade for a guy that Columbus drafted if his name isn’t Rick Nash.

They bust more often than a dyslexic man at a blackjack table.

80. TomNickle says:

As long as it isn’t Salo I’d be pleased.

81. TomNickle says:

Kris Russell is a very good hockey player Robert.

82. mike g says:

LOL, you and Tom got that one..

And then they’d all become best friends and live happily ever after.

83. mike g says:

Yea…

I don’t like guys who block shots with their go-nads..

It makes my eyes rain.

84. mike g says:

Derrick Brassard’s gonna be one heck of a centerman in 2 years…

You watch, oh you watch!!

That kid raped the Q at 16 years old.

Give him time, he’s been injured. 2 years, and they’ve got Rick Nash a friend, finally.

Give Columbus 120 more years, and they’ve got a Cup, maybe.

85. SeriousFan09 says:

On the whole, Columbus has a terrible draft record though. Leclaire in 2001, Zherdev in 2003, the other Alex Picard in 2004, Brule in 2005 and more. MTL management had Columbus’s record with high picks and it would be hard to find any defenders for what went on. Only time they slam-dunked it was Nash with 1st overall in 2002.

86. SeriousFan09 says:

Didn’t they draft Ryan Johansen this year for “find Rick Nash a center who can skate and handle the puck at the same time” duties? I’m dubious on star quality coming out of the Q.

87. TomNickle says:

Kris Russell is a very good hockey player Robert.  :)

They do have assets.  Draft record might not be great but that’s what you get with Doug Maclean.

Florida?  LOL

88. nick says:

Fair enough. They also said the Habs were trying to sign Cammellari, and Gionta…

89. SeriousFan09 says:

They have assets but when you’ve had the opportunity to select in the Top 10 of the draft as often as they have… it’s an ugly record. They should have at least a top line from those drafting options and a Top-2 defender but they don’t at present

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

He should’ve stuck with #91. ;-)

91. HFX-HabFan says:

Filatov-Brassard-Voracek isn’t a bad second line to have moving forward.  All those guys have 70 point potential at the NHL level.

92. TomNickle says:

Vancouver would have to shed salary

93. SeriousFan09 says:

That reference was more towards EDM than the Canucks and I keep forgetting VAN has Ballard on their team for some reason, oops.

94. TomNickle says:

If we could swing a deal for Erhoff, I’d love it.  Perfect fit.  Great shot that almost always seems to make it’s way through traffic.

I thought Vancouver stole him from San Jose.

95. mike g says:

I like a deal with EDM…

Trade OB for Gilbert Brule.

Right handed shot, 6th overall pick who hasn’t lived up to the hype, but can PERHAPS be the solution to the Gomez/Gionta line.

He’s playing 3rd/4th line in EDM, and might benefit from a change of scenery. Apparently they’re willing to trade him, according to numerous Oilers followers.

I would do it…

96. mike g says:

I think a report came out yesterday that they were close to signing a new deal for him….

Cuz he’s a UFA after the year.

Anyways, he’s been real good in VAN. Highly doubt they’d let him go.

97. TomNickle says:

Haha.  That trade would give us the #4, #5 and #6 picks from the 2005 draft.

98. doogmac says:

then we would have the 4th, 5th, and 6th overall picks from that draft lol

99. nick says:

PG was at the Vancouver / Chicago game earlier this week. TSN said he was looking into D men.

The the Habs could target Kopitar.

101. TomNickle says:

Comments like that spark hatred toward Gomez.

Might be justified when you bring up a name like that.

102. TomNickle says:

Edler would be a welcome addition but I think they might have it the other way around.

103. SLONCOLD says:

well hammerlik is gone next year so who replaces him? not sure trading obyrne will really get u anything

104. TomNickle says:

I smell a trade coming from Pierre Gauthier.  A high number of scouts in town at recent games and the expected return of Markov leave us with……

Markov, Subban, Hamrlik, Spacek, Gill, Gorges, Picard and O’Byrne.

Brendon Nash is very close to ready and could easily be used in spot duty at this level if an injury were to strike.

So, with all of that said, what defenseman do you expect to see moved, to whom and for what.

Personally.  I see a trade with Columbus or Colorado based on need and financial flexibility on their parts(also helps that they’re in the West) for a mid round pick.

105. SeriousFan09 says:

I think OB will get shuffled for a team that thinks they can make him the bruising defencemen he isn’t consistently for MTL, perhaps VAN or EDM (who could use ANYTHING on their blue line).

106. mike g says:

I’d let O’Byrne go….

In the 3+ years that he’s supposed and expected to be and/or become a regular on this team, he’s done nothing to convince anyone.

At lease if he’d be playing physical we could still hope for him to become a tough d-man.

But it’s not in him to be that type of guy. And I’ve had enough of him pretending/trying to play physical every blue moon and looking like a total weakling. It’s embarassing.

Send him packing, please.

107. TomNickle says:

Mid round pick for O’Byrne.

Emelin replaces Hamrlik next season(fingers crossed)

108. StevieRay says:

And Bask they should . Good around effort last nite ..I’ll even cut Gomez some slack .. he looked more involved. It appears this year in thh NHL most of the goals will come second and third trys ..close in .battling for the puck so it was nice to see him “get involved” … Gionta is defiantely ” squezzing ” the old Sherwood but G & G are getting close ….

I’d like to see Price get a game off. 9 in a row..and he’s worked hard but  giving up 3 ..although not blaming him….may be in his head ..

109. JD_ says:

Ok. I’ll bite.

What’s squezzin’ and why is Gionta bein’ so damned defiant about it?

110. nick says:

If anything was going to get in his head, it would have been the 3-0 loss to NJ.

He managed… Came back and got a shut out.

I wouldn’t worry about him right now.

111. habfan53 says:

to Mark C    Thanks for clearing up the cap situation I thought once on the LTIR the salary would be deducted

112. Mark C says:

No prob, it’s really tricky. If you have time check out the below link, it helps explain much better than I did. Had adding Picard pushed Montreal over the cap limit, Markov would have been placed on LTIR.

113. SeriousFan09 says:

Ian Schultz had and I would say won his first fight in the AHL a few days ago, ignore the fog horn call from the play by play caller and it’s the 2nd tilt of the game, Schultz wearing #44 in this vid.

114. mike g says:

I like….

115. JD_ says:

“Schultz in his first professional fight.”

Had to laugh at that.

Nice haymaker. Looks like he can switch to southpaw. If so, watch out.

116. REB says:

Everybody remember something….Lafleur wasn’t that hotshot a player until his 4th year, when he just exploded.  Why not give brother Andrei a chance, and see if maybe the same type of thing happens?

117. Gormdog says:

Without a doubt the aforementionned things are true, BUT, as a professional the LEAST your employer can ask of you is to give 100% effort. I, like Mike, cringe at the thought of AK putting in 30+ this year and asking/expecting not-quite-15 million over 3 years.

Distracted or not, we’ve seen AK proove over and over again that he is a great player when he wants to be – and isn’t that the exact culture management is trying to purge from the team?

Yes, he is focused now, and playing well, with no distractions… But what happens, after we sign him to a gaudy contract, when another distraction comes up? He has shown over and over again that he is unable to play through distraction, and since he isn’t the Kostitsyn who got shipped to Music City, there WILL be more distractions – mark my words.

118. The M says:

ooooorrr AK only plays for a contract… which is the more obvious reason ignoring the tabloid BS which you bring up here… other than his wife and kid here that makes a difference. his brother is no excuse for being that terrible of a hockey player

as soon as he gets a new contract you can expect a drop off to a level in between where he is now and last year

119. Gormdog says:

It’s funny though… The shipping away of SK couln’t have been better timed…. In the sense that… I’ve always thought, as well as many other posters it seems, that AK was a loafer style player. All the skills, some of the effort, none of the heart. We see this in his play day in day out when he is invisible for weeks at a time and makes you pull your hair out.

Maybe PG can convince some trigger happy GM that SK and the rest o’ the family situation REALLY WAS the issue at hand instead oh AK’s unwillingess to play hard and fast most of the time.

120. kempie says:

Watching Dre play so far this year and get off to such a spectacular fast start and play such a complete game, it’s made me wonder just how much of a d1ck Sergei really was on the bench and in the room. From what I’ve seen this year, I have to conclude that the distraction factor was pretty significant. I doubt that Andrei was the only one affected by Sergei’s circus. I consider it a huge victory that, not only did PG unload the guy, but he managed to get, in return, Dustin Boyd AND ANDREI KOSTITSYN!!!!!! Welcome back Andrei!

121. SeriousFan09 says:

Last season Tomas Plekanec was ‘playing for a contract’ according to some and a total bum that shouldn’t have been re-signed for a 1-year deal he apparently wasn’t worth. There are plenty of players who have played poorly in contract years as well despite them being ‘all about the money’.

When you’re trying to keep your brother, who you grew up with out of trouble and make sure he doesn’t ruin his life than hockey can sometimes seem of somewhat secondary importance.

122. Bob Barker says:

AK46 is entering his fourth full season with the Habs, which is usually the year most players breakout. I’m sure the fact it’s a contract year is extra motivation but I doubt it’s the sole factor behind AK46’s improved play.

Also, he’ll probably only be looking for a one year contract anyway because he’ll be UFA eligible in 2012.

123. Rudy says:

I’m pretty sure his wife and daughter came over 2 years ago, but SK was living with them, so I do agree with that distraction.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

124. The M says:

AK has had one good season (CONTRACT YEAR) and one good start to a season (CONTRACT YEAR).  Other than that he was a brutal draft pick by the Habs and otherwise just a terrible hockey player.  Lots of players also have excellent years in their contract year.  If you look at Plekanec, he was average for his RFA and excellent in his UFA year.  Plekanec also has a huge heart and tried his best even when he wasn’t playing well, unlike AK who loafed around for the last two seasons.

I don’t get caught up in tabloid junk involving SK and his mafia ties blah blah whine who cares.. I judge the Canadiens on their ability to play hockey and what they do on the ice.

125. habfan53 says:

Looking at 2 old transactions that effect this team  NOW

1-  Rivet to SJ for Gorges  at the time who did not say Josh who?

2-  Souray departs for Edmonton sign Hamarlik from Edmonton  for same money

126. mike g says:

Yup..

Rivet was dealt for Josh and a 1st rounder, which got us Pacioretty.

And I’d take Hammr over Sourray all day long.

127. TomNickle says:

From Calgary, but yeah.

128. TomNickle says:

This could address the O’Byrne/Spacek/Hamrlik/whoever else you can think of for a second line winger.

129. habfan53 says:

Just a thought     ANGELO ESPOSITO  Where are you

130. mike g says:

In Chicago, AHL…

He belongs to Atlanta now.

Last year he sliced a tendon in his ankle.

Funny you ask about him, because I grew up playing against him. When it was his draft year, I was hoping the Habs wouldn’t take him. He was projected to be a 1st overall pick, and fell to #16 on draft day.

He was always a very, very fast player growing up. Lightning speed, which helped him score alot. But he was a weak player, easy to contain in you got physical with him. He didn’t like the physical play and wouldn’t wanna get his noze dirty. Also has a history of concussion problems.

Too bad.

131. RGM says:

The first line is producing. Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn has produced nearly half of the team’s goals.

The second line is where things need to get going – they need to stop with the seemingly endless “auditions” and pick a guy, put him there for 5 or 6 games, and let things develop.

132. habaholic68NJ says:

The last thiing we should do is break up one of the hottest lines in the NHL that is winnig us games.

133. StevieRay says:

I’m not in agreement about breaking up our top line . Last nite also showed that the second  line ( G & G ) are getting going … Darche and Halphern did play together in Tampa which showed last nite… Eller is improving .. so I think the lines are starting to jell and G&G will have to play through it ubtil they breakout ..whic I feel confident they will .

Having said that .. what’s wrong with having a great # 1 line .. maybe instead of all this top 6 chatter we need to talk top 3 . Most teams only have 1 go to line anyway .

134. dbens says:

I know the habs are playing well and there is no reason to alter the lineup….BUT….

If there was a reason to get the first 2 lines to produce why not try something like this…

gomer gio cammy- proved to have worked well in the past im sure they can become a solid scoring line

ak46 pleky and pouliot- this will give major size and pleky will have plenty of room to work with not to mention 2 (unproven? maybe not ak) finishers that will be motivated to go to the net

just my 2cents

135. habfan53 says:

You’re right I stand corrected

136. MTLForever says:

Auld is in net tomorrow.

137. andrewberkshire says:

What the hell is going on with Mathieu Carle this year in Hamilton? He’s finally looking like he’s getting over the injuries and he gets 1 point in 7 games while Weber and Nash are lighting it up. Very disappointing as last year he looked NHL ready in his call-up.

138. SeriousFan09 says:

Haven’t seen a game beyond last Sunday’s Barons-Bulldogs match so I couldn’t say for certain but unfortunately, he’s looking like he won’t be a rising player in the organization. Too many injuries, too early preventing him from growing his game he was supposed to?

Also, where’s your avatar Andrew?

139. JD_ says:

You may not want that last question answered.

140. JD_ says:

Oh, it’s prepared alright.

141. punkster says:

Punchy’s setting us up for the Great Trademark Unveiling (GTU™) that will likely appear this weekend about the time the Great Pumpkin makes his rounds. Non-believers may scoff but you’ll see, you’ll see, you’ll all see…mmuuhhahahaha

142. andrewberkshire says:

With JD_ and Punkster employed as my official hype-inducers, I’m not sure I can live up to all this.

143. andrewberkshire says:

There, finally working.

144. Gormdog says:

I see some discussion below about what kind of money we should sign AK to…

Are you guys HIGH? AK is clearly a world class floater who is pulling out all the stops for a juicy contract… Nothing more. Those who claim Sergei was a distraction might have a leg to stand on, but in my books, no amount of distraction should lead a player to NOT TRY.

Clearly from the play we see out of AK now, he could have given us much, much, much more last season. And previous seasons. If we sign him to anything remotely multi-year, it shows that the organization has the memory of a red white and blue goldfish. The only way we sign this guy to a contract beyond a one year deal has to be a sign-and-trade where we receive a player in return who gives it all regardless of how bad his last haircut was or how poorly his brother is being treated.

I love what i’m seeing out of AK now but it just drives me crazy to think what we could have accomplished with THIS AK last season instead of Slow-valev 2.0.

Ak is in it for the money. We got fooled once signing him to a multi-year deal. If i’m PG i’m shopping him to every team in the NHL.

145. SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, some people do love to rain on a parade.

Andrei’s been trying to keep his brother out of trouble and deal with the division in the locker room for two years that his brother created, that distracts people and when you have to play in the fastest sport in the world that requires absolute focus, it is a detriment. His wife and child didn’t move in to Montreal until this season either so now he finally has his family in the same house and continent that he lives in and his distracting brother is no longer his responsibility so with that it is likely he is a little better able to focus on playing hockey.

A shaky personal life affects people doing the most mundane tasks and when you’re trying to focus on NHL hockey, chances are these kinds of things aren’t something you can easily brush aside.

146. mike g says:

Yea…

If I was PG, even if AK keeps up all this Belarussian magic, my hand would still be shaking when I’d have to sign a deal worth 4-5 mill per year.

I’m really worried about that guy.

147. joeybarrie says:

I don’t agree with what your saying about AK. Now I was frustrated with him last season, and he certainly didn;t look like a guy who cared to me. BUT, AK has averaged 47 points per season on 82 games in each of his first 3 years with us. Highest was with L’Artiste and his goal production has been pretty much the exact same all three years based on games played. (26, 27, 22 based on 82 games played)

He is a streaky player and I don’t think we should give up on him. He is seeing alot of production and results now based on his hard work. He is 25 and has enjoyed 3 full season in the NHL. He has seen his brother sent around for his attitude and HOPEFULLY he now sees what happens when things go right.

For me we see how we does the rest of the season, and then we offer him a short term contract for a modest raise. 3.25 million dollars was based on his 53 point season and his capability to score 30 goals. So to me you give him 3.75 for the years he has left as a RFA and see if he can keep it up. I don’t know if he can see himself getting much more, but after that you tell him how much he is worth if he has 3 seasons of 30+ goals. In this market 4-5 million.

I think the concussion he got in 2008 really spooked his play. I think he is only now ready to commit to doing what he has to in order to be successful. To me as some posters point out, he is happy. I cannot imagine why we wouldn’t give him a chence to make it work. To me he only had last season as a disappointment, and again he is not considered a veteran yet. So to me we give him a shot to prove his long term worth.

I think coming into his contract season he will learn that life is much better when he is doing well. His age suggests that he is now looking to settle into a life and if this is how it is when things are good, why wouldn’t I want this all the time. His brother is gone, and he has only him and his family to think about right now.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

148. joeybarrie says:

Markov back just in time. November could be a tough month. We play PHILLY twice, Boston, Vancouver, Toronto, Nashville and LA. With only Carolina in between them. Tough 2 weeks… This will give Marky 5 games to get back to his old self. CAUSE WERE GONNA NEED HIM.

Fix the PP, and get the GG line going and we can win 4 out of 7, and go 8 for 13.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

149. JF says:

If our powerplay were working, last night’s game wouldn’t even have been close, that’s how dominant we were. But against a stronger team with a functioning powerplay, we’ll be in trouble.

The penalty kill also has to be better than it was last night.  Make it one of our objectives for tomorrow night not to let the Islanders score a powerplay goal, starting by staying out of the box as much as possible.  We gave them four powerplays last night (the one on Spacek was a fictional call); we need to do better than that.

150. andrewberkshire says:

The roughing penalty on Subban was also a fictional call, as in truth PK was being interfered with, he didn’t rough anyone.

151. mike g says:

Is anyone else affraid of AK?….

I was thinking about this last week, and someone posted it below.

I’m not affraid of him fighting me or anything. But his contract situation is one that I’d honestly lose sleep over if I was PG.

Are we crazy to give him 5 mill per year if he scores 30+ this year?

Are we crazy to trade him, and watch him score somewhere else?

There are so many possibilities with him. He can become a reliable producer, just like he can turn off the switch and laugh at us straight to the bank.

AK, you Belarussian bastard, you scare me. You and your accent, very scary….

152. Mark C says:

Glad to know I wasn’t the only to think this.

153. Gormdog says:

If you blanked out his face you would LITERALLY not recognize him in the slightest if you compare last year and this year. He is lookin scary good out there, but i would never sign him to 5+. He’s shown more ability to turn it “Off” than “on” in my humble opinion.

Could this be the kiss of death?  Hey, we’re only  ten games into the season and it was Lou who created the mess – not MacLean.

Poolies – Hossa out for two weeks.

155. joeybarrie says:

Tuomo Ruutu at 3.8 million

Nathan Horton at 4 million

Joe Pavelski at 4 million

Ryan Clowe at 3.65 million

Antoine Vermette at 3.75 million

These seem to be comparable to AK so I don’t see why we would pay more.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

156. Gormdog says:

There is a lot of speculation (and more than speculation) to suggest that top flight players are not particularly willing to come play in Montreal… But i feel like Plecky might change that culture just a bit.

Wouldn’t YOU, as a top flight scorer, want to have a guy like Plecks centering you? If you can pull the trigger that’s at least 5-10 freebies like the one Moen scored last night. Works hard every night, makes the guys around him better, never hogs the spotlight.

With his epic tape-to-air-to-tape passes, makes you wonder how many goals Cammi would score if he was able to take and hold position in front of the net… A guy like Rick Nash must wastch Habs highlights and go “Sweet mother of mary the things i could do with a center like that…”

157. Storm Man says:

I don’t see that is a problem anymore having good UFA’S coming to Montreal. Cammy and Gio ect are very happy here.

158. SmartDog says:

This is one of my favorite posts EVER.

I agree about Pleks.  THIS is a guy who can pass.  He doesn’t toss it at people’s feet.  He puts it on their sticks.  He doesn’t flick it at them when he’s in trouble.  He’s patient.  He times is for when they can score with it.

And yes, I think otherplayers around the league probably look at him like they would look at one of the elite top centers and say they’d like to play with him.  Reminds me a bit of one of my favorite players from a long while back: Adam Oates.  Amazing passer. But Pleks is in some ways even a more complete player.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

159. andrewberkshire says:

Hey Tim, that Global Killers team is looking like the NJ Devils this week!

160. GrimJim says:

The problem is someone (read: Sather) will offer him 5 mil, or maybe even more. So the decision becomes do you pay or do you let him walk and risk (a) losing a potential 30 goal scorer and (b) having to listen to the arm-chair GMs complaining that the HAbs got nothing for him?

161. GrimJim says:

In the wild and crazy idea category…

What does the Commentariat think of the idea of jump-starting the PP by putting Hal Gill in front of the net?

162. Mrhab24 says:

Do we not give OB another chance, could he not grow into the solid stay at home DMan we want him to be? Or is it time to give up?

…I’m on a horse!

163. The M says:

BAD

its ok to have a big body, as long as they have some hands

i have better hnds than Gill

164. andrewberkshire says:

Hate that idea. He wouldn’t even know what to do. Heard McGuire suggest that on TSN last night, just shows how terrible he was as a coach. Pointed to Chara as a guy who does that at times, like Chara and Gill are comparable offensively, what a joke.

165. savethepuck says:

too much worrying about our pp here. Markov is back, which will make a difference.  PP’s are streaky anyway, we just happened to have a slump during a period we went 6-2-1( I’m OK with that ). We got got a goal at the tail end of the pp the other night which did not count against our stats but was basically a pp goal and the biggest problem with our pp is that we are constantly taking penalties 30 seconds to 1 minute into our pps.  I have no idea how that affects stats and I don’t care anyway. STATS don’t win hockey games, the final score does.

166. TripleX says:

You need someone hard to move out and with superior eye to hand coordination.  I suggest AK because he is built like a tank and has great hands. Hard not to notice how effective the Islanders PP was because they had a big body in front.  That is what I don’t get about JM, he says the right things but the PP never changes?

Markov will of course help but he is a setup guy.  With no MAB or Streit to setup for onetimers it means the PP needs some adjustments.  How about  a forward with a great shot on the point?

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

167. GrimJim says:

Yeah, that’s where I got the idea from. Wanted to hear people’s opinion so I threw it out here. Gill would make a helluva screen, though, and be difficult to move out of the way. But it sounds like no one thinks that outweighes the negatives

168. adamkennelly says:

I would still keep OB at his pay  if I could get rid of Spacek or Hammer at theirs – Spacek has looked terrible and Hammer – not quite as bad but if you count the dollars associated with either of them – OB is a better option.

Put it another way – if we could have Markov and OB in place of those two and use the cash saved to get a real top 6 winger with size – this would be a much better team.

169. GrimJim says:

I don’t think the shot from the point is really the problem. Subban has a howitzer. And Pouliot’s goal on Monday was due in part to Gorges initial point shot. IMO the problem seems to be too much outside play and cross-ice passing through clogged lanes. Cammi’s Monday goal happened because he penetrated the box, and Gomez’s movement prior to passing to Gorges caused the box to shift out of position, creating the play. So how do we shift the d out of position while keeping the puck in the scoring areas?

170. pic1983 says:

Hammer isnt the end of the world as he’s UFA at seasons end.  That $5.5 million is really going to come in handy.  Spacek though has been just brutal, and still has a year remaining.  Hopefully he finds his form, and is still just shaking off the rust.

171. pic1983 says:

Hard to make a fair assessment when hes getting spot duty.  Clearly JM doesnt like him and has no interest in giving him a fair shake, so I say we should just try to trade him or waive him.  He deserves a chance to play, and some team will certainly claim him off waivers and give him his chance.

172. pic1983 says:

Actually I liked Pierre Mcguires Idea (pretty rare that it happens) of putting pleks on the point.  Hes our best decision maker, solid defensively, he can step in and blast one if the opportunity presents itself, and is probably the ideal person to set up PK.  However, markov will be back on saturday and all will be well with the powerplay.  Markov is THAT good.

173. habsfan404 says:

It’s a good question. I think first and foremost you wait to see what he can do for the rest of the year. Remember we’ve only played 9 games, let’s see what kind of consistency we can get from him over the course of a season. Either way, PG’s gotta wait until season’s end before re-signing him, he’s been too much of a question mark in the past. And if we do decide to sign him, I would definitely opt for a short-term contract vs. a long-term one as it would be way too risky to lock him up for more than a couple of years.

174. pic1983 says:

If you’re on the PP for 5 seconds and take a penalty, you’re 0-1 right there.  The stats can be skewed, but someone would actually have to look and see if that’s been the case for us to know if the stats really are skewed.

Like you said, STATS don’t win hockey games, and besides, the most important stat of all is in our favor: First in the East!

175. pic1983 says:

IVe always had faith in Pleks.  You could see that the guy always demands the best from himself, and when he doesnt perform, he’s the first one to admit it.  He never makes excuses.  He plays hard every shift.

Honestly, I would have an easier time swallowing the idea of pleks making 7.3 million and gomez making 5 million.

176. pic1983 says:

It all depends what AK does this year.  If aK has a career year with 35+ goals and 65-70 points, he’s going to cost us big time.  Only problem is, do we actually give it to him based on one great season?

177. Storm Man says:

The season is young. :)

178. pic1983 says:

$5 million? Completely out of the question.

If he scores 30 goals and 60 points, ill give him $8 million for two years max, and let him earn his next contract.  He’s RFA. so its not like he has a huge amount of leverage.  If a team wants to sign him to an offer sheet over $4 million, Ill take the compensation thank you very much.

We have too many decent prospects in pipeline to commit to another $5 million forward at this point.

179. pic1983 says:

Hes a restricted free agent, so as I mentioned above, if someone is silly enough to sign him to a $5 million offer sheet a la Brian-Burke-phil-kessel, I would definitely take the compensatory draft picks considering our prospect pipeline.

A $5 million dollar offer sheet that we dont match would give us a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd round pick.

180. GrimJim says:

I had forgotten that AK is an RFA. That puts a different spin on it.

181. pic1983 says:

For sure, it even makes him tradeable if he happens to have a good season.

Ball is in our court.  I said $5 million above, but even a $4 million offer sheet gives us 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft picks.

182. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Hal is good, but I’d rather see Price or Auld in front of the net, and the defenceman up front on the point… oh, you mean the other team’s net???

Let’s see what Markov brings.

In the past the PP was effective when there was a booming shot from the point either Souray, Streit or MAB. I wonder if Boucher’s 1-3-1 would be a good option considering there is no one this year (maybe Subban). Weber might be an option but the Habs are stacked on D so unless an injury or a trade happens unlikely.

Why not put Eller in front of the net with Gio and Gomez in the periphery as one unit and the Plex line parking AKost as the next? I still think wait and see what Markov brings but would rather forwards there then slow footed Gill.

184. CharlieHodgeFan says:

On one level, this game could expose a weakness – bad back-up goaltending. Or, as things have gone this season, Auld could be brilliant, and once again a posting culture built on denouncing the GMs will be left speechless.

I didn’t believe Price could do anything, and look how wrong I’ve been. I don’t believe Auld can do anything, and I hope I’m on a streak!

185. linp says:

OB needs to play with an experienced D-partner. Then he can simplify his game. Last year he played well with Markov. If you give him too much responsibility, he can’t think straight and he’ll commit stupid error. I still think that we should keep him and use him properly. He could be effective because of his size.

186. Dennis says:

Maybe you’ve seen this, but if not, get ready to laugh. http://dennis-kane.com/the-funniest-leaf-thing-youll-ever-see/

187. TomNickle says:

Doesn’t like him and isn’t giving him a fair shake?

That’s ludicrous.

If, during every chance he gets he takes stupid penalties, refuses to be physical and is nothing but a liability in our end is that an effective way to endear himself to the coaching staff or his teammates?

And what exactly is it that’s unfair about it.  He’s still collecting his pay.  His inability to correct mistakes and be an effective player is on him, nobody else.  He’s been given plenty of chances by plenty of coaches.

188. TomNickle says:

I don’t want players on this team who have intentions of riding the coattails of Tomas Plekanec.

I want players like Cammalleri who want to play for this team because of their belief that the pressure will bring out the best in them.

189. habs365 says:

I hope they don’t screw price up like they did last year by taking him out..there’s no Halak to replace him. I would have let him go until he wanted to come out or starts to play bad some games..I don’t know maybe he wanted a rest..if they think they can change goalies because we beat them in montreal and we can beat them on the island..they better re-think this one over, the islanders are no push over’s this year.. you’d better be able to play for sixty minutes everytime you play them or two points will be going their way..

190. habfan53 says:

I just read it   Your explanation was easier to understand Either lawyers or politicians (same thing) wrote theirs

191. mike g says:

Who’s Alex Auld?

192. Wops says:

He’s big, he’s bald, he’s Alex Auld

193. SeriousFan09 says:

Playoff performance will be the determining factor. He keeps it up than the team will think about going beyond 1 year I suspect.

194. andrewberkshire says:

Getting worried about you’re bet yet?

195. TomNickle says:

He won’t get more than a three year deal regardless of how he plays the rest of the way and the playoffs.

196. mike g says:

Nah…

It’s AK, he’ll slow down lol..

197. andrewberkshire says:

I sure hope not!

198. notbigbird says:

You mean “regardless.”

199. Psycho29 says:

It’s Deja Vu all over again!

200. Propwash says:

Yeeeah notsomuuuch.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

201. TheDagger says:

Isn’t that what all teams should want their backup goalie to do? Try and be the best?

202. Danno says:

Hey, Auld is undefeated so far this season. Neither Price nor What’s-his-name can say that.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

203. MikeMcLaren says:

Just a point here, because it always irks me when I see it and I try to change it one person at a time:

Regardless

or

Irrespective

While technically “irregardles” is indeed an actual word, it’s a double negative and not preferred.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

204. Wops says:

Technically no, his save percentage is 0… ;-D

205. Say Ash says:

lol, I like the first example usage

206. rocketsglare says:

The boys where flying last night. They showed a great deal of energy on both ends of the ice and made

for a very enjoyable game to watch and better end result. A complete team win.

Three takes from last night: Plekanec is a beast, Price is back, and Gionta’s hard work in front of the net

will soon begin to pay off. Oh, and props to Moen for his hustle and grit last night.

207. mike g says:

I love this..

Following last night’s 5-2 loss, yet again, to the Sharks this time, Ilya Kovalchuk was asked to comment on the Devils’ terrible and league worst 2-7-1 start to the season. His answer:

“Go ask the other guys in this room.”

Really, Ilya? That team coulda baught the Tampa Bay Lightning’s franchise instead of buying you, and that’s how you respond?

Alright, all I know is that I’m loving it. When New Jersey loses, and looks this bad, Mike G likes…

208. Psycho29 says:

And to think some posters wanted the Habs to find a way to get Kovy-2 this past summer….

209. HabFanSince72 says:

“Go ask the other guys in this room.”

Don’t worry Devils fans. He’s only with you 15 more years …

210. Say Ash says:

“Go ask the other guys in this room.”

link, please

211. avatar_58 says:

You know who we almost gave up on? Tomas Plekanec. Think about that one.

212. Gormdog says:

I’m not saying we should “give up” on AK, i just think there are players out there that are a much better fit with this hardworking club than AK. I would move him in a heartbeat if a decent offer came along – and the longer he plays like a potential 40 goal demon, well, the more we’re going to get!

213. joeybarrie says:

But who would we get?  Someone else where the risk would be the same. Otherwise why would someone do the trade? I think we should see where he lands and get him to re-sign for under 4 million for 2 years. After that who knows. But he will still have value on the market and if he doesn’t sign for under 4 million then we get a WHOLE lot in compansation to an offer sheet… Not a bad way to go about it. I would take a 1st, 2nd and third rounder in the worst case…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

214. Chuck says:

He’s be great with the right supporting cast. But because of his contract, they can’t dress the supporting cast.  :)

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

215. samTHEman says:

I think JM is waiting for someone to step up and and prove that they belong on the top 6. Meanwhile, we’ve seen a sort of rotation of Pyatt, Pouliot, Moen, and I think Elller once. I remember seeing him with Gionta dunno if Gomez was with them too.

He’s embracing the RIGHT idea that you shouldn’t take for granted your spot on the team.

216. SeriousFan09 says:

Just checked Habs Prospects to see how much I’d have to keep up with tommorow night regarding the kids and well… everyone we’ve drafted/signed/had a polite conversation with is playing tommorow night. Normally that sounds like a lot of good prospect update stuff to follow but to date, nights where most if not all our guys have been playing haven’t kicked up much on the stat sheet for the season.

I’ll bring in all relevant updates as per usual post-game or during, it seems Friday shall be the biggest playing night of the 10-11 season for the entire organization so far.

217. Mark C says:

Danny Kristo has to break out this weekend, right?

218. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s due, but UND should get him off the 3rd line and let him play the Top-6 considering he was the damned 3rd-leading scorer for his team last year as a rookie. This keeps up, Habs should approach him about signing and playing in Hamilton.

219. secretdragonfly says:

Glad to hear Price will be getting a well-deserved rest.  And judging by the TSN article, Auld seems to have the right attitude.

“Any time your get an opportunity with a new team you’re excited,” said 29-year-old. “Maybe a few years ago I would have dwelled on it more but now my focus is day-to-day.

“I found that if you start worrying about the games you’re not playing then you’re not ready when it’s your turn. I just had to stay sharp. I knew it would come.”