Auld tomorrow, Markov Saturday

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Alex Auld | Jaro Spacek

Very quiet morning at the Bell Sports Complex, the Canadiens still basking in the glow of last night’s 5-3 win over the New York Islanders.

Only seven Canadienswere on the ice for a bit of work: goalie Alex Auld, who will get the start on Long Island Friday night, and skaters Andrei Markov, who’ll play his first game of the season against the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre on Saturday, plus Lars Eller, Mathieu Darche, Alexandre Picard, Ryan O’Byrne and Dustin Boyd.

The rest of the crew worked out in the gym.

The team charters this afternoon to Long Island for tomorrow’s game against the Islanders.

• Carey Price became the first Canadiens goaltender to begin a season with nine starts since Patrick Roy in 1995.

• Islanders send Nino Niederreiter back to the W

1. Mark C says:

Doesn’t work that way exactly. Even on LTIR, the players cap figure still counts on the team’s cap. Since adding Picard to the roster did not push Montreal over the cap limit, there is no relief for putting Markov on LTIR given Montreal’s cap space.

I am begrudgingly accepting that Martin is a patient genius. He this summer that last season he worked out the kinks of his defensive system and now the focus would be upping the offensive ante.

3. pmaraw says:

if we win 2 cups in next 5 years, we’ll need to see some more statues soon enough

4. HabsFanInTampa says:

LOL. Worked a double shift last night.

5. Maksimir says:

1. The Halak trade looks like it was a smart one:

True.  Even more so with every game Eller plays.

> undecided yet

2.  Moen is the best fit on the 2nd line

False, but for now let him play a few games.  I still want to see Eller up there or even give Pacs another try if injuries every come our way.

>False – agree with above

3. Martin’s ‘system’ is a major part of what is making this team successful.

I’m undecided on that. But I like how Martin is more relaxed.

>False – they still have issues getting bottled up in their own end – see Tampa game

4. Thanks to better team cohesion and some extra muscle packed on Subban and others, this year’s Habs won’t get pushed around by the Flyers…

I’ll answer that in April.  I hate trying to predict the future.

>agreed – we’ll see

5. Gionta is not snake-bitten, he’s freaking Tyrannosaurus Rex bitten!  But he gets one tomorrow night.

>agreed – 2 goals – one on the island and one against florida

6. sholi2000.com says:

Whooooosh, right over your head!

They Call Me Shane

7. TomNickle says:

It’s gonna happen.

Big bonus money on an entry level deal.

8. TomNickle says:

The timetable has been uncertain the whole way.  They really had no idea what day he would get clearance.

9. sholi2000.com says:

Smartdog True/False

1. The Halak trade looks like it was a smart one:

True.  Even more so with every game Eller plays.

2.  Moen is the best fit on the 2nd line

3. Martin’s ‘system’ is a major part of what is making this team successful.

I’m undecided on that. But I like how Martin is more relaxed.

4. Thanks to better team cohesion and some extra muscle packed on Subban and others, this year’s Habs won’t get pushed around by the Flyers…

I’ll answer that in April.  I hate trying to predict the future.

5. Gionta is not snake-bitten, he’s freaking Tyrannosaurus Rex bitten!  But he gets one tomorrow night.

True, huge ape on his back

They Call Me Shane

10. Maksimir says:

me too… but I will buy a ticket for this Friday anyway.. Bastards at OLG!

If I win the $50 mil… I’ll buy seasons tickets to the Habs and a condo by the Bell centre.

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Been keeping my eye on Alexei for good reason, with his size and growing offensive upside he could be brought in from the KHL to give the Habs a solid boost to blueline strength and still have solid size working for the team. Could be the key off-season signing by the Habs if they can make it happen.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

12. TomNickle says:

I wouldn’t be thrilled if Lafleur was named GM.

13. habfan53 says:

Why would he have not been put on the IR. He was not expected back till till now that would have saved over 600k on the cap??

14. fbkj says:

agreed

total panic move

15. nick says:

Yep – Your right. I was thinking he was sitting more than he was, but he had alot of playing time. Either way, I don’t see OByrne here past this season.

16. mbplekfan says:

The best replacement we have and one I think has probably been offered the position is Alex Emelin. He’s physical, plays a shut down role and is fully NHL calibre.

I think his contract is up at the end of the year and if PG guaranteed him the spot he might come over. Plus if Markov talked to him that might help.

17. TomNickle says:

There’s still going to be a deal.  Gauthier won’t go the rest of the season with only $800k in cap room.

One defenseman is on the way out.

My money’s on O’Byrne.

18. HabsFanInTampa says:

I wasn’t aware “Canadian” was a language.

19. TomNickle says:

My only worry there is that PK may feel the need to become Markov’s bodyguard.

20. Mr.Hazard says:

Just a thought: I hate Lotto MAX.

21. Mr.Hazard says:

I’d say a 5% likelihood of Auld starting even after a 40-save shutout. You usually try avoid (when possible) starting the same goalie on back-to-back games. Doing it with a backup, especially after a busy night? I wouldn’t count on it. What if Auld gets another 40-save shutout? Yay! Another goalie controversy!

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Not quite the same, Habs kept playing Lats last season and he never got it going, OB’s got less opportunities with only 6 spots but he didn’t impress with his TOI. When you’re 6’5″, you should be hitting people, a lot but he wasn’t.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

23. Mr.Hazard says:

Yeah, the station is the same building as the Bell Centre. They’re connected. Walk into the building from the train (you’ll be facing the team store), turn right and walk down the hallway!

24. jimmy shaker says:

Ya probably for a game or two, but then I think PK and Marky become the number 1 pairing and stay together the rest of the year…..as long as PK’s enthusiasm doesn’t get him into penalty trouble.  JM really seems peeved when PK gets a little bit loud out there on the ice…… I like it though (pk’s emotion).  Experience and Marky/Gill will settle that down!  And I don’t think JM minded PK’s skill and assist last night either…..Loosen the reigns JM, this guy is for real!

Shaker

25. joeybarrie says:

Pricey starts nine in a row. No one since ROY…

OK, so it got me thinking. Would you take this deal…

We win 2 Stanley Cups in the next 5 years, then trade Price for one 15 goal scorer, one 20 goal scorer and a .900 back-up goalie…

Um where do I sign. I would take that deal in the blink of a young girls eye…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

26. nick says:

With Hamrlik gone next season, his salary getting split between Gorges, AK, and Markov. Just wondering who might be able to step up and start with the CH next season.

Hehe, obviously PG is thinking the same thing… Rumor has it he’s been kicking tires on D with a couple of teams (according to TSN). OByrne would be the logical fit, although I get the impression he’s in the same purgatory that Latendress was in last season before he was traded to the Wild.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

When I heard about the Sportsnet piece on Kessel winning the Hart, it drew this reaction.

This one, it drew a whole level of ‘what the ****’ altogether.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

28. Mark C says:

Nothing changes on Friday. Markov has been on the cap all season.

29. boneheadslanger33 says:

1995 was the beginning of the Dark era for the Habs.  I know a lot of the so-called posters on this site say things like hindsight is 20/20 but how anyone could possibly think that moving Rejean Houle from his ambassador role to that of GM is beyond comprehension.

30. fbkj says:

his english is fine… its just… it sounds like hes gargling his own tongue

31. Psycho29 says:

Thanks to everyone for your help! I just checked the sched, 9:15 is a bit early!

I guess I’ll drive!!

32. sholi2000.com says:

I can honestly say that Czechs have the hardest time speaking Canadian.  :0

They Call Me Shane

33. TomNickle says:

Spacek just needs to be on the left side.  I’m telling you.  When he is, there’s no debate here.

There will be a trade.  Look out for Columbus and Colorado.

34. SeriousFan09 says:

If we needed a PP specialist? Weber.

All-around, I’m really liking Nash, he could work himself onto the roster if he keeps up his pace with the Dogs.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

35. Hobie Hansen says:

I will take your word for it my friend ;-)

36. Mark C says:

His play has had a trade a possibility worthy of consideration. I think Hamrlik and Spacek will improve their play if their ice time is kept down, which is a huge side benefit of Markov’s return.

37. fbkj says:

anybody else incredibly creeped out by spacek’s accent?

38. Corio says:

Weber unfortunately, or Henry, I prefer Henry.

39. pic1983 says:

He needs playing time, and not just a game here or there, but consistent playing time.  Only way he’s going to develop.

At this point we should trade him or waive him, as it looks like he isnt really going to get his chance.

40. TomNickle says:

Henry.

Nash is close.

41. habfan53 says:

After the game Friday Montreal is going to have to make a decision. With Markov coming back the can’t afford (cap) to keep both Picard and O’Byrne in Montreal. As I said yesterday I would rather see Spacek go as I don’t think he will repeat his play from last years playoff run BUT i don’t see them releasing him either. Picard is BY FAR the better of the  better of the three this year.