Auld in nets vs. Maple Leafs

Goalie Alex Auld gets the start tonight vs. the Toronto Maple Leafs, mildly surprising given that Carey Price has blanked the Leafs twice this season. But head coach Jacques Martin said in Vancouver there would be more work ahead for the Habs’ backup, and some of that work is tonight.

Defenceman Jaroslav Spacek and forward Mathieu Darche, believed to be rehabbing a knee and a groin, continue to undergo treatment and will be re-evaluated in the days ahead.

Habs lines are expected to be the same as they were for the 3-2 win over the Canucks on Tuesday.

1. TomNickle says:

Thank God Gauthier didn’t get him.

2. HabFanSince72 says:

I note that the Vancouver Sun’s headline after the last game was

“Price is right, Canuck weren’t.”

You can actually get paid for writing stuff like that?

Now here’s my headline if Vancouver meets Tampa in the Stanley Cup finals: “The Nucks and Bolts of the Stanley Cup”.

3. GrimJim says:

My thoughts exactly, Tommy

4. SmartDog says:

It’s that same unemotional trait that ran him outa town.

“What?  Huh….?  Something… hurt… my… face….  Something… sharp… bleeding.”

5. observer says:

No, but tell me you can’t see the many games the Habs and every other team for that matter appear like they didn’t show up for the game in today’s NHL? And this may be one of them? Habs sure try their guts out against good teams but when they play weaker or bottom teams many times they DON’T.

6. LA Loyalist says:

… he’s been fine – AND he needs to PLAY – look at Ducks – Hiller has been all-world but he is dizzy and they are scrambling like crazy, just traded a kid McIllerny (sp) for Dan Ellis, and they’re trying to rehab Emery in the minors, it’s a huge problem in a really tight playoff race.

All it takes is a rut in the ice or a puck off the helmet at a bad angle and we have the same problem. So let Auld play and work hard in front of him.

I know! Score a couple of goals, that will help! (background sounds of JM wretching).

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Better them than us.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

8. Habs Proud says:

Take a bow Mr Stubbs, sometimes the obvious just needs to be said out loud.

9. LA Loyalist says:

Prom night is tight.

10. HabFanSince72 says:

I pretty much assume it’s a loss when Auld is in,

If you had put $$ on that assumption you’d have lost money. He’s 4-2-1.

11. HabFanSince72 says:

Does it get sweaty under that tin-foil hat?

So you admit you wear one?

12. arcosenate says:

Kovalev to Pitt for a 7th rounder.

13. HabFanSince72 says:

Traded for a 7th round pick. I think he could help the Pens if Crosby ever returns.

14. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Actually his is made from a complex polymer that is specifically designed to keep out the alien mind control rays being sent down from BG & PG in their mothership.

15. Storm Man says:

For a 7th round pick and a bag of pucks…..

16. TomNickle says:

Ottawa picked up Svatos.

17. shiram says:

Auld can let in a softie once in while, but so does Carey. Auld is the #2 as well, so you cannot expect the same skills as Price. Auld has done great this year considering his long streches withouth play.

I’m fine with him against the Loafs, and I’m always glad to get to see him play, always wanna see if he is up to snuff. But I’m not paying a ticket to go to the Bell Center either.

18. TomNickle says:

A 7th rounder for Kovalev?  Apparently this interest in him wasn’t nearly what some media types made it out to be.

Yeah I’m talkin to you Dreger.

19. RGM says:

To be filed under the “better them than us” department. He was good with flashes of brilliance when he was here but so inconsistent. I’m glad that ship has sailed.

20. observer says:

James Reimer 16 wins 9 losses 2 otl Sv% .934 GAA 2.12

21. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I’d say about 4:30 am.  Is there a prize for whoever gets the right answer?

22. HalifaxHabs says:

LOL, I guess no one else wanted him if that’s all they could get.

23. Storm Man says:

So you know how to post stats how nice for you.

24. christophor says:

Thanks, Tom.

Is that all that happened? No one picked up Zherdev?

25. TomNickle says:

I remember Rogers Sportsnet having to apologize to viewers on numerous occasions for irresponsible reporting when he was with them.  Quite often had incorrect trading partner, players, contract numbers, etc.

Not sure why TSN picked him up.

26. Say Ash says:

Well, my birthday is tomorrrow but at least one present has come early. Thanks, Ray Shero, for the peace of mind.

27. TomNickle says:

That’s all that I know of.  Re: Waiver process.  Each team has a shot at claiming the player.  They all have to put in their claim not knowing whether or not they’ll get the player or if anyone else has put in a claim.

Last place team gets first crack and so on.

28. christophor says:

I follow that much. I was just wondering if the Svatos announcement meant that Zherdev was passed over.

29. crabvader says:

Kovalev is a Penguin once more.

30. _Habsoloutly_ says:

James Reimer, battling for a job on the Marlies by the middle of next season.

31. TomNickle says:

Not necessarily.  Teams have until 1pm or so today to put in a claim.  It may have even been noon.

32. observer says:

he was a hero in pittsburgh now returns and will have one last great season end with such a team. neal now him. this pitts team has improved drastically as the slow talking slow moving duo here gauthier and slow gainey before him just hesitate and are are too late to react. “He who hesitates is lost “- a good description of Gauthier. oh yes, the pens gm did NOT mortgage the franchise to acquire kov, neal and niskanen.

33. christophor says:

Interesting. I didn’t dislike hiim until last year but I never paid much attention to him till then.

Seems like the kind of guy who makes his wife call him “the insider”.

34. Sportfan says:

Lol id like Kovalev a lot but yeah good for him going to Pittsburg id like to see how he’d play with Crosby if he’s back any time soon. Also makes the Panguins look a bit stronger in the Playoffs haha. All Ottawa got was a 7th round pick haha that’s really funny for some reason 😛

35. KenD29 says:

Happy Birthday! Hopefully the boys give you a win for your birthday.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

36. TomNickle says:

I actually just started to think about my TSN comment.  He was fairly accurate with the Leafs reporting that he did with SN.  It would stand to reason that he has some MLSE connections.  Subsequently, it wouldn’t surprise me if TSN picked him up for his Leaf connections alone.

37. montrealtilldeath says:

Again absolute proof JM does not get what it means to be coach of Les Canadiens. Beating the Leafs is a Montreal absolute. The last time he did this (earlier in the year) we went into a protracted slide. Fire that man today, yesterday! HE DOES NOT GET IT! We will never win the big one with this guy behind the bench. We are playing the Leafs and he is telling the players this game is not that important. Check his birth certificate. He canot be a Canadian.

38. punkster says:

What a minute here. Kovy for a 7th rounder? Can’t be true. So many here were willing to give up actual Habs roster players plus 2nd or 3rd picks. Nope, not true. That would mean the armchair GMs here are…well..they’re…what’s the word I’m looking for?

39. observer says:

that record of his is pretty darn impressive on a team every here says stinks.

40. KenD29 says:

They got more for Ruutu !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

41. observer says:

good goalie whether you like it or not.

42. observer says:

well tonights other goalie stats were posted but not his for some reason.

43. christophor says:

16GP 9W 4L 2OT

You’re a bit off.

44. shootdapuck says:

Against a bitter rival fans want to see the best chance to win.

Auld’s Calgary performance weighs heavily on peoples’ minds .833 save %age and 4 GA in 42 minutes.

He  had the “deer in headlights” panic look no doubt blowing a 4 goal lead!

Calgary was still a bad team on Jan 17.

“I only like to watch and takes notes” JM

45. Habhopeful says:

Even the true facts wont get rid of that leafs stiffy observer has…

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

46. GrimJim says:

but not his for some reason.

just guessing here but maybe because it’s Habs Inside Out not Leafs Inside Out…

47. punkster says:

Anybody else wanna take this one? I’ve gotta run some errands. Thanks.

48. observer says:

i copied and pasted it wrong but yes appeared in 16 games 9-4-2 but sv pct and gaa are correct.

49. observer says:

mistake – but you watch him tonight

50. observer says:

we’ll see how hard habs play or if its another 1st period no-show. and there have been many of those especially after habs decided to sit on their laurels in this case beating vancouver and having a comfortable enuff playoff position.

51. TomNickle says:

Why is everbody up in arms about Auld starting?  If we can’t beat the Leafs with Auld in net we don’t deserve to go to the playoffs.  Hell, if we can’t beat them with Gomez in net we don’t deserve to go.

52. Habhopeful says:

Oh I will…Im sure he’s the next “Monster”…Ya, that didnt work out either did it…

53. observer says:

he’s big and he’s good and most importantly has a solid defense in front of him that burke built.

54. observer says:

like if youre  boxing for the title and youre boxing against a guy who is 100-0 with 99 knockouts then on your website you only post your 45-27 record?

55. PrimeTime says:

is that a complaint or a compliment?

56. Propwash says:

Naah, I have work to do.

57. Propwash says:

Reimer looks like to be a flash in the pan. Once players figure out his weaknesses, he will most likely be an average goalie at best.

That’s my prediction.

58. GrimJim says:

I’m probably being pedantic here but a skeptic questions the establishment based on reason, logic and facts. It’s okay to question if Iraq could develop WMD when that country had been under international sanction and scrutiny for the previous 10 years. Conspiracy nuts make illogical leaps and, if they use facts at all, they tend to be misunderstood and misconstrued. To get back to Tony, could Montreal have a letdown after a road trip – yes – could they not take the Leafs as a serious threat given where the leafs are in the standings – yes look at what happened in Ed – but to then imply that the Habs are deliberately trying to bolster the Leafs “Seems like Habs using Auld mean they are trying to help Leafs get into the playoffs” Is the comment of a conspiracy nut, not a skeptic

59. observer says:

leafs played terrible here last time. you know when that happens teams come out on all cylinders the next time. they are only 3 games out of a playoff spot.

60. Former Jets Fan says:

I’ll try with several words….Only sitting on one ass-cheek?

61. andrewberkshire says:

My thoughts exactly.

62. shiram says:

I would not say that, we just got beat by the worst team in the leagues, so any game can be a challenge.

But Auld has got to play, and the Loafs are a good match for him.

63. observer says:

they are just 6 points out had a losing record with their other goalies and since this kid is playing they are making a bit of a run. sorta like last year price a bad losing record then halak with a winning one got the habs to the playoffs and 9 wins there.

64. TomNickle says:

Maybe so but he’s not stupid enough to be intimidated by James Reimer or be dazzled by the lateral moves of a loud mouth GM who’s built nothing substantial over the course of his career.

65. observer says:

if so he’d probably miss standing in front of the net.

66. TomNickle says:

The Leafs are four good defensemen and two good centermen away from the playoffs Tony.  Oh yeah, and a better locker room.

67. HabFarmer says:

Isn’t “Leafs skills competition”, an oxymoron?  Kinda like “Ottawa skills competition”, which I thought would’ve been cancelled due to a, well, a lack of skill.

A man’s attitude… a man’s attitude goes some ways. The way his life will be. Is that somethin’ you agree with?

68. observer says:

habs got beat by hot islanders last 2 times. reimer shut them down.

69. Habs_Fan_In_Edmonton says:

We will never win the big one? I dont know, two game seven victories last spring seemes pretty big to me. But then again, maybe that was just me

70. drivefor25 says:

LOL! Twice!

Fan since ’71

71. Aaron13 says:

Kovalev was unhappy in OTT and although he’s not a prolific scorer, he was loved by the fans in MTL. Perhaps, he could have motivated our team to a higher level of play down the stretch. I’m glad PIT picked him up.

As an aside, I think the commentators on RDS and L’antichambre are fair and have unparalled hockey insight. They get it. Martin et. al. and most in the press don’t.

72. Jeff says:

Gooday Tommy, yes I agree if you can’t beat the decimated Leafs ( Beach, Kabbs & Versteeg) then you don’t deserve the playoffs.

R u guys getting nervous?

The Leafs are winning & the Habs are losing, the end result is obvious. If u continue this trend, no playoffs.

We were too easy on you last year allowing the Habs to make in on the last day, not this year.

It will be so nice to see our larger, younger, more talented Leafs kick your collective Hobbitt butts tonite.

Ha! Is that a good start to get those hate juices going…..Tommy?

73. shootdapuck says:

Sopel and Dawes from Atlanta coming for Maxwell and a fourth rounder!

“I only like to watch and takes notes” JM

74. Aaron13 says:

75. HalifaxHabs says:

That sounds about right

76. EastCoastJoe says:

I think you nailed it.

77. alexspencer says:

Does anyone else find it odd that we are not hearing anything at all about Spacek? My guess is that he’s gone for the year. They want to keep it quiet in case we want to trade for a D-man. Don’t want to bargain from a point of desperation.

78. filincal says:

I think maybe it’s because we haven’t been affected…considering our current position in the standings.

79. Rudy says:

So is doing a piece on the Top 10 teams most affected by injuries this year, and guess what……Montreal isn’t on the list. Just our top 2 defenseman for the season, 2 other defensemen at various times and our sniper, but we’re not affected.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

80. punkster says:

Definite snub. This team is the snubbin’ bunch of snubs that ever snubbed a snub. And that Snubban guy is the worst of the mudda-snubbin’ lot, I tells ya! Bunch o’ snubbers.

81. JD_ says:

Can’t play the kid every night.

That or JM is snubbin’ Price by preventin’ him from settin’ the single-season S/O record against the Loafs.

82. Rudy says:

I wanted Pricey to make it in the recordbooks, 3 shutouts vs Toronto in one year

83. habsguy says:

I’m offically on the JM sucks band wagon now !!!!!!!!!!

84. tony d says:

Well naturally the Leafs will feel snubbed again and this should motivate their troops. I’m saying Leafs win it

3-2 in OT.

85. habsguy says:

are you kidding me,  the Leafs have been hot lately and we need the points !!!!!!…this is just plain stupid!!!!!!!

86. TomNickle says:

Would somebody mind giving Auld directions to the Bell Centre?  I’m afraid he’ll get lost on the way to the rink.