AUDIO UPDATE: Halak to Blues for 2 prospects

• AUDIO: Pierre Gauthier conference call (about 20 minutes) | Jaroslav Halak

Carey, here are the keys to the car.

No pressure, eh?

Done deal.

The goaltender who won two playoff rounds has been traded to St. Louis.

Lars Eller and Ian Schultz coming this way.

Eller is a former first-round choice who hasn’t set the world on fire. He will be the Canadiens’ first Dane. Let’s hope he’s great.

Schultz is a big guy who can throw ’em.

Bob McKenzie says Philadelphia, Tampa Bay and San Jose were in the mix.

Boone’s take

1. Chuck says:

Methinks you’re right.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

2. wotever says:

Oh, I thought we needed big guys, to let our scorers play. Scorer’s let’s see.  Cammy’s line is set. Gionta and Gomez were solid, but a big presence… that would be nice.  Who else needs scorers.  That leaves Plex and the 4th line.

YOU KNOW WHAT WE NEED!  I KNOW!  GOALIES, SCORERS, AND BIG GUYS! Too bad the cap is about 15 million short of that being possible.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

3. Chorske says:

I think this is a disaster- and I am not even one of those 100% Team Halak dudes. It continues out longstanding tradition of bending ourselves over a barrel and mortgaging our own future while helping the competition.

If Price thought there was pressure before… yow. Only way this made sense was if a guy like Perron was part of the mix.

It’s an absolute crap day to be a Habs fan.

4. Chuck says:

No use making an offer if his agent told the Habs that they’d be going to arbitration regardless of what they were willing to pay.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

5. wotever says:

$3,013,435 to $4,520,150 == First- and third-round pick

This is slightly better than that because forwards traded have actual NHL numbers.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

6. SeriousFan09 says:

Depends if Pleks contract is 5 and over and if Eller can live up to his prospect status. Aside, it looks like with this core, we’re definitely not contending until Kristo, Leblanc, Schultz graduate to NHL action in 2012. Habs must definitely be planning to draft at Defence with picking up only Forwards in this trade.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

7. G-Man says:

Playoffs? What playoffs? How can you make the playoffs winning 1 and losing 2 all season long?

8. Chuck says:

We get a 1st round pick in Eller, and a crapload of toughness in Schultz in return for a goaltender who’s agent probably priced him right out of Montreal. This probably also now allows them to deal with Pleks. I’ll take it.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

9. LeNordique says:

Maybe Adam Walsh burned some bridges with Habs management.

10. Habs22 says:

Anyone who was expecting to get something ridiculous like David Perron or Backes and a pick in return was seriously misguided. Halak is good but why would another team give up something like that for someone who doesn’t even have a contract? You can bet he is being traded because he is asking for too much money, and he always has the option of going to the KHL where he can probably get the kind of money he wants easily.

11. derfab says:

Get Gauthier out.

12. danedmunds says:

i was thinking the same thing

13. Chuck says:

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

14. Mr.Hazard says:

F*** THIS SH**

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

15. floatingineather says:

apparently Jaro was not even offered an offer!  something somwhere went very very wrong

16. SeriousFan09 says:

Eller did well enough in his first AHL season and the Rivermen aren’t a very good AHL club from my understanding, switching to the Dogs may be a good change of scenery and Schultz seems likeable but his top season was as an over-ager in the WHL, both will join the Bulldogs likely but we’re not getting anything back to help our roster right away.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. sprague cleghorn says:

18. sims says:

wouldnt losing him to an offer sheet have been better?

19. danedmunds says:

i love peoples comments before eller and shultz news was releaseed saying, oshie!!! backes!! perron!!! maybe a first round pick too!! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahhahaha how about 2 guys the majority of you have never heard of!!   i understand what happened here but we’ll be hard pressed to find someone that thinks this was a good trade…………… we can all thank the gomez contract for this crap

20. LeNordique says:

Commence poop flinging in 3…2…1…

And pour out some chocolate milk for Halak.  I’ll miss the guy.

21. Habs4ever Fan says:

I love Carey Price.

This is what he needed to show the world just how lousy a goalie he truly is

Habs lose in 4 opening round of the 2011 playoffs

Carey Price will be pulled 3 times

Gautier….thank you from all the Habs fans who wanted to get contracts for seats at the Bell Center as there will be tickets availble to all for 2011/12

22. floatingineather says:

good grief,,, these are 2 young young guys, not much that helps us right now

23. LeNordique says:

A fellow UMaine fan?  I remember the 42-1-2 year well, too bad Jim Montgomery never worked out in the NHL

24. JasonM says:

From first perspective this screams salary dump to me. It’s
    hard not to think that St. Louis
    got the upper hand in this exchange as it is hard not to think that a pair of
    unproven prospects can equal to an established NHL goaltender that carried his
    team to the semi-finals robbing the Eastern Conference champions as well as the
    defending champions.

Halak doesn’t come without his faults but I thought we could
    have gotten much more than what the Blues offered. Mind you, I’m excited about Ian
    Schultz. A big boy with a dog eat dog attitude that will willingly throw
    punches at people who cross him or his team. He’ll win his battles and STILL
    manage to put goals into the net. He’s a little bit like a young Chris Nilan
    and the Habs can surely use someone like that.

In regards to Lars Eller, well I can’t put myself in either
    camp just yet. He seems to do well in the World Juniors however he’s been slow
    at developing and needs to live up to his first round selection. He sorely
    needs to play in North America as the speed of
    the game was a factor when he was called up. An allround skilled forward with
    good speed and work ethic he plays the game such as you’d see such like Plekanec
    that will dirty his nose more. Good on shorthanded situations.

Overall, this deal looks and smells lousy but let’s be
    honest, we can’t say we didn’t expect this. I just figured they would have
    gotten a bit more for Halak.

Thanks for the years Jaroslav!

25. gohabzzzz says:

well then. the debates gone. price is the man. i’ll miss halak. I miss halak. i just hope that our freaking develpment people can do something, cuz i’m just scared that eller could be another dud. he’s young….but we need an immediate impact.

three way deal? o.O

26. Kristopher7 says:

The debate’s over, we’re banking on Price for the next cup from now on… but EPIC FAIL, Halak is the shizz.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Pierre Lebrun tweets Lars Eller and Ian Schultz in return, I think we
    just got hosed, great. Gauthier is not making me feel good right now.

Future profiles for Eller and Schultz, with IHDB career stats for Eller and Schultz.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

28. likehoy says:

i was talking about dealing with st-louis a while back, and my pick would have been berglund…let’s hope we get him!!

29. Habs4ever Fan says:

Yah now we will have Price vs Price debacle.

Bet you the fool signs MAB now to a 2 year 3 million dollar deal

30. C3P1 says:

I cannot believe it.  I may be one of the biggest price fans around, but Halak has earned a huge place in my heart for his heroics this spring.  you will be missed, jaro.  I bet the cheers will be louder for you than carey when you come back to visit.

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

31. boy from school says:

wow. sell high.

andy macdonald + 1st round pick?

32. coachdoug says:

I know this is the “logical” move…If we get Perron…not for Kariya he is a UFA this year I believe…I love Paul because of his U Maine days but too old…

So much for the goalie controversy…

Gonna miss Jaro…deep down I think this “logical” GM move will bite us in the @ss down the road…

33. Chuck says:

With the salary cap sitting where it will be, my guess is that Walsh priced him out of the market. This would also make it a lot easier to resign Pleks.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

34. NightRyder says:

Ty Conklin and the rights to Garry Unger.

35. habsfansince91 says:

the debate will never end.

36. Don Carnage says:

Good now maybe this will end the Halak vs Price debacle  “who am I kidding”

Hope we got something worth while in return

37. Skotbot says:

Hopefully this is the right move.

As a poster said ” Sell high”

hopefully it doesnt turn out to be ” was high when sold”

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable? Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

38. zozotheclown says:

Halak is a perfect fit for St. Louis. They allow many shots and play mediocre D. Remains to be seen if what we get is a perfect fit for us. McDonald + Backes might solve our Plecks and size problem…

39. SeriousFan09 says:

See what comes our way. Backes would be great, just the kind of sandpaper we need on the top 6.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. IS10 says:

David Perron, TJ Oshie, maybe a first rounder, please please please!!! My heart was in my throat when I read this. I’m gonna miss the Bratislava Beetroot. Halak is a champ.