Audio: Slim pickings from morning skate

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Peter Laviolette | Michael Cammalleri | Hal Gill

Sergei Kostitsyn skates away from head coach Jacques Martin after a brief on-ice meeting this morning. A picture says a thousand words.
Pierre Obendrauf, Gazette

Precious little to report from today’s morning skates, leading us to give thanks to the Boston Bruins; had the Habs met the Bruins in the Eastern final, today would have been another day off before Game 2.

The news from the Wachovia Center: Jacques Martin says he’ll announce any lineup changes after tonight’s warmup. And that would be a first, right?

But don’t look for Ryan O’Byrne in the lineup, since he was skating long and hard after the main group had left the rink. Sergei Kostitsyn? A tête-à-tête with Martin, but he didn’t look happy skating away.

For the Flyers, Jeff Carter didn’t skate with his team, but Ian Laperrière did. No immediate word on the availability of either, head coach Peter Laviolette reminding one and all that it’s GM Paul Holmgren who talks about injuries.

1. The Big O says:

Why is it that we can ALL see that playing O’Byrne and using MAB as a 4th liner is a good thing, but somehow the hab’s coaching staff can’t??  I’ve thought that O’Byrne has played well in the games that he’s suited up for, acquitted himself much better than MAB!  If MAB doesn’t shoot and hit the net, he’s not of much use!

Where’s Gaston Gingras when you need him to ring on off of Ranford’s head and almost knock him out!!

2. Norm0770 says:

I can’t think of any egreious errors by O’Byrne in the games he has played this playoff season.  I also can’t see the positive impact of dressing players to skate 1 or 2 shifts per game.  Dress 7 D-men and use Bergeron on the 4th line and PP.

3. TripleX says:

WE are questioning why O’Byrne is not playing and MAB is playing almost 18 minutes.  SK has nothing to do with it.  Get with the program.

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

4. boris420 says:

Honestly thats the difference between winning a cup NOW and winning one in the future. Veterens win cups! Rookies choke! Funny how we never got this far until we decided to pick up a bunch of vets (out of which most have won the cup). Maybe we should leave the coaching to him…it seems to be working better than any of the past coachs. I pesonally love the way JM adapts to other teams strategy’s and I think he does it better than any other coach in the league.

5. nunacanadien says:

Simple, you play SK cause you know he’s gonna screw up, just so you can please the boss.

6. boris420 says:

If the habs weren’t in the playoffs the season would have been much shorter. And hockey is a fun sport played on ice…oh and your an idiot.

7. boris420 says:

Blaming our insuccess on one guy like Obyrne is idiotic.

8. BJ says:

I disagree. Bertrand Raymond has been a great writer for close to 40 years. I know him personally and he has great contacts and does not pull any punches in his evaluations. If you dislike the French Canadian media switch over to English and see how you like McGuire & CO.

9. boris420 says:

That wouldnt be an insane statement but I think the fact that he stayed later than the other players doing some power skating shows he’s perfectly healthy.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

Eagleson is out of the Hall, he was forced out when Orr and others threatened to resign from the Hall of Fame if they didn’t yank him out of it, Eagleson resigned to avoid the publicity of it. Players get ticked when you dip into the PA pension fund and basically rob Orr of every cent he earned playing hockey.

What ticks me off is Don Cherry will have a giant exhibit there, bigger than some legends of the game when they do put him in there (it will come I’m sure of it) while he espouses one of the most xenophobic opinions about the game ever and going on for years and years that visors are a stupid idea when face protection saves player’s eyesight all around the world.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. dh says:

Right before he got boarded in the last series.

12. HabFanSince72 says:

I should have said the O’Byrne obsession is the new Halak-Price obsession.

13. dh says:

That would be my guess.  JM is planning on having our guys play smart and let the Flyers screw themselves with penalties.  He’s banking on winning with a strong goalie and special teams.  Wait, where did I hear that before?

Who knows?  Maybe it will work.  Like you say, having MAB on the PP forces someone to watch him even if his shot is off lately.   I never thought much of JM but look where we are.

But why not play MAB on the 4th line and put ROB in at D?

14. Malreg says:

So JM gets bashed for NOT playing SK, and now he’s getting bashed for MAYBE playing him.  Nice.

15. BoomBoom says:

Wish I had $10 everytime Bertrand Raymond said that MAB saved the Habs’ season this year…I’d be able to stop contributing to my RRSP.

I don’t understand how Bertrand Raymond is in the Hockey Hall of Fame…the guy’s writing is pathetic, his analysis is awful and he looks and acts like a comlpete d-chebag who’s full of himself. He must be in the Ahole section along with Alan Eagleson and Ron Hextall. A

Also hate Gaston Therrien and Martin Lemay…two morons who like to hear themselves talk but have nothing intelligent to say.

16. dionysi says:

I could not  agree more

17. Bash says:

LMAO!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Lang going down with the tendon injury was the end of hopes of a Kostitsyn-based 2nd line, team couldn’t replace the giant centre that had defined the two brothers enjoying a brief Sedin-like experience for a time, while Lang tied up the opposition. Andrei can’t find the success long enough to build his confidence or he’s being used out of his role. Sergei, he can’t get over his head issues. An unfortunate turn of circumstance, the leadership and experience of Lang was really getting the two going.

When I saw Lang go down last year, all I could think was “this season is right ******”.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. mike g says:

I once hoped AK and SK could play together and form a nice 2nd line….

I took a dump in my office bathrrom on February 17th, 2009, and I saw the hope being flushed down the pipes…..

The 2 brothers are just bums. Tell me what you want about AK, he’s not a champion. Plays one game, takes 20 off.

He makes Kovalev look like Mr. Consistent….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

20. Tis Himself says:

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d rather take a tree into a fight in Philadelphia than a freakin’ garden gnome!

21. mike g says:

I’m not sure about the O’B thing, it’s very puzzling….

Maybe JM wants to keep MAB in the lineup because he knows how important special teams are now. And don’t kid yourself, although MAB hasn’t scored on the PP in a while, the other teams are still forced to watch him 1 on 1 at the point. So it opens up sapce for Cammy and Pleks on the half-wall….

Anyways, I’d still have MAB play the 4th line, and sit Metro. It’s a physical series and his shoulder for sure ain’t anywhere near 100%. Try it out at least with O’B on d, and MAB on the 4th line….

Bope, I’ve questionned JM all year, playoffs excluded for one simple reason; were in the Conference Finals. Ask any coach how hard it is to get there….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

22. SeriousFan09 says:

As a long-time supporter of the Kostitsyn brothers, even I’ve lost my patience with Sergei to this point, maybe it really is a behind the scenes conflict with JM, but his not travelling with the team, his early practice exits, he doesn’t seem to be taking this playoff run as seriously as permanent scratches like Maxwell even. Muller is the player’s coach and if for the most part, he didn’t want Sergei travelling with the team during the must-win games because I have a feeling if he thought Sergei was good with the team, he would’ve fought for the kid to be on the plane.

Sergei’s going out this summer, not liked in the room on a team that has built their success on team-first work, no future here, he’ll go off to Atlanta or someplace like that and languish on a non-playoff team, either learning his lessons when he gets to UFA status and embracing his talent and a work ethic or not, and off to the KHL for him.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

23. mike g says:

I’ll say this in a non-disrespectfull way….

Tell your gf to take her clothes off. Have some fun for an hour. Eat a nice supper at 4:30. Around 5:00 walk the dog, or go get together with your friends to watch the game. 6:00, start pounding down the Molson’s, and at 7:00 enjoy the game….

Now that’s an afternoon…..(man I wish I was at home now, lol.)

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

24. TripleX says:

What did O’Byrne do that JM would rather play SK over him?  Good job JM…..demoralize O’Byrne AND Pouliot!

25. mike g says:

Guys, what’s with all this fuss about SK?

Yeah he’s got talent, but we’ve seen him go games without even being involved in the play. We’ve seen him give zero effort at times, and pull all kinds of stunts. We know he doesn’t have the greatest work ethic, and I question with a giant question mark if he would dive to block a shot during this important game tonight…

Wouldn’t we rather just keep Pouliot in and hope he breaks out. At least it looks like he’s trying, and he dishes out a few hits here and there…And do you think the players would respond if SK gets cracked open-ice tonight? I’m not sure, because according to everyone he’s been pretty much hated by most of the team.

I don’t know, there’s just something about SK that I don’t like.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

26. MTLForever says:

not having OB is idiotic.

27. habbytown says:

if O’byrne isn’t playng, then habs deserve to lose and JM should be fired!

I can’t stand him anyways. his ears remind me of Mr. Spock. what a jackass!

28. SeriousFan09 says:

From Twitter:

yathehabsrule  No O’Byrne in #Habs lineup? So is Martin
    dressing the Zamboni to keep the #Flyers out of Halak’s way?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

29. Mitch.sc says:

My girlfriend just had an really smart idea: What if o’byrne is injured? it’s the only thing that makes sense.

That or he stole another purse.

30. Caballero says:

I think you have to put Obyrne in there. The only reason I can think of besides his tendency to get penalties is that he was knocked out last time we played Philly. Maybe JM wants to send the message that we don’t want to go toe to toe in terms of toughness. In any case, the only way we are going to score is to get some circulation in front of the net. Here is where you need that tough player and I am not sure we have that player. We shall see!

31. ab-hab-nut says:

Or better yet,,,the guys on Antichambre might be paying JM to play MAB, they are all GAGA over him!!

32. Geoff F says:

Anyone else think that maybe they could use O’Byrne to park in front of Leighton’s net A la Dustin Byfuglien?  I realize he probably has cement hands but 6’5″ is bound to be a nuisance to Leighton and Pronger.  I’m sure he can help out Travis Moen in the crash bang department.  even if it’s not full time they could shift him up from time to time to create some Havoc.  i don’t know….i’m just thinking…

33. Storm Man says:

The only thing I can think of is MAB is part of JMs family tree.

34. MarkBark says:

awesome video indeed

35. SeriousFan09 says:

JM has a few faults like most head coaches, but I think his worst has got to be how he treats his young players, mistakes are unforgiveable and result in benching while veterans continously commit errors but get to make up for them later, rookies never get a chance. OB’s had his messed with so much in the last 20 games the team has played it’s gotta suck to be him, watching Hamrlik nearly throw away the entire 4-0 lead for Montreal while he has to sit there and watch it from the press box.

Can’t just bench a kid over every mistake and expect him to be okay.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

36. Storm Man says:

It was obvious you were under alot of stress over this matter. Im glad I made you Laugh so you can get on with the rest of your day.

37. kempie says:

Why is this so easy for all of us to see but JM won’t budge? WTF? Man OB must have done something reeeeeeeaaaaaallllllly bad that we don’t know about. And all the talk about SK74? Like his 1:30 TOI would be the game-breaker. Man this is tough to watch sometimes.

38. MarkBark says:

I couldn’t agree more. On top of that Ryan had the most hits on the team at one point, having played even less games that anyone.

39. Drive_For_25 says:

I agree…and when’s the last time you saw him get that one-timer off??

40. adamkennelly says:

I cannot comprehend JMs line ups – nor can I understand his ice/bench management.  Always seems to have the wrong guys out there at the wrong times – like playing our 5th and 6th D when our 4th line is on – makes no sense.  The Flyers are not blessed with speed – so why on earth sit OB and dress MAB who seriously is the worst D man I have ever seen in a Habs line up – makes Breezer look like Ray Bourque in his prime.  MAB can shoot a 1 timer – THATS it..can’t pass, can’t defend and can’t anticipate puck movement either – evidenced by his constant inability to hold the zone on the PP.  I don’t get it.  If he had 6 PP goals – fine – he has exactly 1 more than ME while playing a lot more..

41. nunacanadien says:

Thanks for the good laugh, needed that.

42. Drive_For_25 says:

If OB doesn’t play tonight I really think we’re throwing away our great chance to do something this year.  Why does MAB even play??  I thought I knew a little something about hockey and I’ve seen absolutely NOTHING out of him these playoffs that say we should be sitting out good players who could help us just to fit this useless player into the lineup.  Whether it’s Darche or OB sitting, both are 100 times the player that MAB is.

43. SeriousFan09 says:

Well it does break up the montony of the Gainey running a puppet regime over the last 3 years to ensure Price played every game angle.

Thing is you can play MAB and O’Byrne in a game, especially with Pouliot having 3 minutes TOI per game, send him to the box and go with the 7th Defencemen, we used it to good effect against Washington after all.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

If Habs lose tonight JM is an idiot. If Habs win tonight JM is an idiot.

45. Storm Man says:

How does Gainey have anything to do with what is going on with SK? and you know Gainey does not want SK to win, can you tell me what the winning number are going to be for lotto max on Friday?

46. greggiemchabfan says:

Sportsnet guys are saying Sergie K. is in any Benoit Poiliot is out. Anyone else hear that?

47. nunacanadien says:

Really, SK should be kept away from the rest of the habs, he is poison now.  I know we all said L’Artiste was poison last year, but what do we know, were we in the dressing room?  No.  But this picture kind of illustrates the reality of pro hockey.  You have management and then you have the hired help.  In this case it looks like the hired help is not wanted.  I know Gainey doesn’t want SK to win, so he’s punishing him by destroying his pro hockey career, not that SK is helping out just a bit too much there too.  We may think the Habs are one team, they sure look that way when Halak is in nets, not so much with Price though, and its when Price is on the ice you see the way the Habs don’t play as a team.  With Halak they gel as a team, and its one player like Halak who can unite the team.  But one player can destroy a team as well, look at what Price did two years ago with his hot/cold record and his hissy fits.  But he is young, so is SK.  How can we expect the Habs to win a cup when the coach is at war with his own team?  Gainey was like that, maybe that is why he chose JM, same aloof style.  This is one team where the team says nothing about how great the coach is, they sure complement Halak, but you know a team is a good team when they also complement the coach.

48. SeriousFan09 says:

Why does JM continue to sit a 6’5″ Defencemen who can crash and bang with the Flyers in favour of a 5’9″ ‘Defencemen’ whose only redeeming value is his slapshot and the only time he had the opportunity to rip one off before he was pressured off the puck was the 4-on-3 against WSH?

Pouliot is going to play 2:30 anyway, DRESS O’BYRNE! Gill is still hurting and MAB is a farce on D against a big, physical Flyers forward group.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

49. longtimehabsfan says:

A story once reported down here on NY sports radio:

When Bill Parcells was with the Dallas Cowboys he had a high draft choice and interviewed two candidates, both linebackers.  One was Shawne Merriman, the other DeMarcus Ware.  Parcells thought Merriman was more talented but after meeting with him he thought he was a jerk.  So he drafted Ware.  And now look at Ware.

50. longtimehabsfan says:

Ian, I manage 50 plus people in my office and I
    am responsible for all personnel decisions.  You are right on on this
    issue.  What I like to look for first, above all else, are two essential
    qualities:

1.  A demonstrated hard work ethic; and

2.  A
    professional, respectful demeanor.

If you don’t have that then I
    move on to the next candidate.  I don’t care how talented you are.

51. Fansincebirth says:

Correct…total team effort which is what has us playing the FLyers right now.

52. dionysi says:

To give you an example, in any industrie that you work in theirs always the employee the boss hates, but this employee has lots of talent but always in the dog house, and on the other side their is the employee who the boss loves but this guy cant get the job done.  who do you play?

53. dionysi says:

54. sillywalk says:

Luongo was not the difference in that matchup. So no, he didn’t win it for Canada, Team Canada won it.

55. Mr.Hazard says:

LOLL that pic!!!

It’s really too bad though… SK has so much potential.

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

56. notbigbird says:

Not strategy. Use of personnel. There’s a difference.

57. mbplekfan says:

Lose with the future. The experience is valuable.

OB for MAB, SK for Darche…

58. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey we work as a team, and we win as a team. we play 5 man defence – not just 2.

….because Luongo as we all know is NOT Mr. Clutch.

wasn’t it Luongo who just won a gold medal game for Canada?

59. longtimehabsfan says:

Love it!!

60. TripleX says:

One could logically debate Halak or Price from a purely hockey standpoint.  Can you really argue playing MAB on D over O’Byrne?

MAB has ONE goal in the playoffs and is a MINUS 10…..O”Byrne is a PLUS 1.  If JM is justifying playing MAB for his offensive skills that is a tremendous FAIL and even JM can’t say MAB is better defensively than O’Byrne.

61. Le Jadester says:

A picture is worth a 1000 words is right. I couldn’t stop laughin’ after seein that pic.  I’m thinkin’ they could have a summer spin off sit com with these two. Man oh man.

Oh well, lets see what SK 74 does with this opportunity.  I am hoping that it becomes a win/win for every one, but at the same time……..not at the expense of Poulio, cause I like both these guys and think that they are both gonna be valuble for us in the years to come. Point being, I would rather lose with SK, BP and RO’By then lets say Metro, Darche or Hammer for that matter. I think its better for the future IMO. Oh ya and with that said, why oh why is O’By out. I just don’t get it ? There’s more than meets the eye with JM.

Habs, OLE !

62. Rudy says:

It’s not a debate though, because the ONE guy who says don’t put O’B in, won’t explain his rationale.

63. Bugs says:

What Halak-Price debate?

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

64. G-Man says:

JM has brought the team to the 3rd round for the 1st time since ’93 and you find fault with his strategy? D’ooooohhhhhh!

65. mike g says:

I was the one who was discussing that, and I said 99% of drafting is luck.

I did exagerate of course, but I’m not that far off. You braught up good points on how the minors work with these players to almost create false immages and impressions of them. But, it still doesn’t matter nearly as much as the luck factor, let me explain…..

The Islanders traded Roberto Luongo and a bunch of talent at the draft for the #1 pick of Rick DiPietro. Everyone knows how that turned out, but luck was involved. At the time, Luongo had 19 games played under his belt, hardly a sign of a HOF career. Rick was the #1 goalie in the draft, and scouts said he had it all. So the Islanders took him, believing the scouts and in the kid who ripped up the minors. If not for injuries and a crappy team, would DiPietro be considered better than Luongo? Or would the trade be considered respectable if Rick had decent numbers, because Luongo as we all know is NOT Mr. Clutch. Well, we don’t know, but injuries have killed that possibility.

The Habs for 15+ years have been drafting “big, strong, skilled players”. Has this worked out? Not really, because like I said before they are forced to pick that. When your turn comes up and you have to choose between a 5 foot 10 kid who scored 120 points in the QMJHL, or a 6 foot 3 kid who scored 89 points in the WHL, you choose the best player in your opinion. Well, the Habs and many teams were not faced with that luxury, they had no choice. They needed the bigger guy, because their lineup already had the Recchi’s, Koivu, Petrov, Turgeon, etc……So, when the smaller guy turns out to be a superstar and the bigger player turns out to be a 3rd liner, the criticism begins. The Red Wings have had zero pressure or needs to fill immediately for 20 years. That clearly explains why they draft amazing players, because they simply draft the best player available and NOT the best player available for what they need now.

You then factor in injuries (that can occur in the NHL, or the minors), the actual head on the players’ shoulder, and a bunch of variables. The most important one though is injuries to the pro-club. If the Habs wouldn’t have been ravaged by injuries this year, would Tom Pyatt have gotten his chance to be one of our best PK guys and energy player? Nope, he would have stayed in Hamilton. And if he wouldn’t have been a throw-in in the Gomez trade, he’d be burried in NYR’s minor league system forever. Yet, now he might have a good carreer as a 3rd line player on our team for years, and people will say the Rangers weren’t able to develop him properly. Well, maybe he develloped late and found a good niche to play in in MTL….

It all comes down to drafting good players of course, otherwise there would be no point to it. But, luck does have an immense factor in determining a players career.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

66. lenny says:

i say trade O’byrne and keep price

67. HabFanSince72 says:

The O’Byrne debate is the new Halak-Price debate.

68. dionysi says:

Its obvious that the problem is with JM. He has issues with these players and he just doesnt want them playing. Obyrne is by far a better stronger defence than MAB but Obyrne with his 6’5 frame will be intimidating the flyers from the press box while they use MAB as a pillon. On the same token Darche will get the best view of the ice without actually touching while someone like SK who could make a difference will be drinking Slush Puppies and  while hime and Obyrne play Thumb wars

69. dionysi says:

Thanks Sam!

71. The Cat says:

Cherry never said visors were stupid, he was against players with visors taking cheap shots/wanting to fight at those without one.

72. InGy says:

May the force be with you tonight and for the rest of the playoffs young Cammalleri

73. pmaraw says:

I heard JM named himself captain.

74. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Crunch Time indeed!!!

75. SeriousFan09 says:

We had Tommy Jagr in Round 1, but then he channeled some Tommy Carbonneau shadowing Crosby for Round 2, what’s his next impression?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

76. pmaraw says:

here’s hoping for some Tommy Lemieux

77. bmt6017 says:

yeah, i just wish he would shutup, be a team player, and play  because he’s definitely a good player..when he ‘wants’ to be

78. B says:

Giving him yet one more chance?
    Shaking things up a bit?
    Desperation?
    Is he really playing tonight?
    Was anything I posted above not true?

79. The Cat says:

I hope the 3rd line gets back to its excellent form tonight. Theyre the sparks.

80. habbytown says:

to give away the puck.

81. The Cat says:

Disappointed but not surprised MAB is in instead of Obyrne…Its all JM cares about is special teams, its all he ever talks about when asked about a game.

82. habbytown says:

I was talking about SCREENS. you know, the kind you put on windows. oh I forgot to explain the meaning of the word “SCREEN”. can you spell that junior?

83. patrice brisebois says:

I’m the new coach for the defencemen and OB is just to big and physical to follow my system,that’s why he doesn’t play and his hair can’t be seen in the same room as mine.. “THE MAB” is the future of the habs defence.

84. Habs4ever Fan says:

Do the Habs play well because of JM or in spite of JM

MAB ???

OB???

Jacques, what are you thinking

Great Period by the Habs. Flyers will lose this game!

85. TripleX says:

Perhaps I am dyslexic so I reread your original post to make sure.  I see none of those remarks in the posting I replied to.

86. Habs4ever Fan says:

I am not worried about Leighton

He will be beaten oh yes He will be beaten

87. Habs4ever Fan says:

and definately sung my a very nice looking woman!

Habs will win the Cup when they start playing Roger Doucet again at the Bell Center!

88. terrygain says:

Clueless.

89. B says:

?
    You asked for a rationale and I provided 3 guesses. I then asked if S.Kostitsyn is really playing tonight. Finally, I asked what in my above post was not true, since you said “Assuming for arguments sake everything you have said is true”.

I don’t understand your quandary.

90. terrygain says:

Right on. Martin couldn’t beat Quinn despite having vastly superior personnel.

91. terrygain says:

but c’mon JM use your brain

He is. And the results are obvious.

92. ManApart says:

IF he is in the line up, it would obviously mean JM is satisfied that he got the message that his behavior was wrong and won’t be tolerated and he will get one more shot at redemption.

93. TripleX says:

Oh, ok I get it now, it was response.  Sorry, I am slow sometimes.  LOL

94. ManApart says:

To JM, 5 on 5 is just a time to waste and do everything you can to bog down the game, hopefully creating a stalemate. Then you try to score on the PP and not allow a goal on the PK and win 1-0. That’s JM’s dream game, not that it works out like that. His all time dream is to be the Jersey Devils from the ’90’s under Lemaire. JM almost died, in  game 7 vs the Caps, he was so pleased. 2-1 game. One PP goal by MAB, perfect PK. Outshot and outchanced by a mile, but held steady. JM was in heaven.

95. Cut To The Chase says:

It’s kind of ironic, but the real reason the Martin/sens tandem never won anything is because they never had a goalie. LaLime was a sieve, Hasek quit and Emery was a nut job. He had the horses, he just never had a goalie.

96. sholi2000.com says:

Target his foot, and the other’s head.  It’s no secret and has been going on for decades.

They Call Me Shane

97. Chris says:

Agree and disagree, Ian.  We’ve both watched a lot of OHL over the years, and I can’t count the number of can’t miss prospects that have passed through the league who missed.  In Philly’s line-up tonight is an example…Ryan Parent.

I watched Ryan Parent a lot here in Guelph.  He partnered Drew Doughty when Doughty broke into the league and was dominated defensively on Team Canada (along with partner Marc Staal) at the World Juniors.  In the OHL, he was arguably as dominant a player as Doughty despite having limited offensive skills.  Nobody has anything negative to say about him…he’s a great kid, smart and works hard.

Yet it just hasn’t worked out for him (thus far…I’m still holding on to the idea that he will develop into a very good defensive defenceman!).

I agree with you that great scouts can hit far more often than they miss, but one need only look at some of the best scouting teams in the NHL for proof that scouting is not an exact science.

Detroit drafted Mike Sillinger and Bob Boughner ahead of Nicklas Lidstrom in 1989…both were good NHL players, but neither of them are sure-fire, first ballot Hall of Famers like Lidstrom.

Detroit also drafted 7 players in front of Pavel Datsyuk in 1998, and 3 more in front of Henrik Zetterberg in 1999.  Those 10 players have accumulated 340 games total over their careers, while Zetterberg and Datsyuk went on to become superstars.  That Detroit was more sold on the other guys confirms to me that while drafting Zetterberg and Datsyuk is evidence of great scouting, drafting them so late is evidence that the Red Wings got unbelievably lucky with those picks.

98. ManApart says:

I understand everyone with O’Byrne. I agree, He should play a limited 6th Dman role and MAB should be on the 4th line, but relax people. Since when did O’Byrne become Scott Stevens? Philly is laughing at everyone killing themselves over the matter of which 6th Dman should play. In the end, if the Habs lose, it won’t be because O’Byrne didn’t play. When they won games, it wasn’t because he was so great playing 12 mins a game in the best possible situations by in large. It was because the guys who had to be great, were (Halak, Cammy etc.)

99. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

I’m scared.

100. duckdoc73 says:

Prediction: Game 2: Habs 2- Philly 1

”      3:        3-         1

4:        4-         2

5:        7-         1

Let’s banish Kate Smith to an Eating Disorders clinic

Let’s CRUSH THE ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

101. _Habsoloutly_ says:

If one of the bigger Philly forwards scores a garbage goal in front of the net becuase MAB couldn’t push him out of the way then yes it will matter.

102. DavidKB says:

That was the best O Canada I’ve heard outside Canada. Can’t say I’m liking God Bless America.

103. MTLForever says:

he better play well or he wont play again

104. Nina76 says:

What a stupid decision Sergie has done nothing up to this point looking on the bench he never talks to any of the other players he is weird………….GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!

105. j2w4habs25 says:

We need to tie the series up tonight before the seires goes back to the Bell Centre. Like we did it in Pitts, Wash we can do it here :)

106. lenny says:

when ever i travel for work i like to wear my habs t-shirt out…just to see if anyone knows what it is. sure enough wether in Alabama, mississippi  usually get some recognition

107. Habsforlife 1959 says:

The picture says it all about SK74 and JM. Both are seeing things in the opposite direction. Habs will lose another promising young star who will light it up somewhere else next season. Pathetic.

SK74 was playing well before he made a few mistakes and ended up in the dog house for good. As for obie… its ashame he has to sit. Odd man out with surplus on D. Hope he will get his chance soon. Go Habs Go!!!

108. punkster says:

Slim’s finest role:

FEEL THE PRIDE!

109. habbytown says:

here’s an idea. when habs go on the PP, put Gill in fron of Leighton as a screen.

you know there is nobody besides Chara as tall as Gill.

I had to laugh when I saw 5’6″ Gionta in front of Leighton. yes what a wonderful screen, the shortest player in the NHL. I mean it was hilarious. I love his dedication, but c’mon JM use your brain.

PUT GILL AS A SCREEN. Leighton won’t see a damn thing.

110. Say Ash says:

Pronger does it often.

111. ManApart says:

SK74 has nobody to blame but himself. The organization gave him a great chance to establish himself at a young age and he blew it. Not necessarily because of his skills, but because of his rotten attitude. Even his own teammates didn’t support him. With an attitude like that, he’ll never make it anywhere. Looks like he will get one last shot tonight.

112. chilli says:

I laugh at all you folks still questioning the coach. What? We’re still playing folks – that’s rare air. Do I need to remind you of all the other teams playing golf!

He has done a masterful job at player management, ice time management and game plan. JM knows so much more about the game, the playoffs and the players than anyone on this board.

And the little tits debate…. please. We won the last two series with 3 lines, 4 D and a goalie. These Pouliots, Darches, Little Tits debates are useless. These players serve one purpose – to allow our top players to rest for a shift here and there.

Go Habs from Cali!

113. pmaraw says:

Chara does it as well

114. pmaraw says:

MAB will be 1st star

115. TripleX says:

JM’s record in regular season games is .550 and in playoff games is .467.  He has made it to the Conference Finals once before with an incredible talented Senators team and lost.

With that record I would hardly call JM masterful in any respect.

116. habbytown says:

how many cups has Mr. brillant won?

117. TripleX says:

If he is such a terrible, rotten, individual who according to you even his team mates despise. I have one question?  Why would he be in the line up?

118. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Any word on the line up for tonight’s game?

119. Habs_Fan_1 says:

Those stats are irrelevant unless you want to compare them to another coach with the exact same team with the exact same circumstances, which simply doesn’t exist. Anything else is pure opinion.

120. Bugs says:

If only the Sutters were here.

They would know how to coach in the 3rd round of the playoffs, right, Timo?

Superfluously redundant, I remain

121. Habs_Fan_1 says:

You’re absolutely right! Gionta could never deflect a shot if his life depended on it. His hand-eye coordination is pathetic and can only rival my sarcasm in this post.

122. punkster says:

You too? Come on man, use your head on this one please. Why is OB not playing?

FEEL THE PRIDE!

123. Xtrahabsfan says:

No O’ Byrne tonight eh! Well fu*k put in Price ,Sergie  and Maxwell aswell.Ya ,Sit Halak and Gionta and Gomez….SO STUPID!

124. TripleX says:

So under your theory we should throw out all stats.  Sure Crosby scored 51 goals but what if Cammi was on that team with those line mates?  Goalie stats?  What if this goalie or that goalie was on that team?

WOW YOU ARE SO RIGHT DUDE!  All stats are meaningless!   Scrap all the awards they are a farce!

Really dude?

125. slamtherimtim says:

i think we could use SK’s fresh legs and 210 lbs , put him with plecs and his bro , move metro to play with cammy and moen , i want a win so bad , i’m thinking kirk muller should go out for a draw or two

126. longtimehabsfan says:

Actually, Breezer was spotted outside the Habs locker room earler today.

127. Habs_Fan_1 says:

The coaching staff as a whole seems to have done a good job at both identifying deficiencies and implementing adjustments when required. Ultimately, the players still have to execute.

128. SeriousFan09 says:

Price is 6’3″, we could have him screen Leighton.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

129. Habs_Fan_1 says:

Obviously not a believer in any context behind stats are you? A fan of logical thinking? Scientific method? Nay you say? Didn’t think so…

130. MontrealAtheist says:

OMG … Leighton almost makes Halak look like Fleury.

131. punkster says:

One less than his counterpart in Philly, the same number as the other 2 coaches in the semis. Hardly solid ground for your argument.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

The Draft Is Not Luck—It Is Pure Skill And Art Form

My blog

There was some discustion this morning on the other page about the draft being only luck. So I put down some of my thoughts

How many times have I read that the drafting of a 17 year old is all
    luck and a crap shoot. Well it is, for most teams and scouts who are
    not adapt enough in knowing how to evaluate the total package that they
    are investing in.

There is so much at play here than most people
    realize. Everyone around the player has their own agenda and I will
    touch on a few to give you some idea.

First, the team that the
    player plays for makes a lot of their money from having their player
    drafted as high as possible. They receive development dollars from the
    organisation that drafts their players. So there is a great sales pitch
    to the scouts and pro clubs. A player receives ice time to pad their
    stats sometimes so that their product is more appealing for the draft.
    Junior clubs market these kids as any business promotes their product.
    So how do the scouts get to know the real deal.

Second,  Agents
    that want to add potential money making kids to their stable of
    clients. Agents and Lawyers help to groom these kids in how to carry
    themselves in public to add attention and value for the eventual draft
    investor. Agents are pitching their clients to the scouts all the time

Third,
    Parents that want the best for their son and have no clue how the
    system works are often confused in how to manage the situation between
    all the interested parties.

Forth, the player himself, who has
    his own ideas of what he wants to do with his life. And what kind of
    coaching he has had and is receiving.

So you see, It takes a real
    professional scouting team to cut through all the smoke and get to what
    will be a very valuable product to bring to his organisation.

There
    is so much to evaluate. It takes hundreds of hours. Not only watching
    the players for years on the ice. His skills and mannerism in games and
    at practices. The way he comes on and goes of the ice, how he
    communicates and gets along with team mates during off ice as well. How
    well he does at school and how he gets along at home including where he
    is billeting.

Just like some hockey players that cut corners in
    trying to do their job, Scouting teams often do the same by not knowing
    there investment fully. Talking to his club or his agent or reading
    press clippings is not near enough. They need to know the parents and
    siblings and the overall family philosophy that he was brought up in.
    They need to have a personal and business relationship with the player
    to have a more complete picture of their future asset.

Yes there
    is some luck in the acquisition on draft day,  but it takes super star
    scouts and much understanding to discover the diamonds in the rough.

133. bmt6017 says:

Darche is useless, can jm please..dress sergei  enough with the grade school fighting and who doesnt like who, sergei has offensive talent, hes a good player, so now that hes been benched for 10 games straight (or something like that) maybe he’ll go hard, especially if hes put on a line with some other offensive talent, oh and pouliot hasnt done anything all playoffs yet he keeps getting his spurts with gionta gomez   and MAB over O’byrne..well thats just a whole other story

134. Drive_For_25 says:

MAB is the worst player EVER to play in this league…..RESPECT!!!!!

135. MontrealAtheist says:

I totally agree … Much better than the boring old guy who always sings at the Bell Centre. Looks like we are being both outplayed and outsung.

136. Habs_Fan_1 says:

I concur!

137. TripleX says:

Really professor?  Explain how a goalies stats are any less meaningful than that of a coaches?

Timo, you s,,, disturber. Anything to get this place going. Having fun the Timo way!

139. megagoten says:

what do we do when carter and laperriere play again?

140. B says:

S.Kostitsyn is a bit of a head case and a high maintenance player. He has not yet shown to be worth all of the fuss and extra attention required by the team to try and keep him content. After first sitting, it was reported that he asked the team to let him go play at the World Championships while the Habs remain in the playoff hunt. He also walked out early on a practice. He should have been listening, working hard in practice, thinking of the team first and not trying to rock the boat. Is it that hard to understand why he has not been in the coach’s good books lately?

Skate circles around them, fast!

142. pmaraw says:

you might be onto something with all the shots that get past price…

143. Bash says:

And what exactly is MAB’s role??????????

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

144. Say Ash says:

Jagr scoring in overtime took place more than a month ago. Holy crap!

145. TripleX says:

Assuming for arguments sake everything you have said is true.  Then what rationale is there for putting this dog in the line up?

146. TripleX says:

I don’t think JM is incompetent, but he holds grudges and is as stubborn as a spoiled little girl.  I hate how he destroys the confidence and careers of talented young players.

147. terrygain says:

You’ve done a very good job of describing something you say you don’t believe. If holding grudges and destroying the confidence of talented young players aren’t measures of incompetence, what are?

148. 100HABS says:

Winning the cup would be quite a feat, something to remember for the rest of my life. I still have extremely fond memories of 1993 and would imagine this one to be the same.

Having “a piece” of those two ladies for one year… Which piece? You would have to better define the terms. Are we talking one hour per week? Are we talking full availability 100% of the time? At the same time? I think I would remember that fondly for the rest of my life as well.

Then again, do we also have to deal with their day-to-day moods and crap? Then definitely the cup…

149. Habhopeful says:

“Then again, do we also have to deal with their day-to-day moods and crap? Then definitely the cup”

Lol Gimme the cup, gimme the cup!

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!”

~Rodney Dangerfield~

150. badangel says:

Habs win the cup and the excitement makes women happy/horny

i’d go for the cup. then again I’m a girl and not really into girls.. so…

151. Habs_Juve says:

I’ll take the cup and one lady, OK?

MD

152. KenD29 says:

Hmmm..

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

153. Natrous says:

LOL – good call

154. mike g says:

Not an option….

If you want 1 lady, it comes with Conference Champs, but no Cup….

Think about it, think!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

155. GoalieT says:

I die-hard fan would say THE CUP!!!
    But invite those two to the party. :)

Ultimate Die-Hard Since 1986. T.

156. steadyjake says:

During the winter olympics I was asked whether, as a native Canadian, I would rather have Canada win the gold or the Habs win the Cup. I figured the latter was the more unlikely and asked Santa Claus to return the Stanley’s bowl to Quebec where it belongs.

Im just sick over how far we haev come (I didnt give us a prayer against Wash and Pitt) and to blow it now against a team that was so awful in mid-season we were talking about trading them Halak for van Riemsdyk back then. Yes, we were. We dont match up as well against the Flyers but we are so close now, I would send the Brasilian women’s v-ball team packing for a chance at the hardware. You bet.

157. mike g says:

And you guys call yourselves Habs fans!!!!!

If you were, you’d do like me; take the Cup so this way the whole city can enjoy it. And then, you pick up some fancy ladies at the parade!!!

We all know how many would be there…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

158. Bob Barker says:

The Cup for sure. Bob Barker already has his beauties.

159. Fansincebirth says:

Gimme the cup. Besides, those ladies look like they already have their hands full…..

160. MontrealAtheist says:

We’ve waited 17 years already for the Cup, I don’t mind waiting one more year :-)

161. Storm Man says:

I would take the Habs winning the cup this year, As all the partys in Montreal for the cup win you could have all kinds of fancy ladies all summer long.

162. slapshot777 says:

Let’s get in there guys and screen Leighton, he can’t stop what he can’t see. One thing I’ve noticed so far in this series,is the defensemen are constantly out of position and it’s not caused by the Flyers.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

163. WindsorHab-10 says:

It is criminal having O’Byrne sit and that bum MAB on the ice. He’s absolutely useless. The hell with his shot which he hasn’t used yet because he’s too busy making dumb passes.

164. FSUPhi1584 says:

This would be my lineup:

• Cammy-Pleks-AK
    • Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
    • Moen-Moore-SK
    • Pyatt-Metro-Lapierre

On D:

• Spacek-Subban
    • Hamrlik-OB
    • Gill-Gorges
  165. Kooch7800 says:

Sk will not be in the line up. OB will not be in the line up.  We will have the same roster as last game .  If Halak struggles again tonight I would honestly put in Price.  I know that sounds idiotic but Price is a big goalie who can see over guys more than Halak. Goal tending is not the issue with this team though.  It is clearing the net and scoring goals.

166. Ayan_SB says:

If Sergei really plays tonight, why not try this?

Cammy-Gomez-Gio
    SK-Pleks-AK
    Moen-Moore-Laps
    Pyatt-Metro-Bergeron

Hammer-PK
    Spacek (finally on the correct side) – OByrne
    Gill-Gorges

Instead Darche will dress again, have about 1:30 of icetime, while PK’s gonna be stuck with MAB all game.

167. terrygain says:

Please remove your comment. It’s embarrassing. It makes entirely too much sense and underlines Martin’s incompetence.

168. TripleX says:

Ice your best possible lineup which gives the best chance of success?  That is not part of the “system” dude.  The “system” requires your team getting out shot two to one, the goalie standing on his head and Cammi or Gionta being incredibly opportunistic on their few chances.

169. terrygain says:

Pouliot played great until he learned the Martin system – which is to play scared. We have B+ players, an A+ goalie and a C- coach.

170. TripleX says:

I rather doubt any coach has a positive or negative effect on a professional hockey player in the first two months.  The effect is felt after six months or so.  We all know how that went with Pouliot.

171. CalgaryHabsFan says:

I like that lineup although I think with the way Pouliot has been playing I would move Moen up to the second line and drop Pouliot down to the third.

___________ Never date a Flyers fan even if she shaves her moustache!

172. Nina76 says:

If you want to win for heaven’s sake GET IN FRONT OF THE NET THAT’S THE ONLY WAY WE ARE GOING TO SCORE. Habs are playing better to-nite. Why is Obyan not playing we need the weight…….Go Habs Go!!!!

173. lenny says:

when was the last time the habs were playing with the temp houvering around 25C, you were wearing shorts and going to eat BBQ before settling down to watch the game..spring hockey is sic!

174. mike g says:

Well….

If a Habs fan lives in Florida,……he’s been doing that for years!!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

175. mrstewart61 says:

O’Byrne is one of only 3 Habs who is a plus in the playoffs.  He, Moore and Moen are all +1.  Bergeron is the worst at -10.  Bergeron should move to the 4th line and O’Byrne on D, not just for his size.

———————————————————————————————————————-

If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

176. habitual says:

Agreed.  Why not have OB go stand in front of the net on the PP?  And with PK and Spacek available they can run the PP.

177. Geoff F says:

Here’s your insane thought of the day.  Put Moen, O’Byrne & Price in and have them crash the net.  Hey didn’t Price say he wanted to fight someone at some point (well here’s his chance).  Also i hear he has a good slapshot so what the heck…. Seems to make more sense than playing MAB….

Today’s insane thought was brought to you by the Letters F & U.

178. boris420 says:

I like this idea very much, it would make good use of price. One thing I give him credit for is his puck handling skills and his shot…so why not!

179. emann_222 says:

Sorry – I know that I’ve semi-defended MAB in the past two series … but are you kidding me? Tonight is going to either prove JM brilliant or candidate for a new job.

180. vic says:

You can tell by the picture what JM thinks about sr.

same thing with OBurne.

Pouliot has lost his confidence,why? JM

181. Malreg says:

Who was coaching Pouliot his first 2 months after being acquired, where he went from barely be able to make the Wild roster to something like 0.80 goals per game? Oh wait, it was Jacques Martin.

Anybody can play “let’s blame every single bad thing on the coach, but none of the good things”.

182. lenny says:

true, i meant local….

183. ab-hab-nut says:

is there anyway we can “Tweet” JM all of our ideas?? Surely if he reads
    all of our posts he will listen? Is he tweetable?

184. TripleX says:

JM no longer uses Twitter.  Twitter failed to startup properly once so JM banished him to the trash bin and since there is no veteran alternative he is twitless.

185. W35T5ID3 says:

Tonight the Subbanator is 1st star.Mark my words.

186. munch17 says:

I don’t really get it – playing O’byrne instead of MAB would actually strengthen 2 positions – O’byrne on the right and Spacek is more comfortable on the left.

MAB is still capable of getting a goal but the fact is our PP has been weak with him – opponents have taken the shot away and he has been horrible bringing the puck up and keeping it in the zone.

Anyways – JM and company get paid the big bucks so I hope they know what they’re doing….

187. lenny says:

I will be on the road next week travelling for work…I assume this series is going at least 6 games. So, i know this has been asked before but will the games be available live on cbc sports website? if not what other streaming sites are there.I need to watch it and it will be very hard to find it in Alabama and Mississipp :)

188. pmaraw says:

yes to cbcsports altho i don’t know if you can get it in the states…

189. soflohabsfan says:

Versus carries the playoffs here in the states most sports bars will have just ask em to put it on! CHeers

“The Future Belongs to Those Who Believe in the Beauty of Their Dreams.” Eleanor Roosevelt

190. pmaraw says:

r u sure jm is twitless?  i mean he has all of us right?  jkjk

191. slapshot777 says:

So far Halak not even close to the same goalie we saw in the first two series. I’d say he has a 600 save percentage so far in two games. 2 goals tonight on 13 shots. That last goal used to stick to Halak like velcro now they are just dropping in front of him.

The two goals the Flyers have scored tonight have not been a result of screens or deflections. Now after saying that our team is just not driving to the net. It’s like they have come this far and they are content. Leighton plays two games so far in the playoffs and all of a sudden he is a world beater.

The only ones making Leighton look good is the Habs. He hasn’t had to make a difficult save so far in these two games. and all he as to do is make the first save and no one is even close to the rebound. It’s like the puck is some kind of a disease and the Habs don’t want to touch it.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

192. steadyjake says:

OB has to be in lineup. MAB takes a million years to make a decision in his own zone and when he does it always catches the stick of a Flyer. MAB’s PP onetimer has been non-existant without Markie feeding it. Need OB’s size in front…period.

193. ab-hab-nut says:

Totally, unequivocally,  100% agree with you!!

194. mike g says:

Dude, in all honesty I have to ask you a question…

What would you rather have? The Habs win the Cup this year, or a piece of those 2 fancy ladies in ur pic for one whole year?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

195. pmaraw says:

GO HABS GO!!!

196. avatar_58 says:

That look tells me all I need to know about SK74 ever coming back

197. Natrous says:

Wow – that would surprise me a lot, but then again stranger things have happened

198. Norm0770 says:

A 6-0 pasting and no changes?  Getting pushed around in front of their own net and no changes?  Really?

Bergeron was not the only player to blame for that loss, but he did very little to help and I can’t see that changing tonight.

O’Byrne is the most physical d-man on the roster, skates well but lacks confidence.  The paradox with his confidence is the more he plays the more he improves.  I’d take his size over Bergeon’s experience against the Flyers.

199. Fansincebirth says:

I’m just not getting the whole O’B thing by JM.MAB looked like a scared kitten in our end and coughed up the puck on more than one occaission. Not blaming him for the loss but when you have the means to insert some size and toughness into the lineup to counteract people in front of the net, you take it.

JM must have something in mind….

200. terrygain says:

You’re looking for something that ain’t there. MAB is minus 11 after 15 games.  He’s too small to clear the front of the net and he makes one zany pass after another.  O’B is our only hitter and is plus/minus zero after 10 games. Martin is incompetent.

201. alfieturcotte says:

Dumbfounded by JM’s decision to sit O’B in favor of Darche and not move MAB to the 4th line.  Sunday night’s game could not be more clear that MAB does not have the skating ability or strength to combat the stronger and faster Flyer forwards.  We have a better shot of clearing the net or poke checking the puck with O’B……

202. tdrmoss84 says:

Agreed 100 X over!  O’B must be out there to handle the traffic in front of the net and to punch that ugly mug Scottie Hartnell in da face!  Move MAB up front and still utilize him on the PP.  Boy I miss our Swiss defensemen Mr. Streit.

203. tdrmoss84 says:

204. TripleX says:

MAB played almost 18 minutes last game and any fool could see he was scared and unable to handle the Flyers and was a huge liability.

If JM plays the same lineup and continues with MAB instead of O’Byrne then how do you explain it?  Can it be justified from a purely hockey standpoint?  I think not.  Then it must be personal, and that is just stubborn and wrong.  A coach has to put the team before personal feelings.  Ironic how everyone who supports JM says he demands teamwork above anything else.

205. terrygain says:

Martin’s incompetence couldn’t be more obvious.

206. Habfan29 says:

I agree, MAB and Pouliot should sit in favour of O’Bryne and SK, we need some grit in the lineup. If MAB is playing defense again forget it game over……..I am a goalie and I have one defenceman that play like MAB and I am forever screaming at him during the games, I wonder what Halak is saying or thinking? Oh no not MAB again here comes a cough up!!!!!!F__K MAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

207. InGy says:

HAHA – well put

I wish i had the confidence in MAB as JM does. what did O’B do to get put in the dog house?